Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds and in Emerson College survey says fifty seven percent of likely voters in California support Newsome's redistricting plan. We have such a great show for you today, The Jim Acostas Show's own Jim Acosta stops by to talk about Trump's unpopular rule and its consequences. Then we'll talk to Congressman Jared Moskowitz about the Republicans bad bargaining as the government shutdown continues. But first the news Bi.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you this, Trump prosecuting his enemies. You feel like his heart would be more in it if he hadn't given the most incompetent person in the world the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's talk about what the fuck is going on here. Donald J. Trump is prosecuting his enemies. This is norms, crushing democracy killing. There aren't enough cliches to spout in order to explain how fucking bad this is. This is bad. It's not what we do. It's what they do in Russia, and it's what they do in Banana republics and the good news is that, believe it or not, Donald J. Trump and his henchmen are not very smart. And so despite that, I think that Letitia James is actually going to win this. And by the way, what's really cool about this is like we have these people who are pushing back, they are fighting back, they are showing what we need to see, which is that all of this is ridiculous. And Lindsay Halligan is an insurance attorney and she does not know how to run the Justice Department, and so going after the president's enemies is going to fail. And also, this is not what we do in this country.
Speaker 2: Yes, agreed, you know it is a shame because these people end up spending tons of money to fight these coure cases while our textellars support mister Trump's grievances. I mean, I heard Boddick McIver, Congress would from New York talking about it's costing her over a million dollars that she has to raise to fight her lawsuit and it's gumming up the works when shames could be doing other things. But this is where we are with this stupid, stupid administration. Speaking of Donald Trump is really wetting the bed over Canada and Cardi running an ad against his stupid tariff's boy, he's really throwing a fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, Mark Carney is a really skilled PM and they are really lucky. Like he's the guy who led England through Brexit, who is really smart and good. He's like the opposite. He's like bizarro Trump. He's like good at stuff luckily for them. So he is mad because Canada did this ad shows this video of Reagan talking about harems, and Trump is mad about this ad, so he's decided that he's going to cut off trade negotiations with Canada. Here's the truth. Donald Trump is out of his depths and likely out of his mind. And so Ronald Reagan had the common Republican belief and now Trump is just not a free trader. So this ad quote it's drawn from a radio dress that Reagan gave in April nineteen eighty seven, which he's urges Congress not to pursue protectionist policies against Japan and gave a blistering critique of the economic effects of tariffs. Look, man, Ronald Reagan is right. I mean that's the crazy part of this. Like this is correct. And again with every Trump truth I think this is like the most important part of the story. It was unclear if the President had spoken to mister Carney or anyone in the Canadian government before announcing that he was canceling trade talk Bye. Mister Trump's Thursday missive was not the first indication that he had noticed the ad. And look, you know again, this is we are being We are being ruled by a mad king who has emotional responses to things and then decides that he is going to run the federal government because of his emotional responses to things. I am reminded of a time when we weren't told that women were too emotional.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that I'm reminded of him saying this is how Hillary Clinton would run the government. And yeah, buddy, I'll take a firm book at the mirror, because it seems like that top of the bud for him every day.
Speaker 1: Oh period jokes, bum bum bum. Anyway, look, man, you're not wrong. Yeah, so it's just it's not good.
Speaker 2: Speaking of not good, I'm going to tell you they it's a total story here that I remember about a month ago, I was celebrating with a friend their new job achievement. I got a steak and the steakhouse came up to us because they knew us from internet stuff, and they said, we really apologize about the stake portion. We don't want to raise our prices. But beef is at at all time high. And I looked at a graph and I could not believe how much the hot price of beef had gone up. And so sure enough we see a new report that inflation has climbed to its highest level since January, and beef is at an all time.
Speaker 1: High fifteen percent over the year ending in September. Data shows Trump has set off an outcry. Look, these are people who voted for Trump who are actually just getting fun by Trump egg prices. You'll remember Donald Trump said he was going to make eggs cheaper. Wow, they are a little cheaper, but we've recently read that birdflu is back, so we'll see how cheap they stay. The price of coffee has starved nineteen percent over the past year, which is where most of my money goes. To Carolyn Levitt, who said that Donald Trump is laser focused on the renovation of his ballroom. As well. He should be, it's not like he's president. She said that the government shutdown would likely result in no inflation report for October. You'll remember that earlier this season, Donald Trump fired the head of the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. So my guess is, my man, we'll be happy not to have that information. He might have to fire her again. Can he fire a third time?
Speaker 2: I imagine that the guy who got famous off of saying you're fired can just do it all night and day.
Speaker 1: Let us pray right, so bad somai.
Speaker 2: I'll tell another personally asident. My wife, as we've discussed, works for a congress person, and therefore she's working but not getting paid. So our house has been reduced to a single income house now and luckily I can cover us. But like so many families we're talking to of coworkers and other people we know in government, they're having horrible times. Their student loans are going to misspayments, which come with penalties. They don't know how to pay them because the government normally takes care of that process, but the liaison is shut down. This is a real shit show. With this government shutdown, have Russia Ron Johnson blocking Chris van Holland's measure to allow federal employees to be paid during the shutdown.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happens here. I mean, this shutdown could keep going until Thanksgiving. Democrats don't want a cave. Republicans don't want to extend these tax credits on Obamacare. They were like a bunch of different bills to try and pay some different people. There's the Military and Federal Employee Protection Acts, sponsored by Gary Peters, which would allow military service members, federal employees, and contractors to receive the pay they have missed during the shutdown. Again, Johnson blocked both measures. Van Holland, you know there are a couple measures. You know, this is a government shutdown with no end in sight, and it's fucked, and you know, you have people at food banks, and you know, government employees really have just been treated so terrible over the last nine months, and Republicans don't care, and it's a pretty stupid state of affairs, all told Stronger. Jim Acosta is the author of The Substack That Jim Acosta Show and the author of the New York Times bestseller Enemy of the People, A Dangerous Time to Tell the Truth in America. Welcome too Fast Politics, Jim Acosta.
Speaker 3: Hey, good to see you, good to hear you.
Speaker 1: And we are alive another day in Trump's America? Can you believe, Like, let's take a moment to recount the week that the East Wing was demolished, that Donald Trump said the American people should pay him two hundred million dollars two hundred and sixty four million dollars. I can't remember exactly the number of bombs and fishermen in the Caribbean Sea as well, it does next week, that's right. You know, all federal government remains closed all to prevent the American people from seeing the Epstein trials.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think, good night everybody that that's a perfect synopsis.
Speaker 3: Let's just go home. That's that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I you know, you know, I worked at the White House for seven and a half years covering.
Speaker 1: Before they pulled away your hard pass.
Speaker 3: Remember that my heart passed.
Speaker 4: Now like pulling away my heart pass is sort of like a Disney you know, after school special or.
Speaker 3: Something comparedable right now.
Speaker 4: But no, I mean, you know, I have some reverence for the place. I know that nobody does anymore, but I still do. And the fact that he could just go in and fucking raise the East Wing of the White House without you know talking to anybody about it. It's just like the perfect symbol of where we are right now as a country, and people just need to understand this is going to get worse before it gets better. He's unstable, the people around him are either corrupt or a name or both. And you know this is this is We're just heading towards the midterms and we all have to buckle up because I think this is going to get worse before he gets better, and his out of control behavior is going to get even more out of control when he basically tries to stop us from all voting next year.
Speaker 1: So I mean, yes, he has just said he will, but you know what I do think, And again, like why I think we should not despair is partially because it's too early to despair, but also because even Hitler was popular. I'm sorry, but popular.
Speaker 3: You know he wasn't Molly, I gotta go now. It was great talking to you, just saying.
Speaker 1: Like Mussolini, you have to be a little popular, Like if you want to be an autocrat, you got to give the carrots. And what's happening right now the federal government is closed because Donald Trump does not want to give more money for healthcare premium, which means because of tax cuts for very wealthy people, which means that all of these people who voted for him are about to get kicked off their healthcare. They're not about to not be able to afford to pay their.
Speaker 4: Premiums, right, And I know that strategically, you and I've talked about this, the Democrats have carved out a nice little strategy for themselves.
Speaker 3: That, you know, if they hold the.
Speaker 4: Republicans over a barrel over these Obamacare premiums, that they'll cry uncle at some point. And that may and maybe they will. Maybe they will, but maybe they won't. There's a part and maybe they won't. There's a part of me that wonders whether it might make sense for at this point for folks to understand what it feels like to touch the hot stove. And I just you know, I wonder when Donald Trump says, oh, these are Democrat programs. So I, as you and I have talked about, I've been to tons of Trump rallies. A lot of his people are on Medicare, a lot of his people are on Medicaid, a lot of his people are on Obamacare, but just may not. They may not fully understand that, but they are on Obama and they're going to start to feel these premium increases that you know, as Margie Taylor Green was saying about her own kids, maybe what doubling or whatever for a lot of Americans.
Speaker 3: And I think that you know that there there may be.
Speaker 4: A scenario where some folks are just going to have to get that sticker shock and understand like, oh, yeah, this is important. Look what's happening to the farmers in the Midwest where Trump is going to give billions of dollars to Argentina and now we're going to buy Argentinian.
Speaker 3: Beef because the price beef is too high in this country.
Speaker 4: And the cattle farmers are like, what the fuck were we just voted you back into office and you're screwing this already?
Speaker 5: Yes, and he is.
Speaker 4: And the answer is he's screwing you already. People should have known this the first time and not done this the second time. But here we are learning these lessons all over again.
Speaker 1: And I mean, this is the other thing that I would say about where we are at this moment. It's that we one of the big problems about Trump one point, oh, was that you could never convince people that Trump was going to do what he said he was going to do because he wasn't able to do them the last time. And I think that's a real so talk about.
Speaker 4: That well, I mean I I mean, when he was running for reelection in twenty twenty, I talked to one of his top advisors who said, you know, if he gets back into the White House a second time, it's going to be trump Ism on steroids. And now what we're getting we didn't get that because Joe Biden won in twenty twenty. What we're getting now is trump Ism on steroids and crystal mas. We're getting just sort of Trump unleashed. You know, every dark, you know, horrible thing that's going on inside of him is just being unleashed on all of us, and it's it's manifesting itself at Oh, I'm just going to destroy a giant part of the White House complex. And you know, I tell people buckle up because I think there's You have to understand the way his mind works. He thinks, he thinks out very devious schemes, and then as soon he's achieved one of those schemes, his mind is already working on the next one. And I would not be You look at these these renderings of what the ballroom is going to look like. Compared to the rest of the White House, it's ninety thousand square foot compared to the White House Executive Residents itself is fifty five thousand if you exclude the East and West wings. My guess is he already has in mind that he would like to demolish the West wing and rebuild the West wing to look like the East wing. And so you just have to understand this is how he works, this is how the people around him work. They will lie to the public and say, oh, no, it's not going to touch the existing building, and then they'll blow it the fuck up now, and it's going to say, oh, that's all we're going to do. We're just going to do the East wing, and then guess what the bulldozers are going to show up to knock down the West wing.
Speaker 3: Is this is just the.
Speaker 4: New normal that we're in right now, or the totally fucked up abnormal that we're in right now. It's just going to continue. And I think what we're building up to, in my view, so we're building up to a a massive voter revolt in twenty twenty six, I think, and we can talk about that, and I think that is going to keep building up to a massive voter revolt in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the things that I'm glad you talked about here is that I truly believe that this is not I mean, he's the most unpopular he's ever been, yes ever, and there's a reason for that, because my man does not give a fuck. I think that what happened was Trump one point zero was a disaster for a lot of people. But you know, COVID was an incredible kind of amnesiatic, right. It created a sort of amnesia. People were traumatized. They didn't remember, they didn't know what happened. And then Biden made I think, really the biggest mistake that anyone has ever made as a in the in the in the messaging world, which is he really didn't do any interviews. So everyone got mad. You know, the mainstream media was pissed at him. Everybody forgot that he was president. People stopped caring about it, and then you and I mean, is.
Speaker 4: That his something There's also something stupid that was going on in the media, and let's just face it, where they felt this is where the both siding thing became so toxic and poisonous, correct, where it was like, well, we were so tough on Trump because he was an out of control maniam by Democratic zelot and so on, that we have to treat Biden as you know, this nefarious thing that's happening as well, and he just wasn't right just exactly. I wanted to bring broadband to the masses and help you rail lines and you know, do things that like presidents in the twentieth century did. If Joe Biden maybe made one big mistake, it was that he kind of acted like a twentieth century president in a world where Donald Trump and the Republicans don't give a fuck and they're just going to try to ram everything down your throat and when you get pissed about it, they're just going to troll and taunt their way out of it. And the Biden messaging machine was just way behind that curve.
Speaker 1: I don't, yeah, send them all to the Hague, I mean send that those That was the worst messaging. And you know, I would say to them, you guys, like nobody knows what you're doing, So nobody knows what you're doing. Nobody knows what you're doing. And and it was like, and I do think, like, you cannot You absolutely just can't. You can't just sort of pray that people are going to be able to figure out what you're doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But and this is where I have a beef with the media because Biden being old and stumbling and stuttering, or they're messaging not being good or whatever whatever the fuck that was going wrong when Joe Biden was president. None of that measures up to what Donald Trump did in his first term or the way his first term ended. And it doesn't measure up to the threat that he posed during those four years when he was a disgraced.
Speaker 3: Ex president of office. It doesn't measure.
Speaker 4: So we're kind of gotten ourselves into as you know, as my mother likes to say, you make your bed, you lie in it. And I think that the press is now, you know, kind of getting their noses rubbed in it. There the Pentagon, the Pentagon, the press gets kicked out of They've got and they have.
Speaker 1: A new press corps. It's the Pizza Gate guy. That guy, I love that guy.
Speaker 3: Right, there's like TV, but also.
Speaker 1: Then there's there's pizza there's Jack Pasobiac.
Speaker 3: Jack the Pizzagate guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love Jack Pisobia, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, and it's Brian Glenn in the Oval office. And you know, I'm just kind of waiting. And the way that the press this just this past week has covered Trump bulldozing the East wing of the White House has just been a colossal failure. It has just been an abysmal failure in terms of coverage. It doesn't it has not met the moment for the last nine or ten months. It didn't meet it this past week. And I think that is why people are gravitating the podcasts and independent media, new media and so on.
Speaker 3: They're just like.
Speaker 4: It's just sort of like it's also part.
Speaker 1: Of it is like serious, you can't there is when one party no longer believes in democracy, then how do you say, like one side is bad and the other side wants to give you glasses, wants insurance to pay for glasses. Like I do think that the media is so small right now, Like I don't know where you get that reporting that you need in order to have checks and balances. Like independent media is great. I have a substack. You have a substack. You have a humongous substack. I have a tiny, tiny substack.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to just work.
Speaker 1: I have a little I said a little bit, but but but the point is, like there's a lot of great opinion stuff on substack, but like the reporting is expensive.
Speaker 4: And it's expensive now, and I'm trying to do a little bit more of that. Like I went down to the White.
Speaker 3: House this week. I talk to people about the East Wing coming down.
Speaker 1: Did they chase you out of the park.
Speaker 4: No, I mean they have basically locked down the park and cordoned off and put up so much construction.
Speaker 1: Explain what's happened. So the East wing, the Treasury Department faces the East Wing, and so people who are working in Treasury started posting pictures of the demolition.
Speaker 4: And then the Treasury Department said, we don't want our employees to send out any more pictures, and you know, and then they did it anyway. And I mean, so what I did was I kind of know the grounds and how they work, and where the fences are and the gaps and the fences and stuff. So I knew I had to go to basically the south facing entrance of the Treasury Department, And if you look through a little tiny crack in the fence and hold your iPhone sixteenth up.
Speaker 1: It's like Mosca.
Speaker 4: You consume it all the way and see the destruction of the East Wing. So that's what I did, and talk to some folks down there about you know, it's kind of become a little bit of a dystopian tourist attraction. Molly and that course, they're like, just like regular Americans tourists are on vacation who are going over there to look at the East Wing being torn down and loaded onto dump trucks and cart it out. But they've put up so much fencing and construction barriers and things around the project. They've tried to make it very difficult for people to see what's happening. But they forget the fact that, oh, there are people in the Treasury Department, we take pictures. There's a lady on Twitter last night who posted a picture. She flew over her flight car. She flew over it, and she put out this beautiful picture. It's just so sad. The whole goddamn East Wing is gone.
Speaker 1: It's just dirt, and more importantly than anything, it's not his house to destroy.
Speaker 4: It's not his house to destroy. I talked to a White House historian who was the chief historian for the White House Historical Society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that guy must be fucking is he.
Speaker 5: Mad or is he sad?
Speaker 3: He's so mad and sad.
Speaker 4: He said he calls himself, this guy, Ed Lengele, calls himself a conservative and said that Tom would, Yeah, Thomas Jefferson would be ballistically insane over what Donald Trump has done, and that the founding fathers are getting smacked in the face because they did not want the White House to be a palace. They didn't want it to be a symbol of the aristocracy. This is exactly what Donald Trump pulls up the pictures of President Liberacci's ballroom. That's exactly what he's trying to pull off. And it's just not who we are.
Speaker 1: And I think people, I think it is who we are at this point. I mean that's a difference Trump one point two point oh is one point oh is like, this is not who we are. Two point I was like, Nope, this is who we are.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: And and the fact that you have corporate sponsors like their NASCAR.
Speaker 3: Racing cars, Google Altria.
Speaker 4: I mean you go through the list of the sponsors.
Speaker 1: Pretty bad, pretty seazy.
Speaker 4: It's pretty pretty swampy.
Speaker 1: Coinbase coin coin base coin base me Metaea, I mean meadow.
Speaker 4: Does it get more toxic? I mean, it's it's pretty disgusting.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, I love Meta because have note because they don't give a fuck, right Like they're like they make tobacco companies look like children's charities.
Speaker 3: Basically.
Speaker 4: Yes, for a factoid for people to keep in mind, the existing executive mansion of the White House excluding the East and West wings, is about fifty five thousand square feet. The ballroom is ninety thousand squa. This is going to look like, you know, a back to the future too. Biff whatever his name was, monstrosity. And I mean there are already folks who are saying the next Democratic president who gets in there, if we're allowed to have one again, should just tear the fucking thing down.
Speaker 1: And I also think, like it's not you know, we have to just assume that we are going to have free and fair elections and that we are going to fight to preserve our American democracy. And this will be a very sad blip on the radar screen of what's happening. But I do think like we're going to need to have a real We're gonna need to have a real come to Jesus moment about like anti corruption legislation, and you know it's got.
Speaker 3: To be mixing type era where we just passed laws to.
Speaker 1: Prevent steroids and steroids. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean when Steve Bannon is saying things like, well, he's just going to run again, and the lady with the economist goes, but.
Speaker 3: Isn't that violating the spirits of the twenty second Amendment?
Speaker 1: Now it's like, yes, not even this verit, But you know, like Steve Bannon is saying that, because of course Steve Banner is. If Steve Bannon wasn't saying that, you'd be worried, because, like Steve Bannon knows that the only thing worse for Trump then being a danger to the Constitution, which he isn't give a fuck about, is being a lame duck. So these guys do not want you to think he's the lame duck. But I'm telling you he will be eighty three years old, not all he will be So this time he was the oldest person ever to be president at seventy nine. So now he's going to run again, and he will be four years older than the oldest person ever to be president.
Speaker 4: I tell people though Fidel Castro living to live into his nineties, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So like, you know, but it doesn't. But you know, it's not up.
Speaker 3: People has a long shelf life.
Speaker 1: Sadly, it's not up to him. It's not up to him. It's not up to him. It's up to us, the American people. And like we have our norms and institutions and we have to we have to keep going.
Speaker 4: And that's what gives you were saying earlier, like be optimistic, and I you know, I'm optimistic too, because I think that Donald Trump, as he went out with the bang last time, is going to go out with the boon this time, and he is going to get people so pissed off and so fired up that we will see a voter's revolt in this country. And you just have to hold out hope for that.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I think we're there. It's just a question of like do we we need to make sure those people get to the polls free, fair, safe elections, and that's what we're going to see. But I'm telling you we are in Like you know, one point, oh was like we're in historic times. Two point zero is like we're in fucking whatever this is, man, Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean this is like, you know, this is the Mad Max sequel of our democracy.
Speaker 1: And we are going to have Thunderdome time, you know, Fury Road.
Speaker 4: We're going to have to drive through the bad guys and fight the bad guys and get past the bad guys to get to the green place. And I just you know, I think that people need to steal themselves for what is likely to be a long struggle. And he is going to and he's already beginning to do this, become very desperate and try to concoct ways to prevent what he knows is coming from happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, No, he doesn't want to face an investigation because he knows that he's going to go to jail, just like Elon mush Mush so all in on this presidency because he knew that otherwise he'd be in big trouble.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen the Epstein files, by the way. I'm just going to say, like, you know, there's that thing's on the horizon too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, correct, Jim Acosta, good to see you. Congressman Jared Moscow Itz represents Florida's twenty third district. Congressman Jared Yes, I'm here. Welcome to fast politics.
Speaker 5: How are you doing?
Speaker 1: You know, how's your vacation, Ben Well?
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm semi retired.
Speaker 1: Tell us how long have you guys been out obsession?
Speaker 5: Oh? I think we've worked like nineteen days in the last you know, like three months. It's some crazy number. And this is being done intentional. This is how you extend the shutdown. This is how you cause pain. In the past, we would all be stuck in Washington, away from our families, which would force a deal. We would be miserable, we would want to leave. It would force the deal so we could go home. The American people would benefit. And now by sending us home, what they're doing is they want us home, They want us comfortable. Right. They don't want us near the TV cameras, they don't want us talking to each other. Right to build a coalition to solve the problem. This is all intentional by Mike Johnson. And as an added bonus, we don't get the vote on releasing the Epstein files, so.
Speaker 1: How much of this is about Like he won't swear in Alita Garhalva.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's all about the Epstein files. That's one hundred percent about the Epstein files, and I love it. James Comer came out a couple days ago.
Speaker 1: Remind us who James Comer is besides being your mortal eneme.
Speaker 5: So James is a dear friend of mine and we've been close for a while now and I'm very proud of him. He happens to be the chairman of Oversight, which has been a great gig for him. It's worked out beautifully.
Speaker 1: He's not known to be a scholar.
Speaker 5: Well, no, look, James is calm, he's collected. He keeps it classy all the time. That's what I love about him. Quite frankly, there's.
Speaker 1: A response to the fact that he has many times called you a smurf.
Speaker 5: Well, look, I think his vernacular is a little different, and that's fine. We have a big tent, Molly, right. We got to allow people to express themselves in different ways. But yeah, you have the press conference the other day. He read the entire thing because he can read it a ninth grade level, which is good. And he basically said he's looked at the Epstein files and Trump's not in them. But Bill Clinton is in them. And so I say to my Republican friends, Okay, great news. If that's the case, then release the files. What are you protecting Bill Clinton? Now? So the White House, the Republicans in the House, the Republicans in the Senate.
Speaker 1: That is amazing too, because there's been reporting that said the FBI had one hundred people redacting Trump's name from the Epstein files.
Speaker 5: Well, look, if he's not in them, Okay, if he's not in the Epstein files, then they can release him like they're protecting Bill Clinton. Now, that's what the House, in the Senate and is all the threats, all of the political capital. Look at the political capital they have spent on this, all to protect Bill Clinton. Okay, James, I take James at his word. We've always taken James at his word. He is the face of truth. And so if what he is saying is accurate that Trump is not in him, then released the files. Let's get ready.
Speaker 1: He is seeing Trump's in the files.
Speaker 5: Oh. I think Trump is definitely in the files. Whether there's anything illegal, I think probably not, because I do think that probably would have come out. But there is definitely stuff in there that is thoroughly embarrassing maybe pictures, okay, and he just doesn't want it out there because he doesn't want to be embarrassed by it. I also think Molly in fairness, there are lots of people probably in there. Some of them may be on the Democratics Guide, all.
Speaker 1: Of them pieces of SHD.
Speaker 5: High net worth individuals. But remember they were the one, I mean literally the FBI director okay, and the second in command at the FBI. Both of them got their positions Cash Bettel, Dan Bongino. They both got their positions on the Epstein issue. They can't paignt on the Epstein issue. They got in there, and then it's like nothing to see what listen. That's why I said a cash hotel in the hearing when that picture came out of the body and the writing with Trump's signature, and they were like, that's not his signature. And then there were hundreds of documents that showed the same signature. And then they were like, well, Trump doesn't really doodle or draw. And then they were like, oh, there's hundreds of them at auction that are his doodles and drugs. He's actually a decent dudelerb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he draws pretty well, let us take a moment to pour one out.
Speaker 5: We don't like to give him any credit, but let's take a moment. Kind of an artist. And I said to myself, We'll wait a second. This is the guy that had sued the Post, sued the Times, sued the Wall Street Journal, suit ABC, NBC. Right, and the Epstein estate puts out this document that he says it's a forgery of his signature and a complete forgery. And they don't sue the Epstein estate, The FBI doesn't open up an investigation. What I took in that was they didn't want to do that because then we would confirm that that document is indeed real.
Speaker 1: I mean, the other reason why you would think it would be true was because now Glaine Maxwell is in basically the chicest prison.
Speaker 5: What are you talking about, Molly, Well, hold on a second, I got to correct you on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a camp, it's not a prison, right, oh?
Speaker 5: Old, Then why are you suspicious at all? That Trump's former personal attorney who is second at command at the OJ.
Speaker 1: Todd Blanche For those keeping track at home, he.
Speaker 5: Went down to meet Glane right as one does, as one does, and by one does I mean, never in the history of America has deputy Attorney general gone to a prison to meet with someone. But as one does, Trump's former personal attorney goes to meet with Glane. That's a statement from Glane in the transcript that said, oh, she doesn't remember Trump ever being around. Oh and then within twenty four hours she's transferred. Were you think that's suspicious? I don't know. It looks above bored to meet Molly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Jesse wants to talk about the shutdown. He's bored with the Epstein files, but the shutdown is caught. The Epstein files sort of caused the shutdown in some weird way.
Speaker 5: The Epstein thing is a piece. It's like, you want to know why Congress is not there? That's the Epstein piece. It didn't cause the shutdown, but it is why Johnson will not bring us back to Washington, which is extending the shutdown.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the shut down. We are like on the precipice of bad shit. So November one, premiums go way up in a bunch of different states, Nevada, et cetera. Then also we have food stamps run out. These are big things. It depends on the state, depends on what we had wick. They found some money for WICK, by the way, probably illegal, but who's going to complain because it's women and infinite assistance. And forty percent of American children are on WICK, which is absolutely insane number. Right, Like forty percent of this country qualifies for food so their babies don't starve. Richest country in the world. But talk us through the sort of like there are a lot of really scary deadlines happening soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and look, it's why when they're like, go Democrats shut down the government. That's not the case at all. I voted against a cr that didn't have the requisite funding for healthcare. Okay, we've been talking about the fact that the money on these subsidies was running out. Okay, this was well known to Republicans, well known difference, and there's a bipartisan coalition many in fact, to extend the subsidies so that Americans' health care costs do not rise. We were saying we need to do that now, okay, and Republicans were saying nothing. Okay, you know, I know, Republicans all of a sudden like pretend to be holier than now on on healthcare. But to be clear, they have only been against stuff. They've never been for anything. They're still in the concept of a planned stage. They've been there since two thousand and eight. There's no plan. There is no draft of a plan. I would say to Speaker Mike Johnson, if you don't like our extension of the subsidies, put your plan forward and how to lower people's health care costs for a vote, Mike, not going topend because there's no plan. They've never done it, remember, and that's why it's still in You know, this is a product that's never coming to market, Malli. But right now, if they just took the CR with the extension of the subsidies, it would pass. It would reopen government and people's health care costs would stay the same or they would go down. Now you might say to me Moley, hold on, Jared, we're thirty eight trillion dollars in debt, a lot of it put on by Trump. We can't afford that. And I would say, well, we need thirty billion dollars for the subsidies. Trump just sent forty billion to Argentina. Right, Congress did not take a vote on so maybe that money should have been used for people's healthcare rather than going to prop up the economy of Argentina and the beef market in Argentina, which the American farmers are unhappy with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you don't get to cuos in an autocracy.
Speaker 5: Well, and if you want to know how broken things are in Washington in general, right, I want to give you two dichotomies. Obviously, we want the war in the middies to end. Everyone wants that to come to an end. But Trump literally made a deal with a maas with great we wanted the hostages out make a deal. I supported the deal that he made with the moss but he's not willing to make a deal with Democrats on healthcare. Like that is how bad things are that it's easier to sit down with terrorists and get a deal than it is with the other political party and bring down the premiums for people's health insurance. Do the right thing, help American citizens, not illegals, not the bullshit that they were spreading, which they don't say anymore because the American people didn't buy it because it was a lie. Okay, I got twenty five thousand people just in my district that immediately lose their health insurance when those subsidies stop, and then they have another one hundred thousand people whose insurance will immediately increase, they'll go for lower coverage, and then that cost will get pushed off the hospitals and then still on the American tax pair.
Speaker 1: Of course. So Democrats not in the majority, so don't have power really.
Speaker 5: Oh, you mean like the Republicans control of the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was saying. So like Mike Johnson serves at the pleasure of Donald Trump, so basically doesn't do anything.
Speaker 5: Yes, the speaker gets the costplay a speaker when he's allowed to.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean Thomas Massey clearly furious anyone else. Marjorie Taylor Green sometimes sort.
Speaker 5: Of look at what we got going on, the misfit toys that we have to deal with over there. Marjorie Taylor Green, who one week wants a civil war and a national divorce and wants to split up the Union, and the other week is like, Democrats are right, you need to extend the subsidies. So it's like, you know, that's how that's how fucked up things are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's basically the most with it Republican.
Speaker 5: But she's also doing it because she's mad at the President because the President wouldn't endorse her for Senate. So she's like, now I'm just going to be against him on anything.
Speaker 1: But that is fine. However you get there's fine.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, listen. And Trump has launched the war on Thomas Massey. So Massey is responding in kind, and so, yeah, look in a very divided Congress where Republicans only have a small majority, Yeah, we'll take them where we can get them, Yeah, onered percent.
Speaker 1: Is there any effort to try to flip one or two of these Republicans?
Speaker 5: We don't have to flip them. We have them. The problem is the speaker won't put it on the floor mid right, Like, if the speaker were to put healthcare on the floor, it passes, but he won't put it on the floor.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't matter. If you put it on the floor and it passes, it still dies. In the Senate.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know. That's where the president has tremendous power. If the President came out tomorrow in Trump fashion and said I'm going to lower your health care it's now called trump Care, right, and he told Johnson to put the thirty billion dollars in the Trump Care. Okay, told soon to put the thirty billion dollars the Trump Care and we're going to open the government.
Speaker 1: They would do it, yeah, of course, but Donald Trump doesn't want to do it. For today, he doesn't want to do it. You think he caves and does it. I don't think so. But what do you think?
Speaker 5: Well? I think the shutdown goes to Thanksgiving. I think we're going to miss see more pain. I think traveling is going to become very difficult as more people who work at the FAA and TSA continue to miss paychecks. I mean, how sad a state of affairs is that our federal workers miss one paycheck and they're in breadlines. I mean, the state of Virginia declared a state of emergency over this.
Speaker 1: It seems as if they won't compromise on Hell'scare.
Speaker 5: It's gonna get worse before it gets better. How it gets better, I do not know. I do not know the end. No side wants to capitulate. The Democrats are willing to make a deal, Okay, that is true. The Republicans, which have not made a deal with US at all for ten months feel like we still don't need to make a deal with these people. But again, and if they have a mandate, then then go solve it on your own. You told the American people you had a mandate, solve it on your own. Then now there is a possibility that they could change the filibuster rules and do this on their own. They would screw the American people. They would cause a terrible precedent in the Senate. But I do think the White House could do that because the White House could start pressuring senators to do that, and then the Republican senators because they want to serve in a Senate that doesn't resemble the House, which is what the filibuster does. If you get rid of all of that, then basically the Senate is the House majority rules. At the end of the day, you know, they'll have to decide whether they want to protect the institution or if they're going to cave. I do think that becomes a more viable alternative for Republicans the long way this goes on. Think about that again, they're willing to continue to break institutions then make a deal with Democrats on health insurance.
Speaker 1: But part of it, too is that there's also a world and where there are Democrats in the Senate who might cave.
Speaker 5: Well, we had a couple join them in the very beginning, and that number has not grown. There are a couple of the other day that voted obviously to pay federal workers in the military. But so far Republicans have had no shot at building a bipartisan coalition on their side, because what are they selling, Molly, the promise that we'll have a vote. I mean, listen, they have broken a lot of promises to the American people, right I'm in Florida, Okay. I mean Trump made a lot of promises to the Cuban community, to the Venezuelan community, to the Haitian community on TPS. Okay, during the campaign and broke that promise.
Speaker 1: Will you explain to us since you brought this up and I'm interested in this. Are Latino voters who really did cut for Trump, or at least moved towards Trump in ways that we did not see as possible. Are they having regret as Trump scoops up all their neighbors.
Speaker 5: Well, just like everything else, it's all partisan, and so I do think in certain pockets there are regret. They bought into the it's just going to be the criminals. And as we know, we haven't even gotten all the criminals, and we're going after your you know, families.
Speaker 1: Right, of course, this was never about the park.
Speaker 5: And then obviously that starts hurting the hospitality industry, it starts hurting the farming industry, which is why you started hearing Trump talking about well if they've worked for the farmer for a long period of time, Well, I didn't know that that was an exception to our immigration laws. So they've created a mess. Christy Gnome is a disaster. I gotta be honest. I don't know much longer.
Speaker 1: She stays, Wait, why she has got just got two planes? Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know, good for her?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I mean who likes to fly commercial?
Speaker 5: Honestly, like I've always believed, there are still a couple things that are by partisan left, and puppies are one of them. And I just don't think you can shoot a puppy in the face and get away with it.
Speaker 1: How would she leave? Because these people have no shame? So what do you think happens?
Speaker 5: Oh? I don't, I don't know. I don't need to figure out people's Edgit strategy. I don't know. Yes, yes, they run for something, or they get a promotion like don.
Speaker 1: Ji and Your's girlfriend, they get a promotion.
Speaker 5: I think they'll be changes I Homeland at some point because I just don't the number show Trump. You know, when he came into office, his immigration numbers were through the roof, and the fact that those have now leveled off and were almost even in a lot of cases, he's underwater ran people don't like it, which what it tells you is that they believed in his policy, but they did the execution, okay, has changed people's mind on that. Well, that execution was done by Christy Nom. Don't forget that we went into what was it a Handai facility and that caused an international firestorm.
Speaker 1: With South Korea and they just and also infuriated Brian Kemp, the governor who had worked really hard to bring this investment from South Korea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly right. And so I think the answer is in Florida, you will see change in pockets. There's no doubt about that. But again, like you know, Joe Biden has a really good quote. It's you know, don't judge me against the almighty, judge me against the alternative. Yeah, they might agree with us more now on this issue, but are they willing to vote our way? Well, that's just going to depend on the product that we put up, the person we put up, because at the end of the day, they're gonna we're running against somebody else.
Speaker 1: Right, That is a good point.
Speaker 5: But you can see the numbers in Dade County have moved. In Dade County, the numbers have completely moved on Trump as a result of this issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what it is. Jared Moscottz, thank you friend. Thanks Molly, no moment, perfectly, Jesse Cannon.
Speaker 2: Molly Jung fast.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I like to be a person who watches Steve Bannett, even though I don't really want to look at his fashion style. And I think it's important because Bannon is often the whisper to those who are making policy. The way he's talking here is pretty disturbing.
Speaker 1: Steve Bannon has said this again and again and again. He's been saying that Donald Trump is going to be president in twenty twenty eight, that'll run for a third term. The constitution says he can't. The man will be eighty three. He'll try. Donald Trump will try to do anything he can, and that's why people have to stand up to him and tell him no. I think that the reason why Steve Bannon keeps doing this is twofold. This helps them, right, they don't want Trump to be a lame day because they feel like that reduces his power. So he's of course going to say that he's going to run. And then the other reason is because these guys they don't want democracy. And you know, if people are upset, they'll say, well, we're just trolling. So this fits the pattern of what they do. And I would have been shocked if they were like, well, he's constitutionally limited from a third term. Trump is going to try all the stuff. And look, maybe this is deep Bannon trying to increase Trump's power so he doesn't look like a lame duck, or you know, maybe this is some other thing. Maybe this is Bannon trying to get back in good graces with Trump. I mean, there's all sorts of reasons to think that Steve Bannon is serving the Steep Bannon agenda.
Speaker 2: I mean, he does say there is a plan in place, which I do believe. I don't know that they can get that put across because these people are.
Speaker 1: Morons, thank God.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do believe that they probably are plotting to prop him up, as he looks like a drained ever Palpatine at eighty three years old.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.