Speaker 1: Hey, Christy, Hi Will, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good? Well, here we are.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 1: Are you feeling better, by the way, because they were following up, No, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm like seventy five percent. You know, the stomach virus, like the stomach flu, It just it wipes you. So I'm on the mend. I'm definitely on the mend, and I'm better than I was, but certainly not one hundred percent. I was telling Brian, our awesome engineer, that yesterday I just started faking it. I just started eating normally and working out again and just pretending that I was fine, And we're going to see if that works.
Speaker 1: So sometimes you fake it till you make it.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yes, I've worked for you.
Speaker 1: I think in the past it has, so it has anyways, it has exactly.
Speaker 2: I just pretend I know how to act, and all of a sudden, somebody gives me a shot. So that's that's nice. But we're no, I'm we're here. This is our last round of the Sweet sixteen. Yes, so we are going to the Elite eight. These are the first time we will meet any new contestants will be today and of course at the top of show, we just like to give a quick shout out to everybody who made this super awesome contest to become the next big voice actor happen. Of course, all of our friends over at Amazon Prime. Who that that's going to come into conversation a lot today, we'll get into that with our guests.
Speaker 1: But a great guest today, judge a great communicator adjudicator.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, which is great, but no so we we of course want to thank Amazon Prime and thank everybody over at Critical Role and the Legend of oxmock in the season two is available for download right now. Of course, go check it out. It is an incredible show. And I say this every week. I don't just say that.
Speaker 1: Because he's in it. That's why you say.
Speaker 2: It is phenomenally good. But we also want to thank CESD for their phenomenal prize. We want to thank iHeart for of course, are making all of this happen. The contest has been going so well. Week by week we are having a more and more difficult time picking who's moving on. And next week we start the Elite A and a brand new game, so we will be saying goodbye to by the Numbers and hello do something which we will introduce next week. I'm not even going to give away the title because it's so much fun where we're going from here. We can't wait. We are going to find a well rounded voice actor and that means not just doing funny voices. It means a lot of other stuff too, and we will really be showcasing that in the next round. But we are not done with this round. Yes, and we have two incredible people joining us today. Our contestants are Mia from Florida and Robert from Virginia, and we are going to be getting into it. I can't wait. But before we get there, we need a guest adjudicator. It does You're so right, Christy. It does absolutely sound John Wickish, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, there's that character who in the Yes, the judicator, and that is what it is.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: I feel like I need to put down a secret gold coin and pass it across the table and say, we need an adjudicator for this week. But we got a good one, don't we.
Speaker 3: We do. I love this.
Speaker 1: I'm actually really excited to see you guys chat because I'm assuming that you guys are really good friends.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, this person has been you know, somebody that I've known for many years and has been integral in the creation, building and maintaining of one of the most popular media brands in the world, quite literally, and is a ridiculously good and well known not only voice of actor, but especially video game actor. She has been in some of the greatest video games ever and that's absolutely not an exaggeration. She has some of the most incredible I mean, her resume is insane. So we will get into that, of course when we get there. But let's introduce her because I don't want to keep her waiting anymore, and we'll let her know what's going on. Who is joining us today, Christy, We have.
Speaker 1: The fabulous Laura Bailey in the hull.
Speaker 2: Cannot wait, everybody, Laura Bailey Bay huh, Hey, how are you? Laura?
Speaker 3: I'm will How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good? Thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 1: Hey, no, frivolo, you have a gorgeous home.
Speaker 2: I don't know what this is.
Speaker 1: This is gorgeous.
Speaker 4: This is half my office, half my son's play area, which would have benmbo if I'm being You're like.
Speaker 1: In hindsight, maybe not.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about your home is your neighborhood. I hear you live in an absolutely beautiful neighborhood.
Speaker 3: You know, I hear the same thing.
Speaker 2: We got great neighbors, we really do. So thank you for joining us today. You're joining us on kind of a pretty important episode because you are joining us for the last round of the Sweet sixteen to help to pick who goes on to the Elite eight. Yes, so to bring you up to date on what's going on. We have seven incredible contestants, so we have as you well know, because you are part of this little show called The Critical Role.
Speaker 1: It's a little show that we never talk about every single week.
Speaker 2: It's tiny. There's so much four or five people that watch this show.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Anyway, before we get into our show, let's get into your show a little bit. Can you tell us a little bit. Let's start first, because we are strictly a voiceover show, Let's start first with your voiceover career. Just very briefly. How did you get started in the in the industry?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, I started kind of fresh out of high school. I was in Texas and I know that's where I was doing. Uh you saw my pajama pants for a second.
Speaker 4: I was doing a play in Dallas and uh, one of the people in the show was a voice actor for Funnimation, which did like Dragon Ball Z and at the time it was it.
Speaker 3: Was basically Dragon Ball Z, that's what they did.
Speaker 4: And he asked if I were to come in an audition, and I had never even thought that voiceover could be a thing. And I went an auditioned and had a blast lost my voice in the callbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you want, like you exactly what you want.
Speaker 4: Because I had no vocal control, you know, had not learned my lessons now. But yeah, and then I ended up getting cast as kid Trunks on Dragon Ball Z and then it just kind of been there.
Speaker 2: So where now you've obviously you've done a ton of I mean, we can talk about all the Marvel stuff you do, and you and I have worked together a lot in the Marvel world and all, you know that kind of thing. But you really just hit it out of the park in the video game world. How did that come into play?
Speaker 3: Well? Outside of Funimation?
Speaker 4: I started doing video games very very early as well, and I did a video game called blood Rain in Texas. That was the first video game I ever did. And I was a Nazi killing vampire.
Speaker 2: Of course, like you did.
Speaker 3: Kind and yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Just kind of all happened at the same time. And then when I came out to La, you know, there's I mean, there's there's recording in Texas. There's stuff to be done, but there's.
Speaker 1: Not a ton I need to get a job, guys, I need to Is this still happening?
Speaker 2: This is awesome. That's good. Then you can afford some stuff to hang behind you.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is sad guy, right look at her. She's got all you.
Speaker 3: You could be, you could be anywhere right now.
Speaker 2: Exactly every time we start the show, I ask her to hold up today's paper so I know she's safe. It's just the easiest way to do it, like, oh, thank god, that's Today's We're good. So moving out to La, did you because one of the things we talk about on the show a lot is how, I mean, the video game world not only took voiceover to a whole different level, but it became this hybrid between live action and voice acting that you really can't find anywhere else. So did you jump right into the mocap world or did you start strictly vo.
Speaker 4: I started strictly V I'd been in California working for I don't know, I don't know a few years and I got an audition for motion capture and I had no idea really what it was. We had worked with a stunt coordinator on another project and he brought us in, Me and Travis. I say us like the Royal Wey or something, of course, and Travis is in the kitchen over there.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he'll pop in at some point, and.
Speaker 4: So we went an auditioned for it ended up getting cast on this project that filmed in Japan, so we shot motion capture.
Speaker 3: I think it was for was it for Konami?
Speaker 4: I can't remember. It ended up not being made. We worked on it for like two months and the project ended up getting.
Speaker 3: Scrapped after a while. It's fun.
Speaker 4: I never saw the light of day, but it was my first experience with motion capture and I realized how much I loved it. And then it just you know, the industry has evolved so much as we've been working in it, and now so much of it is mo cap and I think I just looked out that I got in when it was very early and I understood the process, and then so that experience kept helping me get more jobs.
Speaker 2: You know, it's amazing. I mean it truly is. It's one of those things where I'm not a huge gamer anymore, just because once they added the third button on the remote, I was lost. But other than that, it was A and B.
Speaker 3: I'm good turn it up and down?
Speaker 2: Really that aut Oh no, they added an X button and I was like, what's happened? So but the best storytelling is now all done in video games because it can it actually can tell the whole story, and it's something that is just off the chart. So yes, we could sit here all day and talk about how you're amazing at what you do and your resume is ridiculous, But it's not about us. It's about finding the next US, okay, and we need your help. So every week we have we we actually had we thought, as you know, I came on to your show on Critical Role and we announced the contest there and we announced some other places, so we thought we were going to have you know, five six, seven hundred kind of people. We had almost forty five hundred entries. We literally went through every single one.
Speaker 4: How how how I think it was you guys A long time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys. I think it was because of a Critical Role that we really it exploded. So we three of us went through forty five hundred entries.
Speaker 3: How did we do that?
Speaker 2: It was sitting in the room that was one after the.
Speaker 1: Being like Christy got a pinish.
Speaker 2: We've got more more. But we have come up. We picked our final sixteen and we have come up with our first round to get to the elite eight. We came up with a game that is called by the Numbers, and we're going to need you to help us with buy the numbers. So what by the Numbers is is we have three lines of actually, well, the contestants that we have no of two lines of dialogue that we have that we've sent to them ahead of time. We then have four categories size, what are you age? And a wacky attribute with numbers. You will pick Laura. You will create a character on the spot that the actors then have to do with the lines of dialogue that we have given them. After each round, we will give them notes and they will try it again and then they move on to line too. Now the wrinkle is after the first two lines, we will then be throwing them a line three that they have not seen yet and will then create another character on the spot and they will have to read cold after they It's not easy, and some of the combinations we come up with, we're going, I don't know what we would do, it's really not So we will then put them in their waiting rooms and then decide which one of them moves on and which one of them unfortunately, will have to look elsewhere because we know that all these people are so talented that they're going to get signed somehow, but they will no longer be in the contest, So we take them how they come. And the first one that we have to is Mia from Florida. So if we can bring Mia in and introduce her, that would be phenomenal. Hello, Hi, well, I already like her voice. Thank you, Mia. If you could tell us very briefly what drew you to be wanting to become a voiceover actor.
Speaker 5: Well, growing up as a blind individual, you know, music and audio is very very important to me because I felt like it was something that I could really connect with other people on, like it was something that I could actually listen to and be like, oh, I can experience this sensation just like the rest of you can. So obviously I grew up in theater. I did a lot of stage work. But my only problem was they're always like.
Speaker 6: Wow, your voice is so expressive.
Speaker 5: However your body language is is a little bit lacking. So I was like, what can I do with vocal things that you know? And then I found voiceover and then the apocalypse happened, obviously, and that was a really great time to just you know, sit down, get all the equipment, get everything started. And it's been a wonderful journey.
Speaker 1: I love it so much.
Speaker 7: It's my life.
Speaker 3: It's wonderful.
Speaker 2: That is incredible, and I'm taking so much away from what you just said. But I heard you were blind. Is that what you just said? I can't believe.
Speaker 1: Vision and pair ways we can say that all that so I think she gets to pick jokes.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. Thank you so much. We will do you have your two lines of dialogue that we send perfect. We will be right back with you to begin round one. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's incredible, unbelievable. This is going to be a fun week. I can already tell wow. All right, now let's bring in contestant number two. We are bringing in Austin from Virginia.
Speaker 3: Hello, he.
Speaker 2: Very quickly, can you tell us what led you to wanting to become a voice over actor.
Speaker 8: Well, I've been acting, performing, singing, and dancing since since pre school. My mom was really the one who taught me all of my foundations for storyteller. For storytelling, storytelling is really the goal. I love live action, I love animation. I've been collecting voices my entire life since even before then. And I've never had an agent. But I have won city, state, and national awards, scholarships, and competitions for writing, acting, and directing for film and theater. Wow, which all sounds cool, but it doesn't exactly mean anything if you're broke.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: But but I haven't competed in a while, so this is like really exciting. Storytelling just means a lot to me.
Speaker 2: Some of the most.
Speaker 8: Important movies ever made were animated movies or TV shows Iron Giant, Grape Mouse, Detective Rescuers, down On. So I'm here, let's do this.
Speaker 2: You got Austin love that?
Speaker 3: Where did you say you're located Austin.
Speaker 8: I'm actually just outside of d C. I'm actually in the Stafford Quantico area of Virginia.
Speaker 2: So, like the FBI Academy is listening to you, less than a mile oh, definitely, they've rigged to the contest them fed well, thank you so much, Austin, you have the two lines of dialogue we sent you. I do perfect. We will be back with you. Your fellow contestant got here first, and we are going just by order of how people arrived, so we will be right back with you to start round one. Thank you so much. All right, let's bring in Mia. Here we go people the last round of round one, to see whos going to be an elite the elite.
Speaker 1: This is crazy, this is going to be a doozy.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. It is a ton of fun. So here we go and we are bringing Mia back.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: By the way, I am so excited that I forgot to introduce you to Laura Bailey and Krista Carlson Romano and myself. I'm Wilfredell. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Is here.
Speaker 1: I'm just like a stage five clinger.
Speaker 2: And thank you. And so as you know, we are going to be starting round one here with your first line of dialogue and the redoubtable, which has become one of my favorite words ever. Laura Bailey is going to decide what character you are going to do. Line one in so, Laura, if you would please, could you give me a number between one and six?
Speaker 3: And I don't know what any of these numbers mean?
Speaker 2: Nope, no, okay, did you will?
Speaker 6: Soon?
Speaker 3: I will say number four?
Speaker 2: And can you give me a number between one and twelve?
Speaker 3: Seven?
Speaker 2: And now a number between one and seven two, and finally a number between one and eleven eleven? Oh, I like this, Christy? Can you please tell us what character? Mia?
Speaker 4: Will be?
Speaker 2: Ready?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: All right, miss Mia? You are a small flower.
Speaker 7: Oh who's five years old and is an athletic coach?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I love it.
Speaker 2: So there is an interesting combination for you, a small five year old flower, oh who's an athletic coach? Line number one, Mia at your pleasure sounds great? NiFe is so strange?
Speaker 5: Why do I sometimes feel like someone just made me up? Like they picked random numbers off of the list and I'm a cane. Jeez, it's such a weird feeling.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, that's a pretty strong start. Lord. Do you have any notes from me?
Speaker 1: Is there any way to make her sound more innocent like that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Anything else? Mia?
Speaker 1: I think we always say, like, okay, we got that she was small? We got that, you know, I generally I could definitely envision her being a flower. She had that kind of flowery feeling to her voice. You know, it's very sing song and magical. And I think, like I agree, I think that the five year old. There were two things that were gonna just we can improve on in this second take would be that five year old, which Laura I think was hinting out with it being feeling a little bit more like you said innocent, yes, okay. How do you think that would play in the voice in that way?
Speaker 3: I usually feel like.
Speaker 4: When you're doing it's hard for adults to voice children because we have our own, like adult ways of inflecting things. So maybe like change up some of the inflections in just like unique ways ways that would maybe sound wrong to an adult.
Speaker 3: That's how kids like would blurt.
Speaker 1: Something out, yes, I feel that okay, And then the athletic coach.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what I was gonna say. I would say, I know, I know we're throwing a lot at you, but I got I got young, I got flower. Maybe for the second round, lean a little bit into athletic coach. I'd like to see what that would sound like.
Speaker 5: Already, all right, So it's fun, it.
Speaker 2: Gets it, it gets crazy. Yeah, so uh there you go, line number one, me at your pleasure, all right, life is so strange.
Speaker 5: Why do I sometimes feel like someone just made me up, like be picked random numbers off all this and I can't.
Speaker 1: Jeez, come on, come on, it's such a weird feeling.
Speaker 2: You get it, you get wow. Wow, good adjustments. Thank you very much. We will be back with you in a second.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, guys, this is the last round and it is going to be a hard one.
Speaker 3: I can already tell.
Speaker 2: That was that was pretty That was pretty great. I also thought that she took the direction really well.
Speaker 3: You really did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which really did you know? That's when we're looking for an all around voice actor. That's what you're looking we always say, Laura. We are looking for somebody that the second day win, if they win on a Monday Tuesday, they could be in the booth with us.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So some she sounded very good. Inflection was was great, and love the.
Speaker 4: Way a hard thing because the two notes were like kind of contradictory.
Speaker 3: Also more like an athletic coach. And she fully did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was insane all right. So let's bring Austin in. Hey, Austin, how are you hello again? All right, so here we go. We are going to be starting with line one. Laura, if you would please a number between one and.
Speaker 3: Six oh five.
Speaker 2: And now a number between one and twelve eight, and now a number between one and seven two.
Speaker 3: Oh, I did it too before it didn't Is it the same thing?
Speaker 2: Yep? Great, three, three, and now finally a number between one and eleven four. Christ right, oh, I like this.
Speaker 1: You're at You're a tiny fish who is ten years old and is in the middle of an allergic reaction.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, let's Austin's like. I got this.
Speaker 1: Let's go tiny fish ten years old in the middle of an allergic reaction.
Speaker 2: All right, Austin, go ahead. Life is so strange. Why do I sometimes feel like someone.
Speaker 10: Just win me up, like they picked relgium numbers off the list and the outside cabe jeez, that's what's a weird feeling?
Speaker 2: Totally quite waitful.
Speaker 3: Wamy epi pen oh I like it, Laura?
Speaker 4: Any notes it is there any way to make it sound a little bit younger.
Speaker 3: I would like to hear it without the without the.
Speaker 4: Mouth effect, to see if you can just do something without the pulley on the cheek, Okay for sure.
Speaker 11: Christy, Uh yeah, I think you could play with the allergic reaction to It's kind of tricky because you're playing fish and sometimes playing fish and like Watery, you also can get into the the nose.
Speaker 1: I think that the allergic reaction thing can also be in a sneeze or a cough or like a wheeze. Like I think they're that we're giving you a lot, but I think you can. I think you can. I think you're doing it, doing it great, Okay.
Speaker 2: And I would say, Austin, let's just make sure for the first thing we got to do is we got to make sure we can hear the dialogue. So we want to make sure that you're enunciating the words and we're adding the words.
Speaker 1: Tiny isn't something that I really got from that, right, He's tiny.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing we've always said, though, is you can always play against type so.
Speaker 3: And that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what it is, but I loved I loved his take on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tiny, tiny can be big and big can be tiny. So Austin, why don't you just give it one more shot with the ninety three things we just threw at you, some of them contradicting each other. Give it one more time, one more tri Austin at your pleasure?
Speaker 12: Life is so strange? Why do I sometimes I feel I feel like someone just just make me up? They they put random numbers up, A mished and out.
Speaker 3: I came.
Speaker 12: Such a weird feeling. M can you just grab the EPI pen please, and maybe a snack?
Speaker 3: I like that character.
Speaker 2: That was great, Thank you very much. We will be right back with you.
Speaker 1: A cute fish.
Speaker 2: I thought he was great. I thought he took the direction well too. But frankly, I thought her Round one was so good. Yeah that I think she's got the slight edge over round one, if that's just my opinion. But I thought she was great.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you could fully picture what she was doing as the description, right, you saw a little flower.
Speaker 3: I feel like with Austin.
Speaker 4: The voice was hilarious, the ad libs were hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was picturing like droopy dog me too. Yeah, And he created the jewel effect.
Speaker 2: He went jowey, So looks like I was down here a little bit. Yeah. That being said, you know, certainly nobody's running away with it after round one, but she really was great. I'd like to see. Let's see if something happens where she has to play completely against little girl or little kid and see the range, and if we can bring Mia back in and we will start line number two.
Speaker 1: Helonia plant time. No see, I'm sorry, that's about you.
Speaker 2: Nice, very nice. All right, so we are too, round number two, line number two, and here we go. If you would please, Laura a number between one and six six, and now a number between one and twelve three, and now a number between one and seven six, and finally a number between one and eleven.
Speaker 3: Eight.
Speaker 1: Christy, you're a microscopic sixty year old mouse who's been stuck in traffic for six hours.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: I think you can do it.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see, let's do what so Mia? There you go on? Do you need their description again?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I think I got it.
Speaker 5: Okay, we got the microscope, big, we got the mouse, I got sixty years old, you know, traffic?
Speaker 2: Perfect?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if there's one thing that older people probably don't like.
Speaker 2: Being all right, Mia, line number two at your pleasure already.
Speaker 5: Okay, the costume is all done, You've need some of the equipment, and I live in a city filled with crime.
Speaker 1: Time to go be a superhero?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 5: Mom, can you drive me to be a superhero?
Speaker 2: Laura? And you notice.
Speaker 3: Can we hear it? Uh? With a little bit more age? Well, so she's only sixty, right, let's just push it.
Speaker 1: I know it's like we're talking like sissy, right.
Speaker 3: I know we're not talking like ninety.
Speaker 2: But let's make it ninety. Let's make it ninety here further. Yeah, let's let's try to push everything. Let's make it ninety. I don't have a problem with that. We want to we want to push you out of your comfort zone. So let's let's see what ninety year old mouse sounds like.
Speaker 1: All right, Christy, Yeah, I mean I got I want to push it even farther, like if this is really just for us to see you have fun with it, and to push it even farther if she's ninety. It's so funny how you can use the words on the page right well, and Laura, like, I feel like that's sometimes all you can do is use the words on the page with you know, three three adjectives or whatever they're giving you for this little character, which is exactly this simulation. And I think it's the words that we're discussing, right, is she's ninety and she's still expecting her mom to drive her. She's also stuck in traffic, so it's like she's honestly yeah, So I would just say, really play into the frustration and how you know you still have to be a superhero. You've probably been a superhero for a really long time. You should be retired playing yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, there you go. That's that's great. So let's let's hear that, okay, and then go from there. So Mia, line number two at your pleasure, Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Okay, the costume result done.
Speaker 5: I've made some of the equipment, and I live in a city filled with crime.
Speaker 1: Time to go be a superhero?
Speaker 2: Wait, mom, can you drive me to go there? Superhero? Thank you very much. Mia, We'll be right back with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: See that's what I mean. She's great, But it's if once she's out of her comfort zone, it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well you know what's interesting is I think I mean, it would have made sense for her to take it really small again, and I think she wanted to show sure that she can do something other than that teeny voice, you know.
Speaker 2: Which is again it's okay. We all know actors that go in and they you know, they have their specific to kind of what they do. They're great at what they do. Oh, but that's what they do. You know. I've often said, you know, most of us, myself very much at the top of this list, can't do fifty voices. You know, we're not Eric Bausa. Most of us we can do a couple and as long as the acting's there.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what I've learned, and it's something that I've learned through this experience of this contest.
Speaker 3: Is that what makes the.
Speaker 1: Actor stand out is that is that interpretation of what they're given, sure, and and just how much they put their their imprint on it. Right Like when we know that people are getting hired in Hollywood because they bring something to the words on the page, like I said again, and so it's like, Okay, we know that they're going to put their stamp on it, and that creativity is going to live through those characters. It doesn't necessarily mean I think that the the like, you know, the voice has to be wild or big, all that different. It just has to be the approach to the content I think has to be at a professional level.
Speaker 2: Now I agree, So all right, well let's speaking of the approach. Let's see how Austin approaches line number two here, and we'll bring Austin back in another tough week. Hey Austin. Hello, all right, so line number two here we go, Laura, if you would please the number between one and six?
Speaker 3: What haven't I chosen? One?
Speaker 2: Fair enough? Now number between one and twelve?
Speaker 3: Twelve?
Speaker 2: And oh fine, a number between one and seven.
Speaker 3: Two today, I say two.
Speaker 2: You've done two, but not for actually not for Austin, so that's perfect. And now finally a number between one and eleven.
Speaker 3: Ten.
Speaker 2: I love this, Christy.
Speaker 1: You're a giant teddy bear who is five years old and is afraid of your own shadow.
Speaker 2: Cute, good combo, love that cat? All right, all right, Austin, at your pleasure.
Speaker 13: Okay, the costume's all done, and I've made some equipment, and I live in a city filled with crime. Time to go be a superhero?
Speaker 2: Awake mom? Mom? Can can you go trive me to be a superhero? Flora any notes.
Speaker 4: Two things I would like to see if you can make the voice any bigger, fuller, you know, and also try speeding up the read a little.
Speaker 8: Bit, speeding it up, okay, and can I get can I get the description real quick so I can again, just to be.
Speaker 1: A giant, a giant teddy bear, a giant five year old teddy bear, and you are afraid of your own shadow.
Speaker 2: Okay, By the way, I agree with both of those notes from Laura. That's exactly what I was going to say. I would say, let's more giant, let's let's hear some size, and uh, let's let's speed up the dialogue a little bit, smooth it out.
Speaker 1: And also just more fearful throughout, I would say too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just those fourteen notes.
Speaker 3: I was always going to say it.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's good though, That's what we have to do. So you have you're going to get directors that are yelling at you through the glass a bunch of different things. So at your at your pleasure whenever you want.
Speaker 13: Okay, the costume is all done, and I've made some equipment, and I live in a city filled with crime.
Speaker 10: Time to go be a superhero. Oh wait, mom, Mom, can you drive me to go be a superhero?
Speaker 12: Please?
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, We will be right back with you.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: I think she takes the direction a little better than he does, I'm honest.
Speaker 4: I also think that the voice type was outside of his, like he's got a good hero voice, like a really good like oh if he's just like a.
Speaker 1: Teenager a spider Man type exactly.
Speaker 2: So you know what we might have to do, which we did this last week, and I'm thinking this might be the way that we kind of start doing round three if we for the very last contestant we've ever had, if we think that somebody's has a comfort zone, maybe we try to go to that for the next one we create. So we try to create something for him that is in his comfort zone, in his wheelhouse, so we can see, all right, here's your character, here's the ideal character for you. What would you do? Because I almost feel like Mia got that in the first round with the five year old age, you know, so it's it seems like she was kind of right in her wheelhouse right from the start, and maybe we want to give him a shot where he's right in the wheelhouse. So maybe we have Laura create a superhero character for him kind of towards the end for next round, and we'll see what he can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's a fairness to it. But so far, so far, and again just me speaking, I have her to nil on him so far round wise, but I do want to give him a shot to really be in his wheelhouse and see what's going to go on, because Laura, if he does, if he comes in and kills it. We have something that Christy created called the Tongue Tist the Tongue Twister Tiebreaker Challenge which I can't even say, I can't even say the title, which we've only had to we'll only had to implement once. But what we shall see. So let's bring me back in for round three. Hello, Hello, Hello, hey Miah, Hey, do you have the third line that we're going to be doing.
Speaker 5: Let me check if it's in the comments. I can do my own thing and make it really big so you don't need to worry about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, Then that's what we are going to do. That's absolutely wonderful, excellent, So there you go. We're going to do line three for you, and we are going to have the unbelievable. I like that the best way. The unbelievable Laura Belly once again create Ay, I just keep using redoubtable, which I love, but most people don't know what it means. The unbelievable Laura Belly is once again and going to create a character for you. Laura. I'm going to say this off the bat, not to in any way, shape or form influence you. But when we get to wrap, when we get to the fourth category, if you were to pick one of the first three numbers, other stuff might happen. This is all I'm gonna say. Role for initiative. Okay, So here we go. But first, a number between one and six. One I meant for the fourth one, but that works too.
Speaker 14: Went across the board, Jesus one all the way. Actually one that would? Is that what you're gonna do that? Nobody has ever done that?
Speaker 3: So I will.
Speaker 2: Christy, what do we got?
Speaker 1: You are a British giant dog who is ancient, proper British, proper British.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, ancient proper British giant dog. Thank Lor Belly for that. Thank you, So your secret line number three at your pleasure, all.
Speaker 7: Right, And here it is noon only wonderful Monday, and I hope your week starts with walks, bulls being thrown in some big stretchers.
Speaker 5: We're going to keep it going now, it's a classic pardon this is a walk in the park by the.
Speaker 1: Boo wos here on easy one oh.
Speaker 2: To the book.
Speaker 1: Wow it actually being perfect? Why did you guys write this for that?
Speaker 2: Seriously? Wow? Okay, Laura, any notes.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much like dialogue training like. It is kind of crazy to throw out just like a random accent.
Speaker 4: But if we can try to keep it a little more consistent throughout, because we kind of lost it about halfway through.
Speaker 3: I think that's and ancient on top of it.
Speaker 4: We already had you do a nine year old and there's another ancient character.
Speaker 2: Make her younger or him younger, make make the character younger. That's no problem, keep it. Let's keep it in your wheelhouse for where you feel comfortable with the age of the character. Why don't we do that, miya? So however, you take take away ancient and let's make it whatever age you feel comfortable making the character. We want to make this Round three? Is she still giant in your wearehouse?
Speaker 1: Is she still a giant dog.
Speaker 2: Sure, because giant can be you can. You can play giant. However you want to play giant, I'd still play Clifford like this. So yes, it's kind of up to you how you would like to do it. But and then the other thing I would say is maybe, and I know this is tough because we just threw the line at you, but smooth it out a little bit all the way through. Yeah, and maybe slow it down a little bit and pick your moments if that makes sense.
Speaker 5: All right, It sounds like a plan anytime. And it is noon only, wonderful Monday, and I hope your week's thoughts with looks balls being thrown in some big stretches, we are.
Speaker 1: Going to keep it going.
Speaker 7: Now, let's say classic this.
Speaker 5: Is Walk in the Park, Bye, bow wows here on easy went into the book.
Speaker 3: We'll be back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a what a cutie? Huh?
Speaker 2: That was great?
Speaker 3: Yes, adorable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And for the record, some people can't do a whole bunch of dialects.
Speaker 1: I got to be honest, like I I agree with you. I know that that wasn't for accurate accuracy saying the best proper, But the character like she approached it with such like energy that it did feel fun.
Speaker 2: And not everybody, not every buddy is Trevor de Valls. Yeah, British, but you've been here for a while, the home of British. But no, it's again, not everybody is Trevor Deval. Not everybody can instantly snap into a thousand different dialects. And now we will bring in uh for for the last round. Here, let's bring him back one more time.
Speaker 1: I can't believe how accurate that one.
Speaker 2: Right, All right, Austin, here we go round number three. We have just sent you your line of dialogue, So Austin, we're gonna kind of switch it up a little bit on you.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have Laura pick a character for you, but we're also going to kind of tailor the character because we want to see what you can do if you're more in your wheelhouse, if that makes sense, you know, age wise, character wise, something like that. We feel like you've been getting a lot of maybe younger characters, and we think that we could see you as more of having that kind of younger superhero voice, like a like the good Peter Parker kind of voice. So we're gonna kind of tailor a character a bit for you and go from there. So we're gonna see what Laura picks, and then we're gonna kind of tweak if we have to. Does that make sense.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So here we go, Laura. Number between one and six please?
Speaker 3: Three? Have I already said three before?
Speaker 2: You have not? You have not? And now a number between one and twelve.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 2: Nice? And now a number between one and seven two?
Speaker 3: No, I said two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did you mean four? Yeah, you met four. That's what I thought I thought you met for. And now a number between one and eleven two. Okay, great, we're going to try this. The audience can't see what you just did. We want to give everybody the best possible shot here Austin, and we'll be honest. In other weeks, the contestants have gotten gotten characters that were in their wheelhouse, so we didn't necessarily have to tweak. It's only been in the last two weeks where it seems like some of the numbers we were picking were not perfectly tailored to some of the some of the actors. And we want to make sure that you have a chance to kind of do one that you can really just throw it out there.
Speaker 4: So, Christy, let's be real like, I don't get auditions for you know, ninety year old women. I get auditions for people that are most of the time similar to my voice type, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, so, and we want to make sure that you get that opportunity as well. So you in this one are a ninety year old woman, I mean, Christy, you are.
Speaker 1: A medium alien, medium sized alien who's fifteen years old, so like teenager age, right, and you here's this, here's the sniff. You're Scottish?
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, A right of course, just fine accuracy.
Speaker 2: Alright anytime, Austin so an alien real quick before.
Speaker 8: So it's an alien, medium sized, fifteen year old Scottish alien.
Speaker 2: Yep hmm. And for round number two, if Scottish doesn't work out, we'll just hear fifteen year old alien. But for now, let's see what you got, all.
Speaker 15: Right, listen up u ee, lads and glasses. And here it is noon on this wonderful Monday, and I hope your week starts with walks, balls, being throne and some big stretches. We're going to keep it going now with a classic. This is walk in the Bark, Walk in the Park by the Bow wows here on Easy one O two the bark.
Speaker 2: Nice, uh any notes.
Speaker 3: I mean you.
Speaker 1: Sounded forty, but beyond that I love Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think you know I would do it too. I think the Scottish accent makes people's so let's Scottish accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes people go deeper because instantly you know you're someone you know, you know. I want to forget it, forget like Billy Connolly.
Speaker 15: You know I can do it.
Speaker 2: I can do a lot of that's interesting. I say we dropped the accent just for this round. Okay, okay, I would say, no Scottish. I want to hear your teenage superhero voice with this line of dialog.
Speaker 13: Okay, all right, listen up, boys and girls. And here it is noon on this wonderful Monday, and I hope your week starts with walks, balls being thrown in some big stretches. We're going to keep it going now with a classic. This is Walking the Park by the Bow wows here on Easy one O two the Bark.
Speaker 2: That's great, We'll be right back with you. Love you guys, Thank you Austin.
Speaker 1: Oh he's so sweet too.
Speaker 2: Let's discuss this because we got some choices to make. Yeah, so that was the best one. I mean I thought that just when he strips it down, Yeah, acting is good. Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: It's funny because that's that line is so like your radio announcer. So it's I think challenging. It's challenging to do that line and also like try to keep it like you know, I'm a nervous superhero and.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, it's tough. That's why we're throwing.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's almost smelling that you want to do a tongue tie twister?
Speaker 3: Is that when I'm it sounds like so much fun? What it is?
Speaker 2: Should I mean, okay, were.
Speaker 4: Personally up until this point, I think I would say, nah.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't disagree either.
Speaker 2: Okay, then there's not We can't just throw them to do the tongue tied twister challenge.
Speaker 3: If it's not a.
Speaker 2: Tide just because it's fun. And I think he's good, I really do. She that first round she did was so sitting next to somebody in the booth just doing a role that I thought she nailed it right off the bat. I mean it was it was perfectly in her Wheelhouse. But it was really good that her first round. I mean really good. And I think she needs a little bit of work on maybe some of the choices she makes as an actor. But I thought the acting's good. I think the voice is good. I think she could work all the time with that, you know, just her pipes. You know, she sounds like kind of young powerpuff Girls or yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean eighteen if we're you know, oh, yeah, she's eighteen years old.
Speaker 3: She's eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yes, she has actually a mature voice for an eighteen year old.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: I think, you know what I'm saying. I feel like she actually will row into her voice more and have a long career. And I mean, you know, this kind of contest could be so big for a person, you know, like Mia, and she's doing a great job and we didn't you know, we didn't hold back at all. She's gotten all the information just like everyone did at real time. And I'm just so proud of her. You know, she's got a great attitude, and you definitely need to have a great attitude to face you know, all of the ins and outs of the business.
Speaker 2: Laura, what do you think you stick You stick with Mia?
Speaker 3: I stick with me. I still think I think Austin was great, fantastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah again, I think that he'll find work absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think so too. I think so too. And I think partially one of the things that I'm glad we started doing with Round three was letting people kind of so what we had last week, for instance, is we had a guy who was who came in and the contestant he was up against was phenomenal, but his natural voice was so unbelievably good. Like Barry White announcer. He said hello and we were all like, oh man. So we were doing everything we could to get him in his wheelhouse, but he just ran up against the buzzsauce. So we want to make sure that everybody's having their opportunity, and I think I do. I think Austin's very, very good. I think his natural voice is probably the way I would go.
Speaker 3: I think he would do amazing commercial work. Yes, commercial radio reads like he say seemed like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree, But unfortunately he would be great on camera yeah yeah, yeah, like a or like you or like a hero. I think he's great, and he's a great actor.
Speaker 2: He is funny, and he's he's trying to add lib and that's what you want. You want somebody who's Yeah, I agree, but we're looking for an all you know, we need somebody who does great ad read but also does great character and we're looking for that all around kind of voice actor. So I think we're all in agreement then, as much as we'd love the tongue twister challenge, all right, let's bring Austin back in. This sucks. Hey Austin, how are you hello? How's everything going? How's it going? Guys? So, uh, we we think you're great. We really do. We think you're phenomenal. I think the last round was your best round because it's kind of it stayed in your natural register, and I think, uh, you know, in your career that's a voiceover wise, that's kind of where I think you're gonna want to stay. That being said, your fellow contestant today was really really good. And unfortunately this is as far as you're going to be going in the contest, But you were. All of us have been sitting here just talking about it left and right because you're Frankly, we as awesome as your voice is, and your voice is really good, we think you're We think you're an on camera actor. Yeah, we think voice over something that you should definitely do because you're good at it. But you're you're just your whole vibe just comes off as being an on camera actor. Frank Kustin.
Speaker 1: I think you would make so much money in commercials. I mean, like, you have such a great look for folks I can't see. He's just really good looking.
Speaker 2: Guy and very hip and very easy to talk to.
Speaker 1: And I just think I think you'd be great. I think if you if you wanted to do that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're really good. And again we've said from the beginning the sixteen people we picked, so I'm not going to lie to you. I remember you from the from the audition. You were This is not a joke. The first audition I saw, I really are you talking forty five hundred auditions, you were the first one I clicked on, and we even think you guys got it for the lengt time. And I instantly put you in the has to move forward category and I was like, Wow, they're all going to be this good and they work, they just they just weren't you. Did you set the bar? I'm not trying to blow smoke at you. You set the bar You're really really good, so keep moving forward. As you said, you've won contest, You've done stuff. You will get signed by somebody, and you are going to have a career. So we want you to know that you did phenomenally well. Congratulations on making it this far. But your fellow contestant today was was just kind of on another level, and that could just be today.
Speaker 8: People have off days, you know, It's just the way it is, absolutely and I totally understand that. Honestly, I'm very I'm just thankful for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 8: This has been like a world I'm such huge fans of all of you, Like I've been paying attention to your work for like my whole life, Like not many people my age talk about my date with the President's.
Speaker 2: Daughter that much.
Speaker 8: I appreciate that I was watching Batman Beyond this morning. And I'm obviously a huge fan of Christie's Laura. I've definitely seen you around too, Like you guys are awesome, Like, thank you so much for this.
Speaker 2: This means the world to me. So blessed. Well we are, we are, we will see you again. We know we'll see you again, So thank you so much.
Speaker 11: For coming on.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Take care guys, you as well. God, that's the worst. I hate that because he is good.
Speaker 1: Every every single person that we've had to let go took it so well so well.
Speaker 2: It's also the I think they're going to work. Yeah, exactly. No, I just was like, I hate you guys. They're so good and we're hoping, we're hoping. You know, other agencies, and you know, the winner signs with CESD, but other agencies have to be hearing this stuff and saying, man, I'll sign that personally. You know, it's because because they're great. But now now the fun part happens. Now we can bring me in Mia. Hello, how are you good?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: We're good. We just wanted to thank you so much for coming and joining us. It has been a very difficult week and a very difficult decision for us. But you know, we just want you to know that we think you're amazing and you really you really did well today. But unfortunately you're gonna have to deal with us going forward because you will be moving on in the next round.
Speaker 1: Why why can I get to do that because it's fun?
Speaker 2: I know, I get to do that because it's fun. Mia. We think you are absolutely wonderful. You know, the the first round of special we think the character just suited you perfectly, and you really showed us what you can do. I think you're you're the sky's the limit. I would say this moving forward, and now I'm gonna throw it to Christi and Laura, I would say, moving forward. Anytime you can work on improv, I would you know it just it makes you faster, It makes you kind of on your toes. And as any voiceover actor will tell you, the job you're in right now, the next job you get a lot of times it's because of stuff you ad lived in the room and you made. You just are creating things in the room, and the next thing you know, you're on the next show because hey, remember that voice you were doing. So you know, if you can get into some kind of an improv class or something like that, I think you should because it can only help with the natural talent that you already have from there. So, Laura, do you have anything to add You're awesome.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, you guys have been such a pleasure to meet.
Speaker 1: I'm very happy I got to come on here.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That is so cool. Christ Billy.
Speaker 3: I'm really proud of you, ya.
Speaker 1: I think you have so much talent inside of your body and I we are all just you know, rooting for you, and I'm excited to see you at the next round of this competition. Congratulations, Thank you so much. Can't wait to see you again.
Speaker 2: And speaking of that, if if the next round, if we could, if we could have your camera working, that would really be great.
Speaker 5: Okay, we kind of have a talking to you after this, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much and we will see you in the next round.
Speaker 4: Alle ready, bye bye, bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody very quickly before we say goodbye to our amazing guest judge today, Laura Bailey, and you were amazing. Thank you so much for joining us. We are there. Round one of the super awesome contests to become the next Big Voice Actor is done. We are done with by the numbers and we'll be moving on to a new game next week. But Mia from Florida is going to be joined by Dylan from Louisiana, Danielle from Tennessee, Matthew from Delaware, Tatiana from California, Hannah from Alabama, heylenh from North Carolina and Haley from Texas. We did not plan this, We did not know what was happening. But the women came in and just crushed it. They absolutely killed So there's only two men left. There's there's two guys left and the other six are women. The women just came in and absolutely threw down. Yes, so what a contest and we are moving forward. Laura, thank you so much for this.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. This was a blast. You were at last.
Speaker 1: It was really nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: You too. I can't believe we haven't met before.
Speaker 2: Which is crazy. It's absolutely crazy. So not that I have to say this for anybody actually listening to the show, Laura, but where can people find you if they're looking for you? What projects do you have?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man?
Speaker 4: You can find me on Twitter, even though I'm like never on it. At Laura bayle Villo on Instagram, the same way.
Speaker 3: You can watch me on Critical Role almost every Thursday. I have the Month and coming out soon, which I'm really excited about.
Speaker 4: I have a video game coming out called Stray Gods, which is it's a I'm just like pumping it up because it's so weird and cool.
Speaker 3: It sounds cool.
Speaker 4: It's a musical RPG game, so in like the vein of it's written by David Gator who did like Dragon Age, so he's like a master at branching dialogues, right, but instead of like branching dialogue, as you choose your choices, it changes the freaking music.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 4: And it's all a musical written by Austin Wintry who's an amazing phenomenal composer.
Speaker 3: And it's got like a really stellar cast and it's been just.
Speaker 2: Did you say yea?
Speaker 3: I saying it's a lot of a lot of music and it's when.
Speaker 2: Now do you know when when that's coming out?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh yes, yes, the REALA State did come out. It's August third.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great.
Speaker 3: It's super fun, super amazing cast.
Speaker 4: Look it up.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. And if you haven't started critical roles started on Saturday, you'll be done by Sunday with four seasons, which is great. It's super quick to walk now there are like nine hour episodes and so much fun that they really are. But Laura, thank you so much for joining us. We know how busy you are, and this is really really cool that you could be here and you know. One of the prizes, of course, is you know, getting to uh have a training session with Sam Regal and Mary McGlynn, who are two phenomenal directors. Gods, Oh so cool. That's okay, another singer. I'm just phenomenal. And this is what it takes everybody to be that perfect well rounded voiceover actor. You've got singing, you've got you know, incredible acting, you've got dialects, you've got it. You've got it, you got it. So that's what we are looking for. Everybody, So cool. Thank you, Laura, thank you Christy. Thanks for joining us. I'm getting there, which is which is good. I'm glad next week the show of Today's paper. You are in fact still with us and the ransom has yet to be paid. So that's your very very cool. We love that, everybody. Don't forget. Thank you everybody at CESD, Thank you everybody at Prime Video. Go check out season two of the Legend of Vox Machina. It is available now. It is phenomenal. The guest stars in that show are so good. I don't even know where to start. So thanks everybody for joining us, and don't forget. If you think you have what it takes to step up to the microphone and be one of us. Put your voices where your mouth is. Thanks everybody. I Hear Voices is hosted by Wilfredell and Christy Carlson Romano. Executive produced by will Fredell, Brendan Rooney, Amy Sugarman. Our executive in charge of production is Danielle Romo, Our producer is Lorraine Viriuez, and our editor slash engineer is Brian Burton. And that was my announcer voice.
Speaker 6: Some side effects of listening to I Hear Voices are sore abs from hilarity falling down the coco melon rabbit hole, sneezing due to mass nostalgia, and hugs.
Speaker 2: Follow I Hear Voices wherever you listen to podcasts so you don't miss any of the amazing voices.
Speaker 6: Be sure to follow us on Instagram and TikTok at I Hear Voices podcast.
Speaker 2: You can also check us out on MySpace, omegle Vine, LimeWire. Hey I'm a napster.
Speaker 6: Okay, well let's teach you about the Internet.
Speaker 9: Who