Speaker 1: Welcome to my show.
Speaker 2: I'm Rashaun McDonald a host of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, where we encourage people to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning your own.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You don't want to miss an episode, so please take a moment right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversations Masterclass.
Speaker 1: It's free.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on iHeartRadio, app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast. New Money Making Conversations Masterclass episodes drop daily. I want to keep you on alert because my guests provide tips on how you can uplift your community, improve your financial planning, motivation, or advice on how to be a successful entrepreneur. Now, let's get this podcast started. My next guest role is from inconserration to receiving the President's Lifetime Achieving Award. She built a company in the cleaning industry and also provides architectural and construction camps inspire the next generation of architects and builders through design experiences. Let's hear our story and the inspiration that changed her life. Please work with the Money Making Conversation Masterclass. Robin Donaldson. How you doing, Robin?
Speaker 3: I am amazing. I am amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, Robin talked to you offline and you got a lot of energy, So I would get that same energy today because you went, I'm amazing. That was kind of low key that.
Speaker 1: There you go. Now, Robert, where are you based at?
Speaker 3: I'm in Tampa, Florida.
Speaker 1: Born and raised.
Speaker 3: Down in Tampa, Florida, born and raised.
Speaker 2: Tell me about your life growing up that nothing an't conservation part, just a part that when you grew up, any potential college in your life. Talk about your life as a teenager.
Speaker 3: Well, my life as a teenager was really sheltered. So I grew up in a very strict religious household and education was not something that was even really spoke of, right, and so for me, I went to a train school where I learned industrial electricity, and so that is really where the love of construction came from. As a result of me graduating, I did have an opportunity to attend Georgia Tech because I was the first female to complete you know that program. However, again my mom, she was very religious, and they did not believe in going off to college. She felt that you know, a trade was sufficient and that I needed to get to work.
Speaker 1: So trade versus going to Georgia Tech.
Speaker 3: I didn't go off to college. I just got a job locally with the Electrical Fund and that's where I learned, you know, more hands on about industrial electricity. After a couple of jobs, I decided I didn't like being out in the sun, thank you and so, and actually I had at a temple right right, and I'm talking about being in a small quarters. It was that was not what I wanted to do for a long term. So I changed my focus to being a hairstylist. And so I had gotten my license for cosmetology and for barbering, and for a while I was doing hair and that was until I got connected with my kid's father. Actually that's one of the reasons how I ended up in jail.
Speaker 1: Now you come into this relationship.
Speaker 2: What did your values change the led you being incarcerated.
Speaker 1: Was it easy money?
Speaker 2: Was it the thought process that hey, I was just gonna do it for a little bit and get out.
Speaker 3: Talk to is Robin, Well in order for you to understand them and have to back it up, let's back it up. Do so. Because I was in such a strict of household, right, Okay, the moment I graduated. I had my certificate in one hand and I had my luggage in the next. I had to give him away, and so from that I ran to the arms of an older guy, and he happened to be a drug dealer, and things just really spiraled out. I mean from me selling drugs from him, to using drugs, to making stupid decisions in the way of using my account to harbor money to write checks. So I was just really running from one situation to the other, and being with that my kid's father. I was involved in a lot of illegal activity that's finally caught up to me, and as a result, I did go to prison.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, how many children did you have at the time when you went to prison.
Speaker 3: I had two kids and I was pregnant with one.
Speaker 1: Now, when you.
Speaker 2: Say the word drug dealer, that's such a broad word. You know that you can say that people who are these pharmaceutical companies are drug dealers the way because they got to pay out these money. But you are more along the lines of the street. What type of drugs were you guys? Selling crack cocaine?
Speaker 1: And you are a user?
Speaker 3: Yes, I was.
Speaker 2: At one point, did you not say to yourself very smart, young lady, this is not good.
Speaker 3: I was at that smart thing now that I was book smart, but street smart. I had no idea. I was looking for love. I was looking for a father figure, and that is what I received.
Speaker 1: And so you are.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure you're a mentor. How do you feel when you communicating your story to young ladies who you don't want to see go down the same path you went down?
Speaker 1: Robin? How do you connect with them by.
Speaker 3: Keeping it real? One time? I was shamed. I was shamed to tell my story and then also to talk about all of the mental variable abuse that I had to undergo just the just in the name of love. Like I really get some crazy things like from the abuse. I thought that was his way of showing me that he loved me to the point that I would instigate an argument so he can whoop my behind.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more money Making Conversation master Class coming up next. Welcome back to money Making Conversation master Class hosted by me Rashaun McDonald. Money Making Conversation master Class continues online at Moneymaking Conversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations master Class on Facebook, X and Instagram. Now I ate that stupid Uh No, Now, when you got incarcerated, you said you were pregnant at two children.
Speaker 3: Okay, So before I got incarcerated, before because I had to turn myself in, I was afcluding the authorities until I had my daughter because I did not want to have my daughter in the penitentiary. So after I gave birth and I was cleared, I turned myself in.
Speaker 2: Now you have your child, you turn yourself in. How many years were you incarcerated? Five five years?
Speaker 1: Which that through?
Speaker 2: Did you get out early through probation or you did the entire sentence.
Speaker 3: I did the entire sentence.
Speaker 2: Now I have asked the question, did you learn anything while you were in pression?
Speaker 3: That's what it all changed.
Speaker 1: Talk to me.
Speaker 3: I had time to think, I had time to explore. I had an opportunity to advance.
Speaker 1: My education well a while in prison.
Speaker 3: While in prison.
Speaker 2: When you say advance your education, tell us about what level of education you advanced.
Speaker 3: Too, associate degrees. So for me, prison was very hard and I spent a lot of time. I'm in concern and I made the best use of confinement. I'm confined for twenty three hours. I go out for a hour. My time my days was meditating and learning. Then I had guards. We became very very close and a couple of them they were attending their local community college, and I would assist them with their books. In return, I'm able to read their books, you know. So if I'm going to help tutor you on business law, well guess what I know business law.
Speaker 1: Now I'm talking to Robin Donaldson.
Speaker 2: She went from incarceration to be honored by the President with a Lifetime Achievement Award, and all she does camps, mentoring camps for youth in architecture and instruction design in the area of Tampa, Florida. She's not only turned her life around, but now she's turning other young people's lives around.
Speaker 1: And she's really to tell her story.
Speaker 2: That's why she's on money Making Conversation master classes to tell our story. She's not trying to hide her situation. She's trying to convey from authentic matter that you don't want to live the life that she lived. But if you live this life, you can't turn your life around. And that's the story I want to tell. On the shoulder day, Robin, you turning your life around now when you got out of prison, you learned a lot while you were in prison. Robin was there steps as you were seeing you, they come up preparing for the exit.
Speaker 3: Well, at the time, I didn't really have an exit plan. And the exit plan came when I learned how to strip in buffs floors in prison at the highest level, I mean the floor's glass, right, So what I did? I took that knowledge.
Speaker 1: Did they ask you to do that or you just stepped it up?
Speaker 3: Okay, So you want to get back to that story.
Speaker 2: Okay, absolutely, you don't go to the why are you doing it at this level?
Speaker 1: But I know you could have just done it at this level.
Speaker 3: Okay, you want to know the story story because I again I frequent confined it a lot, right. And it was one incident where I was allowed to be released to the compound and the Wharton had stopped me, he said, missus in McDonald's. And you have a problem with, you know, instigating things on the compound. He said, I got I got a solution for you. While everybody's woe from to put you on third shift, you go stripping wax the administrator build it right, all right? So again that is where I learned how to strip wax. And buff floors like no other on the third shift, on the third shift when everybody was sleeping, when the compound was open an hour of sleep.
Speaker 2: So he saw your true gift was to stop you from having personal contact and put you to work when everybody else was sleep and when everybody would uh you were asleep.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: Now as you came out, because I mentioned in your intro you have you have a cleaning bit. But when you come out, we know that's not an easy accent. You know you have three children out there. Way know you what was the man of your life at that point? Was he still in your life?
Speaker 3: He was doing time as well?
Speaker 1: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 2: So you came out by yourself basically, how did you start getting those feet and putting those feet down on that concrete and start walking forward like you know you belong there?
Speaker 1: Talk to me, Robin.
Speaker 3: So what happened was I was able to get on work release. It was six months prior to my release date. They allowed me to go to a work least program where I would be local, not in prison. It's a halfway house.
Speaker 1: It's transitioning there.
Speaker 3: You go a transitioning house and one of the requirements is you had to have a job, and so right up the street there was a homewood Suites by Hilton, right and I applied, and that's where I learned how to clean at the highest level. Hilton is by far one of the cleanest chains that I know. And again, learning how to clean at the highest level, plus knowing how to strip wax and buff at the highest level, it only made sense for me to be a cleaning service. Reason.
Speaker 2: I liked listening to you because that's to say, that's a smile on your face, because that means you good at it. You know, it's always great to be good at something. You know, I'm gonna take the word out. I'm like saying good she's smiling because she's great at it. Because she uses the word highest level, she's never used to, I'm undermining her talents.
Speaker 1: And I apologize. She kif used the word I learned at.
Speaker 2: The highest level. I buff at the highest level. So those skills you recognize were different from everybody else because you put in more effort.
Speaker 1: Are you just naturally talented at it?
Speaker 3: Well? See, it's part of a bigger plan. When I came home, I said, I opened the cleaning service, but the ultimate goal was to be into the construction industry. That has been the overarching goal. And what better way to get into the construction industry is by cleaning the construction trailers. I mean, because that's where all the decision makers are, that's where all action happens. And so I started cleaning trailers. Then I developed relationships, and then they had me doing final clean, post construction clean.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass. Now, I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe money Making Conversations. Welcome back to money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by me Rashaun McDonald. Money Making Conversation Masterclass continues online at Moneymaking Conversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, X and Instagram.
Speaker 3: And from that, that is how I was able to secure the contract for the Tempa Convention set.
Speaker 1: Congratulations.
Speaker 3: I had three shifts. Three shifts with sixty five employees. And then from that, I was selected by the NFL as the premium cleaning company for the Super Bowl and telp for Florida. They like job that I did so well they called me back for the NFL kickoff. From that, I was on the news channel thirteen. I get a phone call. Somebody said, I'm called her from Home Depot. I want to make you a distributor. I said him, I'm getting pranked this upthing right now, Like, how did you get my number? He said, I saw you on the news and we wanted to follow the money trail. And as a result of that, I'm a distributor from Home Depot. So now all of the clients that I cleaned for now I supply them with their supplies and their paper products.
Speaker 2: Now, Robin, first of all, you've been incarcerated five years.
Speaker 1: How do you get past that?
Speaker 2: Because I'm sure there's a trust factor that people a stereotype. You're black, omer, drugs, incarcerated five years? How do you start getting past those negative points that stop a lot of.
Speaker 3: People start with it? Like I don't. I don't tiptoe around it. I mean, that is not a selling point, but it's nothing that I'm ashamed of either. Right, So for for a long time I would never use my government name because I didn't want anyone doing any type of research that I don't care. This is who I am, right, And it was one superintendent who told me something. He says, Robin, that's what you were, not who you are. And he said, there is nobody walking, living, breathing that does not have a family member or have been affected by such. But you are a sterling example of what you could, what you were, what you could be. And I took it for what it was. And so again I have no problem introducing myself as inmate four, seven, five, nine to eleven because that's not who I am today. And if you want to stick to what I was when maybe we're not, we don't need to work together. And that's just how it is.
Speaker 1: In your beating days, how were you securing jobs?
Speaker 2: And as a rf P they call it request for proposed Right, what does that?
Speaker 1: What does that look like? What did you have to submit?
Speaker 3: So's I start before the RFP ever comes out. So, to be very frank, it's like playing chess instead of playing checkers. When an RFP hits the streets, right, you have to maybe a month to respond, depending on the scope of work. I don't I don't want to. I don't wait for those opportunities. I know first of all, I have a goal. I have a plan as to who I would like to work with and the type of work that I want to do. So I study those individuals, I understand what the forecast looks like for them, and I'm going to go ahead and develop the relationships. So when opportun when of these do arise, my name Renewed Construction Services is the first one on your tongue. You're going to notify me. And then also I attend events in understanding again the forecast of a found projects and again cultivating those relationships, and that's how I am able to secure most of the contracts. But I think that something else that I learned in prison, and it's the art of collaboration. Because one thing I do, I do not play small. However, I understand my limitations and my strengths. So one thing that I have done is other smaller construction companies that are looking to scale. I will respond to a large RFP that would require me collaborating with smaller fetoms. Right, and so now they have an opportunity to put on their resume that they have done or as a part of a project of such magnitude.
Speaker 2: Now, men at your you've been blessed, how do you share those blessings with the young people in a community.
Speaker 3: Of Every time I can, I can get the ear of a youth, I impart something from nugget. However, either the focus or the majority of the impact would be through the nonprofit which is called STEM Exposure, and STEM Exposure is a non as a nonprofit whose mission is to expose black girls to unrepresented STEM careers as it relates to architecture, construction, beauty sports. I can honestly say that after I did start my business, I had a mentor. And my mentor, her name is an mc mill down in South Florida. She's an amazing individual. She took me around the country and exposed me to different fastest of construction until I found my calling. If that is the same thing that I do to others, Basically, I encourage people to bring their talents to the construction industry. Right, So whatever it is you're good at it, let's see how it applies to the construction industry. And then from that I also teach the construction trades. So it's all about whether you are a third through twelfth grader or you are an adult. I'm going to inspire you one way or the other.
Speaker 2: You rose from a conservation to getting the President's Lifetime Achievement of War. Now, it wasn't about getting the contract for an NFL the Tampa or the Tampa Convention Center, all your all your legacies that you created.
Speaker 1: It's about those kids that you're changing, those.
Speaker 2: Girls who you were inspiring to pursue a stam opportunities.
Speaker 1: That's what makes you special. When you got the President's award, did you understand that?
Speaker 3: I don't think you understand that, Lusha, the same that locked me up was the same agency that gave me a Presidential Lifetime Achievement award. And I'm a posed on that one.
Speaker 1: No polls keep speaking.
Speaker 2: Because there was pain and fear there was tied to that agency. Now there was celebration and hope there was tied to that same agency. That's why I don't have to pause, because I know when you go out the front door, sometimes going out that back door, it's the same house.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: That's why I wanted to interview you, because see, we all got these stories out here, because your story is going their movie. I'm just let you know that darn that movie now, cause you because you were combative in jail, and you know, you didn't get along with nobody. They had to put you in confinement all the time. That means that you didn't talk to nobody, couldn't nobody tell you nothing. You were just robbing on headed dogs, that's who you were. But somebody saw something me you put you on that third.
Speaker 1: Shift, and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: Rest is history.
Speaker 1: So what's the future for Robin?
Speaker 3: Well, remember I told you in the beginning, the whole the overarching goal was to be a contractor, and you know, start my construction company. And I am glad to say that twenty nineteen is when actually we started the construction company. And I always knew what it was going to be, so I named it as such, Renewed Construction Services. We are licensed rufirst, we are licensed contractors and architectural designers.
Speaker 1: Now I can pause. Now I'm pausing, not because you know you got that little smirk.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna tell you some if I wish I was like, that's the only inview iver done about life. I wish our lives like ye r I five hug and because it's just so calm about it, because but you know the hard work being put in place.
Speaker 1: When will you celebrate, Robin or you've not at the finish line yet.
Speaker 3: Well, I celebrate all the time. I celebrate my little wins. But I'm gonna tell you which one it had the most impact. Okay, when I was able to put my bills on auto pay, Yes, let me know that I was doing.
Speaker 2: Something which is very smart, by the way, and you know it's a piece of piece.
Speaker 3: He's like, I don't have to even think about my bills like that gives me space to think about other creative things that I need to do. But that was again something that I struggled with, you know, Robin Paul to pay Peter, not knowing how I was going to but to now know that I can financially sustain myself not have to worry.
Speaker 2: Hey, Robert, you have a foundation. Can we tell everybody how they can find your foundation?
Speaker 3: Stem exposure ww dot stem s t E m x p O s U r E dot org.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Now, what about your business? If you want to go down there and see this great business and learn more about you. Robert Donaldson. Tell us your website that.
Speaker 3: Would be ww dot renew Construction Services dot com. Would it be renewed r E W R U R E N e W.
Speaker 2: There you go, my friend. I know you were recommended to come on my shall. I've never had a guest like you or Mishell, which is always a new experience for me, which is good for me because there's so many paths in life that people deal with to be successful or to achieve happiness. I'm seeing both happiness and success, and more importantly, to be recognized by a lifetime achieving award for the work that you're doing in the community and how you turned your life around and becoming an AX paying hiring individual just recognized from the NFL to the Center of Tampa.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Robin, Thank you so much. Thank you for listening to this episode.
Speaker 2: No, I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation.
Speaker 1: It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow a subscribe Money Making Conversations keep winning,