Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We have an emergency fill in the blank, PAULI the emergency fill in the blank team and coach.
Speaker 3: Moments ago, minutes ago. Blank has been fired by Blank. Okay, Blank has been fired by Blank.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Girod Mayo had already been fired by the Patriots. Correct, Okay, the Giants there, everybody's coming back. Colts, their owner, Jim Irsay put out a statement everybody is back. The Jacksonville Jaguars have fired Doug Peterson. Okay, all right, well we figured that that was going to happen. But uh, I guess the biggest news giants keeping their staff, the Patriots after one year getting rid of Gerrod Mayo. We'll talk a little bit more about that. The Broncos are in, Bengals Dolphins out, the Buccaneers are in, the Falcons out, and the Lions last night, thanks to their defense, have the number one seed in the NFC. That was the big surprise last night. I knew the Lions would score. The question is how many would they let the Vikings score? And they shut him down. They did a great job. And Chris collins Worth kind of hinted at this. This is where you hear something in a production meeting on Friday or Saturday, where maybe Aaron Glenn, the defensive coordinator for the Lion, says, Hey, we're bringing some heat. We're going to go after Sam Darnald. We're going to make him uncomfortable. You can't just sit back and let him have time because their receivers are too good. Because Collins were said that at the beginning, he thought they were going to go after Sam Darnold, and they did, and they had ten quarterback hits last night. I was listening to Dan Orlovsky in the ESPN radio earlier and he said he thought, that's Sam Darnald left five touchdown passes out there on the field. So the Lions did get the win, they got the number one seed, You got an extra week with your players. Certainly that defense has been banged up, but give credit to that defense because they did put a lot of pressure on Sam Darnold. All right, Seaton, what's pole questions? Start out the first hour? You got a couple of more surprising pole questions. Okay, uh, more surprising This is from Paulie more surprising Broncos are in the playoffs or the Bengals are not well. Okay, I'm going to go back Week one and what did we say after the Bengals lost to the Patriots. I said, there's every team. Those teams that don't make the playoffs, you can usually go back to one game and go, hmmm, that one's going to hurt you. And that's what I said after they lost to the Patriots. I sat on that Monday, and you're the Bengals. You're not Tom Brady's Patriots where you can use the first month of the season as the preseason. This is the problem. They treated that game like it was a preseason and the Patriots beating the Bengals in Cincinnati. But if you're going to lose your first three games, look, would I love to see the Bengals in? Yes, I would, But they didn't deserve to be in. They played great at the end of the regular season. If this was college, we'd probably look at them like South Carolina. Man, they're on a roll. You don't want to face them. Well, this is in college. You lose your first three, you let the Patriots beat you in Cincinnati. I would love to have had the Bengals in, just esthetically to watch them play and Joe Burrow Jamar Chase. But Denver played better, more consistent, the defense was good, bo Nicks did a great job, and Sean Payton reclaimed his status as one of the great coaches in the game. But yeah, Denver to me was a better team. Cincinnati might have been a better story for the overall picture of you don't want I don't think anybody's say it, man, you don't want to face the Broncos. I would say that. I mean, you got to defense, travels. This is a good, solid team. Now, did the Chiefs basically roll over? Yes, they did, But I think they were a consistent team, a good team. Patrick's er ten is, you know, maybe steals the defensive player of the year work and Bonnicks played really well. But you know that's one of those where hey, Buffalo and they get Denver. Well, I don't know if I when you get to this point, it's one game. Are the Bills better than Denver? Yes, but it's one game and that's all you're asking for. Give me a little bit of magic here, Fritzy. Congratulations, your Broncos are going to the playoffs.
Speaker 5: How about that? Thirty eight nothing against all of the backups now, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Are we convinced that the Bengals would have a much more challenge, much better chance of being the Bills in Denver? Are we comfortable saying that I wish it was the Bengals because that'll be a better game and Denver's gonna get rolled?
Speaker 5: Is that what the average person thinks?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Why don't you go around announce the average person?
Speaker 5: So I'm going to take a poll outside. I'm gonna do a kind of walk around with a microphone.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of average people in here, just to ask everybody. The poll question is who would you rather have in the playoffs? The Bengals or the Broncos? Is that the question?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think a lot.
Speaker 2: Who's more threatening?
Speaker 5: Right? Which would be a more competive and.
Speaker 2: The Bengals are more threatening. It's only because they have Joe Burrow and Jamar Chase. So you got the leading pat when's the last time you had the leading passer yardage wise, passing touchdowns, You had I think the leading sack guy, and you had a receiver win the triple crowd. So Trey Hendrickson, I think he had fifteen sacks this year. What was it, Paulie. He finished with seventeen and a half. Okay, so seventeen and a half. Quietly seventeen and a half. And then you have Joe Burrow and you have mar Chase, and then you throw in Ta Higgins. That's exciting. Denver doesn't have that. I mean that offense doesn't blow you away with name recognition. But I don't think Sean Payton cares about that. And uh, you know, I got a factor in Sean Payton with his ability to coach as well guest hut No, you gotta.
Speaker 6: Love Benito and certain And then you got Vele out of the Blues doing some stuff with Sutton.
Speaker 5: They got they got some weapons there. I didn't love the fact that they do.
Speaker 2: Those guys are on defense.
Speaker 5: I'm just talking about in general as far as people that are like, oh.
Speaker 2: But I was, I was talking about offense fair enough. I was talking about Joe Burrow, Chase fire Path.
Speaker 5: I'm just like shocking.
Speaker 2: You don't usually refer to uh de facto players as weapons.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: When you don't have weapons on offense, you got weapons on deeper.
Speaker 6: I just don't like the narrative because we love the word the narrative that, oh, Cincinnati, Buffalo would have been great.
Speaker 5: This is gonna be the blowout. I forget this as we'll put the Bills into the digital player.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, what are we doing right now? We're not going to do this the nobody once says, nobody believed in us. We're not doing that. No, are you calling for the win in Buffalo?
Speaker 5: You know what? You put me on the spot. The Bills should win that game, they should win comfortably. But wait, you don't. I believe the Broncos in one game. Anything is possible. Buffalo should win that game.
Speaker 2: We know it's possible because they are in the game. You know what's not possible. The Bengals can't beat the Bills. I just checked.
Speaker 3: Yes, they can't beat them. Yes, the Bills are giving nine to the Broncos. I could check with Vegas on what the line would have been if the Bengals were in the game.
Speaker 5: M I'd be curious about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bengals would probably be uh five point underdog maybe maybe something like that. But are we we or they?
Speaker 5: We are definitely we?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, congratulations, it was a very good year.
Speaker 5: After they lost to the.
Speaker 6: Charge and Bengals, it was more day, but then after what happened, Yester, we're back to Wick.
Speaker 2: And you're not a front runner. By the way, one hundred and forty one games were decided by seven points or less. That's tied with twenty twenty two, the most in a season in NFL history. Woo stead of a.
Speaker 7: Day, stand a day stand OUTA day.
Speaker 8: Stand outa day, this is the style of the day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Lamar Jackson finished with forty one touchdown passes, four interceptions. That's never happened before in NFL history. At least forty and fewer than five interceptions, and he may not win the MVPG. The Lions, they were extremely balanced, but not as balanced as the Bills. They're the first team to have at least thirty passing touchdowns and at least thirty rushing touchdowns in the same season. Never happened before. The Lions were one rushing touchdown short of becoming the second team to do so. I look at the Lions. You want to talk about being all in because you're gonna lose probably both your coordinators. Aaron Glenn defensive coordinator, Ben Johnson offensive coordinator. You're all in. I talk about these windows of opportunity, like San Francisco's window it might have closed, and it felt like it's wide open. You got a you know, mister irrelevant with that contract, you got your signing, everybody, you're keeping everybody, Brandon Ayuk, you got McCaffrey, Debo, Trent Williams, you got it, Bosa, everything's gonna work. You got a great coach GM and then maybe you don't. And this is where you get that three to four year run and then all of a sudden it starts to slip away. Detroit, this is the year. This is the year. Considering everything you have now, I also look at this team that you got Hutchinson coming back, Jamir Gibbs is wonderful on a rookie contract. You got Montgomery coming back, Golf is signed, Amon Ross, Saint Brown is signed, got a good tight end. You've got a culture there with Dan Campbell. So this should extend for a couple of seasons. Should And then you got Buffalo that I thought their window of opportunity closed, and now it just feels like this is a true solid, starless team except for the quarterback there, and I think that's that's been a benefit for them. They had two Pro Bowl players. I think that's a true testament to a team playing great football. Yes, marmam, And.
Speaker 9: I think for a franchise like the Lions, all you need is one Super Bowl title.
Speaker 4: You don't need to go on a two to three year run. All you need is one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the Cubs, you win all of a sudden, it's like you've changed the entire national outlook or viewpoint of the Lions. You've changed everything. Now it's not hey, I'm a Lions fan, It's I'm a Lions fan. All it takes is one?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So is that the poll question? Who would be more threatening in the playoffs? Seat and the Broncos of the Bengals? Yeah, we could do who would be more threatening? I kind of like, who would you want?
Speaker 10: But yeah, there's definitely going to be a Broncos versus Bengals poll question for sure.
Speaker 2: But I don't want you. Oh woe is me? Nobody thought we'd be here, Todd. We can't do that because it's a great story. You didn't think they would be here, so you can't go nobody's giving us a Jace.
Speaker 6: That's fair, and most people thought they'd win four or five six games maximum.
Speaker 2: They played great, that defense was really good, and yes, did the Chiefs roll over. They did, But you know, I wouldn't have put it out of the realm of possibility that the Broncos would have beaten the Chiefs if they wanted to or trying to win that game. Yes, see, So just.
Speaker 10: So we're clear, Todd also thought that they wouldn't be there yes this year, and while he doesn't like the narrative that we should just advance the Bills to the next round, he too thinks the.
Speaker 2: Bills are going to win.
Speaker 10: Yes, despite the fact that he doesn't like that narrative, yes, that you should give the Broncos a chance, he thinks the Bills are going to have advance.
Speaker 6: I think the narrative is that they're going to get blown out, and it's hard to predict the Broncos to win that game, but I think they'll keep it competitive.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you just were saying that nobody thought you guys could be there. Nobody's giving you a chance. They'd rather have the Bengals. So you're feeding into all of.
Speaker 6: This because I and many saw something in the Broncos that we didn't think we would see during the course of the season.
Speaker 5: Who would think that bo Nicks would have not gone No?
Speaker 2: But you don't think they're no. You don't think they.
Speaker 5: Have a chance to win. But if if I had like bed a million dollars on it or.
Speaker 2: Something, they chance because they're playing the game.
Speaker 5: In one game, anything could happen.
Speaker 6: They almost beat the Chiefs in Mahomes, the great Chiefs team trying to win the re Super Bowls and with blockfield goal in the last second.
Speaker 2: Reason, you're the one under selling the Broncos.
Speaker 6: I don't like that everyone. I don't like that other people are undersung. They're all that the Bengals game would have been a lot better and want to see Nicks.
Speaker 2: And it would and it would have been. It would have been more interesting to have Joe Burrow and Jamar Chasin.
Speaker 6: Maybe interesting, but not necessarily more competitive because it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, make up your mind. If you're all in that, you're gonna win, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: Twenty seven twenty three.
Speaker 2: It took me fourteen minutes to get there. Twenty seven to twenty three.
Speaker 5: The Bills should be ten and a half point favorite.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin, that's that was a lot for the first segment. Forgive me, Yeah, I can't work this hard, Tod not to start the week a lot?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's only fifteen minutes into Monday.
Speaker 10: All week, all week Monday, Todd.
Speaker 2: I know, are we gonna hear this all week long?
Speaker 5: I'll settle down, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeart Radio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You could catch us.
Speaker 11: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Ross Tucker CBS Sports Westwood One and a host of the Ross Tuncker Football Podcast. He was on the call for the Texans and the Titans yesterday on CBS, and he'll be working Steelers Ravens Saturday night and then Sunday he's got the Packers in the Eagles. The man is always working. Let me start with the Titans here. Is there any chance now with the number one overall pick that they won't go quarterback in the draft.
Speaker 9: The only way I can see that, Dan, is if they really like one of the other options. Maybe that's Sam Darnold, and they want to pay for them. I think that's tough though. That would surprise me.
Speaker 2: You know, does stay another year?
Speaker 4: Was that Levis?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Would they give him another year?
Speaker 4: No? No, I don't think so, Okay, that would.
Speaker 9: I mean they sat him down at two different times this year. He started the year, then they sat him down, he had injury whatever for a few weeks, came back, had a couple of pretty good games, but then reverted back with the turnovers that. I don't think that they will do that. I mean, if they did that, if Levis came back, there would be a veteran of some significant, some consequence on the roster with him, like a Sam Darnold, like someone that you could sell to the fan base as a legitimate starter. I just think when you get that number one overall pick, and we showed it five times during the broadcast yesterday, you know how bad teams the people put the bags on their head, Dan One guy had a bag on his head, but on the front of the bag was a picture of Shador Sanders.
Speaker 4: That was what was on the front of the bag.
Speaker 9: So I think you get the number one pick, I think people want you to take a quarterback, whether that's cam Ward or Shador Sanders or whoever.
Speaker 4: That doesn't mean they're going to.
Speaker 9: I think it's really hard not to because the fans get so excited about being able to have your pick number one guy, despite the fact that people are not in love with this quarterback class.
Speaker 2: If you're Dion, do you want will you let your son go to an organization like the Titans.
Speaker 4: It's a really good question too.
Speaker 9: You know, they had a pretty good track record and history of winning for a long time.
Speaker 4: You know, when I was playing, they were always good.
Speaker 9: Even Vrabel had them going for a couple of years. They've been down there, like I think it's three straight years with at least ten losses.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I guess the way I look at something like that is what's his other alternatives that are so much better?
Speaker 4: The Raiders the Giants? I mean, I guess the answer is yes, I don't.
Speaker 9: You know, maybe the Raiders and Giants have bigger fan bases, or you know, better tradition over a long stretch, or whatever branding.
Speaker 4: Whatever you want to look at.
Speaker 9: But if you look at the way they've been run lately, I don't think they're any better than the Titans.
Speaker 2: Well, I was wondering Carolina or the Titans better organization moving forward.
Speaker 9: Well, I guess I would say Carolina right now because of the way Bryce Young played the.
Speaker 4: Second half of the year.
Speaker 9: I mean, it looks like they have their quarterback, which is just fascinating. I mean, he was bad bad as a rookie. He wasn't just bad, he was bad bad, and then even earlier this year he was still not good. I mean they went to Andy Dalton for a reason. There's a lesson there. I think that maybe we need to have a little bit more patience with these guys, Maybe we need to give them more opportunities. I mean, just think about Dan Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold. Both of those guys are on their fourth team and they both are definitely top fifteen, arguably top ten starting quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 4: They both had.
Speaker 9: Tremendous, tremendous years with their fourth NFL teams after being top five picks. So would that have happened to Baker State and Cleveland or Donald's day with the Jets. We don't think so, Probably not, But it still should tell us something, inform us something about maybe being more patient, Maybe you should.
Speaker 4: Give these guys a third and fourth chance.
Speaker 2: Fell in the blank next season Aaron Rodgers will be.
Speaker 9: Starting at quarterback for a disappointing team. I think that would be the way I would describe it. I don't think anybody wants him to be their quarterback.
Speaker 4: You know, you go down the list.
Speaker 9: I think they'd rather have Donald In free agency, I think some of them would rather draft the young guy. I think Aaron Rodgers almost becomes like playing c at this point, and so a franchise that strikes out in free agency and or doesn't have a chance in the draft to get the kind of quarterback they really want, there will be a a desperate times call for desperate measures franchise out there that will bring in Aaron Rodgers because they know they have to win this year.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's funny. I don't think they'll.
Speaker 9: Do this, But the first team that came in my mind Dan is the Giants, right like Joe Shane and Brian da Ball have to win this year. I'm a little surprised they're both coming back. I thought Dabell would, I didn't think Shane would. But they have to win this year. I don't think that the Merra family would want them to bring in Aaron Rodgers, but if you got to win.
Speaker 4: Where else are they going to get a quarterback.
Speaker 2: He can keep his house, have to move. We're talking to Ross Tucker, CBS Sports, west Wood One. He'll be working sideline Steelers Ravens. That's Saturday night and then in the booth for the Packers and the Eagles on Sunday. This game for the Steelers. How important is this?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I know Mike Tomlin, they never have whispers or rumors that he could be fired or they move on from him. But if they're one and done again in the postseason, and this is a Hall of Fame coach, but when's the last time they won a playoff game? Twenty seventeen and Russell Wilson's future, what hinges on this outcome this weekend?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's gigantic. I think it could impact.
Speaker 9: Both guys, certainly Russell Wilson more than Mike Tomlin. And I'll say this too, if Zay Flowers can't play for the Ravens, that is significant. I think it sounds weird to say this. Dan the Steelers at least to need to make it competitive. I mean, they were non competitive three games in a row there during that streat where they had to play the Ravens, the Eagles, the Chiefs, it was clear that they were nowhere near that level of those teams. I don't think they need to necessarily beat the Ravens, but it's got to be a classic Steelers Ravens game that comes down to the end. I'll say this too because I live in central Pennsylvania now, Dan like Hershey, right, So there's a lot of Steelers fans here, and I talked with them in Pittsburgh too. There is no greater disconnect in the NFL than how people feel nationally about Mike Tomlin versus how Steelers fans feel about Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 9: Steelers fans want him gone. They've won him gone for a while. They do not think he's nearly what the rest of us all seem to think he is. It's really fascinating because, and you can say about a lot of fan bases not like this. I mean, it's like whole are opposites when you talk to Steelers fans about Mike Tomlin versus any other person about Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the national conversation and analysts are very careful what they say about Mike Tomlin Nationally you know, it's always great respect. You know, he wins, they always have winning records, they make the you know all of these things. But if you're a Pittsburgh fan and you have another one and done, as much as you may love his demeanor and his approach and tough guy and he won a super Bowl, and you know they don't fire, I mean, after a while, you know, I got to start. I have to at least question that you know.
Speaker 4: That, well, look, the streak of winning records is impressive.
Speaker 9: And the two things that he gets a lot of credit for, and rightfully so, we love hearing him talk.
Speaker 4: We just all like, we just love his quotes. We love hearing him talk.
Speaker 9: And he's won a lot of games with quarterbacks that are not not elite, not even close to elite. But even think about like the playoffs, right, you go right down the line, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, even CJ. Shutt, Russell Wilson is not in that category that they have not had a guy in that category to go toe to toe with, even a Justin Herbert obviously Joe Burrow. They don't have that guy and they haven't since been with it was healthy and in his.
Speaker 2: Prime, what are the Patriots doing.
Speaker 9: That's a little bit of a head scratcher to me on multiple levels, right, because think about the conviction you have to have in a guy to name him the successor, put that in his contract to put him out there for a year. And it's funny because most fan bases Dan when you say bad things about their team, they don't like it. But when I did the NFL Network game last week when they played the Chargers, I said the truth, which is they probably have the word roster in the NFL.
Speaker 4: They probably have the worst O line, probably the worst.
Speaker 9: Receiving corps, And even if you want a nitpick, they're at least in the conversation there. So when you start with that, I'm a little surprised that Mayo would only get one year. I actually would would probably have made a change with the guys making the personnel decisions before I would Mayo.
Speaker 4: And here's the thing that's really they need to be very.
Speaker 9: Careful of, right Drake may looks really good and made a lot of progress that year under Alex Van Pelt, their offensive coordinator, despite the fact that they might have the worst O line in the worst receiving corps. Yea, So now you might be stunning his progress.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: It's it'll be interesting to see who.
Speaker 9: They hire, who is calling the offense, because I really think they're at a point right now where everything decision you make should be what's best for Drake May because he is the franchise. I'm not sure moving on from Van Pelt, movie on from the coaching staff is what will end up being best for Drake May, but it looks like it's what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Can the Lions replicate what they did defensively last night against Minnesota when they get to the postseason.
Speaker 4: Man, I hope. So that was awesome. I am so happy for them and their fans.
Speaker 9: You know, with all these injuries, I probably said to you a couple times over the last couple of months, and I thought it's just too much for them to overcome. And I think if they had lost last night, it would be right. Three road playoff games. I don't see that happening. But now now they only need to win two home home playoff games. That is different. Getting ANZELONEI back was gigantic. They have excellent safeties Kirby Joseph and Branch, who they now moved to Nickel. Aaron Glenn called an incredible game and they have a legitimate chance now to get to the first Super Bowl in franchise history with the way they played on defense last night. No wonder Aaron Glenn is getting all these head coaching interviews.
Speaker 4: That was masterful last night.
Speaker 2: How was it locally? The reaction was Saquon Barkley not playing in this regular season finale with a chance to become the all time single season rushing leader.
Speaker 9: Well, this will probably surprise you then that this would be the case in the city of Philadelphia. But it was very polarizing, very polarizing, right. I mean they talked about it on the local radio all week, and you know, the interesting thing was the quotes from some of the guys. You know, even if you felt one way or the other, when Saquon said, you know, my dad was the most upset because it would have meant a lot for us to have our name in the record books forever, you know, when you heard them talk a little bit, but then he kind of backed off of that a little bit.
Speaker 4: The problem is, you know, and I realized the other.
Speaker 9: Guys would love to be a part of the record too, but you're not gonna put them out there with the second string offense line, and so then you got to have Lane Johnson at like thirty four to thirty five. You got to have those guys out there, And I think Sirianni made the right decision. The only way you really look dumb. And I love history, and I love Saquon and all that stuff. The only way you really look dumb is if you lose one of your best players in a game that has no significance whatsoever. You're locked in as the number two seed, and then you don't have those guys when you're playing the Packers on Sunday, who are one of the better teams in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Good to catch up with you, safe travels. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Of course, Thank you, Dan appreciate it, Ross Tucker.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: W app Let's bring in Albert Breer, the Monday morning quarterback, who joins us on the program. Well, let me start with the Patriots. You've been close to this situation. Why are they moving on from their coach who was a coach in waiting for good five years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I think, you know, really it kind of relates back to the end of the Belichick era, the state the roster was, in the climate in the building when they fired Bill, and you know, like how you know, there were factions, and you know, like the the fact that they put that clause in his contract, the succession plan in his contract, I don't think made anything better. So like it forced the Patriots to go to Girod Mao probably a good two three years before he was ready, certainly before they intended to. And I think the where the building was in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three made it so Belichick wasn't going to help mentor Mayo and help him fill in the gaps that that would be created by his lack of experience. And so, you know, I still think the Crafts really liked Girod Mail. What Mail thinks of the Crafts anymore, But I do think they still really like him and think that he'd have a bright future in coaching. But it just like based on the way they're set up, and they're set up for a coach to have a very strong voice in so many different areas. Because the way it was set up under Bill for so long, they weren't able to support him with the roster, they weren't able to support them with the infrastructure, and I think that led to a disorganized mess over the last couple of months, which led them down the road where you know, there were a couple of games there at the end where you just could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think the lost Arizona a couple of weeks ago, always won, and then obviously that Saturday loss and a standalone game to the Chargers might have been the flashpoint because clearly, going into the game yesterday they knew what they were doing, or else they wouldn't have had a statement, you know, ready to go less than an hour and a half after the Bills game ended.
Speaker 2: But you're also not going to make this move unless you know who you're coaching waiting is I would have.
Speaker 7: So no, I see, I think they'd be I think they'd be making a mistake if they if they approached it that way. And here's why I say that, Dan, I think last year they really cost themselves the chance to take a look at the way the rest of football works, and they hadn't had the chance to do that and so long because they haven't conducted a coaching search in so long, you know, And so you know, really if you look at it for over twenty five years, as all these other teams that were stumbling all over themselves got a chance to interview people left and right and see the way the best organizations in football were doing it. The Patriots were really insular. They didn't really bring in a lot of people from the outside, and they didn't have the opportunity to see inside other organizations through an interview process. And then last year, I mean, they rushed Drodmeo into that role, and the same thing with Elliott Wolf after the draft, into the EVP of player personnel role, and you know, I think they really cost themselves a chance to lay across the league. And you say, like, Okay, maybe you do know who it's going to be and you don't want to go through a sham of a process. Well, you can't tell me. The Chargers didn't know in November or December that they were going to target Jim Harbaugh, yet they still looked at what was at twelve fifteen head coach and candidates, ten general manager candidates. So they went through a full process and got to learn a lot of stuff about things worked with other teams, the way things worked with other teams, and Jim Harbaugh and Joe Ortiz, who are running the team now benefit from the team having gone through that. So I do think they're going to run a full process. Frabil is obviously a name that's going to be at or near the top of their.
Speaker 2: List to begin with.
Speaker 7: But I would think that the Crafts are going to let the process take take them where it goes, you know, and you know, we've been down this road before. I mean, Pittsburgh's a great example from two thousand and seven when they move off the Bill Cower era era. You know, caw Or retires, and I think everybody everybody thought at that point it was either going to be Ken wizen Hunt or Russ Graham, who had a ton of background with the organization. But they go through a full process, they meant to it, and they wind up falling in love with Mike Tomlin. I wouldn't rule out something like that happening here, although I think clearly Vrabel is the the the leader in the Clubhouse, and you know, I think that it would behoove them even if it does wind up being able to go through that full process.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: You got the Raiders situation, yep, and you got the Cowboys situation. Do you see changes in either of those locations.
Speaker 7: I think the Raiders are still up in the air. There's been a lot of momentum going in the wrong direction over the last couple of months, you know, and and and where they are and what sort of voice is Tom Brady gonna have in this? You know, the opportunity maybe to get somebody like Rable because of Brady, you know, I think would entice ownership there. And you know I I I think that they they they've had to look at the last couple of years and the way things are gone, and now with some of the changes in ownership, is their influence on on Mark Daves to do one thing or another?
Speaker 4: You know, I think we'll find.
Speaker 7: Out over the next three or four hours what will happen there. The Cowboys are fascinating because we all went through it, you know, five years ago, and the way they dragged their feet on Jason Garrett, it was that was so weird. You remember that damn like the way all that worked where Garrett was employed, but like they're really gonna move on, and so Garrett's still working there, but they're interviewing people. The same thing could happen here because you know, Mike McCarthy's contracts up the same way Garrett's was. He's got relationships in the Saints organization for example, right like he and and McKey Loomis were together there I think it was five years and mackey Willmas's first five years with the Saints when McCarthy was there working for Jim Haslett. So there could be opportunity outside that Mike McCarthy wants to take a look at the Cowboys, could take a look on their you know as well. And I think one thing that complicates the whole thing is, you know, not only do you have to drop a new contract for Mike McCarthy, so it's not like you can just kick the can down the road for another year. That's also the I'm told with their entire coaching staff, everyone is up, so you've got to read you got to drop new contracts for the entire coaching staff as well. So that's gonna be an interesting one. That's you know as as you might expect from America's team, a little complicated, a little complex. And that's another one. You need to hear Rabel's name a lot. But that's another one that I have heard Rabel connected to.
Speaker 2: Tough to handicap Aaron Rodgers. But if you were going to if I said, Aaron Rodgers next year will be blank, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think he knows.
Speaker 7: I don't think the Jets can tell you what their plan is until there's a head coach and general manager in place.
Speaker 2: You know, would there be a market for Rogers outside of the Jets.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think somebody, somebody would take a look at it, like I look like, do I think he is what he was three or four years ago?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: Do I think there's a possibility that you'd be getting a very motivated Aaron Rodgers if the Jets wound up dumping him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean I can remember talking to Aaron about this in July and August, right, and he said to me, I didn't like part of my reasoning for coming back and going through everything that that it takes to go through to get to the point where you can play quarterback in the NFL. In twenty twenty four was coming off the Achilles, and I didn't want to go out like that. Dan, do you think he wants to go out like this? Like this is worse than the Achilles, isn't it? Like if like everybody would understand if you're going if you're forty years old, you're going out with the Achilles, Like everybody understand that like this, this is like going out like this is worse. So you know, I don't think he knows what he's gonna do, but I I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what what would you say? Okay, now I can go out, Like if you're Rogers, I know, Hey we went to nine and eight and we didn't make the playoffs. Now I can go out.
Speaker 7: Look, there could be there's the possibility that he goes through the contemplation of you know, all of this, and he he comes out of it and says, you know what, I just can't put my body through it again. I don't want to go through what it's going to take the next six months to position myself to play football at forty one years old. That's certainly possible. I think it's also possible that, like he has a Brett Farv hair across has asked the way that Farv did when the Packers let him go, and and and you could see like a Vikings year for far from from from Rogers somewhere else, Like I don't think that that's impossible, that you know, like maybe one last time he wants to come back and put everything into it and say, this is my last year and I'm gonna I'm gonna do everything I can to be in position to play. And some team out there looks at it and says, this guy could be a bridge. How would he look at Pittsburgh? I don't, I mean serious?
Speaker 2: Okay, how would Mike Tomlin deal with that?
Speaker 7: David? But how would he deal with Russell Wilson? He dealt with Russell Wilson?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, But I don't think Russ is as much a diva as Aaron Rodgers is.
Speaker 7: I don't know. I mean, I think people that have coached the two, that have coached those two might disagree.
Speaker 2: Russ gott Humbolt. Russ truly got humiliated in Denver.
Speaker 7: Right and and I think to some degree Rogers has been with the Jets too. I look, here's the way I look at it. I think this there's going to be an environment out there with quarterbacks, right, I mean he go to Cleveland too. I look at like this as like, if you're a team that needs a quarterback right now, and you know you're looking at the draft, are you do you love Schador Sanders? Do you love cam Ward?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 7: I feel like this year's class and the draft is closer to the twenty two class, the picket class than it is.
Speaker 2: The last team.
Speaker 7: So if you're a team that says, like, okay, like we want to get a young quarterback, but we need something to get us by for one year, wouldn't Rogers appeal to you, like just the chance of what it could be was a motivated Rogers is going to come back and show everybody like I don't think it's the worst idea in the world, you know what I mean? And I will say this for Tomlin and Pittsburgh, like he showed a remarkable ability to deal with whatever personality comes his way. I mean, we didn't know that Antonio Brown was a problem until like the very in Pittsburgh. Think about that, you know what I mean, Like we didn't know who he had in that receiver room, you know, like at the time he had Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace and Emmanuel State's big personality's Le'Veon Bell at running back, Like I mean, how he's managed George Pickens over the last few years. I'm not willing him to Pittsburgh, but I'm just telling you, like, I don't think that part of it would be as big a problem for Tomlin as it might be for another coach.
Speaker 2: Right final thirty seconds, rock Perty's yearly contract will start with the number blank.
Speaker 7: Four or I think they will find a happy medium. And I think I think like Brock is Brock's a team guy. Now, I have heard some stuff that his dad's experience as an athlete might affect the way he approaches this a little bit. The Niners are a really smart organization, and they're going to be turning the page in a lot of different ways, and they're gonna have to make some tough decisions on some veteran players like Deebo Samuel over the next few months. So I would expect the Niners to take an early swing of getting this done. Remember when they resigned Jimmy Garoppolo. That happened in January, so they were very aggressive with Garoppolo. I don't know if they'll be quite that aggressive with perty. But if it's going to get done early, I think it'll get done at something that's a little less than the top of the market.
Speaker 2: Tyreek Kill next year will be back with the Dolphins or.
Speaker 7: It doesn't sound like it, right, It doesn't sound.
Speaker 2: Sounds like he wants to move on Chiefs. Oh they bring him back?
Speaker 7: I mean, I mean that would be that that would be the classic move, right The Chiefs have already started. I have already done these things that they brought Oh yeah, Juju Smith Schuster was gone for a while, Kareem Hunt. Right, Like, it's like what the Patriots used to do. You remember they they lost, They traded away to Dion Branch and brought him back. Bill loved that, like was like, all right, we're gonna get all these assets for this player, and then three years later he's going to come back home and play for me again. Wouldn't it totally make sense if Tyreek Hill wound up back on the Chiefs next.
Speaker 2: Year, Kareem Hunt, they brought him back, yep.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I mean like they've got the sort of program that can absorb it, and god, can you imagine, you know, Tyreek Hill and Xavier Worthy running downfield for homes next year. I know Hill may not be exactly what he was, you know, even last year, but the idea of bringing him back at a little bit of a discount I think would probably appeal to some people in the Chiefs organization, and I'd imagine for Hill. For Hill himself, it might put a nice capstone on his career.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy. Thanks for making time, you got it.
Speaker 7: Thanks DP, and I appreciate the flexibility today too.
Speaker 2: Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Tom Kerrn, NBC Sports Boston Insider, Hey, Tom, how are you today?
Speaker 12: A little bit feel a little bit like Casey casem here with that longest dedication.
Speaker 2: Of my dad a dog named Snuggles.
Speaker 12: I hope he finds peace with both his dog.
Speaker 2: You know what, that's gonna That's gonna fix it right there, Tom, thank you for helping well.
Speaker 12: You think you gave neither thoughts nor prayers, which is to be expected.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year, Dan, Hey, Happy new Year.
Speaker 4: You let me go.
Speaker 12: I thought it was January fifth.
Speaker 2: I let you go because I think you're trying to find happiness because of what's going on with the Patriots there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Jirobmeo was truly safe until December began, and it was such a rapid decline, and it was an on all fronts decline. You know, the Crafts beginning the season said we expect to struggle. I hope we don't struggle. We expect we're going to struggle, and they ended up with four wins, which I think if you said, on the face of it, Okay, it's gonna be a tough year, you're gonna win four games, they wouldn't have boked. But the nature of these last four games, the embarrassing loss coming off about Arizona followed by a decent representative effort against the Bills, followed by what could have been a fifty to nothing loss to the Chargers really kind of sealed Jirodd's fate. And it was also the messaging around those games where a postgame press conferences were sometimes disjointed with you'd come out of them with more questions than you went in. So he was strapped to him, he was strapped to a runaway train, I think with this roster in this team, so they the move.
Speaker 2: But we just talked to Albert Breer and he brought up something interesting I had not thought of. Is they put this language in Drod Mayo's contract, so he was the coach in waiting, and then maybe they realized that he might be the coach in waiting, but he shouldn't be our coach now, maybe that the job was a little too big for him. What do you think of that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it was hope against hope. And I think that the Patriots have operated really and I've said some people block and they say they won the Super Bowl with twenty seventeen. They have operated with a lack of urgencies for the better part of six seasons.
Speaker 4: And there has been very.
Speaker 12: Much a tendency that Bill fostered and oftentimes it worked and then towards the end it didn't. And the Crafts have followed suit with we'll see how it works out. We're gonna try this. We'll see how it works out. You know it happened with with Brady. Well, he's moving on. I mean, we're pretty smart here. We'll see how it works out. Didn't work out he won the Super Bowl. You know, McDaniels leaves, We're going to elevate these two guys. What pretty smart people. You know a lot about football. Patricia and Judge will be fine. I'm still here. We'll see how it works out. Didn't work out, and then the Crafts I think in moving on from Bill a year earlier than they wanted to because he had a two year deal. They wanted to continue. They wanted him to set the record here, but it became so untenable with him that they moved on. And I think with Girod they saw a terrific leader, a smart guy.
Speaker 4: Who needed seasoning.
Speaker 12: He was put into the position before he got the seasoning, and the tenor of the season was we'll see how it works out. So they need to be more urgent. I really think Dan that making a move within an hour of the games end, when there was so much uncertainty whether or not a move would even be made, shows the urgency.
Speaker 4: I think that they're feeling.
Speaker 2: Do you make this move if you don't have that coach in waiting. Granted you have to go through the process here, but do you think that they made that move knowing who they're going to hire.
Speaker 4: I think they.
Speaker 12: Made that move knowing who they are going to pursue and feeling safe enough that the interest will be reciprocated.
Speaker 4: That they might be able to move on.
Speaker 12: You can't just move on and then hire Bobby Slowick. Not that Bobby Slowick isn't a good candidate, but what ties does Bobby Slowek as an offensive coordinator in Houston havefter the New England Patriots. The Patriots, it's very important to them they have somebody who has ties. So the most obvious candidate would be Mike Vrabel. Rabel has always shown great deference to the Crafts in terms of what they built here, what this team's all about, and he would.
Speaker 4: Be the antidote.
Speaker 12: It was funny I heard Rex Ryan talking about why he would be a good candidate for the Jets today, and in saying so, he said, you need somebody to understand that fan base and connect with that fan base was taught. I'm not talking about x's and o's, but that's exactly what Rabel would do. In a way, I think that that Buil didn't like Rabel was excuse me, Mayo was the antithesis of Bill in some ways. They need somebody to split the difference.
Speaker 2: Talking to Tom current NBC Sports Boston insider, knowing what you know of Tom Brady, there was a report that came out Andrew Marshawn that Tom's probably going to be one and done, which would not surprise me, and maybe get more involved in the Raiders situation. But knowing Brady and how much involvement do you see him with the Raiders? And can you see a coaching change here?
Speaker 12: Well, that's a good question. I think Antonio, Pearson Gerard have similar styles. I am not close enough to know exactly how the ins and outs.
Speaker 4: Are working there.
Speaker 12: I think if they did make a coaching change, what's jermaine to me? And this I love you is the word Jermaine is that it immediately makes me think When you mentioned Brady, I thought you were going to say, well, they're going to go after Rabel, and I wonder if that would be the case. In the case of Rabel, I would think that Brady would see him as the best candidate out there. I think the Brabel is the best candidate out there for a variety of reasons, the main one being experienced. Durrod failed in large part because he didn't have podium experience and couldn't anticipate what he was going to deal with. Rabel is incredibly astute of dealing with that and being one person at the podium, being one person behind the scenes with the media being a certain way with everyone. So would Brady pursue Rabel if he could get him. Would a bidding war ensue coast to coast for the services of Brabel? I think that would be interesting to see. But I still think Rabel would be more amenable to New England just because he was here for ten years and understands this area as supposed to going all the way out to San Francisco and not knowing if Aidan O'Connell was his quarterback or Gardner Minshew, whereas Drake may is such a draw here.
Speaker 2: But I wonder if the Crafts are kind of.
Speaker 4: Doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Well, they've slowed the progress. Everybody's a genius. When you got the greatest coaching quarterback of all time, then when you don't, then all of a sudden, we're looking for answers here, And I like, you have complete trust in the Crafts that they'll figure this out, and all of a sudden you guys, restore the dignity here.
Speaker 12: No, I don't. And I've said that a number of times, and I spoke to somebody high up in the organization today and I said it very much reminds me of nineteen ninety seven when they moved on from Parcels. I hired Pete Carroll because he was the antithesis of Parcels and that team went from the Super Bowl out of the playoffs in three years. And then they brought in a major domo type in Bill Belichick, and it went beautifully. The Crafts, I think we're out of practice football wise. Bill had taken a hold of everything.
Speaker 4: So this is my stuff. I do this.
Speaker 12: This is my football team. You guys run the organization. That's your franchise, my football team. And people like to think of the Crafts as puppet masters, and I just don't think that that's true. They ask questions and they register their disappointment if things don't go well. But I don't think they're making football decisions and they don't want to. They need to get somebody at that friggin' level band who's making the football decisions. How do they know if their director of West Coast scouting is good or their SEC evaluations are good.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 12: So they need somebody above those personnel, people who can make those decisions, who can look at a wide receivers coach and say, my god, what are you telling these guys? We got three catches from our rookies this year.
Speaker 4: What are we doing?
Speaker 12: So they need that, I think. So they're in the wilderness right now. But the notion that they're cheap or don't care about winning, I think is bizarre. Given and that's pretty prevalent around here in New England. I think they care incredibly about winning.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't want jirod Meyo to be fired, but if it meant that I could have you back on the show, then he had to pay the price. There's an upside. Yeah, there's an upside to then.
Speaker 4: So Albert was in performing huh.
Speaker 2: Well, Fritzy, do you want to answer that with Tom Kerrn?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a change of plans at the last minutes.
Speaker 6: You know, sometimes someone's available at one time and then it's got to shift to another time. There's really no specific rhyme or reasons when everyone's available. It's not a list of top to bottom who's most important?
Speaker 12: Yeah, No, sounds sounds kind of like what the Patriots went through. Albert was available.
Speaker 2: You're our girod mal Hey, great to talk to you, all right, Dan, thank you, Bunny, thank you, buddy. Uh, all right, I could ask you about Bill Belichick. By the way, are you are you expecting Bill Belichick to be there for Wait? Why are you shaking your head?
Speaker 4: I'm not. I don't wait.
Speaker 12: I don't think he's gonna be there very long.
Speaker 2: Where's he going?
Speaker 8: I don't think it's gonna go great either. It's not gonna it's not gonna go the way people think it's gonna go. He's not gonna wave a magic bell of Chickie in one and have everybody. The portal was a real thing. There's no portal in the NFL. Those guys are gonna get yelled at one time.
Speaker 12: We're told they don't know where they're asked from their elbow and they're gonna be portal in Lake Maniacs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you don't have to, you know, be uh, you know, stuck with the salary cap or the draft. You know you can go out, you do though, No, there's no draft.
Speaker 12: Well, they want twenty million dollars for spending on these players. So you have to figure out how are we gonna spend money on these players? Who gets allocated the most money and.
Speaker 2: His That's what Michae Lombardi does for him.
Speaker 12: His eyes are going to be rolling like hidden balls when he sees over under one and a half years at North Carolina. Oh, that's a great one. I would say I would take the over, but if the odds are good enough, I would The smart bet would be over. But I could say under. I mean he's got an out next June. No, he's basically announcing if something better comes along, see at Chapel Hill.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Tom, thank you, goodbye.