Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It's Monday, June thirtieth.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robock.
Speaker 3: Did yell check the falls there? We still have twenty third in the rundown. We didn't update it.
Speaker 2: It happens.
Speaker 3: It happens all the time, Monday. But it is June twenty third, folks.
Speaker 2: No, it's the Oh sorry, it's the thirtieth.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's start over, hey, folks, it is June the thirtieth. Yes, on Monday. I am DJ Holmes. That is Amy Robock, and we are about to get this thing going. We don't know if you hear some of the ambient noise around us, but we are sitting lakeside right now. Got out of the town for the for the weekend. It's all the kids, we're going.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: So now we just got the birds chirping and some boats churning by.
Speaker 3: Yes, So, folks, thank you for being with us here on this Monday, and kind of an awful story over the weekend, and an awful story we have to lead with now because this is the word coming from the police out in Idaho. They did not have a chance, and what they're talking about are firefighters. Firefighters who were shot and killed after responding to a fire intentionally set to allure them to the scene. We will give you the latest on this developing and really heartbreaking story.
Speaker 1: Out of about Hope, all right, And then a teenage girl is fighting for her life this morning after a late night shooting injures two teenage girls following New York City's annual Pride parade, and the United Nations is weighing in on that ongoing debate over just how much damage the US airstrikes did to Iran's nuclear capabilities.
Speaker 3: Also this morning, the US and Canada are back on track again after a brief and public breakup of sorts on Friday, and the most public secret wedding ever is in the books. Jeff Bezos is married finally after a three day celebrity extravagance.
Speaker 1: And the jury in the Didy trial will begin deliberations later this morning deciding the fate of Sean Colmes, who was facing five counts and life in prison. And billionaire Warren Buffett just dropped a bit on the Forbes Richest People in the World list, but for a very good reason and.
Speaker 3: A miracle at sea. A four year old girl falls overboard from a cruise ship. Her dad jumps in after her, and everybody is okay. Also, Beyonce's concert in Houston had to be stopped mid song last night. Why because somebody needed to rescue Beyonce and Apple has its first ever box office hit. And all it took was Brad Pitt to make it happen. That was one of the few highlights actually with the weekend at the box office. We'll get into here in a minute.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, it was a disappointing weekend at the box office. We'll contribute a little bit to it today actually, all right, but.
Speaker 3: We do need to start. Folks in Idaho, what an awful story here. Two firefighters die in the line of duty on Sunday and rohomees. I know we hear about firefighters dying in the line of duty. The first thing, obviously automatically you think a fire fighting a fire and something happened. We're talking about firefighters, folks who died in the line of duty, shot and killed after responding to the scene of a fire. Authority say it too that the fire was intentionally set by a suspected gunman. For the purpose of ambushing first responders.
Speaker 1: This happened at Canfield Mountain. It's a popular area for hikers in northern Idaho. Police say a call came in about a brush fire early afternoon yesterday, and after firefighters got to the scene, gunfire erupted, but they did not know exactly where it was coming from. Police say there was a sniper hiding in the wooded area nearby.
Speaker 3: Then the gunman continued firing at first responders and then at police who showed up to respond to the reports of gunfire. A third firefighter was also shot. His condition is said to be stable at Ropes. Also, the police chief there described that firefighter as at one point fighting for his life and surgery.
Speaker 1: This is just awful and terrible, and it's just hard to get your head around because police say, yes, they then found the alleged gunman in that wooded area of the mountain, but he was dead with a gun near him. They have not released the identity.
Speaker 2: Of that person.
Speaker 1: They're not saying that what possible motive could be for this attack. It's all very puzzling and disturbing and just downright sad. The fire is still burning too, correct, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they so they can't do a lot with their trying to preserve this area where this suspect is dead. But right, you got to clear it, make sure it's safe before you can go in there and start doing an investigation. So a lot of evidence might end up getting lost because of the fire. But fire scene. If they nine to one one calls and there's a fire, what do they send fire? There isn't an overwhelming police response, or to their part, these guys had no chance. They're not there to they don't have any defensive position they production.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they would never have anticipated anything like that as well.
Speaker 2: So terrible situation.
Speaker 3: All right. I want to continue on the run here another shooting tell you about much different and a much different location as well. We're talking about the West Village now for the next leg of our run. West Village in Manhattan. A seventeen year old girl is in critical condition this morning after a shooting at the end of New York City's annual Pride Prey.
Speaker 1: That's right, two teenage girls were shot. The seventeen year old was shot in the head and rushed to the hospital. The other, a sixteen year old girl, was shot in the leg. She is in stable condition this morning. This all happened just hours ago, after ten pm last night, near the famous Stonewall Inn.
Speaker 3: Yeah. New York Mayor Eric Adams, who was a part of the celebrations earlier in the day, did tweet that he was saddened to learn about the shooting at Stonewall. He' said quote during a time when our city should be rejoicing and celebrating members of our diverse LGBTQ plus community, incidents like this are devastating worlds. Is hard to put into context just how big of a deal and how important, frankly, how wild and fun and crazy this celebration. It's a big, big deal.
Speaker 2: We have been a part of it. I used to live right next to Stonewall and we have.
Speaker 1: Certainly we would have been there yesterday if we hadn't been Lakeside, because we have a friend who owns a restaurant nearby, so we would have absolutely participated in it. It's a family affair, it's a joyful affair. This isn't one where you worry about gun shops. So this is really sad, and police so far have made no arrest in the shooting. A gun was reportedly found in the scene, but they don't know if the shooting was targeted or had anything to do with Pride celebrations yet, because this is still early on in the investigation. But the New York City Pride March is the largest march of its kind in the country. It commemorates the nineteen sixty nine Stonewall riots, which sparked the modern LGBTQ plus rights movement. And again, this is all happening right at the steps of that stone wall in Okay.
Speaker 3: You can't find a more joyful, energetic event. It's short than that, and thankly there's a gunfire. We shouldn't have to worry about that. Continue on our run here on this Monday morning. We're getting another assessment of the damage done to Iron's nuclear program after those US air strikes last week.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: President Trump, of course, says the program was totally obliterated. His words, and they've pushed back strongly against a leaked Pentagon report that suggest that the Iran program was only set back by a matter of months.
Speaker 1: Well, the UN Nuclear watchdog Agency has now chimed in and is not in agreement with the President, but rather the group is suggesting that Iran's nuclear program only suffered a setback. Speaking to CBS News yesterday, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency said Iran could be enriching uranium again in a matter of months.
Speaker 3: Yea, his words here quote. It is clear that there was severe damage, but it is not total damage. If they so wish, they will be able to start doing this again. The capacities they have are there, they can have in a matter of months. Wait for the pushback from the White House on that one, But there's this huge back and forth, all that effort, all the secrecy, all that it's set off. Ultimately, was it even worth it if they only got set back by a few months, that way will continue.
Speaker 1: I think the argument could be made that it's worth it if a ceasefire does actually continue after those strikes.
Speaker 2: We shall see on that one though.
Speaker 1: Next up on a run, the US and Canada appear to have kissed and made up after a brief but very public breakup on Friday.
Speaker 2: And this won't come as a shock.
Speaker 1: It was President Trump who initially did the dumping riding on social media on Friday that was terminating all discussions on trade with Canada. And yes, all was in all caps.
Speaker 3: Yes, the President made this move because of a tax that Canada was imposing on the US, in particular on US tech companies. It's called the Digital Services Tax, and it would hit all US companies like Google, Meta and Amazon. Is essentially a tax for doing any kind of electronic commerce in Canada. They say that hasn't been there, so they've been using Canadians for free Google and Meta and Amazon and the like. So they were trying to even this imbalanced. But the White House say this is actually discriminatory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they called it a direct and blatant attack on our country. The tax was set to be started or was going to be collected, starting today, but last night the Canadian Prime Minister announce Canada would rescind that tax so that negotiations between the US and Canada can continue on a trade deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, more to come on that, of course.
Speaker 3: All right. Next up here we go from Lakeside to Venice. Let's go to Venice now, folks. Three day celebrity filled and much protested Jeff Bezols Italian wedding extravaganza. Apparently it's over.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's over.
Speaker 1: Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez are married. And guess what the city of Venice has now made an estimated sixty eight percent of its annual tourism revenue in just one weekend. That is according to Venice's Ministry of Tourism.
Speaker 3: Pipe down in your protests exactly right, pipe down. You can see why they would push back. That is a big deal in a big number. Is it worth it? Is it worth it for having those people there, for having all well, but all that attention to your city. A lot of people are gonna want to go now, aren't they.
Speaker 1: And by the way, that's not even mentioning the fact that Bezos donated a million dollars to three different environmental charities who are there to study and help preserve the city of Venice, and they did what they could to try and offset the footprint they left behind.
Speaker 3: I don't want to downplay the concert. If you're a local, if that's your community, that's your home, your local. I don't want to see Kim car dash you want to walk down the street. I don't want to see the security that has to come with Kim guard.
Speaker 2: Asks the paparazzi that's following them.
Speaker 3: You get where they're coming from. But this was sixty eight percent. That's a lot in a weekend all right. One news vallet referred to the wedding as both the most public and secretive wedding of the year. Photos of the gowns, the glamor of the guest, they're everywhere at this point. It was on Friday that the two actually wed in a private ceremony on a secluded island in Venice, Periers. That two hundred or so guests honored the social media blackout once inside the weekend's event, So no picture do anything from inside. They were better behave than the folks of the met gala. I guess sometimes that's right.
Speaker 1: So you've got the Kardashians, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, Usher, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ivanka Trump just a few of the famous faces seen attending the wedding. And yeah, there were no pictures or details really from what happened inside those events.
Speaker 2: They've been kept under wraps.
Speaker 1: There was one small detail I thought was interesting that came out in Italian media. It was reported that the son of Andrea Bocelli, Matteo Bacelli, kicked off the wedding by singing Can't help Falling in Love by Elvis Presley and the other detail we got Friday evening, Lauren Sanchez officially changed her Instagram handle to Lauren Sanchez Bezos is probably I bet.
Speaker 2: You it is. Yeah, I'm sure. Now she now wants to be known too.
Speaker 3: If you are the richest woman in the world, my last thing would be no problem.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: That's fair at all. All right, you folks, One more sho here before we take a quick little break. But we want to give your heads up about something going on today. And it is a big day back in Manhattan, the Diddy trial. The jury is going to get the case today and start deliberating finally the fate of Sean Combs. Seven weeks of testimony are in the books and the jury heard closing arguments at the end of last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's the schedule today. The judge will give the jury their instructions this morning. Did He is facing five federal counts, one racketeering conspiracy, two sex trafficking and two transportation to engage in prostitution charges, and with all of those he is facing up to life in prison.
Speaker 3: Also a couple of Didy related notes here having to do with his sons. They made headlines of their own over the past several days. First, one son, King Combs, who is an artist. He released an album on the same day that his dad's defense started closing arguments. Now one song is catching everybody's attention. I wonder why because the title of the song is quote did he Free? That's the name of the song, Diddy Free. Now the chorus goes, we ain't gonna sleep until we see Ditty Free. But another line will jump out at you. It says, when shit gets sus they try to play the victim.
Speaker 1: Hm m.
Speaker 3: You cant jump to your own conclusion on that one? And one more line f the world, critics and the witness oof again, jump to your own conclusion?
Speaker 2: Yes, all right. The album was produced by Yay.
Speaker 1: That's Kanye West, who is also an outspoken Ditty supporter who showed up in court one day a couple of weeks ago. And meanwhile, another of Ditty's sons, Justin, has been named in a new lawsuit along with his dad. He's accused of luring a woman to La with the promise of a career opportunity, but instead, the lawsuit alleges that woman was gang raped by Combs and two other men.
Speaker 3: Yeah, combs attorney did respond to that lawsuit, saying, and I quote, no matter how many lawsuits are filed, they won't change the fact that mister Colmbs has never sexually assaulted or sex trafficked anyone man or woman, adult or minor. So he's coming to a conclusion here on this criminal case. Don't even there is not an accurate count anywhere of how many lawsuits now civil lawsuits he's facing. All right, we'll stay with us fokes here on this Monday morning when we come back. Oh my goodness, warm buffet, he is giving away six billion dollars. Don't worry, he's still gonna be rich. Also coming up a scary scene a kid falls off a cruise ship. Dad jumps in. But hey, everybody's going to be all right. Beyonce had to be saved from our own concert, and top Gun on wheels is doing its thing at the box office.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to this Monday morning run. And next up on the run, Warren Buffett just gave away six billion dollars to five charities over the weekend. Before the donation, he was Forbes's fifth richest person in the world. Afterwards, he dropped to number six.
Speaker 3: Poor fella. The latest donation was his biggest annual money drop in nearly twenty years. Last June, Buffett gave away five point three billion dollars. Last fall, he gave away another one point one billion dollars. A ninety four year old billionaire started giving away his fortune back in two thousand and six, and.
Speaker 1: He will continue to give back even after his death through a charitable trust that will be overseen by his kids. Buffett says he's going to be giving away ninety nine and a half percent of his one hundred and fifty plus billion dollar fortune.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool, all right.
Speaker 3: We'll continue on the run here with a very scary afternoon on a Disney cruise ship, because this is what happened for one family. A four year old somehow fell overboard, reportedly from a deck four is what it's called, as the ship was making its way back to Fort Lauderdale from the Bahamas. Now ropes, they say deck four. I assume that's just the highest deck or is that the lowest deck four?
Speaker 2: I think it's up high.
Speaker 1: People described it as it like miraculous, like you would think that someone would die from falling from this, and they don't know how the child fell because they were plexiglass covers.
Speaker 2: There there was a.
Speaker 1: Track, a walking track on that deck where people would walk around. So it's really unclear what happened, but according to fellow passengers, the father jumped in immediately after his little girl fell overboard. Can you imagine how scary, how scary that must have been. And remarkably, both were rescued by cruise ship staff. Social media posts all described quick reaction from crew members who launched life preservers.
Speaker 2: There was a big announcement like man overboard.
Speaker 1: A rescue boat was launched within minutes of the little girl and her dad hitting the water.
Speaker 3: Disney Cruz spokesperson said, quote, we commend our crew members for their exceptional skills and prompt actions which ensured the safe return of both guests to the ship within minutes. We are committed to the safety and will being of our guest in the incident highlights the effectiveness of our safety protocols. It possibly rose highlights some increased safety measures that should take place because a four year old is not supposed to be able to fall.
Speaker 2: Off correct correct.
Speaker 3: So we've seen these things. A kid just as not supposed to be able to climb over no and easily fall off. So what in God's name happened?
Speaker 1: They're gonna have to be doing some massive investigating on that. Thank goodness, they're both okay, but yes, there needs to be some other measures put in place, all right. Next up on a run, Beyonce's concert in Houston had to be stopped last night because Beyonce had to be rescued.
Speaker 2: This was also a very scary site.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this prop car. You've seen this at concerts before. They get more elaborate and some of the bigger stars do this, but they will be on some kind of apparatus that kind of floats around the crowd. It's kind of cool give people in the back kind of a close up view of them. And she does this with a prop cars, this red cool car that she sits on top of, and she was sitting on it. It was flying over the crowd, but it malfunctioned and so it started tilting to one side. It's looked to put this in your head, it looks as it's tilting like if it keeps tilting, it's essentially gonna dump Beyonce out of the car. Obviously, she does have harnessed on for safety and all that but at the moment it looks really scary, and you could hear her say into the microphone, stop stop. I give her credit because she said it calmly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine.
Speaker 1: So the music does eventually stop, the car stop tilting, but it stayed in that tilted position as the crew had to safely bring her back down in the middle of the crowd. She got out without incident, went backstage for a little bit, but then, you know what, the show must go on. The consummate performer that she is, she came back out. She finished the show saying this to her hometown crowd. If I ever fall, I know y'all would catch me.
Speaker 3: It's kind of perfect.
Speaker 2: It's cute.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a perfect response in that matter. It happened in her hometown. But if you all the video is everywhere, you certainly will see it today. But it is terrifying to see what was happening. To think one of the biggest stars on planet Earth was in it. But yes, she did have a harness and that's why they have them. Last leg of the run here top gun on wheels. That marketing campaign seems to have worked for Brad Pitt's f won the movie finish at the top of the weekend box office, opening with fifty five point six million dollars in the US, and this was right in line with the experts expectations.
Speaker 1: All right, well, this is likely to go on its way to become Apple's first big hit and the highest grossing film Apple has ever put out.
Speaker 2: Remember Killer of the Flower.
Speaker 3: Moon A lot of you probably don't.
Speaker 1: Or fly Me to the Moon, Yeah, probably don't remember that with it or Argyle That sounds kind of a little bit not really though. Basically those were their other quote unquote hits. Uh. The How to Train Your Dragon Live action remake keeps doing its thing. It came in second at the box office this weekend.
Speaker 3: Okay, l EO was third. You heard it had a disastrous opening. It was the lowest opening last weekend and Pixar history. So it is in third now, but in fourth. Robes a disappointment here for Megan two point zho. It's the sequel to that mega hit Magan, the original that was kind of a viral sensation, and it the sequel. I didn't realize it was coming out this weekend. We knew it was coming, but I didn't realize this weekend, but it only made ten million dollars and that was only good enough for fourth place.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty million.
Speaker 2: When we saw the trailer for it, it looked good. We do want to see it.
Speaker 1: We just maybe, like everyone else, didn't realize that it was already opening this weekend.
Speaker 3: The suggestion is it had its moment. The first one. It was kind of a viral hit. You remember they it was supposed to be rated R. They changed with the PG thirteen because the Megan clips that went online of the doll dancing went crazy. It went viral and it became kind of that kind of a sleeper hit. They say, maybe it had its moment and that was it. No, I shouldn't have tried to.
Speaker 2: We'll still go see it, Yes we will.
Speaker 3: And then twenty eight years later was number five at the WOW. It was a huge drop off from its opening weekends.
Speaker 1: Oh, we have tickets to go see that today, so we will. We'll be back to report on how all of that is. But we're very excited about those movies, and we would like you to consider this as you go about your day to day on this Monday.
Speaker 2: It is our quote of the day.
Speaker 3: When I'm old and dying. I plan to look back on my life and say, wow, that was an adventure, not wow, I sure felt safe. That's come on, everybody, put that in your pocket. Go how are you gonna argue with that?
Speaker 1: Right? I You know, I was actually in search for a good quote this morning. It took me a while, and then I saw this one and I laughed, and I just thought, what a great way to put that. What a great way. When you're debating what to do what not to do, think about what Tom Preston Werner said. He's an American billionaire entrepreneur at the age of forty six, so he clearly has well he's he's someone that maybe perhaps we could all aspire to be more like.
Speaker 2: So this is what he said, and we'll leave it with you today.
Speaker 1: When I'm old and dying, I plan to look back on my life and say, wow, that was an adventure, not wow, I sure felt safe. And with that you all, Oh, we also hope you can check out our Yeahhoo life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got our We've got this is our fourth week.
Speaker 1: Actually, now we have our brand new it's not so brand new, but new ish relationship advice column on the Yahoo Life page. So we've got a new question out there for folks, so take a look at it, let us know what you think, and thanks for running with us on this Monday.
Speaker 2: I Ami Robots and I'm TJ Holmes.
Speaker 3: See y'll say