Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The New Orleans Saints are the last team looking for a head coach, and maybe their coach is coaching in the Super Bowl, Kellen Moore. Usually when you have candidates who take their name out of the running, that usually means they're taking their name out because their name is already out. Mike McCarthy says he will focus on twenty twenty six, maybe getting a job, But Cliff Kingsbury, the offensive coordinator for the Commanders, said that he's going to stay with the Commanders. It feels like it's Kellen Moore's job. I don't know if there's any other candidates. Kellen Moore can go to New Orleans and stay in New Orleans after the Super Bowl day after the Super Bowl win or lose, hold a press conference and you got all the members of the media there, get a lot of publicity for the Saints there. But Kellen Moore, the offensive coordinator formerly with the Cowboys, spend some time with the Chargers and now maybe to the New Orleans Saints. And we focused a lot yesterday on press conferences and that initial reaction when you see your team just hired somebody and you go, I love seeing Pete Carroll up there. From a Raiders fan, Liam Cohen, I don't know anything about him. Seems a little quirky, but maybe he's a mad scientist. Maybe he can help our quarterback Trevor Lawrence the way he did Baker Mayfield. And then you had the Cowboys situation. Aaron Glenn was fiery with the Jets, and you're like, yeah, he's one of us, he understands us, this is great. And then the Cowboys situation. So out of all of those, I don't look at this as an indictment on Liam Cohen because he was a little goofy. Aaron Glenn fiery. We've seen Dan Campbell when he was fiery. Remember Nick Siriani, he stumbled all through his press conference. We've had these moments like you want to win the press conference, and Pete Carroll's gonna win a press conference. He's gonna have energy chomping on the gum there. And I think there's a sense of stability there that he provides the Cowboys. That to me is more troubling because that's really a snapshot of what I think is going to happen as long as Brian Schottenheimer is going to be the head coach of the Cowboys. Jerry Jones, he dominated the press conference and I said this yesterday. I mean, I've been around this forty years. I've been to press conferences with some of the biggest names in all the sports, and that one was one where I was troubled by it because I don't Jerry obviously doesn't read the room, and he probably feels like he doesn't have to. Here's Brian Schottenheimer, it's his moment. He got to be a head coach in the NFL. You're coaching the Cowboys. Your dad would have been so proud. He gets emotional, and then Jerry comes in and has to talk about his dad, and then he gets emotional, and I just felt bad for Brian shot because I think we're gonna look at him through that lens that is yeah, but Jerry's still the GM and the head coach there. He just is, and that to me felt like, get used to this. Aaron Glenn, I liked it. I mean, come on in, let's go. I mean, you're gonna be aggressive, You're gonna be taking names, holding, you know, getting receipts. Great. I love it. Liam Cohne. Still it was awkward, but it was it was entertaining. I don't know if he's likable because there's still the wait a minute, were you supposed to be going back to Tampa and then you got on a plane and you know, hopefully your son's healthy like that to me was just a little bit of a mess there. But you know, you move past if you win, you move past all these things. And certainly that opening press conference where we tend to put a little too much credibility on that or oh my god, did you see our coach? Each one? Can you coach? Maybe you can't deal with the media. Can you coach? That's really the most important. You can be charismatic as hell going to those press conferences. If your team's not any good, you won't be charismatic too long in front of the media. Yes, Paul, I went.
Speaker 3: Back and looked, and you're right. The Sirianni reviews after his press conferences were not good, and a lot of it they said, we don't know a lot about these assistant coaches. They don't do interviews, so sometimes at least America, it's the first time you see in them, and Sirianni got roughed up. Dan Campbell was mixed reviews. Some people liked his ser and some people said, well, is this guy a coach or just a motivator.
Speaker 2: I think we were laughing at and with maybe it was oh gosh, did you see that? And we're thinking away on the Lions. It's the Lions, you know, biting knee camps. But hey, they made him Super Bowl contenders, so nobody's laughing at him now. Aaron Glenn came in there. He was on the staff with Dan Campbell and probably thought, Hey, that's how he coaches, and I can coach the same way and I can have success with the Jets. Woody Johnson is the owner of the Jets, and he spoke to the media and he talked about what he needs to do next season.
Speaker 3: I have to look in the mirror and write, and I have to be a better honor.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to be better.
Speaker 3: And I do self scout and a lot of people scout for me. You know, I've got to have patience or whatever. I've got to let them, let them evolve as in these positions, which I think they will.
Speaker 4: I think will be quick, but I think they'll evolve.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Whatody Johnson needs to be a better owner. Five weeks ago today, there was an article that came out on The Athletic from Diana Russini. This is a deep dive on the Jets and just how messed up they are. And I don't know if Woody Johnson, owner billionaire, don't tell me what to do, looked at that and actually looked in the mirror, because I would have said to him if he said, hey, I got to look in the mirror and be a better owner, what is it that you did before that you need to improve upon? Would he? Because he really needs to let people do their jobs. I find that that the more an owner is involved, the less successful you are, because it's hard to work that way if somebody's always there over your shoulder. I mean, even with the dan Ens, the guys that I have in the back room, you got to let him do their job and if they make a mistake, then you know, you correct them and then you hope that it doesn't happen again. But if you're always there, if you're omnipresent, you just can't let somebody be themselves. And I think that is the problem sometimes, certainly with the Cowboys with the Jets, I mean Woody Johnson, his sons are involved in decisions. You know. Did they go into the locker room and they're talking crash to the players. But five weeks ago today that article came out and maybe Woody Johnson says, let me take a step back, I think that would be beneficial for the Jets. Mark Davis is the owner of the Raiders, and he talked about the impact of Tom Brady bringing in.
Speaker 5: Tom Brady was bringing in somebody that was on the football side that I had been lacking having here at the organization back in I guess it was eighteen with John Bruden. He was somebody that I brought in and really expected to be that person on the football side that would breaks the ability of the organization. He had a ten year contract and all that, and his head was chopped off and we were put in a really bad.
Speaker 6: Position as an organization.
Speaker 2: Head was chopped off. Yeah. I was told a while ago, in fact said it here that Brady was running the team. This is his man. That's not a question. Now everybody knows that that's the case. Was going to be involved in who the coach was going to be and certainly, what are they going to do at the quarterbacking position? But Mark Davis is smart to let Tom Brady do this. These guys are smart to get where they are, to have that money to buy a team. I don't know why they just get dumb, and I think it's because it's sports and they're like, wellhy do sport? Like Jerry Jones played at Arkansas back in the sixties. He was a ligneman. That doesn't mean that he knows what he's doing with football just because he played. I played basketball. That doesn't mean I could be a GM or a coach. But I understand the game. But Jerry, hey I played, you didn't, Okay, But that doesn't mean he should be involved in the day to day And that's part of the problem here. Hey, I'm smart. I got a billion dollars or two or three or four. Therefore, I guess I can be smart in football as well. It's different. It's so different than I'm running a business. This is a different monster that you're trying to run. Yeah, Paul, I've always had a theory. I mentioned to you before.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of billionaires in our country, but I think a lot of billionaires still would love to be famous and known for what they do, and I think a lot of them that's why they buy teams. Of course, it's a great investment, it's the best investment. But there's some I don't know if Mark Cuban that was part of his plan but it worked or just by default. But guys like Jerry Jones and Arthur Blank and someone they want to be seen. They want to do press conferences, they want to talk, they want to be heard and known because you can't necessarily buy fame in our country.
Speaker 2: Well, just as Dan Snyder, he got six billion for his team, and he's probably miserable because he's not Dan Snyder, and nobody cares. Donald Sterling, no one cares. But they did care because you were the owner of my team. But being a billionaire great. Being a billionaire who owns a team now all of a sudden, people people look at you differently that way. Seating back on the road with Maco. Go to Danpatrick dot com. You can follow the road trip to New Orleans. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, we bring your car back to life with affordable paint choms like collision repairs get a free estimate today. Oh, better get maco. All right, Dylan, you're up. What's our poll question today?
Speaker 4: All right? Dan?
Speaker 7: Our one pole question? Which coaching hire? Whill we look at the most favorably in three years time? Pete Carroll the Raiders, Aaron Glenn with the Jets, Shoddy with the Cowboys, or Liam Cohen with the Jags.
Speaker 2: Now you're not putting in Mike Brabel in this, No, these are just the latest batch. Okay, okay, all right? What other pole question do you have? Didn't we answer best hire, worst hiring yesterday? I think we did that in the final Oh, Dylan, well.
Speaker 7: I thought we were gonna continue the conversation. No best hire right now? But three years time, which will we look at the best?
Speaker 2: Is this working? I don't know. Are you doubling down? I'm gonna double down? Okay, I don't hedge my bet. Okay, how about yeah you should I've seen your bets. Okay, give me another possibility here, all right?
Speaker 7: If I was offered the Saints head coaching job, I would take it, stay a coordinator assistant, or sit out and wait a year for better opportunity.
Speaker 3: I thought you're asking us like us in this room.
Speaker 2: That's Fritzy's poll question, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, real share, Okay, I thought it was a good one. Okay, but you didn't give him credit.
Speaker 7: Todd, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I think you were waiting for our reaction before. It's a veteran mc levin used to do that all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys didn't like that one?
Speaker 2: That was Todd? Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: I would take the job. I would take the stay job.
Speaker 8: Why do be a head coach?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'll start with the best hire three years from now. Yeah, well, okay, what is a good job? You know, If Aaron Glenn gets the Jets into the playoffs, did he do a great job? If Brian Schottenheimer just gets into the playoffs with the Cowboys over the next three years, did he do a good good job? I mean Mike McCarthy got him to the playoffs three times. Liam Cohen Jags get to the playoffs, Like I think we have to understand how we're grading them. If you make the playoffs, you make a title game, you make the super Bowl. Out of all of those hires, who's got the best chance to make it to the super Bowl? That might that might be what is the telltale sign of who did a really incredible job? Aaron Glenn the Jets, he still can't decide if they're bringing Aaron Rodgers back or Rodgers wants to come back. God, that's going to hang over them. I hope that they wrap that up quickly. I hope by the draft they know that Aaron is either backed for another year or he's not. Because if not, I mean I thought that that would be that was a detriment with that job that you kind of you were you had to absorb that you were walking in and all of a sudden that was handed to you like here you go. I don't know what the backup plan for the Jets is going to be, Yes, Tod, I think if we look at it.
Speaker 8: As in, we don't have to change the word in compolite, but which team looks like they're going in the right direction so this way we avoid wins losses? Did you reach the wild card round? Did you not finish in last place? And who would that be next year to what just happened this past year?
Speaker 2: No amount? Who looks like a Super Bowl contender in three years? Can you ask that question to gauge how successful somebody is could.
Speaker 4: Easily be none of them, though, and then it could you three years, it could be.
Speaker 2: Could thank you. I realized that in three years. I don't know if anything.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 2: That's why they had vacancies tot. That's because they that's asking a lot.
Speaker 4: For any of these people to get them towards the super Bowl the next two to three years. I think, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, teams with new coaches. The Patriots had the fourth pick of the draft, Jacksonville has a fifth, Vegas has a sixth pick of the draft. The Jets have the seventh pick of the draft. The Saints have the ninth.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now the Saints is just sort of a you know, it feels like they got seven wins in them, maybe eight, maybe nine if all goes well. Yes, Marvin, they're the Titans of the NFC.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, irrelevant, No Man's land.
Speaker 2: The better uniforms, yes, correct, yeah, actually correct, b better uniforms.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're somewhat no offense, stuck with Derek Carr, who's turning thirty four. He'll make about forty million dollars next year, and they cannot get rid of them this offseason in any way. Next offseason. Possibly, but he signed a four year, one hundred and fifty million dollar contract with the Saints.
Speaker 2: But that's it's not terrible.
Speaker 3: It's unfixable.
Speaker 2: But he's He's a top fifteen quarterback, isn't he?
Speaker 4: Seventeen?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 6: You could catch us.
Speaker 10: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check out this out.
Speaker 6: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls chop it up.
Speaker 10: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social.
Speaker 6: Media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Oh look who's there? Look at that face? Seaton encounter. Don't get too close with the camera there, Yo, seating on the road. What is the what is the location?
Speaker 9: We're in Greensboro, North Carolina right now.
Speaker 2: I'm with my guy Phil Collins.
Speaker 9: Believe it or not, this year Phil Collins is there. Yes, in the Maco world, Phil Collins is a big deal. I think he's like the largest owner of Mako's here. And then there's the other Phil Collins that would be more familiar with.
Speaker 3: No, no, no.
Speaker 9: I resisted every urge in my body to make some type of reference. I was like, I can't, but he's he's Luckily, he's a big Alabama guy. So we talked to Alabama Football and Nick Saban nil for a little bit, and no references to anything Genesis related.
Speaker 2: Okay, the highlight so far has been.
Speaker 9: Let's see, man, we had a really good dinner last night at a place called Machete or I'm not really sure which. Uh Me and the French kid haven't killed each other just yet, but that's could be on the way. But no, we're doing okay, we're doing okay. There's been at almost every place that we've stopped so far, at a make a location, somebody there is really into drifting, you know, like cars where they're like sliding around each other. So that's been pretty cool. That's actually there's like a huge I don't know, I mean, we're at a garage, so of course people it's positive popular there, but drifting is a big thing. It's pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: And where are we off to today?
Speaker 9: After Greensboro, We're going to Charlotte for a quick stop there. Then we're going to Greenville, South Carolina. Uh and then maybe if we have enough time, onto Atlanta.
Speaker 2: You're still on target for Friday in New Orleans?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we should make New Orleans on Friday. Yeah, that's the plan. But then we got to stop in Birmingham, Gulf Court, a couple other places.
Speaker 2: You're seeing all the make go people, that's it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, they're treating us well. We got coffee and donuts here.
Speaker 2: It's pretty sweet, all right, got it made you? And the French kid does he have his watermelon vape pen with him on it? He's not vaping.
Speaker 10: No, he isn't.
Speaker 9: He hasn't been vaping at all this time.
Speaker 4: It's been this trip.
Speaker 9: I could say for a lot of different reason that it has been much different than the previous two.
Speaker 2: No vaping, no, yeah, not his best behavior and no accidents yet.
Speaker 9: No, no, the ban is in exactly the same shape as when we left.
Speaker 2: Good. Well, good to see you. We'll chat with you tomorrow. Yeah, all right, see you guys. That's seat O'Connor on the road courtesy of Mako the Great folks there are new partner on the road to New Orleans in time for the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: He's the commissioner of the NBA for the last eleven years. Adam Silver joining us on the program High Commissioner. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm good, Dan. I need some more stuff on my desk.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 4: It's clean. I like all the stuff you got there though.
Speaker 2: Well, you got some poll with teams. Why don't you just have a little choskeys Garre? You get bobblehead dolls up there?
Speaker 4: I've got him. I just I put paper on my desk. We have a different jobs.
Speaker 2: What is the coolest thing in your office?
Speaker 4: I have one of shacks shoes. It looks like a snow boot and you could use it as a planner.
Speaker 2: Well, I have one too, his rebox shoe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't It was the brand that he created, okay. I think it was like dunk Man. I think was the brand.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: And it's enormous. It looks it doesn't look real.
Speaker 2: Well, he only gave me one. I don't know why he only gives out one shoe.
Speaker 4: He gave me the other. I only have one.
Speaker 2: You have the left and right. I think I have the left one, but I get the right.
Speaker 4: He split the pair between us.
Speaker 2: I got Tim Duncan shoes from when they won the NBA title against the Knicks, and he said, I'll give you my shoes if you tell me who's the number one sports entree athlete. They just win the NBA Championship. He comes in, I'm doing Sports Center. He's got his shoes and he writes to DP Tim Duncan and then he said, right, who's number one on the list? And I I nobody knew because we had that countdown. I said it's Jordan and he said, all right, here's your shoes. So I got Tim Duncan's shoes after the NBA Finals. Did you get any Jordan stuff when you were with you know, Commissioner Stern?
Speaker 4: No, I mean only because it wouldn't have been appropriate. I mean, I guess I was around a lot of Jordan stuff, but I wasn't a collector. I don't think it will be appropriate.
Speaker 2: Well, when you weren't the commissioner, you could have said, hey, be nice to get a pair of Mike's shoes.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I bought a lot of Jordan shoes over the years.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I talked to who is it? Tim? Who's the Tim? Uh?
Speaker 4: The Tim?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: No, Tim?
Speaker 2: Who was the bulls PR guy? Tim? Tim Hallam?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Tim?
Speaker 2: How he would get Jordan's shoes after every NBA finals. Every title, he Mike would take off the shoes and autograph them and hand them to them after everyone. I don't know if he sold those things, but those things got to be worth because their championship warn NBA shoes by Mike, they got to be worth a whole lot of money.
Speaker 4: And I think about the business Mike created as a division of Nike, the Jordan brand. I mean it's you know, it's a multi billion dollar business at this point. I mean, how many think about how many athletes have retained No, yeah, I kind of notoriety. You know this many decades post playing career, and it's I mean, he's an amazing guy obviously, and he's still a small owner in the league and Charlotte, but might you know I post his playing career, I mean I do him a bit over the years, but you know, post playing career, we got to be really close and he was obviously one of my bosses for the first several years I was a commissioner and still amazing person.
Speaker 2: Give me the list here, like, what's top on your list here of what needs to be addressed with the NBA.
Speaker 4: I think top on my list is the transition we're going through in media now. I mean we locked in our new media deals for essentially the next decade, staying with Disney, ABC and ESPN, moving to Comcast Universal Peacock in addition to being on NBC and now Amazon. But I think more interesting in a way is not just moving from one partner to another, but the shift in live sports to streaming. And I think where is most fancy it now? And maybe even a little bit of a pain that they got to switch off their box or whatever else and then find the app or however they have to do it. From a programming standpoint, it's still there finding what an essence looks like the same game, it's just streamed as other than being on broadcaster conventional cable. What's really fascinating to me is all the functionality that sort of Internet TV will allow through streaming, all the personalization, the customization that will come, all the new types of information you can prevent present to fans as they're watching games, you know, all that optionality. I think. I mean, you know, when I when we first met, I was at NBA Entertainment and sort of sort of began my career on the production side. And I think it's at this moment, we can redefine how we present the game to fans and also make it a lot more convenient. I mean, in our new deals, every game will be streamed, and we have a very young audience. You know, they're watching more screen time than ever before, but not traditional television. And I think our ability to bring those games directly to them and in ways they want to consume them. I'll add to that as well. I think using social media to engage fans, I mean, not just to interest them. I mean, like example, talked about recently, Victor wembin Yama was in New York on Christmas Day and then was around for two more days because then he played in Brooklyn two days later, and he's a chess player and he went to Washington Square Park. I'm sure you saw that clip. Something like one hundred million people, you know, a week saw video of him playing chess in Washington Square Park. And our viewership, which is fine, pales though in comparison to the social media following of these players and the league. That number you're on a global basis is over two billion. And I think sort of my job is to get more basketball lovers to watch to the NBA and watch it longer, and I think there's an opportunity to use social media to create more engagement, and not just to show how multifaceted Wemby is and he loves to play chess, but to teach people about the game, to celebrate the game, to demonstrate why, I know you're a college basketball player, I know you love the game, like why this is such an incredible game, and help people better understand what they're watching, understand the finer points of the game, and fair to be critical of it at times too. And you know, should there be less three point shooting, et cetera. I mean that's something we're very focused on. But when I day in and day out, you know, and I have all the various streaming services and have all the different programming available to me, I don't think it's an accident that people are increasingly gravitating towards premium live sports, not just basketball, but obviously football, hockey, baseball, et cetera. WNBA. Now, I think because people crave something that's live, something that's you know, unscripted, something that can be entertaining as well, and I think the basketball in the NBA can be all those things. But we also our job has become that much harder because we're competing against so many different forms of entertainment. It's podcasts and social media and unlimited numbers of channels and programming, and so we have to up our game too to make sure that we're finding ways to engage viewers and again to teach people about the game. And that's been one of my frustrations. I think that, and don't blame the broadcasters. And it's hard. You've broadcast a lot of basketball that the game's moving so quickly. You don't have the space that you might have in football or in baseball to be talking more about what's unfolding before you.
Speaker 2: But what bothers you more the ratings or the coverage of the ratings.
Speaker 4: The ratings are fine. I mean we're roughly even with last season for the regular season, which was the highest ratings for a regular season in four years. There is I get it. There was a narrative early in the season we were down a bit. I you know, it's you've been covering the league for a long time. I mean it seems that there's always a narrative around our sport. You know, too physical, too much isolation, scoring, too low, you know, super teams, player empowerment. I mean, I could go on and on, and then the narrative early in the season became the rats are down because of three point shooting. I think those are two independent issues. The ratings are now about even with last year, and as I said, you know, if you look more broadly at other measures of engagement, our attendance last season was the highest in the history of the league. I mean, you can't look at social media over too long a spectrum because it didn't exist, but if you but when you add in social media, the game has never been more popular in terms of the engagement. So do I get frustrated about around the narrative around ratings, Yes, especially when because of the decline in traditional television, decline in cable homes, everyone's down a bit, so you know, Plus we entered into our new deals for the next decade, so I feel good about that. But I think those narratives become a reality to the extent, especially even when we're doing well. It's still only a significant a relatively small percentage of the population that's watching live game, so there's a lot of people out there who may not be fans of the NBA and become consumed with that story. And again NBA seems to take a disproportionate amount of that discussion. I think maybe because we're so relevant from a societal standpoint, Our players have been outspoken. There's been a history of activism certain cases in this league. For whatever those reasons, I think at the end of the day, my job is to find more people who are in cline to want to watch live sports, to want to watch basketball, and convert them into NBA fans.
Speaker 2: Right let me let me want to lose sight of that. Let me do rapid fire because there's a few topics here. The NIL ruling has made college basketball more of an attractive path for athletes in recent years. I don't know if that changes allowing players out of high school that you will revisit that. But what is is the NC double A a friend or a foe to the NBA.
Speaker 4: NC double A is a great friend. In fact, Charlie Baker, who's the former governor of Massachusetts, I've gotten to know well over the last couple of years. We're talking about more that we can do together. I mean, you remember, in the not so old days, if we touched a amateur you know, high school player, we could cause them to lose their eligibility. Now, of course, you know, through collectives and NIL they're paid. And what we've been talking the nc double A about is we should jointly get more involved in youth basketball, particularly the training of elite players. The vast majority of them we'll never make it to the NBA, but we'll play in college. And so we have a joint interest not in developing elite players and then for the broader base of players. We have a joint interest in for young boys and of course young girls, getting them to be more active. You know, basketball is a great sport to do that, getting them again to love the game. Charlie Baker himself was a college player, so we're working together. I think on the specifically NIL and collectives. I think there's work to be done in college basketball because just like in the NBA, where over successive collective bargain agreements we've helped to level the playing field in terms of competition. We've had six different teams when championships over the last six years. At the end of the day, we're selling competition and I think college has to work through some issues where now as players in essence, through the portal, can become essentially free agent every year. You know that there's no really real salary structure, so you have a lot of real you know how to whack balance in terms of teams ability to compete. And I think for fans of the college game, and I'm one of them, at the end of the day, you want to see great competition in Division one.
Speaker 2: Will you revisit like the G League. You've got players who are just going to the G League. If you allowed them to come out of high school to the NBA, they wouldn't be going to the G League, I would imagine right well, yes, But.
Speaker 4: In fact, you know, back before those court rulings which allowed the collectives in NIL, at the urging of Condallisa Rice, who oversaw a commission with the nc double A and President Obama to a certain extent, we were asked to create a professional track because the view was it was unfair to so called force these young men to go to college for you year before they came into the NBA. So we weren't ready to return to eighteen as the minim mage in the NBA. We stayed at nineteen, but through the G League we created something called Team McKnight, where we were paying players several hundred thousand dollars a year in a pro track and then come into the NBA. That seems like a pittance now based on what players are able to earn in Division one through these college programs. And frankly, I think the track through these great college programs is better than what we were offering them in the G League because they have first class training facilities, some of the greatest coaches out there, planes, etc. That didn't make sense in our economic model and still doesn't for the G League. So I'm perfectly fine with them going to college. And by the way, you know what you've also seen with NIL and collective money is there's a big pool of international players who would have stayed largely in Europe and played are now coming to play Division one basketball because it's a better economic situation for them and ultimately a bet probably better development too, if their goal is to get into the NBA.
Speaker 2: Give me the wildest thing that you guys have considered. I'm sure there's always you know, we're going to try this. You know, the NFL doing the kickoff the way they did. It's pretty crazy that that's what it looks like. Give me a this has been discussed, I mean one that's only.
Speaker 4: Been discussed a little. I wouldn't put it necessarily in the category of being so wild. Is potentially two free throws for a foul and a three point shot. That's I don't necessari think I would do it in the last two minutes of the game. But I think that's something interesting, something else that I'm a fan of, and I'm probably in a minority as we get more involved in global basketball. The NBA is the only league that plays forty eight minutes, and I would be I am a fan of four ten minutes quarters. I'm not sure that many others are. I mean, putting inside what it means for records and things like that. I think that a two hour format for a game is more consistent sort of modern television habits. I don't think people in arenas aren't asking us to shorten the game, but I think as a television program being two hours, that's Olympic basketball. It's being is two hours. You know, college basketball courses.
Speaker 5: Why you like it?
Speaker 2: I'd say it has kind of a little bit of a push there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's such a dramatic change to the game. I mean, I think something like that would have to be talked more about over time.
Speaker 2: I mean, incidentally, dramatic commissioner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I get it, And I don't know if I'm a fan of what baseball did. I'm a baseball fan, and I think some of those changes have really increased sort of the engagement, the entertainment value of the game, and so I'm paying a lot of attention to that. And in fact, I've used you know, the pitch clock, that sort of the increasing the size of the base, et cetera meetings at the NBA to say, you know, if baseball, which is more locked into tradition, and I don't I don't mean that negatively than any other sport. And part of what baseball provides is the tradition, the legacy that if they're able to make those changes, certainly we shouldn't be afraid to look at changes as well. So, you know, I also think though we have made a series of changes over the years, they haven't been as dramatic in many cases. You know, we've we've changed the format in the last two minutes of the game, so we wouldn't have as many stoppages. We have a coaches challenge now, you know we did. We had the hack a shack issue. We changed the rule there. I mean, there's there's this. We added the cup, you know, which we now have. We have a play in tournament. I mean, so we've made significant changes.
Speaker 2: I have an idea before I let you go. How about we take away the three point line during the in season tournament.
Speaker 4: Interesting?
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's like the issue there that wasn't interesting.
Speaker 4: I'm not like, I like the three point shot. I mean, let me take a step back. I mean, if you think from when you first started covering the NBA to the skill level of big men now, I mean, look at Victor Webbin Yama, look at Jannis you know, look look at Yo Kisch. Look what these guys can do.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 4: It was it was like the fact that they are so skillful that they can shoot from these kinds of distances, shoot in the way guards used to be able to, Like, like, is there too much three point shooting in certain situations? Maybe? But I also don't want to overreact to what we're seeing in the game, because the game goes through transitions. I think the game is incredible right now, day in day out. I think some of the criticism is a bit unfair, and that goes back to my earlier point that I think the league needs to do a better job teaching about the game so that there's real appreciation for what people are seeing out there. But and again, like you know, ratings are fine, we have enormous global interest. People like what they're seeing right now on the floor. So I don't necessarily buy into the premise that it would be a better game if you if you eliminated three point shooting.
Speaker 2: How about we make the floor like a pinball machine where the three point line lights up, and when it lights up, then you know you're able to take threes like you could. You could really dress up the floor. You guys did a pretty good job at the end season, but why don't we make it pinball like I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if you remember, but last year at All Star on All Star Saturday Night, we had literally a lit court. Yeah, and we've played with things like that. I mean, like, I have one foot in sort of the traditionalist camp, you know, and I really do care about the game, and I think it's so special that I think when you moved to that place that where it seems too gimmicky, and I don't think, and I think what baseball did. They found a right down the middle path where they preserved what's so great about that, but found some ways to speed it up. I think have been very effective. So we're open here. We talk a lot about potential change the game. I just add back to some notion of a forty point of a forty minute game. I mean, because this game is so global, one of the things we'd like to see over time is creating a more consistent set of rules globally around the game, like you know again the Olympic basketball. I'm sure you watched you know on NBC and Peacock the US, Serbia, US France. Those people are basketball fans. Some are saying those are two of the best games they ever saw. Concidentally, if you went to a forty minute game with the issues around load management and resting, it would be the equivalent of I don't know the exact math taking like fifteen games off this season. I like that so and I don't think most fans would be disappointed if it was a two hour presentation instead of a you know, our game is actually about two hours and fifteen.
Speaker 2: Well, you're going to find out the reaction the rest of the day as this gets posted that you're considering ten minute quarters. I gotta go.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't fully say you asked me for some ideas. Still not quite at that level.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying there's a vote this week, Commissioner. I'm just saying social media will look at this and go, hey, that sounds great. Now we got guys playing more. Maybe the games are more intense and it's forty minute games, and it's great for TV, great for everybody. For another day, For another day, I have to.
Speaker 4: Go Muriels in Jackson Square in New Orleans. Okay, Murials, I'm not sure, in all due respect to your caller, I would go. I'd go to New Orleans for sushi.
Speaker 2: Can I drop your name at Muriels.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure it'll be helpful, but absolutely.
Speaker 2: Do you have an open tab at that restaurant?
Speaker 4: I will if you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, awesome, Uh, but I'm not going alone. I'm bringing my my, my whole team here. Yes, they're going.
Speaker 4: With longtime listener.
Speaker 2: Day great. Great to catch up with you again, Thank you, Commissioner.
Speaker 4: Ye by bye.
Speaker 2: That's uh. Commissioner Adam Silver