Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com slash the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. What up?
Speaker 3: Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio, iHeartRadio App. Hope you're great? Of course Dan, the dan Nets they're already overseas in Ireland, get ready for next week's shows and of course next week's college football tickoff. And meanwhile, we're just a couple of couple of dudes. Me Dan Byer a man Jason Stewart, John Romos filling in for Dan and the dan Nets. The Dan Patrick Show is brought to you by pxgpxg's new Gen six drivers so good.
Speaker 4: We'll bet it's better than yours.
Speaker 3: Test our Jen six driver and if it doesn't deliver more distance or tighter dispersion than yours, we'll give you one hundred dollars. Join the Gen six Driver Challenge at pxg dot com. Nobody makes golf clubs the way that we do. Period you know, I I was thinking about this Dan the last three off seasons, maybe even four. I would challenge anyone to.
Speaker 4: To tell me I'm wrong that maybe not.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think last year they definitely did dominate discussion, but maybe not in every individual week. But if you group together how many TV radio segments of the off season we're based upon this one team, you might end up agreeing with me in regards to which team has been the most discussed in the NFL. And what's interesting about this team is it's like the don't exist anymore that teams the Cleveland Browns, because if you go back, remember and this was several years ago, right, this would have been I guess six years ago that they won one game between two seasons, and then when they drafted Baker mayprol from that point forward, it was, you know, it was like candy to all of us, where there was always a Baker or Cleveland Brown's discussion, coaching changes, Baker's bravado. Of course you had Cowherd talking about whether or not he did too many commercials. Dan has known so much of what's going on in Cleveland, and then of course you fast forward to the you know, when they decided to go after Deshaun Watson and Baker was kind of sent out to pasture all of that that was, and then the guaranteed contract. Am I wrong to think that over the last four or five years preceding this year, you could make the case that they were the most discussed team in total in the offseason.
Speaker 5: I am in lockstep with you, and I think that you could even make a case going back a few years prior to that, just because of Manzel in his arrival, Like there was always something about the Browns and whether it be Manzel, whether it be Baker, whether it be just that fan base. In the playoff drought, there was always something there and there is something missing, And I don't know. I don't know if it's because they won that playoff game against the Steelers, you know, a couple of years ago, and that ended the drought. But I don't think that that's it. I don't think that that is the issue that's why we aren't paying attention. I think that's too easy, that's low hanging fruit because they still have a star quarterback.
Speaker 6: On their team.
Speaker 5: But I kind of think it's maybe the star quarterback is the reason why we aren't paying attention anymore.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. I just think we don't want to since they're not good and he doesn't appear to be nearly as good as he was in Houston or his reputation coming out of Houston is it's like, we don't even want to deal with it, Like why deal with it to where you don't know that there's any story that you put out or any discussion that you have that you don't mention to Shawn Watson's, you know, off the field antics from when he was in Houston. You'll get people they're like, well, why are you not talking about that. On the other hand, if you do talk about it, it doesn't feel like it fits because it was years ago, right, It just and then you factored like, well, what do we really do we need to talk about a team that one four game last year that doesn't appear. I just it's Jay Stu, Why do you think they've fallen off the storyline map?
Speaker 7: I think that what you just referred to. I think there is just some there's creepiness and weirdness to this to sean thing, and I think it's still there. So on a national level, it is hard for people to get into this team and break down the x's and o's without sounding either insensitive to that or if you cover it, it's a big downer. And how about this, what at least three or four quarterbacks have signed huge deals since that contract? What Jalen Hurts and Lamar and Justin Herbert, none of them have come close to that guaranteed money. And I think that makes it an even bigger ice sore. And how foolish the Browns are and how irresponsible they are, so all this stuff are there aren't a lot of great things to discuss when it comes to their quarterback, so I guess we we choose not to discuss them at all.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a fascinating thing, though, And how the I mean, I'm actually watching Living on ESPN. They're actually talking about Deshaun Watson. I just you know, we go around the league and this is, without any question, the most covered league. And if it's it's it's not just it's not just because of the popularity numbers in terms of watching the games. But I mean, Dan Biro will tell you he's got his you know is I want your flex podcast right where it's the fantasy football element to it. The gambling element to it, and every major network is now covering it. I mean, you want to talk about the proliferation of sports on TV, how about the NFL being on ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and now you know, digitally on Amazon as well. And the NFL network. That's seven networks covering it. And YouTube TV, which it's not really a network, but it's kind of the you know, it's like the sports scrid of things where you can get a little everything, and so we're always looking for stories. And there are teams, you know, for a long time. We'll talk a little bit later about the Chargers where they for a long time they've just kind of existed in anonymity, be in San Diego or when they're playing in Carson. Now not so much so. But it's really fascinating to see the Browns go from the talk of the league, or at least of the media that covers the league to just a team.
Speaker 5: There is also something at play here, Doug, because I think that Cleveland is unique, not entirely unique. I think that there are other NFL markets that are similar to it, but not many. And one of the markets I feel that a similar as Detroit and look at how much love the Lions are getting on a season where we expect great things. And the reason that I bring it up is with the Browns, we followed them when there was dysfunction, as you mentioned, We followed them in the seasons where they won one game in those combined two seasons, and then we followed them as Baker Mayfield was leading them towards five hundred, and then we followed them to the playoffs, and I mentioned that win against the Pittsburgh Steelers and then guess what they fell from that. We were still kind of following that. Then Deshaun Watson becomes available and it's done over with, and the feel good story at the Lions permeates throughout the NFL. And I feel that the Browns were that that drama.
Speaker 6: With the up and down.
Speaker 5: They were the you know, maybe you know the city that people don't necessarily love, but you can understand how much the fan base loves their team, and there was something about that. And I love Cleveland by the way, I think Cleveland's a great city, but there was something about that and now it's all gone, and I think it's just because of the signing of DeShawn Watson.
Speaker 3: You really love Cleveland? Do you really love Cleveland?
Speaker 6: I do enjoy it.
Speaker 5: I've been to Cleveland multiple times, sometime, once for the NBA Finals, once on my own vacation. Yeah, I've been to Cleveland three or four times.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed.
Speaker 3: I've been to Cleveland. I'd like Cleveland. I can't say that it was it's any spot. I'm like, man, this is the this is the place. Although you know, I've ali the forest I used to used to work with. She's a superstar w with. She grew up on the lake, but just outside of Cleveland. She swears by it. Again, I have no I no hatred for Cleveland. I just can't say that it would be one. They're like, man, I'm.
Speaker 6: A Midwest guy, so there's you know, ties to that obviously.
Speaker 3: So sure, but in the Midwest city rankings, where would that be.
Speaker 5: No, it wouldn't be one. But I think that people would say that. I think on the surface, if you haven't been or aren't from there, you would think that it's towards the bottom.
Speaker 6: And I really enjoyed Cleveland. Yeah, there's something about it.
Speaker 3: What were we gonna say that, ramost Well, I was going.
Speaker 8: To say that we had a discussion earlier, not today, but in earlier shows about teams that are indifferent, and I always felt like the Cleveland Browns are one of those teams. Like nobody really hated the Cleveland Browns and more people I love them. There wasn't like this, like if they went to the super Bowl, there wasn't going to be this backlash, like, ah, I can't stand there. I hope they lose, like people are like a Cleveland Wind's cool. But now I agree with Dan that I think people have a dislike now for them, and it's almost like selling your soul to the devil kind of deal.
Speaker 5: Outside of a Bengals or Steelers fan, like I feel that the Titans are like indifferent, you know. And again you know, AFC South teams may feel different. Jaguar's a bit like that. But outside of like the Pittsburgh fans and the Cincinnati fans and the Ravens fans in that division, I think that people would have cheered for Cleveland in the super Bowl if their team wasn't in the super Bowl. I think that they would have had the backing They've got the Super Bowl drought, the drive, the fumble, all of that narrative going to it. I think people rally behind that hoping that they win. Maybe that's the other parallel with Detroit of getting to a super Bowl, not winning that world championship in so long. But there's just no there's not even a buzz about them at all. Like it's just it's almost like they don't even exist right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, weird that That was really my point. You know, it's like look around and there's there's just nothing. It's just nothing, And it is fascinating to see on how I guess one player has done it. But let's be honest. I mean a good portion of it is that they weren't any good. But I do think it's like we would just rather not talk about them than have to kind of dig through a way to talk about them. Because of Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 5: Yes, and they're not devoid of star players. With Watson, with Nick Chubb, with the Marii Cooper, with Miles Garrett, there's yeah, like there's enough there to make you interested. And I just think that then it just naturally happens. People just don't want to deal with them.
Speaker 3: Crazy stuff, crazy stuff. Doug Gottliebin for Dan The Dan ets along with my guys Dan Byer, of course, Jason Stewart and John Ramos. It's Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. We've got a great next I don't know, twenty minutes for you. We'll do some baseball first, some college football second, and look major league go ahead. I'm sorry, Dan, Okay. Look, the the idea of having a having an umpire, or taking away the umpire and have having it basically called by computer or a robot or you know this. The idea of not having a living human being calling balls and strikes is getting. We're getting it feels like closer and closer. We got AI technology, which anybody who has kids knows kids use it to write their papers. I'm just fascinating on what actual baseball players think of the idea of having some form of robot umpire. Let's walk went Matt Holliday. Of course, the seven time All Star, four time Silver Slugger, should be noted that his son, Jackson, is the number one prospect in Minor League baseball for being the number one pick of the Orioles in the Minor league draft, in the in the in the amateur draft. Going back to last year, Matt Good morning to you. Where are you on umpires as opposed to the robots in New York calling balls and strikes?
Speaker 9: Well, I think that I think, you know, Triple A has the challenge where they can challenge and I don't know what the exact rules are how often you can challenge it, but I at least like the idea that a hitter get gets the opportunity to challenge the balls and strikes. They did it at the Futures game. It was the first time I had seen it in person, and it was a pretty cool deal where you know that the hitter steps out challenges and then they go to the to the JumboTron in the outfield and it shows this technology where almost like kind of like tennis, where it shows the ball coming through and then you know it's a ball instead of a strike or a strike instead of a ball, and then you know that's the result. So I don't know if I'm in favor of completely going to uh, you know, sort of this just umpires standing there relaying the information they're getting from the technology. But I think that the hitter having an opportunity to challenge one pitch that bat or I don't know exactly you know, how much or what the rule should be. But I do like the idea in a big spot, if if an umpire gets carried away with the emotions of the game, or you know, you have an umpire that's that's struggling that night and not not doing a very good job, and it's a big call and it's a you know, it's a strike three or a pitch that's a big point in the game that's going to impact the outcome of the game that you have a chance to go to a to a you know, and what however you want to phrase it, a computer or something that that's totally doesn't have you know, take the emotion out of the game, and it just kind of is what it is. So I'm you know, as a hitter, I like to be right, particularly in and out. I understand that some of the technology might cause you know, some high strikes or some low strikes, maybe some breaking balls that end up almost in the dirt, catching the bottom half of the strike zone, but I'm okay with that if you get to the in and out right, those are the ones it's really hard as the hitter to cover off the plate both the way and inside at times the umpires gives. So I am in favor of some sort of technology.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that The fear is that it turns into football, where you know, football replay as good as it is and as many games as it's changed and bad calls as it's saved, we have reached the point where, even in a game winning touchdown we got it, we can't just like celebrate organically hold on, we got to wait to.
Speaker 4: See if that one right.
Speaker 3: It takes away some of the organic nature to it, and you don't want that. In addition to which, like, I don't know, and again I know I obviously didn't play it nearly at your level, but I don't know. Kind of the the cool thing about baseball has always been that no park is uniform, right, so everybody has their own park rules, and no umpire's strike zone is uniform.
Speaker 4: So this guy likes the low ones. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I kind of think that's the beauty to it is the human factor, and I fear that we're taking the human factor out of it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I see that, but I mean, then there's the idea of hitting ninety seven on our fastballs with this umpire like likes the outside off the outside corner. That's great that he likes that. That doesn't make it, you know, easy to hit or even possible to hit. So I don't know. I think that if we have the technology to get the balls and strikes right, I don't see why we don't use it. So, you know, I, like I said, I I'm okay with with the current situation. But as a hitter, there's nothing more maddening than having counts changed in the pitcher's favor because you know, you know, when we have technology, when when you get the beginnings from a goes from a you know, sort of a two to one count, I'm in a good spot to a one two count because he misses a pitch that's clearly off the plate. So I have respect for umpires. It's a hard job, and I think that all in all, they do a really really good job. But if we get to the point where it's quick to have you know, very very accurate balls and strikes, and then I'm I'm good with getting it right over tradition, you know, in this in this situation, because it doesn't take long, unlike replay in the NFL, you have to run over and get under the hood and somebody you know could take us to a few minutes to check it. This is this is instant notification of of what's you know, a ball or stright.
Speaker 3: How do you fix the Yankees?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, I think at this point they've gotten a little bit old. They're they're hurt, they're banged up. A lot of their pictures are hurt guys that they've counted on, uh to to to really carry. Uh the rotation has been has been kind of a mess.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 9: So you know sometimes uh, you know, obviously having a ton of money and being able to go out in the free agent market and and buy essentially, you know, whoever you want is a great thing, but you have to have you have to have an influx of young talent, uh, you know, coming and being able to supplement free agents as opposed to rely on free agents. So uh, you know, I think sometimes you just can't help injuries, you know, and and sometimes a guy like you know, Stan who uh you know, at one point was a you know, an elite player and a great athlete. You know, injuries have taken his toll on him. And uh, you know, Rizzo's has a hit for power this year and and he's had some injuries, and so I think you just have to be careful of of having too many older players that that are uh somewhat injury prone or or starting ahead and that you know, sort of down part of their career where and then it really tests your depth of how good your young your young players are and they just haven't performed maybe to what they thought. So I think it's been kind of a culmination of of a lot of things going wrong uh this year. And you know there's several teams have had that. You know, you had the Mets and the Padres and the Cardinals all also you know, coming into this season, we all would have would have guessed with you know, with the new with an extra playoff spot, that all those teams would have been probably right in the middle of of playoffs. But you know, it looks like none of them will will be in so uh, it's they all can be weird like that where you know, a couple of key injuries and you know, a couple of guys have down years and next thing you know, uh, you know, it can look really bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are they built for the past era?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 3: How much of it is injuries, but how much of it is like, look, baseball has dramatically changed you and I talked about this in person, talked a bit on about on my show, which is now athleticism are now a priority on the base pass, it's a priority you have. You have to be able to cover your position, can't hide you with the shift, right, and uh, it feels like it's it's a different sport, and so the constructive teams has to be different and these teams are just slow to adjust to everything that's changed within this season.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean that's definitely a good point. I do think that sometimes you're you know, you're sort of tied to contracts, right, so you're you're tied into some some contracts that that that you've already signed, you know, sort of pre shift and pre you know, looking at the game a little bit differently with with athleticism. But I do think you're right in that it is it is a more athletic game. I think, you know, the ability to manufacture runs and you know, to do things a little different. It's coming back around, uh, you know to where we had gotten to the point where it was sort of everybody just wanted, you know, home run hitters and guys that walk and you know, play play that, and and now it looks like.
Speaker 3: Do we lose them or is that?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 3: Okay? With with with with us, Matt, We'll get them back in one second. This is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. Matt Holidays, our guest, seven time All Star, four time Silver Suckers, were discussing things in Major League Baseball. I do with there is there is, Matt, let me let me, let me, let me have with us the Dodgers of one ten to row. Now I think we can all say, hey, the Braves are the best team in baseball and and be okay with that. Uh. And this was it felt like like a transition year for the Dodgers, so they really didn't do much. Fix the bullpen, fixed the rotation, everybody thinks they're going after show hey, and then got to fix things next year. But now you're sitting at seventy three and forty six winners of ten games in row. How much of this is real and how much of this is just a heater?
Speaker 9: I think they're good. I mean, I think they're you know, they still have a lot of great players. I mean, they have two of the best players in the league with Rookie Betts and and Freddie Freeman. They still have Clayton Kershaw, who when he healthy is is pitching like he you know, peak Clayton Kershaw. They still have They They've done an incredible job despite picking later in the first round, you know, and then not having a ton of high drafts, of developing a lot of really good young players and a lot of impact pitchers. So when they go to their farm system, it seems like the guys they bring up come up with and have an impact. And so they have some they have some sneaky, sneaky good players and like Will Myth and and some of these guys that you know out on the West coast maybe don't get the love that they would if they played on the East Coast. So I think they they they just continue to be good and roll out, uh you know, vision winning seasons and and so uh, I think they're good. I mean, I just they have experienced a lot of their their their their players, their their veteran players have won the World Series, and I just think, you know, they're they're they're gonna be tough out and and uh and I think that they they play well at home it's a very tough place to go in and win, a Dodger stadium. So I definitely think that that they might be flying under the radar a little bit with with the way as good as the Braves have played, But I think the Dodgers are and they're going to be right in the middle of of of the National League when it comes to payoff time.
Speaker 3: Awesome stuff, many thanks so much for joining us, dude, have a great day. Good looking at whatever pickleball your game you're playing in today, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, all right, thanks.
Speaker 3: Holiday pickleball All American burgeoning prickleball star who also played fifteen years in the major leagues and was the seven time All Star and four time Silver slug.
Speaker 2: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Dan, I wanted to start with and for people who don't know, Okay, so my show is daily three to five Eastern time on Fox Sports Radio, Foxportsrade dot com, Iheartapp, and of course we have an hour live podcast that's from five to six. You pick it up whatever, but we do it, you know, in the third hour of the show, Dan of course part of that show, and then Dan has his own show on weekends, Busy has his own I Want Your Flex podcast, which I would encourage you to download because it'll get you ready for this upcoming NFL season. But I want to start with the Michael orr story only in that. Look, there's all kinds of little stories we can get to, right brock Perdy Throws has thrown ten camp interceptions. I don't know if we care about that or the Trey Lance that they even want him in San Francisco. We could get to the abject disaster, which is the Eric b enemy relationship. Right now with the Washington Commanders, there's only one quasi hold out, it's Josh Jacobs, but you feel like he's going to show up right before the first week of the season and then play on that franchise tag because he doesn't really have any options. There's lots of little stories we could get to. But this is a story that it Jase dou I thought you said it best right. It crosses. There's so many different elements to it, right, but I think the overarching thing is and this is This is kind of where we are as a society. Okay, so stick with me for a second. In my lifetime, there's you know, ten of these sorts of stories. A guy from nothing, Jimmy Butler was one homeless right now, he's Jimmy Buckets Kurr owner was stocking shelves at a grocery store while playing in Europe and Arena League or whatever, and then becomes the NFL's MVP and a Hall of Fame quarterback. There are we, by the way, we never do riches to riches. No one ever grew up with money. No one's are like man, I grew up, I had no issues, three car garage and oh yeah, by the way, I made it everybody, it's rags riches, But these top them all in the changing someone's life through helping by by helping from a family. There's so many elements to it. Right. This is in Memphis, Tennessee. And you have white family, black athlete. You have kid comes from no means and mom with personal issues to a solid stable family that it become literally became what we would call again. This is child of the eighties. It's an afternoon special. Guys. Remember we used to what days were those on guys where you get home, there's an afternoon school special.
Speaker 6: And they're all for They were never on Fridays.
Speaker 3: I felt like Wednesday. I felt like Wednesday was the after school special. Right. And maybe now you say, what's a lifetime movie, But this was a real movie because we were told it's ay real story, because it's a real book, and you take all the other elements to it, and to start the week, you felt like, oh my gosh, this family's taken kid to us, taking advantage of this kid, like this is terrible. The entire story appeared to be fraudulent because based upon one lawsuit, there are allegations that they fleeced him. They literally exploited his name image like this. Of course, now as the other side of the story comes out and other pieces come out, the most recent part, Dan, and I know you know this. I don't know if everybody else has been paying attention because I just this story. I don't know if I can't get enough of but I just want to see it play out before I make some true determination into what and who I believe. The latest is that the Towey family doesn't want to be to have a conservative ship anymore, And of course the lawyer came out with some stinging barbs going back two days ago, and Michael Lewis, who of course was the author and then help write the movie. Michael Lewis has come out and said, look, this is a Hollywood thing, essentially saying it's a bad contract and Hollywood made three hundred million and these people only made three hundred grand, which they split up evenly amongst everybody. I don't know, It's just a fascinating story. Dan, You and I we work together every day, but we haven't because you've been filling in for Coveno and rich who've been filling in for Dan? Where are you on this whole?
Speaker 6: You did a complete one eighty. If you would have talked to me on Monday, I would have been like, gosh, how dare they do this? To Michael Lore? Yeah, how dare they do this?
Speaker 5: Twenty four hours later, I'm like, this is bogus And the reason is just because it just felt who had the most to gain in all of this. And then I found out that Michael law has got a book out or coming out or is out, and had been making some of the media rounds with some of this, and then I thought, Doug, to myself, how in the world could this family have imagined that this story would be not only turned into a movie, but make the what three hundred million dollars that you said that it ended up making that would lead to Sandra Bullock winning an oscar. For there was no possible way that that family could have known that or had this been the plan for it to work out for them to then want to screw Michael lare Over and not give them any money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just we do this all the time though, right, And I'm not I'm not saying just you. I saw it in real time with so many people in the media. I don't know what becomes of the Brett Favre story, but remember there was a good week last year during football season where Brett Farr was the worst human being on earth. Now, I don't think that some of the ways in which he went about trying to raise money for the facilities at Southern Miss were perfect. But I also think that as more and more evidence comes out, it doesn't appear that there's any sort of way in which he thought, Okay, they're going to use welfare money. Right. It's one thing to call somebody who's got a grant who's sitting on cash, and go like, hey, man, I can't donate to my school. This has really helped me out. This really help us out. It's a whole other thing to say, like, could you use the money meant for welfare recipients in the poorest state in the Union. Let's take food literally out of mothers and fathers and brothers and sisters hands and put it into a volleyball facility. Right. There's a difference there, and I get it. I like, when salacious accusations come out, it's like it's like cocaine to all of us in the media. We're like, oh my gosh, we gotta but we do it all the time, and yeah, now when it comes out, I look, I think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I did think it was a little much. Now Here's where I knew there was something up for a long time. Is I think all of us on some level have had Michael Oron back when he was a young burgeoning we thought would be Starr in the NFL, and because we knew the story. But I don't think he's ever spoken about it. Because every time I've ever had him on or asked to have him on. I've gotten the Hey, look you can have him on. He's great, but you can't talk about the He doesn't want to talk about the blindside. He want to talk about how his race. What were you saying, Jase? Go ahead.
Speaker 7: There's one exception member. When he wrote his first book, I think it was twenty eleven, he did a media tour and that was I think it was called Against All Odds or something like that, or maybe I'm confusing it with a Phil Collin Sombe maybe, But he did address a lot of this. He wanted to kind of set straight the record from his actual story to the story in the movie. I just don't think he went this hard at the family back then.
Speaker 3: Well there's obviously, I mean, this is is this one that we're coming back from, right, Like, there's this one's a it's going to be hard to rebuild any sort of relationship there, right, Hey, listen, I know I accused you of stealing fifteen million dollars from me. But we're good now, right, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: Yes, on the surface, it does sound like that, but if this, if the family dynamic was the same in both ways. I think you'd be surprised at what could heal. As crazy as it sounds like accusations, if you know one of us did it to the other person, there would be no relationship, even though we work closely together. But if this is supposed to be the family unit that and it works for both sides, maybe the Twoy family feels one way and or obviously feels the other way. But if if that is still there, I think that there could be amending, no matter how horrendous this.
Speaker 3: It's interesting you point that out because I would agree with you. I do think that all relationships when they're based, you know, when you dig through all the gobblygook, right you go through I mean, obviously you'd have to go through a lot of therapy, you know. I still think there's probably a tremendous amount of love. And you know what happens is people stop talking and I'm like, again, I'm totally guessing from thirty thousand feet here, sure, but you're guessing that. Here's Michael Orr who is on a trajectory to success, to making one hundred million dollars. His NFL career didn't work out right, and now he starts looking through things and people saying like, bro, you made how much from that movie? You made? What? Excuse me? You know? And you know, you get around people who continue to kind of stoke that fire and you don't actually sit down and have conversations with it. It's no different than any sort of marriage breakdown or family breakdown. When you stop talking, you start making up the stories in your head and you start taking stippets of what other people say to you, and you create a narrative of your own. And there there is definitely a room room for redemption, especially if there's if there if it truly is kind of based upon you know, love and appreciation for each other. I just we're not close to that point right now, right because yeah, because it's not like my core is like yeah, hey, my bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's way off, way off in the distance. And I also find an interesting, Doug from what you said at the outset of the show, specifically with this show that we are currently sitting in, uh, sitting in for the guys for the Dan Patrick Show, and what is the conversation about Rudy and what Joe Montana said about the movie Rudy. Nobody wants to believe it. Nobody wants to believe that this great blind Side story didn't actually turn out like this or actually wasn't like this. And that's the part that like, if we found out that in Hoosiers, you know, Jimmy doesn't make the shot, if that, you know, didn't happen and it was a fictional story, we'd be like, oh, it's kind of a letdown. But then we feel like, hey, this did happen. It's happened at Mile in high school in the nineteen fifties. This actually happened. There's something that is tied to it. And so now to have this I feel that there's a different emotional reaction because you want to believe it's true. I mean, how many years ago to Joe Montana try to shoot down the rudy you know script on this show and the guys still talk about it. And I think that's a part of this as well. And why for everything that you said at the outset of why it still affects us right now is because the story was so good. I don't know if it's you know, too good to be true, but we don't want it to not be.
Speaker 3: That story is the Kurt Warner, the only story that's too good to be true that really is right. Yeah, I mean that one's pretty amazing if you really kind of get down to it, Like he he goes from Arena League and then playing in Europe and really the third string quarterback with the rams store the grocery store thing, yea, to the greatest show on turf and then oh yeah, by the way, the other element to it was, you know, he with the bad was a finger or hand. When he was in New York, they couldn't play him, like he went, this was my thing. Kurt's a friend and he's an awesome, awesome dude. And by the way, like I don't know how many people know this, He's got a gym at his house and so he always has people over to play like four on four. It's like it's got like three quarter court length. And you always want to be on Kurts team because he does make every call and makes a lot of shots, but he get in the calls anyway. But like his Hall of Fame resume was hard because he had like four years where he's arguably or inarguably the best quarterback in the league, but he had like five years where he couldn't really play like he was bad and he was a backup, like within the context of his that's not even taking into account how he made the league, et cetera. But he The thing about Kurt is like he made it from nowhere, then lost it, then was a backup, then made it again in Arizona like it's crazy and it's one of those like there's no way it's too good to be true, and it's not. But the Ore story does appear to be, at least on some level, too good to be true. I just wish we could kind of like you guys, ever seen Mystery Science Theater three.
Speaker 6: Thousand long time ago?
Speaker 3: But yes, okay, so Mystery to Jaseu, you didn't say anything, so you've never.
Speaker 7: Said no I remember. It's kind of and then cheap seats came after it kind of ripped it off right.
Speaker 3: Right, and it's basically, you know, you had the idea, was these this guy and a robot and was there like a dog or something I can't remember. But they're stuck in space and so they have to watch these terrible B movies because the only thing that they have, and they just make smart ass comments the entire time right, or I just wish we had like Michael Orr while that movie's being played and say like, well, here's what really happened. Yeah, that's not really how it took place. I don't know that. That may be a bummer too, So I'm not sure. Okay, so Dan's done a one eighty. Where are you Jay stuw on this story? Who do you believe? As of Thursday, August seventeenth.
Speaker 7: It sure doesn't look good for Michael Orr's side of the story. And I think when the receipts come out, I think the family's probably going to come out looking like they didn't do a whole lot wrong here. I think that's sad. Though rich Ornberger was in for you earlier in the week and he had said something along the lines of this is sad regardless because if this is a pure money play, that means Michael probably went through all of his money, which is sad because you can't spend that money. That that means you've got bad advice, financial advice, and uh, he wouldn't be the first nor the last, but the whole thing just stinks. I think I was at that phase on Monday, and I'm still at that phase Uh, but yeah, that's that's kind of where it's it's it seems to be leaning towards the family. But I think we'll we'll reserve all final opinions.
Speaker 3: Uh, John Ramos, how about you?
Speaker 8: I just think I agree with Jason. I just think it's sad. It's sad. That's something that was so powerful, you know, winning Center, Bullock, an Oscar and just kind of being a good, feel good story has come to this level right now?
Speaker 6: Is it sad? Or is it too bad? Is there our levels?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, like like that's too bad, I'll go, but.
Speaker 2: You're gonna go.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I'm gonna go with that's too bad.
Speaker 3: That's too bad. It's sad.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I really think Dan was was doing the lyrics of an.
Speaker 5: Eighties pop band to say, remember when Michael Orr sat down and said, take a look at me now after you as.
Speaker 3: Phil Colls is one of those guys. He went bald early, so you never he never really aged even when he aged, right, it's one of those I was. I took one of my daughters to barbecue joint yesterday and we walked by a guy and I said, like, Grace, did you see that guy's hair. She's like, yeah, what about it? I go like, did you look a little closer? So he's like no, Wow. I was like, dude, that's the worst rug I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: But he was a young guy. He's a good looking dude. But you know, I mean he had like the the it looked like the whole top was gone. And then he had some real hair on the side. And I don't know if it was a chia pet like planted in there, or if it was just one of those sticker things going on. I don't know, but it looked bad. She's just like one of those you want to grab and go like, dude, what are you doing? Like It's okay. People are bald today.
Speaker 8: I've always had a very good inkling for calling out or knowing someone with a two pay since I was young.
Speaker 3: In my younger days, I agree my gadar, my gaydar is bad. My gadar is bad, but my radar on hair pieces is good.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys said like, I don't. I think some people have both, some people have neither. That's where mine breaks down. But anyway, I just wanted to like, you want to grab them go like, look, dude, you're a young guy. You're in good shape, you got a good looking girlfriend. Like, just shave it right, and then eventually you'll never age, Like, yeah, you're bald at like I don't know, he probably looked like he was thirty. Like, all right, you're bald at thirty. It sucks really, really really hard, Okay, but like you know, it's a good hat collection you can go through and Balt's kind of beautiful and cool and kind of masculine. And you know, by the time you get to fifty, you won't look fifty, You'll still look forty. Right, That's the Phil Collins thing.
Speaker 5: John, Is this superpower only with two pays or does it work with wigs as well?
Speaker 6: It works with everything, all right, yeah, but it works.
Speaker 3: With what else?
Speaker 6: Wigs? I don't know if it was just male specific.
Speaker 8: Extensions things like that, extensions wigs. Yep, I'm good at all of that.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that. We need to have. This needs to be part of the next John Rambo Show.
Speaker 2: Just be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: WAP and Dan Patrick Troll Rose on you're on Fox Sports Radio, Doug Gottlieb, Dan Byer and for Dan and Danetts. We do something on the Doug Gottlieb Show daily three to five Eastern. It's twelve two Pacific that, uh, you know, there's an expression in baseball like, well, that's baseball. It's it's kind of like when when a when a woman, girlfriend, significant other, daughter or whatever, when they have sort of bizarre up and down emotion, you know, behavior, and you're just like women, right, women, and we know what you mean, but we don't know what you mean because we these guys, we.
Speaker 4: Don't really understand it.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, right, Well, in baseball, something doesn't make sense. Just how do you explain a guy who you know is normally a two to twenty hitter punch and judy, and now he's hitting three thirty for the year.
Speaker 2: That's baseball, it's time for that's baseball.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: Here's an example.
Speaker 3: Cody Bellinger got a couple of hits last night and the Cubs dramatic come from behind win at Wrigley against the White Sox. How about this? Cody Bellinger improved his average at three twenty seven. He owns an ops of nine thirty two, eighteen home runs, fifty nine RBI and by the way, he's almost single handedly helped the resurgence led to the resurgence of the Cubs this year. Bellinger is expected to cash in this offseason as a free agent all of the Scepter spend in the last three years of the Dodgers looking lost at the plate? All right, Like, somebody get that dude a compass and a Thomas Guide because he is lost.
Speaker 4: How do you explain that kind of turnaround? That's baseball?
Speaker 9: That's baseball?
Speaker 3: Okay, this one hits close to home. Angels left hand to read. Debtmers came six out short of pitching his second career no hitter last night as the Angels beat the Rangers took one game at least from the series to nothing. Debtmer's threw a no hitter last season. Did you know there's a list of Hall of Famers who never threw a no hitter? I mean, the greatest picture of my lifetime is Pagro Martinez. Nope, Greg Maddox, Roger Clemens, Steve Carlton. How do you explain that Debtmers has won almost had a second and they have none.
Speaker 4: That's baseball.
Speaker 9: That's baseball.
Speaker 4: And finally, the.
Speaker 3: Dodgers won their tenth straight game last night, which shouldn't be surprising giving their success in the month of August in recent years, LA is playing eight hundred ball in the last four years in August eight hundred one other record in those last four years seventy eight and twenty. How do you explain a team that plays that well in that month, and, by the way, struggles a lot in October.
Speaker 4: That's baseball.
Speaker 7: That's baseball, all right.
Speaker 3: I'm told that Dan Beyer has some more memorabilia items up forbid.
Speaker 5: That is true, Doug, and our game of the price is right right now. The Dodgers are so red hot you couldn't even put a price on their winning streak. We've got some things that are maybe a little bit more affordable. Again, That Doug Gottlieb autographed lanyard from NBA con last month in Las Vegas, still available on eBay for twenty nine ninety nine. We did have an Aaron Rodgers item up for sale a bit earlier. The scoreboard, by the way, Doug, you lead three with three points. John Ramos has two, Jason Stewart has one, final three items. Here we had an Aaron Rodgers autographed helmet worth just shy of thirteen hundred dollars. My question is how much is an autograph to Mark Sanchez jets helmet on eBay? John Ramos will start with you two fifty fifty, all right, Doug.
Speaker 4: Two hundred and fifty dollars or two dollars fifty cents dollars. I'm gonna go half of that buck twenty five all right, Jason.
Speaker 7: Stewart, I'm gonna go two dollars and fifty cents all right.
Speaker 5: Nobody wins because I couldn't find one. There is not a perfect jet's helmet. I am sorry, Mark Sanchez, have done you so dirt?
Speaker 3: What if they would have What if they would have sold the helmet and then the pants attached to this, to the attached to it right to bait, then the butt bumble.
Speaker 6: That's priceless, Doug, all right?
Speaker 5: What about an autograph Jordan Love camouflaged Packers mini helmet this on the heels of Rogers. What about an autograph Jordan Love camouflage Packers mini helmet. Jason Stewart, your bid.
Speaker 7: Let's see one O one one, John Ramos.
Speaker 8: I'll say fifty dollars.
Speaker 5: And Doug, I'm gonna go one O two, Doug, you get this one your fourth one one hundred and eighty seven dollars and forty nine cents.
Speaker 6: It could be yours, okay.
Speaker 5: The final final item of this auction, even though Doug has won the game in autographed Dallas Cowboys white mini helmet that's autographed by Johnny Manzell that also says bleep Jerry Jones on it, John Ramos, how much.
Speaker 6: Would you pay for this? One hundred and fifty dollars buck fifty? One hundred and fifty all right, Doug?
Speaker 4: How much would I pay? Or how much you would it go?
Speaker 6: Online? Yes? How much is it going for?
Speaker 4: I'll go one hundred and fifty one.
Speaker 5: One fifty one ad Jason Stewart one fifty two it's Jason Stewart's because it can be yours with profanity and all for three hundred and twenty five dollars. There it is our Price is Right auction of sport.
Speaker 4: We need to do it.
Speaker 3: We need to do a stay at home show, a hierarchy at some point, right because price is Right was part of it. I mean I used to I had cable as a kid, so you had Heathcliff and uh uh you can't do that on television.
Speaker 4: And you had what else? Did you have a lot of stuff? All right, this is Dan Patrick show, Fox Sports Trail Thanks to the Boys.