Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it.
Speaker 3: We made it to a Friday. It's a meat Friday at that white bean chicken chili and Jamaican beef patties. Who has it better than we do? Nobody's going to be a spicy Friday in more ways than one. We got a busy show. Our good buddy, Clay Matthews. He'll join us a little bit later on. Booker McFarlane stops by, and the head coach of the National Champs, Ryan Day from Ohio State, will stop by. There's something brewing in Tampa and Jacksonville. It's not good for Tampa, and I hope it's good for Jacksonville. Have that story for you coming up as well. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. First down, we're brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life with affordable pink chomps like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Uh oh bet or get Mako play the day poll question stat of the Day. All of that forthcoming good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner and radio affiliates around the country over four hundred who allow us to entertain you, at least try to entertain you.
Speaker 2: Monday through Friday.
Speaker 3: Odds to win the Super Bowl according to DraftKings this morning Eagles, then it's the Chiefs, then it's the Bills, and then it's the Commanders. You're going to get wishful predictions. I talk about wishful reporting. Sometimes we want something to happen because it makes our job easier. There's wishful predictions. I think you're going to find a lot of people who think the Commanders and the Bills are going to win this weekend. Now, I don't know if they really think they're going to win. They're hoping they win because we can be chiefed out. You're going to be eagled out too. But with Buffalo, you're like, all right, they finally did it. That was a nice reaction from.
Speaker 2: You, Marvin. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I was into it.
Speaker 2: You left your microphone on.
Speaker 4: Oh did you hit it?
Speaker 2: I liked its like.
Speaker 3: Church yeah, yeah, Jesus.
Speaker 4: Yes, going to the Catholic Church. It is a culture shock with you.
Speaker 2: We don't do that with your spirit. Yeah, we don't do the no at all.
Speaker 4: There's no amen, no hallelujah, no praise be to Jesus. So nothing, Okay, just sit here.
Speaker 5: Yes, wait, are you guys having a good time? And now you can shake hands?
Speaker 2: Here's the money basket. Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, not a lot of joy I remember growing up and I said to my mom, like.
Speaker 2: Are we supposed to have fun? And she goes, no, we're in church.
Speaker 3: I go, well, but isn't a joyous isn't abration?
Speaker 2: She goes, no, you're in church. Like her answer was no, you're in church. I'm like okay.
Speaker 3: I then went to a church with a friend of mine. This is years ago, and they they had a great time. They had music, they you know, the guitar mass you know, they had they've had drums.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, I could get into this.
Speaker 4: Yes, ma, yes, the musicians are professional, like legit. They get paid to play at church and it is serious. So the church that we went to with my wife, it was forty five minutes. Praise in worship where you just sing was an hour and ten minutes.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: I mean they were killing it too. That bas paid that bass player was on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went to a Mass one time or no, it was just a I guess it's not mass, it's just the service service, okay. And my wife said, hey, it's new Age. Are you open minded? I said yeah, anything that adds a little joy to this. I'd sit there and I'd be like, I'm gonna get yelled at. When I was a kid, went to church every single morning. When I was at school, every morning we went to church, had to get all dressed up. I remember just sitting there and then you go into the confessional like everything is damn. I'm in trouble already. I was born with a sin, Like how did this happen?
Speaker 2: Mom? What did I do? You're in church? I'd be like, all right, I'm in church.
Speaker 3: So we go to this service and it is raucous, it is wild, and you know, even the sermon was great, like was it was entertaining, It had energy to it, and I'm like, can't we sprinkle a little bit of that in to a Catholic Mass? Just give me a little bit? And then I remember when they broke out the guitars at my church, Shreadfast Saint Susanna had folk music. You know, I was waiting for Joan Biez and Bob Dylan to come in. He answer, my friend, oh that was a big deal. It's like we got a guitar. Yeah, we're having fun, yes, Arvon.
Speaker 4: The only awkward part is when they try to get a little life in there. They clap on the one in the three started the two in the four, and it's like no, no, no, no, no no, don't stop clapping like that. My wife starts. I was like, you stop too.
Speaker 3: Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show operator.
Speaker 2: Awesome breakdown right there, Tyler sitting by Eagles.
Speaker 5: Eagles, I'll get it back to football.
Speaker 2: But in the same.
Speaker 5: Run the bold home mighty.
Speaker 2: Dang yes, Mark what they so?
Speaker 4: When I was a kid, the church I went to during football season, they started service an hour earlier so the pastor could get home and watched the giant.
Speaker 2: Respect like that.
Speaker 4: Church would be over every single Sunday during the season at twelve thirty so he can get home and watch his giant.
Speaker 2: Why are we always late to church? Though?
Speaker 3: I never understood that. Always my family was always late to church, and we live about I don't know, three minutes away from the church, but somehow we would be late, or you get the people come in and they're they get it right, you know, for the homily, or they leave right after communion because those people have mastered it communion. You're walking back, walking back, not gonna go into.
Speaker 2: The pew sea. Yeah, but those are the people that also everybody noticed that, oh John left you.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's something that like my grandmother would have been all over that Sunday before dinner. I would have already gotten the call from my mom. Hey, my mom saw you leave church after communion.
Speaker 2: But yes, ud it seems it's like the box.
Speaker 6: If you're showing up late regularly and or leaving early, you want to do just enough so you don't.
Speaker 4: Go to hell.
Speaker 2: I technically was here. What if the minimum I.
Speaker 6: Can do to show my face and still be in good you know, good graces?
Speaker 2: Yeah Lord, yeah, yeah, you walk out right after communion.
Speaker 3: Plus when you have to turn around and you have to shake everybody's hand, like how far do you go down the road where you're going to shake everybody's hand? Like I like to just kind of acknowledge, like a yeah, but you know, my wife is a oh oh, yes, peace.
Speaker 2: Be with Yes, yes you do the peace be with you? Head nod. Yes, that's big. Yeah, I did dap. I did dap. The other day.
Speaker 3: My wife goes, you should shake his hand. I go, nah, I don't think so on just a little dap. Yeah, yes, I wish you piece, but yeah, not so much. He I'll shake your hand, Yeah, I'll light them out. Yeah, just a little dap.
Speaker 6: We've got to work in one of those complicated athlete handshakes that they do just to say, how hip there?
Speaker 2: All right? Poll question? What do we have today's seaton?
Speaker 5: Let's see, we got one here from I can't believe blank had become likable, Notre Dame commander's other.
Speaker 3: Okay, well commanders. I don't think we disliked the commanders, and we didn't care about them. They didn't care about him. You only cared about the owner. So you disliked an owner. You didn't care like they weren't on the radar to actually dislike.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Point, but the Daniel Snyder stink was all over that franchise the past two decades, and you felt bad for like Ron Rivera and the different quarterbacks, and it made you almost like you said, they're off the radar, but generally dislikable.
Speaker 2: It's so much so because of their owner.
Speaker 3: Well, nobody disliked the commanders because they didn't threaten you, they didn't bother you, like go Lee. They got to live with that guy. You know, if your owner is not a good guy in their winning, then that's different. But I look at the Commanders is like they didn't they didn't factor into my life. It was like, oh yeah, commanders, Okay, those uniforms are.
Speaker 2: Kind of nice. All right, who's their coach?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay, yes see.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel like there are some teams that you are, like you being people actively dislike.
Speaker 2: For sure. I know I have teams that I absolutely do not like.
Speaker 5: But then there's other teams that you're just sort of apathetic about, like whatever, Like the Raiders. For me, I'm kind of like, oh yeah, all right, let's see if they could figure it out or not. The Browns, all right, let's see if they could figure it out or not. I would put the Commanders in that scene things like, oh what, but now it looks like maybe they did figure it out.
Speaker 3: All right, great, But that's why people have wishful predictions this weekend. I think they're just hopeful that the Chiefs aren't back in the Super Bowl. I don't know if they really believe Buffalo can win. I mean, it's a two point spread, so we wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo won. I think there would still be an element of surprise if that. The Bills be KMP City in KANPS City. The Commanders, I think you're like, man, the Commanders are a good story. And here's something that came to me yesterday, and I hope this isn't a prediction of things to come, but I'm thinking about the Commanders making it all the way to the NFC title Game, and the comparison was the Atlanta Hawks making it to the Eastern Conference Finals to face Philadelphia when they had Treya. And of course, when you like you remember that it's one of those if you look at the Eastern Conference Finals in previous years and you go, oh, man, that's right, the Hawks made the Eastern Conference Finals. The Commanders feel that way, like they're not supposed to be here. At least it feels like they're a year early. And Atlanta was the same way. And then Atlanta disappeared. I hope that that's not the case with the Commanders. It's been a great story with Jaden Daniels, but I think the wishful would be nice to have somebody else in there. Philadelphia and Kansas City, and we've already seen that before, So I think you'll have people who will say, man, I'm rooting for pulling for prediction King Buffalo and Washington to make it into the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Uh so that is that the poll? What other poll questions do we have? Because I don't think people hate the Commanders. I just don't think they like Dan Snyder. The Commanders are a lovable team. I think now or that that underdog feel to him, and we're fascinated by Jaden Daniels. The other thing I thought of with Jaden Daniels, I can't help but go back to RG three when he played there. He made one Pro Bowl his first year. He was incredible and then he got hurt. And if you see Jaden Daniels, he not a big guy. He's fast, but he's not a big guy. There's a bigger target there. He's a tall guy, he's wiry, no density to him, like when he gets hit, you know he's spinning, and that's what concerns me. You know, when you're looking at longevity here, and who would have thought RG three would not have been a Hall of Famer if you saw in that first year he had track speed and he was just different. You're looking at somebody who is the prototype of what the league is going to be.
Speaker 2: And then it didn't last long after that.
Speaker 3: But as RG three is said on the show, their decisions that he could have made that were smarter decisions. Jaden Daniels has to understand that. And then I saw where the defensive coordinator for the Commanders said, Hey, Jalen Hurts runs the ball, We're going to hit him. Yeah, that's what you're supposed to do. I don't think you need to tell everybody that, but the defensive coordinator for the Commander's Joe Witt Junior, said yesterday, we're going to hit him. That's their decision if they want to get him hit. If they don't, then keep him in the pocket. Okay. I don't know if you need to say that. I don't know if that changes anything for the Eagles and Jalen Hurts, it's like, oh my god, wait, they're going to hit me. I'm guessing if you get it. Look, if I'm a defensive coordinator, I'm telling my team, if you get a chance to take a shot, you take a shot, do it within the rules best you can. But if you somehow maybe go into the maybe that wasn't a legitimate hit, that's okay, we'll take the we'll take the penalty. I'll pay the fine. I don't know if Buffalo would say that to their players privately with Patrick Mahomes, but if you get a chance, hit him, yeah.
Speaker 5: They those type of comments do seem to eventually come back into like a bounty gate type scenario. You know, like, yes, it's great, tell your players that and all that stuff, but you don't really say that out loud, necessarily, not to go too extreme with it or anything. But they it's comments like that that eventually get twisted into something that they're not supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yes, if Buddy Ryan was still coaching, then we might go there's a bounty here, but there's no reason. There's no reason to say it. If you say it to your players, great, but saying it to the media that means you're basically going into the Eagles locker room and saying to Jalen Hurts, Hey, if you run, we're hitting you. By the way, Washington's defense against the Eagles gave up seven hundred and seventy two yards and fifty nine points in the two games between those two So that's what I would be a little more concerned about than just making sure I hit Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul Washingt's playing the long game. They lulled them into a false sense of.
Speaker 2: Security of those two games. Mmm, they did a really good job. It is a really good job.
Speaker 6: Yes, unless they're employing reverse psychology making that comment publicly. How to even in your subconscious mind an official not have that in the back of the mind and anything close were like, well, they did say they were going to kind of go after them a little bit or treat them like a running back, and you're like, not intentionally just putting that in the ref's ear that like, we're going to be extra close watch how they're gonna hit him.
Speaker 3: It happens so fast on the field that I don't think it official is in the moment in a split second going hey they're dirty. Hey, that's I mean, it all kind of sorts itself out. I would think if you're hitting somebody in the pocket, then that would be different. Hey, we're gonna hit him. We're gonna hit him right as he throws the ball. That would be something that I would keep an eye on. But as far as Jalen hurts outside the pocket, well, I mean, he is a runner once he's outside the pocket, So I don't I mean, I'm surprised you say it. You don't need to say it, but you might get caught up and you're spirited, you know, you're fiery. We're gonna if he runs, we're gonna hit him like okay and get his football. I hope you do. But do we have that sound? Can we get that? Marvin?
Speaker 8: We've had a number of these guys that they are that we've had to prepare for. And so the one thing is as if he's going to run the ball, and if the coordinator makes a decision for him to run the ball, we're gonna treat him like a running back and we're going to hit him that way, you know. So that's that's their decision. If they want to get him hit the way that that he gets hit. If they don't, they'll keep me in the pocket. So that's that's what we're going to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, coordinators don't talk to the media like, how did this happen?
Speaker 2: Where all of a sudden he's given the game plan? Here we dare you it hurts to run?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Watch what happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, giving his knee concerns, I don't know how much he's going to run. But if you're Washington, keep him in the pocket. Make him a thrower. That's no surprise. All right, we'll take a break, just getting started on the program. By the way, decent weather for both of these games coming up this weekend. The Jags get a coach. I think we'll have that for you coming up. Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox sports rate dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich?
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five.
Speaker 2: To seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 9: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media, that's Veno and Rich.
Speaker 3: Case you're wondering why Notre Dame wouldn't join a conference, how about we look at the payouts from the college football playoffs. The Big Ten made forty six million dollars with the six wins that their teams had. The SEC twenty six million dollars, but their two wins, then Notre Dame made twenty million dollars off their wins. The Big twelve had eight million, you had, the ACC had eight million, and the Mountain West had eight million.
Speaker 2: That's your payout.
Speaker 3: So until we get into that super conference, Notre Dame is going to stay independent. And if you're going to expand this from twelve to fourteen, it just means Notre Dame is going to make it. You may not want to give them a home game, and you know the committee, there's going to be a lot of things discussed here over the next two months and then what is put into play with the new TV deal. But that's the payout. The Big ten had to share forty six million. How many teams are in the Big Ten?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Did each school make like two million dollars or three million dollars from this?
Speaker 2: Maybe? What do we have eighteen teams in the Big Ten? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think Ohio State gets a double share because they earned it for the title game, but everyone else splits it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ryan Day will join us in the final lave of the program.
Speaker 3: SEC they're sharing their twenty six million with how many teams are in the SEC?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: They got like sixteen? So hey got a million million and a half dollars. Yeah, things will change though, all right. Uh Buddha in San Francisco. Hi Buddha, what's on your mind? No money?
Speaker 10: Happy to me? Friday boys, Uh DP, you're straight preaching this morning. My passion bucket was full after that opening segment. By the way, Dan, little lou Holtz there on your desk, you got to straighten them up a little bit before. Ryan Dacobs on the show. He's had a little gangster lean to your left for quite some time. I'm surprised you haven't trained him up yet. But anyways, I digress in. I am praying for the Lord to deliver us from the chief this weekend, and in the great words of our friend and Charles Barkley, Guyaudy, the Bills will win on Sundays. Let's go for see.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Buddha, have a good weekend.
Speaker 3: Buccaneers offensive coordinator Liam Cohen told the team Thursday that he was leaving to become the Jags head coach. Is according to a source telling ESPN, two sides have verbally agreed on a contract, so this was a wild forty eight hours, Liam Cohen all of a sudden became Ben Johnson. He pulled himself out of consideration for the Jags job. He agreed to a contract extension with the Buccaneers that would have made him the NFL highest paid coordinator. That he changed his mind after Jacksonville reached out to him, and then I think he reconsidered after Jacksonville fired general manager Trent Balky. So then they were looking for Liam Cohen yesterday all day, Tampa Bay is looking for their offensive.
Speaker 2: Coordinator, and he ghosted them.
Speaker 3: And then I think he got in touch with head coach Raheem Morrison said he had been with his son, had to take his son to the doctor, and then word came that maybe unless the doctor is in Jacksonville and he was taking his son there. He was with Jacksonville agreeing to a new contract to become the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. So I'm thinking I heard the name Liam Cohen during a Buccaneers broadcast. I didn't think much of it. He's kind of traveled around a little bit. He was, I think with the Rams. I think he was with Kentucky Football and done a great job with Baker Mayfield. But all of a sudden, and Liam Cohen sounds like he's you know, twenty four years of age. He's almost forty, almost forty. I'm a man, and he's now jack Well, they've agreed to a deal. I don't know if he signed it, but he's agreed to a deal. Rick Stroud, who covers the Buccaneers for Tampa Bay Times, he will join us coming up at top the next hour.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: Diane ever seen you at the Athletic reported that he was back in Tampa going to be the assistant offensive coordinator again and get the big deal. Then they put him on a plane back to Jacksonville, not drive a plane. They let him pick the general manager, according to Diana, and offered him Ben Johnson level money for multiple years.
Speaker 2: Dang, Yes, Todd, But did.
Speaker 6: Liam give Tampa Bay a doctor's note at least, because sometimes just like in school, you give the doctor's note.
Speaker 2: That it's okay, I don't know, we can ask.
Speaker 6: We're absolved from all the problems if you get Yeah.
Speaker 2: But they so they were.
Speaker 3: They said, hey, we need you to come in and sign your contract in Tampa.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: And I think that was Wednesday, and then all of a sudden Thursday, they're reaching out and going, hey, come on, we need you to come in now. I'm paraphrasing this from some of the reporting there, but you can't get in touch with him, and then you realize he's taking the Jacksonville John that he calls up Raheem Morse at five o'clock on Thursday, and they've been trying to get in touch with him.
Speaker 2: I guess the entire day. Yes, boy.
Speaker 7: Ashley Cohen, the wife of Liam Cohen, actually posted on social media an hour ago, an hour ago quote, I hate that I have to say this, but people are negative about my kids. I will not be silent. Our son is sick. We were at the hospital yesterday seeking a specialist for his autoimmune disease. Please don't spread information misinformation. That was just an hour ago.
Speaker 2: She posted it.
Speaker 5: Okay, sounds like she's unknown it too.
Speaker 2: Supportive wife, supportive.
Speaker 3: Wife, Okay, but I'd still like to know how did you get to Jacksonville. There had to be some preparations that, yes, I hope your son is better, and uh, you know, a good bright outlook here and maybe he was there, but Tampa. You didn't tell Tampa you're going to Jacksonville. So both things can be true that, Hey, your son was at the hospital and you ghosted Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: Yes, Todd's that's the problem.
Speaker 6: If you care, a quick little note, a little emoji, something, just to let them know that you're acknowledging that they're looking for you and you just can't be there just yet. I don't know why that's too much, unless it's such an emergency situation where you can't take a couple of seconds to say, let me get back to you. I'm dealing with my kids illness.
Speaker 5: Win now, yes, well, I mean okay, yes, he air quotes disappeared right from Tampa to Jacksonville. It's not like it was Miami to Seattle. They're three hours apart from each other. It's not like he you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he didn't tell them that he was going there.
Speaker 3: Why does he need to Well, because they were waiting for him to sign a contract. They had just made him the highest paid coordinator in the NFL. He came back and he said, hey, are you gonna take care of me? We will come in and sign your deal. You have to at least say, hey, I'll be there late. Hey I got something I'm dealing with. It's really important. I'll be there.
Speaker 2: But you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't you leave them hanging like that that you're like, eh, I'm oh, forgot to tell you.
Speaker 2: Hey, I forgot I was in Jacksonville. Like, you can't do that to him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pauline, I think I disagree on this one because the Jaguars are pursuing him for a much higher level job that pays much more. I would have gotten on that plane and see what you could do with Jacksonville and talk to them. I think they'd be dangerous for your career to call Tampa your bosses and say I'm about to get on a plane to look at another job. You may be in no man's land.
Speaker 2: Then you've already spoken to them.
Speaker 3: You spoke to them and came back to get a better offer from Tampa, so that already happened. This isn't like they didn't know you were talking to Jacksonville. You told them that you were going to sign this contract and then you end up going to Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: I get it, Tampa.
Speaker 3: If you said to Tampa, hey, Jacksonville just fired their GM, I have to talk to them about this head coaching. They're not going to pass on a guy who is this good to that organization. If you're going to spend that kind of money on him, then you really believe in him, and you believe in him as maybe your next head coach in Tampa at some point. So I don't think I think you could have just said to him, hey, to check this out. You know, my goal is to be a head coach. I have this opportunity. Maybe it won't work out. I'm sorry, I'm leaving you hanging here, but this doesn't look good. I mean, he's gonna get the job. We might, you know, look back on this, or you know, if Jacksonville plays Tampa, you know, you know, he won't get a hero's welcome.
Speaker 2: It's just messy. It's just messy.
Speaker 3: And most of these owners they know, if you get the job or a chance to be a head coach, we won't stand in your way. And they were offering him great money to be a coordinator. Now Jacksonville offered him money that's similar to what Ben Johnson got in Chicago. So he played both sides. Maybe he did it brilliantly. It's just messy. The Cowboys situation isn't firm yet. Brian Schottenheimer looks like they're going to elevate him. I guess if I'm going to use a word, i'd say pending. Then there was the are they going to reach out to other candidates here Pete Carroll? There was a report that they called Pete Carroll. I don't know if you have Pete Carroll be part of the staff, which would be weird because is Pete a consultant and advisor head coach?
Speaker 2: Ish? But it's the Cowboys. And here's the other thing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when you go, gosh, we got our guy, like Chicago got a guy that a few teams wanted. If nobody wants the guy that you're hiring, that might be a telltale sign of did we get the right guy? Did we get the right guy for Jerry to still be able to be the coach of this team? And maybe it works out it just if I'm a Cowboys fan, I feel like, what do we do?
Speaker 2: What are we doing? We've been down this road before.
Speaker 3: You got the Commanders and the Eagles in the NFC title game?
Speaker 2: What are we doing? And that was the feeling I got.
Speaker 3: I thought, and I don't see Pete Carroll taking a job like that, Like I didn't see Dion taking a job like that, and Jerry should realize there are coordinators or former coaches who don't want to go into that situation, and it's weird. I don't know if Mike McCarthy said, I don't want to come back for one more year, it's still the Cowboys, and maybe he's got a job waiting with the Sins. Maybe I thought maybe the Bears would work out for him, because if Ryan or Ben Johnson went to the Raiders, then maybe he would have gotten the Bear's job. But you walk away from the Cowboys and Jerry would have given you one more year. But Mike didn't want to be dangled like that and he shouldn't be. But because of that, you don't fire Mike when you probably should have. If you're moving on from him or kind of moving on, then move on from him. It's like, if you're thinking of retiring, then retire. That's what I always tell an athlete. If you're thinking of retiring, then retire. But they miss out on interviewing Ben Johnson, they didn't interview Mike Vrabel. So here you are Dion wasn't an interview. That's a conversation. Somebody made it public. That and maybe both did it helped Dion, and then Jerry stays in the news cycle for an entire week. Hey, they're considering Dion. Brian Schottenheimer is a football lifer. He's bounced around his father, you know, Marty Schottenheimer, and maybe it works out, but it feels like a Jerry jones Hire that nobody else would make that higher. It's like when Barry Switzer came in, there is nobody who go, man, we want to get Barry Switzer. Dave Campo, I mean you can run to Chan Gaily. I mean, Bill Parcells was a big get and then Parcells goes. I don't know if I want to stay in this. So you you have occasionally a bigger personality. You know, Jason Garrett loved Jason, but he was ideal for Jerry. It's like he had his other son there coaching and he was there to help him constantly. These coaches, it just feels that way, and it's unfortunate because Cowboy fans deserve better than that. I mean, do I want the Cowboys to win, No, but you've suffered for thirty years. You were insufferable before that. Now I feel bad for you because you're stuck. You're in, You're in the colts, you can't get out, and that cult leader keeps doing the same stuff, same stuff. Oh my goodness, it's it's football ayahuasca, Like, uh, we're gonna we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Get it's gonna be better, it's gonna be different. And then it's not. It's the same.
Speaker 3: You go into that TP and you come out and you go, uh oh no, same thing, yeah.
Speaker 5: Se, So is the problem here really just that he said, well, I'm taking my name out of the running and then threw his name right back in. That's really the whole problem with Cohen, right. He said that he wasn't gonna go after the job anymore. He interviewed and he was just like, all right, I'm not I'm not gonna take that job. They came to some kind of verbal agreement for a new payment with the Bucks and then he's like, well, maybe I will go back to the Jaguars.
Speaker 3: Well, they fired Trent Balkey, and I think that's why he wasn't taking the job. I think they wanted him to take the job, and then I don't think he you know a lot of these candidates they didn't want to go in there with Trent Baulkey.
Speaker 5: Firing the GM is what changed his mind for the second interview.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I think they wanted him to be the coach. I don't think he wanted to work with Trent Bulky. That's why he went back to Tampa. They gave him a contract extension. Then all of a sudden, you know, Jacksonville's like, we're gonna lose him. All right, We're gonna fire Trent Pulkey.
Speaker 5: Trent Falkey must make a real impression, even dudes who've never coached, and he like, oh that guy. I'd rather stay the coordinator over here down the road. No thanks, all right, we'll take a break.
Speaker 2: Dang uh. We got Play of the Day up next after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Of the day. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 3: One point seven seconds left for Denver inboundy Yoki's from seventy eight feet.
Speaker 9: Got it at or Oh my god, from seventy eight feet Choker baseball pass throws that big home.
Speaker 3: He said he knew it was going in. That's courtesy of Altitude Radio Network. That's your play of the day. Play of the day brought to you by the great folks at Express Employment Professionals. Speed up your hiring process, reduce time to hire, cut costs, and find the right talent for contract in full time roles. Visit expresspros dot com today and transform transform your hiring process. Whenever somebody's name is mentioned statistically with Wilt Chamberlain, I take note because we kind of dismiss Wilt's numbers. We're like, yeah, but that was before the NBA became the NBA. Hey average fifty points a game? Yeah, was he playing against Okay? I understand that Nikola jokicch had his name mentioned with Wil Chamberlain last night. He had a thirty five twenty two seventeen night. The last time that happened in the NBA was Wilt Chamberlain in nineteen sixty eight. Will also did it in nineteen sixty eight. Another time, Oscar Robertson did it twice in nineteen sixty two.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: Whoa now stead of a day Stanta day, stead of a day Stantata day.
Speaker 2: This is the Stele of the.
Speaker 3: Day four games this season with at least twenty twenty and ten, the only player to have one game this season like that. But it's become commonplace for him, and he's doing triple doubles in three quarters, so he averages a triple double and he gets his average in some of these games by the end of the third quarter. I don't think he's going to win the MVP this year because I do think that the voters will lean towards Shay Gilgis Alexander. Oklahoma City is a better team, better record. But what Joker's doing, he's still the best player in basketball. Now that doesn't mean you're always the MVP, but he's still the best player in basketball. And it's strange to watch somebody play a game. He plays old man basketball and he's twenty nine. He doesn't speed up like he'll play this way until he dies. You know, he could be sixty out there. He's not slowing down. He's already slowed down. Oh he's not gonna be able to jump that high. He can't jump that high. It's we've all played on the playground and there's that guy that you know, cut off shorts and he's got beat up con On and he's the guy who probably played in the Ivy League for Cornell, and the guy's torching everybody, and you're going, you gotta be kidding me, you gotta be kidding. This guy's got black socks on, and like, what are we doing? This guy's dominating. That's Joker. Joker plays at a pace that's different. We think, you know a you know, athletically, it's speed, gotta be fast, gotta it's not. It's when you need to speed up, when you slow down. And there's so many players that have been able to do like Paul Pierce. I never understood the greatness of Paul Piers, not that he wasn't great. I just never understood how Paul Pierce could do what he wanted to do to Lebron James. And if you look at them athletically, it's not even close. But Paul understood how to get to certain places use his body, angles Kawhi Leonard, he can have the game. He can dictate the pace of a game when he was healthy. Luca does this the pace of the game, and Joker does this as well. And it's remarkable when your name is mentioned with Wilt, when it comes to offensive statistics, you get my attention, and that's pretty impressive. Go thirty five, twenty two, and seventeen. I don't know if he was sweating either. I don't know if he broke a sweat, but it just feels like a yeah, that's my job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pauling, he's.
Speaker 7: Up to thirty points a game, thirteen and a half rebounds, ten assists. Here's a stat for you. He's never been a volume three point shooter. This year he's up to shooting over four threes per game. Guess who is currently the league leader in players who take four or more three point shots per game three point percentage.
Speaker 3: Jokis well, Joker's shooting I think forty eight or forty nine percent from three point right is at.
Speaker 7: Forty eight percent. He's never been above thirty eight percent in his entire career. And it's not a small sample size. Yeah, that's what's amazing.
Speaker 3: And you look at that shot and it's almost as if you're or you have a folding ladder and then you open the ladder up. That's how it takes him that long to get that shot all the way up and all the way back. But it's a really pure shot follow through, but forty eight percent, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, Mark, you.
Speaker 4: Hit it on the head. Yesterday you were talking about the MVP's kind of like the Academy Awards. This is gonna be his Godfather, Like he didn't win for the Godfather, but he won for Scent of a Woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I agree because I think that there was a real push for embiid to win the MVP. I think the voters, some voters went out of their way to really make this a campaign against Joker. Now, embiide had great numbers. I think the campaign has already started with SGA and his team is really good and he just put up fifty four and he's the favorite right now to win the MVP.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Pony, I think you've brought this up before, back like ten years ago with Lebron, when you're considered the best player on Earth and there's not really a discuss, but you're not in the MVP vote. It's you've entered another category of being taken for granted mahomes the past two or three years. It's the ultimate category.
Speaker 3: By the way, we have the most must win game of the weekend. We'll have that for you coming up we'll try to sort through the mess that is Jacksonville and Tampa Bay with their new head coach. That'll be coming up. Mike in Texas. Hi, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey Dave? I heard I'm not sorry, not Dave there. I heard you talking to Dave a couple of weeks ago, who retired after forty years, and y'all have some history together, and I guess y'all started off together. And you know, I was listening to Dave and all of his messages, hair sing you get me really choked up in the thing. You think, did it change her feeling about retirement more excited or more apprehensive?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I'm fine with my decision. But I had to make a decision. I don't want to hold on. I want it to be great. I want the show to be great when it's done, and not to compare ourselves to Seinfeld. But you know Jerry talked about that he wanted the show to be great. You don't want to just hang on. He passed on a lot of money to do another year, and I want to be great when we're done with this. I don't want it to be Yeah, it's about the time, so No, I'm fine. I'm fine, no problems, no issues. Fritzy's always like you're going to reconsider. Have you thought about reconsidering?
Speaker 10: You?
Speaker 4: Guys hold that hope.
Speaker 2: Them Cohen, It's true, it's true. All right. One hour of the books on this Meat Friday. Two more to go Dan Patrick's show,