Speaker 1: The fact that the hitting seems to be coming around is highly encouraging because this is a lineup that should score a ton of runts.
Speaker 2: The New York Mets are playing ball right now. Let's talk about him with Tim Healey. You can follow him at Tim b Heey on Twitter, Mets beat writer for News Day. Tim good to see it. How is the weekend? In multiple ways? The performance from the Mets sweeping the Cardinals and also the turnout from fans seems to be getting a lot of attention as well.
Speaker 3: What's up man, it's hey man, how are you?
Speaker 1: Both of those were a resounding success. Four and zero against the Cardinals, nice little four game sweep, well rounded pitching, hitting, fielding, They did a little bit of everything, especially yesterday, and then the turnout was great. As Francisco Lindor put it yesterday after the game, quote, it wasn't like this last year. So funny what effect winning on fans? It's a tale as old as time. You can mix in all the mascot races and good concession stands and all that stuff, but if you win, people will come, and if you don't win, people aren't going to be as interested. So it's been a big success for the Mets so far. They had a sellout, I believe Saturday night, but really all four games, really strong crowds, lively, crowds, energetic. They gave Wan Soto a standing ovation before one of his at bats amid his you know, so called struggles, which is probably too strong of a word. But it was a big weekend and a good weekend for the Mets. They've been beating up on bad teams, which is what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 4: Tim what was the most specific? But by the way, mon Soto doesn't need a standing ovation?
Speaker 5: I mean, let's.
Speaker 3: I thought's more.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna ask you about that that quote you had later about nine and we are not going to go there yet. But what's one most encouraging thing for the Mets fans? Was it the pitching this weekend, because they pitched really well, especially Senga, Or was it the offense came to life?
Speaker 1: I think it was the offense because the pitching has been there through the first three three and a half weeks. They have the best staff in baseball rotation and bullpen, so the fact that the hitting seems to be coming around is highly encouraging. Because this is a lineup that should score a ton of runs, and so.
Speaker 3: Far they haven't.
Speaker 1: So the fact that yesterday, for example, each of the top four guys had an RBI at least one RBI Lindor, Soto, Alonzo, Nimo. If that top half of the lineup comes alive the way they did the last couple of days, then the Mets really are going to be in cruise control.
Speaker 5: All right. So you talk about this pitching staff, is this enough of a sample size? Now a year of creating value in the pitchers that they brought over last year with Manaya and Sevarino and now this year including me. I said, I don't know. This pitching staff's not there like they're twenty two games you two, I've had a couple year articles you'd said about it. Is this enough of a sample size to say Mets fans are like, Hey, don't worry about we won't go out. We won't be mad that we don't go after Corbyn Burns, we won't be mad that we didn't get Max Freed, we won't be mad about what they're building in this like how to pitch for the Mets.
Speaker 1: I think they've done plenty to earn the benefit of the doubt at this point, given what they did last year with Severarino and Manaya, given what they've done so far this year with Canning and Clay Holmes, not to mention Tyler McGill, who's taking a big step forward, code is Sanga, who's been healthy and excellent. And then the bullpen, which is a classic David Stern's bullpen in that you might not know a lot of their names, but they're nasty and collectively they're going to shut you down. It's been super impressive, barely a weak link among the eight man pen.
Speaker 3: So is it a big enough sample size? I'd say yeah.
Speaker 1: They've deserved the benefit of the doubt at this point because they've shown they're able to take pictures who in the past we're not healthy and or good and make them both of those things, which is pretty incredible. I don't think it's going to stay at this level for a long stretch, but if they get good performances for a couple of months from a couple of these guys, and then Manaia comes back, and then Frankie Mantas comes back from their injuries, then the Mets are gonna be in good shape, not to mention the arms they have coming up on the farm, Brandon sprote Blade, Tidwell, there's a lot of there's a lot to like for the Mets on the pitching front.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna get to this since it's taken over in New York, since a lot of the radio hosts don't actually watch ball or no ball and whatever. You don't have to. You can be a casual fan too. So how's Mon Soto doing?
Speaker 3: Juan Soto is doing fine? Do you want me to elaborate on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, but he doesn't have Aaron Judgeting behind him anymore. He only has Pete a Lonzo has a eleven ops right now?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: But do you know the context? Like in New York, some of the radio wieners are like, he's terrible, He's so bad. They only look at like two stats to sum up what they're doing, and really they think about this stuff. So they've already won. We're talking about them, although we're not throwing out names, but just for people to understand, right, if a Mets fan's catching this, where are we at on Sodo right now? And his three eighty five on base percentage?
Speaker 3: Three eighty five. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I think his OPS is in the low eight hundreds now too, So basically where what it is is, Juan Soto did not perform at an MVP caliber level for the first three weeks of the season. And I suppose given his unprecedented contract that comes with unprecedented hype and excitement and unprecedented scrutiny of course, so I don't know, it's just this silly New York sometimes echo chambers, social media radio, blah blah blah. My take is if Juan Soto struggling for three weeks features him getting on base at an elite rate and having an ops of seven point fifty eight hundred now above eight hundred, then he'll be okay and the Mets will be okay. So that whole dust up last week was much ado about nothing. In my opinion, Wan Soto is a great baseball player, great hitter especially, so you know he'll be He'll get.
Speaker 2: Hot, Alana, we love our pups dearly, and we want to shout out Spot and Tango for taking care of our pups with their unkibble. They are a game changer.
Speaker 6: A game changer, is right, Scott, And you know anything about me you know that I love dogs and I want them to live forever. My own rescue pup, Bentley, is my passion and she loves Spot and Tango. Thank goodness. It's one hundred percent human great ingredients, so you know exactly what your dog is getting. Often time, in other forms of dog food, you have no idea what's in it. It's a bunch of fillers. She loves it. It helps keep her healthy. It's perfectly customized for her age, her breed, her weight, and her level of activity. Makes me happy to give.
Speaker 3: It to her, and you don't have to go to the store.
Speaker 2: They'll deliver it right to your door. Spot in Tango's offering an exclusive deal for the ft network for a limited time. Go to spotan tango dot com slash foul use code foul for fifty percent off your first order. That's spotan tango dot com slash foul code foul for fifty percent off your first order one more time for the pups out there. Codefoul at spotantango dot com slash foul.
Speaker 5: We have a fan chat question here from armand he's asking, can you give us any update on the Ventos injury.
Speaker 1: Well, he did not play yesterday. He hoped yesterday afternoon to be available today Monday. But it sounds like that growing discomfort, growing whatever that he left the game with on Saturday was no big deal. They figured it was hydration. He felt well on Sunday that he didn't even go for an MRI or anything, so it sounds like he should be totally fine.
Speaker 3: So good news there for the Mets.
Speaker 4: There you go, all right, Yeah, that's good. They got baby and Akunya playing well too, So it's gonna be interesting when old Jeffy McNeil comes back. What they tried to do with him. Maybe they just say, hey, jeff, maybe keep playing golf. These dudes are doing pretty good.
Speaker 5: I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I'm good the center fielder now, Yeah, but they have I mean, what are they gonna do about?
Speaker 4: What are they gonna do when McNeil comes back? That is an interesting the problem the Mets A're gonna have.
Speaker 1: It's super interesting and I don't know the answer. We might learn more today with McNeil back in Queen's to check in amid his rehab assignment, which probably will continue for a couple of more days. So it isn't an imminent or urgent question for the Mets, but it but it is an interesting one because Lukunya has been playing well and the Mets really like him.
Speaker 3: Carlos Mendoza really likes him.
Speaker 1: They want to They hope that he continues to earn these every day or almost every day at bats that he's been getting over the last week, week and a half. If that happens, it gets a little awkward because do you put a Coony in center some days and McNeil a second, or do you let Acuonie stay at second with his excellent defense and chemistry with Francisco lindoor and try McNeil in center, which they've done a little bit in recent years. But let's be honest, he's not a center field or really, he's just a guy who can go out there and hold his own.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's good enough. I don't know. David Sterens really likes defense up the middle.
Speaker 1: So it'll begin with who's the odd man out roster wise, maybe Bret Baidy, maybe Jose Azocar.
Speaker 3: But there are at bats to be had.
Speaker 1: I would think between center field, second base DH where the Mets.
Speaker 3: Have not gotten a lot.
Speaker 1: So you know, that's a puzzle for Carlos Mendoza and the Mets to figure out, and it's it doesn't necessarily fit neatly together very easily.
Speaker 5: That's funny.
Speaker 4: It's a good problem to have. It's a good listen when you have too much depth. It's a good problem to have. So Mets fans a couple years ago were complaining, we don't have anybody. I got too many people. And that's a good thing, all right. I got to ask him, what were your thoughts when Pete Alonzo had his triple? Did you tell him when he was going around second you can carry a piano on your back, you just don't have to stop and play it. And his legs they got a little bit squirrely right when he was I don't know what happened. I mean he did someone. I'm surprised no one on the Mets bench didn't bring him oxygen at third base.
Speaker 1: When Pee Alonzo gets it going on the bases, it is a delight to watch because it's not always the smoothest, it's certainly not the fastest, but he is hustling, he is trying out there, and you're never going to catch Pete Alonzo's sleeping. And they certainly didn't catch him sleeping on that triple the other day.
Speaker 3: Just love it.
Speaker 1: Peter Lonz has been off to a great start and he is busting it around second to third. So shout out to Peter Alonzo, who always runs hard.
Speaker 2: You always get the hey, kids, you can play baseball. You might not be the fastest, you might not be the most athletic, But man, Pete's having a year too. You're seeing anything differently last one. For me, you've seen anything differently from Pete that's leading to this success. I mean, what's he's saying?
Speaker 1: Not really, He's just a rare kind of locked in right now. I would say more locked in than I've ever seen him, even more so than his record breaking rookie season in twenty nineteen. I do wonder if, deep down, or maybe not so deep down, for Pete Alonzo, he took the off season during which baseball is an industry collectively shrugged at him in free agency and said, Okay, I'll show you. I'll show the Mets who only gave him a two year deal. He'll show the rest of the twenty nine of other teams who didn't really want him, and he's gonna put up a great year so far, through twelve or thirteen percent of the season's absolutely doing that. It's a long year, as we all know, but he's been he's been amazing, you know, twelve hundred ohps or so, right up there on the leader boards on all the important stats. RBIs especially he should drive in a ton of runs this season with Lindor and so to ahead of him. So I suffice to say he'll probably be getting a bigger contract this offseason, if not earlier.
Speaker 4: Tim, by the way, tell them, I know you're in the media food room, but I mean you're doing an interview.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: The press boxes are literally have known as if you've never been to a have you been to the city field. You have to walk through the food to get to the press. It's one of the weirdest setups. So you have to walk through the crowd and then you have to walk through the media food room and then so whatever they're making, I hope it's good because there's a lot of noise behind you, crashing and banks.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know if it's Howie. Is it Howie back there? He's looking for that soud he has on in that picture.
Speaker 1: How he's not here yet, But we got some popcorn getting going to the boxes.
Speaker 3: We got the cookies coming out, so it's kies good there.
Speaker 1: The balls starting to get rolling here, so we're in good shape.
Speaker 2: That's your food report.
Speaker 5: Oh those cookies are good in New York.
Speaker 4: And they always have a little ice cream on the side and usually some other goodies.
Speaker 5: Notice I don't talk about the other it's always the sweet. What should we look forward to for this series? I mean, this is one versus two right now. They've always the last few years, the Mets have dominated the Phillies. Pitching staff has changed, but the pitching staff has dominated this lineup. Do they continue that here or is it something that I'm seeing a little bit of a different outlook this year?
Speaker 1: This series is very interesting and I'm less interested in the standings right now. Mets are one, Phillies are two. Great, that's fun, But I'm more curious to see what the Phillies look like because I haven't seen them yet this year. You know, more than highlight real packages. So the last couple of years, the Phillies have gone a little less deep into October than they did the year prior. Last year they lost in the Division Series to the Mets in a series that frankly was not very close four games, but barely even needed to go that long. So I'm curious to see how the Phillies respond. I Brendan Nemo mentioned yesterday, and it's easy to believe him that the Phillies probably want to come out and make a statement early, and this is their chance to do that. They have Nola tonight and he's not been very good so far the season, but the next two days are Christopher Sanchez and Zach Wheeler, who's Oh, he's a good time when he's pitching against the Mets. So it's it's a big series. The Phillies look on paper like they should be a better team. So far, that hasn't really been true since the Mets have been doing basically a.
Speaker 3: Little bit of everything.
Speaker 1: But I think we'll find out more so about the Phillies this week than the Mets, at least from my perspective.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's because I watched the Mets all.
Speaker 2: The time exactly. Yeah, you definitely will learn more about the Phillies than the Mets. Yeah, Tim, great to have you on.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Go get a cookie per a j and we'll catch you soon enjoy the game later great.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys very much.