Speaker 1: The Love Against the World tour was everything for me.
Speaker 2: I literally woke up this morning so emotional just thinking about every single stop, every single team member.
Speaker 3: What a ride.
Speaker 1: Dead Ass.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Kadeen and I'm Devoued and we're the Ellis's.
Speaker 1: You may know us from posting funny videos with our.
Speaker 3: Voice and reading each other publicly as a form of therapy.
Speaker 1: Wait, I make you need therapy most days. Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh, and one more important thing to mention, we're married, Yes.
Speaker 1: Sir, we are.
Speaker 4: We created this podcast to open dialogue about some of li's most taboo topics.
Speaker 3: Things most folks don't want to talk about.
Speaker 4: Through the lens of a millennial married couple. Dead ass is a term that we say every day. So when we say dead ass, we're actually saying facts one hundred the truth, the whole truth.
Speaker 1: And nothing but the truth. We about to take philosof to our whole new level.
Speaker 3: Dead Ass starts right now.
Speaker 1: Storytime.
Speaker 3: So what's the story? Fine time for tour? Like there's so many stories.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell the story.
Speaker 4: A matter of fact, I'm gonna take y'all back to November November twenty twenty three, Kadeena and I had saw Beyonce four times together, and finally we went to go see Usher's second to last last show, third to last show in Vegas and we're sitting in the crowd and there's music playing, there's people getting on the stage, and then Usher comes out and I was so inspired by watching him perform that. Midway through his first set, I got up out of my seat, ran to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Facetom Brian Jordan Jr. He was sleep I said, yo, BJ. He was like, yep, yep, yep. So everything right. I was like no, He's like, what's up. What's up? Mind you?
Speaker 4: We're on West Coast time, so this was like ten thirty West Coast time, so it was one thirty East Coast time, and he's like, yeah, yeah, what's up? And I was like, Yo, I want to do the Vusher to open up my show. Kay's gonna do kan say, I need you to choreograph and I need you to creative direct the whole show. Yep.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, whatever, you can, I call you in the morning. I'm like, yeah, yeah, you'll call me in the morning. Hang up the phone, go back in the show, and me and Kay watched the whole.
Speaker 2: Show and he literally said, I just called Brian, He's going to creative direct our show and we're going to do.
Speaker 3: I was like, what are we gonna?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What here?
Speaker 3: I Am just trying to.
Speaker 1: Take in the show now.
Speaker 4: It was the funny thing to me was the inspiration of watching Greatness the entire year because we had watched Beyonce so many times, and then when watching Usher, I said, this is going to be what I want our last tour to be. I want to be able to give people this type of experience, the Beyonce experience and the Usher experience so exactly way and when we get back from storytime, that was a quick story, but I want I want to discuss with the people how we curated the show, why the show was the way it was, and what we intended.
Speaker 1: To deliver with the show.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was in that quick moment I came up with the idea for the show. Kadeen, as she always does, say Okay, baby, how we.
Speaker 2: Going to and y'all got kay and Drussia that's a fact six.
Speaker 3: Times karaoke time.
Speaker 2: When you asked what I wanted to do for karaoke today, this just instantly popped into my mind, not only is it from my favorite movie, but it just was so fitting. Shout out to Patrick Swayze, rest in peace, Rest and peace.
Speaker 3: I've had the time of my life and before Yes, I swear and literally we owe it all you guys. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I mean so many people there who listen to the podcast every single Wednesday, being able to see you guys in person, the beautiful pace faces, people dressed to the nines. You guys did all that to support us, and we are so so incredibly grateful.
Speaker 1: We appreciate ya, and we love y'all so much. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: The time of our lives we really did.
Speaker 2: This was a fun This was like our best tour yet and it's all because of you.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're back story time.
Speaker 2: We talked about Deval literally leaving the Usher experience to call Brian and say, Brian, this is what we're gonna do. And that's literally how things work with us, y'all. Like Devo will tap me in the middle of the night because he can't sleep and his mind is racing and he has an idea, and then I'm usually just like, all right, babe, so what you need me to do?
Speaker 3: How do we how are we gonna get it done.
Speaker 2: So when you mentioned that, I will say now, I didn't say it at first, but I will say that initially I was apprehensive Kaan say Davusher thing. I was not sold on it because it could be gimmicky, you know. I just wanted to be a thing where people thought like, oh, they're just coming along to just like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, do a spoof.
Speaker 2: But then it could be corny, like the approach had to be right for us to do it, and it makes sense for us. So that was my only apprehension in the beginning. But I didn't want to shoot your idea down because usually nine times out of ten, Devell has an idea and it strikes gold. So I said, let me just sit tight and see what this is going to look like and give you the opportunity, along with Brian, to really think about how we can make this for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the funny thing is when I first told you about it, I remember coming back into the concert, yes, and you was in there.
Speaker 1: You was just like, where'd you go? I was like, I was on the phone with Brian, Yeah, and you're just serious.
Speaker 4: What happened? I said, not not my brother, Brian. Brian joined Junior and he's like, oh, I see, okay, I see. I was telling him I wanted him to direct Dvusher and Chaon Say and you say what what?
Speaker 3: I was like, what he's like where you come from?
Speaker 1: You said, what are you talking about? I got an idea because I.
Speaker 2: Did initially say to you after seeing him produce The Whiz here in Atlanta. U. Yes, I said, if we had to bring someone on board to creative direct the show from start to finish, he would be the perfect person for that. Like his strength is in theater and performance and live shows, like that's what he does. So I wasn't completely opposed to it, but it was the whole devuser Kaan Say thing that I was just like, I don't know how this is going to go.
Speaker 4: Over see I to me, it was this, I always want to elevate the show. So we do a tour every year, and from year to year we've always found a different element to add to the show. So I was like, what element can we add to the show this year that's going to allow for people to say, Wow, the Ellises are always giving us more.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I also just.
Speaker 4: Wanted us to be challenged coming off of last year, you had just finished walking on the wrong way. I watched you lose twenty pounds. We got on that journey together because everything we do we do at the same time. You went to the doctor, found out what you were allergic to change your diet, cut out dairy, cut out red meat, and I said, I was going to do it with you.
Speaker 1: I noticed that my body was starting to change.
Speaker 4: I was inspired watching Beyonce be in her forties and do everything she did. Then I watched Usher get on skates and being his forty and dance and sing, and it just made me feel like, you know what, as performers, I don't want to put us in a box.
Speaker 1: As we tell stories and we tell.
Speaker 2: Jokes, right like, how can we push ourselves yes to do something that we didn't think that we could do. I mean, granted, with the whole Beyonce Usher thing, I.
Speaker 3: Just didn't expect like full on choreography.
Speaker 1: I know you didn't either, you.
Speaker 4: Know so, But that's Brian Jordan Junior's genius because he said to me, he said, Devala, if you're gonna do this, I'm gonna need you to do it.
Speaker 3: No, for sure.
Speaker 2: That was the first conversation we had with him, because he's very serious about this too. He did not take this as a joke. He say, if I'm going to be attaching my name to this, it has to make sense for all of us.
Speaker 4: And I appreciate shout out to Brian Jordan Junior because super professional we met. Of course, as everyone knows through sisters, he's become a family friend, he's become a brother. But when it comes to this work in his craft, he cut no corners. Yeah, none. He went out and interviewed and auditioned dancers and it was a long four week process going back and forth sending us film, you know, showing us the choreography. He added the lights, he added the music, he put together the video. Like after watching The Wiz, I knew he was going to do a good product. But when he said to me, you can't take this as a joke, he said, everything you do de vou is comedic when it comes to dead ass podcast, but this part can't be a joke. Yeah, And he said, the only way it's going to come off good enough for people to respect it is if you respect the art behind it.
Speaker 2: And that meant putting in the work man, That meant actually physically dancing, and like I said to everyone, I have not used my dancer side of the brain in twenty one years. Like I used to dance competitively as a kid, yes, up until I met you. And then Deval just had me himed up in a dorm.
Speaker 1: Room and now she love for me.
Speaker 2: A baby. But the classically trained dancer in me had not made an appearance in twenty one years. So the idea of me having to dust off my dance shoes, you know, so to speak and dance and heels, I can.
Speaker 4: I also cut you off for a minute and tell you how proud I am of you, because I remember when my cousin Wayne, his wife is a dancer, Yes she had a baby, and I was talking to him about how is his wife doing, you know, after having a baby getting back to dance, and he said it was tough because when you have a child, your body changes, your hips spread, your ligaments become more lubricated, and your muscles changing. Your your body is not the same way as it was before. So for me to watch you go from being a classically trained dancer in ballet you did tap, then having four kids twenty years later to get back to that. I was inspired because I'm like, wow, like you really took the time to go back in the crates twenty years to get that that instrument back out.
Speaker 1: So I want to shout out to you because that's not easy.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 4: I've been an athlete my whole life. I still trained like an athlete. I never had to have kids. I still lift weights and jump, So for me doing those, some of those things were different because I never trained, but my body has never gone through that type of trauma.
Speaker 1: So I just wanted to shout you out for that.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, babe, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like it made me believe in muscle memory to an extent because I'm just like, okay, people say that it's still there, if it's if it's been there, And even when it came down to the sun, you.
Speaker 1: Got the fucking split in like three weeks.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it myself.
Speaker 2: And that just tells you the power of the mind and the power of working. Like putting your mind to something and just physically doing the work, you're going to get the result. Because I never thought that I'd be able to do it split again. But I remember Brian saying to me and Kayla, one of the answers, if you did it before, you can do it again, And they just showed me the different stretches to do different exercises that I wanted. I was on YouTube. I found a woman who had results for people. In the comments were like, I gotta split in nine days. I got a split in fourteen days. And I would do my workouts and then I would stretch after. And let me tell you how much just the dancing, the stretching and being consistent with that and working out has helped my back problems. I've talked about going to the chiropractor. Yeah, I've seen the Patreon episode about the chiropractor. My back issues have now also been alleviated. So it just made me believe more like Kadin, once you start this stuff, now keep going because your body needs that. Your body has been accustomed to it. You just stopped and you had mag kids.
Speaker 4: I will also add to that too, changing your diet. When you found out that you shouldn't be eating dairy, there were certain grains you couldn't eat.
Speaker 1: You can meat.
Speaker 4: The inflammation in your body walk We as humans often walk around bloated for no reason because we just eat what they said we're supposed to eat.
Speaker 1: You know, you want muscles eat protein.
Speaker 4: So I was constantly consuming eggs, chicken, and beef, and I used to walk around blot it all the time. You used to say this, as much as you work out, why has always seemed like your stomach's protruder? And I'm like, you know, I don't have a lot of body fat around my midsection, but I just always feel bloated when I cut those things out, and I watched my body just shrink it. Liter is his imflammation in my knee. Yeah, remember I had a knee injury of August.
Speaker 3: She forgot about your knee.
Speaker 4: I went from I went from not being able to jog on the treadmill to doing backflips multiple times a day.
Speaker 2: In choreography, first of all, let me give you your flowers, okay, because Devell is not a classically trained dancer. Malcolm move though he got some rhythm like he's done his little mj routines over the years and all that good stuff. He battled Neo at his wedding Like Devall has done a lot of things when it.
Speaker 3: Comes to dancing.
Speaker 2: He's been pop locking and brooking up for years. But the choreography that Brian put together for the guys specifically, like the girls, we had choreography, but a lot of it was also just like giving personality, but you had actual choreography that was like on the Double count.
Speaker 1: I almost had struggle watching it, trying.
Speaker 2: To learn it, learn it, but baby diligent, Like I'd be in the kitchen cooking randomly. It'd be like one in the morning, We're like making snacks or whatever.
Speaker 3: And Deval was literally like, that's.
Speaker 2: To the point where I even know the choreography now, you know.
Speaker 3: And he even asked the dancers.
Speaker 2: He was like, man, like, I can't move my arms as fluid as y'all do. And that's when they were like, Bro, you gotta stop pumping all that iron real quick and just stretch and really be able to elongate and show those lines. And you really were putting in the work. You were pulling me to rehearse. I was pulling you to rehearse. We were doing individual rehearsals. I told shere, whatever show, you're gonna have me dancing, and girl, get me to shoot so I could practice ahead of time. Like we really committed to it. And I'm proud of us for doing that. I'm so proud of us.
Speaker 1: Proud of us. I'm proud of our whole team.
Speaker 3: Like, we don't even get me started on the team.
Speaker 1: I know you're gonna cry because watch that video.
Speaker 4: We're we're gonna post a video on Patreon, the Crew Love video, Yes, that we decided to come up with. K came up with the idea for the song, and Josh curated the video and put together all the clips. Matt captured the footage, Like, our whole team came together to create an experience not only for the folks watching, but also for our crew to understand that they're respected, they're loved and wet out to everyone, but but to take back to like why the show was created and for us, love against the world was an obvious answer because Kadeen and I just feel like you can solve any problem with love. And we live in a time now where social media has consumed so much of people's identity, so much of who we feel we are, that we lose sight of the fact that there's an outside world.
Speaker 2: That exists in a real world, that it speaks. So much of social media is so false and so negative and so pretentious.
Speaker 4: The negative negativity and pretentio everyone that it's hard to understand that there is love that still exists in the world. So for us, this tour was about sharing and spreading love to everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a tangible way, right because we do it through social media. We do it through the podcast like you guys listen, you watch Patreon. But it's something about being collectively in that space. It starts with our team getting together. We feed off of each other. Everyone is inspired by each other, like we literally have gotten some of the masters in their respective feels together to collaborate with us to find ways to elevate this show. And that was a purposeful move for us this time around, to make sure that everybody was bringing a piece of the puzzle to make it what it was. And I think that that was the greatest gift that we had while we when we curated this show, was really making sure that we had our team pulling together their resources and their talents and their abilities to really make this a family, a family produced show that we can bring to you guys in person and being in the room and feeling your energy, like that's what we wanted.
Speaker 4: And we wanted to give you guys an experience that I feel like for the past three years we haven't really gotten because of the pandemic and in quarantine.
Speaker 1: It feel like live shows weren't a thing for like the last three years.
Speaker 4: So for me, it was like Yo, I went to Beyonce and I walked out of Beyonce feeling excited about attending a live show. And we went to go see Llo Coolj. Then we went to go see Drake. Then we want to go see Usher, And I said, I want to provide an experience for people. If people are going to give us two to three hours of their time, I want to put on a show for three hours that people can walk out feeling like that was just great. It was just love, because that's how I felt when I walked out of Usher, when I walked out of Beyonce in particular, those two in particular, I felt like the energy in the room was like high vibrational.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was about love. It was about let's enjoy the time together. Hip Hop is a little different. Hip hop is very very competitive. So when I watched LL, it put me in a different mindset. But that mindset I Oweso put on this show because ll is one of the greatest live performers I've seen, absolutely MC with a mic, you know what I'm saying, Like, not a lot of mcs can get on a stage and rap and command an entire all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was nostalgic for us to write because I mean, we grew up listening to so many of his greatest hits.
Speaker 3: That was perfect.
Speaker 4: That's what I work out to, so you know them three in particular allowed me to come up with a concept that I wanted to see come to fruition. And then I sat down with Josh, I sat down with Brian. We curated a run of show, and we made it make sense because when I added Brian to the show, Brian had saw the show every single time we did it.
Speaker 3: He always supported and came out to the shows.
Speaker 1: Came out.
Speaker 4: But Josh is who I sit down with to curate the show and create the run of show. So I had to sit down and Josh figure out what's the run time? What pieces can we put in between two because I also realized if we're going to do a full seven minute dance set, we're gonna need some time for wig changes, wardrobe changes, and then we included the documentary and I'm not going to say that we stole, but we definitely paid homage to Beyonce in the fact that she put little bits of a documentary in the change.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely to keep people entertained an engage while you had to do that. I think the beauty in what we're doing with the live podcast arena is that they're really contrary to like performers like Beyonce, Usher or Ll there's kind of like a blueprint of what people are looking for when they come to these shows. Right, you're expecting to be entertained, You're going to hear some of your favorite songs, you may hear some new stuff, Like there's a vibe that already has been built into that circuit.
Speaker 3: But for us, as live.
Speaker 2: Podcasts performers or having a live podcast show, there really is no blueprints for us in terms of what people are coming to expect. So so many times people who haven't been to a previous show. We've heard even in the meet and greet, some guys come with their girl for the first time, the don't really know us, and they're like, man, I didn't really know what to expect it for a live podcast show. But this was dope, Like this was a whole experience. It felt like a variety show. Yes, I saw some persons and I have a concert at a live podcast. They were like, I don't really know what I'm attending, but I attended it and I had the best time. You know. So we are really just trying to find ways to make sure that we're reinventing ourselves, giving people a different experience each time you hear us talk so much, so we just you know, like the podcast you hear us talk, for us to sit on stage for ninety minutes to talk again, it's cool, but no, we want you guys to be like, man, I had a time. So I love that we're able to curate this show with Josh and with Brian and with Matt and with our team DJ executive to also you know, telling us his feedback because you know, he's able to come in and see the audience and he's the first encounter the audience has.
Speaker 3: You know that we brought mouth on.
Speaker 2: So there were just so many different components that I felt like made the show what it was.
Speaker 4: We had a dead ass court, you know, trouble, and that came from because we always do an after show for the podcast and the Yes. The after show has become like a fan favorite because we actually have to have We get to have discussions and Trible and I often debate in the after show and it's become funny, but it's actually real, like real information because I learned a lot about different perspectives of life when I hear from Trouble or when Josh added a little something one day and you was like you, I never thought about that, and you talk to me all the time, but you heard from a different husband. So dead Ass Court became a thing because it was like, what if we did the after show live?
Speaker 1: You know, like what if we did that? Literally what it is, That's what it became.
Speaker 3: That's how it became. We had two amazing moments.
Speaker 2: One was at the Apollo Yes and the other at Atlanta Stop. You know, we'll talk more about that when we recap our favorite, but yeah, it just it just really inspired me to feel like wow, like there there are no limits to what this live podcast show is going to be in looking for us, so we're not mirroring it in anybody else's image. We're literally just trying to give people what we feel you guys want. So we're hoping that we're you know, hitting the nail on the head those of you who came and not for nothing.
Speaker 4: We are podcasters, that's one thing that we do. True, we're also thespians. We've also trained true excuse me, many art of oratory for years. You got your master's degree in uh speech, communication and performance. You're a classically trained dancer. There's so many parts of you that people don't get a chance to see when you put on a show for people, show all your talents, but so many people don't know that Trouble is a stand up.
Speaker 1: Now you get a chance to watch it beforehand.
Speaker 4: Dead ass Court get to do her stand up when she's meeting people on the meet and greet, like all of our friends have so many different times that this is just an opportunity created by us for us to showcase to everyone what we can do, and hopefully not only for just Cadeen and I, but for our entire team. They get to go do so many more things because they've done this right.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: For example, they can be producers or executives watching our podcasts and say who did the wig changes? How did they get Kadeen from a Beyonce bump to a bob in ten minutes, and now Janelle is out there somewhere doing big time movie, which is gonna.
Speaker 2: Be hope for everybody, Like the buck doesn't stop here within the Dead Ass podcast community or the deval in Kadeen, the Ellis's realm, Like we root for our team hard. We want them to go out and soar. I mean, still be available when I call your ass. Okay, let's not get ahead of ourselves, but no, we want this to open doors for them and make them feel like, wow, I'm empowered to do whatever I want. Yeah, you know, Kadeen and devalag on back y'all one hundred and ten percent every step of the way. But that's a good point that you may, babe, Like, there's so many layers to so many people in our team. Like I even think about myself. So many people who watch, for example, the YouTube blogs or who have been following us for the past seven years have really only seen me having babies, yes, you know, pregnant, getting back after another baby.
Speaker 3: I'm doing all the.
Speaker 2: The mom content and the wife content, but not even realizing like there's.
Speaker 1: You are a whole performer in your other side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's all the other sides of Kadeen that people have not even seen yet.
Speaker 3: And that was something I'm purposeful about.
Speaker 2: Even when I turn forty, I'm like, now I'm excited to see what the rest of my life can look like, now that I'm getting back into my comfort zone of what I love to do, and that's perform, Like I come alive on stage, and I think it's it's part me just loving that space and being able to perform live and in person with people, but also feeding off the energy of the crowd, like that gives me the fuel that I need in those spaces.
Speaker 4: Your pageant girl came out when you got on stage because I watched you go from mom relaxed, chill, devour wife and then when they call you out there, it's like boom.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I watch, I watched you elongate, I watch your posture change, I watch the way you face the crowd, and I say, for years, like for years you trained to be on stage and to present to people. Yeah, you deserve to showcase that. And here's and here's what it reminded me of. In the nineties, I watched the show created by a man who put his whole family on and his friends.
Speaker 1: The show was called in Living Color.
Speaker 4: It was a variety show. They had dancers. One of those dancers went on to become one of the greatest entertainers we know. Her name is j Lo, Tommy Davis and Jim Carrey, Jamie Fox. Oh my god, Like the list can go on and on all of the Waynes that's charl Wayne's, Marlon Wayne's. But it started with a little variety show that no one paid any attention to. And it was supposed to be the black version Saturday Night Live. And it ran for I think seven to nine seasons and it kind of went away. But then we watched all of the people from that show just flourish. That's when I came up with the concept for this tour, and you agreed to do it with me.
Speaker 1: That's what I foresaw.
Speaker 4: I said, people are gonna watch you do these costume changes and watch me, and they're going to say, who designed this for them?
Speaker 1: Oh, that was Shari?
Speaker 4: Can we get her for this? People are going to watch two creative directed this. I was Brian Jordan Jr. You think we can get him for this?
Speaker 2: You know when you look at the footage after who edited this? You know what I'm saying, Josh, you know, yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you from from this tour. And this is why it's hard for me to say it's the last I want to look at the camera and already tell y'all that it's it's a decision that you know, it's just a decision that's tough for us to make. But we we have so many other things, including being parents that we have to focus on because we have not been as involved in our children's life over the last three months because we've been preparing so much and that's hard, that's extremely difficult. So we we we're still thinking, thinking, but as of right now, I can I can see this as being like, hey, it's a good way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we went out.
Speaker 2: Like we said in the in the first caption that you posted, like you know, see the Elyssies go out with the bang, and I was like, is this really it? But yeah, yeah, there's just like like we said, there's so many layers to the Ellisis. There's so many layers to Devo as an individual, Kadeen as an individual, so many more things that we want to do and we're just hoping that the live shows, you know, once the footage is released or whoever attended the show can just see like, man, I didn't realize that Kadeen could do that, or damn, I see a Deval do a stand up, like he's not a stand up, but he is like a stand up. You know, there's just so many different avenues that we can take. So we receive that, you know, we're open to it, and again, in God's timing, when those opportunities present themselves, then we can make those decisions. You know, we'll see what's next, y'all. There's a lot to consider. But I have to give you your flowers again and say you were right with this one. You were right with this one. We committed to it. Like Brian said, it's not going to be gimmicky and funny and goofy. It's like, no, you're gonna dance, y'all asses off, open the show up, and then we're gonna roll into giving people the real dead ass experience.
Speaker 3: And I think we achieved that. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it all right, So we're gonna go ahead and we're gonna pay some more bills because Baby, A tour is expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, expensive.
Speaker 2: I love my team, but ship the invoice is rolling in now at the end of the tour. That might be another reason why I was a little emotional this morning, like, oh my god. So yeah, let me go pay these bills real quick, and so we compare our people and then we'll be back with some listening letters.
Speaker 3: So stick around, y'all.
Speaker 4: All right, y'all be back, and you know we're back with Kadeen's favorite time to get in everybody.
Speaker 3: Ways baby, between listening letters and dead ass court. Yell baby, but they need.
Speaker 2: To give me some stronger plaintives because this prosecuting attorney over here, they didn't be making it real hard for me.
Speaker 1: And these get out last one in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, they make it real young, like.
Speaker 1: She's The funny thing is babies.
Speaker 4: When we asked when we have young couples and they come up on stage, they never really have a lot to say. And I think about how we were at that age, and we wouldn't have a lot to say either.
Speaker 1: Five talk about.
Speaker 2: Relationship being on a stage in front of eighteen hundred people judging you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's pretty difficult. It's pretty different.
Speaker 2: So so shout out to everybody who participated at Dead Ass Podcast court at the live shows.
Speaker 3: No Easy feat.
Speaker 2: All right, let's jump into listener letters. Dear to Valencadein Hey family, like you guys, Like you guys are really my family. I love that I've been following you guys since those Brooklyn apartment days when it was just you and Jackson.
Speaker 3: We love that. We actually just Jackson came to gave me.
Speaker 2: A big hug today and he was like, Mom, like we're doing like all these things like we started in Brooklyn. Like even Jackson sees it and I love it. He can remember that, you know, he remembers those days. Yeah, I'm talking about those YouTube days. Now you all are parents to four whole boys, beautiful black boys. To see where you all started and to see where you are and you're going God is amazing. Indeed, thank you so much for that. I really don't have any advice. I just want to give you your flowers.
Speaker 3: Oh emotional, I can't deal.
Speaker 2: I always believe in giving people the flowers they deserve.
Speaker 3: You guys are amazing.
Speaker 2: I just want to let you know that we see you, we hear you, and that I'm always here to support anything that you do, from the.
Speaker 3: Live shows to the live book tour.
Speaker 2: I've been to every show that came through DC and have taken something new from each one. I love that, we love that you have takeaways every time I have read your book I believe three times now, and I've taken some different, something different from it each time. Wow, I really you really do something with that book, or you really did something with that book. Thank you, I thank you and I appreciate you guys so much.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 2: Continue to be the beacon that beacon and continue to inspire us all. I love you, I see you love Kim from Merlin, Kim from Merlin.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so much. Kim.
Speaker 2: You know to hear that you've read the book several times and you've taken something different away from me each time. It is really beautiful. While we were on the Meet and Greek line, I think it was in Atlanta, it might have been last night. Actually everything's a blur, but someone brought their book for me to sign and literally in the cover, did you see it?
Speaker 3: She had like.
Speaker 2: Copious amounts of notes that she took from the book. And it's crazy because Daval and I sometimes feel like, man, are we saying the same things over and over again but in different ways?
Speaker 3: Like are people going to receive it? We're tired of hearing it.
Speaker 2: We don't know if y'all are tired of hearing it, but we continue to share because there's people who are still being introduced to us, who can experience us in a new way. Or like you said, you read the book three different times and you pull something different from it. I've had people come on that meet and greet line and whisper to me, you guys literally saved my marriage, or you help me communicate with my husband in a way I never.
Speaker 3: Was able to do before.
Speaker 2: So the fact that we're here literally doing God's work, it makes me feel so good to be walking in my purpose because I never knew what that purpose was, and I was trying to figure out what it was for so long.
Speaker 3: But this is definitely it.
Speaker 2: So thank you that gives me, at least personally, the drive to want to continue.
Speaker 3: Y'all be making it hard for me to want to walk away from this mic.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like when you want it, you feel me.
Speaker 2: But thank you for that love note Kim Merlin, we appreciate you and we love you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you. It's nice to have the flowers presented.
Speaker 1: Listener letter number two, Hey to Valon Kadeen.
Speaker 4: Let me start off by saying, your live show this year in Dallas was so much fun.
Speaker 1: I had such a good time.
Speaker 4: I was front row and enjoyed the Vush's moonwalk, beonce Split, the hilarious dead ass court, and your vulnerability during Q and A. Then to hug and give you, Then to hug and give love to you both in person at the meet and greet with such a blessing. Thank you for all that you do. Will always support the ILLNESSUS and I'm Patreon fam. So I'm about to be thirty in August ninety four. Baby, My village is very proud of the woman I'm becoming, and I never want to disappoint them. However, I want to live a life that makes me happy, regardless of anyone's opinion. As you all are entering your forties, what advice would you give your twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Year old self entering your thirties?
Speaker 4: What would you do different or keep the same, And how do you balance making your village proud but also living authentic to yourself?
Speaker 1: Love you all, that's.
Speaker 3: A really good one. That's a really good one.
Speaker 1: It's easy for me if they are village.
Speaker 4: Your village is going to be proud of whatever you do as long as you're happy, as long as you're not a detriment to yourself or anyone else. If you really truly have a village, they are going to be in alignment with whatever makes you happy. If they're not as supportive, what makes you happy, Ask yourself if they really your true village, because they may not be.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 2: My twenty nine year old self worried so much about what everybody else thought village included, because I think there was a fear for me of thinking, like, man, my parents have invested so much in me over the years that I don't want to disappoint them. But I had to also realize that this is also my life right, and though I don't want to disappoint them, I had to kind of go out on a limb sometimes and do things that might have been against what they thought was in my best interest at the time. But my gut was telling me this was the right move, or God was like Gurkadine, this is the right time. So now in my forties, in retrospect, I wish I cared a lot less about what people thought. What I wouldn't change is the desire to continue to make my village proud, because everything that's a val and I do, we do aim to make our families proud, and we want them to feel like man like Devala Kadeen or Kadeen. Rather when it comes to my family, she's really just out here living in her purpose. She's doing the things that she wants to do. She's not a detriment to herself or to society. She's being the best wife and mom that she could be. So I would have told myself earlier on to just man, forget the noise, forget what everybody else thinks, and just do what your gut is telling you to do. Go in the path that God is leading you. And that's what's gotten me here today. So you're true to yourself.
Speaker 4: You added some valuable points there that I think I might have missed when you said that trying to make your village proud. I think that is a valuable point because your village when you're young pours into you. So a lot of times we try to make our village proud when we don't realize that we are making our village proud by just being who they created the foundation for.
Speaker 1: Us to be. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves and we say, well, my village would want me to do this, so let me do this, as opposed to asking myself, am I projecting some things that I want to do on my village.
Speaker 1: And saying I'm only doing this because.
Speaker 3: Of my village.
Speaker 2: That's also a surefire way to be upset yourself, you know, to be unhappy, to be unhappy, you're right. Even thinking back to me, for example, given having the conversation with my parents that I'm going to move to Michigan to be with you when you were a part of the Lions, graduated from grad school, you know, I said I'm going to live in Detroit with Deval because he needs me there for support. And my mother was like, what, Like, how am I going to tell your grandmother and your aunts and your uncles that You're moving to go live with a man in Detroit. But in that moment, I knew what Deval needed. This was my partner, my best friend. I'm like, he needs me to be there to support him through what's a huge, major life changing moment for him and could potentially be for us if we did continue to stay together and get engaged and married. So why not if I could and had the ability and the resources to stay with him so that way he can be his best self in that moment, why would I not? So imagine if I didn't come to Michigan to stay with you, you know, and you were able to perform to the best of your ability because you were just homesick, or you were missing me, or we were trying to deal with this since you know, that was a moment where I just had to go with my gut and say, hey, I'm going to be with my mand But.
Speaker 4: That also comes to show like God gives us all each our own individual vision.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: There is no one vision that God has for everyone and we all see the same vision. That's just not the case, right. God speaks to us all differently. We all have our own relationship with God, absolutely, and sometimes it takes time for your village to see the vision that.
Speaker 1: God gave you.
Speaker 4: As long as you're moving in alignment with God, and you're moving in alignment with what you truly want to do with yourself, your village will be fine. They may not see it right here, because I said this at this podcast. God will give you foresight, you know what I'm saying. God will get foresight, but sometimes the people around you have insight. Those who have insight don't see the foresight.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If God has given you foresight to see what's best for you, don't ignore that foresight because the people giving you insight is your village, so you have to learn how to balance it and always know that time over time, history is are your best friend. They may not see it right now, but if you know you're doing the right thing, just keep pushing forward.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, like you said, if they're really your village, even if your foresight might have fell a little short, they're gonna be there for you regardless, absolutely regardless, and if not, get you a new village.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all.
Speaker 2: If you want to be featured as a future listener letter here on Dead Ass Podcast, be sure to email us at Deadass Advice at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: That's d E A D A S S A d V I C E at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Moment of Truth time we're talking about the Love Against the World tour, how we creatively came up with this tour, what this show looked like from inception to stage. And my moment of truth is I'm still listening to Devo and his plans because they usually, like I said, nine point eight times out of ten, they hit. But no, I think the overarching moment of truth for me is just really believing in myself and knowing that whatever it is that I put my mind too, I can do.
Speaker 3: Even at forty years old.
Speaker 2: That's not something that you tell children, you know, as they're growing up in grade school or elementary school.
Speaker 3: You can be whatever you want to be.
Speaker 2: It sounds so like cliche for kids, but us as adults in our twenties and thirties and forties and fifties can still if you put your mind to it, and you work at it, and you prey on it, and you stretch, and you have some icy hot and ben gay and ep some salt nearby, you can do it.
Speaker 1: You can't do it, you can. I watch you do it. Baby.
Speaker 2: Your thick ass good need a little bit like a rub down soon, Okay.
Speaker 1: I got you. You let me know what you need now.
Speaker 2: Six slits several in between. I'm gonna keep it up though listening, I'm gonna take me a dance class. You will take me a dance classes too, because I use muscles in my body. I forgot existed, and your body's changed because even my core. Like we literally did fittings with Juria shout out to Jarea our Taylor.
Speaker 3: We did fittings with her in what was it?
Speaker 2: That was early February, end of January, yeah, d of January, and she was putting clothes on us at the show dud CHERI and thirteenth, I mean in DC. My dress was falling off. That was pants ways to loose. They were like, wait a second, it's only been like two three weeks and y'all are like disappearing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, good times, y'all, good times. What's your moment of truth, babe?
Speaker 4: My moment of truth is very simple. It's always love against the world. Always, that's it.
Speaker 1: You can create anything with love.
Speaker 4: When you create things, create things thinking about your village and your people. How can everybody around you gain from it? You know, you can't create anything and be selfish and think me, me me. I want to know everybody and our crew is a star in their own right, absolutely, from here to make up to audio, visual, creative direction, the dancers us as talent, everybody's a star. And watching what in Living Color was able to do with their whole family and then all of those friends, I feel like we can do the same thing.
Speaker 1: And my moment of truth is we're about to go do it.
Speaker 4: This may be the last tour, but this won't be the last time you see this crew together doing something.
Speaker 3: That's a fact.
Speaker 2: It's love against the world, but it's also love within our world.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I like that. I like that?
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 3: Bars te will no, I got the bars.
Speaker 2: All right, y'all be sure to follow us and find us on Patreon if you have not yet, shout out to our Patreon Ganganggang, You're yellow and I love to see it.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: You'll find the exclusive dead Ass podcast content there as well as Ellis Family content, and you can find us on social media as well.
Speaker 3: Check out the dead Ass podcast page.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have lots of recaps from the tour as well as on my page Kadeen I am and I.
Speaker 4: Am Deval And also make sure you get your copy of We Over Me The counterintuitive approach to getting everything you want out of your relationship. And if you're listening on Apple podcasts, be sure to rate, review.
Speaker 3: And subscribe dead Ass, Baby Love Y'all.
Speaker 4: Dead Ass is production of iHeartMedia podcast Network and is produced by Donor, Pinya and Treble. Follow the podcast on social media at dead Ass the Podcast and never miss a Thing