Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome in the latest edition of Birdland Territory with Steve, Tim and Brad and a special guest today. The MLB Draft is coming fast July eleventh, at one thirty that's when it will be this year, Saturday, ahead of the All Star Game Sunday. They'll wrap it up twenty rounds and our guest today is Jim Kallus. I've known Jim for a long time, back to his Baseball America days and since twenty thirteen senior writer for MLB dot Com and mlbpipeline dot Com. One of the best analysts of young players out there. And you'll see Jim live on draft coverage Saturday and Sunday. Check your local listings if your networks are involved, including NBC, MLB Network, MLB dot Com, Mlbpipeline. Jim, we're gonna find you everywhere, but it's going to be a busy couple of days. And thanks for joining us today in the midst of all your prep for this thing.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm glad. I'm hoping you guys can tell me who the Orioles are taken at seven, since nobody's.
Speaker 1: We're gonna throw darts here in about five minutes and see where it lands. Because but it does sound like Jim and oriole fans love to talk about wanting those to drafted picture highly up the board, which they haven't under Elias. We you and I've been through this a lot. Fifty eighth Joseph Jerwhile last year was their highest drafted picture Underlias, it sounds very unlikely this year that that pick will be a picture at seven. Is that a fair statement?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there's really a picture who fits into the mix. And even if there were, I just don't think. You know this Orioles regime, I would be shocked if they ever take a picture in the first round. I remember, I guess it was two drafts ago. We were in Fort Worth and the draft was at this rodeo venue, so it wasn't near the ballpark, so it was like thirty minutes away. I was right, I know, over there with Mellie Newman, who does all kinds of oriol stuff. And I always in that kind of year, I'm always asking, like if I bumped into you guys on drive, like, hey, who are the Oils taking seven? I always ask people and I and I think that was a year I had maybe I had him taken Birdy Bread. I projected them to take a picture because they need to take they need pitching. So I had him taking a picture like twenty I think it was the Vance honeycut pick. I had him taken a picture as I asked him, Elanie, It's like, oh, so, who the oil's taking a twenty three or whatever it was, And She's like, all I know is it's not going to be a picture. You know, never take a picture in the first round. I was like, damn it, Like I think, you know, unless you had They're looking up and Paul Skeen's is staring them in the face. I would be surprised if they ever took a picture in the first round.
Speaker 1: The only guy who's projected high up the board pitching wise is Jackson Flora, right the UC Santa Barbara right hander, who most mock drafts have him being taken in the five range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, he probably fits like somewhere in there, four to six. I agreed, and like, but I do. And again I'm not claiming I know this for a fact, but if Jackson Flora was there at seven, I don't know that I project the Orioles take Jackson Fall. I just don't think they're gonna take a picture. I'd be surprised if they took a picture in the first round, and I'd be shocked if they took a picture with the top ten pick, because I just don't think they believe that you should take pictures that early in the draft, and they've obviously not done that the whole time they've been in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Last thing for me, and I want to these other guys that jump in with Jim Kalls from MLB dot com mlbpipeline dot com. So Jim's a lot of mock drafts, including yours at MLB dot com. Most recently had them taking Drew Burris, the outfielder from Georgia Tech. I see his name link to the oriols constantly. What can you tell us about Drew Burris?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's funny. So there's there's there's six guys, so I think are the consensus top six. You got rach Alowski Easila shortstop, Braye Emerson is Texas shortstop. Those are the top two guys they're not, and that un lack of Georgia Tech catchers maybe like a half tier behind them. And then you have you mentioned Jackson, Flora. And you've got a couple of high school guys. You have Jacob lombardho high school Shortstop Florida and Eric Boothy's High splot of Florida, Mississippi. Those are kind of the clear top six and after that it's wide open. I do think Drew burse would be the consensus next best guy for most teams, and I like him Alai. I actually think he's slightly underlated than should hire a list because we have number seven on our list as well as projecting to go seven. But the knocks on him are he's like five foot I think he's listed at five foot nine, and he hits right handed, and you wish he was a little bigger, and you wish he was you hit left handed. This guy's produced for three years at Georgia Tech. He's and he's got you know, it's solid tools across the board. I mean the power. He hit a bunch of homers is I can't remember how many it was his first ten games in college. I think it was ten or twelve homers his first in games as a freshman. And the power is this tool that jumps out the most. But this guy hits for average, he controls strike zone, he's a solid runner, he can play center field. He's got arm strength, so he could play all three. And I just think in this class, most of the college hitters have an obvious flaw, and Drew's flaw is he's a little bit short and he hits right handed. It's not any flaw in particular with his game, and so I think he's he would be easy if the top six guys go one, two, three, four, five, six, he would be an easy number seven pick for me because I don't think there's anything wrong with his game, and I think he's he's more polished than some of the high ceiling hitters Oils have taken recently, and I think he would get to the big leagues pretty quick. And you know that's that's a bonus. I'd rather get the most talented player. But I just think he's got solid tools across the board.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. Jim kallis whether it's today talking draft and some other those topics here with their group on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 3: Brad Hey, Jim, to me, the draft still fascinates me, even after playing all the years I did and everything, it's just such a craft shirt. So you're talking about college hitters and everything. Do you think they have gotten better over the years, that the reason why they're getting pushed so quick to the big leagues or is it you just think it's the way the game has gone.
Speaker 4: I know it's kind of a general question, but do.
Speaker 3: You think these college hitters are more polish than they have been, let's say, ten years ago, fifteen years ago, from what you've seen.
Speaker 2: I do. I mean the twenty twenty four twenty twenty four draft was an outlier where you guys like traspas On, Nick Kurtz and Jack kagleone and a bunch of other guys, you know, Matt Shaw, Kyle Teal rushed to the big like that was an outlier. Like usually isn't that many Christian more, usually isn't that many guys. But I do think one I do think college baseball is better than it was ten, fifteen, twenty years ago. It's just in terms of quality of depth of teams. I do think you just look at the amount of instruction players get even before they get to college. Now. I mean a lot of it's private lessons, but I do think you have guys who just play a lot more. They've seen them more. You know, the showcase circuit has grown to where like you can spend the whole summer facing you know, quality competition rather than you know, hey, I live in Illinois, for example, and you know, during the high school season, how many guys you can see throw higher than eighty miles an hour? But you can see that all summer. I think with the metrics, I think teams also can kind of hone in on how to help guys get better. I think it's definitely a case where when I started, and I mean I started working in Baseball America back in nineteen eighty nine out of college. Back then, I think there was this thought that players weren't necessarily one hundred percent fully formed, but there's only so much you can do. How much you could get guys better, you know, like natural talent was going to be the driver, and like you couldn't get guys to throw much harder or spin the ball much better, or develop more power and you know, or bat speed or whatever. And now teams know how to do those things, So I think that helps too. But then I also think eliminating a level of the minor leagues just naturally forces guys to move quicker, and so the guys who jump on the fast track and have success just get to the big leagues quicker. So I think it's I think it's true, Brad, for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 5: Okay, Jim, kind of a two parterre you saying, starting Baseball America in nineteen eighty nine, just how have you seen the popularity of MLB's draft and then the prospect level? I feel like, especially in Baltimore where the Orioles went through a tremendous rebuild, where you're looking ahead to some of these top prospects and fans are more knowledgeable about these guys than they ever were in the top one hundred list and the top thirty list within the organization. And part of that is I think minor league Baseball has done a much better job of marketing these players. Just how have you seen the draft grow and also the minor league grow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean it's exploited. I mean, I'm old enough. We didn't have the Internet when I started, honestly, and at Baseball America we were pretty much you know, Alan Simpsons started the magazine because Sporting News kind of expanded and still went from being the Bible of Baseball to cover in the big four sports. And Alan loved the draft, and he loved the minor leagues, and he loved college baseball, and so I started Baseball America. It had been around for eight years when I got there. Nobody else was covering that at all. But we were print publication that came out every two weeks, like people love them, even though minor league stats by time you got them were probably two three weeks old. If you wanted how guys were doing the minor leagues, that was the only place you saw the stats, Like there was no other way. I mean, I guess maybe if you went to a minor league game, you might get an insert that have the team stats in there. And the draft, like there was the draft on like not only would it was the draft on TV a foreign concept and will be at that point wouldn't even release the draft list, like like you'd have the fifth round. They would release those picks in order to the AP so you know who was draft in the first round one order, but other than that, it would just be okay. The Orioles drafted seventy two players and they'd list them in alphabetical order and you wouldn't know who the rounder was. And that again Alex Simpson, who loves baseball, priam like all aspects of baseball more anybody I know, and started Baseball America in his garage with no publishing experience, just because he felt like baseball needs an magazine like this. Anyway Alan would get so we would come out every two weeks. We probably would come out, you know, ten days after draft, and like when I started, Allan would call the teams individually and he put the first five rounds together, so we'd print that, and then we had and they still do, I think, a yearly almanac, and we would get the complete draft order in order for the almanac, which was a book that had all these statistics in that would come out in the off season. But that was that. So finally mid nineties Alan was get a point where he could get more and more of the draft quickly. So I think it was I don't know if it was ninety five, ninety six, somewhere around there. Alan felt like, I can get the draft order. I could put the draft order together within two or three days. So again just to show you the technology at the time, we were going to sell it to you via facts, like if Steve wanted to know the Oriols draft order, we would fact, like, I don't know, we'd sell it to him. I don't know, two bucks, we would fact Steve the Orioles draft in order. And so basically at that point, because nlb's attitude always was they didn't want the college coaches to know where gods were getting drafted because they felt like maybe it was different back then. I find it a little hard to believe that teams were recruiting in June, like wait until to recruit, but like, I don't know, if you saw somebody was drafting thirty second round or the twelfth round, you're like, oh, let's go get that guy or whatever. So that's why MLB didn't want the draft rounds out there. And I think it didn't hurt that the players didn't necessarily know where they were drafted when they were trying to sign them. But because Baseball America was good, you know, I don't know what, we would have faxed you the whole draft, but if you want the whole draft, we'd fax that to you too. When we announced plans to do that, MLB is like, Okay, we'll release the draft so we've gone from that where MLB didn't even want people to know what round guys were getting drafted in to now like it's all lot Like I forget how many years even before I know the first broadcast like network broadcast was ESPN in two thousand and seven, and I think maybe a couple of years before that, MLB dot Com did some online commentary, like you could used to be able to listen to the conference call. But I remember again when I started Baseball America, like I thought the coolest thing in the world was so we would do this press conference in omahaber year at the College World Series for our college Player of the Year and we'd have the all If there were All Americans first Team All Americans who are on collegoral Turis teams, they'd come too, but MLB would let us pipe in the first round of the draft the conference call into our press conference, and so like I remember being there when Todd Helton found out the ro he was thrilling the Rockies drafted in. I remember there brooks Keishnick can go in the first round. The Cups took him. But like it seemed like the height of technology in the early nineties, to just to be able to listen to the conference call live as picks were happening. That just seemed like the coolest thing like finding out right when guy like this is pre internet, Like like you wouldn't know, like honestly until you got the paper the next morning and maybe they would list the first round picks on the aget page. So we've come a long way. And I agree to him. I mean, like like there's obviously a lot of outlets and it's instantaneous, like like just even the concept you can watch I think virtually every full season minor league club. Maybe it's all of them, it's not, it's almost all of them. I can watch them on my phone. Like if you took that in the early nineties, I'd be like, like, how big is my phone going to do?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Like it's just crazy the amount of information that's out there in video and yeah, and the people, I mean people don't know the draft players as well as they know the NFL NBA players because those guys are going to step right in. But they still Again when I started covering it, I think ESPN might broadcast one game a week, like on like a Sunday night college game and maybe during the postseason if you were lucky, you maybe get two regional games before you know, they broadcast the college Old Series. Now you can watch it seems like almost I mean it's not every D one game, but it seems like you can watch almost every Division one game somewhere. And then you know, now ESPN's got squeeze play. I mean, all the regional games are live or you can watch them as they do whip around show like again. But I think these guys are you know, and just the high school guys like the showcase. There were maybe a couple of showcases when I start, but it's not like it is now and there's nationally televised games and we're going to do the High School America and MLB does They're going to do from Field of Dreams in August like that, like having a nationally televised high school All Star game, like so you like see, you know, like the guys for next year's draft on TV. There was that was never gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Before A long Way, Come a long way. The Oose. The Oos have, by the way, three top one hundred picks. We're talking with Jim Kallus about the draft number seven, number forty six, and number eighty two, and we'll continue with Jim in a minute. Here on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 5: The Orioles are trying to get back in the mix, and you don't want to miss the upcoming action this home stand. I would look to go to Wednesday for a little weekday day game action.
Speaker 6: Twelve thirty five.
Speaker 5: First pitch, I would suggest getting tickets in the Burbeth because it is supposed to be insanely hot this week in Baltimore.
Speaker 6: But make sure your tickets to the game.
Speaker 5: Geek, with over thirty five million downloads, see geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on seat geek, including concerts, sports, festivals, and more. We're at the halfway point of MLB season, the World Cup is in the knockout round, and the NFL in college football seasons will be here before you know it. I love using seat geek, have been using it for years heading to different events and of course os games and seat geek.
Speaker 6: They always have your back.
Speaker 5: Each ticket is rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal.
Speaker 6: Look for the.
Speaker 5: Green dots, Green's good, Red is bad, Stay away from Red plus. Every ticket is backed by their buyer guarantee. And of course we have a code for you guys to hook you guys up. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your accounts so you can use it later.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Seek Jim Kallus with us today here on Birdland Territory. Jim, one thing it's always fascinating to me over the years, and I'm not sure what the latest numbers say. You might have some thoughts on it is how few players need to make the major leagues to make a team's draft successful. I've learned history talking to guys like you and JJ Cooper and scouts over the years, and this is going back to when a draft was fifty rounds, then it was forty outs twenty. What's a good draft numbers wise?
Speaker 2: I mean, this will sound kind of funny, but if you get honestly, if you get a solid big leaguer out of the draft. You're doing better than most teams. I mean haven't studied this over the years, and a tiple draft there will be say five to ten star level players if that like true stars in a draft, and then you'll have maybe a couple dozen players who you know, like I don't mean up and down like the back forth major mind I played lot of good year, Like maybe they're not a statey performer, but they'll they'll be decent players over the course of their career. And then after that it's kind of guys who have a good year. Here there a cup of coffee and like it's funny, Like just illustrate this. Every year MLB dot Com has me do it a story where I redraft the first round from ten years previously. So this year's twenty sixteen number thirty four first round picks that year of the top fourteen, well as I have it sorted out now the top fifteen players from that draft based on what they've done, what we project them to going forward. Only one the top fifteen guys who signed was a first round pick, and that was probably the best one of them, Will Smith. But not to disparage these guys because they're big leaguers. But right now, the bottom of my first round is guys like Alex call, Anthony Bender, John Schreiber, Tobias Myers, Recoo Garcia, Jojo Romero, and Brian Baker. Like again, and not to disparait those guys, but if we were redrafting the twenty sixteen draft today, those guys potentially be first round picks. And I don't think anybody when they their teams million first round pick is going, oh, I hope we get a reliever who has a couple of decent seasons in the big leagues. But that's that's the reality of the draft, like it's it's now. The flip side is, because you get these guys and you control they're earning power, essentially for three years, they have to take what you're willing to give them, and for three more years they're limited by arbitration where they'll get more money but not what they get in the free market. Like you, if you get a solid big league regular. Let's say I take a guy in the middle of first round and I give him five million dollar bonus. If that guy's a big league regular for the first six six years, or his career, most of it he might be worth. You know, even if he's only worth let's say he's worth one win above replacement per year, just he's around number, which is like more of a you know, part time type of guy that's like a fifty or sixty million dollar value and talent, and you're probably only paying that guy his bonus plus a salary. He's like maybe ten million dollars. You're coming out way So you've come out way ahead financially because you're you're when you hit on a start, like when you hit on Gunner Henderson. You know, he signed for I don't remember, like what two or three million. He was overslot, but like Gunnar Henderson on the open market would be making much much more than he's been paid so far. So it even though you don't it doesn't seem like a huge return on investment, like, oh, we're getting four big leaguers out of one draft for like big league regulars. If you just hit on one of those guys, you're doing well. I mean, the draft, the draft is hard. The draft is very very hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I remember, Jimmy, we were talking about seeing it come up on the computer.
Speaker 4: Screen when I got drafted. That's what happened.
Speaker 3: I saw my name come up on the computer screen before I got the phone call from the scout. So bring me back to the draft of the mid two thousands there.
Speaker 4: But Jim, do you think it's more.
Speaker 3: Satisfying being finding kind of a dark horse in the draft or being kind of hitting on.
Speaker 4: Someone you predicted to be a superstar? Do you?
Speaker 3: I know it's kind of apples and oranges, But it is it cooler for you kinda to find somebody and say, the fifth to tenth round that ends up becoming a major league regular that you kind of had predictions that might play better than where he gets drafted.
Speaker 4: Or is it pretty cool hitting.
Speaker 3: On a guy that goes top three and he's what everybody kind of expected when he got drafted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think on the top guys, I think it's it's more you like finding the guys that are kind of hidden gems because the guys go at the top of the draft, Like if Rachlowski and Great Emerson are superstars, everythings, those guys are going to be great. So it's like, I mean, not that it has to be hey look at me, but like I'm not really telling anybody anything that they don't know, like the one I'll go back. And I was lucky on this because I think there are three guys on this guy in high school, and I happen to, like I don't talk to every area scout for every team, like it's impossible because I have half the I have half the country. Jonathan May and I split it up, but I'll try to talk to I don't know, four or five area guys cross checkers for each of my states, so you get a sampling of information. But anyway, so there were three guys on this guy in high school, and I've happened to three teams on him in high school. I happened to talk to two of the teams that were on him. But we had Jacob Mizarowski on our list in high school and he had not played on the Showcase Circus. He had a hamstring injury and he didn't have a senior season because of COVID, So we had him I don't know, like number one eighty, but nobody else knew who this guy was. And so I continued to be very proud of that one. And then we were on the bandwagon, like he was weird. He went to junior college. He he tores meniscus his first start, so he barely pitched a freshman, and then when he came back he was raw. He wasn't thrown nearly as many strikes as today, but like just the metrics and the arm strength, and you're like, man, this guy got better. Like he's he's had so little playing time. He could be really good. So like that one's fun. Like I will continue, but again I will say I was lucky because I happened to talk to two of the three teams that were on him, were like, hey, this guy could be interesting. You have to throw him on the back of your list. And so we did. And and I still, we just got back from the draft combine, and you're two. I told. I remember telling him, you know, you have to get in Mirowski on camera. This guy will throw better than anybody does at the combine. And I remember I was sent with Dan O Dowd and he and he got ready to pitch, and Dana Dud's like, Jimmy, here's your guy. Let's see what he's got. And I don't remember. The first pitch was like one oh one, and I mean it's a bullpen, but like like his extension and the men like it was crazy and and Dan's like pretty good and like he was going like three thousand spins sliders at like eighty nine miles an hour and wound up going second round. So like, yeah, I think it's cool. It is kind of cool when you're like, hey, I somebody told me about that guy before anybody else knew about it. Like that's like those are kind of most fun. Like just like I mean we were saying, I mean, Brad, I mean you were a forty second round pick and you pitched what was it, like five hundred games in the big leagues. I mean, yeah, that's pretty cool. Like like I don't like, give your who's your ear scout, give your ear scout some love.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, Jim Brett, sorry you got Yeah, Jim Brett's sorry, Yeah I didn't.
Speaker 2: But I was just saying, like Jim bred I mean, he obviously wasn't pound the table. We gotta take this guy eighth round, but he saw something and like, I mean, how many I'm gonna guess that the prior many players taken after the forty round. He pitched five hundred games in the big leagues and like, I'm sure I don't know who else Jim Brett sign, but I bet you're one of his favorite signings because of what you achieved relative to where you were picked.
Speaker 1: Awesome stuff from Jim kallis here on at Birdland Territory. More coming up.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by Fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fen is on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary often required. Bonus issued as non withdrawal profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 5: Jim, I definitely want to ask you about I'm sure you've seen and thought about the proposal that MLB put out changing the draft rules, and we're a long way away until the CBA expires December first. But in this proposal, having the rounds go from twenty to twelve eliminate high schoolers eligibility to be drafted, you have to be twenty years old.
Speaker 6: Just what did you think of that proposal?
Speaker 2: I have to choose my words carefully here because we're not really I work for MLB. I'm obviously not involved in negotiations, but they don't really want as commenting on sure proposals. Guess I will say from a player development standpoint, I don't think it would be great for player development. Some of the things were proposed, but what winds up happening more long way off though, I'm just not supposed to comment much on specific proposals. They would be great. Anderson wouldn't be eligible in this year's draft, and he might be the number one overall pick.
Speaker 5: Well, here's a transition then, Jim Jackson Holiday. He of course was a high schooler who was drafted number one overall, still very young in his career and making the transition from shortstop to second base. And this year got off to a little bit of a funky start with a Hama bone surgery. Just what have you thought of Jackson Holliday from the time that he was the number one overall pick to his initial part of his MLB career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I know Andrews had played someone apart. I'm a little surprised he hasn't been better, because, man, that first full year in the minor leagues, I mean, he rocketed from single A to triple A. I remember we looked back. I mean outside of somebody like a Rod who means the greatest prospect I've ever seen, who went from singlely to the big leagues in his first full season. You just don't see guys do with Jackson Hall. And he's such an advanced to bat. You know, I'm a little surprised, like I said, that he hasn't based on the trajectory he was on, I would have probably thought, Okay, Jackson Holliday he'll be an All Star by now, and he hasn't quite gotten there yet. I still think, I mean, man, he's so young. What is he twenty two this year?
Speaker 6: Twenty two?
Speaker 2: I still think he's going to be a star. I just don't think you hit like he did at that younger age and you don't become a big league star. It would shock me, Jim.
Speaker 1: In our final moments, you want to ask what your take is on O's, the O's farm system overall. Right now, I think if we were to look at organizational rankings by a lot of outlets, the Ools will be somewhere in the middle of the pack. Oriol fans know they were number one there for quite a while. They had three straight number one ranked players three years in a row with Rutchman and Gunner and Jackson. Only one of those three are really selling as we tape this this year. It's hard, man, I guess, to produce players. But what do you like about what the O's are doing right now and what are some things that are challenges for their player development and their minors?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think they have a pretty good core of prospects. You know, at the top of our prospect list, I mean, I know Nate George has been banged up a little bit, but like, I mean, that was a great late round. Fine. I like Irish and beheaval Lay from last year's draft or off the pretty good starts in Hia. Aeron Estrada is having a good year in Double A Lease Da Leone like e ra is high, but he's missing a ton of bats. He's intriguing. Trey Dick Gibson got to the big leagues. We've seen Joseph jurwa is having a really good year, you know, as Obama Hea. I mean, he's got to throw more strikes, but he's got a really live arm. Boston Bateman's interesting. I mean, I do feel like their pitching depth is a little better than it has been recently. Itty Quinn, another guy they drafted fairly early last year's pitching pretty well. You know, I think the biggest challenge for the Orioles, and we've seen this at the big league level, is to come up with pitching. You know, when Michael aast came over from the Astros, and the Astros pretty much never I mean, they took Mark pell which didn't pan out. But if you look at the guys who A lot of the Astros' best pitchers were either like really inexpensive international signings or later round draft picks like say fifth round on or they went out and they made big trades to get Garrett Cole and Justin Berlander and Zach Grinke, who are three Hall of famers. But the Astras didn't invest a lot of early picks in pitching. And you've kind of seen Michael Lies do that in Baltimore, but they haven't had the same success you're finding international pitching or necessarily finding hey, here's a guy like we took Connor Brown in the fifth round and he's you know, like a top three al Cy Young Award finisher or you know, and they have any outside trading for Corbin Burns to haven't made like the big, splashy trades. So I think that's kind of the biggest challenge is coming up, you know, whether it's going to be developing pitching or trading for pitching or however they can to come up with pitching. They hadn't quite had the same success they had in Houston of finding pitching, even if they aren't spending earlier around picks on it.
Speaker 1: Very interesting the dollars are pretty massive here for some of this stuff, Jim, as you well know, you put this out every year. The number one pick, which will be the White Sox this year, has a bonus slot of eleven point three to five million. The number one pick in the draft, the Oriel seventh pick, has a bonus slot of seven point three to two seven million, which is more than half of the Orioles total pool for ten rounds of picks. And then it's still eleven for eleven and twenty gym, isn't it one hundred and fifty thousand tops? If you go over, it comes out of the pool for those picks.
Speaker 2: Correct. Correct. So the Oriels have, you know, like you said, thirteen million, little over thirteen million. If they spend five percent over the pool, which is the max you can go without losing first round picks, they can get closer to fourteen. They'll be You know that pick seven is gonna be interesting from a financial standpoint, because, like I said, you have your it doesn't always work out this way, and it probably won't. You have your kind of clear top six guys, and everybody thinks they're going to go one through six. So the Oyls could entertain like, let's say there's four guys they like the same, or similarly, you take the guy who's least likely to go high and maybe you can save some money there without sacrificing talent in your mind compared to who's on the board, and then spend it later. So it'll be really interesting to see what they do with that. They'll be interested see if one of the top six gets to their pick, and then if they just pounce on that guy.
Speaker 1: I'll end our show with this note. The last time they drafted number seven, it worked out. The Oils would love to duplicate two thousand and three, when they drafted a young kid out of a junior college in Georgia named Nick Markakis. That worked out pretty well. They'd love to hit like that again when they draft number seven on July eleventh. Jim Man, great to spend time with you. Thanks for being with us today on Birdland Territory. The draft is July eleventh and twelfth, the Saturday and Sunday ahead of the All Star Game. And if you watch Jim and Jonathan Mayo and Melanie's with you again, right, Melanie Newman from Yes.
Speaker 2: I think I think we well I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure we're gonna be solo for like Melanie and the sides. I'll be on the sideset with Melanie. We'll be two through four, I think, all by ourselves on day one, and then Melanie, I almost she'll be with us for day two. She has been in the past. She probably will for rounds five or ten. I'll do whatever they tell me when I get there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had an administrative assistant to walk you from room to room. Listen, man, good luck with the coverage, Jim. I'm marvel when they get the rounds fifteen and sixteen watching Jim and Jonathan Mayo know so much about these young men, and it's a credit to you, guys, but it also means a lot to the people watching those kids. That's a big day for them, and you make it better for him with your coverage. Jim, thanks so much, my friend. We'll look forward to watching you on July eleventh. And thanks for being with us today.
Speaker 2: Oh no, great talking to you guys.
Speaker 1: I had a good time, Jim Gallas with us on Bird and Territory. Those fans, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: H