Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tommy Didario. So this is a very special episode because I got to sit down with an amazing artist. Her name is Alexandra Kay, and I did an interview for iHeart National Content. But I enjoyed the interview so much I wanted to put it on my podcast, And of course I had to ask her my signature question at the end, which I'm going to get to in a minute. But Alexandra Kay is an incredible, incredible country singer who has an amazing story. Her sophomore album is out now. And a side note, if you haven't heard her song Straight for the Heart, you guys, it is so good. I listened to it on repeat in the gym. But what I really love about Alexandra and I let the interview feeling so inspired. She had some cards stacked against her at one point in her career, but she didn't let that stop her.
Speaker 2: She took matters into her.
Speaker 1: Own hands and in many ways is successful today because of choices she made on her own. She didn't wait around for people to give her permission. She did it herself. And I think this is such a great message for anyone who's pursuing anything in any different avenue or lane to keep going after your dreams. If you believe in yourself, you can do it. You don't have to always rely on someone else. So for that reason alone, I think she is spectacular. But let's also talk about the talent, because she is so brilliant and such a great singer songwriter. So I'm really excited for those who know Alexandra, for you to hopefully hear a different side to her, and for those who don't to get to know someone who definitely should be on your radar. And her never said this before moment at the end. Man, it is so relatable. It's something I feel like a lot of us don't talk about, but we definitely all feel it. So I hope you enjoyed this episode, and let's see if we can get Alexandra to say something that she has never said before. Hey guys, I'm Tommy Dedaria with iHeartRadio and I'm here with the.
Speaker 2: Brilliantly talented Alexandra Ka. How are you?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I am good. We're so happy to have you here. You, my friend, have been blowing up.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, thank you. I feel like it's just I'm just hanging on for deal life, like you know what I mean? Like that, I'm happy to be in the whirlwind, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Well what year you've been having? Right?
Speaker 1: You have your second sophomore album out now, which is brilliant. I was just telling you, I've been listening to it NonStop.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So every song I'm like, you got the vocals, you got the melodies, you've got the rhythm. I mean, there's bopsters, ballads. It is such a great collection of songs.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Tell me about the title first of all.
Speaker 4: So I decided to name it Second Win because I wrote my debut album it's called All I've Ever Known, and I wrote that after coming out of a divorce and I was with my ex for eleven years, and so I wrote that record really as just kind of a I have to do this for myself, because this is how I've been processing things since I was a kid. It's writing songs or poems or whatever. And I didn't know that everybody was gonna hear it, and then once they did, they loved it, and I was happy about that, but it really brought them into my life in a very personal way. And so I decided with the next album that I wanted to keep those doors open and still be very personal and bury myself. And so Second Wind is really representing trusting someone else with my heart again and like feeling like being in love again is a possibility. And then I'm not completely closed off to it. And I've been with my boyfriend now for two years.
Speaker 2: So yeah, look at you smiling talking about him.
Speaker 4: He's the best.
Speaker 2: Look at you smiling. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that your first album, you know, is something that many of us experience, right heartbreak and going through a tough breakup or divorce or anything like that in a relationship. And then this album's like, you know what, you can come through the other side for sure.
Speaker 4: And that's like the biggest thing that I say on stage, because I'll sing a song like I Believe on the last record, which was me at my absolute lowest and feeling like, oh my gosh, how am I ever going to get through my life when all I know is this person? And then I'm able to follow that up with a song like the last off this album or what He Does or Second Wind, and I'm able to say, if you were feeling the last song, and you were really relating to the lyrics of ever Leave. Please just know that what I'm about to sing is where I'm at now and you can be there too. I'm happier than I've ever been, more confident than I've ever been, more in love than I've ever been, and that they can find that too. You know they're relating to it. So I'm glad. I was happy to finally put some happy songs out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know which one. I love Straight for the Heart. I mean, come on now. First of all, I feel like it's this like defiant breakup song.
Speaker 1: And yeah, again, many of us have been there before. The video is spectacular. I want to light someone's car on fire now. I love it. It's so good. Thank you talk to me about that song? What made you be like, oh no, no, I need to record this.
Speaker 4: So this was my first pitch meeting I had ever had. And when I was an independent for a really long time, like I think in between my two record deals was seven years or six years, and I decided to stay independent, and and during that time, I was really missing the opportunity to record like all of the bangers that are being written in Nashville, every single day, like we'd live in such a crazy city where for every great song that's written, another incredible song is written within the same hour. And it's it's something that I'm a lover of songs, Like I love performing, I love that aspect, but I love songs first and foremost way. I love country music. And so my first opportunity with the label, I said, Okay, gimme give me all the saws, so I want to hear them all. And so I believe this was like the second or third song that I was ever pitched, and I was in the room at BMG, and I was like, okay, stop, can no one else can hear this? Like it cannot be shared to anybody else. This has to be my song. And then who would have known it be my first top thirtyeth country radio.
Speaker 2: So come on, come on that. What was it about the message that made you just fall in love with it?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, I definitely felt that. I definitely felt like, Okay, I can't continue to stay in this weird limbo of are we supposed to be together?
Speaker 3: Are we not?
Speaker 4: Like we just need to pull the trigger. The band aid Austin, like let each other go. If that's what needs to happen. And I'm a very hold on to people, and I have held on to people in my life for way longer than I think that they actually really deserve to be there in different instances in my life, right, even like when I was a teenager and stuff in friend groups and stuff like that, and so that message of just I need a clean break otherwise a piece of me is always going to remain here really really resonated with me. And then also of course I heard like the first drop and that like crazy chorus, and I was like, Okay, yeah it's a banger, and yeah, I'm happy with how it's done.
Speaker 2: That must be a fun one to perform.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really really cool, and it's now it's really cool because of what it's done on country radio and how it's helped me so much. It's now the loudest song everybody sings every night. And I was used to everlif being that one that everybody came for and straight for the heart is kind of knocked it off its throne, which I think is cool.
Speaker 1: And it's a reflection of where you are now too, right like in a more like empowered place, stronger.
Speaker 4: Much stronger. I mean I was so weak when I went through my divorce. I truly like did not know how I was going to survive. Thank God for my manager Beth, who let me live at her house while I was going through it and helped me through the whole thing. And yeah, I'm definitely stronger from it. I look back and I'm like, wow, I have no idea how to survive that, you know.
Speaker 1: But that's what's cool is your music is helping people survive what they're going through. Like how you did it, you know what I mean. It's a really cool thing that you did put it out there. I also imagine a very scary thing to like hear your deepest, darkest, most sacred thoughts for the world to hear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was so terrifying actually that I called Beth and I said, this cannot go out really Like I was like, it's way too personal because I do get very specific, I mean like painted and perfect. I'm like naming off dates like do you remember, you know, August fourteenth main stage on the beach Atlantic City. I was singing his Cousines scene, Like I really go in depth and get very very specific. All I've ever known, same way I talk about the Yellow Kitchen and a lot of people recognize that from my coffee covers on TikTok, and so I was like, no one's going to relate to and they're going to be like, what a weird record, And it had the opposite effect, which is really cool. And now you know, people fall into my arms and we have this really really crazy trauma that we both made it through, and it's brought me so much closer to my fans in like a way that I never thought that I could relate to complete strangers in this way and change everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So.
Speaker 1: As a songwriter, how do you know where you want to stop in terms of what you want to share, what's too much for you?
Speaker 4: Well, I try to be very specific but also vague enough to where I'm not hurting anybody on the other side. And so that's where I draw the line. You know, I could have very much aired out a lot of horrible things that happened, but instead I said, I'll keep the rest between him and me, you know, and I that's just who I am as a person, and I shared enough they got the hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So for someone who hasn't discovered you yet, what do you want them to know about your music and your artistry and where you are in this moment in your career.
Speaker 4: Oh, just that it's healing, and that I do it with a purpose. I do it so that we can all relate. I keep them in mind in my writing. Yes, I'm writing for me, but I'll switch things up in a way that make you feel like I'm writing about you even though I'm also writing about me. And so just that they're included in absolutely everything that I do, not just in the songwriting, but in the brand in general in my career and how I represent myself on what kind of role model I am, you know, to the younger generation that's coming to my shows, and there's more and more babies at the shows. It is crazy, which is is so cool because you know, you have the moms that have their baby next to them, and the baby singing Cube as a cowgirl, and that's what all the girls, all the little girls love Cup as a cowgirl. And then the mom is out there, you know, singing to ever leave. And it's just cool that I've gotten to touch both generations.
Speaker 2: Really cool.
Speaker 4: So it's always going to be honest, it's not always going to be comfortable to hear or to write.
Speaker 1: But it's always going to be honest, and I can't wait to se where you're going to go because you've already shared so much of your soul and but you know, put so much out there and have led us on this journey of your life, and now you're in a spot where we're all like cheering you on, and we want to be in that spot too if we're going through our own hardship.
Speaker 2: So where do you go from here?
Speaker 4: That's been the question because I've been writing a lot lately, and to be so honest, I have an entire new record completely written. I haven't cut anything yet, but it is very me. It's just what I wanted to listen to. And so when I was trying to think of, Okay, how do I not make my last record but then also not make the record before that, I was like, Okay, what would I want to listen to? Just write those songs, and so I did. It's just ended up kind of falling in between all I've ever known and Second Wind, and it's a lot of really good fun stuff and it's a lot of, you know, really sad things that people just need to have a good cry in a car about you know. And so that's how I've just continued to stay authentic to myself as just what would I want to hear you know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I want to hear that music.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: You can't tease us like that.
Speaker 4: You can't see those I'm excited for you to get it.
Speaker 2: It's really good in the near near future.
Speaker 4: We'll see, we'll see, okay, yeah, right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, whenever it feels right, whenever it feels right. And I also love how you kind of started your career on your own, right.
Speaker 1: You were putting out these covers, the coffee covers, doing these nineties country songs and original songs and posting it on social media, and that's kind of where it all began.
Speaker 4: Right, It's definitely where it all began. I wouldn't be where I am. I wouldn't have the song country radio, I wouldn't be in my incredible label deal. I wouldn't have any of it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The first time that I ever met Jelly Roll and he took me on tour, I was completely independent. When he took me on his arena tour. That changed a lot of things for me too, and how I got hooked up with my label. And when I first met him, I was sneaking into a party at my label that I wasn't signed to yet, but I knew I wanted to be there at one point, so I was like, oh, you can get me on the guest list. And I'm just kind of walking around in there, and Jelly stopped me, and I was just like, I try to keep to myself when it comes to people, like I don't want to bother anybody, you know, so I just kind of was looking at them like oh my gosh' and he stopped me and said, coffee girl, what are you doing here? And I was like I just kind of stared at him, like how do you know me? That's crazy. I was just thinking myself like don't embarrass yourself. And he's like, oh my gosh. We love watching you make your coffee and seeing your covers in the morning. And that video with Ian Randy Travis was so cool, and what was you like going on tour with to McGrath and I love that you're independent, and we became friends ever, you know, ever since, and then he ended up taking me on tour I don't know, maybe three years later two years later, and that changed everything. So without the coffee covers, I wouldn't I wouldn't be here. And now I have my own coffee brand. It's called the Coffee Girl, and I own my very own coffee shop. So never did I think we'd come this far.
Speaker 3: Vist.
Speaker 1: Really, we love watching you make a coffee. It's like the best asmr ever. Right, It's like, I mean, I'm like, I can't I can't look that cool making a coffee.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'm like I wish you guys could see the bloopers of them, because sometimes it's like I go to grab for a bottle or something and then like my pitch is all off because I'm like reaching out like this, and then I'm like, dang, it started over pour the syrup that I just put in the glass. Have to redo the thing, And I just I think it's so funny. I just giggle to myself. I'm like, this is such a weird thing that has changed my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but did you start doing that hoping it will lead you where you are today?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: I actually am really interested in social media and just like the analytics side of it all, and I really thank goodness because I know not all artists are like this, but I do truly enjoy it, so it's not hard for me to get up and make contents like I really like to do it. So back in twenty sixteen, I believe I had my first viral video on Facebook, I saying joe Leane by Dolly Partner. It got eighty million views on Facebook waves book, a very weird thing back then.
Speaker 2: By the way, I love that it's Facebook.
Speaker 1: People sleep on Facebook, and it's like, no, no, it's a great app.
Speaker 4: Oh I could go on for days, me too, I could go on, We'll have a pe.
Speaker 2: People are nicer on Facebook.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes talked about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh you know. I can't win the internet always exactly.
Speaker 4: There's me and people everywhere. I always say that you're not reaching enough people if all of your comments are nice, true, that's literally all it is. Like as soon as the haters start coming in, I'm like calling my social media mudaa, like we're popping off.
Speaker 2: Blood's go put on.
Speaker 4: But I had eighty million on Joel and that video ended up opening a lot of doors from me at casting a Netflix original series called west Side because of that video, and then I signed my second record deal, and when that ended and I went back home, I was like, I felt so broken and just so discouraged. I had lost two record deals at this point, and I was like, what am I gonna do? What is the one thing I know? I know how to make videos and just sing online and it's worked in the past, So let's figure out this new app called TikTok and I get on there and I see that it's trending to make coffee and to share your coffee recipe. That was a trending thing. And I said, okay, we'll just take what's trending and sing over the top of it.
Speaker 3: And it went off and look at you.
Speaker 2: Two albums later, Yeah, three tours in the last year.
Speaker 4: Within two years time, I think we did eight tours.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, like, look at everything you're doing. Thank you and in many ways you took the power back yourself and got here because of your own doing, which is I think very inspiring for so many people watching. It's like there isn't a hard stop because someone says there.
Speaker 4: Is exactly and that's the story. That's what I tell everybody all the time. I'm like, I was devastated when I lost my first deal, and I was like, this is the end. Then I did it again, and when I lost my second deal, I was like, mom, what am I going to do? Yeah, like help me find a new career path. I wasn't even I wasn't even at the starting point yet. It's what's crazy is I thought it was over and it had not even begun. And so so yeah, I love talking to new artists and up and coming artists and independent artists and giving them a lot of insight on just what they can do themselves before they make that big jump to a label. I was so grateful to have built a really great platform and career on socials. We already had been touring for so long before I signed with BMG, so they gave me an incredible deal and it's gone really well.
Speaker 1: All right, let's have like a little manifesting moment right here. Who would be a dream collab that would surprise us? Not someone we might be like, oh yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 4: A stream colasity that would surprise you, like Justin bieber Ooh for sure. I love his voice. I think he's such a great singer and so and I mean I haven't heard him do it has he hasn't done anything country, has he?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, but I think it would be a great crossover, so manifesting that.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: If anyone can do it, it's you. It's very clear from this conversation. I mean, come on here, we can.
Speaker 4: Do any gen Rosbiber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I could see that for sure. Well, my god, I could talk to you for like four more hours. But to wrap this up, Alexandra, I have a show with iHeart. It's called I've Never Said This Before? And I bring people on and we talk about things that they can't really say in a two minute red carpet interview or a four minute sit down session, you know. And I was leaving those feeling a little uninspired because I'm like, I want to have real connection with people, and that's why I began my show with iHeart, And I wrap up every interview with the question, which is, what is one thing you've never said before? And I know that's so hard because with your songwriting and your album and second, when you say so much, but it basically means is there anything you don't always get a chance to talk about or say or something that means something to you that you're like, you know what, I want to leave you with this today.
Speaker 2: You know something that.
Speaker 4: I've never said before in an interview that I think is important for anyone to hear is that I don't always like doing this. I don't always like the career path I chose. And I think that no matter what career path you choose, you're not always going to like it. It's everybody looks at it and they're going to go. But if I'm living my dream, I'm going to wake up every single day and it's not going to feel like work. That's not true. You are going to wake up some days and it is going to feel like work, and you are going to get on that plane two hours later if you just got off of another plane and you haven't slept in three days, and you are those days probably not gonna like what you're doing. And that's okay. And I think that I'm missus. I miss positivity right like. And I think that that's something that I've never said, but it's also something that is very human and that I think people need to talk more about. And you're a superhero if you learn to work through that feeling in that day. Just keep going.
Speaker 2: I love that. And a bad day doesn't mean you're ungrateful.
Speaker 4: It's a bad day, not a bad life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ooh oh, you know what I'm seeing like a coffee table book coming your way.
Speaker 2: You have the coffee. Where's the book with inspirational quotes?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: I think that's actually good, Beth. Let's do that.
Speaker 2: I'll take my ten percent. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, just when I have my coffee podcast.
Speaker 2: When you come on my phone anytime, anytime.
Speaker 1: I adore you. You are so much fun. Alexandra K thank you for hanging out. Everybody. Go stream her album Second Wind at iHeart Country right now. It is so good, I promise you. I even jammed to it in the gym. I love it so much, So thank you for hanging out.
Speaker 2: Until next time.
Speaker 1: I've Never Said This is hosted by Me Tommy Dedario. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've Never Said This Before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast Network on iHeart Podcasts. For more, rate review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends until next time.
Speaker 2: I'm Tommy de Dario