Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass Podcast.
Speaker 2: The Ravens were gearing up for a Week eighteen game against the Pittsburgh Steelers to close out the regular season. Today we had a chance to hear from head coach John Hartball.
Speaker 3: Good seeing everybody, appreciate you guys being here. Chad just informed that is a massive hole in the sun. You guys hear about that sixty ears spitting out gamma rays. Does that mean we're all going to be like Bruce Banner Hawks? That'd be amazing, weren't they? Okay, on that note, what questions you have?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: What kind of weather are you preparing for? N I guess it'd be a little colder with a hole in the sun. Probably we're preparing for cold weather and rain and sleep and a you know, grass field is going to be probably a little bit, a little bit loose, so getting ready for that, especially.
Speaker 5: This rivalry with Pittsburgh. How do you think that has influenced the locker room and especially kind of the bitter taste of the left game.
Speaker 6: You guys play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't think no matter who you play in this particular game, in this situation, there would be no lack of motivation. I mean, our guys love to play. The pro football players. They want to go out there and they want to play, and they want to play while they want to win and they want to put their best foot forward. The fact that it's division rival, the Steelers, that certainly doesn't lessen it. You know, that's it's always a very important game for us. It's a team that we respect very much. We also understand the type of game that we're always playing against those guys, so our guys are looking forward to it.
Speaker 7: He's been kind of the guy the last couple of weeks now that they've been winning a couple of games.
Speaker 3: How has he kind of impacted that offense? Well, I mean, obviously they've been very success with him in there. I think he's uh, he's he's making I think he's reading the offense out. They've got, you know, kind of they've adjusted, they've kind of written certain directions and away from certain directions in terms of what they're running, what they're calling. Uh, he's operating the offense really well, putting the ball where it's supposed to go based on the coverage, and they're running the ball really well. And he's done really well so, uh, you know, just kind of looked at him and how he's it's there's still their offense, but his version of it is what we're studying. The video you guys pusted the pro bow announcements obviously, and particularly striking.
Speaker 4: I think it was maybe.
Speaker 3: Patrick Queen's reaction how much how much it meant to him. I mean, was that kind of any thing for you to see? I mean, you know how much he took them to heart back when he was a twenty one year old rookie, and was cool to see that. Well, yeah, it was great to see it. I mean, you know, it's very deserving. I thought he played great last year too, and to see it recognized by the peers and the fans and everybody. To see that video with Eric, it was really cool to see. I mean, I thought that was great with all the guys and yeah, just you know, it means a lot of the guys to be recognized like that. It's a pro football player. When you're a pro football player, it always it's always strikes me, is how much it means to the guys Every year when you make those announcements.
Speaker 8: What's it like for you when you're revealing one by one in front of the whole team, and what's that like?
Speaker 3: It's it's fun, man Like we of course we've got technology, so you know, we'll get the screen, we get some drama. Did the lights a little bit? All of a sudden the picture pops up for the player and uh goes crazy. So it's it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 9: I guess how much of the I don't say like press, but the kind of gap scheme that it's placed to run, they.
Speaker 6: Have been effective using it. You guys have been helping down like that kind of stuff this year.
Speaker 9: How important are how much are you kind of looking towards to how you guys defend that did this week as a repair?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's uh, it's uh. They run. They run a couple of versions. They run of gaps games, they run you know, we're called duo with no fuller. You know they've been running that for years. They usually do it with the tight ends side with extra tight ends over there. Sometimes they'll bring the wide receivers down there and insert them or or sift the backside and then they run the puller gap skins. You know, the power more than anything else with power. Oh and they've been great at that, and I think the biggest thing is it's a downhill run, but it can also bounce. You know, if you stop it up inside and you don't control your redges, those two backs will take it outside of the second and they're both hard to tackle. So it'll be a big challenge for us every week stands on its own and stopping the run will be, you know, job one force in this game.
Speaker 4: John. Opportunity do you think with Tyler?
Speaker 10: I mean, we really haven't seen much this year because Lamar has been there for all.
Speaker 4: What comportunity do you think this presents.
Speaker 6: For him as well?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a big opportunity. I mean, you know, go out there and then play against the defense like this, you know, one of the top defenses.
Speaker 4: In the league.
Speaker 3: It's it's a great opportunity for him. But he's ready for it. You know, I'm looking forward to seeing him play.
Speaker 9: The focus is on just execution at that quarterback spot. But is there any part of you can see how you know differently Tyler kind of it's from Lamar and you know, obviously the same kind of team, same play caller, but so far there up the business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's that's true for for any quarterbacks or any players. You know, everybody brings their own stamp to it, you know. And then as a coach, I think you recognize that. And when you play guys like you're talking about Mason Rudolph, it's the same exact thing. They have their different style. You kind of recognize that. It is fun to watch.
Speaker 9: And again, a man which will not have a record below five hundred, it's pretty a standing market over the years.
Speaker 3: What's your what do you pregame conversations? Have they evolved over the time, Like from the beginnings, we're both young coaches, and now that some of the guys have been around, I appreciate that both young coaches. Yeah that's good. You mean yeah, well you said we were young coaches. Yeah, you're right, Okay, I guess I'll take it. It's uh, it's it's it's like any relationship. I mean, it's it's certainly grown involved over the years. I have great respect for Mike for what he's done, for their organization, for what they've done. I think his stamp is on the football team without question. You know, they're a team that plays winning football. They don't beat themselves, They don't have a lot of penalties, they don't turn the ball over. And then his style is kind of ever since he got there, they've been about playing good, solid football and then being physical and then creating big plays, you know, on both sides of the ball. So I think that's there again now like it always is, and just come to understand that. I think they probably have a pretty good understanding and how we like to play, and probably Mike and I probably have a pretty good understanding how each other coaches his team, you know, So there won't be too many surprises probably that way. But it's an honor and I am I'm grateful for it and definitely don't take that part of it lightly. It's a good competitive relationship and it's been amazing.
Speaker 1: That was head coach Jehan Harball.
Speaker 2: We also got the news this week of the Ravens having seven players selected to the Pro Bowl. One of those guys is the first time Pro bowler is linebacker.
Speaker 1: Had your queen. We talked with him today.
Speaker 3: Gotcha you so much been to you when you got the news. Yes, I guess you probably got the news there before video there, Yes, really what was kind of going through your mind? That's like emotion.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Before they called me up and was like the don't want to talk to you upstairs.
Speaker 11: I was like, oh my god, what did I do? You don't sitting there nervous and man, uh he's just sitting there. He's like what the blank? Stories like you made it? And I'm like, may what And it was like bro a, yeah, okay. It was exciting though. I mean it's just so much working, dedication, and just so many sacrifices going to then for people like around the league just to you know, respect my game and get a nod to me.
Speaker 4: It's just it's incredible.
Speaker 7: You're very you know, hard on yourself at times and about about your plane even over the years of your career. Just you know how proud of you just kind of love yourself up being able to converse.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm real proud. It's just I had tol Hi mom like, oh we can have a go uh. I was like if I don't, if I don't make it, I don't even care no more. I was like, I N I think I did everything I needed to on film, like to show my talents and show what u uh the work that I put in.
Speaker 4: So it was just l at a point. I was at peace with everything, uh s beforehand.
Speaker 11: So it's just I am proud of myself thoughing just knowing that I still haven't hit my ceiling yet and there's still a lot of games like to be played for us right now. It's just just everything's building up at the perfect time.
Speaker 1: Okay, Patrick, who was it?
Speaker 3: Who's the first call you made? Coffee?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 11: My mom, mom and dad? Uh, I really ain't called. Just sent a text out cause I was coming into the facility and stuff and I a whole bunch of stuff in moving fast and all that such uh happened and stuff. So I had shot them a text and just uh let them know it it.
Speaker 1: I what's kind of the emotion of of telling them I'm sure that neither their big your biggest cheerlead or just what was the I don't know, yo, just you made.
Speaker 11: Sark for them Since then, but a whole lot of capital letters in the text messages that deal was senter.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: Just everybody's was just so excited, so proud. Just I mean, the feelings can't even explain the feelings that just go through your body. Uh, just knowing that you made them proud. Uh, just knowing everything that we prayed for and everything that I worked for, that we all worked for.
Speaker 4: Uh, just being able to come out and showcase.
Speaker 10: Were you were you thinking about the whole four years, cause I mean you've been You've been very.
Speaker 3: Honest about the fact that Lee Lee know it's easier in probably years one to two. Yeah, all that hit you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it just the first the first two years were definitely uh rough, uh for me and the fan base and everybody uh that's involved. But uh, I knew myself. I knew uh the type of person I am. I don't run from a fight, and uh, it was just some mu's worked out. Like I said, I had to put in and understanding that I came in uh to the lead raw uh young uh, but not that much experience under my belt. So I knew it was gonna be a building process, but I didn't expect it to be that hard. And honestly, you know, it's just it. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I wouldn't y you know, uh redo anything that I I've been through, I would still face everything like I did.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 11: I think that's what Bill's character and I think that put me in a position that I am right now just to uh, you know, be so confident in myself and just u uh being able to cherish every moment.
Speaker 7: Patrick all year you and pro Corne and Adam and that you're the best linebacker do in the in the league. How happier are you to see that you are the two guys representing the inside line back the crew in the.
Speaker 4: End or so It's pretty dope. It's pretty dope.
Speaker 11: Uh, anytime you get to share share that man, uh, being a teammate with him and the type of person he is and uh how he plays the game and just be able to share that kind of accolate with somebody. I mean, it just means a lot, uh, just like I respect this game or respect him as a person, uh, just everything about him, and you know, uh being able to share that is huge.
Speaker 1: How you're basically emotional obviously in that video of the day post. Did you remember a time before in your football player that something brought out this much emotion?
Speaker 11: And yet not not even cause I don't any think we don't want to not out that happy honestly. Uh, It's just it's I think it's just on a different scale, like the whole world is like you know, basically saying Congress like, uh, you played, you had a hell of a season, and it's just it's it's not a feeling. I think that could relate to that. Honestly, you at you say, dope.
Speaker 3: You just really know what's gonna happen after the season in terms of where you are. Is that is that in your mind at all? Is that freeing how you're thinking about this run?
Speaker 11: Or is that just you know, just shoved out of it comes up every now and then by the end of the day. Man, I'm happy where I'm at right now, honestly, And you know, we still out, Like I said, we got a lot of games out to play with that one goal that we all want. So if we achieved that, I think everything else to take care of itself.
Speaker 4: Patrick.
Speaker 5: We can see the the KT tape on your shoulder and I've seen some things from games.
Speaker 10: What's the discussion like this week is you know, you know.
Speaker 5: You could probably maybe be one of the guys who gets some rested versus playing against the Steelers.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna suit up. I'm soon up, so I'm excited to get out there. I'm excited to play.
Speaker 1: That was linebacker Patrick Queen.
Speaker 2: Another Pro bowler on this team is center Tyler linderbob first round pick, was selected in his second NFL season. He's really established himself as one of the best centers in all of football, and he reacted to that recognition today on the podium.
Speaker 8: We told a little bit of video when Eric was kind of breaking it to you.
Speaker 4: How's a feel when you kind of.
Speaker 8: Get that honor of knowing that you're among the best, that you're at your position in the NFL.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, it feels good. I mean, especially you know year two. You know, it's not really an accolade I try to play for. Accolades aren't something I try to play for. But I think it's it happens when the team's playing well. You know, you're gonna get more guys that, you know, get recognized. You know, I said an interview yesterday. You know, I think a lot of credit goes to my teammates as well too, you know, the guys they play next to making my job a little bit easier, you know, and then you know, the coaching staff and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But you know, it was a good feeling.
Speaker 10: No, I mean, it wasn't a good feeling Initially when I got I said, someone said I had to go up and talk to EDC but because you know, you never know. But no, it was good when he told me. You know, the cameras we're in there and it's a pretty cool experience. I don't know, I don't know what we're going to talk about, but you never know.
Speaker 3: Your first round picks a year.
Speaker 4: Ago, both in the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 3: You share that with Kyle? What does that mean to him? Yeah, just you know, we continue to work, continue to each other.
Speaker 10: You know, guys on the Steam, there's like a good men that are deserving of being Pro Bowlers.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 10: I think there's a lot of talented guys on this team.
Speaker 3: Especially Kyle.
Speaker 10: Kyle can do a lot of different things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: You guys see it on the field, you know, and just in the locker room. He's a great guy too. So happy for him and proud of him, you know. But you know, I think a lot of guys can agree. You know, we still got another goal that we're chasing.
Speaker 5: So not to minimize your talent and your work ethic to get to this position, but is there anything that the Ravens did. We're about the way things work here that you think has kind of helped maximize your ability in your first two years year career.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Like I said, you know, we got a lot of good players on this team. You know a lot of guys around me that are really good and really talented players. So anytime you're surrounding yourself by elite talent, you know it's going to make you better.
Speaker 4: And I think it's definitely done that. You know, the first two years.
Speaker 10: Just continue to get better, learn from each other, I think is the biggest.
Speaker 8: Thing has been working offensive line has been different guys than me. Oh, I think it's you know, I think it's been good for us, you know, keeping guys fresh.
Speaker 10: Uh you know, you know we that deal with some injuries and we won't guys be fresh in the fourth quarter. And I think you know we've we've shown that and guys are continuing to get healthier and stronger, and we got a lot of guys on the line that can play good football.
Speaker 4: So whoever's in there, you.
Speaker 10: Know, we got one hundred trust and confidence and then they'll get the job done.
Speaker 3: It's finely.
Speaker 8: Coming out of college, you had your critics who talk about how small you were, and now you're pro bowlder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're always gonna have critics. You know, I still there's still critics. You know, our what even if you.
Speaker 10: Make the Pro Bowl. You know, at the end of the day, at the end of the day, you know, the Pittsburgh Stars are gonna care on Saturday if I'm a pro bowler and now I'm still gonna have to go out there and play.
Speaker 4: So you know, just.
Speaker 10: Enjoy it for whenever they said, you know, I made the problem, but I got to move ahead and you know, focus on this upcoming game and then into the playoff push because we're all chasing a goal. You know that that is bigger than Pro Bowls.
Speaker 4: You know, the guys.
Speaker 6: Around you contributed to to.
Speaker 3: That, to to your abilities. You can you accomplished.
Speaker 6: I'm just curious as a as a unit. What has made you guys so good?
Speaker 3: You know, we said in San Francisco.
Speaker 6: Game, we've seen other games. Is he continuity? Obviously the talents there, but it is a communication recognition. What stood out A.
Speaker 10: Yeah, uh, you know, I think one whenever you got a bunch of talented guys, you got to play together, and I think you know, we've can t to get better and better no matter who's in there, just you know, all five playing together. You know, it doesn't do any good if if four guys are playing playing well together and then one guy isn't. You know, you gotta that's the unique thing about the position is is the continuity, like you said, that needs to happen in order to be successful as a unit and just continue to make strides and strives to be better, and you know you want to be playing your best football towards you know, December and January, you know, I think, and then we're trying our hardest to get to that Point's.
Speaker 9: Sort of how to make best use of that extra week that you guys did dider.
Speaker 10: No, I haven't thought about it once. You know, we're you know, Steelers got our got our number the last game, and I think you know our goal is to go out here and win Saturday. So that's all our focus is right now. Obviously, you know, really kind of bitter finish to that game. It is that I know you want to win every game every week, But does that add some spice your motivation for you guys in the law firm this week?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean for sure, you know this is the AFC North.
Speaker 10: You know it's a it's a tough conference, competitive conference, and anytime you're playing AFC and or team you want to win.
Speaker 3: Your little brother, now, we're proud of your I don't know where are you.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Make sure you leave a rating and review and head over to the Lounge feed as well. Hit that subscribe button on both feeds, this one Ravens Press Pass podcast and the Lounge Feed to make sure that the new episodes get dropped into your podcast app as soon as they're available.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening and we'll be back with you tomorrow