Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news. This is the Daily Choken with.
Speaker 1: Your home Jordan cl.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Dana Job, Jorge Level. We got so much to talk about tonight.
Speaker 5: Hunter Biden is officially a convicted criminal, and Republicans are somehow still bad. So let's get into headlines. Let's kick things off with July fourth. It's right around the corner, which means it's almost time for the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, the beautiful tradition where families gather to watch ups drivers from New Jersey scarf down hot dogs in ninety five degree heat and then vomit behind the Wonder wheel. But this year, one big name won't be abusing his digestive system for our pleasure.
Speaker 6: Joey Chestnut will not compete in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest next month. The perennial champion has been banned from the fourth of July event because of his reported sponsorship deal with the competing brand named Impossible Foods.
Speaker 7: Last night on X, Chestnut said he was gutted to learn that after nineteen years, he has been banned from the contest. Chestnut's endorsement deal with impossible foods and Nathan's rival that makes vegan hot dogs just doesn't cut the mustard.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, Nathan's You're gonna ban Joey Chestnut just for taking a sponsorship deal.
Speaker 4: He's got a family to feed and feed and feed and feed.
Speaker 5: And if you don't know Chestnut, he's the absolute king of this event. He olds the record of eating seventy six hot dogs in ten minutes, and they kicked him out just for sponsoring a vegan hot dog. By the way, the world record for eating vegan hot dogs two and a half.
Speaker 3: Frank later.
Speaker 5: Anyway, let's talk about the fallout from the big political story in the news yesterday. Hunter Biden was convicted of lying about his drug use when he filled out paperwork to buy a gun. Can I just say, how weird is it that in the past couple of weeks, Hunter Biden and Donald Trump were convicted of lying on paperwork. I mean, this country really does draw the line at filling out forms correctly. The next time I show up at a doctor's appointment, I'm gonna make sure my sign in time is on the fucking dot. So Hunter Biden has been convicted on all counts. I may even spend time in prison. I can only iagine that Republicans spent last night celebrating until the sun came up. Just because one Democrat was convicted doesn't mean the American legal system isn't being abused.
Speaker 4: Marjorie Taylor Green tweet quote.
Speaker 8: Hunter Biden just became the deep state sacrificial lamp to show that justice is balanced while the other Biden crimes remain ignored.
Speaker 3: Hunter is them sacrificing a useless pawn.
Speaker 7: Everybody knows what this trial with Hunter Biden was about.
Speaker 4: This is about smoke and mirrors.
Speaker 3: This is the red herring.
Speaker 4: This is a distraction.
Speaker 1: This is part of a cover up.
Speaker 9: This is part of a running protection racket from the highest levels.
Speaker 10: Of the US government downward to protect the Biden family.
Speaker 11: This is the decoy that they can say there's equal justice under the law.
Speaker 3: But it's all nonsense.
Speaker 11: Don't go for it.
Speaker 4: Don't let them sell you understand exactly what's happening.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make any assumptions about a guy's drug use, but if I was down Junior, I would not try to buy a gun in Delaware. Here's a genuine question for my Can you guys rest the conspiracy mongerine for just a second and.
Speaker 12: Squeeze a beat of joy out of this?
Speaker 4: I mean, my god, you're all so miserable.
Speaker 5: The last time a Republican had fun was when she was kicked out of the Beetlejuice musical.
Speaker 4: Let me think about this. Think about this.
Speaker 5: Your political enemy's son is headed to prison, and your mind immediately jumps to.
Speaker 4: He's just taking the fall for Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you something. Nobody is taking the fall for Joe Biden. He falls plenty on his own, Thank you very much. Just take the w When Donald Trump was convicted, you didn't see Democrats going I bet this is just a distraction from the classified documents case, or the January sixth case, or the Georgia racketeering.
Speaker 4: Case, or the E. G.
Speaker 5: And Carrol case, or the insurance fraud case. No Democrats were celebrating. I was in a Brooklyn Whole food when the verdict came down. People started feeding the bulk grains aisle. For more on the Republican reaction, we go live to the Delaware courthouse with Desi lyideck. Republicans had been demanding that Hunter Biden be sent to prison, and now they might actually get that wish. I'm surprised Republicans aren't happier.
Speaker 8: About this, Oh Jordan, you sweet little doe eyed fawn. Republicans aren't happy because they know that Hunter Biden is a sacrificial land being offered up by Joe Biden to distract everyone while he consolidates his nefarious powers to do socialism.
Speaker 5: So Republicans will only be happy when Joe Biden himself gets arrested.
Speaker 8: Then, Oh Jordan, you dear face, little dumb dumb Joe Biden would love to be in federal prison. Biden is time chain smoking on the toilet, consolidating his nefarious powers to do socialism, all while helpless Donald Trump rules from the White House. It's all part of the plant.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, the Democrats plan is for Joe Biden to go to prison while Donald Trump becomes president.
Speaker 4: That does not make any sense to me. Well, of course it.
Speaker 8: Doesn't, because you're too busy rummaging for nuts and berries and this sun soaked meadow. As you gallop right into the Joe Biden smoke screen.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 5: I'm a beautiful dare understood. So when will Republicans finally be happy when Joe Biden wastes away in prison and dies, leaving Donald Trump dictator for life?
Speaker 4: Then will they be happy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: That would be great for Joe Biden. Now he gets to be a ghost, unmoored by the laws of physics and time, able to consolidate his nefarious powers across multiple dimensions for socialism.
Speaker 4: Okay, so just to be clear, Just to be clear, Joe.
Speaker 5: Biden's master plan is to die while Donald Trump becomes a dictator.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, you're missing the whole point, Jordan. This was never about Joe Biden. He's just a red herring for the real mastermind, Barack Obama. He's just sitting pretty in Hawaii waiting for a multi dimensional Joe Biden to consolidate his ghost power.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, So now Obama is the one that has to be locked up.
Speaker 8: Oh sure if you want to get a mid level guy, because he's just a red herring for George Soros.
Speaker 3: And who is here?
Speaker 4: Who is he? A red herring for Hillary Clinton? And she's a red herring for Hunter Biden. See it loops back around.
Speaker 8: Right all the way.
Speaker 4: Desie.
Speaker 3: It seems.
Speaker 5: Seems to me that every time something that Republicans want actually happens, they just find some other conspiracy that keeps them in the pole position of victimhood.
Speaker 4: Why can't they just be happy, Jordan?
Speaker 8: If Republicans are happy, they can't raise money. What's the what's the email gonna say, Hey, everything's great, send us five bucks. Come on, you know how to hear you take infested by mother.
Speaker 4: That denied it to everybody. When we come back, Charlemagne the God will be here. Don't go away. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: We all know I've got great opinions, but I'm not the only one. Studies show that other people also have opinions.
Speaker 4: So here with another installment.
Speaker 5: I'm in my opinion as our good friend Charlemagne the God.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, man, Democrats have a problem. It's not their policies, it's not their fundraising. It's not that Joe Biden started buffering at the Junior teen Party. No, No, the problem they have is their messaging, or to say, a planner, is how they talk.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants to hear the normal political voice anymore. I'll give you an example.
Speaker 2: Republicans made abortion illegal and half the country, which is horrible. It should be a winning issue for Democrats. But here's how Democrats talk about it.
Speaker 3: Let me say it again.
Speaker 6: Past laws restoring the protection of rov wait for women in every state.
Speaker 5: That's what can be done under this on the If you're owner of the opposition.
Speaker 9: Every senator must take a stand. If you agree all Americans deserve access to contraception, then vote yes on the Right to Contraception Act.
Speaker 11: This Friday, June seventh will be forty nine years since there was a decision made in the in the in the role versus Wade question, Bro.
Speaker 2: Why is this sentence taking you forty nine years to say? How about try this instead? These religious nut ass Republicans want.
Speaker 3: To force you to have a baby period. And that's it.
Speaker 2: But I know, I know politicians aren't supposed to talk that way, but they should. In fact, before Democrats even worry about explaining their side of an issue, they need to learn something more basic, how to talk like real people. Yeah and I'm sure that possible. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and I'm sure that possible because you know it was good at it.
Speaker 3: Total nut asked Republicans.
Speaker 11: The Biden administration sucks, said communists, they're Marxists, they're radical left Democrats, they're sick people.
Speaker 8: There were riots burning down the country over George Floyd. And I'm really sick and tired of the bullshit innex I have to deal with constantly.
Speaker 2: You see that, You see that Congress could pay off the whole deficit by giving Marjorie tail A Green a sweag jar. Yeah, and yes, I know Marjorie Taylor Green is a whole fool's market.
Speaker 3: But that's authentic. Okay, that's real America.
Speaker 2: That's what a waffle house sounds like at three am. Okay, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, that's making a scene at Ann Taylor Loft because you can't make a return.
Speaker 3: Without the receipt. Same with Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Here's a guy who knows what he wants and knows how to get it. The message is terrible, but it's clear when he says, build the wall, lock her up, I hate sharks, No one goes.
Speaker 3: I wonder what he means. Okay. Folks appreciate when.
Speaker 2: Someone sounds authentic, even if their ideas are terrible. But with Democrats, even when they talk about the good things they've done. It sounds fake, and I know that they're capable of sounding real. I talk to a lot of these politicians.
Speaker 3: Behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: I hear how they speak when the MIC's not on, and it's two totally different people. Take Hillary Clinton during the twenty sixteen campaign, she sounded like this.
Speaker 13: Now, there may be some new voices in the presidential Republican choir, but they're all singing the same old song, a song called Yesterday, you know the one. All our troubles look as though they're here to stay, and we need a place to hide away. They believed in Yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Paul McCartney heard that and was like, John got the easy way out.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing though.
Speaker 2: Off to Hillary behind the scenes, and trust me, she's a real human. I know you won't believe this, but she can even say a great mother. Yes, I've heard it the way she says.
Speaker 3: Mother rival Samuel L. Jackson.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you she should have used it in public, like I'm sick and tired of my mother's husband on Jeffrey Epstein's mother plane.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, now that Hillary.
Speaker 2: That Hillary would be at the end of her second term right now, But Democrats only talk authentically when it slips out. In fact, DIM's had a viral moment in the House recently. It started with Marjorie Taylor Green doing what she does best, but it ended with a Democrat Representative, Jasmine Crockett, finally clapping back.
Speaker 5: A late night committee meeting devolved into chaos, with members hurling insults at each other.
Speaker 1: It quickly escalated into a heated back and forth.
Speaker 4: After Republican Marjorie Taylor Green my Democrat Jasmine Crockett's eyelash, I think your fake eyelashes are messing up on.
Speaker 14: Crockett later fired back with her own personal insults as Chairman James Comer struggled to regain order. I'm just curious, just to better understand your ruling. If someone on this committee then starts talking about somebody's bleach blonde, bad built, butch body, that would not be engaging in personalities.
Speaker 4: Correct, Oh what now?
Speaker 3: What? What now? What now?
Speaker 2: That would be a bleached blonde, bad built, butch body. Congressman, Okay, and you know what I love about this. Everyone was so excited to hear someone slamming Marjorie Taylor Green.
Speaker 3: Most liberals didn't even care that.
Speaker 2: It was sexist, it was homophobic, it was body shaming.
Speaker 3: It was like the nineties were back.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yes, Now, Congresswoman Crockett had a great moment that went viral because she showed something that Themocratic Party rarely ever shows, and that's courage.
Speaker 1: Yes, we.
Speaker 3: All hope is not lost.
Speaker 2: In fact, just recently, even Vice President Kamala Harris showed a glimpse of her actual personality.
Speaker 14: We have to know that sometimes people will open the door for you and leave it open.
Speaker 4: Sometimes they won't, and then you need to kick that door down.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, madam Vice president kicked that door down. That's how you know she's still a cop. She's giving little girls and no knock warrant.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And you know that type of talk is effective because conservatives immediately started clutching their pearls about her lack of decorum. Republicans are so hypocritical. It's not okay for Kamala to say, but it was cool for y'all to have a vice president named Dick for eight years. I mean, this was Trump last week in a church with kids in the audience.
Speaker 5: I don't like using the word bullshit in front of these beautiful children, So I won't.
Speaker 2: Say, my god, Donald, do you kiss your mistress with that mouth?
Speaker 3: Look?
Speaker 2: I know this is, you know, all a little off brand for liberals.
Speaker 3: They love to say stuff.
Speaker 2: Like hate has no home here, but you could at least give hate a guest room or something. All right, Let hate keep a toothbrush in your bathroom. And no, you should never hate someone for who they are, but it's okay to hate them for what they do, especially if what they do is hateful. Okay, like it or not, this is the age of hate. Kendrick said he hates Drake. Okay, yeah, Kendrick said he hates the way Drake walks, the way he talks, the way he dresses. And Kendrick won that beef. And if Democrats want to win, they need to turn on the Kendrick. All right, yes, yes, yes, turn on the Kendrick.
Speaker 3: Trump got a weird tase. Why is he around?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: And good news for Democrats they have someone who can help them with their messaging. When I heard Republican Congressman Byron Donald say some wild shit about black families and Jim.
Speaker 3: Pro I knew just who to call.
Speaker 2: Congresswoman Japmin Crockett, How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well.
Speaker 4: It's good to see you.
Speaker 3: Good to see you too.
Speaker 2: Now, a colleague from across the Aisle, Byron Donalds, recently said that black families were better under Jim Crow, which was a period of forced racial segregation.
Speaker 1: What would you say to that?
Speaker 14: Yes, I'd say, is it okay for Uncle Tom, Uncle Brooks? Or maybe under this scenario, an uncle Clarence to try to tell us what it is to be black in America, considering the fact that he is married to a white woman, kind.
Speaker 4: Of like his uncle Clarence.
Speaker 3: That would not have been allowed.
Speaker 14: So yeah, he probably needs to go back to the history books that they keep trying to take out of our classrooms.
Speaker 3: It's right, tell them out.
Speaker 5: The God Everybody is New book Get on Us or Die Line Why Small Talk Sucks is available now. When we come back, jereme O Harris will be joining me on the show Don't Go Away.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 5: I guess today is the slave right and they critically claimed slave Play in making his directorial debut with the new HBO documentary slave Play Not a movie, a play.
Speaker 12: Please welcome jereme O Harris, okay.
Speaker 3: The book.
Speaker 4: First off, congratulations on your directorial debut.
Speaker 1: You thank you.
Speaker 4: I saw it last night. It's fantastic.
Speaker 5: For now, it's it's a movie based on a play, slave Play for folks who didn't know slave Play twelve tony nominations in a nutshell, what a slave play for people who didn't weren't cool enough like myself to go see it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 10: I say this in the dock and I'm going to keep saying it till dad die. I don't tell people what slave Play is about. No, I mean it's it's you know, listen, it's more fun if you don't know, if you go on a little confused.
Speaker 1: But you can also just go to Wikipedia. If you on Twitter, just post the Wikipedia article.
Speaker 5: I was in New York when Slave Play came out, which was just before the pandemic. When it when it moved to Broadway, and it was it was it was all the talk.
Speaker 12: Nobody would tell you what it was about.
Speaker 4: But people were angry.
Speaker 5: People like it was great, but it was something that I think you found unity and that you pissed off people of all races.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, I'm a Gemini, so I'm an equal opportunity offender.
Speaker 1: People are like that guy all the time. Can you say that here? I don't know.
Speaker 12: You can say whatever the hell you want. Great, right, So you do slave Play?
Speaker 5: Right, But then you make a documentary about slave Play? Why make a documentary and why night write a book? Were you afraid Florida would ban it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, Actually I was afraid my homestate, Virginia would band it. I mean, like, who knows most of the places I've been are banning the books. But no, I didn't want to make a documentary to begin on.
Speaker 1: I didn't know.
Speaker 10: I literally the title of the movie comes from an email I sent to a very big movie studio.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say which one you can guess? You can guess, I guess.
Speaker 4: Try Warner Brothers.
Speaker 10: Now, I'm just kidding. They know, but they they're like, we want to make slave Plan into a movie. And another one was like, we want to make slave Plan into a TV show. And I said, slave Play is not a movie, period, it is a play, period and sent it And then when HBO, so.
Speaker 1: Here's what nitty gritty.
Speaker 10: In twenty twenty, our play left the Golden Theater because it was gonna close early. I mean because another show was coming in. Mart McDonald show was coming in, The Hangman. Sorry, this is long, it's so stupid.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the Hangars coming in. We couldn't go. We couldn't be in that theater anymore.
Speaker 10: And then someone was like, hey, another played this on Brobbe right now is going to close early, so you can take that theater. We were like what, and they're like, yes, you can sign the papers March fourteenth, twenty twenty. We're like yes, and they were like and they were like, all you need to do it is an extra, like I don't know, I'm gonna say a number, but it's probably not real fifty thousand, and I was like, great, I just signed a deal with HBO. HBO does documentaries. My friend filmed the last day. My friend was a very famous documentarian. He had filmed our last performance. I was like, what if the documentary is like they're closing. No, no, oh, it's so sad.
Speaker 3: Then bam, it's open to get on Broadway.
Speaker 1: You never expected that.
Speaker 4: For a black play.
Speaker 10: So so I was I was gonna do this little hat trick documentary. And I signed the papers and they gave us some money. And then March fourteenth happened and I was stuck in a home in I was stuck in a place in Finsbury Park in London.
Speaker 1: I was I had COVID in London.
Speaker 4: That's lovely. It was a very British.
Speaker 1: Review, guys.
Speaker 10: I only did it because I didn't want to. I wanted to get an alien environment. I didn't want to be like I didn't want to see like, you know, Canal Street empty, like that would be that would actually mean I was in a horror movie. If you don't see those little weird little upside down buses like on the street, you don't know.
Speaker 1: That it should be there.
Speaker 4: Wait, do you think double decker buses are upside down?
Speaker 3: They look a little upside down.
Speaker 10: I feel like it's like if someone made a double decker bus a cake, they would call it like some sort of version of an upside down or like inside out like a.
Speaker 3: Topsy turvy game.
Speaker 4: Are full of shit.
Speaker 1: Anyway. So then twenty twenty one comes around.
Speaker 10: HBO calls and like, hey, we wrote a check for your for you to write this documentary. You cash the money during twenty twenty where's the doc? And I was like, oh, yeah, got it. I'm supposed to make a dock and so then the next the last three years, I've been learning how to make a movie by making this doc. And the doc is just it is just theater supremacy. Like I say, it's not a movie, it's a play. And the whole spoiler alert from my movie, guys, the end of the movie basically articulates why plays are better than movies.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know.
Speaker 10: Listen and as I say there, one art form is new and one art form is old. We've only been making movies since the beginning of the twenty ofth cent. They're already trying to take that away from us. They're not trying to get computers to make them now, so I'm like, they're not going to give computers to make plays. People barely see them, no one wants to pay for them. So cheap making plays and changing lives of people are everywhere.
Speaker 1: And speaking of which, this is a lot.
Speaker 10: But I'm producing a play right now. It's called Invasive Species. It's at the Vineyard Theater. And I want to give you this hat and merch merch.
Speaker 4: Go to a play like your mind change and leave with some fricking merch invasive species.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: Do you do articulate in the movie why you Love Theater?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: And I will say we talked a little bit backstage, and it is true. I went to go see Slave Play with my wife and a friend and we left slave Play and we were like, we need to go talk about this.
Speaker 4: And you don't get.
Speaker 5: That with a lot of a lot of a lot of experiences anymore, right, we really make space to actually try to parse something and try to find where the meaning is what it meant to us. And I think Slave Play was one that pushed a lot of buttons but started a lot of conversations like, yes, you're a theater supremacist, but.
Speaker 1: You are the only supremacist you can be.
Speaker 5: That's a yeah, it's a good one, right, Yeah, if you're gonna pick one, But how do you still use the I used the medium of film to start those conversations.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean I think that like one of the things that I grew up on was like this sort of theatrical effemora that like sort of created a generation of people who like theater. I mean, the people who are watching the plays on Brober right now are all a golden generation of people who are the same age as every congressman and senator, meaning that sure they're.
Speaker 1: Not long for this earth, yes, and they're amazing. But when they were seeing when they were seeing.
Speaker 10: Plays, they were also going home and watching television shows or hearing radio plays on the thing, and theater was everywhere around them. We had, you know, we had a taste of it with like inside the actress studio or like those amazing like Udha Hog and videos of her like talking to weird actors and smoking in the room, and like there were like you know, Company, the Pennybaker doc where you saw like you know, all of these amazing, you know, phenomenal actors struggling and failing in front of you to make the company soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Company was a.
Speaker 10: Failure on Broadway, but they made a documentary about it when it came out. Because people care about the a Femora Theater. What happened when live people got together and did a thing right. And now the only time we do that. We care about you guys. You guys are great comedy. We let comedy do it.
Speaker 12: But like thank you a pretty scamanna.
Speaker 10: But I think that like as a culture, we should care about the live theatrical experience outside of just SNL, the Daily Show, you know, mad TV when it was here. You know, we should care about We should care about the people in Oklahoma who like, are gathering around to tell the story of Black Wall Street in a play in the middle of Tulsa.
Speaker 1: Because that play, it.
Speaker 10: Might seem small, it's not as big as a movie. It won't be seen by two hundred million people. But the two hundred people a night that see that play will leave talking about it, even if they're talking about how much they hate it.
Speaker 4: And what do you think that is? Though?
Speaker 5: Like, I mean, I totally agree with you, But do you think that is because it is a communal experience because we are all in a space together, which we also get in movie theaters. And people still talk about how horror films do so well because you have this shared fear in a space, and comedy films do well in that sense. Or is it or is it the the fact that film has gotten so good at replicating reality or taking us to feats of fantasy and that theater still lives space for for imagination that we can't fill in.
Speaker 4: The gaps like where do you see the special sauce in that.
Speaker 10: I think that, Like, so, there are definitely filmmakers and films that like, don't ask you to have a passive imagination.
Speaker 1: A lot of films do, though.
Speaker 10: I think a film that required you to like lean in past your your passivity was like don't Adventures from Last Year? Right, A movie that like like, you're you're in that movie and he's holding onto you tight, He's like, can you better watch and make sense of all this and fill in the blanks yourself, right, because there's a lot on the corners you had to fill in. Most movies don't give you that space. They don't trust their audience enough. Players have to the by the very nature of being going to play. If I'm going to play and I tell you that I'm going to Mars, You'll believe it, whether there's special effects doing it or not, because I've just told you I'm going to Mars and you have to buy it, because I think the contract you I'm going to a theater.
Speaker 1: Again. That's why a lot of people don't like it.
Speaker 10: It can be bad, like see like I'm low on the Mars You're like, no.
Speaker 5: I mean there is something too that that moment is an invitation to the audience and we all have to agree on the inherent silliness of believing something yes, right, and.
Speaker 10: But that conversation that belief inside of a micro community right, It is so necessary for the for political change in my opinion, because I think that when you when you when you've worked really hard to see the same thing with a bunch of people around.
Speaker 1: You, when you leave, you want to engage.
Speaker 10: With them to talk about how the ideas inside of the thing you just you just saw or whatever can be tangibly made manifest in reality and not just in this fantasy you've engaged.
Speaker 1: Do you see it?
Speaker 4: And that's interesting?
Speaker 5: Do you see that you see that as possible in film or or wider wider art forms that can reach more people. And is the is somebody dropping the ball on that like doing or are we not engaging the ability to use some of these other art forms to have these conversations to act more?
Speaker 1: I think are people are doing it all over?
Speaker 10: I mean, like there's amazing painters, amazing performance artists, amazing musicians who gotting, like you know, Mustafa the poet just made this amazing song that just came out the other day that I think it's galvan is an entire entire community of people around like thinking about Goza in a different way on a musical level, right, I think that like one of the things that one of the things I don't want us to lose, though, is like in our in our in the ease of Netflix and and Max and whatever channel you're watching this on, I don't know, you might.
Speaker 1: Be streaming it or stealing it, streaming stealing.
Speaker 4: Whatever we're watching it literal COmON Central, thank you.
Speaker 10: Very much, But no matter how, no matter how you might have gotten this, I don't I don't want the other tools in our toolboxes as a society to get lost along the way because this is easier, right, Like going to a theater is hard. Getting forty people together to make a thing happen every night for for weeks is difficult, you know, and and and and yet it's a necessity because I think it It helps us see, It helps us se imagine in a different way, and the same way that a painting helps you see an imagine a different way than a novel, the same way that like a novel helps you see an imagine a different way than a poem. And what a poem can do in forty words, is like so delicious. You don't want that to fall away just because like I don't know, we can tweet now, right, I mean.
Speaker 4: Which is still pretty fun?
Speaker 3: Is that? It's so fun? Agur it?
Speaker 5: Slaveh play is about to open in London, yes, right, and there's been a little drama in London.
Speaker 1: Oh god, oh.
Speaker 3: God, I try not to talk about this.
Speaker 4: Well, you're on TV now, man, buckle up.
Speaker 1: I did. I did give you the hat, so I think you give me that. You gotta give me the drama. A drama you do.
Speaker 5: Just have to call blackout dates, right and I'll let you what is it? What is a blackout date?
Speaker 1: So okay, I've done.
Speaker 10: Okay, London, Hi, I'm so so so so sorry you think.
Speaker 3: We have that reach.
Speaker 4: I think we really are speaking in London.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Listen, this is television, it's not a theater.
Speaker 12: It can go everywhere there go speak to speak to love London.
Speaker 10: I am so so sorry that my BBC interview about a thing I had done in London a year.
Speaker 1: Prior calls so much ire this time.
Speaker 10: I don't know why I didn't do it to cause any ire, but I do think that, both in America and in the UK, thinking about the architecture of who's in your audience matters.
Speaker 1: Right, Having an audience of.
Speaker 10: People like this is what comedians do every time they have someone come on and warm up the audience, and they warm them up specifically, right, Like, if you're gonna do like an audience of like college bros, you better arm whoever's going out there to know what.
Speaker 1: Kind of humor gets them going. Right.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think that we have to think about the architecture of the audiences that we've invited into a play. My play London is a really intense play about race, trauma, colonization, et cetera. And because of that, when you are a black person or a brown person in that audience, it can feel complex to sit next to a white person. Now, that complexity was a part of the play. I wanted that. I love a mixed audience. That's how I grew up, That's how the plays. The play is a mixed play. Yet I had an audience member asked me what would this feel like to see the show with only black people? Can you give me that? And I said, why not? It'll only be one or two nights so we did two nights where it was where I only invited black people. Now you could come if you want to do Tanya Pinkins brought a white friend. She was like, I wanted to know what it's like when I go see a check off play. And I was like, that's great, but it was mainly black people. It's Kiki Palmer was there. It was like, you know the kid from NYU that DM me the night before, being like me and all the Black Student Union want to come. And it was the first time that I saw my play and everyone, everyone in the audience laughed when I laughed when I was writing it, which was crazy because when you see my play, and I think there's a lot a lot of times that white people are nervous about when they're laughing, and when black people are nervous when they're laughing, and no one wants to give the other people permissioned to laugh because like you see laugh what you're laughing at, and then you laugh and you're like, well, what are they laughing? And it's like becomes this whole thing. You see the races. That was a little the racial voice play I did there, but but it's crazy. Thanks guys, you're also seen.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think what you're when you're speaking to is something that there is a play that's happening on stage right. But what is also compelling in this experience is the tension that we're experiencing in the theater. And if we're given this space to articulate that and think through what we are feeling based on what we're seeing other people react to that and of itself is a separate performance, and you're trying to curate that in a different lens.
Speaker 12: That's how I came up with the why didn't you tell London that?
Speaker 1: Because I didn't. You did it, You did it so well.
Speaker 10: No, But at Yale, when I did this way Yale, which is like a part of the thing, I don't I.
Speaker 1: Should put this in the movie. Yeah, you know what, I wanted the movie to be short. I don't think the movie should be that long, So.
Speaker 4: Think about sequel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be in the extra bits on HBO Max.
Speaker 10: But but when we did it at Yale, it was the first time I was woke class at Yale, like the class where they told us this is the most diverse we've ever had a student body at Yale.
Speaker 1: For the first time ever.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's the same number of men and women in the class of actors.
Speaker 3: Who are like what in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: Absolutely were they saying that while they were patting themselves on the back.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, absolutely, and no shades are our teachers. They were great, they were they were trying whatever. Anyway, we had a lot of people of color and women for the first time in our in our class. Again, for years, no acting conservatory in the country had as many women as men. You know, why not as many roles for women? What are gonna do with all those women? There's not no roles. Instead of just saying why don't we find plays where there or invite writers to write more roles for women by just having an influx of them.
Speaker 3: They just said we need less. We have three sisters.
Speaker 1: We only have three sisters.
Speaker 12: Sisters, So anyway, it's uncle Vin, it's not Vine.
Speaker 3: Keep moving.
Speaker 1: But at Yale, one of.
Speaker 10: The cool things and things about going to Yale is that you're in a community. You're in a full town called New Haven, where there are people who saw Lapita and Neango do her first play at Yale. So not only are you watching people like not only are people who were watching all the students play as the student body. It's also a bunch of like older, mainly white people who have seen every play that's ever been at Yale watching the plays too. And my play was in a three quarter thrust. And when Slave Plays started, because it was so small, you could see everyone seeing everything. So imagine seeing like thirty young black brown kids right here and then right across the road rope for them, also lit by the lights, like fifty older white people just like looking and like and the laughs are like ha ha, and then everyone gets really nervous and scared. And then people felt implicated because they're like, why are they looking at me so much? They're looking at me so much. It's like, no, they weren't even look at you. They're looking at the play, but it looks like they're looing at you because they're looking right here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And so when we did the when we were doing playoffs, like the play has happen in the round, it has to happen in the round.
Speaker 1: And New York Catey Workshop was like, we can't afford the round.
Speaker 10: But Clinton ram and Robert O'Hara my director, and my director is Robert Clint is the set designer, We're like, we got this. Put those mirrors back there and mirrors behind it all and the entire show. You get to watch people watch the play, and like that becomes the play for me in so many ways, like watching people.
Speaker 1: Squirm.
Speaker 10: It's fun for me, yes, and it's and it's fun for other people. Yet like the first time you see you'll be squirming.
Speaker 1: You won't like it. It'll be like, I don't know how I feel about this.
Speaker 10: But then the second time you come, the third time you come, you get to watch everyone else you like, I know the secret and you know.
Speaker 5: And for a narcissist, it's great for me because I can just watch myself.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at you, you look so great, blue eyes beautiful? Right they are? They are?
Speaker 3: You get those guys.
Speaker 4: See, these are the type of conversations we should be having.
Speaker 5: The documentary Slave Play not a movie, a play Well debut June twentieth, HBO and available to stream on Max.
Speaker 4: Also go see Invasive Species. This is Jereme o'harris. It's gonna take a quick as I show to die now here it is you're mothering.
Speaker 1: A dad this time of year. I can't wait to get home because June.
Speaker 9: Is a very special month for this body and for the United States.
Speaker 3: June is dairy month.
Speaker 4: So good afternoon and happy cheese day to everybody.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 4: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 11: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 3: Plus Paramount Podcasts.