Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm slow and I know basketball. Today's guest is a five time NBA champion, a Lakers legend, and owns one of the most iconic moments in NBA playoff history. His journey from Arkansas Little Rock to being drafted by the Lakers to being part of a three peet with Kobe and Shack is a story you won't want to miss. Today's guest is Derek Fisher. Okay, Derek, So I'm sixteen years old, Okay, and I know it's okay. That may have been a while ago for you. So you may need to like get the wheels turning in your head.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yes, Okay, that's how we're starting.
Speaker 2: That is how we're starting. But I want to know, Derek, what were you like when you were sixteen years old.
Speaker 1: I was not as smart as you and didn't have all of this going on in my.
Speaker 3: Life at sixteen, but I was a very.
Speaker 1: Yeah, determined, Like sixteen is was a transitional age for me in terms of basketball. I was always a hard working kid, you know, and but I was really shy, really reserved, didn't you know, didn't speak up for myself, trying to let my work and my play kind of speak for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I played club team basketball and the summer of nineteen ninety, which sounds so so long ago, I was sixteen years old and we're playing in the national championship game for the entire country. Like at that time, they weren't just like club team events every weekend, and it didn't all lead to like one national champion. At that time, AAU led to one national champion, so all the states would send two teams from their state to one place, and we all battled it out. So we had come in second place, third place, fourth place. This year we're playing the title game. My dad's an assistant coach. My best friend's dad is the head coach. I played zero minutes. Wow, And at sixteen years old, I had to make a decision and have a conversation with myself. Yeah, and I decided that I would never let that happen again. I didn't blame my dad or my best friend's dad. I was pissed, naturally, but that changed my life. So at sixteen, I basically was like, no other coach will ever feel that the team is better yet without yeah, when we need to win games. And from sixteen to now, I don't think that ever happened.
Speaker 2: Again, I think you have the best sixteen year old answer so far. I feel like people are like I think when I was sixteen, I was playing basketball. I was like, yeah, I figured you were playing basketball. So I like that a lot. Considering you grew up in Arkansas, which doesn't have an NBA team, what was your team growing up?
Speaker 1: I was a Lakers fan. Okay, like Magic Johnson was my guy still is in terms of just the way I always respected and admired not just like the winning and the legacy on the court, but he smiled a lot. Yeah, And I always thought that that was a really intriguing aspect of a guy that clearly was one of the greatest and as driven in as competitive as anybody else. But he looked like he was having fun doing his job. Yeah, And so just growing up watching him and how he made other people better, that is something that I kind of internalized as a young player in person. And so I love the Lakers and what they stood for represented in the eighties, That's where I started appreciating winning more than anything else in team sports. And so, yeah, you know that was I never thought I would be playing for the Lakers. Yeah, but I loved watching him as a kid.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get to meet him as a teenager? Did you when was your first interaction with like an NBA.
Speaker 1: Player, Well, with an NBA player. I had a few interactions prior to making it to the NBA. Sidney Montcreef is also from Arkansas.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: You'd have to google Dad especially for you, or talk to Syria or whoever that you'll talk to about, like, yeah, okay, talk to talk to he or she about about Sidney montcreep Uh. And then my older brother is a half brother. He's about ten years older. He was actually drafted in the second round in the NBA in nineteen eighty seven. So I, you know, met some guys, But when I first met Magic, it was actually in the summer.
Speaker 3: A lot of.
Speaker 1: Guys in the NBA go up to UCLA and there's great like pick up runs and five on five going on up there. So the summer of my rookie year, I show up to LA moving out to LA, I go up here to the gym and all of a sudden, I'm like looking around all these guys that are in the NBA.
Speaker 2: You know, how old are you at this point, and so.
Speaker 1: We're playing five on five and Nick Van Exell, who was the current guard on the Lakers, my team is playing against his team in this five on five match, and he's out here killing me, you know, and Magic Johnson is like ten feet away enjoying me being destroyed by And that was my first interaction with Magic Johnson.
Speaker 3: But I internalized the like, yeah, at least you.
Speaker 2: Were bringing him joy, Like at least he enjoyed much.
Speaker 3: Joy though, yeah, too much? Yeah that time, No, the starstruck was off because he was laughing at me.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you were never mind them.
Speaker 1: So I was starstruck later and kind of still am whenever I see Magic is just a different level of respect and appreciation totally.
Speaker 2: If you hadn't have become a basketball what do you think your sixteen year old self would have wanted to do as.
Speaker 3: A job.
Speaker 1: At sixteen? Man, I was you know, when you're from Arkansas, you don't envision these type of lives that I've been able to live and experience. And so at sixteen, I mean, most guys that I had grown up wanting to be like, in a sense, we're great leaders, you know, they were guys that I had read about that ran companies always, you know, you read about guys that had real estate companies, or you know, the men that were leaders of CEOs organizations, and so I, you know, most likely I would have gotten into something very simple and basic in Little Rock. When you grew up in Little Rock, you basically you graduated high school, you go to college, you get a degree, You go to church on Sunday. You marry a nice Southern girl that also goes to church on Sunday.
Speaker 3: You start a.
Speaker 1: Family, and it's not even like what type of career like, you just just life. You just hold down a job, take care of your family, take care of responsibilities. So I wasn't really thinking about this big world that I've seen since I was sixteen.
Speaker 3: When I was.
Speaker 2: Sixteen, yeah, totally. And on that note, what do you think the biggest difference you've seen between high school basketball when you played in high school basketball now is a coach of Crasby.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, when I was sixteen playing in high school, I do believe there was more of a a willingness to go along the journey and understand that there's a process to becoming great. Yeah, and that your high school experience wouldn't necessarily define your greatness, and so there was a patience that you could have in high school because you didn't feel like, well, if I don't do this in the tenth grade, then that means I'm not going to be this. And so I think now more young players and families feel that it has to be now in order for it to be later. Yes, And that was just different for us growing up. And it's not a right or wrong thing, you know. If I'm raising kids in this generation now, I want the best for them, but I I just try to make sure that they remember life on and off the basketball court is really a journey in the process and you don't have to be in a hurry to be the greatest thing in the world, like it'll be there for you at the right time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And seeing how nil works firsthand, do you think that that's positively or negatively affected your players?
Speaker 3: It depends on the day of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, because I think you can't be naive, right, and even as the coach of these kids, like, you can't be naive in the way of ten grand changes somebody's life instantly, whether it or change their life forever. You know, yeah, that's for another day. But you know, we can't feel that nil itself is the reason why some of these things are happening. I think young people have every right to make a life for themselves, even doing this, Like I'm sure at some point you want to get paid if you're not already getting paid. So it's the same thing as a young basketball player, like if you have a way to create income for you or your family to do it. But there are other days where I think the money has become a substitute for accomplishment or achievement, and there's a belief that if you are being paid in terms of nil, that it means that you are something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in reality you aren't.
Speaker 1: It's just representative of a transaction between you and a company that is trying to accomplish your goal today.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Guarantee you the run in the long run. And so I think you just have to keep that in mind. Do it for the right reasons, but don't let it distract you from the main thing. Like if being an amazing creator and starting a media company and building whatever you're trying to build is the main thing, you can't let the nil deals or the other stuff distract you from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, now I want to move on to your career at Arkansas Little Rock. Obviously you're from Little Rock, so that was you staying home. Can you take us through the process of how you chose to go there and if it had always been your goal to play college at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really I didn't know exactly, you know, what the plan would look like. I knew I wanted to play in college.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I started going to competitive camps and things like between my sophomore and junior year and high school.
Speaker 2: And so after you had that talk with yourself, yes.
Speaker 1: After I had that talk with myself, Okay that from sixteen to seventeen, I was a completely different dude.
Speaker 2: And so it will be interesting. We got to get you back on when I'm seventeen, and then we'll have a whole another.
Speaker 1: Conversation, right, And so, you know, I started to be recruited by some colleges, mostly in the region, right Rice University, Texas, A and M. There were some other schools in the Alabama area, Samford, Sam Houston. There were a number of like regional schools, but I Little Rock wasn't necessarily at the top of that list until they moved to the Sun Belt Conference and so kind of you know, with all the conference realignment and everything going on, like when the school goes from maybe a low major mid major to a.
Speaker 2: Higher everything, it changes everything.
Speaker 1: And I saw it as an opportunity to compete in a really competitive conference. And so that was the perks have been at home. One of the assistant coaches was my best friend's dad. I trusted that he would not guarantee me or promise me anything, but I trusted that he would be there to hold me account the bull and helped me understand the right thing. So that's that was a big part of why I went in that duration.
Speaker 2: Okay, now let's move on to you. Now we've talked about you at sixteen. I want to know who has been the most impactful coach in your life.
Speaker 1: Man, I don't want to do the most Yeah, I don't want to do a disservice or not. You know my high school coaches. You know a lot of the things that I started to learn and understand about how hard you have to work.
Speaker 3: You know, we're in high school. But I.
Speaker 1: Feel Jackson obviously is the most recent of those coaches. So you know, I have to kind of probably start there. And the reason why we would say feel from an impact standpoint is, men, we have a like and you'll understand this when you get a little older. You know, we we have a way of like our egos are just brutal, and it creates, Yeah, it creates these narratives and things in our mind about what we are and what we aren't and what we should be and who's who owes us? And you know, man, I'm better than this guy? Why am I not getting this?
Speaker 3: And this?
Speaker 1: We just want everything from everybody to like respect us and show us what's up. And Feel was the first coach that I thought took a more balanced approach to coaching players and really helping us understand kind of how the brain works in terms of how we respond to things. How you know that that gap between stimulus or the action or something taking place and then what happened is not really what's controlling your anger frustration is your attitude and your response to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like.
Speaker 1: He helped me unlock a level of performance that I hadn't been able to access prior to because I always played on edge. Like I was the type of guy that like, if you scored on me, I was going to try to come back and score on you. Yeah, because I had to prove to you that I'm just as good as you are.
Speaker 3: And he helped me kind of disconnect from that.
Speaker 2: And do you think the lessons that Phil taught you have now helped you mold yourself as a coach?
Speaker 1: Now, yes, by far. Like I think if a player does not understand he or she is one hundred percent not ninety ninety eight percent, one hundred percent respond and one hundred percent ownership and one hundred percent accountable for everything that's happening, they're going to struggle. Yeah, and you're going to struggle anyway. But so many of us as athletes, we're so quick to push it off on everything else and everybody else as to why we're not performing well. Coach didn't start me, or they're not running the right offense around my game. Oh they told me this, it's not this. Oh, but you know if I would have gone back, and there are so many reasons why other than you just need to be better, period, and you're in complete control of being better. And even sometimes when you're better, the world is not conspiring against you. For you to not be what you think you are. It's just that's how it works sometimes, and so that that's how I try to help the players I coach now is like take myself out of it. I'm not trying to make it seem like I'm so smart that I made you into who you are. Yeah, you're you do that. I'm here to help and support you and guide you. But it's ultimately your job.
Speaker 2: That's so deep everything. Wow, oh my gosh, if you were my coach, like that's crazy. Okay, what was your welcome to the league moments?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in training camp, I mean I had a bunch of them because I played against a lot of always won. Yeah, I played against a lot of great, great players, you know, in the mid to late nineties. But I mean kind of almost right away in training camp, like you know, at Arkansas, a little rock in the conference we played in, the big men were like six seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big difference from.
Speaker 1: Ye And so all of a sudden, I get the training camp with the Lakers and I'm driving to the basket and every time I drive to the basket, Shock is blocking the shot. You know, Eldon Campbell's rotating over from the backside blocking the shot, and after a couple of days, Dale Harris, who was the head coach at the time, he's like, Fish, you might want to think about a different approach to trying to drive to the basket because you're not going to get that off. And Shack was pretty much blocking the shot with his underarm pit because that's how low I was and how he was, and that right away helped me adjust to playing in the NBA and what they was going to be.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: On the topic of Shock, what's the craziest thing you've ever seen Shock do on the court? And then if it's PG, you can tell me what's the craziest thing you've ever seen him do?
Speaker 3: Off? Yeah, that was my first question was what platforms.
Speaker 2: Or for the sixteen year old mind, what's the craziest thing you've seen.
Speaker 3: Him do the craziest thing you've seen Shack do?
Speaker 1: For the sixteen year old mind, I'll say, like you, I'm sure for teenagers, like, well, I don't know about teenagers today. When we were teenagers, mooning people was like a thing. Yeah, sounds super weird that people would like moon people as a way of It's kind of like a way of saying few to people sometimes anymore. So We're playing the Sacramento Kings in the Western Conference Finals in two thousand and two, and this is after a couple of years of you know what people call a rivalry, even though the Kings never won a series. But that's for another episode. And so in two thousand and two, they have home court advantage, so brutal seven game series. They literally had us on the ropes, could have knocked us out, they didn't. Sacramento is, like still today, loves the Kings as passionate as a fan base as you could ever find. Phil Jackson basically pissed them off, and they were bringing cow bells into the arena. It was loud and a lot of anger in the building. So anyway, we show up for game seven, and people, you know, for playoff games, it's not like the regular season where people are like rolling up right after work and trying to get to the game. Playoff games just like it's afternoon game. People are like outside tailgating like football. So the bus is we're pulling up to Arco Arena and there's a group of people that were at early to the game almost every time, and they would moon us as we drove by on the bus. What are we supposed to do about that? Like we're on their way to the game.
Speaker 2: All right, you don't even have to look, you can look for it.
Speaker 3: It's just there, like there's nowhere, it's nowhere you can go.
Speaker 1: So so we show up, you know, for game seven. Of course they moon us again, oblige. And then so you know, we walk into Arco Arena, we put our uniforms on. We win game seven and Sacramento and as champions do, and we get on the bus. We're leaving our Co arena and Shack kindly returns the favor to the fans that had been sharing uh their assets.
Speaker 2: With us, this entirely to get off the bus to do this. No, no, no.
Speaker 1: No, didn't get off the bus just uh, I don't. I don't remember the name of the bus company. But their window needed to be I see, wiped off a little bit, you know, after the experience.
Speaker 3: But that's for the sixteen year old.
Speaker 2: Imagine if that happened, like we're social.
Speaker 1: Media, like, yeah, so many things that existed. Yeah no, some people would not be as accomplished as they are. Well no, you know what, I take that, bet, I.
Speaker 2: Think you think viral.
Speaker 1: I appreciate about the younger generation. I do think that today people are more accepting, and maybe always have been, but more accepting of the fact that we're all imperfect. Yeah, and it's okay if you made some mistakes before or you did something that I wouldn't do, But that doesn't mean I'm still not gonna laugh at your jokes.
Speaker 3: I'm still not gonna watch your show.
Speaker 1: I'm still not gonna you know, I'm still not gonna come to the game and cheer for you because you did something stupid that I wouldn't do. It wasn't like that when I was your age, Like people would just decide that you were a bad person because you made a bad choice, and then they would just be done. You couldn't sell them anything else, ever, And it's not like that anymore, And I kind of kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Cool, all right, So you've played on five differn NBA teams with some pretty incredible players.
Speaker 1: I had a couple of coffee you on like one of those in.
Speaker 2: A quarter, but you technically were one in a couple off with some pretty incredible teammates. Can you give us your starting five of your best ever teammates. Okay, you don't have to count.
Speaker 1: I've been asked this question before, but like I always have to clarify teammates meaning greatness in basketball or like teammates like you know what I mean, like we could have a best test time ever at a party and.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the clarification. Like actually in like basketball talents.
Speaker 3: Because I don't want people to like feel.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I'm not making you like rank people and like how good of a person they are?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, you know, because I've had some great teammates on the court and then some guys were amazing teammates.
Speaker 2: And personally, I mean, you know, it didn't suck, but.
Speaker 3: No, they didn't suck. Just they weren't as good as.
Speaker 2: Cold Okay, I see, yes, which nobody else in the world.
Speaker 1: Basically it was as good as Kobe. I'll start with Kobe. I'd say he would definitely be on the list. Shaq would be on the list, Kevin Durant would be on the list. Uh Russell Westbrook probably would be on the list. I mean, man, it's probably a I have more years playing with Palgosol than I did James Harden, but those got as would probably be neck and neck is in terms of like that fifth spot.
Speaker 2: Got you got you? So clutch Player of the Year is the newest NBA award. If you had to add an award to the NBA Awards, what do you think it would be?
Speaker 1: M m.
Speaker 3: Hm, And they are I mean they have so many yeah, player.
Speaker 2: Ye six man, coach, coach year yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coaching yeah yeah, good question. If we were going to add an award, I think we need an MVP of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Now, you don't think finals MVP covers that, No.
Speaker 1: Okay, finals MVP covers the finals. Yeah, because a guy could have a terrible first three, but in the finals, if he averages thirty five a game, he's gonna be the finals MVP, you know, and vice versas, like a guy could have a great first three rounds and suck in the finals and he won't win finals MVP. But I do think there's a case for like, the best player in the playoffs win or lose. Luca would have had a chance even though the Mavericks lost. And you know, you have to put the contingencies in place, right or the criteria of like you have to at least make it to the conference finals. Like the run that Nicola Jokic has been on in the postseason at certain points where it's like, but if the Nuggets didn't win the title, yeah, he clearly was still the best player in all of the NBA playoffs. I just think it would be interesting. And what made me think of it was in the NHL they have the trophy where there was a lot of debate over whether a player on the losing team yes, deserve to win it yeah, which sparks.
Speaker 2: A lot of debate, like debate so totally. So, you were in many great playoff battles. Which one stands out the most to you? And why? Mmmm?
Speaker 3: It's a good question. I would say, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm full of those.
Speaker 3: I would say, ooh.
Speaker 1: Personally, Game three of the twenty ten NBA Finals team collectively Game seven of the twenty ten NBA Finals, That series I think required me, individually and I think collectively our team to go to deeper levels of grit and physical and mental toughness than probably any series that I had played in. Like the Celtics were that hard to play again and stayed so physical, so hard to score against them. Yes, But Game three of the twenty ten NBA finals for me individually, probably stands out the most.
Speaker 3: Like I Paul Pierce. You know, the CELF just beat us in the finals in O eight.
Speaker 1: You know, they enjoyed it and they still celebrated as though they won so many more, but only one.
Speaker 3: And I get it.
Speaker 1: It's hard to win one, So I don't It's not I'm not taking anything away from their one. But so you know, they beat us in No. Eight, deserve to win, no no hate. And so then in twenty ten, we had home court advantage. We won Game one, we lost Game two. Series is tied at one one. At that time, all three middle games were for the road team, so we were about to go to Boston for three road game games and Paul Pierce says to the media after game two series is over, we're not coming back to La.
Speaker 3: Okay. Yeah, Paul Pierce a bold guy.
Speaker 1: Like it wasn't like, oh my god, like I'm surprised that he said it, but it got to me and I was asked about it by the media the next day before practice, and it was a lesson in you don't always have to respond when people try to bait you into something or get you to engage in a conversation you don't want to have. So I got asked a very direct question like you you're asking me here, and I just stared at the reporter that asked me. The question was Jim Hill, and just stared at him.
Speaker 2: That's awkward.
Speaker 1: I would have definitely been it, bro And in my mind, I'm like, and I'm sure in my face it's like, I'm not even going to dignify that question with an answer. But I channeled that energy into Game three in Boston, and the fourth quarter of Game three was one of my best playoff quarters that I could speak to ever.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 1: Think it came from that place of like carrying that energy of like, I'm not gonna let Paul Piers be right.
Speaker 3: They're not beating us again this year.
Speaker 1: And I went to a different place, and I remember getting emotional after the game because it was just it was that much invested in us trying to win that game, and I, individually, like I said, it just went to places that I hadn't gone to before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to go back and touch on something you said earlier, sort of about like your work, ethic and grit and having played eighteen seasons in the NBA, how did you keep that up for eighteen plus years and stay in shape?
Speaker 3: Also, No, that was all I knew it was.
Speaker 1: That was my superpower, my work ethic, uh, my my discipline, my attention to detail, understanding the game plan, you know, not being emotional with wins and losses and getting too high too low. Like my superpower was consistency and sustainability. Way more guys talented than me, taller, more athletic. I don't know about its handsome, But that's for another that I'll let my wife, you know, talk about. You know, we'll see how she feels about that. But and so, because it was what I used to get there, then I felt like I can't lose that.
Speaker 3: Because the only reason I'm here is because of my work ethic.
Speaker 2: So it just stuck with you.
Speaker 1: It just stuck with me the whole time. Like I'm never gonna wake up and come to practice and not bring that. I might, I might miss some shots today, but it's not gonna be too many dudes that's gonna work harder than me, day in and day out for eighteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's how that you stick for eight years. People use that. So moving on, this has already been a pretty crazy offseason and we're only like three days, two days into free agency. If you were Rob Linka, what are three things you would do to fix the Lakers this offseason?
Speaker 1: If I was rapping Linka, you would have had to talk to a few more people to get me to you know what I mean, to be here.
Speaker 3: But you know it was easy to get me here today. You know.
Speaker 1: No, I mean fix the Lakers, you know. I think it's we asked those questions in that way we all do, right. We feel like there's something that we can do. And I don't know if we can fix teams like team is still team. It's like a it's like a recipe, Like you don't just fix that, yeah, you know, like it takes time to make the decisions and the adjustment.
Speaker 3: So the three things.
Speaker 2: Maybe a better way a word it would be, how do you think you could improve that recipe that team?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, right now, they don't have a lot of levers to pull in order to kind of start down that path. The first thing they you know, they did do right is is there was.
Speaker 3: A coaching change that.
Speaker 1: Brings JJ Redik in and although he doesn't have coaching experience in the NBA. But I do think great coaches and we'll we'll still see if he ends up being that. They're they're amazing communicators, Like they are effective at communicating a message and being clear about the standards and the expectations, et cetera. And it's something for me even that I'm I'm still learning myself. Yeah, but it's clear that JJ kind of has that feel already, which is great. And then the relationships with people that you're going to be doing this with they have to also buy into that vision. So that's the first thing that you always have to do to improve things, is like get someone in there that can share the message, execute on the message, keep people bought into the message. If you lose that, it doesn't matter if you have Lebron, Ad, etc. So that's first. Second, I think they continue to invest in whatever levels of like in terms of their performance team and what will allow them to be like the healthiest team in the NBA. And if that's managing the amount of games that Lebron and AD play or their minutes or whatever it is that keeps those guys healthy is as important of a decision as they can make as well. And then I think the third thing, which I think is also interesting that JJ Reddick is the head coach, is shooting has to become the number one priority, not necessarily because defense won't be still a top priority. But I'm wondering if like JJ will have an ability to help guys connect to like just shooting the ball better total, because if they can shoot the ball better and not even percentage wise, like they have to shoot more threes. They have not shot enough threes in recent years. And so these are all things that again, even though JJ hasn't coached before, the things that I think he's gonna lean towards are the things that can help improve the situation. Yeah, we'll have to wait and see. But you know, doing the same thing over is the definition of insanity. So they made a change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like you're gonna give Rob Blinker run first money because that was a good answer. I feel like you thought that went through. Okay, Now we're doing some rapid fire, so we gotta go fast sort.
Speaker 3: Of one word thank you for saying that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course, God, I love it. You're giving such detailed answers, but this is a rapid fire section. Yeah, Okay, In the next five years. Who's going to be the face of the league, Victor Weber. Who is an underrated player in the league that you want to show love to?
Speaker 1: That is an unbelievable question. I gotta sing f one guy too underrated, rapid fire that it's not your forte. I have no idea, honestly, Like, I can't think of one guy that jumps out to me personally. Yeah, that's that's a that's a pass right there for now, we'll come back here.
Speaker 2: You have one past, so now you have to answer literally everything. Who is your favorite w NBA player to.
Speaker 3: Watch Chelsea Gray good one?
Speaker 2: Who is next up in women's basketball Caitlyn Clark during your eighteen seasons? Who was the hardest player that you had to guard?
Speaker 1: I got a list of those guys, But John Stockton gave me my first master's degree.
Speaker 2: So John Stockton, what did you buy with your first NBA check?
Speaker 3: A condo in the Marina? Love it?
Speaker 2: What's a fashion trend you've seen with your high school players that you just do not understand?
Speaker 3: Wearing pajamas to everything?
Speaker 2: I agree, like I think that they think girls like it because I don't. Okay, I don't that's my message, all right. So we're gonna play a game and let's see how you do. This is also sort of rapid fire. So okay, sorry, if this is a yeah, it is, I'm going to give you a word and you're gonna have to tell me the first current NBA player that comes to your mind when.
Speaker 3: I say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you ready?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay? Defense Jade McDaniels, i Q, i Q true holiday.
Speaker 1: Clutch, look at Dancic, selflessness, Mike Conley, Aura.
Speaker 3: Shake, Gil Jess Alexander.
Speaker 2: Perfect answer, veteran Lebron vision, Lebron instincts.
Speaker 3: Oh, Kyrie Irving, you did so well.
Speaker 2: That was so fast. Look at that when you really walk in I.
Speaker 1: Feel yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay that the first one. Just yeah that that blew my brain completely off.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the last thing we're gonna do is trivia. But it's not just any trivia. This is trivia about yourself, which might sound easy, right, but most get like one.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So let's see how well Derek Fisher knows Derek Fisher, who were the other four players on the court with you when you hit your famous zero point four second shot?
Speaker 1: Okay, Gary Payton and bounded the ball to me. Shaq Kobe karmelone.
Speaker 2: Great, okay, good start. So you have one point?
Speaker 3: Wait, it tolt me a easy one.
Speaker 2: That was my lot. Uh huh. In nineteen ninety six, you were picked twenty fourth by the Lakers. Who was the twenty third pick and who was the twenty fifth pick?
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have to say. I asked this question to almost everyone. Your answers are very random, like usually people, I'm like, oh, like, I think you should know that, Like, yours are from Here's might hint you. Yours are from Greece and Estonia.
Speaker 3: See one one of my answers I was going to say is Dreni Silgascas.
Speaker 1: No, but he was higher. Yeah, Greece in Estonia. Yeah, yeah, I'm clueless. Twenty three and twenty five okay, I was already listening to twenty I would twenty twenty five has no just like anyone.
Speaker 3: The amount of tears that were rolling down my face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty three I probably should remember because you were so there was one more person and I was like, yeah, it wasn't me.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how to pronounce these names, but I'm going to try, okay, f the mumious Rencias seriously, m hm was that a really bad pronunciation?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I don't even know who to okay.
Speaker 2: And then twenty fifth was Martin Moore, sap more more sep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no distruct Okay.
Speaker 2: Now I don't remember no, okay, but like I wonder if I them, if they ever want to come on, would they remember that Derek Fisher got drafted before. Okay, so you have one point? You were on season twenty five of Dancing went to Stars. Who were the two other pro athletes on the show that season?
Speaker 3: Well, there was two other pros owner pro athletes. Tara Owens, yes, who is the other is a female?
Speaker 2: Yes? M I wanted to tell you the sport. Sure, okay, but then you get like zero point one five points off if you got it. I feel like that doesn't really count. Wrestling wrestling.
Speaker 3: It was a female wrestler own it.
Speaker 2: I think, so, I'm pretty sure that's what Google said.
Speaker 3: I mean, Rander Rosey's a boxer or like may, it wasn't random Rassey wrestling, I think Okay.
Speaker 2: Nikki Bellah, yeah, yeah, okay on that one for a second, I was like, but like, okay, yeah, wrestling don't make the wrestling community matter.
Speaker 3: No, wrestling is a sport.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're just clarifying it is a sport. Yes, but I feel like there's me a butt.
Speaker 1: I think there's a difference between wrestling and WWE. Sure like wrestling is like the old school, Like.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're saying, oh, you're like.
Speaker 1: Olympic Olympic wrestling. Yes, that's like what comes to mind when you say wrestling.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, I see. No, that's fair, that's fair. Okay, I still.
Speaker 3: Should have got it.
Speaker 2: You're still yeah, great, people, I should I should lacking. Okay, whatever, But that was like half a point because you got so you're like at like one point five points terrible. Yeah, okay. You with the most free throws made in Arkansas Little Rock history. How many free throws did you make over your college career?
Speaker 3: Let me say four years.
Speaker 2: I think the numbers also going to stress you out because it's very close to like a milestone thirty games.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was like two fifty two or two one seventy nine.
Speaker 2: I don't know which one of those is your final one.
Speaker 1: I'd say closer to two fifty two because thirty games a year times four, that's one twenty. There were definitely games I shot more than two free throws, but I wasn't like Shack. I didn't go to the free throw line ten times a game. So two oh nine.
Speaker 2: Okay, like you're reasoning, but it's wrong. It's three ninety nine, which I feel like is also annoying because you probably wanted that like extra one, like four hundred that would have been like sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but three ninety nine that's pretty said, nice to get to the lot.
Speaker 2: Nice. Okay, you're still you don't know myself though. Okay, so this is your last question and you can get two points from it. But I'm you're really smart guy, and I feel like you're lacking in your trivia.
Speaker 1: Well, no, you know, it's really interesting because I think I'm inspired to learn more about myself.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad. I'm so glad I've been able to.
Speaker 3: Know so many things about everything else.
Speaker 2: But no, yourself. Wow, look at that. Okay, how many Arkans hell little rock players have ever played in the NBA other than yourself or including yourself?
Speaker 1: Okay, Pete Myers, Yeah, I mean technically my brother went there for one year before he went to Juco and then went to Middle Tennessee State.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he counts.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not telling you. I'm just gonna let you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, Pete Myers is the other one for that's a definite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a definite. That was actually a question, which is who's gonna be the who is the most notable? So you can get like half point on that.
Speaker 1: I feel like, I mean, I feel like there's one more guy, so three, it's nine, yes, nine, okay.
Speaker 2: I mean they didn't have to play in the NBA for eighteen years like you, but like days eighteen, that counts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nine. Look at that?
Speaker 3: Did you have the names?
Speaker 2: I don't, but we can get that. I'm at it now. You look at that. Yeah, it's you finished the trivia with like two points out of I sort of my grading is a little iffy, but I would say like five or six seven. Yeah, either way, spad pretty bad. But it's okay, you got this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you know, I'm not.
Speaker 2: A trivia got your best? No, but I'm not a I don't overly focus, Okay on yourself. Okay, that's what they all say once you don't get the points right, Okay, okay, Well anyways, Derek, thank you so much for being here. I had so much fun, lot of fun. Thanks for listening to this episode of Sloan Notes. You can get links to my socials and see behind the scenes fun from Derek and I in the Shadows, or just search at Sloan Nose on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube. Remember that slow with me sa