Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the dan ET's Dan Patrick Show. We've done a lot of recapping what we saw last night. Who's more super Bowl worthy? The Chargers of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Vegas says the Chargers right now, but Tampa outlast Houston, Houston, we have a problem. They win it twenty to nineteen. The Chargers handled the Raiders, but the bigger issue was Tom Brady in the coaches booth last night with a headset on helping Chip Kelly with the offense. Joe Burrow out for at least three months. JJ McCarthy out for at least two weeks, maybe a month. You've got Justin Fields and Jaden Daniels are iffy as well. College football rankings came out Ohio State, Penn State, LSU, Miami, Georgia, Oregon, Florida State, Texas, Illinois, and Texas A and M eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address, DPA, Dan pat dot com Twitter handle a DP show Saturday college football Live on NBC in Peacock, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Purdue A Notre Dame and finally on Big Ten Saturday night. It's Illinois and Indiana. Say good morning to those watching on Peacock. Thank you for downloading the app. Are Radio affiliates. Poll question for the final hour of the program is going to be what seed O'Connor?
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 4: Let me update you here. Who looks more super bowlish? Chargers have about sixty seven percent of that vote. Okay, to an OAFC team that won't make the playoffs? Your options there, Bill's Chargers, Bengals, Colts. Bengals have seventy seven percent of the all right, so they're buying into my Colts here, all right?
Speaker 2: I like it. Danny in second place there, Danny dimes whether or not in last though, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: Your Colts had the highest scoring margin in the NFL, outscoring their opponents so far.
Speaker 2: You sound surprised.
Speaker 6: I think America is surprised.
Speaker 2: H I'm not America. I just try to entertain America. And so does Dean Blandinos segue Fox Sports, NFL college football rules analyst, former NFL VP of Officiating, watching the game. Next thing I know, Dean Blandino's says he's done with the toush push can't officiate. I go, Dean, your microphone is on. What was what was the reaction? Why did you have that reaction in the moment?
Speaker 7: That was a visceral reaction.
Speaker 8: Look, we had the game obviously Chiefs Eagles, big Super Bowl rematch, and you know, we had a couple of the Eagles. Look the play, they run it better than anyone else, and they work at it and it's impressive what they do. But just in that game, we had a couple two goal to goal plays. Third down looks like Hertz is in, they rule them short. It's really tough to review. Can't see the football all these bodies. Next play fourth and goal, they will touchdown. You've got both guards moving early. Should have been a false start. Then later in the game another big first down conversion and you've got the guard moving early. So it just got to the point for me where I've never I've been on record, I don't love the play. It was illegal to push runners forever, you know, since the inception of the league until two thousand and five. We took it out, and in hindsight, I think that was a mistake, and now we're stuck with this play that that is a really difficult play to officiate. It just is and personally it's not a I just don't think it's a great play to watch.
Speaker 2: But you can officiate this by calling the guards, you know, off side. Why don't we start with that, no question?
Speaker 7: Look, look those are those should have been called.
Speaker 8: That's not that I'm not condoning and making an excuse for that.
Speaker 7: Was that should have been called.
Speaker 8: But I think once you take that out of the mix, it's just with all those bodies and trying to get the spot and we're trying to be perfect on these spots, and now we have virtual measurements, it's.
Speaker 7: Just a tough play.
Speaker 8: My thing is, it's just not a it's it's not when you think about the rules, it's just not a fair play. The defense can't push the runner back and gain an advantage. There's always forward progress, but we let the offense do it. And and look, I was watching the highlights of the Cowboys Giants game and the fourth quarter that's everything the NFL is.
Speaker 7: You've got, you know, Russ.
Speaker 8: Wilson is is to elite neighbors and Dak leading. And then in the history of the tush push, not once have I ever seen it on Sports Center's top ten plays.
Speaker 7: I just haven't.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't know how these officials spot the ball in that scrum. I really don't. Now you have the overhead shot, but those the officials, they can't rely on that overhead camera shot. Can they just spot the ball.
Speaker 7: After the fact in review.
Speaker 8: Yes, But but you've got two officials that are down the line looking at it, and they're they're gonna they're gonna come in as the play, you know, as the as the pile kind of starts, and try to get a look at the football and quite frankly, look at the goal line mechanically. And this this has been the deal forever. If they don't see the football, they're not going to rule on it. They're going to go in dig in the pile. And if the ball is over the goal line at that point, that's a touchdown. And so that ball may have been short, but eventually it worked its way after the runner was on the ground over the goal line.
Speaker 7: So again, it's a tough play that's been look.
Speaker 8: Short yardage plays are tough sneaks, those types of things. But I think this play just kind of adds another layer to it.
Speaker 2: But Dean, I am shocked that the officials didn't convey this to the owners to say we're having a hard time officiating this. This is no bias against anybody. This is we're trying to do our job and we can't do our job given the context of this play. I don't know if that's enough of an out for the NFL and these owners this next go around. They it's not a pretty play. We know that if I can't spot the ball and do my job, then that factors in something else. They keep trying to say health. There's no data yet of injuries there. You can't say, hey, somebody's going to get hurt, which they probably will. But you got to say, hey, guys, esthetically, it's not pleasing and we can't do our job. Is that enough to have them get rid of this play?
Speaker 8: It should be when you think about like I said, it's not when we think offense, defensive balance, it's not a fair play when you do have the difficulty in officiating, and that's when you look at rules changes, you look at player safety, you look at competitive equity, and you look at officiating consistency. And if you can't consistently officiate this, it's a problem.
Speaker 7: I think everybody.
Speaker 8: Look, they were two votes short of getting it out. I think everybody had Each club had its own reasons. I do believe because the Eagles won the Super Bowl, there were some teams that didn't want to come across is we can't stop this play. We're going to take the easy route and we're going to vote it out. I think if they don't win the Super Bowl and we still have issues with this play, there's probably a better chance that it goes away.
Speaker 2: Talking to Dean Blandino, he used to be the head of officials for the NFL. He doesn't need that headache anymore. Fox Sports, NFL college football rules analysts, even the neutral zone like it seems like there's there's an infraction on every one of these toush pushes. And I don't the Eagles would still be successful. They would with with Jalen Hurts. You don't need somebody pushing from behind. You can still call it a quarterback sneak. I just can't have somebody pushing from behind. That just seems you want to think about an injury. You could have an injury with your quarterback being pushed from behind. Jamin Is you know head in there.
Speaker 9: But.
Speaker 7: No question and look, and I agree with you.
Speaker 8: And I was talking to somebody yesterday at one of the clubs, and I think the Eagles would be successful on QB sneaks.
Speaker 7: QB sneaks.
Speaker 8: You know, that's a high percentage play when it's third and one, fourth and one, So they would be successful. And that's why I don't think this needs It was illegal forever. I don't know why we need to keep this push. We don't let the defense do it.
Speaker 7: Why are we letting the offense do it?
Speaker 2: Point of emphasis with taunting this year? How did this come about?
Speaker 8: I think the league the data that they presented in the off season, and how they quantify this, I don't know. But they said, okay, they said they said taunting was up like fifty percent. Violent gestures, sexually suggestive, those types of things that are in bad taste were up.
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean it was like one hundred and thirty percent whatever the number was.
Speaker 8: So they've obviously looked at film and they felt, okay, identified these actions and they want to emphasize it because it it does look sportsmanship is important, it's something you know it. Trey has that trickle down effect. Kids are watching those types of things and you saw it. I mean there was a big play in that in that Dallas Giants scheme where where you had three fouls on the Giants, three fouls and CD Lamb gets up and gets a taunt and it all offset. So it's a big penalty and this is going to be a major deal. You know, as long as this emphasis is in place.
Speaker 2: And protecting quarterbacks, has anything changed.
Speaker 8: Nothing's changed. I think we've gone again player safety. Health and safety is the top priority. I think we've gone a little too far with some of these hits. I think the quarterback position obviously, it's you're in a defenseless posture when you're in that passing posture and your focus is downfield. So yeah, the headneck area, those types of things, the late hits, I do think we've you know, we see some of these hits where it's just a defensive player, especially a big defensive lineman, you know, fighting through blocks and making a tackle and just happens to land the wrong way and it's fifteen yards. I think that's tough. But that's not going away that you listed all these injuries that we have in this league, right, we need the Joe Burrows, we need the Jayden Daniels and so they're going to protect that position.
Speaker 2: What about listening in on replay? We've seen this with the acc I've been saying for years, I think with gambling, with total transparency, and I don't know if that's enough that the NFL or the officials are going to say, yeah, come on in and listen. But boy'd be entertaining.
Speaker 8: What do you think would definitely be entertaining because I've been involved in a lot of discussions where if that went out publicly, people, we definitely definitely.
Speaker 7: You know, get a chuckle out of it. Look, I think can you.
Speaker 10: Give me it?
Speaker 2: For instance, though without names.
Speaker 7: No, I'll I'll look. I was involved in a very controversial play.
Speaker 8: You might have heard of it, the des Bryant play, you know, Packers Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Should have been a touchdown by the way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there you go. So the play happens that we see it happen.
Speaker 8: I'm watching, you know, Mike mccartheugh's coaching the Packers at the time, and in my head, I'm going, he's going to throw the challenge flag.
Speaker 7: He's going to throw the challenge back. And as soon as it came out, I said to the room. Get ready the.
Speaker 8: S h I T is about to hit the fan because I knew it was going to be controversial either way, right, So, so those conversations and I think it's it's it's two sides. I think transparency is so important, like you said, because if you can just listen in, it eliminates any of the conspiracy. Right now, it might it might be like, Wow, those guys don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 7: You know, it might go from conspiracy to competence. You don't want that, but but it.
Speaker 8: Definitely would eliminate some of that, some of that hey, what what are they doing?
Speaker 7: We we just don't get it.
Speaker 2: If you had it, I'll give you a do over with Dez Bryant.
Speaker 7: Under the current rule. Now, that was the that was the rule. That was an easy one. Today it's a catch, and I get it. I understand why people would have thought that that was a catch. It was a layup, damn come.
Speaker 2: On, stupid rule. Right, well, it.
Speaker 7: Was a I think the catch rule.
Speaker 8: I think the problem we ran into is that forever before replay, the catch rule was written so the on field officials could make that call in real time, right, they can't slow it up.
Speaker 7: They can't.
Speaker 8: So that was the rule and that's why, you know, hold on to it when you hit the ground was a thing. But now we have replay, it changes how we can look at these things.
Speaker 2: Are officials allowed to be out of shape?
Speaker 7: There shouldn't be? That's that's I mean.
Speaker 2: It feels like there's a workout program here that like the ED Hockey League propars.
Speaker 7: Definitely it has been, and I think we just know more.
Speaker 8: Look when I first started at the league office, and I don't know if I've ever told you this, but ninety five my first officiating clinic, the physical test that they had to pass to be an official at that clinic was walk a mile, not even times, just not die.
Speaker 7: And now it's much much more stringent.
Speaker 2: Do you have a combine for officials?
Speaker 7: They do? They do.
Speaker 8: They have a They have a group that comes in and you know, strength and conditioning and works with them and and and you know, and Ed.
Speaker 7: I think Ed might actually.
Speaker 8: Do like his own combine where it's just it's just arms, you know, it's it's arm dead every day.
Speaker 2: It was great to talk to you. Thank you day.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 2: That's Dean Blandino, Fox Sports, NFL College football rules analyst, former VP of officiating. All Right, guys, we got to walk a mile. You don't have to run, not gonna be timed. Just make sure you finish up and don't die. All right, you can be an NFL official. You're in shape.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's good stuff from him. Good stuff, Rick and Florida. Hi, Rick, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: So when I saw that snippet about Kurt Warner and how they are Patriots intentionally with defending him, I believe similar coaching is going on the NFL, especially with past interference. The offense has so much edge, and I think they're coaching the defensive backs hold that arm, to wrap that arm around and make them make the cold Because I see so much illegal contact after the five yards and pass interference and have been watching football sixty five years, I believe they need to go back to have the coaches replay, have a few selections if they can replay a penalty that is not called. And the second point Dan, I think to count to that is why aren't the other teams doing what the Eagles are doing? Is it just because the Eagles happen to have Jalen Hurts who can bench press six hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: No, he can squat six hundred pounds. And they have a great offensive line, and they have a quarterback who is stronger than any other quarterback with his legs. I'd love to see him in Saquon Barkley have a squad off or deadlift because they would probably that'd be a pretty good showdown there. They would still be successful if you don't need to have somebody behind Jalen Hurts. I don't know if this is around next year, but Dean brought up a very good point. They won the Super Bowl. It doesn't You don't want to seem like sour grapes. We couldn't stop them. They won a Super Bowl, and if the Eagles don't win a Super Bowl this year, maybe that would open the door to get rid of the tush push. When we come back, we pay tribute to Robert Redford who passed away at the age of eighty nine. Great actor, a great director as well. More of your phone calls as well, and a QB question for the room. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six Am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Hey it's me Rock Parker.
Speaker 12: Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of pipe in hot baseball talk featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in analytics or the iicast, we got all the bases covered. New episodes dropped every Thursday, So do your sofa favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Earlier this morning, got word that Robert Redford had passed away at the age of eighty nine. Quite a life and leading man. He was in a lot of movies. He was also a director on some big movies as well, and Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, The Sting. I mean, there's a variety of movies that Redford was in, but also became a famous director and really a remarkable, remarkable career, very very big on conservation throughout his life. Sundance Film Festival that was started by him as well. Don't think I ever met him. I don't think we ever had him on either, but I know later in his life he talked about how he was the leading man, you were the good looking guy, and he was trying to get out of that, and you know, it sounds weird to be I don't want to be a leading man. But I think he wanted to get out of the pretty boy. But I don't as much as you want to try, he wasn't able to get out of that. Poor guy, can't get out of this damn good looking leading man.
Speaker 5: Yes, PAULI imagine having that as your main problem life, being too good looking. Yeah, because there was a point where he was the one seed for good looking guys in America. Yeah, I mean a long run.
Speaker 2: And then you put him with Paul Newman and they were in a couple of movies. Butch Cassidy and certainly The Sting. I love the Sting. It's still great, All the President's Men. He also directed Ordinary People River Runs through it as well. At eighty nine years of age, pretty good, Pretty good. He went to play baseball at Colorado and his mom died. I think she was around forty when he was going to go play baseball, started drinking, got kicked out of school, lost his scholarship, and then he kind of had to start figuring out what he was going to do for his career and ended up taking theater lessons in New York City, and I love that. He bought a piece of property, two acres of land for five hundred dollars, built a cabin in Utah in nineteen sixty one, and that's where he kind of started his love affair with that state. But Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and The Sting, and Radford said that he really owed Paul Newman because he helped him get the role in Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid and the Sting too in nineteen seventy three, won the Academy Award for Best Picture. He was also in The Way We Were, Barbara Streissan, The Great Gatsby and Dustin Hoffman and All the President's Men, which was about Watergate.
Speaker 6: Yes, Pauling and the great sports movie.
Speaker 5: The Natural came out in nineteen eighty four, and it was a very controversial decision at the time. He played both himself as the older Roy Haws, but he played himself at eighteen years old in the movie, which is very in Glenn Close did it as well. They're twice that age, more than twice that age. So the earlier scenes.
Speaker 6: Of the movie, how old was he when he filmed The Natural? Yeah, forty he died.
Speaker 5: He would have been about forty five years old when he filmed The Natural, and he's playing himself as a senior in high school.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wasn't big on that movie, but I understand why people. Robert Duval to me was great in that movie as the sports writer, the columnist. But Glenn Close, all right, But who was the the cocoon demanded Wilfrid Brimley. Wilford Brimley Lean for QUAKEERU.
Speaker 6: He was like thirty one?
Speaker 10: He was.
Speaker 2: He looked the same. He always looked old always. But uh, Robert Redford that at the age of eighty nine. I'll sign up for that right now.
Speaker 13: Yes, Tom, Why do you think guys in their forties looked like there was seventy back then?
Speaker 14: Like Carl O'Connor, Archie By you can name if.
Speaker 2: You go back to older Robert Redford didn't look seventy when he was forty, but almost everyone else.
Speaker 14: Was like forty going on seventy three for somebody All.
Speaker 2: Newman didn't look seventy at forty.
Speaker 5: In the seventies. It was before like gym's and workouts, yeah, and feeling good about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't care what we looked like back then.
Speaker 6: He grew old like a man.
Speaker 2: We were a man. We're a man's man.
Speaker 15: Yes, Margaret, maybe he might be generational. But first Robert Reverend Redford movie I think of is indecent proposal.
Speaker 3: Oh, Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't look good and I mean he didn't come across well in that movie.
Speaker 3: But he was an older, devineer, handsome guy.
Speaker 2: Creepy to you. Yeah, and then he's saying, I'll give you a million dollars if I can sleep with your wife. Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 5: When you're a billionaire and you're creepy, you're eccentric a different word. That's a great movie, though, to me, more I.
Speaker 2: Felt bad for Woody Harrelson. Woodrow should have held on better.
Speaker 6: You don't loan out your.
Speaker 2: Why they wanted the money, they needed the money.
Speaker 6: You don't loan out to me more. That's a lesson that should have met in the name of the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was prime to me more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, alrighty, When Robert Redford is the second hottest person in the movie.
Speaker 6: You know it's good.
Speaker 16: M m.
Speaker 2: Uh. It's about a couple of phone calls. George in Texas, Hi, George, Nobody nobody wraps up, you know a movie career quite like we do. Nobody eulogizes quite like we do here. Sorry about that, Robert, Uh, Hey, George, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 17: Well, Radford looked like he was forty when he was in so anyway, but I've got to take on the push push. You called it a scrum.
Speaker 2: Because it is.
Speaker 17: It's a rugby play.
Speaker 18: So what they.
Speaker 17: Should do is just go on first count and that way everybody goes at the same time.
Speaker 2: Well they you know, Dean Blendino said they missed two calls on that the offensive line, the two guards they move before anybody else does. You got to call that like that has nothing to do with this. Is really hard to officiate this play. Officiate and off sides or there's motion here, that's all now, trying to spot the ball, I understand that. Just take away the blocker, take just take away the guy who's doing the pushing, that's all. Now, that doesn't make it easier to be able to call this and officiate this because it's still going to look like a scrum. It's still my line, your line, and I'm going to run and do a quarterback sneak. Now you're going to try to find where the spot is. It'll still be difficult, but the Eagles will still be successful. But I thought Dean Blandino said something that will stand out, and I'll keep this in my mind in the offseason. If the Eagles hadn't won the Super Bowl, maybe these owners would have voted to get rid of it. But now it looks like sour grapes.
Speaker 15: Yes, Marv, I think if they do take away the tush push, the rallying cry for the Eagles will be, see, they don't want us to win, they hate us because they ain't us, and then it's going to give them a nice little boost going into the next season. It's going to be a jealousy thing if you're an Eagles player or Eagles.
Speaker 2: Fan, and that's what I would be saying, that's the rallying cry. If I'm Nick Sirianni, I'd be like, Hey, you know you're ostracizing us, you're singling us out here. We just do it better than everybody else. Everybody else can do this. We do it better than anybody else. Ron in Portland, Hi, Ron, good morning.
Speaker 9: Hey Dan, first time, long time, six one and a half, two seventeen.
Speaker 10: Dude.
Speaker 9: Hey, I've been a Miami Dolphin fan since nineteen seventy and like Darius, the Dolphins are making me cry. And you did such a good job getting Brent Musburger in the Hall of Fame, and I'd like to get a rally cry going for John Gruden to the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Okay, John Gruden, I think will coach next year somewhere. And I was listening to Gary Danielson yesterday, longtime college analyst. He was on with Mad Dog RUSSA and Gary said, what about John Gruden to UCLA. I don't know if there is a downside to it, but if John's coming in, then all of a sudden, you're going to be He's expecting to be a football school. He's not coming in to be the like Kentucky football it used to be to Kentucky basketball. He's coming in. He would be coming in to win. But I think that John now, I don't know if he gets back into the NFL, and I don't know if he wants coach college. But I think John Gruden will be coaching again. It just feels like there's a ground swell there. But if you had Gruden, he's got energy, and he's got a chip on his shoulder, and he'd be ready to go. Have him in Los Angeles that could be fun. Keith and Chico. Hi, Keith, Welcome back.
Speaker 10: Hey guys, Good morning, Good morning five six.
Speaker 19: I had a couple of random quarterback questions for you guys. First question, do you think the twenty eighteen quarterback draft class is the best of all time? I mean, you have Baker, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen Lamar, and you can't forget Josh ros In.
Speaker 10: My other question is, as.
Speaker 19: Of now, would you rather have Bryce Young or Caleb Williams as your quarterback of the future. After the Bears and Panthers make that trade, someone's got to be considered.
Speaker 2: The winner, right I think I would think so. I would go back to the eighty four draft if I was talking about quarterbacks, I'd say that that one was that was pretty good, pretty good. I would take Caleb Williams over Bryce Young. I like Bryce Young personally when we met him in New Orleans. I mean you can't help. But like him, he's just slight. He doesn't seem to be as athletic as Caleb, but I guess Caleb. I expect Caleb to be great. I'm not expecting Bryce Young to be great. I'm expecting him to be good. But Caleb, I think the expectation level is a whole lot higher. You can have any thirty year old quarterback is your quarterback for this season and next season at least thirty years of age. You got to have him for two years.
Speaker 16: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna run down the list you can have. I got nine quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers forty one, Joe Flacco forty, Kirk d Cousins thirty seven, Matthew Stafford thirty seven, Russell Wilson Junior the third thirty six, Gino thirty four, Dak Prescott thirty two, Baker Mayfield thirty, Jared Goff thirty. You can have any of those quarterbacks, but you got to take him for this year and next year. I think it comes down to maybe two quarterbacks here, and that's the guys who were thirty Baker Mayfield and Jared Goff. Dak Prescott at thirty two. Gino thirty four. Now I don't it's Baker Mayfield or Jared Goff. I don't think there's anybody else to be in the mix. I mean maybe, you know, if you like Dak Prescott just injury prone, he's thirty two. Uh, Baker and Jared Goff, and I think that would be it's only those two guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, I'm I'm thinking Jared Goff there too, just because he's made it to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's such to me.
Speaker 4: I put a lot of value in that, and he knows what it takes to get there that.
Speaker 2: Anybody have anybody else on that list?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, I think if my talent was the same on my team, which is the question, I would go Baker just to touch clutchness over Jared Goff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's only those two because none of those other quarterbacks do I want for two years?
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, I'm going Baker.
Speaker 15: Maybe recency biased, but I think he's just been playing a lot better lately.
Speaker 3: I'm Baker.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's see Joe and Colorado Springs.
Speaker 20: Hi Joe, Hey, Dan, thanks for having me on again. I was the one that called in on Friday, made the bed with two to the pilot, so I just wanted to say good on him for taking that pie. I was ready to hold up my end. My wife's a Broncos fan, so she was more than willing to administer the pie. Had the coast loss. Thankfully they didn't, So good on you, Fritzy Dan love the show, Go Colts.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Joe. Yeah, I saw that the back room guys. Dylan went out and did some shopping during the show. I look in the bag and it's like five containers of whipped cream, and there's pie filling and there's crust in there. Seems like a little excessive, but there it is. If you're watching on Peacock the the bag is there with all lovely. Yeah, they're gonna whip up the pie. Who do you want to hit you in the face with the pie?
Speaker 14: I'm gonna go Dylan.
Speaker 2: Actually, oh you want Dylan trick?
Speaker 14: You know what I Bill Parcells about it. If you want to make the groceries and you got you could pick out the.
Speaker 2: Groceries, Okay, well then Dylan will hit you. I don't know if are you quo him? Exactly?
Speaker 14: Definitely not.
Speaker 2: Something about picking out the groceries.
Speaker 13: Yeah, like, if I gotta if I got to play the guys that you know that you're giving me, let me, you know, have some say in picking them out.
Speaker 6: Now, let's go get them guys.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 14: If I'm gonna cook the meal, let me pick up the groceries. Said something.
Speaker 2: Andrew in Texas. Hi, Andrew, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Vp ay?
Speaker 18: Thank you for having me on a long time listener, first time caller. I just wanted to say I agree with you on the Tom Brady situation.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 18: And I don't fault any team for wanting to limit him or exclude him from those meetings. And but also on the other side of it, didn't look like it helped the whole lot because the quarterback situation on the Raiders are pretty weak, all right now, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's not the point. The point is that does Tom have access? Will he have access? And how does he use that access? But yeah, you're right, last night Tom helping Chip Kelly call all plays for Gino Smith didn't go well. Uh. Let's see Dane in Texas. Hi, Dane, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 10: Uh, good morning Dan?
Speaker 2: How are you great?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 2: Ding?
Speaker 3: Great day?
Speaker 10: Well? First, I first I like to say Police said tembre to all your fans in Mexico, and I like to thank you for that interview with Gary Myers. I can't wait to get my hands on that book. The first you had a caller that was talking about greatest resurgence and he cited Baker Mayfield. I think I got one, and I think he'll agree. I think it was Jim Plunkett. I mean, I remember he had a Rookie of the Year for the Boston Patriots, and then he went downhill. There was injuries. He traded him the San Francisco and he comes back and gets two Super Bowl Super Bowl the Raiders. Yeah, that's great, great call, Dan he I remember.
Speaker 2: I think his receiver was Randy Vataha, who played with Plunkett at Stanford. So Jim Jim went to a bad team and was Randy Vataha either eighteen or eighty one with the Patriots? Was he number eighty one? Does that sound right? Randy Vataha?
Speaker 5: He's got Randy Vataha number twenty four?
Speaker 2: No, I gotta check that, Okay, I don't he was a wide receiver. I don't think they would have given him twenty four.
Speaker 13: Yes, Hunt, I see a Jersey on eBay from the seventies that has a Vataha eighteen on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, glop bloop, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 15: As far as the greatest career resurgences, where do we rank Kurt Warner after the Giants?
Speaker 2: Well, I got him into the Hall of Fame, so I would look at his resurgence as more impactful than Jim Plunkett. I mean, Jim was forgotten. It's a different era. If you're winning two Super Bowls now with a team, you know, then we might be talking about him being a Hall of Famer because he's got two super Bowls. But Jim was a Heisman Trophy winner and then he went to the Patriots and they weren't good and got kicked to the curb and then ended up winning two Super Bowls. All right, last call for phone calls? What we learned? What's in store tomorrow? By the way, Wilfred Brimley was forty nine in the Natural, Robert Redford was forty seven, And if you see them next to each other, you're like, Robert Redford and his grandfather are there in the dugout with the naturals. Wow, Wow, we're.
Speaker 1: Back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Last call for phone calls. What we learned this day in sports history? All of that coming up. Final results of the poll question as well. My thanks Gary Myers.
Speaker 2: The book is Brady Versus Belichick and it's available today. And Dean Blandino, Fox Rules analyst who joined us earlier in the hour, All right, see final results of the poll question.
Speaker 3: Please.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a couple of them up there, and they're sort of all runaways. Actually, who looks more Super Bowl as Chargers by a long shot two and AFC team that won't make the playoffs. Bengals are running away with that one called second Bills and Chargers have almost no votes in that.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 2: The Keenan Allen's career is fascinating to me because he's one of those guys if he stays healthy, if he had stayed healthy, had five catches sixty one yards in a touchdown last night. He's second all time among Chargers receivers in both receptions and receiving yards, so he has over nine hundred catches over ten thousand yards receiving. He also has sixty one touchdowns that ranks him behind Antonio Gates and Lance Alworth.
Speaker 21: Stata the Jay Start of the Jay, We Love your arm Stata, the Day Stata, the j Stanta, the Jail give us stant of the Day.
Speaker 2: Status stat of the Day, Thank you, Thank you, Pandora stat of the Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official training cards of the program.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul keenan Allen, like you said, approaching one thousand catches, six Pro bowls more likely to be Hall a very good first ballot. Yeah, or get a Hall passed for the injuries and sneak into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: No, No, which one is it in? Isaac Bruce or Tory Holt.
Speaker 3: Tory Holt is not in.
Speaker 2: Yes, tory Holt's got to get in. But the problem is with what I just did. Is it Isaac Bruce or Tory Holt? And then you got overshadowed with Kurt Warner and Marshall Folk. Marshall, that's Marshall Folk. Yeah, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: Tory hul had seven Pro bowls in eleven years and nine hundred and twenty catches back when that meant a lot more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about this day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just a couple for you.
Speaker 5: I have Jim Bottomley nineteen twenty four knocked in twelve runs in a single game. And then Uh, nineteen eighty and eight, Tom Browning pitched the twelfth perfect game in Major League Baseball history for the Reds.
Speaker 2: Dave Linfield got his three thousandth hit in nineteen ninety three. Paul Mollitor on this date got his three thousandth career hit. His was a triple and Oh, nineteen eighty nine Number one Notre Dame beat number two Michigan thanks to two kickoff returns by Rocket Ishmael eighty eight and ninety two yards. Uh, Robin Boca, Hi, Rob, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey Dan?
Speaker 2: How you doing good?
Speaker 10: Going back to the Natural?
Speaker 22: That movie gets an extra star are because uh Kim Bassinger was at the height of her powers? And uh little trivia question about the movie. A member of Roy Hobbs's New York Knights. A member of that team was actually a Rookie of the Year in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 10: Who was it?
Speaker 2: Joe Charboneau the Indians correct?
Speaker 22: Who might have been best known for being able to open the beer bottles with his pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, thank you, Ron heard of him. Joe Charboneau, great name. Uh Tony in California? High tone? What's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 22: Dan?
Speaker 16: Good morning?
Speaker 2: How are you doing? Good morning?
Speaker 10: Good good?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 23: That quick question about you know, the leverage call and whatnot. How you you know you can't really you know, push off or anything, but somehow the tush push is allowed, which is essentially, you know, pushing assisting someone. I mean, to me, it doesn't seem like there's any difference. I mean, what's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't really fully understand the leverage call, but you can't be assisted by one of your teammates if you're going to go up the middle and try to block the kick. But I think that's more of elevation than it is just moving straight ahead. The tush pushes to move straight ahead. Leverage is you're trying to get leverage to move into the center and go up and try to block the field goal. At least that's what I've been led to believe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're right on that leverage call.
Speaker 5: You also can't use the opposition like the offensive guard use him to push up.
Speaker 2: Eric and Tucson. Hi, Eric, what's on your mind?
Speaker 16: Good morning Dan. Hey, I'll make it quicks. I know you're at the end. Two quick things. I'm wondering if you saw the diego to Via bet over the weekend, since you give a Diego to Villa award on your gambling podcast.
Speaker 2: About letting somebody date his mom.
Speaker 16: Yes, I believe it is Coo Vaughn. I think he's a podcasterist median. I'm not quite sure the nexus of the bet, but I found that cross over pretty interesting. And that's secondly, just real quick, as you're talking about it. Yesterday, I believe they changed the rules on the kicking footballs where they now allow the kickers to keep the ball throughout the season versus just giving them two them ninety minutes before game time. So as those faults get broken in, I think they're going to see longer and longer kicks because they, you know, just like the quarterbacks, they find their favorite balls and they're able to use them.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Eric, I have no problem with that. It's your football that you're kicking, it's your football that you're throwing. It's your team that has to catch the ball. I don't have any problem with it. It was just Tom light about the flat gate and that's what got him in trouble. I think if he was maybe forthcoming, then you know, the penalty would not have been nearly what it was, and that was pretty harsh pen Let's go around the room. What we learn on the program, Todd, what you learn today?
Speaker 13: Fox's Dean Blendinos all for viewers being able to hear replay discussions, but while can eliminate conspiracy theories, it might also advertise officials incompetence.
Speaker 2: I know I would love to hear that seat O'Connor.
Speaker 4: League is gonna have to figure out what to do with Tommy.
Speaker 2: Hashtag Tommy uh Marvin is a combine for the rest.
Speaker 6: I did not know that Paul Baker Mayfield is thirty?
Speaker 2: Todd, wit did I learn?
Speaker 13: We all learned that you would like to see Jail Hurts and Saquon Parkbly have a squad off or a deadlift competition.
Speaker 2: Most security systems only take action when somebody breaks in. That's too late. Simply Safe is different. It's proactive, not reactive. Get fifty percent off your new Simply Safe system at simplysafedan in dot com, there's no safelight, simply safe. Thanks for joining us, our pleasure to serve you every single day, For Fritzy Seat and Marv Paulie, yours truly, and of course the backroom guys. We'll do it again tomorrow. Have great day, a safe day. Talk to you then,