Speaker 1: Josh Smith from The Rangers joining us right now on FT. Josh, great to have you on the show. Welcome first off, how you doing.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 4: I appreciate you all for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 1: And you do have a lot to live up to here for the next tenish minutes, because your teammate Rowdy Telez comes on this show somewhat frequently and we're like, hey, give us the name for the Rangers that we need to bring on the show. And he didn't really hesitate. He was like Josh Smith, Josh Smith, the guy. So why do you think he said that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I would probably say I got to keep it a little bit more professional on here since we are live and on television, but in the locker room it's a little bit unfiltered. So I'd say that's probably why Rowdy had me as the first option.
Speaker 2: Unfiltered in what way? Like we just showed a highlight of Troy Gilbert, Like that's pretty unfiltered and like out there maybe borderline like r rated or what's the unfiltered part of it? And have you always been that way even as a rookie? Uh?
Speaker 4: I mean I would say I definitely probably just tried. I talk a lot of snack in the locker room to anybody and everybody, especially rowdy. He's one of my favorites to uh, to mess with. But I would say my first year, uh, in the big leagues, no, I was super quiet. I was like I was in college. I was always kind of kind of loud and obnoxious. But uh, but for a rookie year, super quiet didn't really talk much. And then I hit like one sixty and it was just miserable and I had no fun. And then I got sent down so called back up. And in twenty twenty three, I would say we kinda I kind of opened up a little bit more and we won the World Series, and so I just kind of kept it going and kind of just talk smacked everybody.
Speaker 3: I like that yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what I said. Did I say. I didn't say Drew Gilbert.
Speaker 3: No, you said try that was fine?
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, I didn't. I didn't get the reference there, but I went along, like I knew you were talking about. But I've seen some I've seen some clips of that guy. I wouldn't say I'm quite like that. He seems pretty uh. He seems pretty funny out there in the locker room, I give guys a hard time, but on the field, I really feel like I probably don't show a ton of emotion, which, yeah, I play a lot different than I act in the locker room.
Speaker 2: I feel like, we know Rowdy loves loves the fact that you know your your stick, all the stuff you're getting on him. Who hates it? Who's the guy that you're like going around and just like, I'm not talking about somebody on a start day and then other days, but who's like I'm not I'm not feeling you. I'm not feeling this many.
Speaker 4: My favorite person, I don't know whether he likes it or loves it, but my favorite person will give a hard time to a sion just because he is so. He's pretty serious. I feel he's a great locker room guy. But he's just serious and uh, Rowdy too. We kinda we really get onto Marcus just to kind of give him a hard time and he gets a little sensitive with it sometimes, but he gives it back every now and then. But he's a fun He's a fun one for me to mess with, just because he's a he's an older salty dog he's been in the league for forever, and he's he's really fun to mess with, all right, So.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the team here, Josh.
Speaker 1: What's it like to kind of, I mean, you're not going to say this, obviously, but for the general public to think it's not the year for the Rangers maybe a few weeks ago and then things have resurfaced here where your team is just a couple of games out in the lost column of the playoff spot. So what's that been like to feel like publicly the team came back to life in terms of being in the playoff mix.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I'm kind of right there with the public. If you'd told me two weeks ago would be a game out, I've been like, I don't know, you're kinda kind of overthinking it there, but yeah, I mean we've dude, we've just kind of gotten hot at the right time. We're playing with with so many guys down Seeger Simeon, Ebo, all those guys, and uh, I don't know, I just feel like we're playing with with nothing to lose, really is what it feels like. And I mean, we're obviously in a wild quarter race, but in my opinion, we're kind of in the division too, so we uh, we don't have a ton of time, but I think we've put ourselves in a pretty good spot.
Speaker 2: So all right. David Murphy, one of the TV guys for the Rangers, coined coined the phrase the Little Rascals for the four rookies that are now playing. Do you feel like that's a decent nickname for those four guys to get the name the Little Rascals? But also what is it that they bring that Oh wait, wasn't around before? Or why is it successful? Are they better than Corey Seeger and Marcus Simeon. I'll answer for you. I don't think so, but they're winning and it's working.
Speaker 4: So what we're talking about Cody Freeman, Hellman Ozona and who else?
Speaker 2: Uh I forget the fourth one?
Speaker 4: Okay, So yeah, I mean yeah, I mean definitely doing it differently. I think Helmet had five five RBIs for us last night. Yeah. I think they just kind of bring a a different energy. I'm not saying they're better or worse than those guys, but it's it's just a different energy. They're young guys excited to get the opportunity and taking advantage of it. Uh. Cody Freeman. I honestly see a lot of myself and Cody Freeman in the locker room. Especially. He's he's pretty funny. I'm not calling myself funny, but he's just kind of talking smack in the locker room. He's kind of a it's just a high energy guys. He's been awesome for us. I think he's gonna have a really good career. Hellman has been great. Like I said, Ozuna has done his part. But yeah, no, they they definitely bring a different energy to us. Playing with a little bit more motion on the field is something we've probably lacked this whole year, besides Jack Peterson, who gets after a little bit on the field. But yeah, those guys are They're a lot of fun to be around.
Speaker 2: Josh, I want you pay attention to the schedule and who you guys play. I know you're gonna say it's one day at a time. You guys, you have Milwaukee, then you got the Mets, then you go to Houston, and then you kind of end with the chance to do some damage. Are you just trying to survive these next eight games and then say, hey we got Miami, Minnesota and Cleveland to end it and we can make a little run there or try to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we it's definitely we got some some some tough guys ahead of us. But we're kind of I mean, dude, we were so out of it. Like two weeks ago, we were like kind of joking, We're just like, hey, we kind of kind of win every game from here on out. And I think it was like twenty four or more or something like that at the point of what we like when we mentioned it, and it's like, we're actually pretty pretty close to achieving. Then now if we just kind of keep up this pace and so like it, like I said, just kind of started as nothing to lose, and then we kept winning some games, winning some games, and then I mean last night we went out and beat a pretty good Milwaukee Brewers team, and yeah, I don't know, we're just, like you said, kind of taking it one game at a time, cliche. But yeah, you got to survive these next couple and then we get Houston again, so you got a chance to hopefully make up some ground on them. But yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 2: You said about two weeks ago you were thinking that you were thinking like, oh man, you know, maybe maybe we wouldn't be. What time or how long ago did you start looking at the scoreboard start looking at the fact that the Mariners kept losing on their East Coast road trip. I assume you're watching every day.
Speaker 4: Now, I mean at this point, yeah, but I would say about a week, week and a half ago, week and a half, two weeks ago, whatever it was, I don't even know. I feel like we were out of the I feel like I felt like we were out. I think we were like five or six games back, and then I don't check the standings every day, but I looked and I was like, we're two bad. It's kind of as definitely do it now, and it's I guess we just kind of got hot and and some teams in front of us were kind of playing playing bad bass, so I guess, and I mean, I guess we just made up some ground. But it kind of happened like it wasn't like I was following it happening, and just I looked and I was like, hey, we're we kind of got to shut at this thing.
Speaker 1: We are longtime fans of Omaha Steaks, and I am drooling looking at the website right now featuring USDA certified Tender Steaks and also during their Red Hot Sale event going on right now this fall fifty percent off site wide at Omaha Steaks dot com, plus for the ftfam an extra thirty five dollars off with promo code foul at checkout. You've been a big fan of Omaha Steaks since your early days as a prep.
Speaker 2: It brings me back to my a ball low a ball days because we used to survive on this to get a big order at the beginning of the year, cook them on our little electric grill. Can of peas, so mac and cheese. That was dinner for four. We survived off Omaha Steaks. It still has a special place in my heart.
Speaker 3: You thrived well. You guys ate like kings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's specially well. Get fired up for fall grilling with Omaha Steaks. Visit Omaha Steaks dot com for fifty percent off site wide during the Red Hot Sale event and for an extra thirty five bucks off promo code foul a checkout. Fifty percent off at Omaha Steaks dot com and an extra thirty five dollars off with promo code foul a checkout see site for details.
Speaker 3: Dig in Hey, Josh.
Speaker 1: Another surprising stat I learned yesterday while watching the game. Your team was one of three remaining that hadn't hit a Grand Slam yet this year? So how cool was that for Helman? But also for the team. Did the team know about that?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't even know if I didn't. I guess now that you say, yeah, I didn't even know he didn't have a Grand Slam, But yeah, no, that was huge, especially for Helman to do that in that situation against a really good team was sweet. But but man, our ballpark has been I'm not making excuses for lack of home runs, but like it's just kind of not that rising that we haven't hit one, just because I feel like the ball hasn't really been flying all that crazy out of our park, so I guess it gives us less of a chance.
Speaker 2: Do you guys notice that? Did you notice that? Like coming back from spring training? Like something changed because we talked about it on here. How it's now the number one, number one pitcher's park in the league, which I didn't see coming before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's uh. I remember my first couple of years here, it was pretty true. I wouldn't say it was a like boombox or anything. But it was if you got a ball I was going. Now it's if you hit a ball to center field. I mean I think Yellow hit one at like one oh four to left center last night and it didn't even make it to the track. He had another one at one o six didn't like barely made it to the train. I don't know. It's I don't really know what's going on there. But if you get it down the lines, it's pretty good. But I mean if you you got to really get one to center field to get it out, I mean it's I don't know why. It's something's a little a little different this year than your spast.
Speaker 2: Did you notice in BP, Like, do you guys talk about it in BP or is it like the culmination of a lot of games where you're like, wow, man, it is just not carrying.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's both. For sure. BP is a little bit demoralizing when you hit on the field. I mean I went out and hit early the other day with a light beat and I was struggling to get it out on a BP heater. But it's definitely it's different. But I mean I think that's kind of a little bit of a home field advantage for us, especially with our pitching staff and the way they've been doing it, and I mean with us not putting up a ton of runs consistently, it's I mean, in my opinion, it kind of gives us a little bit of an inch.
Speaker 1: Josh, what was it like last year coming off of the World Series? Now we're two years removed, it was an awesome twenty twenty three. You guys lost the division in the final week. It ended up work now great that wild Guard schedule in the momentum was awesome.
Speaker 3: So what was that like?
Speaker 1: What do you remember from it in terms of just taking momentum despite what the season looked like. And then part two here is the classic World Series hangover question And if you felt like it was real?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. In twenty twenty three, we got hot at the right time. I think we we thought we knew we were good. And if you asked, probably our ownership they year two, after getting all those guys the de Grams, Evos Seeger Simeons. Year two, I guarantee you they wouldn't have been like, hey, we're gonna win the World Series this year probably would have been twenty twenty four was more of their goal. But yeah, we got hot in twenty three. We were a good team. We weren't great. I don't remember how many wins we have, but we didn't dominate the regular season. But we just got hot at the right time, made a run and then and twenty two four. It is a little blurry, honestly. I know that's only a year ago, but I feel like I do remember if kind of Oh, yeah, Josh Young got hurt, and I mean when you lose a rookie All star guy at third base is going to hit in the middle of your lineup, I think, like four or five games in that definitely takes a toll on you, especially when he was kind of we I mean, we expect a lot of Josh and he expects a lot of himself, but he was gonna kind of be our guy in the middle of the order, and he went down pretty early, and then it was kind of just like you said, just a hangover. I mean, guys were probably dragging a little bit. I mean I went and played in the dr for eleven whole days and just like just a short offseason, and yeah, it definitely it caught up to us. But we need to kind of need to move on past that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but then you stepped up and won the Silver Slugger, so that worked out for you. Maybe you should go back to dr for eleven games and you'll win a silver slug Where did you display your silver Slugger?
Speaker 4: Apt Oh my gosh, dude, I have such a tiny house here in Dallas that it's in my closet right now, next to all my wife's purses. So yeah, I don't really have any display on it yet. Maybe maybe we get a bigger house, we'll be able to fit it in there.
Speaker 2: So you're ever going to catch a game? I look at I'm looking at your Baseball reference and there's no sea by anything play every single position. And you're on a show with two catchers. Are you ever going to catch a game in the show?
Speaker 4: I hope not. Honestly, I don't ever want to experience what you guys had to experience. We would be we'd be in trouble. If I'm catching a game, I don't I don't ever want to have to pitch, or I don't ever want to have to catch. Those are two positions I'm fine with never playing. You haven't pitched, no, surprisingly, not being a utility guy coming off the bench every now and then. You would think you would, but no, I have not yet. But it's almost a goal of mine to never have to pitch.
Speaker 3: So if they asked you, what would you say?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if they asked me, it definitely would.
Speaker 2: But would you lob it or would you or would you get after it a little bit?
Speaker 4: I'm going with the probably like a lab approach. I just like me hitting off of position players. It's a little bit easier to hit when they're kind of like throwing you VP heaters in there as opposed to like softball, the high kind of slow ones. I think you're harder.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I like that takes sense. Hey, before you go, Josh, he's the best utility guy from LSU. You font No Tario, who's the best one from Baton Rouge and LSU? Which one's I know? Fontdo's got the best parking spot LSU football game, so he might win.
Speaker 4: I can't give Trio any credit. I'm not going to give Trio any credit, although him and fun overstudsh my gosh. I mean, you guys are forgetting the Mayhew. The Mayhew's a stud too. He was he was. Mayhew was my guy when I was when I was I'm gonna go with the Mayhew just for for me. That's that was my guy growing up. I loved watching him, No.
Speaker 2: He said, he said, utility guys, the Mayhew. If le Mayhew's your guy, and you're talking about how boring Seeger and Simeon are, you must love being around dudes who are just boring baseball nuts. But what's the deal with fun No fun o, Tario, and you can lsu get somebody over five foot ten to play utility a utility position.
Speaker 4: I think it's just the requirement at this point. Man. It's uh, they I don't know. Five ten is a stretch. Honestly. I did the little laser thing at the beginning of the season for the strike zone or whatever, and they gave me five eight and a half. So five ten a push that I kind of wish I would take. But no, not even five ten. And I don't think tyry On Funo or either not even close.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's the thing where you you want to be smaller, right, didn't we talk about that at the beginning of the year. You don't want to It's it's kind of the balance of you want to sound good on paper, but you also want.
Speaker 3: To shrink and kind of right. That was for the the ABS.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, for the a bs. So all these big guys are kind of getting the brunt end of it instead of a small guys or kind of have a little advantage.
Speaker 2: So I did you slouts when you did it?
Speaker 4: No, dude, I was standing up as straight as I could. Five eight and a half that's a h that's a tough look. So I was trying to get to at least five nine.
Speaker 1: Well, you round up obviously. I mean people on dating profiles round up like two and a half inches. You can at least round up half an inch to five.
Speaker 4: I think. I think that's the worst type of human being actually, is someone who rounds up their height. I want you to tell me exactly what you are, like, don't lie about your height. If you lie about your height, you have a little bit of insecurity to you that that makes me not trust you as much as as another person who tells me exactly how tall they are.
Speaker 3: Wait, but if you're five so, well it's the line you have to do.
Speaker 2: Have these.
Speaker 4: I mean, dude, five eight and a half is a lot different than five to nine in my opinion.
Speaker 3: So yeah, say with your test, do you agree?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have that problem. I mean I'm six three and a half and people ask me and I say six three six four. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could say six three six, But when you're six three six four, it's not a I mean, that's those are both pretty good. When you're five eight, five ten, that's a big five to eleven. That's a big difference.
Speaker 3: So okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people don't to switch their profiles right now.
Speaker 2: Nobody can switch your baseball reference page. And we joke on the show, but it's kind of serious. We talk about ft magic. The last two guys that have come on that have been one home run behind me in my career end up getting a home run pretty soon afterwards. So enjoy your home run when you cross home plate. Just remember you tied one of the all time great four A players with thirty.
Speaker 4: One home Need it, man, It's been about a month and a half now since my last one, so I could really use one.
Speaker 2: It's coming.
Speaker 1: Good luck there you will now you know you got a pass Crafts, so that makes sense. Josh, this was awesome man. Yeah, it totally lived up to it. This was really fun. Hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for swinging by, and good luck the rest of the way here. We're following closely.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, I appreciate it. Thank you,