Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June grosseol from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This was not a spontaneous act of violence. It was deliberate, calculated, and premeditated.
Speaker 3: Luigi Mangioni pleaded guilty on Friday to two federal stalking charges in the killing of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson, admitting matter of factly that he trailed the executive to an investor conference and gunned him down on a New York City street in twenty twenty four. After the plea, Mangioni's attorney, Karen Friedman Agnifilo, echoed what he had said in his allocution to the court that he endured years of severe pain from a broken back while struggling to navigate the obstacles of the healthcare system.
Speaker 4: Like the thousands of people who've reached out since this tragedy to share their own experiences, he believed that the system had failed him and destroyed his life.
Speaker 3: Mangione's state trial on murder and weapons charges is set to start on September eighth, but his lawyers have filed a motion to dismiss the state trial under New York's double jeopardy statute.
Speaker 4: It was a single tragic event, yet he's being prosecuted twice for the same conduct.
Speaker 3: Federal prosecutors didn't give Mangioni any deal or incentive to plead guilty. In fact, Manhattan US Attorney Jamie McDonald said that they'll ask for a sentence of life in prison when he's sentenced on December eighteenth.
Speaker 2: There are no accommodations or concessions, and we are free to seek the maximum penalty under the law.
Speaker 3: My guest, his criminal defense attorney Jeremy saland a former Manhattan prosecutor, Jeremy It's not often you see a defend in pleading guilty to every charge without a plead deal in place.
Speaker 5: If you're going to plead to an entire indictment, you can do so. It's exceedingly rare. In this you find yourself in a bind, which he did here. By the way, I break this down at least internally, and I think it's a fair assessment. If I'm Manngioni and his defense team, I recognize that my defenses are limited. There was at one point an effort to pursue extreme emotional distress that died on the proverbial line didn't go anywhere. We look at the evidence, and we lost our hearing upon the defense for the most part. So the evidence that was the most damning still came in. So if we don't have that extreme emotional distress and the evidence is pretty damning, what is our defense? And if our defense is hoping to get a secret centurion candidate type juror, then that's a pretty bad defense because even if you are successful in round one, you know the state is going to prosecute at round two and you know that defense are there waiting in the wings, although they clearly did not wait. So he was really stuck. And I'd rather be doing my time in a federal peditentiary than in Attica or sing Sing or green Haven. And for those who do not know, you should visit from the outside. Scary scary places.
Speaker 3: So do you think that the evidence was so overwhelming as we've heard it described that the only real choice was federal prison over state prison.
Speaker 5: The evidence is overwhelming and if you lack those, you know, the mental health defense, extreme emultionim distress or some other insanity type play, there's no question of identity. And all that damning evidence motive intent came in with things were written in video and all that. Again, you see the writing on the wall. If you lack the defense, why am I going to have two trials? Why am I going to risk being in a state penitentiary? Why am I going to risk life in prison with the state. So I think, if I had to choose, I would rather be with defense, and at least I have a chance, albeit a small one, to limit my exposure on the back end in terms of that sentence from the court. But I don't see how the court does that the meaning give him much of anything less than that life without parole. I mean a little bit potentially, certainly, But you're a young man. You know, twenty thirty years in prison you get paroled is still long time.
Speaker 3: The judge asked the federal prosecutors about the advisory guidelines. They said the guideline range was between twenty four to thirty six years in prison. So why wouldn't the judge follow those guidelines instead of sentencing him to life.
Speaker 5: Because if a stature authorizes you to do that, we know the death penalty is off the table. This is sort of rhetorical question, and I think we can all answer it differently. But what's the value of the life meaning taking a life, and the punishment and the deturn factor. So I think all things, you know, are on the table for the court. You know, I would not have been surprised if when he was allocuting and asked questions about, you know, whether you understand your rights and you're giving a right to a trial and the opportune to discuss with your attorney and all those different things. He was asked, you know, he was under the influence of any drugs, and I think only medication he said he had taken was a sleeping cot, which really is counter to the argument that my client has mentally ill and has suffered from all of these issues. So by not saying anything, either he's going to call him later on he really was attorney's throw him to shut his mouth, and therefore I didn't get my truth out, or he's really not and now you've lost the opportunity to argue that in large part in your sentencing.
Speaker 3: That sounds like real defense attorney thinking. So all along the defense attorneys have been arguing that the state and federal prosecutions constitute double jeopardy, And right after the plea, the defense attorneys came out and said, they just filed e motion seeking dismissal of the state's case, arguing that New York law prohibits defendants from being prosecuted twice for the same crime. So that was the real plan then, to get the state case dismissed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, June, of course, you know when I started off with TIF. You can limit it to one and give yourself an argument as best as possible to avoid the maximum time incarcerated, and you could find yourself in a federal prison, which is no cakewalk, don't get me wrong, as opposed to a state prison. Win would be an overstatement, but it's better than the alternative.
Speaker 3: So tell us what the defense double jeopardy argument is and what their chances are of getting the state case dismissed.
Speaker 5: So, generally speaking, there is a rule of sovereignty that says you can have two parallel proceedings even if they stem from really the same incident, meaning federal in state. New York has its own rules, and that limits the ability for the state to prosecute if the underlying criminal transaction and offense is the same. That in part was changed and made it even tighter with Paul Manifort when New York prosecuted him for what was really the same crimes, the same transactions, even more so than this court said no, you can't prosecute Paul mannatfort. So that rule applies here too. But I think there is some color for the prosecution to push back whether they're going to be successful in a different animal, But they do have some arguments to make. For example, in court today, as I understand, demand Jones admitted to shooting mister Thompson and putting him in fear of his safety or something to that effect, but he did not admit to intentionally murdering Thompson. That wasn't required as part of the stalking plea. Now setting us out whether that's justice where you're getting to plead to something else on a homicide intentional murder to stalking. That's a separate question, and I think a valuable one. But the elements are different in these crimes, and the allocution is important here. Also the stalking, the harm intended by the stalking statue, you know, is different than that of the murder too, So there is some color there to argue, But I still think it's a tough lift. One other thing, anything he said in that court room. Remember under oath is usable against him for sure, and that state prosecution if it ever were to rear its head and be able to be pursued.
Speaker 3: So Mangioni read from a prepared statement during the hearing, and part of it talked about years of enduring severe pain from a broken back and having to navigate the obstacles of the healthcare system. His attorney also mentioned that when she spoke outside the courthouse, does that tell us they're going to use that in his sentencing to try to mitigate the severity of his sentence.
Speaker 5: Everything that Karen and Marc Agniffolos stated and said was intentional and deliberate, and they're both phenomenal attorneys, so we should expect delaying the foundation. My response to that is very simply that is neither here nor there. If I'm the judge, it does not give you the right to take a man's life and strip his family of his love and compassion and partnership. Take a hike, mister Mangoni, your day is done.
Speaker 3: Mangioni's attorney said that he's been treated differently from every other defendant charged in New York with the same crime and.
Speaker 4: Has successfully fought off terrorism charges and the death penalty while also fighting at the same time, two simultaneous prosecutions in two jury dictions.
Speaker 3: Do you think he's been treated differently?
Speaker 5: Sobsolutely there, unequivocally correct. And I hope those in charge, from the US Attorney and the Southern District of New York on up recognized they had no place in this prosecution. They had no place seeking the death penalty. And what I mean by that is not that it weren't a potential death penalty if you believe in the death penalty. That's not my point. My point is when I start seeing and you start seeing June, and average New Yorker starts seeing them going after domestic abusers who cross state lines with guns and kill their intimate partners with the same fortitude and intention and zealousness as they did man Gione, then we can have a different conversation. But they don't. They don't, they don't. This is all about ego. It's still about the arrogance of the Southern District. And also a piece of this is I think retribution against Alvin brad for prosecuting Donald Trump. It may not have started that way because started under Biden, but it also was we're going to wait for the prosecution in the state to go through, and it devolved into let's seek the death penalty and let's brush the state aside. And if you want more proof of that, I would bet my career on the fact that Alvin Bragg and the prosecutors in Manhattan did not know that the defense and the federal prosecutors were in conversation about a plea. Hence this apparent spur of the moment on Friday. Let's get it in there, and let's get a plea. That's not judicial economy, doing the right thing for the court system, because it's overburdened and there's a lot of people warranting that attention. The prosecutors have other homicides and horrible sex crimes, violent crimes that demand their attention. The financial equity, the emotional equity, the capital put into this, it's a disgusting injustice, not injustice in the sense that by far and away June, obviously a man was murdered and his name is lost. His name is Brian Thompson. In case we forget, it's not Manzoni. He is dead and his family is traumatized. That's not what the Southern District cared about. They wanted this prosecution. They landed on an aircraft carrier, had fireworks going off, and they took Mangoni and brought him into custody. That's what this was about. And that's disappointing because this deserved the attention of the state prosecutors, which it did. And in the end, if this is the last thing that stands is he convicted of murder? Did he plead to intentionally murdering Brian Thompson? No, that's terrible to me.
Speaker 3: Well, MANGIONI may yet be tried for murder and state court. Bragg's office said they're prepared to litigate the defense motions. Thanks so much, Jeremy. That's criminal defense attorney Jeremy Saland. Coming up next, State attorneys general are demanding one point four trillion dollars in damages from Meta over youth social media addiction. I'm June Grosso and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Now they must pay the price for the choice that they made to put profits over to of safety.
Speaker 3: In a landmark decision this month, New Mexico's Attorney General won a nine hundred and forty two million dollar judgment against Meta after a jury found the social media giant knowingly harmed children's mental health. That verdict may pale in comparison to the potential verdict. Meta is facing at a federal trial where a coalition of twenty nine state attorneys general accused the company of engaging in deceptive business practices that exploit and manipulate young users, leading to a mental health crisis. My guest is an expert in internet law, Professor Eric Goldman of Santa Clara University Law School. Eric tell us about the stakes in this trial.
Speaker 1: In this trial, the state attorney's general are pursuing the social media defendants for a number of claims, including claiming that they are a public nuisance. The state attorneys general have asked for one point four trillion dollars worth damages, which, if issued, would represent a major chunk of the overall value that those entities are worth. The case also potentially puts in play structural remedies that would change how social media services operate. So between the damages of words and the possibility of structural reform, it's possible that these cases will change social media structurally.
Speaker 3: The state attorneys general are saying that Meta designed the platforms to get children and teenagers hooked. Tell us more about the allegations here.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of allegations, so it's a little hard to summarize. You hinted at one of them. The State of the Attorneys General are arguing that social media services were designed to be addictive, in fact addicted the users, and that addiction caused harm. They've also claimed, for example, that the social media services knew about that addictive attributes and harm and failed to disclads it to the public. And they're also claiming that the consequences of this addiction are harming society generally.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Meta denies the allegations. What specifically has it said?
Speaker 1: The social media defendants are depending on a wide range of grounds that the claims that are being advanced against them simply don't fit the facts, that what the social media services have done is not illegal and therefore there should be no remedy for it. They have argued that the First Amendment applies to their decisions, that they're acting like publishers, making editorial decisions and basing liability on those editorial decisions is in consists of the First Amendment, and they're claiming that section two thirty applies. Section two there says websites are liable for third party content, and a lot of the arguments about addiction are ultimately about the delivery of third party content, and therefore the social media defendants argue that Section two thirty should preempt those claims.
Speaker 3: I was expected to last about seven weeks. What kind of witnesses will the state ags likely call to try to prove their case.
Speaker 1: I think that they'll use a variety of different experts who will try to bolster the argument that the social media services engaged in addictive practices and in fact caused harm. Both of those propositions are not scientifically established. The state ags will have to make a case for them. I would assume that we will hear from individual victims. We might also hear from former company employees who have inside information, and maybe others.
Speaker 3: The damages of one point four trillion dollars metas market cap is one point five trillion. I mean, where does that number come from?
Speaker 1: The number might have a little bit of fiction to it. It might be a fantasy land computation, but it doesn't matter if that number is the right number. It really is more the order of magnitude of the State attorney's general position. They are saying that if the social media services are causing as much or more damage as their market cap, they literally shouldn't exist. They're basically trying to drive the value of those companies to near zero. And so that's why I think that the number is so helpful of crystallizing the stakes of this case. It's a reminder that the arguments that state ags are advancing potentially make social media services untenable, not profitable, and maybe no longer a viable market.
Speaker 3: They're also demanding changes besides this staggering sum. The changes to the platforms that the state ages are asking for, would they change, you know, the very essence of the way these companies social media platforms work.
Speaker 1: Unquestionably, the structural remedies that are being ordered by courts and also mandated by legislatures will change how social media operates. What's less clear today is that they're going to change it in a way that will materially affect our willingness to use them. And I'm going to give you an example because I think it's so helpful. The New Mexico judge set a cap on the number of hours that a user could use the service in a month. Now, that cap was pretty generous. That's a lot of hours. I think it was ninety. But imagine that a different judge based on some other assessment of the science, such that any of these decisions are based on that, besides that the number is much much lower. Besides that only five hours a month is permissible. At that point, then many users will no longer be able to engage in the community the way they're currently engaging, and it'll just starve the ecosystem for the engagement that's been driving it. There'll be less people there, they'll be contributing less, there'll be less people to consume it, and as a result, well, the ecosystem goes into a death spiral. It just you can no longer function as the kind of vibrant conversation that we've assumed. Now, I'm just giving you a speculative scenario. I don't know if that scenario is going to play out, but it's helpful to show how one small product change ordered by a court or legislature could easily trigger a downward spiral and multiply that by the dozens, if not hundreds, of different product changes that courts could issue or that legislatures have already mandated, and we can see that the ecosystem is under extraordinary pressure and may not survive it.
Speaker 3: Eric Meta has not fared well so far before juries in these youth social media trials. You had the New Mexico case and then the California case where a jury awarded a single planet iff a young woman six million dollars.
Speaker 1: The cases are not going well for Meta, or for that matter, for other social media defendants. The judges and the juries have generally looked disfavorably on the arguments that they're making. However, these cases are all going to go up on appeal, and there's no reason to believe that the jury or judge verdicts are going to survive intact. There are a number of good arguments that the defendants will make on appeal, and if they can succeed on any one of those arguments, it's possible that some or all of the lower court rulings will be undone. So I haven't put a lot of stock in where we stand today. Other than a data points. The juries are sending a message that they do hold social media services culpable for harming their users. Whether or not they law recognizes that harm and upholds the legal consequences that have been signed to it remains to be seen on appeal.
Speaker 3: Is the strongest argument on appeal that the social media platforms have had immunity from secution over the content that users post, and states are trying to sidestep that by going after the product design features.
Speaker 1: I think there are several strong arguments that will be advanced on appeal in this case and in frankly all of the cases. Section two thirty is one of those. Section two thirty says that the services can't be responsible for their party content and ultimately, given that their basic business is the delivery of their party content, Section two very clearly casts a long shadow. But I think the First Amendment arguments are even more obvious and in some respects even more troubling. In the end, social media services are engaging in publication of content, whether it's third party content or first party content. The First Amendment applies equally in that circumstance. As a result, to the extent that social media defendants are being held legally liable for their editorial decisions, that sounds like a problem, and that sounds like the kind of thing that an impels court will pay attention to.
Speaker 3: It seems like the allegations and the defenses and these social media trials are pretty much the same. Do you think that Meta has learned from its losses at trial and it may change its tactics here?
Speaker 1: Meta seems impervious to the feedback that it has been getting for a very long time about the concerns that people have with its decision making. It seems to be making the same basic mistakes over and over again, both in terms of how it treats its users and also how it's been approaching the legal risk that it faces. So I don't think Meta is likely to learn any lesson from any particular development. The most likely way that Meta would change its tune is when the investors start putting pressure on it. Meta isn't delivering the kind of equity returns that its investors respect that will catch their attention. I think everything else is unlikely to change who they are.
Speaker 3: A settlement is always a possibility, and Bloomberg Intelligence estimates that a settlement would most likely land in the low single digit billions, perhaps somewhere between four and seven billion. Considering that Meta settle with the FTC for five billion, and Amazon settle with the FTC for two point five billion. What do you think?
Speaker 1: To be honest, I think if Meta thought it could settle this case for seven million dollars and avoid all future liability, it'd probably write that check happily. But I'm guessing that both the state ags and the other plaintiffs inclaring individual plaintiffs have much higher numbers.
Speaker 5: In mind.
Speaker 1: Remember though, in the Bellwether trial, I believe that the one plaintiff in the first bell Weather asked for one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: She ended up with not that much, though the verdict was six million dollars.
Speaker 1: Right, So going back to the evaluation, you know how much is each case worth? And I will note that if there there are three thousand victims who are in either the state or federal cossolidated cases, if the number two thousand, which might be low, overstated, but work with me. If the number is three thousand victims and each was worth six million dollars, which is the number we got from the first bell Wodrow, that's actually closer to twenty billion dollars. That's just for the individual victims, not the state AGS, not the Native American tribes. Single digit billion number is probably quite low if the parties are going to settle, But I don't think that they're likely to settle. And there's two reasons why I'm guessing social media defendants are hopefully they can knock out big chunks of the case on appeal. And also, a settlement would need to be global in nature. It would have to deal with all victims who might have a claim, and there's not a clear path by which the social media defendants can put all tential victims into a single settlement, and without a mechanism to do that, I think settlement is actually quite.
Speaker 3: Remote if there's no settlement. Opening statements are expected to begin on Monday. Thanks so much, Eric. That's Professor Eric Goleman of Santa Clara University Law School. Coming up next on the Bloomberg Law Show. Is the NFL violating antitrust law by making deals with multiple streaming services. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg. Gone are the days when football fans could easily follow their teams on a handful of broadcast and cable channels without buying special subscriptions. Now that the NFL has signed deals with multiple streaming services, Fans have to try to navigate a bewildering schedule and pay a steep cause to subscribe to several streaming services in addition to a traditional cable or satellite bundle. During a Judiciary subcommittee hearing in June, here's how Republican Congressman Jim Jordan described the challenge for a Green Bay Packers fan who lives in Dallas, Texas and wants to watch his favorite team.
Speaker 6: For the twenty twenty six season, the Packers are scheduled to play eight games on Fox, two games on Amazon Prime Video, two games on Netflix, two games on NBC, one game on ESPN, one game on CBS, and one on schedule game that is left to be determined by the NFL. The fan will need access to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, NBC, and ESPN to see the seven game schedule for those services. For the nine games schedule for Fox and CBS, the fan will likely need Fox and CBS because some of the games will be on broadcast television in Dallas. The fan will also likely need Sunday ticket just to watch some subset of the nine Fox CBS games, because the fan will not know which games will and will not be on broadcast until the NFL and relevant networks release the broadcast maps the week of the games. That's what they got to navigate.
Speaker 3: Sports leagues like the NFL can only negotiate these media deals collectively on behalf of their teams because of an antitrust loophole created by Congress just for them. But the Justice Department has opened up an investigation into whether the NFL and other leagues are breaking antitrust laws and driving up costs for consumers. My guest is an expert in anti trust, Harry First, a professor at NYU Law School. Harry, some of our Bloomberg reporters looked into this, and so for a Philadelphia Eagles fan living outside of Pennsylvania to get all the games the Eagles are in, they would need Sunday Ticket at three hundred and seventy eight dollars, YouTube at eighty three dollars, Peacock at thirty three dollars, Fox Won at twenty dollars, and Prime Video at nine dollars, for a grand total of five hundred and twenty three dollars. Yet the NFL claims that eighty seven percent of its games are primarily shown on free over the air broadcast TV.
Speaker 7: I mean, I assume that's true, you know. Yeah, if you just want to watch the Eagles, I mean, it's going to be on free over the air television in Philadelphia. But if you want to watch away games, you know, if you want to just sit there on a Sunday and watch every game out of your market, you're gonna have to pay for it. If you want to watch every time that the Eagles play in LA, it's not going to be on Channel ten in Philadelphia. So yes, if you fly to LA, it'll be there for free too, but not exactly free. So I don't know the number. It's one of those numbers that will convince no one. Obviously, a lot of people are buying this Sunday ticket to watch out of market football games because they just love sitting there watching their team wherever they are on other teams that you can't see on over the AIRTV.
Speaker 3: The investigation is reportedly focused on this antitrust loophole in the Sports Broadcasting Act that allows the NFL and other leagues to negotiate media deals collectively on behalf of their teams. That's the same loophole that the Congressional subcommittee was looking into in June.
Speaker 7: So the lawyer in me doesn't like to call them loopholes, likes to call them exemptions, you know, in nineteen sixty one. Yes, it's interesting to try to think about it, and I'm not certain I fully understand why the over there broadcasters went along with this because they were I think relatively more powerful than the NFL in nineteen sixty one, which was, you know, not the juggernaut we know today. So they allowed the NFL to pool all their TV rights free of any anti trust issues. The law was in some ways less settled then, and maybe it was a little less clear, but they really would have had some problems, and there had been litigation, and I think everyone thought it was in their best interest to negotiate with a single source have this brand NFL Football, which then the TV networks could sell to advertise because you know, that's that's third game. So in that sense, it was a good deal for those two powerful sides, you know, who then got this through Congress. I doubt that the fans showed up for legislative fearings, and you know, in the end, the fans didn't pay directly because those are over the air quote unquote free broadcasts, but someone picks up the tab for the advertising, so consumers do pay.
Speaker 3: You had the congressional hearing in June, and of course politicians on both sides questioned whether the deals now violate that law. Do you think they violate that law?
Speaker 7: Well, in a technical sense, the question is whether the exemption applies to some of the current deals. So if it's a deal that involves broadcasting rights where the broadcast is paid for by sponsors, you know there was advertisers supported, then that comes within the Sports Broadcasting Act. But the current deals that the NFL's negotiating are with you know, platforms are with streaming platforms, pretty hard to see how they're within the wording of the exemption from the Sports Broadcasting Act. So the Sports Broadcasting Act wouldn't give the NFL an exemption. They'd have to go straight under the any trust laws and then the questions whether it highlights the any trust laws. And they got pretty much socked in the Sunday ticket litigation with a pretty clear bonding from a jury. So the pulling of rights apparently keeps some of the teams from negotiating separately to sell their broadcasting rights to you know, maybe other streaming platforms, or put them on YouTube where you know you would just if you didn't want to get a whole package, all you wanted to do was follow the Eagles. You would want to get a package just of Eagles games. But that can't happen now. So they would be in for some litigation if they don't fall within that exemption.
Speaker 3: And why did the judge toss out that almost five billion dollar jury verdict against the NFL in the Sunday Ticket class action lawsuit?
Speaker 7: So there are two answers to this. The first answer that I often would give in class was it's the zeros.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 7: Now that's not a legal answer, but this was probably the largest plane of verdict, certainly an anti trust maybe in any plane of verdict. Four point seven billion dollars before trebling is a lot of money. Now, that can be a reason for knocking down the amount, but that's not what the judge did. He disqualified two of their experts on damages that he had actually qualified at the trial. So it seems a little like, well, let me find a problem with this trial. And interestingly, he did not find a problem with liability in itself. It was on the damages I think. So that case has sort of been sitting before the Court of Appeals now for a while waiting for decision.
Speaker 3: Yes, the oral arguments in the Sunday ticket case. We're back in March before a panel of the Ninth Circuit, so we should get that decision soon. Now. The Justice Department is launching an investigation into whether the NFL and other sports leagues are breaking the antitrust laws with their negotiations with the streaming services. Are the issues similar to the Sunday ticket litigation.
Speaker 7: I don't know exactly what negotiations they have in mind. I mean the Sunday ticket litigation involves an agreement to distribute, and also they add it with direct TV first and then with YouTube that if you wanted access to these games, you would buy it and it would be streamed on YouTube. Now there are other They're licensing Netflix, Amazon On, They're licensing a bunch of different platforms. But the problem is the same without regard to which platform it is. It's the question of you know, is the NFL a single entity or are they a group of however many teams thirty two teams all coming together and agreeing that they're going to sell their rights jointly, pool their rights because each one has the right, you know, the legal right the copyright to the games that they're involved with. So they're pooling all their rights to make a single product called NFL Football. So that coming together is an agreement, and that section one of the Sherman Act. Now, whether that's lawful or not something that the NFL presumably would fight. These sports leagues haven't had a great track record in saying, gee, we're coming together for your good. So I don't know. Now when you say the Justice Department is investigating, the careful approach that I would suggest is there are reports that the Justice Department is investigating, we really don't know what they're doing. And frankly, I'm not sure you know. In looking back at the anti trust history here, I don't think the government has necessarily spent its prosecutorial resources worrying about competition in professional sports. They've usually left it to the people with money in the game, the owners, fans, consumers, things like that. So why are then interested in this? Why do you think, Well, you know the answer the staff report you just mentioned, the House any trust Subcommittee staff report starts out with the quote from the president, there's something very sad when they take football away from many, many people. He said that in May.
Speaker 3: Harry, even with President Trump's interest, this Justice Department has not been, shall we say, strong on antie trust enforcement. They walked away from the Ticketmaster Live Nation trial and left it to the States, who then won. They also walked away from the Paramount Warner Brothers Discovery merger, leaving it to the States to sue. Do you think they would really sue the NFL.
Speaker 7: I don't really see any government group doing anything here because they're just going to rub some important economic interests the wrong way. I mean, honest, see Congress doing anything. The House report didn't say, oh my god, we have to repeal this statute, or oh my god, we have to amend it, or oh my god, we have to do something, and they said, oh my god, we've got to stand here and look, we've got to keep watch and thank you very much for going on recess. I mean, I don't know. Maybe they've got a big investigation going, but there are a lot of big mergers going on in the economy, and although private parties get involved in those occasionally that's really fall into the government to do something about not that they're doing a lot about them, but at least they've got to review them, and they're involved. So they have important or stuff that demands government attention, maybe more than this because we have private enforcement, and the private enforcement's been.
Speaker 3: At work, right, so there might be a private antitrust suit.
Speaker 7: Indeed, I mean that's you know, that's what Sunday Ticket litigation was, and you know, would not be surprising if there were.
Speaker 3: Especially considering that stunning jury award in the Sunday Ticket litigation. Thanks so much, Harry. That's Professor Harry First of NYU Law School. And that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law Podcast. You can find them on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and at www dot Bloomberg dot com, slash podcast Slash Law, and remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Walls Greek Time. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg
Speaker 5: M