Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to it could happen here. And what it is today is me James and Mia Wong. Hi mere, hello, Hi. What we're here to talk to you about today is something else, which, despite my positive tone of voice, is sad and depressing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a lot of that, and like we don't want you to be too sad. It doesn't bear moping around, you know, like we've got time to get organized and that's what we should be doing.
Speaker 3: And also like just get.
Speaker 2: Out and go outside and see your friends and do things that bring you joy. Like we'll work out how to get through it. So you know, like, yeah, I think it's really easy. And I found myself doing this stay at home and be sad, but don't Like I went out with some friends for a hike on Friday, and I feel so much better. So I would advise you to do that. Maybe you're listening on your hike. That would be fun. Actually, I think if I was hiking, I would I would skip this one and listen to the birds.
Speaker 3: And you know, well, I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, if you want the ideological framing event, the ideological framing of it is that morale is a terade a struggle, yes, and it is very easy to lose if in morale is absolutely terrible.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we got four years.
Speaker 2: We can't be being moping around like we will get through it.
Speaker 3: We will find ways to make it better.
Speaker 2: And part of the way we do that yet is keeping amoral up and doing things that bring us joy. Thing that brings me joy is talking about roch Java, the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria, and we're going to talk about that today. So we're talking about Donald Trump's foreign policy in his second term. So his previous foreign policy was a pretty mixed bag, and he bombed the shift out of the Islamic State, right cool based he also bombed the shit out of thousands of Syrian and Iraqi civilians.
Speaker 3: Not so cool.
Speaker 2: Also, we should note, not so different from every other president this century. Bombing civilians has been pretty much the the through line of American foreign policy in that part of the world for a very long time. In particular in the Trump administration I'm want to talk about, there was a single US strike cell called Talent Anvil. I think they were mainly like CAG guys from what I read, so Delta Force guys Army Special Forces guys who were making these decisions. They hired office building in Syria, and these guys were constantly looking at drone feeds and various other information and then calling in strikes on various targets. Right, I'm not sure if they had the CAG guys in the watching computers. I'm not entirely sure, and like, well they didn't have someone else who knows, But this strike, Celle dropped more than one hundred and twenty thousand bombs and Jesus Christ, yeah, yeah, the amount of ordinance we dropped on Syria is insane. Its circumvented procedures are in place to prevent Philian death. In order to do so, they had embedded lawyers who were supposed to approve the strikes. But these lawyers tried to raise the alarm that some of these strikes were reckless. They weren't hitting things that were actual targets, and they sort of ran into an organizational brick wall. At some point, pilots even refused to engage targets because they didn't think of Jesus, Yeah, which is it's not usual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that'd be pretty fucked for a fighter pilot to be like, no, I don't think I've ever heard of that before.
Speaker 2: No, So I found this out in uh well, I think it was the New York Times. New York Times, a pretty good investigation which we linked in our sources. And yeah, it's like a throwaway line, but I would love to hear more about that. It could have been a drone pilot too, which is slightly different. Gig, I guess you know, if you're sitting north of Las Vegas, they're flying a drone kind of kind of a different scene. So in the battle to defeat the Islamic State, thousands of innutescent people lost their lives as we reached the end of that battle. Donald Trump, who's president at a time, personally called urda one who's the president of circuit right. In late twenty eighteen, Trump asked the third one, if we withdraw our soldiers, can you.
Speaker 3: Clean up isis? That's a quote?
Speaker 2: According to an unnamed Turkish official interviewed by Reuters, at one replied that Turkish forces were capable of a mission. Quote, then you do it, Trump told him and us as National Security Advisor John Bolton, who was also on the call to quote start work for withdrawal of US troops from Syria. What this resulted in was US troops pulling out from some locations in Syria, right, local people throw tomatoes at them. Even worse than the tomatoes were the fact that it gave NATO's second largest army, which is Turkey, of course, free reign to attack the Autonomous Administration North in Essyria, which it did in twenty eighteen it did again at twenty nineteen. Those two operations to claim considerable ground in Syria cost countless civilian lives. Continue to perpetrate human rights abuses to rehabilitate people from ISIS and other Jahadi groups as Turkish Free Syrian Army, and they kill some people who were people I care about, and I continue to care about the cause of Rajava or Autonomous Administration in North New Syria very deeply, and and it really fucking sucks to think about the potential of the US abandoning those people again, not that Biden has done very much. Yeah, now, I think this anecdote, right of what Trump does with one tells us a lot about his approach to foreign policy, which is he really sees it as very transactional, which is no different from everything else he does. I guess like he's a very transactional person, and he seems really only to be concerned about what he can get out of it. So like in this case, I guess he wants to say he bought US troops home from Syria, like he's anti war. This is one of his things, he says now, right, but he's prepared to also in the case of the bombing, Right, he's not so concerned with civilian casualties as long as he can claim that he was the one who defeated ISIS. Right, abomber couldn't do it. He did it, and he did it on a pile of civilian remains, and also using chiefly the Syrian Democratic.
Speaker 3: Forces, right, not US forces. There were US forces on the ground.
Speaker 2: They were engaged in combat, but in minuscule numbers compared to SDF, who lost fifteen thousand of their children in a battle against ISIS. I think Trump would be very willing to admit that he's transactional, right, That's kind of his brand, is like America first and fuck everyone else. So I think he'll probably be similar in this term. Right, he will act unilaterally, He'll pivot whenever the fuck, he feels like it. He will continue with his affection for strong men and dictators all around the world. But a lot of stuff has changed since Trump's first term, and I think it's illustrative for us to think about how he will engage with things that have changed.
Speaker 3: So what has changed.
Speaker 2: There's a much larger conflict between Russia and Ukraine now, and that conflict has been seen massive and overt support both from the USA and for the rest of NATO. There's been a revolution in Mema. I suppose he doesn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really doubt maybe some of the like weird pro coup meaning from the right guard to him, Yeah, perhaps.
Speaker 2: Or like, I mean, the parallels between the CO and Memma and January sixth are pretty obvious, right, Okay, Like give January sixth to the landing. It lived a lot like that, except that it was a military party not just a political party. The Islamic State doesn't exist as a territory identity, but it very much does exist as a terrorist group, which continues to and has actually increased its activity this month, with sleeper cells, continued suicide bombings, continued attacks, and the SDF continue with their anti Issis operations without US support, those would be harder. And so we have to ask, I guess on what Trump's going to do with these things? And I want to look at a few different issues and pick apart what Trump said on his campaign website, pick apart what he said on the campaign trail, and then look at who he's appointed so far. We're recording this on Tuesday the twelfth, So if someone gets appointed before you hear this, that's why we've missed them out. So I guess to start with Trump's foreign policy, we should talk about his number one like peer competitor, which is China in his eyes, right, not a big China appreciator. So I looked at his campaign website for this, which really has some just incredible use of capital letters.
Speaker 3: He just fucking does what he wants. It's wild to see.
Speaker 2: So chiefly, one of the things that he's been on about for a while now is tariffs on Chinese make goods. Right, as means the foreign policy, Yeah, we just we talked about this last episode. Yeah, you will have heard about tariffs at this point. Yeah, So, as we've previously mentioned, right, he's talked about the tariffs. These tariffsould cost a lot of money, and they would increase the cost of you going shopping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they would probably destroy vast whilst of the global economy, yes, both the Chinese and the American economy, Yes, yes, sort of implode.
Speaker 2: And then all these countries in Africa and you know, me and La for instance, exports a lot of these rare earth metals to China, right, and a lot of countries in Africa do too. Aside from the economic sort of aggression, it stands on, Taiwan is weird, which is normally where we would like expect to see the most like physical friction between US and China. Right. Mike Pompeo has pressed for the USA to formally recognize Taiwan before, which would be a step, but you know that there'd be a pretty big swing. Trump, on the other hand, seems to want Taiwan to pay the United States for being into ally right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then this is like one of his big sort of foreign policy principles is like try to get people to pay him for stuff, because that's sort of the only way his brain works. But Rember, this was NATO a lot, whereas this whole line on NATO that like NATO should be like paying us because people like you're not spaying enough on defense, so we're like paying all the defense budgets. This is like one of his kind.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, it's been his like hobbyhole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like floats around at his brain sort of colliding with its walls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, empty space. Yeah. Yeah, like a big bung ball.
Speaker 2: Ironically, like in the time that Trump's been out of of is Russian aggression has led native members to spend more on defense, yeah, rather than Donald Trump lambasting them. So one of his big things is that Taiwan should pay the United States. But it would seem very unlikely that he if he's not going to abandon Taiwan, I think because it gives him a place to grandstand on China.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and also, like you know, I mean, one of the things about Trump is that one of the best ways to sort of influence him is just get a world leader in a room with him alone. Yes, but unfortunately, well fortunately for us, Trump does not speak Chines easy, and she doesn't seem to like him very much.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yes, we won't be here. We won't be joining the PRC anytime soon. China, along with Russia right to countries we've spoken about. Most of both make big plays in Africa. Russia has re branded what was Wagner it's Africa Core, and they're sort of providing support to regimes that lack en afflegitimacy to exist otherwise. Yeah, they are like classic mercenary shit, like it's your state illegitimate and does it lack the capacity to do the violence it needs to maintain itself. Don't worry hereris herism psychopaths from Russia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And there's just a lot of people, I think because like a lot of these sort of governments will kind of like do their like like put a red beret on and start doing their anti imperialist cosplay. And then you like read the like the fine print of the contracts they've signed with like Africa Core, a thing that like you expect to be spelled like Africa and Core with a K like ko rps like and it's like, oh, okay, so like they've signed away a bunch of the country's mineral rights, Like they've signed away a bunch of these specific minds to these mercenary groups. It's like, oh okay, so this is like also this is also just imperial it's just new management.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, it's just different imperialism. And then China has big plays in Africa too, right, Like I've personally seen a lot of Chinese own minds in Africa, Chinese roads in Africa. China does also like offer infrastructure. Chinese has a kind of quid pro quo. It doesn't come in like with the violence like Russia does. It comes in with that will build your hospital if we can have all your natural resources. US policy in Africa is pretty much to stop those two countries getting too much influence. The Biden administration is as many liberals are right, there's actually not that much difference between what Biden and Trump will do in Africa. The difference is Biden is smart enough not to say it. Trump's ability to do anything useful in Africa is going to be masked by his massive racism, Like when he says things like shithole countries. It becomes a lot harder for the US to do anything in Africa that isn't tinged by that, right, Like, it doesn't make that sort of imperialist ambition more obvious. US politicians rarely talk about they were any campaign or what they were going to do in Africa. And so pretty much the only things we're going to hear from Donald Trump, but Africa, I would imagine, are going to be when he lets his racism out. Yeah, that will have results for like US credibility. Also, my guess is we see intensifications of sort of US drone strikes, particularly in the Horn, and we see like like all of the stuff that Biden is doing, but worse and killing even more people somehow. Yeah, I would imagine that we will see these more aggressive throne strikes, especially against like Islamist groups in Africa. The US has special Forces deployments in a few places in Africa, which will probably maintain I would imagine, like, I don't think those are like things that Trump would He wouldn't see any benefit from stopping them, I guess, and it.
Speaker 3: May not even know about them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think we will see little change in Africa, would be my guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my oldly worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I talk of mildly worse.
Speaker 4: Mire.
Speaker 2: The thing that makes these podcasts mildly worse is our obligation to pivot to advertisements, which we must do now.
Speaker 3: That was a great one, holding out on you for three years. You have a good ad pivots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there it is. That's what we've got for you. All Right, we're back. So I want to talk about Europe. As you've heard in the Tariff's episode, right, he wants to put tariffs on European goods. European Union is going to slap tariffs right back on American goods. That doesn't really help anyone. It will make exporting from the USA very very hard. One thing that the USA might stop exporting is is weapons to Ukraine. It's a little unclear. Trump he called Olenski the greatest salesman on earth, but it was also claimed that he can personally end the war in twenty four hours. I don't think that means that he will be deploying himself to the down Bass like a like a like a gun dam. But he claims he can do this with his negotiating skills. This seems unlikely. To put it mildly, I don't think that it would be possible to end this war in twenty four hours if both sides declared peace right now, getting communications to their frontline troops would be a challenge in twenty four hours in some places. Yeah, So the way I interpret this and I may be wrong here is that he is likely to leverage the support that the United States gives to Ukraine in order to force Zelensky into an unfavorable settlement, which would achieve his goal of a being able to say he stopped giving American money to Ukraine, which has been a big talking point for the like every time you start with the western North Carolina right up to the hurricane or these Republicans sort of talking points were like, oh, well, all the money is in Ukraine, so we can't have fucking MREs for people in western North Carolina, Like FEMA has no money because we sent Ukraine some memphors. This is very silly, right, It's not a zero sum game. It's not really a reasonable critique, but it's one that Trump has kind of managed to stick in the culture was his base seems to see the money going to Ukraine is directly coming from things that would otherwise be going to them, which he would benefit from it if he could bring this war to a close, right j d Vance has mentioned a demilitarized zone in between Russia.
Speaker 3: And Ukraine, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna minister the DMZ, Like yeah, like did we really want this? Are we going to have troops out like we do in South Korea for you know when when was a career around the nineteen fifty seventy years, right, And I don't think that's really really what they want.
Speaker 3: The think what DMC is. No one actually likes them. No, this sucks, It sucks. Yeah, they're awful.
Speaker 2: It's just a bit of land that you can yeat weapons over each other, like especially in like modern warfare, that they're not that effective at stopping to be bull fighting. Right, But very funny that North's career will be two for two on DMZs in wars it has been involved with huge up for them. He essentially seems to be advocating for exactly the peace settlement that Putin has proposed and that has been rejected multiple times. Several sources I've seen suggest that Trump has spoken to Putin quite a few times since leaving office. This His plan for Ukraine certainly seems closer to the Russian one than the Ukrainian one, the Ukrainian one being stop invading us and go home, and the Russian one being, well, we'll just keep all the stuff we've taken so far and then add a buffer zone in between. And Ukraine can keep whatever's left of its country.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What's interesting to me is what other NATO members will do in the event of the US reducing its AID. I would suspect that they will try and step up and meet that gap. It might also result in the US put certain restrictions on its AID, right, how it can be used, where it can be used crucially, Right, they don't like Ukraine using things to attack in Russia proper. They don't mind am using them to attack Russian forces, but not within Russia. I did see a picture yesterday of a I think it was three guys from Rogue I think it's called, which is a unit within the International Legion who had been killed within Russia. And they had a lot of like eighty fours and things like that, right, like US or anti tank weapons.
Speaker 3: But the United States.
Speaker 2: Doesn't want Ukraine using the long range artillery and stuff it's given it to yeat projectiles at Moscow. I can see a situation where if the US draws down some bit AID, European allies of Ukraine might not play some of those restrictions on their AID, and that could lead to some interesting complications for Russia. Right If Ukraine is more effective, Like if they get more aid from Europe and Europe doesn't place restrictions on the aid, they could potentially strike Russia within Russia, which is not going to be good for Putin and it's probably not going to be good for like bringing I mean, unless they can deal some really crippling blows, it might not be good for bringing the war to an end.
Speaker 3: But maybe it will.
Speaker 2: Maybe they've they've done some pretty effective things with not a huge amount so far.
Speaker 4: I don't know, maybe get lucky on a strike on the Kremlin or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, just the one like I mean, yeah, I'm sure that would be their strategy if they wouldn't have they didn't have restrictions, would be to just keep pounding places they think Putin might be.
Speaker 4: This is the history of Russian warfare. Dumber things that have happened and have lost Russia wars. So yeah, yeah, a lot dumber than that. So yeah, I don't think that Ukraine will be screwed if the US pulls out. I do think it will be a lot harder for them. Yeah, And you know, if that's something, there are a lot of US sits still fighting in Ukraine. Would be pretty devastating to abandon Ukraine. And I think also just from the sort of stopping Russian aggression standpoint, it's much better stop it here than somewhere else. But yeah, we will see.
Speaker 2: I guess European countries are really ramping up their defense, but they right now the US is like the heart of the military industrial complex, and and Europe really can't keep up with the US production. Of course, the US being the heart of the military industrial complex does mean that a lot of Trump donors will probably be able to leave ridge of their donations to his campaign, and so we might not see as much of a drawdown of Bay to Ukraine as we're worrying about here. May talking of launching things from a long distance at a very small target, I would like to launch these advertisements from iheartman the advertising department directly to your ears.
Speaker 3: Heger. It's all so bad.
Speaker 4: As we were recording this, it's come out that the new Secretary of Defense is going to be Pete Hegseth, who's like a Fox News guy who doesn't believe germs are real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy who has not washed his hands in ten years. Great, I mean, at least he might die of COVID. Yeah, I was going to say he made it. Wow.
Speaker 3: Sorry that that that hair is really something. Oh that's not good at all. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wait what when June fourteenth, twenty fifteen, hag Seith accidentally hit a Westward juror.
Speaker 3: With an act over a live cube Like, dad, I think it was incredible.
Speaker 2: Let's have that length pulled up. All right, this video is unavailable. All right, No, we're finding this video that nothing disappears from the internet.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go.
Speaker 5: No mis fucking dog my god, this is just clown shit, Like.
Speaker 3: I need to write.
Speaker 2: Listen, if you were hit in the dick and balls by an axe thrown by Future Defense Secretary, please contact cool Zone Media Atiheartmedia dot com. I hope the VA is paying for this man's benefits.
Speaker 4: It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do, like in the course of reporting for this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's amazing, like very funny. Again, please contact us. I hope you're okay. Service related injury. Yeah, so that's that's peak. Hegseth right. Future sec Deef, also former reservist who deployed to Guantanamo, was an induantry platoon leader at Guantanamo. I think he also deployed to Afghanistan in twenty twelve, and previously he'd also deployed to Iraq. He'd a voluntary two voluntary deployments or was in two locations in IRAQII. So he's hit the greatest hits of US foreign policy in the last twenty years. I guess he's made his career as a Fox News pandit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just like a right wing ghoul. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean in the last Trump administration when he was punditing, he advised Trump had been considering pardoning several war criminals and did pardon several war criminals, right, and Hexceth was one of the people who A he talked about on Fox News, Well he was advising Trump to do it, and b he was advising Trump to do its. Christ Yeah, you can read up about the Trump pardons of war criminals.
Speaker 4: It's bad enough that a guy was getting turned in by his own Special Forces unit. Like do you know how bad, how like fucking hideous? The shit you have to do is for like for like your own guys in a special Forces unit to be like, holy shit, we have to stop this guy. Yeah, Like it's awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean if you should look up Clinton Rance's stuff as well, Like, yeah, LOI NC if you're interested in this stuff. He was convicted I think of two murder accounts for ordering his soldiers to fire and unarmed people. And then yeah, the other one was a Green Beret named Matt Altsin who was also charged in the murder of someone in Afghanistan, someone who had been making I DS. So like, I think we can see where this guy is going. We've just found this out as well as we're recording for context. Like that's quite troubling.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 2: His other two foreign policy appointments that I've seen so far have been less so.
Speaker 3: Look, i'd say less so.
Speaker 2: Marco Rubio is a turd, right, Like, like, I think we all know that we I share very little with Marco Rubio.
Speaker 3: On Turkey and Rajaba. He is good.
Speaker 2: He is not a fan of Verta one. He's in contact with googlanists. He kind of puts Turkey in the in the bricks box is a good yeah, which which leads us to the very funny idea of Marco Rubio ordering a drone strike on airc Adams.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, here's the thing though Good's dead now, so so like there's like a secession crisis of like who's gonna.
Speaker 3: The goodinist anti Pope Marky Rubio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could be very good for Rajava at least right the big concern among those of us who carry deeply about Rajava has been that Trump will abandon them as he did in the past.
Speaker 3: Right, And so I guess we're looking for glimmers of hope.
Speaker 2: And I think Ruby a kind of oddly weirdly was one compared to I was expecting more of the hegthf like Fox News commentator type people in foreign policy positions because Trump fundamentally doesn't care about foreign policy, and like it's an area where he can kind of give something to those kind of like insane far right commentator types. He also did appoint Mark Waltz, I think could be Wols. He's one of the first special Army special Forces guys serving Congress, maybe the first as a national security advisor. Walls as a member of the Kurdish Caucus in Congress. So again, positive for a Java. Talking of Army special forces, there's one more insane Trump foreign policy proposal that I want to discuss and that is his desire to use the United States Army in Mexico. I'm just going to read from his campaign website here. President Trump will take down the drug cartels just as he took down ISIS. He will impose a total naval embargo on cartels, order the Department of Defense to inflict maximum damage on cartel leadership and operations, and designate cartels as foreign terrorist organizations and choke off the access to the global financial system. President Trump will get the full cooperation of neighboring governments to dismantle the cartels or else expose every bribe and kickback that allows these criminal networks to preserve their brutal rain. He will ask Congress to ensure that drug smugglers and traffickers can receive the death penalty.
Speaker 3: There's a lot there.
Speaker 2: The way that Donald Trump helped defeat ISIS was exclusively by bombing things and with some small contributions from US ground troops. But we don't really have a partner force in Mexico like that, and I think, especially with the new administration in Mexico, and especially with Trump proposing one hundred percent tariffs on Mexican goods, we're unlikely to find one, which leaves the very strange kind of prospect of US troops carrying out like unapproved, undeconflicted hits on Mexican nationals in Mexico.
Speaker 3: Which like its an act of war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are invading Mexico, is what you're doing, I actould point out. And the Bortac under Biden did shoot one Mexican national this year who was he was holding up migrants with the gun.
Speaker 3: He was, he's rubbing with a gun.
Speaker 2: It wasn't into place where I've been dozens of times where they shot him and they didn't seem to be much fuffle about that. But that is not invading Mexico.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like if they're invading Mexico, like you know, as as close as American Mexican sort of security cooperation has been and as many people as that's killed from the Mexican side, like.
Speaker 3: That's oh boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it remains to be seen how much of this actually happened. Right, Mexico has a new president, the United States has a new president. They're not exactly politically fellow travelers, I'll say.
Speaker 4: That, but yeah, I mean I will say like Armlow and Trump got along like decently well, yeah, largely off of Omblos like anti immigrant policies, but I don't know if that's going to work with China.
Speaker 2: Bomb like and like in the final year of Armlow like they definitely they did a lot to help Biden within effectively enforcing US border policy by deporting people's South. People I spoke to in the Darien series have been sent south again this week. But Biden's had actually some pretty high profile cartel arrests right within Cineloa cartel. He's destabilized that cartel, but those happened within the US. They didn't send teams into into Mexico. And the way that the US has traditionally got hold of cartel leaders before is him to be arrested in Mexico in cooperation with Mexican government forces, be they police or military, and then extraducted them to the US trial. And that doesn't seem to be what Trump is proposing. But again, like the Bomber rhetoric and the reality are sometimes very different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have some vague memory that he, like last time, he wanted to like send special forces guys to do this, and his advisors were like, what the fuck are you talking about? We can't send yeah, like people in New Mexico.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, just to be real, those organizations have reached inside the United States, and that would be an extremely messy situation. Yeah, and like the way this would have to be done, right, Like, I don't think you can do this with drone strikes. That you have to do this with boots on the ground. And that's going to be contrary to what he's promised to do, which is not risk more US soldiers' lives. Who knows what this will actually look like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my guess is you will find a way to get the maxim umber civilians killed.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, we de would himself. Yeah, it's that's probably would be the result of this, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And I think as you sort of wear this down, like civilian deaths are probably going to increase. Right, He's never shown himself to be unduly concerned about those things. He doesn't see that in the problem. The second thing the US will lose is what Joseph Nay called soft power, right, which is like the power to influence people without projecting force, cultural power, cultural capitals.
Speaker 3: Body you might have called.
Speaker 2: It really getting heavy on the university shit at the back half of this episode.
Speaker 3: The US lost a lot.
Speaker 2: Of that in the first Trump term, right, and it will lose more of it in the second Trump term. Some of that is, you know, the US maybe shouldn't be influencing, and the US has had some pretty malign influence around the world.
Speaker 3: You can listen to a song called Washington Bullets to learn more about it.
Speaker 2: But it will mean that, like there will be a space for other bad actors, right, Russia, China. You know, Russia has not shown itself to be any more concerned with human rights, and probably less so than than the United States went in it. And it's time in Syria, right, it's been an unmitigated disaster for the Syrian people. The Russian cooperation with your side regime. We do not need more of that around the world. The WAGNSLA to Africa, Core diplomas in Africa have been horrific in terms of human rights, and this will open more spaces for that. So yeah, I mean, it doesn't look great this secretive appointment. Maybe we'll learn more about that in the coming days, but that doesn't look great. There are some bright spots for a Java. I guess there's some glimmers of hope there, which is a nice thing. Trump's policy on Gaza fits with this general model of like he wants to end conflicts, and the way he sees of doing that is doing away with any restraint in terms of civilian casualties. And so the way that he went after isis was to just say bomb them all. I can see him doing the same thing in Gaza, right, just saying like he wants to claim that he bought an end to the war and he doesn't care how many bodies he's standing on when he says that. Yeah, same thing in Lebanon, obviously. So, yeah, these are not great things. These are things that we will have to deal with for decades to come, whatever happens. And I guess the way that you can do something here like why a little glimmer of hope. It's like you can reach out to people all around the world and let them know that like even if America's foreign policy is shit, you're not. I have sat in Rojaba and i have seen them taking the children to the hospitals, and I've watched the US soldiers sit in their bases and do nothing, and like it didn't help. Really I didn't. I wasn't able to do very much. I couldn't even give blood, but I was able to be there with them, and maybe they're meant something, and like you can do little things to show your solidarity around the world because there won't be much of it coming from the government.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website fool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here listened directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.