Speaker 1: Smell us now, Ladie, Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia Meat Eater Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to meat Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on September the fifth, and we're live from Mediator HQ in Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Brent Reeves and joined today by Brodie Henderson and Seth Morris. On today's show, we'll talk to Jim Fouth about the state record Salven. He called from a pontoon. Now what that fishers doing on a pontoon, I don't know. But then we're gonna do a meat Eater menu where we discuss what we've been cooking lately, followed by one minute of fishing at the meat Eater Pond with Tresa, and then we'll have a chettiquette about hunting a spot that a guide showed you, following by an interview from hound Hunting for Bears and retired game warden Chris excuse me, Chris Poll. And finally we'll discuss our top three worst days of fishing all time. No such thing as if there is such a thing, I do have to dig for that one, all right, Uh, Seth, yes, sir, there's purportedly been an intruder in your.
Speaker 3: Office, Yes, there was.
Speaker 4: Tell us about the mouse.
Speaker 3: So last week I got into my office in the morning and I'm turning my computer on whatnot, and I just happened to start looking around at my desk and notice a couple of little mouse turns on my desk.
Speaker 2: You know what they say about rat pills, don't you, No, shut they're sharp.
Speaker 4: On both ends.
Speaker 3: These were sharp on both ends. So yeah, I don't know how he got in my office. I don't know how he got in the office building period. But I recently set a trap line a few of these in my office, and uh, I haven't caught them yet, but we'll we'll.
Speaker 5: See no other sightings or reports of I sent.
Speaker 3: Out a Slack message to everyone in the office saying, keep an eye out for little mouse turds. But it only seems like I was then the only one that had an issue in my office.
Speaker 2: So I'm not a fan of miss road. It's the only kind of road it I like. Is a beaver and a squirrel?
Speaker 5: What about rabbit?
Speaker 3: Aren't they? Are they rodents? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I like rabbits too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we have a long history of I grew up on a chicken farm. Oh yeah, you know, and they're mice and they're they're all rats to me, They're just big and little. That's that's the way I look at them. So I hate them all. So I wish you look on your journey on your trap.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Yeah, hopefully we'll get them. I don't know, we'll see. I have a baited with some uh crunchy peanut butter, so I think that'll do the trick.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you told me about it because you could. You could catch me with crunchy. You got any any issues or any history, Brody.
Speaker 5: Nothing out of the ordinary.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: One time I had a pack rat in my shed.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen?
Speaker 5: You know what those are? And they got those kind of big cute eyes. It's a little harder to kill those, but I did.
Speaker 2: You suffered through it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: The rats, I mean, they're they've got a place and some and somewhere else is where I need them to be.
Speaker 1: Well, Uh, we should just point out Brent, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons we called you in as an all star pinch hitter was because we've got two of our usual correspondents, Doctor Randall and Spencer Newhart are actually in the air right now, flying to ann Arbur, Michigan for the tailgate tour.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. Here's how dedicated they are and how much they are so bummed to be here. We've got doctor Randall himself on the line from thirty four thousand feet.
Speaker 3: Let's see if we can.
Speaker 5: Bring him in here and see did he take his plane off the airplane mode?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know what. Oh, there he is. Oh we got a thumbs up from Randall.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: Give us the thumbs up or thumbs down if you like water and bisk off cookies.
Speaker 1: Got a little oh, thumbs out, thumbs up.
Speaker 2: Nice, Thanks for the update. You guys have a good time on the tailgate party.
Speaker 3: Say flight doctor later. Randall? Nice, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'll let you drive.
Speaker 1: And Brent, you've also you've also got a fan in the uh in the in the chat here, let's see who it is.
Speaker 3: Oh, who's that guy? Oh it's mister Newcomb.
Speaker 2: Play nukemb This guy right here is my brother, but he goes by his middle name, which few people know is chat at Turkey calling contest NUKEM Oh wow. No, it's not fighting words. Those are fact words. He's a good turkey collar. But I will It's not that I'm bitter or anything or that I still remember.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound like it at all.
Speaker 4: No, not at all, Brody.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, we're about to chat with the new Montana state record holder for chinook salmon. Chinook or king salmon. They're the largest of the five species of Pacific salmon saltwater, but in some states they're also stocked in big bodies of fresh water, and including Fort Peck Reservoir here in Montana, and they get pretty big eating a bait fish that's Cisco big bait fish. So we're gonna get it, get in touch with the new record.
Speaker 2: Holder, all right, Jonan. Joining us on the line is mister Jim Fouth, the man who caught the new Montana state records salmon from a pontoon boat. Mister Jim, Welcome.
Speaker 4: To the show.
Speaker 8: Thank you, good to be here.
Speaker 4: Tell us about tell us about that day.
Speaker 9: You know, we just planned on going out and having a little fun with a couple of friends of ours and maybe catch a few salmon for the freezer.
Speaker 8: And I've got a pontoon I like it a lot of room to move around.
Speaker 9: I guess now it's really not the ideal boat for salmon, but you know it worked.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I mean it seems pretty ideal to me. You're out there, you're comfortable, you're catching great big fish.
Speaker 8: Absolutely. It was kind of a slow day because it was the.
Speaker 9: Only one we caught, and I still have to go fill my freezer with other things.
Speaker 8: But you know, it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Tell us about that Roden reel setup you were using.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, you know, actually I dug that out. It's a genuine if I don't get to tangle up in the rafters here, it's a competition combo. My uncle Verne gave me that nearest I can figure about fifteen years ago. I remember him showing up here. He was an avid fisherman, and he showed up with two of them. He says they were on sale at Walmart. I believe he said perfect, so he bought me one. You know, that was the way he operated. He was generous and loved fishing, and he wanted to go fishing. Well, we didn't get to do it that day because it was raining casts and dogs, but I've used it a couple times on the pontoon just for salmon. I believe this August was the fourth time I'd ever been out on Fort Tec for salmon, and if I.
Speaker 5: Go, it worked apparently, so did you guys know that it was a record class fish when it came in the boat.
Speaker 9: You know, once we got it in the boat, I did have a digital scale with me, and you know, they're they may or may not be close, and it said thirty three to nine, which you know, sounded pretty good. But I was out there with my wife and these is that a couple and on the far side of the lake, and we thought, well, let's just fish a little longer and see what we got.
Speaker 2: You know, how long had you been fishing when you caught that one?
Speaker 8: You know, about twelve thirty.
Speaker 9: I think we got on the water about nine, so we've been out there maybe three hours as all, maybe nine thirty we got on, hadn't got a bite. I'd seen a few go through, and we were in about one fifty one sixty feet of.
Speaker 8: Water and I had my don rigger set at eighty.
Speaker 9: And apparently that's where we stumbled upon this fish.
Speaker 8: Fish.
Speaker 2: You know, well, that kind of fishing is forward to me, Seth, you do that, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't do much trolling for salmon on four pack. I fished for walleye and pike and small mouths. But yeah, I've never actually done sam fishing on four pack. Now we do it in Alaska up at our cabins and stuff fish for kings and whatnot. But yeah, how are you so you were rolling for that fish?
Speaker 8: I was trolling.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And like I said, I've not done much down rigging at all. Just kind of mimicked what other people showed me or told me. And I was just using a big motor idle down as much as I could.
Speaker 8: So we were running about two and a half miles an hour.
Speaker 5: Okay, were you running a spoon or a fly or what were you running?
Speaker 8: I guess the flashers called a scutty dog maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I picked it up that morning, good good, and pulling like a green and white squid behind it.
Speaker 3: Yep. Nice.
Speaker 9: And you know, I fished with a buddy out there a few years ago and we caught a few, you know, ten to fifteen pounds, and that's what we.
Speaker 8: Used then, and so, not knowing any better, I just used the same thing.
Speaker 5: So did you you had to get that thing weighed officially? Did you have to take it to a marina or how'd you handle that part of it?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, we we kept fishing for a while and what they told me later, I should have gone right in. But we went to the Portbeck Marina and it weighed thirty two point eight there, but their scale was not certified for this year. So we went over to Lake Bridge and it weighed thirty two point eight there, but it wasn't certified for place either. But a fellow there man, he loaded my cooler up with ice and so then packing around.
Speaker 5: As the longer it goes, it's losing weight, right, like why is evaporating out of it?
Speaker 9: Yep, And that's what I was told. I probably lost one or two pounds.
Speaker 5: Oh really, huh?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I love fishing, but I'm not an expert, right, so I think it was robbed at lake Bridge. He got a hold of Steve Dolby out of Glasgow who could officially weigh it and measure it, and he said, well, meet you at Rentals market there in Glasgow. So we went in there and put it on their meat market scale. But it unfortunately maxed out at thirty pounds, so that wasn't gonna work. And he says, well, let's try the deli, which is on the other end of the store. So we packed the cooler down to the other end and no maxed out at thirty. So we took it out to my pickup and I'm making a few phone calls trying to find a scale, and I thought, man, I might have to take this back to Malta.
Speaker 8: And then the Steve come out.
Speaker 9: He says, we got that that other scale working and it was good for sixty pounds and it was certified.
Speaker 8: So that's when he He weighed out.
Speaker 9: At thirty two sixty two and thirty eight inches long and the girth was twenty eight, which kind of a fat fick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, did you?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: I guess what do you end up doing? Because I wanted to cut that thing's stomach open to see what was inside of it. But you're probably getting it mounted or something.
Speaker 8: Huh, I am.
Speaker 9: I Actually I called the local taxidermis. He says, I don't do fish. The guy you want is Rich White out of billings.
Speaker 8: With Northern anglers. Yeah, and you look.
Speaker 9: At his website and he's got an award there, says he's the twenty twenty four world champion, which was very fortunate. And I got a hold of him and we caught it on Friday and.
Speaker 8: Tuesday he had the fish.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 8: So he's got it, and now I have to wait.
Speaker 5: So he's doing is he's doing a skin mount not like one of those those replica mounts.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he says.
Speaker 9: There's only six or seven replica mounts that we can use, he says, and there isn't any.
Speaker 8: That quite matched this fish.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so he says, I'm gonna have to skin it and build his own mount. I guess Q two news down there they called me on it, and then they interviewed him too, and so I saw it there in his shop. You know, he hadn't unwrapped it, but that's what he was talking about, was skin mountain it.
Speaker 3: What's what was the weight of the previous record, do you know? Uh?
Speaker 8: Thirty two oh five?
Speaker 3: And what was yours again?
Speaker 8: Thirty two sixty two?
Speaker 3: Huh half a.
Speaker 2: Pounds yeah, half a pound bigger?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What was the uh?
Speaker 2: What was your biggest fish before this one, mister Jim?
Speaker 9: Oh, probably a northern that was about twenty two pounds.
Speaker 2: Did you know when you hooked that you had something pretty special the way?
Speaker 4: Just from feeling it.
Speaker 9: You know, I knew that I had not ever hooked onto anything quite that heavy. I had no idea it was going to be a record, not at all. I figured in the twenties someplace.
Speaker 3: When you're fishing for those things, Jim, are you ever catching anything other than salmon?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 8: I think a few years ago I hooked a lake trout, but okay, mostly just salmon.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 5: Well, congratulations, that's quite a fish. Got your name in the record book now, I.
Speaker 9: Guess so I sobody the other days said, well, I think everybody gets fifteen minutes of fame, and I think I'm down to the last few seconds.
Speaker 4: You enjoy it. You got thirty plus pounds. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Jim, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: Thanks Jim Man.
Speaker 2: Looking at that fish, I get hungry. I love fish. We eat it a lot. I want to spend in this next segment, we're gonna do the meat eater menu.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sorry, give me, give me a second. I was trying to get to the end of that video as we could see the fish. But it's time for the meat eater menu.
Speaker 2: You say, Brent, I'd say it is goodness for the thank sword rat may taste like punkin pie, but I never know, because I wouldn't eat the filthy money. I like punkin pie.
Speaker 4: Brody, Yeah, you've been you.
Speaker 2: I see lots of stuff on your Instagram And we talk a lot here, you talking about the stuff that you cook.
Speaker 4: What you been whooping on?
Speaker 5: You know this time of year. Every year, I make a big batch of smoked fish. And we were just at the fish shack recently and Seth and I generally don't keep too many of them, but my boys wouldn't stop keep keeping these pink salmon, which are they're like lower on the quality scale of salmon. Like generally it goes like if you're gonna eat salmon, it's like salt, you know, saltwater caught out of the salt, it goes king, sakey, silver, pink and chump. It's not that they're bad, they're just not as good as the really good ones. And my boys kept a lot of them, so I smoked a bunch of them. Do that every year to use for hunting snacks. Like it's kind of like a kind of like a fish version of jerky. Yeah, I do it so it's smoked out pretty dry, so you can carry it in your backpack and it doesn't get all mushed up into nothing. I go a little lighter on the salt. Then some people might go because too much of that salt. I just start to get sick of it. But the recipes actually in the Meat Eater Outdoor Cookbook for this type of smoked fish, and me and Steve are going to be eating a bunch of this stuff next week on a loose hunt in Alaska, just to break it up from the freeze dry.
Speaker 4: You know, some something other.
Speaker 3: Than freeze dry.
Speaker 4: Vacuum vacuum.
Speaker 3: I guess yep, it's key to break up the freeze dry.
Speaker 5: Oh man, yeah, I'll mess up your guts ten days of eating that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 5: So, Yeah, got a bunch of it. I was gonna bring some in today, had it thought out in the freezer, and forgot it.
Speaker 2: Well you can, uh, what what's your method of doing that?
Speaker 5: I mean, I dry brine it in a mixture of brown sugar and salt is the two main You can put other spices in there if you want, but it's really like the sugar and the salt. So you just pack those filets in a mixture of brown sugar and salt. Let it sit for I like to overdo it because it'll get too salty. But twelve hours set them so overnight.
Speaker 4: Out I mean in open air or vac Are you sealing that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, you just like I have a big tub that I lay. I'll lay a layer of filets, pack it with salt and sugar, lay another layer of flets. Pack and just stack that up, okay, and uh throw it in the fridge overnight. And when you when you check that stuff in the morning, it's just liquid in there, like it's way yeah, it sucks all it's swimming in that brine. And that's when you know you're good to go, because you pick up those filets in the real firm and they're not quite as as Uh.
Speaker 2: Can you taste a fish or are you mostly tasting what you drive? Oh?
Speaker 5: You can taste it. If you go way too heavy on the salt, it's just gonna taste like salt. So that's why I go a little lighter. And uh, then I you gotta after that stuff sits in the brine, you gotta dry it. Off, and then you gotta let it sit for a while. Usually I'll put a fan on it, because you've got to develop what's called a pellicle, which is like kind of a sticky, dry layer, and that's what grabs onto that smoke when you put it in that. So then you throw it in the smoke, or I try not to do it very hot at all, like one fifty one sixty. It's okay if it gets up to one eighty two hundred and you're gonna start cooking it instead of smoking it, which is not what you want to do. If you can avoid it, and to get it to where I like it pretty dry, like you saw in the picture. It's it's three or four hours usually. Okay, some people like it a lot moister, and two hours is plenty for that. But but I'm doing it for a specific purpose and I want it dry, so I go longer.
Speaker 2: If you take well, I mean, what do you take? Just an arbitrary number of them, or you could try to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, yeah, I think I did. Probably, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about when you when y'all take off, when you load your pack, you're trying to put three pounds in there.
Speaker 5: No, no, like one or two filets. It was plenty for it, because you know you're just snacking on it. I'll probably for We'll be hunting for nine or ten days up in Alaska, so I'll probably take I don't know, six or eight filets up there.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Saith, but you've been working on anything, oh man.
Speaker 3: The one thing I struggle with, because I always have a lot of fish in my freezer from Alaska, is like trying to figure out and come up with new things to do with it. I currently have a bunch of halibit in the freezer, and I'm always like trying to figure out what to do with other than frying it or whatnot. So the other day I took some fresh parmesan and grated it real fine, just packed it on the top of a fly, seasoned it up and stuff put some garlic on their salt pepper, and then bake that in the oven not very long. It was a fairly small filet, but those smaller halbit flays are just oh yeah, they're yeah. And then to finish it off, I turned a broiler on and kind of crisped up that parmesan on the top. It was like parmesan Halbert Flay.
Speaker 2: Clay brought some of that home from his Oh yeah, and from that spring trip. Yeah, I tried it up there to his house and it was it was really good.
Speaker 5: They got those things in Arkansas.
Speaker 2: I know that meant if they were so I got them all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, man, that was really good. It was nothing like what I thought it would taste like it was.
Speaker 3: It's a fairly mild fish like you can kind of make it taste like anything. But yeah, just I have someone, like I said, I have so much in the freezer, and you just I just got to get creative every once in a while to yeah I can break it up. Well, yeah, I'm happy to share it with folks. So but yeah, made that and then some garden vegetables on the side, lots of butter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 1: That is garden season, man, I know, I know which my guard didn't do great this year, which I don't know what happened.
Speaker 3: I got to figure that out.
Speaker 5: But it's it's like it's kind of a bummer, Like it's great to be this time of year where you have the garden stuff coming in, but you know that burst frost as like, oh, it's soon. It's gonna crush your Yeah.
Speaker 4: We've been cooking a lot of fish too. I don't know. I said, feel some pictures.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get those up there and.
Speaker 2: We'll get see which one is. I mean, I like to cook a lot of stuff. Oh, rich, Right here, this right here is my daughter's favorite. That is flat belly catfish and grits and great and some and some fried catfish that went in there with it.
Speaker 5: But that now, wait a minute, you said flat belly. I'm assuming you meant flat flat belly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, belly made off of flathead is what I meant to say.
Speaker 4: And we'll take that.
Speaker 2: And I got this recipe from a buddy of my, or this technique from a buddy of mine, Keith Brandon, And he and I went and his wife.
Speaker 4: We went and caught a bunch of fish that.
Speaker 2: On the river, clean river, and we cut them things up like cubes and just put butter on a blackstone on a on a grill and saltail on there with bacon and butter, and then make grits. I mean, it's pretty simple recipe, and but it is so good. And we fried the bacon that we put on there. Now this is this photograph. Right here is some h that's a flathead filet and a and some bear steak tenderloin right there.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: But now that the slaw there, I gotta I gotta give credit where that is due. And that that is Clay's secret recipe. That's not a secret slaw, but it is absolutely fantasm.
Speaker 5: There's nothing like a good coal.
Speaker 4: Slaw.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: Man that stuff right here especially, I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: That he killed it. It is. It's very simple.
Speaker 2: It's coaslaw, coast law mix we use. I use the Duke's stuff, the salad dressing mix, and salt pepper, some cut up jalapenos, as much cilantro as you can gather to put in there, chopped up, and some Tony Sassary's cage and season over the top of it. And the first day you make it is good. And I asked Clay when I when when I ate this at his house? I said, Man, tell me tell me what the recipe is.
Speaker 4: He said, Man, you just gotta let Jesus decide.
Speaker 5: He's just got a souped up version of a normal coal.
Speaker 4: Though it is absolutely good.
Speaker 3: It's I got a question for you going back to the fried fish. What's your preferred coating cornmeal, cornmeal, cornmell. Do you season the fish and then cornmeal in the friar? Or is the season with the corn.
Speaker 2: Mill season the meal and you and salt and pepper and cornmeal is fine. But we have a little recipe either we use cornmeal, lemon, pepper and some different like some cagun seasoning here and there, and it depending on if you want to, you know, have a little bite to it, if it wants to be spicy, you know, yep, how you gauge how much cajun you put in there?
Speaker 5: So that flatthead that's like your go to fish, that's what you're eating the most.
Speaker 2: That's the number that's number one on the catfish is a flathead. No, my favorite is like bluegill brim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brent, we've got a question from a Max. He's asking what is your go to squirrel recipe? Says he's got a few more weeks until New Jersey squirrel season and he wants to be prepared with a good one.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I'm gonna tell you it is the best way to do that. But the quickest way and the easiest way is something that I grew up eating is We would skin the squirrels and bawl them for thirty minutes or so, and they're just on a slow rolling bowl and they're done. Once you do that, then take them out, cut them up, quarter them up, and then flour and then fry them in a skillet and a cast iron skillet and cooking them slow is key. And if you're you know, gray squirrels are always what we're going to, you know, fry and just about the fox squirrels, they're just about going to always go into some kind of dumplings or stew or do.
Speaker 5: You feel like there's that much difference in like how tender they are?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly really, oh yeah, and especially a young gray squirrel, it's there is a way difference.
Speaker 4: And we call them cat squirrels.
Speaker 2: And I was talking to a fellow one day and he's like, we've got gray squirrels.
Speaker 4: I've never seen a cat squirrel.
Speaker 2: And I had to remind it we have a different dictionary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there is.
Speaker 2: An absolute tender tenderness difference between a fox squirrel and gray squirrel, especially them old fox squirrels are big.
Speaker 4: Ones, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're just tougher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty tough.
Speaker 3: So when you're saying cooking them slow, do you mean like frying them on a lower temperature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lower, because they're already done. They're dumb if you bawl them. And what you're trying to do is just get that the flat hour coating on the outside and whatever season you put on there, and just slowly let that get on there.
Speaker 4: And once that's done, you're there.
Speaker 5: And you're boiling them. Had time to get rid of some of that shoe, right, yeah, yeah, a little bit softer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you put some sauce on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well just we're just straight up, just straight up there fried, just like chicken, just like you know, a flour and whatever, salt and pepper, anything that you want to put in there.
Speaker 3: So it sounds good, it's good.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 5: Are you like clay? You like to like ruin all that meat with a shotgun when you shoot them or you had shooting them with a twenty Well.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to shoot them with a We usually had a sniper and a follow up man. Yeah, so we got somebody with a twenty two and somebody with a shotgun. But hopefully, hopefully you just get a headshot. Now you know, Uh, my family didn't eat them, but you know a lot of folks like squirrel brains, which you're not supposed to eat.
Speaker 5: Never tried any hurry either, No me either.
Speaker 2: It's just something about that I don't have any more room for the brains of mine is.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to put a squirrels in there.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do a quick call to action here because I think it might be fun. Go ahead and send us pictures of your wild game meals that you made over the weekend. Maybe we'll feature them on the show. Chrien, do we have a what's the email address for the show?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 7: I still don't just radio at the meat eater dot Oh that's.
Speaker 1: Easy to remember. Radio at the meat eater dot com. Take a picture something you made, give it. You don't have to give us the recipe, but maybe throw us just some like a twist you put on it or something like that. I think we will show it off on the show with your message.
Speaker 2: Pail, Yes, got any feedback going up there that we do?
Speaker 1: I I've got one more question than we've got. We got to check in with some people outside. But Jacob is asking if you have any tips for processing big game when you live in a small apartment, have a friend.
Speaker 5: With a big house.
Speaker 3: Been there, done that? Yeah, tub bathtubs, Yeah, just tarps on your living room floor, or just.
Speaker 5: Get that thing like quartered out in the field and then you know you can do it on the kitchen table and have a cooler there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Just working with smaller pieces and a smaller, you know, smaller living space.
Speaker 3: I lived in the spot up in Helena when I first moved to Montana, where the only spot for one of our freezers was in our bathroom, and to sit on the toilet you had to sit side saddle because your knees would hit the the freezer.
Speaker 1: So I kind of learned how to sounds like a bathtub gin operation to kind of learned how to cut stuff up in a small spot.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: Well, we've got one more question. That is a good segue, not really a question to comment. It'd be a good segue into our next segment. Ryan's got a tip. This is probably a Spencer tip, but Spencer might still be watching. He's got a tip for one minute fishing. He'd love to see a running leaderboard. How long it takes someone to eventually catch the fish, even if they go over the one minute, that's a good idea.
Speaker 7: What was yours the other time?
Speaker 3: I don't remember the exact time, but.
Speaker 2: It wasn't long because you had to come back yet you call it to fishing and come in. So was it within a minute or so?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We yeah? Cool.
Speaker 1: Well on that note.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 2: We are going to check in with Treessa, who is going to do our one minute fishing episode.
Speaker 4: Tesa hook us up girl.
Speaker 6: Oh, just sitting out here trying to show away the ducks. We had ducks, generator, helicopter and the landscape lan scapers out here.
Speaker 1: That's okay, you know. And it's some kind of sketchy video quality. We must be in some sort of cell phone black hole behind our office. But we are looking to improve. We're getting a new camera set up in the next few weeks, so one Minute Fishing will be crystal clear soon. But for now, we got to put up with this.
Speaker 5: So Treesa, your very experienced fly angler. What fly do you got on there?
Speaker 6: I do fly fishing lots. I have two five weights right now.
Speaker 5: Oh you got different roots.
Speaker 3: That's WoT that is smart?
Speaker 6: Set them out and cycling through the sea, so one of them. If there was risers, I had a purple haze, so I sixteen. I don't see any risers yet. Today we just saw one. So now I'm gonna try and use this little leech pattern. Maybe you size ten, I'm not quite sure, so I might start with that since there's no risers.
Speaker 7: Trisa, can I just ask you to introduce yourself to our audience for a moment. She is a colleague of ours. What do you do here at meat Eater, Tresa.
Speaker 6: I'm the digital product developer, so right, code and design some pages, forms and help out across the websites with anything code related.
Speaker 7: Website sign and you also joined us on trivia from time to time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, the worst for me. Anytime I have beat me honey.
Speaker 2: Anytime I have technical questions, I call Trista and she fixes it up.
Speaker 3: Trisa, did you do any sort of pre fish before this or you're just doing what I did and going for it?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 6: I came out on Monday for about an hour, but it was like the hottest part of the day. It was close to terrible. But they were popping like crazy, like popcorn and they were eating micro chubbies. The purple hazer.
Speaker 5: Right, you ever hear of a micro chubby? There?
Speaker 2: Brent, No Arkansas, I had no, No, I hadn't. I want to leave the whole conversation alone.
Speaker 4: But here's what's cool about it.
Speaker 2: If she catches a fish within the one minute time limit, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a conservation group. And this week, Treesa says that captains for clean waters. It's who she wants to donate. The donate it too, So Tesa, get to fish.
Speaker 1: There we go. I'll head a timer. I had some music prepared, but the file was too long and I didn't have enough time to fix it before we went live today. So this will be a much more exciting segment in the weeks to come. But for now, I'm just gonna start how to stop Watch? All right, Treesa, you ready here? She goes, all right, I'm gonna as soon as I see you cast, I'm gonna hit that hit that button.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, there we go. Come on, Treesa, No pressure, looks like she's on that left end of the of the pond where the inflow comes in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were out there yesterday and Corey caught a fish right over there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these fish are gonna get harder and harder to catch, man, because there's not like an unlimited number of them in there. They're getting worked over, So I feel like this is going to get more difficult as time goes on.
Speaker 1: She's at thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Oh, Treesa is a show enough fly fisherman.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Tressa's out on the water more than anybody checking this office.
Speaker 2: I would say her Instagram as she is, except for maybe killer.
Speaker 1: Come on one minute, one minutes, ten seconds, Tressa, come on, come on seven six, five, four three two one.
Speaker 2: Time is time is up. We're still drawing interest on that five hundred dollars and.
Speaker 5: The interest to donating some more money to conservation groups. I think we ought a lobby spencer to get this changed to two minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two minutes fishing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know when you catch one. Cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Thanks Tressa. You can keep fishing just like Seth did last week. Hopefully we see it coming.
Speaker 7: In and if you get one, run on in here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bring it in. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I wouldn't stand a chance if I was a fish out there and she was fishing. Oh, we've got what's happening here fellas listener feedback?
Speaker 1: You know, we already covered some listener feedback, but if you guys have any questions that you want to hit at the end of the show, please keep sending them in into the live chat there, questions or comments, and we'll hit him up at the end. But for now, Brent, I think you have a guest who is not on the line yet, so we got to get him in here.
Speaker 5: Okay, we're rolling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I skipped. I skipped the category. I'm so sorry, Like this is my third show. All right, Brent, you want to cue U jeticut yeahetiicut t q you.
Speaker 5: E t t e means to me c g t qu you e t t E. Take care?
Speaker 3: Film? Is that you singing?
Speaker 1: Who's to say?
Speaker 5: That is excellent?
Speaker 3: Film? That was phenomenal?
Speaker 4: Oh? Absolutely all right?
Speaker 2: Uh, Chettikot is going to talk about hunting a spot shown to you by a god?
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 10: Hello, everybody, I'm Chester Floyd and I'm coming at you from a beautiful campfire in Wisconsin this evening. This week's Chettikit question comes to us from Blake. Blake writes, if I can see it on this piece of paper here. Here's a personal dilemma I'm having. I went on a guided hunt some years back. The guide guided me on some public land DLM and State in New Mexico. I had a really good hunt, and I killed a smoker buck. Since then, the guide has raised his prices and I've been applying. I've been applying on my own for the tag here in New Mexico. I've drawn this tag, and I'm wondering if I go back to the area I killed the buck in, is that screwed up? Or should I feel guilty if I run into the guide?
Speaker 5: Oh, you should definitely feel guilty.
Speaker 10: Loody, That spot burning.
Speaker 11: Man's wrong.
Speaker 8: I think you knew what you do it all along.
Speaker 5: That spot burning. Don't you call up.
Speaker 10: The guide and see what he has to say.
Speaker 3: Whoa Chester, That's phenomenal?
Speaker 5: Hell all right?
Speaker 10: So spot burning is when someone shows you a spot and then you go and hunt that area and you do not notify that person that you're going to be in there. That is a no no. However, Blake, I don't want you to eat your tag that you put in and spend money on. So maybe this unit in New Mexico is large and you can go hunt not where you killed the buck last time, but maybe on the other side of the unit. Look for a similar area topography, and hopefully you can still get in to a good hunt.
Speaker 3: Wise words, that was good advice from Chester crowd.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't think this one requires a lot of debate.
Speaker 2: No, I had some experience with that, guiding duck hunters on public land back when it was legal in Arkansas and taking folks in there or I mean, it's really to me, it's really no different than taking your buddies somewhere to a place you found and there, then you go back and then they're in there.
Speaker 5: I mean, he could have if he knew at some point in the future he was thinking about hunting that same place again, he could have asked the guide then, Yeah, you're probably gonna get an answer like, well, I make a living here. You know, it is public land, so it's not like he doesn't have the right to go there. It's just like a courtesy thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, like he if you really wanted to push the issue, like he could call the guide yeah and be like, hey man, I just want to run this past you. Are you hunting in there this year. If you're not hunting in there this year, like, is this something you're comfortable with? That kind of thing. Just just talk to the.
Speaker 5: Guy, don't be sneaky about it. I have an acquaintance guide guides down in Florida, and he had a client out with him and they're fishing kind of some back country everglade stuff. And figured out that that guy was like marking spots and got hold that phone.
Speaker 9: And.
Speaker 5: Like those guides worked hard to find their spots.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's they're making a living out there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and then some folks might say, you know, well, I'm paying him for the opportunity. Well, you're paying him for the opportunity to be there with him right during that time. Yeah, that's that's pretty cut and dried. But that's good stuff there from chet Chester always all right. Uh.
Speaker 4: The next fellow joining is a friend of mine.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: His name is Chris Powell, and he's retired game warden from the state of Indiana.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cut you off. He's not in the in the stream yet, so maybe we skip ahead, go ahead and hit our top threes. Next. I try to come back to Chris.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, Chris. If you're out there waiting, we'll be coming back for you, all right. The top threes. On the last segment, I think with Spencer was talking about they had you ranked the top three states that you'd like to own some hunting property in. Well, this week we're going to do the top three worst days of fishing.
Speaker 5: You ever had a lot of fishing stuff this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of fishing stuff. Seth. Let's start with you. What's you got, give me three worst or whatever you get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So mine aren't exactly days of fishing that were bad. I got two incidents while I was fishing that were bad and one trip that was just all around not a great trip. The trip we want we one time did for the Meat Eater television show. We went to Devil's Lake for an ice fishing trip, okay, and it was a disaster.
Speaker 4: Just no fish.
Speaker 3: Well there was some fish, there wasn't a lot, but it was fifty blow zero. I have some notes here of all this stuff that went wrong. It's fifty blow zero. We broke an axle on the trailer, we broke two side by sides. Tressa's got a fish going back. Nice works.
Speaker 4: I told you fish chairs.
Speaker 3: Where was Oh, so we broke two side by sides. We broke a snow bear, which is like a tracked machine that goes out on the ice and you can fish like from inside of it. There's like holes in the bottom of the floor.
Speaker 4: It's all foreign.
Speaker 3: Let's see one of oh are like trucks every day one start. One of our gas that was on that show got got the truck stuck, and this nice like random guy just like hooked up through her truck to pull her out. And then in the meantime like him doing that, he ended up blowing the turbo out of his truck. Fishing was overall not great and everyone got COVID. Oh my gosh, So that was like disaster.
Speaker 5: Chester's fought. What did we call that?
Speaker 3: Chester's Folly? Yeah, Chet, I don't want to throw a chat under the bus. He's a great fisherman there. But there's a video, but there's a video out there, it's on YouTube. Chester's Folly. But Chet had a lot to do with putting that trip together.
Speaker 5: Which, yeah, if we had a little bit.
Speaker 3: Better better weather, things would have went way better.
Speaker 4: But nothing of the weather wasn't forecasted to be like that.
Speaker 3: Was well, it was, yeah, and we went anyway, okay, but we.
Speaker 11: Learned a lot.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I'm putting all that on Chester.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was a disaster of a fishing trip I got. So. I was fishing with Chester one time and we pushed ah approaching thunderstorm a little too close and we're both fishing and at the same exact time we both got electrocuted through our fishing rods. Like the strike. It wasn't like it wasn't a lightning strike, but just like the electricity in the air.
Speaker 5: It's a very unnerving feeling. Like one time I had that buzz in my hand and just yep, it's not.
Speaker 3: A good feeling. No, yeah, Like literally we're both holding the rod at the same time, both got electrocuted and it wasn't like just a little shock either. It was like whoa like dropped the rods and yeah, we tucktail and got out of there. And then the third incident that was bad while fishing was I think Phil's got a video of it up here. Bring in this summer when I was in Alaska, I was fishing and I caught a Pacific cod and brought it into the boat and kind of wasn't paying attention, and my dog kind of got after it, and the dog ended up getting hooked with a haliby Jake.
Speaker 1: Yikes, my buddy Casey here just happened.
Speaker 3: Just happened to be filming when it happened.
Speaker 2: So I think his expression is pretty well explained it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little wiley was not happy that hook went through the scruff of her neck, went in and came out and ended up having to bend the barb and I popped it back out. I tried cutting the hook, but those halibut hooks are just so big and heavy that she's all right, She's fine. Yep, yep. She took it like a chance.
Speaker 2: There you go, Brody, you got anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got a couple a long time ago, back back in my guiding days, I was guiding on the Colorado River during sam and fly Hatch and floating down through this canyon and came around a corner and there's an upside down drift boat in the water in front of me. There was a little boy trapped under that boat.
Speaker 1: But if you want to hear the.
Speaker 5: Rest of the story, you got to listen to media or campfire Stories Volume one spoiler has a happy ending good. The second one was my bachelor party.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this shit, man, it's like unfortunately, like none of that stuff went on. A big group of my buddies and me. We drove a few hours. I was living in Colorado. We drove a few hours out to the desert for a weekend of camping and fishing for small muth ass and pike on the Yampa River, like very remote stretch of the Yampa River in northwestern Colorado. It was mid September, so the river is like in prime shape, low clear water was cooling off. Fishing was probably gonna be very good. Right we got we get there, we get camp set up. The forecast was like awesome for the next couple of days. Half hour after we get camp set up, the temperature drops like twenty degrees and it just starts. The heavens cut loose and like we watched the river go from like clear to muddy and into flood stage and like like instantly.
Speaker 3: And this wasn't forecasted.
Speaker 5: One forecasted at all. And that that day luge just like kept up all night long and I slept in a puddle and a tent. We got up and left in the morning without ever.
Speaker 3: Making a cast.
Speaker 5: Oh my awesome bachelor party. I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: Did you guys at least drink a beer?
Speaker 5: We did, but it was just so like because it was, Yeah, you're like huddled around this like sputtering campfire, which eventually it was horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah sounds.
Speaker 5: We're just like, let's get this over with. The Definitely the worst day I've ever had was that's probably fifteen ish years ago. A group of friends, some couples, we got together and went to Lapasse, which is in Baja Baja Peninsula, just for like a vacation. We're gonna do some fish in there. And a couple nights into the trip, we went out to eat like a very fancy, high end restaurant, and everyone had oysters at that like for an appetizer at that dinner, and I was the one who got the bad one.
Speaker 2: Oh no.
Speaker 5: And we had a trips. We had a fish guided fishing trip scheduled for the next morning, picking us up at five in the morning, and like a couple hours after we got home, like I was asleep, woke up and instantly like was sicker than I've ever been in my life. Like I like when you hear people say they felt like they were going to die, Like I felt like I.
Speaker 3: Was going to die.
Speaker 1: And that went on all night.
Speaker 5: But the guide show up at five in the morning. I'm like, I'm not missing this trip and it's about it's a little over an hour to get to this place called Los Wertos, which means bay of the Dead, which is very appropriate. Yeah, like almost crap my pants in the van on the way there. We get in the boat and I got a fever. I'm puking. I'm like weak. I spent most of the trip curled up in the fetal position in the bottom of the boat. But like rallied later in the day and uh, I caught a big rooster fish on a fly rod, which was kind of the goal, the whole goal for me of the trip. And I didn't even care, Like I just saw it. Yeah, it's just like I did. It's just like I was still so sick. I just didn't care. So that that was the worst.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, you know we talked earlier. I said, you know, it's hard for me to come up with three the worst days of fishing because it's but now that definitely qualifies what you got there.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't the fishing. It was the.
Speaker 5: Oyster's damn Mexican oyster.
Speaker 4: I've got too one of them. I talked about not too long ago.
Speaker 2: My brother and I have been doing some netting on the Arkansas River. We both got commercial licenses, and we've been doing some catfish netting out there.
Speaker 4: And it's too hot to do it right now.
Speaker 2: We're scared we'll lose fish and from staying in the staying in the net with the water temperature up so high, So we're not doing that right now. But back right before it got hot, we we're adding nets out and we go and check them. And every time we were running these nets, with the water conditions the way they were that day, we were just smashing them and we were catching one hundred pounds of fish, one hundred and fifty pounds of fish every time we went. And then we go out there and we pull up our net. The first net, it's got fish in it, no bait. We go to the second net, pull it up, it's got fish and no bait. We go to the third one, we pick it up and there's no fish and no bait in there, So we just got to do.
Speaker 4: A little figure in there.
Speaker 2: Somebody's helping us. Somebody's helping us fish out now, so we have we've laid a plan to catch them in as soon as the the weather gets a little cooled off. We're gonna maybe get some video or pictures of these folks running. But I mean, all you gotta do is just come ask I give them some fish. They ain't got to steal them. But fortunately they left my net. They didn't take it.
Speaker 5: Now, as as a man of the law, is it, what's the penalty.
Speaker 2: For doing you know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: A question for your friend we're about to talk to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be very well, couldn't be. But that was not a That wasn't a good day of fishing, because it's a lot of work, man. Anybody tell you, the easiest thing about being commercial fisherman is telling somebody you are one, because everything else is a lot of work. But another time comes to mind, it really wasn't a bad day fishing. It was just kind of an unusual set of circumstances. My brother and I were fishing, were trout fishing up on the Little Red River, and we were had got we've been camped up there and we wanted to go to a place that we caught fish the day before. When we got there, there was an older man an older woman, and they were already set up there fishing. So we were just kind of waiting them out, fishing up the river from them and waiting for them to finally get through. And they're just pulling fish after fish out of this hole into the boat, but they're turning them back out. Then you know they've caught way over their limit, but they they're releasing them. They're not keeping any of them. And unfortunately or fortunately, however you want to look at it.
Speaker 4: I hooked. I hooked myself and I hooked up.
Speaker 2: I put a little trail through my thumb, and we're at this point we floated down the river and we're probably, I don't know, fifteen yards from him, and they're looking over the shoulder. They know what we're waiting, what we're waiting on to do and trying to get in that spot. And I told my brother, said, oh man, I got hook in my hand. They turn around looking he said, how bad is it? And I said it's really bad, But it wasn't it was under it was just under that under the skin. So I told him, I said, get your pocket knife and cut it out. And they both put the rods down and they're they're looking back at us, watching and he walks up there and he doesn't he knows what I'm doing because he looks at it and he looks at me, like, you did, you can pull that out. But he took his pocket knife out where they could see it and he makes a little cut like their like. Ah, I said, let's fish, We'll go back to fishing. And I heard him say, Bertha, let's go. They put the rods in the boat and left and we got get there. Oh yeah, we caught Yeah, we caught some fish for trout from rainbows.
Speaker 4: That's for a fly fetish.
Speaker 2: I was doing the evil spin casting back then.
Speaker 3: Oh I still do that.
Speaker 2: We're putting them in the boat though. That's good. But that's two. That's that's that's the two that come to mind.
Speaker 3: And stop having a bad day on the water fishing exactly.
Speaker 1: We've got Chris on the line, Brent, whenever you want to bring it in.
Speaker 4: Oh nice.
Speaker 2: Retired game warden, great friend. It comes from the state of Indiana. It's home of Colonel Sanders, Michael Jackson, and Chris Powell, and Chris Poell is joining us. Now, Chris, are you there?
Speaker 4: I'm here. What you got there?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 11: Man, that is a sorry dog right there.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, Chris, I want to talk to you. I want to talk to you about uh tell us, tell the folks what you're retired from, and then tell us what the main reason that we're calling today.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 12: I worked twenty eight years as an Indiana Conservation officer and game warden for most of you. Some people out there think I'm still an undercover.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 4: I got that feeling myself.
Speaker 12: I wish I wish I was the Only part that I'm not getting is the paycheck we got to be. Those guys got a big pay raise here h this past year, and man, I always that money was still hitting my bank account.
Speaker 2: Tell me about Chris, Tell me about the National Houndsman Alliance that you that you're working on.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, it's kind of in the wake of all the attacks that are coming on on the national level, especially in Colorado right now. Houndsmen are always seemed like they're about ten I say this, the hunting community is usually about ten years behind the curve on on current issues and technology and different things.
Speaker 11: You can add another ten for the hound hunting community.
Speaker 12: You know, we just, uh, we needed to get something like this started for a long time, and with everything going down in Colorado right now, there are a group of guys that the group of houndsmen, men and women that came together and said, man, it's time to pull the trigger on this and get something rolling. And we're trying to put together an organization that's going to be representative from the West coast all the way to Maine and all the way down to Florida and all the way to the Southwest and houndsman in between.
Speaker 11: So nothing's off the table. If you chase it, if you like.
Speaker 12: Turning a dog loose and chasing it, then uh, there's going to be a spot for you in this organization.
Speaker 2: Outstanding and that you're doing this with a couple of other folks, am I right.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, yeah, we've got a we've got a whole right now.
Speaker 12: We're in steering committee phase, trying to put together bylaws and and you know, make it a legitimate operation.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 12: That's that's one of the biggest issues facing Colorado, or was facing College Colorado Houndsman is the fact that they needed to retool their whole Hounsman organization to get everything up and running and legal. When we find out all across the country there's a lot of there's a lot of clubs and things like that, but having the creds and the documentation, the legal paperwork to actually be able to be effective. There just aren't a lot of them out there. So there's a few a few good ones. And we've got the membership and the leadership from those organizations on board, from state levels that are gonna that are gonna jump in and give us a hand.
Speaker 2: Oh outstanding. How long have you guys been working on this project?
Speaker 12: I wrote a proposal up about five years ago and submitted it to another organization that didn't pick it up and run it run with it, But we actually probably kicked off about a month ago to really put some legs and legs on her or put wheels on the bus, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Do you have any place where people can contact you for more information or how to support it or be a part of this.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you can find us on Facebook right now in Instagram under the National Houndsman Alliance, and we answer questions there. We're trying to get things set up right now with I mean, you got to do stuff legal.
Speaker 11: Bret, Brent, you know that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And so we don't want to take people's money and things like that until we've got everything set up and have the attorney's paid.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we can follow but we can follow along and then find out when we'll be able to do that.
Speaker 11: You bet, you bet, Chris.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you. Those those dogs behind you there, what are you hunting with those?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 11: That dog behind me?
Speaker 12: I've got the trashiest dogs east of the Mississippi River.
Speaker 11: They'll run about anything. The only thing I don't hunt with them, I don't hunt. I do. Well, let's talk about things I don't know.
Speaker 12: Hunt hunt coons with I coon help with them, bear hunt, line hunt, bobcats, things like that.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 12: The dogs that I've got out in New Mexico right now. I've got a couple of dogs out there that are hog dogs as well, and I'll use them for that for a hog hunting.
Speaker 11: But it's tough, man.
Speaker 12: They don't know what they're getting turned loose on whenever I whenever they take a ride in the truck.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta hunt coming up pretty soon, don't you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we'll be headed out to New Mexico. I've been.
Speaker 12: I've missed the early season in New Mexico due to some family issues. I had to stick stick around here close.
Speaker 11: To the house.
Speaker 12: And but man, I'm telling you, September twentieth, they're gonna have to like take the wheels off the truck to keep me here. So I'm headed west to New Mexico on September twentieth, and that opener starts September twenty fifth.
Speaker 5: That's for bears or yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: M hm, when are you leaving? Headed out there?
Speaker 12: I'm gonna head out of here September twentieth, the twentieth.
Speaker 11: Yep, I gotta hit. I gotta hit northern New Mexico.
Speaker 12: Go to the ranch, pick up my dog's shorty gorm with my dogs out there to guide bear hunters in the early season. And man, they killed some brutes out there. We're talking. We're talking old mature bears, the kind of bears that need to be taken off the landscape.
Speaker 11: No teeth, I mean, they were they were awesome.
Speaker 2: Bear quickly, give me give me two good reasons why you want to hunt bears with hounds.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 12: The first reason is is because it's fun. I mean, it really is fun when you take a hound, and you know, everybody talks about it being easy, even some people in the hunting community that thinks it's not fair chase. But when you consider the work that goes into developing a hound, and that could start three generations back by you know, a breeding that you made, and then you raise those pups up generation after generation and see them come about, I mean.
Speaker 11: That's really rewarding.
Speaker 12: The other thing is is it is hunting with hounds is really the original fair chase method for hunting. With hunting when we have a bear treat or a lion treed. Uh, and even to some extents, you know the old bandido like you like to call them. Yeah, you can be pretty selective on whether you're taking a boar or sow of a tom lion or a female lion, just because you've got that opportunity. You're under the tree and you've got that opportunity to really look that animal over and make a really good decision. And I mean I've glass bears and lions and stuff across big canyons.
Speaker 11: It's tough. It's a lot tougher to.
Speaker 12: Be able to do that, and when I'm hunting with a hound, it really cuts that down a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the it's the original catch and release method for sure, you bet, Chris. We're going to be watching for the National Houndsman Alliance and any kind of news coming up. Man, keep me up to speed on that and I'll be sharing. Get it out to everybody. It's important. It's an important cause. And you're a good guy. And I know the folks that you're dealing with up they're good folks too, and I want to help you and we do too.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, I appreciate it. And you know, the main thing is we're just gonna need everybody on board. We've got to we've got to finally realize that the anti hunting public and the people that are trying to take our freedoms away are not gonna un rest, gonna rest until they get it all and right now, Houndsman are the ones that are under the most attack. So we need we need all hands on deck. If I don't care if you like hanging in a tree saddle, setting a trap, or you know, fly fishing in the back.
Speaker 11: Pond on the One Minute Fishing Show.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I appreciate it, man, Thank you Chris, and we'll be talking to you buddy.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thanks Chris, talk you let.
Speaker 1: Mister Phail, Yes, sir, what we get. We got a few comments here. First, we have one from a from an Alexis Reeves, Hey from the Arkansas State Capital. Love you, Brent Reeves.
Speaker 4: That's my boss.
Speaker 2: That is the newly appointed Director of Public Affairs for the Commissioner of State Lands in the state dark.
Speaker 1: And oh cool, congrats Alexis.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 4: That's my gale.
Speaker 1: Back to the worst days of fishing from Nick worst day I've ever seen. Guy fell off the pier fishing for walleye November, filled his full suit, his suitful, his waiters full of water, and seconds came back up half a minute later and his birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. That's a rough time to fall in the water November.
Speaker 2: Yeah for real. But you can buy more clothes if.
Speaker 1: You're Yeah, that's right. There was some some debate happening in the comments for this one. What's everyone's favorite freshwater fish to eat? That's from Tyler Ramsey.
Speaker 4: Oh, Tyler, my no, doubt is blue gill.
Speaker 5: Brim, yellow perch walleye great.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, we had we had Garrison saying referring to you, Brandy seems to recall you saying on this Country Life that it hurt him to use bluegill to catch flathead since he likes bluegill better.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you it was Uh. I was a it was a dichotomy of sorts there. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. And I told the guys fishing with I said, Keith, this seems to be sacrilegious to bait something that tastes wonderful to catch something that tastes good.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I was struggled with that.
Speaker 1: That Carter is asking, Brent, if you have any tips for fishing invasive black carp on the Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, you know I haven't fished on the Mississippi River. That is It's huge. It's a goal of mine and my brothers. I'm actually getting a boat. It's gonna be big enough to get out there and do some do some fishing. But man, I am totally ignorant of those those carp and how to how to deal with them. They're they're hadn't got a whole lot where we fish out. We see them some, but we hadn't been dealing with them very much. And my brother and I have only been fishing on the Arkansas River commercially. We've been on the Arkansas River hunting forever, but actually commercial fishing, we haven't just within the last six months. So man, I don't know, contact though, whoever, your Department of Wildlife, and because they're gonna, I promise you they got a plan to try to get rid of those things because they are absolutely amendis.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Noah says, my family bought about twenty five acres in Indiana. They're a few decent prospects. He's never hunted anything larger than a rabbit. Would my hand be down, Marlon? Thirty thirty be fine? Or should I get a new gun?
Speaker 4: They're thirty thirty is to kill more deer.
Speaker 5: Than c Yeah, for deer on twenty five acres, that's more than enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thirty thirty fine.
Speaker 5: Site that sucker in and go hunt.
Speaker 4: Go get him.
Speaker 1: Great, And let's see is this more for Brody and Seth and also Spencer and Steve. But Eric's asking if medy to raid, I will be providing or discussing regional ret reports or deer reports in the upcoming months. I don't know if Brodie or Seth, I know I don't have some stuff.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, we'll be given updates as the hunting season goes on. Spencer would be the guy to asked you about like regionally specific rut reports. I'm sure that like the White Tail guys for.
Speaker 1: Sure will be doing something in that or Yeah, the Element guys are starting up our seasonal ret Fresh radio podcast soon. So yeah, actually I think it might have dropped yesterday. I think the first step was episode of the season, So if you want to check that out. They do a bunch of regional stuff.
Speaker 3: And I will say.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Tigers fan sixty eight eighty four says that he wishes he could make the tailgate nann Arbor to check Randall's Hubris.
Speaker 5: Listen, look under Randall's shirt. He might be wearing some kind of Ohio state jersey.
Speaker 4: Oh Randall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if anyone's listening to this meat eater, will We'll be in ann Arbor for the game this weekend. Uh, We're gonna have a booth there. People got Randall and Spencer there cook and chili. Come say hi. Karen and I will also be there. We'll be recording some trivia at the crack of dawn, So if you're an early early birding, come come watch us time local time.
Speaker 2: There nine.
Speaker 3: That sounds fun.
Speaker 4: That's good. That's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 1: Gray, Well, Brent, that's that's the show.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank everybody. Thank you all for being Brodie, said Corrin Field. Tesa and Corey the cameraman out there for TREESA, thank you buddy. Thank y'all for watching and listening. Next week, you're gonna have a whole lot better looking host. You just look forward to that. Thank you, y'all. Be careful.