Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garland. Hi, everyone, welcome to I Choose Me. This podcast is all about the choices we make, and you know what, three times a day, sometimes more, we make choices about what food we are going to put in our mouths or to feed our families. My hilarious guest has made a career of sharing his favorites and encouraging us all to just try it. Phil Rosenthal, the creative mind behind the hit sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond, spent years searching for his next great scripted TV idea until he decided to pivot. The result is Somebody Feed Phil, one of Netflix's longest running hits, serving up food, travel, and connection. Beloved by fans around the globe. It's now dishing out it's eighth season. He's also writing books, opening a diner in Los Angeles, and doing all he can to bring people together through food. What a treat to talk to Phil Rosenthal. Hi there, Okay, So your work has led to so many Emmy nominations and awards, and that doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon because you have built this whole new era in your career, which I am just so in awe of I love this. It's like a pivot for you, and it revolves around food, travel and connection. And I'm just curious what made you choose to take this path because it seems like just so I don't know, it seems like a brave new world for you.
Speaker 2: Well, you're in the business. You know that when you switch lanes. M hmm. Not everyone's receptives to that because they don't know you can do anything but what they've seen you do. I understand it, yes, But I also think that the people were in charge of making the decisions about the creative people. They should trust the creative people a little bit, you think, yeah, But after Raymond was over, the business had changed greatly. They didn't want those types of shows anymore. So I kept striking out because I can only write with the sensibility that I have, and everybody wanted friends at that time. They wanted hipp and Edgy, and they kept telling me just we like you, but just be more hip and Edgy. I said, well you got the right guy, I mister hipp and Edgi. And so I just kept beating my head against the wall trying to get another show on I thought that was my purpose in life, was to do that. And after a while I got very discouraged and I put my head down and I thought, what if you could do whatever you want. Money's not the issue, right It never was for me, even before Raymond, I didn't care much about it. As soon as I could feed myself. I never did anything for money. And then I thought, well, I have this idea for this food and travel show. And they looked at me like I was crazy, especially because I said I think I can host this thing, and they said you you're behind the camera, and I said, I know, but I think I can do this, and and it took me, Jenny, ten years to get the show after the success of Raymond.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm so discouraged right now because if it takes you ten years to get a show going, well, different way.
Speaker 2: You know. If you suddenly said you know what I want to do is I want to I want to be a scuba diver on the on the World Scuba Team, they would say, what, right, we know you as this, we don't know you as that, So you have to convince the people. But I did sell the show finally to PBS was the first stop that took the show, and I sold it with one line. This is the line, I'm exactly like Anthony Bourdain if he was afraid of everything. Oh that's good, and they bought it. They bought six and that show was called I'll Have What Phil's Having And you can see those first episodes there on YouTube net. And then they couldn't afford to do the show anymore. And then thank god, this new startup, little startup called netflicks came along and they liked the show, and so we changed the name and that somebody feed Phil And we are in our eighth season where the longest running unscripted original series in their history.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, congratulations, thanks. That must feel so good. It feels like, in a way, this path does Journey sort of chose you, even though you worked really hard at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this proof, I don't want you to choke on that ten thing because when you see the Oscars, everybody wins. The thing goes ten years it took to make this movie, right, that just won the It's always. But the lesson is, if you make something a priority in your life, and it really is a priority in your life, you won't stop until you do it. If you stop, that means I guess it wasn't that priority.
Speaker 1: I love it. It's just that's persistence and tenacity, all the things.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know you have to Does it mean I was happy, go lucky all the time, knowing that it would eventually work out. No, I was completely miserable many moments. I still get depressed and angry. All you have to do is watch the news. But I just am. I. I have optimism, and I think that things will work out. I believe in people. I believe that most people in the world are nice. And I feel very, very grateful for everything else that's happened in my life, especially my family and my friends.
Speaker 1: That just comes through so loud and clear. Just looking at your face and watching your shows, watching all your work. But that is just at the forefront. Thanks, And it's that gratitude. I feel like once you tap into that, just gratitude for everything that you have. Yes, everything works out.
Speaker 2: You know, you wake up in the morning and you should be grateful you woke up right at this age. Step one, Yeah, two, I look, Oh, there's my wife of thirty five years. Wow, there's my dog at the foot of the bed. There my kids, live. They're grown now they live. One lives over here one minute this way, one lives five minutes that way. And they're married. They're getting married. And I'm the luckiest guy in the world. And look what I get to do.
Speaker 1: Look what you get to do?
Speaker 2: Oh love? But if you say was worth ten years of your life to get it? Yes, looking at it talking to Jenny.
Speaker 1: It was a flash now right, Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's where you end up.
Speaker 1: It's where you Why do you think connecting and community are so important?
Speaker 2: Why are we here? All we do is as human beings on the planets, tried to connect with other human beings. That's all we do in every way. That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Otherwise why, I mean, what else is there? So for me, food happens to be the great connector. For me, the food is the great connector are you saying food is the great connector? And then laughs are the cement? So if you and I we don't know each other, but we let's go have lunch right So right away the food comes, we're already happy. We're gonna eat, so we all know how to do. I don't care if you're living Swahili, you gotta eat here. Comes food. This might be the best part of your day. It might be you know, in addition to we have to live. We like it. So if the food comes in so and let's say it's delicious, ohh, now we're really happy. And if we share a smile or a laugh, now we're friends and we'll eat again.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have a rule about food, right, you say, just try it? Yes, that is I mean, that's a great life philosophy, not even just about food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd with my daughter.
Speaker 1: That's right. It's such a valuable lesson that you even wrote a book about it.
Speaker 2: Well it just try it, of course, is the what's the underlying thing of just try it? Have an open mind? So how many grown ups do we know that that won't consider new ideas, that all stuck in their same ideas and won't listen. So just try It applies to all of us, doesn't it. And I'm guilty of it of course. Yeah. Sometimes how we were brought up, Why would I do something different? I've done it. Look, I'm still alive. I did it this way my whole lifet this about this, and I'm fine. I don't need to change at all. But if what if we just tried a new idea. Yes, food can open up a whole new world. I always say, if you can open a mouth, you can open a mind.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Nice. You're literally taking in the culture of other people already unusual to you. Oh maybe, well, maybe Japanese food is not so bad. Maybe Japanese people are not so bad. Maybe Japan is not so bad. Maybe the way they do things I could learn something from.
Speaker 1: I mean, it really opens up the world. There's you know, that saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Yes, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: I think you can.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought you brought that.
Speaker 2: That's a defeatist attitude. You can't, right, what if you can? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or the one you know? This is just how I am. This is me, take it or leave it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, be that way you will always then be that way.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Are you completely happy? I mean deep down? You know stubborn guys they go, I'm happy the way I got. You don't seem happy. I think you could be happier. Listen, not for me, I don't care, you know, Goodbye. I go on to my next person that I like. I'm just saying for you, that's why travel is so great, because yeah, you can't help but have your mind blown. It's the most mind expanding thing we can do in life, is to see something else. That's why I do the show. It's why I think. I think the world would be better if we all could experience a tiny bit of someone else's experience.
Speaker 1: Right, And people at home are wishing they could go on these travels, but sometimes it's just not feasible. So you're taking them. You're taking them even though they're in their living rooms, and that's so meaningful.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks, that's very important. However, I try to also say, I understand not everybody can afford to go overseas, but you can travel in your own town. What do I mean? Let's say we were stuck in COVID. We're stuck at home. We can't go out at all. We got to if we want anything, we got to order it in right, So what if we ordered from a restaurant that we never tried before. Now, are you're traveling the Peruvian place from? Then? I don't know anything about Peruvian. Let's look on the phone. This is all I ask of people. Look on the phone, Just look at the menu. See if there's anything there you could possibly like. But what if I don't like it? Yeah, so what if you don't like it? You're not five, You'll get over it. But what if you do? That's everything? So you look, they have chicken and rice. I like chicken and yes, so you order the chicken rice chicken rice I ever had. This is fantastic. Now COVID is over. Hey, we should go to that place. We go to the place, We see that the decorations, we try different things, We meet the owner. He's fantastic. Next thing, you know, you're not your peacher.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, fast track you. You're so passionate. What is the most meaningful part of your work?
Speaker 2: The connection to people?
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: So I'm just using food and my stupid sense of humor to get you the real message, to get you that that people are worth knowing, no matter where they're from. Yeah, you know, I picked maybe a stupid time to be on because I'm very pro other I'm very pro immigrant, I'm very pro all our differences. Somebody said America's diversity is our super power.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine just looking out at people around you and everyone looking exactly the same as you, or dressing the same as you having no diversity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your boring world not for you know, forget, forget everyone has a right to live, forget that. I don't want to live in a world where it's all me And yeah it looks like me.
Speaker 1: I'd be so bored.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, and that that extends on the most basic level. Yeah, the food choices we have. One of the great things is like I go to Thailand, right, and I have something I never had before, kowsoy. You know what kowsoi is?
Speaker 1: No, what would you call it? Kowsoi?
Speaker 2: How soy? Okay h ao o ikowsoy? And you find it Thai restaurants. I didn't know that, but I went to Thailand. I went to a shack in chang My, Thailand, and what comes coconut curry broth and then fresh hand pulled noodles at the bottom like the best pasta you ever had. And then whatever pro you like. It can be chicken or beef, pork or tofu if you want that, you have anything shrimp fish, then chilis and pickled mustard greens and shallats and so it ticks all the boxes. Oh, and then crispy fried noodles on top.
Speaker 1: Crispy that you got me with the crispy.
Speaker 2: All the textures and all the flavors right lime over the whole thing. My mouth's warming things.
Speaker 1: I know you're making me hungry.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this in Chang Mai, Thailand, this bowl of the most delicious thing I've ever had a dollar which is my second favorite price. And then what did I do when I came home? Well, we have a tie town in la We have Thai restaurants all over the place. Do you have cow so of course I never knew to look, I would never know. But now see, I'm turning you onto it. And whoever's listening next time, order cowsy at the Thai rest right and tell me you're not happy?
Speaker 1: Okay, challenge accepted, I will do.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm curious also in your life, besides with eating, where do you push yourself to just try it even when it's scary?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, I have a brother for that, right. So my brother is the executive producer of the show, and he and I, you know, made the show together, and I need him to push me into let's say, going into the coldest water on the earth in Iceland, a in a wet suit. I don't want to go in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he reminds you, just try it.
Speaker 2: Listen, what do you have a show for if you're not going to do stuff? I'm like, yeah, but let's say we don't have to be crazy. And so I do it, and I'm always happy that I did it, even though I fight again, I don't want to do it. I really am not Anthony Bourdain right right, it's a superhero and adventurer. I'm not that guy. And I do it, and even if I don't enjoy it, I'm happy I did it. Why because take that off the things of not to be afraid of anymore doesn't mean I'm going to do it. But I'm not afraid if I hadn't to do it or you know, gun to my head. Yeah, I've done it. Our biggest fear is the unknown.
Speaker 1: Until you do it, it is and then it's yep.
Speaker 2: You got to get over that hump of just try it and now you're better for it.
Speaker 1: I did a polar plunge once in Alaska and did not want to do it. Still don't want to do it, don't want to do it again.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you something? But you did it and you're happy you did it. That's a life experience that you know. You can say I did that, and you know what that's like, and so many people don't. And I'll tell you something else. I come home from the experience and I swear this is true. However many years ago. That was every day since then, no matter where I am in the world, I take a shower in the morning, and the last thirty seconds I put it on cold. Hm. Why it takes me right back to that? I know there's health properties to this. Right. And by the way, anyone listening, you forget your all your troubles. That's true, truly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't think about anything else.
Speaker 2: I built up from ten seconds just on my head, right, Your head can actually take it more than the rest, right, So I try to. I still focus on my head, but I built up to thirty seconds. Still gets on you. But I can do it. And I not only that, I feel incomplete if I don't do Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that a challenge every morning. Yeah, yeah, just to take you back.
Speaker 2: It's better than coffee.
Speaker 1: Now you're up, you're awake, going back to your book. Just try it. How was it working with your daughter like that?
Speaker 2: It's the greatest thing ever. She calls me. She goes, you know, you should do a kid's book. Kids like you and you love kids. You should do it. I said, good idea. I'll do it if you do with me. So's She was twenty five at the time, and I had a ball doing it. And guess what we're doing. Three more Phil and Lil series.
Speaker 1: Excellent, Good for you.
Speaker 2: The next one comes out in the spring and it's called just Try It Someplace New. I take it to Grandma's for the first time. She's afraid to sleep over someplace new because all she knows is her bed in her room. She's all the you know, it's just like trying new foods. What if I hate it? What if I hate it? What if I don't like it? That's everything in life. What if I don't like it, that's so limonade. It keeps us down, our own heads, keep us down.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: What if I don't like it? Yeah, guess what. That's what little kids said, You're supposed to grow out of that.
Speaker 1: It's true. I think I need to remember that sometimes when I'm just like I dig deep and I dig down, and I'm like I don't want to I don't want to eat that whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Now, know what else, Jenny, Or taste buds literally change as we get older. Literally every every I forget what the stat is, either every few years or every few months, even all new taste buds, and some of them change, and you're you're reacting to a memory of beats now when you eat them. Wait a minute, they're not so bad. That's right, They're not so bad because this is now different.
Speaker 1: Even my taste buds are evolving. That makes me happy. I love how you in even the food world, you share and talk a lot about feelings. From your perspective, How are how we eat and how we live connected to feelings?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, it's all connected. So I give an example. Let's say we're in Venice and where we're in love, we're going to get married, and and we're just it's the prime of life. You're with this person you can you love, and you are sitting on the canal and you're having a beautiful meal and oh look at Venice. The boats are going by, and the sunset is here, and you've never been happier. And the wine is the most delicious wine either of us have ever had. This wine is. So you know what, Let's buy a case of this wine. Let's buy a case. It will have it forever. It will always be our special wine from Venice, memory of this place, Okay, because it's the best wine we ever had. Go home a year later. It's our anniverse. Let's open a bottle of that wine from Venice. We open the wine, we decant it, we pour it, we swirl it. Here's to you. I love you, I love you. Taste how is it?
Speaker 1: It's all right, it's not what I remember.
Speaker 2: Because why we were in love on the canal in Venice, and the scents and the sights and the sounds and the feelings literally affected the way it tasted. Wow, that's true. You know. I used this example because we all know what that feels like. Everything's connected, the feeling, the sight, the sound, smells, the call evocative. A smell is you can smell it a scent and be transported like this to a feeling.
Speaker 1: A feeling, Right, yeah, I guess you can't. You can't really have one without the other. It seems like the.
Speaker 2: Greatest example ever in a movie is Ratitude. So the critic you saw the movie, right, Yes, a critic at the end, he's going to try the ratitude. Now the whole movie's on the line. Here we go. He tries the ratitude. What happens He zooms back to childhood m where his mom made him ratitude, not this ratitude, but ratitude and that, oh, Michael made him cry and remember his mom and remember that feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what It's so great when you eat something and it takes you back to something lost memory or.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then and the reason that's so special is because it made you feel something that maybe you haven't felt a long time. Yeah, I had a crazy experience. I don't know if you saw the episode we did in Dubai, but I had a lunch with a Palestinian woman and the world has told me. You know, you're not supposed to be friends with Palestinian woman. Palestinian woman is not supposed to be friends with someone like me. We got along so great. I love this lady. She made me food from her own hand. Her daughter's next to me. She goes, you're gonna eat this, You're gonna feel something. I said, listen, I'd like to feel that it tastes good. That's good enough for me. But here it is, and she's telling me your story to she gives me this thing and I put it in my mouth and I got emotional. Why it wasn't like zooming back to my mom's kitchen because she never made anything that tasted this good. This was special. This was like a special effect in a movie. This was like a UFO. I don't know what it was. I can't even explain it to you. But sometimes this happens if you're lucky. And do you know that this lady and I all through all the troubles in the Middle East, we ride each other, We dm each other sence, send love and hope and peace to each other because we had this special connection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had that connection.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it is all about feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. I read that you loved. When the La Times food critic delite Jonathan Gold said that he was trying to make all of us a little less afraid of our neighbors, that's right, just that, I mean.
Speaker 2: You can't you're gonna hate the guy that made you something delicious. You're gonna hate that guy. No, you're gonna love that guy. And you're seeing a human being for what they have to offer, which is by the way almost everybody. Everybody's got something to offer, I feel, and I love cooks. First of all, I can offer that I'm no cook, but I think chefs like me because I love.
Speaker 1: That you appreciate them them. Yeah, yeah, I know when someone cooks you something, Yes, when they make you something from scratch, there's just so much love in it, just in it.
Speaker 2: That's right. I swear that's what I tasted in that Palestinian woman's food.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't even describe it. Okay, how do you describe? There's love in it. It's just you know it when you have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like salads, right, I have my ex in laws, my nony of my daughters. Yes, she makes a salad that she grows the lettuce in her backyard and she makes this salad. It's just a plain salad, but it tastes so much better than any other salad I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Anyone that makes you a salad or a sandwich, it's always better than anything you could make. And one of the things about that I find is if you make it, you know everything that's in it. There's no surprise. It might be one reason I don't cook is because I love the surprise. It's like, I'm a fan of magic, and if I know how the trick is done, it's not magic anymore.
Speaker 1: No. Yeah, And there's just something about having someone make something for you. I don't know. I love it. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Why the name of the show is what it is?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: It also denotes a character that can't take care of himself, which is pretty trick.
Speaker 1: You need somebody to cook for you or I'll die. Oh you'll die. Oh my god, Phil, this is so fun. Let's keep going, okay. In part two of this episode, we'll talk about the best places in the world to eat vegan f Phil's newest adventure, and of course, his last I Choose Me moment. Remember, if you subscribe to I Choose Me, you'll be reminded every time there's a new episode in the queue.