Speaker 1: Star Trek The Pod Directive, the official Star Trek podcast, is back for season three. Journey with Lower Decks cast members Tawny Newsome, Very Funny and the wonderful Paul F. Tompkins through discussions about all things in the Star Trek universe. This season, go behind the scenes of hit shows with the guests from Deep Space nine and the Next Generation, and explore the impact of the franchise, including pick Good.
Speaker 2: Season three.
Speaker 1: Listen to Star Trek The Pod Directive every Tuesday, March seventh, wherever you get your podcast now be one Engage pod. Warning, this podcast canning spoilers for season three, episode three of The Mandalorian.
Speaker 2: Hello. My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosey Knight, and welcome to story Vision.
Speaker 1: The Crooked media podcast where we dive deep but to your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 3: In this episode, we are stepping out of the airlock and into an unexpectedly diverted episode of.
Speaker 2: The Mandalorians Dorian.
Speaker 3: One might say it was very Andorian season three episode of The Mandalorian, though there is very little Mandalorian and even less Baby Booo. But it's a good episode in that out listener, I has thoughts about The Mandalorian season three episode two from last.
Speaker 1: Week, and uh, as always, if you want to jump around, check the show notes for the time stance. We understand there have been some issues with the timestamps and their accuracy. We're working on it, but it's somewhat out of our hands.
Speaker 2: Just bear with us.
Speaker 1: Up next to the airlock, stepping out of the airlock and back onto the beautifully constructed surface of coruscon thriving the duel of the galaxy for season three, episode three of The Mandalorian on Disney Plus, Chapter nineteen, The Convert written by Noah Clurer and John Favreau, directed by Academy Award nominee Lee Isaac Chung. Folks, let's get into it, so we we open up right after we ended the previous episode by the living waters under the mines of Mandalor. Din wakes up beside Bokatan, who just saved his life. Grogu is very cutely standing over him, looking concerned, and Dinn's very very first thought, first thing on his lips, I am redeemed.
Speaker 2: He's just it.
Speaker 3: He's like he's ready, I know it's happened.
Speaker 2: Boagrees, and she's like, yeah, you did it. You you bathe in the living waters.
Speaker 1: And it's very clear that Dinn passed out before the mythica, and so Bo is just ready to get out of there because she's really processing what she saw. She says, can we leave? Din wisely takes a vial of the water. Is proof?
Speaker 2: Wisely? I say yeah, especially as we just wouldn't have gone. So he really like he made it.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're going to go get the proof. Also, this will be a retiring question in this episode, but Bogatan, why keeping that mythoso safe? Why keeping a secret?
Speaker 2: I want to know?
Speaker 1: It's very very interesting to me. More on that in a bit. Uh Bo then quizzes Din a little further, you know, like did you see anything at all? Are you sure you didn't see anything before you you know, like before you passed out. He's like, no, not at all, and then uh he says, well, I did see like a chasm of some kind.
Speaker 2: It was so deep, It was so deep down.
Speaker 1: And she says, well, maybe the Imperial bombs, you know, during the purge must have opened a fissure or something like that. Anything anything alive or anything. Nope, Okay, They head back to Kalavalah to get Mando's ship in thanks bow. They both give you know, the their cursory this is the ways, and just then Grogu says something in a very kind of cute all as always, but serious tone as well. And then right then the ship comes under attack from Thai interceptors, the kind of upgraded.
Speaker 2: Gun tie fighters.
Speaker 3: I'm really at this stage in the timeline, we know that those are probably connected to mof Gideon or his little cult. This is not like a normal empire attack.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of mention of imperial warlords, these kind of like remnants of the Empire that splintered off to kind of like do their own thing. And the idea is, you know, I think, uh, you know, the at least the idea that they Bo and Dinner probably dealing with is maybe this is something like that or mof Gideon. Mando gets on the guns, Boh stays on the stick. Really cool sequence where Bo brings the ship screaming over her castle and Mando drops out of a door of the ship using his jets so you can get in the end one.
Speaker 2: It's super cool.
Speaker 1: Grogho, you know, flipping the cover of this little pod closed, and then we get a really great dog fight. Great for everyone except for our five and the Ties themselves. Our five is like not ready for this level of stress.
Speaker 2: He is an anxious boy.
Speaker 1: We get a trademark Star Wars Canyon Run. Is it even a Star Wars dog.
Speaker 2: F there's no canyone, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I feel like the guys at ILM who are really showing their skills him. Yeah, this is another episode where I'm like, I feel like the way they're diverting money to the MCU and to Star Wars is not making sense.
Speaker 2: But I'm happy with how good the Mandalorian looks. It also might.
Speaker 3: Because ILM is like probably doing a lot of this work in house or at least designing it, that this shit looked so good.
Speaker 2: It looks if you watched it.
Speaker 3: On an Imax you would be like, this is fucking unbelievable, Like it is trademark really Star Wars action.
Speaker 2: It doesn't look two CG. Yeah, any top of quality it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's this is epic and I'm I love I imagine that there's like a little board ILM and they're like Canyon Run, Like if there's a film that has to be a canyon run, like.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would not shock me.
Speaker 1: I'm sure somebody with more technical skills could do this, but I'm sure they have templates for like seven different canyon runs sitting in your computer animation files. So they just go put another canyon run, put another put just reskin it differently and then put it in anyway, it looked great. They fall into a really easy chemistry Bow and Mando. Bow leads the ties while Mando comes up behind them to pick them off one by one. Then finally to take out the last one, Bo pulls it, hits the brakes, pulls a one to eighty, takes out the last tie fighter as our five completely just blacks out from stress.
Speaker 3: Mad for him, it's like, though, you know those videos of people who go on those catapults at carnivals, Yeah, they just and they just pass out.
Speaker 2: That's off five. In this moment, He's like, nah.
Speaker 1: Certainly he would not have wanted to see the next thing, which is Bo's castle, get completely wiped out by a further squadron of ties. Bo is At first, I was like, Bo's gonna be mad about like the people that live and work in her house. But she's I think she was really just more mad about the house.
Speaker 2: She's mad about the house.
Speaker 3: And like the funny thing is like in her like, let's put it in in the Edcomma's defense, like we've only seen droids in that I would be sad about the droids. Bo, you should be sad, but like we haven't seen it flog. But she just cause she's like, that was my castle. Do you know how it is to come across a castle in the galaxy when all your people have left you and you had apostate But I had a castle.
Speaker 2: It's gone. And this is like, okay, this is.
Speaker 1: A big barrage, Like this is I mean, they this meant a lot of bombs blowing out.
Speaker 3: This is the first hint and I think the biggest direct kind of connection to what this episode is really about, which is what we're going to skip to in a minute, because like, as they point out, they say, like that's a lot of ships for an imperial warlord, and you got to think, like who has that many ships and who would waste that many bombs on this?
Speaker 1: And it certainly seems like something beyond Mofkeineon's pay grade.
Speaker 2: Bo is furious.
Speaker 1: She wants to take out the ties and bombed her house. But you know, there's a whole hornets worth of ties coming at them, and so Mando sends both some cordinates and they jump hyperspace to go somewhere. We go to Danda Da Da Coruscant. We see our good friend and mortal enemy. And mortal enemy I use that, I use that phrase, you know, Catholic. Yeah, our friend Doctor Pershing, former Imperial collaborator, former will put in air quotes, is speaking before a large audience at the Opera House from the Revenge of the sith Uh. He is free and able to give these public talks that are very very well attended thanks to the amnesty program that the New Republic runs, which allows those who cooperated with the Empire and its remnants to join New Republic society. Doctor Pershing says, there were many of us who had no choice, none, I say, in working for the Empire. But now the New Republic has given us a second chance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just say, just in case you don't immediately recognize him, you lost saw him.
Speaker 2: He was doing days German.
Speaker 3: They the baby at the behest of Werner Herzog. So this is not like this is not like a stormtrooper who was like kidnapped or drafted in or something. This is a scientist who is using his science to test on the world's cutest baby, the galaxy's cutest baby.
Speaker 2: But you know he wants a second chance.
Speaker 3: This is very interesting to learn about this amnesty, and I think this episode has some quite interesting I really like that me too. I also think this episode has some interesting parallels with our other Pagro show that we just said goodbye to the Last of Us when it looks at like the way that people take over and change from like fascistic regimes. There's lots of interesting and all kind of comparisons in this.
Speaker 1: This is an episode that is a lot about bureaucracy.
Speaker 2: Everyone's favorite Star Wars topic.
Speaker 3: Definitely George Lucas's favorite Star Wars topic.
Speaker 2: It's feeling very prequels.
Speaker 1: Baby Pershing admits that his former research was cruel or at least was employed for cruel means in cruel ways, and he lays all the responsibility for that quote. Someone intent on using cloning technology to secure more power for himself, probably talking about maf Gideon, but who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also, let's remember the last time in the Star Wars canon that we saw somebody return via a cloning technique.
Speaker 1: Let's more on that in a bit. Let's let's put a pin on that for now. But I think a good.
Speaker 2: Thing to be thinking about. Doctor Pershing then continues it.
Speaker 1: You know, he hopes that he'd be able to use his skills as a genetic scientist to help the New Republic, and he talks about in a very Elizabeth Holmes moment. He talks about the loss of his mother and how her organ cloning. You know, if only I could have cloned a new heart for her.
Speaker 2: Could have saved her life.
Speaker 1: Pershing's work, which is, you know, built on the foundation laid by the camino In researchers, who of course produced and delivered the cloned Soldiers prequel Siren Gards.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is all about splicing the DNA dunt dunt dum of numerous individuals together to create a single, stronger genetic sequence in one individual.
Speaker 2: Sound familiar, sound familiar.
Speaker 1: We'll go into that in more detail quite soon after the speech. Pershing hop knobs with some of the New Republic elites. They're feeding him they think it's wonderful what he's talking about. However, these are like the most cynical politicians imaginable. They were politicians under the public, under the Empire, and now under the new Republic, to the point where one of these uh, these elites can't even remember like event one, which which one was? Which his wife has to be like, no, no, no, honey, that was the Republic.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, who can even who can even do?
Speaker 3: They will live in life, they will live in the high life. No, ma, who was in charge? That's right, and that's still living now.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 1: And they see in Pershing something of a reflection of maybe a lesser evolved version of themselves, survivors who just want to do what they do and don't really care who's paying the bills as long as they keep getting to do it, whether it's acquiring wealth or getting to, you know, attend fancy talks at the opera house, or, in the case of Pershing, performing grotesque genetic experiment on very very cute babies. How Da, Pershing lives at Amnesty House, which is kind of halfway house. He arrives home late that night and he he gets to meet some of the fellow former Imperials who also live there. Everyone has to wear like a kind of like dumbed down version of their old uniform, same kind of cut, with these special red pins that identify them as ex imperials. They invite him Pershing for a drink, and Pershing recognizes one of them, G sixty eight from mof gideon Ship.
Speaker 2: They used to work together. The mention of Gideon kind of changes the mood.
Speaker 1: We learned that he was on trial for war crimes, for crimes against the galaxy, but as either escaped or that's a cover story for him dying while being mind flawed.
Speaker 2: No one really knows.
Speaker 1: G sixty eight then makes all the right you know, makes all the right kind of notions about integrating with the New Republic and how important that is to her, But she does it in a very kind of robotic way that makes you think, like, does she really want to integrate with the rule?
Speaker 2: Yeah? K, And then they then toast to the new Republic.
Speaker 3: Kat E O'Brien is so great in this role she played with Kerrella in Aman and the Wasp Quantumnia. She's so good is she's so menacing. I just want to say something. I'm not trying to get back on a Arlene's style hype against the New Republic.
Speaker 2: But I will say.
Speaker 3: If you want to instill loyalty and give people a feeling of some kind of redemption or a part of being able to be part of society, probably like let them use their names and don't give them Stormtrooper esque like numerical kind of I think that that.
Speaker 2: I understand. This is early day, So the point is this is all.
Speaker 3: Bureaucratic, right, and everyone's trying stuff out, So this is like you've got so many people.
Speaker 2: They even make a point.
Speaker 3: About that, But like G sixty eight, I'm like, you could just be like you're not part of the Empire. Now now you get a name, Like now you can what's your name? I feel like there's many interesting This is a This is very Andorian because there's a lot of stuff in this that is about the Republic trying its best but still making some of the same mistakes as the Empire, and I think they're much smaller mistakes. But I found this to be a very interesting one, especially the arc that the characters go on this episode.
Speaker 1: I'm going to stick up for the New Republic here. I do agree that this is it's dehumanizing, and it's unnecessarily so. But even but as the imperials themselves note, if this had been in the empire in charge, all the ex republic soldiers would have just been fallen into a Sarlac pitt and you know, executed en mass in their millions and billions.
Speaker 2: Probably it's a very good point.
Speaker 1: So so this is actually like not a you know, like, okay, it's a miss here with the with the numerical names, but they are working to integrate them into new Republic society, and you have to you have to hand it to them.
Speaker 3: You absolutely have to hand it to them, where you do not absolutely have to hand it to money. I will not hand it to the Republican Republic, but I will let you hand it to them. But also I will say this scene is so good ten out of ten. All these actors. They bring such an interesting like depth. It's very quiet, it's very Andorian, it's very much in this kind of morally gray area of there are you can see like.
Speaker 2: And G sixty eight as we will call her.
Speaker 3: They were quite high up. But it seems from the others that you might have some like stormtroopers here some grunts, some people who really probably didn't want to be in that situation, and there's this kind of like real grounded honesty to this scene.
Speaker 2: I was just really, this was when the switch.
Speaker 3: Between what we usually expect from the Mandalorianto. This, this, this kind of seemed really sold it to me. X Ray Vision will be back, and we're back.
Speaker 1: They all start reminiscing about stuff they missed from the Empire, and they're careful to be like not the not the destroying planets.
Speaker 2: Don't say like yeah yeah, don't yeah yeah, like the Gray Socks, the Gray Special, the hot water Pressure was really really good on the store.
Speaker 3: It's like it's really I actually thought that was a really great moment as well to highlight this like weird, complex situation that the New Republics got themselves into. Because immediately Pashon's like, well, you know, I just loved and they're like no, no, no, don't say.
Speaker 2: Anything about it. No no, no, you're talking about like you loved having the science to test on a baby. Like now they're like, yeah, they'll.
Speaker 3: Talk if they're like, we don't want to erase your experience, but also like don't talk about genocide. Just be like, yeah, yeah, the mundane day to day things you know that you missed living under the Empire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Empire had a box at the pod races and exactly like you get to go.
Speaker 3: Like sitting and looking out at the galaxy in the messo, like those are the kind of things they're looking for. And hilariously, I guess it turns out they weren't actually many good things about the Empire, just one and they.
Speaker 1: All agreed and pushing brings it up. It's the biscuits, the travel biscuits in your little mual ration kit apparently quite good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of them's like I don't want it. I don't want it, but the other ones, like these were banging.
Speaker 1: They mostly agreed later that night. Pershing is like reading up on the culture and society of Coursan, just trying to get acclimated, you know, the big city. She spent so much time kind of ensconced on a ship that in a lot of a lot of ways is like a small city that flies through the space, you know.
Speaker 2: But like now he's on.
Speaker 1: This huge, vast planet size city and he's feeling out of place, and he's reading about it when there's a ring of his doorbell and he goes outside and he finds the travel biscuits laying there. We get to see a little bit of Pershing's work life. He works doing data entry in the archives, and we later learned that what he's doing is cataloging imperial hardware that has been captured, decommissioned weapons ships, all the things that are on the ships, and he's cataloging them and so they can eventually be destroyed.
Speaker 3: I just want to jump in ahead. New Republic Syney, she's back at it. I don't like the Empire, just need to specify that and not supporting the Empire. Glad the Empire has gone. But I found one thing. Don't get rid of all that stuff. That's stupid. You don't have anything. Keep that stuff, repurpose it. That would be better on a less logical point, but a more of like a thing that I thought was really powerful about this episode. I kind of like how Pershing's job and the tone of it and the vibe of his life. It feels very similar to Cyril Khns Like it seems like the New Republic some of the stuff that they could take on from the Empire, the kind of data entry and the day to day mundanity of the lower level people is just still there and the same. And that's not necessarily a judgment on them. It's just something I found really interesting and I thought was smart because it's true for a lot of people, your life on the lowest level of society probably wouldn't like materially change immediately. And I thought it was really interesting that he had this kind of mind numbingly boring job where he mostly just interacted with droids.
Speaker 2: It really reminded me of Cyril early on.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good car. I will once again lightly stick up for you this time in that when we eventually go to the shipyard, a lot of the stuff is torn out of it, so stuff has been scavenged out of it. But now I will criticize the Republican say, I mean, this guy's got to have supervision.
Speaker 2: You can't let this. He shouldn't be the one doing this job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like ex Empire people cannot be the people who are like, you know, like writing the catalog of history here without anybody looking over his shoulder.
Speaker 3: I just like, also, you know, specifically this man, like I feel like there's probably a lot of people in the empire who were doing like different kinds of jobs. Who that is kind of a punishment in itself because very mundane and it's in the office. This man guess what he needs to do his work, very specific imperial technology. Guess what you are giving him access to it all times, the knowledge of a very specific imperial technology.
Speaker 1: I mean this guy should be this guy should be like sweeping the streets of course on like I'm not even both.
Speaker 2: Like be happier. He's very criminal and he's very like conflicted in his kind of space.
Speaker 3: I think the best thing to do is take him out of anywhere where he could be thinking about doing tests on babies for dodgy Nazi science.
Speaker 2: Like no, just like let him creep a street. He can't help it.
Speaker 1: He keeps saying stuff like, well, you know and under the right circumstances that this kind of research could be good. It's like yeah, I mean, like you can throw a child like out of an airplane and see what happens and you could probably get some good data from Also, would you want to do a.
Speaker 3: Great This is really great writing on this episode because he, as we will see as the episode goes on, that mindset that he has ends up becoming like his undoing and this really brute a way, and I love again that comparison of like, no, actually, sometimes there isn't something good that can come out of a bad thing. It's always bad, no matter who uses it, it's always bad.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the ends and the means are both so terrible that there's no reason, you know, the means can be so terrible that whatever ends you end up at are not worth it. Pershing later on has some ice cream cones with G sixty eight to explore corauson.
Speaker 2: Lovely delightful blowing ice cream cones.
Speaker 1: She has been on planet before during her academy days. She's like, we thought we were doing good. Pershing agrees. He also was like, yeah, I thought when I was experimenting on that baby, that cute little baby with those cute little eyes, I thought I was doing the right thing.
Speaker 3: And every yeah, It's like it's like, and everyone who was coming and all these different people trying to stop me, who seemed like they were on the other side of history, they were definitely in the wrong. I was, I was doing the right thing, and I definitely wasn't testing this baby's midichlorians to see if they could somehow use to give someone else medichlorians.
Speaker 2: This was all good, It was all good.
Speaker 1: So gee when we were like blowing up whole planets, that was yeah. Anyway, Pershing is like, you know, we were close to some really really cool breakthroughs when they shut us down. And he says, again, in the right hands, our discoveries could have helped a lot of people. And she's like, well, why don't you keep doing it, you know, just like as a hobby, just like at home.
Speaker 3: She's like, you went to the Republic New Republic, Now you can do that, right, There's no reason you.
Speaker 1: Could just give it up in your yeah, up in your apartment and just like run some tests on them, Like what would you need to make that happen? And Pershing's like, well, like, unfortunately, the New Republic considers it horrifying to.
Speaker 2: Experiment on children. Like unfortunately he.
Speaker 3: Also like New Republic kind of like very aligned with the Jedi and that whole like fass things probably not gonna go well to.
Speaker 2: Be tested on medichlorian babies.
Speaker 1: And she is like, well, you know, you were just falling orders and and it's just following orders, even if it's coming from the New Republic, just kind of like how we become the Empire, wasn't that isn't that kind of the same thing. He's like, that makes a lot of sense, and she says, you know, sometimes you just got to trust your gut, and if your gut's telling you experiment on babies, you.
Speaker 2: Gotta do it.
Speaker 3: I have to say, he is to having the most unhinged conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. I just have to say.
Speaker 3: The performances by wonderful Kat O'Brien and then uh Ahmed Abdi who plays uh dr pershing, Like I cannot tell you how well they cast this chemistry, Like I willson, you believe that she can convince him, and you believe that he is like morally weak enough to kind of believe that he would be doing the right thing when really, you know, he just wants to keep doing it.
Speaker 2: But there's just he just wants to keep experimenting. Baby. Yeah, it's so believable and like so bleak. Moreover, I think that this is actually a really.
Speaker 1: Important concept and it's one that I think about all the time, which is how very often people's political and philosophical beliefs are backfilled to support the thing that they want to do. Yeah, doctor Pershing is like, I'm a good person. Yes I want to experiment on babies. But when I was doing that before, I was forced to and now that I want to do it again, I want to do it because something good can happen that wasn't allowed to happen last time. And and he's created this and is in the process of creating this entire like ideology around I just want to do horrible genetic experiments. How can I continue to do it? Oh, here's this political philosophy that says, if you want to do good, then you are doing good. That allows me to do it. And that's really I think that a lot of people fall under this, where they create their politics around what they really.
Speaker 2: Were offending that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also I think as well as something really interesting in the notion of like this is the only thing he knows how to do, and rather than actually like putting in the work to become valuable in another way to the empire, he's clearly incredibly intelligent. He has some kind instead of being like, oh, the New Republic, like what do you need from me? Like how can I help you? And they'll be like you can walk up to that, but here's some ideas. He's just like, bet they don't know it, but what they really need is someone who does genetic testing on babies, fifty three year old babies.
Speaker 1: And after she says sometimes you have to trust your gut, g makes it very very clear that she is part of some sort of group of ex imperials who want to continue doing imperial stuff, but this time for the good. And it's very, i think, very notable with all the connections that we have mentioned to the latest trilogies that while they're at this you know outdoor you know, walking park, you hear in kind of like Carnival form, the John Williams masterpiece. I think, I agree, Force Awakens March of the Resistance, you know when podamer In and the rest come screaming over the water bomb bomb but bomb, so a lot of a lot of very conscious ties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like this is I think one of the most interesting things about this episode is it, as we will talk about more, it really feels like Favreau and Felony are doing what they do best and coming in to kind of fill in these gaps in Star Wars law, but they're also doing the things that they love, which is referencing the prequels and trying to build this kind of holistic world with the prequels and now as we're seeing the sequel trilogy. So it's very interesting. I love that March of the Resistance catch too, like what a great song.
Speaker 1: Well, I think, you know, as we were talking about off Mic, I think this is very very much in the Felony wheelhouse, which is you build out the context around something from Star Wars, and if you do it in a compelling enough way, as he did with Clone Wars, it lifts up.
Speaker 2: The original story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, with Clone Wars, obviously it was the prequels, and in this case, perhaps I think we would both argue this is an attempt to lift up the latest, the most recent.
Speaker 3: Trilogy, and specifically I would say like Rise of Skywalker, like the Final Entry, kind.
Speaker 2: Of this Skywalker building.
Speaker 3: This context around as we will get to how this genetic testing may or may have not been involved in the iconic moment where Oscar Isaac delivered the line. Somehow Palpatine has returned, Yes, and.
Speaker 2: I think I think that's where this is. And I think the coolest thing is like that is such a maligned moment. Oh forever.
Speaker 3: I obviously we love Oscar Isaac in this pod, in this house, in this like community, but like I will forever love him for being are in character in that moment. He didn't want to deliver that line the way he put it across. And if you can turn something like that where even the actor was disappointed with the route, the film went into a nuanced, interesting look at the conversations. We're talking about science, the ethics of genetic testing. This is obviously alluding to and built on, like the fact that a lot of contemporary science that we have now is based on Nazi science. You know, like this is like a real world analogous thing that Stars does so well, and they're bringing that in to potentially as we are guessing, and I think we are right, especially by the time we get to the end of the episode, to bring gravitas and context to what was essentially a throwaway line to do like fan service, and I just think that is like really really cool, And like you say, that is the power of what Feloni does and has done. That is the reason that the prequels are so beloved. Now, that is the reason why Hayden got to come back.
Speaker 2: He is a huge, huge part of it.
Speaker 3: Obviously, it's the fans and the people who love this stuff, but Clone Wars gave people who loved Anakin and wanted to see more of him, who had grown up on those movies and felt like they were really special to them and there was something there even if they didn't see it come to life the way they did. And it gave people who didn't like them something.
Speaker 2: To glob onto.
Speaker 3: And then revisit the prequels and say, oh, well, this matters to me now because I know what was going on in between.
Speaker 2: So I just I think it's really cool.
Speaker 3: And I have to say, when The Mandalorian first came out, I definitely thought as soon as they mentioned the babies Midichlorians that this was where we were going to go.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't really hear me like we got here till today.
Speaker 3: So if this episode feels different to that fun, creature heavy adventure that we've all been loving, this is why this is actually important. This is not an unnecessary diversion. This is probably the major thesis of The Mandalorian as an arc.
Speaker 1: I completely agree Pushing attends hit a regular debrief with a therapy droid, who is there essentially to make sure that his integration is going smoothly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like therapy droid slash like spy like does he really? He just wants to know, like, are you gonna be an imperial?
Speaker 2: Like hello?
Speaker 1: Although it's like the honor system like there, he's not looked up to machines. The droid is not oh no, ptenuated too, is not attenuated at all to like pick up any stress in his voice or anything like whatever he tells this droid, the droid is just like okay, yeah, walks away. So you know, he's asked Aryus questions about how his integration is going, does he have any uh, does he have any resentments towards the New Republic? And at the end of this, he says, hey, quick question, what would happen if I was to, you know, just like as a hobby while I'm driving, you know, yeah, private sy just like a person start pursuing my genetic research on babies one more time, you know.
Speaker 2: Just by myself. Also likely be one baby, Like does any really one that could happen? So I'm gonna have to hunt down a baby kid and then do it. How would that go?
Speaker 1: And the Joid is like that's a hard No. Cloning is illegal under the Corosonic Chords, and you know that is the treaty which ended the civil war and brought peace to the galaxy, which I am a little shocked that Pershing didn't realize, didn't realize.
Speaker 3: I know, it's it's really you can really see how like brainwashed or like in the in the Empire.
Speaker 2: Was because he's like cloning just like fully illegal. Huh.
Speaker 1: Like I'm like, fully, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, you know how in every Star Wars movie, whether it's we saw it with our five last episode, like you know, you can just always download what is on a droid and like give that information to someone else. I'm like, why are you even asking a New Republic droid about cloning if you're trying to do it, Like this is a bad idea, You're basically snitching on yourself. But I love he was just like he really didn't know, like he really thought it might just be okay by that token.
Speaker 1: Also, it it does show that on some level, Pershing, I think it feels like he's really making an honest effort of integrating to New Republics.
Speaker 2: I think he feels like you know what I'm really trying. He doesn't. But now they're wrong about this, and so I have to go my own. Well, so let's be real.
Speaker 3: He is being like fully manipulated by G sixty eight, like she is like.
Speaker 2: I think he wanted to do it, but I do think.
Speaker 3: She is like I think he's kind of like a weak enough person that if she hadn't been that, he probably would have just kept doing his imperial jobs.
Speaker 1: And actually I don't I don't actually fully disagree. We'll get back to that more in a second. So later, after you know, this therapy session, Pershing is like, Okay, the New Republic are fucked. What the hell he finds He's like yeah, He's like, you know what, I want to go back to work. We're going to do it again. And you know what, when the New Republic sees the value of my work, I think they'll come around. And she's like, I love it. You need what do you need to start splicing baby jeans? He says that, uh, and she's like, wait, I can get.
Speaker 2: You you know, whatever you need.
Speaker 1: It would just mean just so you know, it means sneaking out of amnes seahouse and breaking some other rules. Person's like, well, I don't want to go back to the integration Institute, which was is clearly some other like if this is a halfway house, would be like a quarterhouse that's like one step away from being jail. And so he's like, no, I'm not gonna I'm not.
Speaker 2: Gonna see that. Okay.
Speaker 3: To me is the moment where I feel like this is not necessarily a moral strength in him that wouldn't have made him do this. I just think he's easily led. So I think if she wasn't bring him these options, he probably would have not done this till somebody else did it.
Speaker 2: But he's not gonna say no.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have like the moral core to understand what he's doing is wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily disagree. At the same time, there is something fucked up in this guy, you know what I mean. And at the very least he should not be doing the job that he's doing and be given as much free rein as he's given. But I agree with you that she is pulling him in for sure. The next day at work, Pershing sees that he's being ordered to destroy a bunch of Imperial files, which contain technical documents, other perhaps valuable information. He's like, hey, can I access these to find if there's anything useful here? And that's a no from his boss. He says, listen, we're really busy actually, like his bosses like we're really busy, Like just do as your really the real yeah, when really the real answer is, hey, former imperial guy, we're not going to have you like accessing imperial technology is so want it?
Speaker 2: You shut the fuck up and like go to jail.
Speaker 3: His boss is like very kind and like definitely wants to be his frid grade.
Speaker 2: Like his boss is like trying to check in on him.
Speaker 3: Also, this is the other thing is like this man, I do not know where he got such goal because.
Speaker 2: When we saw him with was always telling him no, no, no, do your job go back in there. No no.
Speaker 3: He never at any point like had someone who he could tell what to do.
Speaker 2: Like so I'm just like, was he just always like this?
Speaker 1: Like you don't understand. And I think it's hard if you've never had a passion for experimenting with babies.
Speaker 2: I've had to really understand how it.
Speaker 1: Drives you and how it becomes an if you have watched taken the blood without consent, of a baby full of medicoreans.
Speaker 2: You just can't.
Speaker 1: Splice it, you know, with the other DNA. Like the rush of it is just amazing. So after this, uh, this like running with his boss. In a very very subtle metaphor, he then takes a big bite out of the Imperial biscuits.
Speaker 3: He's feeling nostalgia, and they're gonna become taste of Empire. They're gonna become a very subtle theme throughout the episode. He had earlier someone mysteriously a d them off outside of his room, and it's obviously g but now he's like snacking, He's feeling nostalgic. He's thinking, Oh, I wish I was back working for the Empire, or I could just experiment on a baby all the time while eating some delicious biscuits.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, he doesn't have questions about how G got those biscuits, because I'm saying.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Well he doesn't fully know it's her, even though I'm sure he's yeah, like because really, who would have access to imperial biscuits other than an imperial Just say, just another person, another person with a sweet two At his therapy session, his next one, he then lies that he doesn't feel any anger resentment towards any Republican and it's very obvious that he's the same, but the droid doesn't catch it. And then he goes straight to jess apartments like let's go, let's fucking do this.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and there's like Jesse, I just want to say, there's a moment I love here because this shows again like about his like his the way he's just constantly convincing himself. He's not doing it because he wants to do it. He's doing it because it's good for the New Republic, because he says to afterwards, he's like, is role as New Republic like people in the New Republic?
Speaker 2: Is it to do what is best for the New Republic no matter what.
Speaker 3: And the Droid's like yeah, broh, and he's like, okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Test a baby and he just like, hey, I'm like no, my therapy droid said, gave me the okay, just told.
Speaker 3: You, like you can't do this. But he's like he's like in his head he's created he's turning it into a moral crusade when as we can see, it's more of like an addiction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like also it's illegal, Bruther anyway, Yeah, x ray Vision will be back and we're back, Gee and Pushing sneak out of Amnesty Housing. They go down by train to the disposed yards where much of the equipment and files he's been cataloging are held in these decommissioned Imperial ships and G's like computer ships have mobile labs, right. Pushing is like, I don't really, I don't want to do this, but really he does.
Speaker 2: You can tell he really really? I guess what Bro, you could have told around at any point? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: He learns now, absolutely definitively that it was G who got the case of biscuits and this is how she did it by sneaking into the yards. They have to jump between train cars and in order to avoid the Detroit conductors. Pushing is like getting a real rush out of this week with this little mini heist feeling. They're skulking through the decommissioned Imperial craft and looking for lab stuff.
Speaker 2: G setting the hook.
Speaker 1: For doctor Pershing like even deeper now is like, you know what, I'm sorry, I never introduced myself to you.
Speaker 2: Back on off Guinning, isn't that crazy?
Speaker 1: Like think me just walked by each other all the time, Like, isn't it like you're in the bathroom, I'm in the cafeteria next door, and then we never talked to Now we're bringing into ships together. I'm Elijah Kane, communication officer, and he's like doctor Penn Pershing scientist. And it feels here experiment on babies.
Speaker 3: I experiment on babies, and it feels yeah, she was the communication officer for fascists.
Speaker 2: But like it does to the.
Speaker 3: To the like success and skill of the showmakers and the creatives behind it, Like it feels like a huge moment because not only were they nameless underneath the Empire, but they're now nameless under the new Republican. Here is a moment where they can kind of like being coots, even if it's to get stuff to experiment on babies. And this idea of sharing the name and the power of a name, it's a really great way for her to get the hook. That's it, because it feels big, it feels like a trust moment. Also, kind of talking about this, it makes me think how much a liar is kind of like one that's a classic Star Wars name. She's lying to her name's a liar. I love that that's just like the best, silliest, poppiest thing, But also like, I love how much she's almost like a cool kid at school, because like, at no point should has he been given any reason to trust her. He just met her, she was on off Gideon ship. He's not considering for a moment that this might be someone who betrays you.
Speaker 2: She bit at every point, she's like she's given him a little bit. She's nice to him. She's like when he doesn't want to go, she's like, nah, nah, it'll be cool, I promise.
Speaker 3: Is this very interesting kind of weird delayed like adolescence that they never got to have being in the Empire.
Speaker 2: But Pershing is just he's he's ridiculous. See he's not good. He's not good at this.
Speaker 1: He's not absolutely falling for it. They eventually find the stuff lab stuff. Pershing is absolutely stoked. He's reminiscing now but the first time he walked into it like a really high tech professional lab to experiment on, you know, babies, and what a rush it was, and how he always wanted to be a scientist. And Elia, for her part, has never got to think about what she wanted to be, which is like an interesting comment that she makes and that suddenly very weight there's noise, Yeah, very weighted. Suddenly there's noise and they see flashlights bobbing, and Doc and G run for it. They're immediately arrested outside the ship. The cops know exactly who Pershing is and what he's here for. It was a setup, and we realized that G sold them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is a great twist because to me, the way it was going, I felt like she was going to sell him out to the Empire and some kind of like Empire group, not for any real reason, just because she would be like, well, now we've got this stuff. But I love that when they turn up it's New Republic and she's obviously rising up these ranks quickly.
Speaker 2: I will say, put a pin in that, because I do. I think she's playing the lot of.
Speaker 3: She is she is, But this moment, this little reveal, yeah, she sells him out to the New Republic, felt like a great twist on what I expected. But then yeah, by the time we get to end of the episode, her aims are clear, and it's really great because she is playing the New Republic like a fucking fiddle.
Speaker 1: Now here's where I will say, good idea new Republic. I don't feel bad at all like it was pershing and trapped. On a certain level, Yes, absolutely should the new Republic, who are showing incredible generosity in large just in allowing these nex Nazi imperials to reintegrate with society and a high level given jobs, et cetera, shouldn't they have some sort of security measures just to make sure nobody's out here like trying to do empire stuff. Not to mention, we should say, the Empire well known for using mind programming techniques, very serious mind programming techniques. And so if you're gonna be generous to these people and not just like line them up against the wall as the Empire would have done, you do have to put in measures to make sure that programming is broken, that the imperial mindset is not there. And even when there wasn't this kind of like you know, heavy heavy mind preparation as there were for the start, for the stormtroopers and others, there was you know, an unbelievable level of propaganda. You know, they lived inside their own imperial like communications bubble, like so piercing that I think is important. And so while I definitely would quibble with the morality of some of the stuff that you know Ellie is doing here and trapping doctor Penn. I think overall it's a good idea which make sure the Imperials are not up to neferial even.
Speaker 3: If it's not like imperial shit. It's like, bro, you just joined, like, just just don't be breaking these rules of going and sneaking on too imperial ships. It looks she looks shifty as fuck. I will say as well, Elijah using a true time worn informant technique here of snitching on other people and setting them up to be informants when you are the informant. It's a really common real life technique that has it happened in real life.
Speaker 2: And I thought that was a really interesting space that she's in.
Speaker 3: Also, this maybe seems like this is her job within the Empire or within the New Republic like she did.
Speaker 2: The New Recruits.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I thought this was really interesting. It was not what I was expecting. I agree with you, there should be. I'm kind of way that that checking in on these.
Speaker 2: X Nazis who are now living within that one though, I will say what happens next. I again, I'm not a fan of what the New Republic choose to do. I'm not a fan.
Speaker 1: I'm not a fan of what happens nowt So what happens next is they hook pushing up to a mind flare.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a mistake.
Speaker 1: But hold on, hold on before you say anything, the Monclomari technician says to Pershing, who's like this the mind flair?
Speaker 2: No, no, no no, we lowered the voltage. The new Plassic ones, the New.
Speaker 1: Republic ones operate in a much lower voltage. It will give you relief from your imperial programming and it will wipe you know, the kind of like troubled imperial memories and preconceived you know, consciousness sectors from your mind and it will feel great. And it's not mind fling. I promise you it's not mind flag. You're gonna love the way it flays you. Okay, he trust me, had it done myself, and I love it.
Speaker 2: Freshing. I will say this again, just blowing me away. This this felt to me very andririan.
Speaker 3: It's this idea of how, like the New Republic, they need to do some stuff, but they're getting rid of all this Empire technology.
Speaker 2: But they kept the mind.
Speaker 4: Flare and not just that but lower and then arguing essentially like they're basically these are the things that they used to say about giving women electric shock therapy that they still do say about using it on people.
Speaker 3: You know, I just I thought this was it was this great balance and this is.
Speaker 2: So good in the writing.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious because of the way the mon Kalamari delivers it, but it's really chilling. And even though you're like, ashit, what the fuck, bro, You're like, this went really deep, really quickly. This like wrong direction where you're just like mind flayers. You're like, guys, literally listen to the name, don't do it, but do whatever you need to do.
Speaker 1: Again, we've lowered the vaultage and we prefer to call them mind Yeah, we're not We're not quite flaying. There is a little bit of a lot of textural Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I will say. He looked very chill when they first thaw it, like he enjoying your Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Pershing is then arguing, hey, wait it first of all, before you turn the flayir on like I was entrapped. It was Ellie.
Speaker 2: He then says very funnily to the Moncli Mari. It was a trapped in absolutely wonderful statement.
Speaker 1: We see Ellie watching from the other side of the window, which is weird. You shouldn't be allowed to do this.
Speaker 3: You JUSTI this is a sadistic good choice. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also like this is just bad trade craft from the Coruscant police, Like you shouldn't let your informer. You should arrest your informer as well and be like you're both taken into customs. So like the person has no idea who ratted a mat. This is a great informant.
Speaker 3: You make a great point, and I think this again showcases what we were talking about about the early days of the New Republic and where they are in this kind of like bureaucratic space. Because the other cop who's in there with hers kind of the the mind flayer technician.
Speaker 2: He's just like the mind what do you do? What do you do? Honey? How is working on a tough day of mind flawing fight ten minds?
Speaker 3: You know, accidentally nudged it when I was reaching for my coffee and flayed it instead of jostling it flatd guy today played ten guys O dear, like he's literally just in there, like you're incredible.
Speaker 2: This is the ship, like this is You're so good at what you do. This is why you're here.
Speaker 3: He's like, for every failure, like this man in front of us, there is a success, and you are that success.
Speaker 2: In informing on these people. And I'm just like these these guys they're as they're at. Sometimes they are as silly as pershing for not seeing what is clearly going on here.
Speaker 1: Yes, completely agree. Uh so elliot is like, man, this is crazy to watch this.
Speaker 2: You know, just definitely be flaying before. I do not believe.
Speaker 1: The technician is like, hey, you can leave. You don't have to stay here, and she's like, no, no, I got it. If you want to take a breast or break, I will watch.
Speaker 2: She's like, he's my friend. I need to watch, you know.
Speaker 1: Like he was wrong, but like there's a connection there and I just I want to be here for him. The tech then leaves her alone, which is.
Speaker 2: Like, and so does everyone else. Calmar why everyone's just leaving?
Speaker 1: Don't this is like, don't leave a candle on in an unattended in a room. Don't leave someone hooked up to a mind flare and walk away.
Speaker 2: Stay there in the whole time. If we are. If we are, as we have been saying that you should.
Speaker 3: Be keeping a better eye on the holistic existence of ex imperials in your space.
Speaker 2: Don't just leave an.
Speaker 3: Ex imperial with the mind flat. That's a bad idea, like the mind flower has one of the most ominous names of all time. Don't do it, just don't do it.
Speaker 1: Like so, as soon as the tech leaves, as soon as it tech leaves, g cranks up the voltage to full mind potentially let all the way slaying. And as she's flaying, she cracks open one of those delicious a tin of delicious biscuits, Imperial biscuits.
Speaker 2: In case you wondered which side she was on.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's not the force choking you. That's the dryness of the biscuit. And she and she just cranks one down. Uh in what again is a it is a very very over it in your face.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is remains And also as we kind of like we we kind of touched on it.
Speaker 3: But when she informs on uh pershing and he yets caught. She is so trusted by the New Republic that she takes away the box of imperial tools that he stole, so arguably she and whoever she is working for now have what they need to start testing on babies and building a Palpatine.
Speaker 1: I think what I think what she is trying to do here is to say, look at how they treated you. They're no better than the In fact, aren't they're just the same. Look what they did.
Speaker 2: They said they weren't gonna mind flame. Then they fleeed you. Oh that's really sick.
Speaker 1: You should just do you know, you're trying to help. If he's realize it, Yeah, I mean this is this is almost directly from the Palpatine playbook, which is like, my, see what they're trying to do. They're trying to stop us from doing good. They're the same as the bad guys, aren't they are.
Speaker 2: They Look they're gonna hut you and everyone around you, and in this case, you're gonna get your mind flawed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that that's exactly what her play I think she definitely was always gonna crank it. I'm interested to know if when he basically started being like no, it was her she like entrapped me. Like that's when she was like, maybe I'll crank you a bit high.
Speaker 2: I see why I can.
Speaker 1: Just make sure we get all of the.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: We go back to the the titular character this show, Mandlo and Bo. He's taking her to the covert, his covert, and he's like, listen, I know I don't need to say this, but you're they go by the old ways. Uh. And I know that you've not been so fine. You've been kind of openly critical, honestly of the old ways, not to mention hanging out like in your castle in front of her taking your helmet off, so please please, please, okay, leave your helmet on. Also, a crocodile can come out of that water at anytime, and.
Speaker 2: You need to be ready.
Speaker 1: They land pas Visla is like, hey, what are you doing here? Apostate den Jarren, the Mandalorian who's been cast out because you took your helmet off dinner is like, bitch, I'm redeemed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like it's me, Almah Walls. You are not redeemed. Like it's not happening for you.
Speaker 1: He's like, actually, that's like no, fuck, I've been redeemed. And this is how I went to our home planet. I went to the I went to Mandalor and guess what it's all lies about how they say it's polluted, it's not. You can live there, and you can go there. And I went and I bathed in the fucking living waters. And Bo is like, yep, that's true. We have been to the living waters. And then Din pulls out the vial in case anybody dares to question him, the armor, let's test fuck off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck this shit. The Armor then runs a test on the waters. Uh very SCIENTI okay, she's pouring it into some other water and it does something and she's like, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, that's Mandalorian uh living water folks, and uh, Din jarn, you are redeemed. This is the way, babe. And uh by the way, Bo, who we have a lot of political disagreements with you, but you have also not removed your helmet in like thirty minutes, But it's the thirty minutes since you bathe the living waters. Therefore you are redeemed as well.
Speaker 2: As long as you stay domed up, you can.
Speaker 1: Stay with us and Bo. It's the physical acting. Whoever is in either of the you.
Speaker 2: Know, he is like, I feel like she's in that suit.
Speaker 1: Because she is, but I think it's Katie and Pedro most of the time, but whoever it is, the physical acting here is amazing because it's, well, how would that being able to see her face? You can tell that Bo, while she doesn't want to admit, it feels like feels the weight of that acceptance and feels like, on some level like she is home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I kind of I love this as well because it's really funny because they kind of go, oh, you know, you haven't taken off your helmet, right, and she's like, no, like casually, and she acts surprised, and you get these great shoulder movements and this had boh, look, this is Bo. This bitch takes off her helmet everywhere. And guess what, they knew it was safe in the minds. They knew it was safe on that planet. But after she came out of that water, at least subconsciously, she kept it on.
Speaker 2: You know. I feel like deep down she.
Speaker 3: Kind of in the back of her mind, like when you do when you're a kid, or when you're just kind of daydreaming.
Speaker 2: You're like, imagine if this happened, like.
Speaker 3: It seems rare, but I think in her mind she had probably played out like what if I went back, and they were just like, well, you went in the water too, so you're a deem.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really great moment as well, because I think this shows a shift in how the Armorer sees the Mandalorians, like they need more people.
Speaker 3: And I love this kind of It's very different to anything we've seen her do. She's usually very hardcore. But the fact that she says to Bo, she's like, look, you can leave whenever you want. She's like, if you want to take the helmet off, you can go, but if you keep it on, you're welcome here. That seems to me like that widening of kind of who and what a Mandalorian can be. And I think that's gonna be an interesting next step.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, Why hasn't Beau mentioned anything about the Methosaur.
Speaker 2: That's why I want to know. I have a theory.
Speaker 1: You tell me if this I think a lot of it is what you know, we've seen over the course of these last few episodes, how disconnected feels, and I think for a lot of good reasons. You know, she's had her heartbroken numerous times with regards to the internal politics politics of Mandalor or her own connection to Mandalorian identity, the genocide of her people, et cetera.
Speaker 2: You know, the inability to do anything.
Speaker 1: About it, all of these things, and and and it's only natural that would lead you to wonder, like.
Speaker 2: Are we doing something wrong?
Speaker 1: Like why can't we defend ourselves even when our whole ethos is supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be about our house in battle?
Speaker 1: Like what is it about our philosophy that is weakening? Is I think that she is has been, you know, so divorced from Mandalorian culture to the point where you know, she's been openly of it. And I think she's taken the apostate identity in some way to heart. And and yet this incredible revelation has been delivered to her. The mythosaurt is real. And it must be a very lonely feeling because not only does do all these people her people view her as an outsider, an identity that she kind of was coming, you know, some ways towards embracing. But now she has this incredible news for them that they are going to be blown away, Like they are going to take it very emotionally, spiritually, It's going to mean a lot. It's this is a historic moment in the in the annals of the mandalaring people, and here is this person who doesn't believe in any invasion any more, and that information has been given to her. Yeah, it must it just must be such a weird, strange and discomfitting feeling. And I'm sure she just with regardless to her not saying anything. She just doesn't know how to say it or how it will be received exactly.
Speaker 2: It's really scared.
Speaker 1: About, like what will happen when I say this thing to them?
Speaker 2: What woul like?
Speaker 1: It would be heartbreaking on a certain level for her to say, guys, the Mithsissaur is real. I saw it, and for them to go get the fuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, and why would they believe? I think you summed it up so succinctly. I think she's I think there's two levels to it, and you basically eloquently put it across in the perfect way. But I would say overwhelmed and shocked, like she's in shock this thing exists. She saw it, and she has already worked out very quickly that she is the only one who saw it. She has no backup, she has no one to you know, collaborate her story.
Speaker 2: And I just.
Speaker 3: Think it's like like you said, it's that it's kind of incredible narrative storytelling that the one person who doesn't believe Eve is given.
Speaker 2: This burden of truth, you know.
Speaker 3: And then like you said, I mean that this is obviously in a way super heavily on her because the episode ends with her looking at the Mythosaur on the wall, the kind of logo of the Mandalorian and not telling people. Also, I think another added layer is you get she turns up Pasvisla, doesn't believe them, doesn't want to hear about it. That cements in her mind, oh, well, they're not gonna believe me. Then she's welcomed into the fold, and there's this incredible moment of kind of camaraderie at the end when everyone says this is the way and they kind of welcome them in and they hug them and stuff, and then she's like, well, fuck, like now I found this kind of like acceptance and home and I got to tell these people there's a mythysaur. And then she is also someone who has wielded the Dark Saber. Arguably I believe she could have taken it back after having it last episode. I think there's like an interesting thing there, but she knows what it is to be a legendary Mandalorian who wields a legendary thing, and what is the legend of the mythsaur Mandalorians ride them? So then does that set up this kind of inflict between her and whoever else does it? The fact that she saw it mean she is the one who's gonna ride it or will she end up being pushed aside? So Din or another Mandlauring can write it. There's so many interesting layers, but let's just say this. I think what we can say is we're gonna be going back to Mandalor this season.
Speaker 2: That is my prediction. Ohly, even if she only tells Din.
Speaker 1: Lastly, it really feels like with the middle piece of this episode, we're heading towards Snoke, right, We're gonna let's find out that's what it's gonna be. We're gonna find the origins of Snoke. It's gonna be Palpatin's DNA, some of Grogu's horrifically, some of Grogu's DNA, and who knows what else. But it feels like that's yeah, I think connection towards.
Speaker 3: Snow, and I think I think we're heading towards how they resurrected Palpatine, which was this kind of this this amalgamation of blood from his bloodline, you know, mixed with probably baby Yoda's blood.
Speaker 2: Poor baby.
Speaker 3: I don't like what it says for the baby, but I am very interested. I thought, I think if they lean into that and Dorian more politically nuanced, like in depth, and we had a lot of laughs talking about it, because that's just how we enjoy talking about this stuff.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot there. It's deep, it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of upsetting, it's really unsettling. I think that is the way to explore and add gravitas to what felt like, Oh, we just want to bring Palpatine back, and I would love to see that.
Speaker 2: I think great.
Speaker 3: Call on on Snooke being our first stopping gap. I think, you know, Jon Favreau's talked about the Mandalorian. I don't think he said he doesn't really know how many seasons it's going to go, So I think Palpatine would probably be later. But I think we can assume that we're heading towards the sequel trilogy. Now, what does that mean for who we will see or what we will hear about that's very interesting to me.
Speaker 1: Well, a really media episode. I was shocked when it came in at like fifty three minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, longest longest one so far.
Speaker 1: I think I can't wait to see where this goes up next.
Speaker 2: Nerd Out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In today's nut Out, will you tell us what you love? Am why?
Speaker 3: Or a theory that Eric excites shah listena Ike brings an RPGA's mindset to the Mandalorian.
Speaker 1: Hi Yang One strong thought I couldn't stop having since seeing the Mandalorian Season three Episode two was about bestcar they've already shown. The metal is incredibly rare, super useful and can be reforged in the creepy monster's layer on Mandalor. There are just heaps of helmets and armor and stuff laying around. If I'm Boca ten or gin Ordnjarren, I'd be filling my ship with that stuff.
Speaker 2: You'd be set for life.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's the RPG gamer in me, but they need to be looting that dungeon. Not even a word about it. We're just gonna ignore piles of precious metal armor. Maybe there's a world Bird upgrade in there. Just look at it. It can't hurt to try best, Ike, right, boy, I mean it is like a great point. There's like a there's billions of credits like mad lawyer r.
Speaker 3: I would be smashing every jaw, you know, every every part to see what is hidden inside.
Speaker 2: I would assume that the plain answer is.
Speaker 3: People thought that Mandolo was poisoned, so they didn't go there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that the the propaganda about the place has held And I and further, you know, it's unclear to me that any you know, other than this person who then you know, intersected with the jaws. It's not clear to me that very many people at all have ever even dared to go there. Like it's it's very possible that it was just whoever that one individual was. So I think that it's it might be that. I'm sure that there's a scientific reason for everybody to believe that the planet is poisoned. But I think that I think that probably most people just assume that it's poisoned, which is why they haven't gone there. But yeah, I agree with I agree with you Ike, Like next thing should be go there and get all the stuff that's useful and get it out.
Speaker 3: Although the one person, and I will say should have been doing this earlier. Is Bokatan Babe, you knew it wasn't poisoned. You told Dinn it wasn't poisoned. You should have been in there with your crew raiding all that Best Scar. Maybe you we'll find out you did raid some of it.
Speaker 2: But I think it would be interesting.
Speaker 3: I do think that this is likely gonna be a plot point going forward, because if they're trying to rebuild Mandolin and Bestcar is incredibly rare, the fact that there is at least some in the minds gives them a reason to go, even.
Speaker 2: If they don't believe Bo about the mythosole.
Speaker 3: Also, I will say, I think because of Dinn's obsession with being redeemed and that happening, and then Bo see this legendary creature that she didn't know if or believe in, I think that they're both that is probably at the back of their mind, even though they should absolutely be be rayed in the dungeon.
Speaker 1: About this hair brain tinfoil head theory under some not all, because I think the timelines don't quite line up. Some of the materials used to build Star Killer Base come from mandalor.
Speaker 3: Ooh see, now you're talking I love this. I love imagining the connections. I mean, why not they are taking all.
Speaker 1: This material there, metal of you know, incredibly strong metal, other types of mind.
Speaker 2: We also know that they weapons of our kids.
Speaker 3: We also know that the First Order Troopers were orphaned babies and kids that they stole. Very likely that some of them would know of Manned the Law, maybe it had heard rumors of it or had family from there. It would not at all be a stretch to imagine that may come into play, which would also be great because again it adds more of that conflict between Mandalor and Din's two sides of like the Force and Mandalor and going against you know, this kind of fascistic New Force user.
Speaker 2: I love that idea.
Speaker 1: Now, the timelines are a little fuzzy because the construction on Star Killer happened like way way earlier than this, But maybe some of the materials, you know, to build the super weapon or something I could imagine that happening anyway, great question, Ike, Thank you so much. If you have theories or passions you want to share, hit us up at x ray at crooker dot com instructions or in the show notes.
Speaker 2: Rosie.
Speaker 1: That is it for us plugs, plugs, plugs, plugs, what do you have to plug?
Speaker 3: You can find me here twice a week with you, which is just the most fun talking about all this kind of stuff. I have cool pieces recently at polygon ign all kinds of fun places like that.
Speaker 2: I'll be writing a lot about yellowjackets.
Speaker 3: And you can find me Rosie marks on social and yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode Wednesday, March twenty second, and of course remember bringing you two episodes a week. That's Wednesday and Friday's X ray Vision wherever you get your podcasts, and.
Speaker 3: You can also subscribe on YouTube where you can watch full episodes of the show. Sometimes we're like this, sometimes we're in a fancy studio, so you never know what you're gonna get. And follow us at xrvpod on Twitter where you can see all kinds of cool stuff that we're up to, nice retweets, fun reimaginings of the account.
Speaker 2: When we want to celebrate someone.
Speaker 3: Like Pager a Pascal and join our discord like we talk about it.
Speaker 2: A lot, it's great.
Speaker 3: Everyone on the discord feels like the Spider Man meme whenever we mention the discord on here, so you get that, and me and Jason are in there and we do cool watch parties and talk about all kinds of things, even outside the realm of the stuff we talk about on Extra Vision.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: Five star ratings, five star fine them.
Speaker 2: You gotta give it to us. One from Max Power.
Speaker 1: So ten fantastic. Rosie and Jason are so much fun to listen to. Even with the properties I don't follow, I still enjoy their recaps because they really get free insight. I recommend it all the time.
Speaker 3: Mad Max Max Powers, the Famous Max Powers Wow.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production.
Speaker 1: The show is produced by Chris Lord and Sal Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy's Rhart are editing and sound designers by Vascilla's Photopoulos. Dilon Villanueva and Matt de Group provide video production support. Alex Rellaford handles social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for a theme music.
Speaker 2: We will see you next time.
Speaker 1: Right, Hey, Mike, this is not from Marine. Yeah, I want to talk about Listen, Mike. There's no good way to say this. You know, I know this. There's a lot of complicated feelings about the Empire these days. They did. They made a lot of mistakes, Mike. I'm not gonna say she didn't make a lot of mistakes. Okay, you know I did vote for him, but it was for tax purposes. But one thing nobody talks about. They always bring up all their on they bring up the kids at the Jedi time. One thing nobody talks about. They never give them their credit for this is the biscuits, Mike. They travel biscuits. They're amazing, Mike. They will change your life, Mike, if you ever get a chance to try them. I understand the biscuits are illegal under the Corosont Accords right now, but if you ever by Hooker by cook, you get your hands on them, they will, Mike, the change of life, The change your life, Mike. I'll take my hands off the air. May thank you.