Speaker 1: This is third down and one at the two yard line, a touchdown. Walks it off and off Kareem Hunt, Pike side Corray, he is give it time touchdown Child City.
Speaker 2: It's a lock off touchdown by Kareem Hunt, and the Kansas City Chiefs stay undefeated at eight and zero, the only unbeaten team in the National Football League. Fourteen straight wins for the Chiefs Kingdom.
Speaker 3: That was Mitch Holtis of w DAF at Chiefs are inevitable, thirty to twenty four in overtime.
Speaker 4: Kareem Hunt, he's inevitable. Patrick Mahomes he's indestructible. He can't get injured. And the Chiefs in overtime. You lose that toss, you're gonna lose. Chiefs stay undefeated. I'm Greg Rosenthal. This is NFL Daily and Nick Shook fresh off writing up the what we learned on NFL dot Com.
Speaker 5: What did you learn?
Speaker 4: Nick?
Speaker 6: I learned what I already knew about the Chiefs offense, which that's a slow, methodical, grinded out offense. It's gonna papercut you to death. But what I really learned is that occasionally they can impose their will on you up front and just run it down your throats for touchdowns in the biggest moments.
Speaker 7: We saw that tonight.
Speaker 6: As soon as they won the toss and overtime, you had a feeling it was gonna look a lot like that touchdown drive in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 7: That's exactly what it ended up looking like.
Speaker 4: Yes, and the overtime drive of the Super Bowl, and the overtime drive that haunts our producer Eric's nightmares against the Bills, and all the overtime drives as long as they're on offense, Chiefs fans don't like to be reminded of that twenty eighteen NFC Championship overtime. Sorry, I thought the ball control was really interesting tonight. And yes, this Chiefs team isn't as flashy, and we're gonna get to some new things like DeAndre Hopkins was such a big deal. But they had the ball for eighty three plays on Monday night the Bucks fifty two. The Chiefs had twenty eight first downs in this game. They dominated a time in possession forty to twenty five. We've seen that a lot. But what I think is different and interesting about this team is a lot of times these comebacks Nick have started by running the ball. They were down seventeen to ten in the fourth quarter of this game. They've actually come back at some point in the game in seven of their eight wins, and a lot of times it's the second quarter, it's the third quarter, and they actually come back by running the ball. They didn't run the ball that well in the first half of this game, but they had that drive when they were down a touchdown and they just got it going. And that interior line is just so good. And on a night where the Bucks pass rushers I thought did really well and I think Todd Bowles had a pretty good game plan defensively, it still did matter that.
Speaker 5: The Chiefs get it done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was interesting that Bulls approach shifted, and I understand why, because with an offense like this, you can't blitz them to death and force them into mistakes because they're not trying to throw the football down the field. You kind of have to sit back and trust your base rushes, play coverage and really worry about stopping the run, especially in the second half. So that was a bit of a surprise. But what was more surprising is the fact that the Chiefs were able to still make it work with that happening, and you're right. The pass rushers for the Buccaneers did a good job, especially in the first half, and then you get to the second half. You know, the Chiefs only put ten points on the board, and they look like they have for most of the season. They're unimpressive. That it's the reason that everybody gets on me about putting Patrick Mahomes so high. Oh, he's got more picks than touchdowns is what they said a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't matter because he plays within this offense at an expert level, and the Buccaneers just got a first hand experience with why he's ranked that high because he just doesn't so well he's almost impossible to stop. Add in Kareem Hunt, who goes over one hundred yards, which, by the way, it's great to see Kareem Hunt thrive relatively with the Chiefs again in a different fashion than he used to when he was there before. But you add that in and something they're that much harder to defend, and it just puts that much more stress on the Todd Bowles defense, and that's how you end up with a drive like they had in the fourth quarter that goes fifteen plays seventy eight yards, takes eight and a half minutes off the clock. I mean it was a death march of sorts, like they just play by play. I'm just watching them going, oh, they're just getting what they want in none of it's big chunks. It's Mahomes on a bad ankle throwing to Travis Kelcey on third down to convert, which, by the way, twelve for eighteen on third down. This is how you win football games when you're not seeing explosive This is.
Speaker 4: How anyone else wins football games. Twelve out of eighteen on third down.
Speaker 7: What's the difference.
Speaker 6: The difference Mahomes is the guy is operating this offense, which is why he should be regarded so highly even if the numbers aren't there.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad you mentioned that he did throw three touchdown passes tonight. So now he's finally over the touchdown interception threshold. He's now got eleven touchdown nine interceptions. That's an overrated stat to evaluate quarterback. It's okay to have there, but it's not It's not the one thing you need to look at. Look, he went eleven for thirteen himself on third downs with ten first downs, three touchdowns, you know, the only third downs that they didn't get. And it's interesting that overtime drive just felt so inevitable. These short passes and then the run on third and short to finish it. That was a five minute, fifty two second ten play drive that was actually a drive that was the fourth longest drive of the night by the Chiefs. They had three other drives that were longer. An eight minute, fifteen play touchdown drive that gave them the lead in the fourth quarter, a six and a half minute twelve play touchdown drive that tied the game, and then a couple ten plus play drives in the first half, one of which went for seventy yards and a touchdown and took over six minutes.
Speaker 5: So this is who they are.
Speaker 4: And Troy Aikman said on the podcast, just like they're an offense that they get into third and four, they get into third and six and if they need they get seven and literally, as he was saying it, they hit a first down just too easy. And Kelsey's funny. I mean, he he had fourteen catches, tying the career high for only one hundred yards. He's averaging like seven and a half eight eight yards per catch this season, and normally you see that kind of stat in an old tight end and you say he's washed. But that's just what they need and what they're gonna need in this offense because they don't have enough explosive plays, but they do now have DeAndre Hopkins. And just tell me kind of what you saw out of DeAndre Hopkins. He goes eight for eighty six and two touchdowns, and this offense just feels different with him in it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it does. What I saw wasn't much different from what I've seen from him before. It's the way they used him that was different. They were moving him around, they were using him within the comp like the restrictions of sorts or just the bounds of their offense. It wasn't Hopkins going deep save for that thirty five yard catch wud set up that touchdown. That was a masterful catch. I mean, that's DeAndre Hopkins as we've always known him to be, catching it in traffic two guys to set up a score. But otherwise it's short passes and he's there, he's making the catch. He wins a slant on the goal line. It's a five yard touchdown catch that the defender had no chance of stopping because imagine I try to put myself in the defender's shoes in that situation. You're one on one on the goal line with DeAndre Hopkins. You know that for the majority of his career he's running that fade to the back corner of the end zone. But against these Chiefs, it's a different story. So you know, the Aikman's like, you got to drive down and prevent that slant? Well, yeah, what am I going to cheat inside? And I'm gonna give up the fade that I've seen him catch a million times in his career. No, I'm going to try to react and I'm a step slow because it's DeAndre Hopkins. So what In his first game with them, it was quiet two for twenty nine. They still win the game, obviously, but this was like a bit of a coming out party within the bounds of this offense in that he can still find a way to make an impact because he's still such a good receiver and they actually know how to use him, and it gives Patrick Mahomes an option outside of the tight end group because since they've suffered those losses at receiver, they just haven't gotten much production out of receiver.
Speaker 7: It's just been all tight end short passes.
Speaker 6: And now he has another guy to go to that he can lean on consistently that will really not elevate this offense in terms of explosiveness, but elevate them in terms of options. Now he has other places to look.
Speaker 4: He was perfect for tonight. He beat He's his own beater and that's what they need. And on one hand, it's like, wow, we're adding another slow, big receiver to the Chiefs offense. But he's way better than any of the other options, like a Juju smith Suster whenever he gets healthy. And you know, they had great chemistry in terms of knowing what the other was going to do on that play that you mentioned, and that play where Mahomes steps into in a completely crowded pocket and throws it despite getting hit into a window that just you could tell the interview at halftime, Todd Bowles was so frustrated that play even happened. How many times does that happen in the Mahomes era where the coach is just like, I can't believe that habit.
Speaker 5: All we got to do is knock down that ball.
Speaker 4: But it's Mahomes and for a second I was like, Yes, this is the Mahomes we need to see more of, like the the making actual magic Mahomes, like exciting Mahomes. And he tried to uncork a deep pass later in the game. I forget was that one to Watson and I was like, Oh, the old Mahomes is back.
Speaker 5: But he was overthrown by four or five yards.
Speaker 4: But Hopkins gives a guy they can trust at a moment where they can't trust Xavier Worthy. If you watch that Raiders tape last week, he's just making mental error after mental error every week. And then he starts this game by basically giving up seven points by not knowing where he is on the field in a wide open touchdown steps out of bounds. Then he gets the ball one other time, and instead of continuing forward on what might have been a doomed trick play, he still stopped his feet and tried to change directions instead of using the speed and he might have been able to outrun the defender. He's just not making good decisions. Those end up being the only two targets he has in the game. So Hopkins comes in and he gives them what they need. They've been a bad red zone team all year, Nick, They're twenty fifth in red zone efficiency coming into tonight. Tonight four for four, Hopkins has two of them. Let's actually listen to Hopkins is second touchdown.
Speaker 8: Mahomes calls an audible and backs up behind Kreg Humphrey. Here comes the blitz, quick passes touch this side touchdown, towns on City doorn, Ryan Hopkins on the quick cleft side slam the second time De hop has tasted the sweet nectar.
Speaker 9: What the Chase Kingdom in Zone in the Chase League twenty three seventeen.
Speaker 4: The sweet nector of the episode. We're finally here, We're.
Speaker 1: Back, you know.
Speaker 6: And the defender's name is Josh Hazen there and you can see him little stutter off the line breaks inside, makes the catch. He fits in this offense so well because they are so methodical. What that I liken them too, is a bullet constrictor just squeezes its adversary to death. That's what they do. And I think that he works perfectly. Like you said, zone beater, find the soft spots in coverage. That's what the tight ends have been doing. Now you have another guy with a ton of experience and trusty hands to be able to get the job done working with you know, arguably the best quarterback on the planet. I just can't see a way which you stop them. If you know that the deep ball is not there and you're going to try to play defense short, it's still gonna be a challenge.
Speaker 4: What a trade and watching the DeAndre Hopkins in a good interview after the game with Laura Ruttledge of ESPN, I mean, he was so emotional, like we think, oh, this is another just win for the Chiefs. But he's been in Siberia for a while now. I mean that those Texans teams he was on early, they were good teams. He was in many meaningful games. He made the playoffs a number of times. Was only on two teams that actually won a playoff game, but Arizona that was a pretty dark run. He gets one playoff game there that the Titans, you know, as irrelevant as it gets, and he he was, you know, almost tearing up, saying words can't describe you know what this means to be I manifested it, you know, with my mom, we talked about this all the time, and I'm just going to stay present in this moment, and then right after that, Travis Kelcey's on with with Scott Van Pelt and he just says, like, what a difference having a guy like Hopkins adds to that locker room, especially some of the older guys like Kelsey or even a Mahomes like that, he has so much confidence and then seeing it's like those championship teams that add a little extra player to the mix. I had a not really well thought out tweet Nick that the Chiefs are doing the Patriots dynasty in reverse and they've now reached the two thousand and three Patriots team, and DeAndre Hopkins, in my mind, in this situation, is Corey Dillon, and they're just this team that's kind of like slugging you out. And it's a really good defense, but you know, the offense, it's getting better, but it's opportunistic.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this even makes sense.
Speaker 4: They're no longer like the two thousand, you know, seven or twenty fourteen pages, they're now in two thousand and three.
Speaker 5: But however, you're gonna win.
Speaker 4: I really think Hopkins has some intangible qualities here that really adds a lot to this season. Should we talk about Todd Bowles. Were you annoyed by Todd Bowles not going for two? They scored the game time touchdown, And yes, Bucks, we're going to fans, the ones that are out there like we're gonna give you some flowers. They're showing up every every week just about this season. Given great effort, they could have won this game. They get the touchdown with thirty seconds left after a great drive by Baker. Did you think he should have gone for two? Did he want him to go for two?
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 6: And this is the second time that we've spent a Monday night talking about a Todd Bowles decision at the end of the game that hurt their team in one way or another. Last time it was because Chris Gobin got hurt at the end of the game they weren't gonna win. This time, it's conservative approach, just to get to overtime against a quarterback and a team that you know and you just witnessed by the way is going to methodically drive down the field and squeeze the life out of you if they win the coin toss, So you essentially leave it up to a coin toss. Not a good call. You have momentum in your favor, you're in Arrowhead, you're on primetime. It's wet, go for the win, Todd, And I think that I hate to say this because I think that the Buccaneers obviously have a good chance to to battles for this division title with the Falcons. But as it stands right now, when I think about the Buccaneer season in full, with half of the season to go, I think about that moment against the Ravens where they lost their top two receivers, and I think about tonight as the two big flash points in this season where you're going to look back and say that defined our years. It was the decisions made by the coach in those moments that maybe will define our year. And this one, you know, you have to give him a pat on the back because I thought Liam Cohen did a fantastic job as an offensive coordinator of adjusting this offense knowing he doesn't have the verticality with those receivers anymore, knowing Kaydotten is your best pass catching option, and you have this three headed attack that combines for less than one hundred yards. They each go for like twenty ish a piece. None of them have a really good average. One of them is strilling Shepherd two for twenty one, like they're getting creative to stay alive in the run game. But they adjusted their offense well enough to still find success on a wet night on the road against the Chiefs defense that has been known to carry them to Super Bowl victories in the past. They made it a competitive game because of Liam Cohen and his you know, understanding of Baker mayfield strengths and how they can still move the football. So you feel good about that, but at the end of the day, you still lose a game that you could have won against the defending champs, against the team that's undefeated, and now you're four and five and you're just like, man, can we get out of our own way?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: And how about the Thursday night game against the Falcons. You know, it wasn't necessarily coaching decisions other than just Kirk Cousins eating up their blitz all night. But those these are three massive games in primetime where you really have a chance and the margins are so slim, and Todd Bowles is not winning on those margins, and the way he answers the questions after the game annoys me almost more than the decision itself.
Speaker 5: Let's listen, we.
Speaker 7: Want to get it to overtime. With the white conditions on the field, we felt like we had to go on overtime instead of go for two. So we had our shots. You know, we lost the game the day advice you have to go for two, what was no? We went for one. We took our shots, We had our chances all game. We just lost the game. It didn't come down today. It kind of did. It kind of did, like I kind of.
Speaker 6: It never comes down to one play, but you had the chance to win the game right there.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that whole sequence was both impressive and frustrating. First of all, half that drive was just Baker Mayfield throwing out routes to Sterling Shepard. Shepherd made a couple of great catches. Mayfield's timing was really good all night. I've been critical at times of Baker this year. I thought Liam Cohen, as you said, called a really good game. I thought he out coached Spagnolo. Yeah, it's crazy because the Bucks got way more quarterback hits. They sacked Mahomes four times without blitzing, and the Chiefs blitz quite a bit more. Didn't get a lot of pressure on Baker and there were open receivers and they moved the ball pretty well. Now, it wasn't evenly played game, like I said, like the Bucks defense couldn't really get off the field either. They were just dying a slower death. But they did a really good job of coaching. And I think Bowles just hasn't realized this is an offensive team.
Speaker 5: Go look at the DVA.
Speaker 4: Sign up for the FDN subscription over there at FTN Fantasy. The DVA tells you they're the twenty seven defense in the league and they're the number eight offense in the league. And oh yeah, well they don't have Chris Godwin and Mike Evans.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: They look pretty good the last two weeks. They just played quite well against the top five defense. This is not just about those receivers now. They'll be much better when Mike Evans returns. Unfortunately, they're not going to get Godwin back. But Kate Otten's making great catches in the offensive line. At this point, There's no way I could come up with five offensive lines that are better right now than the Bucks. They weren't perfect tonight, but they play well together. They have enough high draft picks. Everyone's playing well, and so embrace being an offensive team. There were three spots in this game where he didn't go for a fourth down conversion or could have been more aggressive. Two fourth down conversions in the two point so right before halftime, there's a fourth in four around midfield.
Speaker 5: It's thirty seconds left.
Speaker 4: You're in that in between where you don't want to give the Chiefs a chance, but maybe have a little confidence because you're not gonna win just punting the ball away. And they punt the ball away second half, they they don't go for it on fourth and two.
Speaker 5: They're at their own thirty eight.
Speaker 4: I know that's hard for Todd Bowles to like wrap his mind around in the year twenty twenty four. But they punt it away and the Chiefs are back on that thirty eight yard line on their way to scoring a touchdown, you know, eight or nine plays later.
Speaker 5: It takes them a while, but they get there. They score a touch on.
Speaker 4: You're probably not gonna stop him anyways, go get the two yards.
Speaker 5: I promise you can do it.
Speaker 4: And then at the end of the game I understood them not going for two a little bit more, only because Todd Bowles had already botched the situation by taking a time out when they got to the one yard line on first and goal, and Troy Aikman was all over this. You gotta let the clock run there. You just gave them Homes a whole extra possession. If the clock is running there and they end up running that play on second down, let's say with like ten seconds left, then I'd feel more comfortable going for two. You know that the Chiefs probably aren't gonna score anyways, it's even more worth the risk. One thing that you worry about going for two is that you can get the two and still lose the game with thirty seconds left, So you're almost in between a rock and in a hard place either way. Like, I just don't think it's playing to your strengths, and so it's just very frustrating. And everyone apparently who knows the Bucks better knew he was never going to go for two there. Ryan Fitzpatrick tweeted it out like with two minutes before they even got to that point, there was like, there's no way Todd Bowles is going for two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's my concern with them going forward to is that this is a defensive minded coach for the defense that doesn't stack up. So for him to force himself out of his traditional ways, which is all right, let's tie the game and lean on the defense. You can't do that when your strength is your offense, like you just said, and not going for two there. I don't care if there was thirty seconds left, there was five seconds left, because this Chief's offense, while it's Patrick Mahome still back there, have not shown the explosive verticality of previous years. And yes they had three timeouts, but it was a wet night and essentially what you end up doing is forcing them into a position where they have to try to get within Harrison Bucker's range on a wet night, like the field goal is not guaranteed, no matter how good of a kicker he is, so take the chance, go for the win instead of leaving it up to a coin flip flipping in overtime, which obviously they ultimately lost.
Speaker 4: The two worst drives of the night by the Chiefs were the last two in regulation, where they get Breing out twice, once to give the Bucks a ball back, and once again Baker played well, got that excellent touchdown drive and then they get it back with twenty seven seconds left. And man, first of all, the Bucks did the thing where they just kicked it and gave them ball at the thirty. I'm annoyed by that each and every week. But Mahomes almost threw the ball away there a couple times. One time into one. Will Winfield almost made a great play on the ball, could have intercepted it, and the Chiefs undefeated season would be over. But it's not over, partly because Patrick Mahomes is doing crazy things like creating space as he does, drawing defenders up to come after him in the red zone, and then throwing a touchdown to some i JP run on a play that he got injured. Let's listen to the call and then we're gonna listen to Patrick Mahomes talking about the injury.
Speaker 2: Right after that, Hopkins goes your motion left or right, tight wing right side Mahomes on.
Speaker 5: Third down and goal to go.
Speaker 1: Now we'll scramb up on to the right side.
Speaker 2: Now a Flipford light, Bennett's cart touchdown.
Speaker 9: Kansas City and Mahomes is down. Mahomes is down on all fours as he flipped the ball for to samajp Ryn for a touchdown Kansas City, but at what price.
Speaker 10: I was obviously running for the goal on was about kind of committed to running the football and at the last second saw samaj and so kind of awkwardly rolled ankle a little bit. Definitely scary. I think it hurt more just because its the same ankle I roll last week me a little bit. But once I kind of took my breath and kind of calmed down a little bit, end up being not too bad and we're able to go in there, kind of get the respat and go back on the football film.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Eric H.
Speaker 4: Roberts buying the glass having a great week after this Dodgers championship. I mean that we didn't plan that ahead, that you're going to do those two in a row. He gets the injury talk during the show that that was like that was like him being Mahomes flipping the ball at the last second to Sam a JP Ryan.
Speaker 5: So thank you for that, Eric, good.
Speaker 4: Job, And yeah, I guess Mahomes he's just he's indestructible.
Speaker 6: Nick, Yeah, you know, it's it just takes me back to the Super Bowl a couple years ago when he's got this bad ankle. Everybody's worried about his ankle, and then all of a sudden, he takes off for a long run. You know that how we know how that game ends, you know, the holding call in the field goal and everything else. It's just like, this guy can be hobbled, and he can have foot issues going into games. He can have ankle in issues going into games. And that's you know, you roll the inside of the ankle. It kind of freaks you out because it's an unnatural movement. And yet he just bounces right back and lead. There was a sequence in the next drive where he scrambles forward and I'm like, oh God, he's gonna run on that ankle, and then he immediately finds Travis Kelcey for a first down. And I'm just like, man, this guy. Whether he's an indestructible or superhuman, I don't know, but I would hate to be coaching defense against him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And he's playing better, and it's okay to say that Patrick Mahomes can play better. These guys aren't just robots. Hall of famers, the best of all time. Tom Brady has good games, bad games. There's ups and downs within all of his seasons and throughout his career. The last two weeks leading into this game I thought were probably the best two games of his season, maybe Week one against the Ravens, and then this was another excellent game by him too. So I think Mahomes was playing at a lower level even if he shouldn't have been. I'm not saying he should have been ranked that low on QB Index, but I do think he's playing better now and that's great news for Chiefs fans, as if they need more. All right, let's take a quick break. We're gonna do some news. Oh yeah, Denis Salad got fired today. Forgot to mention that we're going to talk to the Saints block party guys about the Dennis Allen firing later in the show. But we got a lot of news and our players of the week to get to before that. Back in a second, back on NFL Daily. And yeah, the Saints changing head coaches in the middle of the season for the first time since Joevitt was the interim head coach. That was the biggest news item on Monday, but it wasn't the only coaching change. We'll just put a pin in the Saints for a minute. We'll get to them at the end of the show. But for now, let's do some news, all right, So right after we stopped taping on Sunday night, he made some coaching changes.
Speaker 5: This feels so long ago at this point too.
Speaker 4: It's funny these items, Nick that if this happened in the offseason, it would we'd get three days out of this.
Speaker 5: It would be the biggest thing to happen all week.
Speaker 4: And now it's like, oh, yeah, the Raiders fired their offensive coordinator after half a season, like a first year guy. They also fired their offensive line coach and another assistant, Luke Getzi, is out with the Raiders. They have not announced who their new offensive coordinator is. They're in a bye week right now. Scott Turner, the former Panthers and Washington coordinator and assistant, is on staff there and is believed to be a strong candidate. And I've always thought is maybe better than the consensus opinion of him, which would mean that he's okay, because I think a lot of people haven't been a huge fan of him.
Speaker 5: He would make sense to me.
Speaker 4: But man, I thought, this is a bad sign for Antonio Pierce and his tenure that he's already having to make changes, Whether these are the changes he wanted to or whether they're you know, from above, they're making him make the changes and get rid of Getsie this early.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, in your first year, you're already firing your Coordinator's not good. But then again, visually, the Raiders haven't been a good football team. And Antonio Pierce we talked about on the show last night, he's grasped at straws at this point.
Speaker 7: A quarterback.
Speaker 6: He's bench garter Minshew multiple times, he lost an O'Connell to injury.
Speaker 7: He puts Desen Ritterer in there. It doesn't get any better.
Speaker 6: So the next thing you do down the list is all right, well, let's fire our offensive coordinator. It did make me think once the news came down, is Luke Getzi gonna get another OC job in the NFL because now he's lost two within this calendar year.
Speaker 7: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I don't think the results are there, but you got to do something when you ranked twenty ninth and total offense thirty second, and rushing and nineteenth and passing. Your best stat is passing, and you've changed quarterbacks like four times. So things are not good for the Raiders. They're headed toward a dark place right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the worst rushing games of the last twenty years.
Speaker 5: I think that's the main reason.
Speaker 4: Why they were so pass heavy on Sunday against the Bengals, although they kind of moved the ball and were relative effective for a decent part of the game.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what anyone in Las Vegas was expecting. They have underperformed, But considering they don't have Davante Adams and they've had some injuries, like, I don't think they're underperforming by that much. This this offense was was never gonna be good. And yet it makes you worried about Antonio Pierce this year because that could be something where ownership is already getting involved and frustrated and then the change happens right off the bat.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 4: The kind of the I don't know. The national teams are struggling right now. The Raiders are struggling, The Giants certainly are struggling. The Cowboys season feels feels over. Dak Prescott is gonna miss multiple weeks. According to our insider Ian Rappaport, injured reserve is possible because of his hamstring injury. Ceedee Lamb has a springed ac joint. He has a chance to play this week. He's weak to week, which again Michael Parsons is as well. But yeah, Gooper Rush starting against the Eagles this week. It was already over, but this is like a next level of over where they're thinking, Wow, I wonder how high our draft pick is.
Speaker 6: Going to be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, rivalry or not. That's gonna be a ugly game for the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: And this is a team that's just been crushed by injuries on both sides of the ball. But they also were pretty talent port receiver to begin with. And when you lean that heavily on ceed Lamb and then you lose him, and Dak Prescott actually had a decent game before he exited with an injury. It just kind of it just captures where they are as a team this year, which is just low ceiling, not gonna be that good. I don't care how good of a coaching job Mike McCarthy might even do. They just don't have the tools necessary, and now you lose your quarterback. It's not gonna get any better anytime soon.
Speaker 4: No, Vac Martin isn't playing that well at guard like the offensive line in that game, even against the Falcons.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: And you know, for once, I actually thought there's actually some open receivers there there for Dak We were playing the Falcons, so I guess that happens. But man, that it is brutal because they're in a lot of TV spots that we need to take them out of because I do not need to watch this Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Team in flex going. Let's start flexing please.
Speaker 5: Uh More on that in a minute. There were there was one trade.
Speaker 4: At least we're going to do the trade deadline spectacular on Tuesday, but there was a trade that Broncos traded Baron Browning to the Cardinals for a sixth round pick. They also signed another pass rusher. The Broncos did Jonathan Cooper to a long term extension four years, sixty million, so that that room was really crowded for the Broncos. Baron Browning is going to be a free agent in the offseason. It's almost like they kind of are choosing, We've got like four guys here. Browning maybe doesn't fit our scheme. Cardinals send them a late pick. They could certainly use some pass rush help and Browning's a talented player who's been up and down, I would say, in his career, but he jumps off the tape when he's good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was a highlight a couple of years ago.
Speaker 6: But I think that illustrates the the differences in regime changes when you lose the coach that maybe elevated you previously, and suddenly a new regimes in there, and you're not that guy anymore. You're not their guy anymore, and they got to make choices like that. All that tends to happen. You ship him out for a Day three pick that doesn't really amount to much, at least on the surface, and decide to go with the guy you prefer, which that's business in the NFL, playing simple.
Speaker 4: I also like it's interesting because it kind of shows where the Broncos are, not that Browning wasn't that important of a player for them. He's coming off an injury, but just they're sort of in between where they're willing to probably be buyers and sellers, like if something comes along, they're just fine tuning their team third year. If Sean Payton is kind of their go year, that'll be next season. And I like that the Cardinals are in a place where it's like, yeah, we need bodies, we need a chance. We're trying to make this happen. There is a playoff spot available for us in this NFC West. They got a chance to do it, so they're trying to improve their team. We'll see if they'll do it anymore. On Tuesday, another NFC West team, the forty nine, opened up Christian McCaffrey's practice window. I think we're getting Christian McCaffrey back this week, at least according to John Lynch.
Speaker 6: Their GM long overdue. The forty nine Ers could use that jolt offensively. I mean, look, this guy's in the Cover Madden. It's one of the best players in the NFL. I'm very much looking forward to seeing him coming back and adding that weapon to an offense that could definitely use him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Cover of Madden. Though, you know it's at a check.
Speaker 7: No, the curse is overblown. It's overblown. It's Peyton hell As, that was a fan vote.
Speaker 4: We were in in a book off at the mall on Saturday and my son was looking for, you know, old video games to buy.
Speaker 5: We got an MLB.
Speaker 4: The show actually like a twenty twenty I was just like, I got I'll get you that for some you know, like use video games or there's seven bucks or whatever. It's like, sure, let's get it. Anyways, I saw the Madden They have old ass Maddens there. They had a Madden eight with Vince Young on the cover, and I was like, the kids don't know, and it's not a college, it's not like coming out of college.
Speaker 5: Kids don't know.
Speaker 4: Rookie Vince Young was a good time, and like, I totally get why he was on that cover. He was a great time for a minute and that like people think of him as a bust or whatever, he had a lot of good moments in the NFL that a lot of quote unquote busts never have. So I will always defend rookie second year Vince Ye.
Speaker 7: I agree.
Speaker 6: Could you tell me who was on the cover of the year before? I know you can't, but I'm going to tell you, well.
Speaker 4: There were a couple wacky ones there. I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 6: Tell me the whacky ones came later Madden O seven. Sean Alexander was on the cover.
Speaker 5: Okay, now that makes sense. He got the MVP.
Speaker 4: One of the more underwhelming MVPs of all time. Don't don't come at me, Seahawks fans. Aj Brown is not expected to miss significant time with the knee injury that he had, according to Jeff McClain of the Philly Inquirer, So maybe he has a chance to play this week, although with the way this Cowboys team looks, maybe don't rush him back if you don't need to couple other just small injury items. The Bills sent Ken Coleman to an MRI for risk injury. That that sounds a little dicey and maybe getting a second opinion. So I don't like that Duan Smooth, who's played some good snaps for them as a rotational defensive lineman's going to injured reserve. The Titans lost Quandary Digs for the season to a Liz Frank injury. They are also hopeful that this is the week for Will Levis to return. And then finally we got some flex news. Look, I think every time we do a flex you should flex. I should have showed you. I should have told you this ahead of time, because you know you got the.
Speaker 7: Mark under here. I mean I could take it off if you want.
Speaker 4: I want to know, please, I mean we do use you for you know, your massive sex appeal shook. But I don't want to go I don't want to go that far. They flex the Jets out of primetime. That's fun because I'm thinking back to before the season, the NFL said the Jets owe us some primetime games, and I was thinking during this last one, I was like, Okay, they vowed us enough, and they took the Jets out of primetime in a couple of weeks. I think it was what a Jets man. Now, I'm forgetting it was a Jets Colts game in primetime. Yeah, you don't need the Colts again. And they're putting Bengals Chargers. Now, the Bengals could very easily be four and six going into that game if they don't win this Thursday night against the Ravens. But who cares. The Bengals are still going to be in the mix at four and six. Bengals Chargers Herbert Burrow.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's fun.
Speaker 6: A matchup of two of the brightest young talents a quarterback. Although they've been in the league long enough tim that I don't know if I can necessarily say they're quite as young as they were before they feel fairly established. Herbert's on a heater, which we discussed in yesterday's show, and Burrow has been good all year, so that attracts more eyeballs I think than another week of Aaron Rodgers. And you know the saga that is the Jets against the Colts team that really underwhelmed in primetime on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Night, right, and it'd be Rogers versus Flacco. I mean, the Colts are I'm sure a big part of this too, Like after seeing what they did on Sunday Night Football NBC, it was like, no, thanks, don't want to do that again. We don't want the Flacco Rogers like you know Ravens Packers rematch from twenty fourteen, if that ever happened.
Speaker 5: I have no idea if that ever happened, but you know.
Speaker 4: Those two guys would be slinging it around with strong arms. You know what time of the show it is, Nick.
Speaker 7: It's a great time. It's a great time.
Speaker 4: It's time for the Captain's Corner, presented by Captain Morgan. As always, I'm letting you start first.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, we're gonna go with what might seem like a bit of a layup pick, and it's gonna be none other than Joey Burr. Joe Burrow for his five touchdown performance, right, that's what is deserving of Captain's corner. But that's not why I'm picking him. I'm picking him because Joe Burrow threw his fifth touchdown pass of a romp over the Raiders, and you could tell that he was not at all satisfied with where the Bengals are or his performance in the day, because he knows it's only one win and because of the hole they dug themselves in early, they have a long way to go. Let's listen to his postgame speech to his teammates.
Speaker 5: We're traveling on Wednesday, today's Sunday. Get your bodies right, get your minds right. It's a big one on Thursday.
Speaker 3: You know, he's still thinking about that play that he and Chase didn't connect on, because he's a perfectionist.
Speaker 7: Even in a game that's thirty eight seventeen.
Speaker 11: The position they put themselves in, the mentality from now on has to be after today's game, nine down, one to go.
Speaker 6: The expression in that clip if you're watching on YouTube, which if you're listening on podcasts, he is as stoic as can be. He just threw his fifth touchdown pass. He's had a great day. Not excited at all. That expression says it all. Look, we were in a bad spot early. It's been a very frustrating first quarter to half of the season, and we're finally starting to hit our stride. But guys, we cannot enjoy this with victory cigars because we have so much further to go. If you want to actually be in this race. That is the leadership that I expect from a selection for Captain's corner, and that's why I'm picking Joe Burrow right there. It's funny because Greg Get reminded me I went Saturday night. I went and hung out with my niece and nephew. I played Nintendo with the Switch with my nephew and I'm killing him in Mario Kart, and after like three races, he just I look over at him and he's just stonefaced, and I'm like, hey, what's wrong. He's four and He's like, I don't want to play this anymore. That's what Joe Burrow looked like. It struck me in that moment. So good on Joe for leading by example.
Speaker 5: Great choice.
Speaker 4: I love the reasoning too, And yeah, that reminds me. I didn't even mention Jack Jones, with one of my favorite defensive players of the year, on a pick six on Burrow earlier in the fourth quarter. So maybe he was salty about that they had a three and out earlier and he knows that they can't be making those mistakes against the Ravens that they were making in the fourth quarter, even if it felt meaningless. And that's why Joe Burrow is is who Joe Burrow is. And he also might have been annoyed because his rookie receiver let the team down. I meant to mention this during the recap show, and I think it's worth mentioning here because seeing him on the bench reminded me of a clip that was going around social media. At some point in the game. He said something to Jermaine Burton, who's their rookie third round pick, and he looked very serious saying it, and Jermaine Burton looks serious listening to it. And then Jermain Burton got up off the bench, and the speculation was that Joe Burrow was like, you haven't earned sitting down. You know, he's in street clothes, you have no right to be sitting down during this game. Who knows if that's exactly that it's actually what he said, But the reporting in Cincinnati from Paul daaner of the Athletic in a few places was they talked all week that they were making Burton a big part of the game plan, the whole team, the players. He's really matured all this stuff, and they wanted him to kind of step into a starting role because Yoshavas has been a little quiet as the second or third receiver whatever he's going to be. Burton's talent has been playing better. And he literally didn't show up on Saturday for walkthrough, which is crazy, and that always makes you a little worried. Whether there's more to the story, We don't know. I don't want to speculate on that, but whatever it was, he did not show up to the walkthrough, and the way his coach and his teammates talked about it out afterwards, it was a broad spectrum of just pissed, worried, disappointed, and just like w twof like what, we cannot trust this kid?
Speaker 5: So who knows, maybe he was a little salty about that too.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to mention that because it's a little interesting wrinkle of a guy that had some issues coming into the league and now you wonder, like, are they going to trust him again at any point because in theory he should have a big role in Thursday nights game if t Higgins isn't available yet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you're you're dealing with what every team deals with, which is injuries at certain positions, but at receiver especially. It's very important to this team because they learned early in the season that they have to put up a lot of points and the defense has kind of come around a little bit, but they still know they have to put up a lot of points to win games and their backs are against the wall. So now is not the time for you rookie to not show up because he overslept or whatever it might have been. Get to work on time, be a pro, and I'm glad Joe Burrow is taking the lead on that.
Speaker 4: Well, they didn't like, they said, like no contact from him either, So that's a tough one that you don't hear that too often at the NFL level of just like total total no show. But he was there on Sunday, uh ironically showed up like with pajama pants on which.
Speaker 7: It was a road game, he probably wouldn't have made the flight.
Speaker 5: For some reason.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking, like, I know, it doesn't merely matter what he showed up, but if you're gonna not completely show up and then basically get suspent, you know, like a soft suspension for the game on Sunday, you know, just put on some jeans or something dress for work. Pajama pants. My captain almost forgot. We're still in the corner. Uh, it's just got to be the Cardinals coaching staff in general. Yeah, I'm going I'm going to coaches. I'm going to multiple coaches. This thing is is loose.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: Nick Rallis, the defensive coordinator of the Cardinals great game plan against the Bears, has done a good job, I think with an undermanned team all year. But he's getting the nod here because he named his son Dominic Kaisier Rallis. Yeah, he named his He named his son after Kaizier White, one of my weirdly favorite players.
Speaker 5: In the NFL.
Speaker 4: You brought up a tough Yeah, you brought up a tough memory for me. Mentioning the Patrick Mahomes high ankle Sprain run that he had in the Super Bowl, because the guy that he juked in the open field which changed the course of Super Bowl history, was Kaizier White. But naming your son after Kaizier wait, love that parent. You know, who knows. Maybe they'll just call him Kaizer. I don't know if he's going to go by the middle name or the first name, but good.
Speaker 5: Job by him.
Speaker 4: And then just to spread it out, I'm going to give Jeff Rogers, the special teams coordinator, some love too, because some great punt coverage, some diving on the one yard line, but especially that his players were prepared for something that's literally never happened, at least that I've ever seen, and it's not in its current formation where on a free kick the way that the blockers are set up is the same as the kickoff the new dynamic kickoff ten yards apart. So this has never actually happened shook in the history of football. Tory Taylor or the Bears did a free kick where you punt it, but he did a free onside punt and the Cardinals were completely ready for and Tory Taylor nailed this thing.
Speaker 5: He hit it straight up in the air.
Speaker 4: It only went about ten yards forward, and everyone on the Cardinals was like, fair catch, fair catch, and they caught it and everyone just walked away, and the broadcast booth like, who's ever even seen anything like that before?
Speaker 5: You know who?
Speaker 4: Had Apparently the Cardinals special teams in practice at some point in the offseason, So good job by Jeff Rodgers getting them ready for that moment. It was just a small, stupid thing. I it tickled me in the moment. It's like, Okay, I've never seen that before. I mean, sometimes you get things you never seen before, like Saquon Barkley jumping, you know, ass first over someone, and then you get stuff like that. This was not as impressive, but it's still pretty cool.
Speaker 7: I feel like I've seen that in the game recently, maybe the last couple of weeks. But I might be wrong.
Speaker 6: Maybe I'm just like everything's blending together at this point in week nine. But good on him for preparing his guys. I will say this, naming your kid the middle name after a player definitely Trump's Nick Sirianni's award for the defensive player who got a takeaway of his parking spot. I think the name carries more permanence than a parking spot for a week.
Speaker 5: That's fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kaisier White, He's followed him from Philly to Arizona. Good on the Cardinals coaching staff. That was the Captain's Quarter, presented by Captain Morgan. It's delicious and crisp, perfect for game day with friends.
Speaker 1: Spice it up.
Speaker 4: Visit Captain Morgan dot com to find a Captain near you. Please drink responsibly. Now we're hitting, you know, one of the tougher parts of the week for me, Shook, it's my time without you. I gotta wait all the way till to next Sunday to get back to Nick at night, back to back nights.
Speaker 5: We got to get you in a midweek show one of these weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean absolutely, I'm always down, you know, But I'll tell you what if I didn't know any better, I think he came straight from a sales background with the way that you just laid that on thick.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you, thank you very much. All Right, we're gonna talk a little Dennis Allen and the Saints. What is next for this organization? What a crazy situation that they are in moving forward? Talking with the Saints Block Party Podcast about the Dennis.
Speaker 5: Allen firing after the break.
Speaker 4: Back on NFL Daily, Excited for this conversation. I'm not sure how this conversation is gonna go. I'm looking across the city of Los Angeles at my friend Adam. I'm looking at across the country at my friend Ryan from the Saints Block Party podcast. Yes, some of the most frequent guests of this season. They were on and after Week two when we were talking about Super Bowl aspirations for this Saints team. They were on after Sean Payton kind of dug about four feet of the grave for Dennis Allen. And now we're here after Yes, Dennis Allen has been fired by the Saints, and there's no one I wanted to talk about this transaction with more. Adam, you look too happy for another man's downfall. It's like, I'm not gonna say it's like Marti Graf for y'all, but it's like it's like Lundi Gra.
Speaker 5: It's like the day before.
Speaker 13: He's getting paid seven million dollars a year with a twenty six and fifty three head coaching record. I, respectfully, I do not care.
Speaker 1: I don't care, Greg, I don't care.
Speaker 5: Okay, when you heard the news.
Speaker 4: Obviously it couldn't have been too shocking coming off of that performance against Carolina. What's your like, We've buried Dennis Allen enough. That's not fun to do at this point. You mentioned his record. Yeah, that's one hundred and forty seventh out of one hundred and forty nine qualifying coaches in terms of all time winning percentage. Now, most of that was with the Raider, but he was eighteen and twenty five with the Lions, which is not great.
Speaker 5: We can move past it.
Speaker 4: Look, this is a man who coached up a lot of good defenses for the Saints as a coordinator, but he's the ultimate Peter principal head coach in the NFL. Good coordinator, bad head coach. We get it, big picture. They named Darren Rizzy the interim. But I think there was a lot of interesting takeaways from how this transaction was messaged and some of the reporting that that's come out about it. Where do you want to start.
Speaker 13: Let's start with the two biggest things I found so interesting is that gil Benson has woken up. For the last two weeks, she has essentially not been listening to Mickey Loomis and what he's been telling her how the team's doing, how he's been telling her how Dennis Allen is doing as the head coach. And she went out and talked to players on the side, talk to personnel people on the side to get their thoughts and opinions on Dennis Allen. It seems like she is no longer listening to I won't say the lies, but maybe the fluffing that Mickey Loomis was doing. And she is trying to be an active owner because as much as she may not be a sports person, no one who has a product wants to continually have their product be seen and look embarrassing. Losing to the Panthers, one of the worst teams in the NFL for the last three seasons, was embarrassing, and so she also made the call to relieve Dennis Allen off his duties. This was not a Mickey Loomis call. And the second thing kind of to tie into that. The people that addressed the team after d was told to the team that Dennis Allen was let go was Foster Morrow and Darren Rizzy.
Speaker 1: Why would the.
Speaker 13: NFL general manager, NFL general member of a team not address the team when this happened.
Speaker 1: Why would he?
Speaker 13: Why was he not their front, front and center of the press conference and Darren Rizzy's out there, He's gonna have his spot on WWL. But I don't I'm not saying Mickey Luomits is gonna get relieved of his duties. But there's something happening within that building on Airline Drive. And it's just not the I believe the Dennis Allen part of it is just the start of it.
Speaker 12: What do you think, Ryan, He's one hundred percent right. It's freshting to see that Gail Benson is alive though, because look, she's been the owner for a couple of years now, since Tarn Benson passed. Nobody really knew how she would move in this situation because she hasn't had to really make a him moves. Mickey Loomis has been the defacto manager owner of the team. He's the one that made all the move. She's been encapsulated with her circle, so nobody really knew. You know, we were covering this last night, you know, we're wondering what the athenastic gets fired, and we thought, look, if he were to get fired after this Panthers game, it would have to be a Gail Benson call. Would she make that call? And she did. She got out there and she talked to the players personally. She went around Mickey Numas and I think that just speaks It said so much just right there. It just shows that there's a level of trust that's decreasing just a little bit, not a lot, but just a little bit. It would as far as running the organization, because Dennis Alum was his guy.
Speaker 4: Right, So let's back it up for a second. Mickey Loomis has been with the Saints organization since two thousand, so he proceeds when he John Payton, he proceedes GAYL.
Speaker 5: Benson.
Speaker 4: Now you mentioned Gail Benson's only been the owner of the team for so many years. I think Tom Benson died in twenty eighteen. I was actually weirdly on NFL Network on call all that week to talk about Tom Benson's legacy. I read the book Jeff Duncan wrote about Tom Benson just to.
Speaker 5: Be ready for that moment.
Speaker 4: So weird because they just knew I was a safe guy and they didn't have anyone.
Speaker 5: Very weird.
Speaker 4: So she's on the team for six years, and look they they were married since two thousand and four, so she's been You could say she's doesn't have a sports background, but she's been in this game for a while.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: We don't need to get into the whole story of how she became the owner. There were lawsuits between her side and the and Tom Benton and his daughter from a previous marriage and her kids, and ultimately in his will the team was left to her.
Speaker 5: So she is the active owner.
Speaker 4: And to me, this is her first real test as the active owner, because when Sean Payton essentially quit, the idea was, let's just keep it rolling. Let's keep it rolling with Mickey Loomis, Let's not upset the apple cart. Dennis Allen as a good defense. Let's just keep it going. And everyone decided to do that. And now the question, as you guys said, was was she actually going to make a move on her own? And I want to read the statement that Mickey Loomis really least on Monday, his statement read, Dennis Allen is an excellent football coach. This season, we have had an avalanche of injuries. It took its toll. Dennis Allen never offered excuses. He fought each day for his organization and this team, and that's what makes today disappointing. Dennis has been an integral part of this organization's success for the better part of twenty years.
Speaker 5: He will be missed.
Speaker 4: I never heard a GM release a statement like that that felt like he was upset. And when you're saying that she contacted the players directly, there's been various reporting. Nick Underhill at New Orleans Football As reported that it's been out there in different places, New Orleans Times, Picky Youn different versions of this story that yes, the players were involved, and that's crazy, and that tells me that Mickey Loomis is probably not long for this job. But every Saints fan Adam tells me I'm wrong. Every Saints Fan's like, Nope, they're never gonna get rid of Nicky. Lomis is never gonna happen. And I think when an owner does a move like this, it's a sign that she's open to anything.
Speaker 1: Going on with that.
Speaker 13: I've heard not only was Gail Benson canvassing information for players on Dennis Allen, I also heard that she was canvassing information on Mickey Loomis from players, from personnel. And when you're doing that, I'm not saying it's gonna lead to something, but the structure, the crumbles and the fractures of trust is definitely there. I kind of felt like Mickey Loomis, to use a Game of Thrones reference, Mickey Loomis was like little Finger to Gail Benson. He goes just lies, job preservation, job preservation, and at some point Sanza comes to her senses and just like no, sorry, just completely just nerdy Game of Throne talk, but came to her senses like no, you are not. I don't want to hear it from you because I know you're lying to me. It feels like that's in motion right now within the team hierarchy. And going back to that statement you just read like I was confused, was like Dennis Allen fired or was he promoted?
Speaker 1: Like it's such a weird statement.
Speaker 12: What it was almost a defiant statement, you know, Yes, the way it was read.
Speaker 4: It was and this is a defiant guy. It's a defiant organization. Look, they stood behind Mickey and Sean Payton through Bountygate like as hard as it as they possibly could. Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton. Look, he was the best man at his wedding and Sean Payton goes. They stood behind Mickey Loomis. This is a man that helped run the New Orleans Pelicans does on some levels still, but you know, was on a more day to day level. So it's a very fascinating organization to me in terms of how it's running. But it was absolutely defiant and this is a guy Mickey Loomis. For what it's worth, we want to talk GM records forty six and sixty one without Sean pay at coach. And one of the reasons I bring all this up, and maybe this is getting too nerdy for our listeners, but I think it's really interesting is there is no way for this organization to move forward to me unless it's a total restart, because the way they've done things in terms of pushing all that cap money into the future, and Derek Carr has a lot of money next year, and there's a lot of contracts in our next year, and there's a lot of old players on this roster. I think it only makes sense to start over with a fresh front office and a fresh restart and a group that's gonna be willing to maybe feel some short term pain. It might be a year or two it might not be like like some of the teams with huge dead cap money have been very successful, including the Broncos, like right now, But a team that's really willing to rip the band aid off and to me, keeping the same guy that's run the team Ryans in two thousand, how could that be a fresh start exactly?
Speaker 12: I mean you got to make a move like will he get fired or will he move into like another position within the organization. I don't care, I don't care how do they do it, but something needs to happen. There needs to be a large organizational change. They need to rip the band aid off. The cap nerves have been screaming about it for years. The Saints keep like, keep kicking a hand down the road, and I hate that analysis. But to be in a situation like this where we're picking top five looking like we're gonna pick top five in the draft, and you seventy five million over the camp next hit that is.
Speaker 1: That is just that's this terrible business, Like that's right.
Speaker 5: They've been spending into the bend.
Speaker 4: To Dale Benson's credit, they've been spending more money in the last five six years in terms of cash than than they actually used to back under Tom Benson. It it's quite a history because when you think about it, like Sean Payton helped get Mickey Loomis fired, they could really write this is like some Tello novella stuff. You know what I mean, it's all, it's all, it's all mixed up, and look everyone's got a little egg on their face. I went back and listened to that Week two show just for fun this afternoon, because I gotta admit I was looking for a SoundBite where I could clown y'all and play something funny or myself.
Speaker 1: We stand by it, you know what.
Speaker 5: It was more composed than I thought.
Speaker 4: You guys went way harder on your podcast on Saint's Black Party than on mine. That was where Ryan really hit it when you guys talking about Kendre Miller. Kendre Miller bay But when Adam asked, are you guys are we super Bowl contenders or not? And Ryan answered, well, Kendre Miller comes back healthy.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, did you say there was the best no line in the league.
Speaker 4: It just as a reminder how seasons can change fast. Because they were two and ou scoring all these points, we thought it was maybe gonna be a Derek Carr Renaissance instead. Derek Carr and his coach have a interesting statistical factoid that Danna Sound's the only coach to ever be fired in two places with the same quarterback. And before the show, we were talking about, oh, the Saints should get arch Manning in a few years, which would be interesting. And I don't know if you know this fact, Adam. Derek Carr this last weekend tied Archie Manning for losing to the most organizations in the NFL thirty So I don't know who's the thirty second. I'll have to find out the Raiders. Okay, the cars, Yeah, the cars. Could you know he could break that record at some point, But I don't know if y'all can wait around long enough to get arch Manning.
Speaker 5: That's a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a while. It's a while.
Speaker 13: And I will say this from what I heard this morning after all everything happened, the Saints have their eyes set on either Detroit coordinator, which is funny because Aaron Glenn interviewed for the job when Sean Payton stepped down and was I was told like he blew the Saints organization away for how like how well he interviewed sounds very kind of coded. I think they interviewed him as like a Rooney, like a Rooney check mark, and like was like, oh, like he actually might be a good head coach. So they're interested in Ben Johnson, They're interested in Aaron Glenn, They're interested in Mike Drabil, They're gonna see how it goes with Darren Rizzy as interim head coach. Just as a fan, I'm just happy to hear those names. Does that mean that they're gonna land any of those any of those names? Who knows, But it just needs to shift away from you. Gotta let the past be the past, and you have to evolve, You have to move on, and this is the first step into that. But like we keep you keep saying, if Mickey Loomis is part of it, it's hard to kind of let go of the past when he's such a prevalent part of the past.
Speaker 12: Exactly because, I mean, one of the big reasons the Saints have such a bad sailory cap issue in the Saints artist talented as they were, is a draft, and a drafting has been horrible the past couple of years. Second round pick Brian Baz who looks good, but you know, isn't maybe hasn't lived up, you know, oh my god, I mean you can go on on and on for days. They have to take a look at what they're doing, the way they're building this team and really start back fresh at the table and continue to build up, you know, from that, you know from the foundation, because right now the foundation is just crumbling.
Speaker 5: It's tough.
Speaker 4: They're in as tough a situation as as any team outside of Cleveland, I would say, right now in the NFL.
Speaker 5: But they're there.
Speaker 4: But things can they can change fast, like we have we have seen in the NFL. If you get the right coach, certainly the right quarterback, you can be rolling in year two. So it doesn't have to be some really long rebuild. But yeah, that Derek Carr doing that Michael Jackson move in the end zone when we were in the crowd in Dallas, that feels like a long time ago.
Speaker 12: Dennis out after the game dropping some Kindrick Lamar lyrics like.
Speaker 1: Since the.
Speaker 4: Speaking of which Darren Rizzy has got a coach eight games here, our friend Randy Chavez cut some soundbites from Darren Rizzy. He was their special teams coach. I love the sound of him at his press conference. Let's let's listen to a couple answers that he had.
Speaker 11: They should be pissed off. I'm pissed off. The fans should be pissed off. The people in New Orleans, the people Louisiana. No one should be happy. And I think this city deserves a winner. They know what winning football looks like, and you know it's our job to bring that back. You know, there's there's a bunch of different ways to do it. I think we've been doing uh things around here the same way for a long long time and and maybe some are good. Maybe some are and we can make some changes, so but there'll be some different things that we do.
Speaker 5: For sure, we've been doing things the same for a long long time.
Speaker 1: That that was good.
Speaker 5: This could be fun.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you guys remember the Joe Bitt era, but he's given me some no vibes.
Speaker 5: I love. I love a fiery.
Speaker 4: Special Teams interim head coach, like with Dan Campbell was the interim head coach in Miami. Like he's got to give you guys some fun and you got the Falcons coming up.
Speaker 5: Ryan, This was like your super Bowl.
Speaker 13: The Raider, the Raiders special teams coach for a little bit.
Speaker 1: He got, yeah, yeah, I've been calling.
Speaker 12: I've been calling, which my interim coach he's now because I knew this day was coming, and he just definitely just like it's that he coach, just getting the team hyped up for two games, go and win to and then lose the rest. You know what I'm saying, Like that, that's that's fine with me. Let's not win too much here, you know, let's not win too much here, you know, maybe get a top five pick. I know, I know, like I hate I hate that type of thinking, like, you know, just losing to get picks. But look, man, this is where we are, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But you want to win Sunday, right, this is got to be a supper ball. It's not the Patriots Jets game two weeks ago. That was the Patriots super Bowl. They just wanted to drag down their rivals into the mud with them. Tell me it wouldn't be fun. I know, our friend Spice, Rack, Brad Spicer's out here with the fired coach principal. He's going to be believing in your Saints they're going to be playing hard. When I saw some of those quotes from from Honey Badger and and Alvin Kamara.
Speaker 12: Already players are already having Rizzy shirts. They have Rizzy shirts.
Speaker 4: Carol Granderson's putting up Instagram posts of walking into I mean, I almost I feel bad for Dennis Allen at this point.
Speaker 13: Please don't, please don't. And here's the here's the crazy part of it. Yes, we want to beat the Falcons, and that's and that is huge. You know, this is quote unquote our super Bowl. But I want to like point out to another little thing in the Devin Rizzy thing. And I don't I don't feel like I'm reading too much into it. When he was asked, you know, the teams have two young quarterbacks on the roster, could they could they see them, like getting looks at them for evaluation for the future, and he said, like, you know, I envisioned Derek Derek Carr being the starter for us on Sunday. He did not, He did not go further than that, like it was on Sunday. So I do think if if the season continues to go how it has been, maybe they beat the Falcons, maybe they lose. You know, you know, a cloud or a cluster of games. At some point you have to see what you have in Rattler in a better situation, with Hanger in a better situation, because you're gonna be comparing these guys and you're gonna compare them in grading them. How of this upcoming quarterback class, the cam Wards, the Sanders, the quinn yours, Because you have to know, do we need to draft one in the top five or do we feel like we can go BPA and maybe we could go with what we have in the building. It's a crucial question that they have to know going into the offseason.
Speaker 4: Man, I I don't feel like they're gonna get a good situation for them to play with, and I don't think either's the quarterbacks really have a chance talent wise, makeup wise to be able to excel in the situation to change any of the draft plans. Doesn't doesn't mean they can't they can't be in the mix next year, and you never know. But I have a hard time believing no matter what Spencer Ratler does this season that it's gonna impact their draft status.
Speaker 5: But you never know.
Speaker 4: They Sometimes things get freaky with interim head coaches sometimes they get them winning.
Speaker 5: Maybe it'll be fun.
Speaker 4: Let's actually listen to one more Darren Rizzy sound before we go this This one Randy Flagg didn't It just cracked me out.
Speaker 7: Lebron can drop six dy, j R.
Speaker 11: Smith can go two for twenty one like you normally did, and Lebron could Lebron could you know there's they're still gonna win.
Speaker 1: I heard that earlier and I was I was like, j R. Smith getting just just shots.
Speaker 4: For what I think he was saying, like the stars can play well and but if your if your role players aren't playing well, then it's not gonna matter. But he sort of stumbled on it. You was talking about Aaron Judge. But that's what I like about interim coaches.
Speaker 5: You never know what they're gonna say.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be ida trained, appreciate you guys. It really feels like this was our our Star Wars trilogy of the Saints. Maybe god maybe it's the Godfather trilogy because the third one it's just like it's not going right. But uhh yeah, we got the highs, we got, we got an emotional loss to the Sean Payton and here we are with big changes.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you guys think you're having us all in man.
Speaker 4: That's that's Ryan and Adam from the Saints Block Party podcast. Everyone check out their show. That's it for this one. We're gonna be back very soon. It's trade deadline if we're gonna put up the show a little earlier. Me and Mike Arrifolo, Jordan Rodrigue responding to all the trade deadline So those will come up on Tuesday. And yeah, when when the Saints are making big old changes, you know football is back