Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Overland Journal podcast. I'm your host, Ashley Jordano, and today i am joined by camp Yoshi, co founder Camp Chef and author of the new cookbook Cookout Recipes and Tips for the Great Outdoors for Shad Frizzer.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much going.
Speaker 3: On, yay man, I'm hontor to be here. Man, really good it can reconnect with you guys.
Speaker 1: So happy to have you on the podcast. I'm also very stoked because in our Overland Journal issue Summer twenty twenty six you were ov chef profile and you have a recipe in there, and so this is perfect timing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes. Since then a lot of things have happened, including this book launching, and so happy to dive into it all.
Speaker 4: And a special thanks to Nitto Tire for supporting this week's podcast. The Terrain Grappler G three is the third generation of one of Overlanding's most trusted all terrain tires. A new compound and tread pattern delivers improved wet traction and a three peak mountain snowflake certification. Improved uniformity reduces road noise while still ensuring performance on the road and in the backcountry and for even bigger news. The G three is now available and up to thirty seven inch sizes, but my personal favorite is the new two point fifty five eighty R seventeen that I'm testing on my Quartermaster. This is the first all terrain available in that size, and since payload matters, the G three is lighter than most competitive all terrains. Nitto backs the G three with their best treadwaar warranty ever, that means seventy thousand miles for hard metric sizes and fifty five thousand miles for LT and flotation. For more information, visit nittotire dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks nidto excellent. Let's start from the beginning.
Speaker 1: So, for folks who aren't familiar with camp Yoshi, what is it and where did it come from?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: Camp Yoshi is a six year old outdoor outfitter guide company. My background is a chef. I was a New York City chef for quite some time and once COVID kind of happened, uh fell in lovel to outdoors Man, Pivoted outdoors are cooking for friends and family, and Kime with this crazy idea around guiding and hosting clients for trips to place state know they needed to go to and camp out it and experience. And so the thought was, even if you're not laying outdoorsy or a camp being type person, you do love to eat. You do love good vieues. So pairing those two together, we've done pretty well for ourselves over the past six years is hosting folks and amazing places and cooking amazing meals.
Speaker 1: It's been such a journey watching the growth from twenty twenty till now and just seeing more trips and different destinations and of course this new cookbook coming out.
Speaker 2: What a ride it's been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been. It's been amazing, man. I mean, honestly, I never thought it would evolve into what it is today. I mean, I guess the initial launch of Campyo sheet was kind of is to buy time because I wanted to get back into the food business, and it's thinking that the state called COVID would be temporary, but it actually led to being one of the best pivots ever in my life. And I have zero regrets.
Speaker 1: Man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: At this point we do about three trips a year. We're primarily based here in Oregon, so the alber Desert Central Oregon, the ben region around here in Portland, but then we also branch out, you know, the Lacelle Mountains and the Utah or the Sanwa Mountains in Colorado. We're in Montana around Glacier National Park. We're heavily in Moab. I don't know. I feel like it's a lot of city folks that want to touch and we've been able to kind of position ourselves a brand that we offer more outdoor hospitality, software, landings for the newbie camper if you will, and it works well.
Speaker 1: I love that it's providing. From what I've seen, I can't wait to go on a trip one day when we're in an area where you are, but providing an opportunity for people like you said, who need that soft space or that sense of security to being outside and being at the of doors and maybe they haven't had that experience before or can do so in a safe space. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, they get to just show up and show out. I mean all the gear, provisions, guides, vehicles, I mean, honestly, I'll get to bring to your clothes. That's how turnkey the productions are. And I think too Listen, there's levels of obviously getting outside and guide companies. I think for us, the gap we feel is more so that softer landing around. If you just want to show up, not think about anything. That's where we've done it.
Speaker 1: What have you heard back from clients in terms of what's been kind of the most impactful part of these trips?
Speaker 3: Ooh, there's so much, man. I feel like the feedback from our trips is it's always powerful.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I guess it gives us a lot more emotional drive and want to keep doing what we're doing. I would say the most common responses, I never knew I needed it, Like I never knew I needed that experience. I never knew that this would be so impactful. What else? I never knew the f mills. I never knew eating outside could be so glamorous and luxurious. Not luxurious, but more so like so where there are oftentimes questioning do I eat better outside with Cambyoshi or with or when I'm at home in my apartment, if you will. I think the community aspect is a big part of what we do as well. People always read around and just to folks come on our trips we have We've been very lucky to attract just good people across the board man, and I think even from not just to campus, even our guides and mentors, like, there's been so many amazing folks. So it kind of helped shape Campyoshi's ideology kind of how we show up the places we explore. It kind of helping us figure out what's the best spot. It really kind of chase the.
Speaker 1: Vibe amazing And obviously, as you've been mentioning, a big part of that is the food.
Speaker 2: How have you.
Speaker 1: Gone from moving into this role that isn't new for you anymore, but in twenty twenty coming into this and camping and cooking outdoors for other people.
Speaker 3: So I would say in twenty twenty, my ego was like, you got to make all these amazing technical mills, and you get humbled very quickly that you know, you can't bring a lot of gear on these spaces. You don't have a lot of time. There might be a fireband, there might be something that disrupts the schedule. So I think at this point, fast forwarding six years later, I've gotten more intentional with the mills. I've gotten more I've gotten smarter around making meals that really aligned for schedule and not beaten down our crew or exhausting our staff also too, I think the mills have now reflect kind of the journey of the trip, so kind of going into the trip, we're kind of giving you a little more experimental items, and then by like the last day, we're serving up like an amazing smash burger, you know, because I feel at that point your body is just kind of yearning something familiar and just something very just you know, you just want to just dive into it. So we always joke that the itinerary and the mills are built around like the reward for your work. So during the day quick fast, we don't do lunches. It's always like charcooteries, something very light. We just want to have the dish. We don't have the uh, the washing machine, dish washing crew to keep all that stuff clean. So typically breakfast and dinner the main event, and then lunch is always charcuterie beverages, something kind of quick in light to kind of keep you going, but it makes you really year up for that big, amazing dinner at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Are there any favorites like recipes that you.
Speaker 1: Make time and time again that you just really enjoy or everyone compliments this is gonna.
Speaker 3: Sound so like not exciting, but breakfast tacos this tend to always smack. I mean, it's just one. The variations are always abundant, but it accommodies everyone's diet. We a lot of people have different dietary restrictions, and I think in the morning, man, we just want something very just heavy, but not like weight. You down a good taco. What a Friday ead goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 1: I like that because it's so simple, but not like you can add other things what you have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so simple also too, Like you know, where we're camping at, where we're exploring, there's not a whole foods out there. You're not getting a lot a variety of ingredients and whatnot, you know, so working with what you have a lot of these local markets and stores tends to kind of dictate the menu oftentimes, and so you know, I would love to do more, but I think it's kind of been fun to use what's available and make it the most creative item out of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering how much do you prep ahead of time for the trips and stock up back at base camp or base before you head out?
Speaker 3: So I would say prepping food is probably ninety percent of our entire menu. I would advise anyone getting into this business or cooking for friends and family for a camping trip, if it's just you or maybe one other person, go out there and have some fun, get crazy. But cooking for a group, there's just too many variables.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: So having things where you can just pull out of the medic refrigerator and just go at it and cook it quickly and like rehydrate it, re reheat it. It's always a nice little play to kind of have. I mean, even now it's like chef in year six, I tend to have more like in the event of emergency, break glass, make this dish. You know, it could be a bull of knese. It could be some type of soup or stew. It's been pre made. All of these requires is to be reheated up. I've definitely been the guy trying to make something from scratch out there, buying a whole chicken spatch cocking it than trying to grill it. It's just in your mind you think it's gonna go a certainly have a way with things. It's always come up. You know what I'm saying a camper, you know, are hungry now, or car breaks down, or there's a fireband, or you know, the wind's blowing so hard you can't even get enough of a flame and heat to tap into the actual grill. So I'm always, I will always try to flex and every mill we do. But I'm also very wise now that as much as you can prepare a home, the better.
Speaker 2: Nice and do.
Speaker 1: Your meals for the clients also are sort of similar if you go with your family or do you have a different kind of menu. Are you more casual or you want more on the fly on a trip with your friends or family.
Speaker 3: So I have kids, man, they they're kids, so they want the basic things, man, peeb and jays, some chicken fingers. I'll hook those up as far as from scratch. But I don't get as creative as I do with clients with my kids. My kids are pretty much like dead. That's cool. And then you get some duck comfeet and refrigerator, but can I just have a taco? Like seriously, man, So it's kind of humbling. It's very humbling, but at the same time, as like, your families don't really see you the same way. As your clients might do sometimes.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: So I have a question for you. So, traveling around you always find the ubiquitous onion, tomato, cucumber, pepper. I feel like I've been able to find those ingredients almost anywhere and maybe throw some cabbage in there. What are some ways to use those ingredients multiple ways and multiple recipes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think off jump, you could do some type of like stir fry or just something super simple sanwich ooh that on like some really really good like brioche bread, or like a loaf that's been grilled to be nicely, like layering around that you do almond in the mornings, never for tata do have fun there? Or just charcooter? You mean, those are all items that go really well for just little bites, not the onion, but more so the peppers and whatnot. But to your point, though, I love ingredients to have three, four or five uses, like I think for getting the most bandwidth and runway out of cooking on trips is you want to have multiple multiple uses out of one thing per se. And so to your original question, yeah, man, stir fries go a long way. I love a good sandwich, man, like I'll go out there with a love of bread, like a really good Dnse level of bread. It's freshly made, and I'll grill it off and butter it up and then maybe salty off the vegetables and topping around that kind of a kind of an open face kind of sandwich if you will, what else you know? I would stay away from stews. I feel like stews take so much time to cooks. Oftentimes you want quick fast, you know, you don't want long, long drawn items. One my personal philosophy is how do you have more time sitting down and joining your beer, Like that's the goal of being out here. It's not to be slaving cooking over a kitchen the entire time. Wrong, Like you get points for cooking, she don't get any extra bonus points for making boring cooking the hearts hard things. You know, I'm saying, prepping ingredients, chopping up vegetables. Do that at home, man. But like you said, if you only have access to those items, definitely go stir fry Omelets love a good breakfast toast with just an open face sandwich, throw a Frida egg on top, keep it simple.
Speaker 1: I love those and I like the way that you're you got so lit up when you're.
Speaker 2: Talking about that was so fun. I could see the creative wheels turning.
Speaker 1: And those were great tips because I'm like, oh, another salad that's kind of like a Greek salad but a little different, you know. So yeah, I'll definitely take those with me as I travel.
Speaker 3: Salads don't travel well for cooking.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I feel like, well, salad could, but I don't know. Man, you want hardy, you want hearty things that if the refrigerator a cooler breaks down, if something goes left, they can kind of hold their wait for the next day or half until you get ice or some type of chill environment. So it's a little tip there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: And to that point, do you have some favorite cooking gear camp cooking gear?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely so. Lately I've been really big on my hand wash station with the kids with campers. I can't remember the name of the product, but it's the demetic dispenser you've seen me before, the jug with the little tap, the little tap button, whatever, the top. I don't know. There's something psychologically powerful about having ability to wash your hands a camp you know, And I think most of our clientele women in eighty percent. It's kind of cool to be able to have like obviously have the camp restroom per se, but having a hand washed station it just kind of reiterates like we're not savages, Like here's nice little little treats and make you feel more cozy, comfortable.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: So that was some good soap. That's been a really good play for us lately, especially with having so many campers on our trips, it gets a little weird having multiple hands dip into the charcot re tray. So washing your hands before it is kind of extensive signal that oh, Okay, we're doing this together and I don't feel nasty or I'm being that, you know, disrespectful camper, just kind of just digging into all the food. What else? I love my Oh I gotta get no shouts to do metic Man, they're coolers. My CFX fifty five, I run a seventy five and a ninety five keeps a beer hole. We keep food frozen for those multi day trips. But yeah, my dimetic CFX is one of my go tos. We typically run three of those. And my off road truck. We have a truck called Jenkins is a built out van keeps everything kind of cool with the beer and the provisions. My Apron's been a really big fan lately. From the friends of our Earth Studies, we got an Apron for the whole crew, so it's kind of cool to see us all in uniform. When it comes to mill service, laste, I'm gonna give an oodated like chef Life. I don't really recommend plastic in any place in these spaces, but shout out to core containers, cork containers to prep food, stored away sauces, stews, you know, garlic conefee just all the things that makes my pantry really pop is the core container system and whether it be the full court half court, I have those all day every day. When it comes to gear, it's not really a typical overlanding camping tool you would see in the store, but from the chef lands, it'd be a cool little hat to kind of integrate into what you're doing as far as host seeing, camping and cooking for yourself.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: I remember so we were speaking, supposed to have been a couple of years ago. Uh, when I was in Morocco and we were doing the OV Chef profile and you're talking about crocs and you're like, these are not glamorous, but the crocs are amazing for being a camp chef at your feet all day.
Speaker 3: M No, crocs are such a great little footwear flex. I mean the reality is, and there was so many different slide options for just letting your dogs breathe. Folks on with your dogs, house your feet, but let your feet breed. Man Like, obviously you're working, but you should be able to also feel full little resort energy as well, you know, like you know, between you going from service to sitting down and join the camp fire, leting your feet kind of slide out. It's a nice little play, you know. And also too, I mean listen, getting in and out of a tent, you know, not bringing dirt into the tent. It's a much easier play to kind of pull off some crocs versus putting on some sneakers and tying them.
Speaker 2: I love that. That was a fun one. I remember, Yeah you were saying that. I'm like, that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love my crocs, man, Yeah, that's one of my I got a croc collaboration with a brand called Up actually is a designer and in's Lady Dembri. But he's a collaboration with Crocs. They've been on for a while, but they're like, why go to show? I got like a few colorways.
Speaker 1: Amazing. So do you have a camp chef vehicle setup? You were talking about the van? I feel like I saw did I see a riv Yeah?
Speaker 3: So our main system is Jenkins. He is a for all will drive two fifty transa van. He has a white foundation, but we wrapped him in black so he looks really tactical. Gave him like a three years lift kit. He's mom around and you know Ko Two's it looks really aggressive, man, But we like it that way. We don't have any logos. It's like, you know, we were the FEDS or we're just like, you know, a production crew. You don't know, you don't know, you don't know went inside the van. We booked it out to do to really just have power to keep all the refrigerators kind of going and you know, get the karaoke machine pop when we need to beefed up the alternator to kind of give it more power, to kind of top off the batteries and solar panel top. Very simple, but very intentional, built around it getting dirty, it being abused, but also handling all the weight of the provisions nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine cooking for that many people, you'll need quite a bit of power obviously, and room for gear and things like that. Is this the first built out that you've done for these trips or have you had other vehicles in the past.
Speaker 3: This was the first build out. We had a land Cruiser eighty series that we were also inerating into the trips. I think the problem with that though, is that we needed more reliability and we didn't really put the energy into that truck to make it the most sustainable, probably rigged to kind of keep that many trips going all the time. So right now Jinkins is probably the main tool. And then also I kind of started chocking the sauce Man. Ribban's been a big, big, big, big favor for us in terms of just I don't know, for our trips. Man, especially living on an organ in the beginning, was kind of hard to kind of we even with rivne into our trips, but with all the power banks, sorry, all the power stations to charge the ev it's been a much better play. And also too, you just can't you can't, you can't get away in the fact that it's basically an iPhone and a power power bank, Like you can plug anything into that truck and everything just kind of works. And so it's been kind of cool to have that as far as our little go to truck for you know, also giving a beer cole but also doing scouting for our trips around here in an organ hosting folks, uh, I mean most folks who know anything about obviously car camping and overlanding spend a lot of time on the highway trying to get to the trailhead. It's pretty cool to be able to be able to be in a in a car that quiet and that fast to this mob and I'm not suggesting you speed, but to be able to mob to the trail head, get there comfortably with heated seats, and not feel like he just came.
Speaker 1: Out of a.
Speaker 3: Wash machine riding in a truck for three, four or five hours. I love my eighty series, man, but it definitely comes with its vibrations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does the vibrations. Good vibrations. Maybe not so much all the time, good vibrations.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But you know what though, I mean, I think the romance of adventure and the romance of suffering, the romance of just what we do. It's a part of the beauty of it all, right, Like that's what makes the more mechanical analog systems just really really beautiful, you know.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Yeah, agreed. What are some of the most memorable trips you've been on? And it could be with kamp Yoshi, could be with family or friends, could be anything.
Speaker 3: We had a men's trip in the backcountry of Utah with Sinuway Xavier Man years ago, and I think prior to that we were just mostly seen around Low app proper, but with sin really pushed it out to the his side of canyon country, getting pretty close to the Utah border. Exploring areas was like, you know, Valley of the Gods and a bunch of other gems. But that, to me, it was spectacular. Man. It was two crews. It was with the campers and sun Guide, and then we had another guy go ahead of us and kind of locked down the swepts campsites, having everything kind of just ready to go. Stage ten threw up. That was one of my probably most favorite experiences. I would say next will probably be our first trip ever with Camboh's when we didn't really know what we were doing. We didn't really have any plan around what it was. We were naive, but we were curious in our curiosity outweighed our fears and we went out to eastern Oregon, man to the Alba Desert and that was pretty magical. We drove from Portland. It was a long push, but I think to see the glee and the wonder and just the joy out of all those folks who joined that trip, it made us. It gave us the confidence that this was something that we really could build upon. And so, I mean, there's so many trips man. I feel like at this point in six years, we would easily have done over five hundred trips between day experiences, mult high day, all the different campers, thousands of folks. Like, it's been a really powerful thing. We didn't realize it to be such such a such an important, valuable offering. But yeah, that's probably my favorite two of all time in terms of just the space we were in mentally and also what it meant for our just progression.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm.
Speaker 2: What did you eat?
Speaker 3: Oh? Easy? A lot of curries, a lot of stews for that first trip. One of the that's when the breakfastos got introduced. What did we eat. We drink a lot of whiskey. I'd probably say we consume a lot of our carbs via via beverage. But yeah, I would say breakfast scos were obviously a big hit. A lot of curries I did just really good short rib and this cure o sauce with pickle red onions is a condiment over some heirloom grits. That was a very impactful edition in terms of just a response abound, like how the hell did you make this? Like why are we eating braided short ribs? There's tenders you can imagine around the campfire with blue grits from South Carolina and it's the best mill ever. Those always slapped. What else I feecking lost? We cooked so much, man, I feel like always a good one. Some trout trout burgers, so obviously living in Oregon, fish around here in the waterways tend to yield a lot of amazing fish options. I said trout. What I mean to say is king salmon. Got some amazing king salmon from this region, brought it with us on the trip, and the King Salmon burgers just on a brioche bun little bit IOLI led us tomato, some pickles. Come on, man, come on, come on.
Speaker 2: Should do a food to be so hungry?
Speaker 3: But that's the power of the trip. Stuff Like I guess the value proposition can't Yoshi wants to deliver is do I eat better out here in middle of nowhere or at my house? And I think if we can make that lean more towards what we're cooking for you, and that the memory you're having at your cubicle weeks later thinking about that, you're like, damn that pants, Your chicken was so good. Our job is done. We've done our job. I've delivered on what it's been asked of us, even though camping is our medium. I think at the end of the day, we're just a really amazing restaurant that happens to have no brick and mortar.
Speaker 1: Tell me more about where this love for food and food preparation and serving others came from. Was this something that was within you early on, or did you have some specific experiences growing up.
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't really a big food as a kid. We're in college. It wasn't talking with in New York City. He was working a job where I was broke as hell. I was a banker, man, it was just was struggling to kind of make ends meet, but was also trying to date and impressed my lady was and my wife, I think going through the trials and ears of trying to obviously make her feel special led to me really falling in love with cooking. You know, obviously, living in New York City is very expensive, but there's a lot of amazing diverse food options and that sohol in that city, man. So you know, living in her harror, living in Brooklyn, you just kind of immerse yourself to all different markets and butcheries and just food ways, man. And so it was cool to kind of discover that while also trying to impress her. She'll probably tell you in the beginning, I burned a lot of mills. I couldn't even boil water, man, Like I was that bad. But kind of stuck with it, and you know, this kind of fell deeper in love with it, man. But yeah, it was all passion and trying to impress a lady. And obviously eventually now I kind of evolved in what it is. But yeah, my cooking prowess was YouTube videos, you know, Boone Appetite magazine, working in a few restaurants here and there. They kind of get my feet wet and making mistakes, getting yelled at all the above.
Speaker 1: And where does your food inspiration come from today?
Speaker 2: Has it changed? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would see my food inspiration comes from my background from North Carolina. So the South Southern cooking is obviously about It's a big part of who I am. Most people associate South of just frying food, but actually I would beg into difference. There's a lot of fresh ingredients, a lot of vegetables, a lot of kitchen gardens. You know, a lot of folks have modest backgrounds, man, So you know you go in siagarty store to meet market or to a produce spot to get stuff is not always very common for a lot of folks. A lot of people grew their own produce, especially with my grandmother. So that was a lot of my training kind of just introductions how I kind of see the world and food. But I would also say like a lot of just global flavors as well, man, like living in DC, going to school there, living in New York City. It is a melting part of the world. And so by default, what's ending in cooking the African day to ask for the Asian to ask for all these things kind of become a part of your decision making. It comes to like shopping in a grocery store. You know you're you're not just committing to one aisle. You know you're getting the best version of what you want to make that day, and your curiosity kind of just dictates how I cook. So I would say I'm a non genre based chef. I cook more based on feel. Living in Prolong, Oregon is definitely open up my palate a lot more to just more Asian options. Man, Like the food out are so good like and not just like at the top of the tier. Like the spirit gets really detailed as far as regional cooking and nuanced cooking when it comes to certain areas and certain a country. So I feel like that that allows for a lot more inspiration and just context to kind of dive deeper into the rabbit hole around cooking.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering, when you're scouting these trips or or attending them leading them, what kind of food surprises have you encountered along the way?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I would say the price of food in some of these places you can get really expensive, which is always which which is why I'm always a big advocate for like prepping as much as you can at home. I would say certain regions obviously have their own food ways. I've kind of I've kind of become a bit of a snob when it comes to like honey. It's kind of cool different go different places and kind of find like their honey options for that area. Like we were up in Callus Spill a while ago for a project and I was like, Dan, there's so many honey options up here. Obviously summertime, you know, the bees are being and uh, a lot of fresh honey is becoming kind of becoming a part of the food ways there. Obviously. Living in Oregon, the food waight heres are amazing. The fishing is just so strong and abundant. I kept saying trout earlier, but trout salmon, you can't really go wrong with that where else. Man, Let's talk about Bajaj. I think the best of vach I ever had is in Baja. We were in a beach camp and got brought by a yellowfin tuna and just started on the spot breaking it down for us. I was like, Okay, we gotta do with this.
Speaker 4: Make a talk.
Speaker 3: He said nah Man, a little lime juice, you know, some red onions, some cilantro, you know, let's have some fun with it. So I think it's cool to kind of go to different spots and just listen to locals and kind of see what their recommendations are. I think oftentimes we think about scouting and these strips based on getting intel on the best camp sites, where to kind of go for excursions of or hikes. Oftentimes I found myself trying to find out who are the makers and suppliers, is in the best food in the area, and seeing if you can kind of get that to tap into the trip, you know, whether it be baking bread, whether it be like you know, tacos or tia totillas, if our indigenous brothers and sisters and access to certain things and whatnot, like, how do you kind of tap into that to kind of add more literally flavor to the experience and also have stories and kind of share with the campers.
Speaker 4: Not a week goes by that someone doesn't reach out to ask how they can help support the podcast. We are supported entirely by the Overland Journal, the magazine. So when you become a subscriber to the Overland Journal print magazine. You get this beautiful book that comes in five times a year. It also gives you access to our digital archive, and it's well over one hundred pages of gorgeous images and detailed testing and adventures from around the globe. So if you go to Overland Journal dot com and you subscribe to the magazine, use the code Overland Podcast and that'll get you twenty percent off. It's only available to our podcast listeners. We don't advertise it anywhere else, and then you help us to maintain that independent, employee owned journalism that we have been famous for, so it allows us to conduct those tests without any advertorial Another way you can help out to I produced a book last year with Simon and Schuster called Overlanding one oh one. You can find it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble or even your local bookstore, and that encompasses my decades of travel around the world, all my mistakes and failures, and the lessons that I've learned in traveling around the globe. Many of those that you hear on the podcast have been distilled down into print form with great lists and beautiful imagery, So you can find that at your local bookstore. Overlanding one on one and thank you all for listening and for supporting us so much throughout these years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. How do you usually do that, do you?
Speaker 1: I guess in let's say Baha as an example, you would find that man who's selling you the fish and he's an expert on that, and ask him where he's sourcing his ingredients from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say just I think the best part of Cambiyoshi and Arts team is that we're all extroverts and gregarious. We've never met a stranger, you know, we just asked questions, man. I mean, I think most folks generally just want to break bread. We get people in. Oftentimes, if you're in a place that feels kind of foreign or remote, you oftentimes have more in common with a person around that area than you do different and so just straking up conversations, acting those types of questions. I think folks are always usually happy to share intel like that in any way we can kind of support the area too. I mean it's kind of cool to kind of put money into the artisans and the makers and the hunters and the you know, just the folks who are kind of just finding these food ways. And supplying them if we're lucky. Sometimes it's good to kind of get to certain spots where certain things are in season around produce and certain proteins. But yeah, I think I think the same way any of us want to do your due diligence to plan for a trip, ask questions. I mean, when y're one too, it was always about calling out, calling the DLA managers to kind of find out what's going on out there, any firebands you think you should be worried about, any concerns. And I think befriending of those folks led to us meeting other good people who just kind of shared more intel. And so now oftentimes you know, we'll pick up some moonshine. I won't I won't say the location in the place because it's legal, but like we'll pick up just little I don't know, bonus points and bonus supply items that were not really on the menu for camp but now they are because folks just want to support the brand and to me that philosophy and approach can show up. And where are you at, Kashstan? Where are you right now?
Speaker 2: Ye, Kyrgyzstan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Kurgis stand. So whether you're in kourgage stand or Baja or I don't know, Eastern Oregon. I think the philosophy in just the principle round just being a good human tends to open up some doors and some favors around where you might, you know, get some good moonshine or intel on some good fish.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: So I don't think our plan actually changes where we go. I think we just kind of use the same energy, and luckily for us it turns into good will and good favors.
Speaker 1: I really love that motto. It's like, be a good human, it willly do to moonshine, Oh.
Speaker 3: For sure, man, I mean listen, I think i'd feel a great bumper sticker, be a good but yeah, I mean even shouts out your thing. I think there's something always out there as far as pot of gold. So but yeah, we I mean listen, and I love what I do. I love what we do an amazing maybe to kind of do what we do, we can't be oshi. I had no idea this world existed in terms of just the access to spaces, the locations. I feel like, even though we're six years in from where I come from, it feels like I've seen everything. But the realities. We're just scratching the surface. Man. So my hope is always at the next six, ten, sixty years, you know, we can kind of really open this thing up and get them more spots and worker folks like yourself and other just folks who just always support us. I know, tapp into spots we need to existed or what he didn't know we needed to see.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm super excited for you to see. Where are the next six years? And you said and beyond, we'll take you.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: I have a rapid fire section that I'd love to take you through.
Speaker 2: If that's okay, let's do it. Okay.
Speaker 1: So this could apply to Campyoshi trips, This could apply to anywhere you've gone in the world.
Speaker 2: Best food, this is gonna be hard.
Speaker 3: Probably best food would be rapid Fire Spain.
Speaker 2: What in Spain?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maw Yorca, New YORKA New York and New yorka. Wow. Just the seafood, the fresh the wine, the wine, the wine. Yeah, when York is Spain, the pork very good, very good.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Worst illness, oh, worst illness would be I wouldn't say worst. I know this is illness dehydration. We over communicate water consumption on our trips. Man like a dehydrated camper. It's a terrible camper. And so folks coming in from the East coast, maybe they're a happy hour on Sunday, they get this on Monday, elevation gain has occurred. Next thing, you know, the thrown back more whiskey. Like, I needs you hydrated, because if you're hydrated, you can really lock in and be as present as possible. If you're not hydrated, it is least all types of the problems and ruins of trips. Everyone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the desert, it like hits you hard and you don't expect it if you haven't spent time there.
Speaker 2: So that's why most ingenious repair.
Speaker 3: Oh, most ingenious repair. Ooh oh, that's a hard one. Oh um, I don't know, it's a hard one. What's the jans repair. I haven't really had to have any problems around that. Luckily, knock you know, knock on wood. We haven't really had any problems around repairing anything. Everything's going pretty smooth around crazy catastrophic moments.
Speaker 2: That's great. We will knock on wood over here as well.
Speaker 3: Highest High Highest High Being in Vogue no, no, no, no, yeah, being in vogue, being in vogue, being in vogue, recognized as being one of the top premier camp adult camping, adult camping brands. We were in there last year, man, we were one of several brands and acknowledged and shitting celebrated, but being in there kind of just being caught out for, yeah, taking adults outside and having a good time.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Thank you appreciate that. Next is best best budget.
Speaker 3: Tips, budget tip, whatever you budget for at twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh man, Yeah, that's so true. That's so true.
Speaker 3: As a person that literally hops in and hopping off this interview and doing three decks going out for pitches, you gotta you gotta fluff it, man. You just never know what things are gonna happen, and even in your mind you to get everything tight at you know, and if they push back and say they can't do it, make your adjustments to still put twenty percent in there.
Speaker 2: Somehow love it.
Speaker 1: Current favorite piece of gear. I feel like you kind of already touched on this, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, current favorite piece of gear. I don't even really have one right now. I have so many toys. I don't know, I don't know I don't know. We have so many toys. They give it everyone who sends this stuff.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: That's the conclusion of the rapid fire question. Thank you very much for that. That was fun.
Speaker 3: Oh that was that was awesome. That was a nice still throw me.
Speaker 1: Off I under also, could you give me an idea of like some staples, like your absolute favorite staples in your overland pantry that you would never leave home without.
Speaker 3: A coffee coffee, coffee, coffee. I can't, I can't reiterate that enough. You know what tea as well, like some good premium tea, Like we have a lot more tea drinkers than ever on our trips. Man, maple syrup, Please don't do a favor, bring some good quality maple syrup on your trips. What else? Spend the money on a good level of bread. You'd be amazed at how easy that can be converted into some type of like a little quick snack, a breakfast item, a dinner component. It's amazing how it's wild how much your body, how hard your body's working in these spaces to compensate for just the wind, the heat, the steps you're taking, like you're just hungry and so having some good carbs, the good bread that can be added with, like some butter, or you get those some like garlic, coffeel there or something or some jam. This goes a long way. Whatever the staples. A power bank for your phone. I'm the king of my battery dying. Just having that available goes a long way. You ked about food though, Sorry, that was the kind of a deviation. My son threw me out for that question.
Speaker 1: It's all good. No, you need a power bank. That's one of my favorite things too.
Speaker 3: What else? Whatout? Rice? Rice? Rice? Rice? Rice rice? I am the king of buying pre made rice from like Chinese food spots, Asian food spots, putting into the cooler, letting it dry out. It is one of those things where making rice, whether you're at home or camping, it can always go left. It just never goes perfect. Obviously, if a rice cooker great, but something like rice, it goes well with everything. Just have it in your back pocket. Man, It cooks quickly when you rehydrate it. But this is pre made rice from an Asian food spot. Go buy you like three boxes. Having your cooler. You never know you might want to break it out for a quick little meal or an add on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else?
Speaker 3: Condiments? Man Like, if you're trying to buy condiments in some of these your most locations, you will get hit in ahead as far as pricing, buy in a city, buy it somewhere where it's you can get in bulk. You can save some money. Then lastly, hot sauce. Hot sauce is a long way. Yeah, you can't Chilua Tabasco. Whatever you're into. I don't know what church you go to as far as hot sauces, but just have it out there for yourself.
Speaker 4: And a special thanks to Hankook Tire for supporting this week's podcast. With Summer Underway, head over to expedition Portal dot com for Jeep Beach Vibe inspiration. Our team spent the weekend with handcookeed Dina pro Tire at this year's twenty twenty six Jeep Beachweak in Daytona, Florida, and took a look at their Wrangler three ninety two. Look for Jeep Beach twenty twenty six when you go to Expedition Portal dot com.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about your new cookbook called Cookout. How much fun was that to put together?
Speaker 3: Cookbook. Was it an incredible project. It's been one of the hardest things I've ever done before. What they don't tell you about publishing a book or writing a cookbook is so much of what we do as an instinctual and experience space, and so you're not really thinking about measuring and like documenting it. You're just thinking about more so feel instincts. And so writing those recipes down was very difficult to kind of figure out how they show up on the camping experiences for folks reading the book and the audience. But one thing I will say is that maybe really understand the importance of prepping at home. There are certain dishes you want to obviously have out in these spaces, but do the prep at home, and if you can, if you can't, it's all good. But the reality is the saviors of some time. I think I book helped me really understand how important is for me to get out to these spots but also enjoy myself and sit down and not be working the entire time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point, good point.
Speaker 1: What are some of the recipes you're most excited about in the cookbook?
Speaker 3: All great question. The recipes I'm most excited about in the cookbook would probably be the grilled steak with the cherry tomato con fee in the salsa verde. Really beautiful dish. Cool thing about the dish as well, is that designed to just be steaky. It can be chicken, it can be tofu, it could be eggplant, it could be cauliflower. The same logic kind of applies not to mention having the cherry cone fee tomatoes and the salsa verde. They're just great pantry items that just make your refrigerator. Your camp trips is more special as far as the sweet option goes to Tofoo Donuts. I know, sounds crazy donuts camping, but also to food Donuts. Don't knock it until you try it that with some pair of compo. It slaps every single time. It's unexpected. It's a sleeper, you know, make you question why didn't I have this dish before? I mean, I gret, I get it. Marshmallows and s'mores are great, but this is definitely the elevated camp fuit you never knew you needed. What else? We have some beverage options in there as well. You know, it's crazy. It's all the camp we do in the desert. I've always dreamed about having a really fresh ice, like just beveraged cold beverage, like a lemonade and coming from the South like lemonade stands lemonade with like an auto palmer or something like that, or like just something that very sweet and tangy and refreshing. I think it's kind of a nice flex for our trips man. So it's a really dope lemonade recipe in there as well. For the ridiculousness of camping outside and giving something to someone it's like they didn't know they needed. What else the sloppy Joe slap. You can pre make those at home and they can be reheated at camp. Those go really well for a quick meal and the fly on a brioche blunder just some regular bread and some pickle onions and some salad and some tred to lettuce, really good dish. Yeah, there's a lot of options in there, man. Look, the Coachbook is based on three different categories. It is obviously morning breakfast options right simple things based on you gotta get up quickly to get to a trailhead or meet or go on excursion, or you have more time at camp. Slow morning easy, you do want to do some pancakes with some French toasts, you know, things like that we can kind of sit around and really enjoy the ridiculousness of that dish. And then in terms of lunch, those are based on meals in a fly. Historically it can't be oh, she really don't make lunch. It just kind of throws a damper into the day as far as flow, So charcuteriers are typically a big play for us. But after charcuterier item items in there as far as kind of helping you guys season day that way. But also the sloppy jols is kind of really slapped as well, the tacos and then for the reward for your work, these are epic feasts. The steak I mentioned, grilled coffee rub fish in there, There's a bunch of curries. There's a pan ser chicken with an olive sauce of verde that I feel like to me as a sleeper in the book, I'm probably my favorite recipes. So honestly, there's levels to everything in the book in terms of how you want to show up on these strips, whether you want to be more entry level or get more ridiculous. But there's something there for everyone.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. I can't wait. I am hungry. I love all of us.
Speaker 3: I don't listen. I feel like, I mean, can you can test to this for as far as we travel, sometimes for a moment of view, a hidden location, a campsite, you you shouldn't just go there, as quander, I think you should also pair it with a really good meal. We pair, we pair wine with good meals, we pair you know, there's some good meals. Why not pair a campsite with an amazing view at a great meal. And so that's what the book's kind of based on. It's entry level. It's supposed to help folks who are new to the space also find their way everybody. I think for a lot of outdoor ogs you can find something in there as well that cand of help your trips be even more.
Speaker 2: Magical, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yay, I love it. I can't wait to read it. I'm excited. Yeah, those are great tips, So thank you for that. So yeah, I appreciate what is coming up for you this summer. I'm sure you've got some trips that you're doing. What's new, what's coming up for you?
Speaker 3: So this year we have backpacking experiences newly added to the Campyoshi Menuthough mostly around Oregon. We do have one in two weeks in Hawaii and Maui specifically up a introduction to backpacking. This is ultra light, so it's not your it's not your dad's backpacking trip.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: The gear is a smarter, lighter, more efficient, and so anyone who's ever had any curiosity around backpacking a teenagers, kids, adults, this is your introduction to that. And we have some amazing guides. The mileage and the distance covers very accessible, all the gears included. You just really just got to show up. That's a new thing we're offering this year. A lot more brand partnerships will be doing some really cool base camp buildouts for some ultra marathons. I won't say which ones. We're supporting some footwear footwear brand to kind of help make sure they're having soft landings for the runners, the media and some of the influencers attending. We just had our first one a few weeks back. It was amazing. We're basically building out habitats. You know, it includes food, the sleep, kids, listening room, masana like it's very ridiculous but kind of our dream camp site situation, so a lot more of those. This summer. We'll be in New York for a project bringing Camp Yoshi's vibes to the city, around three to five part series there, cooking off in the summertime, and honestly too beyond that, just book tour stuff. Man, I got to it kicks off May sixteenth in Atlanta. Oh so this is my shameless plug for the book. So basically for the cookbook Cookout, which is out now, please go pick it up. We have a book tour kicking off. This is the Phase one book tour. It'll be kicking off from Atlanta May sixteenth. I'll be the Rivian location at Pont City Market on May sixteenth from eleven to two pm. I'll be signing books, serving up some dishes. I'll be out there kind of just serving up this the vibe of camp and the book, and then from there I'll push up to Charlotte f for a Memorial Day weekend, and then I'll cap it off in New York City. But all these dates and schedule will be available on our website as well as campyoshi dot com and my personal Instagram page. So yeah, a lot of a lot of movement.
Speaker 1: Very exciting and yeah, a grate follow up question if people want to find you, You've alluded to it already.
Speaker 2: Where can they buy your book? And where can they find you online?
Speaker 3: So if you want to find her Shot Frasier, visit campyoshi dot com. Also on Instagram. We're heavily, heavily heavily on ig at camp dot yoshi. As far as my book, Cookout, it's available everywhere. When I see everywhere, literally Walmart, Target, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, Amazon dot com. Uh, it's really of it. It's everywhere, so please support it, buy it, use the recipes, tag us, tag me, and spread the gospel.
Speaker 2: Fantastic stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you Rashad for taking time out of your super busy schedule to chat with me on the podcast. It's been wonderful, so many meal inspirations, and I'm gonna have to make some tacos tomorrow morning in your honor.
Speaker 3: Make the tacos, tag me, and yeah, let's let's spread the word.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much again, and thank you so much to the Overland Journal podcast listeners for tuning into today's episode.
Speaker 2: We will catch you next time.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you all bye,