Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, President Trump for poorly said he is in no hurry to end the war with Iran, and a US naval blockade on Iranian ports is putting pressure, at no doubt about it, on the country. President also warning that if Alman gets in the way, we will bomb the expletive out of them. Fill in the blank. I'm sure you can figure it out. Also said back channels with officials from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard remained open, which was later denied. And then you know, we've just got kind of back and forth. There's new in Lebanon. We've got to remember Israel and their role in all of this. It's a full plate and a reminder that this war, which I think some Joe I think early on might have thought it would have ended quickly, we are now almost six months in.
Speaker 3: Yes, six months, I mean that's crazy to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some talk about this as a forever war. Let's get to our Washington round up a lot out of the nation's capital. We head to our Bloomberg News Washington DC News. You're into Bloomberg White House and Politics team leader Jordan Fabian Jordan, as always, there's a lot coming at you, guys. They are in DC. Iran in the United States, where to begin feels like we're not necessarily moving closer to an end. And yet some say it's always darkest before the dawn. How does the White House see it? What are you guys hearing?
Speaker 4: Well, we should take stock of what's happening today, which is that sixty days ago the President sat in Versy Palace and signed that Memorantium Understanding, essentially saying this is over, We're going to move toward an agreement to reopen the straight of horror moves and we're moving on. And now we're sitting here and their US is still stuck in the quagmire there. The Strait is still close to a lot of maritime traffic, restricting oil supplies, and the President has no real way out of this with Iran digging in its heels, and so the White House is saying they're going to continue with economic pressure. Scott Bessent tease some developments this week, perhaps, but it's important to remember that Iran has been under sanctions for years and it hasn't changed their behavior. So it's hard to see how this new approach quote unquote by the President is going to yield any new results.
Speaker 2: And once again we do know that we hear from the President Jordan talking about the Strait of Hormuz a territory, not the first time, right, and he chuckled. I think the first time he said it. I don't know the more time you hear it. I don't know that they think. The Iranians think it's too funny.
Speaker 4: No, he could very well do some thing reckless, do something along those lines. It's unclear to me how that would change the reality on the ground, which is that, yes, the US has opened a maritime channel south near Oman, but Iran controls the middle and the upper passages. There's still concerns about sea mines, and if the US wanted to really take control of the Straight, they would need to occupy land on the Iranian side of that waterway, and that now we're talking about a land invasion of Iran by US forces, and that would certainly mark a huge escalation of this conflict in one that the President hasn't wanted to take before. So I still think that he's essentially saying this is a tongue in cheek thing that he's labeling it the US territory, but it's not really going to mean much if there's not an increased oil flow out of that waterway.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I think he says something Joe just kind of get a feel of how people in the markets read it, But who knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that certainly has been the case with him many times. You know, Jordan, you're in this every day. You've done this a long time, You've covered both of these his administrations. I think for people in the markets and generalists who are not necessarily you know, trading every day, right, they might just feel like this is just another headline, another part of the slog. But how can you parse what we're seeing right now as to how this is not just part of the slog, this is something new and what direction we're headed into right now?
Speaker 4: Well, Joe, it's an interesting question, and I do have a question about Trump's credibility with markets moving forward, given all the pronouncements he's made throughout this conflict about how close the deal is, and even the MoU didn't really pan out to be much. It was pretty much dead within three weeks. And even the other week he announced that he had an agreement with Hamas in Israel to disarm the militant group there, and that turned out to be nonsense. Also, it was essentially a fake deal. Hamas said that we're not going to do anything until Israel withdraws. Israel said we're not going to withdraw until hamostis arms, and we're still at square one. So it's increasingly harder to take his pronouncement seriously.
Speaker 5: You still have to.
Speaker 4: He's still the president of the United States, he still commands the world's most powerful military. But he's made a lot of pronouncements about things are going to happen that haven't really panned out.
Speaker 3: Your point on taking him seriously, I mean, how do you think right now the shijin Ping and Chinese officials are viewing this.
Speaker 4: I mean, the problem for them and for markets and people in general is that Trump has followed through on enough of his threats that you do have to take it, you know, seriously, And then the question is, like you there's always this debate about seriously versus literally is he going to follow through this time? That's a hard gamble to make. But it does appear that he's promising these things that.
Speaker 5: He can deliver.
Speaker 4: And I think that's every foreign leader that's dealing with them, whether it's Jijinping or the leaders of Iran, or even Kim Jong un. Giving this new threat on South Korea, you have to be wondering, like, what is this guy about, Like is he just gonna, you know, tear this up the minute he finds it inconvenient if you sign an agreement with him. I mean you've seen this with the trade deals he struck with US allies last year. So it's just an increasingly reckless, you know, administration, and it makes it very difficult to deal with if you're across the table from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it certainly keeps everybody on edge, and certainly global leaders or at least uncertain about what's next or what's real. Hey, on South Korea, let's go there.
Speaker 6: Jordan.
Speaker 2: President Trump telling the Pentagon to quote substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, signing the cost of the drills and his quote very good relationship with North Korea's leader at Kim Jong un. What's the read on this? And I mean, Shana's going to be watching. We keep thinking about China, watching dwindling military and defense supplies here in the US as we continue to fight wars, the war in Iran and moving stuff around. So help us understand what we need to know here.
Speaker 4: Well, we've been hearing for a decade now about this supposed pivot to Asia that was going to happen for the United States, where the US is going to focus its power more in that region to counter China and its advances there and away from traditional hotspots like the Middle East. And this is an exhibit a of how that has failed, where you have the president bogged down in another Middle Eastern conflict that there's no end in sight, and his reason for pulling back support for South Korea is that they didn't offer him the military aid in Iran. So it's all coming back to this conflict that you know, we need to remind people he started in February and I really had no exit strategy to get out of and so you're seeing this reverb rate. Now now to South Korea, which is one of the key US allies in the region. It's a country that this administration is said they're looking to to help revive the US shipbuilding industry. How does that all affect the administration's ambitions with South Korea given this latest outburst by the president, Just.
Speaker 3: Real quickly, Jordan on the South Korea point, I mean, when we read between the lines, how should we interpret what the President is saying there?
Speaker 4: Well, he's put it pretty clearly, which is that he has value his relationship with Kim Jong un, the leader of North Korea, more than the US's his traditional alliance with South Korea. And you know this could change tomorrow the South Korean's good offer him a concession and he could say, well, I've always been friends with South Korea. Now we're going to increase the military jeels again. But it again goes to the point we were talking about earlier of reliability and if you make a deal with this administration, is the President going to keep it or is he just going to change his mind on a whim. And again it points to the increasing unreliability of the President's public statements, and it arose to those alliances.
Speaker 2: Right in the past. Doesn't necessarily indicate what might be done in the future, which makes it a little tricky for the world, so appreciate it. Jordan Fabian, White House and Politics team leader for Bloomberg News. He's there in our DC News bureau. When we come back, we're going to kind of stay on this topic more in geopolitics. Everything we discuss what it means for those all important global relationships. That's next.
Speaker 7: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five East during listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US Live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: But to headlines, Joe and I've been talking about them. I feel like we just went over a lot of stuff with Jordan Fabian, our White House and Political team leader. Just to remind you if you're just joining us, US are on peace prospects dimming with President Trump and no hurry for a deal. He's also threatened to bomb mom On if he gets in the way of the US This is coming from Fox News. President Trump reducing US South Korea drill citing a lack of help on Iran, and then we've got just some different stories going on. It just thinks, you know, national security. I keep thinking, Joe, are we a more secure world here in the US or just globally? Are not necessarily?
Speaker 3: Wow? It really depends on who you talk to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Maybe if you're in a bunker far, far away, well.
Speaker 3: I mean even internally in this administration, right there are people who feel like we are not. Yeah, there are people who think we definitely are. So the divide is stark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, which is kind of what we want to tackle with our next roundtable. And lucky for us, we have with us our own Nick Wadhams, his national security reporter for Bloomberg News. He's out there in our Washington, d C. Bureau also with US and in the DC area. Mark Hansei and He's Senior Advisor Defense and Security Apartment at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. He spent time at the Office of Management and Budget, spent more than seven years as chief of the Force Structured and Investment Division. He worked on Department of events, budget strategies, and different issues. It's a great roundtable. Nick, I want to kick it off with you. I'm going to start big and broad. Are we a more secure world? Or are we less secure?
Speaker 5: Or tbd?
Speaker 2: I never give you easy questions. Do I figure it out well?
Speaker 5: Listen. I mean, if you look at the pure metrics.
Speaker 8: Of the Iran war and the Strait of Horror moves, you would have to argue that we are not. Of course President Trump would argue differently, but you had a sort of status quo prior to the US attacks.
Speaker 5: On Iran where oil was flowing through freely through the Strait, and now it's not.
Speaker 8: And this has been really one of the problems that has bedeviled the president. Of course, his administration continues to claim that it's Iran that wants a deal, that he's in no rush, but there are some suggestions.
Speaker 5: That really indicate he's growing weary of this.
Speaker 8: You also have the strain that I'm sure Mark will be able to talk about as well, on the US troops and the US assets that are in the region. And there's a lot of broad concern from US allies in Asia. You mentioned South Korea. If President Trump is now going to try to exert leverage over a country like South Korea over on, Well, what does that mean for the US A commitment to South Korea in a region where China is still looking to make its own moves. So a lot of uneasiness from US allies. Spin it back to the Western hemisphere though you have Nicholas Maduro who's been removed. The President argues that's a win. But you know, a lot of instability, a lot of concerns. So, you know, but certainly looking at Hormoz, I would say we are not as secure as we were before February.
Speaker 2: Mark Nick, as he always does, laying it also while come on in on it. I am curious too. We've talked a lot about the USS Abraham Lincoln. We've heard the President saying the deployment not nearly long enough. There's a lot of things that we could hit on. But take it away from your vantage point in terms of global national security, US national security.
Speaker 9: Well, one of the problems is how do you define US interests? Now, I agree with what we've just heard that, you know, there have been some very concerning events, straight form moves being right up there Trump administration. You know, they're much more skeptical about defending Europe. They are skeptical about even the Western Pacific and believe that countries there should do more that the United States has been taken advantage of. So from the perspective of many in the administration, we're better off because if the Europeans are threatened by Russia, that's not our problem. You know, we will be able to keep more of our forces and resources at home. Now, the concern is that we've tried that strategy twice in the past that failed both times. You know, there's no need to try it a third time. But many of the administration focused on America first, and one of the problems that I think they're realizing is that even if you have a strategy that says America first, we're going to focus on the hemisphere and the home land, we still get dragged into these foreign events like the Middle East, like Europe, like the Western Pacific. So if we're a global superpower, you know, we need to maintain those global capabilities. And right now we're seeing that the Navy is stretched and our ammunitions inventories are much lower than the war planners would like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark, I mean you're really moving towards. In my estimation, here is this ongoing discussion of the US weapons stockpile. You know, I've talked about this with Nick plenty of times, but it seems like right now the administration is a bit sensitive to this discussion. And I'm just curious what you think you know and telling our viewers who maybe aren't paying as much attention to the weapons aspect. Is it a dire situation, is it a troubling situation? Where do you benchmark this at?
Speaker 9: I would put it at troubling, But you have to keep in mind that munitions covers a lot of territory, and there are some munitions where we have good stockpiles. For example, we're rebuilding stockpiles for ground munitions for and there are some short range ground attack munitions that we have pretty good stockpiles on. But there are other areas where we are short. The one place where we're really desperately short is defenses against ballistic missiles. And these are systems like Patriot, which many people have heard of AD and the Navy's SM three. We've used about half of those Patriot little more SM three a little less, and there are no good alternatives.
Speaker 3: Because, like I said, like a level those is it like a level that keeps you up at night?
Speaker 9: That would keep me up at night? Now you know, we have alternatives to some of the other munitions, and there are some things that have come out of the war that I think do help the torrents against China. But this is the this is an area where we are short. It's going to take a long time to read buildbos and there are no good substitutes.
Speaker 2: So Nick, come on in on here. You know, you cover national security from so many different angles, but let's go to our military stockpile and what you're hearing because the administration and I guess I understand it on some level, it's very defensive, no pun intended when it comes to any criticism about the size of military stockpiles. What do we know for real? And I do understand we have to keep some of this quiet because it is a security.
Speaker 5: Issue, right.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's very interesting because having covered US wars going back to Iraq in the early two thousands, I mean, as a reporter, I was used to constant daily, incessant briefings from the administration, certainly putting their spin on the state of US forces, number of casualties, territory.
Speaker 5: Stockpiles, things like that.
Speaker 8: And while a lot of this was considered a secret, you could get some estimation of where things stood. And this administration has taken a much different approach. It's much more difficult even to get assessment of damage on US bases in the region that have been hit by Iranian attacks. So there is so much that we don't know. What we can say, though, is that some of our reporting does suggest that the administration is making decisions partly because of concerns around stockpiles. So when you had the President essentially prompt missing to unleash a massive new military campaign against Iran a couple of weeks ago, and then the reporting suggested that US allies in the region were telling him, listen, we do not think this is the best path forward. We did have some indication at that time that concerns around strikes on US allies in the region Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates Cutter, for example, that the US understood it would not be able to defend them as well as it would want to because of concerns around its ability to knock down all of those incoming strikes from Iran. So it's a very complicated picture. There's a lot at play, there's a lot we don't know, but we can at least say that the evidence we're getting from the reporting does suggest that concerns around those stockpiles are starting to influence the way the administration does make decisions in the region about what it'll do next.
Speaker 3: And Nick, when you say not be able to defend our allies in the region as much as we'd want to, can you unpack that for listeners who maybe don't really understand the day to day of what you might be talking about.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean it's like what Mark said, I mean, if there's a ballistic missile that comes in, I mean, that's a very powerful weapon, and if it can't be defended against because there's a shortage of patriot missiles or they're being much more selective about their targeting, those sort of targeting decisions are going to be influenced based on your stockpiles. I mean, the US is starting to get into other forms of defense. They're not effective against ballistic missiles, but against against incoming drones. So they do have more counter drone defenses, and there are indications that they're ramping up production of those Patriot missiles. Of course, of course those take months or years to produce, but they are bringing in cheaper anti drone defenses. They're working on directed energy weapons. There's all sorts of stuff they're trying to bring to the region to defend against Iranian attacks. But the Uranian attacks are so varied, and the time lag between when you expend those munitions and then can resupply them. You know, if it's a cheap drone, okay, that's one thing. But if it's a pack three you know, Patriot interceptor, you know, those take years to produce and they cost, you know, millions of dollars, so there's a much longer time horizon to get those into the battlefield to be able to defend the US forces.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 2: Can't flip a switch quickly on that one. Hey, Mark, I want to go back to you for a moment. One of the things I keep thinking about with any of this is that I do feel like the cards are largely in the hands of the Iranians, and we did a President Trump come out on social this morning. The number one goal is and always will be that Aron cannot have in any way, shape or form a nuclear weapon. So we're back to that as the mission, which is what we all thought that mission was in the beginning, but it's kind of gotten tossed around here. From the Iranian perspective, this is existential for them. So what do we need to understand about where they are coming from and how long they're willing to keep this going again, going to what some say will be a forever war between the US and Iran.
Speaker 9: Well, I think that's right for the Iranian regime. This is an existential threat that the Israelis in the United States have threatened to overthrow the regime. Now the focus is back on nuclear weapons, but regime change would certainly, you know, was certainly discussed early early on, and the regime is willing to endure great hardship. They're willing to inflict great hardship on the population in order to stay in power. You have to keep in mind too, that there's a religious element here. You know, It's not just that there's a regime that wants to retain power, as all regimes do. They believe that God has entrusted them with certain responsibilities and they need to carry those out. Both sides have cards. The Iranians, of course, are blockading the Straight. The US is blockading the Straight also and preventing Ranian oil from going out and materials coming in. We are in what I call it economic war of attrition to see who can endure longer, who can force the other side to make concessions.
Speaker 3: Mark, I want to flip the switch to the comments the President had made over the weekend about the US South Korea drills, wanting to reduce those setting a lack of help on Iran. From your perch, when you hear something like that, I mean, what kind of goes off in your mind?
Speaker 9: From a military perspective, this is a bad thing. Now, It's not an immediate problem the way that rediction forces might be, for example. But these exercises, and the big one is coming up. It's called Olgi Freedom Guardian. It's been going on for literally fifty years.
Speaker 6: Year.
Speaker 9: When I was in the Marine Corps, i participated. But this is a mechanism to get the US forces in South Korean forces working together to mesh the two military systems, to make sure our plans are consistent, to make sure that all of our communications is consistent, that we can fight together as a team effectively, and is also on the South Korean side of mobilization aspect to the operation. Now, you cancel it one year and you lose some experience, but there's still a lot of experience in the force. But over time, as you cancel that, you cancel the smaller exercises, that expertise declines, your credibility with the North, declines, your military capabilities to conduct combined operations of conflict with the United States and South Korea. That declines. And it's not clear to me what we're getting for it. Something offered anything, So I'm not sure you know what's in it for us, But I'll defer to the political side to answer that question.
Speaker 2: All right, Nick, come on back in here. In that social post to President Trump said South Korea had declined to join us in the nuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran. It did catch soul though by surprise this is just another thing, or how are you and the folks you talked to kind of assessing this latest move, which many say caught Soul by surprise, right.
Speaker 8: I think it probably caught a lot of Trump's most senior advisors by surprise as well.
Speaker 5: I mean, there is some president for this.
Speaker 8: When the administration in Trump's first term was in negotiations with North Korea, the president scaled back US military exercises with South Korea. It also gotten a big in broglio with South Korea over the amount the US wanted South Korea to pay for US troops hosted on its soil.
Speaker 5: So there was a lot of conversations.
Speaker 8: It was seen as sort of leverage the administration was trying to use for to renegotiate those basing agreements to get what President Trump believed was a better deal. So when I see that, a lot goes through my mind. Okay, maybe it's Iran. Maybe it's the basing agreements that they have some more time to go there. Maybe we'll also get back into some sort of conversation with Kim Jong un in North Korea. You know, the white whale of President Trump's first term an agreement with North Korea.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's going to make another run at it.
Speaker 8: So it's always difficult to divine, you know, on a Sunday evening, where these pronouncements come from, though it does have some historical president president for President Trump. Though I do agree with Mark there on the question of, you know, what does the US get out of this? How does what help does President Trump actually want from South Korea in helping with Iran. Maybe it's maritime patrols for the Straight of Horn moves, but it's hard to see how South Korea could actually help with denuclearization of Iran.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's just diplomatic support.
Speaker 8: So again, a lot we don't know here, and we'll really have to see how much he actually scales back those drills when it comes down to it.
Speaker 2: Just another issue, right, I have to pull into kind of the geopolitical conversations. You both are gems. Thank you so much as always, Nick Wadams, He's Bloomberg News national security reporter out there in our DC bureau, Marcansi, and thank you as well, Senior Advisor Defense and Security Department at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. I mean, it is, right, always, just another layer on top of things, and whether or not it's significant or whether it was just a statement or tweet or social post by the president. I mean that's what investors, the world at large, global leaders and companies have to figure.
Speaker 3: Out every weekend. Nick and I are exchanging emails on the latest comments made by the president or someone in his cabinet about these things, and you have to be quick to parse it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because sometimes it impacts the market, sometimes it impacts the narrative in a big way, and sometimes it doesn't, which is all another fascinating aspect to all of this.
Speaker 7: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five e's during the Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hey a Gulf Stream, a three hundred and sixty seven billion dollar asset management firm, not too shabby an effort to revive the Wooly Mammoth. I had no idea ownership of a storied, iconic NBA team until last week. A steak in Chelsea Football Club and a federal probe and the financial troubles that a followed that led to a possible sale of that Chelsea Football Club, and it did lead to a sale of the La Leakers that we learned last week. This is the life of the CEO of Guggenheim Partners as he rushes a makeover a mid it all talk about a full plate. It is today's Bloomberg Big Tay, and joining us is Srinatarajan, Ploomberg News Chief Wall Street correspondent Here in studio Shre, I feel like we've seen these stories before, these people that achieve incredible levels of success and then they either stumble or kind of fall from on high. He's got a full plate?
Speaker 5: Where is he?
Speaker 2: And tell us about the things that he's kind of dealing with.
Speaker 10: Okay, the whole storyline is interesting because of who he is, Mark Walter Right. It's not just a name that you would recognize on Wall Street, which he would because on Wall Street you have his giant asset manager, Google Name Investments, his broker dealer that's run by the former Bearston CEO, Alan Schwartz, but also a name that should be known on Main Street and has bled through to that space because in his stable of sports team are the Dodgers, the Chelsea Football Club, Lakers, Cadillac F one team, the professional women's hockey league where the winner plays for the Walter Cup. So here is someone who's at that intersection of Main Street and Wall Street. So when you have this sort of money trouble that pops up, and when we and money trouble is perhaps a very loose term for what is happening right now, because he also owns insurers, and as the FEDS probe how these insurers made loans, whether they made loans to affiliated assets or not, it's clearly raised the temperature a little bit. All our reporting shows that he has been accelerating in rushing efforts to try and clean up that insurance balance sheet, but the spillover effect of that, as a result of that, you are seeing some big ticket, important trophy assets being taken away from him potentially. Today's new story talks about the Chelsea Steak going to another Chelsea owner, clear Lake. No deals there, but the talks are happening, and they seem to be happening in the last few days. Last week, you had that surprise sale of the Los Angeles Lakers. The headline figure says a twelve point five billion dollar record breaking sale. Sounds great, but when was the last time you've heard of a profession sports team like that of that stature getting flipped in less than a year, as if it was some Jersey Shore mansion.
Speaker 2: Hey watch that Jersey, Hey I throw I went to school in New Jersey, Florida.
Speaker 11: I don't forget that.
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: All right, So, as you dig into this story, I do wonder, is this the guy who stumbles and falls and then is gone? Or is he a mean he's got so many coveted assets? Is this enough? But then when you've got also a federal probe, you do wonder what's the implications longer term?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 10: The implications on what's happening to your cabinet of assets, right, whether that grows or you know, shrinks, is one thing. What happens to a federal probe is a whole another thing. So I don't know we can if we can square away the two. Right now, we are obviously seeing as they try and remediate the issue with his insurance firms, and again to explain to our listeners and viewers what exactly the issue is is Mark Walter owns an insurance firm. Through that insurance firm, they were getting loans to fund other parts of Mark Walter's sprawling empire. The problem was a lot of those loans were tagged as unaffiliated. When they did a review, they suddenly said, at least one of the bigger insurance, Delaware Life that he owns, said, our affiliated assets have gone up from three percent to forty percent after we did some checks. And why did they do the checks Because the gods of penas from the Feds. So the problem is real and he'll have to find a way to get through that. Again, it's a federal probe that matters, and we're all paying attention to see where that goes. But you are seeing the dynamic of that in some of these big asset sale and discussions.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a story that, like every day, there's some new scoop coming out from us or from others. It just does not go away. Can you kind of dive into that aspect? Coupled with the you sitting down and saying, you know what, let's just do a quick let's do a profile of this man. Let's explain to people who are are interested, both in the sports world and the finance world, who he is and catching them up to speed and knowing this is maybe just the beginning.
Speaker 10: And that's always a challenge with the fast moving news cycle. There are a lot of developments happening, and you will find news interest in different corners of that empire, just because of all that he owns. How often do you see Sportico and the New York Times Sports section and Bloomberg and the Financial Times on the Wall Street Journal focusing on the same subject, focusing on the same person. That is exactly what's happening right now, but also an interesting life story. We all know him for that Gougenheim name. He has nothing to do with that great American dynasty. He's not a direct descendant. It was a chance meeting where Mark Walter was running a financial firm in the backwaters of Chicago, or at least in the financial backwaters in Chicago, to be clear, and had this meeting with a great grandson of the original Gougenheim baron, the mining Baron Meyer. Gugenheim turned that partly that into this big empire that he has because he folded his firm into that family office, Gugenham family office. And really, when you think of Googenem today, you think of this man who grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, son of a factory worker, had nothing to do with that great dynasty, but that's the name you think of. And then over time that has it's expanded. You have the Dodgers, Lakers, and all these other teams. Last month, he was getting feted at the Rose Garden by President Donald Trump, where the President calls him my friend. Mark Walter then compare him to George Steinbrenner, famous for his win at all cost mentality. Again, Steinbrenner rest in peace was a polarizing figure. So it's not really clear to me whether Mark Walter would have heard that comparison and been happy about it or not so thrilled.
Speaker 2: We've only got about a minute left here and there. You know, in the story, it's like he talks about I hate losing. He said this back in twenty twenty four next to Laker's legend and turn business alheimh Magic Johnson. I just can't stand it, yes, says I reduced to being poor and happy. Then I just got in business and was competitive and things worked out. I mean, what is it in kind of digging into his past and understanding a little bit about who he is and what he's about that really just struck you, as he is really kind of fighting for his I don't want to say fighting for his life, and I'm more with drama, but what he does will determine kind of where this goes.
Speaker 10: More importantly, what happens with the federal probe will determine what his legacy and standing will be. And it's not like in the past the Feds haven't tried to look at other aspects of his business empire. The SEC in years passed at various stages without bringing any cases, without accusing anyone of wrong ring, but at least had explored various investigations that looked at elements of conflicts of interest. That is what this current probe also seems to at least recof It seems to have some of the same flavors. But really the outcome of this probe will tell us how we'll see history. Is he, at the end of the day, the epitomy of that true great American dream, right, you know, from nothing to become one of America's great wealthy as financiers?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Is it financial ingenuity or something worse? And we'll have to wait to see what that is.
Speaker 2: Highly recommend this is one of the stories that Sri You and the team always just do so well. It's on the Bloomberg. It's on Bloomberg dot com. Thank you, Thank you. It's a great Monday. Read Sanataraja on Bloomberg News, Chief Wall Street Correspondent.
Speaker 7: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Weekdaily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five eas during it. Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us Live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: All right, so there's a lot going on in terms of geopolitics and how it impacts things like supply chains and just kind of the global grab for so much and how it impacts different economies. And when we were planning for the show, we knew you were going to be here. You're like, I've got a perfect guest.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. We are fortunate enough to bring in someone I've known for a little while now, Peter Herrel. He's the visiting scholar at the Georgetown Institute of International Economic Law. He's also a former Biden, a White House Senior Director for International Economics, and he's joining us from Washington, d C. Peter, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 11: Joh thanks for having me on. It's a real pleasure.
Speaker 3: So Peter one of the things I wanted to dive in is you have been writing quite a bit about the latest grouping of trade tears that have been coming out in the section two thirty two's and all the others. You've been talking about budget deficits. I feel like in the backdrop of all of this, hanging over these massive trade and economic questions, is this ongoing war with Iran. And I'm just wondering is that fair to say? Is it fair to say that the war in Iran is actually maybe causing a bit more of a policy problem for this current White House over all these other trade and economic issues that you've running amount.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Joe, first of all, thanks for having me on. And I think it's a really important question. I do think we are seeing some interplay between the war in Iran and the White House, the White House's terif agenda, you know, as I think of it. On the war in Iran, we're in kind of the phase of this war where it is a war.
Speaker 11: Of economic attrition on both sides.
Speaker 6: Right the Trump administration is naval imposing a naval blockade on Iran's oil exports. Iran is trying to reduce global oil exports from the Gulf by keeping the straight of horror moves closed, and that is keeping energy prices elevated at least where they were at the beginning of the year. Going into a midterm, we are in a higher oil price environment, which is politically challenging for the president. And interestingly, one thing you see the President having done over the last month or so is having made a decision not to take US teriff rates all the way back to where they were at the beginning of this year before the Supreme Court ruled his first round of tariffs illegal. So you know, his average teriff rate at the beginning of the year was maybe about fifteen percent or so. After the Supreme Court that fell to about ten percent.
Speaker 11: They have said, you know, they said at the.
Speaker 6: Time, we're going to fully recreate these tariff rates, but they haven't actually done, so they've kind of kept them more in that ten to eleven percent range. And I do think that's because the war in Iran has made energy prices in thus inflation run a little bit hotter than it otherwise would have. And I do think that's you know, we still have tariff man for a president. We got to be direct about that. But I do think that has made them a little bit more cautious about fully reimposing that full tariff rates they had before the Supreme Court ruled in February.
Speaker 3: So more of a practical approach this time than maybe what we saw about a year year and a half ago. Peter, Yeah, I think that's correct.
Speaker 6: I actually think one of the stories of Trump tariffs over the course of really starting late last year, is that beneath the headlines, beneath the president who continues to want to talk about tariffs lean into tariffs, beneath those headlines, you have begun to see the Trump administration take a more practical approach. You know. So, as I say, he has not fully recreated the tariffs the sort of high tariff rates that he had earlier this year, I don't want to minimize them. They're still several times higher than they were when he came in, but you know, they are a couple of percentage points lower. But we've also seen him take often quiet, you know, sometimes on Friday afternoon, take measures to exempt different kinds of price sensitive products from the tariffs. Right so late last year, earlier this year, they exempted a bunch of food stuffs, from the tariffs to try to take some of that price pressure off. They have very quietly, you know, made sure that they are exempting farm and fertilizer inputs, did that earlier this spring, so you know, again they want to be able to talk about tariffs. It is a very aggressive tariff regime compared to what we've seen in recent years, but I think they have pivoted to be a little bit more pragmatic than they were, you know, kind of peaked tariff last spring last summer.
Speaker 2: Peter, we mentioned in the intro to you that you worked with the Biden administration White House senior director for International Economics. I do wonder if you think now that in terms of international economics, you look around the world, are we in a completely new era, and whether it's tariff's investments in companies, governments taking investments in companies on shoring, that we are whoever is in the White House, whatever happens in the midterms, he's ever in the White House next that this is our new era when it comes to what companies and countries are doing to kind of protect themselves.
Speaker 11: I think we are.
Speaker 6: In a quite different era, certainly at a policy level, and we talked about tariffs. You bring up another very important point on government equity investments. I think this is often underappreciated by the public here in the US. You know, the Trump administration has taken it's either thirty five or thirty seven different equity stakes with a market value of sixty or seventy billion dollars today, just on a straight line trajectory, we're probably looking at by the end of the Trump administration. I don't know, you know, one hundred to two hundred equity stakes, one hundred to two hundred billion in market cap.
Speaker 11: Like this is very different from what we have.
Speaker 6: Seen in the past, and I do think we are in a new era when it comes to policy, whether it's trade policy and tariffs, whether it is this sort of supply chain policy, whether it is these these these equity investments. I think there's still an open question about, Okay, we have a very different policies, but what is this going to do on the data? Because you know, for all the tariffs that were imposed over the last year, year and a half, the US trade deaf as it was basically it has basically been unchanged over the last six months pretty well. You know, I think we have to be realistic that policy is changing. The data has not yet caught up with the policy changes.
Speaker 2: But can I just just real quickly, like twenty thirty seconds, whoever is next in the White House? Do you think these kind of policies continue If it's a Democrat, if it's a socialist, if it's a communist, who knows. But I mean, there will continues.
Speaker 6: There will certainly be differences with the next president.
Speaker 11: But I do think we.
Speaker 6: Are in a structurally higher tariff environment than we were a couple of years ago. And I do also think this kind of idea of a more activist, interventionist government in markets is going to be here to stay. Though whether it partly rolls back, I think is an open question.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's a book in there for you, Peter. There's so much on the table for this, But I do want to pivot. We have we have the meeting from Xijinping, the president of China, that's supposed to be coming up in the next month with Donald Trump, the President of the United States. All of this tariff discussion, you know, like you said, we've seen polysilicon tariff announcement come out, drone tariff come out. All of this is slowly coming out ahead of that meeting. How do we position the importance of that meeting and what we're seeing from this White House right now in the weeks leading up to it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is interesting to me that we have seen some continued action again that is clearly focused on China, even if sort of the stated reason is more general. Right, it wasn't Chinese polysilicon tariffs, it was polysilicon dariffs, but this is really all about China. Similarly, similarly, we have seen the Federal Communications Commission, you know, roll out some bans on robots, on power inverters. These are also not stated to be about China, but are about China. It has been interesting to me to see the Trump administration continue to put some pressure.
Speaker 11: On China in advance of the she meeting.
Speaker 6: You know, sometimes you think, oh, there'll be a period of quiet before a summit like that to keep the diplomatic waters calm. The Trump administration has clearly been willing to put some chips on the table in advance of that meeting. I think what will be interesting to see is does does the Trump administration negotiate any of this away or are they setting a new baseline going into that negotiation, that negotiation with she to say, hey, this is what we've done. You know, we're only going to be talking about the future.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, on that, I just want to throw in. I mean, the US planning to warn dozens of countries that would shut out of a US led AI coalition if they sun into a similar framework proposed by China. This is coming out of Reuters. I mean, yeah, is it just US reminding China of potentially the power they can still wield? Are they serious about this? I mean, this is one of the big races and wars of our time. It feels like and I think the.
Speaker 6: Trump administration well, I think the Trump administration is internally divided sometimes about they want the decoupling with.
Speaker 11: China to go.
Speaker 6: Clearly on AI, they are quite committed to an aggressive American pre eminence posture. We've seen that with their you know, kind of diplomatic initiatives. We've seen that with their kind of accelerationist posture, putting aside the issues with US recently with anthropic on model safety. But they clearly want to have an accelerationist posture here Visa v.
Speaker 11: China on AI.
Speaker 6: That said, I do think both Trump and She will want to talk about AI next month at Mara a Lago, and I won't be surprised if we see at least some rhetorical talk around cooperation on safety and the like. I don't think that's necessarily mutually exclusive. I think the US would like have those negotiations from kind of a position of strength, But I do think there will be some desire to cooperate on some for safety principles.
Speaker 3: Just as a quick one though, Peter. I mean there's a lot of concern in the circles that I speak to and the circles that you run in as well, that this is a tough meeting for Donald Trump because in the minds of a lot of folks who've been around this space for a long time, they feel like Hijinping holds a lot more cards than the President of United States does at this moment. Do you think that is fair directionally?
Speaker 6: I think both governments here hold quite a bit of quite a number of cards. Like clearly the Chinese continue to hold a lot of leverage through their control of Yer Earth. So Trump administration is trying to reduce US dependencies, but that's a two to three year, four year kind of play. The Chinese continue to have a lot of leverage there. Clearly, Actually the Chinese. We talked about oil markets earlier, like the Chinese have actually been incredibly helpful in keeping oil prices from going even higher because they've been releasing enormous amounts from stock files.
Speaker 11: I think President Trump is going to want that to continue. I think the Chinese have a lot of cards.
Speaker 6: Of course we do too, right, We continue to have a lot of cards on the financial domain and the technology domain in the life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love to be a fly on the wall. It's like that ultimate frenemy relationship. Peter, you rock. This was really fun. Thank you so much. Peter Heraw Visiting Scholar at Georgetown Institute of International Economic Law, former Biden Whitehouse Senior Director for International Economics. Great to have him here.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal,