Speaker 1: What's that at the bed spooky a juky. I'm really sure it's dead. He's coming this way. Wait a minute, I los Nandas. Please hey boo, it's me Roz and welcome to Ghosted by Roz Hernandez, the podcast where I talk to people that I like about the paranormal. Bridger Wineger is back on the show this week. You, of course know him from the Exactly Right podcast. I said, no gifts. We do get into a story that has a very tragic death, and I tried to sort of, you know, not put too much emphasis. I know this podcast is not like a murdery kind of show, so if that's not your thing, it's only like we talk about it just a little bit because it is a part of the story. I had to put it in there, but we mainly focus on a story that involves telekinetic powers. It's a good episode you'll enjoy. I think. Before we get into that episode, I wanted to tell you that I am about to hit the road doing non ghost related stand up comedy. I am also working on new YouTube content, and I am working on hotels that I'm going to be ghost hunting at. It's expensive for me to make these videos and time consuming, so I'm not gonna say any deadlines or any dates of when they're gonna come out, but I am working on them, so just know that. But the stand up tour I'm doing, which is at mainly gay bars, I'm so excited about, and I'm going to so many cities. I mean, at the time of recording this, I've probably added way more cities, and I've probably even added your city. Some of the ones I haven't added, I've tried and it just didn't work out. I've tried everywhere, but as of right now, here's where I'm going. I'll fire them off for you quickly, starting April eleventh, Sacramento, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, San Diego, Phoenix, Tucson, Colorado, Springs, Boise, Detroit, Buffalo, Norwalk, Connecticut, Keene, New Hampshire, Boston, Instown, Morgantown, West Virginia, Allentown, Pennsylvania, Portland. I'm doing two shows in Portland because you You're always so nice to me up there, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Chicago, finally des Moine, Oklahoma City, Asheville, North Carolina, Atlanta, Mobile, Alabama, New Orleans, and hopefully by now I have added Florida and Texas states and probably even more. And you get all those tickets at roz Hernandez tour dot com. Hopefully I'll see you there. Okay, here we go. Let's talk about some paranormal stuff. Here's my latest conversation with Bridger Winecker and with the show said gifts, Bridger wine.
Speaker 2: Girl, can I start talking?
Speaker 1: Would you bring me?
Speaker 2: I didn't bring anything, but I came to the office to get a baby Bell cheese.
Speaker 1: Oh baby Bell cheese. They had those here. They've got They've got everything here at exactly right studios.
Speaker 2: I just went through the snack closet. They've updated. It feels like.
Speaker 1: Oh God, keep me out of there. I get into trouble in there.
Speaker 2: I feel like they've they've turned it into more of a thing for adults. Before it felt more like like the vending machines we had in middle school. Okay, did you have vending machines in your middle school?
Speaker 1: I know I did in high school. I remember when I was in high school, they tried to do like, we're gonna have a healthy vending machine. But I don't think we did in middle school. I went to Catholic school. Oh, Okay, okay, I just went to simply public school, so okay, you know, from seventh till ninth grade, I would just buy a little package of mother's cookies for lunch every day. Oh so nice. I struggle with being an adult because I can do that now if I want to, well.
Speaker 2: Just go to the vending machine and get some cookies.
Speaker 1: Yes, like that's an option now, Like I don't have anyone to be like, no, you need to eat a real meal.
Speaker 2: Now in your house, do you have a bunch of that type of snack or.
Speaker 1: Do I try not to? But sometimes i'm by.
Speaker 2: And what things do you bring into the home? What do I bring into the home that's bad? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Man, I bring a gummy bears are a big so.
Speaker 2: Our gummy worms for me I can't have at my house.
Speaker 1: I have overcome my doughnut problem, which sometimes I still if I go, like to stay at a haunted place or I'm really stressed, I bring donuts just to be safe.
Speaker 2: I think that's okay to have a little comfort.
Speaker 1: Just to have in case you need it, because there's something about the I don't know. I'm a big chewer, so when I'm scared, I like to chew. I'm very very mouthy.
Speaker 2: What about gum?
Speaker 1: Yeah, gum, gum. Gum's good. So we're here to talk about ghosts.
Speaker 2: I'm here to talk about gum.
Speaker 1: So if we could just unfortunately side of your pod podcast love gum. But the people that come here come here for one reason only.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: So you've been on, We've heard your stories. Don't you worry.
Speaker 2: I've prepared a little bit for us. Yeah, I mean, the last less you have new stuff. I mean, the last time I was here, I brought you my one kind of supernatural paranormal story that I had told you wasn't scary. So the fact that my even my one story wasn't scary, I was a little nervous about coming here today.
Speaker 1: You know, it doesn't always have to be scary.
Speaker 2: But I think people prefer a scary I think.
Speaker 1: They probably do, But I just ignore when I hear people comment that, Yeah, I think it's just all about the unexplainable, the unknowable. The unknowable, I mean, and the ponder that's my favorite word, is just pondering.
Speaker 2: Ponder is a good word.
Speaker 1: It's just a ponderous.
Speaker 2: I think that kind of falls in the category of my favorite word tail and all where it's just like those hard those consonants that are very I don't know, solid ponder tail.
Speaker 1: And all ponder ponder. So have you been pondering the paranormal?
Speaker 2: Last night? I was in preparation for this, which you do. I found a three hour compilation of the At some point in the night, there was a docu. I don't think they call them docuseries in the nineties, right, we're what were we calling these things? News out of things like uh, unsolved mysteries and things like that.
Speaker 1: Ah love, but Sightings. I had never heard of Sightings, and.
Speaker 2: I think it must have been on Sci Fi Channel or one of these things that we didn't have cable as a kid.
Speaker 1: Let's look it up. Sightings was great. Yeah, I loved Did you find this on YouTube?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some good episodes. I think we've covered a story or two from there. But maybe I need to get into Sightings a little bit more for some content. So Sightings, according to Wikipedia, is an American paranormal and news televisions. It's just like this show. It first aired in the nineteen nineties. The show began in nineteen ninety one as a special that was titled the uf OH Report Colon Sightings. It was followed by the follow up reports Ghost Report and the Psychic Experience OH. It was produced by Paramount for Fox TV. It feels very Fox to me.
Speaker 2: Fox I think kind of had a stranglehold on all of those, wasn't I feel like Unsolved Mysteries was a Fox show, America's most wanted anything that my parents would leave on a Friday night and then we would just be terrified watching.
Speaker 1: Did you ever watch the Masked Magician? No?
Speaker 2: What was that? Oh?
Speaker 1: This piece of shit? Oh, this fucking asshole. Okay, so this man was a professional magician, you know how, Like the one thing with magicians is you don't tell the secret. Sure, that's not what this was. This man put a mask on like a and sold out the entire linear of magicians for a paycheck. And they would do multiple specials in like the nineties, two thousands. Asked Magician, he would show you how they cut a lady in half and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Just puts a paper bag over his head and tells you how David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty dis all of that. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: What an asshole.
Speaker 2: So he was like a former magician who was probably bitter, probably and was like, well, I can't make it as a real magician, so I'm just going to He's like.
Speaker 1: No one will know it's me. And now, like you know, everyone that watched it, they go to the show and they're like, I know how that was done. That's not real. So that's why it's just like.
Speaker 2: Has to hold his breath for a long time now because you can't do the tricks.
Speaker 1: No, they yeah, you nowadays you just have to straight up like put a plastic bag over your head and hope for the best. And that's what we're calling magic stunts. Yes, stunts. Yeah, so sightings, you watch Sightings. I know that there are episodes on YouTube and I have watched them before. There's a couple of great ones I've seen. I want to say, there's a really good one. Oh wait, because there's also a show called Encounters.
Speaker 2: Oh now, see, this is another thing I could get into.
Speaker 1: Encounters just confusing.
Speaker 2: Encounter sounds like a dating website.
Speaker 1: It really does. But Encounters was also on Fox. And see that's the thing. You know what, I blame a lot of this on the X Files.
Speaker 2: You think the X Files spawned these ort or they like had to stop because of the X File.
Speaker 1: Now, I think the X Files really brought an interest in the nineties. Oh, there was also a famous alien autopsy that they showed in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Kind of on Everything, Right.
Speaker 1: I think that was a fox but it was such a big event that of course was fake, right.
Speaker 2: And my exposure to that was Entertainment Tonight, because I remember the report on the special, yes, and so I don't think I ever actually saw the special, but I saw Entertainment Tonight kind of hyping it.
Speaker 1: Alien Autopsy fact or Fiction is a nineteen ninety five pseudo documentary containing grainy black and white footage. I'll be hoaxed. Alien Autopsy. They were playing it like it was real.
Speaker 2: Right, Sure, at the time it seemed like there was real, Like they were not going to kind of commit one way or the other as to whether it was real or not.
Speaker 1: Sure, I don't like that.
Speaker 2: But obviously, how are they airing that without just saying this is simply not true.
Speaker 1: Because then people won't watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's got to be some someone's got to be held responsible.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why you say it. We're not saying it's not real it's or is it?
Speaker 2: Did they say where it originated from the footage?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, the alien autopsy? So in nineteen eighty five. Let's see here, it's a film purporting to show an alien autopsy conducted shortly after the Roswell incident. Roz, I'm so curious. So are you reading from Wikipedia? Are you just still from Mary? Yeah? Still Wikipedia? Here. The footage aired on television networks around the world. Fox Television broadcast and purported autopsy, hosted by Jonathan Frikes.
Speaker 2: Last we've heard of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened to Jonathan Frikes? I think this the pseudo documentary happened to him. The program was thoroughly debunked. Now. The footage was shot on an inexpensive set constructed in a London living room.
Speaker 2: Living room.
Speaker 1: It's alien bodies were hollow plaster casts filled with Oh fal what the hell is that?
Speaker 2: That's like intestines and stuff, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Organ meats, sheep brains and raspberry jam. Kind of a hagis people were so fucking stupid when we were younger, and but in a way that I miss.
Speaker 2: I know, wouldn't it be nice to have a little bit more of that mystery.
Speaker 1: Because there wasn't as much internet and stuff to say, Okay, that's here's how they did it. We did immediately.
Speaker 2: Yes, back then you would have to wait a few months for like the reporting to be done for it to make its way to TV. And now while it's airing, people are debunking it.
Speaker 1: God, the good old days. Well, this actually kind of reminds me of what I have prepared for us to talk about today. But I'm curious, what was there anything that stood out to you in your in your watching last time?
Speaker 2: I watched two different ghost stories. One while the first one was more interesting, it was about a family that moved. I don't know, I can't be responsible for knowing where people move somewhere in the Midwest into a motel house. The uh it was going for sixty thousand dollars and apparently they offered that much and then bought it for twenty four thousand dollars, so that I think that was the first red flaoh ghee. And they were all being haunted, they were all being bitten. Something was biting them in the night. And this woman said she woke up and her baby was standing on her chest holding a butcher knife.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's just you have a horrible baby. I know your baby's biting you and trying to kill you. That's not a ghost motel house.
Speaker 2: But they brought in a of course, they had a para psychologist's name, course, he had an incredible name. I think his name was Peter Moscow, Doctor Peter Moscow, and he came in and just confirmed that something dark was happening. That's as far as he would go. Apparently someone had there had been a suicide murder of a daughter that was mean to her father, and these people were just kind of trapped with this hotel house. They tried to move out, but I guess all of their savings were wrapped up and so they had to move back in and just kind of and that's kind of where the show left off. I guess they just got stuck with a bad house. Whatever happens to those people probably more bites. That's the thing about watching these old shows is it's fascinating because the follow ups that you don't get from me or whatever, you know, like you're just like, okay, yeah, it's just left of your imagination. Who else is going to follow up on that? I guess, so that family could all be dead by Now. What was the other ghost story? The other one was about a it was called the Seven Seas Motel or hotel in Hawaii that was built on I think what was later found to be a burial ground or a classic of course, and it was destroyed by they said, a hurricane, which I wasn't aware that Hawaii got herhurricanes. Don't they classify those as typhoons in the Pacific Ocean?
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 2: But according to sightings, a hurricane destroyed it, and they discovered that there were bones buried beneath it that then had to be taken out and taken care of in the traditional way. And they spoke to one chef who seemed to know from the very beginning that this place was doomed. She seemed really upset that any of this was going on, and she seemed kind of like she felt like they got what was coming. Oh, I think she was kind of happy, maybe a bitter ex employee.
Speaker 1: I see, She's like, that's why you don't fucking do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one was less. It didn't feel it was like a natural disaster had destroyed it. So it wasn't there wasn't as much showth started. I think maybe there must have been some sort of ghostiness happening before the hurricane destroyed it, because otherwise and then they find the bones. Then they find the bones and say, well, this is why it happened. But so it was that one was less interesting to me. It felt like there was less eeriness.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting that you watched this last night, because what I prepared for us today, there's an unsolved mysteries element to it. From there's a eighties nineties element to it. There's also parapsychology, which parapsychology you don't hear about it ever anymore, but that was there was always a parapsychologist in the nineties, huge demand for them. Yes, they were really that was a big job in the nineties.
Speaker 2: If you told your parents of the nineties that's what you were going to study, they probably thought, great.
Speaker 1: Oh wonderful, a doctor's a future. Yeah exactly, mom, Dad, I just I'm marrying a parapsychologist. They would have been like, Wow, that means he's gonna be on TV all the time. That's great. Okay. So this one also, I you know, I don't I never want to to step on other people's toes. But it does get a little bit my favorite murdery.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, then let's go all in and try to take over the network.
Speaker 1: With this one. It gets really sad for a minute, as often it does with the paranormal. Sure, but it starts so fun. It starts with the line, it starts good. So I watched this ABC News three parter okay on Hulu called Demons and Saviors. Oh I like this, Yeah, And honestly, I had no clue where it was going when I started it, because of one or the other. I didn't know. Yes, I didn't know if it was just going to be demons or saviors. I didn't know necessarily that I was getting into a murder.
Speaker 2: Right. You usually kind of assume that, like the deaths happen a long time ago, you're not going to get a sad tragedy.
Speaker 1: Well, this one is fascinating because let's just get into it. So nineteen eighty four, okay, Columbus, Ohio. Okay, a place I believe I'm making a stop on my upcoming tour.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, this woman, well young girl at the time, Christina Boyer, who at the time was known as Tina Rush. Oh okay, so something has happened foreshadowing. You pick up on these things. That's why we have you here. So there's this family. It's Joan and John okay, rash Joan and John and John. So Joan and John they adopted Tina when she was two years old?
Speaker 2: Did they adopt her as Tina?
Speaker 1: That's very mommy dearest, that I don't know. I'm I am assuming since she was two she already had that name. Soh you know, everything is fine. It does seem like Joan and John are not great parents, but she had a rough beginning, and you know, they have her in their custody. So when she's fourteen years old is when things first started happening. She says that she wakes up in the morning and she hears an alarm clock that's just going crazy, like her alarm clock is going nuts. She unplugs it. That doesn't help. She goes downstairs. She turns on the TV and the volume is just blasting. Oh boy, and the channels are changing by themselves. Okay. The mom unplugs it, Joan and it keeps playing, So that must mean something's going on. The lights are going on and off, glasses are flying across the room. Things like just instantly one morning started going crazy, absolute tornado of things happening. It's not just one subtle thing exactly. And so naturally her parents, who were religious, they called an exorcist and they were like, something's going on with with Tina.
Speaker 2: Oh. They immediately said, this is Tina's fault.
Speaker 1: It seemed to be centered around her. It only this stuff started happening all the time, but only when she was home. Okay, okay, So imagine you're sitting the mom and dad, Joan and John there with their coffee and newspaper at the table, and then all of a sudden she walks in. They're like, God, here's.
Speaker 2: The evil orphan again.
Speaker 1: Here we go. Things are going to start flying. The exorcist shows up, the priest, he does his darn dust and he said the quote was there are some things we cannot understand, and then he left. He said I can't wow, he was he gave up. Yeah, he said, this is above my pay grade. So this is when they call the Columbus Dispatch newspaper, which you know, this is always that part of the story where it starts going public. They send over a photographer and they actually captured this kind of iconic photo of this. It's probably the most famous photo of this case where she is sitting and a phone flew across her lap. Oh, it just like flew over her lap. Gee, how could you show us that photo? Please? This is from the Columbus Dispatch. If you're just listening, you can just google Tina Rash and you'll see this picture. That is actually I didn't notice that they do have multiultiple phones.
Speaker 2: This phone looks like it crawled along the carpet and jumped over the sheet.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Well, this is back in the days when we had the rotary, you know, the connected to the wall. Laura Curly Q's she's having a blast. Well, I think she was happy because it was getting documented and she's she's even said, like you can tell from this photo, I did not throw it. It's flying across my lap and she's just sitting there as it's happening. I love like the wood paneling on.
Speaker 2: The wall in the blanket behind her blank Yeah, Blant, I actually think I have a blanket very similar to that.
Speaker 1: It's sort of Roseanne's family completely the Connors.
Speaker 2: Just in front of a live studio audience.
Speaker 1: It really is anyway, So there was some some good documented evidence right there.
Speaker 2: That's an amazing It really is an amazing photo. That's like, that's a very good looking picture.
Speaker 1: Does it convince you that she didn't do this?
Speaker 2: I mean the way her arms are, her face, I think does not look like an acting face.
Speaker 1: You know, it looks Let's try. Do we have something that we can throw and.
Speaker 2: See if you can?
Speaker 1: You can fold your arms like that? Okay?
Speaker 2: So I mean her arms are headed in the direction of if you were to throw the phone.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's true, But I can try with this water. Oh shit, Okay, what do you think that was really good? Ah? Fuck?
Speaker 2: Okay, Now I feel like to me, her face is telling me that's not a trained performer. That's somebody who something has happened. She's not making that face on her own.
Speaker 1: She's shocked. Okay, well, we're still having fun with this story. While at last, because turn so she was bullied at school, kids would sing the Twilight Zone song to her at her After this became news, people would throw her down the stairs and tell her to fly.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: A parapsychologist reached out named William Roll okay, And he was from North Carolina at the famous parapsychology lab there at the college the university, and he became a big part of her life. And he moved in and started studying her. Oh interest, so he could just be around this twenty four to seven, and he believed this was not necessarily spooky. It was more that she just had these electric charges.
Speaker 2: Oh but to me, that says she's kind of a supernatural for sure.
Speaker 1: But it's not like a demon thing right where her parents were not fully convinced.
Speaker 2: They were nothing evil happening.
Speaker 1: It's just it's like.
Speaker 2: She's kind of like an x.
Speaker 1: A talent person. It's a it's like some kind of talent. But it's like what I don't know what you call it is an ability, it's a star. Some people are double jointed. Sure, some people can move phones across their lap. She later found out that when she was a baby, she was sick and her parents abandoned her at the hospital. She was later reunited with her biological sister and who has said in actually, in this TV documentary, they interview her biological sister, who says that her family were wiccan. Her grandmother and her mother could move things with their mind. Oh isn't this interesting? Okay, so there's a lineage. Yeah, apparently the TV would turn on if the mom was mad, you know, things like that. Actually, in the documentary, the sister shows a picture of Tina's biological mother that it's like a caricature. It looks like very like boardwalk caricature of the mother, and it's on the wall and she's like, this thing. I come home all the time. It's always turned, it falls on the ground. It's interesting, but it's like she got it done at the fair or something. It's like, yeah, but it's the mother who's I'm assuming dad. Now that's the only picture they have of her. Oh god, something they got us six flex. I know that's sad. I hope that's not true. But you know, there was a lot of trouble with that original family. But nonetheless they had these abilities, and I think that's that is pretty validating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to poll members of the family, but the sister doesn't, but.
Speaker 1: She believes it. I don't believe the sister has that ability, which I think gives some credibility because she could be a very logical person.
Speaker 2: She's not claiming to have any of this, but she's saying, look, I've noticed it with the other family.
Speaker 1: Members totally, and this is just you know, this is her blood family, and and you know, people will tell you that this kind of a thing is hereditary rights it okay. So her adoptive family, Jonah John, according to her, were abusive. They caused a lot of stress and trauma and this can trigger this sort of thing, right, they say, you know, this sort of poltergeisty activity. Usually the theories you know, most commonly teenage girls, lots of stress, whatever. So I don't know, sounds convincing. Have you ever heard of the amazing Randy Yes?
Speaker 2: Why have I heard of that?
Speaker 1: Every once in a while he comes up on this podcast and I'm obsessed with him. He would wear a cape and he died only like maybe two or three years ago. But he was a famous debunker.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And he would offer people like this that were getting a lot of press a million dollar check and you know, if you can prove it, I'll give you a million dollars. And he never gave anybody a million dollars. But he showed up and Joan the mom was like, get the fuck out of here and she didn't even let him in. Oh yeah, what does that say. I don't know, it's very you could argue either. Well, so after they said amazing, Randy away, they are like, we need to have a press conference. We need to just talk about this and show once and for all that it's real.
Speaker 2: Get it all out.
Speaker 1: They invite over the media. They sit there for nine hours and nothing happened.
Speaker 2: Imagine being part of the media for that nine hours. Exhausting.
Speaker 1: Now here's this is where things. This is not quite the dark part yet, but this is a part that's not not a cute look. So they're like, okay, we need to take a break, we need to go get a snack. So some of the camera crew leave a camera rolling.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, smart.
Speaker 1: They leave the room as Tina's on the couch and they capture her on film pushing over a lamp and acting like it was a ghost.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Tina, I mean, just on Tina's side here. Maybe she was feeling a lot of pressure. It's real, she's not producing results. You've got to figure something out quickly exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, and what she says is she wanted them to leave and she just needed to give them something.
Speaker 2: I'm got to get on with my day.
Speaker 1: She didn't know she was gonna be on film. She thought they were just going to capture that after effects, right and she could just be like, wow, look what happened. But no, they straight up caught her on camera. There is the footage in this center footage. It's in the documentary. Yeah, that sounds I'm not gonna lie. She does it pretty good, Like she picture a lampshade. She sticks her hand underneath and goes like this and goes, ah, No, good for her, but it also kind of was like, you've done this before. Girl. Anyway, the parapsychologist role. He brings her to his lab in North Carolina. She gets put under a hypnosis and hopes that her traumatic memories would trigger some of this activity. They even assigned her a female companion to document her every move, including when they would sleep and they would go to the bathroom together. No, boy, they really wanted to get this stuff captured. But her powers kind of stopped.
Speaker 2: And how her stopped when someone was around all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, but it seemed like it was maybe the stress of being around those parents. She didn't she wasn't she was a lot happier to.
Speaker 2: Be more interesting, right, She had like a more comforting source around her. She felt safe.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's a theory. William Rowle sent her to the Delphi University of Spiritual Studies, which is in Georgia. They tried to help her work on doing psychic readings on people. I don't think that really took off as a career for her.
Speaker 2: Well that doesn't. That's not her thing.
Speaker 1: Is that of what she does? Are we talking about? That's not her niece.
Speaker 2: She's not a multi talent. She's got one thing.
Speaker 1: They thought, maybe okay, if you can move lamps, maybe you can see the future. Yeah. So she goes back home. The parents are like, we just can't have your route. So they actually sent her to a juvenile detention center. Well they wanted to. She ran away at age sixteen. She meets an awful man. She gets pregnant. Oh boy, she has a daughter named Amber. Once she has the baby, her powers are back more than hour. Oh and you know, even she was like, could it be Amber? Could it be the baby has these powers?
Speaker 2: Right, like new fresh powers in the baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while taking a nap one day, the baby's taking a nap, Smoke alarms go off, the baby's room is on fire. Oh that's not good.
Speaker 2: How on fire do we know?
Speaker 1: Okay, now everyone, this is when things get dark.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is I kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety two. She's out of the house, her three year old daughter Amber gets hurt and dies. Not good. This is all just part of the store. Okay. So I'm more interested in the fact that she was a paranormal case. But it turns into a murder case because she ends up getting charged. Obviously so does her boyfriend who was watching the baby at the time, but also once it becomes a trial or you know, when she's accused. The town where she's in, which at this point was Carrollton, Georgia, they kept bringing up, you know, her paranormal past to a show. She's you can't trust her and she was found guilty. Oh and she's serving a life sentence.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now there are other elements to this that aren't good looks for her. I don't necessarily want to get into all of it, because that's not really what I'm trying to cover. But there's a lot of activists and law students that are trying to prove that she was wrongfully convicted, and what happened with the boyfriend? I believe he sent a life sentence. Yes, okay, she was up for the death pencil penalty penalty, but is serving a life sentence and she's behind bars. She in the documentary does like some phone interviews she you know, I think that ultimately a lot of it was like, well, she's the she's the mother, so she needs to she's responsible.
Speaker 2: What's the what's the defense? Why are people thinking she's wrongfully convicted?
Speaker 1: Well, because she wasn't there.
Speaker 2: She simply wasn't there when it happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she wasn't there when it happened. I mean, and it's not entirely I mean, she got hurt and then she died at the hospital. Okay, it just seems like it was her boyfriend, right, and was the boy as far as I know, do they catch up with the dad on the documentary? Really, it's this is more about her, So I'm not I'm not one hundred percent sure about the murder stuff. What you know, I'm curious about because literally, like half the documentary is this paranormal stuff, and then the other half is this part.
Speaker 2: These should just be different shows.
Speaker 1: But that's what's interesting. She's like two sensational stories.
Speaker 2: I know, there's the occasional person who can be on a tabloid for two different reasons, and that's that's something.
Speaker 1: And she's doing it. Yeah, I don't know. I do feel I feel for the woman. I mean, it sounds horrible all of all of this stuff from start to finish, But it's also interesting to see what it's like for someone that, you know, if we are to believe she really did have these abilities, how hard that was on her.
Speaker 2: I mean, in the phone calls from prison, does she touch on her abilities? Yes, what does she say about them?
Speaker 1: She absolutely did them, and she owns up to the fact that, yeah, that's time I pushed over the lamp. I wanted them to leave. I was a teenager and I was sick of it.
Speaker 2: It was nine hours, but she still says it was a real phenomenon. Yes, Is she causing any sort of ruckus in the prison with this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Not that I know. There is some guy that they interview at one point that's like, I don't know, he might have been a police officer. I'm not sure what he is, but somebody on the opposition of her and her case, and he's like, well, if she had powers, why isn't she just open up the door in the prison cell let herself out.
Speaker 2: That's not how it works, sir, That's simply not how it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if she had a landline next to her, she would throw it at your head. She'd be doing all kinds of things like that. So yeah, it's very interesting. Sad but interesting.
Speaker 2: And the name switch, I assume that happened before the murder.
Speaker 1: So according to Wikipedia, it says Tina Rash married and divorced twice.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that she married that guy. I thought they called her his the boyfriend. Now this is again Wikipedia, sure right, which I don't. Do you have a Wikipedia? I want a Wikipedia.
Speaker 2: Wikipedia. Wikipedia is interesting. I feel like people don't add to it anymore.
Speaker 1: But you can't just have People are always like, oh, you just have one, No like you. It has to be like a qualified person has to make.
Speaker 2: And you can't make your own. No, there's nothing said or I've tried.
Speaker 1: Listen. I want a place where people can learn about me.
Speaker 2: Do you ever go to someone's Wikipedia and you're like, this is entirely they're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So I'll make one for you.
Speaker 1: Are you approved?
Speaker 2: No, but I'll try to submit as not you.
Speaker 1: That would be so sweet.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give it a shot.
Speaker 1: But wait. Back to her. All that says here is she was married in divorce twice, changing her name to Christina Boyer. So I'm not sure, but I think either way, she was trying her darnedus to start a new life and it was hard, you know. She. I think she wasn't given the life skills and was really she didn't have money, and she was from what it made. It seem like a single mother, single income, trying to make things work.
Speaker 2: And you think about this person. She was adopted by horrible parents. She was also technically a child star in Florida. Both of those things don't really set you up for adulthood. Yeah, so yeah, And also she just has supernatural powers, so she's dealing with all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: And two husbands, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she was trying to write a book about it. With the hypnotist that was assigned to her when she was in North Carolina. It was actually the woman who would go to the bathroom at the same time as her and the Yes, they interviewed the lady and she seems great and she's like actually, like one of her best friends.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine telling people I'm writing a book with my hypnotist.
Speaker 1: She didn't have many friends, it's the thing. And she still has these people, and her her sister who was her you know, her biological sister she met later, Like, I don't think they've ever met in person. Oh, I don't think that. I know.
Speaker 2: They're red flags there if someone starts to claim they're your sister, but you're in prison and you can't really verify, don't you wonder like is this just some sort of fraud.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, I don't know. Everyone else just wild thing. Uh yeah, everyone, if you if you happen to have a Hulu subscription, I know you all had one when my show was on there, but I don't know whatever your current state is with Hulu. It's it's definitely worth the watch. Okay, can I show you a haunted doll?
Speaker 2: I would love nothing more.
Speaker 1: It's time for the dolls are living? Okay, So I go to eBay dot com. I for some reason, I remember, like it was yesterday, the ones that I had with you because it was a two doll doll. Right, Yeah, they were a couple.
Speaker 2: And that there was something kitchy about it or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They were like a garden, yeah, like a craft fair.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I've gone to eBay and I've found a new one and this one is going for forty and her name is Karen. Okay, great geehah, show us Karen please.
Speaker 2: Oh looks like Karen's wearing a wig.
Speaker 1: Well, she's a doll, but I feel like.
Speaker 2: That match her complexion.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it feels like.
Speaker 2: A new she's trying something new, she's.
Speaker 1: Trying it out to see what's Happening's.
Speaker 2: One eye bigger than the other?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say maybe one's a little bit bigger. They are framed by the drawn on eyelashes, which.
Speaker 2: Are almost like a starburst, you know, blasting.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's got some she's got some eyebrows, that's for sure. And then you know typical haunted doll dress, sort of velvety.
Speaker 2: Victorian purple with lace.
Speaker 1: But she's a Karen.
Speaker 2: She looks uncomfortable that dress is it's too much on her?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, she doesn't want to be doing any of this.
Speaker 2: Looks like she can't move.
Speaker 1: Based on these photos, I would say she does not want to be posing for this photo. She does not want to be in this dress, she does not want to be wearing this wig. She It's very like when your mom makes you do first communion or something and you don't want to. Okay, So here's the thing. She's named Karen. Okay, she is as they would say, a Karen.
Speaker 2: She's I mean, this is a classic Karen.
Speaker 1: Now, the whole Karen phenomena. I think it got a little played out. Oh, I mean, come on to me, it's funny again. You think it's back. I think it's funny again. I like to call I especially like to call men Karen. Sure, but I think it's a little bit funny to me. And I don't know what that says about me, but I think it's slightly funny to be like, stop being a Karen.
Speaker 2: It feels like the Karen behavior has like it's shifted in a way, or people who you would used to call a Karen are now a different name. And I don't know what the name is for that sort of person anymore. But I feel like if you were to call somebody a Karen now, they would have to have a new attribute I evolved.
Speaker 1: I like to say it like if someone's not doing something too crazy, like if someone's like, hey, could you not do that? And be like okay, Karen, Like I think that's more fun? Do you like to call? I like to turn it into a problem as a way to provoke people. What were we gonna ask?
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you when Karen kind of became the name for that sort of behavior, did you feel like that was the name that we should be using or was there like another white lady name that you felt was closer to that sort.
Speaker 1: Of Hellen Helen. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like Christy, Oh, Christie, Christie sounds a little nastier or something.
Speaker 1: I mean, I do feel bad for Karen's of course that I have, you know, had to deal with that. But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: What do you do? You just have to fight through it. I mean, our friend Karen, she had a good sense of humor, has absolutely embraced it. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think I don't know. I don't know where she's at with it nowadays.
Speaker 2: It never seemed to affect her in any way. Yeah, I think that if it does affect you you're kind of a Karen.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but that's so like gas lighty or something. But anyway, let's read about this Karen. It says, Meet Karen, a spirited and mischievous doll. She's dressed in a stunning purple dress. She is definitely a handful. I got her from another collector who simply couldn't handle her anymore. Oh, I keep burping, sorry because you gave me a La Croy Giha. This is Giha being a Karen she has. I'm Christie to you.
Speaker 2: My apologies to the Christie's out there. I know, I'm sure good Christie's.
Speaker 1: Christi's are gonna be mad. Okay. I've had Karen for about four years now, and she's been nothing short of a whirlwind. The previous owner warned me about her antics. Karen loves to play pranks, and sometimes they go a little too far. She's loud, obnoxious, and always the life of the party. Karen is a true party girl, and she loves to be the center of attention. One of her favorite tricks is to touch me when I least expect it. That's the salt. I could be standing there and suddenly I feel a light touch on my shoulder or a whisper in my ear. She's also known to visit my dreams, filling them with not so nice. Despite numerous attempts to communicate with her through a Ouiji board's spirit box and a cat ball, I still don't know how she passed away. When she's on the spirit box, the sound she makes are like she's trying to get a message across, but it's always unclear. Karen loves to flicker lights on and off, slam doors, and turn the water on. Her presence is so active that I'm at my wits end. I just can't handle this very active spirit anymore, especially at my age. How old is this person?
Speaker 2: Ninety five year old's? Their Evay account.
Speaker 1: Is just keeping Karen away from your other vessels aka haunted dolls, particularly the nicer female ones, as she tends to stir up trouble.
Speaker 2: Right, she's one of these classic women.
Speaker 1: He's not a girl's girl. Yeah, she's not a dolls doll. There's so much more to learn about Karen, and she has a lot more to say and do. If you think you can handle her, she's ready to bring her unique brand of chaos into your home. Just be prepared for a wild ride.
Speaker 2: I would like to see this put on a dog rescue the description of a dog up for adoption.
Speaker 1: Seriously, they're very similar. And having spent a lot of time looking at dog rescue websites and haunted dolls, they're close, right they are, Yeah, for sure. They the people that are selling these dolls treat these as if you're about to welcome a new pet and a rescue. Yes, they do, and sometimes they say adopt, are you would you like to adopt this?
Speaker 2: Adopt? Don't shop evil.
Speaker 1: Dolls, except you do have you have forty dollars for this one?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 1: All right? That's Karen. You know what?
Speaker 2: I just want to say. The one thing I noticed about her face, the expression is I can't believe you're getting on the elevator with me?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Because she feels like she's comfortable and surprised. That like, this is the sort of feeling I get when I walk onto an elevator and people are like, oh, I thought I was going to be on here.
Speaker 1: Alone because they farted.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I think she's like, this is my little space, right, Yeah, she definitely, how dare you? She does not look happy? That's what I don't understand doll makers that make dolls with horrible express look just physically uncomfortable. Seriously, like this doll does not want to be there. No, And as always, go to Instagram ghosted by Ras. Under the story highlight called Dolls twenty twenty five, you'll see Karen can I play some ghost voices? I love as it's time for EVP or ev plase. Okay, these are both from the same channel. It's called Chicago Land Halloween at Bachelor's Grove Cemetery.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bachelor's Grove.
Speaker 1: I know if you're a single ghost lady, this is where you want to go singles ghost ship. Yes, so somewhere in the cemetery. What is it saying Bridger lying?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I mean I think that's very clear what it's saying. You're lying. I think you're lying.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good guess. I think you are lying, is what it sounds like. Well that's not what they thought. Oh, Chicago Land Halloween had a different interpretation. Did they think it was a are you my type? I mean, okay, okay, sure, b review our lives? Does that even mean? C? Are you alive? Or d F you I'm tired, okay.
Speaker 2: And just to be clear, it said f you like it was censoring itself.
Speaker 1: Yes, f you, I'm tired. Okay. Now it's one of those lying.
Speaker 2: I mean, out of all of those knowing that it's a bachelor or you might type, they believe it was b review our lives, which feels like somebody that's welcoming you to this kind of dating service of the graveyard, like take a look at our stats or our favorite song, or review review our lives, look at our signs and everything and tell us if you're interested. Yes, so now that we know it's review our lives, view.
Speaker 1: Our lives, No, it is.
Speaker 2: I think you are lying.
Speaker 1: Wait one more time. I think you were like it's yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's something very eagerie to me about a ghost telling you knowing that you're lying to it that spooks me.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like the belief is like ghosts know the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: One more okay, same place. What is this one saying nothing? Hang on? Is that really it's throwing up? The other one was so clear.
Speaker 2: The other one was talking, and this one is dry heaving or something. And then I would say, I come from nowhere.
Speaker 1: A bad gass. Well do they think it was a I wanted soup? Okay, B I'm Liz and I'm here girl boss C I live in spirit.
Speaker 2: I live in spirit?
Speaker 1: Or d I don't like your parents.
Speaker 2: I mean I from the like the kind of vomit feel from it. I'm going to say I wanted soup. It's kind of the the you know, you get food poison, and you thought I should have gone for this other thing and I wouldn't be sick right.
Speaker 1: Now, I wanted soup. This shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Speaker 2: Right I got egg salad. Here we are.
Speaker 1: Oh God, that sounds so gross to me. They believe it is. See, I live in spirit.
Speaker 2: I live in spirit. These people have got to be released from telling people what these they're bad at this.
Speaker 1: Come on, I can hear it. Wait, it's I come from nowhere. I live in spirit. I picture hands on the head. I live in spirit.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: That there is spirit? Now?
Speaker 2: What a boring thing?
Speaker 1: That's so obvious? Well, they just wanted you to know I live in spirit.
Speaker 2: Tell me something I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you think that I'm still living you wrong.
Speaker 2: Tell me you don't like my parents, tell me you wanted soup.
Speaker 1: Seriously, give me. Give me an anecdote, a little bit of texture, a little texture from your a bachelor coloring. Give it a little color.
Speaker 2: You meet that guy for coffee and that's what he's telling you.
Speaker 1: I live and spare it. Give me a break, Bridger, that's it.
Speaker 2: Little shame.
Speaker 1: That was not bad.
Speaker 2: I feel like we got to the bottom of a lot of things.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 2: You're totally unsatisfied.
Speaker 1: I mean now, I'm always like double check my facts when it comes to when we're talking about people dying and things like that. But I'm pretty sure I got things right.
Speaker 2: I feel like it close enough. You know the story there, You know, there are so many angles and there's so many participants. There's so many news stories, right.
Speaker 1: See, that's the thing with this Tina story. I want to focus on the paranormal part, but then there's this whole other part.
Speaker 2: I think she'd prefer you to focus on the paranorm.
Speaker 1: Probably, but the other part is not necessarily my right jurisdiction.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's another podcast.
Speaker 1: So I I'm not used to covering things about the trials and sentences and stuff like that. But if it's a phone flying across someone's lap. That's me. I'm the one to call to talk about that. Bridger, what do you got going on?
Speaker 2: I have my podcast? I said, no gifts of court.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 2: You're on this network and you can go to Ice said, no gifts Instagram. How do people look up on Instagram?
Speaker 1: They go to where it's this search and they typed it in and then they type it in.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the easiest way to do it. Yeah, of course, click accounts probably be the first thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Roz has been an incredible guest.
Speaker 1: You always have great guests. I feel very sad you have coming up.
Speaker 2: I know this week we have George Saveris from Stradio Lab. I'm wonderful. We just had mutual friend Sam Pancake, one of the funniest people alive.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Just had Tom Sharpling.
Speaker 1: Love Tom Sharps, a dear, He's amazing.
Speaker 2: No, we have a good time and I'm just slowly collecting items. It'spent five years.
Speaker 1: People somehow always bring you a gift.
Speaker 2: I have received at least two hundred and fifty items. Wow, and I've started giving a few of them away. But it is something I've kind of just given myself this curse.
Speaker 1: Anything you can make money off of, not that.
Speaker 2: I've noticed yet. I'd love for somebody to give me something valuable, just one thing that I can put on a bit haunted doll. That'd be interesting. Karen, Karen, somebody buy me, Karen.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much to Bridge Wide Girl. That was fun. Hey, I'll see you all soon, ros Hernandez tour dot com and I'll talk to you next week. I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't me came by. This has been an exactly right production. Want to share your paranormal experience on the podcast. I read stories out loud and sometimes I'll even call you, so email me at ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com. You can send a DM or voice message to the show's Instagram at ghosted by Roz. Give us a follow while you're there, and follow me Roz on Instagram at Roz Hernandez and on TikTok and Twitter at It's Roz Hernandez. My senior producer is the startling Jiha Lee. Associate producer is the alarming Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed and sound designed by the Eerie Edson Choi. My guest booker is the petrifying Patrick Kuttner. Additional production support from the hair raising Hannah Kyle Krichten. My theme music is by the spine Chilling Brendan Lynch Salomon. Artwork by the Spooky Vanessa Lilac, Photography by the terrifying Elizabeth Karen. Executive produced by the Chilling Karen Kilgareth, the Spooky Georgia Hard Start, and the Frightening Danielle Kramer