Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody? With mandatory mini camp on the rise and for the Jets, we're gonna deliver some OTA practice observations with Ethan Greenbergy plus all deliver an extra point and meet anybody in the world, and I think we're gonna win.
Speaker 2: Next Sunday's.
Speaker 1: Money. Can't wait. Put your seat belts on and get ready for the ride. Official Jets Podcast is presented by Kendra Scott, the jewelry company that's shining bright and doing good shop Game Day Ready, jewelry styles and so much more at kendrascott dot com. Greens Good morning, Good morning, how you doing, good man? It's gonna be a hot day today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, it doesn't feel like it's June weather yet, it feels like outside, feels like it's the morning of training camp.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be in the nineties today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you like that?
Speaker 1: All right? So did you get your morning work out of it?
Speaker 2: I did, but a little bit on the uh, on the il with the hammy.
Speaker 3: So we just got an elevated walk, did.
Speaker 2: Some foam rolling, some stretching, light stretching, and then hopefully we'll.
Speaker 3: We'll get back to it.
Speaker 1: So the EYL is the injured list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is. It is.
Speaker 2: I went baseball because I didn't want to say the injury report.
Speaker 3: It's not. I think I would be game time decision. I'd be a pregame.
Speaker 2: Workout, but I think I'd end up going if it was the end, if it was a Sunday football.
Speaker 1: You went tough it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tough it out for sure.
Speaker 1: All right. So I went to the gym this morning and I was jealous of this dude. He asked me for a spot and he had one eighty five on the bench. Okay, I was thinking, well, maybe it's gonna go five seven whatever. Ye had me there just in case because he wanted to max out. He went eighteen times one eighty.
Speaker 3: Five, eighteen reps for one eighty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was really jealous. That was impressive.
Speaker 2: What's going through your mind when he like when he hits ten, like, oh, oh my god, how many are you doing?
Speaker 1: No, it was more so, Wow, he's got a lot more in him right here. And once he went to ten, I knew he was just gonna go. Okay at what was he didn't even need me at eighteen?
Speaker 3: But what did you think he was gonna do like around ten.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's in there every morning. The dude is Jack. He's in really good shape, you know. That's why I was wondering, like, how many he's gonna go? Right, you know, and goes eighteen? Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is he he a tall guy too?
Speaker 1: No, I'd say he had probably five to ten hundred and seventy pounds. Nobody fat Jack, you know, the probably one hundred and eighty pounds.
Speaker 3: Good for him.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that was inspiring for me this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eighteen times?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many times do you think you could do it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I don't think I could do eighteen.
Speaker 3: How many do you think ag could do?
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: He seemed like he could. He could tough out double digits.
Speaker 1: All right, So you're and so you're transitioning right to Aaron Glennon. That's good. So here's how we're gonna start with the background information here that the Jets had ten OTAs. The media and myself and you and Caroline and other folks were out there to only watch three practices. So you're getting a small view of OTAs here this spring. It's thirty percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and it's also I know coach Glenn says it all the time.
Speaker 3: They're an underwear, They're an underwear.
Speaker 2: It's you know, I'll never forget two thousand and I guess it would have been seventeen. My it was my second season the Jets had drafted a rookie or this was twenty eighteen Mini camp. They drafted Chad Hanson. In twenty seventeen, Chad Hanson had a fantastic spring and everyone was calling it like the Spring of Chad. Chad Hanson looked like he had taken the sophomore jump, and he had.
Speaker 3: He had. He routed up Morris Claiborne in the spring.
Speaker 2: And then I remember, you know, Todd was to send Todd Bowles at the time was like, basically, don't pay attention to that. It's just just a spring. Pads are off, Let's see what happens. And then Chad Hanson, let's just say, came back to Earth a little bit in the spring or in the summer, should I say so?
Speaker 1: Look at youth ro On Hanson and Molk Claiborne out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, two Jets legends, very good in the immaculate grid. By the way, if you need Morris Claiborne for a little Cowboy jet, maybe even Chief jet, that's a good immaculate grid answer right there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's start with Aaron Glenn. I was watching some practice highlights that you can check out in New York Jests dot com or YouTube or any of our social platforms, and you notice on the back of his shirts his grind. That's been kind of a mantra around here that the Jets are gonna work. And one thing that stood out to you yesterday that we're talking about here in the halls is that Josh Reynolds said, no surprise, we're gonna work here.
Speaker 2: And that's coming from a guy that was on the opposite side of the ball with Aaron Glenn in Detroit, which I thought was cool. And you know what was the question the media asked him, like, Oh, are people coming up to you asking like what's coach Glenn like or what does he think or whatever? And Reynolds said no, because he'll just tell you straight up. And that seems to be another theme from the players that Coach Glenn tells it how it is in real time too. It's not like one of those things where you have to kind of guess where you stand with him, like he'll just tell you this is what I saw.
Speaker 3: I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: This is what I saw. I liked it, and let's move on. Reynolds did say to your point, people come up to him like, Hey, what's training camp gonna be like, He's like, yeah, we're gonna work.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm expecting the grind.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts on AG because my early takeaway is that he's constant movement. He's always in motion. Like if you see him in one spot in individual drills, he'll be with a different positional grid. It seems like a minute later, then a minute later he's across the field, maybe switching sides from offense to defense. He's hopping around. Because if you see Glenn, he's never staying in one spot, constantly has his eyes and everything. And that's the way he said he was gonna be in terms of hey, I'm not calling defensive plays. Yes, I was a defensive coordinator Detroit. Steve Wilkes is gonna call defensive plays, and I got Tanner here is gonna handle the offense. And obviously Chris Bancho is a special teams coordinator, but he's got his hand on everything in terms of being evolved.
Speaker 2: I liked that he calls up practice and says like this is unacceptable if that's what he thinks. I remember, I remember who said it, but someone was talking about how he called up practice. I don't think it was a public day, and he was like, I didn't like the energy yesterday, or yeah, I didn't like the players talking.
Speaker 3: Let's say on a Thursday.
Speaker 1: I think that was justin fields last week.
Speaker 2: Right, So, but the ota we saw was a Thursday, so I guess Wednesday's practice wasn't what Glenn had hoped for in terms of energy, so he called it up in the middle of like this, I don't like this, like fix it and then get back and then they got back to work.
Speaker 3: So I think it's cool.
Speaker 2: I think in a way, coach Glenn very much embodies like the stereotypical New Yorker, you know, just kind of like cutthroat to the point like I'll tell you how it is. It's not going to be demeaning. But if you don't like it, fix it. And I think that's cool. And you know, I think that it's a little bit different.
Speaker 1: So we're up in the balcony second floor outside, so we're not field level. So sometimes when something's happening and you see a group of players, converge can't actually see who's exchanging pleasantries. It seemed like temperatures rose during Wednesday's open workout, and ag brought them together and said, hey, fellas, weren't underwear, no need for this right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's another example of like coach Glenn just not really liking what he's saying, brings him up, stop it and let's start over. And you know, it's interesting, I think that in camp, as in training camp, like tempers really do flair. You kind of saw some of the guys on the outside of the huddle joking around, like I don't know.
Speaker 3: How serious the tempers were flaring, but.
Speaker 2: It did feel a little like joky at times, and so I think maybe I was a part of the reason that he called it up at.
Speaker 1: The end of the skirmishes or verbal altercations. We should say. It was definitely very vocal out there on the field. And one thing that stood out after practice is Aaron Glenn said the competes are getting to where they need to be a level he's creating a standard tier. He's telling the players, this is where you have to be every time you're out there on the practice field, and he's encouraged by where they're at right now. Again, the Jets have not practiced in pads and that won't happen until July twenty three, twenty four, or maybe even beyond that. So we got a ways to go. But the off season is quickly coming to an end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And didn't coach Glenn say like, it's kind of crazy how quick it's been, But it really, it really is kind of wild to think about that. Coach Glenn feels like he's been here for a long time, but he's been here since what January? Yep, So it's it's it's been quick. But also to your point on the practices being loud, like Malachi Moore, who's a rookie, had the pick six the other day and he's he's celebrating with his teammates. Jalen Simpson had to pick he does a back a cartwheel into a backflip to end practice. Like those two guys specifically stand out to me because you can really sense the I don't know if confidence is the word, but the Jets defense were loud the day and the offense to speaking right back at Adam like the fourth and fourteen conversion from Tyrod Taylor to Xavier Gibson, like the offense was clapping back at the defense. And to bring this all full circle, like, you really do see the competitive nature on both sides of the ball coming to life, which is cool because there's only so much you can take away from practices without pads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's clear what kind of team that Aaron wants. He wants these guys to be disciplined, detailed, and again he wants their competition level just to be on match throughout the National Football League. All right, So let's get to the players. Justin fields. He's working under a fourth offensive coordinator five years in Tanner Angstrand. This is his third professional team entering season five, former number eleven or overall pick in twenty twenty one. As we all know, early impressions.
Speaker 2: Well, the early impressions is for me is that he's dynamic, and I know that's not news, but when you see it, it's a little different.
Speaker 3: Like when he takes.
Speaker 2: The ball, rolls out either way, there's nothing there and all of a sudden, he takes off and it's kind of a foot race to the sideline and he's running very, very quickly. It's a different dynamic than what the Jets have had for a long time. So I think that's something that we won't really be able to see the full benefit of until the regular season or really the preseason if he plays, because I feel like there's so much that you can't see from a quarterback perspective in practices with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, the Jets have never had a quarterback with this kind of skill set. And it's interesting because we can't talk about, Okay, this guy was lining up with these folks in terms of first team starters and things like that, and also formations what we can say about justin fields is to your point, as far as in the run game, he just adds a different dynamic and it's gonna be fascinating to see how this thing develops. The other thing that I do want to comment on a little bit is that I know a lot of people are saying a couple of the reporters have talked about and I'm not taking shots here, but they have said, you know, he's held on the ball a little bit. I do want to say that, Okay, he's learning a new system too, and he is also learning his receivers now. The only guy that he's had previous experience with is Garrett Wilson as we know. So I mean there's gonna be steps along the way. I think he's passed the ball well, and again in fields, he provides the Jets a different dimension than they've ever had this franchise going back to nineteen sixty. I'm not saying he's gonna be a Hall of Fame player. I'm not saying he's All Pro next year, But how is thing going to develop? How many runs per game is Angstrand going to call for him? How many RPOs per game? Potentially could the Jets call for fields? Because this is a guy who very recently rushed for more than a thousand yards in his career. He's averaged more than fifty yards per game on the ground, and again you're pairing him up in offensive backfield with Breest Hall, Braylan Allen and Isaiah Davis. All those guys can do damage.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing, whether it's justin fields on the ground or justin fields as a passer, Brian Baldinger said it on NFL Network recently, this might be the best offensive line that Justin Fields has played behind in his career, And so you know that's something to take into account too.
Speaker 3: And you know, Pittsburgh, I.
Speaker 2: Think that was a pretty good offensive line, and especially when Fields was starting for them in the first six games before they dealt with some injuries and he went four and two, And you know, I think that I think it'll be interesting to see because I don't think it's gonna be one of those training camps where you're gonna be like, oh my, you're gonna be wowed by the offense. I think you'll see progression. I think that you'll see moments be like, wow, that was dynamic in this term.
Speaker 3: We saw Garrett Wilson have a sick catch the other day.
Speaker 2: But like, I really think the crazy part or the part about Fields that you can't evaluate is on game day because he's not gonna take off against the defense, lower.
Speaker 3: His shoulder or slide or whatever.
Speaker 2: He's gonna wear the red non content jersey, you'd imagine. So there's only so much to me from an evaluation perspective that will truly be able to get a field for what this offense.
Speaker 3: Will look like.
Speaker 1: The dudes really like him too. He's got a calmness, a poise about him, of confidence, and I liked last week how he responded when he said some of the coaches said, Hey, we need you to be a little bit more vocal here and the guys are gonna feed off your energy. And a following day, Hey, when we were out there, you saw him bouncing around and being a little bit more vocal, and you saw the guys gravitating towards their leader.
Speaker 2: And Garrett Wilson said, he might be a quiet dude, but he's pretty commanding in the huddle. And obviously that's something that we're not privy to because we're not in the huddle. But look, I'd take Garrett's word for it. He only played with him for a couple of years at Ohio State. Like, I think that it'll be a cool dynamic and it's I think.
Speaker 3: He's just a quiet dude off the field.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody seems to have said that, whether it's coach Glenn Garrett, John Simpson, but they all seem to really like what they have in terms of justin fields, not only as a player, but as a leader as well.
Speaker 1: I like what I've seen from fields on the field. I like what I've seen from fields off the field. He was in the studio here last week, and I like the way the players talk about him and his coach talks about him as well. This is kind of a cool moment for him, where, hey, you have some offensive line pieces, you do have a very talented offensive backfield, you have been reunited with one of the top receivers in the National Football League and Garrett Wilson. You have some other interesting skill position players that we're gonna get to here in a second. I just think that. And he's also been around the league for four years now, so he has that experience under his belt. So I think all these things coming together again. And we talked two fields last week, and I talked about talked about fields. Is that I'm excited to see where this goes. But again, there's gonna be times out there where, hey, it doesn't necessarily look unbelievable for the offense, especially in training camp, because again, you're one of the system. You're installing, you're going over installation. The defense is putting some things in, They're gonna throw different things at you as well, But I've been encouraged.
Speaker 3: I've been encouraged too, and.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be really cool to see the progression between now and training camp, because obviously this is the first time of the year where like they're really getting into installs, especially when you listen to what coach Glenn said where phases one and two of the offseason program he wanted the players to focus on nothing but strength and conditioning. Phase three, He's like, look, yes, we do have installs, but I want the players main focus to be on identifying and creating a culture what they want the identity.
Speaker 3: Of this team to be. And then.
Speaker 2: The time between the end of Mini camp and training camp, everyone disperses. You'd imagine that they try to dive into the playbook as much as possible, and then training camp day one really get going in terms of what you want the ex's and oster.
Speaker 3: Looks like from a schematics standpoint.
Speaker 1: Let's go up a level. We talked about the quarterback a little bit to suck about the offensive line young, yeah, very talented. You know we were talking about the other day Chucks or kor four. He's the guy up front who has the most experienced seventy eight games in the National Football League, sixty starts. You got Josh Myers who comes in from Green Bay, who's competing up front fifty six games with the Packers, fifty six starts. Then after that you would well, actually in between, you got Simpson, the Jets left guard, who's sixty nine games, fifty five starts. Then you got the young guys tackle position and center with Joe Tipman, Olo fashion new enter in year two, and of course armand Membu there who's competing to be the guy at the right tackle spot.
Speaker 3: It's like it's an impressive group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially from a physical standpoint, Olu. I think people forget how big he is. Like if he's six six, he's a big dude. He looks like he put on some weight in a good way. Going from year one to year two. John Simpson is a big guy. Jo Tipmans remember the book out on him was like centers don't come this tall, avt big dude. Membo might be the smallest one of the bunch, but he's also the youngest of the bunch, and so I think it's a really impressive group.
Speaker 1: I think that and Membo is only going to get stronger I will say exactly, he carries his weight quite well.
Speaker 3: He does six'.
Speaker 1: FOUR i think he's listed to three thirty three thirty. Two, listen he's gonna get. Stronger because this is not really true off.
Speaker 2: Season it kind of reminds me OF, avt like his rookie year to now WHERE avt comes in and you're, like, yeah it's like a big. Dude but you look AT avt in twenty twenty one versus twenty twenty. Five he's obviously. Older he knows how to how to train. More he has a full off, season multiple of training for THE nfl as opposed to training for The, combine then training for your, progay then training the way you want. TO i Remember Joe tipman said something after his rookie year where he was, SAYING i can't wait to just work out the WAY i want to work out out and work out for THE nfl for The, jets not just for The combine and for Pro. Day so to your, POINT i Think membu carries his weight really well and he moves really, Well like that's that's apparent at this time in the. Spring BUT i think to your, point he'll just get stronger as soon as Between mini camp and training.
Speaker 1: CAMP avt forty three games in his, career forty three. Starts we could get to so much here. OFFENSIVELY i wanted to talk about tight ends. Quickly Mason. Taylor, again they're. Shorts he's a. Rookie it's hard not to be excited from what you're seeing from eighty.
Speaker 3: Five, yeah AND i think the hands stand.
Speaker 2: OUT i remember there was one play in our most recent public session where he caught a. BALL i think it Was marcelino McCrary. Ball the linebacker tried to swap the ball out of his, hands like upon cop contact of the ball going into the gloves Of Mason taylor's, hands and.
Speaker 3: He tried to swat he hit four.
Speaker 2: Arm ball remained exactly Where Mason taylor caught. It it seems again early no pads seems to have pretty strong, hands and you, know not for, nothing you.
Speaker 3: KNOW i do Think Jeremy ruckert looks a little bigger. Too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so and you talk about being, reunited maybe that's someone that takes a step up going into twenty twenty five than what we've. Seen Aaron glenn said he thought there was a lot of meat on the bone With.
Speaker 3: Jeremy ruckert in terms of HIS nfl.
Speaker 1: Career so you can check this out in A New york just dot. Com they put up highlights from this third, ota the third open, ota and a number of those plays were inside the red, zone And Mason taylor was getting. BUSY i, mean he's an inviting. Target he's actually bigger in person THAN i feel like the film that showed, it you, know and so in team drill sometimes we've seen him get some space over the middle and to your, point sure handed dude locks it. In then he's got some yack ability butt in the red. Zone he was flashing. Here and you're right about ruck because not only does he have that relationship with, fields but this is his fourth season and maybe the competition amongst that group that Includes Stone smart is going to push these guys to another.
Speaker 2: Level AND i don't think this guy That i'm about to mention is listed at tight. End but you, Know Andrew beck the full, BACK i think he's been getting pretty active here in the spring as, well and some of which has come from the tight end. Spot and you, KNOW i think That Andrew beck IS i don't know if.
Speaker 3: The jets will carry a full. Back obviously neither of us.
Speaker 2: Do But Andrew beck is someone who has a lot of experience in the, league and you, KNOW i wouldn't sleep on him entering training camp because, sure there Is jeremy Rutger There's Mason. Taylor to your, point There's Stone, smart There's Zach, kunz There's Neil. Johnson you, KNOW i Think beck is very much in the. Mix is there as well because he has experienced as a pass, catcher as a full. Back he also In houston he had a kickoff return. Touchdown they, tried someone tried to squib, it he got.
Speaker 3: It and he ran it.
Speaker 1: Back, hey the more you can do exactly teams experience and special teams is going to be an emphasis. Here very interesting to see what it all looks like when everybody gets the pads. On but through three OTAs you, know eighty five is. Jump Mason taylor has, jumped and to your, point rutgerd has gotten involved as. Well so maybe from all offensive philosophical discussion or perspect you're going to see the tight ends with The. Jets you, know it's a new, system but we Saw detroit's tight ends what they could do and how much they were used.
Speaker 2: Totally, YEAH i mean it's hard not. To you, KNOW i often struggle BECAUSE i try. TO i often struggle thinking About detroit's offense because the personnel at quarterback is so different than what The jets.
Speaker 3: Have but obviously it's easy to think, about all.
Speaker 2: Right Aaron glenn came From, Detroit Tanner engstrand comes From. Detroit Ben johnson obviously goes From detroit To, chicago and you're, like, well maybe it'll look kind of like like some elements will look the, same like how the tight end is. Used The lions have a one to two punch out running, Back Aaron glenn. Said The jets have a one two three punch out running back With Breest, Hall Braylan allen And Isaiah. Davis LIKE i think you would imagine The jets would want to try to establish the run in every single, game especially with the dynamic element of justin. Fields that's not something that That detroit has With Jared. Goff So i'm really interested to see what are the principles Of detroit's offense That Tanner engstrand is going to try to replicate here with The, Jets BECAUSE i don't, KNOW i don't know What detroit does that The jets do and vice, versa or The jets want to do because the personnel is.
Speaker 1: Just a little. Different, yeah and this coaching staff has been emphasizing play, style play, style, violent, physical both sides of the, ball wide receiver. Position you like that mantra de, mantra no, block no.
Speaker 2: Rock, YEAH i MEAN i think it goes hand in hand to WHAT i just, Said, LIKE i think The jets are going to try to establish.
Speaker 1: Got bigger dudes. ON i mean these. Guys you Got reynolds on the, outside he loves the physicality. Aspect Alan, hazard the book on him has always been that. Blocker, yeah it's very good. Blocker these guys got.
Speaker 3: Some Tyler johnson has size.
Speaker 1: Too there you. Go so that's a guy we're probably not talking enough about, IT i.
Speaker 3: Think Tyler. Johnson, YEAH i agree with.
Speaker 2: That, well you, KNOW i think what to your, point the biggest difference of The jets receiver room is just the size.
Speaker 1: ASPECT A smith will get after you.
Speaker 2: Too, yeah like realistically of the, guys you, KNOW i know he's not practicing right, now but LIKE Irv Charles Special Teams, demon he's a big dude.
Speaker 3: TOO i think really the.
Speaker 2: Size the smallest dude on the team at receivers Probably Xavier, kipson but he's obviously been a weapon in special. Teams and you asked a great question the other, Day Xavior gibson changes number from eighty two to.
Speaker 3: Three he looks. Quicker is it the? Number is it? Him is it? BOTH i don't, know but he's FLASHED.
Speaker 1: U he definitely has. Flash BUT i do feel like when people are talking about the number two receiver position defaults and The reynolds And, lazard where we should talk some more About Tyler johnson as. Well, YEAH i, Agree and ALSO i do think again not coach speak, here but they're gonna use a lot of different. Personnels SO i think we get caught up in this tagline that who's the number two and who's the NUMBER i don't, KNOW i don't necessarily know if that's gonna be so important that where The jets downstairs are, like who's the? Two all these guys are gonna get some run whomever is.
Speaker 2: Here and to your, point The jets have a plethora of backs that they could line up two running backs at the same, time they could line up two tight ends And Mason, taylor for, example or Or Stone smart and so well here's the other thing, too So. Smart i'm glad you mentioned him because he has a receiver. Body he's a transition receiver to tight.
Speaker 3: End you.
Speaker 2: Know this just came to my mind. Too obviously with The. Lions Jamison williams was fantastic this past season For, detroit but that was really his breakout Here amen ra has been the number one for a while. There who's been the number.
Speaker 3: Two historically over the past couple of. Years, LIKE i don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 2: Question all that to, Say detroit was still very successful because they ran the ball. Well they had a number of different, options whether It's montgomery And gibbs in the, Backfield laporta at tight. End Josh reynolds was there In detroit for a little bit as. Well like to, me that could be what The, jets how The jets implement their. Offense it doesn't need to be so The jets have a wide receiver one And Garrett wilson who is wide receiver, too or else they won't be.
Speaker 3: SUCCESSFUL i don't think that's the.
Speaker 1: Case Garrett wilson has another level in, him AND i think that's.
Speaker 2: Scary oh, yeah oh, YEAH i mean you could. LOOK i think that, Obviously garrett's very.
Speaker 1: Competitive that's the understatement of the year on the.
Speaker 2: Podcast BUT i think you can kind, of you, know you can kind of see it when he's talking to the, Media like so he's very.
Speaker 3: Like, calm very.
Speaker 2: Polite he answers questions and gives thought to his. Answers to, me you could kind of tell those like there might be kind of a it's go time mode for.
Speaker 1: Him his body control is, ridiculous his speed is. Crazy he's got this unique ability to make everything look, similar and there's such a basketball he's he's got such a basketball element to his game in terms of the route running that like the, crossovers, yeah and what he does at the top of the, routes, yep the point how he can and how he can contort his, body and how he can get off the line of. SCRIMMAGE i, mean there's not enough superlatives that you can throw at, chief if you.
Speaker 2: Know WHAT i like most about What i've seen From garrett in the spring is that he's running every single ball all he gets pretty much to the end zone on the far side of the field and you, know get.
Speaker 1: That's what they want from but that's what they want from, him Becase Sean jefferson said it last week that, hey he's kind of a lead by example. Guys he's another guy that we're asking him to be more, vocal, right they want him to take that leadership, role AND i think you can talk about. It he seems like he's embracing.
Speaker 2: It, YEAH i think, So AND i think, that you, know Coach glenn said, it when you're when you're when your top players at any position are here during the voluntary, stage even it's for even if it's for the most part of the voluntary, stage and you're the guy that's first and, drills you catch the, ball you run all the way and finish your rep to the other end. Zone like to, ME i think that sets the standard and sets the identity the, culture you, know how you want every everyone to be on this. Team so to Have Garrett wilson essentially be that for the wide, receivers especially considering that's a pretty young room Behind lazard And, reynolds you, KNOW i think that that's really cool to see and you do see the growth and the maturation Of Garrett wilson even in small things like.
Speaker 1: That amongst some of these guys who are. Undrafted i'm gonna have my eyes On Jamal pritchet's.
Speaker 3: About to say, That, yeah he's.
Speaker 1: Flashed he's flashed out here and, turns, yeah and he. Returns that's. Right you, know he's coming off a season where he led The Sun belt with the eleven and twenty six receiving, yards school record ninety one. Receptions we're twenty five more than the next best receiver in the. Conference and to your, point he's got returnability. Too, yeah so there's.
Speaker 2: Nothing he can do about the thirty six. Number it's just kind of a tough number for a. Receiver that that's.
Speaker 1: Tough it's gonna take us a while to get used to, that, yeah because every time you see, it LIKE i, said a running.
Speaker 3: Back, Honestly i've had that thought sped a.
Speaker 1: Running back who's got some really crazy running.
Speaker 2: Ability especially because special teams happens.
Speaker 3: First So i'm, like all, right thirty six back.
Speaker 2: There i'm like running, back, like wait a, minute why is thirty six lining up Out? Why two periods, later it's because It's Jamal.
Speaker 3: Pritchett just a tough, number.
Speaker 1: All, right let's take a break and then we're gonna talk some. Defense make game Day Dad's. Day from now Until june, fifteenth purchase A Jets mini plan and score postgame field access for a game Of dad's. Choice to take advantage of This Father's day offer presented by Cash, app visit ny jets dot com Slash Mini plans terms. Apply not a bad present For Father's, DAY i don't think so at. All you got any? Plans with three pops coming.
Speaker 3: Up we'll probably just cook something at.
Speaker 2: Home, yeah, yeah he hasn't decided, yet BUT i think we're just gonna probably knowing him will probably want some kind of steak meal at.
Speaker 1: Home that sounds.
Speaker 3: Good what are you gonna?
Speaker 1: DO i don't. Know it feels like a month. Away it's next. Week we'll see play by year. Grants, yeah all, right let's suck, Defense, okay anything?
Speaker 2: Popping, Yeah Quincy williams popping not even from his play, really from how vocal he's. Been you were mentioning how on, offense and the example you gave Was Garrett. Wilson they Want garrett to take like the next step as a Leader Quincy.
Speaker 3: Williams same.
Speaker 2: Thing quincy has been so, vocal not even from a hey do, this do, that but he's calling things.
Speaker 3: Out we're on to your. Point we're on the balcony up.
Speaker 2: Here you can hear him as clear AS i can hear you right now in the. Studio like he has been very, loud very, Vocal AND i think that that's this process of or the growth SHOULD i, say Of Quincy williams has been a parent even and we're not even in pads.
Speaker 1: Yet early on in team periods this, week he was all over the place and you're seeing the. Uppercut the uppercut is read plays really. Well is movement is. Excellent and then that pairing with him and sure, would it's gonna be one of the better linebacker tandems in the. League.
Speaker 2: TOTALLY i think if you're A jets, fan you're, excited and if you're already looking at training camp battles Like i'm looking at who's behind, them because that's another bit of a crowded.
Speaker 1: Room you just Mentioned, marcellino And.
Speaker 2: Marcellino he had a four punch out forced. Fumble he's been a special team STALWART yep over the. YEARS i Mean Keiko, malinoa the, rookie he's huge by the. Way, yeah like he looks like an old school.
Speaker 3: Linebacker oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's the old school mic At, miami of.
Speaker 2: Course and then Who Zaire, BARNES i think looks a little bigger Like Zaire barnes has been his EARLY nfl career has been kind of hampered by. Injuries i'd, say you, KNOW i think That i'm intrigued by the unknown there because he's a guy that when he was, drafted had special teams experience At Western, michigan and you, know to, ME i think that he's a guy that looks a little bit more like the part of a.
Speaker 1: Linebacker we talked About Mason taylor a little. BIT i Think Melachi moore has also been. Impressive you mentioned him in your practice takeaways yesterday as. Well and he's a guy that when we look at the safety, position we Know cisk goes in, there and you Know Tony adams returns as. Well it's going to be interesting to watch him develop throughout training camp Because moore is a guy did a lot of things in That alabama defensive, backfield and The jets were quite happy to get him where they did.
Speaker 2: So much so they traded up to get, him AND i think it's also interesting That malachi more obviously like.
Speaker 3: At.
Speaker 2: Alabama he was the first true freshman to start An alabama season opener Since Minka. Fitzpatrick Coach saban trusted. Him he plays the star, position he gets, Hurt Brian branch takes over for, him he gets. Drafted Then Brian branch ends up telling Coach glenn About moore and gave him a little bit of an insight there that led to The jets feeling comfortable and wanting to draft him trade up to get him in the fourth. Round and THEN i think the coolest part About Malachai moore At alabama when you look at the, career arc starts as a true, Freshman Brian branch eventually takes over for him at The. Star malachai more than two time team captain After branch leaves and transitions from The star to safety only and has his best year of his.
Speaker 3: Career so he's.
Speaker 2: VERSATILE i think that he opens or he comes to a position at safety that has a little bit of an opening next To Andre.
Speaker 3: Cisco to, me that's a.
Speaker 2: Competition maybe you, know the coaches might think, differently but to, us it feels like we don't know who the second safety would be After, cisco.
Speaker 1: Right so, listen you Know ta is a heady ball, player you, know and he's a competitive dude. HIMSELF i think for somebody like more though that he's cerebral and physical and at the same, time you, know all the rookies are gonna be once they're more comfortable in the, System you're gonna just see them play. Faster that's just natural because there's a lot of learning out here right now for any of the. Rookies But moore's a. Guy eye my eyes on A Z thomas and looks the part he did coming out Of Florida. State now you're starting to see him flash making plays in the.
Speaker 2: BALL i feel, like similar to wide, receiver how there's just a big size difference. THERE i feel like defensive, back same. Thing even OBVIOUSLY Dj reid was a fantastic player for The. Jets Brandon, stevens who comes in to replace, him is just a bigger corner THAN Dj.
Speaker 3: REID A Z thomas is a big, corner long.
Speaker 2: Corner Between, Sauce stevens And, thomas you have three very, long lanky corners, who you, KNOW i think the focus of this, secondary specifically those guys And Michael. Carter the, second according to Coach, glenn is just going to be taking the football. Away Brandon stevens And Sauce garner both good at batting the ball, down breaking up, Passes glenn said at THE Nfl Annual League meeting In march In West Palm. Beach the next step for these guys is taking the ball.
Speaker 1: Away. YEAH i like the dynamic, there and LIKE i, Said thomas is a guy that's popped here early on in his professional. Career we're going to see what it looks like when these guys get the pads on. Again Brandon stevens a lot of good experience playing an elite defense there In. Baltimore and, again some of these guys That jets signed a free agency not to beat a dead, horse but, hey maybe they didn't have their best years last, year but this coaching staff believes in their skills and also believes that they're gonna be able to get the best out of the players here At One Jute.
Speaker 2: Drive, Yeah i'm excited to see what the new look secondary.
Speaker 3: Like grows.
Speaker 2: INTO i guess you would, say because Sure sauce is still. HERE mc two is still. Here there are returning players at, safety but it's just gonna look a little, different and the scheme's gonna be a little different as. Well With Steve wilkes running and calling the.
Speaker 1: Defense, yeah a little collaboration there with him And Aaron. Glenn and, again they're not gonna tell you exactly what they're, running but that's a meeting in the minds and those guys got tremendous. Experience one thing we know that they have in common that they get after the. Quarterback they're Gonnat.
Speaker 3: Yeah and again if you've seen that a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, yeah but if you're playing on the, outside you gotta be. Physical you gotta be able to, tackle and when you're asked to play, man you better thrive in those. Situations that's the bottom. Line those guys on, edge they are gonna be physical. Elements that is the standard, here no doubt about. It, Quickly let's get to the defensive. Line Quinn williams to, me he looks like he's in tremendous. Shape we liked what he said at the podium because he wants to be part of this. Change you're sensing like a different level of maduration from him.
Speaker 3: Might have been his best press conference AS i.
Speaker 1: AGREE i, Agree so you can't really have too many takeaways about the defensive tackle position until we get to training. Camp but WHAT i will say is that those dudes are big. Bodies when you're talking About coward To Felly, noddy those you can throw some big bodies next To Quinn.
Speaker 2: Williams, YEAH i think that even even a guy Like Derek noddy.
Speaker 3: Who's he's not like the biggest guy in terms of.
Speaker 2: Hype he's sixty to, one but he's three hundred and seventeen pounds at least that's what he's listed, at like he's a stout. Player quinnin is listed at six three three h. Three have no idea if that's what what he still. IS i, Mean i'm sure that's changed a little, bit BUT i think that to your, point there's some big guys there and one guy that is the biggest of the bunch is For Darien.
Speaker 3: Mathis, yes like he big old number ninety.
Speaker 2: Eight and this is a guy that you, know people might be, thinking why does that name sound?
Speaker 3: Familiar AND i didn't even know he was on The.
Speaker 2: Jets he WAS i think a waiver claim at the end of last, season like Towards week seventeen. Eighteen he was a draft pick out Of. Baylor he's, Huge he's six four three, twelve he looks bigger than, that and he played At. Alabama so to, me that's why it sounds familiar if you're listening to, this because he played out a big school AND i might have just Said.
Speaker 3: BAYLOR i did not Mean, baylor but he played At, bama.
Speaker 1: Yep and he's a big.
Speaker 3: Dude and So i'm going and they have the personnel to do.
Speaker 1: It and then on the, outside we Know will came back to came back this spring. Beggar he's at two hundred and fifty plus. Pounds they want him to be able to set that, edge be, stronger be more physical against the, run and he's done just that so. Far so that really pleased with where he's. At Jermaine johnson working off to the side right now coming back from The achilles obviously you're not going to do anything to staunt his. Progress and Then tyler barn is an interesting guy that they, drafted AND i think he's getting some good experience right now as. Well so that's kind of a small snapshot as far as the edge position anything.
Speaker 2: ELSE i Think Rashad weavers had a you, know pretty a couple of plays where you're, Like, okay, yeah he looks he looks pretty.
Speaker 1: And he brings to that patcher experience and you'll be looking for a, position no. Doubt.
Speaker 2: YEAH i mean he's been active in terms of like batting the ball away at the lone of. SCRIMMAGE i think you know the the other the other guy Is will McDonald BECAUSE i mean the weight, aspect if he he put on fifteen pounds, supposedly if he's able to be a little more stout and a little more, strong it's really gonna open up on top for. Him on top of a ten and a half sax season without the fifteen pounds of, muscle, like he could really be in store for a freaky season all coming off the.
Speaker 1: Edge. Uh, finally good special. Teams, listen we talked about returner. Before there's gonna be two kicking competitions. There. Yeah it seems like in training camp you Got Andras carlson and then the rookie Kitin, davis and then at the punting position he Got austin, McNamara who was in camp With cincinnati last year and Then Kai, kroger rookie From South.
Speaker 2: Carolina kroger's a lefty, yep so that's kind of that's a fun little.
Speaker 3: WRINKLE o don't.
Speaker 1: Know so it's too, early give too many. Observations, yeah we have had. ANYTHING i haven't seen anybody.
Speaker 3: Punt, YEAH i don't.
Speaker 2: Think i've seen anybody punt unless you're watching them on the side field right.
Speaker 1: During like team team, drills and maybe they're off to the other. Side so, yeah we've had very limited exposure as far as the punters.
Speaker 3: Kicking it feels like it's been pretty neck and.
Speaker 1: Neck, yeah, right BUT i think that's.
Speaker 3: Fair, yeah but LIKE i, mean we'll.
Speaker 2: SEE i do think it's cool that during the kicking competition periods that there is somebody that has like a dummy and they're holding them up as if a defender's jumping.
Speaker 3: Up to block a.
Speaker 1: Kick.
Speaker 3: YEAH i like, That, so you, KNOW i think that that we'll see what.
Speaker 2: Happens and the one Thing i'll say over the years That i've noticed with kicking, competitions it doesn't. Matter it does matter to a degree how you kick during. PRACTICE i should not say it does not matter what happens when the lights come.
Speaker 3: On that's really that's really the big.
Speaker 1: Test that's fair enough people are familiar With carlson by Now davis At Ole miss converted eighty point eight percent of his field goal attempts forty two to fifty, two hit a thirteen of six team from forty to forty nine to four of eight from fifty. Plus mcnamaray just wanted to mention that At Texas tech he averaged forty five point nine yards of, punch which was the highest in school In big Twelve conference. History, yeah so.
Speaker 2: Impressive the both punters have very impressive collegiate.
Speaker 3: Resumes.
Speaker 1: Yep so we will be watching those competitions here throughout the. Summer but next week is Mandatory minicamp will be out there three consecutive days and then the summer will. Start Thanks Greens Game day and every day score a jewelry touchdown With Kendri Scott Shot fashion and find jewelry fit for another winning season at a local store Or kendriscott dot, Com Shine, bright do good with Kender. Scott time for my extra, point the spring has been important for The jets in terms of developing habits and embracing a play. Style there's a standard here With Aaron, glenn and it's. Clear he said this, week their competes are starting to get to a level the coaching staff wants them to be. At as he, said you can have all the talent in the, world but it doesn't matter if you aren't competing at a certain. Level glenn is all about urgency and. Purpose he wants a discipline team that is detailed and excels the situational. Football he wants this group plainly to be a pain in the ass to play. Against you don't win in shorts and the pads won't come on Until. July but the tone is being set and that's. Important we'll wrap up mandatory mini camp next. Week