Speaker 1: And I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. But you're a guest to my home. You gotta come to me empty And I said, no guests, you're our presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 2: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Brigard wineger Ah. We're in the studio. We were supposed to be in the backyard, but Annalist got in touch and mentioned something about flash flooding and the rain, and it is raining. I don't know about the flash flooding. I don't know if this is something on at least cooked up just to spend more time in burbank, as they love to do. But we're here in the studio. I drove over using surface streets. I took off highways on Google Maps, and it took twice as long. It simply took thirty five minutes compared to seventeen. I drove through ten miles of Los Angeles neighborhoods and it felt incredible. I'm here safe, our guest is safe, We're all safe. For now. It's an absolute. I mean, it's just a The storm outside is historic I think we should get into the podcast because I love today's guest. It's George Severis. George, welcome to I said.
Speaker 3: No guests. Hello, it is an honor to be here. You're the first person I'm speaking to today.
Speaker 2: What time did you wake up?
Speaker 3: I woke up like at a normal time, Like maybe, but I'm in an airbnb by myself. Actually I did speak to the person that I ordered coffee from, Okay, and I went up to him. Right after a woman that went up to this is just a normal coffee shop. And she went up and she goes, do you guys have just like water? And I just thought it was like such a beautiful Los Angeles statement, like do.
Speaker 2: We know if she was thinking of like she wanted a cup of water, she wanted a bottle of water.
Speaker 3: I think she ended up getting a cup, but it just was really such a like there's we've become so complex in our specialty drink orders that it's now gotten. It's like horseshoe theory, where it's now actually the most insane thing you can order is just a glass of water.
Speaker 2: Is the base of everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like how I you know, I get dairy milk with my coffee.
Speaker 2: Sorry, oh boy, we can get it to that too.
Speaker 3: And so, but there was a time. You know, now that Trump is back in office, dairy milk is legal again. But there was a time when you actually had to like ask if they that was even off or places right. So I had to become the girl that's like, do you guys have just like cow Milton, what is your order?
Speaker 2: My order?
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm now just drip coffee hole, which is the most basic. It's like borderline Republican. It's like diner. I'm like just an all American cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like that is borderline republic And I feel like, you know, going super extreme if you have like more than four words in your order, I think you're starting to you're closing in on conservative territory.
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean I think it's tough because basically what I have slowly realized in the same way that like skinny jeans went from being gay to being straight or whatever like to being oliver truly like Republicans. Yes, everything that used to be a sign of like hippie dep by, you know, like New Mexico liberal or whatever is now is now like rfk coded it's the weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like spirituality, Chiro, pract everything has just become a complete muddy mess exactly. It's impossible to tell what anyone is at this point, and so it's strange.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about that. Sorry, I promise I'm not someone to talk about politics as much. I keep politics. I'm actually gonna stop.
Speaker 2: This to pod save America.
Speaker 3: This is the last thing I would say. But when Tim Walls, remember him, when Tim Walls this thing was like, they're weird, We're normal. I was like, this feels like a real shift, like sour thing. Our thing as the Left is that we're normal. That's like that is our official talking point. That cannot end. Well, and honey, you did it.
Speaker 2: It s imp they didn't, but it's kind of true at this point. Yeah, at least, or maybe we're just boring. Yeah, maybe that's the word.
Speaker 3: We should be doing, which again can't be the messaging.
Speaker 2: As boring. I think that the what should have the word he should have been using is pervert. Yeah, we should have been labeling them pervert. That's kind of what weird was code for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you're sort of claim I mean, it's tough because obviously the stereotype is like gay people are perverts and now and now we're like no longer perverse, no longer perverts.
Speaker 2: I'm a pervert.
Speaker 3: Well, same, And that's the thing. It's like, how much ground are you willing to seed right to like prove that we're normal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I what, I don't know that there's even a model of normal at this time. I think it's just literally it comes down to minding your own business, which I've always been very good at. Yeah, except for I'm also extremely nosy and a giant gossip I know.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about the like reclamation of gossip as like no longer bad? Like, don't you think there's like this thing It started with people being like gossip is feminist because it's like whisper networks, the truth be told and the truth is being.
Speaker 2: Just getting out somehow.
Speaker 3: And I feel like then that became almost like cliche And now I don't know where we stand with gossip.
Speaker 2: Well, it's weird with gossip because I think there was this giant drought of it during COVID when we were so separate from each other totally. We were whenever I would have a friend come over to the house, it was like news of the world. You were just desperate to hear anything about any other person, and it felt it was so electrifying. Yeah, and now it does it just feels like it's almost entirely conversation. It's like there's nothing else to talk about. I think it's also because still nobody's ever working. We're never in an office with each other. Yes, so like what used to be like this spicy thing during the day is now you're still kind of desperate to hear it, and it's almost always I mean, it doesn't make you a better person than.
Speaker 3: You, No, no, it does it.
Speaker 2: I loved I still love to hear it.
Speaker 3: It's better than small.
Speaker 2: Talk, yes, but it almost is just essentially Yeah, but that's kind of all anyone wants to hear anymore. Have you heard any gossip?
Speaker 3: I know, you know, for a while before where it became public, I had heard about the Barack Obama Jennifer Andison rumor, and I really was like every time people will be like, do you have GUSSA, I'd be like, boy do I like for months and now I can no longer have that as And then people were like do you believe it? And I'm like, it's not about that for me, Like.
Speaker 2: Well that that and that rumor has also taken on new life in other categories which I feel like we can't even talk about the cat and they're not again. This is also goes back to minding your own business sort of thing where it's like if I had heard, if I just knew Barack and knew Jennifer Andison as people who were not public figures.
Speaker 3: You would love them. You would love Barrock.
Speaker 2: They dropped you off at the suiting, Yeah, yeah, No.
Speaker 3: Jen always is driving me around.
Speaker 2: She was the person asking about water this morning.
Speaker 3: She's it's her guest room. I'm staying at my Airbnb that I was talking about. She actually needs some extra income and she's been renting out her guest room. She's in this two bedroom. She has a housemate and it's just them and the dogs, and it's always nice to be there, you know, she and she always has whole milk for me.
Speaker 2: It's tough times in home. Yeah, yeah, But it is one of those things where I like, if they weren't public figures, I'd be like, yeah, they're in an opener, somebody's in an open relationship. I don't care it sounds like they're having a wonderful time. They're both great looking people. But it what I think, celebrity gossip is also also kind of boring to me. I agree, because it's I don't care, it has no effect on me whatsoever. I might as well be talking about fictional characters.
Speaker 3: Here's a question for you. Do you care more about gossip that's like cheating, interpersonal marriages, or gossip that's more like professional This person, like you know, got a book deal but didn't submit a draft like that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: That's I'm more interested in professional and they're just generally a bad person behavior.
Speaker 3: I agree, And I actually think that is the more moral type of gossip.
Speaker 2: Absolutely because I do it.
Speaker 3: Yes and well of course. But then also the other type of GUYSIP took care to think cheating and open and like non monogamy as scandals, you actually have to have conservative family value.
Speaker 2: You have to essentially have the brain of a child exactly. It's like you just don't understand that relationships are complicated. Everything is complicated in that way, yes, whereas the other sort of gossip, it's like if you're a if you're acting like a shithead it's pretty cut and dry. You're just being a bad person and I love to talk about it. Or if you're like, see now there is so much gossip. I would love to talk to you right now. There are like certain specific things I've heard about recently.
Speaker 3: We just excuse. I recently heard someone who wrote a terrible book got six hundred thousand dollars advance on it. And I've been telling you everyone I know.
Speaker 2: Oh, can you say there any when we could beep it? Or is this just something we can talk about after the podcast?
Speaker 3: You know? I wonder if it's someone you would know. It is actually a fellow podcaster, but not a fellow comedian, so it's not someone in our immediate community. But I am sure, Okay, can I say that we'll beep it?
Speaker 2: I mean, on Sam, your co host, it's some tag famously, his is the only episode of the show we've beeped another name. Really, we might as well have it be match.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yes, let's keep it.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. Oh what a shame.
Speaker 3: It would be iconic if then you just didn't beep it. And then and then I this random person that I literally never met my life, was like furious at me. Because I A said their book was terrible. That wasn't some sort of pronoun joke. By the way, I'm just like wanting to uh.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, of course, and will analyse will tastefully this make it exactly what it is.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. Okay, Actually, now I'm gonna stop talking about it because if I keep talking about it, then we have to keep beeping it. The point is one of my favorite types of gossip, which is also I feel like a very New York kind of gossip is gossiping about specific number like what people got paid for their book deals of course, for books that like ultimately no one will read, like no one reads.
Speaker 2: Books unless it is that the thing that became the Blake Lively movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, of course yes. And fiction is different because it can be optioned.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, it's almost built to be optioned. Fiction is sort of basically like a pitch document. Truly.
Speaker 3: It's crazy sometimes because I will, even though I know new novels are mostly bad, I do fall for the marketing campaigns and I'll read them and I'm like, this is at a second grade reading level, and it's like, right, it's made for Ryan Murphy.
Speaker 2: But it's made to be easy, so people will read.
Speaker 3: It, yes, and so specifically Hollywood people will read it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I fall for it for that reason, and because I'm like, well, everyone else is reading it, so I need to know what's going on. I know, And then it's just this massive waste of time and I'm mad. The biggest example of this and I can't. I mean, I only read probably ten pages before being like, wait, oh, I know what's going on. Was there was like a big New York Times thing about the fireflies or what was that thing that was that horrible? I mean, it's truly a bad piece of literature that became.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know what you're talking about. Is it the wait? Is it the one that.
Speaker 2: What's it called set in a swamp or something?
Speaker 3: Hmmm, the Fireflies of Swamp.
Speaker 2: I remember. It was just like huge thing about it becoming like a runaway bestseller, and I was so curious and I started reading. I was like, oh, yeah, it's because most people stopped literally stopped reading books in eighth grade. Yes, and God bless, but that like that's all they're capable of, and so the big books become these things that are written for young adults.
Speaker 3: I actually feel so alienated from it because I was about to say the sentence I think of myself as a reader, Please bleep that.
Speaker 2: But like whatever Brook the book where the Crawdads, that's the one I was, okay, where the close fireflies in the swamp, where the thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What is it?
Speaker 2: Where the crowd dancing? Right?
Speaker 3: And they made a movie out of that with It's like not Blake Live, but it might as well have been.
Speaker 2: The person from Big Little Lies?
Speaker 3: Was that?
Speaker 2: What's her name, Shyleen shale Lean.
Speaker 3: Yes, by the way, Shalleen very good on stage? I saw her on stage and she was very good.
Speaker 2: What was she doing on stage?
Speaker 3: She's in the She was on Broadway right now on a show called Cult of Love, a written by Leslie Headlind And it actually I just read is being made into a film.
Speaker 2: Okay, And again another thing that's kind of a it's like here's a proof of concept and we make it on TV or film.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay, so wait, you were talking about something before as whatever we.
Speaker 2: Were talking about gossip?
Speaker 3: Oh, no, books I feel alienated by Like when I look at what is selling well, like it's romanticy is the big oh?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: So Romanticy is huge. I don't even know a single title, but that's like what everyone's reading.
Speaker 2: But you can almost like the second you see a title of a book, you're like, oh, that's that must be romanticy.
Speaker 3: Yes, And of course the woman who wrote Blake Lively movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, Colleen Hoover, Colleen Hoover, Colleen, Colleen.
Speaker 3: Colleen, Colleen. I would actually love to be named Colleen and be like it's actually pronounced.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think there's like there will rare just very occasionally be a book that breaks through. That's like Sylie Rooney's Yeah, like Sally Rooney. But other than that, And again, Sally Rudey is an interesting one because her I think her writing is I really love her writing her novels, but it's also very clean, pros and easy, not in a bad way, but like it's not well. Her latest is probably difficult for people to read. There's a little bit.
Speaker 3: Really, it's the only one I haven't.
Speaker 2: Read almost stream of consciousness or like you're in different people's heads at different times. So it's probably her most challenging for the general reader. Yeah, but she's one of the few that can actually break through.
Speaker 3: I know it's like, and it's sort of the best we can hope for. I actually really don't like it when people will shit on Sally Rooney because I'm like, do you understand how she's the only one we have?
Speaker 2: I know, true, we have got to support this.
Speaker 3: There is one smart woman writing books that are being read. There are many smart women writing books, but only one is being read. And like, at the end of the day, like they are good.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she's writing to her own intelligence level in saying the things that she wants to say.
Speaker 3: Same thing she wants to say, not like appealing to some like Yes, her books have become series in films and whatever, right, but I think she's challenging herself with each one.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I mean I think it also helps that they're sexy.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are.
Speaker 2: Almost everyone has something that's relatively sexy that you get to picture, like an Irish hunk, totally, and I think that helps in some way. I agree this latest one has two irishmen, so hopefully that will help.
Speaker 3: I have to say Chess is challenging for me, Oh sure, sure, because it makes me feel dumb, Yeah, of course, which is also how about cross for puzzles?
Speaker 2: Oh? Interesting? Many crossword, but I refuse to do a big crossword.
Speaker 3: So my husband is one of those people that like has been doing it for decades and like prides himself in his on his time right record or whatever, and like every morning, like in bed, he does it in six minutes.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: And when we were first dating, I was like, I'm going to try to impress him by starting to do it myself.
Speaker 2: And I was so bad at it it actually.
Speaker 3: Made me resent him. I was like, I don't why this first makes me feel bad.
Speaker 2: But the thing about crosswords, the big secret, is that it is a puzzle that you learn how to do, which uh and no, nothing about your husband totally, but it's not entirely about intentionally.
Speaker 3: He's a complete idiot. He's just literally like pressing buttons like a monk.
Speaker 2: Barely function. He just figured out how to do this one thing.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, that's also what he says. But then I'm like, okay, but then even that shows the level of commitment.
Speaker 2: My problem same. I refuse to commit to anything that's difficult, take any level of time.
Speaker 3: No, I feel the same way, and I actually don't know how to fix that. And that's why I'm here.
Speaker 2: Do you play connections I have.
Speaker 3: I definitely am more into something like that than the crossroad I do, like I went through a world affairs like everyone else. I do spelling the occasionally, and I can get into that kind of thing, but I've never been. Okay, let me know if you if this like resonates, there's a type of gay guy that's like it's like word games, trivia. Like I used to be part of this thing called Learned League, which is like a trivia league. Do you know anyone who doesn't know it's It's one of these like kind of nerdy trivia things. And then you find out this person you thought was normal is randomly amazing at trivia. And I tried doing I would always be like in the bottom like fifth of all rankings, And I was like, this is just making me feel bad about myself. Of course, But then I've been reading have you ever read Amusing Ourselves to Death?
Speaker 2: Yes? Of course.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I've been reading it for the first time because I thought maybe it would make me feel sane or about like social media and stuff. It's not.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was written in the.
Speaker 3: Eighties, in the eighties, but it is still very lot of it's extremely rong. But one thing that he says, which I think is interesting, is that like television and you know, by extension, new media has made information into entertainment and that gave rise to like trivia culture and like trivial pursuit and things like that, because it's like you learn all these things, but you don't learn them in context, and you don't learn them as part of like a broader worldview. You just know little facts and all that prepares you for rather than being like an informed citizen is just like being good at trivia. And so that made me think, like, oh, so it's actually like flop to be good at trivia, Like so I'm I'm actually the smart one for reading, like for you know, reading, let's say like a couple of books where I learn about a topic in depth, but not having broad trivia knowledge. And people that know trivia are basically sorry, amusing themselves to death, pernial postman.
Speaker 2: They have there's nowhere for that information to go for them, Yeah they have. They have no actual skills. They're essentially worthless to society totally except for their kind of fun at parties or really annoying at bar trivia. Now, yes, I mean I will say well, I won't say that this for all people who are really good at trivia, but a lot of people I know who are good at trivia are largely deeply unpleasant people to be around.
Speaker 3: Well, it extends to other parts of their personality, yes, because it's like a it's a sort of you gotta be number one. Yeah, and it's very got to catch them all. But with like pieces of information, with everything, and I don't know, I used to think of myself, for example, as someone who like knew about the oscars and then you meet other gay guys and you're like, I'll get it, and christ like I just knew that, Like you know, Julia Boche won for the English patient. Wait no, wait, no, that is not Wait that's not like you're exposing both Scott Thomas. That's Christmas closer, it's Christmas Scott Thomas.
Speaker 2: But no, she must have won for something.
Speaker 3: She definitely has.
Speaker 2: She's I mean, she's maybe wow, this she was great. Do you actually know about the oscars? I know so little about the oscars. I mean I have a very hard time. For whatever reason, my brain cannot consume celebrity names. Sorry, English patient, English patient. What'd you say?
Speaker 3: Did I say English patient?
Speaker 2: I feel like you said you possibly said.
Speaker 3: I don't know. All right, go ahead, I'm actually we're beeping all of that.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, there's going to be a lot. It's going to sound like a flash flood warning to those large amber alert. I don't know anything about like, I have a very hard time holding celebrity names in my head or celebrity facts, even about celebodies I really love, And I don't understand why.
Speaker 3: I think that. It's like whatever I learned by the age of like, let's say, twenty seven, is really burned in there. Yes, I certainly can't learn about anything new. Ones. The other day, someone was trying to talk to me about Brianna chicken Fry. Do you know does that resonate with you? It is apparent. I can't even get into it. But it's apparently like a barstool sports podcaster who used to date a country musician and they've had drama that is like on the front page of every tabloid, and everyone somehow knows about her.
Speaker 2: Chicken Fry her real last name.
Speaker 3: It is not her real last name, but it's a name she like. I think maybe people. I called her that and then she like reclaimed it and now she's Brianna chicken Fry. I mean it is sort of an iconic name. I guess I would love to be named Brianna chicken Fry. Maybe I would be, like, you know, on every billboard if.
Speaker 2: That was, well, that's the name I'll be able to remember for the rest of my exactly because one of those things is not a name, right.
Speaker 4: Also, I just have just to make you feel better words. Kristen Scott Thomas and Juliet Banoses were both nominated for the English Patient. Juliet Binoche won. Oh, Scott Thomas was just nominated, so you werel I.
Speaker 3: Got to wow. So I'm basically, uh, Lewis Ertel, that's like my go to for someone who knows Lewis Bertell.
Speaker 2: I mean the mind is yeah, it's an absolute No, it's crazy, it's really wild what he's able to conjure. Yeah, it's unpleasant person, just one of the worst. No, Like I think, and going back to trivia a little bit, I think maybe you can relate to this as a gay person. Like growing up, you're probably during trivia games with friends, usually probably the best at it. Which probably inflates your ego in some way.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then you get out into the real gay world, and that's when you really get demolished. You come out being like, well, I know some pop culture trivia and a little bit that was decent enough in history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean. So here's the thing though, my parents are both engineering pH ds, so that creates a different element to all of this, which is growing up I was and I'm the only one in my family who did not pursue the sciences. I was always like, you don't. It's like everyone else would know about you know, the details of mathematical like you know, the sort of like math and science part of trivial pursuit or whatever it's called, right, And I would be struggling. And my mom is like a huge history buff and like like has very encyclopedic knowledge of geography, and so she would like shame us for not knowing like country capitals and stuff. So actually, to your point, I grew up being very insecrat that I didn't know that stuff. And I'd be like, well, at least I know who won the oscar for the English patient. And then as soon as I graduated from being with my family to being with around gay people. I also felt insecure about not knowing enough about Juliet Pinoche. So I'm actually I've never felt so confident about trivia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just kind of I guess I tried to avoid it at this point, and we'll just be very quiet during Jeopardy until I know an answer. And then when even when I know an answer on Jeopardy, I don't really say it because then it's a parrot that I didn't know any of the other answers. Yes, I'm just not meant for that world. I don't know where I'm meant to be, and hopefully I'll find it some Jay.
Speaker 3: Same. I mean, we're running out of time.
Speaker 2: I'm rapidly.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's basically I basically am the person I'm going to be until I die, and I uh am I happy with it?
Speaker 3: Probably not right, I know. I go back and forth, like do you when you wake up? Like, are you like we're on a good track.
Speaker 2: Currently. Yeah, that's a very good question. I feel like we're in such a period of this. This is kind of a true answer of like what is going on anywhere? And it's hard to base where my life is in any respect.
Speaker 3: I agree, it's weirdly like A. It's almost like a death of all context or something. Yes, every move I make in every word I say exist in a vacuum.
Speaker 2: It means nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it actually goes back to the weird versus normal thing. I'm like, what is normal?
Speaker 2: It's nothing, it's nothing, it's nothing. There's I don't even aspire to another person that I'm like all that person seems pretty normal.
Speaker 3: Okay, so two things. A exactly what you're saying. I don't aspire to anyone else's life or existence. Wait what was the second thing? I was gonna say? Fuck, damn, Okay, it's gonna come to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like maybe the like outside of me. The two categories people fall into this point are either boring or psycho. Yeah, and so I'm well, I don't want to what am I supposed to do? And I'm certainly not going to become my own thing?
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: So what's the what's the third option here? Oh?
Speaker 3: I know what I was gonna say. So A, you can't aspire to anyone else's life and be there are no leaders that you like. There are no like moral or even like rhetorical leaders, like in the way that like it used to be that likeasically public intellections, like who am I looking? Okay, so all these crazy things are happening, Who am I looking to? Who's the gnome chum Ski? Yes?
Speaker 2: Who will bring some comfort in this situation?
Speaker 3: And like you know, when you watch old clips of like a Susan Sontag or something, You're like, oh, people would turn on the TV and just watch this, listen to the whole prime time And now we have Brown a chicken.
Speaker 2: Fry and the only reason we know about her is some other thing that she's not even yeah, like what what information am I supposed to derive from the chicken fry family?
Speaker 3: Totally? Yes, exactly, or even like at least you could be like, oh, we used to have like John. I mean, I know John Steard is still alive, but it's like times are different, Okay, I'm not actually being comforted. As much as I love and respect John Stewart, I'm not actually being comforted.
Speaker 2: He went away for a very long time and now he's come back, and I'm like, I don't even know what for. It's a pet cemetery situation where I'm like I don't even know. And also I don't I'm not going to watch a full episode of the Daily Show. What are we talking about? I'll see a random clip and uh, and then again going back to amusing ourselves to death. It's like, well, if I didn't know any of these people or any of the things are saying would have any effect on exactly what I'm doing right.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm so glad that amusing ourselves to death got like a big response from you, because it could have gone so in the other direction.
Speaker 2: I had to just like, so, I see some tissue boxes on here, what should we talk about this? It's no, it's a very good book. It's great, and there are a few kind of rusty things you've come across, but of course it's forty years old or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's very funny to remember which things people had moral panics about, like he loves on a chapter where he's talking about like religion on television and like televangelism, and it's like, oh, boy, like you have no idea how bad it's gotten. Like imagine him like like introducing him to the concept of a megachurch.
Speaker 2: Oh, you would have no they're in arenas. Yeah, they're arenas like bigger than rock concerts. It's crazy rock concerts with I don't know. I don't know. Well, I feel like there's something else we should talk about. I don't want to. I didn't even I've been trying to delay, delay, delay, because I'm not comfortable bringing this up on my podcast. But you're here. I feel like we should just get through this as quickly as possible. I was excited to have you here today. I thought, George will come on the podcast, we'll have you know, we'll catch up, talk about things that are important to us and the listener, and move on with our days. So I was a little shaken, borderline upset when you walked into the studio the podcast is called. I said, no gifts. I feel like you must know that you were holding a gift.
Speaker 3: I was, yeah, I I sort of have so irony poison that I actually do the opposite of what I'm asked at all times. And I thought, consider it like my edge lord tendency. I said, I'm gonna fucking bring him a.
Speaker 2: Gift when you're not on a message board. Yeah, you're taking that behavior.
Speaker 3: I have a Reddit personality, I would say, I might not be good at trivia, but I am good at saying slurs on the internet.
Speaker 2: Can we take one moment, though, and to talk about how redda has had such an interesting for the for decades. I thought horrible website run by the men I would not listen to in any way, and now I'm crawling to it for any sort of real information.
Speaker 3: I know. It's kind of crazy, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's humiliating for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Reddit is such a fascinating like part of the culture too, because its influence spreads so far. Like I oh, I'm a huge tennis fan. I always think about the fact that Serrina Williams is married to the founder of redd hit. I didn't know that, and it's like it just goes It's like and also I don't know much about him, so please don't come for me, but I'm like, compared to so many other tech CEOs and tech founders, he actually seems relatively like normal and is married to Serena Williams, which is more than I can say for And so it's like then also read it had like one of the first female CEOs, which is so so goes against their like the sort of reputation they have in the evaluation. Yeah, it weirdly is one of the only social media platforms that wasn't like overtaken by advertisements and like promoted content and just like slop right, like Instagram is a hellhole.
Speaker 2: It is so awful, so unbelievably poisonous in so and literally everyone it's crazy and it's become inescapable. And but also I don't know, I don't know what to do with that aspect of my Yeah, yeah, I wish I wasn't tied into it professionally.
Speaker 3: No, I I every day I wish I would. And also sometimes I'm like, is that even a cop out that I even pretend I am right.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have any effects?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know, But what if it does. Let's bring out the gift it's in this beautiful little white bag.
Speaker 3: I would say the store that it's from is very misleading because it's actually has nothing to do with read.
Speaker 2: How have I never heard of this? It's called Bestie's Vegan Paradise. Is it a vegan grocery store?
Speaker 3: So it is a vegan grocery store or like a vegan sort of specialty food store that also sells hot dogs. Okay, but they also do, in fact have non vegan hot dogs, oh, which is strang's a huge line because it's on the one hand, like, obviously it's great to appeal to more communities and to be inclusive, but don't call yourself a vegan paradise if you specifically do also have hot kind of one of the most like you know, meat forward that.
Speaker 2: Palatable vegan hot dogs and sausages vegan Like, I feel like almost no one can tell the difference. Yeah, so why bother with a real hot dog?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 2: Is it a cost cutting measure?
Speaker 3: I honestly think it's that. I think vegan businesses realize very early on that actually the vegan population is much smaller than they think.
Speaker 2: Right, that's gonna be a rude awakening when you're like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think. And then a hot dogs. Honest, they are probably pretty cheap, right, They already have the toppings. I'm sure the toppings are vegan. Anyway, I don't want to delay this further. The point is the gift has nothing to do with vegan or food.
Speaker 2: I hope it's just a non big hot dog.
Speaker 3: They also have like little knickknacks and stuff. Okay, I mean it's a story in Los Angeles, so you know they're gonna stell candle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's reach in here.
Speaker 3: And I tried to go for maximum unwrapping potential.
Speaker 2: Oh I love thank you the listener appreciates that. I appreciate it. And it's especially crinkly, I would say the pain. I love this. I just don't even want to look at this. I kind of pets the rapping.
Speaker 3: Okay. And it's multiple parts okay.
Speaker 2: Oh should I take them out in particular order?
Speaker 3: No? No, I mean it's like it all comes together. Okay, so see that's the most exciting part.
Speaker 2: This is kind of should I describe it yet?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Like a little Adobe house, yes, with a ladder. And should we talk about this or should I keep opening, keep opening, keep opening.
Speaker 3: It's a little miniature house.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it's a miniature house with a little chimney.
Speaker 3: It's it's apparently made in New Mexico, so it sort of has that like New Mexican.
Speaker 2: Like what we were talking about earlier. Yes, exactly, it's surfling back to its anti vax.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's an anti vax woman selling her ware. So that's the bottom you can put it.
Speaker 2: On top like this.
Speaker 3: Okay. The one thing is it doesn't like click into place.
Speaker 2: It does not click into place.
Speaker 3: It does not click into place, which I found interesting but also more charming.
Speaker 2: Does it click into place at No?
Speaker 3: I know because I tried in the store and I had to accept that it doesn't. There is one more thing in the bag.
Speaker 2: It simply doesn't. It just makes it look lopsided. Yeah, it looks like the house is built on a bad boundary.
Speaker 3: But that's how you know it's you know, handmade, authentic. Yeah, okay, So basically these are like incense that you put in it. That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Like food.
Speaker 3: It definitely looks like or rabbit droppings.
Speaker 2: Can I smell them?
Speaker 3: Sure? I haven't. Do they smell good?
Speaker 2: They don't smell like anything. I have a bad sense of smell though.
Speaker 3: Let's see. I think they maybe will only smell when.
Speaker 2: You like to burn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I definitely not. Okay, So so yeah, things like the I think you put them there. You can also cut them in half if you want.
Speaker 2: I was told, if you want to be thrifty. Yeah, it's a Again, they don't. Yeah, so it almost feels like a fire hazard totally because sparks will be flying out of it. Yeah. I love this. So but did this come from Vegan Paradise? Yes, so you were kind of just browsing.
Speaker 3: So here's what I'll say. I can tell you my thought process. I was like, obviously, the prompt to get you a get to quote unquote not get you a gift.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Beep all that is beep to gain.
Speaker 3: The prompt for a a.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a lighter. Should we light it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's light it. I would love to see how it works.
Speaker 2: This is unbelievable. I didn't think it would be allowed to light up. I mean, this could lead to some sort of disaster.
Speaker 3: I'm really not a like an incense type person. So, okay, so it's being lit. I think you just burn it a little bit, a little bit and then it just it just smokes and then.
Speaker 2: I just want to look into the camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, and then it sort of comes out of the chimney and.
Speaker 2: We'll come out of the chimney. How much do I need to burn it? I'm not saying any smoke yet. I see now I'm burning my thumb, which is okay, let's see.
Speaker 3: If damn, maybe if I oh, but I smell it.
Speaker 2: You smell it, do you? And again I okay, it's almost like a cedar, yeah, cedar chip. I really want it to keep going. But I know same, I should not be allowed to use a lighter. I'm not. I think, just like, keep just keep going for a minute.
Speaker 4: So you just keep just until it catches on fire basically, and.
Speaker 2: Then oh on a Leasa is trying to vacate the studio essentially, I mean you it is. Oh, there we go, here we go. Okay, it's on fire, and now it'll all be great.
Speaker 4: Blow it out.
Speaker 2: Oh I blow it out?
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh there okay, now oh and now it's okay. That is stunning. There we go.
Speaker 2: Oh and it's got the smoke. It's a very cozy little place. Okay, now you know what.
Speaker 3: I know it doesn't click, but you've actually placed in a really great way where it looks intentional. I think, yeah, it's not lopsided.
Speaker 2: And now I'm starting to wonder if it's not supposed to click. I wonder if it's definitely not supposed to click, but like almost on oh as in like you want the smoke to just be I wonder if there's some sort of design element where they that makes sense. I can't speak to lighting fires or how any of this works, but it looks intentional.
Speaker 3: Definitely. I actually think it looks really amazing. Okay, so do you want me to tell me you projects? So you know, the prompt is wow, the smell is actually pretty.
Speaker 2: Well, this as close to it Joe Rogan episode as possible. I've got a cigar in my mouth.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I was like, all right, getting a gift. There is something that feels so desperate as a comedian to go to be like what can I get? That's so crazy? That's like it's like, oh, I'm getting you like a giant dildo and like and or you know, I'm getting like a big giant sombrero, like you know, you you. The instinctive force is to go big and to be either like borderline offensive or like so all comedy that it's like I got you a paper click.
Speaker 2: Right, and then it's literally not a conversation.
Speaker 3: And so I was like, Okay, maybe the most radical thing I can do is get like a cliche, faceless, completely lacking personality, like housewarming gift, like a candle, a picture frame, something like that. Right, So my intent, and I saw that this place had a whole candle section. I was like, I'm going to get him like a vanilla candle, and that'll be like the joke is just like it's so personality less that it's like if your aunt that has not seen you since you were four came to your wedding and like brought you a gift. But then I mean, I'm sorry, but I just have such amazing like esthetic impulses that you know, you see a diny little so I was in the candle section right with the intention of buying a boring candle, but then I see a little maide in New Mexico, God made in New Mexico miniature house that you put a little thing in it and then the smoke comes out of the chimney, and I'm like, well, I can't not get that.
Speaker 2: It's so charming, So I really this can actually go in my home.
Speaker 3: And actually I completely shot myself on the foot because it's like this is no longer funny in any way. It's just like a cute little object.
Speaker 2: Which I appreciate. I think that this is kind of a secret for guests on this podcast, is if they bring something that's genuinely interesting or interesting to them. I mean this is a shock, yes they want to talk about yeah, which I think. I mean, this is something I actually want to talk about because I've never been to New Mexico and I have anything that's obsessed with the idea.
Speaker 3: I have no connection, no connection with New Mexico. I literally don't like incense, Like I'm much more of a candle person at home. Ever, with incense, I don't know anything about, like ceramics, Like this is completely for an object to me, and yet I'm looking at it now and I'm like, you know, sorry, but you're never gonna throw that out, Like you're gonna you're that's gonna be part of your life forever, and you're gonna have to move apartments or move houses with it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna happily move houses. And it's also something I can carefully put in a box. It's not going to overtake anything. Yeah, you know, there are some There are different categories of gifts that I get on this podcast, Things that are actually in my house that I can put up and just leave and I don't feel ashamed of It doesn't detract from the rest of what's happening in my home. Then there are things that I that are interesting to look at but I certainly wouldn't put out sure, And then there's garbage. Yeah, and this is number one.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy. No, And I really to think about the garbage question because I was like, is it funny to bring like a complete like a cup of coffee? Because right, because, by the way, let me say this, generally speaking, this would be a very easy prompt, like bring anything and we'll talk about it. I am visiting with no access to my own things, staying in a completely like faceless airbnb, and it is pouring rain, and I don't have a car, so actually hell, Like I woke up to me and I was like, oh, I'm like I should cancel. Like it would actually be easier to cancel than to think of something I could like either walk to from my airbnb or get an uber to a store.
Speaker 2: No, that's a I mean, this podcast for me obviously is not that difficult. But I think about when there's any level of homework or anything for a podcast, I have to think about it. The way I spin out is unbelievable. It's like the only thing I care about in my life. For the week leading up, just trying to think of the thing. And so I try to just ignore what my guests have to go through because.
Speaker 3: But I appreciate it though. I think like it's very you're almost like deconstructing, like the idea of a conversation, because the conversation has to have a topic. Sure, and you're like, okay, so what object can we talk about? Yes, that's completely random.
Speaker 2: That's the absolute hope that it, like it will force a conversation in a way that no natural conversation would Africa. Yeah, but back to New Mexico definitely.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I also want to say, there were other options. One was like more of a TP, and other I could have. I was like, I can't go in a direction that feels almost like I wouldn't say appropriative, but like, well, if I give you something that's shaped like a TP, then I would have to like make jokes about the idea of the TP.
Speaker 2: Yes, TP is a complicated territory.
Speaker 3: Complicated territory.
Speaker 2: I think it's not what we went through an elementary Yes, we've societies kind of figured out the TP's not just a generic symbol.
Speaker 3: And of course I'm sure it has different connotations in New Mexico, again, a state I have never been to.
Speaker 2: Of course, there may have never been a TP in New Mexico.
Speaker 3: Who knows. So so I was like, and then there was a log cabin that was the other.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, which is boring and stupid.
Speaker 3: Thank you for saying that to me. I'm like that I could imagine living like if I was to move to New Mexico, I would want my house to look like this.
Speaker 2: If you live in just kind of a new build in New Mexico, why are you in New Mexico right exactly, You've got to be in something that looks like it's made from clay. Yeah, it should be in the sun at all times.
Speaker 3: I really like the little top. So if you turn around, you see that there's like a ladder that leads.
Speaker 2: To yes, yes, and this little door.
Speaker 3: Imagine a dinner part, like an outdoor dinner party. The natural wine is flowing, you have everyone there, you can see your view of just like the desert, I guess, and people are smoking.
Speaker 2: Hash too much ash. No, this is almost a reason I can't go to New Mexico, because I've really created the ideal version of what that state is, and I will just briefly say they do have the absolute best state license plate.
Speaker 3: Oh what is it?
Speaker 2: It's stunning. I'm going to show it to you because recently my home state switched their license plate to the most boring possible.
Speaker 3: You're from Utah, yes.
Speaker 2: And it's infuriating for me because we used to have a kind of a fun license plate, and it's upsetting for me. This is the New Mexico plate. The coloring, the design, Ah, that is stunning. Why every states it's like, oh, we're going to go for it. Why wouldn't you go for it.
Speaker 3: There's something about New Mexico and Arizona where like they were so ahead of the curb, just graphic design wise, oh yeah, and like design trend wise, oh yeah. And it's interesting that people always call that family of aesthetics like Scandinavian, like the sort of minimalist whatever, clean lines, and it's like yeah, but it's also.
Speaker 2: Southwest, extremely southwest. Look at this little house, so.
Speaker 3: You look at that. You don't get that in Copenhagen.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely. And you can't be out on the deck in Copenhagen.
Speaker 3: You cannot be out on the deck in Copenhagen.
Speaker 2: Maybe for a week a year.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, God, when I went to Copenhagen, I've never been more ignored in a gay club in my life. I might as well have not existed, is that true? Yeah? I don't know what it was. I mean I also probably had a sort of air of desperation about me. I was like pretty young and like didn't have the you know, disarming confidence I have now. I mean I would never dare to bring this as a gift to someone.
Speaker 2: What was the general vibe in the Copenhagen club?
Speaker 3: I just think there's something about this was probably like twenty fourteen. Let's say, there's something about like the cliche out. It's like imagine like a Japanese architect, you know, like clean lines, issimiaki, like sort of like kind of wide legged pans, yes whatever, also really tall because it's media. Yeah, and so everyone was dressed like that, but as though they had like woken up that morning. That's trick. And I just like was very like American apparel because that was what was going on over here. You were drinking land of American apparel, I'll admit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was we were. That must have been post article about that guy.
Speaker 3: Creep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the mustache.
Speaker 3: By the way, they have great clothes now at Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Angelis Apparel, but the company has kind of been taken over.
Speaker 3: We hope I will not be looking into it.
Speaker 2: Good cotton, yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great cotton, great basics, great basics. Great. Uh, I've in my old age. I'm experimenting for the first time in my life with like a I wouldn't call it a muscle tea, but like a sleeveless interesting.
Speaker 2: I wonder if ever I'll wear a sleepless thing to the gym.
Speaker 3: I think you could absolutely put you have God blessed.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that. I just I don't know that I could go out in public in just polite company wearing it and be like not thinking about it the entire time.
Speaker 3: No, I know. And you know what else, when a gay guy wears a sleeveless shirt, I literally have to stop. I have to my instinct as though it's like an as though it's like the doctor hitting my knee and my knees going up and my legs going up. Literally, I cannot stop myself from saying okay, arms like it's it's shocking. It's like you think you're not that cliche or what you know, you think you're not someone who would say arms. And it literally happened to me in Chicago recently. My friend Parker was very sleeping and I genuinely it was as though I was suddenly hypnotized.
Speaker 2: Okay, arms, And then like if someone were to say that to me, I don't know what I would even do with the information because it's like half a compliment.
Speaker 3: Half of just like it's not saying yeah.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, now I'm now even thinking about it even more than I was. I know, I'm gonna go stand in the bathroom something. You're flexing like, yeah, it's a strange, but you're experimenting with this.
Speaker 3: I know. I'm oh, yes I am. I'm experimentedless. There's something about it that feels I mean again, I wouldn't go on a you know, I wouldn't go to like a wedding in a sleeveless I very much am against like red carpet like vest only on a red carpet.
Speaker 2: Yeah that it simply has never worked. I don't care how many it's not. You will look back and feel bad about wearing.
Speaker 3: That where And also no bare chest under a blazer, like just wearing sure and.
Speaker 2: Sleep because it's just that is not that's not clothing, not accepted, and it's you would not wear that to the grocery store. No, And I know that the red carpet and grocery store are different things, but they are both in public.
Speaker 3: It's also like, clearly you're wearing it to show off your arms, but it weirdly actually makes you look less. Okay, what do arms denote? Like a sort of like good masculinity. But then when you just wear a vest, it's like, okay, well you're Katie laying.
Speaker 2: You're dressed like a fifth grade tea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it has the opposite intended effect.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, And almost no vest ever looks good in any situation, so fully exposed, just seeing pure vest feels crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would not wear it in like It's more just like if I'm going to a gay bar, I will occasionally do it and be like, well, this is my big arm day. I'm actually kind of gonna I'll let you know a secret. I'm gonna do it on Friday because I packed one and we're I'm going to some sort of gay party on Friday.
Speaker 2: You're invited it's completely appropriate and I'm gonna show up in the same thing. Yeah, yeah, I feel like that. Maybe that's a place to kind of try it out. Yes, get comfortable with it.
Speaker 3: And actually, in that context, you're the most conservative one because everyone else is shirtless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody's or in a vest with nothing under it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like being fisted.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like I'm in that. I'm Tim Walls being like, well, I'm normal.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you freaks exactly. The other thing this is, I guess just the existing in general thing is like the amount of thinking about myself I'm doing is simply not what anybody else is doing. Yes, they might just glance and be like, I mean if I guess if the shirt looks good, they think, oh, that looks good, and they move on. They didn't think about the days of planning you had and putting it in your suitcase and being like, I'm gonna do it totally.
Speaker 3: That said, there is a point at which they do, like, if you are dressed stupid enough, they do start thinking about it exactly, And that's actually it's like I think I'm I could get away, I think you or I could get away with like a sleeveless tea from Los Angeles parents. Okay, okay, but then let's keep going further. It's like, all right, maybe then after that, it's like, could we get away with spaghetti straps? No, I actually think if your eyes showed up to a function wearing like a sort of limited two spaghetti straps of a little.
Speaker 2: Flower over here losing friends rapidly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everyone would like keep commenting on it, and it would not feel good.
Speaker 2: Because it's so far out of the realm of possibility for what I wear. Yeah, not that there's anything wrong with that, but for what I've trained people to believe about who I am. I know to show up and that would be too much for everybody, and it would be an evening ruining experience probably for everyone.
Speaker 3: But if you were if you and I showed up in matching limited to there we go. Now no one knows a bit, Yeah, no one knows what to do. But also it's like it's also like, you know, we know each other, but not that well. But then like us showing up in matching outfits at a party and then everyone's like, oh, I didn't know they were like best friends.
Speaker 2: I didn't know they were so clothes, and then people start wondering like should I wear that? It actually kind of does look good And this is how you break down social north totally and create a new reality. Yeah, maybe it's time for me to get one, but I'll have to be bround gay people first, gay people and women wearing it before I hang around with a straight people because straight people love to raz.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's I know, it's it's complicated because it's like they do love to raz. But then it's also I feel like, at some point sort of post you know Jonathan Vaness, straight people were like, all right, just to be sorry, I'm not commenting on any clothing, so they actually, you can show up wearing a truly like a cow Halloween costume with utters, and a straight I will just be like looking at you, dead in the eye, being like, so like, what do you do? Because he's so afraid.
Speaker 2: There's no idea what's going on in the culture. But yeah, I guess that's probably true.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Interesting. I feel like it's purely intention if if it looks intentional, it's always intention But yeah, this I don't know. We'll see what happens with my future fashion choice. But I have been wearing them to the gym and it's felt I'm getting more comfortable with the idea. We'll see what happened.
Speaker 3: What the future I mean at the gym, you know, it's like you are flexing by design, right, and it's always nice to get a little peak of yourself mid flex with the Yeah.
Speaker 2: What are you working in with here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Also, my gym is very inconsistent with the air conditioner, and it truly initially was out of necessity because it's like, what are they doing with the ac?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I am. I feel like I have the flu when I'm in this place. I love the place, but there are some issues with air flow. And so I started. I got on YouTube. How do I make a sleeveless shirt?
Speaker 3: Oh? You made it yourself?
Speaker 2: I made it myself. I made several. Wow, they look great.
Speaker 3: I I gotta tell you, Los Angeles A Parel will do it for you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pop in there and see what they've got.
Speaker 3: I would be remiss not to say that this has stopped fuming.
Speaker 2: There's absolutely no smoke. Is now just let's slide it up for the rest of the episode. Why not? And is there anything left we have to say about. I mean, travel wise, I really would like to go to New Mexico. Is there anywhere you're looking forward to going?
Speaker 3: Ooh great question. Well okay, I am allegedly going to Japan.
Speaker 2: Oh that's exciting.
Speaker 3: When allegedly in the fall. Okay, I have not planned it yet. This would be our honeymoon. Oh how excited, but like a year after we got married. Okay. Sure. The reason I'm being hesitant about it is because every single person I know is going.
Speaker 2: To Japan or has been in the last or has been in the.
Speaker 3: Last twelve months. And it's like, I'm almost old enough to not care about being part of a trend, but not quite there. But I also it feels crazy to be like rolling your eyes talking about Japan because it's literally the most expensive trip I will ever take in my life. So I do need to be like excited and ready to go.
Speaker 2: It's very funny to me talking about travel as trendy, oh country that's existed since forever. The other sad that's gonna blow over.
Speaker 3: Exactly, which is how I feel about. It's like, when I went to Mexico City, I was like this, you guys, this is what you're going to, Like, you're all just going here to like go to like vintage stores that sell like Rolling Stones t shirts, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like the Vindo stores in Mexico City, by the way, are extremely expensive. I was shocked.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, there's there's no right way to say this, so I will try my very best. Mexico City, as curated by gay guys in Brooklyn and Los Angeles is a completely overrated sham. I obviously Mexico City more broadly is like a beautiful historic city and like I think it's like a lovely place to visit, great food, whatever. When you get one of these Google docs where all these fucking fashion people and like random people that are like music producers are like you know, randomly work for like Andy Cohen or whatever. There are millions of these Google docs and people will not be shy about sending them to you. They all have the same exact recommendations. You go to those places, you're like, are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 2: My secret? I went with a straight man who spoke Spanish.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go.
Speaker 2: You have incredible experience.
Speaker 3: Now you actually have to go with a specifically straight man who is Mexican or at the very least speaks Spanish.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's uh spoke Spanish and loved loves Mexico in general. So it felt it was two gay men and a straight man, and the two gay men didn't care what we did, so we just got to follow the lead of this person. And it was a perfect trip. But what you're describing as hell.
Speaker 3: It's hell. And I actually like, I mean, we ran into multiple people we knew from Brooklyn, and I was like, I was humiliated, was.
Speaker 2: Like, Mexico.
Speaker 3: Kidding me? And then we were like what are you, Like, what have you guys been doing? And they just mentioned the same places that we were going to go to from the fucking Google spreadsheet that like Anthony Proowski uh created.
Speaker 2: The last person in the world I want dictating my travel Oh my, oh so Japan could have I mean, that could happen to you in Japan.
Speaker 3: So this is this is my big goal, is like I really don't want it to happen to me in Japan, right.
Speaker 2: So do you have goals within Japan that you want?
Speaker 3: So we really have not started planning it yet, but I actually am this close to like looking into a travel agent because I read. I read an article on the Wall Street Journal that said that gen Z is reinventing travel agents.
Speaker 2: I've been saying this. We took them for granted for so long, and then the Internet collapsed and you no longer can count on yourself or the internet, right, none of that matters anymore. You need somebody who actually knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I want, like, uh, you know, I want like a Japanese woman who's maybe forty seven years old. You have extremely detailed file of this person, and I want her to have already had a career in Japan as like something cool like museum curator or something. And then you know, she had she married, had maybe got Marritian American, Yeah, and was like, you know what I've I love the art world, but it's gotten so toxic, like I need to, you know, I need a second act. And she threw her experiences in the I actually I am loving this person. I'm describing through her experience in the art world and traveling and basle and all this stuff, she actually has really developed amazing taste in food culture or whatever. And so then she was like, what if I become a travel agent. I know all these wealthy people from the art world. They can be my first clients. This is like, and that's how she sent her kid three kids to college.
Speaker 2: Japanese travel agent reach out. Yeah, exactly, she exists, she's got to be out there. Of course, there's something within that ballpark.
Speaker 3: She had to toe com to Garsan. I can picture her. It's like, so I really need her to reach out.
Speaker 2: Do you have cities in mind within Japan?
Speaker 3: See, I shouldn't have brought her up because literally we have not started talking. Like I just I think because we are obviously using money people gave us for this. Like it's the first time my life that I feel like I can really go for it, go for it. Yes, So I don't have any sense of geography, but I'm like, if we can do multiple cities and do like two or three days in each and we can really like book like two weeks of travel, like, It'll be the first time in my life that I'm doing anything that ambitious.
Speaker 2: Right. The travel agent is writing, all.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, thank you so much. Have you been to Japan?
Speaker 2: I have? I was there in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, did you enjoy it?
Speaker 2: Hated it?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: You kidding? It's out?
Speaker 3: Y're so careful about about like my uh, you know review of Mexico City, and now you just hate the entire country of Japan.
Speaker 2: No, I mean it was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that's what everyone says.
Speaker 2: It was kind of this experience of like I left, I was like, oh, no, I've ruined going anywhere else for the rest of my life because that's the only place I want to go. It was. Everything was just wonderful, endlessly fascinating. The food was so good, it was not as expensive as I expected. Around was so easy. There are just so many different parts of like Japanese culture and entertainment that like, I was there for ten days and I saw, you know, the smallest thumbprint of all of it. And I went to Tokyo and Kyoto and I was alone, and I was just wandering around and it's the only place I've ever felt safe completely just being like I can get lost and it does not matter.
Speaker 3: Well, that's great here. I mean, it really is one of those places that ever again, it's an entire country that is one of the most like one of the literally most populous countries in the world, and I keeping like, yeah, it's just like everyone that's a great place. I'm also very conscious of sounding like a dumb tourist because I am from a place that is such a tourist this thing because I went I like mostly grew up in Greece, right, and so tourism is such a big part of the culture that I as a Greek person and as someone who went to high school in Greece, I know, I roll my eyes so easily at like cliches that people have about it. M hmm. But there's no if you're not there's no way to know what the cliches are about other places.
Speaker 2: Those are the big things you hear about and you're like, well, I guess that's what I see. Yeah, do Greek people resent tourists?
Speaker 3: You know, actually they don't, I actually think. I mean, you know, obviously to an extent, if like a place is overrun by tourists, then you can no longer go to your favorite beach or restaurant or whatever, then obviously that's bad. However, because Greece sort of doesn't have any other huge parts of its economy, no offense right right to the country, tourism is so like when tourism is booming, that just is such a good sign for the health of the country. Yes, yes, And so I think Greek people, like especially compared to you know, Italian, French, like other places where maybe there's more scoffing at tourists. I actually think Greek people are incredibly hospitable and like really go out of the way to learn English, and hospitality is really seen as like a serious industry and right and whatever. So yeah, it's sort of like shipping and tourism are the only two industries. It is the only things you ever hear about, unless you're like lucky enough to like own Faye, right, which is huge.
Speaker 2: It's one of the biggest h that's a crazy success story.
Speaker 3: Insane and it is. The people sometimes ask me like, oh, Shirley Faye is like in America. It's like that's not what Greek people eat. I'm like, no, it is like.
Speaker 2: You can find that in grocery stores in Greece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the number one.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's what I grew up eating.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's amazing. Yeah, how long did you live in Greece.
Speaker 3: I lived in Greece for most of my early childhood. Then we moved here for like six or seven years and then we moved back when I was thirteen, so okay, I went to high school there, so it's sort of like it bookended my experience in America. But then because I lived as formative years here, I feel pretty American and I don't have an accent.
Speaker 2: What part of the US did you live in?
Speaker 3: New Jersey?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, fantastic, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely, yeah, Yeah, it was so amazing.
Speaker 2: I have no problem with New Jersey.
Speaker 3: It's just it to me. It's so like I lived in like suburban New Jersey almost like almost imagine Connecticut. Not as fancy obviously, but like that was the level of suburbia just right of like adjacency to country clubs, you know, sort of a commuter town for New York City, Like my dad worked in Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Right, what city did you live in?
Speaker 3: I lived in? Uh, it was in Morris County.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: We lived in New Providence and then Chatham. Okay, if that means anything to.
Speaker 2: Your li, Like, my boyfriend's from Lyndhurst. You know where that is. It's near Giant Stadium Okay, okay, cool, cool, cool, So that's my one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, little I do feel like connection to people from New Jersey okay, and like there's something about New Jersey that is so perfectly like normal to me. I'm like, okay, well, you're from the East coast, but you don't have the like specific wasping New England nests right right. But then you're also not like New York City kid that like, yeah there's some money. He was literally doing coke at four years old. It's just sort of and it's like a obviously it's like a blue state, but it's not like so you're not, you know, in San Francisco or something crazy.
Speaker 2: It's a little I mean, as far as I guess I'm trying to as far as La goes, it would be like growing up in I would say maybe Arcadia or al Here. Sure close enough, but like far enough away from.
Speaker 3: Honestly, even people who grew up in the Valley I find are so normal when I meet because they're like just far enough away. I guess I'm just thinking of Kirsten Dunce.
Speaker 2: I don't know, she does seem like a good egg. Yeah, let's say no, I've never heard a bad thing about the first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, can you imagine if what would the rumor be? Like I do I would love gossip about Kirsten dun Right.
Speaker 2: I feel like it would be like she wants to go to dinner too often.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or one of my favorite things about here and done so that she endorsed Bernie Sanders and then he immediately dropped down and no one remembers it. And I actually one time looked through her Instagram. I think she might have deleted her endorsement.
Speaker 2: She embarrassed.
Speaker 3: She was just like she was. It was so funny because she clearly came from a good place. I think she, you know, earnestly supported him, and she like posted a little tile and she was like hashtag feel to burn and then he like dropped at him.
Speaker 2: That's a rough feeling. Anytime you support something and then it falls apart. You're a little like, yeah, where do we go from?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this. I feel like, and this has been brought up almost exclusively by me on this podcast multiple times, but the pronunciation of yero, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny. I was just listening to your episode with Katya and you were talking about it with Kata.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and what I feel like You're the first person that comes close to being an expert on this.
Speaker 3: It's just I mean, it is Euro. It's just like with a Greek accident, it would be.
Speaker 2: Ro, right, like a rolled ar. Yeah, like we just I've tried to. Yeah, it's just I feel like I'm shocked by how far Gyro has spread.
Speaker 3: It's actually one of those things that is like a never ending conversation. Somehow I'm trying to think of another. It's like how people pretend they hate the word moist or something like. I had been hearing about the pronunciation of Euro for legitimately my entire adult life, and I'm like, don't you guys, Like, didn't you guys are some much Just learn what it was, how it was pronounced and move on with your life like you did. Like it's it's very confusing to me.
Speaker 2: And people really plant their flag in Gyro.
Speaker 3: Which is like, obviously that is not how a Greek word would be pronounced in what way that said, It's like I don't know we for example, why is the university called Notre Dame. That is psychotic That one has gone too far, but everyone just knows, like you would you say Notre Dame if you're talking about the church and Notre Dame. If you're talking about the university.
Speaker 2: Well Notre Dame, Notre Dame, and a Notre Dame. I feel like there's a very like the French take it even further. Yeah, so, but I feel like Notre Dame it was somebody who had a an axe to grind pronunciation totally.
Speaker 3: So I so I you know, when we lived in New Jersey because my parents were four, and there were like little things that I like didn't understand and like, you know, sort of would step in it sometimes because we didn't speak English at home. And one of them actually was I had heard someone pronounce it Notre Dame, and I was like, okay, so in America that's how they say those words. And then I was separately talking about the church and I was like so yeah. And then like we were in Paris and we went to Notre Dame and then suddenly I sound like a fucking loser that doesn't know how to pronounce it, because I thought that that's how you say it in America.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't have to hold both things in your brain.
Speaker 3: It's and I actually I think I even like learned that difference, like in my late twenties.
Speaker 2: Like well there's a very like there's a thing about like if you were at one of the football games and you said I'm going to notere Dominame, people will be like, oh, look at mister book's over here. It's like, well, fuck off, who cares.
Speaker 3: I'm from Europe.
Speaker 2: But Yero, for whatever reason, haunts me to this stay totally.
Speaker 3: No, it is. It is. I mean, and it's like, yeah, you could go up and say like you know, but it would be why would you do that?
Speaker 2: Like you would sound like nobody rolls. There are in the United States, I mean in English, in English, yes, in American English. Uh, well, I'm glad that we have kind of the final word. Yes, it's important.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting to me, People talk about euro all the time. People don't care about how you pronounced azeki, which to me is a much more difficult like t z together right, I guess it is more fanatic. It's like you literally pronounced it's a zeke, but like.
Speaker 2: Wait, so what is the actual Greek pronunciation that's zeke? That yeah, and I would say like tetsik.
Speaker 3: Sure, but well, people have a difficult time. So my real last name starts with the T S, and I change it to a CE because no one can. People have a hard time with T S and t Z, which appear in Greek a lot, right, and so.
Speaker 2: How would you say your name in Greek with a Greek X see.
Speaker 3: Like it would just be like my real last name is Severiotis And then I shortened it to wow. It was like the video at this and I was like, all right, vets severs, Oh, okay, okay, but like there's a very successful tennis player named seat Bus. It's like t s I t s I p as and it's like, forget about it, Like you think John McEnroe is going to pronounce it.
Speaker 2: It's no way, not in the heat of the moment. Yeah, oh well whatever, Yeah totally, I just needed an official pronunciation. Yeah, I think it's time to play a game. Okay, unless we have anything left to say about Adobe houses, I'm sort of like.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful pictures worth a thousand words.
Speaker 2: And a clay sculpture's worth even more. Thank you, Vegan Paradise.
Speaker 3: Thank you Vegan Paradise. Great hot dogs?
Speaker 2: Did you have a hot dog?
Speaker 3: Not this time around?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 3: Wait? Can you actually remind me what their actual name is? It's best friends or something beesties, I do you actually want to shout them out? Because I've say that this airbnb before and it's one of the places that's like walking distance from it. And I do really like their hot dogs and they have a great selection of like fun snacks and treats and stuff that's good to know. And it really is run by like an authentic kind of like funky vegan guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that, and kind of Greek colors and a great color is interesting. It all comes back to you. We're gonna play a game called Gift You a Curse. I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 3: Seven. Okay.
Speaker 2: I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces right now. You can promote, recommend, do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay. I want to say I am the only person that has watched the film Amelia Perez twice, and it was kind of by chance. So the first time I watched it, I was in a hotel room in Toronto and it had just come out and I felt like I should I should be part of the conversation, and so I had sort of taken an edible by myself and watched it on my own and I was very taken aback by it. I did not particularly think it was a good film, but I was kind of glad that I saw it. And then the second time I saw it, I was it was my husband's birthday and we had a big lunch and then we're sort of like, you know, just like wanted to sit on a chair, go to a movie, whatever, and the only thing playing was Amelia Press. I was like, sure, I'll see it a second time. And now it's kind of all I can talk about. And I again would not necessarily endorse the film. I don't think it's a great movie, but I really wanted to be a larger part of like I want lines from it to be part of the conversation more so I can reference them. And it's it's like I keep cornering people and talking about it, and everyone keeps being like, oh, yeah, like she you know, her tweets and like, isn't that terrible. I'm like, yeah, no, I totally agree, Like I definitely don't support anything she has said, but like what about in the movie where she says bingal, Like why are we not talking about that? Because that's iconic. And also the first time I saw it. I thought Zoe Saldania was great, and I still do. The second time I saw it, I think I was prime because it was that the scandal to really pay attention to Carlosovia has gone performance And I'm sorry, like I definitely disagree with all her political views, but she's actually really phenomenal in the film.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have not seen it yet, and I would like for you to kind of just even briefly explain why, because it seems so universally hated. Yes, why anyone has voted for this? So is it just money that's driving this.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Netflix has a big you know, has a lot to do with that. However, it already won Best Actress that Can before it was even boppy.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So this is exactly the kind of a conversation I want to have with my friends and peers because I think it's fascinating that it's gotten this big response. Because you would think, oh, it's like old liberal boomers who want like a heartwarming tale of self actualization. But that's not what it is. She's a villain. It is about this woman who is a like a drug lord who like murders.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: And then she like, I mean, I don't want to ruin it. But she attempts to get her life in order, but her past comes back to haunt her, let's say, and she is a morally complicated character, Like she's not you know this like inspirational symbol of you know, an empowered woman or something like. And so I actually think in its own way, it's like sort of desp matter of fact that it's not a good movie. I'm sort of like, oh, how funny and almost good that it has gotten people's attention.
Speaker 2: Right, and the music is bad? Is any of it memorable? Because I have a defined have.
Speaker 3: You seen the clip of Penis to Vagina?
Speaker 2: I've seen a clip, and I'm not sure if this is it or not. I can't I remember someone sending a thing to me. I was like, what am I looking at or hearing?
Speaker 3: Zoe Saldana is basically hired. I realized I was supposed to promote my own work. That whatever, maybe when this comes out, this will bempletely irrelevant. So I apologize for talking about a minute press. Zoe's Aldania is hired to figure out a way for this woman to uh transition, okay, And as part of that, she goes to a clinic that specializes in gender affirming surgery, and she is in this number, she is in conversation with a doctor and they are talking about it in the most like ridiculous cartoonish way. So she goes the doctor's like men to woman or woman to man, and then Zoe's Holdania' is like man to woman, and then the doctor goes panis to have vagin.
Speaker 2: Like rocky horror.
Speaker 3: Literally. But here's what explains Sorry, I'm gonna stop talking in one second. What explains it is that it was actually initially an opera that they turned into a musical.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: And the thing with opera is that, like the songs are not like musical numbers, like they're not they wouldn't translate, like, they're not pop songs.
Speaker 2: They're people just singing words yes, without any like songs exactly yes.
Speaker 3: And it always sort of sounds off like when you see an opera, you're like, wait, so this is what opera is. This is what I've been hearing about all these.
Speaker 2: Years, just people almost yelling yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think that does explain. Again, I'm not endorsing anything about this film, but I do need everyone to see it so a week and finally have a conversation about it. That isn't like you know, that's true. In fact, I'm tired of the y. So anyway, that's what's going on with me. Listen to Stradio Lab.
Speaker 2: Listen to Radio That's Georgie's podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm recording a special on April first at the Slipper Room.
Speaker 2: Go see George recording a special.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, what do you think about me recording special on April Fool's Day. I'm being very joker revibed.
Speaker 2: It's a tough thing to get.
Speaker 3: It's not my intention.
Speaker 2: I think that's going to work against you in a lot. I definitely agree, unless you you can't embrace it, because then people start to wonder. You can't ignore. There's no winning with this.
Speaker 3: No, it's bad. It's bad.
Speaker 2: April Fools is We've got to move on from that. Holidays. I know it's no one has a good time. It ruins everything. It's just a waste of every twenty four hours of a day. The news cycle becomes very difficult to follow. You can't trust anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you have to trust me when I say that is when the recording gets happened.
Speaker 2: Actually, everyone goes see George.
Speaker 3: Okay, and that's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, this is how we play gift a curse. I'm going to name three things. You'll tell me if they're a gift or a curse and why, and I'll tell if you're right or wrong, because there are correct answers.
Speaker 3: Gift or curse.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay. Number one, This is from a listener who we have no idea who it was. This must have come from Instagram Live, so deal with it. Gift or a curse. When someone sneezes multiple times in a row. Curse why?
Speaker 3: I think, just on a literal level, it feels like they're being possessed, Like it's someone is like acting normally and suddenly they're just like making weird noises and movements and you know, and it feels like a devil is like either entering or exiting. I just can't imagine that being a gift. Wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, it's a gift. Oh This is why, because I feel like it really separates people from the people who have a problem with the sneeze and people who are seeking attention. I think one sneeze is a natural thing to do. Two sneezes is a natural thing to do. But that's where we stop. Once you go past two. You're an attention seeker. You're looking for the spotlight, and I know exactly who you are. You're just trying to make noise and get I'm not going to say bless you more than twice. I usually will say once and then do a polite laugh at two. Three. Now I'm getting annoyed.
Speaker 3: So then what's the gift about it?
Speaker 2: Because I know if somebody is doing three, this person is I didn't get enough attention from their parents' side.
Speaker 3: It's a gift for you because you can judge them more accurately.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can absolutely separate people from they had some dust in their nose and oh they don't need to do standing them. Okay, so wrong Number two. This is from a listener named Megan. Gift your a curse, saying tld R in a verbal conversation.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think curse and I really don't like.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Really is one of my big pet peeves when Internet language makes its way to the real world. And like I would and I see this with myself, like because I can't resist doing it, and I really think that it should be punished by the government. Like we show all we wearing little dog collars, and if you say honestly any cliche, you should be hurt a little bit. Obviously, cliches are part of life. But like I think, just a little punishment, just like when you eat something really unhealthy, like you get you know, you get diarrhea or something, so.
Speaker 2: You learn yeah, so your body becomes aware of yes.
Speaker 3: So that's how I feel. Correct, Oh, okay, curse.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was difficult for me to even say it, to present this information to you. That was a very I don't think I've ever actually heard the settle out. I mean I've heard other I turn out slang and this sort of thing settle out, and it's never not been unbelievably grating, and I've lost respect for whoever said it. I can't imagine any scenario where someone says those four letters in my face. For so many I just it is the most excruciating behavior and it's something we're going to just have to deal with for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, here's a question for you. What And I'm trying to think of my own answer to this. What currently would you say, is like the number one thing you hate hearing someone say, like in terms of cliches like that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a very good question.
Speaker 3: Oh I know, okay, I know what mine is.
Speaker 2: M let me think for a moment here. Did you tell me that maybe it'll spark some.
Speaker 3: I think mine currently and this can change? Is we love to see it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I really? It really bothers me. And what is it that I don't like about it? Like I as a tick I I often will say it is what it is, which I don't love about myself, but it just I can't unlearn it. And one time, like a close friend of mine was like one of my biggest pet peeve is when people say it is what it is? And I was like, the fuck? And so I get it if it's something like I think sometimes you just like these things go inside of you and you can't escape them. Yes, but there's just something that is so meaningless about we love to see it and and weirdly like like not quite sarcastic, but almost like cruel, and like it's like you just I just said something and then someone's like, oh, we love to see it. Oh, it's like are you making fun of me?
Speaker 2: Right, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think part of the problem with that particular phrase, and I think there was just like a whole category of those is they came from nowhere, whoever saying them. It has nothing to do with their actual personality or how they speak. It's like they read it on something or heard it on a podcast from someone who read it on something, and it's Yeah, I feel it does feel like a tick. It's just like a thing that they can't you can't control. And it's not even slang. I don't even know what category of useless language that is.
Speaker 3: But like internet language.
Speaker 2: I hate it so much, But it's the sort of I don't know where you stand on LOL, Like it was saying, oh, were you ever did you ever use it? Yeah? Of course, Okay, I've never used You've never used LOL maybe once in my entire life. I remember very early on being like, that looks stupid. I've totally yeah, And I'm what I'm really shocked by is when people who are like decades older than me will use an LOL, and I'm like, what's happened to society? But I just I could never naturally type LOL.
Speaker 3: Do you do lmao.
Speaker 2: Maybe I've probably done one of those, both of those ironically at some point. Yeah, but I just like I never go to those.
Speaker 3: I go to ha ha, which is the more respectful option, of course, And of course lol comes with the baggage of like sometimes you're basically like undermining your own It's like, I'm almost there, lol, Like you're just like undermining a statement you like have some self respect, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, you've gotten one right so far. And this is the final one. This is from a listener named Martin Gift or a curse Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 3: This is interesting. Obviously the obvious answer is curse. You know, it's like you you know, you can't rank or rate art. The only way that I think it could be a gift is Sam Taggert and I, my my beloved co host, we have this thing where we love sixty percent Rotten Tomatoes movies.
Speaker 2: I love to hear this, so we keep going.
Speaker 3: So this is like it's like a classic example is Darren Aronofski's mother or Vox Lucks is a great example. No one fact check how what their actual scores are, and so in a weird way because of how flawed and how much of a curse rotten Tomatoes is. There is this weird paradox, you know, counterintuitive corollaria where actually it does point you to interesting movies because those movies have is fifty to sixty percent un rotten tomatoes. Right, So, okay, I should give you a final answer. I will say, to be provocative gift.
Speaker 2: I mean, you are wrong. It is. It is a curse. But everything you're saying right now is essentially exactly how I think I when someone tells me it got one hundred percent on rotten tomatoes, there is no metric that is more meaningless. That means if it's something got a ninety to one hundred percent, that means it's boring almost ninety eight percent of the time. It means it's just a nothing thing that everybody gave a bee. Yes, and the secret is between fifty and I would say upper seventy. Sure, Sure that's a that's a movie that will be interesting and probably good. Yeah, or it's not going to be a completely dull time. But I cannot I can't see another thing on the internet that says you have to see this one hundred percent rotten tomatoes.
Speaker 3: I agree, we're on the same page, but I accept that I was wrong in my We're wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've only got one out of three.
Speaker 3: All right, well so not even the fifty percent mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not. Everyone can trust this rotten to me? Yes, damn all right, no one's going to see you poorly played. I'm sorry. This is the final. Oh honalis do you have yours? Onalise has a gift, he a curse that they're going to present to us, and we both have to answer, and they have their answer. Okay, this is the fairest we can get on this podcast.
Speaker 4: So today obviously we just passed me not today today, but this episode is coming out right after Saint Patrick's Day, so it's only appropriate that I say gift or curse Irish goodbyes.
Speaker 3: Oh oh okay, I'm just gonna go literal with this one, rather than try to be you know, controversial. I think gift. I think just lee like leave them wanting more, leave when you're ready. I don't the like performance of suddenly having to give seventeen hugs in a row. It doesn't do anything for anyone. I will say. I wish it was socially acceptable to just like go give one hug to one person that you were like especially happy to see it. But you can't do that.
Speaker 2: But I'll say gift and I'm going to say curse because I love them. So it's the only option I ever want to use. And I know that some people aren't okay with you just vanishing, and some people will comment and they're usually very irritating. But I for me, it's become almost a disease in my life where I never say goodbye to anybody at the party. I'm just taking off, And it's it's almost given me too much permission to leave a party, I see. But I do love it so much. On alease, it's a gift.
Speaker 4: They're a gift. I mean at the end of the day, Oh my god, I said the word I said. But at the end of the day, I can't say that.
Speaker 2: Ok, at the end of the day, at the end of the shohow.
Speaker 4: That's another one of those buzz phreezes.
Speaker 2: Classic. It is a classic.
Speaker 3: You're getting buzzed. Yeah, your collor is going off exactly.
Speaker 4: So the way that I see it is that if you don't say goodbye, if you do an Irish goodbye at a party, the real friends of yours will understand. They will forgive you, and the ones who wouldn't are the exact kind of person that it's appropriate to give an Irish goodbye too. So your your reasoning is absolutely justified for doing it in the first place.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, I totally understand that an at least you are wrong. George, you are wrong, I'm correct, But it seems like we all appreciate the Irish goodbye in some way, and that's what is important.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I would even say your answer was in favor of it, and then.
Speaker 2: We're all in favor of it. Okay, where are we in the We have to answer a listener question, and I just want to say to the listener, please start writing in about with questions other than things about what to give people. I'm so tired of giving gift advice. Ask me and the guest anything. I am ready to answer other questions. That said, let's answer a question I said, no gifts at gmail dot com. Okay, this says, let's see bah deer Bridger and guest. How do I deal with a mother in law who is a Debbie Downer. She knows how to turn any topic into a painful one. She i can't invite her to our little celebrations. Is there a way I can steer her away from saying something that will shit all over our get togethers? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you so much, Danny. So, basically, Downie has this mother in law who sucks, who's causing trouble at all of the parties and just making everybody feel bad all the time. Is there something that she can do to keep her from ruining every event that she's ever been invited to.
Speaker 3: No, you think someone's gonna change, people don't change fucking real. And also, I'll tell you what else, There is no elegant way to be shitting on your mother. By the way, I don't say this from experience because I love my mother in law, but my mom, my mom, and my grandmother on my father's side, I just have different personalities. They are perfectly cordial. But like anytime you get into the space of basically doing mother in law humor, even when you think you're coming out on top, you are the like. You seem like the mean one, the problem because you're mad at an older woman who has sacrificed so much and in fact, the reason you're married Yes to your husband, Greg, and I it's just one of those things that like, if you don't like your mother in law, you gotta suck it up, right right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I will say, the way I deal with somebody who is just a NonStop negative force, well, I feel like I fall into that category a lot of the time. But when I have somebody who will not stop, what I do is I lean into whatever they're complaining about and I go too far to the point that they have to be like ooh that's good, Oh this seems bad. Yeah, And then I mean I makes me seem insane or horrible, but at least we're like hopefully of course, correcting this person's behavior because they're like, oh, now I'm questioning my own opinions and what I'm doing because Bridger's going so far and so hard with this negative opinion.
Speaker 3: I mean, unless they call your bluff and they really just like get you lower and lower, and then you both are just like you're saying, yeah, I know, but it is obviously I get it. And and to your point, I've also been that person and I had to really like, I mean, it's still within me, but I had to unlearn or I had to learn that, Like, it's not inherently interesting to hate everything, right, which I used to genuinely think it was.
Speaker 2: Well, but I'm also going to say, there's a category of person that will say you just hate everything. You'll say something critical about something. I bet you've dealt with somebody like this where they say, well, you just like to hate everything. That category, that sort of person is very much you have too much time on your hands? How do you think of these things?
Speaker 3: That kind of thing, I mean talk about a cliche that thankfully is on its way out, is like, let people enjoy things.
Speaker 2: Oh, because that was a poisonous period of time. That is a bad, bad philosophy.
Speaker 3: What if I enjoy constructive critique?
Speaker 2: Yes, you can't give everything a free pass. Some things are bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And actually it's I think the thing is most people that that that let people enjoy things thing is yelled at don't deserve it. Like it's like most people are perfect like you and I, and we're just like very critical. But then when we do like something, we have a thoughtful we will express that and will be thoughtful about it, and and it'll be like there's evidence, yes, but then it is true just inevitably that there are some people who do hate everything right, but they make it worse for the rest of us that are just like really kind of smart and critical right, who.
Speaker 2: Have standards exactly Yeah, but just once when I criticize something, I'd like someone to say, you have standards, yes, rather than you hate everything.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I need more compliments, Danny, do whatever you want with the mother in law. Don't write back. In beautiful we answered the question. I have this gorgeous little thing that will be in my kitchen very soon, and I've had such a lovely time with you.
Speaker 3: To me too, this has been so lovely.
Speaker 2: Thank you for taking part of your trip out to come here in the rain. Listener, the podcast is over. I need you to just figure out something to do with your day. I have no suggestions whatsoever. I love you, goodbye. I said No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is on Alise Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Tolliday. The theme song is by miracle worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said No Gifts that's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts?
Speaker 1: But I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guess to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no guests, your own presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how do you
Speaker 2: Dare to surbey me?