Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Dustin Nickerson April seventeenth through the nineteenth. Then catch the hilarious siblings Leah and Andrew Rudick April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth. And from Dublin, Ireland, It's David Nihil Me second and third Comedy Up Broadway opened and downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the.
Speaker 2: Area thirty eight years later.
Speaker 1: Call eight five, nine, two seven one joke or visit Comedy off Broadway, dot.
Speaker 2: Com co off Brodway.
Speaker 3: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 2: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome here, ladies. You have my boys and girls, grandpas and grandmall's aunts and uncles. It is the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Is Thursday, April seventeenth, Right, Levandrew Franklin and Shannon the Dude Here as always Kentucky's port Radio sponsored by the Great TJ. Smith Office. Call TJ and what happened Shannon?
Speaker 2: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 4: He'll make them pay. We'll have our whiskey thief. Call today on the Clarks publishop phone line, which is eight five nine two eight h two two eight seven. We've had a lot of really good calls this week, and we'll also we'll also do the what's the other one? We gotta do a vision glass text machine?
Speaker 5: We go.
Speaker 4: The a vision glass text machine is my cell phone. By the way, it blew up all night people saying, yeah, there's a Mark Pope and Paduca, There's a Mark Pope and Catus. There's a Mark poping you know Highlands.
Speaker 3: Well you didn't give me the right number yesterday because that guy had no idea what I was talking about when I called it and said to this Mark Pope.
Speaker 4: Well, but there is a Mark Pope, but apparently he's in jail and Corbin.
Speaker 5: Poor guy. You just keep calling out for being in jail.
Speaker 4: Uh God, I got a lot of stuff we're gonna get today, but I think everybody's kind of anxious and want to talk about the one pressing topic right now. So that you said you opened up your script. If you're ready for your play debut.
Speaker 5: We're gonna lead with Romeo and Juliet. Yes, okay, Yeah, we had a rehearsal last night lots of fun. Uh huh, it wasn't. It wasn't a dress rehearsal, not in costume, more of just a walk through meeting. Everyone loved the cast, lots of nice people. Uh. We did like a got a circle and did some voice warm.
Speaker 4: Ups professional stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we went around. You had to you had to say your name, what you do, and your your favorite hobby and then everyone says welcome, say your name back, and then we had to act out the hobby for everyone. So that was pretty fun. The guy next I was gonna say golf, but the guy next to me said golf, so uh, at the last minute said I like to do cartwheels, just to see if anyone went attempts cart whel It didn't work, but uh yeah I got it. That's how we got loose, got warmed up. Maybe before every show we should start doing that, get the vocal cords going. One thing I did learn though, it's uh, you know, I had I got to hold the sheet for the line, so no pressure on this one. Everybody was holding their sheet. But I didn't consider there's a lot more to know, Like there's like six different entrances and I enter at different parts and exited different parts, where to stand on the stage, A lot of things I didn't consider. So there was a lot of information I had to take in and things I've got to I've got to learn before I guess second a week from tomorrow from tomorrow.
Speaker 4: So how many lines do you have?
Speaker 5: I'd say it's probably about ten to fifteen. I'm in. I'm in like two big conversations. But the big thing spoiler alert if anyone doesn't know how Romeo and Juliet at ends, let's let's turned on.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I have to die.
Speaker 5: At the end in the final scene, I'm in a I'm in a sword fight. Last night. I didn't have a sword, so we were just doing it, you know, air swords. But one thing I didn't know until I got there is I lay on the stage and I'm there, like the whole scene, I'm people are stepping over me. I'm just staring up at the lights. So I'm I gotta i gotta practice dying. I'm gonna watch some old horror movies. Uh, I kind of learn, you know, the slasher movies, kind of learn how to die, because you know, that's it's a big role that I that I'm taking on. I thought I just had to rattle off a few lines, but I have to actually die in front of everyone and stay there for a big part of the show. Spiller, Sorry, every one Paris dies.
Speaker 2: Can watch you die?
Speaker 5: Please like some children's theater, go get tickets.
Speaker 4: Well, if you need some advice, you know, we have a professional actor here on this showed this morning. He can kind of help you with, you know, delivering your lines. How you're supposed to die. Help me?
Speaker 5: Have you ever had to die?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the ovw ring just about every time I step in there. And now you've got this man, I was talking about you on the pre show. I know that you're gonna be over prepared and you're gonna do just fine. You're gonna knock it out of the park.
Speaker 5: Well, one thing I did to prepare, I'm gonna confess something. Even my my fellow cast members don't know this. I went on Amazon and I bought, uh, this is a genius move, by the way, patting myself on the back. I bought like a quarterback wristband that has the plays and I'm gonna wear it with my costume and I can just kind of flip that open. I mean, it's amazing how much information those wristbands can hold. So that that idea popped in my head and Amazon got it to me yesterday.
Speaker 2: So there's a chance you could be up there reading the script.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, I mean, I hope, I hope. I don't need to, but if I get in the moment, I'm gonna be QB one and I'll just flip that up and a glance real quick.
Speaker 4: Because there's just one performance, right, yes, one show.
Speaker 5: You better get tickets, you.
Speaker 4: Know, if you do need practice or some advice about how to just lay dead for a whole show. You know, Shannon Lay's dead on his belly in the end of Netflix for There Behind You.
Speaker 2: That joke a lot better when I made it one minute ago. Yes, that's true.
Speaker 4: Well, the picture of you on your bellies like right over Drew's shoulder. Yeah, so we see it every day. It's one of the best shot there. But good luck, though, we were proud of you. Man Lex Children's Theater week from tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's still some tickets available. It holds about three hundred people. Okay, so I have to be dead in front of three hundred people. It is very informal. I feel a lot more relaxed now like yesterday. I don't mind saying this. As I was rehearsing, I had a beer in my hand. I mean they had They had some food and snacks for us, a few beers, so it's not that serious. It's more of a comedy.
Speaker 4: If you pull that off. Have a beer on stage during the actual performance, now that's something.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna do that during the performance, but to loosen up, and you know, it was a long night. They took good care of us. Also, I just I guess I'm a creep. I just aggressively hit on Juliet for all of my lines and get turned down. Kind of type cast there.
Speaker 4: Uh eight five nine who two two eighty seven. Matt will be back on Monday. So I texted Mama Karen this morning. You know, got any update and I can pass this along. He's headed to New York tomorrow, so he flies back to the United States tomorrow. He'll be in Kentucky on Saturday. They're gonna have dinner on Sunday, and then of course he'll be here on Monday.
Speaker 5: So you got the whole family agenda.
Speaker 4: Yeahs dinner. Yeah, Well, I think a lot of people are asking, you know, how's it going. We've not really heard out how things have gone. He's checked in from time to time, but I'm just to hear his stories from up there.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So he sent us a tenerary for next week when he's back. Yeah, so we know we'll be here Tuesday through Thursday at least at the bar. Ya. Looking forward to having him back and looking forward to you driving for two more days.
Speaker 4: Today and tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And today we've.
Speaker 5: Gotatty, why are you so dressed up? I walked in and Shannon, he's got a shirt tucked in, he's got some khakis, a button up. I've I've looked like a slob sitting next to you up here.
Speaker 2: He got a closing or something going on.
Speaker 4: No, I actually have a speaking engagement after the show.
Speaker 2: Whole no speaking engagement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean we made content out of my speaking engagements. What what do you got going on?
Speaker 4: Well, cause soon as I say this, you guys are gonna make fun of me. It's a convention at the Embassy Suites on Newtown Pike, about one hundred and fifty engineers.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna say to an engineer? Well, goodness say like, let's find the opposite of an engineer.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, uh so, uh uh yoga girl, and I researched a couple of engineer jokes. I think I'm gonna go try out, try it out.
Speaker 5: I mean, we talk about me being in a play. This is the real show. What's what joke?
Speaker 2: Give me one lead with your best.
Speaker 4: Well, of course, I'm gonna I'm gonna use the John Cali Perry room full of timeouts joke. That's that's a that's a definitely give me. I'll probably use John car Cali Perry taking the early exit joke. Those will be used. Okay, here's my here's my engineer joke. Okay, ready, did you hear the story about the three engineers who were driving in a car around New Circle Road. The car had trouble and broke down. Well, the mechanical engineer in the back said, it's got to be something mechanical with the engine or the torso or something. The electrical engineer, who was writing shotgun said no, no, no, it's definitely an electrical problem. I can fix it. Well, the software engineer was driving. The software engineer said, listen, guys, all we got to do get out of the car. Count to thirty, get back in the car, start right up. You don't think you don't think that's a good one.
Speaker 5: I mean, good luck.
Speaker 4: I mean that's what dude supposed you know, you unplug it, you wait thirty seconds, and you plug it back with you.
Speaker 5: Do you need to borrow my quarterback wristband to write down your notes for you? So?
Speaker 2: How long do you have to talk?
Speaker 4: Thirty minutes?
Speaker 2: You have to talk for thirty minutes?
Speaker 5: God?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you going to say after that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Here's why I say any questions. You guys got an question about UK football, UK basketball.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm just trying to figure out, like, you've got to talk to engineers, but you're talking to them about engineering.
Speaker 2: Oh, Kentucky sports, Well I plan.
Speaker 4: On kind of poking fun at them a little bit.
Speaker 5: If we can tell, Yeah, are they Kentucky fans? Will they get the John.
Speaker 4: Calvper across the state?
Speaker 5: Okay? So it's all Conuck.
Speaker 4: Could be some Louisville fans, could be Indiana fans, could be some Tennessee fans in there.
Speaker 5: I'm nervous for you.
Speaker 2: I am too.
Speaker 5: I think five minutes are gonna pass, and you're gonna run out of things to say.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why we open up for questions, and they got twenty five minutes for question and answers to the.
Speaker 5: Time, go to the nothing else. Just start naming all the Mark Popes around the state.
Speaker 4: Well they're apparently they're all they are. I got text messages all night long where they found there's another Mark Pope.
Speaker 5: Good luck.
Speaker 4: Well there is one kind of thank you. There is kind of one news topic I think we got to get to here in this first segment, is that we've talked so much about the UK basketball roster and the making up the roster, well the UK football roster, and got a little shake up yesterday with Hartley Gilmour coming back to the team. He left the team enrolled in Nebraska, has now left Nebraska and coming back to Kentucky. And I think we need to say he had a misdemeanor assault charge against him when he was hearing lection in the first time, and that kind of led to his dismissal first go around. Now they're inviting him back, bringing him back, of course, the receiver room needs little depth. What's your take on Harley Gilmore returning back to the Kentucky football team.
Speaker 5: You know, the reaction has not been good, and it's the reaction you would expect. I mean, he I don't remember. I don't think he got dismissed here. I just left. But as you said, he had off the field issues. Then he doesn't even make it through spring practice at Nebraska and they sent him packing. So it just makes you wonder if Kentucky's all about repairing the culture of all the people that are in the portal. It does seem like an odd move. It's really bad optics to add him, really, as Stoops has been very vocal about how they're cleaning up that locker room, and if you know, it was rumored and reported that he was part of the trouble in the receiver last year receiver room last year. So I think it is an odd move. I hope that they've set him down and said, look, dude, this is your final chance. Absolutely nothing can go wrong. You're gone. You've now, you've been at two stops, this is this third. You got one more left. I hope they're on a very strict discipline around him, because it's it's not a good look.
Speaker 4: Really, Shannon, what do you.
Speaker 5: Think I mean?
Speaker 3: We just heard when you know Stoops was last on this show. How he's going to make, you know, a big emphasis on cleaning up all the off the field issues that we were talking about, you know, like the culture of Kentucky football. And then you bring a guy back that's already got a track record. It's not a great look. I got to be honest with you. So if you bring him in, I think you got to say, this is an absolute zero policy situation.
Speaker 2: You do anything crossway that you're out.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you can if your Mark Stoops be taken seriously about changing the culture, if you're bringing back somebody that already has issues.
Speaker 4: I think Drew's right. I think when he left here the first time, he didn't get necessarily gett dismissed. I think it was mutual. I think he got in trouble kind of a mutual decision. Hey maybe he should look elsewhere, and he did transfer it Abrasca. But when Nebraska releases him, when he leaves Nebraska so quickly, it makes you scratch your head a little bit. Why Kentucky would kind of bring him back when, like Shannon just said, he Stoops already said he wants to change the culture and bring it back to where it used to be.
Speaker 5: The thing we don't know is how what he was in the locker room. Mean, he had he had the off field issue and that's bad, but you know that receiver room. I think one of the guys that left that went to LSU was a big part of the problem. I don't know on the day to day how hardly Gilmore was behind the scenes. Stoops would know better than anyone. They have a new receivers coach. In the two practices I've seen that dude. He's not afraid to yell. He seems to not put up with some anything. So maybe they have him reeled in. But just the perception of it does not look good. A guy that has now had two issues in two seasons and you're bringing him back. He's also very young when he committed here, he was like seventeen, true, so maybe he's done some maturing and growing that we don't know about. But it doesn't look good on the outside of as Stoops is trying to clean that up and been so open about having a better culture.
Speaker 4: Now here's a quote for somebody very very close to the UK football program about Harley Gilmore he said, he's really not a bad kid, just needs to grow up. He will be number one wide receiver this year. He's that good.
Speaker 5: Well, he's always had a lot of potential, and that's why I mentioned his age. I mean not to excuse his behavior, but he was a kid when he got here. I'm supposed to still be in high school. Maybe he's matured and grown up and it took kind of falling all the way down to the bottom to realize he's got a straighten up. Hopefully that's the case, but it won't help the criticism around Stoops in that program right now.
Speaker 4: I guess you know. Stoops has also said he's open and Matt has even been open about giving him someway a second chance. Maybe this is what this kid needs, Channing. He he just needs a second chance.
Speaker 2: I mean for a second chance.
Speaker 3: But you know, Stoops is really sticking his neck out there for this kid. I feel like, you know, because what if he brings them back and then you have another issue, then it's yeah, it really looks bad if that happens again after his track record that we've already talked about.
Speaker 4: But if he gets the right help, maybe he cannot just be a better player, be a better person. Maybe he can get out of here at Kentucky.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hopefully they've had those conversations. We won't even know if they did, but you know, they've had guys in the past that other schools didn't want to touch, and they took them in and gave him an opportunity.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 5: I mean, we all liked Lynn Bowden, right. You know a lot of schools didn't want to touch Lyn Bowden out a high school that turned out okay, yep. So you can only I guess you just have to have to trust that it's gonna work out. But just as it keeps saying, the the optics around it are pretty ugly.
Speaker 4: So we got Drew and Romeo and Juliet, I'm with a bunch of engineers, and Shannon is still hanging out with Geen Mitchell down at Panama City Beach. We want to hear from you. Eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. That's the Clark Puppe Shop phone number. We're right back. Take your calls here on Kentucky's Ports Radio. Welcome back, Ryan, Drew and Shann Here in Kentucky's Sports Radio. I'm really worried about my engineering joke. Now you shouldn't even didn't even chuckle.
Speaker 5: I'm more worried about what you're gonna do when you're out of content and there's still twenty five minutes to go.
Speaker 4: Well, you know you can fill the good five ten minutes on UK basketball, Okay, five ten minutes in UK football.
Speaker 5: So like when you say you're gonna talk about basketball, you're just gonna ask yourself a question. Are you're just gonna just start talking about the season or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the roster? You know all these names that I now know who they are?
Speaker 5: What's what's Moe's last name?
Speaker 4: Mohammed Diabate?
Speaker 2: There he is somebody studied.
Speaker 4: But Yellovich, I'm still his first name? How to pronounce his first name? Yellovich?
Speaker 5: Andreas?
Speaker 4: Andreas? We think Yellowvich?
Speaker 5: I think I think if you said it like that.
Speaker 2: One, you know it's true.
Speaker 4: Jalen Lowe here we go, point guard. Look at this guy, Cam Williams.
Speaker 5: Did you stay at a Holiday and Express?
Speaker 4: I did stay at a Holiday Express last night. We got a couple here that well, Anita's here all the time. She's up here from Florida, but she brought her nephew, right, your nephew, Jared Jordan. He listened to the show all the time down in Florida with his first time here, so he wel come on board, Jordan.
Speaker 5: We should we should do shows in Florida. That sounds funn.
Speaker 4: Amen, exactly right. And we will have a special guest coming up at eleven o'clock, DeAndre Liggins, who just announced member of the TBT team. He's gonna join us. He can't be here, so we're gonna join us on the phone and eleven o'clock. I haven't talked to DeAndre Leiggans since he left.
Speaker 5: Have you No. I don't even know that I've really talked to him ever. I was I covered that team, so there was probably some postgame interviews and stuff, but I don't remember him being on the show. I don't know him well, but I'm I'm definitely excited to hear from him and what he's been up to. I know he's had a long pro career. I think it's still going and it'll be exciting to add his defense to TBT. That's what he was known for. Well.
Speaker 4: They tried to get him last year, him and drown both they just didn't work out with their schedules. They both committed this year to be on the TBT team, so their TBT team here like loading up again for this summer's tournament, which we all kind of got on the band. We have a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Last year, I had a blast, other than being assaulted in the city of Louisville, I had a great time. Looking forward to it moving over to Memorial Coliseum this summer.
Speaker 4: So DeAndre will be here at eleven o'clock talk to us. Speaking of former Cats, though, he was seeing what ty Tyler Hero did last night.
Speaker 5: He has been on fire, not just last night, but like his last ten games. This is the best he's played ever in his first All Star year and had another big one last night. I uh, I was a little surprised the Heat had the season they did and they're they're even in the play in game. But he put them in a good position last night beating the Bulls big time in Chicago.
Speaker 4: He had twenty three points at halftime and was eight of eight from the field, didn't miss a shot finishes I think with thirty eight points in the win. BAM had a big game. Two those two guys, they look really good playing out there for the Heat last night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Bam had a double double. You know, we got it. It's on TV right now. I'm looking at the highlights. Uh this Cats scattered everywhere, but it's much easier to like the heat. And well even the Kings who played last night at the team the two Cats, and that's probably the biggest the two that are playing the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The second game was the Mavericks and the Kings. Of course, the Mavericks got Anthony Davis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's that one's double outs had four Cats in that game.
Speaker 4: PJ. Washington, those guys start together. And then the Kings had Kevin Knox no on the league, Monk and Malak. My Maleak didn't play last night. I don't think I think he was injured or something.
Speaker 5: No, he didn't play. But uh, I wish Dearin were still on that team. I love them together. But uh, Anthony Davis with a big statement the MAVs aage game. The MAVs have been a joke ever since that trade. That GM still with one of the worst moves of all time. But I hate that Anthony Davis has to be part of that punchline. So I'm glad he had a good game last night with about twenty seven twenty seven.
Speaker 4: I think he had twenty seven, Yeah, so good. Three PJ had seventeen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he might have been the second leading score. PJ was a huge part of their run last year to the finals. He's the big piece there. So I'll be rooting for them also, so.
Speaker 4: That that era from twenty fifteen to two thousand cal I mean, well, look, okay, let's go back. The twenty fifteen team had nine guys I think they played in the NBA, and there's still what Carl, Devin, and Trey Lyles although the only three left still playing Carl playing in the NBA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, whom, Yeah, I guess that'd be about right.
Speaker 4: Well, that's that is ten years ago.
Speaker 5: Can see that go? Yeah, I mean they had some good careers in there. People forget about the team that had Knox, Nick Richards, ye Winion. I mean there's a that was that team didn't have a lot of tournament success, but that team was loaded with with Yeah, leave off.
Speaker 4: Shaye led the NBA and scorings. So yeah, Shae, PJ, Washington, Nick Richards, Winyon.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna pull up that roster to make sure we get this right. But yeah, I mean they were absolutely.
Speaker 4: Loaded, and then then the next year you get to when you get Tyler Hero and PJ playing together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's sixteen wild Keldon Johnson, Yep, there's sixteen Wildcats playing in the playoffs right now. Uh, it could be more. Jackson's hurt with the Pacers, he's out, and Topping was with the Hawks, but he was on a two way contract, so we can't play in the playoffs. But they've just been There's a lot of guys to Jared Vanderbilt with the Lakers bring up very much. He was on that team with Shay and Knox. Here I have pulled up Knox, Shae, PJ. Diallo was in the league for a long time, might still be in there winning, Gabriel, Nick Richards, Kaleia Jones, or he didn't make it.
Speaker 4: Vanderbilt, Uh, loaded lots six or seven guys off that team.
Speaker 5: On a team that we don't really I think that finally ever didn't have much of a run. They were stacked with players. So they're just all over the NBA right now. And even at the end of the year, you had guys get opportunities like Keon Brooks was playing for the Pelicans with Brandon Boston and Antonio Reeves all on the same team. So I know we've we've turned the page from that era, but there's still a lot of guys to root for in the league.
Speaker 4: And that last team and Covid had Maxie quickly a couple other guys. You know, they've played very well in the NBA. It's it's it's amazing that earrow you look back how many NBA players played here. They never even made the final four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's there's that aspect to it. I'm surprised Maxie didn't make the playoffs. I thought the Pistons were gonna be or uh, the Sixers were going to be a contender. He and Booker being at home this time of the year feels weird. As good as they are and as good as their teams were supposed to be, but neither one of them made the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Eight five nine two two two eight seven. That's our Clark's pumpings out phone number. So we got first in. Let's go to Gene, Gene, go ahead, Gene.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I've Geene. Mitchell likes to Kentucky and I thought it funny because I'm a singer. Also, I sung in nightclubs, the TV and Uh, I was singing to Miss Lexington Contest for two years in a row under Nick Clooney was the MC had a show on Top teen tunes back in the late fifties on w l e X with Ronnie Thompson. I sang it was a singer on that show. And I've sung in Mickey Mantle's place in Dallas, Texas, and so I've done some singing around also. So I thought it was really really funny that his name was Geen Mitchell. My name was Geen Mitchell. I wonder if he copied my name I made somewhere in the pass I made eight years old now, so he might have seen me somewhere like in Hot Springs because it was like it was a casino back then, you know, back in the fifties, early fifties before full part became the governor. Uh, there was open games, like a Vegas. He was like a little Las Vegas. They had casino. So I was at the Tower Club there for about six months singing there.
Speaker 4: We stay on hold when we got to go to a commercial breaks stannhold on Shannon, see if you can figure out a way we can play some of his stuff if he knows the way we can find it and he can send it to you or something. We want to hear this version this Gene Mitchell. So we played the other Gene Mitchell yesterday. Well, good, thank you for calling in, sir. We appreciate that. It's nice to talk to you.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, Yeah, Shan, see if you can figure out a way to get some of his stuff and play that Gene Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Man, I don't know.
Speaker 3: When I google Gen Mitchell, only one Gen Mitchell pops up and that's not that guy.
Speaker 2: Well that's why maybe Panama City Gen Mitchell.
Speaker 4: Maybe he can figure it out and the way to send you something. I mean, he played in Mickey Mantle's Club for crying out louds true.
Speaker 5: They got to form a band together.
Speaker 4: We'll take our break, come back eight five nine two eight two too, eet seven Take you Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: TJ Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ.
Speaker 5: He'll make them.
Speaker 3: Pay now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 2: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome back Kentucky Sports Radio. Can we say what just happened?
Speaker 5: Sure we can say whatever we want.
Speaker 4: During the commercial break, Shannon, this guy comes up and asks Drew, can I shut down the internet while I work on I'm here with the network guy, I need to work on the internet.
Speaker 5: It was a hard no, hard no for me.
Speaker 4: There's like, we have a show, We're doing the show right now.
Speaker 2: Kind of important, kind of important.
Speaker 5: This happened a couple weeks ago when Matt was here. Yeah, it was like ten oh one, we're gonna shut down the internet to work on internet.
Speaker 4: Connection here with our equipment. I mean, we're all for that improving the quality of the internet here. But maybe not during ten to.
Speaker 5: Twelve of all the hours, this is not the one. Maybe wait for the.
Speaker 4: Next twelve thirty. But they always show up between ten and twelve always.
Speaker 5: Why is it when I need people to come to my house and fix something, they never show up for three hours later. Had a guy show up at nine pm last Friday, which was fine, he did good work, but I had been waiting since four.
Speaker 4: Two two week seven. That's our phone number, Shannon. Did you get some songs from the other Gene Mitchell that just called in?
Speaker 2: No? I can't find his like, there's no track record of it. On the internet.
Speaker 3: There's nothing there and I didn't get an eight track or anything from him, so no, it's a no go.
Speaker 5: I know his son he texted me and I said, we're trying to find music, and he said, no chance. So if the son doesn't think we're gonna find this, Barry Barry Mitchell, Oh that's his son. Barry texted in, oh way, yeah, is that our whiskey thief text? End of the day.
Speaker 4: At the Whiskey Thief text, end of the day.
Speaker 5: I like that, but I would like to hear Geens music.
Speaker 4: Well, if anybody knows how to get ahold of this music from this Gene Mitchell, we'll play it for you.
Speaker 2: I like that. I'm was telling you during the break. I like that.
Speaker 3: We could find an alternate gen Mitchell. But we can't find the alternate Mark Pope.
Speaker 4: Oh, there's plenty of them going to the Texters last night eight five, nine, two eight two week ten. Let's get onto the phone call who we got Shannon Richard? Richard, go ahead, Richard.
Speaker 8: Good morning, gentlemen.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 8: I was really impressed with the hero last night. The more I'll watch him and killed in Johnson play as the pros how and how in the world did we not win the national championship that year with those two.
Speaker 5: Kids by Auburn in Kansas City. Hero hit the game winner to be Houston. Yeah, Houston, the beginning of their little tournament success they've had in the last five six years. Hero put them away.
Speaker 8: Another one, another one fs. Oh have you heard anything about in the part about Eagle Staff or Tyson? I know, I know on Internet it was showing Kentucky was looking at them.
Speaker 4: Appreciate her up, all right, good to hear from you. Yeah, update on Eagleson. He's the kids staff Eagle Staff. He committed to South Carolina and then just decommitted this week after two weeks. I think something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a West Virginia guy. Uh Tyson they reached out to. I don't know how serious that was. There's new names popping up, there's a there's an international player that's now maybe in the mix. So they're casting a wide net as they're looking for that last spot.
Speaker 4: So Brayden Hawthorne I believe is still on campus or he was yesterday. He's the kid from Huntington Prep that our buddy Darryl from over there in Belfrey's been talking about for a couple of years. I actually saw Bradon Hawthorne play in that game against Jasper Johnson's team over Woodford County High School last year for the Alvis Johnson showcase. How you look, didn't He didn't have his best game that game. You know, all the coaches were there. Cal was there, Like the West Virginia coach was there. I think the Cincinnati coaches there, North Carolina coaches were there. They were all there sitting in the front row. Jasper had an awesome game. He had like thirty three points, like seriously, like ten threes. But the Hawthorne kid didn't have his best game that day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's interesting that they'd go to a freshman. I don't know if that would be to fill the role that they were looking forward just with Wilkerson, but he was on campus and they're pursuing him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know much about him. I hadn't seen him play in person, So your report is what I'll go off of there.
Speaker 4: Well, the kid from North Carolina that the Richard just mentioned, he's he's not He's not like a superstar or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Right he started, Cal actually reached out to him before the coaching change for Kentucky, but he hit the portal the first time. So he's now been recruited by two different eras. He was originally a Belmont but.
Speaker 4: He's but he'd be more like the backup guy probably.
Speaker 5: I mean, he would bring shooting that they need. But you know, I don't know who would win that job assuming Oway comes back. Uh with Oway and Low, I don't know if he would probably be the starter, But you know, Jasper he could play his way into it. But in how he develops over the summer and gets ready for college basketball, That's the thing.
Speaker 4: Jasper can shoot. Man, you're looking for a shooter, he can throw him out there. I mean he's yeah, he can shoot, he can light it up.
Speaker 5: The thing with him is will he be able to defend right away in the sec that over time they're not really known as lockdown defenders. But he certainly has the jump shot to be a big impact.
Speaker 4: Eight five nine two two two eighty seven. Who's next? Shannon?
Speaker 2: Wayne?
Speaker 4: Wayne? Go ahead? Wayne?
Speaker 9: Hey, what I was calling about was you guys finally just mentioned him. They keep talking about needing the shooting guard and all wondered, why no one has even mentioned Jasper Johnson, and I mean it was like, Okay, we got this kid coming in that we know is gonna be a one and done and he is a shooting guard. He's proved that, and nobody ever talks on him. All all everybody talks about is we need another point guard, We need another point guard. Well that's what he is.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the phone call. Yeah, Jasper is gonna has the talent to someday be a superstar. I really believe that. Like Drew said, I think, and he's just get a little bigger, a little stronger, a little better defender. But they just posted a video of him in an overtime Elite workout where he hit twenty two of twenty five three points.
Speaker 5: That broke the overtime Elite record in that drill.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good shooting. Yeah, twenty two of twenty five three pointers.
Speaker 5: And the answer of why people want to shoot her is because we're Kentucky and we want a perfect team and we want two of everything. And that's the one spot where you could still add another body, but you know, we want the perfect roster and that's part of it. Even though you've got great pieces all around, it want more the twelve guys that could all have a big impact, but we we want thirteen.
Speaker 4: We want more, And who's not to say that Otega can get that hitch out of his shot and him be a knockdown shooter next year.
Speaker 5: And I think Lowe will develop. If you look at Butler, he made a big jump in three point shooting coming to Kentucky did Lowe had to play a lot of hero ball for a terrible Pittsburgh team, So I would expect his percentages to increase too when he gets here and doesn't have to do quite as much.
Speaker 4: I did see what we're talking about Cam Williams.
Speaker 5: Also, I feel like we don't talk about Cam Williams because he committed in the middle of the tournament. He did. He can also knock it down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a guy. I think we do completely overlook, especially these new guys we just got. Why not could he fill that role?
Speaker 5: I still love the roster as it is, assuming a quaintance bounces back and he's able to play in time for SEC play. I mean, I still would like to see him at a shooter, but I really like what they've done so far.
Speaker 4: I did see a former Cat found the new home Cameron Fletcher.
Speaker 5: Where did he end up?
Speaker 4: High Point? That's right, high Point, So he's been He went from Kentucky to Florida State for a couple of years. That's a guy. He played like three games here, got in the doghouse and didn't play again. When cal Perry was here, he was a highly rated vire.
Speaker 5: The Portal has had a lot of blasts from the past with ask you. Jordan Burks was in there, Remember Jordan Burks. I was hoping somebody would just build a Kentucky leftover team. Dante Allen's into portal. Lots of them around there.
Speaker 4: They could have probably had a pretty decent team with Hugo.
Speaker 5: Hugo is on the move, big Z was into Portal City. Yeah, Hugo. Uh I saw someone. I don't know if this was just someone being wishful thinking online, but an Arkansas account was like, should should Calgo get Hugo? It's like that's that'd just be a bizarre reunion there in Fayetteville.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: A lot of former Cats floating around.
Speaker 2: Who's next, Shannon, who we got Let's go to Paul in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: Paul and Minnesota Hello, Paul.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, I'm I think I'm gonna miss that about I'm a big NBA fan, and so I think part of what I'm gonna miss is I don't think we're going to be putting as many guys in the league. Well, obviously what Calvin was on a cross of that, but I mean, I don't know, what do you all think? Can we get one or two guys in the league every every year with Pope?
Speaker 4: It's a great question. Paul appreciate it because, like obviously, if you look at this year, if Kobe Bray is the only guy on the draft board, maybe Otega can work his way and there, maybe Jackson someday can find a spot there. But there's no they're not anywhere near a first round guy. Can Pope get to the point where he's gonna have some first round guys here?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: He will. Kentucky has enough nil money to even though the one they're building now will still have to wait and see. He'll he'll land a big fish either out of high school or in the portal that has NBA future. I think we won't have the days of the green room is just a Kentucky advertisement every summer we got used to seeing Cal bounce from table to table. I don't know that Pope will ever get to that spot. It won't won't be like it's been. But yeah, he'll have NBA talent, just not as nearly as much as Cal did.
Speaker 4: I mean the guys we mentioned in the first segment. Some of those guys are now All Stars Maxie. He wrote, Carl Town's been an All Star, Devin Bucker's been an All Star, Band's been an All Star. I mean all star guys. I don't know if we're ever get back to that level again.
Speaker 5: All Star that that's pushed it a little bit. Uh, but I think we'll see plenty of NBA talent, maybe second round, maybe into the first round. Might have a couple of lottery picks over time. But uh, times have certainly changed around here. I forgot to even mention Sha in the MVP conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no kidding, a guy that came here as a backup point guard to Kwad A. Green.
Speaker 5: I remember the press conference when we're sitting there because everyone had just assumed Quada was the point guard that I believe it was media day. I can almost remember the exact seat I was in looking at Cal when he's like, you know, I might start Shay And at the time we're like what because he had I mean, he was a four star, but he wasn't anything like what Cal had been signing up to that point. Wasn't a lot of accolades around him. And then by the time the Louisill game rolled around that year, we knew exactly which shall.
Speaker 4: He was the star. He was a superstar, but at the.
Speaker 5: Time we thought that was Quada's team, and that in that fall as they were getting ready for the year.
Speaker 4: Well it was supposed to be it was Quad and Shaye was brought here as a backup. Didn't work didn't quite work out that way. Kwaddy Green went to Washington. Whatever happened to him, this good question. He's still bouncing around somewhere.
Speaker 5: I have no idea what. We've had a lot of some former Cats go to Washington. Ke On Brooks went to Washington.
Speaker 4: Keon ended up, you know, playing with the Pelicans at the end of the season. So worked out okay for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I don't know where Quadda is. That one didn't pan out. I'm still still upset with the shot he took in the NCAA tournament. Yes, when they were down. I remember the exact scenario, but it was not the shot we wanted. On the final game for that team. Was that his freshman year playing Kansas State? Kansas State, he threw up a three I didn't love in the Atlanta. I think that game was Atlanta. Al Right, it's kind of the phone call Shan who we got.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Mark Anthony, Mark Anthony, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Sir, Good morning, Ryan, Drew and Shannon and Drew to uh drawing an analogy with the Righteous Jemstones. You had to bear the cross last week, and you done good, boy, You've done real good.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Appreciate that. Yeah. And when you're talking about Hardley Gilmore coming back, Uh, first thing, I thought, wait a minute, how old is he? Then you said he was seventeen here the first trip around. You know, a kid can grow a lot between seventeen and twenty. I hope he's got his head the right place now. And appreciate that. Stoops he is sticking his neckat for him and Buck was down and performs. And hey, Ryan, you're going to speak to a group of engineers. Yes, sir, I'm jealous I'm jealous. I've always wanted to know what it's like to drive a train. I hope you find that and bring it back and tell us about Tennis.
Speaker 5: See that joke.
Speaker 4: I could use that joke. If that joke would go over a little better than my software engineer joke.
Speaker 5: Write that down.
Speaker 4: Take it to.
Speaker 5: There on Gilmore. He was sixteen when he got to campus. And to your point there, I also would have been kicked off the football team if I were sixteen years old running around Lexington with everything.
Speaker 4: That's pretty young, and then you can make young, immature mistakes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we would be talking about me getting in trouble. I think a lot of us at sixteen probably wouldn't have been ready to be in an sec locker room.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously it's stoops and vents in the coaches that still believe in him as a person, or they wouldn't have brought him back for what he's the kind of the stubbed his toe a couple of times, getting in trouble a little bit. They wouldn't brought him back if they thought he was a bad kid.
Speaker 5: I remember Sabin had a big rant thing went viral about how given second chances you can't just throw these guys away because they make one mistake. So that's that's clearly the route Stoops is taken. You just got to hope it works out and that the kid, you know, went far enough down that he realized he's got to straighten up and get on the right path because these guys, he has a ton of potential.
Speaker 4: Shanny, you know what I want to tell you about. Who's that Richmond Road Vet Clinic. Ah, you know, we were down in Panama City Beach. I took my dogs over the Richmond Road Vet Clinic. They bordered him, They gave him all their shots, they trimmed their nails. Everything he needs, like one stop shopping. I used them all the time when we go out of town. And you can do it too. And then listen to this calling all Big Blue Nation fans, don't forget about the furry members of your wildcat family. As the Richmond Road Vet Clinic and takes creaking in my hospital are proud to bring you bb IN Pets, the ultimate fan club for your pet. Sign up your dog today let them join Big Blue Nation in style. Membership comes with exclusive BB AND gear and invites in and invites to fund dog friendly UK sporting events. Imagine you're pup rocking out of the air new BBN swag being the real MVP of the game. It's UK pride for the whole family. Richmond Roadveck Clinic and Tates Creeking in My Hospital are your trusted partners in pet care and they're just as excited as you are to help the four legged friends show off their wildcat spirit. So visit bbnpets dot com to sign up. Now keep your dog pampered, celebrated and decked out in Big Blue pride. Don't wait, let your furry this is don't wait, Let your furry wildcat join the Big Blue Nation today. Head to bbmpets dot com Now, Richmond be clinical, take a break, Come back, Ryan du and Shannon on Kentucky' Sports Radio. All right, welcome back Kentucky Sports Radio, Ryan Drew and Shannon. Apparently Kwade Green is playing in Mexico right now, so you're still playing. Get that little update, But we just got saw some breaking news. Shannon running on a After thirty eight years broadcasting and announcing college football pregame shows college football games, Lee Corso announces his retirement after week one. So he's gonna do the first week, I guess, get his flowers, and then he'll step down. College game Day won't be the same without him, to be honest in my opinion.
Speaker 5: No, I mean it's you think about him putting on that mascot ahead every week. He's been a big part of it here lately. You know, he hadn't been able to contribute like he did for many years, but it's been It's been kind of sweet watching Kirk Herbstreet take him under his wing.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, he was always there for him. If Lee was kind of losing his words, Kirk would step in and almost not a big brother because he's much younger, but it was it was sweet watching his last couple of seasons. And it's gonna stink see him go. I'm glad we get one more week with him. I don't know where they'll be, but people are gonna lose their minds when he puts on the mascot outfit one more time.
Speaker 4: One more time, Shan. It's gonna be kind of weird not having him there on the set on the college game day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, an absolute legend of the game.
Speaker 3: And you're right, Drew, I mean Herbstreet just taking Corso, you know, like you said, under his wing.
Speaker 2: And taking care of him.
Speaker 3: If it weren't for Herbstreet, you know, the Corso would have retired a couple of years ago. So I think we have Herb streight to think that we had course over the last couple of seasons on the pregame shows.
Speaker 5: Now do Seth green Bird? Just kidding, kind of kidding.
Speaker 4: Also some other news, the NCAA announced they're finally gonna make some rule changes aimed at cracking down on fake injuries in college football games. So they can't just all of a sudden miraculously be walking across the field and somebody signals for him to fall down and they fall down just to stop the clock. Can't do that. They're gonna crack down on that now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got out of hand. He got out of hand. Oh Miss was really bad at it, for being honest. Kentucky did it several times. It's just it got hard to watch it. Just like soccer, you just have guys flopping out of nowhere to stop the clock. I'm glad they cleaned it up. And Ryan, why did all of Wayne County just walk into the bar thirty people just walked in wearing Wayne County shirts. Did you book a Wayne County?
Speaker 4: What is it for? I have to go find out.
Speaker 5: I don't know who are you talking to? Were you just talking to error? Right there?
Speaker 4: I thought he was looking at me. He wasn't looking at me. I think I was looking right at me way over there.
Speaker 5: We're good to have Wayne County in the house. They just rolled in deep.
Speaker 4: H and when one more kind of breaking new subject. It looks like I'm a Leva. I'm a Leva Nico transferring to UCLA.
Speaker 5: Somebody got him well at cheap rate.
Speaker 4: You thought it would be one of the big, bigger schools that could probably at least spend some money on him. I don't know if he's gonna get the two the four million he was wanting, but he's gonna get something to the UCLA.
Speaker 5: His brother was there and just transferred out. So that's weird. You think of his brother left UCLA and the family might be done with UCLA. But I guess not. And I saw that they said part of the reason they left Tennessee was they didn't like the offense. I don't think it's a quarterback you would like Tennessee's offense. But whatever, good luck to him. I still think it's a terrible move. There's no way he's getting what Tennessee was paying him.
Speaker 4: And it hurts Tennessee because if their backup quarterback I think left during the portal season, so now they're down to like a red shirt freshman being their number one quarterback.
Speaker 5: I think right now, oh, there'll still somebody. I know Hypel's saying, oh, we like the guys we have. But with the portal being back open, you'll see a name go in, yeah, and we'll all know what direction he's heading. If it's a big time quarterback.
Speaker 4: Probably already taken care of because the portal, the second portal just opened, so he may see that announcement become pretty quick that they've signed another quarterback.
Speaker 5: Tennessee has all that money Nico didn't get. They can go spend and get it. Get a big fish somewhere.
Speaker 4: Soul not in the SEC.
Speaker 5: You can't. You can't transfer to the conference, so uh, you know, Calzada bowling, they can't touch any of those guys.
Speaker 4: But uh, I'm a Leva, I'm a Leva, I'm a Leva. Just Nico. I think the reports even yesterday were he's probably have to go to a JUCO or a smaller school and then make the jump to a big ten school or a bigger school. But UCLA reached out, I guess and they worked out a deal with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, even summerw was considered him at two lane and then even they were like, nop, not touching this one. So u c l it is.
Speaker 4: And like we said, Paul Finebaum's been like critical of Leva and told him don't touch him. Just don't touch the guy. They could be kryptonite.
Speaker 5: Well, you didn't want him to go get the money he was asking for because that kind of sets the president and lets other players do the same. The sport needed to make a statement with him demanding more money at the end of spring practice because UCLA caved. But ye can't imagine they're paying what he wants.
Speaker 4: So the Tyler Childers concert is Saturday over at Kroger Field. We're gonna have a Tyler Childers like pregame party here at the cast Bar and Grill will be playing Tyler's songs all day so he can come over here before the concert, come back after the concert will be open and if you come into one of our establishments here on our neighbors. You can park in our parking lot. You can't park here and then just leave. You got to come and, you know, spend some money at one of our restaurants and we'll let you park out here in our parking lot, which is really as good as you're gonna get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to the concert. I'm gonna pregame here at the bar myself, so hope we have a good crowd. Might even play some Gene Mitchell tunes. Mix in with.
Speaker 4: The Yea and coming up Doron Lamb is now DeAndre Niggins is in. We thought we were gonna get both of them. Looks like Durant's practicing, so DeAndre Liggins will be joining us. We come back Eron can take a sports radio.
Speaker 5: Don't go Away.