Speaker 1: Welcome to the best of the week for What's Right with Nick Right, the best takes and moments from this week on the show. Enjoy before I even bring into Monday. And this is something where I'm probably gonna hurt some people's feelings, and I Am probably gonna hurt some coworkers' feelings, and I don't care. There are some times we get real in live action in the moment impromptu IQ tests for the general public, and one of them is this, do you think the NBA Draft lottery is rigged? Because if you think it is, you're kind of dumb. Now you might be like, I'm not dumb. Explain the odds of these things. And the answer to that question is go to your local community college. You can probably get courses for seventy dollars a credit hour and take introduction to probability and statistics. And what you'll learn is the thing about things that have a one point eight percent chance of occurring, is they occur one point eight percent of the time. And when you have a bunch of teams, all of whom have eight like so here is the simplest way to explain it. And I knew it. I'm not gonna name names, but I knew there would be people working on this show. Might be one person co hosting the show. I'm going to bring in a bit, who's like, well, obviously it might be rigged. I know that I'm a jerk for calling you guys dumb, and I'm not saying you're dumb. Maybe I did just say that you're just dumber than you think you are. So here is like the most simple way to look at it from a probability perspective. What are the odds of any one person winning the power ball? Like, what is it like one point four billion to one, not one point eight percent, but like point zero zero one hundred times one percent that someone's going to win it. But someone always wins it. So how does that happen? You had one in a billion? You had there are more people. There's not a billion people in the United States, yet every week someone hits a billion to one shot. That's how That's how probability and statistics work. Also, the idea that the firm Ernst and Young is gonna be like, listen, been around for about one hundred years. We have a super profitable business. We also have a side business where we rig the NBA Draft lottery for reasons that aren't totally clear. Like the latest conspiracy is if you trade with the Lakers, you get the number one pick. But that of course is idiotic because Anthony Davis. Because like they traded Davis, they got Zion. The NBA didn't want Zion to go to New Orleans. It was a disaster for everyone the moment it happened. Well, the the NBA called in is sent in, listen, trade Luca to the to the Lakers, and we'll get you Cooper Flag. And the part of that story that folks are ignoring is the Dallas Mavericks were won a play in game, tried to make the playoffs, and were playing the Memphis Grizzlies in a game that if they won, they don't even have any ping pong balls. That was so neat. It's like, how how big does the conspiracy go? Boys? People are just and there's five teams that if they would have won it, we would have said, if the Spurs won it, we would have said rigged, duh, Wimby and Flag. If the Sixers won it, we'd have said, rigged. Oh you gotta you're you gotta get him beat a lifeline. There's like more teams that you would have called it rigged than not.
Speaker 2: Have made people call it the most rigged though, like that that's the that's the team that but.
Speaker 1: Every right, but people did the same ship with Wimby. Oh of course, the like the spurs, they right from Duncan into Wimby. People reverse engineer these conspiracies. Here's the problem with the conspiracy. The draft lottery is now. Listen, all conspiracies are not created equal that do I think forty years ago when the process was the commissioner sticking his hand into a globe and grabbing an envelope, do I think that maybe oh, or freezing one of those envelopes. That's not idiotic because that's easy to execute, and one person has to be involved any conspiracy where it's like well, we need a whole lot of the executives and lawyers at Ernst and Young to be in on it. We need the league owners to be fine with it. The Wizard's owners like, god damn it. This conspiracy has never works for me, but I'll keep playing along. We need the reporters to be in on it. It's so dumb and the reason I'm leading the show with it is because you're I'm just telling you right now, sometimes it's hard to tell like who's smart and who's not as far as people who have public platforms and talk about things for living. If one of your favorite personalities today is like haha, wink wink, we knew that was gonna happen, they're just not that they're not as bright as they think they are. Just dock their IQ points and it's like if you saw them, you know, fall off a twenty foot ledge onto their head, like moving forward to'd be like, oh, probably not as smart as they once were. You now know it. So I'm sorry. And like I said, I know I'm hurting some people's feelings today and I know they but but it's just idiotic.
Speaker 3: Blending Vice's signature dynamic storytelling with the high octane.
Speaker 1: World of sports.
Speaker 3: Vice Sports brings an exciting and diverse range of programming that goes beyond the game, catch action packed live events, and exclusive sports documentaries and profiles, only on Vice TV.
Speaker 2: So Brunston almost shot forty last night? Do you think, well, he's the best Knicks player since who Mellow? Are we putting him above Mellow? Because Mellow is just.
Speaker 1: So he is not yet above mellow.
Speaker 2: In Like, Daniel, what in the other room, he's Oh, now he's not better than Mellow.
Speaker 1: Well, so let me finish the thought, Daniel. I guess, Daniel, Well, I get yeah, yeah, uh, he's not above Mellow In my if I did a play my player pyramid, like all time, if Jalen Brunson retires today, is he one of the forty five greatest players ever? Like Carmelo is obviously not right, Like we all agree on that that he has not yet had a better career than Carmelo Anthony. But if the question is was he a better Nick, the answer to that is yes, yeah he is. Yeah, so that's why. Yeah, that's that. That's what I was. I I had to build the whole bridge, Dan, I think they're now agreeing with me. I I think that he's pretty clearly the best Knick since Patrick Ewing, the best, not the best player to play for the Knicks, but the best Nick since Patrick Ewing.
Speaker 2: And go ahead, if he wins the finals this year, Like if you were to win the finals.
Speaker 1: This year, Oh wow, probably not yet, but he would be a favorite to have one if they win. I guess if they win the title and he's the lead guy in ship and he's the lead guy, so like, what lead guys on a champion? Do I have mellow ahead of so? Chauncey? Yeah, I mean I the is that the only one? So? Well? Tatum, I have a mellow right now? You know what I mean. But again, though, that's kind of let me not do the guys who are still playing, because they're still kind of you know, well, they're still writing their stories so to speak. But no, so let no, I'll include them. So let's just oh, this will be fun. Can I Can I do it again? Demonse? Remember when we did this five years? Was it fifty or the top fifty? No? I think I did? Did I? I think I did? League MVPs League V But let's just yeah, let's just see if I can do it. Just go backwards for Champions twenty four Tatum and then again. So the question is this question? Is this uh all right? Because if Brunton wins the title, does he jump mellow in the all time hierarchy? And my answer is not yet. But then the question is lead guy on a Champion? Which of these guys do I have mellow ahead of? So? Now I'll just try to go backwards in history and do lead guys on Champions twenty four, Tatum Melos ahead of him twenty three, Joker No. Twenty two, Steph No. Twenty one, Yannis No. Twenty, Bron No. Nineteen, Kawhi No. It's close though, because Kawhi's weird career eighteen seventeen Steph kt KT Steph No. No. Sixteen, bron fifteen, Steph No.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Fourteen Again Kawhi Duncan. Kawhi wasn't the best player on the team. I should have just said Duncan but No. Thirteen twelve, Bron No. Eleven, Dirk No. Ten to nine, Kobe No. Eight, Garnet No. If you think Pierce my answers, yes, I do have Mellow above Pierce. Sorry, Paul, So that's two maybe, but I think Garnett was the best player on that team. Seven Duncan No. Six, Wade Shack No. Five, Duncan No. Four, Chauncey Yes, so we're three uh three, Duncan No. Two to one zero Again, those are the years. Shaq No. Ninety nine, Duncan No. Ninety eight, ninety seven, ninety six, Jordan No. Ninety five ninety four, a Caem No. Ninety three, ninety two, ninety one, Jordan No. Ninety eighty nine, Isaiah No. Eighty eight, eighty seven, Uh Magic's slash Kareem No Uh eighty six, Bird No. Eighty five, Magic slash Careem No. Eighty four, Hold on a second here eighty four, Oh eighty four magic Kaream Wait eighty five was magic Kaream eighty four Celtics Bird No. Eighty three, Lakers Right eighty three Lakers eighty two sixers and seventy six ers Moses Uh Doctor j No. Eighty one, Celtics No. Eighty Lakers No. And then you get to seventy nine eighty and you get to the weird ABA NBA Merger stuff, and you have the Wizard. So you'd in the last forty five years I would. The only guys I had were Tatum, Pierson Chauncey. So I know my answer is no, he wouldn't yet be above Mellow, but he would be in root. But he's already a better nick and the a real like if here's another question, and no, he wouldn't even with a championship. He's not above viewing either yet. But I mean the he now is is jailing. Here's another question. We're doing an hour on this game. I gotta get better at this stuff. Here's a better question. Maybe is Jalen Brunson now on the mount rushmore of Knicks read Fraser Ewing are three locks? I think Brunson's four. Willis Reid's got finals MVPs. One of the greatest players ever, Walt Fraser. And again for the kids out there in the DEMONSI you've you've heard of the Willis Reid game. The game Willis Reid was injured and he came out on one leg, hit two jumpers. Crowd exploded. Think about that game? Is those are the only two shots he made all game? He was too injured to play. The reason the Knicks won that game seven of those finals was because Walt Fraser had thirty six points and nineteen assists thirty six and nineteen in a game seven of the finals to win the championship. So Reid and Fraser are on there. Ewing is on there. I think Brunson's now on there.
Speaker 2: He's got to win the title or something to get there.
Speaker 1: Well, the problem is, but here's the thing, Demons, only Reid and Fraser have won the title. Yeah, like the guy. The guy he's competing with is Bernard King. But Bernard King, who was I think fiftieth on her fifty Greatest Players of the Last fifty Years list, had a shortened career due to injury, and like the and so, yeah, that that's where I've got it. But first, let me tell you guys, NBA's eighty two game grind is done and the real fun has begun. The NBA Playoffs are here. Time for all the high stakes drama, clutch moments, jaw dropping plays. I know you can't wait. You're looking to make the playoffs even more exciting. DraftKings Sportsbook has you covered as an official sports betting partner of the NBA from the playing games all the way through to the finals. Now's the time to back your favorite players and teams as they chase glory all season long. DraftKings been the go to spot for NBA player props that doesn't stop. Now. Want to make your player playoff experience even more intent, try placing a bet on your favorite players performance. Will they drop thirty, forty, maybe more? Your call? Ready to place your first bet? Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now lock in your bets and let's make this playoff run unforgettable, something special for first timers. New Draft Kings customers bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets into instantly again make it a playoff run to remember. With DraftKings, download the DraftKings sportsbook app. Use code right. That's code right for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope in why, or text hope in why, which is four six seven three six nine In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and resort in Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario.
Speaker 4: Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see the DKNG dot co slash.
Speaker 2: B ball.
Speaker 1: All Right demonte Let's go to the schedule release if we could.
Speaker 2: NFL released a twenty twenty five schedule last night, starting off with your Chiefs. We have a league high seven primetime games. What sticks out to you with the schedule?
Speaker 1: So there's so many schedule related things, and I was I told the producers I was gonna do a lot on the schedule, but it's almost like there's so much on the schedule that it's going to be that it's gonna be overwhelming to do. I so I want to do it like this. I want to go through the nationally televised games and then I will dive deep into individual teams who I feel like have either got lucky or unlucky. Maybe we'll do more of it next week because I do want to do more NFL stuff, So our Sunday night football slate, we can just go through it. You guys don't have to worry about this chief schedule right now. And if it helps you guys, I should have given you guys a heads up on this. If you go to the Twitter account my sports Update, which is Ari Meirov, he has the image of the three like the night schedules, because that's what I'm looking at and people can watch along. I don't even know if we have the capability to pull this up. I still don't really know how production works. But the first Sunday night football game of the year to Monse is Ravens at Bills, and I'm here to tell everyone that I think, for the second straight year, to Monse the dirty Yeah, you agree.
Speaker 2: I see it as an opportunity again same way I saw it last year.
Speaker 1: But it is it.
Speaker 2: Is an opportunity that the Bill like it could have been another good team against the Ravens other than the Bills.
Speaker 1: I want to make sure the audience knows what we're talking about. For the second straight year, the NFL is sending the Baltimore Ravens to the location of their gutting postseason defeat, obviously against the team that beat them, and because it's not a divisional matchup, no chance for a get back. So last year two years ago, the Chiefs host or no, I guess it's not to the location two years ago because the Ravens hosted that game. But two years ago the Ravens beat the chief The Chiefs beat the Ravens in the AFC Championship game, and then weak Ones against the Chiefs. The Chiefs beat them, and I don't care what the Ravens said in the back of their head. All year had to be can we beat this team? They've beaten us twice and now the Bills beat them to end the year, and Week one they play the Bills. Now it is a great opportunity, and that is a kick ass game, like a really a kick ass game. But I don't, I don't. I don't get it to like, be totally honest with you, all right. Week two Sunday Night Football is uh. It's almost as if the schedule makers, Oh, good job producers, they got the graphic, forgot that Kirk Cousins lost the starting job because the only reason I care about Falcons at Vikings is if Kirk Cousins is starting for the Falcons. Otherwise, like I guess Pinnix McCarthy. But I'm not that into it. Week three, Chiefs at Giants, I gotta tell you, I'm into it, and I might go to that game Sunday Night met Life see the Chiefs. Maybe the world is not. I can't imagine the world is super into that game. Week four, This again, there's the Sunday Night Slate. Week four Packers at Cowboys, good early season, kind of measuring stick game for both teams In this regard, I think both of these teams kind of best case scenario is they are fighting for one of those wild card spots. So this could have real postseason implications if the Cowboys are better than people think and if the Packers are about what people think. Week five Patriots Bills. I think the Patriots are gonna stink. Vegas thinks the Patriots are gonna be fighting for a playoff spot, so that becomes a cue huge game. Week six Lions at Chiefs one of the games of the year, like just objectively one of the games of the year. And here is a years of little known fact. Jared Goff, I do believe, is the only quarterback in the league that Mahomes has played more than once and never beaten. So he lost to him in the fifty four to fifty one Monday Night Football epic Chiefs Rams seven years ago, and lost to him the season opener two years ago. Lions Chiefs. Week seven Falcons Niners. Again, I feel like we're being a little overserved the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday Night Football. I gotta be honest with you. Week eight one of the most exciting games of the year, or theoretically Aaron Rodgers taking on the Green Bay Packers, assuming Aaron Rodgers signs up to play. So I'm into that one. Are you into that one? I'm in. I wish it were in Lambeau, but I'm into that one. I'd love to see Jordan Love put it on him. Yeah, I think it'd be great. Week nine, Seahawks Commanders. I think the Seahawks might be really bad. Commanders should be fun, but I think the Seahawks might be really bad. We'll see about Sam Darnold week ten. Week ten, if these seasons go the way I think they're gonna go, might be a Sunday Night Football is a second screen. I don't know what HBO has on at that point of the year, but Steelers Chargers. I'm not as himing the Chargers as everyone else is, and I think the Steelers it's not gonna work. We're getting Wow, two out of three weeks. We're getting Aaron Rodgers theoretically in the Steelers on Sunday Night Football. Week eleven, awesome game Lions Eagles, massive implications for tie breakers, and playoff seating everything. Week twelve. I think that's an awesome game too, Bucks Rams, two of my favorite quarterbacks. Who my favorite teams to watch? Week thirteen, bo Knicks against Jaden Yeah yeah, see about the Broncos. Week fourteen Texans Chiefs awesome. Texans tried to get some get back for the playoff game last year. Week fifteen, Vikings Cowboys okay. Week sixteen, Bengals Dolphins. Week seventeen, I like it a lot. Bears Niners. I will say Sunday Night Football. I feel like this is probably good for my employer Fox. I think I think America's game of the week, the Giant Fox four thirty game on Sundays stole some of the best matchups from Sunday Night Football. Monday Night Football. We can go through much quicker. If I'm ESPN, I am irritated is the wrong word. But there's only a few jump off the page on you. Week one Vikings Bears, Listen. I'm excited to see Caleb. I am not as into the Vikings as maybe the schedule makers are. Week two doubleheader pretty good, actually, Bucks Texans, I like it. Chargers Raiders. I'm high on the Raiders and Week three is unbelievable Lions Ravens. That's another game of the year. Then it gets a little Jets Dolphins h Bengals Broncos and Chiefs Jags. I love that matchup. I don't know if America does. But Travis Hunter, even if you don't care about the Prince Travis Hunter. Week thirteen, Bill's Falcons Bears, Oh Bears Commanders. That's an awesome game. Jaden and caleeb That's awesome. Maybe this is a better schedule than I thought. Actually, now that I'm actually diving into it, Bucks line, this is again money night football, Bucks. Lion's great with a doubleheader of Texan Seahawks, and then the very next week, Jaden takes on Mahomes for the first time ever. That's sick Cardinals Cowboys. The storyline there'll be or just make this prop bet now, there is going to be a highlight package of Kyler Murray as a high schooler winning state championships in Cowboys stadium that we're gonna get that. We're like, this guy's unbelievable in this stadium. Ten potentially really good one Eagles Packers, Week eleven, Cowboys Raiders. Again, I think the Raiders are gonna be good. Week twelve are Niners hosting the Panthers November twenty fourth. That's a date night, I'll tell you right now. That's a Monday night date night. The next week Giants Patriots. We might have back to back date nights. Yeah, back to back Monday night date nights. Put it on your calendar, honey. Week fourteen Eagles Chargers good, and then Week fifteen Dolphin Steelers, and then Niners, Colts and then Rams Falcons. So Monday Night Football kind of ends with a bit of a whimper, but it has really I think the first half the schedule better than I thought. And now we go to Thursday Night Thursday. Week one, Packers, Commanders, love it. Week two Dolphins Bills. Oh, so this is what we're when we do this more schedule stuff next week. This is the things that are because we are obviously already know who's playing who, so it's more about when they're playing for the schedule release, not more about exclusively. The Dolphins getting their game in Buffalo in September is a huge win for them. Them not having to go to Buffalo in November December is very helpful for the Dolphins. Then we get Seahawks, Cardinals, whatever, Niners, Rams, potentially really good Eagles, Giants as Steelers, Bengals always good, Vikings, Chargers again, a lot of Vikings. Maybe JJ McCarthy's gonna be awesome, but I can't figure that one. Ravens Dolphins see if to healthy, but that could be good. Bears, bron I'm sorry, Raiders, Broncos, Jets, Patriots, No thank you. November thirteen, no thank you. Bill's Texans awesome game. And then the Black Friday Game Bears, Eagles awesome, Then Cowboys, Lions, really good, Falcons, Bucks, fine, Rams, Seahawks, and then the Christmas Day game Broncos Cheeks. So so that's your exclusive Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night schedule. I'm just glad it's here, and I really I'm gonna lean on Warren Sharp to do a lot of the tough work for Rest Edge and stuff like that, and I'll dive into more fully like did you you know did you fade? Are you a warm weather team that got your cold weather opponent in set timber like the Dolphins did with their annual game to Buffalo, Because that's important if you ask me, sneak no.
Speaker 2: I know the schedules coming out. I think you can get the Jags to win the division. I nearly three to one right now. I just want to put that out there.
Speaker 1: I like that. Travis Hunter prod. Liam Cohen. Fading your fading, your guys, c J. Stroud