Speaker 1: Now, the Shotgun Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start here. And alright, alright, alright, gentle mans, darn your.
Speaker 2: Greetings, and welcome to a Friday edition of The Shotgun Start. Late night Friday edition of the Shotgun Start. It is August seventh, Andy, how are we doing?
Speaker 1: Brendan doing awesome? What? What a Friday of golf? Who would have expected an MLV surge? Who would have expected this podcast? Would have expected?
Speaker 2: We've been MLV, you know, apologists fans for a long time. Here, we've been trying to tell the stories, sing the song of miche Lorenzo Vira, And here he is. It doesn't surprise me one bit. What does surprise me? You see his caddy? Who's caddy is pepsi? How is he allowed on the crowns? He shouldn't even I'm surprised they even let him in the gates. Do you have near assaulted people? He's a costing citizens, a costing Spaniards. Last time he was at this event, Pepsi, little Pepsi boy is allowed in there. He's gonna carry the bag for the PGA Championship winner at Harding Park.
Speaker 1: It might have endeared Pepsi to MLV. Is his disdain for Spaniards.
Speaker 2: How about Miche Lorenzo Vira, He's what do He finished sixth under, so he's two shots back. There ended up being a glut of guys at six under for a while there. MLV was pushing How Tom He's.
Speaker 1: Couldn't get a putt to drop down the stretch. I thought he was gonna thought he was going to tie the lead there.
Speaker 2: This is the benefit of we got Tiger. He's still putting on the green, his darkness falls. But benefit of having ESPN in this situation. And it's ten twenty eastern on a Friday night, and Ta Ronaldi is just fishing, throwing multiple lines chum in the waters. Has Miche Lorenzo Vira in studio trying to get him to tell the story about partying with women, drugs, tax issues like just this is not your everyday golf broadcast, just trying to get Michael Lorenzo Verra. Now, Mike kept it pretty, he kept it probably pretty PG for his whatever went on when he went into big debt. But I love that they were trying to get him to tell stories.
Speaker 1: Hey, I mean the MLV story time with MLV would be an incredible one. I think, you know, he's just such a character, such a colorful character and loved by players on the euro tour. What's the quote he's like, I went four hundred thousand dollars into debt because I made bad decisions and partying. So he he wrote a player blog for the European tour and it's on that so if you search Mike Lorenzo vera EE player blog. I almost finished last on the Challenge Tour in twenty thirteen, and I had almost four hundred euro of debt in France because of bad decisions, partying and being very generous to everybody around me. I had had one good year in two thousand and eight when I went around three hundred and fifty euro, but after taxes and expenses, there's not much left, and trust me, I spent it really badly. I never looked at my bank balance never, and one day the card stopped working and I called the banks, shouting at them, why isn't it working and they say, well, because you've got no money. Then I was trying to make cuts and try and bring the cash back in. But it was ridiculous. I messed up my taxes as well. Believe me, I've made all the mistakes. Unbelievable story.
Speaker 2: He didn't go into that detail, but I appreciate Rinaldi trying to fish it out of him. And that's part of why we love Michael Lorenzo Vera. He's got a little color, He's a little character to him. He's not some white bread, you know, Robot.
Speaker 1: So I love, generally love the French players like Victor Dubuis Son.
Speaker 2: Thomas Levey was great in his time. Yeah, now he does the broadcasting, you Douba Son is your mercurial.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure he and you.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't know that he loves it, loves the spotlight, maybe in the way some of the others do.
Speaker 1: I get. I guess some more MLF stuff we could save it for later in the show. Let's talk about other sand that bunker. By the way, I don't know that Damon alluding to that Damon sculled out of that kind of too. Eighteen. Duvall was asking about it. How good? How good is Daval and SVP?
Speaker 2: They're good, They're good, I think Deval, I don't know that Daval he's good.
Speaker 1: He's good at what he does.
Speaker 2: I don't think like he's at his He's ripten a lot better calling golf than I think doing the studio show or doing like the live front desk show.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Like he's really good getting in and out, popping in and out, Like, isn't that where he excels? Is he was number one player in the world. He's really good at telling you what's hard, what's what's a great shot and why? And uh, he's really good at that. I think he's much better at this than he is. And that's not to say he's bad at the other one, but he's he's a lot better I think at this.
Speaker 1: He says. SVP asked him something, Duvall I can't remember exactly what it was. But then SVP goes, well, and you would know because you're the you were number one player in the world, And like it was like a very it was a very good piece of insight. Towards the end of the telecast, and I thought to.
Speaker 2: Myself, talk about it, like fel though. Yeah, like he does these very yeah.
Speaker 1: But the thing with Feldos he never gives us anything like that that would infer that he was the best player in the world. Sure, sure, he actually gives insight.
Speaker 2: Well, my mother was making fruitcakes. We would That's the face I would make too, you know, that's what he says. Okay, how Ton Lee is your leader? Eight under sixty seven? She's sixty five. Then, like the story of the day becomes him just loitering around the range. Apparently people are just having a field day with it. He did go home though he lived, he's renting a house close and came back so that he.
Speaker 1: Did practice for like three straight hours though at least four. I mean, what Day said was crazy. He was at the Punny Green. I don't know if he had gone home in between. Do you think he went home in between them? I don't know. He had to have if that's when he went out. But he was there forever? Why why was he there? I don't know. I don't get it. He played, he played great, but probably one of the best rounds of his career.
Speaker 2: Well, this is just how maybe he operates, and it's foreign to the day and nuts of the world that I don't know. Maybe this is what puts him in the comfort zone. The problem is he's got all day tomorrow too, Like, what's he going to do all day? If he just was hitting balls at the he was a harding park for fifteen hours.
Speaker 1: Today it's a late tea time sitting around is just the absolute worst he plays.
Speaker 2: What a powerful game, you know, he just went low. Conditions were supposed to be tarder in the morning.
Speaker 1: But how about how tong getting into the mix. He hasn't been like involved in a golf tournament that I've like really cared about. Sent into the President's Cup, Yeah yeah, and then I just immediately the first thing I thought of was all the shenanigans from the President's.
Speaker 2: Cup, Ernie telling him to hit not hit driver. He didn't know the rules, didn't know like playing out order, all sorts of stuff just.
Speaker 1: Because his cat, his caddy, the strength coach or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, train physio, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Was a mess. Uh yea, I'm in the mix. He's a young talent.
Speaker 2: He's done a lot of damage on the euro Tour in the last four or five years.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wanted to talk about this now that you brought it up doing damage on the euro Tour. If this was a PGA Tour event and we did career wins and ran down the career wins list, if you know, obviously since they ignore PGA or anything that doesn't happen on the PGA Tour, the leader would in a major would have zero wins. The second place, you know, Fleetwood zero wins, day would have wins, Burger Kopka, Rose would have wins MLVSERO wins. But he has zero wins on the euro Tour and it's just zero wins. He has a lot of LNGE Tour wins, and then you'd have like Paul Casey two wins or whatever, he's got three wins. Sure, sure, Sure.
Speaker 2: Brendan Dodd had a big protect the points kind of day. I just steered the ship in, guided it in at even par really trying to protect the points, get it to get to the weekend, because make sure he has those extra that extra bucket of thundred extra points or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: What are your reactions from the day. It's a long day. It was a great day, great day.
Speaker 2: Do you got I expected a little bit more out of the afternoon group than I got a little hot at the end with Brooksy's Brooksy's bunker shot on eighteen just left me kind of panting, that was so good.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 2: And then he makes a pot too on top of it. Like I slowed down a little bit with that Marquee trio. They weren't all that great. They were kind of all over the place. Rory's you know, charging then booting it away. But the Brooks bunker shot really was like, all right, oll this guy, he's gonna win the tournament, He's gonna win the championship.
Speaker 1: What's going on with his his body, his hip?
Speaker 2: He says, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's rolling around on the ground.
Speaker 1: And Nike garb too. He's so eerily similar today, rolling around on the ground.
Speaker 2: Day, kind of letting it slip, Freud and sleep that he'd be on the ground while watching how Ton. He's like, I'd be on the ground. But I bet that amused you quite a bit.
Speaker 1: In his interview, I was I was doing something and then you know, he's got the interview going and I heard that and I immediately perked up. I was like, what he saying.
Speaker 2: Uh, Brooks is the favorite, right still the favorite. He's six He's in the group at six under. I thought, how tongue was you think? So he just played balls for seven and a half hours. It seems like a bad omen. What'suff going off in the background.
Speaker 1: I don't, I would say, I'd say Brooks. I kind of love Daniel Berger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have him in a one and done league. Like I had to like a Paulie. I was like down the list, I need to make a charge, So I took a Burger.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he you like him more as a favorite? No? No, but I mean Brooks has to be the favorite.
Speaker 2: How Burger's swing is? I have no swing coach, I have no eye for this. Like I just it looks very different, That's all I'll say. It's it's almost like he's just trying to, like, you know, throw it up there.
Speaker 1: It's not aesthetically pleasing, like an out of Scott's way.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable. You always wonder, like where the ball, how it's going to get close? But you think I think he and Brooks the are the two rose is somehow on my not another not another good poor week for for Ama. If he's in a major championship and their first major, big major chance, and there's roses out of his ama.
Speaker 1: So he's not hitting the ball great either. No, it's kind of like the US Open. He's hitting it a little bit better than he was there, but but he's he's kind of doing it with chipping and putting, which is not usually his amo. Speaking of putting mc.
Speaker 2: Zach sixty six, seventy six. See yeah, how about Martin Marty Kaimer.
Speaker 1: Well that was that was that was.
Speaker 2: Seventy six he would have taken, I think, but Zach, you know, I was watching the end. Is Mike Lorenzo walking off?
Speaker 1: Or maybe his chez Chimer shot eighty two? Oh yeah, yeah, sixty six eighty two?
Speaker 2: Why does why does the club Pro have to do the middle initial and not Zach?
Speaker 1: Why don't they Why don't they both have to do it?
Speaker 2: Well, you would think, you know, Zach be a Zach, being from Iowa, he'd be a little magnanimous about it and let the club Pro have the name. But there is I'm watching the Caddy bid. The other one's got to be Zach J. Johnson.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't.
Speaker 2: Understand, just because he wanted, but here'n that's not very you know magnanimous.
Speaker 1: If you saw Zack J. Johnson, you wouldn't know if that was Zach Johnsoner different Zach Johnson. Like nobody knows Zack Johnson's middle name. Sure, I guess, like if you saw Zach J. Johns, I would think of Zach Johnson any other week. Uh. Tough tay for Martin Kaimer.
Speaker 2: He had the triple and then just decided to pack it up and get the hell out.
Speaker 1: Of Dodge Bogey Bogey Bogy. But it's your boy, Juwe Young Kim, the husky boy.
Speaker 2: He missed the cut. Some good players missed the cut. But we have a great leaderboard. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: How far down the leaderboard would you go? I'd go down all the way to the bottom of the Big Bill, the bottom of h Yeah. Just because he battled, I really thought I was losing the bet to you with the speef big Bill that you know he was. He was four over at one point he was three outside the cut line. I was about to stop tracking Big Bill and uh, and then he had Birdie Barrage on the back nine. But all realistically I was I was thinking about it. Some my some of my buddies were texting me about best that I liked, and I said, I liked every I liked everybody from three up.
Speaker 2: Okay, because Tiger says somebody can go really low on this course. He says, he's still very much in it. You know if I drive it and hit it like I just did. Uh, you know he didn't put well, but he goes, he goes. Can I still win?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, golf course. You know there are going to be some big swings on the weekend, is what he said.
Speaker 1: So last year Brooks led by seven after two routes over over DJ and speed. This year we've got forty three players within seven shots of the leader. Okay, so I would I would agree that. I mean, that's the thing is somebody could go out and shoot sixty three tomorrow morning and just come out of nowhere and be two shots off the lead. I think ten under leads it tomorrow. Hey, ten under? Okay, what do you think Do you think that's a I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, there's a there's a lot of guys at six. You'd have to imagine like another one of them has a sixty six.
Speaker 1: There you're just discounting that. How Ton can't shoot sixty eight?
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, yeah, I think he's gone like seventy one or something like that. Uh, we got to give a nod to speak too. You're talking about Rev battling speek. You know, everybody's getting their shots off last night because he's on the range. Lady shot sixty eight. He got on the right side of the cut line. He gets in. I tweeted this, but watching Brooksy like just you know, sweep that ball out of bunker on eighteen to the top ridge, have it like kind of take a look at the hole and then make the putt, and then you have DJ and speed like moments later going the bunker on the right side and just short side themselves in the rough like not hopelessly like.
Speaker 1: Nowhere near the green.
Speaker 2: It was very sort of a snapshot of how these majors have gone, all elite talents at one point or another.
Speaker 1: But Brooks this is where he shows up. He gets it done.
Speaker 2: I know that's extrapolating probably too much, but it was a very stark contrast.
Speaker 1: Just you know, back to back groups. There just seemed to be putts in moments where you're like, you know what, like yesterday's round when he had he had like a ten foot around one for bogie. Yeah, and you're like, ah, this could be really bad if he makes double. Here he makes it. And then today even like on hold nine he had like a fifteen foot putt for par he makes it that, he goes to ten, he hits it to twenty feet for eagle, he makes another birdie and you're just, oh, he's rolling. He never loses seemingly loses momentum. He always is picking it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dovetailing off that rory. It's just like he starts throwing darts, you know, the drives, hit, find a couple of fairways, he makes three in a row, and then he just boots one up around the green, you know, ping pond. He put himself in a bad position to start. Then he has to you know the club rough grabs a club on his approach and he makes a triple and that's it, Like he's he's just not gonna You're not gonna win majors with triples, never anywhere, at any time, at any round. So it felt like he was sort of making a charge. He could have been in that like three four under group and then he just tumbles. So what other comments you got, yeah, are you worried about Brooks his health, By the.
Speaker 1: Way, I don't think so. I mean it's a little concerning, yeah, but I think it's I think he'll be fine. I really like Jason Day, okare as long as he can hit enough fairways. That if Jason Day hits enough fairways, he's got such a good chance. His short game of putting is just so good and it's such a good Major championship. I was looking up Jason Day numbers and he's at that ten year mark right now of when he kind of started, and it's pretty unbelievable. His major record, he's he's got four runner ups, he's one to one, He's finished in the top top twenty five, top ten of major, forty of the.
Speaker 2: Time, bucket at Augusta, you know, blaunch at Augusta PGA seems like a place he always does well. He could have won a balt to throw, could have knocked off backstopper there. He was like, really the only thing that the only person that made that interesting. So uh, but I think people he's just kind of been forgotten about and he's not, you know, he doesn't get the publicity that it's more fun to talk about speed. It's more fun to talk about jt Ricky all these other players. I guess I don't know DJ even day just sort of gets lost lost in the shuffle there.
Speaker 1: Him and DJ's major numbers are almost identical, which you'd never believe.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Days are just a little bit better. Actually, he's got more top fives, more top ten.
Speaker 2: Do you like watching him play? Do you like this style? Like the aesthetic and all that.
Speaker 1: Right, it's slow, he kind of he hits it. I mean, he hits lots of great shots, but he doesn't it's not necessarily it's not beautiful like when Rory's going you know, it's yuh, he'll hit it into the rough here Chip. It's it's almost like a mixture. He's like he's like Spieth and DJ to get combined, but like a lesser DJ and probably around the same part of speeth around the greens. You know, yep, yep. I love the.
Speaker 2: There's such an odd mix. It's an odd mix. Leaderboard, you got Cam Cameron, don't.
Speaker 1: Call me cham. How about this?
Speaker 2: Is this the kind of place he could win?
Speaker 1: This? He hits to dry, He's picked up already four and a half shots off the tee.
Speaker 2: Shot sixty four. That's a good number today, real good number.
Speaker 1: He drives, he's driving at three point fifty and straight and if he's long as he's not just dysfunctional in any other aspect, it's gonna be a good week. He's hitting wedgend every great.
Speaker 2: Uh Tony Finales kind of mixed it in the mix there. He was, you know, sort of a feature in the late afternoon. He's potting is so bad. Did you see a put on eleven around halfway there?
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about the worst part of the day. Yes, who was it? Ricky? Oh yeah, I've got.
Speaker 2: In the notes. Yeah, he misses the cut off of.
Speaker 1: That and his streak and just made cut streak.
Speaker 2: Do you think he did it in purpose on purpose? No, he's just done with this. He's done with like finishing Tea twenty five at Majors.
Speaker 1: Do you think he's sticking around at the house that he rented for the week and did with his buddies And we'll be hanging around the eighteenth Green on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Just gonna go like do some activations at the Golden Gate Bridge, get some pay some bills, doing that kind of stuff. I saw someone tweet like he just cost himself twenty thousand dollars with that stub. I was like, twenty thousand dollars. That's like the wine at dinner? What is he talking about? Rocket mortgage? Just didn't they just go public like he's raking it in, like, oh, he just cost himself twenty grand. He doesn't even you know, he wipes his ass with twenty grand, So, uh, what do you make of that?
Speaker 1: It just was preposterous. It's so funny to see, Like the shot tracker, he hit a putt from six inches one inch to five.
Speaker 2: Inches, so he seemed perturbed by the first putt. Right he goes and he's like tapping down.
Speaker 1: A mark And I don't understand this, tapping down Marx. It's legal to tap down Marx.
Speaker 2: So he was fussing around. He seemed discombobulated, out of sorts off of that one, and he like trips over himself and then he stubs the putter and that's it. I mean, you can't and he's Ricky because he's so he's always on Ricky Tour Live. Everybody's gonna see it, everybody's pouncing on it, and you're not saying he wouldn't be a man of integrity and admit it, and Joe was Scavron was looking right at him, but like, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's the difference.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the integrity thing with Rory, the overaction about him, like, look, ry seems like a man of great character. But the way we have an aggregation, there was an aggregation, there was a class aggregation. There's an aggregation of class comments about how he was so classy. It's like Pope Francis is gonna canonize Rory for saying, I don't think it was down that far. I don't think it was fluffed up that high. Now, I get it in the contrast to what we've seen recently from Bryson trying to get you know, create dangerous situations out of nothing to get a better lie, and you know, talking about the out of bounds line.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it that it looked it was a significant departure from recent weeks. But just the rush to shower him with such a class move, amazing move, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: He got a good lie out of it, and he flopped it on the green GoF favorite favorite thing to celebrate as gentleman.
Speaker 2: And I know, Yeah, it's at the professional level, it's overdone. I don't think that's always a bad thing, by the way, but I think we've kind of made it a cliche and that has no meaning anymore. We lean on that for no reason. But it was ridiculous the way that one article is just about people who tweeted about how classy it was.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous. What else you got? What else do I got? We're you know, we could talk about what's the worst case scenario here? Tomorrow? Worst leaderboard?
Speaker 2: Is that what you're by the Kim Trengali d Q texting with somebody on site or who had had insight into what happened, and he was playing with the assassin and they just on the Assassin, got him, threw him in Lake versa beside the run shortcard. So the assassin nickname is out there. No, what's the worst case scenario?
Speaker 1: Yeah, tomorrow one player just separates and his four shots ahead.
Speaker 2: Camp Champ airmailing it and just separate himself, crushing you know, uh, the beating the course into submission with another He shot sixty four today?
Speaker 1: Man? Is that out there again for him? I mean, it's so simple when you hit it three fifty and straight. If he's just hitting it, if he's hitting it three fiftieth straight all weekend, it's hard for him not to win.
Speaker 2: You know, well, what's the worst case scenario for everybody else? But the best case scenario for us? Would it be Todd Lanto?
Speaker 1: I think it's m l V Yeah, M Todd Todd would be That would be amazing. Do you think Todd sticks around?
Speaker 2: What do you mean lingers on the first page of Leader, Yeah, yeah, I do. I think he had his protect the points, get get over the cut line, which he did, and uh yeah, why wouldn't he not stick around because he's slapping it?
Speaker 1: You know, he would be a good burnt cheeseburger making a run Tomorrow would be eleven. He's played in the final around a final group Sunday pairing Vala. Yeah, exactly, played in darkness. It was kind of the marker. He was like a playing marker that that day. Didn't he make like a triple on the first hole or something something like that? Everybody was a ricky Phil and Roy. Uh. I think it's just crazy, is how open it is, how anybody has a chance really, you know, yeah, it's just such a difference from the years before. So anybody you're disappointed in today.
Speaker 2: I mean, what's going on with JT? He just wins Memphis. I love that stiner he hit on was at sixteen the driver able par four. That was really cool. I think sometimes JT gets sort of type cast as like the American bomber golfer. You know, he hits at high on soft courses. But that was a pre creative shot there. Tiger wasn't going at it. Tiger laid up out to the left. It was a really cool shot. But otherwise I think it's it's been disappointing. He seems to not have like distance control going at all. Like he seems short, it seems long, and we just watched him win Memphis and now he's struggling. Ry just I don't want to pound on him too much. He's the prince at this point. He should be in this He should be in this championship. Who's most disappointing for you?
Speaker 1: John Ram? Do you see the camera? What you didn't see that he freaked out on a cameraman? Oh no, so he I saw. I heard he broke a microphone or something like that was yesterday. I think. But then today there's a camera in. Obviously there's nobody out there, so cameraman are in a tough position because every move they make people notice. So one camera in was just moved a little bit and he hit a bad chip. Then he missed the putt and he went up after the putt and the cameraman of the TV camera was standing there and he got like right up. He just stuck his big trunk right in the camera in a camera view and blocked the camera. It was so reminiscent of of Bryson's caddy Tim Tucker what he did. Yeah, that's a shame obviously. If it was Bryson who did that, the everyday on the internet would have gone nuts. But it was, it was, it was. It was a bad look and he played pretty steak. I like to see more.
Speaker 2: From him, but I think he's a playing with Sergio on that Sergio osmosis from Sergio.
Speaker 1: It looks looks like he might play with Web tomorrow, so that might be a better pairing. You know, Webb is always with problem children, you know, and this kid, he knows how to do that. Foster a great round for for John rom There. He's a guy that's the perfect example of a guy. He could shoot sixty four tomorrow sixty three. Yeah, and he's right back in it.
Speaker 2: Shane Lowry snapping clubs over his leg. That amuse me. He's playing with Danny Lee.
Speaker 1: That's a.
Speaker 2: Marquis t t. How about this one twelve thirty local so three thirty Adam Scott colin Markawa. That's a good tea time.
Speaker 1: It's great teach. That's a good group. I hope they I hope they show us up. So one other they got j T and Spieth right, they were besties. The besties are together.
Speaker 2: That's at eleven forty eastern. So they're like the third or fourth group. Who's the player Marker, who's playing with Mackenzie Hughes. Oh, I thought it was gonna be with chess. No chess is with Charles the Chess Charles a reaction on eighteen. Yeah, he was fired up. He just got just got over the cut line. He must have gone up in the tree because someone sent us a picture of him with binoculars and his safari and his straw hat. They're like Charles hot Charles and Safari because he's looking up in trees at his binoculars, any anybody else, any other tea times jump off the page to you.
Speaker 1: Well you got bryceon Reed?
Speaker 2: No really, yeah, ah the gentleman, the gentleman, distinguished gentleman. Do a holy cow? Well they better show that one. What'd you make of Bryson today?
Speaker 1: Lost of lpouse early?
Speaker 2: Yeah, MLV is playing with camp Champ. I hope he doesn't, you know, get kind of spooked by the long drives.
Speaker 1: MLV pumps it. I know, but I mean, you play with camera Champ. He starts, that's not going to be something that flutters him. Camera Champ might get disturbed by the fact that he's gonna look at MLV and realize that he hasn't lived a tenth of the life that MLV has lived a full life. What did you think of the broadcast? ESPN?
Speaker 2: Any other comments saying what we said yesterday still stands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it was. It was great. I I really wish. One of the things that I liked the most was how we actually got an announcer that understood what people wanted to hear, and how Ronaldi was talking to Jason Day about how tong Lee like about him practicing. That was one of the most interesting post round interviews I've gotten in a while because they just in Jason Day, to his credit, was like, I don't know what he's doing out there, and he opened up and it was like, Wow, I like Jason Day more because of that, And I liked the interview because it was it was just hey, Jason, you're you're second place in a major. What are you doing well?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, oh I'm playing great golf, Like, yeah, what's your mindset?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've really outperformed your usual performance on tour? Why you know? It was, Hey, how tong Lee's on the range? How crazy is that? You know? And Jason Days, you know, I'm gonna go, you know, say something to him.
Speaker 2: McDonough It was awesome this morning with Bryce and he had the Bryson window and he goes when they broke the shaft, I thought he's gonna ask for a second opinion, you know, And then McDonough's just amusing himself by talking about like I wonder if what they told him he couldn't have it, what would happen?
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 2: That would have been fun to see, Like if you imagine hearing that on a PGA tour broadcast where they're mocking, you know, Bryson's approach with the rules officials recently, and that's what like this whole these last two days have really sort of dawned on me, is like getting some professional there's there's a big swath of there's an open field there between maybe having just been in it too long or getting in sort of a comfort zone where you're not relatable, to use your term last night, and like bringing on country singer, you know, Travis Upchurch who's got three million followers and influencer you know whatever, Vanessa Sky or you know, to do some mega cast thing, right like bringing in new voices that are prefers that also kind of you know, maybe Sean McDonough probably doesn't know as much golf as the guys who are doing the tour week to week. I'm sure he doesn't, but like they seem to be having fun, which made it so much more fun for me. It didn't seem rope, it didn't seem like a chore, it didn't seem like work. It seemed like a conversation that all of us have too. Like we mock Bryson as well. Everybody's joking at Bryson everybody's kind of put off by the way he's treated these rules. Officials just talk about it that way. You don't need to talk, you don't need to tap dance around it. And so like we we get in this this this dichotomy of like everybody's got to be the CBS crew that does it, and I'm not this is not a shot at them at all, but like.
Speaker 1: People who are in at week to week, or you need to.
Speaker 2: Be some live under par like Millennial a country singer, or somebody that's got a bazillion followers that is going to bring an audience that opens the stream for seventeen seconds in clothes is and any count as a viewer. There's a nice middle ground there, and I think we're getting it this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that exactly. It's it's so the broadcast is so much more. It's we're out of like Pleasantville. I feel like week to week is like Pleasantville. There's oh, it's the PGA Tour. Everything's perfect here and we we just start having a real conversation about the tournament this week with the telecast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great, but it also just feels more fun too, Like it makes me like it makes me want to pay attention more like I'm trying to hear what this being said because I'm amused by it. I'm entertained by it, and it just makes it feel more fun. And I gotta think the PGA is very happy with how this has.
Speaker 1: Gone, I would think so. Any other thoughts or to wrap it up? I got, I got some I get. Do you want some more MLV stuff? Sure? Sure? Sure? Sure?
Speaker 2: Is Ricky's pot the worst shot you've seen in this year?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if it's the worst shot. It seems like he lost his balance or something. Have you ever done that? No, I've like accidentally hit the ball like we're like, I've gone to like step up to the putt and hit it, Yeah, like cutting a pump down, But I had not actually gone back and like just flubbed it coming through. No, I can't think. I don't think I've ever done that. Yeah, I don't. I bet he hasn't done that. It's such a shitty way to miss.
Speaker 2: A cot, which makes me wonder if he took a diet he wanted out.
Speaker 1: He took just just a terrible way to mess a cod.
Speaker 2: All right, what's your MLV facts? You're added MLV facts.
Speaker 1: All right, so obviously I tweeted out the video of him him talking about he was being interviewed by Sky Sports after round drops. Yeah, he trust French, I can say what you know, and they say, well, you can't accuse that language. He goes, I'm French. I'm still learning. He struggled good enough to the tour to European Tour. He bounced back and forth. He went to Q School like five or six times, won a bunch of times on the Challenge Tour. Since like twenty fourteen, he's pretty much been a regular up there. He hasn't won. And it's like he got super emotional after his last runner up at the Sicilian Open. He like broke down in tears in a post round interview about you know because the you know, the the question was kind of like everybody's out here pulling for you, and you just basically you can't seem to get it done and uh and then he was leaning to buy yeah, and uh, here's what he said the next day. Last night, I was trying to get that amount of money out of my head, but it did not want to. So I accepted it and then went on the internet to see what car i'd buy if I want, Oh my god, and it would be a Ferrari F twelve TDS. That's just a five hundred thousand dollars your five hundred thousand euro car. So he also sat in that interview. I've played with with Macklroy a few times in competition, and I struggled with him in the beginning because I was trying to overplay. That was the game plan today. Don't look at him. He's going to hit bombs. He's going to hit incredible iron shots, sky high and stuff, and that's not my game.
Speaker 2: I love that he's looking up the car in the middle of the night before the final round.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that he's also disclosing it open. And then he was also very outspoken about the Ryder Cup in France. If you remember that.
Speaker 2: What's you have to say about that? An you think you got a spot here, deserved a spot. Here's what he said.
Speaker 1: If you say to people in France that you play golf, they will say no, but really, what's your real job. Golf's not a good thing here. People don't care about the Ryder Cup. Honestly, nobody knows there's going to be a Ryder Cup in France. Only the golfers know. That's it. There won't be many fresh here there. There will be many more from England or Spain. Golf is a very private thing for people in France, private courses for rich families and rich people. And that's it.
Speaker 2: I remember that we loved hearing that. It's like the lead up to the Ryder Cups.
Speaker 1: No one cares. So here's one last thing. So in twenty thirteen, he's sitting on a couch at home. This is so similar to this flashback Friday. Yeah, I guess this is flashback. Did you do a flashback Friday? No? No, I started, I got, I started, I was pulling, I was doing all my I've pulling all my MLV stuff because I do gotcha? What's the story became MLV? Gotcha? So in twenty thirteen, this is like John Peterson, but like a real version of the John Peterson story. Right. Yeah, I was sitting on a couch at home and he was really struggling at this point. This is when he had racked up all the debt. Yep. I was sitting on the couch at home and golf was on the TV. I was watching David Horsey and at a year tour event and he was going well, now this has nothing to do with Dave, but I remember saying out loud, how can this guy be doing so well? I was beating him and so many others before. Then my girlfriend looked at me and said, because he's better than you. I said, no, he's not, really, and she's like, where are you now? You're on a sofa, nowhere, nowhere on the challenge to her, and he's playing well in the European so he's better than you. That's it. This was from a girl that doesn't know anything about cop and I was like, she's right, So where do you go from there? That was it. I was on the ground, the bottom of the sea, and that was the moment that I decided to push myself to the surface. So I called my brother Frank, who's a golf coach, and asked him to help me to carry for me at tour school. So he wasn't even in the Q school final. He was an alternate. Okay, that's right. Then guy dropped last guy in yeah, yeah, and then and then he qualified. How about that?
Speaker 2: So now he's back. There's a guy to root for. San Francisco this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's another good quote. People want me to win more than I do. Every time I lose a tournament, I get stronger after that. So so you know what, I'll keep losing. What Kuy is a loose cannon. He's so. I love French golfers because they're so honest. Yeah, he talks in this I'll tweet out this player blog, but he talks about how he's mentally weak. Just steal three. It's amazing MLV, Sorry guy to watch. What's how to Shoot tomorrow? For you? Oh? Is he the leader? Fifty four leader? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, so today he's the first first leader ever after any major championship round from China.
Speaker 1: So what's he shoot? Seventy three? Oh my god? Okay, what do you all right? Yeah? I said seventy one like that? Yeah, all right. We'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Buy some right, yeah, buy some bispe coffee shotguns, start blend. We still got to do our draw for the subscribers, so get on the subscriber list, uh, and we'll be back. Enjoy your Saturday mornings, Enjoy your Friday nights. This is still late, you know on the West Coast and we'll be back again Saturday night.