Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: A couple of things with NCAA bids Omaha, Omaha's in Lipscom and high Point, and we will play the geography game coming up here. If there is a team that does qualify during the show, let me know, PAULI break into programming. There a few other teams in there as well that qualified.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Drake's in of course, I like Drake. Drake.
Speaker 2: Drake's had a bad year, but not that Drake, right, Yeah, Drake the school, Yeah, Drake the school and SIU Edwardsville. Dan is in Edwardsville.
Speaker 3: That's done in Ohio Valley. That's your region.
Speaker 2: Mmmh.
Speaker 3: He played ball, m.
Speaker 2: Okay lebron injures his groin, his own and the Cabs who won fourteen in a row. The football news over the weekend, we will explore a little deeper. Judy Bautista, an NFL insider for NFL Network. Great appearance, last time. She'll join us coming up here in about fifteen minutes from now. Miles Garrett staying with Cleveland. The Raiders go out and get Geno Smith. Josh Allen got a contract extension, Steelers got dk metcap DeVante Adams goes to the Rams. This is similar to opening Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve. That's what yesterday was. This weekend was like today is Christmas. This is when the news is supposed to break. Noon Eastern is when they can kind of make this all official. We got Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day. Hey, I'm not complaining. There's some big news, big news items yesterday, the Miles Garrett staying with Cleveland, Geno Smith going to the Raiders, and I think we're looking at all these scenarios and you go, why we knew DK Metcalf wanted out, but you're going to go to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh doesn't even know who their quarterback is, or they might know, we don't know yet. And we brought this up a couple of weeks ago, Aaron Rodgers to the Steelers that possibility. It's at least in the exploratory stage from what I'm told that they haven't ruled it out. And then I saw where what's Russell Wilson going to do? What's Justin Field's going to do? And then I saw a report maybe Justin Fields to the Jets hasn't this young man suffered enough they shouldn't do that to him. But you might be the starting quarterback. It's wild. It's like Seattle. They said, yeah, we'll trade Geno Smith. Okay, Well, Seattle must know what they're doing. If they just traded Geno Smith and they've gotten rid of Tyler Lockett or they're going to lose him and then DK Metcalf as well. And this is a team that won ten games last year and you're going to trade Gino too, Pete Carroll and the Raiders. And does that preclude them from maybe going after Shador Sanders. Now I was told it wouldn't that they could still see them drafting a court. Now, are you going to draft a quarterback in the top ten? That's a little bit different if you're going to go out and get Geno Smith. But Tom Brady's influence has already had an impact there. Josh Allen gets an extension, and if this helps them with salary cap relief, pushes the contract down the road, you're eventually going to have to pay him again. Do you get ahead of the market, which you know there's some teams that do and some teams that don't. Dallas Cowboys don't and it costs them all the time. It's going to cost them with Michael Parsons. And Michael Parsons probably had a I'm going to guess a celebration yesterday. I would have because all of a sudden, he looks at what Miles Garrett got to stay in Cleveland, and Michael Parsons is going to be asking for something that begins with a four and not a three. Jamar Chase probably had a really good day yesterday as well. He didn't do anything, but the Browns have said they're going to make him the highest paid non quarterback. Why they said this, I don't know why they have not done this, I don't know. But it's going to cost you. If the guy is great, then pay him. That's it. Okay, there's a band aid and it might hurt a little bit, but boy down the road, I'd rather have a band aid than need stitches. And that's what's happening with the Cincinnati Bengals and the Dallas Cowboys. Is Jamar Chase as much of a sure thing in the NFL and the entries? Yes, this is exactly what you wanted out of a player that you drafted that high to be great. Now pay him pay that to me on his money. And then with Michael Parsons, pay him. Remember when TJ. Watt getting thirty million, We're like, man, what is going on in the NFL that it seems like the old days? It wasn't that long ago. And then Miles Garrett, Okay, I know a little more about this than I'm allowed to talk about. But Miles Garrett, you know, talking about staying in Cleveland. Uh didn't want to stay in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: He had.
Speaker 2: Now let's go back to when he had his statement during the Super Bowl. As a kid dreaming of the NFL, all I focused on was the ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl. And my goal fuels me today more than ever. I've loved calling this city my home. My desire to win and compete on the biggest stages won't allow me to be complacent. The goal was never to go from Cleveland to Canton. It's always been to compete and win a Super Bowl. With that in mind, I've requested to be traded from the Cleveland Browns. O WHOA, Okay this and once again I got to be careful in what I'm going to tell you. That spent twenty minutes with somebody yesterday and because I was like, boy, that was a big turnaround. Well, Cleveland wasn't fielding trade offers or they didn't get blown away by anybody. And I think what happened is Miles Garrett's representatives probably said, hey, they're not going to trade you. I mean, you can't be the GM who signs Deshaun Watson and then trades away Miles Garrett. Like that's not good on your resume. I think Cleveland was pretty steadfast. They were not going to trade him. They said they weren't going to trade him, and we thought, well, they have to trade him. I think what happened is it was basically, okay, what can we pay you so you want to stay here? And it got to forty million dollars. I think that's really what's happening here. Miles Garrett wanted to go someplace out they didn't get blown away by a deal, and then therefore he had to basically say, Okay, I'm going to stay, but what are you going to pay me? Because I think he also said, hey, this isn't about being the highest paid player in the league, which I didn't buy even if he went to someplace else. But I think that's what happened in Cleveland. I once again, I got to be careful in what I'm saying, because I got information yesterday that there's more to the story that I'm not allowed to tell you about. I have to wait and let the process kind of play out here.
Speaker 5: Yes, poone, but the common reaction is what changed for Miles Garrett because they didn't add some star players in the past two months to bolster that team and make them more competitive.
Speaker 3: They're still the Browns, so well.
Speaker 2: He couldn't do anything about it, right like he I don't think he wanted to stay there. I think that they gave him an offer that will satisfy him, and they were, you know, adamant, they weren't going to trade him. I don't know if he goes yeah, you know, But on second though, I think we can win at all. I think we can be competitive. I think he's just being honest that I did want to go. I can't go. I'm staying now, you know, make me the highest paid non quarterback in the league. So he can say face as well, you know, because we'll eventually move on from this, you know. Right now, It's like, oh, yeah, great, you said you were gonna you wanted to be with a contender, somebody could compete for Super Bowl. Cleveland's roster hasn't really changed that much. That's what I was told that Miles did want to leave, They were not going to trade him. They were not blown away. And then I think both parties, how do we make this work moving forward? And that's how he ended up at forty million dollars. But Gino Smith's situation, I like it for the Raiders because now you have somebody who can play quarterback and you're in a division that is the most competitive division in football. Now you've got to at least every Sunday know that your quarterback gives you a chance. And maybe Geno Smith is a B level quarterback, but that's okay. You got Rock Bowers, you got Max Crosby, you got a chance in the draft to get somebody. I'm told that they're going to get Ashton Genty. I was told that yesterday. Now once again I can tell you things that are you know what are we five weeks out from the draft, a month out from the draft. Things will change. But I'm trying to understand the philosophy of I don't know what Seattle's doing because that's a clearance sale and are you going to go get Sam Darnald So you get a younger quarterback, doesn't mean he's a better quarterback. In fact, I would probably still I would take Geno Smith over Sam Donald, especially the way Seattle plays. You know, it's a ball control, grinded out, makes you know a couple of plays, and Gino has played well, But the Raiders got a quarterback that they can count on and they haven't had that for a little while. As for Seattle, I'm not sure if is this a rebuild or reload. That front office has always been great. They find talent and that's a division you can win. That's what surprised me. They could have just stayed with what they had there. Now DK Metcalf, I've said before he should be a whole lot better. Every time I see him, I see des Bryant without the resume, and maybe this helps him. But I can't imagine George Pickens and DK Metcalf being happy with, Hey, you got four targets today. How about our running game? Like now, if you get Aaron Rodgers, okay, then I could see where that would be a little more interesting. I think the Rams had an unbelievable because you're going to get Cooper Cup's salary off the books and you bring in Davante Adams, And I always want to know how far out do you think the Rams go? You know, we're going to get rid of Cooper Cup. Who can we get Now you start going, okay, what are the Jets going to do with Davante? But that's when you make a phone call. These things don't happen in the span of you know, six hours, twelve hours. I know there's the legal tampering, which I still find amazing that it's like jumbo shrimp. Wait, doesn't make sense, legal tampering. Why do we even call it legal tampering? But Davante Adams going there, Matthew Stafford's got to be thrilled. Soy, you got Davante Adams and pukin Nakua, you got a good running game, you got our young defense. You know, you get Matthew Stafford back. They the Rams are in great shape, great shape, But there's teams that didn't do anything. What are the Giants doing? What are the giants doing? Are you going all in to get Cam Warre because is Justin Fields gonna be Plan B?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Or is Justin Fields going to the Jet? What are the Jets doing?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Is Russell Wilson involved in this? And the Steelers? I'm guessing you got like you have two quarterbacks, but you don't feel like you have one quarterback You've got you just traded for g Like, if i'm dk Metcal, the first thing I say is, well, who's going to be quarterback? Hey, I'm glad you're gonna give me one hundred and fifty million dollars, But who's going to be the quarterback here? That's the big question there. And can Aaron Rodgers fit in with the Steelers if that would happen? Kind of wild, kind of wild, yes, Don.
Speaker 6: And you're still hearing that buzz even up in TI this weekend. Giants vikings for Aaron Rodgers, it's all over the place right now with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought that the vikings basically said that JJ McCarthy will be our starting quarterback, and then I saw a where well, he's coming back from a devastating injury. He might not be ready to go. And that's why you reach out to Aaron Rodgers. I'm not quite sure. But if I'm JJ McCarthy, I probably think I'm going to be the starter. But if you're Aaron Rodgers, in his mind, he's still a starter. May not be reality, but it may be. Hey, you want to be the starting quarterback for the Giants for one year thirty million dollars or take your chances elsewhere? Yeah, pull.
Speaker 5: It's almost like the Vikings were too competitive last year to start developing a quarterback. They were surprisingly competitive because of Donald. They may move on from Darnald, but now they have to replace him with a guy who can help.
Speaker 3: Them win the division. Now it's a weird place to be.
Speaker 5: If they were under five hundred last year, they finished under five hundred, move on to JJ McCarthy, Colmley.
Speaker 3: But it's like they're weirdly competitive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, Ton, and social media's been having fun with the far of comparison. You play for the Packers or go to the Jets and the Vikings.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, you say you can't do it, but he can do it. Yeah, he didn't care.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 7: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 8: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 7: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And.
Speaker 8: If you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: And of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Dylan is in for Seaton today. He'll handle the pole question duties. How about our one pole question?
Speaker 9: All right, Dan our one poll? Who had the best weekend? Excluding Josh Allen okay, Gina Smith, Miles Garrett, DK metcalf A, DeVante Adams okay?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say Miles Garrett because of what he's getting paid, but he still has to get paid playing for the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul DeVante Adams at this juncture, his career goes to a competitive team, big market and a drop back timing quarterback that's perfect for him.
Speaker 2: Judy Batista, senior national columnist, co host of The Insiders on NFL Network. Let me start there, Judy, who had the best weekend?
Speaker 10: I would say Devonte Adams as well. He got I think more than many people thought he was going to get. He's with a team very much on the rise. I mean they are way ahead of schedule. He gets to stay in California, where he's from. I think he had the best weekend because, as you put it perfectly, Miles Garrett just for the cash alone, but he's staying with a team that we now know he didn't want to be with just a few days ago.
Speaker 2: Why didn't Cleveland get an offer that could at least have them budge off this stance of we're not going to trade Miles Scarett.
Speaker 10: I don't think they ever even entertained the idea of trading Miles Garrett Listen. So much has gone wrong for that team. Obviously. The Deshaun Watson deal was just a ca astrophe that you can't trade your best player. I mean, he's not just their best player, this is a Hall of Fame caliber player. He's arguably the best defensive player in the league every year. You just can't trade that guy. And if you're going to give your fans anything to hang on to, you can't trade that guy. So unless they were somebody came to them with, you know, we'll give you four number ones, which I don't think anybody was doing. Like, they just couldn't entertain anything. And if we take them at their word, and I think we can, because they were saying the same things to teams that they were saying to reporters, they were never trading him.
Speaker 2: Is it irresponsible though of them that yes, this guy is going you know Cleveland to Canton, but maybe there's a stop in between with Detroit or Washington or whoever. Maybe somebody overpays to make you a bet. If I'm Cleveland Browns fan, it's nice that I'm going to see him in uniform, But are we any better by having him in uniform instead of trying to get something else to kind of restart this franchise.
Speaker 10: I saw a lot of that online yesterday when the deal happened, a lot of fans saying like, shouldn't we have gotten the fall of draft picks. Draft picks are gambles, right, you don't know how they're going to pan out. You do know what this guy is going to do, right, He's going to sack the quarterback fifteen times a season. At least he is going to give you a chance to win. I think part of what kept him in Cleveland, aside from the obvious the pile of money, is they sold to him on the idea that they have a plan to be back. Right, they were in the playoffs only a couple of years ago, Like, we're not you know, the roster is not completely barren. This is what we're going to do at quarterback, And I think as those things come to light, maybe the decision will make a little bit more sense. I think he read the tea leaves, and his representatives read the tea leaves that they were never going to trade him. I mean, Jimmy Haslam wouldn't even meet with him, and basically said, like, you know, go deal with Andrew Berry. Don't try to come appealing to me for a trade. Go go talk to Andrew Berry. Uh. And I think they, you know, they came to the conclusion like, you're not getting traded unless you are willing to hold out and sacrifice, you know, a year's worth of salary, because that's the only alternative. You need to come to grips with the fact that you're not getting traded, So make the best deal you can and try to figure out how you can be happy here.
Speaker 2: What are the Seahawks doing, That's a good question.
Speaker 10: It's hard. It's hard to really question John Schneider because he's very, very good, you know, but certainly this is a reset, at the very least, moving Gino Smith. You know, I always got the impression that maybe John Schneider, he was always less committal about Geno Smith, then maybe the coaches were Mike McDonald was at the combine only you know what was that two weeks ago saying like, we love Geno Smith, He's definitely our quarterback. But I always thought John Schneider was a little bit more reserved, and it's I think it's a good move for Gino Smith. I think it's a fairly decent move for the Seahawks, presuming that they already know who their next quarterback is going to be. And it's hard for me to imagine that a GM as good as John Schneider with Trader starting quarterback without having a very very strong idea of who the next guy is. So I assume that that domino will fall as soon as the window opens today.
Speaker 2: For Negotia, Yeah, I rarely question what the front office does in Seattle. They're they're very buttoned up, they're very smart. Yes, you know, if you're getting Sam donold. Look, Gino is an older, a little above average quarterback. It gives you a little more stability with the rate is competing in the AFC West, but the NFC West is winnable. You won ten games, you know, you went toe to toe with the Rams. The Niners are going to come back a little bit. But that's what was surprising is you let your receivers go and it just felt like a tag sale. And I don't know, you know what that big grand plant? Is Sam Donald going to be the answer? They're that sure that Sam Donald is their guy?
Speaker 10: Right? I think they also want a running game, like I think they just want to retool. Right, this is now a second year head coach who is now going to instead of working with what was in place, is going to start putting what he wants in place, right, the kind of system he wants. I generally agree with the idea that there's it's a much greater chance that you're going to get worse at quarterback. Look, you already know what Gino Smith is. Are you very very sure that Sam Donald is going to repeat the kind of success with your program that he had in an almost perfect situation with the Vikings right where he had just all world weapons, great coaching, he was protected. Well, so you got to be really sure that that's going to translate. We'll see. But again I hesitate to question John Schneider because they usually make the right motes at Seattle.
Speaker 2: Who's going to be the quarterback of the Giants?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know the answer. For a while, I thought all the pieces were lining up that it was going to be Aaron Rodgers. I'm still very curious to see what Aaron Rodgers market would be. The fact that you know, nothing has been completed with Aaron Rodgers makes you pause, and you know, as we know from Rogers in the past, like he's he's deliberate, right, He's going to think about his options and explore his options, and he's not going to be hasty. He certainly doesn't want to make a bad decision here. But you know, if if that falls through, what's the fallback plan for the Giants? You know, I don't know, you know, would they be in on Sam Donald? That's a different kind of thing, you know, Russell Wilson, that's a different kind of thing. I mean, you know, when the Aaron Rodgers thing started first bubbling up about the Giants connected to the Giants, I think a lot of Giants fans I live in New York, a lot of Giants fans walking for this is great, no way, come on. But when you slow down and think about it, like there are not a ton of great options like for that kind of job, right now, like the veteran guy who's just the bridge guy. We're not talking about a veteran guy like Sam Donald that you're going to have for the next ten years. We're talking about a bridge to the next guy that presumably they're going to try to draft this year. It's just there's not that many of them, and Aaron Rodgers is the best of the bunch, right. I mean, you would rather have Aaron Rodgers than Russell Wilson at this point, or Jamus way Stint or you know, Jimmy Garoppolo, like you know who else is out there. So we'll see. I am curious to see what the rest of the market would look like for Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 2: Judy Batista joining us on loan from NFL Network, co host of The Insiders. What are the Steelers doing?
Speaker 10: The Steelers are loading up. I think the way last season ended for the Steelers, where it was just clear they didn't have enough firepower, enough offensive firepower to stay with the top teams in the AFC that you know that the offense really said at the end. I think they are going to fix that. Don't forget they spent all of last year trying to get a big time wide receiver.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 10: They were in on Brandon Ayuk, they were in on Defante Adams, they got Mike Williams. That didn't you know, okay, whatever, So this was like the long quest for a receiver finally finally coming to an end and they get DK Metcalf. To me, the interesting thing is are they keeping George Pickens too, because then you have pick and and DK Metcalf, which is pretty appealing for a quarterback, whoever the quarterback is. To me, it's amazing that they made the deal for the star wide receiver without having any quarterback under contract.
Speaker 2: I know, sort of the reverse, but it's.
Speaker 10: Quite a good selling point if you have to sell yourself on a quarterback. I mean, for instance, if I am a veteran quarterback with options and the Steelers are interested in maybe that's a pretty I mean, I know the weather is tough and it's an extremely difficult division, but those are some pretty good weapons you'd be throwing it through.
Speaker 2: We tend to talk about this. It feels like on a yearly basis, there's certain teams that are proactive. They're going to extend their star players. They get ahead of the curve the financial curve. Here we are with Dallas and Michael Parsons, and here we are with Jamar Chase. The Bengals could have signed Jamar Chase a while ago, it feels like and Dallas could have done the same thing. I mean, you'd be saved. It's only going up. The longer you wait, the more it's going to cost you. So I'm just trying to understand the financial responsibility sensibility with both of these programs. These franchises of they're great, pay them, don't wait to pay them.
Speaker 10: I don't know, I don't know why they wait, but I mean this last weekend we've seen the stark like what happens when you wait? They they waited, and now they are Both teams are going to have to pay many, many millions of dollars more, Which is great for the players, Michael Carson, good for Jamar Chase. They deserve they've earned it, go get it. But if you're the team that's trying to move around the dollars, I mean, you have really put yourself in a terrible spot. The Bangals did it to them twice. First of all, they should have done Jamar Chase last year. They were close. I believe they got hung up on guaranteed money, which now you're like, ah, I mean the market jumped so significantly, right. The Max Crosby deal made him the highest paid non quarterback, you know, by a little bit. Now the Miles Garrett makes them by a lot. And the Bengals have said publicly that they're going to make Jamar Chase the highest paid non quarterbacks, so I mean they've got no wiggle room, and now that's going to be much more expensive. Same thing for Trey Hendrickson if they have any thoughts of being able to keep him. Well, the market for pass rushers just took that big leap too with Miles Garrett, so that's double trouble for them. And then of course the Michael Carson's thing, which is, again, why why do these teams wait? I don't know, but they're going to pay much much more than they would have if they had just been proactive and gotten it done early. You always, if you're the team, you want to be the first, right if you're the player, you want to be the last, because you want to top the market. From the team point.
Speaker 2: Of view, this was not good and I like what Buffalo did. They were proactive. This kind of came out of nowhere with Josh Allen getting a new deal. But it gives them flexibility, yes, right.
Speaker 10: And you don't have to you don't have to say about this and there's no The other thing about waiting is it creates tension with the player, right, like, which you should not want to do. If again, the Bengals know they're keeping Jamar Chase right, he is a superstar, he's your guy, He's Joe Burrows guy. You can't let him out of the building. Why would you ever want to create tens with a player like that. So in the case of Buffalo, I mean, obviously Josh Allen is a stud, right, the MVP. Where would that franchise be without him? Yeah, they were proactive. Let's make him happy, keep him happy, like anything, anything to make him happy.
Speaker 2: And it's like the Bengals are paying their taxes late. The Cowboys pay their taxes late. They're not. And once again, they have to be pretty smart to get in the position to be able to be an owner of a team. But there are times when I just with Jerry Jones, he did this with dak overpaid for dank Ce d Lamb. Now you can look at Ceedee Lamb and say, all right, they got a better deal with the you know, wide receiving market. But Michael Parsons, you know, he's great, Pay him, pay him, and because down the road these other guys are going to get paid as well.
Speaker 10: But well, and the other thing, if I could just add this, the other thing is when they when you wait, and it stretches throughout the off season, as we saw happen with Dallas last year. Like the players admitted it was a distraction, right like when you go down to literally opening day for Dak Bruscott, right hours before kickoff of the season. I mean they admitted it was on their minds. And that's that's the last thing you want for a team that's you know, considers themselves in the mix.
Speaker 2: Now they're all in, and that's what they are. The Cowboys are all in. Great to busy with you again, Thank you very much.
Speaker 10: Great to see you, Dan.
Speaker 2: Thanks, that's Judy Btista.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Todd is here, Paul, He's here, Marvin's here, and a guest, Danett, It's Dylan the graphics guy. Are gambler from Dan Patrick takes a gamble. He's in the chair. Seating is out today and tomorrow. Dylan will handle the poll responsibilities, the pole question responsibilities and anything that you would like to add from the first hour poll question. And what are you going to go with an hour two?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Dan? Well, for our one we had who had the best weekend? Gino Smith has zero votes?
Speaker 2: He didn't get one vote from going to the Raiders. Huh not one? Okay, then vote.
Speaker 9: I guess people aren't that high in the Raiders either.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 9: But for hour two, kind of going off the Miles Garrett topic, true or false? Miles Garrett is only interested in getting the bag, not a ring.
Speaker 2: This is Ala Todd. I can't do it where it's one or the other. Like is he interested? Yes, he's interested in the money. But do I think that he wanted to go elsewhere? I do. I just don't think that they got offers. Maybe they didn't even entertain offers. So he has to save face now take care of me. I guess i'll they had once again, they had to give Deshaun Watson a deal that he couldn't refuse. He ruled out the Cleveland Browns. I think he wanted to go to Atlanta, but he ruled them out, and then they said, what if we give you two hundred and thirty million dollars guaranteed? All of a sudden, he wants to go to the Cleveland Browns. Miles Garrett is going to go from Cleveland to Canton to the Hall of Fame. Do I think that he wanted to play meaningful games? Yes? I do. Now you go back, but this is you weren't a good team last year with him. I think that they should have still. Now you don't want to give him away, but you have to be open, and I just think that that's it's being irresponsible as a GM to not to at least listen. Now you might say, no, we told him we weren't trading him. That's how much he means to us. Okay, you don't mean as much to him as he means to you because he wanted to leave. But I get that that you're going to be loyal. We can't. You don't want to be the GM who signed to Shan Watson and traded Miles Garrett. I understand that, but you'll owe it to your franchise, your fan base to at least explore. And the teams that are going to be interested in trading for him. Could be Philadelphia, could have been Washington, could be Detroit. These are all good teams. They may give you three first round picks. I think they were looking maybe for four. Were you're going to get a herschel Walker deal. I don't think so. So now what do you do? You got Miles Garrett? Great? Now what Nick Chubb's not going to be there? Who's your quarterback? Jamis Winston wide receiver?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you have here? I mean, is that your tune in factor?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 2: We got Miles Garrett? Okay, you guys got dominated last year. The defense got dominated. Okay, he's going to give you fifteen sacks? Great? Now what happens on all the other plays and when the offense is on the field, it just you're gonna get out from underneath the Sean Watson's contract. Now, you just spend forty million dollars on a defensive player. You need help. I just think it's irresponsible for the Browns to put out a statement that says we're not trading him and then not Field calls. What happens if somebody says we'll give you and then you go oh, Like there could be one of those moments there. You could even say to Miles Garrett, hey, we tried. We just didn't get an offer that we thought was commensurate to your talent. You're going to be a Hall of Famer. We would hate to give you up, but only if it helps our franchise moving, you know, in the next decade, like in the right direction. And they didn't get that opportunity. A lot of times we overestimate what somebody's going to bring in return. Where you go, oh, they traded this guy and they got a fifth round draft pick. Wow, well they gave up that guy. They got a fourth round draft pick in twenty twenty eight, Like you just a lot of it is take them. They cost too much money and we want something in return. And I think that's what happens a lot of times. DeVante Adams going to the Rams, I think is a great move. Great move Seattle. I don't know what they're doing, but I'll give that front office the benefit of the doubt. They make good decisions. Do I want Gino Smith? No? But will I take him over the other quarterbacks that I have. Yes, he is an older quarterback, above average quarterback, but he gives us a little more stability. Are they still going to draft a quarterback? Are they going to draft Ashton Genty? That's what I was told over the weekend. And is this a Tom Brady call? Like? How much did Pete Carroll weigh in with Tom? I'm going to guess a lot to say, let's bring in Geno. I can bring out the best in him. And if you're Tom, you probably are going we got to find a franchise quarterback here like this, This is basically a two year situation for us and also the coaches that have to win now. Now. Pete Carroll, at his age, wants to win now. Now he's joining a team that's not very good. I don't know if he looks at this and says, let's develop a quarterback over the next couple of years. I mean, Pete is the oldest coach in the NFL. You also have the Giants situation. Do you want to bring in a rookie quarterback for a coaching staff that may not make it to the second half of the season. Do you want to bring in Aaron Rodgers, who does make you better, but only makes you better for a year, and that doesn't solve anything. I'd rather grow with this, and we might not be a competitive team. Maybe we have a good draft pick next year. Aaron Rodgers can come in and all of a sudden, it's, you know, like putting ear rings on a pig. All right, still a pig. That's the situation here with the Giants, the Jets, what are they doing? What's their quarterbacking situation? The Steelers. You start to look at these teams and you go, okay, there's only so many quarterbacks to go around here, you know. Do the Jets go well, I don't know. Let's take Justin Fields? Okay, what did the Giants do? You're going all in on cam Ward? Okay, good luck. What's Pittsburgh doing? You don't have a quarterback under contract? But he just brought in DK Metcalf Seattle Sam Donald? Like, what's plan B if you don't get Sam Darnald? What if the Colts say, you know what, we'd like to go after Sam Donald. We admit we made a mistake on Anthony Richardson. You got a team that can win and can win ten games? Now, do I think Sam Darnald is great? No? Do I think he played great? Yes? At times he did. The question would be what's he costing me? Sam Donald? Sixty million dollars? No, Sam Donald forty five million? Okay, I can have a conversation here. But he's still under thirty? Is he still twenty seven? He's been twenty seven for about four years? Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I think he turned twenty eight. Oh, it's always I think he turns twenty nine in July. But well, Sam Darnold, he's twenty seven? Oh?
Speaker 1: Is he?
Speaker 2: Is he gonna be twenty eight?
Speaker 1: Paul?
Speaker 3: Twenty eight in July. He's been twenty seven for eighteen months?
Speaker 2: How is it? That's unbelievable. Yeah. So you have these moves here and then all of a sudden it gets official here coming up at noon Eastern of who's going where? And then how's that set up for the draft? But yesterday was crazy the NFL over the weekend. Those are some big time moves. You got Josh Allen signing his contract extension. Metcalf goes to the Steeler, Tavante to the Rams, Miles Garrett staying, Gino Smith goes to the rate. That's wild. See you got a twenty four hour span where all of a sudden, they go, let's see if we dominated the headlines a little while. No, we haven't, Commissioner, all right, we will today, Ben eight seven seven three DP Show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter, Hindle at DP show. So we got our poll question, we'll give you our pasting work. So the weekend, Lebron got injured and I'm playing against the Celtics and Paulie. When we came in today, Pauli goes, Lebron's injured groin is a good thing. I said, Okay, save it. I said, don't even tell me what you're thinking until the show, so I can react in real time. Here you go, Paulie, Lebron's groin injury is good for Lebron? Question Martin.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, this is the perfect timing for a guy like Lebron, who's forty, who plays a lot. He plays a lot in games, and he plays a lot of games. He's not a load management guy like his other guy are. He's gonna get a nice six game break here right before the playoffs. The other guys can get it together. No one's going to accuse him of sitting out. It's a real groin injury. I think he had like a spring knee or something the year of the bubble and he missed like six or seven games and April or late March.
Speaker 3: If he can get a week.
Speaker 5: And a half off, it's almost you know, I know, a groin injury can nag, but I think actually this is a benefit for the Lakers. Lebron gets a week off without any questions about why he's taking the week off. Luca could take over for a little bit, the other backup players can get a little more run. You go into the playoffs with at worst, probably the fourth seed. It's a good injury. Weirdly, can you take that take? Okay, you're not buying it. I love it, Well, I don't want it, but I like the byproduct of it.
Speaker 2: I guess the thing that would concern me is the type of injury that it is. Those things tend to stay. It's like a sprained ankle. They tend to stay, they linger a little bit. That'd be the only thing that if you said, hey, Lebron's going to get some rest here, how's this effect you're seating That's really important? But also getting on a roll with Luca and I know you don't want to peak too soon, and it felt like, boy, this team is now championship caliber, which I do think they are, but I think they are when they play defense. I know it's a caveat an asterisk, but I have to put that in there healthy playing defense and defense comes down to do you want to play defense? They are all athletes, great athletes. Do you want to play defense? Can JJ get them to play defense? And if he can with the firepower, then they're going to be a tough out. They can compete for a championship. But I think getting on that role, getting comfortable with the roles that you have, new roles that you have for some of these players. You know that to me can be that you know, we lost the opportunity when Lebron got hurt, that can we improve? What's our matchup going to be in the playoffs? Who fits us better than some of these other teams? You might have a dangerous team at seven or eight that you run into that you can avoid.
Speaker 11: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I disagree completely. I think this is terrible for them because if they go into six games, they're easily in the playing There are only four games out of the playing tournament, so if Lebron's not there and they lose five out of six, they could be where the Timberwolves are. And so now they got to play in the playing just to get into the regular playoffs. So hopefully Luca and those guys can, you know, try to at least stay above above water.
Speaker 2: I like that, good take, bad take from the front row.
Speaker 6: Yes, Ton, That's what I was wondering too. Is that enough time that would throw up chemistry? I know he just got to the team recently, but a week or two could that it could become a problem for them and it will take a while for them to get back into the group to get a Lebron and.
Speaker 2: Luca, I don't know, they seemed to be doing pretty good job. You know. It came back to Lebron makes he makes this work. Luca is not changing who he is. Lebron can change who he is in accordance to what the team needs. But you got to play defense. The best performance over the weekend was Nikola Jokicic thirty one, twenty one, twenty two, and he did it on a Friday night to win against the Suns. And you know, he's not bothered by it. Van Pelt interviewed him and basically this never happened in the history of the NBA, and he's like, yeah, well, I'm just glad we won the first thirty twenty twenty in NBA history. With ten minutes to go in the third quarter, Joker had already recorded a triple double. From that point on, he had eighteen, eleven and twelve, so he had two triple doubles in the same game. He had a triple double in a quarter and a half.
Speaker 4: Stead of a day, start of a day, start of a day.
Speaker 9: Scout out a day.
Speaker 8: This is the stele of the day?
Speaker 2: Is that a double triple double?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is that the term?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know. But he had two triple doubles in the same game, so it's a double triple double. Is that what you get at Wendy's Oh ah, the double triple double?
Speaker 3: Please special Meal?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 3: And he's still not going to win mv No.
Speaker 2: He's not. He's not. SGA had forty, so he's had at least forty in three straight games, and uh, yeah, I mean he's going to win it. He's not the most Valuable Player. He's not the best player, but it's his time, his turn. That's it. Because you know, Jokers having a better year than he had in his previous MVP years and probably means more to his team than SGA does to Oklahoma City. But I've been around long enough to know that. You know, I saw Hi when Carl Malone won and when Charles Barkley won, and you could not convince me they were better than Michael Jordan, are more valuable, but it was their turn, it was their time, and that's SGA. And I do think that there's a ground swell with the analyst former players who won SGA to win for whatever reason. You know, Oklahoma City is having a great year. Well, has anybody brought up Donovan Mitchell is an MVP candidate? No, yeah, why not?
Speaker 11: Because he's probably averaging twenty two a game and SGA is averaging thirty thirty one. I think if Donovan Mitchell was the far and away leader, because they the Cavaliers seem like very equal, they seem like very balanced. They're a very balanced team. Where this guy's averaging twenty, this guy's averaging twenty one, this guy's averaging seventeen, So there's not just one standalone player on the Cavs.
Speaker 3: But we're talking about value.
Speaker 2: I know Donovan Mitchell, it's just because the Cavaliers don't get clicks. Nobody talks about him. Even now, it's like rudgingly. They've won fourteen in a row. You know what they've done. This start is historical. How many teams have had this winning percentage this deep into the season.
Speaker 11: Yes, Ma, they feel like the Hawks maybe about ten or twelve years ago when they won sixty games and they have four All Stars. I think I think Lebron just swept them out of the playoffs really fast after that. But they seem like a team that was very balanced, and they had a bunch of guys averaging around sixteen to eighteen, but no one took took their series. They did because they'd have a super duper star.
Speaker 5: Yes, Pom, Yeah, Donovan Mitchell was probably more famous in Utah when he's averaging twenty seven and he's about to be a free agent. Everybody wanted him. His career is as a team player is going way better. But he's down to twenty four points a game.
Speaker 3: For him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I haven't heard anybody. It's basically SGA, and then it'll be Joker, and then it'll be people way down the list there.
Speaker 11: Yes, Ma, it's this show that's keeping the calves.
Speaker 2: We're keeping them afloat.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we talk about them, Yes, and we talk about Polo benk in the Rockets, who talks more of random NBA than this is broadcast.
Speaker 2: That's because I watched the NBA.
Speaker 3: Well, you're a junkie.
Speaker 2: These other hostess they don't watch, they don't watch, they don't. I mean, you got big time guys on TV, or I've got guys on a roster that aren't even haven't been on the roster in a couple of years. You got to watch. But they you know, I'm here to cover the NBA, you know, instead of just saying, let's just cover the Lakers. Love the Lakers situation, but you try to be fair to the other stories.