Speaker 1: Let's get in the weeds. Nerdler nerds unite new stat out which first baseman is best at receiving throws. Our friends at Baseball Savant has new data to show that, and it's Alec Burleson, who's in his first full season at first base with the Saint Louis Cardinals. He is leading and receiving outs above average over guys such as Freddy Freeman Matt Olsen. This stuff I haven't really gotten to dive in too much yet, but when you're looking at how first basemen are perceived in the game, I mean, Alec Burlson is dealing with a legit middle infield and Mason win JJ weatherhole. I certainly don't want to be behind Mason Wins triple digit throws to first. This is cool, though, because I think we're able to give first basement a little more love. Obviously, you see Freddy Freeman Matt Olsen over the last five years their value in just receiving throws. But Alec Berlson is certainly making a name for himself as one of the up and coming first basemen.
Speaker 2: In the league.
Speaker 1: You guys have played some first base, as we've talked about some experienced first baseman up in this chat, Kratsi'll start with you, how hard is it to play first? And how great is it to see a stat that kind of shows that to the casual fan.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know that the stats shows it to the casual fan, because we're making stats. Like when you start looking down the list, one of the things that you don't remember is the fact that Freddie Freeman and Matt Olson play every freaking day, and so to have that much of a gap, it's a new stat. I wouldn't disagree with the stat. As most stats, I rarely see him and I go I never would have thought that Freddy Freeman was that good. I never would have thought that Matt Olsen was that good. Like you know that the eye test tells you that, yes, they're good, but the number test also confirms it. So you know, that's because I don't understand exactly.
Speaker 4: I do get it.
Speaker 3: How it's like you know where the ball is and you're making to catch all that stuff. I can tell you who some of the best are, and I can tell you who looks like they're, you know, kind of struggling out there. But how hard first base is? That was the first thing that you said, first base. As Ron Washington's character said in Moneyball, it's not that easy. And I think a lot of teams pay the price for thinking that first base is easy. The Mets and they just go ahead and put someone else over there. But I think teams that want to win kind of devalue this a little bit and just throw whoever over there.
Speaker 5: Terrifying first base is absolutely terrifying. These guys hit the ball so hard, and for me to be an outfield like, they hit the balls hard to me and right field, and fortunately I never got one hit on the bullet right at me. But man, the way infielders throw the baseball, baseball is aren't supposed to move like that. I took a throw from Carlos Korea that moved probably six feet from left to right or right to left, I guess it'll be from my perspective, and I was just blown away by it. So it takes a special breed to stand over there and and and show the real meaning of a first baseman. And I'm probably the farthest person away from this, this nerd knowledge of baseball, but with player perspective, we understand how it works. We just can't speak the nerd talk. So like Cratzy talked about range, how he picks the ball where it has and the you know, the body of where he's comfortable, how to how hot does he get. We understand those things. I can't just break him down for you. So I know guys like playing against Mattelson, watching him come up in the in the athletics organization, I knew he was going to be a fantastically defensed, a good defensive first baseman. Watching Freddie, and Freddie's been in the league for so long, everybody sees it because he's been easily one of the best first basemen in the last twenty years to play the game in baseball, legit Hall of Famer. So you see these guys every day and you understand what they can do. But I can't put it into an algorithm and speak to things like we're looking at you know, we see on the panel. So these guys makes perfect sense. And you look at guys like Christian Walker, who's up there as well. Julie Gurioh who's not even in the game is one of the top lists. Having to play with him was a lot of fun as well. So you get to appreciate those guys as a player, But yes, I think they can go very undervalued in this game because plays they make may not make the scorebook or the jumbo tron. But baseball guys know the moves and plays they make save baseball games.
Speaker 3: And rarely as a shortstop or a second basement. A third baseman winning a Gold Glove with a brutal first baseman usually they go hand in hand. Even though the first baseman may not win that gold Glove, he's over there picking a lot of mistake or some mistakes that the best shortstops make. I mean, I was on the team when Jimmy Rollins won a Gold Glove. Jimmy Rollins in practice, he would rarely throw a ball that would bounce. When I'll see this Escobar was playing shortstop, I worked out a lot at first base because Salvador Perez would never take a day off. So I'm like, okay, well, if they need somebody, I would be able to step in there. So I had to be ready. I'll see this Escobar. Every ball he would throw in practice right to my chest, right to my chest, so when the ball did get bounced, it was rare, and you need that first basement, like an Eric Hosmer who's able to pick that ball. But Josh said, he said, it's terrifying. I was in spring training and in spring training and surprise, as the Royals, you always play the Rangers. Well at that point in twenty fifteen, the Rangers had Prince Fielder and I go. It was bases loaded towards the end of the game spring training. It was a night game two and they go the bench coach. I look right into the I look right into the dugout, and the bench coach goes, hey, hey, grit, grit, play in, like we want you to play in.
Speaker 4: Prince Fielder was up. I was like, you play in.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna play right here there in no way I'm taking a snaphook from Prince field Er like it's gonna get to me quick. I got a good arm, I'll be able to throw it. I'll get the force out at the plate if you But I'm I'm living to face. I'm living to see that that b game on on field seven tomorrow. I am not taking a line drive off my shinberger here in spring training game.
Speaker 1: Not gonna have no definitely not all right, guys, So you've been through a lot of different eras of this game. I think, you know, back in the day, first base was your your left handed kind of bigger guy, power position. It doesn't seem like teams are valuing first base and their first basement with that specific mold anymore. Josh, I'll start with you. Are you seeing a change in how first basement are evaluated internally and the kind of player teams are looking for there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think it just goes back to it, and it's not just first base. You see a lot of route of while the players, guys that struggle middle infield gets shoved to the outfield just to keep them out there and keep their bat in the lineup. So I think that's probably more of the bigger pictures. Guys just have a more valuable bat to be put in a position that's not as important to them. I guess to break it down and be the best way. And if we can keep this guy in the field, he's going to drive in more runs and he's going to say for us at first base anyway, So in their heads it really works out for him in that perspective. But yeah, like I said, just the underappreciation for this position just keeps falling, and it makes you really appreciate those really really elite guys who can play over there and hit the ball at the same time, like Freeman and like Mattlson.
Speaker 3: So much gets muddled. So much gets muddled with value of players. Teams are afraid to pay, you know, do the Ruben Tomorrow mistake of giving Ryan Howard the money, which I don't think is a mistake, like you give a guy that absolutely bangs when you didn't have the DH that kind of cash. But throughout history, you know, you look at the most valuable players that played first base. It's kind of like relievers. How relievers are failed starters. Very few guys come up as first baseman. Very few guys are like, yeah, you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna always be a first basement in the bigleyes. Usually they're a left field or that moves to first and learns it and then they hit one hundred thousand home runs. Like that's the kind of thing that some teams view it that way. But then you also have, you know, your guys who are the greatest defensive first basemans of all time. And forgetting my buddy's name, I am such a bad friend, but I mean a Keith Hernandez he used to I mean, I'm not sure how many gold gloves he had. Now in the game, you have a man. I am just blanking on all names. But either way, like names like Mark m maguire played first base, Eddie Murray played first base, Todd Helton played first base, like guys who banged, and then they learned to play the position, and the better ones play there defensively. So it's not it's it's not one size fits all, but I think there's a value there, and I think the stat could probably give teams more value in different ways.
Speaker 2: And let's you.
Speaker 1: Guys make a great point about the value because Alec Burlson, again this year's leader, is probably one of the more undervalued players in all of baseball, and he is actually one of the more undervalued Cardinals up until this season. I mean, this was a guy that came up through the Cardinals system and when Saint Louis was doing their weird transition year, like, yes, we're trying to contend, but also like player development at the same time, let's do both. It was Burlison who saw the majority of his playing time cut so the Cardinals could prioritize the Nolan Gorman's and the Jordan Walkers, even though Burlison was outperforming those guys, and he just kind of kind of warrant. And we'll we'll hear from Alec Burlson later in the show. But you talk about someone who's been undervalue throughout his career, even perhaps by his own organization, Burlson comes to front of mind. Very cool to see him getting some credit here defensively. Also what he's been doing for a very surprising Cardinal squad this year.
Speaker 2: Been good to see ye one percent.
Speaker 3: And they probably could have saved some money had they not gone out and signed Wilson Contreras and said, okay, you got to play first base. They just they just poorly evaluated what type of catcher Wilson was, so they had to put him and his bat somewhere. You see the value he's bringing for the Red Sox now, And that's what I feel like the last few years under Mow, his last few seasons as a general manager, it felt like there was a lot of miscast players that were never getting that consistent every day at bat at a certain position, or they were doing well, got sent down. They were doing poorly, moved position to position, and it's good to see a young guy. I like this being able to solidify himself at one position and helping the team throughout the entire season. One of the things that I wasn't very good at, well, it's playing Major League Baseball. One of the things that I'm really good at is sweating. Even now when I'm not playing, I need hydration. I need to make sure it's convenient. That's why I choose Quints.
Speaker 6: Yep Quint's electrolyade stick packs to the rescue Kratz. They taste great and the zero sugar options are Stevia free. They're Keto approved, naturally sweetened with fermented rice, and like everything Quince does, they're thoughtfully made and priced well. At twenty dollars for thirty servings, they're less than half of the leading brand. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to Quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui Ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping in three sixty five day returns. Quinns dot com slash. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, street cure or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to foul Territory. Our next guest is Saint Louis Cardinals first baseman Alec Burlison, kind enough to join us before a key series against the Phillies in Philadelphia. Burley, bet you thought you'd seen the last of me. Thanks so much for joining the show.
Speaker 2: How are you today? I'm doing well, Katie. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, let's just get right into it. Your ball club has played some real good ball and there it seems like every week I'm hearing something new about the Saint Louis Cardinals, new guy coming up. We just saw what Joshua Bias did and his historic debut. You've come up through the Cardinals system. What is different this year with this young core than we saw in seasons prior.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the big thing is but we're just having a lot of fun. I think obviously we want to win every game, but.
Speaker 2: You know, our.
Speaker 7: Expectations are to come to the field and put ourselves in the best position to have success. And you know, let the wins and losses kind of uh, you know, take care of themselves.
Speaker 2: So it's a really fun group. It's a really fun clubhouse.
Speaker 7: I've I've enjoyed the season a lot and looking forward to what we can do here down down the stretch.
Speaker 3: Is it more fun than other years or is it just more fun because you're winning more?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously winning probably contributes to that, but.
Speaker 7: No, I just think with the young guys, like it's it's definitely weird being the older guy.
Speaker 2: In the locker room, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 7: But you know, everybody is enjoys being around each other. You know, we're having fun together away from the field, so and you know, like you said, winning probably contributes to that. But you know, it's just a really good group. And really enjoyed this group a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I just want to talk about you know, you've made the shift to first base, which Arion Cratzy and I talked about earlier about how terrifying it is for guys to play over there. Then some guys are just naturally gifted over there. How hard or easy for you was that transition going to the outfield to first base and not only just playing first base. But man, you're a fantastic first basement obviously, at the top of the list in the league of first basement, So can you tell us about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I grew up playing first base, like that's where I played, you know, growing up, and then kind of all the way through college I played mostly first base, and then when I got drafted by the Cardinals, they drafted me as an outfielder, and you know, played all out through the miners and then didn't play a game at first base in my professional career till I got to the big league.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm pretty comfortable over there.
Speaker 7: Obviously, you know, college or high school first base is a little bit different than the big league first base, so that took some adjusting. But you know, once I got my feet under me, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, I had a lot of good guys.
Speaker 7: Obviously Goldie was around him for a couple of years, and then you know, Wilson last year he was pretty good over.
Speaker 2: There too, So.
Speaker 7: You know, once I got comfortable and obviously been around this these guys on the infield with Mason and JJ, been around them a lot, and you know, know how they.
Speaker 2: Operate, so it's it gets a little bit easier, but yeah, I love being on the in field with those.
Speaker 1: Guys early, with with those maybe unfamiliar with your early Cardinals lore. I think you wrapped it up pretty concisely there. There was a lot of maybe back and forth on what was best for your development and your early seasons, and even up to last year with the Cardinals going through that transition season, it was you who saw your playing time cut early on, despite you being one of the better performers out there. And I remember a conversation we had in Milwaukee last year about that where you were like, it's going to work out in my favor. I just have to trust the process here and trust this organization, and to your credit, you did that. Not a lot of guys would have been able to handle that grace in which you did. And you're seeing the rewards here, the number one receiving first baseman in all of baseball, the starting first baseman for the Cardinals, and seeing just a lot of success and being one of those franchise spaces that hein Bluem and Ollie Marmele had hoped to kind of establish this year. What has been really fun and rewarding for you personally, about this season given what you went through early on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, kind of like you said, I.
Speaker 7: You know, I think coming up through the minors as an outfielder, I don't know if I get to the big leagues, you know, as quickly as I did. Obviously there was Goldie there for a few years, so I don't know if there was a need for first basement at the time. So you know, I think that was my quickest route to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: And you know, it wasn't pretty out there.
Speaker 7: You saw it like the outfield, if I could get to it, I was gonna catch it.
Speaker 2: But the problem was getting to the balls. So you know I did. I did. Okay, I'll give myself a little bit of credit in the outfield, but.
Speaker 7: Yeah, kind of like you said, uh, just kind of sticking to the process, understanding that you know, I just wanted to do whatever I needed to do to be in the lineup every day, whether that was you know, play the outfield, d h uh, and then you know, fill in at first base whenever, whenever that was needed.
Speaker 2: So you know, for me, I'm just.
Speaker 7: Glad that I kind of stuck to that and you know, didn't kind.
Speaker 2: Of throw my hands up and be like why, why why am I in this situation?
Speaker 7: And but you know, with the Cardinals, like they did a great job of uh, you know, communicating and telling me what was going on. And then you know, obviously, you know, this year, first base was was mine for you know, mine for the taking. So I decided to really hone in on that skill. And so yeah, it all worked out in the end, but you know, still got some work to do for sure.
Speaker 3: Does playing a different position change how you're at bats?
Speaker 2: Go?
Speaker 3: We we try as big leaguers to not take our defense to our offense, our offense to our defense, but be honest, Like, you came up as a first baseman. You said it, and they were like, hey, you got drafted, boom, you're an outfit. You're like, okay, well I guess I can hit here now you're in the big leagues. And you're like, all right, well, okay, this doesn't honestly affect your offense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I found that when I played the outfield, I thought about my bats a lot because there's nobody else out there to really talk to.
Speaker 2: You're kind of out there on your own. And then you know, once you get the first base, like.
Speaker 7: You're in every play, You're you're always you know, if you're holding a guy on like you're in the game, you can't think about your bet. So and then obviously, d H, I had all the time in the world to think about my bet. So, yeah, playing first base allows me to kind of, you know, free my mind and.
Speaker 2: Front from it.
Speaker 7: Bats and you know, flush whatever happened or positive or negative, and then you know, just just separate the two.
Speaker 2: But yeah, in the outfield, I found.
Speaker 7: Myself a little bit more frustrated, just because you know, you've just got so much time to think out there, and you know, you try your best, but yeah, first base makes that a lot easier.
Speaker 3: And Josh said, it's a shorter run between the dugout the first too, so I can I can appreciate that. Yeah, I can appreciate that too. You know, your legs are feeling good. But you've mentioned it, you've kind of clazed over it twice. You said nobody had talked to out there, and you said, I really enjoyed playing with Mason and jj on the infield.
Speaker 4: So is there like, are you a chatty Kathy out there?
Speaker 3: Or is there like, do you guys play games where like JJ sees the pitch and you're like, you hear him go and you're like, oh boy, here comes a change up. Like are there things inside the game that you guys are all like playing back and forth off each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely some secrets I'm not gonna share, but yeah, I definitely. You know, somebody gets on first base, I'm talking.
Speaker 7: To him, talking to the first base coach, talking to the umpire, Like, I wouldn't classify myself as a chatty kathy, but.
Speaker 2: If I'm gonna if i'm gonna be right next to somebody, I'm gonna talk to him. So I'm right next to JJ. We talk a lot.
Speaker 7: Mason's always talking out there. So yeah, I wouldn't say I'm a chatty Kathy, but I'm gonna have a conversation with you if you get the first base.
Speaker 4: Bella, Bella, Bella. I don't know where Bella is, but I know how to take care of my.
Speaker 6: Pupkrats while you find Bella. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks, because, let's be honest, VET bills can add up fast, and when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean your first basement, you got to be able to talk to whoever's out there. You got so many guys coming over to visit you every game, on any given situations. You make friendships out of it over there. I mean if not, it is completely awkward. If you're not saying anything, you just give them an old Ada boy and move on. You know, when I played, it was always about how you hitting them house things, going after your family, So a little conversations that, you know, for me was always cool because it gives you a little escape away from the game for a second, talk to another guy. You get to know one of the brotherhoods. So I know, you've got to be chatty over there. What's what's the most common thing you're talking about to a base running once he gets to first base.
Speaker 2: I mean, it could really be anything. You know.
Speaker 7: Sometimes I play the game within the game, and if I know it's a base stealer, I'm trying to, you know, distract them from from stealing a base.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to talk to them, maybe keep.
Speaker 7: Them over there for you know, one or two more pitches so we can turn double play, or you know, it could literally be about anything baseball and not baseball, family, what what they're what we're doing after the game, Like, it literally could be anything. So that's always I always leave that kind of up. I don't ever really push the conversation in any any direction.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it literally could be anything at first base.
Speaker 7: And I think that's the that's the fun part about it, is, like you said, you've been build those friendships and then you know, obviously we're playing the Phillies and We saw them last week, so you know, it'll be good to talk to those guys and just.
Speaker 2: You know, just see what's going on.
Speaker 3: Have you tried anything creative to keep the base Steelers from running, because one hundred percent of the guys that don't steal don't make it like if you tried the old like as you think the picture is gonna throw like old time time out, toma tum like something that like distracts the runner.
Speaker 4: And has it worked or has it not worked?
Speaker 7: No, I haven't really tried anything besides just trying to talk their ear off at first Base. We just we just left Cincinnati, and anytime Ellie gets over there, like I'm I'm talking to him, he's he's a great dude. Half the time, it's just conversation. But you know, sometimes it might be to try to keep him at first but no, I can try and mix that in. I can think about it and try and mix it in, maybe working on it this offseason, but you know, normally it's just the conversation, trying to keep him close.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's about it. Really.
Speaker 1: This has been just personally and professionally a huge year for you, you and your wife Mary, welcome to your first child, your first time dad to Braxton. You've also really been a face in this new Cardinal era. I think coming into the season there was a lot of question.
Speaker 2: About what you guys would look like.
Speaker 1: You know, fans were told be expecting a rebuilt and you guys said, perhaps not when you think about just how much the Cardinals have meant to you and how much fun you're having being kind of the new franchise face. How much of it means to you to extend your career in Saint Louis and be a part of this long term.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. You know, I love Saint Louis, My family loves Saint Louis.
Speaker 7: Obviously, all of the guys here I've played with for you know, either we played the miners together or we've been we've been with the Cardinals in the big leagues for a while. So yeah, I was thinking about that at the trade deadline this year, like, obviously we're we're building towards something that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's going to look really good in the next couple of.
Speaker 7: Years, and I would like to think I've I've been a small part of that, and you know, in the off chance this trade deadline that I was traded, Like I you know, it would have kind of hurt.
Speaker 2: A little bit just to leave that and leave what, you know, a little bit.
Speaker 7: I've contributed to to what this is going to look like in the next few years.
Speaker 2: So yeah, like I said, I love.
Speaker 7: Sayt Lewis, the fans and the staff and the players, like it's.
Speaker 2: Very comfortable, feels like home.
Speaker 7: And yeah, like you said that this is gonna look I'm not sure what it's gonna look like in the next few years, but I would definitely like to be around for it and and you know, contribute to a lot of winning baseball in Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Two things.
Speaker 5: First of all, great flow, great hair. Second of all, I have this is one question I'd love to ask guys. So for you, what was like your first like superstar moment You're going to cover first base after this guy got on first base and in your brain going holy crap, this.
Speaker 8: Is so and so standing next to me, it was probably it was probably my first game at first base.
Speaker 7: We had in twenty two when I got called up. We clinched the division in the Waukee and I played first base the next day, and you know, Yelich gets over there.
Speaker 2: He was one where I was like, all right, I'm in the big league. This is pretty cool.
Speaker 7: And then McCutcheon was over there that year, and just those two guys really stand out, you know, obviously watching him for a long time, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not now.
Speaker 7: It's it's weird because, like, you know, I don't want to make anybody sound bad, but they would kind of you know, you're the rookie, you're the young guy, your first base. They kind of, you know, I don't want to say, talk down, but it's kind of like, hey, buddy, welcome to the big leagues. And now it's like, you know, we have conversations, like I said, about anything, and so that that that's that's a pretty cool to see how that developed over the years. But yeah, those two kind of stand out just for my my first game, first game at first in the big leagues.