Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Monday, June sixteenth, and a juror has officially been dismissed in the Diddy trial. It happened first thing this morning in court. This is the first juror to be dismissed in this case, and now we're hearing it might not be the last. Welcome everybody to this episode of Amy and TJ beginning the sixth full week, day twenty four of testimony in the Diddy trial. And it I mean not to editorialize here too much, but I'm almost glad this dude's gone because I'm tired of talking about him.
Speaker 2: We have been talking about him for days now. And finally the judge in this case decided first thing Monday morning that juror number six was going to be off the jury. That's following through with what he suggested he was going to do on Friday. But this juror is a forty one year old black man who works at a correctional facility. The problem is he told the court during during selection that he lived in the Bronx. Well, then he mentioned to a staffer in the court that he he lived in New Jersey and that he sometimes lives in the Bronx with his aunt, and so the judge felt in this case that his credibility was shot, it was gone, and he had to be removed.
Speaker 1: Look, it's that simple. If you don't live in New York, you're not eligible to serve on this jury. The judge had some kind of stronger words and sound like the guy was intentionally being deceptive and lying.
Speaker 3: He used the word.
Speaker 1: Shade at one point, just said the guy's trying to stay on the jury.
Speaker 2: He said the record raised serious concerns as to the jurors candor and yes, he said that he the jury number six appeared to be shading his answers to try and remain on the jury, which is a big red flag in terms of credibility.
Speaker 3: In any ca.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if anybody tries to change their answer to stay on a jury, who wants to stay on a jury?
Speaker 2: Not me? So most people that I know try to get out of jury duty altogether. But so, who who is his replacement during number six is excused? In comes a fifty.
Speaker 4: Seven year old accountant from Westchester County. He is a white male.
Speaker 2: He will replace during number six who was a black male and not raised some concerns for the defense.
Speaker 4: They certainly brought it up a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Look, this is going to be they will probably ask for a mistrial over this, won't get it. But look, this is a guy who, by all accounts from the courtroom, if there is a way to read the jury, if you had to guess which way this guy was leaning, he seemed to be leaning towards Ditty's camp, if you will, And that this was the guy the courtroom observers said even did he was acknowledging and looking at and possibly shaking his head at at times, and interacting with to a certain degree.
Speaker 2: And this was the juror who also said, when he was questioned initially that he was a big fan of nineties hip hop. So I believe your.
Speaker 4: Assessment of the situation is most likely correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, he probably It's probably impossible to overlook Diddy in the nineties if you liked hip hop quite frankly, so he's probably heard of him. But it's weird to think that a guy is trying to That's tough.
Speaker 3: So they what was it? They?
Speaker 1: So the back and forth gave one answer, I live in the Bronx. Having a conversation, he said, well, live in New Jersey most of the time. But then we was questioned by the court over this and still kind of flip flopped on his answer when the judge asked him they wanted possibly to bring him back in to talk to the judge. The judge says, for what, like, I don't I don't trust anything. He's going to say, now we're done, Yeah, and just let him go.
Speaker 3: First thing. Did not even want to hear another word.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Again, anyone who's trying to not just get on a jury but then stay on a jury, you got a motive for that, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: That is such a good way to put it. There had to be a motive.
Speaker 2: Now there is potentially an issue with another juror, this time over conversations. We know it's a he may have had with a colleague. We don't have much more information than that. But these jurors are absolutely told by the judge you cannot discuss this case with anyone, You cannot research this case, you cannot go online and google this case. But if it's determined that a juror in fact did do that, that is absolutely grounds for dismissal.
Speaker 1: I think the judge said he's going to take this one up at the end of the day, and this was a juror. I believe they took a look at his phone already, So this is a juror of what in the world is going on? And if it took a look at his phone, if this juror was stupid enough to text something about the trial, kind of give me a break on that one.
Speaker 4: It's wild though.
Speaker 2: If he texted something or said something to a colleague, the colleague then had to go tell someone who told someone.
Speaker 4: Directly contacted the court. But it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, we have obviously, we've conjectured in other podcasts that it's hard to imagine that any of these jurors, even though they're instructed to sequester themselves, so to speak, when it comes to the jury, or excuse me, when it comes to the trial, it's hard to imagine that people human nature is human nature, actually do that. Yes, So now you've got somebody who's just kind of being told or called out.
Speaker 4: About it to.
Speaker 3: Look at I mean that is isn't that a done deal? Isn't that a rap?
Speaker 2: Yet?
Speaker 1: If you've talked to somebody about it and they know you've done it, then isn't that automatic dismissal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the reports I'm seeing is that the juror had to hand his phone to the judge. Man, the judge said, give me your phone, he had to give it to him, and so yeah, if there's anything incriminating on that phone, do.
Speaker 3: You have to legally legal? So does he have a right to your phone?
Speaker 2: I feel like that's a really good question, knowing me like, sir, Yes, of course, I'll give it to you. I think you kind of have to a judge. When a judge tells you to do something, don't you have to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but you give some violation. That's my privacy.
Speaker 1: You don't have a right to look into my phone, or does it judge say okay, let me see your phone or your off this jury?
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe that was something.
Speaker 1: And also the other question I just said, if now we need a legal expert, what if he was googling something about the trial? Is that grounds for dismissive? You look at the phone and Google searchers are as well. Yes, Wow, okay, so all that drama.
Speaker 2: I know you if anyone asked you to hand over your phone, you'd say and goodbye, I'm out.
Speaker 4: Alternate number two, Come on, up year.
Speaker 1: I had things to do next week anyway, But he's uh, he's out. The that question about this is a very diverse I don't have it in front of me. I'm sorry, but they did say this is a very diverse jury. But still, you just swapped out one black nineties hip hop New Yorker for a white, fifty six year old Westchester County living dude.
Speaker 4: Very different perspectives potentially on life.
Speaker 1: And so you see why the defense might have been fighting tooth and nail to hold on to that guy.
Speaker 4: That is certainly why.
Speaker 2: All right, so before we get into the testimony that's going on today, or do we want to do that first, because I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, and do you Kanye?
Speaker 4: I can't wait to.
Speaker 1: Get to go ahead?
Speaker 3: Do you Kanye?
Speaker 4: Because what was that on Friday? Huge? Upward?
Speaker 2: The press starts racing and running and chasing because all of a sudden, in walks Kanye West or I guess.
Speaker 4: We're only supposed to call him yae.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is correct now.
Speaker 2: Dressed in all white yep walking into that courtroom to support his friend Diddy. But he kind of had to do a walk of shame on the way back right.
Speaker 1: He wasn't in there that long, anywhere from thirty to forty minutes perhaps, But we've talked about here. You're not allowed to just walk into the courtroom. You can't even You have to get on a list actually to do so. So obviously he didn't get there early.
Speaker 2: He didn't wait in line. He did, yea, he didn't want to wait in line, that's shocked.
Speaker 1: But he went in from the reports intide the courthouse, he went to the overflow room, stayed only for a short time, and he came right back out. So he only supported his friend for thirty forty minutes, but didn't get the lay eyes on him.
Speaker 4: Fairly certain he was looking for the photo.
Speaker 2: Op of supporting his own Oh stop, I mean no, but that's a show of support. You show up to the courtroom, you know right where the cameras are, you have your photo taken here. I am supporting Ditty. It was less about hearing.
Speaker 1: The trial to that point. Now, that isn't I didn't think you're thinking like a pr person. We should know this, But yes, it is a public show of support, even if Diddy has no idea he was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't have to say one word to Ditty. He didn't have to say anything to the cameras, just his mere presence there. And he walked in with one of Ditty's sons, I believe so clearly, with the family walking in, he probably I don't even know if he even watched or listened to the trial.
Speaker 4: It was just I'm going to be here. I'll stay for long enough.
Speaker 2: Some people will think I absorbed some of what happened, and then I'll walk out.
Speaker 1: Thirty minutes, though, bro, you gotta give me more than thirty.
Speaker 4: He got the gist of it. I think that's where he was.
Speaker 1: You can't go to a Broadway show and see thirty minutes of it and walk out going you know what, I got the.
Speaker 4: Gist that was good enough, and it was a show.
Speaker 2: The political theater that was going on there certainly was incredible, because we heard from Jonathan Perez, who was the assistant to Ditty for the three years that led right up to his arrest, so he's certainly had to take again.
Speaker 4: He was given an immunity.
Speaker 1: Deal as well, so a lot of that going around.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's kind of like on repeat, and I never know quite how to phrase it. He took an immunity deal, is that.
Speaker 1: They had to give him one. What's the Yeah, he's been granted. Immunity is the way to do it, and a lot of them have to because they were buying drugs, transporting drugs, and doing things. So the government wants their testimony.
Speaker 4: They need is ironic or at least it's interesting.
Speaker 2: They need the employees to admit that they committed illegal acts on behalf of didty in order to prove what they're trying to say, did he did, which is racketeering, et cetera. And so they have to damn themselves, so to speak, and so they have to get immunity in order to testify. All right, So what did we learn about freak co ops that we didn't already know?
Speaker 4: TJ.
Speaker 1: It's weird to think that we are still learning. But yeah, this Jonathan Perez even though he did and he was a part of these freak cops and setting up these Okay, this was another thing that jumped out, do you catch this for cast? Even to her Fine, they were called freak ofughs. For another woman, they were called hotel nights or somebody else they call king knights. So they were all the same thing, but called different names depending on who the woman.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was different eras of their stress parties, and that way they could remember, all right, if we call them this, that's with her.
Speaker 4: If we call them the other, it's with the other.
Speaker 3: Hotel nights has just a much.
Speaker 4: Better ring to freakoffs are scary hotel nights. Hotel nights sound fun?
Speaker 1: Well, listen to the fun at this hotel night. But yeah, he extra details you mentioned. He said there were times he would set up an IVY for the women to recover after a free call.
Speaker 4: Think about that.
Speaker 3: That you need fluids, you need.
Speaker 2: To be you need ivy fluids after going for that long with a sex party, they already had them pre arranged and set up ready to keep. It's just it's amazing to me that the length and the intense with which these parties took place.
Speaker 1: All this is that's the first time I've heard this detail. But of all the details we've heard in all of these hotel nights.
Speaker 3: You'd have to have an ivy.
Speaker 4: It sounds like it all.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm like, wow, that's good medical attention to a certain degree. I'm I'd say that somewhat jokingly, but just Wow, it makes.
Speaker 2: Sense, doesn't It also lend itself to that thinks about you think about physical abuse, and I know people do this.
Speaker 4: When they have a hard night of partying. They'll go to an ivy drive.
Speaker 2: But that's like self imposed, you know, just bad behavior, right, You're just dealing with the consequences of your choices. But this seems like there's an acknowledgment that there's physical damage being done to everyone who is participating.
Speaker 3: You helping your victim recover, I'm sure is how.
Speaker 4: The prosecutor that they can keep being victimized.
Speaker 1: Is how the prosecution is trying to frame all this. He did say, Jane, who was on the stand, I think she testified longer than anybody and just wrapped up what last week, Yes said, never saw her at any point, hesitant, unhappy, anything other than enthusiastic to participate. Now, that could mean she was putting on and that's all he saw was her putting on in front of Ditty. Or it could mean with the defenses trying to prove, which is that she was an enthusiastic, consensual participant.
Speaker 2: And then what was this about tom Ford shorts that she went out and purchased before freak gofs because.
Speaker 4: She liked them.
Speaker 1: He provided tom Ford shorts for her. She always made sure she went to the salon and got dulled up for them. Now, she can always argue that's the stuff she was trying to do to make Diddy happy. But the defense will see that as look at her. She was getting ready for her She did it herself for a big night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was getting all the glam squad business going just to participate and to perform, so to speak, in these freak offs. That. Of course, the defense says she was happily willing to attend, and it seems Jonathan Perez is agreeing with that way of assessing it.
Speaker 4: He also talked about how he would.
Speaker 2: Go and get cocaine, molly xanax for Ditty, So he actually completely admitted being a drug mule, so to speak, for Ditty.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, these guys committing crimes, they absolulutely are. And there you know we look, this is not somebody who is we talk about being Look, we've heard people testify about physical abuse, sexual abuse on the stand. This is a guy who's suffering a different type of humiliation. Almost he's had to get on the stand and under oath admit that he was literally committing crimes on a regular basis, almost on this guy's behalf.
Speaker 3: That's got to be.
Speaker 1: It's a different type of humiliation they deal with right now.
Speaker 4: And I don't know that we got his salary. I don't remember it.
Speaker 2: But every single other assistant who had to do almost will they testify that they had to do almost very similar menial tasks and illegal tax tasks got paid between like fifty sixty five thousand dollars. So it's not like they were getting rich off of doing something that could have absolutely landed each.
Speaker 4: Of them behind bars.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting that they did it for so little money, but they were doing it for Diddy and perhaps just to be in his world and to have him take notice of them, and perhaps hoping it was an investment in their career.
Speaker 1: I also mentioned sometimes I get a two hour to a two day notice to set up for these free calls.
Speaker 3: Is that not everything.
Speaker 1: They had to have everything in the room to where he wouldn't have to be bothered for twenty four to four eight hours, So every bit of food, water, snags, drugs, just the room had to be stocked to wear wing gonna see ditty for two days.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine going away for two days, having people prep your world for that, and all the while have them, according to the testimony, commit illegal acts to make this all work. That's like crazy. And this wasn't a one off. This wasn't once a year on special occasions. We're talking sometimes once or twice a week, according to people who have been testifying. I don't know how anyone has that much stamina. I know drugs were involved to create that.
Speaker 1: Kind of stamina.
Speaker 2: Even still, Yeah, let's talk about what's in the Gucci bag. So there was a Gucci bag, and there were some mustas that the Gucci bag had to be stocked with cash, cocaine, ketamine, adderall, xanax, and molly my god, I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: I travel with advil and chapstick. Those are my must have.
Speaker 4: You know what kind of the same for me? That's kind of it.
Speaker 2: I need some Adville every now and then I might I might want some melatonin, clariton, clariton. Okay, yeah, that's that's our big medicine bag.
Speaker 3: Wow, very small bag.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's not in a Gucci bag either.
Speaker 1: Would you carry our little nothing in a Gucci bag is just remarkable. Now, this is I'm smiling here now. And he Jonathan told gave this detail, but he was going through a lot of text messages that've been going through in court in which he was going back and forth with the chief of staff KK that we've been hearing so much about we need to give an update on here in just a second. But he was going back and forth. This is a funny detail. KK was asking about how things were going with the setup and then the cleanup of the hotel room, and he wrote back it was kind of jokingly, I've only slipped on baby oil twice. Yeah, that he said he actually fell slipping around on baby oil. That's just you know, you got a little comic relief. We gotta take take them one week and get them. But that's another little well.
Speaker 2: And with what's been going on today, so it's it seems like kind of a menial, even maybe boring start to the day with the testimony, but it's a paralegal for the prosecution who was going through meticulously some of the texts and explaining the text giving context to the jurors about what it is that they're hearing and seeing and some of the conversation between KK this is again Comb's chief of staff, and different assistants or even some of the victims, is incredibly eye opening. I think it's been fascinating to hear some of the details that are found in these texts.
Speaker 3: I'm looking what is it? Remind me Korum? What's her first name?
Speaker 1: Uh? KK, Christina Korum, Christina Korum that we've heard so much about his chief of staff. We've heard now that she will not be called by the prosecution at least to testify. They've kind of framed her in a lot of this as a co conspirator in this whole thing. So many of these texts met she was aware, she knew, she helped set up, she was aware of the violence, she was aware of everything.
Speaker 3: But they don't want to call her.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting to me because these texts are fascinating.
Speaker 4: One of them, so you mentioned kind of the lighthearted jokes.
Speaker 2: COM's assistant Ryan Lopez, texted KK, this is in December of twenty nineteen. I think I saw one of the cowboys today. You can spot them in a lobby like an escort. I forgot to tell you about KK. Writes back with four laughing face emojis. By the way, how long is he going to stay awake? Lopez says, lol, I'm guessing until tomorrow night. So they're back and forth his staff, laughing and teasing about these freak offs, these sex parties, these hotel nights, back and forth among their employees.
Speaker 1: Why did you just go right past the cowboys and okay?
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I was going to say, we need to discuss because that was also something that came up in testimony today and from the text messages that yes did. He apparently frequently used this escort service called cowboys and Cowboys for Angels. It means, if you're an angel, we've got a cowboy for you. Oh cowboys for angel?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, sorry, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Yes, so, yeah, that was that was a fun little service that I'm sure is really appreciating all the extra attention they are getting to.
Speaker 1: That's what they meant by I bet you could spot a cowboy and a lobby.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, I don't.
Speaker 2: I was like, should I explain that now or should I wait until after I reference the text exchange. But it's just interesting how they were joking around the everybody.
Speaker 4: Knew Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Everybody office buzz water cooler talking bad boy. Yes, everybody apparently knew.
Speaker 3: What was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there are very specific texts between Diddy and between KK. Where did he apparently texts exactly that he wants fifteen pills of Molly from KK and then telling her not to text more about it? So, I mean, this is really irrefutable evidence that the jury was hearing today from the prosecution.
Speaker 1: You bring us now to another point about KK. Here, there was an incident with this video that Jonathan talked about. He was at Ditty's home and he said he was in one room and heard somebody screaming in the next room. And the person screaming in the next room was a videographer who had just found owned a freak off video on an employee iPad. Right, so just shock the hell out of him. He starts screaming. So Jonathan, the assistant, reports it to Diddy, and he reports it to KK, and KK tells him next time, don't report it to Diddy, just bring it to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She managed, she managed everything. She was managing Cassie Ventura when Cassie told her basically, no one deserves to be dragged by their hair after she said that Diddy did just that to her. And so KK is literally trying to just massage everything to make everything better, saying, hey, I don't know why Diddy's acting out. You need to stay focused on your career. I'll try to handle it. But yeah, it's irrefutable when you look at.
Speaker 1: These texts, seemingly aware of everything. So we were talking earlier, so why wouldn't they call her if she's aware.
Speaker 3: Of all this Stuff's interesting, like they put her up there. She's not gonna admit to all this stuff, is she? Because this.
Speaker 4: Take the fifth?
Speaker 1: They say all of these are crimes that she's a part of, So she would get up there and just plead the fifth all day long. Can't give her immunity because they are already accusing her of essentially committing crimes. So what do you do with her? The defense is not going to go They can't call it.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine they would want to call her because.
Speaker 3: Then the prosecution gets to have their way with her.
Speaker 2: Yes, and i'mus I'm curious if she will be facing charges as well after this. They have not charged her yet, we should point out. So it's fascinating and of course we're just in terms of following this and trying to interpret it. Obviously, neither one of us have legal degrees, but we have covered plenty of court cases in our decades of experience, and this is one like I have never seen before in my life, in my career. And so it remains to be seen what will happen with KK, but I think we can feel pretty certain she will not be taking the stand in this city trial.
Speaker 1: We are expecting what five more witnesses are believe that excuse me, prosecution says they're going to have help me with who it's going to be a couple of summary witnesses like the one up there kind of explaining the text messages, one law enforcement agent and in Brendan Paul that is named the Brendan Paul. Brendon Paul was a former assistant as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we will keep you updated on all of the latest developments from that courtroom in Lower Manhattan where all eyes have been on it for.
Speaker 4: Six weeks now. We thank you for listening
Speaker 2: To us, and we hope you all have a wonderful day