Speaker 1: What is up, Dolphins, and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's episode, a reprieve from the positional Capsules, We're gonna take a look at the Bobby Slowick hiring and what that means for the Dolphins offensive staff.
Speaker 2: Plus, I caught up.
Speaker 1: With two members of the Board of Advisors for the DC see the Dolphins Cancer Challenge, Braxton Barrios and Jaln Phillips. They will both join me on the show. Also from last night's episode of Dolphins HQ. Plus, I want to end the show with a monologue I wrote regarding local coverage of your favorite football team from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast, Ye Daffy. We're gonna kick this off with the news that kind of was the big news of the week for your Miami Dolphins and the hiring of Bobby Slowick as the pass game coordinator here on Mike McDaniel's offensive staff. And he spent the last two years as the offensive coordinator for the Houston Texans. Prior to that, he was the passing game coordinator for the forty nine Ers, a promotion he earned after being a defensive quality control coach to offensive assistant, to pass game specialist up to that pass game coordinator there for the forty nine ers. So he was there from twenty seventeen to twenty twenty two, spent five years there with Mike McDaniel on staff, and was a defensive assistant with the Washington football team from eleven to thirteen, coinciding with Mike McDaniel's time there, along with Kyle shanahan in Washington. The first thing that jumps out to me is the cross training on the other side of the football. Look, these guys aren't oblivious to the other side of the football right. In fact, most coaches will take it as a slight if you call them offensive or defensive minded. I remember Brian Flores when he would be told by a member of the press that you were a defensive minded coach. He would take quite exception with that. They are football coaches. Now that said, approaching it from the perspective of here's how we present it, here's how you've attacked it. Now, here's how we adjust, and you're going to have to come up with the adjustment to that. I think there's a lot of value in that with having those eyes and those perspective in those defensive meetings over you know, the course of a few years. I think the value of this higher in general is pretty significant because it adds another voice, another perspective, another collection of experiences to those game plan meetings over you know, a handful of years. The intricacies of how things get installed. You know, you watch the opposition, you see where they're strong, where you should avoid, but you mostly watch to find out where they're weak, where they can be exploited, and you try to attack that you know, vulnerability in that defense relentlessly until they adjust, and then you have your plan to adjust to the adjustment. It's all about evolving and being one step ahead.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You get your input in those weekly meetings for the early down stuff on like a Tuesday. Then you get into your red zone, your third down, your two minute package on Thursday and Friday. It's a whole process with multiple guys working day and night every night to get that game plan, that three hour mission statement for Sunday, ready for primetime, ready to rock and roll. And in both the case of Mike McDaniel and Bobby Slowick, you know, the Texans offense last year really petered out in a bad way for most of the year, but especially down the stretch. They were a five to one football team who kind of fell off after that and just could not find their offensive identity beyond you know, those first five wins they got and kind of limped their way into the postseason and a bad division. And if you look at you know what beat riders or film watchers or generally evaluators, they tend to put it on what the offensive construction was, and there was just a little, just too small amount of imagination to adjust and adapt for things for how the defenses would adjust them and turn to what was a high powered offense in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Does that sound familiar?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's been better here in terms of not being totally stagnant down the stretch like Houston was. But we've run into similar issues the last few years, especially in twenty two in twenty three when it kind of felt like things got sort of figured out down the stretch of those two seasons. So now we have another mind that knows the system for over a decade, a guy that has called plays within this system has coached a quarterback with very similar skills to Tua and C. J. Stroud in terms of the process, the anticipation, the accuracy. Has coached on the defensive side against this system in practice every day. I think that extra arm of collaboration allows you to hopefully stave off stagnation down the stretch of the season.
Speaker 2: So that's the hope that I have there.
Speaker 1: And man, you look across this entire Dolphin staff, there's rock stars all up and down it. I mean, Frank Smith, Anthony Weaver, and Bobby Slowick have all within the last thirteen months of the calendar interviewed for head coaching jobs the NFL.
Speaker 2: That I mean, you know this. You followed this team for as long as I have. That doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: We have never had assistant coaches really be the apple of other teams eyes. Darryl Bevell is about as respected as you can be in terms of an assistant coach, and he's been an offensive coordinator for Juggernaut offenses, has coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks like he's a dude. Eric Studisville has been an interim head coach. He's kind of the og on the staff here. Him and John Embry, someone that John U. Smith has raved about. We all know what Butcher Berry brings. Austin Clark's defensive line plays awesome every single year since he got here and has survived multiple coaching changes in that process. Bobby's brother, Ryan Slowock, was such a rock start outside linebackers coach that when they got Ryan Crow in the building, who took DC interviews this year, which shows you his competence, they wanted to keep Slowik on staff, so they found a new position for him because I think that highly of him. Joe Berry years as a DC in Green Bay and even more productive years the linebackers coach across the NFL. Matthew Arugo a rising star in the coaching ranks. I don't think it's far fetch to say one of the best things that Mike McDaniel has done in Miami is build a really good coaching staff full of name brand guys that want to work with him.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of value in that.
Speaker 1: When you're an attractive destination, you become that for players as well. And the conversation about you know, not being a pick me franchise, where we get these guys in here and kind of let them, you know, rule the roost. That's a separate conversation, but in terms of attracting the big name, there's a lot of value in that. And coach has always been one that's say, master of delegation, empowering his coaches to do what they were hired to do. And you have to be able to do that. You have to be able to be freed up to handle the day to day stuff, the day to day operations, the administrative stuff that's just never going to fall on an assistant coach, but it becomes your daily reality as the head coach. And we've heard, you know, Ryan Fitzpatrick has talked about this. Eric Rowe did a podcast recently talking about this where with Brian Flores they felt he kind of lost the thread and the trust of his coaching staff and became way too involved with his input, not just on the defense, where his specialty lies, but on the other side of the ball offensively and basically reduces the value of your coaches and pulls you away from admin stuff, which is how you get a culture where guys are afraid to approach anybody and speak their mind. So there was, you know, issues with that approach I think McDaniel's ability to delegate out to a much more qualified coaching staff has a lot of value as well. So with all of that in mind, getting another and this maybe is too strong of a term, but kind of a powerhouse mind. You know, there's not probably ten people on the planet who know the Shanahan system better in terms of experiences and calling it from a play caller standpoint than Bobby Slowick within this system. Back with a guy that turned his knowledge of this system into a head coaching job in Mike McDaniel. Again, I go back to this term. I think there is immense value to that. Now with slowx' timex's offenses, I want to look at how it compared to what we did from a personnel and design standpoint, and the personnel breakdowns here for the Dolphins in twenty twenty four, we ran eleven personnel, the most in vogue personnel grouping in the NFL, three receivers, one back, one tight end just thirty eight percent of the time, and we had two backs into the game where you bring alec Ingold in for a third receiver, so it's two backs, one tight end, two receivers. We ran that thirty percent of the time the twelve personnel grouping, which is two tight ends, two receivers, one back twenty one percent of the time. So we have one of the more unique disparities in terms of how we deploy our offense. There's you know, some twenty two personnel, some thirteen personnel, and I look at how the Texans did things last year, sixty two percent eleven personnel, so more than or almost double what we ran thirty two percent twelve personnel, which is right in line with what we did. And then they ran some thirteen personnel. They didn't roster a full back, so it was a very small amount of two back sets for them and a heavy emphasis on eleven personnel compared to us spreading more of those snaps to running backs and fullbacks. And you look at the construction of the roster. I mean, it makes perfect sense because they had Stefan Diggs, Nico Collins, Tank Dell, and John Metchi. I too would want to get those guys on the field as much as possible. They did, however, get rookie tight end Caged Dover up to speed so much so that he played four hundred STAPs on the season and got rolling down the stretch, and he was actually a pretty big absence in their offense in the game against US because he had an append deck to me the night before the game. I mean, one third of their snaps were in twelve personnel, and that coincides with you guessed it, Stefan Diggs getting hurt in October and that personnel disparity really changing drastically, then totally changing towards more tight end usage when Tank Dell got hurt in week sixteen, And if you go back to twenty twenty three in Miami was forty five percent eleven personnel down to just eight percent twelve personnel forty two percent twenty one, And it's a similar trend for the Texans as well. They were a sixty percent eleven personnel team. They were down to eleven percent from their twelve personnel groupings. And both of those stats are like a three hundred percent increase for either time from their use of two tight end packages. They went from two back personnel in twenty twenty three with a little bit of a fullback end there to almost none and all on twenty twenty four. We also went from thirteen personnel not being a package. We ran to three percent last year. Not a crazy jump, but you know, from nothing to something at all is noteworthy.
Speaker 2: So what does all of this mean.
Speaker 1: The good news for us is, you know our Week one opponent, whoever that might be, they're not going to get to know. Nobody's going to get to know until September eighth, whenever that opening game will be. But I think it means you just added another collection of experiences within the scheme, someone who has seen different evolutions of how it functions, how the league has sort of adjusted from a defensive perspective to the most in vogue offensive attack that at first was like we don't know how to stop this thing, to now there kind of is a blueprint to stop it. And now the best coaches from that wing that you know this system are going to have to come up with the next wrinkle, the next adjustment to put defenses back on their back foot. And to me, a lot of that is just a power running game, which the Packers have shown you, the Rams have shown you. The Nyers and Dolphins gonna have to catch up to that mentality here soon. I think I just think there's a lot of value of someone you've known for decades, someone you've worked with for a long time, because that trust develops and is so integl in this position and someone to say, hey, you know, I don't think that's the best way to do it.
Speaker 2: What if we did it this way? Because even having.
Speaker 1: Those conversations, those pushbacks, those hey man, like we can do better than that. It allows you to see, like the crystal ball into the future.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The more eyes you have, the more anticipatory you can be. Like if this were chess, you try and anticipate what the opponent will do next. Another set of eyes with those similar experiences with this system will say, hey, if they show quarters and then they invert it and use this rush game up front, like what if we do this? Like they're prepared for more angles of attack of butotential problems and give you more potential solutions to those problems.
Speaker 2: So I love it.
Speaker 1: This coaching staff, I think is a strength of this football team. And to put a bow on it, you know, think about the different backgrounds on the offensive staff and where they came from in their coaching careers to get to this position. McDaniel was a run game cordator in San Francisco for years. SLOWK was a pass game cordator. His background steeped in that Frank Smith has an offensive line background and Darryl Bevell has one of the best quarterback track record backgrounds in the entire history of the National Footballleague. So you're getting this collaborative effort from guys that have risen to the top of the profession through their achievements and all having different perspectives in terms of their area of specialized expertise. That's by Bobby Slowik take Let's go ahead and take our first break rate there.
Speaker 2: Come back on the other side.
Speaker 1: I caught up with Braxton Barrios and Jalen Phillips as they are members of the Board of Advisors for the Dolphins Cancer Challenge coming up on February twenty second. We'll talk to those guys next Draft Time podcast. Your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by automation. What's Up, Dolphins, Welcome back to another edition of Dolphins HQ. I've got a couple of special guests to be here today, the Board of Advisors for the Dolphins Cancer Challenge, Jalen Phillips.
Speaker 2: Brax and Burials.
Speaker 1: I'll go ahead and start with you, JP Man, It's been a while since I seen you and talk to you. Just how's things going, how's the rehab process going?
Speaker 3: Just how you've been man, Yeah, good to see the Travis.
Speaker 4: It's been great so far. Just taking it week by week, day by day. Feeling great though, back running on the field, just getting my strengthen. And you know, luckily I have my guy braxing here with me to give me some moral support, you know, a little competition with each other. So uh yeah, it's been great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, absolutely no, it's it's nice having having a counterpart here. We're like two weeks apart in the whole process, so it's nice because.
Speaker 3: We uh we do.
Speaker 5: We're competitive human beings and we push each other.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 1: So you guys have both been in the South Wordera community for longer than your pro careers.
Speaker 2: You both played your football, your college ball with you.
Speaker 1: My question is is how important is the South Florida community when you consider the fact that you have so much time.
Speaker 2: I'll go ahead and start with you, Brax and you can kick us off on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, coming here and well my dad's from Miami, so I grew up kind of coming here a decent amount, and then obviously being here since twenty fourteen is when I enrolled at Miami January twenty fourteen.
Speaker 3: It's you know, it's a long time.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is I tell everybody I'm from North Carolina, but this is my home now. You know, I have roots here, I have a home base here, and so you know, during this last I guess over ten years now, you know, really made so many bonds and connections and hopefully impact in the South Florida community. And it's really important for me to try to get back in any way, shape or form that I can, and obviously d c C is the perfect way to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how about you JP, because you've been on the chair for three years now and you again we're here with the University of Miami as well. So did you were you aware of DCC back in your college days and if so, how have you seen it kind of grow and evolve from that time?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I didn't find out about DCC, and so I joined the Dolphins and Matt Collins was the was the board member back then, and he and I we trained a lot in mac is you know, a psychopath on comes of training, so he was like come through the one hundred mile bike ride of me, and so I was like, all right, it sounds good, sounds like a challenge. So after doing the ride, being around DCC, seeing the incredible community support that's around it, the thousands of riders, all the people coming and just supporting, you know, it was kind of a no brainer for me to get involved with DCC in any way that I could, and they asked me to be a board member, and it was honestly a really easy decision because cancer research to me is very important because I've personally had several family members and friends affected by cancer and frankly, everybody that you know probably does know somebody. So I think it's a really important thing. And what DCC does is incredible and the biggest fundraising initiative in the NFL. We've done a lot of fundraising and reached a lot of people through through our efforts. So yeah, it's been amazing so far, and looking to continue doing this.
Speaker 1: How has the experience kind of reshaped in your the way you see it over the course of the three years of being on the board, I think that.
Speaker 3: Is just growing.
Speaker 4: Honestly, Like the first year I did it, it was a big event. Obviously a lot of hype around it. But these last two years, you can tell that whether it's the board, or whether it's other Dolphins staff or DCC stafford, just community figures are really coming together to push DCC because I think people are starting to realize how really incredible it is and how amazing an initiative it is.
Speaker 1: So obviously impacts Jalen. Impacts impacts everybody, right, this absolutely does. This is your first year being asked and they come to you and they ask you, right, So I'm curious what that moment's like and how easy.
Speaker 2: But yes it was for you.
Speaker 5: Oh it's a very easy Yes, No, it's a it's a really cool honor. Obviously I started getting involved last year, so my first year here with the Dolphins, went to a few of the events, a few of the meetings, and you know, just again learning learning about what they do, who they help, how they go about it, you know, who benefits. And again seeing the tight knit community and people from obviously all walks of life a being affected by it, but be you know, gathering around and supporting each other and supporting the initiative. And so I think that has been incredible and then when they came to me this spring and asked, it was like I said, a very easy yes, and you know, really just try to dive in and learn all all the details and the intricacies of it. And you know, it's really a cool honor being on the board and you know, helping some raise some money. But I think we're going for what fifteen million this year, that's the goal this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so's it's really cool.
Speaker 1: They've hit that goal several years in a row, where like it's pretty they do a good job of getting to what they.
Speaker 3: Do, an incredible job. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Do you guys have a chance to collaborate a lot together in terms of like being out in the community or just in general for the entire DCC. Do you collaborate together as a more individual How does that work in terms of your guys involvement together.
Speaker 4: There's been a few things that we've done together in terms of like going to the stadium, doing certain meet and greets with the heavy hitters and like different big donors and stuff. You know, DCC a lot of the initiatives is really the bike ride is the biggest one, right, so I have you know, my already giving back event that's also a fundraiser for that. Braxton was there supporting through that, And there's a couple of little small things that we do, but the majority of it is really just like community outreach and awareness, and so we're both present and doing different things at the stadium to bring awareness. But I think in general both of us are super active in the community in our own ways and really in our own focuses. Obviously, I just launched my foundation, so I'm really focusing on giving back to the arts and the youth.
Speaker 3: Uh And you know, I don't know, I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Speak for you in your scholarship, right, Yeah, that's that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's the you thanks shot out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I think we both are super heavily involved in the community in our own different facets, but we try to come together as much as we can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's like, I don't want to say that burdens the wrong word, but when you do have this platform, like it's different when Jalen Phillips or Braxonberrys walks into a room for you know, praising awareness than it is for if I walk into room and I don't have any you know, public fa you have this This almost again burns the wrong word, but it's incumbent upon you to use that platform for good.
Speaker 2: And so you guys have done a great job of doing that.
Speaker 1: Like when you when you come when it comes to like raising awareness for an event like that, what does it look like for you? You talked about like your involvement, What does it look like for you in terms of being out public facing and being you know, a big face of this huge event we have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I guess it's a couple of different things. Obviously going to any and all events that we can, whether you know, JP put them on himself, like the art of getting back both years I went to whether it's the ones at the stadiums, whether it's the one at we have coming up next week. I mean, a it's just going to all events and speaking about it. But I think more so than that, it's using that platform. And it is a burden, but like it's not a negative connotation of a burden, right, Like we have this platform and we should use it for good, you know, for for me, you know, when we got the the the Taylor Swift tickets, me and my girlfriend, we raised over one hundred grand and twenty four hours for the Hurricane Heleen victims and sent that out And so it's it's a it's a good burden, and it's a burden if you use it the right way, it goes a long way, obviously, And like I said, outside of the events that we have with the dc C, it's about using that platform that you know, he has posted on his social media a couple of times I have as well, choosing that and then also, like you know, when you're out in the community, you know, this conversation comes up a lot, what do you do outside of football or what things are you involved with? And it's being you know, a voice of the DCC from there to where you can spread awareness. Because I spent four years at the University of Miami and you know, I didn't know what the DCC was until I got here. So it's you know, it's all these like different markets that we know are untapped, and how can we go ahead and tap those and use it in the right way and get more donors and get more people participants in the event.
Speaker 1: And that's the boot on the ground situation, right, you have to be out in the community making that stuff. Happen because, like you mentioned the social impact. We know, we know you guys are both pretty popular on social media. How have you used that to kind of, you know, to facilitate awareness for this for the dcc JP, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, using social media just as a platform to spread awareness in general. I mean there's not a lot of outlets. Obviously media outlets can help us out, but other than that, I mean, social media is really the lifeline for our society unfortunately, but that's what it is, and so being able to utilize that and capitalize off that to push out positive things such as this as opposed to just you know, normal Internet whatever, gossip and stuff. So that's kind of how I try to use my Instagram. Obviously, use my platform to show my interest and obviously the football side of it, but also to push the community efforts because we have you know, one hundred thousand plus people following us, and even if a handful of people or one hundred people are able to see something and take action on that or be affected that in a way, I think it's worth it. So I think I definitely try to use that to my advantage to you know, push us forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah's definitely a beacon of light and what can otherwise be a pretty pretty dark play sometimes if you go on the wrong social media. But you mentioned the Taylor Swift tickets. Do you talk about risk? Can you talk more about that and just kind of how you've used social media to you know, influence people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's that's a perfect example.
Speaker 5: You know, we got these tickets through the Dolphins, through the team because it was that hard rock and you know, I'm I'm from North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Obviously western North Carolina.
Speaker 5: A lot of it got wiped out, and so we sat there and I was like, what if we, you know, made a fundraiser or a giveaway however you want to put it that benefits those hurricane victims. And also, you know that's called the hottest ticket in town, right the hardest ticket is the most expensive to get, I guess outside of the super Bowl. And so that you know, it came together pretty quickly and we said, all right, perfect, let's do it. And like I said, I think it was just over twenty four hours we raised over one hundred thousand dollars and then you know, we shut it off, gave the tickets away, and uh, you know, the lucky Woman actually got to got to go to the to the concert.
Speaker 3: So I it's just I mean, I think.
Speaker 5: Examples of that and what we do, Like I said again on social media for the dc C, it's like using these platforms for good and losing using your own platform for good. You know, it goes a long way, and it is a burden, but it's a good burden.
Speaker 3: Be half.
Speaker 2: That was the wrong word I used.
Speaker 5: Then you know it's a responsible responsibility obligation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they go there, we go on the right path.
Speaker 1: Now, so this whole thing runs through Sylvester Comprehensive Cancerer.
Speaker 3: I'm curious.
Speaker 1: I'll start with you JP, your relationship with them, and just how that has evolved over the time you've spent here doing this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've done a lot of work with Sylvester actually, namely a couple of years ago from my Cosmo cleats. So two of my cousins are affected with the taxis, a autoimmune disorder, and they have a special wing and a doctor there who specializes in that, and so I was able to do a feature with him to bring awareness to that. I mean, obviously partnering with DCC with Alex Place Alex place is incredible. What they do at Sylvester. People who don't know it's basically a treatment center for children that it takes the stale hospital environment so that when they're coming in to get their treatment for cancer patients, it's fun. They get to play with their friends, they get to play video games and toys and different things like that. So that's really incredible. Done a lot of work with them, toy drives, things like that, and then coming up, I'm going to do work with their music rehabilitation programmers.
Speaker 3: Music therapy program is really what it is.
Speaker 4: So that's just bringing in basically a mobile studio and different artists and people to come in and perform and play music for these cancer patients and different patients in Sylvester, which is extremely therapeutic and there's a crazy amount of research behind the frequencies and how music can heal the body. So yeah, I'm very deeply involved with Sylvester and so I love what they do and I love that DCC partners with them for this because they're incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: The experience last year with the little guy I forget his name, but the one that you brought with you to Yeah, that was so cool. A kid get a good chance to be a kids like the most important thing in the entire world, especially when it comes to this stuff.
Speaker 2: So that's that's really special. I apologize for.
Speaker 1: Repeating the question, but same question to you about Sylvester in your relationship there.
Speaker 3: You know, obviously it's it's it's growing.
Speaker 5: You know, we would do a lot of visits in college, right, like we do a lot of children's hospitals, a lot of hospital visits in college to again, like you guys said, like, let kids be kids. I don't think many people can imagine what it's like for them to spend you know, their early years or months.
Speaker 3: At a time in a hospital like that.
Speaker 5: So so that's obviously grown. And as I've gotten to know the rest of the board of the DCC, all those relationships have grown. And I think it's important to note that every single dime that we raise right goes directly to Sylvester, so benefits directly all those people, all those kids in cancer research. And so it's been really cool getting to know them and getting to understand their initiatives and again tagging along to everything that I can that I'm able to be at because it goes a long way.
Speaker 1: So I JP mentioned it earlier about the impact you know, cancer has had on him and his family, but he knows. Can we hear your story as well, about the impact canswers had.
Speaker 2: On you and your family?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I've had I've had a lot, sadly, I my my uncle died from a brain tumor two and a half years ago. I've had multiple people with breast cancer mom and aunt. My cousin died at two and a half pulmonary bank stenosis. So you know, and the list can go on and on and on. And you know, again, everybody is touched one way or another by it. And you know, unfortunately some of those people have passed away and others have have fought through it.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think it's a it's a horrible reality that we all face.
Speaker 5: And you know, everybody says you don't have any problems in this world, or you have nine nine problems in this world, and so you have a health problem, then you have one problem.
Speaker 3: And I think it's very true.
Speaker 5: And you know, as much as we can get ahead of that, I think is the goal here, because you know, being being proactive instead of reactive is obviously the best thing to do as far as you know, cancer research and everything else goes, you know, find a cure before cure is needed. And I think this goes a really, really long way, and that's why I think we're both so passionate about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm very sorry for your losses off the top there, but you guys are doing so much to combat you know, all the stuff you just talked about.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and end with this.
Speaker 1: How can the folks get involved with your individual portions and help, you know, support this cause?
Speaker 3: Go with you JP?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we both have links on our Instagram pages and that we'll be putting out obviously leading up to the race, but you can sign up, you can donate and come out to support. It's going to be an amazing time. February twenty seconds. That's next Saturday, I believe. And yeah, I'll be riding the thirteen mile this year. Unfortunately because of the knee, I can't do the hundred, but I'll be back eventually doing the hundred and thirteen still something, So we're right, itt.
Speaker 2: Something pretty much close the show. But do you have anything else you want to.
Speaker 3: Know that's beat it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter who you give to or how you give, as long as you give. And again, if you want to be a participant, please there's a five K. You know, any support is obviously welcome. Then appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 1: And if you have kids, if offstocles you think we're going to prevent you from getting out there, put them in a stroller, get in the five K, get involved however you can.
Speaker 2: It's a big, big deal here.
Speaker 1: Jalen Phillips, Braxon Burials both Board of Advisors members.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you guys of time today.
Speaker 1: It was great having you here on Dolphins HQ and the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Away those guys go fun chat.
Speaker 1: Always good to catch up with both Jealen and Braxton as they are obviously both really good dudes. Okay, let's go ahead and take our last break right there, come back on the other side. I'm going to close the show with it's a bit of a monologue. A you produce the show portion of the podcast here. That's next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation. All right, so I have really tinkered with the idea for this segment the former scanning the social now we're calling it you produce the show where I basically allow Twitter or well it's x or you know, blue Sky or Facebook or Instagram, whatever the social media platform might be, to dictate what we talk about on the show. And I want to first get this disclaimer in off the top, because I'm going off of a tweet from Barry Jackson, who to me is by far the best reporter South Florida has. I think that his hustle, his grind, his mentality, the way he asked questions, the way he formulates them, the information he gives absence of real opinion, you know, conjecture. I think that everything Barry does is done the right way. But he had this tweet about all the needs the Dolphins have and how oh it's you know, it's like this insurmountable offseason ahead of them, and I just don't see it that way. And I think that a big reason why there's this disconnect with that opinion compared to what I believe to be reality is that I think when you are ingrained in local football discourse and don't have the national perspective or a wider perspective, I think it becomes a non sequitur because most people that you know this refers to are only watching Dolphins games, and then like most of the primetime games, which can be a bad indicator of how you know, sixteen games throughout the course of a week are played and what it looks like in the NFL because you're watching the Dolphins, and then what three primetime games on top of that, like, you're missing twelve of the games across the league. So the control that things are often measured against for the twenty twenty five Miami Dolphins are past Dolphins teams, and that produces to me a poorly replicated version of a take, one that's not based on current league trends, but rather the history of a singular organization from a pool of thirty two teams. I think that's a flawed approach to doing things. And I keep seeing the take that Miami has these insurmountable needs they're not going to be able to cover. Okay, well, what does it look like across the rest of the league. There are fourteen teams right now that have less players on their roster than the Miami Dolphins do. Because that's how the NFL works right now, void years on contracts. We're not a thing. You know, I don't know how long ago, but five six years ago, and I saw the great, you know, the great Chris Coffin had a tweet about Howie Roseman and his trend of pushing debt down the line to increase their budget, like, there's ways to manipulate the cap and the cash flow. And when you say they have all these needs, my question is relative to what, Because to me, the needs come on the interior offensive line, off ball linebacker, tight end, and safety, which is literally the four cheapest positions in the NFL, sands the running back position. So let's remove emotion and just look at the raw data. And what the raw data tells me is the median cost for a starting guard is four point nine million dollars, or for a tight end eight point six million, a safety six point six. Your off ball linebacker two is three and a half million. If I need a quarterback, the median salary for the free agent market is thirty four million dollars. A receiver's twenty one million dollars. Number two receivers seven million dollars, attackles sixteen and a half million dollars. An edge is fifteen point seven million dollars, and those are probably a little bit off when you factor in, for instance, all the receivers that around rookie deals right now that bring that median down because you and I well know, if you're going to go sign a wide receiver two, and let's call that Chris Godwin, I guess if you are a team that has already a receiver one, you're not gonna get him for seven million bucks. It's going to be more like fifteen million bucks. So when I go into the off season with the same number of roster holes or different variations of roster holes as pretty much every other team besides the top five or six clubs in the NFL, would I rather have a need of four players that constitutes you know, twelve plus six is twenty one million dollars or a receiver in a cornerback where I now need thirty one million dollars to round out those two needs. So two needs can be substantially more than four needs, especially when you factor in those premium spots are what everyone is trying to find the next cheap contract on through the draft. They're trying to find the next you know, budget hit and free agency. Like that's why listing out eight positions of empty spots that you have right now and doom and glooming the salary cap as a result of that is just misguided because relatively speaking, these are positions that you're gonna have cracks at the top players in the draft in the first or the third round because of how they traditionally have slipped. And we'll see if Miami Bucks they're trying to going premium, you know, all the way through the first couple of rounds over the last five six years before that, it wasn't like that, but it's it's worth, you know, considering the recent trends of this Dolphins club, and you could get your pickings there. You can get your pickings in free agency because it's going to be cheaper to go after those positions, especially if you're on wave two of those positions. Because if you're in Wave two of guard and you're not in the market for a Will Freeze, who's probably the best one out there in terms of you know, trying to cost control and fit your system, that's like twelve million bucks for him, but for Will Hernandez it might be like three million dollars per year. So if you're in the second wave of that market for those positions and you draft those positions like, you're almost at an advantage because of the field you're playing against and the needs they have for other positions. So when you talk about you know, all the needs and how this roster shakes up to historical data for the Miami Dolphins, that's not the right relativity comparing it to other positions, to other teams across the league. That's the relative that I'm looking at here, And I get it. When the playoff success has been nil for a quarter century, doom and gloom will sell and that's where the fan base his head is at. I totally get it. We are frustrated. I am too, no doubt about that. But you're always like one off season away, say for like five teams right like the Saints are going to be bad next year, the Raiders, the Titans, the Patriots. These are teams that have severe talent deficiencies across their roster and at major positions that are more than one off season away.
Speaker 2: That's not what Miami. That's not the boat Miami is in right now.
Speaker 1: Is that to say they're going to be successful automatically no, and the next order of operations is, well, it's the same guy that has been here for the drought, that's task with doing all this fair to an extent, you can certainly pinpoint two thousand and one through twenty fifteen as stuff that you can't say was on him, and I would actually bring it up to twenty twenty when he really kicked into full control. But we've also had the best teams we've had since that two thousand and two team. We've had a lot of bad luck, but the rosters have been good, and I think it's time that we you know, they veered off course a little bit, got a little bit too aggressive in the approach of veteran acquisitions. It's gonna be back to the draft, back to development. Let's just see how that goes. Let's see how they judiciously spend their couch cushion money. They're gonna have to find at the consignment shop. You can find gems at different levels of free agency, and then the draft, and then just enjoy the football season and see what happens next. Doesn't that sound like a lot better than four tweets a day about Tua Tongua Biloa and Chris career and how much you want to replace those guys. That's how I see it. So there you go. I wanted to get that point out there. Let's go ahead and close the podcast out right here. We'll be back on Monday, I think is the plan with either the edges or the corners. I'm not sure exactly where I'm gonna go just yet, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime, you all please be sure subscribe, rate, review the show, follow me on social. You can check out the fish Tank Podcast with Oj and Seth the Great Deon Jordan episodes out right now. Check out Dolphins HQ on the YouTube channel as will as media availabilities that Braxton Jillian review are gonna be on this week's episode of Dolphins HQ and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com until next time.
Speaker 2: Fins up, Carolin and Cameron Daddy just come on
Speaker 4: H