Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and ever though in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. Wall Street is shedding stocks it thinks are on the wrong side of the AI revolution.
Speaker 3: Plus Twilio founder Jeff Lawson has a new company, Nuclear Fusions, startup Inertia. We'll discuss how the surging demand for electricity is powering big.
Speaker 2: Energy bets and shares of lift plunging off of the company's latest earnings results. Will be joined by CEO David Risher to unpack it all.
Speaker 3: But first we turn our attentions to these public markets that are actually being whip swored. On the day we get the big jobs data that signals their strength, people start to backtrack, maybe on when or where we could see some sort of rate cut and it impacts treasuries, but stops actually manage to having been in the red. Now shake it off for up a tenth per percent on then, as that one hundred managed climb back after yesterday's lows. Bitcoin, though I'm afraid no respite from the selling there were of by three percent sixty six thousand, and what are.
Speaker 4: You looking at underneath the hood.
Speaker 2: I'm going to run through the earnings so that we're going to get through throughout the hour. Lift is down or on track to be down the most since August of twenty twenty four. Its profit outlook has the street a little bit worried because they don't have the answers on why that outlook is weaker than consensus. T Mobile actually missed on wireless subscribers in the court of gone, was lower and is now higher three percent in the session, and then Shopify be estimates. But there seems to be this concern out there with the stock on track for its biggest drop since April last year, that AI is coming for it. That is a common theme we've heard for a little while now.
Speaker 5: Charac it is.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the Software index.
Speaker 3: It's once again down by three point three percent, so clearly having a torrid time as those rising fears just about AI of pummeling shares of companies at risk been caught on the wrong side of the new technology, from small software makers to big wealth management firms. Just yesterday at tax Strategy tool ed it rolled out by a little known startup called Altruist.
Speaker 6: She has a Charles.
Speaker 3: Schwab, Raymond James LPO financialist. You'll see absolutely tumbling. Let's get more on Blueboge Tech equity reporter Common Rhynicky. You've been all over the implications and Anthropick's one thing. To have these smaller LLM or AI offerings start to rule markets, that's quite something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think what it really shows here is that kind of everyone's at risk right Investors have been so quick to punish the shares of companies that might be in the crosshairs here of any new innovation or disruption from AI, and it really marks kind of a shift or it's sort of two truths that are happening in the market right now. One the sphere of an AI bubble and sort of overspending and that the technology won't live up to the hype, and then on the flip side that the technology it's here and it's really good and it's going to disrupt, you know, entire parts of the market. So we're seeing these little pockets sell off on these new things that are coming out, and investments are really just trying to see what's next.
Speaker 2: We were talking about your your story as a team common just really one of the most read on the terminal and on dot com. There are names in there that are familiar, like some of the wealth managers for example, and then there are names that really like even we haven't heard of go through those impacted specifically.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so some of the ones that were most impacted yesterday, you know, Charles Schwab was one, Raymond James LPL Financial. But then we've also seen you know, some stocks across Europe also get hit. Not you know, super high profile I think for some of us here in the US, but you know, last week it was things you know, into it saw a little bit of a sell off. Also, tax you know, programming just really all over sort of across the board. Insurres you know, had a little bit of of a sell off as well. So it's a very broad range of stocks that we're seeing here get hit, and there is not there's not an easy way to really think about what could be next.
Speaker 4: Come in, Ryanikey, She's going to be writing what's next.
Speaker 3: We so appreciate it for more on the software sell off, but still the demand for hardware. We're joined by on Care Crawford, EVP put Photio manager over an outjo and you recently updated your twenty twenty three paper AI and the declining cost to create.
Speaker 4: Your thesis is now playing out in real time.
Speaker 3: You've been writing, When AI can write software, the cost to create the software plummets. I believe the market is starting to question the terminal value of these businesses. I will be more challenging. It will be more challenging for companies who are not AI native. So how much longer could this pressure build for?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 8: I think again, when the terminal value is changing and you don't really know what the end point is, it's difficult to put a multiple on these stocks.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 6: I would say that we're getting a.
Speaker 8: Little bit of a phenomenon of the baby's getting thrown out with breathwater in that all stocks are going down regardless because there is such a fear factor right now, and not all of the software stocks are created equal, right, and there are going to be some beneficiaries, But one thing is for sure, the entire industry needs to rethink. And you know something that the Shopify CFO said this morning that I thought was really interesting. He wrote, he said, the rules of what is possible are being rewritten real time. Yeah, And I think that's what you're seeing is when you can create.
Speaker 6: Bespoke software on the fly. And that's today.
Speaker 8: What happens five years from now when these llms and these you know, self coding mechanisms are actually even more powerful by orders of magnitude. So anything digital, any digital asset, you must call to question as to what is its future.
Speaker 4: But this knee jerk of sell first, ask questions later?
Speaker 3: What questions are you now asking to decide where you can bossom pick which ones aren't going to be disrupted?
Speaker 8: So I think it becomes again a very much a stock pickers mark because there are some you have to understand the architecture of how some of the software is actually being built. I would say things like point Solutions that are in the small to MidCap space very difficult to own because that kind of end market that they're addressing can easily get you served by, you know, companies that are bigger or adjacent businesses, you know, so you it's very difficult to own some of those. I think companies that are larger cap, more platform like companies, parts of those businesses.
Speaker 6: Are at risk, not the entire thing.
Speaker 8: We'll still have SaaS it will just exist at a different margin structure, different growth rates than we are used to.
Speaker 6: So how do you pick?
Speaker 8: I think you have to understand the differences between all the software. Security is not the same as enterprise software, not the same as you know, mid and small cap point solutions. So you have to be almost very very deliberate in what you're looking at, and not just by the group.
Speaker 2: We've been zeroed in on this software story for so many days in a row now and earnings of course, but we should discuss the stronger than expected US jobs report, payrolls in January rising by the most and more than a year unemployment faoling unexpectedly. What does that signal for the tech sector? What do our audience need to understand about that?
Speaker 8: So look, I think I think we're living in two separate regimes right now, in that you know, the tech sector is going through its own hiccups with understanding the what AI will do to it. On the other hand, you have the hardware sector inside of tech, which is faring much better than software because they are the beneficiaries of all of this AI and the infrastructure spending. So how do would I read the unemployment report and attach it to AI, I think today or over the next few weeks, they're kind of not connected to one another, and I won't read anything into it for the tech sector.
Speaker 2: That would suggest that we are still zeroed in on the capital expenditures numbers that will come from the Hyperscalers and others, and that that will be the yardstick by which we judge continued growth right for the bands of this year. And how important a data set is that going to be for you this year, Anka, I.
Speaker 6: Think very much.
Speaker 8: I think besides the Hyperscaler CAPEX numbers, I think we have to look at demand. Token growth in the month of January was twenty five percent growth month over month from December. If you annualize that, that means token growth for the year is going to be fourteenfold what we saw last year.
Speaker 6: Fourteen full token growth.
Speaker 8: And that is just a measure of the amount of intelligence that we are we are asking the system or AI to do for us.
Speaker 6: That is an incredible.
Speaker 8: Amount of demand that is being put into the system, and we will need an incredible amount of capex to support it. And I will remind everyone we are in the very early innings of adoption of artificial intelligence and so that CAPEX number actually is necessary, and it doesn't really scare me because as we as we move forward two, three, four and five years, I do believe that our world is changing in such a dramatic way that we are going to need this kapex.
Speaker 2: Uncle Crawlford, about a great to have you back on the program. Thank you very much. Coming up, time to launch SpaceX meet Xai. Yai may be key for the company's next launch. Bloomberg Intelligence just initiated coverage and we have it next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: SpaceX's acquisition of Xai has many wondering what the company's next chapter will look like. The profitable rocket maker is set to merge the AI startup, which is what he cause, burning billions as it races to compete with other AI players. All of this comes as SpaceX that you're looking at now, is expected to IPO later this year. Today, UMEG Intelligence has launched coverage as a combined entity and says the merger, along with the planned IPO, could help fund investment in larger launch vehicles and space based data centers. As new reports suggests the IPO could value the company as much as one point five trillion dollars for more want to bring in a dream team. Roome meg Intelligence Roundtable. George Ferguson's senior aerospace and defense analyst and manly seeing global head of Tech Research, has been thinking about the Tesla implications. George, we start with you on SpaceX. How much is it a burden or a help to be now aligned with XAI because it's certainly cash burn. Meanwhile, you think revenues are what up to the tune of ten billion for certain parts of SpaceX, so if not more.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So we think launch is worth probably as revenue generating probably at least ten billion, and we think that this satellite constellation Starlink is probably eightish nine ish billion. My colleague John Butler did the work on that, so we're up actually probably closer to twenty billion. Look, I think the combining with XAI is all about sort of strategy and funding AI, I mean manned people of course talk to it deeper, but I think that AI business needs a lot more investment. I think Musk wants to push it up in its competitiveness, and so I think you put it inside this broader offering for SpaceX in order to help move some money.
Speaker 2: That way, Mandy, the combination you know, long term, it's about compute in space right satellite space form factor data center of XAI. In your research, continuing to look at what we reported as being a potential tie up between Tesla, XAI and SpaceX give me a thesis.
Speaker 11: Well, so the way XAI has been looking to monetize is through consumer subscriptions so far, and when I stack them against let's say an open Ai, you know, they are nowhere close to the scale that OpenAI is or Gemini is in terms of consumer subscriptions. On the enterprise side, yes, they have that big defense contract, but that's where you know, the XAI revenue run rate is close to one billion, and compare that to Anthropic and the others. There's not growing at the same pace.
Speaker 6: So because all these.
Speaker 11: Large angrid models are converging and growing really fast, you have to ask yourself, how are they going to fund the next training run? And you need that sort of funding to really keep up in terms of how these models are developing. So I think the merger is really an attempt to make sure that they don't lack the funding because all these companies are tapping you know, the private market, the debt market, and you know, as a combined entity, they've already sort of come up with the one point two five trillion.
Speaker 6: Yes, they go public, probably.
Speaker 11: One point five trillion could be achievable, but it's a very high valuation multiple that they already have.
Speaker 4: Mandy.
Speaker 3: What's interesting in your research is you really compare and contrast how many individual users are going to a standalone GROQUEI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not many, but there are.
Speaker 3: Plenty of US Tesla users out there who could be using it. How much should they need to lean in to ensure that adoption is brought to bear in that respect?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you make a great point.
Speaker 11: The digital assistant use case within a Tesla makes perfect sense. I mean, why would they not deploy Rock inside a Tesla as a digital assistant? And you already have you know, ten million cars on the road where you could potentially deploy that. So from that perspective, the feedback loop can be very fast in terms of you know, them deploying the product, the feedback in terms of how well it's doing and constantly improving that. But you need that consumer adoption because that's what all these lms you're competing against, Google, Gemini and.
Speaker 4: More guardrails as well, I might add.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and that's where Grock so far has been kind of I feel like they haven't really caught up in terms of implementing the right guardrails, and people feel skeptical about implementing them on the enterprise side, so there is work to be done on that front.
Speaker 2: This is a big moment where Bloomberg Intelligence is initiating coverage, deep research of a big private entity that we think will go public, right, George, the data in the deck is so valuable. You're tracking the size of the Starlak consolation, You're tracking launch cadence, and then our forecasted financials. Which of those are going to be most important now that SpaceX is hard pivoted to the Moon from Mars, George, very quick.
Speaker 10: So I guess where I see the money really being generated from as the concl the satellite constellation around the Earth, and that's going to bring broadband revenue, and it's going to bring director sell revenue. The pivot to the Moon and Mars, I think is a little more about sort of marketing than it is about revenue generation. I'm all about revenue and profit generation.
Speaker 2: George ferguson Man deep seeing blue meg intelligence coverage of SpaceX and XAI appreciate it a lot. There's a lot going on in the world of Elon Inc. Jimmy Barr Tony Wu, co founders of XAI, have announced they're leaving the company after less than three years. By my count, Carroe, that means that half of the about dozen initial founders, which includes Elon Musk, have now gone.
Speaker 3: And maybe that's to be expected when you see such a difference in the architecture of the business. Now it's subsumed into space X. What does that mean in terms of the founding principles of this business? But is there any read through Look, we're looking at their statements, their resignation posts that they actually put on X. Of course, what do you make of it, ed if someone who's so deeply within the Elon Musk space, We.
Speaker 2: Just don't know. When I read the merger documents, you know, it was pretty clear and we reported this right that XAI would operate as a standalone subsidiary because remember SpaceX is subject to ITEAR rules the use of technology and defense applications. Is that it is it about the reports that Musk has been frustrated about the pace of ROX deployment. But these are notable people who are leaders in field and talents everything in this game.
Speaker 3: And boy is a competition hot at the moment with Anthropic, Withnai, with Xai, we continue to track at me while coming up. Google another AI player that we keep golying on, but it's also adding the way to shop within its AI search. We'll discuss with the company's general manager of Ads and Commerce.
Speaker 4: Stick with us as Bluembag Tech.
Speaker 2: Google is adding shopping features to its AI search and Gemini chatbot. The move comes as tech companies more broadly look for ways beyond subscriptions to make money from the AI tools. Let's discuss with Vigistron Novas and Google's vice president and general manager of Ads and Commerce. There's always been a relationship at least you know, for me personally as well, between Google searching and then getting.
Speaker 5: To a product.
Speaker 2: But in AI mode, that's what we're talking about here. AI mode there's just a more direct interaction to a transaction right where you can go ahead and buy something that's right.
Speaker 5: How big are moments that for Google?
Speaker 12: It is a massive moment for us. We see this as not just a big moment for Google just sort of stepping back in the last year, what we see is shoppers have really changed their behaviors they are now Typically shoppers had to pick between shopping fast or shopping smart, and with AI, that trade off is kind of disappearing. And therefore businesses now need a new playbook and a lot of what they're doing now is all about how to empower them and an AI mode. What we're seeing is people's search behavior is completely evolving, from keyword search to conversation or search, they upload pictures, There's so much multimodal input that comes in, and that's just a moment for us to rethink how we do the whole thing.
Speaker 5: VIJA.
Speaker 2: Anyone that watched the Super Bowl will know that the inclusion of ads within a generative AI tool is let's not say controversial, but that people are deciding if it's what the consumer wants. Right, if you're interacting with an AI do you want an AD to pop up? And you've been testing different ad formats as part of this, what do you think the consumer wants?
Speaker 12: Yeah, obviously we spend a lot of time figuring out what consumers want. We've had a twenty five year history in satisfying human curiosity with search. In all of these experiences, as have been a big part of that, and they work because they're helpful and assistive to the person in the moment. Now, with what's happening with AI mode, what we see is the conversational modality is changing. It is a moment for us to reimagine what ads are possible and what will actually work. And there's a lot of experimentation that we're doing. In fact, we have a couple of announcements on that, but the foundations of what makes this work continue from what we've learnt all these years, and that's really based on a foundation of trust and safety.
Speaker 3: Trust safety then tell us about how you become entrepreneurial in your thinking, how you become creative in your thinking that these don't feel unnerving to the purchaser.
Speaker 4: They feel natural, organic and useful.
Speaker 9: Let me actually give you an example.
Speaker 12: So let's say you're in AI mode and you want to purchase a lamp for your bedroom and you talk to the you tell AI mode about your the de call you like it's a modern decor, you want a certain kind of lamp, this is a color, And you get to a point where you know the product that you want, you see the product that you want, the feature that we just launched today, lets you purchase it right there.
Speaker 9: In that moment.
Speaker 12: Now you're still very much in control of the purchase. However, a lot of the grunt work of getting from what I want to when I have it is removed in this process.
Speaker 9: So this feels a system.
Speaker 12: This feels natural, and it's based on the same principles that we've.
Speaker 9: Done a lot of things before. Direct offers.
Speaker 3: Who can I buy from when I found the perfect lamp? Is it just at saan Wayfair? You've got partnerships there. How is this expanding across the entire remit of partners that you have.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So direct office is an opportunity for retailers to provide us a very specialized discount that our AI actually matches with people during their shopping journeys and gives them this very personalized discount, and it.
Speaker 9: Allows retailers to just close the.
Speaker 12: Sale in that moment because they motivate people to do this. And the way it's going to scale is just we're currently running.
Speaker 9: A pilot with a lot of retailers.
Speaker 12: There will be more that and come on board and they just have to participate.
Speaker 9: And this is a new ad format.
Speaker 2: The technology needs to work for me. It's still a technology story. So you want whatever appears in AI mode to be relevant to the query. You know, that has been a criticism of other generatsive AI tools. What's come up in front of me has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. How's Google solving for that?
Speaker 9: There are many aspects to that.
Speaker 12: I think it goes back to the foundation cod foundations of search in general. We are in the constant quest to make the results more relevant. One of the things that can help in this space is also understanding the context of the user better and AI mode is good in that sense because we do have the opportunity to go back and forth with the user.
Speaker 9: So the questions we have as a follow on all of these things help us learn a little bit.
Speaker 12: More about the person, so we have the best shot at producing results that are more relevant for them.
Speaker 3: Very briefly, you talked about safety and privacy. It's a criticism particularly of Elizabeth Warren, for example, worrying that you're pushing people into making well purchases that they otherwise wouldn't there privacy, how do you tackle that.
Speaker 4: The way.
Speaker 12: The fact that the foundations is people today have choice to go purchase something or not. There are many many opportunities that you have to click on that buy button in many places, in many different products. Those same principles of control and choice continue to exist in this domain as well, and it's still on the person to choose to click on that button and make that purchase.
Speaker 3: VIDIA, it's been great having you Google's VideA Universe, and we thank you. Coming up Twilio founder Jeff Lawson. It's got a new company. It's a nuclear company. He joins us to discuss the energy startup four hundred and fifty million dollars Series A. That's next disciplining big tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. Checking in on these markets which have been whipswored by macro data. By of course, jobs coming in stronger than expected. What does that mean for an overall policy from the Federal Reserve in terms of rate cuts coming maybe July rather than June. But I'm looking at individual stock store on the move. Check out the earnings story coming from Lyft, a surprise revenue miss on their fiscal fourth quarter.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 3: Bookings are good, people are wanting to ride with Lyft, But what about that profitability therein What about the revenue drivers?
Speaker 4: What about the expansion outside the US.
Speaker 3: We're going to have that conversation with the CEO a little bit later, as you can see a painful day off by fifteen percent, move on to some of the other just keep indexes.
Speaker 4: Look, this is the pushing the pull in the market. Software.
Speaker 3: We have more anxiety about the latest AI formats, LM developments, latest ways in which business models are getting disrupted, whether it's in your financial services, whether it's in your legal services, but also whether more broadly it's about what software is going to do for you in the longer term and how much you can charge for it. Software under pressure again down three point six percent. That rotation continues, but still the Kapax is there. Still the hardware is there. Still the high bandwidth memory.
Speaker 4: Anxiety and lack of it is there. And Micron goes higher.
Speaker 3: So we're seeing still those chip maker's ed in the green.
Speaker 4: What are you looking at?
Speaker 5: It's the private markets.
Speaker 2: Surging demand for electricity is powering big investments and energy among them. Fusion startup Inertia, co founded by Twilio founder former chairman and CEO Jeff Lawson, which just closed a four hundred and fifty million dollars Series A funding round. Jeff Lawson, co founder and CEO of Inertia's with us. It's good to have you back on Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 5: Thanks great to be there.
Speaker 2: A completely different field. It's not just fusion. I think that let's start by you introducing us to Inertia, because a fusion powered plant is completely continent your case, and you cracking extremely powerful lasers, a sentence I never thought i'd say on this show. Take it from there.
Speaker 13: Well, Inertia is the commercial fusion energy company. That's because in order to commercialize the technology, you need to prove the science. So we are resting on the scientific proof that it was made several years ago. You probably read about it at Laurrence Livermore National Lab, and now we are here to take it out of the lab and bring it to the grid. And we do that in three ways. One, of course, start with proven science. Number two, we're gonna go build the world's most powerful laser. In fact, the laser we're gonna build is a million times more powerful than the one they use over at Laurence livermore it's twenty times more efficient and one tenth the size. Then we're gonna go build the world's first fusion fuel target manufacturing plant. And then lastly, we're gonna bring all those things together into a grid scale one point five gigawatt power plant that we hope to bring online in the twenty three.
Speaker 5: There's a lot there.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of we are going to with lasers, like we break the story about Substrate for example, which is also using X rays in lithography that was born out of the National Labs here in California. There's some interesting tangents there. That's all to say, it sounds like you probably need four hundred and fifty million dollars to get started. If you're gonna pull all of this off. What's the first priority.
Speaker 13: Well, usion energy is not a chief endeavor, so yes, it will be capital intensive. That's why we're so happy to be starting off with such a great group of investors for our Series A. And if you think about it, commercialization really requires three things. First of all, you need proven science, so we've got that. Second is you need a great team. And so for a team to go commercialize, you've got my co founder and US the lead designer of the experiment at Laurence Livermore that achieved this huge milestone. My other co founder might Done ran the program that designed the power plant based on that experiment. And then I'm bringing business experience to the domain as well. And so you look at the team that we're building, which is a team that isdigned to commercialize. And the third thing you need is funding. And that's why this funding announcement is such a big part of our story.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is you hit while the iron is hot, so to speak, in terms of a need, an energy need, and it's coming from the very top.
Speaker 4: It's coming from the administration.
Speaker 3: Just listen to what a key administration official told us today.
Speaker 14: Now we're facing this AI arms raised with China. We need more power, we need energy. The way to have energy addition is to stop stop getting rid of the stuff that already works. And of course that includes our fossil fuel baseload and the PGM market. Seventy percent of the power was coming from hydrocarbons during those storms. I mean, America and the world is dependent on it is going to be in long future.
Speaker 3: US and Teri Sectuary there Doug Bergham speaking Jeff, how quickly can you provide this very much needed alternative energy source.
Speaker 13: Well, I think investment in new energy sources is always a long term play. No matter what kind of energy you're talking about, it takes time to develop the technology. Our goal is to have the first fusion pilot plant online in the twenty thirties available to start producing grid scale energy. And our solution is a grid scale answer to our energy problems, which can provide enough power to power a million homes or a medium to large sized city at any one point in time.
Speaker 5: And that's just the first plant.
Speaker 13: After that we'll move on to building the second, the third, the fourth, and keep stamping these things.
Speaker 3: Out, stamping these fusion things out, which could go either direction.
Speaker 4: I love talking about the big lasers. I also love talking about big magnets. Jack. Why was this the technology you bet on when it comes to nuclear fusion.
Speaker 13: Well, the reason why we're betting on the laser based fusion approach is because it has actually worked. The basic science of our approach thanks to more than sixty years of work in the national labs and more than thirty billion dollars invested by the government to get to this huge milestone where it actually produced energy, and so now that is the time when you want to go commercialize. And that experiment was first proven in December of twenty twenty two, but since then has been now run many times and in fact increase the yield or the amount of energy it creates multiple fold. And so that's why this is the time to take it out of the lab and bring it to the grid because of the proven science that has demonstrated.
Speaker 2: Is the skepticism the pause is that we have been talking about this technology for quite a long time. Projections are always wrong. And when it gets commercialized, do you have a kind of line of sight to that, will you do it in California, for example, or is that just not realistic in this state? You're looking elsewhere in the United States. Give us the kind of like plans operationally to make this real absolutely well.
Speaker 13: We have a twelve to twenty four month period right now where we are approving the design validation of the things we're going to go manufacture. Then we've got a multi year stage where we're going to go actually make the prototypes of our laser units of our target manufacturing plant, and after that that's when we break round on the plant itself, where we put the plant we have not yet decided. I think that's up for a determination over the next several years. But the key thing for us is that this is not about basic science. The thing that introduces a lot of uncertainty into these types of innovations is basic science. You never know if it's going to work tomorrow or a decade or one hundred years from now, or maybe never.
Speaker 5: But when you're talking about.
Speaker 13: Engineering, bringing a product to market, doing an industrial scale up to go build bigger laser, there's more targets. You know, those are the kinds of things that are predictable. Think about you know, Apple. Every year they're bringing a brand new, really hard to manufacture, incredibly innovative device to market in terms of our new iPhones, and they figure out how to take it to a factory and make a billion of them. Well, that's basically what our approach is. It's just we're making lasers and targets and bringing those together into a plant.
Speaker 2: Jeff, over a period of many years, you came on this program as the leader of a public company, whether the stock was up, down or sideways, and in difficult moments right now, software, which was your former love, former domain, is having a difficult moment because people are concerned that AI will just render it obsolete. Which you just tell me what you're making of that moment and you know your former company, but the field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 13: I mean I did make this call back then, which was to say that I believe that software as a service companies would struggle in this AI era. Not because people are going to go ask Claude to go just make them their own SaaS. I don't think that's the reason, but because per seat pricing is going to be a big challenge. In fact, services that are back end infrastructure APIs like tulio is, I think those are the services that win because they provide the services that agents are going to be able to plug into and be able to build all sorts of new and interesting use cases. But I think the idea that you've got a workflow that's based on a number of employees you have doing that workflow, I think those companies can get disrupted.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what you're seeing in the markets right now.
Speaker 3: And Jeff, is it an overreaction from your perspective because many are just throwing everything out baby with bath water, rather than being discerning about whether this is a platform engagement, whether or not it's just a change in the way of pricing the offering in the future.
Speaker 4: Rather than having to rebuild from the ground up.
Speaker 13: Well, I'm firmly in the camp of not throwing away babies with bathwater, and so I think that over time investors will discern which companies are well poised for success in this era as well as which ones are going to struggle because they have the innovator's dilemma based on their pricing models.
Speaker 2: Jeff Lawson, co founder, CEO of Inertia, former CEO and co founder of Twitter, really appreciate all of that. Thank you very much. Carry it more news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's time now for talking tech. Up ed and first up AI. Humanoid robotics start up Atronics raise five hund twenty million dollars in a new funding round, valuing the company more than five point five billion dollars now. The fresh capital will support the commercialization of its Apollo robot and help expand scale its systems.
Speaker 9: Plus.
Speaker 3: Chinese AI firm Jpoo says it is set to release GLM five, an upgrade to its flagship model with a new version is designed to handle more complex coding and ingenetic tasks, putting it in direct competition with Anthropics clawed Opus. She says GLM five will officially roll out on Thursday, and China's top chip maker s miic or Smith is wanting that the surge and AI chip spending.
Speaker 4: Maybe pulling forward years.
Speaker 3: Of future demand, increasing the risk that some data.
Speaker 4: Center capacity can ultimately sit ig.
Speaker 3: AI related infrastructure investment is projected to exceed three trillion dollars in the next five years, according to Moody's Ratings.
Speaker 2: Okay, coming up, we'll discuss lifts and with LIFT CEO David Risher.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg Tech. Okay.
Speaker 2: Shares of lifted down around fifteen percent, on track for the biggest drop since August of twenty twenty four. The stock's under pressure, but in the company's earnings, the company kind of set out on working on a global expansion and new product offerings. Lift CEO David Risher is here with us in San Francisco. I want to go to the core business because you know, I'm going to get to Roba Taxi shortly. But you know, like the things that are good for you are black Chaufford rides, airports, those are higher value and so like my interpretation of reading all the analyst response at least is that they looked at the kind of profit outlook and said, that's a bit below what we expected. What were the factors behind that? If those kind of high value segments are doing.
Speaker 15: Great, I mean, it's so much a good question, right, Look, we had a blow up order and so record bookings, accelerating, record profits, never been higher, record cash flow, record customers. Okay, so all that is really good, and what it shows is the customer obsession is what drives profitable growth.
Speaker 5: Now there's no question it.
Speaker 15: Sounds like analysts are looking at things like margin, but as you just pointed out, a lot of our biggest growth is actually in the highest value mode, it's highest margin modes. So we've got a lot of conviction that we're in a good place and only getting better.
Speaker 2: You and I spent some time together at the end of last year and we went kind of a bit deeper on the robotypes plan. Yeah, it's through partnerships and it's leveraging what you believe is a strength in fleet management.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: Succinctly update us on everything that's due to happen, then please.
Speaker 15: Oh my good I mean, this is gonna be a big year for self driving cars, right, and let's start with sort of the big picture. When self driving cars come on to a network like cars, it tends to expand the market. And you would expect that because it's a cool new product. It's reliable. You know, you can kind of space out, you can text and not worry about a driver over hearing a phone call something like that. So that's really good. Okay, So then what happens is you've got to make sure that you're well positioned with all the best players in the market. If you're on our in our business, we are. We've got way more partnership as you know. We've got a buy do partnership that we've just announced is going to be live in London later this year. We just worked out an agreement with the city of Hamburg in Germany to be the first robotaxi provider there. So that's wonderful. So you've got the partnerships, you've got the cities lined up, and now you've got to be able to manage this fleet. And as you just said, this is not the sexy part, but it's so important. You've got to be able to make sure these cars are charged, clean and ready to go. We have a flex Drive subsidiary that's been doing that for years. We think we're the best in class, and our goal is to be maybe five percent cheaper than any other place with higher quality to put robo taxes on the network.
Speaker 3: Cheaper That doesn't immediately make me think profit driving David in that way. And so like talk about your targets. You've got this one billion EMIT del by twenty twenty seven and Lumberg Intelligence is warring.
Speaker 4: That looks pretty ambitious at this stage.
Speaker 15: Well, so when I say cheaper, I mean the lowest cost way right. And that's the thing is, I want our cost position to be really good. To your point, like our goals, which we set out a couple of years ago, our top line growth of twenty of fifteen percent mid teens.
Speaker 5: Year on year.
Speaker 15: We're very much on track for that, and bottom line growth getting to a billion dollars of adjusted EBADOT which will be four percent margin.
Speaker 5: Very much on track for that.
Speaker 15: But what it means is you've got to be really smart about managing your costs. You've got really good about kind of managing your quality, and we're doing really well on both.
Speaker 5: We've just made progress.
Speaker 15: As I say, we've got our best profitable, highest profitable quarter just to bask you.
Speaker 3: For I think therefore, go back to the av world because there is this ongoing anxiety that the competition is just going to get so fierce?
Speaker 4: Are you set up to win?
Speaker 3: What are you saying to convince the investor base they shouldn't be setting off your shareside this?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think that the way to think about avs is they're going to be good for the whole industry, the rideshare industry, because, as they say, it's a good new product at a lower cost. And I think why we are particularly well positioned is we have demand that runs to the two three four million people a day level, So we have lots of demand for this, and you know what they want.
Speaker 5: They want a fast, reliable pick up. It's going to get them where they want to go.
Speaker 15: Sometimes they'll want to be driven by a human, sometimes by a robot.
Speaker 5: Just kind of depends.
Speaker 15: And so this idea of a hybrid network, I think it's a real strength, particularly when you sort of marry it with fleet is.
Speaker 2: There a case study for you to reflect on in real terms. Then like Atlanta, mame mobility. What are you learning there, by the way, what's the status of it in terms of like fully, driver lists, et cetera.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 15: So we're in Atlanta, have we still have safety drivers in the car just to make sure everything is going well? And you know, because we want this to be an incredibly high quality, incredibly safe experience.
Speaker 5: What we're learning is people love it. I mean, this is the interesting thing.
Speaker 15: People before they when they hear about av's are often a little skeptical. They sound like, I'm not sure I'm going to be excited about taking a car that's driven by a robot. You know, five minutes later they've kind of fallen in love.
Speaker 5: And that cialization is highlight. What's the mentric? Yeah, super high, super high.
Speaker 15: Basically, I mean as much supply as we can get we can put on the road, because there's plenty of demand for these things. I think if you want to look at a case study for broadly speaking, maybe look at the transition from DVDs to streaming. Right it's a similar sort of technology shift, and look how big streaming is today compared to DVDs in the past.
Speaker 5: It's going to be that kind of wave, Stevin.
Speaker 3: You know what else, I love a lot of New Yorkers love the bikes, and boy has this snow made things really difficult. Hate to get personal hit, but I mean, look at these pictures. I am really struggling to get my bike out. I'm really struggling to get it back in. How much of a hit is this to have to refund customers? How much are you thinking about what the city and you can work together with to make this a really costly business for you in these sorts of temperatures.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean, look, this has been a big, big learning for us. Obviously there's a huge snowstorm. I'm told that we're about seventy five percent dugout right now, which is amazing, but that takes a lot of work, a lot of just physical labor to make sure the bike stations are available. I think people have taken something like half a million rides in the last couple of days, which is pretty amazing considering the cold and the snow. Anyway, working super closely with the city on it really making sure that the availability of these bikes, which as you say, we run behind the scenes as highs we can get it.
Speaker 2: I asked Bloomberg Tech producer Justin Now to pop his head out the window and check, because like here in the bay, obviously we don't get confronted by snow. But you know, I went back and read my history about the kind of micro mobility part of the business. It is a smaller part on revenue spasis, but clearly it's still important to you.
Speaker 5: It is. How important?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean, look, as you say, financially it's relatively small, but this is the future. Look, when you talk about av's that's part of the future. When you talk about micromobility, people Once people get on an e bike, it's I say this sometimes it's kind of like meeting a person who's just started pickleball, Like they have to tell you about it, how amazing this thing is same with e bikes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So it's like, so this is sometimes you can see the future.
Speaker 15: And if you look out three, five, ten years, you're going to see more people on e bikes. You're going to see more people in self driving cars, and you know, and of course you're also going to see people in human driven cars.
Speaker 5: And that's what we're building.
Speaker 4: Just a personal request. I really want less e bikes, one of the bogs down one the ones. We will fight for them. Here lift David Rischer.
Speaker 9: So appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: I got to think about my health, David. I've got to think about my health.
Speaker 15: Thank you, gotcha.
Speaker 3: Well, coming up, we're going to head to a discussion on Instagram and Adam Massari is set to testify today in a jury trial examining whether social media companies built their products to be addictive for kids. More on that next. This is a Bloomberg Tech. Later today, Instagram head Adam Maisari will become the first social media boss to take the stand in a case alleging the products, like those from Meta and YouTube are designed deliberately to addict users. A's discussed this from Bloomberg social media reporter Alex Levine. There are plenty of cases, plenty of claims, but it really does start in La today with Anna Massari.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 16: And I think the interesting thing is we've seen these conversations play out over so many years. At this point, Massi testified before Congress already, as did you know many of the big tech CEOs, including some of them like Zuckerberg, who we're going to be seeing.
Speaker 9: Testify in this trial.
Speaker 16: Most Area testified half a decade ago, and we're still start of talking about the same things. I think the key thing that is different now is that most of the past legal challenges to social media companies have centered on the content that users have posted, and for the most part, tech companies have been able to wiggle their way out of any accountability for that because of a little known statue called Section two thirty, which basically just lets them off the hook legally for things that people post on the platforms. The key difference now is that it's not about the content that users are posting that they're arguing is harmful. What they're arguing is harmful is actually the design. So they're making this a personal injury. They're making personal injury claims here, saying that it is the algorithm that prioritizes engagement, that it is the scrolling, that that is what is that it is personal injury, the personal injury being like addiction being body dysmorphia and all these issues we've heard about, and that it's more about that than it is about.
Speaker 5: The actual content.
Speaker 2: Alex, That's the bit that I once understand, and so in this case, right just go a bit deeper. The plaintiffs are arguing what has happened to them, and of course, like when Miss Massi takes the stamp, what is it that the companies themselves or the platforms are arguing in response about the addictiveness or not of the design of the platform.
Speaker 16: So a lot of the claims that you know, we've been hearing over the years about the sorts of mental health harms to young users are going to be some of the same things that we were hearing about in this trial. One of the plaintiff's lawyers, just I believe earlier this week, was describing these platforms as if they're a digital casino. So we're going to hear a lot of the same sort of addiction, you know, addiction claims and sort of what that has led to from a mental health perspective. I think what the company is really going to be focusing on, and that we might hear from most SARI today, is that they believe that they have, you know, the sorts of programs and features and tools in place within the company that are really showing that they do care about protecting children. I think though that that that it remains to be seen. It remains to be seen sort of what else is in the testimony today?
Speaker 3: It's also about legal precedents, right, because we're going to have meta But then we're looking to TikTok and others.
Speaker 16: Sure, and I think and so TikTok and Snap settled their pieces of this.
Speaker 5: They're not off the hook for for you know, other for for like.
Speaker 16: Other parts of the trials that are going to be playing out through the rest of the first quarter or second quarter. But I think that what we've seen is that a lot of times these companies just sort of try to throw money at the issue to make it go away. And I think, and I think, here we're we're at this may be the start of a much longer process.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Alex Lavigne, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: That forgets to check out the podcast, you can find it on the terminal, on a line on Apple and Spotify.
Speaker 9: This is Bloomberg Tech m