Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Covino and Rich podcast.
Speaker 2: Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven easterns to the four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Find your local station for Conveno.
Speaker 2: Rich at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app like searching f SR. Alright, let's go get some fun today on an action packed Taco Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Where are you going?
Speaker 2: Hey, Covino here, ready for some tacos? Ready for two hours of fun?
Speaker 1: What's up? Brother Rich? Brought the tacos. I'm bringing the fun from Jersey.
Speaker 2: Day, Ron, Dan Bayer, Danny g Sam, everybody else Spotty broadcasting live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio. Remember, if you miss any of today's show, man, you're gonna miss out because we're bringing the fun. Did I mention we're bringing the fun super fun time. But if you miss anything, you want to catch the podcast, search Covino Rich, Revue stream but Rich, like we always do, about this time, we got to rocket out and let's go. I'll be honest sort of the day where nothing's uh, nothing's blowing up my skirt, nothing's uh, nothing's got me that excited about the world of sports, so I don't want to dig for too much.
Speaker 1: We got some funny stories though.
Speaker 2: Hello, is someone not wearing a softball champion T shirt?
Speaker 1: Today?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a hot a story in town. Probably softball champions of the Valley. I mean, come on, I bet you there's some guys on your team that could probably be better than the Yankees right now.
Speaker 3: So anyway, the parade is going down Ventura Boulevard. There's a parade Monday morning at ten am Ventura Boulevard. It starts at the New Five Guys.
Speaker 1: It ends at Balboa right by that dunkin Donuts.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect yn't wit and Rich is the Grand Marshal over trade? Yeah, so again is Cavino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. Looks like we're doing four shows next week in for Dan Patrick, so make note of that. Monday, two day, Wednesday, Friday. So it's the segmented, extended Dan Patrick Hall. So it's not the hat trick. We're doing four shows next week, so make note of that. But happy to be here, like always, and again, if you got things to do, we understand, catch the podcast later and make sure to follow rate and review. Give us five stars. Because anything less is uncivilized. Now every Tuesday, we also play a game show time Mahomes Trivia. But I heard that Mahomes is live from Chiefs training camp. We'll see if he can make it, but we will give way some prizes foreshore on this show.
Speaker 1: Plus, we got to talk bow Nicks.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a bo Nick story. Then I think she get Denver fans excited. It should get Denver excited. And we got to start off where we left off now the number eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. Let's get everybody involved, the most inclusive show on radio.
Speaker 1: Happy to be here, Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Yesterday we started talking about the Portland pickles. But I feel like that was perfect because we let the story simmer a little bit. We let everyone have a chance to see it, hear about it, and make their own decision. And I want to ask you first and first mostly Fox Sports Radio Nation, was this a staged story you or not?
Speaker 1: Because that seems to be the debate here.
Speaker 2: Instead of thinking automatically, Wow, how cool, we automatically think, oh, that's got to be BS, that's got to be staged. But even if it was, let's say staged wasn't.
Speaker 1: It pretty awesome? That's really my spin on it.
Speaker 2: Here the Portland Pickles and rich you described them as like a collegiate summer league. Yeah, it's a college d one players that played during the summer to stay fresh, and yeah, the Portland Pickles. Portland Pickles gave a random fan a chance to get in the game, and apparently history was made because people are raging about this. They gave a random fan in that bat for fan appreciation night. So in sort of a Savannah Banana's fashion, they're like, hey, you lucky fan, you get to play with the Pickles tonight.
Speaker 1: And that's what she says. His name, by the way, Eli Stenhouse.
Speaker 2: You get to play with the Pickles tonight. Well, Eli Stenhouse. Because I don't know why they keep calling him Dixie and he's media virus.
Speaker 1: That's his nickname. Oh what's his last name? Enormous? So what's his name again, Danny g Just so I can give him.
Speaker 2: Proper credit, Eli Dixie Steinhaus, Eli Steinhaus.
Speaker 1: Now let me set it up.
Speaker 2: So Steinhaus gets in here, They're like you Steinhaus, random fan, and he's like, you know, no way, and he reacts like anybody would being picked out of a crowd like me, no way, But he turns on the showmanship. He takes in that bat and he gets a walk, rich and he has his sneakers on. That's important, has his sneakers on. He's just a fan, gets a walk, and then he's it feels a base and maybe he stole a taco I don't know, on a Tuesday. But the crowd's like, no way, this is awesome, and he leans into it. He's doing like his Hulkster thing, like yeah, flexi. He waves up the crowd. Then he throw him in the outfield. They throw him in left field, and he makes a pretty easy flyball catch, little shag out there, and people like, yeah.
Speaker 1: No way. Now automatically, I'm thinking, what do you mean, no way?
Speaker 2: If you're a relatively decent athlete, or if you have just minimal baseball experience, it's not that crazy to think the guy shags a fly ball.
Speaker 1: It's just cool to see.
Speaker 2: I mean, if this guy's between the ages of eighteen and thirty, I don't do we know how old he is, because I was gonna say, regardless if he played any type of organized baseball or softball in the last couple of years of his life. Shagging a fly ball not a tricky thing to do. I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm saying, if you have any baseball experience, it's not impossible. I mean, I'm saying it is easy man to catch a fly ball, a routine flyball in the outfield, if you have any level of baseball.
Speaker 1: No, how like, that's not a hard thing to do. But then Rich he gets one more at bat.
Speaker 2: Here's here's here's where it gets good. They leave this fan fan appreciation night. They leave this fan in for one more at bat. This is like everybody's fantasy at a major league game, right, Like the Yankees are so frustrated.
Speaker 1: Boone's like you and I'm like me, yeah, you get on the mound.
Speaker 2: You're like what, this guy gets another at bat and listen to what happens.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'll catch fall left sider fidd.
Speaker 1: By the way. That's a collegiate league. That's a great call. Letters one word? Is that really what he says? Four letters? One word.
Speaker 2: Gone. This dude hits a home run as a fan who just entered the game, and the crowd goes nuts and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Eli Steinhaus They called them Dixie, so Dixie delivered. Now the story goes viral, It's all over social media. The crowd went wild, the call was great, the moment was awesome. But everyone's saying that this Portland Pickles thing was staged. Even if it was, you can't guarantee a home run in that moment. You think it's that easy to just hit a home run. But is it impossible that it was just a fan who has a good swing. Rich if they picked you out of the stands, you're good enough to hit one out.
Speaker 1: If you get a hold of one, it's not impossible. So I'm here to.
Speaker 2: Say, I'm Steve Cavino. I believe that clearly this kid had baseball abilities. He had skills, maybe even better than the team he was watching. But he's a baseball fan. It's not crazy to think a baseball fan has some ability.
Speaker 1: I think they picked.
Speaker 2: A dude who was pretty good, and he had a really awesome moment.
Speaker 1: I don't believe it was staged. I mean, I don't know if it was. You can't stage a home run, you can't. You can't guarantee that.
Speaker 2: But however, I do think that maybe they're like, we're gonna put this kid in. He could play again. This is collegiate summer ball. It's competitive, but if you've played at a level, I guess that there's a chance you can make contact if he knows the fastball's coming. I think it's a great fun story, But I think what you said is more interesting.
Speaker 1: What are those fantasies we all have?
Speaker 2: Because anytime you've been at a stadium and you grab a baseball and it's one of those displays where it's like, see how fast you could throw?
Speaker 1: I always, as a kid, was like, what if they seem and they're like, he's got perfect mechanics.
Speaker 2: And they're like, hey, the Met's bullpen coach wants to talk to you, or honestly, I'll give you a sleazy one. Every time you're like, you know, an adult establishment, you would assume like, yeah, she you know, she's in love with me like this. You know, Well, remember that time the Hawaiian Tropics bus broke down.
Speaker 1: They needed an oil boy. Yeah, I sent them to the I sent them to the town a couple of miles up the road. Yeah, you blew that opportunity.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's everyone's like, if you're an extra on the set and you're an actor, If you're an aspiring actor or actress and you're on the set, you're you're wishing that like I don't know, Scorsese.
Speaker 1: Makes eye contact with you and they're like.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Okay, you kid, you're the one hold on for all the naysayers. And by the way, you could share your fantasy. That's fine, eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. But for all the naysayers that are quick to say this is a stunt, like Rich said, to guarantee a home run, that's like, that's not a guarantee. If it's a stunt. It was. If it's a stunt, it was a really well executed stunt.
Speaker 1: Okay, then how do you explain this?
Speaker 2: I think you're putting these players on the team on a pedestal and forgetting that other people have a particular set of skills. This guy could be a decent baseball player. How do you explain Dave rolls on stage and he's performing and he's like you do you play? And the kid's like yeah, and he gets up there and he shreds. He gets up there and he shreds because he plays. You think that's stage.
Speaker 1: Why are we putting.
Speaker 2: These people on a pedestal like they're they're gods and we can't like have any skill of our own to hold our right, I know what you're saying. We didn't pick a kid out of the crowd and be like all right, guard Lebron James, like it wasn't it wasn't that Dan Buyer?
Speaker 1: What do you think? Man?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, like for a nine year old to have like front row tickets to the Foo Fighters, there's got to be something like of course.
Speaker 1: The trunks kids. Yeah, happens all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, yes, because it is.
Speaker 2: Because they're gonna be get out there and have them stink dn Beyonce brings up some girl to harmonize.
Speaker 1: You don't think they've gone over this? Yeah right, Oh my goodness, No, not all the time.
Speaker 2: There's there's often times at rock shows they'll see some dude singing his heart out the whole time. They may even hold a sign up. They'd be like, yo, I want to come up and play with you, and the artists will be like can you play, and they'll be like, yeah, I can play. All right, let's see what you got, and they turn it out because they could play just like this guy could play baseball.
Speaker 1: He got a hold of one. It was a cool moment.
Speaker 5: This is the Barry Bond steroid argument, right, Like you could take as many steroids, hgh, whatever you wanted, but you still have to hit the baseball exactly. And that's what I think Cavino is trying to say.
Speaker 2: It is it is, Dan, And you know, I have one last point, and I do want to talk to everybody. Was the stage or not becomes the debate here and your other fantasies. But if you really dissect that at bat, they weren't trying to give him a meet ball. They were trying to strike this kid out. They were trying to pitch around him. Watched back the clip. I watched the ball he hit a home run on seemed like a seventy mile an hour down the middle fastball. I'm not saying I'm hitting it out, but I'm just saying, it's not like this collegiate summer league someone threw some Adam Wainwright, you know, twelve to six breaking ball. That was that buckle bunch. You know, I'm not debating that this kid was a good ball player. Yeah no, that's obvious, right, But is it impossible that a good ballplayer was just a fan at the game.
Speaker 1: No, why is that impossible?
Speaker 2: Listen, I was arbitrarily picked once and I said this, and I was not in on it. I was not like in the media at the time. It was like we picked Rich Davis. I was a college kid and I had the chance to shoot three pointers during a TV timeout in the Carrier Dome up at Syracuse. Every three pointer was like one hundred bucks. And I have told the story, and I was honest where I air balled the first one because I had never shot a basketball with a clear backboard with twenty thousand people in an arena.
Speaker 1: I hit a couple.
Speaker 2: I think I walked to it with like three or four hundred dollars. I got hot for a second, but then cold again. If they would have accidentally picked like some kid that played high school basketball, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: You could arbituarily pick a win.
Speaker 2: Just because a guy shows a little bit of skill level that means a staged or No, that dude, they picked the dude who was a fan. He's at the game and he actually is pretty good. You know, that's not an impossible thought. And then again, like you say, you people are throwing the word stage out there, like it's so easy to just come up there and can I ask you? Can I ask you a real question? And it's a little dirty, so part of me if you got kids in the car, I mean, I would expect nothing less. Right, I was smut Davis, I would say, I just looked at me and gave me like them tumba like no, no, yeah, careful, rich. Let's just say you're scrolling around some inappropriate Let's say you stumbled across some inappropriate content on the internet. Cavino, Okay, it's happening, and it's uh so and so with a fan. Do you believe some of those women will like film with a fan or do I believe it? Or do you think it's like a a professional but he's calling himself a fan for the video? No, I mean I believe there are stage moments like that for sure. When some buses were driving down the box, it's like, hey you, hey, kid, want to get in the bus with these ladies? Like do you think that kid is arbitrarily on the street. Well, a lot of those are stage. There's no question about that. That's just a gimmick, right, like, hey, we're picking people up.
Speaker 1: Today's your lucky day. Yeah right, A lot of.
Speaker 2: That stage, But I do believe that there are times that they throw offers out there to fans.
Speaker 1: How about the cash cab? Do you think that's always stage? Let's hit up our guy, Ben Bailey.
Speaker 2: I do remember that show and he said it wasn't. He said they would randomly pick people. Damn Byer, you're a great golfer?
Speaker 1: Is great? A good word? Can I say? If you were covering That's why I was silent?
Speaker 2: You were covering some big golf tournament for Fox, which I'm sure you have over the years, Dan Byer, big shot here at Fox Sports dB.
Speaker 1: If if they were like.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're gonna do a media contest for ten grand, then we pick a name out of the hat from Fox Sports, Dan Bayer, do you think you could hit a putt in the pressure situation?
Speaker 1: Would you would we be shocked? Or you think you'd like, that's possible.
Speaker 5: It's doable, Like I like in this situation, it's a great can't hit a bomb like it was? It wasn't cheap, it wasn't just over the left field, It wasn't a Bartolo Cologne, like just throwing the bat out. It was a shot, and so like that's that's like the part, and I'm gonna get to your I'm gonna get to your question. But like for Kevino to think that they're just gonna like put some sixty two year old with arthritis in his knees is the fan of the game, Like it's that that's not going to happen. You want to have the fan to be able to do something, and he did something extraordinary. I don't know how you could stage a home run, but I think that you pick someone that can be fun, because that's what these minor league, summer league baseball leagues are all about.
Speaker 1: So you're saying they may have knew the possibility was there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they knew that the kid didn't stink, just like they knew that the nine year old can play electric guitar at the concert. But at the Ryder Cup in twenty sixteen in Minnesota, a fan was heckling the European team and they called them out. They said, all right, a hundred bucks, you make this putt justin Rose. I even think you could probably see the video put one hundred dollars down said, all right, hundred bucks. If you make this putt, it's yours. The guy came out. If it doesn't go in the hole, it's forty feet past. But it went in like it was cooking, and everybody went nuts. That to me is the randomness of it, of in a spur of the moment thing. I just don't think that this level of athlete that was playing in the game was I don't think that that was a coincidence.
Speaker 1: It was random, but not. Yes, an example.
Speaker 2: I don't want to I don't want to create a I don't want to kill the illusion of all of our hopes and dreams. But I've been in the audience on the price is right. Before the price is right, they go to every audience member and they're like, hey, tell me your backstory, tell me about your life, tell me a fun fact. They interview everyone. It's not arbitrary. Come on down, the late great Rod Roddy. It wasn't picking out of a hat. It was oh, Dan Byer, he's here with his you know, family in town, and you have a fun fact about you. They are finding interesting people in the crowd, so it's not arbitrary when they say they're not people. Yeah, so I agree, it's that's part of pre screening. Man, that's not it's still sort of random. They're just doing a little bit of due diligence.
Speaker 5: I'm talking to three guys here. Sorry, I just want to make this point. Three guys, if you would take requests, how legitimate are requests in radio?
Speaker 1: Not at all?
Speaker 2: Hey, any any that can give me my favorite lot yet I said for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll try to get that on for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right right, Oh you want the most popular song in America?
Speaker 1: You got it. We only play it three times an hour already. But you know what it's going to be coming up later on. That's the funniest thing. Can I hear Taylers Swift? You know you could always say, yeah, yeah, we'll get that on for you. Way to ruin the secret d.
Speaker 2: But hold on, I do have one last little nugget for the story, and I want to hear from everybody again. We're talking about the Portland pick holes and Eli Steinhaus, who was the random fan on fan Appreciation Day that went yard in dramatic fashion, the crowd wind nuts. It became such a story. I'm assuming most of you saw it scrolling doing the bull scroll that the club offered him a contract. Now I read that it was a one day contract, but I saw the video. The video made it seem like they gave him a contract for the end of the year till the end of the year, and he accepted. So that's where the story ended as far as I know. But was it staged or not is the question. I think it's a great story. It's funny regardless of whether it's staged or not. But again, oh, by the way, do you know why people think it stays too rich because when they see the clip of the home run, he's wearing cleats. That's why I pointed out before that he was wearing sneakers in his first that bat. But it's like, is it that hard to believe that they gave him a pair of spikes in the clubhouse? Like because in the second at bat that he takes he's wearing cleats. I think if you put one hundred guys of his level talent up there, only a couple will get lucky and rise to the occasion and hit a home run, even if it's a fastball down That was jas Chisholm. You're not guaranteeing a home run. He only hit three in the home run Derby. Know what else is funny too? He shows he comes out there in shorts because again he's just a fan. He's like hey, and he steals second and slides into shorts.
Speaker 1: He put on a show for the fans. It was kind of funny to see. Not even joking when I say this.
Speaker 2: If this kid is a ballplayer that played at some collegiate level, or you know, maybe he got scouted in high school, never made it, just a dude that knows how to play ball, do you think this is a window to a Bananas tryout?
Speaker 1: I do, Yeah, I thought about that.
Speaker 2: I showed the clip to my parents and they said the same thing, like maybe maybe Banana's life. Yeah, maybe the passion level and he seems like a charismatic young dude. Maybe maybe this gets him a tryout with the Savannah Bananas. I think so, yeah, he's got to learn how to do a cartwheel or a flip, or get some skills on stilts. But yeah, I think it it earns him a tryout, for sure. It'd be a good story.
Speaker 1: If he's real.
Speaker 3: I just got off the phone with the Portland Pickles front office, and nobody there can give me this guy's contact information. They were like, I don't know. This just feels it feels very minor league baseball, where this is what they do to get attention. Hullo, hello Pickles, Sam heard me talking to them.
Speaker 1: You know you know that is true, and it's a shame. That's why we bring it up.
Speaker 2: It's a shame that we have to always approach every fun story from a skeptic stamp because everything's in attention grab or an attempt to get likes on social media.
Speaker 3: This is what you thought about Roll, This is what you thought Covino about the Browns photographer supposedly falling in the water.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, yeah again, Yeah exactly. I'm like, you know what, this is stage?
Speaker 2: I did think that was stage, because everything, unfortunately, is used as a way to go viral. You know what I want to I just I'm gonna take the approach I like, which is I want to believe it. I want to believe in Alien walked in front of a ring Doorbell and Compton. I want to believe that Rudy really was carried off the field Like that, don't ruin it for me.
Speaker 3: Joe Montana and your facts. Did you see that alien in Compton?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I want to believe in it, Danny. I'm telling you, it's so much more fun to believe it. That's what I'm saying. That's it's more fun. I agree, Like every time a story comes up, skepticism is, as you said, Kavino the lead. But even if staged, they pulled off one of the coolest what would you even call this stunts? Stunts in a long time that we've seen in years. Because everything has to go perfect, I've I've seen the opposite, and the opposite sucks.
Speaker 1: Danny.
Speaker 2: How many times have you been to a Lakers game or I'm sorry to say, a Clippers gamer some game where they're like, at halftime, we're gonna have this person shoot or we're gonna get people if you could do a lay up a free throw and like they're just a hopelessly terrible athlete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can't even make a layup. Cavino and I were in.
Speaker 2: Vegas once and I won't throw the sponsor under the bus, but we didn't event where they flew us out to Vegas to host this cool event and it was with NBA legend john Sally. They set up this whole big ass setup for a fan to take a million dollar shot, right, And when I tell you, Danny, this million dollar shot was throw it over a volcano, over a car one hundred yards away. And then they hand the basketball to some little old lady. And I'm like this, like, what have we been doing here, Kivino?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that? Like it was?
Speaker 2: It was a I was like, this is this is the if they give it to a young kid and it was a half court shot.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Make it fair, make it fun. And I like this story a lot. It's a good I'm glad you brought it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I forget chasing, forget chasing MJ as the big whale. We want for an interview on the air. I'm not going to rest until I get Dixie on the show.
Speaker 1: Dixie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say Danny crossed off Stallone and Jordan and all the other wishless guests Tom Brady, No, no, no, Dixie, Dixie from the Pickles. A right, Well, Hey, we got a lot coming up here on Covin on Rich. I have an interesting offer for you, my friends. I want to see if Covino is down for an offer I think he can't refuse, and it has to do with his Yankees.
Speaker 1: We'll explain.
Speaker 2: Plus, is bo Nicks the next big thing in the NFL? Well, somebody big in the NFL thinks so, So we'll talk a bunch of NFL all Next right here, coven On Rich.
Speaker 1: All right, the.
Speaker 2: World famous Covino and Rich Show returns. We get to your phone calls and feedback. Next, plus we give away prizes, show Time Mahomes Trivia Broke Mahomes live from Chiefs training camp. Right now, live from Fox Sports Radio Studio. I'm here in Jersey, Rich and the rest of the crew back on the west side. Give a boon of pep Talker's on the way. I was going to ask Danny g if he got Eli Dixie Steinhaus on the phone, because I think the Yankees could use that guy better than anything they're doing.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: But remember, with iHeartRadio's app, you can stream us wherever you happen to be. Catch all the Fox Sports Radio shows live twenty four to seven on the new and improved iHeartRadio app. Search Fox Sports Radio in the app and stream us all day. Make us number one on your presets number one in your heart, Cavino and Rich the number eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. Before we talk about bo Nix, let's wrap up the phone calls. Was this Portland Pickles story where the random fan hits a home run?
Speaker 1: Was it staged or not? Or what are your thoughts? I think it was.
Speaker 2: I think it could be staged, but also an amazing coincidence that the guy delivered.
Speaker 1: It could have very well been like, yo, he looks athletic. Oh he struck out.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you and I actually do disagree because I believe that they did pick a fan. You think it was arbitraarers could be, but they picked a fan who could actually play, And I don't think that's impossible to believe.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's enough.
Speaker 2: You know, our buddy Mike and Cincinnati said Cavino probably also believed. This a great old school reference. If you watched wrestling, remember the wrestler earthquake. Yeah, remember how he started. Jimmy Hart picked like just a fat guy in the stands, and he's like you, and then then it was like a plant the whole time, like he became a heel. Not everything staged, but you know, maybe this was let's go to Pat in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 6: Hey, Pat, how you guys doing? To share a story, I played a three inning game in Camden Yards with Scott McGregor, a former major league pitcher, throwing pretty fast, and I'm a twenty year old guy. Hit one off the wall, so and a bunch of people actually did well. No one hit it over.
Speaker 7: But it was a regular baseball game.
Speaker 6: We all played the field, so hitting a ball out, you know, is probably yeah.
Speaker 2: I do, you know, not too kiss ass, but you know who we should probably ask later our boss. I don't know if he wants it out there, but he's done. Like fantasy camp, like when you wear former big leaguers pitch against you, you could you take swings like and I'm sure some of those guys that you got the money and time and you are in shape enough to go to like a professional major league baseball fantasy camp. You know, you don't think some of those thirty forty fifty year old guys could still rip the ball.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I think we're giving way too much credit to there's still mere mortals. And these are collegiate athletes. Man, they just picked a dude who was good, if not better. Yeah, okay, it's a great point. It's a great point. Let's say, how to Eric in Illinois. Eric, you're on buddy.
Speaker 7: Hey, good afternoon, good show.
Speaker 1: Thanks man, always always trying our best. What's up man?
Speaker 7: You good enough? I just when you brought up the fact that he was given a contract when I was a kid and I'm seventy three to the Cardinals if you caught a powl ball that you were supposed to hold it up and then the ushers would of course come over and check to see if you're okay, but they would offer you a workless but a contract with the Cardinals for catching the foul ball. And I just always thought that was cool.
Speaker 2: That is pretty cool. By the way, I love his endorsement, We're good.
Speaker 1: Enough, Dandy.
Speaker 2: I was actually gonna text you new production Covino and Rich they're good enough.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, it's pretty fitting. I'll take it. I like it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. And by the way, I do think that's pretty cool. It's like Rich Davis and myself we're both lords of Scotland. I don't know if you guys know that. Yeah, true store, because we actually own one foot right, one foot wall. We both own one foot of property in a field somewhere in Scotland, so we're official lords by definition if you we own a square foot of land.
Speaker 1: We have a car that says we are lords of Scotland. Wow, sounds like a bad Morning show bit.
Speaker 5: I'm an official Duke of Hazzard, Kentucky. Seriously, I've got it. It's one Z but I've got the proclamation well, as is my wife and son.
Speaker 1: You know, speaking of you said the Duke of Hazzard.
Speaker 2: Coincidentally, today is the twentieth anniversary twenty years ago today in five Jessica Simpson came out in those Daisy Dukes. Just a little timestamp that was twenty years ago, the remake of Dukes of Hazzard, which is damn times flying. Coincidentally, I spent extra time in the bathroom today with a whole other story. Oh that was a Duke of Hazzard's Taco Tuesday brot let me hat you up with something. Then we'll go to Dan Buy for an update. I'm gonna pose a question, I'm gonna let you simmer. I'm gonna let you think about this, and then we'll go get Dan's update. You mean Duke of Hazard, Kentucky Dan Byer, Yes, Duke.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It's in my Twitter profile.
Speaker 2: By the way, so Cove, we made a bet in the beginning of the season one thousand dollars whoever had the better record Mets or Yankees, and then we up the ante one hundred dollars additionally for each game that the team is better. So let's just say the Yankees had a fifteen game better record than the Mets. That's fifteen hundred bucks. No, I'm sorry, that's twenty five hundred dollars. If they're three games better, thirteen hundred. As of right now, with fifty games to go, the Mets have been playing not great, but like.
Speaker 1: I said earlier, they're losing.
Speaker 2: The Yankees are losing in dramatic, unbelievable, embarrassing fashion, like you can't write it worse than they're playing right now. Well, much like our good friends at DraftKings or all the great gambling sites out there, they give you payout options if.
Speaker 1: You're trying to do it like a dealer or no deal with me.
Speaker 2: If you get let's say you have a six leg parlay and you've hit four of them, they'll be like, hey, if you want to cash out now, here's the offer.
Speaker 1: So the Mets are up three games on the Yankees, trying to cash you out. Bro, the Mets are up three games on the Yankees.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you the chance right now, because if the season ended today, you would owe me thirteen hundred bucks. I'll give you that you might I'll give you the best bud discount since we've known each other for years. I'll kick off five hund though, if you want to end the bet now, eight hundred.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like that's a solid deal. I don't do it.
Speaker 2: The banker's ripping me out. If you're only up three games. You're up three games, you're not really cutting me a deal. If you said five four hundred, that might be like deal. I'm out of it because the Yankees suck. But like you're only up three games, you're overly confident to even think that's a deal.
Speaker 1: I thought I was being very Are you generous? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think your team is all that good. I know my team's better than they just have like a curse on him or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I got all right, So no deal? Well, let me think about it. Do you know what, go open another suitcase. Then let's go to damn bier the duke. What's up, duke? What's up? Have you had a deuceive hazard? Is that what you called it earlier? All right?
Speaker 5: We got a bunch of news in the NFL All corners of the NFL, Shodoor Sanders is going to start a quarterback for the Browns and their preseason opener coming up Friday against the Panthers. Other quarterbacks on the roster ding up Joe Flacco is a veteran. He's not going to play, so it goes to Shoodoor Sanders. Of course, the team signed Tyler Huntley yesterday, Colt said. Coach Shane Steiken says Anthony Richardson is going to start against the Ravens Thursday and play into the second quarter. He'll be relieved by Daniel Jones, who will finish out the first half. Zach Taylor, the head coach of the Bengals, told up In Adams that Joe Burrow and the other starters will play this weekend against Philadelphia and they can expect to play even more in their two preseason game against the Commanders.
Speaker 1: Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Head coach Jonathan Gannon says this star their starters will play Saturday against the Chiefs, and Raiders head coach Pete Carroll, who faces his former team, the Seahawks, says their starters will play in that preseason preseason opener on Thursday. Freeds a quarterback Teddy Bridgewater are signing a deal with the Buccaneers, while the Rams are running back Karen Williams came to terms on a three year extension where thirty three million dollars. Vikings wide receiver Jordan Addison suspended three games following as duya rest in twenty twenty four because he violated the NFL's substance abuse policy. He'll miss games in Week one against the Bears, we two against the Falcons, in Week three against Cincinnati and forty nine Ers and George Kittle broke the news today on the NFL Network, But the league has now released a statement that they have banned smelling assaults and ammonia inhalance for the twenty twenty five season, So no more of those camera shots from the sidelines. Yankees activatedor and Judge from the injured list. He'll dh tonight against Texas.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Back to you now, the NFL is such king of all sports. Dan, did you see the race for that Hall of Fame random game?
Speaker 1: I missed it. I did not see them.
Speaker 2: Seven million viewers for a preseason game that no one cared aback about, which leads me to believe this Friday night game where you get to see the debut of Shad Or Sanders. Who would have ever thought maybe a Browns Panthers preseason game we get any ratings, people will.
Speaker 5: Watch if it's I don't think it's a national broadcast. That's the only thing. I'd just be in those local markets. Don't quote me on that, but I think I think it'll only be locally.
Speaker 1: And you said they added Huntley to the max. Huh yeah, so make it five this case.
Speaker 2: Kevin Stefanski a hand out roses like the Bachelor, Like you get to stay around this week?
Speaker 1: Like what if five quarterbacks now six? He's a random fan I heard, Yeah, really quick TV.
Speaker 3: It is listed as NFL Network, but I don't know if that's still going to be reachable.
Speaker 1: NFL Yeah, I'm not. I'm not sure either. Could be.
Speaker 5: It's NFL Plus on some of the sites where it may be streamed live, and maybe replayed later that you'll see.
Speaker 1: But Dan quick follow up on that George Kittle story. Why are they banning smelling salts? Like, what's the point? What? What? What was the problem? What's the reason behind this?
Speaker 5: The NFL's Head, Neck and Spine Committee Committee recommended prohibiting the use because the FDA noted potential negative effects. They have the potential to mask certain neurological signs and symptoms, including some signs of concussion as well.
Speaker 2: Could Dexter still use him when he's waking up his victims before he stabs them?
Speaker 1: Could he? Geez?
Speaker 2: Okay, I just want to make sure he can. Thank you, dB. We got more Cavino and Rich. We're gonna get to the NFL. Speaking of which bo Nix, is he the next big deal? Well some people think so. We'll explain next right here on Fox Sports Radio. Speaking of the food fighters, Thank you Sam. By the way, food Fighters in nine inch nails just had a drummer swap true story Man and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. Yeah, how progressive of them. Wow, Live from the Fox Sports Radio studio and his time for our tire rack play of the day. Here's a hint, doesn't involve the Yankees or your crap ass Mets Schwarz pickles, No, no, no, no. Schwarbs brought the big Ben Schwarbs swung on.
Speaker 1: Belted high and deep.
Speaker 8: And it's another grand Slam for Kyle Schwarmer and what away to hit number forty on the season eleven to three Phillies.
Speaker 1: Dude brag about what a stroke?
Speaker 2: Huh Yeah, he's so good man, Kyle Schwarber Grand Slam second home run of the day, as courtesy of the Phillies Radio Network, our tire ract Play of the Day. For over forty years, tirek has been helping customers find the right tires of how, what and where they drive, ship fest and free back by, free road hazard protection, with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tirerach tyreck dot Com. Wait tire By should be I'm Cavino. That is Rich Danny g is super producing on the phones at eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox and before we talk bone Nicks, Rich, let's take one last phone call about your pickle.
Speaker 1: That's what I said. They want to talk about Cavino's pickle.
Speaker 2: And the quote unquote stage home run that's gone viral.
Speaker 1: It's a really cool moment, no matter how you look at it. What's up, Chris, what's up telling?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 7: Uh yeah, apparently not only is he a fan, he's a intern for the Pickles and he's the starting second baseman for Lois and Clark College.
Speaker 2: Oh do you team up in a big moment?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's why the team wouldn't give me his contact info?
Speaker 2: Maybe because he's Yeah, I mean, listen, it's just a good story. It worked out right. It's like they took a funny chance. I got this kid could play. We'll have him be the the fan of the day. I think it's like half stage and God, they got lucky Covino again. These viral moments happen, and a lot of times they just get lucky. And I think it was a great lucky moment for that organization. And if you haven't seen it, definitely check it out and Rich before we talk NFL. Yeah, I did find that promo interesting of two pros and a cup of Joe. When you were talking about the Speedway Classic Baseball game, you were trying to figure out the correlation between racing fans and baseball fans, Like if you were to cross examine sports. Baseball fans are most similar to what other fans like. It's easy to say, like maybe fighting in UFC have a great crossover of fans, like boxing in UFC or boxing in soccer, because so many Hispanics love so many Latin American countries love boxing also loves soccer. There's probably a lot of crossover fans.
Speaker 1: In my mind.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, I'll give you one again. It's the closest to football. These are all stereotypical. But I would say college football and NASCAR to me has a big crossover.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never really looked at it that way. Erhap about wrestling in NASCAR, Yeah, I would think. So it's you know, uh, it's kind of interesting because maybe, like bad, I would say all four major sports have pretty good crossover now of fans. Yeah, hot dog eating and oh hey that's not one of the four.
Speaker 1: Majors major, but anyways, something to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so bon Nicks, we gotta talk, gotta talk to NFL, and bon Nicks is getting an endorsement from his coach, Like a good coach should write chow confidence in your young star. But it's not just like yo, my young star is good bone Nicks is being called the next big thing. He's being called elite. And remember you can't spell elite without eli. According to Sean Payton, head coach of the Denver Broncos, on bon Nicks, he's gonna be one of the top four or five quarterbacks in the league the next two years. So he's saying this year and next year, you're gonna see bow Knicks. In that conversation with the you know Lamar's and the Joe Burrows and the Mahomes and the Josh Allens, he's pretty much saying, put bow Knicks right up there with them. And it did get me thinking that that, first of all, that's the confidence you want your coach having your quarterback when a coach has his guy, and that seemed to be the scenario for Champagne that he bo Nicks was the guy he wanted. And that's sort of why it all makes sense there in Denver, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he went out and knew that that was his guy. Remember, he even didn't let everyone else in the organization know he was going to target him because he wanted to keep it private.
Speaker 2: So bow Knicks is who Peyton wanted, got him. Now he's saying I knew all along what everyone else is about to find out. I got one of the best quarterbacks in the National Football League. He feels that way about bo Knicks. It's a great endorsement, Like you said, Rich, but quote un quote, the next big thing isn't always a guarantee, so I'm glad you said that. I want this conversation to go in a more fun direction. I want to talk about the not so next big things, the athletes, the products, the bands, the infomercial items, things you remember that we're gonna be the next big thing that weren't.
Speaker 1: We'll take your feedback. Next. Covino on Ritch talking more NFL and fun. Next