Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Today is Tuesday, November fifth. Today we heard from head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see everybody here.
Speaker 3: As we said, we are hurtling towards Thursday night at a break neck pace, getting ready to play the game.
Speaker 2: And what questions you have, John, uh, that you.
Speaker 4: Guys treated for Maybe it's white any game as a lot of.
Speaker 2: Well, just off the practice field.
Speaker 3: I think the trading deadlines at four, I'll probably just wait and see, make make sure everything's up, and talk to Eric first before I would comment on that.
Speaker 2: So we'll see John. That's all you guys care about right now. I also did not see the more practice anything he talks about.
Speaker 3: That not really nothing I really want to talk about in comment on he'll be playing Thursday night. That's probably the main thing right that you're asking, Yeah, he will be playing Thursday night.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm sure it's always unique game plan employed division opponents, but when you're doing it on the short week like this second time you're playing them this year, is does it feel any different when you're preparing for this type of game.
Speaker 3: It definitely feels different on a short week for any opponent. I like the fact that you know, you play a team that you have a little more familiarity with, But that's a two edge sword too, because they have they have a lot of familiarity with us. So every every game is different, you know, every game is unique. Is kind of take it as it comes, attack the circumstances as they present themselves, and that's what we'll try to do and do our best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, John Lamar.
Speaker 4: Talk about wanting to score a lot of points. I mean, that's the goal obviously all the time. And the same could be said for your offense. But when you do face a team like Cincinnati, do you feel offensively for yourself you need to be more aggressive when you can get into and he's kind of shootout situation.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of that has to do with how the game's going once we get into the game. We'll we'll we look at it certain ways going into the game right now, but we'll see how the game's going. You never know how it's going to play out, you know. So I'm I'm excited for all three phases of our of our team to play play their best, play their hardest, and uh and just see where it goes as the game goes on.
Speaker 7: John, I know your internal conversations are the most important. But Marlin was all about yesterday that it feels that Zach taking some heat for player mistakes. You know, what is the mean to see Holy Gardner team talk like that and take some accountability And do you feel like things are going the right way based off last week to fix the second area?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's a process through the whole season to get better at everything. You know, there seems to be an expectation that you're going to be perfect at everything, every every aspect of your game, from the first game to the last game to the end, and that seems to be the requirement, you know, and it's just not reality. It's not reality in anything. We have a growth mindset. We don't have a fixed mindset. We understand that we can't get better, you know, we and we work hard to get better every single day and every single thing we do. And I know Marlin speaking to that. Our guys are great about that, coaches are great about that. So you face challenges, you face circumstances, and you meet them as you find them. You meet them where they're at, where you meet your circumstances where they're at.
Speaker 2: That's what I was looking for.
Speaker 3: Meet your circumstances where they're at. I think that's pretty good, you know. So that's what you continue to do and you continue to try to grow, whether it's football or life or whatever. So that's what we're trying to do as a team, and I'm very confident our guys doing that.
Speaker 8: Speaking of leaders or kwand Smith is a guy and you know, probably one of the biggest leaders in the team, as you talked about, and you know, a guy that must not perform his very high standard is the first one to say that. What are the conversations that he's had that you guys have had throughout the course of the season to try to elevate you to do that?
Speaker 2: Well, we've had a lot of conversations.
Speaker 3: I mean we talk all the time every day when and you know, and we talk about plays specifically, we talk about I'm talking about plays in practice, we talk about in the meeting room, we talk about, you know, how we're handling coverage or a rush, or how we're handling a play. Those are those are all the little detailed conversations that you have all the time because it's a complicated game. A lot of stuff happens, uh, you know, all around the league. I mean it's challenging. You're if you're facing great plays and great players and you're talking about it all the time. You also have some big picture of conversations too, you know about how can we get better? What do we need to do, what are we missing? What what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Well? Uh, was your leaders?
Speaker 3: You have those conversations. You sell meeting out there with the leaders. Just now we're talking about scheduling thing for the next couple of days. So those are those are the type of conversations you have.
Speaker 5: John, I'm sure you don't want to have some of the issues that the defense has had to this point of this season. But when you have the turnover, especially you go to zach or in this first year, as a play called it because it was a learning curve kind of expected to a degree.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we're all expected to have a learning curve, you know, and everybody's you know, where they're at and what what what happens in your life and you try to learn and grow and become the best you can be. I mean, so that's what we're doing. We're together as a team. I got a talented team, you know. I mean, we have a talented group of people who've got talented coaches who work really hard. We have talented players who work really hard. That's what makes me happy. I'm I'm full of joy every single day. Walker in this building now, still determined, you know, still, you know it's a little pride always, I say, a little pride's a lot of pride, you know, and doing things the right way and working hard and trying to do everything you can do to to prove who you are, you know, and that's what our guys do.
Speaker 9: Jya some some uncertainty right now over to Higgins availability for doing that. And I respects, you know, all the receivers on that team. But if he is healthy, if he is you know, full go just how much more difficult does does he make that ass conference.
Speaker 2: For Joe grow Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know the exact number, but it's it's definitely a factor.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: They've got some other guys too. I mean this this young number eighty's doing a nice job too. But he got eighty one. You know, he'll be he'll be ready. I guess he'll be out there. So he's fast you know, but T Higgins, he's one of the top receivers in football.
Speaker 4: John breaking out the performance an the initial impression of how they love him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like them. I think they look good. What do you think I think?
Speaker 10: Actually I thought a little better out there than the initial photos.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody's a critic, aren't they. You know, I did, I did, I did. You're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: Asked your opinion. I asked your opinion. You're right, you're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: Appuche.
Speaker 1: We also had a special guest today as Ravens legend Brandon Williams is back in the building. He officially retired as a Baltimore raven. He played ten years in the NFL, the first nine of them here with the Baltimore Ravens was a third round draft pick who turned out to be one of the great players along this defensive front throughout his career. He was excited to be back here in Baltimore. It was a touching moment for him to officially call it a career. And here's what he had to say during that retirement announcement.
Speaker 6: Wow feels uh feels surreal being back on the on the podium a you know, being back in Baltimore. You know, I haven't been back since when I left, and you know, coming back here is definitely bringing a lot of memories, a lot of uh, a lot of memories, a lot of great times, a lot of just wars we've had on the field, the wars we had, my teammates, I'm seeing, just the people I've been around. It's it's been a wonderful, wonderful time, and you know, I'm just happy and proud to be retiring a raven.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, Brandon, why why did you wanna come back here to kind of put a period on it?
Speaker 6: Uh, That's where I started, you know in the Bible, you know, Elijah was fed by the Ravens. Then he was told to, you know, go off somewhere else he had something better for him. And then I just wanted to come back and bring it full circle. You know, that's where I started this work. You know, gave me my you know, my livelihood, you know, everything I've you know wanted, you know, Coach c b you know, teaching me everything lost with me into the player I became. And I just wanted to come back here and just be in Baltimore. For the rest of my life.
Speaker 7: Did you ever think, I knew you always accomplished yourself, but to go from where you you were from college having that long with an NFL career, I mean, did you ever imagine something with that?
Speaker 6: No, I've I've always dreamed of it. I've always wished and prayed for it, but uh, just to actually have it happen and be here now retiring, it seems like it went so quick. But I mean, I'm thankful, I'm blessed definitely, Brandon.
Speaker 4: When people see that picture right there and they think of you in a rat in uniform, what do you hope that people take away and what is the one thing.
Speaker 7: That you know that they were remember about you?
Speaker 6: That he was authentic? You know, he he gave it at all. You know, he was always real when he came out. He he was just who he was. He wasn't playing a show. He was just going out there playing his game and being who he was.
Speaker 10: Randon, you got here at a time where they you know, there's a lot of defensive veterans over that, you know, future Pro Bowlers, Hall of famers, all of that. How much did that shape you as a player, what you learned when you were a young player here around all that defensive talent.
Speaker 6: Uh, it shaped me a lot, having Hellodi, Chris Kanty, Marcus Spears, you know, Arthur Jones, even you know, Terrence Cody. Just having those guys around me, seeing how they were being the pros, seeing how they took care of their body, how they took care of the health and all that stuff like that. It was just amazing just to add to the repertoire, add to you know, my chest, and you know, be able to kind of just give that back and just be exactly who I became to be.
Speaker 5: Right And I know you've got a lot of memories here in Baltimore, on and off the field. Is is there anything that stick out to you as kind of that sums up your time as a raider?
Speaker 2: I guess the locker room dance.
Speaker 6: Uh, the locker room dance. I mean, it was one of the dog days of training camp, Siss. We were about to go out, and I'm just like kind of lolling around a little bit, like, man, dude, it was hot outside. I don't want to go out. But then Sis started playing music and I just started getting into my groove, feeling myself and then Chris Kenny had the camera and then they happened. So I think that was the biggest time right there. That just kind of explains everything. Also another time was the guy you got you carrying the ball for you now, Derick Henry. You know, when you know, I've always pride myself on stopping the run. I've always prided myself on making sure you don't get those fourth and shorts and all that stuff like that, and seeing him carry the ball with the forest now is amazing. But the one time when I, you know, got after him in the backfield, that was a great moment because I've always prided myself on taking down the best running backs. He's one the best.
Speaker 3: Did you get in a golf card and crash into the tackling gum one one last time?
Speaker 8: For no?
Speaker 6: But if it's out here, though, I'm gonna get it done. So you gotta see the shot.
Speaker 2: He can give me the keys.
Speaker 4: So much of your life an identity does get wrapped up into football. Just what has this transition been like of putting that behind you and and what is next for you? What have you been up to the last couple of years.
Speaker 6: It's definitely been definitely been in a kind of like a limbo period period time, just mostly giving that time back to my kids, giving that time back to my family, just trying to get back with them, just let them know Dad's here. Just I'm here, you know, going to games, going to you know, practices, going to you know, horse question in therapy and all that stuff. My oldest son hat special needs. So it's just being there for them and giving them all of me instead of just you know, giving all to the game.
Speaker 7: Brandon, Are you're leaving a game with any regrets that you she could have done differently?
Speaker 6: No, I mean it's been great to stay here, win the championship my guys. But other than that, I don't regret anything I've been through. I don't think great anything I've done. I appreciate every moment that I've you know, had here. It's been truly amazing career.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Raves Press Pass podcast. The Raves will take the field on Thursday night against the Cincinnati Bengals Star Purple Rising game at M and T Banks Citi and make sure you are there in the house getting your seats early. Purple Rises at eight o'clock. Thank you so much. For listening. We'll be back with you on Thursday.