Speaker 1: Hey, Sabrina, Hey you will.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: We're doing something a little different today, same but different, different but same.
Speaker 1: I am so ready. I am ready for this one. I'm ready for this one. I'm so excited because you haven't seen this movie before.
Speaker 3: I'm convinced that's why our lovely producers picked this one.
Speaker 2: It had nothing to do with actually recapping this film. It was just making me watch the movie. I think what this week was about. Am I wrong?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think this could actually really be the reason is all of us knew you needed this in your life, and it was just unbelievable, gone pretty pleasures without it, which is insane.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing that was really amazing to me is this the random connections that I've had.
Speaker 2: I have with this movie too.
Speaker 1: I know, I so yeah, But we got to tell everyone.
Speaker 2: About it, get into it. We will get into it. First.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the.
Speaker 2: Waves, tsunamis, and the high school's musical. I'm Sabrina, Bryan and ah see, I gotcha and I will pronounce you go reverse that.
Speaker 3: By the way, everybody, thank you, and now don't put away that putrid pumpkin just yet, no matter how rotten it is. Now in November, keep that gore nearby, because we're diving into a cult classic spookfest, a movie that flopped when originally released in theaters and has since become a major holiday mainstay. We're jumping right into Yes, it's nineteen ninety threes. I think I'm pronouncing this right, hocus pocaias my son is hocus Pocus. Yes, were you excited?
Speaker 2: Were you excited?
Speaker 1: So excited? I actually just watched this movie for the first time with my kids. Uh, two weeks ago. I guess it was right before Halloween.
Speaker 2: Wait have you never seen it either?
Speaker 1: No, I mean I've just watched. I introduced them. Oh, but I was a little worried. Is it a little too scary for them? You know, they're still pretty little, and I just wanted to make sure. Of course, our producers said absolutely not, you can go ahead and have them watch it. I did, and they loved it. They loved it.
Speaker 2: It is a little scary, though, I can imagine for little kids.
Speaker 1: It is actually It's funny because they loved it then, and then when I was rewatching it again this weekend or just a few days ago, I guess Monroe goes, oh, I don't like that movie. It was scary, and I'm like, you did freak out once while we were watching it, But I think her memory of it is the scary part.
Speaker 2: Sure, Oh no, I get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know this is also one of the studio's biggest surprises of all time. Apparently, so well. I mean, your kids are big, We've talked about this. Your whole family is massive Halloween fans.
Speaker 1: Yes, we love Halloween. Love the dress, love the love the family picks. They're my favorite of the year, pretty much better than our holiday card picks. Probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, so funny. So are we calling this an official dcom? I mean again, it's not so.
Speaker 1: Not it's not it was it was in theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a Disney movie that we're recapping Disney movie.
Speaker 1: But we had a really special guest that we talked quite a bit about it with. So it makes sense for us here on Magical Rewind to go ahead and rewatch.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, I get it, but not I get it.
Speaker 3: And it would also be impossible to enter a Halloween store in twenty twenty five and not notice a ton of hocus Pocus products, which is a feat in itself, because when it was first released in theaters on July sixth, nineteen ninety three, it got mixed reviews from critics, to say the least, and was a certified box office bomb, reportedly losing the studio over fifteen million dollars, which in ninety ninety three are money now is eighteen point seven billion dollars.
Speaker 2: That's not accurate.
Speaker 3: I just made up that calculation, but fifteen million dollars back the day was a lot, which at the time was considered a real fumble considering the big names, the cost and the main cast.
Speaker 2: Critic Gene Siskel said.
Speaker 3: The movie was focused on quote dreadful witches and the only tolerable moment came when Bette Midler's sang, that's a bit of a stretch. Also, if you think we're releasing a Halloween movie in July sounds odd, that's because it is.
Speaker 2: It is odd.
Speaker 3: Disney's strategy there was to avoid competition in the October space, but obviously that itself did not pay off, but thanks to seasonal and repeated airings of the movie every Halloween on both the Disney Channel and free Form. It's found its audience not just in consumer products, but home media sales, allegedly a million dollars profit every October.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: It birthed.
Speaker 3: The franchise has since spond a sequel, novelization attractions at theme parks, and the sequel that we talked about before was released thirty years later in twenty twenty two. At one time, the movie lost fifteen million for Disney, but has since racked up almost sixty million in DVD and Blu ray sales. Also, I think it has officially been announced that Pocus three is in production.
Speaker 1: We just recently saw that. That's incredible. I'm so excited for that, Okay.
Speaker 3: The concept for hocus Pocus was originally created by producer David Kirshner, who explains that he was sitting outside with his young daughter when a black cat walked by, and he quickly improved a story about the feline, inventing the Sanderson Sisters and the Winifred Brood. The movie then originally began production in nineteen eighty four and had the working title Disney's Halloween House and was reportedly much much scarier, less comedy, more jumps, and funny enough. They shot some of those scary scenes but didn't use them in the movie. However, they're scene in the trailer if you ever want to watch those deep cuts, including a scene.
Speaker 2: In a supermarket. And in case you.
Speaker 3: Wondered if a Halloween movie is easy to make with the happiest studio on earth, well it stalled for years and years and years until Bette Midler, or a little actress of her day, expressed interest in a role originally written for Chloris Leachman, and then it was of course fast tracked into production. Now this should come as absolutely no surprise, but the movie was not only shot in Salem, Massachusetts. It was predominantly shot at sound stages in a slightly less witchy burbank, California. But they did film for two weeks in Salem, and that's why you see all those outdoor daytime shots with realistic surroundings, including the actors' locations like Pioneer Village, Old Burial Hill, and Max and Danny's House, which have since all become landmarks for fans to visit on vacation, kind of like the Cheetah Girls when people go to Spain. One of my favorite fun facts about this movie they had a choreographer for the musical numbers, even with a dance legend for a director. Her name was Peggy Holmes, and she also worked with each Sanderson's sister so that they could quote unquote fly their brooms in character. Winnifred was more aggressive, Mary was more cautious and horny. Sarah just loves to fly. Hocus Pocus and a sequel are available to watch right now in Disney Plus. So unless you throw your remote into a cauldron, say hocus Pocus three times and burn down your house, you see the Watch it now or later up to you. But that's the sacred oath we've all taken together, so we must have hunted it above all else. I think this goes without saying that we both knew pocus Pocus before Magical Rewind.
Speaker 2: But maybe the question is how many times have you seen it? Wow?
Speaker 1: I'd like to say it's pretty close, especially I kind of feel like in my twenties is when I really really got into it, and I feel like I've seen it almost every year around Halloween Town or free time, almost around Halloween Town around Halloween time. But I feel like the last since I've had kids, No, so before that those you know, okay, that good. Like decade, I was watching it at least once, if not a couple of times during the Halloween season. It's so good.
Speaker 2: I've seen it once now, a couple of days ago. It was good. Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 3: So whether you're Jay or Ice or two of the worst lamest bullies in the history of film, get your act together and prepare for the synopsis. The Sanderson Sisters, three mischievous seventeenth century witches, are accidentally resurrected in modern day Salem in order to steal the life force of local children. A skeptical team, his crush, his little sister, and an immortal black cat team up to stop them before sunrise. Early thoughts on hocus Pocus. I think we already know this. You said you loved it.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved love, loved it, And it was so great this last year to now have seen it twice after I haven't seen it in so long and always kind of get a little bit surprised, Like there were certain things as we were going through the movie that I saw the first time and was writing down while I watched it this second time, of I forgot that just within a couple of years of not watching it. Oh okay, And they kind of just kept coming in the very beginning and then I settled in and I enjoyed a great movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was I thought it was good. Definitely thought it was good.
Speaker 3: This has been so built up for me over the years that unless it was Citizen Kane, it was never ever going to meet the expectations that everyone put in my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was a good movie. Again, I definitely liked it, but it was so built up for me that it couldn't possibly have been as good as everybody says. The three women phenomenal. I mean cool Disney villain, like old school Cruella de Ville kind of Disney villains, and the top Denny's.
Speaker 1: I would say, one thing that I think sticks out about this movie is absolutely knowing Kenny's like artistic touch was put on this with from the walk that the three girls do together, there's there's just some choreography moments in it, a lot of the working with the you know, around the Witch's house when they're going when when we're in there is so Kenny, and it just like kept pop being out at me now that we've seen so many of Kenny's things.
Speaker 3: And their house was awesome and they just all the like the locations were really cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, Disney, but it's like 's kiss on.
Speaker 3: It as one hundred percent uh so, as Sabrina said, it was directed by a good friend of the show.
Speaker 2: The Man, the myth, the legend. Kenny Ortega, a literal Disney Hall of.
Speaker 3: Famer, began his career as one of the most successful choreographers of all time.
Speaker 2: You know the list.
Speaker 3: This is like talking about Stu Krieger stuff, working with musicians like Madonna and Michael Jackson and contributing to movies like Dirty Dancing in Ferris Peeler's Day Off.
Speaker 2: And then he entered his final form, iconic director.
Speaker 3: He's led the way on Newsies, Cheaty Girls Too, the High school musical movies, and then the new cash cow that is the descendant series. Hocus Pocus was Kenny's second directorial job.
Speaker 2: His first another Disney classic Newsies Wow, which I also can you believe that I haven't seen Newsies either.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 2: You have never seen Newsies that's the one with Christian Bale where they're all singing. Yes. Never seen Newsies. I did not like. Are you not understanding that I didn't like musicals?
Speaker 1: But it's that's so different? Why usies?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: How is it a musical?
Speaker 2: Yes? Then how is it different? Yes? And there's around.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of the musical stuff that.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get better.
Speaker 3: I'm again descendants and and zombies. I'm there all day long, so I'm trying to get better. But no, I haven't seen Newsies. This movie, as we've been talking about, is star studded. The Hollywood legend that got everything in motion, of course is Bett Midler. She played Winifred Sanderson, the double threat, triple threat, quadruple threat, however you want to put it, because she's awesome at everything. Is a three time Grammy winner and a two time Oscar nominee whose biggest movies include Beaches. Never seen that, but I hear it's just a bunch of people on the beach First Wives Club, which is great and ruthless people. She is one of the biggest names of her generation, absolutely full stop. We've got Early in her career, Sarah Esca Parker as Sarah Sanderson. This was well before she became a household name as Carrie Bradshaw and Sex and the City, a show I once unfortunately watched with my mother, and boy was.
Speaker 2: That an uncomfortable alb.
Speaker 3: She had appeared in movies like Girls Just Want to Have Fun, great movie, Flight of the Navigator, great movie, and with a breakout role in La Story unbelievable movie, and Honeymoon in Vegas. She would later co star again with Midler in First Wives Club and go on to two Emmys and six Golden Globes.
Speaker 2: And then we have Katheen to Jimmy as Mary Sanderson.
Speaker 3: The role was originally offered to Rosie O'Donnell, who turned it down, saying she wasn't interested in playing a quote fat, mean witch who eats and kills kids.
Speaker 2: Unquote. Well that's a point well taken.
Speaker 3: She would later say she loved the film and wish she could have worked with Midler and Parker, but it just wasn't in the cards. Now, Jimmy had just come off a huge turn in the Blockbuster's Sister Act, and it just compiled the list of an uncountable amount of credits.
Speaker 2: Some of the Highlights. She's the voice of Peggy Ill on King of the Hill.
Speaker 3: She played Olive on Veronica's Closet, and recently was Wendy Keegan on theep Omrits. Played Max Denison. Not only did he go to elementary school with producer Jensen, but he played John ross Ewing on the TV show Dallas and would later star in the cult TV show Eerie Indiana, also with Jason Marsden. He stopped acting in two thousand and did not appear in the sequel. He does, however, appear at fan conventions regularly and then Familiar but a very young faced Thora Birch is Danny Denison. Thora was a child actor who starred in movies like Now and Then, Monkey Trouble and Clear and Present Danger. Then continued to be in great movies like Ghost World and American Beauty. More recently, she was on the TV show The Walking Dead and stars in the new Kristen Stewart directorial debut, The Chronology of War with Image in Poots. Some other names worth mentioning. Doug Jones is Billy Butcherson. This was his first real movie role, but man he turned into an obscure character actor usually covered in makeup and prosthetics, and he's turned it into an incredibly impressive career alongside director Guilleromo del Toro. Jones has been in Hellboy, Pans, Labyrinth, and the Shape of Water, and he also played Barren on What We Do in the Shadows.
Speaker 2: Literally has never stopped working. I don't think he's sleeping.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And now for the cat Thackeray Banks, it was now this is where we get to the Will's life. It was physically played by Sean Murray, who in adulthood he has gone on to be in almost five hundred episodes of NCIS's Timothy McGee. But at the time, Disney did that like his voice while editing, so they hired a name very familiar to me, tgif regular Jason Marsden to come in and dub it over, which was a real common movie theme in the eighties and the nineties that you don't see anymore now. The thing that's weird is I was at both of their weddings. Is that strange?
Speaker 2: Whoa well? Cause?
Speaker 3: Shawan and I did random rrs together and became friendly. He's a great guy and Marsden and I not anymore, but were friends for years. And years and years, So it was wow, Yeah, to see them and it it was.
Speaker 1: Strange, it was I probably wouldn't have picked up on that. I think you had either mentioned it before or I'd read it before. I'm not sure, but you realize that's happening immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like the voice doesn't fit in the mouth flaps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It doesn't seem like it could be his voice, like at all, you know what I mean, not just not necessarily SYNCD up. It just doesn't seem like it could be his voice for some reason, which is crazy because I couldn't pick the actor's voice out of anything but Sean's voice.
Speaker 3: So well, you know, again, I haven't seen him in a couple of years now, but we were friends for years and years and years, and he's a great guy and you know, still friendly. So the second he opens his mouth and I hear I'm staring at one of my friends and hear somebody else that I've known my entire life, it's like it was very odd and it.
Speaker 2: Just it didn't fit. It just didn't fit.
Speaker 3: So I'm curious, and I mean, they couldn't do both obviously, because the cat is supposed to be the guy, so it had to be one voice the entire way. But I would love to have seen what Sean did. Yeah, because it's interesting that they didn't like his voice. I would like to have seen what Sean did. Yeah, yeah, the whole thing anyway.
Speaker 1: I was also focused on the wig.
Speaker 2: Was that I never noticed that stuff, but those was that a wig?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: You couldn't tell when it was just his front, like when you just saw the front, that was his hair, but there was some type of peace in the back to have him have a ponytail. And I didn't understand why that neat except for it to be kind of time period.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's period. Yeah, but like it.
Speaker 1: It didn't.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna work for you. I couldn't get over it. Couldn't get over it. God, that's so fun. Like it did?
Speaker 1: I get over it? Then I look at myself and go, why can't you get over stupid?
Speaker 2: Just get over the head over.
Speaker 3: I am the master at holding onto stupid, so don't even start with me.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: There are people that wronged me in the second grade that I will still never speak to, so I'm the master of it. It's great, I know there's been a lot of setup for this one, but hey, it's hocus Pocus. So now we get to the real question of the entire genre of the franchise.
Speaker 2: Of my life. How long is it?
Speaker 3: Hocus Pocus clocks in at ninety six minutes. Oh, it's a rough showing people six minutes over the target. Absolutely nothing to celebrate here, And now I think I know why it bombed in theaters, and that's six minutes his life or.
Speaker 2: Death, I'm telling you.
Speaker 3: On the writer's side, we have producer David Kershner with his story credit inspired by the tail he made up for his daughter after seeing a stray black cat. But the screenplay was created by Mick Garris and Neil Cuthbert. And if Garris's name sounds familiar to magical rewinders, that's because he wrote the greatest thing in the history of the.
Speaker 2: World, Fuzzbucket. No, that is right. This is the man who penned that car crash.
Speaker 3: He was an amazing stories writer who directed a lot of Steven Spielberg's making of featurettes and has credits on batteries not included the fly To and Critters To. Cuthbert has just as weird an IMDb page. He was a Saint Elsewhere writer. Shout out to Bill Daniels, who only wrote four movies in total, this one, The Return to the Swamp Thing great movie, the Ben Stiller Ensemble comedy, Mystery Men, Overlooked Comedy, and the horrendous Eddie Murphy film The Adventures of Pluto. Now which is still considered like one of the worst movies of all time. Then it appears like he just fell off the face of the earth.
Speaker 5: He just stopped, just done.
Speaker 1: We will be taping a live episode of Magical Rewind at Disney California Adventure Park on December fourth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: If you live in the Southern California area or if you can be in the Southern California area on December fourth, we have an opportunity for you to join us. Between now and November twenty fourth, twenty twenty five, you can enter for your chance to win tickets to attend the Coast one oh three point five Private Holiday Party at Disney California Adventure Park on December fourth, twenty twenty five, including an overnight stay at the Disneyland Resort Hotel for a family of four and two day one Park per day tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park.
Speaker 1: Plus you'll have the chance to meet us while we're taping an episode of Magical Rewind inside Disneyland California Adventure Park.
Speaker 3: Visits three five dot com forward slash Magic Rewind now to enter for your chance to win. Why doesn't everybody brace yourself for a Disney movie about killing kids and being a virgin?
Speaker 2: It's time to talk hocus Pocus.
Speaker 3: We open on an old spell book that magically swings open and throws us right into a spooky sale of Massachusetts. It's the seventeenth century and we're on a modest farm. A young boy is awoken by what looks like a passing witch in the window. He whispers for his sister Emily with a strange accent that isn't his voice, but she's nowhere to be found. He stumbles outside and still sees no sign of her. He asks his neighbor Elijah if he's seen her, but no luck. But then they notice a cloud of pink smoke in the distance. He warns de conjure. The two boys run off into the woods, only to see young Emily laughing and chasing after the witch. The brother sends Elijah off for help and runs off to save his sister. He's barefoot and running through the woods, which seems like would be very painful, and as a kid who grew up in the woods, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He eventually stumbles on a branch and lands face first in front of the witch's house, which again is an awesome house, where Emily is being brought inside. The look of their home is amazing. It's just a very cool set piece, such a good set it really is.
Speaker 2: It's one of those sets you see and you're like, Ooh, I want to be I want to shoot something on them. Yes.
Speaker 3: When the brother peeks inside, he sees three witches gathered in front of his sister doing very creepy dances. Emily looks terrified, but then the witches spot her brother and chase after him. And this is the first time we see at least Winnifred's makeup, and it's pretty amazing. Bette Midler, by the way, is fully committed in this movie, even down her very proper period accent.
Speaker 2: She's made so many odd choices in this and every one of them payoff. Did you love her as much? As I did, because she stole this movie.
Speaker 1: She did, This was her movie, this one hundred percent her movie. Yeah, absolutely, but I feel like having her two sisters right behind her.
Speaker 2: Oh they are great ensemble our house.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I have ever seen a trio just dominate a screw characters. I mean, like you said, just fully commit and I ate it up second by second made.
Speaker 2: It's so good that watching the three of them was by far.
Speaker 3: My favorite part of the movie Magic, when he is clearly the leader and the whole sister dynamic is little three stooges Ask, which again I love the comedy.
Speaker 2: Put in the bumblingness with kind of the scary crazy stuff they're doing really worked.
Speaker 1: She tells me there's shapes of her mouth and her tongue or I.
Speaker 3: Got their mouth and stuff like that, and that all three of them had weird mouth things going on.
Speaker 2: But it's also they're being funny and bumbling while trying to kill kids.
Speaker 1: Yes, it makes you one hundred percent. There's only a few moments where you realize really what they're trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're trying to suck the soul out of children to make themselves younger.
Speaker 1: But the comedy makes it like work nuts. That's really scary. There's a couple of scary moments, but like it just you don't think of it as evil. You think of it as funny.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like they're.
Speaker 2: Also just unhind bad people. Like it's crazy, Yeah, it's crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: She tells his sister to focus on their spell book, which appears to be live and their new young guest of honor, and now it's time for the life potion when he yells out the ingredients and Mary attends to the smoking pot. Meanwhile, Emily's brother sneaks back into the house and Mary smells something.
Speaker 2: Is that a child?
Speaker 3: She can smell kids, which is very creepy. But everyone's focused on the potion, which needs just one more thing, a bit of their tongues. They bite off a piece of their own mouths and spit it into the pot, now ready for tasting.
Speaker 2: But just as they're about to spoon.
Speaker 3: Feed Emily, her brother yells out no with somebody else's voice. The witches try to capture him, but are eventually pushed.
Speaker 2: It's true and it is true. Uh wow, it's true. But it eventually pushed into the cauldron, spilling the.
Speaker 3: Potion everywhere, and when the brother sees an opening to steal back Emily, Winifred electrocutes him, sending him to the floor writhing in pain, and it's all chaos, but the potion worked.
Speaker 2: Emily is glowing, almost like a ghost.
Speaker 3: The three sisters take each other's hands and start to inhale her spirit like she's a giant bong and they're smoking her. And then as they literally suck her up the heinous ol witches start to become hot younger witches and truthfully again, Sarah Jessica Parker, she has the most drastic change between the two and just there's something about the creepiness and her cackle and everything.
Speaker 2: She's stunning in this movie. I had a big crush on her stop this whole film.
Speaker 1: It's like that because in most of the things I've seen her in she doesn't have that platinum blonde hair and she oh, she's just like, oh, she just jumps out at you. She's so so pretty. You just can't get over it. Throughout the entire movie.
Speaker 2: It worked.
Speaker 3: It worked, But the witches love what they see, at least as they start, they celebrate and are excited to suck the life out of all the children in Salem to look even younger, but for now they focus on Emily's brother. Winnifred takes the spellbook and turns him into a cat. Emily's brother was Thackberry Binks, who who, of course becomes Bings the cat. And right then a large mob with torches and pitchforks. Thank you for showing up late, crazy pitchfork mob. They arrive at the witch's door, and yes, there is a body of a dead.
Speaker 2: Child in the house. Thank you Disney.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the townspeople capture the sisters and are ready for them to be hanged.
Speaker 2: Just before they're lynched, Winnifred casts a spell.
Speaker 3: She says one day a virgin will summon them from underground so they can return and steal children's spirits once and for all.
Speaker 2: And with that they're hung again. Not very Disney. No, also of worth.
Speaker 3: Noting Emily's dad kicks away the annoying black cat, not knowing it's in fact his son, which, when you think about it, is also super creepy.
Speaker 2: They've turned for eternity. This poor young man is stuck as a cat. Yeah weird. We cut to modern day Salem.
Speaker 3: A teacher is telling the story of the Sanderson Sisters to her class on Halloween. She warns them on Halloween night, a black cat still stands guarded at Sanderson House, stopping anyone from bringing the witches back to life. Student and a recent transplant from California, Max Dennison doesn't believe any of it. He says Halloween was invented by Big Candy, but makes fun of everyone with their Salem and Halloween pride. He gives his phone number to a vocal Halloween supporter, a beautiful classmate Alison, to flirt and just in case, quote unquote, Jimmy Hendrix comes back to life ballsy dude in a Disney movie.
Speaker 2: He just walks up the hottest girl in school.
Speaker 1: He's like, hey, here's my number exactly and like quick and.
Speaker 2: Is this supposed to be his first day at school? Happens to be a.
Speaker 1: Halloween Like that's so crazy that this is well, if not his, no, I don't believe it would be his first day. But he's new, new, right new. You know.
Speaker 3: See this this threw me a little bit because they made well first of all, they made him with a new new student and he's talking about how boring it is and how he misses his life and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: He's moving to Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween.
Speaker 3: Salem on Halloween is a party that last for like three days.
Speaker 2: So he's new to this town. Of course. Oh it's Salem and Halloween and it's like a destination for the world. So it's like he's moving to one of the biggest party places at the party time of the year, and he's like this sucks. So I you know, I I would have had him there a little.
Speaker 3: Bit longer and had him say like, hey, you've only been here two months.
Speaker 2: Oh kind of thing.
Speaker 3: You haven't experienced Halloween here, instead of doing this over Halloween, which is the coolest time of the year in Salem. I mean, it would be like moving to New Orleans right before Marty Gron being.
Speaker 1: Like this, so you have a New Orleans. No, Marty grows more of like an adult. But still, I fucking Halloween is very much for young kids. And if he's going to the Halloween capital, the yeah, but he doesn't really want he's not young. He's like in high school.
Speaker 2: It's still you're.
Speaker 3: Going to the Halloween party town of the year, and it'd be the first one you're going to experience.
Speaker 1: I know he's I get it. Though he's not going to a party, He's going to like trick or treating like he's still being It's like, oh yeah, let's glorify this little kid's hollow. That's I feel like in high school, how you look out at the long why.
Speaker 2: That's also why you needed a couple more scenes with his parents.
Speaker 3: The parents were woefully under used in this movie, and they needed some conversations with the parents and the kids of like, look, I know we're new in town, but this is the Halloween capital of the world. How about getting into the spirit a little bit right? You know, yes, you have to take your sister trick or treating, but you'll be home by seven thirty. Then you get the rest of the night to do whatever you want. You're here, meet friends, go to a party.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go get wasted at some freak wherever. Their mom's gonna dress like Madonna with kne boob. You go do what you want. We're fun parents.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did something.
Speaker 3: I felt like the parents had like nine lines this entire movie.
Speaker 2: It was weird.
Speaker 1: It was strange, and they seemed like, I don't know where they were in their careers, but they're like well known actors like these Yeah, I mean yeah, there's very very familiar looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is well.
Speaker 3: This is also the difference between, especially back in the day in ninety three, a d COM and a movie that was going to be released in theaters. A d com, you're not getting Bette Miller and Sara Jessica Parker and Kathy and Jimmy and good character actors.
Speaker 2: You're getting you're getting character actors.
Speaker 3: But they're not on that level of you know, you're the Dad from from Brink, perfect example, good character actor Ben and a bunch of stuff, not Bette Midler. So it's you know, you get you get a bigger and deeper talent pool when you've got this kind of budget and you know it's gonna be in theaters.
Speaker 1: But I mean, that's I feel like it's like they could have definitely dove into be agreed.
Speaker 2: I agreed a little bit more, a little bit more, that's all I'm saying. That was the only thing that threw me.
Speaker 3: I liked the movie, but it was kind of like, Dude, you're going to the Halloween capital of the world on Halloween and you're still pissed.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, but he has no friends, Like, who's he guy? Why you are so little? Yeah, it would be a bummer.
Speaker 3: That's why you need it to set it up a little bit more, or change his character a little bit to where he's like, Hey, I'm new here.
Speaker 2: It's my second day. I hear Halloween is crazy in this town.
Speaker 3: I'm not a big Halloween guy, but I guess I'll try, you know something, instead of like.
Speaker 2: This is that's the worst thing ever Halloween and Halloween village, Like.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, well that's teenagers for you.
Speaker 2: Will I know? I was one still. Anne class is out for Halloween and Max catches up with Alison on his way home.
Speaker 3: He apologizes if it embarrassed her to introduce himself. He's experienced culture shock with all this Halloween stuff and doesn't believe in these Sanderson sisters at all, but then again, who would. Alison isn't impressed. She walks away, handing back his phone number.
Speaker 2: Bummer.
Speaker 3: Max speeds home while wearing one of those cool Rastafarian knitted backpacks from the nineties, stopping in a graveyard to see two burnout students, Jay and Ernie. Or Ernie wants to be called ice. The word also is shaved into the back of his head. The cool kids offer him a cigarette. Again not very Disney. There was smoking and drinking all over this movie.
Speaker 5: Yes, so yeah, that was a shock for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've watched seven hundred too many dcoms to be okay with. Somebody made on her a sticker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, hey, do you want to smoke a joint? It's like, come on, sang out here, smoker, just like wait, oh, Mick Mickey.
Speaker 2: Would not approve.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: Then, of course they attempt to mug him, but he doesn't have any cash, so they land on just stealing his new kicks.
Speaker 2: See, I'm a hip, they're nikes, they're kicks, their shoes, I get them.
Speaker 3: He now bikes home and just a socks, telling his parents his day at school sucked.
Speaker 2: He just wants to go back to la.
Speaker 3: While he pounts in his room, we take the POV of someone or something hiding in his closet. He eventually dozes off dreaming of Allison, but is woken up by his eight year old sister, Danny, jumping out to scare him. She informs him he'll be taking her trick or treating, but Max doesn't want a chaperone, but when she screams for their mom, he's forced to do it. That night, you dresses as a witch and he's in jeans, a jacket and sunglasses, claiming to be a quote unquote rap singer.
Speaker 2: Laziest costume ever in a movie.
Speaker 1: Didn't look like a rapper even.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was trying to be one. I think he just came out and closed and then he was like, I don't know I'm a rapper.
Speaker 2: I guess like he just died.
Speaker 1: Those sunglasses. I thought that was somewhat of.
Speaker 2: A cost The whole thing is weird. And then his dad's like, no, you gotta turn it sideways. It was.
Speaker 3: And so now we're out in Salem on a very busy Halloween night. Max takes his sister door to door, looking very peeved. He also sees those cigarette fiending bullies Jay and Ice and tries to avoid them, but Danny walks right up to him. They demand she hands over some candy, but she says her big brother will put them in their place, and then it's revealed it's Max. The thugs insult him for trick or treating and having a costume, which, honestly I get. Max hands over his candy like that he is and walks away. No, there's like six against one.
Speaker 2: He couldn't eaten to one.
Speaker 1: What was he gonna do?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what I would have done. I would have kicked my little sister down and run the other way. You only have to outrun your sister. That's the joy of it. I'm kidding, of course, but I'm not giving my candy away. Still going door to door, Danny is disappointed in her brother. She crashes in a nearby front yard and breaks down crying. Max apologizes and vents out all of his frustrations about being in Salem. Danny tells him the elements their home. Now he needs to get used to it. They make up and get ready to ring another doorbell and quickly notice it's a big mansion. This is definitely a rich person's house. They walk right in the open door, which I was like, dude, you're just walking into somebody's house, Like, what are you doing. It is the middle of a crowded party with adults all dressed as aristocrats. It's being thrown by that Hattie Allison's parents, She's surprised to see Max and offers them some cider. The whole shindig has a real eyes wide shut vibes.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 3: No needed to go into much detail here, but Danny references boobs by calling them yabos a few times, which again was like, all right, we're having a boob reference in a Disney movie too, cigarettes boobs?
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, I didn't recognize the yabos. Did you understand what the yabos were?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh you've never heard yabos.
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: I always thought yabos were like punk kids ruining the neighborhood. It's like, look at those yabos, like running around, like trashing thing, like the kids that are bullies. Like adults would have been like, look at those yabos. That's what I thought that was. I didn't think there were boobs either. Ooligains, Yeah, boobies maybe, I don't know who Ruffians that's what my dad used to call them.
Speaker 1: Ruffians.
Speaker 3: The girls is enough breast talk, I think for this portion of Magicy went thank you. The girls bond over their love for the lore of the Sanderson sisters, who Danny just learned about in school. Allison says her mom used to run the museum, but it was shut down because spooky things used to happen there all the time. Max suggests they go to the Sanderson House, and Alison is, of course down. Apparently she can just leave her parents' party with no warning whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Parents were kind of non existent in this entire film.
Speaker 3: Danny doesn't want to go, but when Alison leaves to get changed, she convinces her sister to let him hang out with the girl of his dreams and her amazing yabos.
Speaker 2: Feel just creepy, even saying.
Speaker 3: That the trio make it over to the Witch's condemned house and it's so abandoned it's basically one big cobweb. Also, they have a lot of Zippo lighters and unexplicably running electricity. Also, for the record of anybody who's ever owned a zippo, you fill it with gas and three hours later it doesn't work anymore.
Speaker 2: So the idea that this has been sitting there for years and still works is absurd, right. Yeah, it's also worth noting here.
Speaker 3: Omri Katz has said in several interviews over the years that there were many scenes of this movie he did while high on marijuana. Wow, and I would like to suggest that this is one of those scenes. Did you notice any of this at all? He looked like he might have been a little bit stoned.
Speaker 2: You know. I am not one to judge anybody. But not at work, dude, Not at work.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 3: So as they explore the house, they're being watched by a black cat, and we know who that is.
Speaker 2: That is obviously Sabrina, the teenage witch's cat. I'm kidding, different thing.
Speaker 3: And we also recognize a nearby spellbook covered in human skin and given to Winnifred directly from the devil, and yet it's still on display in this abandoned house. Max notices a black flame candle set to revive spirits from the dead when lit by a virgin on Halloween night, and just as he contemplates lighting it, Max is attacked by the black cat.
Speaker 2: Wants freed the veral animal.
Speaker 3: The girls just want to leave, but Max still doesn't believe any of this mumbo jumbo, so he lights the candle like a total dump, and when the flame quickly turns black, he immediately knows he's in trouble. The house comes alive, terrifying the kids and awakening the witches who are now cackling at the front door. They're ready for sweet revenge. This was another problem I hadn't problem is not the right word.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see how they were conjured back, Like did they come out of the ground, Yes, they did, they come from the mist. It's like they just showed up at the door.
Speaker 3: I would I know that's expensive, but I would love to have seen how they were brought back.
Speaker 1: Right, because it's weird to think, and it didn't seem like after they were hung. It so weird to say that, right in a Disney movie that the that the the people that did the situation with them just walked away. So they were just like left hanging there. So it's like, were they just like piled up under something And while they were doing it, the floorboards were turned I mean green and lighting up?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I thought, again, this was one of the things when I just recently watched it, you know, for the first time in a couple of years, I was like, oh, wait, did they come Do they come through the floorboards? Like it was kind of like, oh, yeah, we're and then it was like, oh, they just walked through the door.
Speaker 3: I would like to have seen how they got Yeah, the walk through the door was been kind of a cheat to me. I would like to have seen that because again, if if the way it was done in Salem, I think back in the day for witches is you were hanged and then either hanged and then drawn and quartered, or you were burned.
Speaker 2: At the stake.
Speaker 3: That's what I Yes, they obviously were not going to show these three women being burned alive. It was bad enough to show their legs swinging, but seeing them come back some.
Speaker 2: Way, we like.
Speaker 3: They showed the guy, you know, the guy with his mouth stitched up, They showed him like climb out of the ground, right, So it would have been cool to see how these witches came back, if they came through flame again or they could, you know, something like that would have been cool as opposed to just kind.
Speaker 2: Of walking through the front door or of their own house. But I get it, it's expensive and we're at ninety six minutes.
Speaker 3: So Mary immediately of course smells children who could be their first victims. They search the room and they find Danny, who alerts them that it's nineteen ninety three or what they The original line was it's the.
Speaker 2: First season the Boy meets World.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding, but things quickly turned dark as the sisters set her up for a good old fashioned soul sucking until Max intervenes. He threatens the witches, but is met with a jolt of electricity from Winnie like back in the day. As the siblings are in jeopardy of major bodily harm, Allison steps up, grabbing a broom in a pan to attack the sisters.
Speaker 2: Danny and the cat follow suit.
Speaker 3: Leaving room for the kids to finally escape, and on his way out, Max uses that amazing zippo that, for some reason has been around for twenty years and still works to trigger the house sprinkler system, warning of the burning rain of death. The witches hide and Banks tells Max to swipe the spellbook. Ooh, that's a lot of k's in a row and very difficult to say. And yes, apparently the cat does talk and the lady he assume there's nothing they can do except watch Max leave with the book because of this quote unquote rain of death and then they realize it's just water.
Speaker 2: They raise after the kids, but they're too late.
Speaker 3: They also have no idea what a paved road is or what sirens are, which again I thought, all this.
Speaker 2: Was very, very funny. It's not gonna be easy, Winnifred does.
Speaker 3: Really, they're all checking it out, and then they just pushed the youngest sister out to see if if it's gonna hold it out. It's like, well, if it kills her, it's gonna kill the youngest of us here, which is very funny. Winnifred does realize though, that her spell will only work on Halloween. When the sun comes up, they will turn to dust unless they find their book and its recipe to stay young forever. Meanwhile, the cat has led the kids to a graveyard and a tombstone for Billy Butcherson. He was Winnifred's lover, but she found him with her sister Sarah and poisoned him. The cat also points out his sister Emily's grave, explaining that he was cursed with the eternal life as a cat so he could be in Salem when his sisters were resurrected.
Speaker 2: I mean, yikes.
Speaker 3: Max tries to burn the spell book, but it's protected by magic, and unfortunately at the same time that summons the sisters right to them, the which is flank the children, and Sarah suggests you'll take Max's virginity.
Speaker 2: Sure is cool in a Disney movie.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: This is where they also set up that they can't touch hollowed ground, so they can fly over hollowed ground, but they can't set foot on hollowed ground. And that's going to be important because it comes back basically not at all, and when it does, it doesn't make any sense. And we'll get into that Winifred and Binks square off and the kids run away with the spellbook, dodging the witches left and right, and Winnie summons her ex lover Billy to rise as a zombie and attack. As a result, Max knox Billy's head off of the tree branch and the kids hide.
Speaker 2: In a secret crypt.
Speaker 3: Winnie commands Ability to find the children and the spellbook then calls him a maggot museum, and as they wait, a slightly manic Winnie decides to hunt out other kids, knowing their innocent souls will give them a little more time. They're eventually picked up by what we learn is a quote unquote bus and it's really flirty, totally creepy driver.
Speaker 2: This whole scene was like, oh, wow, this guy.
Speaker 1: Oh yikes, it was over the top.
Speaker 2: It always yep.
Speaker 1: There's the part where Sarah Jessica looked Parker looks so uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's just like, oh, thank you, thank you for that. We are now down in the crypt sewers.
Speaker 2: The cat is still making you laugh. I love it.
Speaker 3: Down in the crypt Sewers, the cat and the kids try to find an exit, follow closely behind by Billy, and in the process Binks is actually hit and run over by the bus. But remember he's immortal, so he comes back to life after making Danny cry. And this whole scene was like, look, they crushed the cat and then he like you hear the bones re knitting, and it's like, oh, it.
Speaker 1: Just get ivan. The cat is flat as a rug, like like, oh my gosh, oh that it just kept getting It was as cringey for a while there a good like three or five minutes.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Yep.
Speaker 3: And now the witches exit the bus and right into the mayhem that is Salem Halloween. They're surrounded by kids but are confused by the costumes. They think these are actual monsters. They beg for help and are greeted by their master. It appears to be the devil and is played by a contender for the Dabney Reynolds Chair director and producer Gary Marshall. Totally shocking cameo there, Y. The only thing that'd be weirder is if they cast somebody really strange to play his wife.
Speaker 2: Oh wait.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Danny finds a police officer and asks for his help, And in one of the weirder scenes of the movie, the skeptical police officer is shocked that Max is still a virgin. He's like fourteen, yeah, and shocked at the kids of virgin NOI well, he drives later with a permit, so he could be fifteen, maybe sixteen, but you'd better still be a virgin of fifteen or sixteen God, and lingers on the thought a little too long about that. In the end, the policeman thinks it's a prank, then reveals he was never a cop in the first place.
Speaker 2: It was a Halloween costume and it was just a really weird scene.
Speaker 1: It was so weird, but it was funny. They thought I was a real cop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like, oh God.
Speaker 3: And back in the Master's home, some tricker treaters steal the witch's brooms outside and fly away just as the Master introduces the witches to his quote little woman and an even bigger, weirder cameo. It's Penny Marshall, Gary sister playing husband and wife. She's best known, of course, as Laverne and Laverne and Shirley and eventually director of movies. Like a league of their own and big, it appears that the Master just married a regular old housewife.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, well that's odd.
Speaker 3: Sarah flirts with the Master and eventually slow dances with him, infuriating Laverne from Laverne and Shirley, and then we realize the Master isn't the actual devil at all, It was just a costume. Laverne kicks the sisters out, and now without brooms, they realize these costumes.
Speaker 2: Are just tricker treating kids.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, our gang of heroes have decided to try and find Max and Danny's parents at the Halloween party, which honestly seems like a hopping party. Frankly, there's this skeleton band and a lot of dancing adults. Max finds his dad, who's dressed like Dracula or Dad Cula, and Danny's stumbles onto their mom who's dressed like Madonna on The Truth or Daretur with the pointy bra that Serena was talking about dancing like she is rolling on ecstasy.
Speaker 1: This was like again, I mean, I know it's not a d com, but it's just like, wow, it couldn't be more extreme from what we watching having a mom. I mean even in under wraps, when she's dressed like Cleopatra, you know, a your seductive looking costume, it's still not Madonna with the pointed theos.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, yeah, this is there is a huge difference you're write between dcom and regular Disney movie. Even though it's still a Disney movie, there's a massive difference between the massive difference.
Speaker 1: It's just so funny.
Speaker 2: Oh man, yep uh.
Speaker 3: The witches arrive at the party, some exercise to do something about it, jumps on stage and interrupts the band. He tells the crowd that everyone kids are in danger and the witches have returned. The partygoers laugh, but he insists is not a joke. He points out the witches on the dance floor and instead of everyone being afraid, Winnifred uses the opportunity.
Speaker 2: To perform a song. I put a spell on you and the audience loves it.
Speaker 3: The witches take the stage and put together a great performance, and I get why Gene Siskel loved this part. And obviously Kenny Ortega is the secret of this success. What did you think of this musical number?
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: The only thing, the only critique I could seriously say is that I wish there were more of them throughout the.
Speaker 2: Yea I could see that, I could totally see.
Speaker 1: Thattman or how do you have one? One musical moment with.
Speaker 2: Yea with and the other two were great too, backing her up like.
Speaker 1: It was like we were saying, we just got came off of Sister Act. I don't know if Sarah Jessica Parker.
Speaker 2: She seemed like she could sing.
Speaker 1: It seems like she has a lot of experience within it because she was incredible. I just wish there was more. Honestly, I would have been okay if this movie was one hundred and twenty minutes. If I got three more routine.
Speaker 2: Oh, Sabrina, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me like that, Sabrina, don't I would.
Speaker 1: Sit through two hours. If I got blown routine.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. That's a lot. She got Bet.
Speaker 1: Miller keny Ortega lock me in, I'm in.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, that's two hours. Ooh, I'm just I'm having flashbacks to two hours. Zombie Billy also crashes the party just as the song comes to an end.
Speaker 2: The Witches it pulled it off, and the kids need to run for safety once again.
Speaker 3: By the way, the song that they sing puts all the parents into a trance where they're literally going to dance until they die. That's the right, right, So it's they It's a spell she puts on where the parents are literally going.
Speaker 2: To dance until they die. Crazy, so yes.
Speaker 3: The kids stumble into a seafood restaurant back Ali, and Alison has an idea how seafood triggered.
Speaker 2: The idea makes no sense whatsoever.
Speaker 3: But meanwhile, the witches then find the high school, which is coincidentally that was her idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of the Lobster beat boot but bee boot high school high school? Yep, lobster high school, hey school.
Speaker 3: As the sisters entered, they're greeted by Max's voice on the intercom, which was actually his voice, welcome them to uh high school. Hell, it seems like they've set up a trap for the ladies home alone style, locking them in a kiln where you actually do pottery and stuff like that, and burning them alive.
Speaker 2: Did your school have a massive kiln?
Speaker 1: No, not that I mean I never.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I was not involved in any electives of the sort.
Speaker 2: I have to imagine you would have known if there was a giant kiln on premises though, right, No, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think ours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't even have like a photography black light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean red light.
Speaker 3: This was a kiln big enough to kill three witches. I think we would have known if it was at high school.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is, by the way, and I don't think I've ever thought twice about it prior to now being this rewatch.
Speaker 2: Master exactly.
Speaker 1: Self proclaimed by.
Speaker 2: The way, thank you please.
Speaker 3: No one's gonna proclaim us masters of rewatch, so we got to do it ourselves.
Speaker 1: You're right, No, but this, I have never ever thought anything about this situation that we're about to just walk into right now. Never once. And this was like like a siren was going off, going wait what.
Speaker 2: What about burning them alive? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and how they how it doesn't work that I am now very confused either. This podcast is officially almost ruined one of my favorite.
Speaker 3: Because now you're starting to question the rules, aren't you sobrin nice?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 1: Or maybe I should say the podcast, Maybe I should say Wilfred Ell with the introduction into the rules, that makes.
Speaker 2: It has to make sense. You're writing, you're writing a script that's.
Speaker 1: Got to make sense, man.
Speaker 3: Yes, The kids watch the witches burn and green Smoke escapes from the chimney. They celebrate in the streets, and Max congratulates Binks. The cat really misses his sister and blames hisself for her death. He also blames himself for her death and is somebody else's voice. He attempts to strut off, but Max reveals he's part of their family now, and when they return home, their parents are now nowhere to be found, of course, because they're still at the party dancing, which might be a problem. Danny falls asleep cuddling Binks, and it all seems well, except the Green Smoke then returns to the high school chimney. The witches are not dead, and they explain it in that yeah right, They don't explain it, not at.
Speaker 1: All, not like how how how how what happened? In my head, I'm going, oh, it's because that book's going to open again. It's like, Nope, that's not happen. That's not what happened. They just literally went.
Speaker 2: Whoo and no explanation whatsoever. Nope. Yeah, I love that I'm ruining things.
Speaker 1: I know it was awful, and I'm telling you I've never thought once about it. And I've watched this movie so many times, but you will have just yes, oh you got it too. My head a week ago and went, wait a minute, okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, give me a list of some of your other favorite movies. I want to ruin them for you. It's great, so much fun.
Speaker 3: It is now three am in the Goons, Jay and Ice are tpeeing houses when the witches find them and lock them in their little cages. Back at the Sanderson Manner, but still without the spell book, the sisters are.
Speaker 2: Doomed for death.
Speaker 3: Back in his house, Max and Allison have also dozed off in each other's arms, but when she realizes it's five am, she knows she has to get home. And we've got to assume, since they're both still dressed, he's still a virgin. The new couple wants to find a way to help Banks reunite with his sister. Maybe the spellbook can remove the curse. Even though Binks told the kids not to open the spell book, they stupidly decide to do it anyway, and when they open it, it immediately alerts the desperate witches. They find some household, Bruce and fly to fly off to get it. Mary stuck with a vacuum, but even that works.
Speaker 1: I will say that vacuum is one of my favorite parts of Focus Focus. It's something that I will never forget. It's it's very funny, and she is so good with it.
Speaker 2: She's pretty. But if you can make anything fly, why not forget it? I love it. I'm not going to get into it. I'm not gonna do the rules for that one. It's funny that she's on the vacuum. It's funny it is Bings catches when that the book has been opened and is obviously furious. He knows nothing good will come of it, and also his parents still aren't home. This is weird.
Speaker 3: Max finds some salt, which apparently can ward off witches, and almost kisses Alison. Now did I miss the whole thing about salt? Where do we find out that salt was was bad for witches?
Speaker 1: They found it in the in the book.
Speaker 2: It was in the book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just must have blinked and looked down at my phone, so I missed that part. I'm glad they explained it because I missed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They almost kiss oo, but they hear some commotion and run upstairs to find the witches who now have the spell book and Danny held hostage. Allison starts breading the salt everywhere and it works, but it can't save all the kids in town.
Speaker 2: They leave with Danny to finally go and steal some souls.
Speaker 3: Sarah sings a new song on the flight, and there are many reports online they say that this tune was totally improvised by Sarah Jessica Parker. The lyrics some of the kids who now walk like zombies on their way to slaughter at the sister's house is the.
Speaker 2: Salt in their room. The reason why those two kids, our main two kids aren't also brought in by the spell because they listen to the song too, So why aren't they under the spell? Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is this part one of the parts where they're closing their ears and saying don't listen.
Speaker 2: To it, saying don't listen to it, but they don't ever close their ears.
Speaker 1: They don't close their ears.
Speaker 2: Oh, I watched it twice. They're just going don't listen everybody while actually listening to the song themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like I was like, wait, why aren't they And so I chalked it up to maybe they're standing in the salt room and that helped them.
Speaker 2: Like that kind of got me through it because I was like, that doesn't make any sense. Why aren't they also caught?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the well I think that the wording was like you, the magic doesn't work within that falt ring.
Speaker 2: But then they weren't in at ring. Yeah, yeah, I don't so okay anyway, uh she she yes, I know. Improvise the song.
Speaker 3: The lyrics summons the kids, who now walk like zombiez waiting the slaughter at the sister's house. Alison knows what's going on and knows they have to make the sun come up quickly somehow, and they need a miracle. At the sister's house, they've captured Danny, Binks, Jay and Ice and are now eagerly awaiting the arrival of Salem's youth spell book in hand, but Max gets there first and tells them they forgot something daylight savings time, and he said it wrong because it's daylight saving time.
Speaker 2: There is no s. It is not savings, thank you very much, everybody. It's daylight saving time, so everybody stop.
Speaker 3: The witches laugh it off because he pronounced the S, but are startled by a light coming through the window when they stumble in fear. Max rescues his sister and banks, but leaves the bullies behind. He kicks over the car, literally leaves the bullies to die. He kicks over the cauldron and runs to Alison in the cart. By the way, would have done exactly the same thing. Yep, it was, and taking my shoes back too.
Speaker 2: He played that an eye or good for you, good for you.
Speaker 1: I would have maybe taken that lighter that should have been a longer time ago.
Speaker 2: And little bit nice nice hey, he reput you.
Speaker 3: So people, it wasn't sunlight after all, by the way, it was the car's headlights.
Speaker 2: And these witches are kind of dumb, but that's part of their charm. That's the love. Is that they're scared of the water, they're scared of the lights.
Speaker 1: Them feeling like they're burning. Like Sarah at one point is the last one up, and she's.
Speaker 2: Just like, it was great. No, it was good, definitely good good.
Speaker 1: It's funny, funny.
Speaker 3: And then when the witches realize they've been tricked again, the black Flame is all almost out. There's just enough potion left for one child, and the entrance kids just arrived in the front yard, but Winnifred wants to sacrifice Danny only because the little.
Speaker 2: Girl called her ugly. Oh that's a big no.
Speaker 3: No, And so when he gets on her broom and catches up to Max's getaway car, they wrestle for control of the steering wheel, eventually getting away and parking at the cemetery. They race inside and Max is pushed down by Billy the Zombie, just in time for Winnie to show up, But instead of following her orders to kill him, Billy cuts his little little mouth open and insults her and helps Max escape.
Speaker 1: Some pretty pretty drastic words, I mean, Wench clearly could have been in quotations below it in the subtitles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what it meant in his day.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it was like, I mean heated, heated. Billy was pissed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at it, Billy was pissed.
Speaker 3: He also had two of the three sisters bingo car. They reconnect with the group and now the undead Billy is part of the crew. Alison surrounds the group with salt, just as the three witches fly above them. Max tries to hit Winnie with the bat, but she's too powerful, knocking him too the ground. She shifts her focus to Billy, once again, knocking his head right off. Danny has run out of the salt, leaving an opening for Winnie to swoop in and grab her, and just as the witch is about to use the potion to steal her soul, Binks himself jumps into action. He jumps at her, dislodging the potion from her hand and right into Max's possession. Now face with the reality that Whinnie can kill his sister with her bare hands if he doesn't hand her back the potion, he decides to do the unthinkable and drink the potion himself.
Speaker 2: Now, Winnifred has no choice, She's got to take Max.
Speaker 3: She begrudgingly grabs him and tries to fly off, but he's already starting to turn into a ghost and fights back. They grapple in the air while Sarah and Mary, still on her vacuum, try to help. Is an all out battle between the witches and the kids. Just as the sun starts to rise, flowing to the floor in a last ditch effort, when he grabs a disappearing Max and starts sucking out his soul. Is a race against the sun, And just as she's about to end his life, a ray of lights starts turned her into stone. Okay, she falls on hollow ground and they can't touch hollow ground. Where is the repercussions of her being on hollow ground?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Is it she turned into stone? Was that the hollowed ground part?
Speaker 3: Because they do cut to her feet like shaking and turning a little green, and it grows up her body where the other two just turned to dust.
Speaker 1: I thought it looked to me it looked like her feet were starting to catch on fire.
Speaker 2: So that's my question. That's I think that they're trying to show that's what she gets for hollow ground. But it should have been immediately.
Speaker 3: I know it was too difficult to do. She should have fallen on her face and everything should have started to smoke. Yes, because she's on hollow ground, right, And that's the whole point is that she can't. So that where I was like, h one more effect, one more little smoke and you would.
Speaker 2: Have had me. So I was like, what's what's the problem. Yeah, no, fog machine. I got one in my closet. I can help you out with.
Speaker 3: Like seriously, she she's hit the ground. Yeah, so yeah, that was the Yeah, So the ray of light doesn't turn her to stone. I think it's the hollow ground turning her into stone because the.
Speaker 1: Rest happened before, and it was it was part of it. It wasn't the sun that was doing that, right, That's what I think. The sun was just saying that their ability to get this their spell done, was there.
Speaker 3: Well, no, the sun turns them all into dust. That's the sunrise turns him into dust. But she was the only one who turned into stone. And that's because she's.
Speaker 2: On hollow ground. That's what I think it is. Okay, Okay, she knows she's cooked.
Speaker 3: She immediately turns into a statue and Max is released from her grasp. It's become morning, exploding Sarah and Mary into pieces, followed by Winnie statue erupting into what looks like green glitter. The children are saved. Max and Danny embrace, focusing on the relationship that Binks so clearly misses with his sister. They also say goodbye to Billy as he's returned to his grave for sleep. Max reunites with Alison and the trio look for Banks. They find him passed out and his sister's grave, and Danny is devastated as she sobs.
Speaker 2: We hear his v though not really.
Speaker 3: He's reappeared and now as a human in ghost formed. The witches are dead and his soul is free. He thanks them for all the hard work and sees his sister Emily in the distance. She's also now a ghost. Banks kisses Danny on the cheek and lets her know he will always be with her, and on his way out, Banks takes another stab at Max.
Speaker 2: For being a virgin. Were you crying by this point? No, okay, because I have to tell you I wasn't at all. And then I thought like, is that our movie? And yes that is?
Speaker 3: And I was like this, are you kidding me? This is the end, And so thankfully it wasn't. We get the final credit over the footage of the parents. I was like, thank god, somebody remembers the parents. We're going to dance to death. Leaving the dance, it appears when he did actually put a spell on the adults to dance NonStop until they died. We also see Jay and I still in their cages, captured with nowhere to go, and that's when we see the spellbook wake up.
Speaker 2: Things aren't done yet, Yes, pocus pocus.
Speaker 1: Not done yet, but you will have to wait thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and there's more to tell you three decades.
Speaker 1: Three decades later.
Speaker 2: Let's do real reviews now, Sabrina and you have the one star.
Speaker 1: This is so funny that you say what you said earlier.
Speaker 2: I know, and I didn't realize it, but here you know it's the one star. Who's this from?
Speaker 1: The one star? Is from the s or the.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that.
Speaker 1: It's not supposed to be Citizen Kane, you dolts. It's supposed to be cheesy, family fun in the spirit of Halloween. This movie is exactly what it needs to be. Note to critics, it has way more longevity than your career.
Speaker 2: Will one star?
Speaker 8: That a one star review, But it's good and I like you, thank you this. I have the five star review.
Speaker 2: It's from Lucia E. And Lucia didn't necessarily write a review for the record, it's more her own synopsis.
Speaker 3: And it makes me wonder did we watch the same movie because her synopsis is sexy witches.
Speaker 2: Take on the town in this steamy romance five stars.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm guessing on porn Hub there's a kind of maybe focus takeoff that she watched.
Speaker 1: By accidents of here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's not google that.
Speaker 3: And as Sabrina's favorite part of the week, of course is our feature game, and this week it's called what's your witchuation?
Speaker 2: You gonna let that's it for a little while. People.
Speaker 3: One of the best parts about witches are there crazy names. For example, how about Winnifred Well.
Speaker 2: Using an online witch name generator, we put some familiar names to the test and ask what their witch names would be. We'll get five names with multiple choice options, and we have to guess what their magical moniker would be. Three out of five wins. First one will for Dell, Oh my god, is it.
Speaker 3: A Cedric Rose Weaver, b Hamlin hose wench see rowan nightshade or d.
Speaker 2: Dan Smith. First of all, they don't incorporate my name into it anywhere. How how I it's so weird. I've gotta say, though, I like c I'm gonna say, a Cedric Rose Weaver. What are the.
Speaker 1: Parameters for this website?
Speaker 2: It's so ridiculous. By the way, who's playing with us today?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 3: Hi producer, thank you for playing with us. Yes, we have no parameters. It's just total guessing. And I'm gonna say a Cedric.
Speaker 4: Rose Sabrina is corrects like a Roman's novel name, like yeah, guy, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, so we've got number two Sabrina Brian is so crazy?
Speaker 3: Is it a Cybrella never Gloom b Sabriena verdantorum? See so you're also hard of renounce? See Sobioso's storm Caller Storm Caller or d Susan Frank. Oh, it's got to be a Cimbrella never Gloom.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I kind of like the second one, but yeah, I think you're right, Abrella never glue.
Speaker 2: It's b.
Speaker 4: But also, why does hers have so many more of like parts of her name?
Speaker 1: They can actually see that it would make sense somewhat with my name yours are like no Rowan. When I think of will I think of my next name would definitely.
Speaker 2: Be rowing row in night Shade, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Number three Jensen Carp Is it a aviator, Vince B Callum, Prince Lore, C flint Stonebinder or G or D Gary Johnson.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with D. Gary Johnson. No, C flint Stonebinder.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like a aviator, Vince it is c ahk.
Speaker 2: Got one, one, one and one. We need to get the last two for the most ridiculous game ever. That makes no sense. Number four Tara Sudbox.
Speaker 3: Is it a Sylvia Bramble b moonshadow Thornveil see Leora Hearth Glen or d Mary Cole?
Speaker 2: You go first this time.
Speaker 1: I love moonshadow Thorn veil.
Speaker 2: Sticking with you.
Speaker 1: About the changer contact information.
Speaker 2: This is my D.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is my next D and D character is gonna be named moonshadow Thorn?
Speaker 2: Who is it? Correct? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And why do you get that from Tara?
Speaker 2: You don't, You don't at all. Number five is Stu Creeker?
Speaker 3: Is it a Silas Moon silk b or Ryan Daylight see Zephyr Milosh or d Stu Creeker, I like a like sticking with you a silas Moon silk.
Speaker 2: So that's just one. Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: For helping us out with today's game, flint Stonebinder And can we now can we do a Cybrella never gloom Seas?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Actually know it with Cabriana Verdantorum, wasn't it? I don't know? Yes? Can we do with Sabrina?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 1: All right? I mean, the majority of the time I was watching this, I was going, I just love this movie. It's so good. It's just so good. But there were a couple things, like I said, and I wrote them down. Once I knew we were doing the movie, I kind of was like, Okay, when I go through, I need to remember the things that I thought last time, because it was only just a couple of weeks ago. And one of the first things I thought of was who was that little girl who is Emily? She is the most gorgeous little girl and she looks so familiar. But I couldn't find it.
Speaker 2: But oh, did you google?
Speaker 1: She was stunning, stunning little girl and she looked very familiar. I didn't google. I went to a better google. The Magic Rewine Google you go, and then as I'm watching it the first time, I went, oh my god, their teeth. I don't remember them having such crazy teeth. And that was before they became younger again, so it made sense. I remember going, oh my god, there's so much scarier and then realizing once they got you know that. But then this little girl is legitimately not only are they killing girls, but this little girl's hunched over dead in the scene, in the frame in camera's eyesight for a minute, and you're just having to pretend that you don't realize that there's like a dead body right there. Yeah, this Disney movie that was courage worthy for me. I was like, oh my gosh, I don't ever remember thinking that. I never really don't think I ever noticed that. But yeah, she's just hunched over after they've suck the life out of her. Yeah, for like a couple of minutes, as they're making banks into a black cat, she's dead.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like literally she's there for a while dead, this little child to us, yes, of like, where how is this happening? Yes, that's how we're starting. One of the funny little things that I'm with An example of of Kenny Ortega's like fun little choreography moments was when they all did the biting of their tongue and throwing getting that into the potion very early on. That was like a pure, like little just touch of magic that Kenny does with the timing of all three of them doing that making it kind of comedic and adding it to the potion. I loved that. My question after, are we really going to sit here with this dead girl? Just in the frame is so timing, timing, timing. In the very beginning, he is asleep, it's morning time. He's in pajamas. Right right there comes flying in. She gathers Emily to go very quickly. I mean, I don't know if this house of theirs takes a day to get to or what. But by the time he's at the house, it's nighttime.
Speaker 3: So it was morning when he runs out and he runs across field and then it's nighttime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's pajamas. That's why he doesn't have shoes on. He's in his pajamas. He's fully waking up.
Speaker 2: Actually, back in the day, they would probably be called bed clothes.
Speaker 1: It was in his bed clothes, bed clothes and no shoes. Nothing goes to the house and it's nighttime.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice that the entire day.
Speaker 1: I mean, it makes more sense when you think of witches, and.
Speaker 2: Well, could it be could it? Could it have been that?
Speaker 3: Okay, throwing this out there, that because he worked the fields all day, you go to bed at like six or seven o'clock at night when it's still a little light out, and so like what.
Speaker 1: Seriously knows that will?
Speaker 2: I know, but I'm saying maybe that's what it's.
Speaker 3: Maybe they went to bed at dusk and it's like so by the time he crosses the field and everything and gets the house, it's full dark.
Speaker 2: It looked like it looked like morning. Okay, I don't know. I don't know that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that. I mean, I understand why, especially the first time that we see the witch's house, it makes so much sense for them to be at night. But he just woke up, right, Okay, how far is this house? Maybe that makes sense why it took so long for all the rest of the village to come and take care of shit. But like he just woke up. So that was like the first like what and then again, I told you, I kind of just sunk in and watched the movie.
Speaker 2: It happened to you.
Speaker 1: I just let it happen. I just brushed it off. All of the things. I never saw anything really particularly super weird until the five a m. Mom and dad are not home still. I guess they're having a good time.
Speaker 2: No, No, I would be so panic unless your parents do that all the time and they set it up where it's like, hey, mom and dad aren't home having fun again.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I mean, I don't know, kind of crazy. To me, that was like, I agree, you're not even concerned at all all knowing that your parents were getting somewhat like you know.
Speaker 2: To me, that was all of the parents in this movie were crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you think about it, her parents, she just ditched out on the party and has gone till five am. His parents out partying, no problem all night long. And there it's like all the parents in this movie were weird.
Speaker 2: They were. It was weird.
Speaker 1: Weird writing for these parents, Yes, agreed, lack of care for their yes, tiny children, especially if it's like even her him saying go go to the go to Halloween trick or treating by yourself.
Speaker 2: She's like, I'm eight, Yeah, yeah, I eight. I shouldn't be doing anything by myself.
Speaker 1: No, in a weird area out where there's a bunch of strangers walking around.
Speaker 2: Not we just moved here. I don't even know the town. Yes, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Anyways, that's all I really saw, freaking loved. I thought it was so funny. It's such a good movie. It's perfect for Halloween. It's not too scary, but it's a little spooky. It's just it's the best. It's the best kids movie I think out there for Disney's.
Speaker 6: Wow, for Halloween, Halloween. Wow, that's that's stay around Wow. Okay, so then let's let's judge. Let's let's let's rate our film then, and we're gonna do one to ten. We're gonna keep it simple, and we're gonna make one the lowest, right I do so our options this week?
Speaker 3: Do we want to do one to ten? Horny Sarah's one at ten Jensen's Elementary school Friends, Hot Sarah, Jessica Parker's one to ten, half assed rap singers, eyes wide shut vibes, one out of ten, yabos, one out of ten, Maggot museums, flirty creepo drivers, or one out of ten.
Speaker 2: Daylight Savings which is incorrect time. I think I get to pick time.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, I want yas.
Speaker 3: I just want I want to continue to hear you say, Yavos. Do I go first or do you go first?
Speaker 1: I think I go first.
Speaker 2: This what he got?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not as shock. I love Kenny Ortega, not just because he's an incredible person, but I am pretty much obsessed with every piece of creation this guy makes. I think he's just's your absolute best. I love seeing this work. I love I love the storyline. There are some obvious holes and some what but I think that's just what happens. And for me looking at this movie, knowing how detailed he is, I feel like those answers that might have been answered hit the edit floor, knowing that we were at ninety six minutes. That's what I would assume because he's so detailed with things like that. But I love this movie and I'm excited that next year I will be bringing it background. I'll be back on my regimen of at least once a year with the Hope focus. I have not seen the second one, so I'm kind of figuring out, like, do I wait till next Spookie season? Because will we rewatch it?
Speaker 2: Do I want to?
Speaker 3: I'm guessing we're gonna rewatch it, so I wouldn't. I wouldn't spoil it.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't spoil I don't want to spoil it. But I'm excited to see what they've done. It was a long time coming till the second one came out, and I think.
Speaker 3: Only m I think only the three Witches are the only only people that return for the next one.
Speaker 2: I don't think any of the.
Speaker 1: Other characters I would imagine, And to be honest, with the characters, I don't wouldn't see it makes sense to have anyone else. There's no reason to have them now as parents like the kid, you know what I mean. Like, it's not really that, it's really the Sanderson's sisters. So I'm okay with that. And honestly, this is dead serious. I'm giving this a nine point five wow yahbos okay.
Speaker 2: I love that. I mean, that's that's that's what I am. It's a lot of yabos, A lot of yabos.
Speaker 3: I've had some yabos in my life, but never nine point five's that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Half of one is kind of weird.
Speaker 3: It's kind of weird. I I definitely like this movie, but it did have holes in it. I've seen better decoms that I liked, but yes, this was certainly it was fun. The three Witches were great together. Bette Midler steals this movie. It's so I'm not too far from you. I'm giving this eight point five.
Speaker 2: Oh good. No, I definitely liked it.
Speaker 3: You can see where the budget goes, you can see you get you know, these incredible actors. There's some story plot holes in it. There's some things that meet like you said, some like wait what? But it was a fun watch. It was definitely a fun watch. And I can see why people the voices through me, the voice coming out of one friend being another. I'm too I was too close to some of this, so it'll never be what other people get out of it. It's just it threw me a lot for a loop. But yeah, still a good movie.
Speaker 2: So yes, I think this is a solid eight point five yabosh. Yeah, And I can see why people watch it every Halloween.
Speaker 3: I watch Christmas Story every Christmas, and I can see why people would watch this every Halloween. So for this week's Parkopper episode, we have the one and only Kenny Ortega joining us. Yes, he is here, the man, the myth, the legend. We got him, We got him, We got him. We talked about his incredible career and the legacy he's created with his choreography in films, So.
Speaker 2: Take a listen.
Speaker 7: And when it came to the second movie, I heard that Bett wanted to do a movie that her daughter could go see, and that she wanted to make a movie that her kid could go watch, and that she really liked this script called hocus Pocus.
Speaker 5: And I said, let me read it.
Speaker 7: Let me read it because I had just done The Rose with her and Tony Basel okay, that she got nominated for an Oscar for, and then I picked hocus Pocus as my second.
Speaker 3: It was such a great conversation. You really need to go and check it out. I promise you it will be worth it.
Speaker 1: Isn't it just so crazy now that you've watched it to still think this was his only second movie he directed.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, it's crazy. It's just somebody really good at what he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rewatching it again was like, that is wild.
Speaker 3: Did I tell you my idea of what I think will be the most amazing musical? No Is Kenny or Tega's life.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, like you do Kenny or kingfe You.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about it. You start with him as a kid learning how to dance, learning how to choreograph. You go through him being with Michael Jackson and everybody that he's doing there, then the directing and all the musical is he's done.
Speaker 2: Literally the Kenny or Take a story as a musical would be insane.
Speaker 1: I had never heard his original jump into the business, That's what I'm saying, And it was so cool to hear. I had no idea he is that young. I had no idea that he did, you know, the directing and stuff at that's such a young age. But prior to him going into the choreography, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it was just yeah, I might just call it simply Ko the musical, but I think it would be an incredible, incredible, absolutely movie. Well, anyway, speaking of movies, our next one is supposedly a memorable one.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've never heard of it.
Speaker 3: It's the two thousand often unhinged fantasy comedy starring Lindsay Lohan and Tyra Banks Life Size. All I know is that it involves magic spells, Dolls Coming to Life and a song from none other than My Boy Meets World co stars Nobody's Angel. You can also watch it on Disney Plus, so go watch it right now and enjoy the movie before we can even check it out ourselves.
Speaker 2: That's what you should do.
Speaker 3: And remember, you can catch up with all of the popular decomcast and crew members we've interviewed on Magical Rewind. All you have to do is go to your preferred streaming service and search for Magical Rewind. We have our own dedicated feed and everything is right there at your fingertips, from that amazing Kenny Ortega to the not amazing at all, She was awful Maggie Lawson to David Henry.
Speaker 2: Of course, I'm kidding. Maggie's is the best. We love you, Maggie.
Speaker 3: We have sat down with some of the biggest Disney names of the past and the present, so what are you waiting for? You can also follow us at the Magical Rewind at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram machine. Now it's on your phone, tablet machine. Check it out.
Speaker 2: Bye everybody, Bye,