Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast. The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 2: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 1: Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot.
Speaker 2: Com have you covered what did I miss yesterday?
Speaker 1: Now Here to review today's practice the writers of Patriots dot com.
Speaker 2: And today once again, that'll be Mike Dusau and Paul Parillo here high above the practice fields at Jollete Stadium, Day two in the books. Michael, we're flying a little bit more of red zone work as we talked about yesterday. A little different red zone work today, a little bit closer to the twenty the high red zone. I guess he's what the they like to call it, as opposed to the low red zone stuff that we saw yesterday. Once again, just a couple of bookkeeping items. Attendance really strong, both on and off the field. I think, another good, solid crowd here today and the Patriots I believe very health. The again, just Cody Davis and Michael Owenu on PUP and Calvin Anderson is on NFI. But otherwise we saw everybody in uniform. Matthew Judon continues to be more of a spectator. Yeah, so we'll see if we can keep an eye on that. I think he is scheduled to speak a little bit later. We'll see if that ends up holding. But Mike, your thoughts on D two, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought a little bit up and down for the offense. I mean there were moments that thought, hey, they're they're clicking. They made a couple of nice plays Devonte Parker, Juju Smith, Schuster, some nice touchdown grabs from Mac Jones, but Kyle Duggart coming down kind of a bad interception by Mac looked like you for still immediately dropped down started doing push ups. So, you know, I think, as we talked about on our live show, it's probably gonna be some overreactions to some of the up and down nature inconsistencies here early on in the offense. But I'm gonna just say, I'll take it compared to what we saw last year when it was just contest to catch, contest to catch same thing over and over again, it feels like they're working a lot of stuff in. So I'm okay right now with the offense. I'm not going to get, you know, too concerned with what's going on. But you know, certainly the interception Mac through can't happen, but I think that's probably gonna overshadow a couple of the nicer throws that he did have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a lot more, certainly confidence in what they're doing offensively because Bill O'Brien is here. I'm not gonna lie and tell you the performance has been any different or any better, because I don't really think it has been. But I just feel like some of the things that they're showing, some of the RPO looks that we're talking about during the course of the show, some of the screen looks are a little bit different, and I think some of the route concepts I think have been a little bit different as well. And they've they've gotten some guys open, not as you said, not just relying on individuals.
Speaker 3: Shot plays and catches that's fantastic catches.
Speaker 2: So I don't think it's been great, but I think it's a work in progress, and I have more confidence that it will get better as the time goes on. One thing I wanted to bring up today, Mike, some of the team periods that we saw today involved Bailey Zappi staying out there with the same guys that Jones was with I don't think we saw a ton of that yesterday, if any at all. So he got a chance to work behind the regular offensive line with the regular group of receivers. I thought he looked better today at times than he did yesterday.
Speaker 3: Again, I thought up and down.
Speaker 2: Offensively, I think there's still some I don't want to overstate it. I think offensively, there's some issues to work through and there's still a work in progress. But interesting that Zappi was getting quote unquote one reps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well, and look, you don't want to overreact, but you know, look we'll continue to watch. We're gonna be back here tomorrow, the day, you know, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I mean it's gonna go on. So you just don't want to get too crazy at this point. One guy, I just wanted, you know, to highlight look like Marcus Jones getting a little bit of a chance to run with the Ones as an outside corner. So that's a little bit of an interesting, you know development in terms of personnel. You kind of track these things to see, you know, when guys are gonna get their chance, and seem like he got a couple you know, extra reps there on the outside. Certainly gave up a couple of catches, so you know it's gonna be a process for him for sure.
Speaker 2: Great point about Marcus Jones, and I'm glad because we talked about him a lot during the show yesterday. On Day one, I thought that was the most looks he got with again the front line guys around him on defense. And he made some play too. Yeah, you're right, he gave up some plays today, but he made some as well. So interesting to see him sort of establish himself. Maybe, you know, maybe they'll they're kind of looking ahead with this Jack Jones situation. I think that has to be weighing on Bill Belichick's mind moving forward. There has to be some level of uncertainty as to his availability down the stretch. Yeah, this this schedule, to get right back at it tomorrow. Anything else kind of stand out to you today? Before you know, we should mention Chad Ryland handled the field goals at the end. It was yesterday, looked like he was perfect on five or six attempts at the end, you know, stretching out to about forty some odd yards forty three yards or so toward the end. Anything else, stand out to him.
Speaker 3: I would just highlight, you know, DeVante Parker, Juju Smith Shuster. I mean especially smith Shuster, who you know we didn't see it all in the spring, but you know, had a real nice route touchdown today. He's starting to show up a little bit. I mean, I just I think the team needs him so much, and you know, we know what we have in Devonte Parker with his you know, size and ability to come down with the ball contested catch situation. So some of those elements starting to pop up a little bit for the Patriots. And lastly, just to Mario Douglas, you know who's going to be that you know, is there a fifth receiver that can emerge from the group below those kind of top four guys. And you know, not that he got a ton of run, but he got some looks with the with the ones, and you know was over there watching with that group. It's a select kind of group that they work with at times and you know, various drills and so it seems early on he's getting a chance to to maybe you know, show what he can do his quickness jumps off the field. But you know he's gonna make some plays, make some catches and maybe really start to turn some heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a really good point about Juju. I thought there was one play that really, I like to use the phrase, looked like a Patriots play. He made a quick move to the inside, shook Christian Gonzalez. I believe it was either Gonzalez or Marcus Jones when I think it was Gonzales and had a nice touchdown catch. They're gonna need that. They're gonna need to replace that production from Myers, And I thought he was a little quiet yesterday, showed up a couple of times today. So looking at as Bill Belichick likes to say, Mike, you're looking at stack days at this stage of the summer. I thought they built a little bit off of what they did yesterday, as we talked about with the red zone. I think we'll see more of that. Looks like I think they'll be in shells tomorrow. We'll be back at it the same time and we'll give you everything you need to know, Mike, orso Paul Perl will het you tomorrow for at the next training camp cast