Speaker 1: Yo, this is Rory. I'm on the Bootleg keV show Long Overdue. Please stream my album I'm begging you, or find a streaming farm. I thought it'd be different out tonight. If you know someone that is a streaming farm, I really really appreciate it. But this Bootleg keV episode is great. We've been meaning to do this shit mad salacious clips. We talk about everybody.
Speaker 2: Bootleg keV Podcast Special guests.
Speaker 1: The homie Rory is yes, off the the Shroom gummies too, Off the Shroom. I took all seven, which I think says twelve.
Speaker 2: But you know, yes, you're about to have yourself a fucking trip.
Speaker 1: But I can't wait. Let's get let's get some headlines. Yo, we're both one on the list. Oh sorry to say. I was gonna say thank you.
Speaker 2: I wanted to thank you because you you, you and mag showed me some love. I know there was that a complex list that I don't know how you guys didn't make it. I have some ideas, but it's fun, but like I don't really like look into that shit too much. You know, I honestly like never expect to make that kind of shit. So like when I saw you guys shot me out. It meant a lot. It was cool.
Speaker 1: Man. Lists aren't important in the scope of things, but they're great to talk about. I love a list. I'm never above arguing about a list or just talking about shit, whether we're on it or not. But I felt you definitely should have been on it for hip hop media.
Speaker 2: And you guys should have definitely been on it.
Speaker 1: I mean, can we even have the conversation of what is hip hop media?
Speaker 2: Now? To me, you do hip hop media. I'm not even quite sure if Mal and I do hip hop media. I'm not sure if the podcast space is very much hip hop media per se. I think you guys are common touches.
Speaker 1: There's touches of it at this point, right, But podcasting has had to expand so much it's tough to like just do the hip hops that's become niche How crazy is that the biggest genre in the world. But podcasting has gotten so big you can't just do hip hop shit.
Speaker 2: I think that's why your guys and shit is so dope. Coud you guys talk about just everything, like whatever's going on, Like, you guys have a take on it for the most part, you know, and it's good. How's everything with this album?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: You know I used you had sent me, Well, you just sent me the album twenty was before he showed up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I saw the way I swore I sent it to you before and the way he had a bunch of songs before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that are on the album obviously, But I haven't listened to a front to back. But I know this has been like your baby for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a long time coming. I mean when I started, it was maybe like three years ago. And luckily I had a lot of great excuses for why it was taking so long. Right, one was the pandemic obviously, and especially for great excuse, I loved it. Can't do anything right. Also, even like with the other pod breakup, like I had to reset on a lot of stuff. So even getting mull and I's show up and running, and you know, starting from zero with a whole new show was a task in itself, where the album kind of took a bit of a back seat. So, you know, it was three years, but I can't say I worked on it for three years. Like I had to stop for a while, which was good though, because I mean there's records had I put this album out two and a half years ago, I probably would have fucking hated it, and I think I would have regretted, so like shot out to China for COVID and shout out to the Old Show for breaking.
Speaker 2: Up, like shout to the China virus. Yeah it really I'm sorry for everyone that lost grandparents, but it really helped my album.
Speaker 1: I lost my grandma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have money than I ever had in the pandemic, So you know, I can't.
Speaker 1: Tell by the plaques.
Speaker 2: Well, these plaquess, fucking these are bullshit. You know that they send people who play songs I ned to do another songs.
Speaker 1: You know, broke my heart when I went into certain producers studios and saw all the plaques, but then realized they were also DJs, right, and the labels used to just send out plaques like you worked on the Miseducation of Warren Hill, Like no.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, Like I got a lot of my og homies who have like a big l uh a big picture plaque from Raucus. Yeah, and then like I started to realize, like damn, everybody who's an old head in the music industry I know has one of these, Like not everybody could have worked on this ship, and what did you work on on the big picture? Like you live in La Yeah, like what happened?
Speaker 1: Like you know, but you got one production credit that I see here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like the DJ plaques thing is very like, uh I youn't know whatever. I mean, I'm not gonna fucking turn them away. They look nicely, of.
Speaker 1: Course, I'm justus. I have no plaques. I feel like I should have some, but I just never like went to collect.
Speaker 2: None of the emotional orange stuff has gone gold yet. Yeah, we're like quadruple platinum in Korea, so you got to get one of them.
Speaker 1: I have to get a Korean plaque for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, listen for people who don't know, because I feel like a lot of people know you, yeah, but they might not necessarily know your story. Kind of give me a breakdown on like how you got even because I think I first met you at like a Henny palooza in LA like maybe four or.
Speaker 1: Five years ago. Six years ago is downtown.
Speaker 2: But give me a breakdown of just kind of how you got into the industry. Obviously we know about the Joe Budden podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it started well before that. Yeah, So my barber in college by Barbara, I mean, the only guy that had clippers on the floor in the dorm. Shout out to my man Owen, who I'm still really cool with. He was interning at Deaf Jam and I didn't even know that was like a thing. I was like, you can, you can do that because there was like internship programs at our college. But again I was like a freshman, so I didn't know much about that, but I assume like internship was like you interned at the fucking financial aid office. Like I didn't know there was real internships per se. And he was like, yeah, I'll link you with the person I'm interning for because I guess like legally you could only do one semester deaf Jam at the time. So I interviewed with Sharen Taylor, who was at RCA forever, been in the business forever too. With her she was the assistant to Gabby Paluso. Ended up getting the internship and kind of just going crazy in that building. Like I was almost teetering on the line of annoying, but like I was right on that consistent line where people fucked with me. But I was in every single apartment talking to every single person, ended up linking with Shot Money and just or even with the neighborhood connection at that time. He took me under his wing, and then where Shah went, I went. So I would say Gabby Paluso, Shreene and Shaw Money were like the three people that really introduced me into the music business. That's actually how I met Benner. Benner was working with Shaw Money. Benner's now my manager. And this was when I was nineteen. I'm thirty three now.
Speaker 2: So did you meet Benner at one of those random beat conventions in Phoenix? Yes, that Sha used to do. What were those the producer conferences? What were those called?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I never could go because at the time I was doing radio in like Middle America. But yeah, I would always see my friends. I'd be like, God, damn, this is.
Speaker 1: It was the producer conference and shout out to Shan Money. Go because ahead of his time, he had every producer you could think of, all within like a convention center and they would have beats battles, they would have like conferences for producers. They would have like tech shit like shot is such an adult thing with that you. No, I was in high school. I think when yeah, how I actually met Benner, my manager in this you know the podcast knows them as well. Now was Better and Sean Money were doing this thing called deaf Jam Cipher Sessions. Shaw was VP of A and R at deaf Jam. Betteran was moving around the industry and they started this thing that was like the main act at deaf Jam at the time for their regions. So, for example, the first one was with Big Sean and then a bunch of opening acts and then an actual cipher at SOBS. Then they did the South one that had Big Crid Sahai. Then the la won in the lineup was fucking nuts.
Speaker 2: I think it was. Was it Kendrick dom Jesus was Nipsey on that too.
Speaker 1: Yg And this was two thousand and ten, Jesus, yeah day. So they just did different regions and we did them all at SOBS. I mean, I've talked to Big Sean later in life and he was like, yeah, that deaf Jam cipher session shit was like kind of the thing that made the building pay attention to me. I wasn't just the what you're doing bullshitting kid at that time, Like they were like, hey, maybe we should give them Marvin Games Shardine. So it was really cool to be on the ground floor with that stuff.
Speaker 2: And that's the way what happened at Rosco Dash. Anyway, continue he could be on an undercard for Versus and do I he I mean super undercard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like you know when people are walking in.
Speaker 2: It'd be like the soldier boy bow wow undercard.
Speaker 1: No, you have to put more respect on Roscoe Dash's name. He had some hooks that he could go crazy on. Great, Yeah he's got no hands Marvin Gan shard all the way. Yeah you have Rosco Dash fucked up?
Speaker 2: He got has he got a fourth or fifth and.
Speaker 1: He might have some writing credits that he could play as well.
Speaker 2: He lives in Arizona. By the way, I heard.
Speaker 1: This has just been the Arizona podcast already. Yeah, he was on Oh my, come on shout hey. Anyway, we got sidetracked with Roscoe Dash.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, from there I met Aristotle, who is a very talented music video director who now is doing feature films. He just went to Sun Dance. H He has a movie called Story of Executive produced by Jamie Fox, but had a company called By any means. He was actually Ja Cole's first manager, and we ended up connecting with Kevin Lyles at KWL and kind of just forming like we were their creative team more or less. When they had Sean Trey. That's when three hundred came in, so you know, early migos at that time, early young thug at that time. And we were just all on park Ad with fucking keV Leor and Todd just like doing the creer what the fuck are we doing here? And type shit. Leor sat across from me in a desk that's like this wow, Like not.
Speaker 2: In a cubicle that's fucking fire, and he would.
Speaker 1: Just ask me the most intimidating questions all the time with no context. Why should I know you? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like he could say anything.
Speaker 1: He's an intimidating guy for sure. Really really nice guy though, but he's intimidating as fuck. I'm real tight with his brother Maddy, but I've never met Leor if. I just watched all his interviews and I'm like.
Speaker 2: This, dude, I heard he's really tall, yes, and he just seems like he's just he speaks.
Speaker 1: Like a Russian hit man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he just leaves with like every every question is uh, to start to meet somebody with why do I need to know you?
Speaker 1: And you're like a nineteen twenty year old kid, like you know what, you don't need to I'm just go home.
Speaker 2: You don't need to know me. Bro, you're rich, like I mean.
Speaker 1: But no, that but that speaks to kind of why I think Leor amongst a million other things, has been so successful in this business. I was just some random kid that was doing ship and he was like, yo, what that wasn't a try to shit on me question. That was to try to get to know me. Here's your opportunity to tell me what you guys can do. And no, I didn't say I just want to go home. I showed him, Uh, stuff we were doing for the smaller artists on three hundred of like social clips and like Mike we built. No, it was this kid from God he's from Washington, not DC like state. I forgot his name, but we were doing a lot of stuff. Yes, this this guy named Mackelmore Travis shout out to Travis. So yeah, it was That's like was the early stuff before like Polosa and the pod hit and everything. I'm sorry if I bored people know that. I never think people want to know.
Speaker 2: That you have like a real, real I feel like not a lot like maybe people were just you know a lot of people see your guys as clips and they don't really necessarily die all the way in because you guys have like two or three hour long episodes. Yeah, so you have like real roots in the music industry, but.
Speaker 1: In both sides too. Like I did the label ship, I did the creative ship, I did the independent ship. Like I've I've kind of had every single aspect of the music industry, which I'm happy about.
Speaker 2: And then you guys obviously created a dope brand Henny Pulouza, which toward I mean.
Speaker 1: For forever then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love, yeah, do say it's do St palusin hour?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it still a thing?
Speaker 1: It's not a thing though, Okay, it's done. I don't know if I'm officially allowed to say that. But we're not. We're not coming back. It's over. Yeah. Sorry if we didn't have like more of a a whole closing type thing, but yeah, we we ended at the Barclays. That's the way COVID I seriously jokes aside was a huge part of that and then also after COVID, like we all got kind of old, Like that ship becomes exhausting when you're traveling around the world drinking yeah, like a lot. Yeah yeah, it becomes really really tiring. So I mean, it was an era, an incredible thing. I think it's in the lineage of parties within the culture, like I think and no way am I like saying we're the tunnel, but for our era, Like that's a staple for our era as far as what was going on in hip hop at the time with parties, and I think we changed how parties are now, Like the day party is the thing now, the branded party is the thing, the club the thing. The clubs are you know, have been dying. I think they're trying to make a comeback with these these new set of kids.
Speaker 2: I just opened a club in Scottsdale, and it's like it's been fucking great. M it's been amazing, But you know, we've been lucky. We kind of feeled that there was no hip hop clubs left in a Z so we opened the spot and opened it right before Super Bowl. Whatever happened to that rapper Juice from He Goes by Richie Evans, Now he was really dope, still is dope. Richie's dope. He's og Muggs, my boy. Og Muggs manages him, who's like Tech nine security and Need forty Security. And he just he just performed at Gary V's Vcon.
Speaker 1: Okay, a little different than Black Wall Street.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he goes by Richie Evans. Now he was dope. I was like Juice a lot. Juice was dope. Yeah, the Blackwaster. And then we had hot Rod who was signed a G Unit, and then we had Willie north Pole who was signed to Ludicrous.
Speaker 1: I remember Willie north Pole, and of course I remember hot Rod. Hot Rod had a record with Mary J.
Speaker 2: He did be easy. And you know the thing about hot Rod is he still lives in Arizona. He's kind of like a social media like he runs some funny pages and stuff shot to him. I think it's the Ship's Good Times Jackson on Instagram. But he was really from Sacramento, so Arizona really never embraced him like that because he was he was from Sacramento.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I mean we all thought he was firing Repedasy. That was a weird time in G Unit to be super weird.
Speaker 2: That was like when you could you could tell it was like, you know, I remember when I was super excited the MLP and Mob Deeper on G Unit, Body Blood Money was a decent album. There was some singles on there. MP never dropped the album on JUNI.
Speaker 1: Did they not that I remember, no, But I thought, even in my young naive time at that when they signed Mob Deep, I love Mob Deep, and I didn't think it was over for Mob Deep. I just thought it was weird that Gunit was signing acts older than them, and I was like, this is odd the MOP.
Speaker 2: Sign and love MOP Warriors is one of my favorite albums. I fucking love Mop. I just I was like, this is cool and shout out to As a kid, I wasn't thinking to myself, like why is fifty signing guys that are older than him? And underground is fun? Yeah, I was just like this is lit. Like I didn't think anybody was liked Mop but me, you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 1: I just figured it was all some petty shit behind the scenes because it wasn't MP on Rockefeller. Yeah, then I think yes, And then there was something there was some other g Unit petty beef that he also signed.
Speaker 2: That makes it the fuck you I'm signing MP by the way, that you don't know remix the only version of the song I prefer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree Blueprint too, you know what I mean. I'm glad this is the only podcasts I can have Juice conversations on. This is why so I didn't cover with my regular press friend. Shit, I just want to talk about Juice Arizona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you obviously did you ever have any sort of like idea that you would even because you're pretty like, you know, I wouldn't say you're like an outward personality, you know what I mean, You're you're a pretty like chill dude. Like. Did you have ever any sort of aspirations to be a personality or I mean, obviously you fell into the podcast situation.
Speaker 1: No, by any means absolutely not. Like even with Palooza, everyone knows Polusa. You never saw me unless you saw me losing my mind backstage, running around working like. I never wanted to be on stage, even when they would do like the moments of the toa snaw. Shit, I never I don't know. Maybe it's I don't know, if it's shyness, don't it's only child thing. I'm just not. I don't like attention. It makes me feel really really uncomfortable, and not in like the cool way people say it, like, it makes me really uncomfortable. So I didn't. But podcasting is rastically different in that regard. Like when we started the podcast, I was, you know, producing it for the first beginning of it before I got on an episode seven where the fuck it was? But that was very much a comfortable thing because it was amongst friends. It was something we could control, Like and it's you like palooza with the host on stage and ship like you have to be the bravado, the charismatic like that. That's something that I don't possess.
Speaker 2: So that would come across very inauthentic and corny, and I would you nuts very cringing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't think you want me to be like yo yo, put your motherfucking answer. I love I love swag Serf, but I should not be leading it. That's all I'm saying, motherfucker, we're about to do the swag surf. And even like I'm rory to be my new drop actually, and even with radio, like there is comma radio personalities, but there is very much the flex or Star or even Ebro has a lot of provider actually New York. Yeah, but that's that's a little tamer, Like you know, Envy's been very successful as a radio personality. Rosenberg too, and they're not like really loud people in that regard. But podcasting was even more in my corner. I could just be myself the entire time. I don't have to turn something on, like all right, we're back from a commercial break and it's like that was number ten, Like I I would it would just feel corny to me, and I think it would come across that way. So it was never something I wanted to do, but podcasting for sure, and that's opened me up Paul's to other things that I probably wouldn't have done, like even with the live shows. I shot my own live show for the role out of this album, Like I got more comfortable in that space knowing that I can do it myself and do it the way I want to do rather than the structure of what a radio would be or what a party host would be or you know, a TV host would. I can do the ship the way I want to. And that's why I love podcasting.
Speaker 2: And you're not you're obviously not screaming all over your album.
Speaker 1: No, I fucking wish.
Speaker 2: Shutry Lenox pret bl.
Speaker 1: I thought about it another two I thought about it. I actually had. I had a good amount of skits that were pod related throughout the album, like in the early phases of it. But then it started to feel too much uh not parody, I would wouldn't use that word, but it felt too much like the pod shit, like this wasn't as serious as what the album became.
Speaker 2: You kind of wanted people to like, I mean, yeah, I mean I respect it, like you want people to take take the music very serious. And I'd be like, is what is this? This is the podcast guy?
Speaker 1: And it was fun with someone like the pod skits I had in between, and maybe I will do that one day after. I hope people take me seriously on this one. But yeah, it felt like I was I was doing a joke.
Speaker 2: Do you because obviously there has been like you know, compilation albums have been a thing in hip hop for sure, but uh even more recently some of my Callity Who's Fucking Huge and the Metro Metro Booming produces, but that's one of my favorite albums. YE recent memory there hasn't really been I mean I could be wrong, but there really hasn't been somebody in my peripherals that has done the R and B route.
Speaker 1: No. I mean you can think of like a Robert Glasper who's producing everything and putting like Black Radio three, who was one of my favorite albums last year. So there's always been those type of like producer albums per se. And you're like, yeah, and I mean still, you know, still very much have a hand in the production, arranging and writing of everything. Not to the degree of course that Robert Glasper does, but yeah, very much a part of each record. I yeah, I think R and B needed that because this it started out more as like an original playlist is what I was gonna call it, Like let me get original records from artists and put together my own playlist of original music. And then that turned into like, hey, this feels more like an album, and I've never seen anyone in R and B do this. And even with like the Khalid perspective, he gets the biggest names, which is great, but there is especially now such a sub genre where superstars aren't as important anymore. Sure and fans have these huge, huge cult fan bases, Like you know, when you go on streaming and it says an artist page, you may like under here. Yeah, that's almost this version in an album, because there's so many like artists that people have not heard of, but they've heard of another artist, and this fan base is just waiting to hear from this artist. So let's put them together. And then you do get moments where I'll get a Jay Electronica and put them on a song with Reggie, who is brand new. That would never happen on a Kalid project. It would just be j Electronica and fucking jay Z. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like, let me do some stuff that wouldn't happen otherwise unless I do it.
Speaker 1: And I'm a huge Griselda fan.
Speaker 2: I've always on the always wanted to hear Conway on something that would be more played at H and M.
Speaker 1: More of a dance record. Uh, you know something you can try on tight T shirts too, and Conway doesn't sound weird on it. Lo No, Yeah, that's one of the records you sent me.
Speaker 2: That's fucking shout out to Conway, who I feel like Conway can really do anything.
Speaker 1: Oh he I.
Speaker 2: Don't think I told this story. Ben O may Tols. I don't know when I sent it to Conway.
Speaker 1: I met up with him at engine room in U in the city and he's like, why did you send me that record? And I was like, fuck, what the fuck did I do? Because you know, just like Lee or he's an intimidating guy, just for different reasons aigrette yeah and a whole bottle any And he was like, why did you send me that that type of record. I was like, I mean, I just wanted to hear you on something like that, and he was like, no, thank you. Everyone just sends me beats that sound like Alchemists or Darren and he was like, I would have done the verse for you, because like, I fuck with you. But when you sent that, like I got excited to come cut this first. Finally someone sent me something that wasn't in the same realm whenever they want to fucking Griselda feature. So that like those types of sessions were like real wins to me behind the scenes, like I was able to get artists to do shit that they wanted to do but maybe didn't have the opportunity to do as far as sound.
Speaker 2: A lot of times these guys get typecasted with the type of beats they they get sent. Mean, it's like you know, I've heard I heard a there was a I don't know if Conway ever played you this song he had that's never gonna come out, but we've talked about it on the podcast. But he had a record with hit Maker that was on a hit Maker beat that's sampled. I think it's sampled some big or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I record my phone.
Speaker 2: Boogie's on it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I choked him.
Speaker 2: That record's fucking crazy, super crazy single.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think. Uh, I'm not gonna speak on the politics of of what stopped that, but uh, that record was crazy. It was it was a biggie sample, a boogie. I think someone else on it, maybe Jeremi maybe, yes, could be I have it in my phone from a long time ago. But there's a lot of those those beats that I feel like Riselda wanted to do and had to wait. But I think they took their time in the right way. I think what Benny's doing, I think, you know Conway with the Justice League thing that's about to come out as well as Perfect and Yeah, I think they've they've changed their their sound.
Speaker 2: I just watched the entirety of your guys's blog era A Jeopardy or whatever the fuck it was. I watched the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Instagram, Jeff Eric, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because they have the new the new podcast.
Speaker 1: Which is phenomenal by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first episode was great because I was like, Wow, the blog era, this is my life. Yeah, but that shit was that shit was that was great?
Speaker 1: Man, That was a fucking yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was you won too. I think that's everybody.
Speaker 1: That's my era. Yeah, that's definitely my era. And I mean and where I'm home home turf SOB stage.
Speaker 2: Like that's where I was birthed. Oh it was at Sobs. Yeah, people, if you know, you know type of thing that was once Like once it was such a staple.
Speaker 1: For New York City and the blog era was like, we could shoot this at my crib, we could shoot this at some stage, but doing it at Sobs made it feel cooler, even if no one realized we were at Sobs.
Speaker 2: Who to you is like the biggest blog era? Would it could have?
Speaker 1: What if Charles S. Hamilson by far?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, me too.
Speaker 1: It's not even close. And I mean that, and I mean that respectfully. I don't mean that.
Speaker 2: And like I remember, there was that YouTube video of Charles Hamilton backstage. I think the Game was in. It was Kanye there. Yes, Charles Hamilton is a snapping he was a it was like the Green Lantern mixtape where he sampled Stained Outside.
Speaker 1: I'm on the.
Speaker 2: Wait, am I am? I confusing that with fucking that's Charles Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm sure he's sampled staying before. I got almost guarantee it.
Speaker 2: I'm confusing that or removed music, but I mean the uh Joe also sampled that Pink Liba lamp was one of my favorite from the blog era as far as mixtapes. And if you look at Charles Hamilton outside of just his sheer talent, he had Jimmy Ivan and Jimmy Iven banked on him too. That's a different type of animal when you have Jimmy Ivien. That's why he's in rooms with Game in Kanye that early and it just sea was the pink backpack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just listen man, mental health and prayers to him. I know he still does make music. But I'm always been a Charles Hamilton fan. I don't mean that in a way like would meet too, but I know he went at him. I mean he was and he was even I think two years ahead of even where music was about to go with the blog era as far as I don't like the word nerd, but switching over to that trying.
Speaker 2: Like an actual nerdy guy. Yeah, like yeah, he referred himself as a blogger before it, Like for sure, I remember, Uh, there was a song that he sampled. Was it he sampled? Uh, like the sounds of like windows, and like I forget what it was. But he he also had that high output that got to the point where I was just like, I don't know what's going on anymore. Yeah, I don't know how many z share fucking links. This guy's fucking dropping. He had like fucking thirty mixtapes. And then he ended up beefing with Roys over the Dila thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was a mistake, but that's being it felt like that was the beginning, being the quote unquote nerd and not realizing even if you are from Harlem, Cleveland, whatever, like not knowing that you're just a Jade Dila fan, but not realizing how offensive that could be to the family that you just said your album was executive produced by him and he passed. You didn't even doubt, like you didn't even steal some Dilla beats on the internet, Like you just said you saw him in a dream and he executive produced it. And it's like that can get really offensive to people that were friends with him. And now he's dead, Like, yeah, he tried to make and Detroit is just not one of those cities he tried to make. Protect Jake Dilla.
Speaker 2: When you trying to make a comeback a few years ago, was it three or four years ago? Yeah, I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did. He did an interview on Hot ninety seven. I think he had a record out with Rita Aura was like the comeback I think. So I could be wrong, but I think Rita Aura and he looked healthy, but you could tell he was like really really on meds, like meds had mellowed him out, like a little too much, right, And I think he just wasn't ready for a comeback because it didn't look like there was creativity. It just looked like he was mended the fuck out. Didn't make it under your album. I would definitely work with Charles Hanmilinson, depending on where his health was. As far as like a human being.
Speaker 2: He's an alien bro.
Speaker 1: He's amazing, and all the stunts that he did at that time, we would deem genius had there been a different result. And I think a lot of the result had to do with his mental health and the situations he was in. But all that shit we're talking about with the thirty albums, all the Internet shit he was doing, only putting music out on his website, even the stunts he was doing with the Lady Gaga shit, the Rihanna shit, even down to the j Dilla thing to some degree, if that would have panned out better and he wasn't who he was as a person, we would be like, Charles SAMs is a genius.
Speaker 2: He mastered the Internet first, Yes, exactly, and it's ahead of his time.
Speaker 1: And that's what's so crazy about the Internet and artists like it just takes like one or two things that can change your entire legacy from looking like a genius to looking like an absolute one.
Speaker 2: I always say that shit about riff Raff. I'm like, guys, riff Raff was so ahead of the cloud era, like he was like the original, like SoundCloud cloud rapper. He was just doing this mother got a world star tattoo of BT Tatty.
Speaker 1: What is he like? What does he do now?
Speaker 2: He still he's just joked like he looks like a fucking bro. He looks like a gnarly wrestler bro, like he's got a mullet and fucking shades. And I don't know, man.
Speaker 1: I'd never really paid attention to riff Raff like that.
Speaker 2: I always just loved his YouTube videos where he would just like ramble because he would just say, like he's genuinely like a fucking funny guy. Yeah, but I never, like, you know, dived into riff Raff's music. I did DJ for him once at Ultra in Miami.
Speaker 1: Please let me know how that went, Like, how'd you guys put the setlist together? Can he tell me the green room? So I got hit up to what was on the rider?
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. He used the best I was living in tamp at the time, and at the time, Riffrass got a fucking uh I style shark grill naturally right right right, So they needed a DJ. My boy Mike Leberman was working with him, So I had a DJ for him at Ultra and at the like, he's performing a bunch of girls. He's got all these cutouts of himself and his husky. He's got a husky that's famous. Okay uh And then like on the fly, he decides he wants to dj inn DM set like on my computer with my library.
Speaker 1: Yeah so you had everything set up? No, I did it? I know.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm trying to like talk him through, like you know, there's like intro mix show, intro versions of songs, and I'm like on the fly trying.
Speaker 1: To, like hip hop DJ trying to teach someone who's never DJ'ed how to do an DM set.
Speaker 2: In the middle of during his set at home at Ultra and it was perfect. It was a fucking mess. Good guy though, Good guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still stay in contact.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked for a while. He's a nice guy though.
Speaker 1: I like.
Speaker 2: I like, well, if he lived in Chandler, Arizona for a while, him is huskies.
Speaker 1: Everything does go back to Arizona.
Speaker 2: I guess they do.
Speaker 1: What do you want from me? Man?
Speaker 2: Ghost sons? But yeah, no shout out to refer you know who else was a big what if for me?
Speaker 1: Was x V Oh love x V Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, I haven't that album? Yeah, XV was Dope, executive produced by Just Blaze, Zero Heroes.
Speaker 1: What did happen to x V?
Speaker 2: I still follow him. He just put out some music, but he had that he had Zero Heroes, which was.
Speaker 1: So firey pre pre blog era. And I was talking to Jeff and Eric about this. I don't think it ever made you know on camera though. There was a time when I thought Drake and Nicholas f were a group because they they were because at a time, like even before blogs per se, it was just like there would just be websites where they would just post a bunch of fucking music. There was like thirty five Drake and Nicholas f shit And then Comeback Season came out and I was like, oh, did they split up? Yeah? What happened to that guy too? By the way, Nicholas has been around, I actually think he was doing something in media.
Speaker 2: I remember point there was a random Fonte Drake record. Was Nicholas f on it with them?
Speaker 1: No, you're talking about think good Thoughts? That was not a random record, relaxed. It's an incredible record.
Speaker 2: It was like it was like a Lucy No.
Speaker 1: It was on Comeback Season ninth to the beat L's I think was supposed to be. There's an LZI verse that didn't make it, I believe, and I'm really nerding out now comeback season, think good thoughts. Fante Drake.
Speaker 2: You have Fonte on this album I Do Yes, which is like amazing, bigger than having Hove on it to me, Little Brother my favorite.
Speaker 1: Artist, and it's not even close.
Speaker 2: Fante is a special guy. Uh, It's crazy how historically slept on he is, how talented he is. He's amazing singer too. You got him sing singing or rapping singing, Yeah, because he could sing. He's what was the project he was putting out for Exchange. This is very much Nicola Nickolay was very talented. Yeah, other side on my album is definitely Fante and shout out to be my Fiasco.
Speaker 1: Who's sign of Fante? Extremely talented singer from North Carolina. It's very much in the early Foreign Exchange house bag, which was some of my favorite stuff. Like you know, I was a rap NERD fan, but Little Brother as far as like even the samples Ninth would pick or Fonte getting into the Foreign Exchange bag kind of not of course introduced me to R and B. But as a young kid that was such a hip hop nerd. It made me pay attention to it and start to do the D dives I had done with the hip hop shit and Yeah, so Fante being on this R and B project is like such a full circle moment because so much of what he was putting out when I was twelve years old was on this album. Like what I started to appreciate within R and B came from that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you like Minstrel Show or listening more Mitchell Show?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm allowed. I don't know either of us are allowed to say.
Speaker 2: That I like this. Oh, I mean yeah because the name of the Ambu, But I fucking love Mitchell Listening, of course is incredible and a classic. But as much as I am their underground rap nerd fan, I am very.
Speaker 1: Much just equally as big a fan of hip hop that people would say isn't real hip hop like popular hip hop? Right, I'm really into that type of stuff, And the Minstrel Show to me, was the perfect balance for Little Brother where they had to try some shit where their their core fan base may not like, but someone like me loves that shit, Like go to Atlantic, go try to get.
Speaker 2: A hit record because I like hit records. I'm not that nerdy fans like, don't sell out, like not sell out a little bit.
Speaker 1: It could work. A hit. HiT's a hit for a reason. It's you know, And I mean, of course they did, but they ran into politics with loving it. But yeah, to me, musically like minstrel show is perfect. The listening is very much in that college dorm, which and you.
Speaker 2: Kind of look like Joe Scutt a little, so you probably were like, yo, Joe Scutta, Yes, I could make it too.
Speaker 1: Who who was a friend and everything? Guy walks around with me.
Speaker 2: And we've got a restaurant in Atlanta, right he does, Yeah, shout to Joe Scuta.
Speaker 1: And every time I go to his restaurant in Atlanta, the staff always asked me if I'm related to m every single time. You're Joe's cousin. No, just a fan.
Speaker 2: That's big dad Fante on the project. You got drums on there, yes, Ari Lennox. Who else is on this?
Speaker 1: James Fonsbory is on the project. And I mean, can I brag? Of course? Maybe I'm only when that finds that fucking insane. I don't even know who that is. You don't know who James Sponsor is. He's probably one of the greatest writers of all time. Are you familiar with Cocaine Eighties. Yeah, of course, he's a singer of Cocinadies. Oh shit, see yeah, do you like the twenty twenty Experience by Justini Cocain Eighties was the shit that No Idea, No Idea produced.
Speaker 2: This was with No Idea last night. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Let him know we won another Cocaine Eighties project. But yeah, he also wrote all of twenty twenty Experience for Justin Timberlake. He's from my favorite Justice Jilake album. Yeah, he's He's a legend to me, and Cocaine Eighties is by far one of my favorite groups, even though there is only four mixtapes.
Speaker 2: I remember, Yeah, those tapes were crazy and.
Speaker 1: I was even looking up old tweets when we put that record out, and it was kind of like a really cool full circle moment. It made me like feel a little stanish about the amount of times like I was tweeting James Sponsorroy in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's crazy how long ago that is.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: If you think about like I was just talking to my boy because I was we're talking about high school, and I was like, bro, high school was twenty years ago, twenty like that, sh it's crazy. This shit feels like it was like six years ago. Like it's just terrifying to look at what I thought for sure. You know, I've had to delete so much shit on my Twitter and not even on like the cancelation that's not what I'm talking about, and no home was. I had to take off my Twitter timeline.
Speaker 1: That's one thing. Yeah, that's just a whole separate issue, just looking at like just dumb shit, like you really like you really thought you were smart at that age. For sure. I was really talking very confidently on Twitter at twenty one years old, like I really o the world figured out for sure, and I was like judging other people.
Speaker 2: And the fashion ship was crazy, even like when you guys did that blog air thing and the old boy dressed he had the good Wood fucking yeah, I was like, damn that was that was a wave, the Goodwood and the fucking loud ass ten deep and had I had a ten deep a long sleeve shirt on. Oh and that man all that shit Snapa Castle was a diamond supply. This yeah, the snapback ship it was fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: Karma Loop era.
Speaker 2: Karma Loop. I remember you go on that Karma Loop to see what I would just get whatever it's on sale. Yeah, they have like all little independent brands and shit. I got so many random just hip hop tea's like rock Smith and all that shit like that.
Speaker 1: That was a fun era too. And I know where we've been staying on the blog, Ara, but I don't mind. When I was with Aristotle and by any means, we had an office before we went in with Kevin Kwl. We were in the Karmel Loop office for a year and a half. Maybe I'm talking about like when the Fat Jew was walking around way like when he was a rapper and like his kid like Joey Badass and his friends who were like in high school, would just run a fucking muck like was Karmel Loop.
Speaker 2: Was that a Boston thing?
Speaker 1: It started out that way and then they went on twenty seventh Street in the city when they got like a lot of investors, and that's when we were in there. And like, just thinking back, the office era is gone. And I don't know if this is bad content, but that Karma Loop office was a place for like all creative kids, the ASAP kids were in there, The New era kids were in there, running into people like Fat Jew and Clyk. Clearly we see where he is now. Pharrell would be in there, like just it was just a spot to hang out, and even pre COVID, I just don't think that happens, or maybe I just got old and there is like even a Life was a store in New York, but that was a place kids hung out. Like there's no stores. Everything's gotten so fucking corporate.
Speaker 2: There's just not a lot of kicking it anymore. Like I was at an event. I was at Killer Mike's album released party last night, and I was like, this is one of the first times I've because I don't be doing shit brouh Like if it ain't like Killer Mike or something like I really fuck with or I ain't getting paid, I'm just not there.
Speaker 1: Like the last I saw and say what you will about Adam twenty two, I'm not here to have any of that conversation. But when I went to his like compound that he has now, when Maul and I did the show with him and ad I was like, that was the last time people were just hanging out yeah. I was like, damns, I missed when people did this.
Speaker 2: You've been in the new spot, yeah anyway, and it was just mad young kids hanging out, older people hanging out, creatives hanging out.
Speaker 1: Like that's those spaces don't exist anymore. I was happy to see that when I went to No Jumper.
Speaker 2: Year to do the fig Community World Today, right, yeah, with the well eight spot. Yeah, that's that's the name of the show Community World I.
Speaker 1: Think, right, yeah, but it won't be at the No Jumper No of course. I was like, now you've ben keV No. It's like, I don't know if you missed it. There was a there was a big thing.
Speaker 2: It was a huge thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I mean I feel like I started that trend, but you know.
Speaker 2: Just breaking away.
Speaker 1: Oh, these breakups are my sons.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen. That's why when I interview I had a D on the show him and t Rail right after, and I was like, hey, man, I've known a D for a very long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, you got really thick skin. I was like, you mean to tell me you were planning this all along? You You took so much offense to someone saying you had the same three jokes that you said, fuck you, I'm out.
Speaker 1: I love. I don't know if you watched our episode of the No Jumper AD break up clip, but I said something very similar. I'm like, all right, I'm not saying AD is not allowed to feel offended, but some just isn't adding up.
Speaker 2: You want to leave, bro, Yeah, something like you got your out?
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I even went as far as to say, like, all right, if that's all that was said in my last pot we'd still be potting for sure. I was told not to show up to your son's birth way different than hey, you make the same joke for like, bro, what like you have thick skin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've said worst thing. I've making fun of eighties Veneers for five years since he got them, like on the radio in La, Like yeah, I mean there's definitely a compilation clip we can make of me talking about eighties teeth. Whel was talking about him with Hannibal Burst because Hannibal Burst, but I was on called Veneers and I was like, have you seen AD's teeth?
Speaker 1: What is I'm scared to click Hannibal rapping. I'm very scared to click it. I'm a huge Hannibal Burst comedy fan. So even when he would do his rap shit on stage, when he would do his t pain shit on stage hilarious, he did the mumble rap thing. I'm terrified and this is crazy coming from me because I'm a podcaster that he is talking about putting an album out on Friday. So so I'm not taking away from his town. Yeah, I'm just scared to click it.
Speaker 2: So he put a song out called Veneers that is like a more of a comedic angle. Okay, easing into it, I get it. He played me some stuff that was really good. I mean I was like, yo, you're he I guess he's been rapping before he was doing comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know he's always been a real real hip hop fan. Like for the stuff he played me was really good.
Speaker 2: He has another song that's coming out called like I Like Lift Weights. It's like a joke song. I mean, it's cool, it's it's you know, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's gonna obviously run into issues of people taking him serious, you know, but he.
Speaker 1: Has to do like a Leakers freestyle or like a Sway. Yes, like he just to he has to I understand easing people in the five Fingers of Death or something exactly. And like Shia lah Boof would have dropped an album after he did sway, people would have been like, oh shit, let.
Speaker 2: Me go check this Shia lah Boof album.
Speaker 1: He kind of went crazy.
Speaker 2: He went crazy on that ship. What happened after?
Speaker 1: Like he was working wealth another Charles Hamilton's situation. Man super talented people that unfortunately get in their own way of things they probably can't control. But he but even like Hannibal, I love that he's doing that. I hope he doesn't go full like little Dicky with it, where like every song is gonna be kind of a joke.
Speaker 2: No, he played me some serious songs that were dope, like he was really rappid.
Speaker 1: But he should be able to do that. And I mean kind of the same thing with my project, Like, yeah, we are creative in one area, we can also be creative in other places.
Speaker 2: Like people are gonna always want to put you in a little box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially Hannibal is certified comedian, Like it's solidified. Oh fucking I'm sure he's doing fine financially as well, So why not go do some shit that you like, like move on to the next thing. Still do comedy.
Speaker 2: But that's what I mean. It's pretty much what he's saying. He was like, now if I get booked for a comedy show, like they know, they have to know, Like I'm gonna also do some of my music. Yeah, you know, like I'm gonna do the stand up thing, but I'm gonna do some music.
Speaker 1: And what I mean even podcasting, Like most of the podcasters that are doing shit, we're doing stuff before we didn't go to school for radio broadcasting. Like we're all doing other shit and we're like, oh well, we have good opinions, we know how to express ourselves. Let's do this. This seems like a long form version of that for.
Speaker 2: You guys, Like, uh, obviously you guys had never planned to break away and do your own thing. It's gone really really well despite not making.
Speaker 1: Lists it think about hanging it up, but it's.
Speaker 2: Gone really really well. You guys are doing a great job. I feel like, you know, I think like I feel like you guys each have like such a dope, like nuanced perspective on a lot of shit. That's like I just like to hear you guys talk about music, you know what I mean. Don't feel like there's any hatershit going on. But for you guys, like, how are you guys approaching on the creator side, like the business of this whole thing, because I'm sure once you get on the other side of the curtain and you're like, oh, this is how much money's out there? Yeah? For yo, what up's Bootleg?
Speaker 1: keV.
Speaker 2: We got to stop the interview to tell you about our folks at my Bookie.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So many ways you can gamble with my Bookie right now. Man. Of course, you got NBA Playoffs Western Conference Finals, Eastern Conference Finals, they're set. I love Celtics first Lakers in the finals.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: You can sign up at my Bookie dot ag right now using that promo code Bootleg and get a very generous first deposit bonus. That's right. And they just got the craziest like revamp of the online casino. It's like a Las Vegas experience. If you play cards, blackjack, roulette, you shoot dice, whatever it is. They have like live dealers handling it for you wherever you're at. You could be at the airport and be playing fucking roulette on your phone. It's amazing. My Bookie dot Ag sign up with that promo code Bootleg. Right now, you can bet on sports, you can do slots, you could do blackjack, craps, whatever you're into. My bookie dot ag promo code Bootleg for that first deposit bonus and it is a generous one. Also, got to give a shout out to our family at King Palms. Shout outs to King Pom. Man if you only know about King Poms. They are a new sponsor on the Bootleg Cap podcast and they got such a product. The best thing about King Palms is it's all organic. Man, no tobacco in these wraps. They're straight leafs. And the best thing about them is they got this product, their flavor turping tips. All right, you stuff them? What's your product? Do?
Speaker 1: We got one here? We go on here, right, we got one right here, We got one right here?
Speaker 2: All right, you stuff this with your premium cannabis from Hardy in Las Vegas. All right, you smoke up, pinch that tip. You're gonna get a burst of flavor. Yeah, this is the energy drink flavor. We got peach, pineapple, we got watermelon wave. Also, don't forget the goddamn blue grapes.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And Also, this is a tobacco free wrap. It's totally organic. It's literally a leaf let. Me show you what I mean. That is just a big ass leaf guys. All right, So what you could do is go to Kingpom dot com. Weeds flying everywhere, kingpom dot com promo code Bootleg and now you can get fifty percent off of whatever you order a King And don't forget to check them out because they're everywhere. Your local smoke shop, your local liquor store, seven to eleven smoke the King Pom. All right, it's organic. It ain't like all that other bullshit. Y'all be fucking stuffing in your lungs, man, all right, shout out to King Pom, kingpom dot com promo Coote Bootleg right now, and it's actually promo cot Bootleg CAV Promo Coote Bootleg CAV, not Bootleg Bootleg CAV. Kingpom dot com half off everything. Let's get back to the interview.
Speaker 1: We did it. We did a great, great deal with Serious and Stitcher that I can't say enough good things about. They've They've been really good. And it was a licensing deal. We were able to own our entire catalog. Once the deal is up, we can leave with our catalog a lot of licensing deals. They'll hold your catalog for five to ten years. Just like a platform. Is that a podcast? So they're a big podcast platform that Sirius ended up purchasing. Yes, so we're Stitcher. We have a deal with Stitcher, but serious own Stitcher. So what does Stitcher get? So Stitcher gets our content and they're able to license our just our audio content, not our video, to advertisers that they have within their network.
Speaker 2: So you guys are able to monetize the audio aspect of the podcast, which is a big deal because for you guys, you're like, well share our brand and butters YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure, So we're gonna get.
Speaker 2: This bag up here on the audio side, what are we doing.
Speaker 1: And we already know that the audio aspect unless you're doing things like It's the Real with the blog era or Cereal, like even like what Kenya Barris is doing with like those you know voiceovers and listen to Bill Simmons a lot, so much of where our genre is already, Like I'm not saying anything that I'm not saying some groundbreaking shit right now, everything's moving into visuals, So us holding onto our visuals was very much important. But like I was saying before of how I'd paused the album, to get this ship up and running, it requires some capital. And if we can give up our audio just on the licensing side, so we can get this ship moving and hire the right people and get the studios and get equipment. Like that's especially with the window we had, Like if you.
Speaker 2: Guys had a window where it was like everyone's looking at Rory and mall, what are they gonna do next?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So's it's so.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's funny to hear, you know, with the Internet, with the checkchasing thing, which is, you know, people sound smart to people that are dumb, so I don't even really care to try to correct them in that regard, but to checkchase in our situation is insane. Yes, we did take a check for an audio licensing deal to get some capital up and running. Like, so we have our visual I'm not sure where we'll be when this deal is done. But I have nothing bad to say about Serious or Stitcher. I loved everything that we did with them.
Speaker 2: So they don't touch any of the YouTube revenue.
Speaker 1: No, oh wow, so you're you're double none at all. So yeah, it was. It was a great situation for the time that we were in. But to your original question, that also allowed us to see the landscape now that we could kind of relaxed for a second while getting our staff together, while getting our space together. Like you know, I know we were on that pod for five six years prior. That does get erased when you don't leave with anything from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't take you're not taking anything.
Speaker 1: I don't take a camera. I don't take the camera. I don't take none of like and on top of that, with podcasting, people don't talk about the synergy amongst the camera guys, the editors, right the day to day people, the managers. Like that's a big thing in itself too. Yes, Maul and I have chemistry because we were on a pod for so long. You can put a mic in front of us and I'm confident we can get great content. But to take it to the next level, that requires building a team. That's that's why podcasting is so valuable because there's so much chemistry. That's what people are attracted to that happens behind the camera.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: That chemistry is not just on the microphone, so that took some time as well, and that takes capital too. Like the type of people that I want to work with aren't going to work off a dollar and a dream, and they wouldn't wouldn't want to do that to them. So yeah, I thought our our serious deal was the perfect thing to take. And it wasn't the most amount of money. Like we have higher offers for licensing deals that I did not think worked best for the situation that we were in. The wanted to own more, they wanted more. In some cases there was companies that wanted to own some, but in other cases there was people I just felt wouldn't license our content in the best way. And I'm not going down to the.
Speaker 2: Ads for say like blue Cheo and ship, but just how they would deal with Wait a second, Oh no, we're big shout out to blue Shoe, Bluetoo dot com, keyword boole.
Speaker 1: Oh no, our podcast is the Blue Live crew, you know not?
Speaker 2: Oh I love the Blue schooe man.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, we just wan we pop the even when we don't have you know, just where a dick just wake up in the morning with that Blue Shoo dick man. But even with the higher money. I just some of those companies I didn't feel like I wanted to be in business with. They need to do more serious made the most sense with the amount of freedom we would get, capital we would get, the time the deal was, and what we had to turn over in the small window we had. So, you know, I love the narratives that have been put out there. I laugh at them too.
Speaker 2: I'm a big I'm on Reddit all the time as well, Like I see everything and content of course not that's not my algorithm, my lack of my lack of responding does not make something true. And I know me saying that does not matter to the internet, but I don't care. Is there Like so the only Reddit thing I jumped into was the no jumper reddit.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's that's nicey, It's a nasty place.
Speaker 2: Well because I so, I was hit up by Adam to do the first show without a D and T rail. This was the day that he fired Lush on camera. He hits me up and he's like, hey man, you down to do the show tomorrow And I was like, I've been on the show before, So I was like, yeah, okay, whatever, no idea. You know, then I see oh, this will fire Lush on camera today. So I call a d I'm like, hey, man, uh, what's going on over there? He's like, bro about to fuck quit? And I was like what the fuck? I was like, what am I walking into. He's like, dude, just do it, just do it, you know. I was like, all right, So I do it. And everyone's assuming like I'm the replacement. Yeah, and I'm like, dude, I'm not the replacement. But they were eating me alive on Reddit.
Speaker 1: It was hilarious. Of course. I mean, of course they're going to do that. I'm shocked they didn't. Paul's eat Adam more on that because in the Lush and a d thing, there was also the white supremacist thing was going on.
Speaker 2: There was like the joke about the slave owners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of shit. So like throwing me or you as like the replacement probably wasn't the best move. And I feel and I feel for Adam, not on that side, but I think I feel for him as far as like shit, just one day, a whole operation is moving and then you lose that then and then I have empathy for Adam and me too, me too.
Speaker 2: Sure, I told him, I said, dude, you're fucking mentally strong, brother, because during that time there was every was like fuck no Jumper, And then that dude rolled up there on the live stream with that old ass ship that he had already put the bed and rehashed that, and it was just.
Speaker 1: Like, but that's that's a tough shit outside of everything that stuff with the internet. To some degree, when people have been waiting for your downfall, they're waiting, they will make small things into the largest thing ever, and even when things passed, the next time, a small thing will happen. That's why I did everything, Like I'm.
Speaker 2: Not understand like Joe grilling him so bad because I was like, dude, really did I thought it was appropriate?
Speaker 1: I just did.
Speaker 2: I just was like, I just feel like if people wanted to like rehash old shit, like like you know, like if somebody wanted to be a dick, there's a lot of old Joe buddonshit that is like hearsay or whatever, sure that people could just stir up if they ever wanted to, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I didn't. It was on whatever the radio. Yeah, No, I did listen to it. I was I thought, Uh, I didn't think Joe was harsh on him. I thought it was appropriate if you were going to have Adam on your show at that time address you and Joe would look even crazier. If you're trying to get the guy that all the attention is on right now for clicks, and then you don't, and then you don't, you look fucking nuts. So I didn't think they're But also why I and I'm a hypocrite a lot. I try not to grill people on a lot of stuff because to your point, like not to degree of like racism or something, but we all have our shit so and we're all gonna have our moments, especially in this world. I'm not one of those people in the media that protects each other like I'm in the middle. There there's some people that are like, we're all media, we can't post bad things about us because like we don't want to get to war. I think that's corny as fuck for sure, But also going super in on someone for small mistakes if some things are inexcusable. For sure, I'm not big on just doing that, and maybe that's probably not good in the content game for me to feel that way. I should do that for content purposes, but I just I have my own shit. Like, yeah, I'm just not gonna fucking scream at someone when they make a mistake. I've done it before, I don't get me wrong, But at this point in my life, you feel like you've grown No, just in perspective.
Speaker 2: Perspective is important. I just saw you. I didn't know you had a daughter until I saw the video you just posted.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean I didn't even send you the album by accident, so I didn't send the ultra sound No. So how old is your daughter? A little over three months?
Speaker 2: Well, congratulation, thank you. Has that changed your life drastically? I mean obviously besides like waking up? But has it like some people? I mean, listen, I have a son that's eighteen. I had him when I was well, he's about to be eighteen. I had him when I was eighteen, So I had him when I was eighteen. But that, you know, it was so long ago. I couldn't like I just was like trying not to be poor and be homeless, you know, understandable, So like I don't know like that like that, what does that do for you? Like? Mentally, it's weird. I used to look at like parents when they would say, like memb like corny basic ship about kids. I'm like, all right, I'm sure it's that way at ye, but I it makes me stop. It like reminds me of joy, just like there's looking at her makes me stop where I never would have stopped. Like that's the surface level of how it's changed my life.
Speaker 1: It's like little moments. I lacked little moments in my life until her. Of course, She's the biggest moment that created little moments in my life that I never had before, and like makes me re observe everything. Like I sound like the corny parent now that I'm sound like. I'm walking her a stroller, looking at her, and she's looking up at trees and I'm like, fucking trees, remember those? And she is just amazed by ship. So I don't know if it's selfish to say this, but it also has allowed me to like be reintroduced to so much things within these three months of watching her observe other ship that I've had around me forever. It makes me even appreciate shit a bit more. Like just her curiosity of everything makes me feel weird.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like because I always say to myself, I'm like, Okay, I go to New York City. Like when I go to New York, I'm always like I like it, and I can never fucking live here. This is fucking insane.
Speaker 1: Like I say the same thing about other really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I go to New York and I'm like, everyone's running on each other.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 2: I mean, I appreciate everyone's on a fucking grind. They're going to work, they're fucking just you know, mission to wherever they gotta go. But I'm always like I could never, Like, I'm sure raising a kid in New York, you're raising a strong fucking kid no matter what, because they got to deal with shit that nobody else in the US really has to deal with in terms of just going to school. Yeah, for sure, going to the grocery store or whatever.
Speaker 1: Would you pull the transportation?
Speaker 2: Having it makes you a.
Speaker 1: Man having a woman daughter, are you like we might need to get like out the city a little bit. I mean, it's such a different New York than the one I know, Like she would be raising a way way different New York. But yes, it has crossed my mind and my entire life.
Speaker 2: I was never gonna leave New York, New Jersey, Jersey was as far as you know, I just bought a crib in Jersey.
Speaker 1: That's as far as I was going to venture off. It's changed within these three months.
Speaker 2: Maybe Atlanta's not so bad.
Speaker 1: And it was it was funny. Let me name drop. Pardon if I if I dropped the name. I was talking with Al Branch when we went down. We went down to Atlanta to shoot some stuff I think for BT and we used his studio, him and Tez the studio, and he was telling me, he was like, I've some queens my whole life, Like I never wanted to leave. I was never gonna leave, even when the music industry started to leave New York. I was holding strong. And he said, my daughters, Nah, I had I had to get out. Like the schools are better here. I love being able to just go pick them up, drive off like they're around fresh air all the time, like they can just explore Like it's just it's just a different perspective. And I fill them on that. I think it could happen La. No, because I think La is just the same as New York, just with palm trees.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the valley Valley. Well, I was always shitting on La, not La, the city La. The transplant La, not LAA. Oh yeah, Transplant La so obnoxious.
Speaker 1: But that's where if I were to move to l A at that time, I would have been around Transplant. Then I got to know a lot of people that grew up in LA grew up in the valley, and I saw a whole nother side of it where I was like, Okay, I understand why people think this is the greatest city in the world. Not a place that I would move or bring my kid. But I have eased up on l A. I've explored around and really got to know. I was in West Hollywood for like five years. I would just come land work, and if you're only in.
Speaker 2: West Hollywood, you're like, this is like there's billboards everywhere. There's my safe haven with Saddle Ranch, Like that's all that's why trashy for mean, look at me.
Speaker 1: Don't let it my parents. I'm like, my parents.
Speaker 2: Are coming to LA and they're like, we gotta go somewhere. I'm assuming, just assuming stereotype of my own parents. They'd be like that sound Ranch places, they got a bull in there, Let's check that out.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was with Jelly Roll at Saddle Ranch like a year ago, like singing carry country karaoke. We brought the whole team there for our last LA show and Edon rolled the bulls, Maris rolled the bull.
Speaker 1: Everyone rolled the bull.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's other areas, but then obviously downtown is a fucking wild place.
Speaker 1: Shit. Reason brought me around like Carson Area. Yeah. Recently stay outro on the album right yes, uh, that we produced with Bank and one of my favorite producers, Bieriod Legend Coleman, who did the intro on Cole's eighty five South. I think that's the right name. Shout out to eighty five South.
Speaker 2: That's the one with Cameron on it. Right, yes, ninety five North, great song.
Speaker 1: Coleman produced that boy Wonder he's to me one of the probably the most talented new producer that I think everyone is going to really gravitate too soon. Even when Bank started on it, I sent it over to Coleman to help us out with like keys and other stuff, and Bank was like, Yo, can I sign him?
Speaker 2: Like who?
Speaker 1: This kid is incredible? So yeah, Bank Coleman. Reason sobering thoughts in the Mandren and actually came from a conversation reason that I had when he was dropping me off at the mandre On and we sat in the car and talked for like an hour and a half and I was like, oh, one of the best. I was like this. We had another song called reasonable Ending, which I think might be licked on YouTube. At this point people had heard it, and I said, we got to redo this, like, let's let's get a whole new beat, let's start this conversation we just had needs to be the outro. And Drake actually DM me and said, with a Drake ass title like that, there better be bars on it. I don't think we disappointed. I think reason went crazy on the shit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, reply and say next album I got something for Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, no, because I wouldn't play myself in that regard. I just don't think that's how Drake features work. Drake, he's a nice guy, super nice guy. He owes me a lot of money, but he's a nice guy. Oh yeah, don't you guys have some bet heves me.
Speaker 2: Money fifty thousand dollars. Yeah, they'll never pay it. Because I don't strike Drake as the guy. To remember our conversation with me and Freddy Gibson, this guy at a bar, well.
Speaker 1: He has a he has steak.
Speaker 2: Now he can't give you like a voucher for fifty grand fucking sweet, so you could bet your own I could lose it. Yeah, the Suns. You just got to go to Turk. Doc rivers, bitch asks because I'm sure he'll my luck. He'll be the next fucking coach and I want to kill myself.
Speaker 1: Drake isn't low by staying in Turks. I know it's a beautiful island.
Speaker 2: There's does he live in Turks?
Speaker 1: It appears that way, and I'm just gonna go for tax reasons. But that's just me. Dude. He bets like a million a day, and I'm like, you can't do that. And my thing, you can't do that in New York. Listen my thing with the Steak, then you have to do that in.
Speaker 2: Turks, so listen especially for sure, for sure, my thing with Steak is why is everyone on Steak that I see betting like astronomical like that out boys and Drake and I'm like, are they giving them this fucking money?
Speaker 1: I mean, it could work in a strip club type of way because a lot of times, like if you know, rappers will be booked for a strip club, and they will give them a certain amount of give but you have to throw these like it'll go back to the club, back to the club. It's for optics. So I could definitely see a world where Steak would give popular people a crazy credit where you're not gonna win and you're not gonna pull this out. No, you could bet. You could bet it all and lose, you'll be fine, but if you win, you're not gonna get the money. I could see that's good pr especially with the betting world. Now that's the new face. Jay Z's trying to put Caesars in Times Square.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite Drake album? Uh? Nothing was the same mine too. Yeah, I'll probably say that you think Drake has a classic, I would say Nothing was the same as a classic album. Do you think it's like a lack a good Kid, Mad City, doggy style Garritchard Dyke trying classic or you think it's like a classic to you? Because to me it's a classic. But I would say it.
Speaker 1: I would say take Care would be that club. If you were gonna talk good Kid, Mad City, I'll talk about me personally.
Speaker 2: Me personally, I agree, and I think take Care.
Speaker 1: Is a classic album that deserves to be putting those good kids get rich. Of course, absolutely, it defined a time, a sound. It is what it checks every box of a classic. Okay, you can maybe argue it's not a rap album, but it's a classic album.
Speaker 2: It's a great album.
Speaker 1: And they got to stop putting The Weekend did that whole? Why?
Speaker 2: Why did why did we all say that the wait? Wait would that theory.
Speaker 1: That the Weekend did to take care? You know when they try to shit on Drake and they put for each person, like Quentin did this one, and we like Weekend did vocals on the Ultro.
Speaker 2: I love the Weekend.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile we say he wrote the whole album.
Speaker 2: Yo, you're an R and B guy, right, So, like I think about like the dark ages of R and B that produced guys like Frank Ocean in the Weekend, because we have this like weird era of R and B where like Neo was doing fist pump like fucking anthems with pit Bull and fucking Chris Brown and Usher was saying home my God, where I am just doing all this fun just terrible pop records that were all over the fucking radio. Trey songs didn't budge, I don't remember a Trey Song's e DM song.
Speaker 1: But there might be one. But Tray at that time was doing like actually really dope R and B mixtapes. For sure, he was keeping.
Speaker 2: But I feel like out of that we did get like the Frank Ocean and the weekend shit. At that same time, it was like House of Balloons.
Speaker 1: The summer of twenty eleven, we got Nostalgia Ultra, we got House of Balloons, and we got Cocaine eighties. That's that changed. And then shortly after that.
Speaker 2: Miguel had some dope. I mean, Miguel's album was crazy at that time.
Speaker 1: Oh, Kaleidoscope Dreams incredible, but that was more like Channel Orange time. I think, well was all I was saying.
Speaker 2: But even the first album, all I wanted was dope we had.
Speaker 1: And then I'm saying more so like what kind of defined the way we're talking about the blog era When it came to R and B. It was Frank, Cocaine eighties, the Weekend and then Janey was putting out her mixtapes at that time, And that, I mean to me is the genre of what this moody, dark to somebody whispering R and B is, which I know a lot of R and B people shit on this new sound of R and B. I don't. I think R and B is an amazing place. And if you look, there's people that can really sing. The's people that can make really good music. There's people that can make dark, moody, whispery shit that I like too. Like it doesn't have to be defined just by the vocalists. I think we need to take care of our vocalists. They are the unicorns and we need them all the time. But that doesn't mean we have to shit on everyone that can make great records when they're whispering.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, there's like this huge obviously, with what happened at Coachella, a lot of people are down on Frank Ocean rightfully. You know, I get it. Yeah, for sure, he fucking did a half assed I'm so glad I was. My son's a huge Frank Ocean fan. I'm so glad I was about to do the whole weekend. I'm so glad my tickets did not come through because I was like, you see your fucking this is your savior on stage with a fucking DJ doing a random set for thirty minutes in the king.
Speaker 1: What is this is your fucking king right here?
Speaker 2: But I still love Frank, But I feel like, do you feel like we over like like we hold him in a higher regard than we should based on like the amount of music that's actually out. Well, it also tells you, of course how good that music was.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's one of the few artists in this era that did the mystique things so well that we don't know his asterisks like we have. We know all of Chris Brown's asterisks, we do all all, but you have to at least Chris Brown has given us himself, whether music personally, for everything, for good or bad. He's constantly put music out, He's constantly performing, he's constantly trying new things like that's great, but Frank hasn't done that, and which is fine.
Speaker 2: He had to put out like a fifteen thousand dollars cock ring, Okay, well, I mean he did entrepreneur. He put out a piece of dick jewelry entrepreneurs interesting this year.
Speaker 1: But I have a weird, weird thoughts on that too, because I think we still need those few mysterious artists. Like I still like that because I grew up in that era where it was like you didn't know the artists and they gave you an album and then they disappeared for three years and then they came back. Like that's ill if you can do that now. And Frank has a masterclass in that regard. But it makes moments like Coachella super magnified if and you deserve all the critique you get from it because you only pop up every now and then. So when you pop up, you have to make it your best. Like we waited forever from Channel Orange to Blonde. He delivered on Blonde. He kept that mystique and that legend going. So when you're about to do Coachella, we assume, if you're gonna do Coachella, you've been rehearsing for a year. You don't pop out unless it's gonna be something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would expect like this is gonna be insane, and I assume that there'd be music with it, like if you're gonna pop out and do something.
Speaker 1: I don't think Frank is low on money. I don't. I mean, I don't know his habits. I think the cock Ring probably did well. I don't know did he partner with bluech You.
Speaker 2: I don't know, maybe promokoo like three months.
Speaker 1: It's just when you when you disap and have that luxury of disappearing and having so much, so much anticipation when you just tweet hey, you have to deliver when it's time to and he did not deliver. So nah, he deserves the critique he's gotten. He's a legend in my opinion when it comes to music. He's one of my favorite dude.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I love Channel Orange. Blond was one of those ones that had to grow on me.
Speaker 1: It grew on me. I didn't like Blonde when it first came out.
Speaker 2: Let me, it's almost like Season two of The Wire. You know, sure, that's a all right, I'm not mad at that comparison. You know you wat Season two with The Wire. Who all these fucking white dudes at the fucking pier? You know, like, oh no, I love Season two of The Wire.
Speaker 1: Now, like Blonde, initially I didn't hate, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. As the years went, it's one of the best written albums. I think when I got to my late twenties, around like twenty nine, almost probably going to thirty, I was like, this is this is the definition of someone transitioning from their twenties to their thirties, right, Like, the writing on that album is fucking incredible. It's a rap album, almost down to what Scissor did with sos Of, just like how much her pen is all over that crazy the way Solange would seated at the table where it's just like, this isn't just R and B. There's so much fucking words and content in this. It's not just melody driven, it's not drum driven. This is a pen Blonde is that to me? It's one of the best written albums I've ever heard, but it took me years to get there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like because you're just you just expect something different.
Speaker 1: There's not a wasted syllable on Blonde, and it took me a while to realize that. But I was saying, coming off Channel Orange, give me a snare, like what the fuck? And he gave us Knights. Oh no, No, Knights did come out with it, but that was the one that they pushed and that was the first one we heard, so I assume the rest of the album would be like Knights, And I was like, I have not heard a fucking kick yet. But it's it's a classic.
Speaker 2: You've been putting out visualizers for the album, Uh, what for you? Because I saw one of them that was inspired. What was the Robin Williams movie One Hour Photo where he's a crazy fucking It's an underrated movie.
Speaker 1: It's it's one of my favorite Robin Williams films ever.
Speaker 2: Rest in Peace to the God Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you ever see him Robin Williams live on Broadway the stand up?
Speaker 1: No, I haven't.
Speaker 2: It's fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: But all his material huh, all his material, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't see I don't know the nuances of like if he had people writing his jokes now.
Speaker 1: But I'm a Robin Williams movie fan.
Speaker 2: I can't say I've ever deeped out into Statch. Adams was fire fair, fucking tear jerker man. Yeah, but what like even like Jack?
Speaker 1: Jack was solid. Jack was good, not as wait wait, he might have started the pronoun waves somehow.
Speaker 2: What was the uh the one with fucking God damn it never mind, We're not even gonna go down that.
Speaker 1: Way, Jimi.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no, no. Jack made me think if I.
Speaker 1: Am Sam for some reason. No, that's Sean Penn.
Speaker 2: I know, I know that's why, never mind, But no, I wasn't asking when it comes to your visuals, like, obviously you're not do are you? You're not doing the like I guess normal music video route. You're doing more visualizers you do it. It feels like they're more like art pieces.
Speaker 1: Well again, initially back to me saying I never really wanted to be too forward facing with it. The initial idea with the visualizers, we're gonna be narrative based with actors. Maybe I would be an easter egg, like I'd be the person working at the deli, right, and the artists would also be just bigger easter eggs, but it would be very much narrative driven. And just like with this albums, as far as scheduling dates and how difficult that became, I was like, all right, I might have to get out of my comfort zone and just do a proper visualizer because I can't get everyone on the same page.
Speaker 2: Like even I'm sure that's the hardest part about doing an album like this. Different people's schedules. Getting people in person at the same time.
Speaker 1: And not even making the album is way easier than every artist's release schedule because everyone's pitching to the same playlist. Everyone needs four or five weeks if their label is I've an incredible in Missago record, but it just doesn't work with timing. And that's I consider Misago a friend and we would put it out if it made sense for his career too. He's got a record out, we can't put another one because it him be primary, like right, it'll push push. That was the most difficult thing when it came to putting this out, but with visuals as well. So I've just tried to run through shit. I love growing up and One Hour Photo was one of those those things that I felt was something we could recreate. And I mean there's metaphors within that entire thing, which I didn't even really discuss with I did with Raven who's one of my best friends, Ravy B who directed it. I didn't really discuss with her my idea of what the metaphor of that entire thing is, and it's almost down to a Reddit thing. One Hour Photo is about a guy that is obsessed with a family, just develops photos and he feels like he's a part of that family, and he gets so obsessed over it that he damn near wants to kill the husband when he makes a mistake of keeping that family going. So while I played Robin Williams in that that visualizer, the fans are Robin Williams. They are. That was more reddit, guys. That was more so down from from Lipstick Alley down, like and we do have a rory and mall like sub robe for sure, I'm in there too. I talk. It's pretty, it's pretty pretty gnarly. I mean, it's not like mixed toxic. Definitely not no jumper toxic. It's a mixed bag. But yeah, that visualizer was was more so I saw all the theories of like it had to do with my past relationship, and she moved on. No, that was about y'all. And that's why I thought it was so funny that the theories that they came up were just so off and were so much about me and my personal life. It proved my fucking point that this visualizer, you guys think, you guys know that was y'all in the glasses walking around with my dog, like you guys have felt, you guys are a part of my private life. So that's what that visualizer.
Speaker 2: That is funny because and I never spoke about that. This is the first time I talk you guys do have some crazy fans. That's why I always like tell like I'm always like, you know, I do interviews and I want to start doing like more just like non interview content. But I also don't want people to care about me that much. I like consciously, like I'm very conscious about like I don't want people to really give a fuck that much about me.
Speaker 1: But we can also be honest, and I know most people want tomit this. We also need them to. People talk a lot of shit about my personal life and it is what it is. If they stop, what does that say? Yeah, I mean that's fair. It's part of the gig.
Speaker 2: Part of it. It's part of the gig. I can just move accordingly and do visualizers like enough, Like that's why I feel better about it. Like there was like times where me and Adam are like Adam was talking about bringing me to No Jumper to do like a weekly show with them, and I was like, oh, yeah, I don't want people to care that much brouh, Like, I don't want I don't need that fucking I don't need those guys. Yeah, Like things are going pretty well, right, now. I mean, obviously I'm trying to scale, I'm trying to do it for shit, but I'm like, man, those fucking those guys are fucking they're in your shit, like posting your girl and shit, and I'm like, I couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's even with the kid thing. I mean, I I put the IG clip out. It's funny calling it the kid thing. You know, fatherhood that was a big thing I was had to figure out after like it had set in and I started to get in the rhythm of being a father. Was all right, I have a podcast, and I already see people on Reddit and all these other shits talking about it, like because I wasn't hot. I was like walking around with my kid. If you saw me, you saw my child.
Speaker 2: Like, but people are already talking about it and every.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone around me knew even Yeah, it wasn't anything hidden per se, but in the podcast world, it wasn't something I was talking about. Yeah, you guys are so obsessed with personal shit. Fuck it. When I put an album out, I'm eventually going to talk about my kid. Quite a perfect time. The amount of people that were like, this piece of shit is using as kid as y'all are the reason why you guys forced my hand and I would have talked about it probably earlier, but no, let's fuck it.
Speaker 2: Gotta stop the interview real quick to tell you about our family at blue Chew.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's getting hot outside. You know what that means, fellas you're about to go get that dick wet. You know what I'm saying. It might as well be really hard. It might as well be as hard as it could possibly be. And with blue Choo, you will achieve such hardness.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: It's seriously amazing, And the best part about blue Choo is you can find out if it works. Don't just take my word for it. They're gonna give you a month's supply for free. Go to blue choo dot com. Use that promo code bootleg. Get a month supply for free bluetoo dot com promo code bootleg. Now it's the same active ingredient as viagra and Cialis, minus the awkward doctor appointment. You do not have to go see some old dude and tell them about your erectile dysfunction issues in person, because that's a fucking awkward conversation. Bruh, all you gotta do is go to blue Choo dot com right now, use the promo code Bootleg. They're gonna get you hooked up with a month of supply for free. You just gotta pay five dollars in shipping. No awkward doctor's appointments. Same active ingredient as Viagra and siallists. Plus, they got the Blue Choo Mint. It's a chewable. It's great, tastes like mint. It's also the same active ingredient as Levitra. So summertimes coming, fellas, you don't want to underperform, make sure your dick is rocked up, baby, all right? Go to Bluechoo dot com. Use the promo code bootleg. Hey man, it works.
Speaker 1: What do you want from me? It fucking works.
Speaker 2: Everyone should have a little blue Choo in case with an emergency. You might have an emergency, you need a Papa blue Choo chew it. It's a chewable, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Anyway, Also got to shout out to our family at odds Socks. Don't forget. Go to odd socksoficial dot com. Promo code Bootleg say twenty percent off. Man, they got the underwear that they just dropped last year. That's amazing. So not only do you get the most comfortable socks in the world, but you can also get the most comfortable with draws in the world. All the crazy licenses. They gotta have baked socks. They just announced their has Burro collection, which is crazy because that means you're gonna get monopoly socks, Transformer socks, power Ranger socks. So much shit going with odd Socks. Plus they got the odd Socks Basics, my favorite. This is why I wear every day. I wear the Basics because they're the most comfortable socks I've ever put on my fucking feet. So experience the most comfortable socks in the world with me. Odd socksoficial dot com promo code Bootleg save twenty percent off. Shout out to odds Socks. Let's get back to the interview. All right, look, man, uh shout out. We've just had a little off camera conversation. Yes, crazy commercial break there, right commercial. It just came out of a Bluetooth commercial.
Speaker 1: Yes, well we weren't talking about that.
Speaker 2: Ah, dude, let me ask you this you got cause I've been going through this a little bit more recently where I've had like fan bases like, come at me crazy. I've had like the little Kim fans thousands of tweets in like twenty four hours just on my fucking head. Yeah, and then recently the Dirk fans, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: What do you say about Dirk?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Crazy?
Speaker 2: Me and the kids from uh.
Speaker 1: What's it?
Speaker 2: What's what's it? Jen Rivera and uh Kyle Rich? You would know drill guy over there, Benner, the forty one kids from Brooklyn, Jen Carter, Jen Carter and Kyle Rich? Who are these drill kids from Brooklyn? That well, I support them from New York. Super nice guys, but I'm and lady.
Speaker 1: But no.
Speaker 2: We were talking about who was bigger, little Baby or little Dirk and they were like emphatically like man dark And I was like, well, Dirk doesn't have any hit records.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, I did say that you. I did see this clip. I thought it was a fair point that you made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was like, top ten's he doesn't have any Like he just doesn't have a top Now now he does, by the way, do we.
Speaker 1: Know that officially though?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's number two on the Okay, so the first time he's ever been like his his song and it's a fucking smash.
Speaker 1: Incredible shout out to Dirk, But.
Speaker 2: Man, the fucking fan yo, he's you would have all these fucking weirdos who swear their OTF and they live in their fucking mom's basement in Scottsdale, Arizona or some shit like, it's fucking crazy. Yeah, Like what has been the craziest like moment where because you guys openly just talk about music. So I'm assuming at a certain point in time you had have caught some strays from some of these wild fan base.
Speaker 1: Oh barbs, And it's not even close, but it's not. It wasn't based off a comment I made. We had interviewed Nikki and.
Speaker 2: I had brought up Remember that I had brought up a.
Speaker 1: Question that I still think is a fair question to ask somebody. I had asked Nikki, at what point do you and I'm paraphrasing. It was recorded, I don't remember, but it was something along the lines of why do you feel like you have to respond to all this? Like why do you let that type of shit get to you? And she she had a very fair response of if you had people because she was she was comparing the difference between her fan base in mind, which is a very fair thing. It's like, if you had people just continuing to make rumors up about you, you would feel a way too. And I replied like I probably wouldn't, which was foreshadowing because I kind of did later.
Speaker 2: So, barbs, barbs, you may got one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said, what would you feel if somebody started a rumor that someone stuck a broomstick up your ass? Nicki Mina said this to me eye to eye on camera. I could refresh my mentions. I don't even know what year that was. I could refresh my mentions right now, and there may be a photo of me on a Harry Potter broom and a barb saying, how's that broom up your ass? It has not stopped for seven years? Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, the barbs are resentless, and I fuck with Nikki I always have, but they don't. That's the crazy thing about the barbs. Though they won't look for who's supporting. They'll find one off comment and go crazy.
Speaker 2: So I said something about and I didn't care about them. I said something, and mind you, maybe I was a victim of the assumption that little Kim did not or had a lot of help from biggie writing hardcore.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair to say, right.
Speaker 2: So I had said something to that effect when me and Nick Cannon were discussing the female goats, because he said Lauren and then he put Kim above Nicki, and I was like, well, could you do that? If Kim bigger owner shit? You know, like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So I'll go on a lim And this isn't just trying to make up for the broomstick shit to get the bars off my ass. If Kim wrote all her shit, I would still put Nicki above Kim. I don't think they're fair comparisons. In the amount of time Nicki has been in the game, and I was consistent.
Speaker 2: She's she's the greatest of all time.
Speaker 1: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think Nikki is the greatest female rapper bols and so dude, and I think you could make a case that Nikki could be in a list of the.
Speaker 1: Greatest, like top fifteen. Yeah, yeah, I think I would be fine with that case.
Speaker 2: But no, but Jesus, I didn't know Little Kim had these fucking goons out here on the internet brouh.
Speaker 1: You know, I will say, I don't know if you read Prodigy's book. I did not That's another classic. Listen to the audiobook because it's it's cooler to hear Pee tell those stories.
Speaker 2: Is that the one where he talked about Norris shooting him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay for sure, and amongst a lot of other things. But he said that he watched Kim write that quiet Storm verse and that made me look at Kim a little different, one of the best verses ever that she wrote that that I watched her write that entire thing. So yes, of course Biggie did help. I know clue at leaked references of Biggie rapping as Kim. That's happening in hip hop. I don't want to take anything away from Kim in that regard, but I still would say Nikki just is the is the best she's been out. She put out way more like what do you We don't know if they'll be a Kim without Nikki. You could have that argument, but I think that's a weird argument to have. Let's deal with what's out and.
Speaker 2: Is there wouldn't be a There wouldn't be a jay Z without you know.
Speaker 1: I don't like that what you're about saying. I think convo either, But I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying like it doesn't matter, Like that doesn't matter, Like at the end of the day, it's like like I don't factor that. I like to look at like lyrical ability, catalogs, songs like like how good is the music? And I love Kim's music, like I love you know, Kim's legend. But yeah, I didn't know that her fans also like her and Cardi b have like the same like they're kind of like in the same gang kind of. So I noticed a lot of these bios or like names would be like Barti Gang, Queen Bee seven to seven or some shit, and I was like, yo, I didn't know, bro.
Speaker 1: Well, I got caught up in the Cardi gang shit by proxy, like I was supporting Carti, but Maul was suggesting she needs to put out music. You can't have album of the Year and then just wait this long.
Speaker 2: Like you were the best she can't rookie year of any rapper ever and you haven't playing music out like what the fuck singles very successful ones And then Cardi went on Live shit It on Maul said Demris was the greatest human being ever who's on our show as well, And I somehow just got tied in with mal.
Speaker 1: Like this again. I just had this talk about Cardi. I can't have beef with Nikki and Cartie.
Speaker 2: I just had to talk with somebody last night about Carti, who's at Atlantic. We were just talking like it is kind of like we've never seen somebody come out with like a classic debut album that is like literally every song's a hit, like I mean, I think they're all certified PLANEM at this point.
Speaker 1: But only streaming. That's also an unfair conversation. Only streaming could allow that true. And that's not to take away because I was on the side that Cardi put out a classic album. There's not a BA. Every song is a hit. It's amazing, and you can't, like that would be unheard of. You can't work thirteen records at radio, you can't. That would never exist in the world before only streaming.
Speaker 2: Since like of course she had, she's she's had, you know, shout out to her. She she got pregnant right before I think the tour with Bruno WATSH was gonna happen. But she's put out some really great singles, like there's a fucking banger bro like thep in her verse with Gloilla a moment and your fans, Kelly I was one of the best bass as long as she keeps having these incredible moments, like the album I'm sure is being worked on, but she's got a song on OFF. I was with her on OFFSET super Bowl, uh and Offset play me his album and she has a song on Offset solo album that she's fucking snapping on here.
Speaker 1: This ship is crazy, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And you know what the the one thing with Cardi is like I'm not sure like how much stuff she's writing not right and getting help with. But I'll be damn man. I fucking love listening to Cardi b bro, Like you know, like I said, pause.
Speaker 1: She has She's delivering one of the best deliveries. Oh my Ever, how charismatic she is on records is incredible. Uh, since we're just two straight white males talking about women hip hop. I don't know if you saw today Taylor Swift, Ice Spice.
Speaker 2: I saw that. We talked about it on my radio show. I said this, Are you ready? I'm not, are you He is a wild question for that, So I mean shout out to Ice Spice. I do think that I think I might have saw you guys had a conversation about Ice Spice on your show recently.
Speaker 1: Right that tied into the Cardi response that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, So I saw you guys talking about Ice Spice, and I feel like she has star quality. Definitely does, and her she could rap good enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure she does. She does caption rap. That's super important. Yeah, I just think that for sure, caption rap is.
Speaker 2: I mean, probably Drake's the god of caption rap, you know, but Drake like raps raps and does that for sure.
Speaker 1: For sure, Drake's one of the grace of all time.
Speaker 2: I'm always on Drake's ast. Spend my fucking money, bro.
Speaker 1: But no, Ice Spice.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't I don't know if I've heard. I haven't heard the record yet where I'm like, oh, she's gonna be here for a while. She's here right now. She's lit. Like I think her getting on that Pink Panthers record is because that's I think the most certain point time is the number one song world.
Speaker 1: But to me, that showed that she may be around because Pink Panther's being one of the up and coming younger artists. I love that they got together this Taylor Swift thing is scares me. Why you're not skipping steps per se, You're you're just going You're chasing the bigger look. Whereas the Pink panther shit. We know that both two emerging artists. It makes so much sense. The record is fire, the videos fire like it made perfect sense.
Speaker 2: You see Taylor Swift came, that's let's get her on something.
Speaker 1: And even like with Nikki that that made sense to me too, like both New York, she's a fan like that. All that made sense for sure. This and this is not a judge on Taylor Swift. It could be any huge pop star that's nowhere near the age range of Ice Spice. I'd be like, this is weird. You may be going too fast. You're going a little too fast. I mean, you're not gonna say no.
Speaker 2: Of course, if you're Ice Spice, you're not gonna be like Taylor Swift called and she wants to use you as the cool.
Speaker 1: Hit part of her next song, you know. And and that's where these conversations are weird too, because when we talked about the Cardi record with Dirk and Kanye, I was like, you're not gonna say no to a Dirk and Kanye verse on this record.
Speaker 2: But what killed that record? Durk and Kanye, Yeah, yeah, I agree. If that record would have been just Carty went crazy, if it would have just been her for two verses, it probably would have. And by the way, also shout out to the Atlantic team. They took that record number one at Rhythm and Urban.
Speaker 1: But that song was number one, yeah at radio, but.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the song that like, you know, it was adding things know number one and not work at all? What at radio? Yes, yes, yeah, I think out of all the singles she's been dropping, that was the one where you were like, she.
Speaker 1: Put that snippet up of her sitting on that roof in the robe with her.
Speaker 2: Verse she killed it. But you're right, Burk and Kanye.
Speaker 1: I saw that. I said, oh, Cardi B's back. Then I heard the song and I was like, oh Cardi went and then Cardi went crazy. And not to say Dirk and Kanye were bad on it, it just it was weird. It just ruined us all.
Speaker 2: Do you listen to a lot of little Dirk No, okay, I.
Speaker 1: It's just not my type of shit. I wish I had a better response than these types of things because I respect Dirk me too.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've seen him I kind of grow up in front of our eyes. I like you, you know.
Speaker 1: Back when we talk about like Sycamore, when Scamore was doing his mixtapes, like I love Dirk at that time. It's it's just it wasn't something for me to begin with. So I'm not hating by any degrees. It's just not my shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very much in the same boat with you. I respect Dirk. I got there's records I really enjoy. There's records I really like hell tracks and with hell Cats and track Hawks, it's fucking I play that ship every time I DJ's.
Speaker 1: He's extremely talented, deserves all the success like he is. He is one of those I fuck with him in that regard. It's just not something that I'm gonna stop. Just my taste.
Speaker 2: What about Little Baby.
Speaker 1: Baby's another one that I prefer them on features love Little Baby Man. No, They're great. I'm just a baby can rap though of course I'm Dirk can too. I'm not saying they can't. It's just not my go to.
Speaker 2: No, Dirk can rap, but Baby can rap. Like I feel like I've heard Baby like run circles around motherfuckers on records. I'm just like a baby for me.
Speaker 1: And again I'm not and that talent record. I'm not somebody like when he goes into the studio, I'm not someone he would think of. I'm not saying personally for my type of consumer. I like Baby and Dirk on features like when they just get one verse to shine. I think they do it better than any of new rappers out, Like they make the record there and that's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, dude, it's a talent, but record the pous schisty record is like you only play you play the you're playing it for the Dirk verse because that's the part people sing along too.
Speaker 1: And Dirk is able to rap and do like certain tricks and stuff on songs. By tricks, I mean like parts that everyone's gonna sing along to, like don't play a little Boy in the club. We do list like that that no one knows the talent that that in line takes. Fuck the content of just the melody like to stop everyone and what we're gonna sing along to. Dirk has that and he can rap and he can make music. I'm just not running. I just maybe it's my age. Maybe it's my region, I just not my ship.
Speaker 2: Did you have any time to see his sit down with academic shait No, I haven't.
Speaker 1: I saw the one clip of the clips. What was the clip about the gun and thing? I think that was the only thing I saw.
Speaker 2: You and academic. Still, Uh, you guys have a pretty Uh. You guys have a conflict. I wouldn't say so, well, I think he doesn't like you much. What but you know what, but it's crazy that he doesn't like you much and you guys have kind of had this back and forth for years. Ever since has every day struggle was on?
Speaker 1: Right? I don't know if it's been a back and forth. I've certainly said things, but not anything that. But I also when you were discussing.
Speaker 2: The list, you said nice things.
Speaker 1: He and that's where the internet will well, they'll see this clip and be like, w you frack. No, No, I'm an objective human being, like I know how there's nuanced or objectiveness to every situation. Yeah, and we're also on the internet, so like, yes, if we're talking about a list, I believe academics should be on that. If something is in person, I'm not gonna talk about the lists right in terms of why these are drastically different things. I can give people their credit where it's due, for sure.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say in terms of like we kind of started this convo talking about hip hop media for a sec, but like, how do you kind of see?
Speaker 1: And I'm happy those this is not going to come across. I know people are going to think this is a sarcastic shot. I'm very happy that he was not harmed in that home invasion because that that could have went really bad. So I'm this is a real thing. He said horrible lies and weird shit about me. I'm very happy he was not harming that that home invasion that could have got really invasion. From my understanding, recent two people tried to break anywe with gun. Yeah, very recently, and they were arrested. He could I don't know if he was making that up or not.
Speaker 2: But wait, didn't you send him like a Christmas cause or didn't you send something to his house where like people were like, oh, that's that's bullshit. Yes, okay, that was so funny though, like.
Speaker 1: Listen, bit, I have no issue with anybody. I think that's funny that.
Speaker 2: That's a that's like a thing.
Speaker 1: Good good, keep keep the narrative going. I think it's fucking hilarious. And I do mean this holdheartedly. I know his fans are gonna hate this because they want me to say something. I know my fans are gonna be like, was this some pussy shit? Like the amount of personal things said. I'm so glad of what's been going on people. He was not harmed in that home invasion because from what I read, those guys was ready.
Speaker 2: So was he just not home?
Speaker 1: I don't know the fut something about some girls set him up.
Speaker 2: If i'm him, I got a save room at the house.
Speaker 1: I think a girl set him up. But it's not my story to tell. I just saw some clips, and you know, I stay on Reddit, so I do see what other people type. I can't say that they are the best source, but yeah, I saw that something happened with the girls set them up, and two people were arrested, and they had guns and they were somebody was unlocking the door at his house and his girl's and listen, I don't want to I may disagree with a lot of fucking things that that kid stands for. Says whatever, I'm so happy he wasn't harmed because this ship, this ship is getting insane with the home invasions, and I don't want to see anybody just.
Speaker 2: People losing their life in general. That kid, uh. I think it was in Texas, that kid who like posted the picture in standing in the guy's blood and then that same day he got killed. Did you see that?
Speaker 1: No? And even though what he was saying, I think is I think A's mom was in there like that that ship is like that's that ship is fucked up, bro, So that's like I don't Yeah, that's just not funny. It's just not cool, Like I feel for bro, Yeah, are you like you? Someone say he may deserve it, but I don't think someone observes that.
Speaker 2: Like, That's my thing with act is like I think when he first came out of the scene, because I was not hip to his YouTube shit at all prior, I had no idea who he was prior to every Day Struggle. So when the Everyday Struggle started to pop, I kind of got a kick out of this like internet dude who genuinely came off like a fan, who was like happy to be there, and a lot of these conversations he was having because Joe Budden would be there. And that's why I like that conversation with the Migos. The bat was so funny because he just was so green and like happy to be talking to the Migos. And I think there was a moment where he just became like big act and it was like at you know, Paul's you know what I mean, like his persona of like being like this fucking this guy, you know, and I'm like sometimes like and I respect dudes, like he's a hustler, you know, like I ain't mad at him, like, but I also think at certain point in times of acts like you kind of don't seem like the greatest dude, you know, like I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know him personally, Yeah, either do I to be fairy Like as much as there's been an insane narrative that anything in my life has been affected by him, which is like absolutely a great regiously false and hilarious, I don't. Yeah, it's more power to them. Wasn't like keep going, bro, have a blast, Like there's nothing has been affected in my life.
Speaker 2: How do you see like the evolution of like the space that we're all in right, like you said, we were talking aboutarlier about what is hip hop media nowadays? Like there's the Twitch guys, there's the kisats, and then who's now in Rumble? I think, but it just feels like it's like forever an evolving.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 2: Like how do you feel about where it's going and where it's.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's kind of when I asked you that question at the beginning of the interview, where hip hop media is? That's why that list was so interesting to me outside of what everyone else thought. As far as the messiness, where is hip hop media going to go? Because we see with these live streaming sites, even with Rumble and everything, hip hop is not going to get it done so itself. Yeah, it's I fear hip hop media will get pushed out of this entire world. I think it'll hip hop gossip will continue to thrive. Don't get me wrong, hip hop media will lose its strength unless somebody and I'm not even mad at the people that are interviewing these guys, but it's the audience that we probably have to blame. Unfortunately. Yeah, myself included I click all this relationship hip hop gossip is what's going to keep this shit going. I don't know where hip hop journalism is really gonna lie in the next ten years, especially with the younger kids. And I'm not being the old guy saying you young kids don't have it. Their worlds are just different and so much of that gaming shit and everything that is going to be so profitable with live streams and podcasts. I don't really see where hip hop journalism really falls. And I also don't see these hip hop artists and the younger generation caring to do that they don't already. Drink Champs is incredible. I'm so happy that Nori is able to talk to not only new artists but people from his generation because these are great conversations for sure. And those artists also went on radio interviews. Press was a part of their fucking life. It's not weird to them, it's it's part of their their being, right. These young kids don't have to go do that.
Speaker 2: They do so that's.
Speaker 1: Not part of their DNA, which leaves the media people having to find other ways to do it, whether that be gaming, whether that be other interests, whether that be comedians, let's interview gang members exactly.
Speaker 2: They have to I spent an hour on y Shit last night. I watched a brick Baby and Crip mac On No Jumper say fucking on on neighborhood, like for two hours straight. It was the out Dude. It was the most entertaining YouTube shit I've watched in a long time.
Speaker 1: And I'm saying, what's going to be more popular within hip hop journalism or media If a rapper does an interview or someone does a whole gang breakdown of the gang that rapper came from. What's gonna get more clicks?
Speaker 2: Oh the gang video? Because we've seen it with like swamp stories and like these these which, by.
Speaker 1: The way, watch those are all great plass forms. They do real research.
Speaker 2: Like, dude, I remember I had to interview Uh yeah, where does that leave hip Where is hip hop drunk? At some point, Elliott Wilson is going to want to retire and go live with his wife. And he's like the last guy that you're like, oh, that person did a raparate on our interview.
Speaker 1: Oh, And I know for a f there's there's younger kids out here that want to do that. I just don't know if the artists are going to want to.
Speaker 2: Do that, And I don't know if Elliott gives a fuck to do every hot up and coming artist.
Speaker 1: They're very selective, of course, not why would yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: He'll do NBA Young Boy. It's NBA Young Boy, you know, like you know, so yeah. So you just kind of see it evolving into like the journalistic integrity continuing to be diminished.
Speaker 1: But that's not because it's already.
Speaker 2: Kind of there.
Speaker 1: That's not a slight hip hop or the culture. I mean, look, let's let's look at the number one news outlets GMZ, CNN, Fox News. There's no journalism integrity there either, So why would I think hip hop would follow suit? It's the worst like America does not follow suit on journalism that has changed. That's become a circus that's about clicks, that's about SOLATIONI shit, of course hip hop is gonna end up the world is that way. There's not one real journalism platform. I mean, you could find, depending on your political views, certain ones, but I don't know if there's like objective journalism happening in the world period period.
Speaker 2: So to have that everybody has their angle and everyone has their Yes, you're right, so hip hop media and then these artists don't playlist is what I need.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I need to go, I'll go do Yeah, I'll go do the Rap Caviar podcast.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, if I got beef for the artist, and when I have a selationi's clip. I have my own fucking Instagram. I also can set up a microphone. Why do I need y'all?
Speaker 2: I remember thinking that. I was like, man, I was just talking with one of my friends about this the other day. I was like, if you're an artist in today's you know, landscape, a lot of these guys, an interview can only hurt you, right, yes, Like they don't like this will probably hurt me like nothing news from me sitting down with whoever it is. It's going to necessarily move the needle for me, But it can hurt me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's like, why even do it? Like if it's just the really they only like the downside is very much there and the upside is not very measurable.
Speaker 1: Like and uh, I'm stealing this, I think from Steve Styles's book. But you you'll know how popular an artist is now only based by the tickets that they sell. If you want to know how bigger artist is, go to the show. So I relate that a lot to podcasting, not so much with the live show thing, but how much views are you getting without a guest? Right, And that's where the media shit is moving. You have to be a personality so much that you will move the needle weekly by yourself or with your co host whatever. And those are moments when you have an artist to have a real interview, and I think journalism can happen in that regard. I think, you know, Maul and I haven't had like the crazy salacious shit, but the interviews we have done, whether it be RUSS or DJ drama, like I think we had.
Speaker 2: Did you guys have belly on?
Speaker 1: We did we cook lampshouts at belly Okay, I mean we had a nice conversation, but I wouldn't say it was an interview per se.
Speaker 2: No, But you guys, I do feel like you're right. Like when I see you guys doing an interview, I'm like, oh shit, Like, I know, you guys really fuck with the artist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And even if we don't, it's kind of has to be a reason outside of just to talk, like, oh, they're doing the podcast run. And that's where I see the value with hip hop media. Whether you're the media person or the artist. What is actually gonna make sense and move the needle for both of you? And I don't know where that's gonna happen in hip hop journalism unless all the hip hop media personalities can keep an audience without an artist, that gives an artist and incentive to go on there. If I'm an artist and you can't do that, I'm bringing my audience to you. I'll just set up a fucking microphone and go on ig love.
Speaker 2: That's what's like. I think for me, I've been like, Okay, well one, I'm syndicated on the radio all over the country.
Speaker 1: But you actually do And why I said you belong on that list is you actually do the journalism interviews try any time.
Speaker 2: As a I just had a young nudie interview yesterday where we just got high the whole time and talked about fucking Pinky, you know, the porn chick from back in the day, you know.
Speaker 1: But that separated you in this space. I feel like because you have real interviews and you're not, You're way more consistent than Elliot because Elliott works on a different for sure.
Speaker 2: Time, and like I like, I'll just like if I like somebody. I'm like, yeah, I want to talk like I know it's not gonna do numbers, but I want to interview this person, you know, like.
Speaker 1: And that's valuable. I just do its gonna.
Speaker 2: I want to interview Big X the Plug so bad. If you listen to this guy, he's from Dallas. He's so fucking hard bro DM and his guy all the time, Like, Bro, when the fuck y'all come in to La, Big X the Plug, he's on you and I masters. So he's a stock guy, but he's hard bro. He's got a song called Texas, but he's got a big a song called Big Stepper. He's got bruh, he's fuck big extra put but see to me, that's kind of how I got involved in this whole shit. Was like I was just a hip hop head and I started doing radio because I couldn't wrap or make beats.
Speaker 1: Or did you try to rap?
Speaker 2: I wrote raps. I never tried, like I never did trust you if you didn't try, No, I tried, Okay, I don't trust I didn't say I tried. I wrote stuff like i'd be in school writing raps. I never like performed or recorded a verse or anything.
Speaker 1: I just have a weird thing. I don't trust anyone that didn't at least try no.
Speaker 2: I wrote for sure, I would just like write hell of scribbles and shit. But you know, for me, it's almost like you said, it's like, not only am I doing the YouTube and the and that, but I'm also on the radio. So I'm like, if I play someone's song once, it's twenty five spins. Yeah, and I'm on Monday through Friday. So it's like I'm like I kind of have that advantage going for me. But I definitely, like, you know, I moved into this new new compound, so we're gonna start rolling out like just diff for non interview types of content because like you said, how long is that gonna last?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like it's it's really like.
Speaker 1: But again, at least you have the luxury of having a staple in the podcast culture that we know we're gonna get a real interview from someone, where there is a lot of guest based pods that just it's bullshit and they rely on a guest every single time. You and Elliott at least we know, like, yeah, I guess it'll be a form interview. I mean, I'm not sure this one was, but I'm not a rapper. Oh my fault. But yeah, you know, like even when the GiB shit was happening, like yeah, when he popped up with you, I'm not sure which gibs when I'm in the timeline here, yeah, which I was like, at least I know this is gonna be a real interview, gonna be a real conversation because keV gets respect from every rapper. I know they'll have a real conversation. It'll go somewhere. Kev's gonna ask real questions that's so lost in the guest base pod cast worlds. Yeah, and that's why I don't think it's gonna Yeah, the front thing was like for like.
Speaker 2: For the friend's one of my best friends, so you know, for me, when he beefs with the world, it complicates my relationship with the world. God bless them.
Speaker 1: Love for you.
Speaker 2: But I'm the guy who gets the call, like, Yo, what's fucking Stot just called me three days ago and was like, what is this spready Gibbs I'm seeing on Twitter? And I'm like, Rah, I only want to get into it, man, I'm too close to the situation.
Speaker 1: Got to be the name of the next album, right. I love the fact that he leaned into it because he's but he's the best of the internet. He's the best. I knew he would do that. He had to lean into it, man, and like, you know, yeah, but somebody said that he was spreading his stink star and he replied with yeah, you got big titties. Like that's the only way you can reply to. Great response. That's a perfect Twitter response. She said something hilarious and Sodi, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And my other thing too, is I try not to you know, I try not to dive into like the low hanging fruit like beef shit, like or like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I just some shit.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'd rather I would just rather not intentionally add to certain shit. Now I might end up adding to certain shit, but it ain't you know, some of these platforms and like I watch them, you know, like I got love for lad and all those guys.
Speaker 1: I watch flat shit all the time.
Speaker 2: But it's just like, I don't know, for me, it's like at the moment it's working. But you're right, it's like the guest based shit is like at what at a certain point in time, like it's definitely got to evolve into something else, and you guys have done such a great job of doing that because people are there for you guys. And if you guys haven't have a guest, fucking sweet, it's gonna be a great interview because you guys do great, great conversations.
Speaker 1: If you add Vlad on, what will be the first question you would ask them? Fuck? Man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've asked Flad to come on the podcast because he'll text me sometimes or call me sometimes. And he said I didn't have enough yours for you said it wasn't popping, So I look, I think I got the text here, but I mean, but I just I guess, I mean, and I respect Hey, Hey, also I wasn't. I didn't take that ship personally. I wouldn't take that person I was like, hey, bro, I get it all good, like hopefully one day, you know, like he had hit me for a contact on cannabis. Oh you know what it was? He called me because he was like, I didn't want to send this over text. He was like, but you know, I'm looking at your numbers and like you know, and I'm like, dude, you're fucking rich, so for you to like take time away from your family, take time away from your business. I get it, bro all good. I didn't take it.
Speaker 1: If Flat as rich, he's never told us that. He tells us that a lot. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I mean, have you seen the way he dresses?
Speaker 1: No he's not on camera? Well no, sometimes when he is.
Speaker 2: It's like fucking Louis every You know how they say you can either wear the designer or let the designer wear you.
Speaker 1: I would say, the designers wearing vlat He walks into sacks and just give me the manneican, give me the.
Speaker 2: Whole shit, me the glasses, give me the fucking shorts, give me the shoes, give me the socks. You know. Shots of Flat by the way, raphenomenon was it the first one of this? It was a rap phenomenon too, that he was the Tupac one Tubac one?
Speaker 1: Was that the one?
Speaker 2: Green Lander?
Speaker 1: I believe so him and him and Green Lancer.
Speaker 2: Got green Lander's a goat.
Speaker 1: Hu Absolutely yeah, as Green should do more podcasting.
Speaker 2: I feel like me and him were just together in Vegas and he has a lot of stories he probably just can't tell.
Speaker 1: That's that's what it is. Green Green Lave had great conversations where I'm like, this would be the greatest.
Speaker 2: He's got tons of those, and I just, man, I just want to know, like, you know, the Eminem shit, what happened with the show. I mean, we know what happened with the Shady ship with like the Jada kiss g Unit shit or whatever. Yea, but this guy was jay Z's DJ, Eminem's DJ, and he's NAS's DJ. There's no way a goat he doesn't have some wild But if you know Green, which you know him, there's just I don't think there's a chance in hell he'll ever, like really dive into a lot of that shit. He told me though, a couple of weeks ago Befour twenty because we were doing harding in Vegas together and he was like, I'm going to do your podcast when I have something to promote.
Speaker 1: I did say that similar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you told me the same. He has nothing to promote, you know. He put out that big pun Jada song.
Speaker 1: But Green's kind of like, speaking of lad I've seen lads like moved into the mafia part of YouTube, which I get. I respect it. You have to grow the page, but you know, picking the people that already have huge numbers in the mafia space and telling the same stories that we're out already. But I get it flat as a different audience. Green is like that. But music industry wise, when I look at the mob shit, I'm like, if this guy's telling the story, obviously either ratted or he's lying because he wouldn't be able to tell this. He wouldn't be a Green is like that for me. With hip hop, he can't get on a mic and talk about it. He wouldn't be someone you could interview. Yeah, because you even see people in hip hop that go on these like the behind the scenes guys that tell these crazy stories. I'm like, he might have to be lying because the people that can't tell this story aren't gonna tell it.
Speaker 2: I feel like Vlad has one of those guys on the show every two weeks.
Speaker 1: Oh it's entertaining where you're like, yo, there's just.
Speaker 2: Just this random like bodyguard and he's just saying, like, I know who killed Tupac. I mean, I was under the fucking I was under the Mercedes. I had a GoPro at the time before they came out. And then vladdle like he interviewed he interviewed someone that pulled up on a bicycle to the Tupac scene. I was like, are you kidding?
Speaker 1: I believe it was the first responder. You just have to be on a shwin Are you Are you serious? I swear to God, Yeah, listen. I have a lot of disagreements with Vlad.
Speaker 2: That's great though.
Speaker 1: Him and I, I guess, don't get along. I don't know. I have a lot of issues with people I've never met or spoken to. But I yeah, when there's positive things to watch Lad related, I watched Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Just watched him and Charlie Maine and I watched him and uh who.
Speaker 1: Look at the growth of Charlot Man. I watched a few of those clips too.
Speaker 2: Sharlo means a grown ass man. Now. I love it. It's great.
Speaker 1: It's like finding out Santa isn't real. Fucking e a nervw to mature. The album is out. Yes, I thought it'd be different. May twenty seventh, sixth I can't remember anything we did. All the artwork because it's real art. All the artwork was by a gentleman by the name of Ezra Cohen. For the people that have watched our podcast visually when it was at my house, now we're in a new studio. But the artwork behind us that you can kind of see because it's so big. Ezra did. He did all the singles the album. Like he's one of the most talented painters I think out period, and him even doing the music thing was cool because he's very much in the art world, like he's gallery, Lower East Side, studio, Hell's kitchen, like he's not in our world. So the fact that he was so open to do this stuff was amazing.
Speaker 2: You have to pay him, of course, yeah, I mean, I he's like, yo, man, everyone can speak to my business on this album.
Speaker 1: There's a way to do good business, no matter. I hate when people would say industry standards, No, there's a way. That's a facade. There's a way to do good business. Even if Ezra Ssetti do it for free. I wouldn't do that. Take care of him. Of course.
Speaker 2: He worked and worked really well in this project. So how many songs is thirteen thirteen records, tons of features, dope production on the.
Speaker 1: Album compilation, I mean had to be features.
Speaker 2: I mean it is a COMPLI. You're not rapping, you're not singing.
Speaker 1: I might on the second one, who knows you know.
Speaker 2: It's funny when I would always hear you drop these nuggets about you were working on an album. Yeah, I was like, oh shit, I didn't know Rory rapped.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I rap on the show pretty often, but people don't.
Speaker 2: But I was like, I just was like, I just assumed you were like gonna rap because it was like this like secret project that you had, yeah, you know working on. I'm like, oh shit, Rory's making mute. I knew you were working with Emotional Oranges, yeah, because can you manage them shots? I've known a odd for I played.
Speaker 1: He was supposed to pull up but had a dutch with the boyman. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I played his song Spider Webs on the radio and Las veg Gus in twenty ten on my underground hip hop show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Very talented, super talented and helped me, I mean ep the project with me as that's that's my partner, that's my guy, great guy, the best. So he was an instrumental, no pun intended part of this entire process. So it was it was great to have help me with this and just having Emotional Orange is part of it. Just our internal production crew like this, this really wasn't like send out records, like send beats like this was start from scratch. Some you know, thirty second ideas maybe started, but yeah, this was very much a creating an album Almongst.
Speaker 2: Because you know a lot of times you'd be like, Yo, this guy probably set beats out, got put together some uncohesive record.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, Yo.
Speaker 2: Just give me a sixteen and I figure the rest out. Yeah, build around that, you know, like.
Speaker 1: And even like the few times that artists weren't in there, they'll they'll send just their verse over, maybe just keys or maybe just a drum loop. I sent, right, and then we go in in Frankenstein the entire thing like it was, I'm still Shelley or see back to drama. He was dram Shelley and now he's back to drama. Yeah, is good.
Speaker 2: He's good.
Speaker 1: Drama's great. Yeah. One of the most talented people I've ever.
Speaker 2: He once fell asleep during an interview on camera with me.
Speaker 1: What year was it though, thousand.
Speaker 2: Sixteen?
Speaker 1: Okay, drama is sober now, and yes, drama is sober now. Drama's doing amazing.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: One of the most talented people have ever worked. Well, he's one of the fastest workers I'm a slow worker when it comes to music, like it's gonna take me some time. Drama and I cooked up I Want You but you'll never know it's on my album, and Phone Can Die, which is on his in one weekend and each session was like an hour and a half. Like it was fucking crazy how fast we work together. And that may be chemistry, but also Drama is just an alien in that regard. And yeah, one of the most talented people.
Speaker 2: Have anything on the way that you could speak on any podcast stuff. You guys are working on anything. Live show. Guys do the live show thing. Obviously the merch is booming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we actually have more more merch coming.
Speaker 2: Was a bare minimum Boys is a T shirt you can go buy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's off the market now. It was just for a day you could buy it. But we have our actual merch, which you know, we pride ourselves on having the best merch in the podcast space. Like it's it's.
Speaker 2: Not tour t shirts Patreon that you drive once and are going, but yes Patreon.
Speaker 1: We're on our new studio. Now we have a I mean by the time you're hearing this, we have more sketches out. I think tomorrow Monday, Merchant two weeks. We with this new studio space and office space, you know, we're back to getting in the actual rhythm.
Speaker 2: So would you do another podcast, because you know, there's a lot of people, especially in the comedic world, that they do like multiple podcasts, like you got like, uh, you know Tom Sagori doesn't know.
Speaker 1: W Yeah, don't b Chriischer, you know, like I haven't pitched it to him. But Terrell Grice who has one of my favorite YouTube platforms where he has R and B singers come on and they do like a like a word game. Well he'll say a word and they have to sing a song that has that word in it, like with a singer. One of my favorite platforms by far, and just like one of the coolest guys I think on YouTube. I would love to do some type of R and B thing with him. That'd be dope, but he may be too big for me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know, well, because.
Speaker 2: There's like only I think the R and B Money podcast and then what you guys and with Joe. I feel like you and you guys and Joe's.
Speaker 1: And we weren't even like we touched upon R and B guy we weren't an R and pocket at it. Yeah, so I think that space definitely has a void to feel and this album could start that. But again, you know, I needed a year to get this ship off the ground.
Speaker 2: With a new one, we'll go run it up stream it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought it'd be different, thought to be different on all platforms by Vinyl. Will be out probably next year because that should take it ever forever. Shit takes fucking forever time. But designing the artwork for that now they have the masters and we found a company that I think can turn it over in less than a year.
Speaker 2: So there it is. Man, Well, I appreciate you pulling up. I appreciate you having finally.
Speaker 1: Made it happen. You don't have something to promote, been wanting to do this for quite some time, but you know this made more sense.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, man, Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Boom Fire.
Speaker 2: Hey, we gotta wrap up an interview brought to you by Hard Dean Las Vegas. Appreciate y'all watching. Hey, don't forget when you go to Vegas, you gotta go to Hard Dean. Man, it's the craziest dispensary you'll ever walk into. It smells like fucking heaven in there. All right, get in that uber when you hit Sin City, tell them take me to hard Dean. They're gonna take you. You're gonna get a wild selection of the just top, top of the line cannabis, the best selection you'll go be able to see in the US. Plus on top of that, they got the crazy gear, they got the clothes, they got the bikinis, they got a wonderful selection of bud tenders that are very good at their job. Man, they'll take carry you. Tell them that Bootleg keV sent you. The bud tenders are Hardean. Don't know what that means. They're gonna get you hooked up right, all right? Go follow them online Hardan Underscore Los Vegas, or just go shout out their website too. Man, Hardinloasvegas dot com and you're in Vegas, pull up to Harden or you're playing yourself for real,