Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nukeleman.
Speaker 2: This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f HF Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore. Welcome to the Bear Grease Render Podcast. My, oh my, what an incredible that's not a microwave beeping.
Speaker 1: I thought it was.
Speaker 2: I've got to figure out how to make that stop. Joe, it's my computer. Welcome to the Bear Grease Render. When people listen to this, this is gonna be after New Years. Did you know that first show of the New year, first show of the New year?
Speaker 1: What in honor? And I've got to my right, Joe.
Speaker 2: Wilson wearing the overalls making up for out so Brent. Brent isn't here, and Joe told me that he was going to be wearing his overalls, so.
Speaker 1: He did, Yeah, tu facka knife?
Speaker 2: Do you really? Are you serious? What are you carrying?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I got this one up here and it says it's a Tree Brand.
Speaker 1: Tree Brand.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, it's a nice little folder, and then lock blade folder and then over here I got that case double x. Oh this is your loaner. Yeah, Hayden, do you know about that? You bet?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: So if you ask Joe for a knife to scratch around on the rims of your truck or something.
Speaker 1: You'll be like, sure, use this one.
Speaker 4: He's kind of like that guy he's talking about early. What are you gonna use it for?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, nice, good work, good work, so Joe Wilson.
Speaker 2: Joe is famous, world famous for the World Championship Squirrel Cookoff.
Speaker 5: For cooking, but for hosts well for a lot.
Speaker 1: Of and other stuff too.
Speaker 2: Podcaster Sheep Dog Steak cooking, Bear Grease. Yeah, you've been on Bear Grease several times. So I'll introduce everybody to Joe's right is my lovely wife, mistery newkelemb Hi. Everybody, Great to see you, looking forward to talking with you. Uh skipping over our mystery guests, Bear John Newcomb making his second appearance on the Bear Grease render who of late. Good to see Bear Bear has been out. He went on a big expedition the other day. Just like told me, how haven't we been gone for a couple of days.
Speaker 1: I've been admiring those stories.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're true stories. They're true stories.
Speaker 1: I don't doubt them. They're great.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he just told me. He was like, I think that's all he would have told me. I think he would have just said, Dad, I'm gonna be gone for a couple of days, and just like expected that that was enough information. I'm like, Okay, where are you going going hunting?
Speaker 4: I can't I do that to my wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's not good.
Speaker 5: You got a break this habit before you get married.
Speaker 4: I get one of those spot things now, so she track me. Oh good, Yeah, that way if I have a mule flip over on me, you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's what it's for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's mainly what it's for. I have one to do that one time.
Speaker 2: So our mystery guests, Hayden pal, you bet glad to be here, man. So I met Hayden in person for the first time about thirty minutes ago. And so he's been here at the Global Headquarters Misty and I do him like I do every other guest that comes here. They want to talk to me, and I'm like, no, no, no, no, stop, don't talk now.
Speaker 4: Joe's one here done.
Speaker 3: We think Hayden's only got thirty minute. It's where the story is.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's about it, Joe.
Speaker 2: So if you're ever invited to this podcast, you should come thirty seconds early and be silent, and then when you walked in you could just we could just talk. But no, Hayden, great, great to have you. You're from Norman, Arkansas.
Speaker 4: In between there and Kata Gap. Yeah, I don't claim Norman.
Speaker 2: I don't know which is okay. Yeah, Norman's like where the big city folks.
Speaker 4: That's that's the high rollers. You got to watch this shit. They got double wids over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no times on the roof. I know he's we're joking, but we're being serious. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like wherever you live, the big city is always just a matter of yeah. Uh, it's a matter of context. So if you if you live somewhere like the big city, normans all of fifteen hundred people.
Speaker 4: Fifteen the three hundred and six.
Speaker 2: Okay, Norman's a little smaller than I remember, three hundred and forty six.
Speaker 5: Maybe, Okay, So what's cattle gap?
Speaker 4: Kettle Gap is ninety seven and two good coon dogs? All right?
Speaker 2: So we were talking. You know, my grandfather, Lewin Newcombe, pastors to church and cattle gap. Yeah, and so we were talking and it's possible that his grandfather went to Mount Gilliababist Church as possible. We're gonna we're gonna do some checking.
Speaker 4: We're gonna check it out. I actually takes my mom here in a minute now, Yeah, I'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: You should have brought your mom.
Speaker 4: I should have brought my mom.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't you have done so?
Speaker 2: So Hayden is the reason I invited Hayden three three prongs.
Speaker 1: He's a mule man, you bet.
Speaker 2: He's a musician, you bet. And he's from my home turf down in the Washtoss. That's right east west east east west, baby, that's right. Mountains run east west, even the only the only mountain range between the Appalachians and Rockies that run east and west. Joe, do you know? Do you know the orogeny of the washtall mountains? Big words sounds weird. It's a powerful word.
Speaker 1: Break it down.
Speaker 2: Erogeny is the word for mountain building. Look here, I have a I have a big book up here.
Speaker 4: Well, they're real mountains, they are mountains.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have a book about, uh, the origin of mountains in the Maria.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of courts. So because I see it all alongside the road for five dollars, five dollars, is that how much courts is?
Speaker 4: I was going to bring one for you, and I'm glad I didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you, Okay, we got, we got.
Speaker 2: We got to establish this real quick about once a year on the Bear Grease render. I like to go into a deep, deep history of the Washtall Those aren't mountains in orogeny. In orogeny, yeah, mountain formation. When the South American continent bumped into the North American continent, it buckled in the wash Talls and it caused a fold and when and when those there were sedimentary layers of rock that had been laid down by a shallow ocean. That when when the continent bumped into North America, it folded, causing intense heat and pressure, which makes what the Washington Mountains quartz crystals. Well, that's the Washington Mountains quartz crystals, metamorphic rock.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of slate down at college.
Speaker 3: It's a great place, great place for spring training of baseball, tea for real. Well, yeah, down there in Hot Springs. That's where all the Major League Baseball teams.
Speaker 4: Used to try the rest of Hot Springs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that's where Babe Ruth used to play down there and all those people.
Speaker 6: I think they've shifted to Arizona. Now, yeah, I think that's I don't think we do.
Speaker 5: Really. Spring training is huge in Phoenix, a good.
Speaker 1: Year, but it all started in Hot Springs.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well back to the interesting stuff. So the Washtall Mountains used to be ten thousand foot tall and snow covered.
Speaker 4: They declined about nine thousands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, today they're not quite that big. But uh no so so so hayden Is is from down there, and oh I got it. So so I'll come on not right now, umping right into it. Well, I want to ask you about the jar by your feet.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't want to tell you about it. Really, my buddy Ben Cogburn, I am, Well, what's back up? Me and my boss Rusty, we were he lives over in the ose Arts, but we were talking about I told him about coming here, and uh we were talking about coons because me and him both trapped, and I said, a coon is practically a small bear, and he was like yeah, it is. So then I started doing research and you can use the fat off of a coon just like a can of bear ill. So my buddy Ben Cogburn, he caught me too while I was at work, and that is what is in this jar.
Speaker 2: You rendered some coon grease.
Speaker 4: It looked a lot better than that.
Speaker 1: You should start.
Speaker 2: You should start a spur off podcast called coung grease.
Speaker 4: Well, if I knew how to do it, I would. I'm not very technicality.
Speaker 1: Bear describe what that looks like.
Speaker 4: Just take a swig of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just take a big drink of a bear look palatable.
Speaker 1: It looks like really watery. Don't judge a gravy. Don't judge water gravy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a it's kind of a chocolate brown. We were discussing how it looks compared to bear grease. Bear grease is uh, it looks different.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a little darker. But it has a great smell.
Speaker 2: There's there's no you wouldn't smell that grease and think, oh that's a coon.
Speaker 4: Now that's what it looked like.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go ahead.
Speaker 5: Oh it looked really good.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was like beautiful.
Speaker 2: Ever so coung grease.
Speaker 1: Nice work, I'm gonna nice. Don't mind. I think I'll rim this lid.
Speaker 4: Stick your fingertick your tongue off.
Speaker 2: Okay, Joe just got the lid and he's got a dollar.
Speaker 4: Stick your whole finger in that jar. Come on, get the good stuff.
Speaker 1: You got deeper? Okay, kind of gotta knock the chunks off of it.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 2: It's just some hair mm licking the finger.
Speaker 1: It's a fairly dry grease. Now what does that mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: You're awfully wet?
Speaker 3: Well so so it's almost like I don't know if you'd put it in a hinge on the door.
Speaker 4: It's not sticky.
Speaker 1: It's not sticky. Duck fat is a dry fat.
Speaker 4: It's supposed to be good for boots, conditioning, boots and stuff.
Speaker 1: It's it's doing a number on my lips.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: It ain't tingly or nothing like that. Okay, it's just.
Speaker 4: Uh like you're gonna go home and render some coode.
Speaker 3: But I could say, make a great lip bomb. What's that guy's name? He does the bee wax.
Speaker 5: Birds bees?
Speaker 1: Yep. I think we got Hayden Coon what it tastes like? What did it taste like?
Speaker 3: It's a real dry fat, man, I could tell that you probably overcooked it.
Speaker 4: I mean it was fast in a Dutch oven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quick, I think it clays the bear grease master, Joe. No, I'm not trying.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to be I'm just saying I could it tastes like whenever you've got your your drippings from your bacon inside the skillet, you could still taste like the crackling.
Speaker 1: That's so.
Speaker 2: This is a quart Mason jar and it's full just beyond the halfway point. That's quite a bit of coon fat to make that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I really didn't go just crazy on it.
Speaker 2: But I mean like you started probably with over a pound of would you say it's probably a pound? Probably a pound. That's pretty good yield.
Speaker 4: Though you say, yeah, there was a lot. When they started floating, I was like, Gody, Yeah, did you eat the crackling? My bloodhound did? Yeah, gotcha, he got to him before I could.
Speaker 3: It's not bad. I think he can make some chocolate chip cookies or something.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it's browning. That's good. Joe. You were gonna give me some fashion advice before we started.
Speaker 3: Well, I did something. I've been bald a long time, and I'll just tell you there's great pleasure for a man going to a barber shop. You get to sit there, watch Andy Griffith on the TV, read an ancient magazine, hear the local folklore. And since I went bald, I just kept my hair myself. And now I do have this shribbery on my face.
Speaker 1: Like you, Clay, that's a handsome beard. Joe.
Speaker 3: Well, Tuesday, I treated myself to getting a barber shop beard trim. Okay, Oh, lasted twenty minutes, had my eyes closed the whole time.
Speaker 1: Really well, I.
Speaker 3: Just I wasn't used to people jacking around on my face like that. And you know, they put that scolding hot rag on your face and the whole nine yards. And I was told not to trim it myself for three weeks because I'd already screwed it up. So wait, before I'd just been doing and probably what you do you get some wild hair?
Speaker 1: And are you? Are you? I feel like you're making a lot of assumptions about my beard.
Speaker 6: Making some assumptions. There's a lot of inferential things happening here.
Speaker 3: Look, it's kind of like I took a whole finger at Bear lookungrease, Minica. I'm just telling you for all the men out there, Okay, if you got an extra twenty.
Speaker 1: Bucks, go in sit down in that chair. Who did it?
Speaker 3: Some old gal at the barbershop? Okay, I don't know. It's one of those richie places there.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, what what barbershop? Was it? Hawk? Something?
Speaker 2: Because I've got a friend, a friend of the podcast here that I've never shamefully never gone Tom.
Speaker 6: I'll just be honest, I feel a responsibility to kind of calibrate everything that's being said for Bear John and just let them know not a good idea to refer to women as some old gal. Some old gales actually women who are who get to hold razors close to your face.
Speaker 3: With that.
Speaker 7: Well, your bears looks really good. Hudson, Hawk and Bentonville. Okay, okay, they did a fine job. That nice lady.
Speaker 4: If you rub some of that coon grease on your maybe that cures baldness too.
Speaker 5: Have you tried bease on my Oh you go to cure baldness.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of advantages to not having hair on top of you. You don't have to go get a haircut. Number one, you ain't gotta wash it. Number two, don't wash your head.
Speaker 1: You don't have to.
Speaker 2: You don't have to wash his hair because it's not there.
Speaker 3: The water just beads off the top. Hey, I've got to indoor shower.
Speaker 2: Let me let me uh. I want to give a little bit of information about what you just said, the foundations of it, because I just learned this.
Speaker 1: You know, they say that bear grease.
Speaker 2: The folklore around bear grease is that it's a cure for baldness. That's a that's a long time folklorts and the literature says it on the shirt. Yeah, it says it. It says on the shirt. Good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I learned.
Speaker 2: Where that came from is that when the Europeans first started interacting with Native Americans. The Native Americans, bear grease was a major part of their economy for all kinds of different reasons, and they extensively used, especially the tribes in the southeast that's where this came from, but probably other tribes used bear grease in their hair like they greased their hair like that was a major deal to bear grease their hair and Native American men had incredible.
Speaker 1: Hair, that's true story.
Speaker 2: And so the white guys that came over here, the Europeans that were all going bald and saw these Native Americans with big, beautiful hair, they assumed that it was the bear grease that keme from going bald.
Speaker 3: And it's so willing to be your test dummy, but I'm going to need a lot of pillow cases because I ain't leaping on some greasy pillow case.
Speaker 4: I feel like you got to catch it before you go ball that regrow hair. I don't think it will. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm concerned now that I know the history that this was a correlation not causation.
Speaker 2: Well, and its lasted long into folklore. I mean, I've had people we've sent, we've had and it's gone around the world. I've had more than one person not from America contact me wanting bear grease for for baldness. Really, no doubt, have you done muck tuck negative next time? I'm I'm well fat, I have I've eaten it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I've got a nice head of hair, Joe, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what that make you lose weight?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, fallow it whenever you had yesterday will come up with it. Is uh tough muck tuck. Where we go up in Alaska, the WIT's you'll see them on like an anchorage. You'll be on the side of the road with a butter knife, big chunk of weal fat and some ritz crackers.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, and they love it.
Speaker 3: So I've made friends with a couple of Inuits and as going home gift, they gave me a big old chunk of weal fat. I keep it in my freezer just to torture people when they come by the house. Now I'm gonna have some well fat and some grease.
Speaker 4: You take it that home with you you can have.
Speaker 2: When I So, I have had muktuk one time, and it was beautiful. It was it was this cream white with this black like a wet suit on the top of yep like and it was this the skin I assumed, am I right? And it was cut real thin, and it was like the coloration was beautiful and the consistency was like rubber.
Speaker 1: And I ate it.
Speaker 2: And I've never I've never had a food that like lit up my world with exactly what.
Speaker 1: I thought it would taste. Like it was going to be fishy.
Speaker 2: I mean it tasted like the ocean, like it wasn't fishy like a fish. It's like that tastes like a fish. Muck tuck tastes like the ocean. Like my world just lit up and I saw like it was almost like an out of body experience.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of.
Speaker 2: Exaggerating, but it tastes more like the like when you eat a deer, Like it doesn't taste like the wood like you don't. Yeah, anyway, that's purf. So, Hayden, you're a musician.
Speaker 4: I play music, Yes, play country music.
Speaker 1: How long you've been playing music?
Speaker 4: Uh? There's a picture of me with a guitar when I was like four.
Speaker 2: Did your parents were they musicians?
Speaker 4: My dad plays a guitar. Mom and dad both sing in church a lot.
Speaker 2: So, okay, did you you grew up on a cattle farm?
Speaker 1: That right? Hey?
Speaker 4: My dad looks practically identical to Randy Owens of Alabama. Oh he did when he had hair, he did.
Speaker 3: He suffers from So you came from a family of musicians?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, and you're you're twenty four years old?
Speaker 4: Yes, Sam, but my uncle's on my dad's side. It would be my granny's brothers. They played in Patsy Klein's band. Who again, though my it would be my great uncles. So it's on my dad's side. It's my dad's mom's brothers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's some family heritage inside of music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Granny like my family.
Speaker 1: Hayden.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, I'm glad you brought it up. But I come from a long line of talented musicians. I'm just one in the line. We'll talk about you though, go ahead, go ahead, no sou but you play like classic country music.
Speaker 1: You sound like George Strake country music. Is that George Straight?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Uh? Like if George Straight and Ronnie Dunn had a child, I feel like that would be me.
Speaker 1: Am I wrong in saying that?
Speaker 2: Did I? It's possible to have the wrong country music.
Speaker 5: I've heard.
Speaker 1: He's a little more twangy.
Speaker 4: I'm twiny. I'm pretty Twiny's who am I thinking of them? I feel like Ronnie Dunk Maybe Ronnie Dunt I've been told of I sound kind of like Ronnie Dunn, just not as good.
Speaker 2: Here we will, We're we're gonna get you to play something later. But okay, tell me about so you at one time when you were in Nashville for a while, like, what what's where are you at? And you with your music.
Speaker 4: I've been quit for the last year just because I was in Nashville. I didn't live in Nashville, but I went there a lot, and uh, I went to a lot of award shows and stuff, got nominated for a few things, and uh, just was in the life that I wanted, you know. I hear the big city and drugs and alcohol all around. I just didn't want that. So yeah, came back home, started writing a lot more and made a lot of good friends in music. Merle Haggard's lead guitar player, Joe Hampton, we're really good friends. Keith Whitley's son Jesse, we're pretty good buddies. And uh, I've met a lot of big times.
Speaker 1: So are you Are you still pursuing? Like I don't If you're not, I would love it if you just said yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually have a lot of respect for people that try to go down a road that's really hard and then just admit that. It's like, hey, this isn't the pathway for me.
Speaker 1: That's I mean.
Speaker 4: The thing is I was doing it and everybody was kind of on me, like you've got to do it, You've got to do it, You've got to do it. And one day I was like, I don't want to do it. I don't think I don't think I want this, and yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean we were playing every weekend and stuff, and it was just it was getting hard, it was becoming a job. It wasn't fun anymore, you know, So I pretty will quit. But then this is no kidd. Two weeks ago, I've been praying about the last two months. I'm a religious person. I've been praying about the last two months. I finally quit the way I pray and I say, Lord, let your will be done in my life instead of Lord, give me music. I want it so bad and I've I've changed it. And then all of a sudden, you know, Clay Nukeomb invites me to come play some music on the podcast. So, I mean, we might be getting fired back up. This might be the the top of it here, I hear it.
Speaker 1: But you're you're writing, you're writing some yeap.
Speaker 2: So you you uh so you still you still playing some?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I play. I enjoyed. I enjoyed writing more than I do. I'm a lyricist, like if a song don't make sense to me, I don't really like it. I like, I like wordy stuff. I like Willie and Nelson. He had a lot of word wordy stuff, but he can't hardly sing very good.
Speaker 1: So but.
Speaker 4: He had wordy stuff and I liked it. But Dean Dillon, one of the best writers ever, wrote for George st you bet, and uh he's a wordy and melody type person that, I mean, heck of a writer.
Speaker 2: So what does what does somebody do when they try to get into the music industry?
Speaker 1: Like what what was your what was your pathway?
Speaker 4: I fell into it. I want a State Beta Convention. I went up there and sang a George Strait song and I want I was right, yeah, And I went to Nationals and uh, we placed like tenth I think maybe in that. And then here it came. Everybody started calling, and we created a band and hammered down and I went to Nashville playing all those award shows and de outed. I didn't really like it. I liked riding my mule, being away from people.
Speaker 1: Do well.
Speaker 2: You know, today more than ever probably is a space for like, for people that don't have to me can produce music wherever you live. Yeah, you can distribute music wherever you live. You know, there's so many you know, channels these days to for distribution of music. It feels like with some of these guys, they haven't gone the traditional route, yeah through Nashville, or paid your dues.
Speaker 4: A lot of them, I mean don't even They haven't even played in the bar and got beer bottlestone at them.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it would surprise people how little money these musicians are chasing, you know, whenever it's costing them money.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, to play.
Speaker 3: And some good friends of mine, you know, they'll go all the way down from here to Florida to play for three hundred bucks and.
Speaker 4: They were getting paid.
Speaker 1: They got paid. Wow, they got paid.
Speaker 3: But you know, you do it because you're paying your dues, right, and you pay your dues till you get to the point where someone gives you a contract. You hope that that contract is legit. You're not gonna you're not gonna get rolled over on that deal.
Speaker 4: I had a contract offered to me, and I rolled it around and got to looking at the fine print on it, and uh, they want me to wear skinny jeans and stuff and loses the cowboy hat, and uh, ain't about that. I think you could get real pretty if you I think I could.
Speaker 1: I mean, you go that barber I went to the other day get my hair cut.
Speaker 5: Yeah, call her by a right name, and who knows what you might come out there.
Speaker 1: I just I just called her, mam, missy.
Speaker 3: I just cook on its mam.
Speaker 4: Saying hey, old Joe told me to see an old gallon here that we could have cut my hair.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this, y'all.
Speaker 3: I'm thirsty and I want to drink that water, but I'm afraid that coon grease is like rainex all through my mouth or something.
Speaker 1: She's gonna beat us. It's still, it's with me.
Speaker 6: Does he not leave it any times?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: It's here with me? Is good?
Speaker 2: Tell me about your mules, Hayden. How many mules you got does your family have?
Speaker 4: I own two, two meals, two horses. Dad has two mules. He had three. He had a team. One of them just died. She was thirty three, thirty four.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, a team. So they pulled a wagon.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was. He's all about the wagon stuff.
Speaker 2: Really yeah.
Speaker 4: He's been wanting me to break one of my mules to pull with his other mule.
Speaker 2: Does he ever go to the wagon races up here?
Speaker 4: No, he's pretty laid back. He don't like going fast.
Speaker 1: So imagine that somebody with a wagon. Yeah, not wanting to go fast.
Speaker 4: Weird.
Speaker 2: So uh so you did your family grow up with mules? Did you have mules when you grew up?
Speaker 1: Or horses?
Speaker 4: I listen to this, my dad just like any five year old, I want a horse, you know. So he yet he goes and gets me a horse. He paid one hundred dollars for this horse, and he got a sack of feed with it. So he comes back and it's this paint horse that is a bag of bones, and he's a stud and he's never been rode. So he said, here you go, here's your horse. So that's when I started riding. But he was so poor. You could get on him and he couldn't buck. That's how poor he was.
Speaker 1: He was. He you were five, inflexible.
Speaker 4: You bet I bounced, but he threw me up there, and I rode that horse. I gave him to a kid. That horse ended up being a heck of a horse because I rode it every day. And my dad ended up getting it cut because he was pretty steady. But I rode it every day, every religiously, every day. And I ended up getting mules and other horses and stuff. And he was getting up in his teens. And a boy was splitting wood for my dad. He is probably ten, and he was wanting a horse bad. And he was out there petting that horse one day and I went and talked to his dad. I said, you mind if I give him that horse, and h He's like, as.
Speaker 1: Long as it comes with a bag of field.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So ended up I went over that boy was petting on it. I walked up to him in the field and I said, if you want that horse and go ask your dad, y'all can have it. And he still got it now. And that was four or five years ago, probably. Okay, he's a he's a good one.
Speaker 1: His nails, doc, what kind of what kind of described to me?
Speaker 2: Your mules?
Speaker 4: Well, they got long ears and heads. I've got Kate. She is twenty three, wow, twenty two, she's twenty two. She's fourteen hands, pretty small and uh.
Speaker 2: Twenty two years old.
Speaker 4: She goes where you poled her. That's right, She'll she'll go anywhere you point her. And you can shoot off of her. You can shoot a gun off of her, you can shoot your bowl off of her, you can stand up on her and do whatever you want. I packed out two pigs on her.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: We were hog hunting down in Arkadelphia with my buddy Aaron, and Uh they had a boy was dragging one that was alive behind his horse and my mules. I guess she had never seen one. She went up there and sniffed of it, and then she went to pauling the heck out of that booger. Yeah, And everybody was making fun of me because I showed up with him loaded in the back of my truck and got out. And everybody's making fun of me, calling me dumb and stuff because I ride a mule.
Speaker 2: Oh man, where do these guys live?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: We're gonna go find them.
Speaker 2: They Let's pause your story just for a second. Remember where you're at where the hog story? And I remember robbing Kate. I was reading a book yesterday. I woke up real early yesterday for no good reason, before four am and just couldn't go to sleep, And so I woke up and I started reading this book I'm reading. I won't tell you what it is. But the guy in this this is a true story. This guy he was a drug dealer, okay, true story, and he was using an Apple Loosa horse ranch as the front as the front of his of his marijuana growing operation. And right there in the pages of that book he said that he was going to buy a horse. And he said it it said it was so ugly it looked like a mule.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I gasped in the like I was trying to be quiet close to the Oh my what just I.
Speaker 2: Literally gasped and underlined it a big question mark, and I said, what. But the book was written back in like the nineteen ninety Well is that it actually was written in the early two thousand. But he had only been a horse breeder from back in the eighties, so I think he hadn't been updated. That mules are now like really cool.
Speaker 4: Oh they're top of the line. The cowboy Cadillac, yeah, is what I call them.
Speaker 5: So when did mules jump to the top of the line.
Speaker 1: And Hayden start.
Speaker 6: I just want to make sure. I just want to make sure for all the listeners and everyone understands. When that is worth more than horses, you might very well be in the midst of a revolution.
Speaker 4: That's right, I'm saying it right now. It is. Everybody's going to be riding mules in the next It's cool to go backwards now, that's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 1: Is that all part of this green initiative?
Speaker 3: Like Echo, If we're not going to have that battery powered brig, we just got to go straight.
Speaker 1: You gotta have a mule. Okay, back to your story.
Speaker 2: So you're you're you're hauling these guys make fun of We're going to me and you're going to go.
Speaker 1: And I'm not a violent person. I've actually never been in a you'll.
Speaker 5: Use your words, You'll come with them with your words.
Speaker 1: Well, or we might just fistfight them.
Speaker 4: I mean the one he's uh, he's like six, so much to clear and he was he was he's been overseas. Okay, we'll try to steer clear of him. And uh, but he made fun of your mule, so okay, he's kind of odd to me and him he wasn't actually making fun of me. The other guys were.
Speaker 2: Okay, Nathan will give him a pass.
Speaker 4: No, No, Nathan's the bad one. Aaron was a good one.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, but got it, got it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they they made fun of me. And as soon as O Kate went to whacking on that hog, I think one of them asked how much would you take for her?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Really changed their mind right there, changed their being burrito. Yeah, so Kate is your twenty two year old mule?
Speaker 1: You got another one?
Speaker 4: She's a baby? Uh Crash?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's not a good name for a deal.
Speaker 4: Well he was named before me. So what do you do? Okay, you can't change him? Okay, you know that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I pretty much knew that.
Speaker 1: It's bad luck. It's like a boat, right, you can't rename a boat either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Hey, when you get done, I've got I've got a little update on my mule.
Speaker 1: But so you you name Crash.
Speaker 4: Yeah I do. He Uh he's like thirteen two hands, Okay, so that's small. He's getting pretty small.
Speaker 1: A hand a hand is four inches.
Speaker 4: A hand is a finger, A finger, a finger a hand. That's how I've always met because everybody always says he's he.
Speaker 2: Just started fingers like one, two, three.
Speaker 4: Four, four, says hand a hand.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: Everybody always says this horse is fourteen point five hands there's no such thing as a point five. Okay, there's only a one, two and a three and then it's a hand. So you got fourteen one one, fourteen two, fourteen three, fifteen.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah that drives me crazy, but it does so fourteen and Uh if somebody said fourteen and a half, they would be saying fourteen two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I guess yes, I've been guilty of that.
Speaker 2: I've been guilty that before.
Speaker 4: I was actually bringing up because of you.
Speaker 1: You wanted to contract. I get it, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 4: No crash, he's uh, he's thirteen, and he's a he's a pack meal. You a right, I mean you can. He's just plow rainer. Really he's not. He's kind of weird about people being behind him too. Your meals are a little odd, peculiar, but uh.
Speaker 2: The good ones, you got to break that peculiar out of them.
Speaker 4: See Grady Hawthorne told me, and he lives over by David Albright. Okay, they're next door neighbors. Oh yeah, yeah, Grady told me. There's good mules and there's bad mules. It's no in between. I mean that's he said, that's it, and he's broken he's eighty two, I think, and he's broken his whole life. And uh, he said there's nothing better than a good mule. And he said there's nothing worse than a bad mule. Yeah, and that's the truth. But Crash, he's Crash is he's in the middle. He's not bad or good.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't even exist.
Speaker 4: So I know that's what I'm I'm I'm I'm in a dilemma.
Speaker 5: Right, existential crisis.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it will probably is worth even more money's so rare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think I think the one in the middle is on its way down to a crash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's on its way down to a wreck.
Speaker 4: That's right. That's why. Maybe that's why his name is Crash.
Speaker 2: I don't know, so so I so here's my mule update is that I got a new mule.
Speaker 1: I'll show him to you, the little one out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one in the corral out there, eight months old, okay, and uh it's it's a pretty black mule with four white sox feet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were gonna we thought we had many names. I got the mule from and the guy didn't name it. He was just like the mules kind of had my name on it for a while, and so he the he weaned this mule and got it wins eight months old, and uh, I was good. I thought about naming it Jet. We thought about naming it another name that was of a family member that we can't uh. We we decided not to name it after the family member. But I was the mule's name is slow Trap?
Speaker 1: Smooth like you talking about a mule?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I know, I oh, the name doesn't like roll off the tongue, But I told it came to me again on the early morning reading session and I just woke up and I just like declared it and there was no question. There was no debate before the mule's name. I was asking the family, like, what do you think you think we should call it Jet? Should we call it this or that? And I just like woke up and I was like, the mule's name is slow.
Speaker 5: Trap, and where'd you get slow trapped?
Speaker 2: Slow Trap was a good friend of Frederick Gershtocker. I reread my Gershtocker book, this book Wild Sports, which is probably one of my favorite books in the world. That book, it's about Arkansas and or a lot of the adventures in this true story take place in Arkansas and one of Gershtalker's dear friends, and I had forgotten about him because he's not a central character. But his name was Slow Trap and he was from the Fouche La Fay area.
Speaker 1: The La Fay River is south.
Speaker 2: Of the arc Saw River runs into the Arkansas in the Washtalls and Slow Trap was like an eccentric but very skilled woodsman. And uh, anyway, there's some Gershtalker talks about a lot of really unique stuff about Slow Trap, which we won't get into. But when I read it, I was like, that mule's name is slow Trap.
Speaker 4: I mean, but for sure, you just call him slower Trap. You don't have to say slow Trap.
Speaker 1: That's a good thing. I hadn't even thought about it. We called him the Trap.
Speaker 4: That's like my dad's mule. She's about she's a black meal that's got white stockings, and her name is fancy and he was trying to change it to something else. I was like, you can't do that. Her name's already fancy. You can't do She's thirteen years old. What if you what would you do if your name has changed?
Speaker 1: Whenever the fancy old gal, Well.
Speaker 4: He started calling her.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 4: He started calling her fan fan or Fanny.
Speaker 2: So okay, I mean that's that's fair game.
Speaker 4: I call her fancy.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Uh, do you do you ever show your do your do you shoe your mules? Not personally, but do your are your mules?
Speaker 1: Shot? Yeah?
Speaker 4: One of them is?
Speaker 1: Yes, one of them, Kate, just one.
Speaker 2: You're using a lot.
Speaker 4: She's got bad feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh really some of the guy that had her before me. Uh, kind of let her feet go and we're working on getting her built back up.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, do you ever shoe your mules?
Speaker 1: Me? Personally?
Speaker 2: No, I don't do any fair work.
Speaker 4: I would say the name of the guy who does it, but he said he doesn't want any more work. So, but he's an exceptional he does a great job on him.
Speaker 2: Well, let him know if he needs any tips for me. You can give him my phone number.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Hey, they make those velcrow boots slip over him. Now, I've heard those are pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Now, Joe, there's there's many things in this world that a man shouldn't bring up publicly or post pictures of what he does.
Speaker 1: I've probably done them all. Well. The list is long.
Speaker 2: Different on the short list on the short list is doing anything with the foot of an equine, like putting shoes on it. People, they come out of the woodwork. The second one is anything that has to do with bees.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the b people come apery, apery people.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, beekeepers. Beekeepers very passionate and dogmatic, I.
Speaker 2: Think, and unable, like incapable of just seeing somebody do something a certain way and not telling you or whoever else how it absolutely should be done.
Speaker 6: The one capable of every bee keeper, whether it's the same as the bee keeper to the next of them, is absolutely rigid and absolute.
Speaker 1: It's like cooking brisket.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, so we didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Oh, well do you post?
Speaker 2: I mean, but when you post a brisket, like a picture of a brisket, and people don't criticize you, do they my briskets?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of a master of the filters on that iPhone. Oh I could do some shading, okay, kind of crop a little bit, do some work. I mean, I can make a four pound bass look like it's as big as a tree. I've got some skills in it. But brisket cooking is the same deal, because you gotta have that color of the bark right then it goes all the way back to the trim.
Speaker 1: Oh, you should have trimmed it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, barbecue guys are the same deal. They're a lot like a beekeeper. And they never even knew it. They didn't know, they didn't know.
Speaker 6: I had no idea. It was the most overwhelming thing in the world to me. I was so excited that, you know, keep my first beast, and we Clay. I didn't put a picture, Clay put a picture up. And I mean people came out of the woodwork otherwise kind people came out of the woodwork to offer all sorts of advice. And every time someone heard I was keeping bees, they said, well, you know this, you know that, you know you're supposed to do this rules.
Speaker 5: It was overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Are you better at it now or you.
Speaker 5: Well, no one's rules are the same.
Speaker 1: That's right, And we still got bees and we got honey set way to do something.
Speaker 6: I'm a minimalist and everything it turns out like that's important and and it I think I am. Actually I don't think I could market myself as a minimalist in the way that people do, but at my very core I think I'm more minimalistic than anyone I know.
Speaker 5: I don't. I genuinely don't like that.
Speaker 3: I'll give you this, missy, when you cook that brisket, send the picture to me first.
Speaker 1: I'll filter and crop it.
Speaker 5: We'll put it out there and see what happens.
Speaker 3: We'll make it okay, all right, the critiques will be way down lowed.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: I got a question for the singer over here. Yep, he's he's looking over his shoulder. You wake up to a song, like do you do you dream about a song? Have you ever woke up and written down?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely what you were dreaming about? There was music, and.
Speaker 4: There's a I recorded a song that I that I had a dream about and woke up in the middle of night ten minutes wrote it. There it is. It's called Real Grand. Really, it's on all the stuff.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people who will sit.
Speaker 3: For hours and hours and try to do that drive in a song, you know, try to build a song. And then there's guys that just there's songs.
Speaker 4: I think God gives you, gives you your songs, the good heartfelt songs minus Real Grand because Real Grand's about killing people. Because it was a Western it's a Western themed and ends up this guy's wife who the man and got shot. She ends up killing the guy who shot her husband started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, BG appropriate, But.
Speaker 4: I mean we're talking about cong grease, so everything's appropriate.
Speaker 2: Now it's a fair game.
Speaker 4: After that, Yeah, I have a lot. Yeah. I wrote one the day after Christmas, coming from an old cabin. I seen you a picture of it coming from an old cabin. The story to that? Can I tell that right now?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: The story to this cabin. It's on National Forest.
Speaker 2: So he sent me a picture of an old log cabin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it was built in like nineteen eighteen, all right, so that's over one hundred years ago. I was riding mules and I found it. I was like, what the heck is that? I've just seen the roof of it? Found it, walked up there and I was like, I don't know what this is. But automatically I start thinking moonshine. You know, it's on for service right Arkansas Mountains. It's moonshine. Gotta be, can't not be. So I go to thinking about moonshine. And this was a long This was last winter that I found it, and I've been thinking about it. Ever since. And Dalton Hill, a buddy of mine in Glenwood, he told me because I told him about it. I was like, have you ever seen that? Because he lives over there pretty close. I was like, if you've seen this cabin? He said, uh, yeah, it's got a crazy story behind it. I was like, what is it?
Speaker 1: He said it with someone there named Rio Grant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and his wife.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 4: He said that a man come out there with his daughter and was building that cabin. And this ain't no light. It's bigger than this place we're sitting in right now. And you know, ten by ten, it's like a twenty five by twenty. It's a big cabin and a man and his daughter out there and he was building that cabin for them to live. And this is from Glenwood. Being nineteen eighteen, it would take an hour and a half to get to Glenwood by wagon or mule or whatever. So Penn Zeus was driving the Yeah, if it was my dad, it would take like three hours. If as a chuck wagon guy, it'd be like fifteen minutes. But there go, his daughter was playing around and she ended up getting rattlesnake bit, so he picks her up and takes her to the nearest doctor wherever that may be in nineteen eighteen and never show back up. So the government, I guess, took the land and they haven't done anything with the cabin. It's just but if you get on on X you can see like an eighty that is thinner than the rest of the forest. It's pretty sweet.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: But I got to think about moonshine and I have been thinking about rattles. Yeah, And I was over there this last the day after Christmas, and I was like, man, and I started writing a song and by the time I was home, which took fifteen minutes, the song was written.
Speaker 3: Oh really, Yeah, I think like you know they got you got that audio book coming out yes this week?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard about that, and uh.
Speaker 1: And so but for a guy to write, for a guy to write.
Speaker 3: A story like they've written, yeah, it's it's the same thing. I'm sure you probably woke up to paragraphs that you needed to add, right.
Speaker 2: It's I not on that deal particularly, but yes, one hundred percent. Just when you're writing in general, yeah, you kind of have moments of clarity that you try to capture because they escape quickly.
Speaker 1: They can.
Speaker 3: So when you guys, both of you, when you thoroughly wake up, like you woke up at one o'clock in the morning and wrote this song down and then you wake up at six, Yeah, is it just a mess or is it really really there?
Speaker 4: I've thrown a lot of stuff over my shoulder, really yeah.
Speaker 3: Just I think storytelling and songwriting kind of yeah, parallel each other in a lot of ways, because a good song is a story.
Speaker 4: It's just a story.
Speaker 2: I've learned that you have to capture stuff quickly. Sometimes I write notes on my phone, like when I'm talking to Misty about stuff and I have to tell her, hey, I'm not texting, I'm writing stuff because to me, it's the junctures of connection between two things. Because inside the kind of writing that I'm doing for different things, you have actual data that you're not creating. Like if you're talking about history, you've got some data, yeah, but then you have this other piece of data that might be And sometimes the uniqueness comes in how two things are connected, or how you would bridge from this thing to this thing, or it might be the events in someone's life. You tell a story and get from here to hear my most of my creative moments that I have to capture come in.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's the connection.
Speaker 2: And then but but and you kind of think that you're gonna be able to remember it and you're not. And so maybe it's maybe it's my age, but.
Speaker 5: No, I think I think what you're.
Speaker 4: I have to do the same thing. And I'm how many years young?
Speaker 3: I would think that the listeners of bear grease because they're all fans of how you're telling the story. Yeah, I think that the listeners because the way that you put words together are different than anybody else in podcasting as far as I know.
Speaker 4: That's the difference between me and him, is like he's good at telling stories and sounding good and using big words. I'm pretty good at putting it in a song because I can't talk very good. So it's like he's good at storytelling. I'm good songwriting, which is a story.
Speaker 2: But it's hey, I've bought what you're tracking on there about songwriting and writing and be the same. I told I've said this to Missy before. If I could sing probably probably as good as Hayden. If I could sing as good as good as Hayden, there wouldn't be a Bargerags podcast. I would be a musician, can see no because because the desire to storytell in music is kind of the it's kind of there's a link there.
Speaker 4: I might play the moonshine and song. It's called Montgomery, It's called Montgomery County Shine No way, you bet I live in Montgomery County. By the way, I want to hear.
Speaker 1: I think I'm in on listening to it. Well, it's let's hear it. Now's the time, now's the time. Yeah, yeah, I'll brag on clay while you're getting that get fiddle out.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll tell you what we we we're gonna have.
Speaker 5: To second, we're gonna have to take.
Speaker 2: A full, full time out though. So this you just wrote this, This the first time you've sang it.
Speaker 4: I've sung it just to myself, to your and my wife in your head. Well, I had to come kid with in my head. Yes.
Speaker 1: Also, I can't wait on the home authentic.
Speaker 4: On the way home, it was nothing but in my head. Yeah, I didn't have a guitar. I was driving that old Dodge pickup.
Speaker 2: Coming home from this this old cabin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you ready for it?
Speaker 2: All right, let's hear it first time ever been ever been played publicly.
Speaker 10: There's an old band in cabin on the section line. They used to run it out New Moonshine until he shot him down, shot him from behind, old fool, that Montgomery County shine like it. We can't grow crops on the ridge lines, hendryin over, you can't make it.
Speaker 4: Don it's alllady knew Pappy.
Speaker 10: Passed it down the line, all fool, that Montgomery County shine. He they're gonna find you good, not today, by my all fool, that Montgomery County Shine.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 10: Willer of a little man went searching high, but Grandpappy left like a fox's sly hand. Ten year old me, I wouldn't catch a NiFe running that Montgomery County shine. Found us one d I held my hands up high. I washed it all go down. I watched my pappy die, And twenty years later, I'm on the outside, I'm still running that old Montgomery County shine.
Speaker 9: Oo Hey, hey, they're gonna catch you, but not d o.
Speaker 10: My all fool that but Montgomery County Shine. I was running that Montgomery County Shine. I'm running that Montgomery County Shine.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go ahead. Ride.
Speaker 3: That's probably the best uh real close, but probably the best song ever sang on The Render.
Speaker 1: Yes, no doubt, I love it, man.
Speaker 3: I can guarantee it's the best song on the twenty twenty four models so far.
Speaker 1: That's great, Many, it really was.
Speaker 4: See my voice has changed quite a lot that my style in the last two years.
Speaker 1: Really riding mules will do that to him?
Speaker 4: Man, it does, Yeah, but it does.
Speaker 1: Here stud man, that's great. That was great. That was great.
Speaker 2: Don't you think Bears should pick up a guitar and learn to play like you should?
Speaker 1: This one?
Speaker 5: I think he looks like a real natural with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I caught him the other day strumming on a guitar.
Speaker 4: Hey, Timm, girl's played that one?
Speaker 2: Oh nice?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, that okay.
Speaker 2: Now I gotta bring this up because this so we're typically on the Render, we're talking about the episode that just came out, and here we are an hour in end. We haven't even talked about it. Montgomery kind of shine though. Lou Dell and Charlie Edwards one of our one of our most listened to series, Genuine Outlaws series Louisdale in the nineteen nineties, I think ninety two or ninety one got arrested for making moonshine.
Speaker 4: It happens in the.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah you have that on the Big Jobs. He got arrested for making moonshine right on the border of Montgomery.
Speaker 4: County, like the polk side of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like for real, like those watch yeah anyway, Montgomery County Shine and then think about Loudlle and Charlie EVAs. But like my okay, I gotta say it though, because we've been talking about moonshine.
Speaker 1: My buddy T. L.
Speaker 2: Jones, East Tennessee, who was Barry Tarlton's grandson. If you remember we did the thing about the plot hunt, the plot Hound sheriff in East Tennessee.
Speaker 1: T L. Jones, he kind of frowns on me against it.
Speaker 2: Well, he just says, we treat moonshine way too lax, you know, like back in back in the days, like these were things that wrecked communities, just.
Speaker 1: Like the song County Shine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got killed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so TL, you were right, he got shut in the back. Oh wow. Yeah the first line right there. You know, that was a good it's a good story.
Speaker 4: I like it, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Cool man.
Speaker 2: So the last Bear Grease will be the last time in the foreseeable future that we do a classic. Okay, yeah, man, I'm very excited. Well, we could have spent this whole time talking about the Daniel Boone series. That I said it in the intro to the rerun of this classic that when I made that first Daniel Boone episode, I did not think people would like it, Joe. It was too it was too compared to what I had done, and it was early. It was like episode maybe it was episode fourteen or something.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of history, yeah, but told in a way that common folks like myself could sit there and and man, you're doing play by play on these things like you're having Since it's just your voice, you're having to build the picture of what I'm listening to, and and you sell it well in that.
Speaker 4: It takes a lot of talent to build up a story like that, I mean, because it's hard to do tell a story to where you're like, what's what's going on?
Speaker 2: When I kind of just giving a little peek behind the curtain, made the decision I was going to do a podcast on Daniel Boone, and so I start, you know, reading everything about Boone, I go. I didn't even know Robert Morgan was alive, to be honest to it did Robert Morgan wrote me and Steve Vanella's favorite rendition of a Boone biography called Boone by Robert Morgan. I didn't even know if Robert Morgan was alive. And I get on get on the website or get on the internet, and I find him and he lives in New York and he's a he's a former corn nail professor. And I contact him via email and he's just like come to my house. And and at that time too, in the bear Grease world, I had never really traveled a whole lot and for just a one shot deal. And I remember calling my overseer at Meat Eater at that time and was like, Hey, dude, is it okay if I go to New York for like a two hour interview and then just like come home.
Speaker 1: It's cheaper than a moose tag?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh and and and my overseer wasn't Steve Vanella, it was it was somebody else, good, great person, and they were like, go for it, man, heck yeah. And so I just think it like now I do that all the time. I've done that now for three years, Like we worked pretty hard to get interviews with people, but at that time it was like we were all like testing the boundaries, because always inside of anything, it's like how much energy and effort do you have to put towards something and is it going to be well received? And so I interviewed Boone and then I interviewed Steve Ranella, and I put these two guys together, and it was so much detail, and I got done with an hour long podcast and I'd done like hardly any of Boone's life, right, And I was like, shoot, I'm gon have to make this two episodes? Yeah, And then I do two and it's like, heck, can I have to make it three? And I remember thinking are people going to be bored with this?
Speaker 1: Are people gonna.
Speaker 2: And and it ends up. I mean the short version is is that ended up being best well and a template for the future of what Bear Grease would would would be would be kind of a history podcast in some ways, not always, but.
Speaker 3: I recall the anxiety of just waiting, like for part two, right, I mean, really, I think most of the listeners and I speak to everybody as a listener of the show, I think we just looked forward to to build up. There's not like a real big teaser at the end, like in a corny movie or something, but there's enough of a teaser to say and on next week's show, we're gonna go through this, and so it keeps it keeps the listeners going.
Speaker 1: You've had a lot of series like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I we learned that we can do series and you have to. I mean, you just can't accomplish a big section of history in a fifty minute podcast or an hour long podcast. But boone was it.
Speaker 1: That was neat. It was good.
Speaker 2: But to give a teaser, what's coming Poachers? I like the Poacher stories.
Speaker 5: It is it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I like the Poacher stories, every one of them, from the game ording side to the outlaw side.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna give it away, but we have yet to hear this story from this angle before untold story.
Speaker 1: I'm told.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's really unique.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you better, you better not talk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Clay is the worst about giving away you think so, uh Like, I don't think he can surprise me.
Speaker 5: I don't know that he actually just wait, miss one time he has one time he has.
Speaker 3: He's gonna surprise you when he puts a big old kiss on you with some.
Speaker 5: Congres dB it's not interested.
Speaker 1: Huh. And the book the audiobook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, So if you're listening to this podcast that that comes out, I believe the date is January the fourth, Happy twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Yep, and uh.
Speaker 2: The audiobook will be released on January the ninth. And uh, The Long Hunters media to American history, The Long Hunters, and it's uh. I think it's about six hours long, and it'll be it's it's uh. I'm really excited about it. You'll know more about the Long Hunters than anybody on planet Earth other than the people that listened to it before you.
Speaker 1: So, and Long Hunters was just the distance and the time.
Speaker 2: Well, it was it was a It was a name that was given to a style of market hunting. And and the reason the only rea we don't even really know where it came from. We just know when it showed up in the literature.
Speaker 3: Some guy probably woke up in the middle of the night like he was going to name a mule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it said Long No, it's it's assumed from the context of where it was written.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't like a poet that wrote it.
Speaker 2: It was it was somebody say it was a It was a historical person during that time that referred to the long hunters.
Speaker 1: And the long hunters were packs. It wasn't like an individual.
Speaker 2: Right, or a long hunter could be an individual. But it had to do with they went on big extent, did market hunting trips the campaign, Yeah, they would like in Boone's historic two year trip into Kentucky was kind of the iconic definer of the of the long hunters because it was a long hunt, right, But it's all about the deer skin trade. So the market hunters were heavily involved in the deer skin trade. They weren't trophy hunters. They weren't hunting because they thought it was fun. These guys were destitute and we're trying to find a way to make a living. And you could go into the you could go you could trespass into areas you shouldn't have supposed to have been legally, like people in the colonies were not allowed to go beyond the Appalachian Mountains. And I mean Boone and those guys, they trespassed into Kentucky and could basically make a solid year's income in three to four months of trapping or deer hunting and then bring those hides back into the colonies and sell them. And so I mean, just like today, if you could go Hayden make eighty grand in three months, I mean you'd probably there's probably especially if the option, your prior option was to make twenty grand. Yeah, working ten hours a day, Yeah, you'd probably do.
Speaker 1: You'd be surprised at what you might do. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 2: We go into we go into the deer skin, like who was buying deer skins? And they were all going to Europe and there was a there was a it was a fashion trend, it was a functional trend. Deer skin at that time was basically the denim of today.
Speaker 1: So is it like rough out leather? Is that what they were?
Speaker 2: It would have been smooth buckskin leather like the tan deer skin leather gloves, which would have a rough outside, just like a leather. Today it's got a smooth side and it's got a rough.
Speaker 4: You think you'd want the rough out out? Yeah, on pants unless you're wearing buffalo brief. I may.
Speaker 5: And if you can, I say something about how the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how do you get how do you get on Audible?
Speaker 5: So it's an app.
Speaker 6: The first thing you want to do is it's an app that you download, so you you you go to your app store on whatever phone you have and you download it. You can create an Audible account with your Amazon account. So if you have an Amazon account, use that to create your profile, because that's the second thing you're going to have to do. And and then you have to pick your Amazon plan.
Speaker 2: And oh wow, that's as complicated it is.
Speaker 5: It's a little bit complicated for people.
Speaker 2: It is more complicated. Listen to a podcast.
Speaker 6: It is more complicated, but it's let me just say, it's not as hard as you might think. So I've seen a couple of comments, I'm a dinosaur. I don't know how to do this.
Speaker 5: That's right, doctor, it's it's it's you got this. You got this.
Speaker 6: Download the Audible app. Creat an account. If you have an Amazon account, you can already you can just use that account. And number three, number three, you pick a plan or and and you've got several options and you'll get The way it works on my account is I get credits and I can use those credits.
Speaker 1: You have a plan, you can get so many books on tape.
Speaker 5: And let me tell you some unlimited.
Speaker 2: I enjoy listening to audiobooks when I'm on long trips because a podcast on an eight or nine hour trip or whatever, you know, just goes by pretty quick. But you put on a book and you can listen to it, and you can listen to it however you want. But some people have been like, when do you have time to listen to an eight hour audio book? And it's like, well, I don't just like sit in my office and like listen to an audio book. You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: You can do it when you work in the garden. You can do it, when you write a mule. You can do it on a road trip.
Speaker 2: I'm literally of having ear pods in when I'm writing a mual.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you bet you canting mule.
Speaker 6: But you can do it when you're You can it as you're dry. I'm just trying to help you out here.
Speaker 5: You can. You can do it on your commute tone from work.
Speaker 1: I do it in my in laws. You do Joe Joe, and you're just setting over.
Speaker 2: You call your mother in law gal.
Speaker 3: There's a there's old gals in the family. There are, and it's in in in my line of work. That's a that's a sign of love, endearment, that is Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's called my mom woman for thirty six years now woman, my woman, that's what he calls my woman. That's just what it is.
Speaker 1: It's another song.
Speaker 4: That's it's a love, it's a it's ago. It's not disrespectful. It's just a no, no, not.
Speaker 2: Joe's sir, what do you want to tell us? Like, we're closing down here, closing, closing thoughts, tell us, tell us what you want to tell us. I usually start the podcast when Joe's on and just go, Welcome to the Burger's Podcast.
Speaker 1: Joe take it away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of what we were playing what I'm doing now.
Speaker 3: But this week we are closing down so I can talk a bit.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: September seventh, twenty twenty four, we're bringing back the Squirrel Cookoff.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be at the same September seventh. That's a good day, September seventh.
Speaker 3: I arranged it, tried to get it in there amongst all the hunting seasons and everything so no one would complain. Hunters are a lot like beef papers, you know, they'll complain a bunch by stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like.
Speaker 3: Two people go till Hunting and you're a fool for having Squirrel Cookoff on the same day as Till Season.
Speaker 1: So we've got that. Good job, Joe Man.
Speaker 3: I would tell people that, you know, listening to your show is an educational deal. It doesn't have any boundaries of age or anything like that. I meet more people who have young kids eight nine years old who enjoy listening to the Bear Grease both shows for.
Speaker 1: All three shows. This Country Life, Yeah.
Speaker 3: This Country Life solid right. If you want something that's completely different, I've got a podcast I wonder It's called Cooking Up a Story with Aaron and Joe's and uh, we we have a new show come out every week.
Speaker 1: We don't typically do parts. We'll go three hours if we got to. Yeah, and uh we.
Speaker 3: Talk to common people and hear stories from struggle to success.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And in my free time, I'm going to start listening to Hayden's music. You then, yeah, heck yeah what it sings like a bird?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 4: Got awesor being choked by a bobcat.
Speaker 5: He's saying like a bird, Joe this.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: We've had a pretty active holiday season as a family, and we've got some squirrels in the fridge. And Clay's mom, Judy, had a little tradition of making egg rolls around New Year's Day every year on their on their break, and we kind of adopted that.
Speaker 1: Because her egg rolls are rolls are good.
Speaker 6: That's well, we're gonna try We're gonna we're getting ready to try it.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 6: Something something that I think everyone should know is that Bear bought himself a pan this week that I am not allowed to use.
Speaker 2: Oh really, did you really?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 8: You've been kind of quiet over there, but she always gets mad at me for boiling deer skulls and stuff in your pants in my house. I feel like that's a completely reasonable thing to do. So you about your own pants, So I about my own pan. I haven't heard about this cook over like a fire out of the sun.
Speaker 6: The first thing you did when you walked in, I said, how is your trip? He said, good, I bought a pan and you can't use it.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Did you get you skillet?
Speaker 2: Or it's just like a skillet pretty much, just like a cheap skillet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like ten dollars.
Speaker 5: I think it's a.
Speaker 6: Big move though it's his first pan, it's his first personal bear.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make you promise next time I come up here, I won't bring you I won't bring you a couple good ones.
Speaker 2: He'll do it too, he will.
Speaker 1: I'll bring you a couple of good ones.
Speaker 2: I think, Hey, you know what we ought to do on a podcast, some stuff, live, cook something.
Speaker 5: Joe's got to be there for that.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean he would do it. He's a man. Yeah, no, I you could.
Speaker 2: Just be talking to us Joe. So what Joe. What we didn't say about Joe, which people would know, is that he's a well he's he did say it. He's a barbecue expert, cooks cooked for thousands and thousands.
Speaker 5: Or at least he's a cel pham filter expert.
Speaker 3: Yeah I could, I could photo shop. But yeah know we fed, uh we fed over forty five thousand people real by a steak across the country, you know, and and so we do.
Speaker 1: We do a lot of cooking.
Speaker 3: And uh, I just think that if you're out hunting fishing, learning how to cook it cook because one of the flaws and being a hunter and a fisherman is people will tell you there's trash fish or there's trash ducks. I'm a firm believer we can make anything taste right and people can.
Speaker 1: Eat it, and you cook it right.
Speaker 3: It just takes a little bit of time and uh, a little bit of effort, maybe some decent seasoning, and you can turn Man. I've cooked porcupines, I've cooked moose heads. I've cooked everything that you can cook. If it's in the state of Arkansas, I've probably cooked it. And as a young guy listening to Bears stories, hanging out on the creek and doing weird stuff with his clothes and all of that, the next the next trip, the next step is making it taste good.
Speaker 1: And hey, we.
Speaker 2: Need we're gonna do it. I think we need to figure out how the logistics of it. But so thanks for coming Joe, appreciate it, Doctor nukemb thank you for being here. Bear, thank you for being here. Hayden, thanks for coming up.
Speaker 4: Man, glad to be it.
Speaker 2: It was really great, really loved the song. Where can people find all your stuff?
Speaker 4: Anywhere? You can find anything? Yeaple, Spotify, Pandora. It's okay there, Okay, now, I mean Montgomery County Shine isn't out there yet. Yeah, it might, it might be.
Speaker 2: It might be.
Speaker 3: It's out now, it's actually on the Cooking Up the Story Facebook page.
Speaker 5: Well it probably is.
Speaker 1: Now, come on, and I'll be selling the rights to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll sign the copies.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, Happy New Year to everybody. I can't wait for you to hear the next.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be good. It's gonna be a good year
Speaker 1: All right, guys,