Speaker 1: On this episode of This League. We do some cleanup on our All All Star episode, so you talk about why Blake Griffin chose the Nets. We cover the best rumors circulating the NBA before the trade deadline, and we break down why walk the ball up. Nate McMillan is one of the worst potential coaches to coach the Atlanta Hawks, and yet he still has the job. Much like our All All Star episode, Marty, the ratings are in for the big Game in Atlanta and they are shocking.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I'm looking at it. The Nielsen ratings. It's pretty interesting. Five point nine million total viewers. But in the eighteen to thirty four age group, T and T just crushed crushed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was crazy to me. They were the most few network in primetime for people under forty nine and the game, folks, the game had a bigger audience for folks under forty five than the Oprah interview with Megan Markle.
Speaker 2: How about that that?
Speaker 1: I did watch it after the bat. The All Star Game, though, as we know, was designed to promote and market HPCUS, and the court was branded they. I think they donated three million dollars to HBCUs through the through the confines of the All Star Game, which in hindsight kind of doesn't seem like a lot at all. And other than I guess, mister balloon hands and NBAT, it was a pretty good All Star weekend all in all, and the league made a shitload of money. So I guess to recap Adam Silver took the calculated risk and made the right decision, you know, considering everything, the assess, assessing the potential blowback, the health issues, and decided to just, like Bucket, We'll just pull the trigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I guess the biggest takeaway for me is that it is what it is right now in covid Land. Right the league is going to be very lucky if only the Sixers get screwed coming out of the break. And I have some reason why why You may ask Marty why why Tristan, Because it's shocking that Atlanta was not the city that had the most NBA players parlaying during the All Star break, not even by a long shot. Where do you think they were?
Speaker 2: Because you're asking, I'm going to guess, Miami.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Miami, Miami, baby, Oh my god, one hundred and fifty NBA players parlaying in Miami.
Speaker 2: That's so many. I mean, there's only like four hundred.
Speaker 1: Almost yes, almost half the league doing god knows what. And the reason, folks that we know that there were one hundred and fifty NBA players parlaying in Miami is because they have to let the NBA know where they are so they can get COVID testing. And one hundred and fifty of them were setting up their little COVID schedule using the Miami Heat Facility and there were lines, drive through lines around the block so the NBA players could go get a swamp up their nose. Twice again, that is absurd. So Brian Windhorst talked about this on his pod and he said the NBA had an accurate account of how many NBA players were there. I was told it was in the neighborhood of one hundred and fifty players in Miami over the weekend. I don't know for sure, but I think the testing site was the Heat facility. They had to give the players a schedule. It was a drive through and they had multiple lanes, multiple lanes. Marty Adam Silver was right. I guess like everybody's gonna do what they want to do we might as well make some money during the All Star break? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, that actually makes a lot of sense that he would think about it that way. I mean, if there's gonna be a break, players are going to congregate. I mean we just see it in our everyday lives. People are gonna gather like people aren't gonna follow the rules one hundred percent of the time all the time. So yeah, And the All Star Game was great. I had enjoyed it, So yeah, I think he made the right.
Speaker 1: I think so too, given everything that is happening with the league and the salary cap and potential shutdowns and shutdowns last year, I mean, you might as well get some money out of it if you're gonna have over half the league, not social distancing and in one spot. So I my final takeaway I guess is this. I have a little trouble empathizing with NBA players who complained about the All Star Game being unsafe, saying that it shouldn't have happened, and then watching half the league board a party bus during All Star Week in Miami. Half the league, what do you think, like half the league just happens to have family in Miami.
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I mean they probably had to like fill out a form or like something like why they went. That's probably part of part of the protocol, right, I mean, if it is, I would love to see.
Speaker 1: Those I need names. Who was in charge of this, Who was the leader of the group chat that was like, hey, hey guys, I know just the spot where we can all come through. This had to be coordinated. You can't get that many players in one spot without there being some sort of organized effort.
Speaker 2: I would say Kelly oubre is the favorite to be the ringleader has.
Speaker 1: To be who formed the group chat and said Miami or NA this league so everyone knows the news now, Blake Griffin to the Nets. I broke that story. No big deal. I am Adrian Ward Janowski's little sister, just scooping pools left and right. But the thing that we didn't know until he came to the Nets was it as soon as he got traded or fought out there they went from did you know this, Marty? They went from plus four hundred to plus two seventy five to win the title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, making them the worst bet in sports right now.
Speaker 1: They're in some books now the favorites, right, the Lakers, the defending champs are the only ones that have better odds in some books at two fifty. Do you know, by the way, do you know the basketball smoothie story?
Speaker 2: No? What's that?
Speaker 1: You don't know that? I don't, all right, So, when Steve Nash came to the Nets as the head coach, I wrote a blog. Don't google the blog.
Speaker 2: Okay, the blog was.
Speaker 1: The blog was not super excited about Steve.
Speaker 2: Nash being the Oh okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: So I got called on the Barstool Radio for with Dan Katz, Big Cat and a couple of other employees at Barstool, and we went back and forth. We sparred on why I didn't like the move, how I thought anyone could do the job and win based around at this point just Kevin Durant and Kyrie or just those two, right, it was Steve Nash, Kevin Durant and Kyrie. And Dan said, if they if the Nets win the title, will you eat a basketball smoothie, a miniature basketball made of rubber and put it in a Vitamins and and eat it live on camera? And I said no, And then he was like, no, you will, And I was like, okay, if I'm very confident and that's aw' gonna win the title. So if they win, yes, on a live stream, I will eat a basketball smoothie. And you know, I'm a little bit concerned.
Speaker 2: Now, I didn't know that part of it. Damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm concerned because there was no James Harden. There was no Blake Griffin. All there were were two best friends with an injury history and a first time head coach. There was no Mike D'Antoni. There was nothing, nothing.
Speaker 2: He hadn't filled out the staff yet. It was like, yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: Just the bare bones. I feel cheated, and as things come together, I am getting more and more nervous. Tell me, let's go into the quote about what Blake Griffin had to say on why he showed the nets and why I should be nervous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Blake said they have a need power forward and I'm close with DeAndre and Bruce Brown. It was a tough decision and I wanted to be on a team that was contending.
Speaker 1: I loved that it was like Bruce Brown. Then it was one of the lynchpins of the Blake Griffin sign, Bruce Brown. I can't come out here without my best friend Bruce Brown.
Speaker 2: People's players seem to love him. Players seem to just love him.
Speaker 1: I mean, he can give you thirty five on any given night. I am a big Bruce Brown fan. There might be a Bruce Brown segment. Who knows it. Also recently was said on some media outlet that it was KD who recruited him the most to come to Brooklyn, which you know, I guess Kat was kind of in that Draymond Green rowle where he was He's trying to put the pieces together, play little mini GM. I am very curious to see how Blake fits into the system. I guess they're gonna use him as a playmaker.
Speaker 2: I don't know. There's actually kind of like a lot of stuff they could do with him. I don't really love it, honestly. I don't think Blake is really gonna move the needle for them that much. I think they're gonna try really hard and nothing really is going to change that much.
Speaker 1: And I guess I think that he could be excellent. I have seen a lot of Detroit Biscos games, as you know, Marty and Blake Griffin as a hustleman, as a man who can pass kick out. He has gotten double teams his entire career. He will no longer ever get double teams if he comes off the bench, you know, and play some second unit minutes and they can't double him because maybe Kyrie is in there and Joe Harris, pretty boyd, Joe Harrison of course all star Bruce Brown is in there hitting from the corner. I think it could be great. I think it could and you know what, and if it's not great, you're paying them the minimum?
Speaker 2: Well right, yeah, yeah, And I definitely think it needs to be a bench roll, like when they when he first got bought out, and I started thinking like, oh, like what if we brought him in Phoenie. I know people probably hate me because all I do is ever talk about my team, But when I was thinking of that, I was just thinking, like, if we could give Frank Kminski's minutes to Blake Griffin, like that'd be sweet. But like, that's all I was really thinking of. I wasn't thinking like, oh, let's get Blake Griffin to come in here and start a power forward for us. That was never a thought on line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think especially when KD and as I think we're starting to see KD is more injured than people wanted to say in the beginning. They like to they like to use the wing and the power forward to facilitate the playmate, and when Kd's out, they can't do that, and that changes the complexity and the complexion of their offensive system in a way that can hurt them. So I think Blake could be that piece for them. I think it's a great pickup. And like I said, if it doesn't work out, you paid him one point two million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no risk.
Speaker 1: Great for the Nets, not for me, I would say, just another piece. If Vegas is starting to put them as the favorite to win it all, that's how you know it's a meaningful piece. I doubt that if I have to eat the basketball smoothie, I will ever get it down. Like, I don't even think that that's possible. I could go to the hospital for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should google it. Is it even safe to do?
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm consulting my doctor about it. All I can say is this, Anthony Davis better get healthy right quick and maybe hopefully the Lakers can have a couple of tricks up their sleeve in order to make it even more difficult for the Nets and that is what the next segment is for it, Marty, how great is that for a segue for Dan Gilbert and Lebron James. I mean, just look at those lyrics. Look at those lyrics and imagine Celo Green is Dan Gilbert singing to Lebron James. Just imagine it, and and now you know, Now you know what this segment is all about. This is a perfect representation of Dan Gilbert cheap by cheating, stealing, doing whatever that he can to keep Lebron James in his grasp and to keep Lebron James from winning a title when he leaves just a salty, bitter ex that is Dan Gilbert. Dan Gilbert was trending, Marty. We talked about this a couple of days ago when it happened. He is trending because Andre Drummond, you know, wants out of Cleveland, as pretty much everyone wants out of Cleveland, and his big contract has rumored he's gonna get bought out, but he wants to go to La Right. People are saying, the world is saying, where's Andre Drummer gonna go? Is he gonna match up and come with Lebron James, be a big man to back up Anthony Davis is Anthony Davis gonna get healthy? Who knows Andre's perfect? And then Baron Davis comes through and Baron Davis drops a tweet to show us why Dan Gilbert is the biggest piece of shit this side of Donald Sterne. Let's go over Dan quickly before we talk about this tweet. Dan Gilbert's illustrious career as an owner of the Cast. He drafted Braun out of high school and surrounded this dude with bumps, right, I would say there were bumps for seven years.
Speaker 2: Didn't didn't acquire Amri Stottammeyer because he was too attached to JJ Hickson famously.
Speaker 1: JJ Hickson by the way, great Blazer, so terrible cat. Then Braun was like, you know what, I'm tired of playing with bumps. I'm tired of having to do everything I want to win a title. And he bounced, and then Dan Gilbert proceeded to write a letter in comic sans of distirating him, basically saying, you know what, Lebron, I've got a voodoo dall set up with pins and I'm gonna push inside of it. You're never gonna win a title. Yourselfish you're awful, like he said so much shit. It was like, I can't even believe that this is real. You're disloyal. You promised us, you promised Cleveland you would win a title. And then he said, you know what, We're gonna win a title before you do, Lebron James, which was you crazy?
Speaker 2: That was cootl hilarious. The funniest part of it.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like Lebron was like, hey, I'm leaving. He didn't know where Lebron was gonna go. It was like, I'm leaving with Chris Bosh and to join d Wade and he's like, yeah, Cleveland's gonna win a title for you, okay, And so they did. He he and they did win two titles, and he decided for some ungodly reason, I don't know, Lebron James, being one of the best humans on Earth, says you know what, I will go back to Cleveland. I will win a ring for Cleveland. That's just one of the craziest for stories.
Speaker 2: I love it to.
Speaker 1: Go back to the guy who said all of those things and he has zero interest playing for him, and he's like, I love Cleveland so much that I'm going to go back just to get them all ring and I am going to get the fuck out. So why on earth would Dan Gilbert be mad? I don't know. I don't know why Dan Gilbert would be so petty still now that he has gotten a ring from Lebron James probably will never get a ring ever again. What is there to be so salty about? Don't know. Maybe Dan Gilbert is just a prick. But Baron Davis then tweeted this, he decided to comfort Gilbert's neck when Drummond was rumored to be bought out, right, So what did h What did Dan Gilbert do? Because I guess Baron was on the calves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was after the Mo Williams trade. It was Blake Griffin's rookie year Clippers. So uh, Baron Davis said, Uh, I remember, Dan Gilbert sent a message to me. He wouldn't let me out of my deal if I went to play with Lebron. Facts. He knew that where I was going. So they played hardball. He said, if I went to play with Lebron, he would win a title. I told him Lebron gonna win one anyway.
Speaker 1: And he did. My gosh, yes, Dan Gilbert. It was Baron Davis that was gonna stand in the way of the Miami Heat getting a ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Baron Davis is gonna d up Dirk, Like, what.
Speaker 1: Are we doing here? This though? Is Dan Gilbert in a nutshell to me? Like the funniest thing is like the guy's gone and you're doing everything in your power to make his life worse. Like Dan Gilbert. To me, Marty is the girl. We'll call her Dan Yell right instead of Dan. He hooked up, got lucky with the hottest guy in high school, right, Like somehow, some way locked into this continuously gas lit Her boyfriend told him, You're not shit, You're never gonna be shit. You could only be with me. This is only gonna work with me. And for seven years he put up with it, and then all of a sudden he was like, Wow, there's this hot girl in Miami. She wants me, She's got a job, she's got good culture, good family. I wanna go and hang out with her. He leaves, and Danielle just goes full ham on Facebook, starting tweeting things away, starts talking about his mom, starts talking about things that aren't even true, showing up at his job, and you're like, oh my god. A public life letter aka the Rets, turning all the family and friends again against them, saying, you know what, you're never gonna shit without me. You promised me, you promise me a baby. And then you know what, after he with that other woman has a couple of kids. It works somehow, some way, the family, the friend, someone got into his head and they were like, you know what, maybe you should try to make it work with Danielle. Maybe you should just go back there and see, you guys have been together for a long time. She was your first. Just go back there, see if you can give her a baby. Just see they reconcile him. You know what. Yep, they have a baby together, and then Danielle proceeds to be one of the worst baby mamas of all time. Just still, after they break up, he leaves, of course to go to Angelo, right the City of Angels, and she continues to just wreak havoc at every step of the way. Still, Sophie still try to fuck up his life for no reason whatsoever, doing everything that she can to make his life worse. This think about this Marty, a billionaire, a billionaire doing everything he can for no reason, to make another billionaire's life worse, to thwart the plans of another billionaire. He just wants to be happy. He wants to be in love, yes, right, he wants love. Couldn't find love with Dan Yelle. Found love in Miami, found love in Los Angeles, went back to his home to give the love to his city, which he did, and Dan Gilbert just still doesn't is not satisfied with that. And let's just say this, do you know, I don't know if you know this, Marty, but like this is not even a fraction of how bad Dan Gilbert is. It is not even close in his lowis moment, Go google quick and loans Justice Department. When you get a second, go down that rabbital. It's gross. It's gross. How gross is it's It's about as gross as a basketball smoothie will taste. If Dan Gilbert blocks Andrey Drummond from going to the LA Lakers, that's how gross it is this league. So March twenty fifth, the deadline, Marty. Yeah, got a couple of weeks and you know shit is about to pop. We have now going to skip the question segments all together, just so that we can cover all the rumors that are circulating, some of the wild ones, some of the most fun ones. I think the most fun one is about the most trash team. This is probably one of the most absurd stories that I've heard. Worst team in basketball, Houston Rockets. It appears that they are having a fire sale. Everything must go. Everything they said, everything's happull That's what happens basically when you lose the last thirteen games going into the All Star break. Jake Fisher, some reporter says that Raphael Stone the GM is quote unquote starting to call around on everyone, starting to pitch his little shopping cart filled with all of his players, like who do you want? Olivipo likely gone. Appears he's looking for a max deal, and he's rehabbing in Miami right now, so you know he's probably in Miami. He actually might be the one who started that group chat being like, hey, I'm doing a little redhab actionly trying to come PJ. Tucker also looks like he's gone okay. It looks like he either wants to go to any contender Bucks, Nets, heats Lakers, Philadelphia, Nuggets, Wolves, and but what was crazy is that that the Rockets were only gonna let him go at one point for a first rounder or three second rounders. How delusional is that PJ.
Speaker 2: Tucker is thirty five or thirty six.
Speaker 1: How he's thirty five and he's shooting thirty one from three?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, people don't realize how old he is because he spent six years overseas before.
Speaker 1: He came four and a half rebounds compared to six and a half. I mean, his book price is just plummeting, and they're like, give us a first rounder. Fuck you, No, nobody wants a thirty five year old guy for a first round pick. I'm sorry, we want PJ. Tucker, not at that price. John Wall also likely maybe once out if they have the fire sale and he's the only one left, Like James Harden, Remember what James Harden said, that could happen very fast with John Wall. Get me the fuck out of this place. All the supporting cast on the block, Daniel House on the block, Ben Macklemarn Sterling Brown, John Tate, and it appears that no one's saying. No one is untradable for the Houston Rockets. And the funniest thing was what one assistant GM said that Houston is going to burn the house down.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Yeah, this is gonna be a completely new team next year. Yeah that that feels like it's on. That's the trajectory for it.
Speaker 1: It's just christian Wood. Good luck, christian Wood. Houston's a beautiful place in the summer right here. So then let's move on. Let's move on. It's not it's actually a ship home. Next we move on to the unusual case of Kyle Lowry. I've been saying this, You've been saying this. Everybody's been saying Kyle Lowry to the Sixers right. House is sold in Toronto and he lost money on it. He lost money on a house. Okay, that tells you things. Things are happening. When you're losing money on a house sale, you're out. You want to move it fast. You're looking for a new place in a new city. Bill Simmons and Risillo spilled the tea.
Speaker 2: Did you hear this team on their latest part or yeah?
Speaker 1: That he has been running around telling Kyle Lowry has been running around telling everyone that he's getting traded for a month now. And then Lowry came up on ig and was like, Hey, the lies people telling them me are amazing. Do not put a thing out if it didn't come for me. Matt sounds like salty balls because then he also said Toronto will always be my home. Toronto will always be my home, which also means you're out of the door. No one says like James Harden said that right when he left. Yeah, Houston will always be my home. And it's like you're in Brooklyn right now. He also then said he also then said, I want to retire a raptor, even if it's on a one day contract.
Speaker 2: That seems like you're out the door for sure.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Also, Nikola Vucevic, another name on the trade block, gotta be one of the most desirable names that could possibly be trade right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. In terms of actual production, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: He's averaging twenty five twelve and four, shooting forty one percent as a big man from three and he has two seasons left on his contract. I think everyone everyone wants Nikola Utavic, and especially Boston. His stock price right now is hoigh high high. The Magic says we don't want to move him, but really you don't. Are you sure you're the Magic? You're not winning any time soon, anytime soon. We also know LaMarcus Audres is on the move. Your boy Greg Popovich said that he's gonna try to work something out for LaMarcus because he's been good to the franchise, so he's not gonna play him. Here's the little spin. Here's a funny spin. When Detroit and Cleveland don't play their stars, they're a shitty organization, right because and then when Popovich does it, it's like he's being good to LaMarcus. He's like, LaMarcus, you've been so good to our team. We don't want to see you get injured. We're gonna sit you out when you're healthy. And everyone's like Pop is the best. I love Pop. It's like the exact same thing. And then last night they went six minutes in the fourth quarter without scoring, and they because they had a healthy scratch LaMarcus Aldridge sitting on the bench, and everybody's like Greg Popovich is the best. That's the medium for you. Also, let's talk Celtics for a second, because the Celtics are probably the biggest team that's been swirling with trade rumors since the beginning of the season. Right, Trader Danny's gotta do something. Trader Danny says he's gonna do something. Trader Danny needs to do something. Here's some Barnes. They just keep saying, here's some Barnes, here's some Barnes. Kings are asking a lot for him. They say that they want to use Tatum at the four, Harrison Barnes at the three line up flexibility. Great, Harrison Barnes is on a team friendly deal. I think he makes twenty this year, eighteen next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, something like that. Too much.
Speaker 1: And Celtics fans, I hate to break it to you, but the key centerpiece of this trade Marcus Smart. Marcus Smart might be traded. It's either Robert Williams or Marcus Smart. And I tell you who I would want to buy was the kids. His name is not time Lord, his name is not Robert Williams.
Speaker 2: If Robert Williams.
Speaker 1: Loves report native Robert Williams can't make a flight on time, Robert Williams, I tell you what if Marcus Smart ends up getting traded, the victory lap will be nonstock. I might say it on every single episode. Hey, by the way, just like I said, need to move on from Marcus Smart, you did, and you're gonna be better for it because now you have Harrison Barnes. Anyhow, Celtics looks like Celtics look like they want LaMarcus Audridge. They're looking for a big man that can shoot. Larry Nance Junior is also on the radar. They're high on Jeremy Grant, which they will not get. Everybody thinking that they can get Jeremy Grant.
Speaker 2: It's just a certain I don't know why, Like it's having a career year in his first year on a new team that they really don't have any other assets to be proud of, Like I don't Yeah, no, there's no way they're getting.
Speaker 1: Rid of him anyway. The TPE, we'll talk about the trade player trade a player exception, not going to use it until the off season appears. So Boston is big trash. They need to make a move. I hope they trademark smart just so that I can be right. I don't know, Mary, Boston has a problem. The problem is that they had great players and they traded those players away and they got worse players in return, or they left in free agency and they and they didn't get anything for them. Would you agree that that's.
Speaker 2: The problem They've got several problems. Their rosters just constructed really weird. Uh yeah, I don't know, it's hard to pinpoint, but yeah, no, they had not been managed particularly well the last like season and a half.
Speaker 1: No, we're going to be keeping a close eye on these rumors. There's going to be every single week, every single day, it feels like something else is coming out. So we're going to be keeping an eye. We will update you more on next episode in advance of the March twenty fifth deadline. Let's move on. Yeah, I'm feeling myself. I'm feeling myself because we talked about Nate McMillan as the interim head coach. My initial instinct was this is terrible. This is a terrible decision. And I said, you know what, as a woman in the media, they will flame you if you are not bringing facts coming with scats, numbers, hard data. They're gonna be like, you don't know basketball. So I said, okay, I'm gonna go off and do some research, read a bunch, go back into the history books about his time as a head coach, and you know what, I feel the same way, feel the exact same way. So my original feelings were pretty much spot on. So I'm feeling myself. Let's get into it. Zero point one. This is what we know. Nate McMillan does not want the head coaching job of you Lite. He does not want to be a head coach in this league because I believe this is me just my belief is that he knows he's in over his head and he's not good at that job. That's what I believe. I know that he does not want that job because he said he reluctantly took it and he had to be forced into it by Lloyd Pierce. Lloyd Pier's like, YO, just take the job. Just take it for the rest of the season. You don't have to even have it after the season is over, Okay. What we also know is that Nate McMillan has a reputation, a reputation for being very slow, for being very methodical, and he is now the interim coach of one of the youngest, hottest, precious, fastest teams in the NBA. I would say those two facts are almost everything you need to know unless you're me, So I have to give more data. So what we also know is that Nate McMillan he can get to the playoffs, and he can't do much more than that. In the nine years that he's been head coach, how many times do you think his teams Marty have gotten out of the first round.
Speaker 2: Ooh, it's not zero.
Speaker 1: It can't be no zero, it's not zero one two, it is one. It's not two, and it's not zero one. Oh my god. So he was a head coach in Seattle, head coach in Portland. This is how I know him. I know him from Portland. I am intimately familiar with Nate McMillan in Portland. Like, this is a guy who told Brandon Roy walk the ball up. Let me say it again. This is a guy who told Brandon Roy to walk the ball up even if there was a fast break opportunity, even if the other team missed the shot. Can you imagine walk the ball up? I mean, what what is this? This is like in twenty and twelve. In twenty twelve, the average points per game was ninety six point three. The Blazers scored like eighty eight points per game. He was always below the league average in pace. Every single time he's the head coach, his team is like the best that they possibly have been is twenty fourth ranked in pace of play. They're always the bottom in points per game two, they're the bottom tier in pace and points. That is gross. And what we know is now that's kind of like where we're going, right. The NBA is fast paced, needs lots of points. Offense. There was just an article written about the Brooklyn Nets changing the NBA because it's all offense all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean the Mike D'Antoni Sons, that four h five, like seven seconds or less team. I think if you if you took them and put them in today's NBA, they'd be like twenty seventh, twenty eighth in pace. Like it's changed that much in just like fifteen years.
Speaker 1: It's gross. Nate's most here's a fun fact. Nate's most two most successful years, the Blazers finished dead last in pace of play. Yuck. He got fired. Why because guys just weren't listening to him anymore. They said he lost the locker room. Yeah, no, sh you're dead last. No one, no Hooper in their right mind wants to walk the ball up to half court. Not even when you're six, not when you're twelve, and certainly not when you're a pro player making million dollars a year and somebody hits the ball off the rim and you're like, yo, I can go out on the fast break. Don't get feel good right from the shorties on the line. So yeah, he went from Portland and then somehow, some way he bamboozled his way to Indiana. Larry Bird said that the reason that he fired Frank Bogel was because he wanted to play a faster style. Frank Bogel was like last an efficiency and he wanted to have a more efficient and fast offense. I'm sorry, fast pace doesn't always go with efficiency. It needs to be noted that Larry Bird resigned after he hired Nate McMillan. That very next year he resigned, So wasn't a great idea all of that to say. Now he is the interim head coach in Atlanta. In Atlanta with Tray Young, Cam Reddish John Collins, the team that was scoring like one hundred and thirteen points per game. How many points do you think that they're going to score now in the second half this season? Oh my god, you're talking about John Collins who said, I'm tired of a drill sergeant. I'm tired of this authoritarian guy who's not listening to us, and you hired your interim head coach whose nickname is Sarge. What are you guys doing? Trav Travish like has to know all of these things. He has to. If I know them, he knows them. This is the decision making that I don't understand. That is puzzling me. These guys are constantly saying to Lloyd Pierce, the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks, Hey, we want to play a more free flowing style of offense, especially in the fourth quarter, like let us kind of rip and roll and read and react, and then they hire Nate. Were they listening? Were they listening to what these players wanted at all? John Collins, Trey Young, Cam Reddish. If you don't think it can get worse for you, it can. You don't like discipline, get ready for wind sprints and push ups and suicides F five am when you didn't walk the ball up on a fast break. The question that I have is is there a worst coach to replace Lloyd Pierce than Nate McMillan. If you tried to find one, I don't think you could. This better be fucking temporary Atlanta. Holy shit, but the only good news that I have for you and me, Marty, is that it creates a great opportunity for gamblers. I have two words for you, folks under City this League. Oh that's all the time that we have for this league. Please subscribe, rate review on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. It makes a huge difference for us. We also have This League hoodies on sale at the Barschool Store. Thank you for listening to the remote podcast of this League. I have no idea how this is going to sound. We may even have to re record this later on tonight. I don't know, but things will be back to square one Monday afternoon. Thanks for listening, boy, See you then.