Speaker 1: Hey, they're brain stuff listeners. This is not your normal episode. We've teamed up with the long running podcast On the Job to bring you a few samples of what they do, which is engaged with professionals from all kinds of businesses about what they do, from teaching to butchery to cybersecurity. Through these stories, the team tries to help explain and explore different aspects of what's going on in our economy. They're sponsoring us to run these samples, and I think it's a good fit because you may notice that I don't do many episodes about economics here. There's a reason for that, Like, if you want an explainer on quantum physics, I've got you, But economics is pretty much a mystery to me. The first episode of their seventh season just dropped, so we're sharing it today. Will feature some previews of future episodes in the future, though, if you want to hear more or explore their previous seasons, you can find On the Job from Express Employment Services wherever you get your pot podcasts.
Speaker 2: Welcome to On the Job, as you might be noticing if you're a longtime listener, I am not Otis Gray. I'm Avery Thompson, who you may remember hearing way back in season three when I told my story a brush with fame. Well, I'm back again and I'm excited to take the wheel for our whole. New season of On the Job are seventh in fact, so over the next eight episodes, I'll be speaking with folks who have finally folded up those pandemic sweatpants and are back out there doing what they love and keeping America moving forward. This season, On the Job is on the move, so come along for the ride. It's become a bit of a tradition here at On the Job to start the season by speaking with an economist, someone who can help us understand the current state of our labor market. So to kick things off, I gave a call to Raleigh, North Carolina to speak with doctor Michael L. Walden, Professor Emeritus of North Carolina State University and veteran economist with over forty years of expertise. But before you go thinking oh no, an economist, hit the fast forward button. You'll be relieved to know that I chose a person that understands your apprehension and has made it his life's work to help people get over that econ phobia.
Speaker 3: Economics is really common sense, and I've made it my life's purpose to explain things in ways that people can understand. And my wife always teased me, I'll probably expire at some meeting where I'm talking, and I'll just slip off the podium and go on go to the next level, because I do love talking about and explain the economics to people.
Speaker 2: You'll move onto that big economic forum in the sky.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: That's right. And more than just being helpful, Doctor Walden actually thinks economics can be thrilling.
Speaker 3: Literally, I've written with my wife what we call three economic thrillers. Now don't lack because that's usually reaction. I get it because people think thrilling economy that they shouldn't go together. But I was motivated to that by quite frankly, economists use a lot of really boring textbooks, and I felt sorry for my students, and I thought if I could write something that would teach them economics but would be exciting to read. So over the course of several years, my wife and I actually wrote three one on macroeconomics, one on microeconomics, and one on the financial system, and students love them.
Speaker 2: So if you're looking for an exciting summer read. We'll have links to doctor Walden's books in the show notes. In the meanwhile, I asked them to explain the current state of our nation's economic affairs, doctor Walden as the hard hitting journalist that I am. I just did a quick Google search, and I see that the unemployment rate is three point four percent. That's pretty darn low, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's I think, actually a forty or fifty year low. It's been amazing. In fact, we had a pretty rip roaring economy prior to the pandemic, and of course the pandemic hit, and we economists knew that that was going to cause a recession, and it did. We had an unemployment rate in March, I believe March or April of twenty twenty fourteen percent, highest since the so called Great Depression of the nineteen thirties. But once we began to open up, which happened at the end of May, and once we the federal government started pushing stimulus money in, the economy began to quickly recover, and actually we got back to pre levels of at least production within another quarter, and we've been growing since and we're actually now in an economy that's beyond where it was pre pandemic in terms of production, also in terms of employment.
Speaker 2: I think we can all agree that a low unemployment rate is a good thing, but I have to admit that I didn't entirely understand what that looked like out in our job market. With the unemployment rate being three point four, does that mean that there are no jobs available for someone looking or are there lots of jobs that we just can't keep filled? Oh?
Speaker 3: No, there right now. A lot of people heard this and recently that there were two jobs available for every person unemployed. It's actually gotten a little better. Is about one point seven jobs available for every person unemployed now. Pre pandemic, which was more normal, it was only one point two jobs available for every person employed. So yeah, there are still signs out there and businesses saying please apply.
Speaker 2: But doctor Walden explained the types of jobs that are widely available are different from those that we might have seen one or two years ago, because as the world returns to some sort of post pandemic normal Americans are once again craving community. We want to hang out at bars and restaurants again, or maybe take that long overdue vacation and therefore the jobs market. Those now hiring signs we're seeing all over town reflect the shift in consumer behavior.
Speaker 3: If you look at the latest job of report we had for the nation, which came out January, it was a very robust report. What we saw is a lot of people taking restaurant jobs and personal service jobs, exactly the opposite of what happened after the pandemic. And I think what's happened here is the tech sector is slowing down. So I think that this makes sense to me that as a tech sector shed some people, those people, maybe some of them are saying, well, I've got to go back at least for a while, and maybe those jobs that I left.
Speaker 2: Despite the very favorable labor market with nearly two jobs available for every job seeker, doctor Wildon suggests that we shouldn't get too comfortable employers have a special trick up their sleeve to combat this labor shortage, that we should all be careful about.
Speaker 3: One thing we're going to see more of to deal broadly with the labor shortage is something that we actually feared a decade ago, and that is technology.
Speaker 2: In other words, robots, well also automation and AI but yes, also robots.
Speaker 3: But I think some of those technologies have been developed, they may hit at just the right time.
Speaker 2: And it's no longer just factory jobs and other repetitive tasks that are at risk of being replaced.
Speaker 3: Especially now, for example, we're getting AI. AI is being developed and then there's some scary things about that, but that's going to influence people at more cognitive jobs. So I don't think we should get too set in thinking, oh, this labor shortage is going to go on. I do think eventually we're going to see a lot of this technology come in and be used by businesses. So I still think people need to worry about getting the skills that they need to get in order to get the job they want, and just don't be setting back and saying, oh, I can get a job anytime I want, because there's so many jobs deal I think eventually it'll change.
Speaker 2: So doctor Walden's advice, get that job now, Folks, strike while the iron's hot. We'll be right back.
Speaker 4: A strong work ethic takes pride in a job well done. This is the kind of person you need. Express employment professionals can help because in good times or bad, we understand how critical it is to manage your business for today with the right workforce. We offer hiring solutions to fit changing demands. Express knows Jobs. Get to know Express go to expresspros dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: We're back speaking with economist doctor Michael L. Walden, who is just reflecting on the very strong post pandemic labor market we're enjoying. But doctor Walden also acknowledges that even in a blazing labor market that heavily favors the worker, sometimes landing that job is easier said than done.
Speaker 3: We are probably an era where what businesses want and the skills that are needed are changing more rapidly than any time before. And I think, what's going to happen. This is not me saying this. The kind of jobs that are going to be applied for people and the skills that are needed are going to change.
Speaker 2: What doctor Walden is talking about has already been playing out far and wide. In just three decades. We've gone from dial up modems to nearly every single job in America requiring some level of computer proficiency. And we're not just talking about office workers. Waitresses are taking our orders on iPads, mechanics, are plugging our cars into diagnostic systems, metal fabricators are using CNC machines and laser cutters. Even our doctors are asking us to open wide, stick out our tongues, and zoom in with our camera phones. And while the adoption of these technologies has allowed for some phenomenal advancements, it also poses some challenges to America's workforce.
Speaker 3: And what I worry about is that we may very well be looking down the road at the situation where we have a large percentage of people who are say middle aged, they've been working at their job for a decade or two, they've got family to raise, et cetera, who one day wake up and find their job's gone. They may be taken over by technology, it may have been changed in some way, and they need to get retrained, and they don't have time to go to a four year college spend four years retraining. So I think we need to start looking at programs that get people retrained in skills that are needed quickly. I think we need to encourage businesses to set up their own training programs for people. So I think I think the rapidity and what skills are going to are going to change will require a much more rapid and efficient educational system.
Speaker 2: So to meet these swiftly changing times, we're going to have to get clever about education and retraining. From the returning popularity of trade schools to coding boot camps, Americans are scrambling to stay ahead and take some agency in their future career path. Now, of course, I wouldn't be fulfilling my hosting duties here if I spoke to an economist and didn't ask him to gaze into his crystal ball. So I had doctor Walden with a question that seems to be on everyone's minds these days. Will we have a recession? And his response was.
Speaker 3: When I'm in the camp that I think we will toward the end of the year.
Speaker 2: But before you get too concerned, he added some very interesting caveats.
Speaker 3: So there's one idea that economists that have been batting around sort of in the background here is that if we get a recession, we may actually see businesses not layoff anyone, or maybe the layoff would be very minor because they can cut their labor costs by simply cutting the number of unfilled positions. So the forecast that I've seen, even in the worst case scenario is maybe the unemployment rate would go up to five percent and five percent unemployment now, No, I don't want anyone listening to think that I don't care about unemployed people. I do. My father working in construction, he was unemployed a couple times, always every year, and I remember living through that. But if five percent of unemployment when I was in graduate school fifty years ago, that was considered full employment. And so if we get to five percent employment and that's the worst during what I think will be an upcoming recession, that would be great. So fingers crossed. If we do have a recession, I think there'll be best case scenario, there'll be no negative impact on the job market. But if it's a normal situation, even minimal impact on the job market, and then we'll get back. And then the other thing, The other thing the companies are remembering is they had to work hard to get the people have because it's so competitive, and so a lot of companies are reluctant to let people go because they're worried they can't get them back when times get back to normal and the economy blooms again.
Speaker 2: Only time will tell how things play out, But I hope for everyone's sake that doctor Walden is right and things won't be as bad as some of these doomsday pundits have been predicting that this labor market will continue to roar. But then, just as we were wrapping up our interview, I noticed hanging in the background of his office a long row of baseball caps, all of them bearing the logo of the Cincinnati Reds. And if you know anything about the Cincinnati Reds, then you know you have to be an eternal optimist to keep rooting for them.
Speaker 3: My Reds had a horrible season last year. I think they lost one hundred and two games, But I'm always optimistic about a lot of young players, so I'm looking for good things from the Reds. Maybe not World Series, but at least being competitive.
Speaker 2: So maybe we should take doctor Waldon's positive economic outlook with a grain of salt. Or maybe he's completely right and we'll see the Reds in the playoffs. For on the job, I'm Avery Thompson. I'll see you down the road.