Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod meets Tworld, a podcast that began with Dancing with the Stars, wandered through castles, survived beaches, and spent an entire season debating the social hierarchy of cocktail parties, and along the way, Will and I riffed on what I thought was an entirely hypothetical observation, maybe arranged marriage isn't the worst idea. Well, apparently our producers were listening. So now we're watching Married at First Sight season twenty, a show where complete strangers meet at the altar, say I do, and only then begin the awkward process of discovering whether they have anything whatsoever in common. We are Wilfredell, who loves love and believes marriage should be about the marriage, not the wedding, and Rather Strong, who also loves love and made one observation about arranged marriage and is now being forced to defend it for an entire television season. Join us as experts, therapists, family members, and complete strangers all attempt the oldest social experiment in human history with confessionals. This is Pod meets Twirled.
Speaker 2: All or Nothing. How's it going, Will.
Speaker 3: I'm good rider? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: You're excited? To be moving out of the city.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I have my bags packed and I will jump right into an arranged marriage to.
Speaker 3: Get the hell out of the city.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I had no idea that when we riffed on this and we said, like, wish there should be a thing where there's a panel of people that pay this exists, and this show exists. You have watched the show before. I have never even heard of this show. It makes sense that the show exists. I am so on board with it. But tell me your history.
Speaker 2: What's your history with Merit at first sight?
Speaker 4: I started as Sue and I think found it during the pandemic maybe or how young.
Speaker 2: Has it been? So twenty seasons?
Speaker 4: Like I think so, but you know they do two or three a year. It's only been around for four or five years. I think, oh, okay, okay, as my guess, and this came out. I started watching at the beginning. So this came out around the same time as Love is Blind on Netflix.
Speaker 3: This was first.
Speaker 2: This was first. This was first because I have seen Love is Blind.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, my son got really into it last year and right around the time that one guy quoted to Panga without giving I mean quoted Corey into Panga without giving them credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever, that that we were watching it around that.
Speaker 1: Andy got really into it, and I didn't really like that show that much. It seems like a better version.
Speaker 3: Way better than Love Is Blind. This is way way better to me than.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you and your wife started watching it.
Speaker 3: I was buying television in the US for twelve years.
Speaker 4: Married at First Sight has been on okay, So yeah, but I believe we didn't start right at the beginning.
Speaker 3: Maybe we did.
Speaker 4: We again, I haven't seen them all. We weren't one of those people where it's like, ooh, Married at First Sight. But we've definitely done probably five or six seasons of this show. Yeah, and there's some of them where I think, like, legit, the people are still together and have kids and every other thing.
Speaker 2: So it's fascinating, man, I'm so sure.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to see it because it's like, you know, coming from the Bravo verse, from coming from in the City, which was you know, the sense like the judgment, right, Like the process of judging, which we talked about, is like part of the fun, right, You're getting into the gossip, you're kind of judging you're comparing yourself to the people on screen. It was all sort of, you know, intentionally superficial. Like the point is like it's not really that big of a deal. The drama, the stakes are.
Speaker 2: Low in this case.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating, Like, I am so curious how because you know, not only are the people themselves weighing in on like what they're looking for in a partner, what they think about love, and we're getting to see that play out whether what they're saying matches their actions and their behavior, we also have this like these experts weighing in and making the match making decisions, and like, I'm really curious about some of their choices, Like I don't know if I agree with them.
Speaker 4: Is it always these same two people or well, no, these so they might have been on for a few seasons, these were not the ones I knew.
Speaker 3: The ones that I knew. There was literally a woman her name.
Speaker 4: Was doctor Pepper, so that's not even a joke. Doctor Pepper was on for a long time. And then there was a pastor who was the other one, so there's like a spiritual side to it as well, and actually sat next to him on a plane once.
Speaker 3: No way, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to times like I don't want to bother him on the plane, but I literally sat next to him on a flight once, the guy the guy from But no, there, it's it's super interesting. I'd love to know all the criteria. They go over it a little bit, but I'm sure they go very much in depth.
Speaker 3: But I have to imagine from everything I've heard about the dating culture nowadays, of everything everybody meeting online, they're all dating apps. People are lying. It's terrible. I bet you there's a ton of people that are like.
Speaker 4: I don't want I don't want to deal with it. I would love to have a tribunal if people go pick myself. Yeah, I mean I imagine that's that to me is no weirder than all the dating that got with the apps and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the problem with the apps is that like it, they operate on this assumption that you can like explicate your likes and dislikes, and and that those that aligning with another person, like oh, we listened to the same music, we watch the same TV shows, we do the same active that that is like what makes a good relationship or makes love? And I think it can but I definitely do not think it's that's true. Like I actually I'm on the line now. I'm like the speed dating model, which again is opposite of this show. I think you know within thirty seconds whether you will ever ever be able to kiss a person have a relationship with them. And I think it's way more instinctual.
Speaker 2: Than we want to believe.
Speaker 1: Like you know, I would love to intellectualize and say, like I love my wife for X Y D and I do, right, But I don't think that's like the real reason, like the real reason for whatever reason my wife and I at some point we just connect it and we rationalize the parts.
Speaker 2: That don't work, do you know what I mean. I mean we all are so delusional.
Speaker 1: I think humans are so delusional, like fundamentally, and we want to convince ourselves we're in control when we're really not. Like I think we're just animals, and I think it's so instinctual, and I think we rationalize whatever decision we kind of like make.
Speaker 4: Well, we also lie to ourselves all the time so much so it's the problem is that you're on a dating side or whatever, you might think you're being honest with what you want or you might think you know yourself well enough, but at the end of the day, a bunch of other people looking at you going like, Okay, it's interesting you said that to me, but I don't believe that for a second is probably going to be more beneficial than you trying to self actualize what you're looking for in a partner.
Speaker 3: And so there is something too.
Speaker 4: I mean, I always it's a weird correlation, but my voiceover auditions. I if I am left to my own devices and I do a voiceover audition in my booth by myself, I do two takes and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm the man, and I walk out so good. I'm great at this.
Speaker 4: Whereas when I have a booth director and somebody knows what they're doing, they'll be like, what the hell was that take?
Speaker 3: And they're right.
Speaker 2: And so it is.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things where occasionally you need somebody just going you're not as awesome as you think. You're also maybe not as crappy as you think, and so you need somebody there kind of going, no, this is maybe we need to look at this, or maybe you did, or maybe it seems like what you said was was this, but it sounds like you really look looking for this, and we're going to try this because obviously you're now thirty five, you've never had a steady relationship, so what you're doing isn't working, So let me give it a shot and see what happens it. Part of me is like, brilliant, brilliant, man, I get out of my hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would.
Speaker 1: I would totally love that advice too, I think. But I don't know if it's good.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if it works, Like, I don't know if it matters.
Speaker 1: But even after this one episode, we've only done seen three couples, and I think it's a complete roll of the dice.
Speaker 4: Honestly, there's well there's some of them where I think I don't think it's a roll of the dice at all.
Speaker 3: I think it's doomed. I think it's doomed from the start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm so curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, well, okay, so the show begins with a preview of the entire season.
Speaker 2: I skipped this. I did not want to watch this, Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't want spoilers, man, I also don't want to be teased with like mister X.
Speaker 3: I hate trailers.
Speaker 2: I hate.
Speaker 1: I used to love trailers when I was a kid. Now, if I hear about a movie that is good, I don't watch the trailer. I do not want to know the trailer. It's like, oh, if I'm a and I know that, that means I might not like. But I I basically get my movie taste from people's recommendations, you know, like I do not want to see because if I see a trailer, I remember every minute, and then when I'm watching the movie, I'm like, oh, I don't got to the park where this happens, So I didn't want to.
Speaker 4: Even worse, when they show something in the trailer that's not in the movie and then wait a minute, man.
Speaker 2: Thing that's by death.
Speaker 1: They used to do that all the time the nineties, do you remember, because they would just be like, well, that would joke work, but we're not going I'd be so pissed off.
Speaker 2: Yep, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's an extra footage that they just decided to put in. It's like, come on, yeah.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So our show opens. We meet Marissa. She loves love, been to six weddings.
Speaker 3: And she says eight later, so she's already.
Speaker 2: Don't trust her, I don't trust.
Speaker 1: We meet Felippe, who says he's been a goo most of his life.
Speaker 2: I've never heard this phrase. Have you heard this? Sure? I'll go sure.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just us us who have heard of it.
Speaker 2: This guy's funny, man.
Speaker 1: He talks about how he's attractive now because he's worked out and he's getting hit on NonStop because women are just a superficiless man.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, it's also just.
Speaker 3: It's thought about your looks.
Speaker 2: He's This guy's funny, he's got a great personality.
Speaker 3: But do you also notice that he cannot stay still?
Speaker 4: No, I mean he's like moving the whole time and shaking around. I mean, I don't know if he's ADHD or whatever, but this guy cannot sit still.
Speaker 2: He's he's a he's a mover and a shaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and he's definitely like found his call in with a restaurant.
Speaker 2: I think it's so like he.
Speaker 3: Seems to be right and right.
Speaker 1: And then we meet Adam, who we will find out later as a tech guy. There's Mecca who cleans porta potties right out of the gate. I'm like, what's going on there, Devin. We only meet for a second. He's a professional rugby player. I guess we'll get back to him.
Speaker 4: Rugby is a sport, by the way, Yeah that's just that's Is there rugby in America?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, it's a not hugely involved in it, but watching it. Yeah, I mean he's technically probably cricket in America, but we don't remember.
Speaker 1: We find out Felipe runs an Italian restaurant that he brings dates to his own restaurant, and they have this conversation where Felipe talks about forgetting.
Speaker 2: That he cheated. It's just the weirdest thing. I was like, so you just drank too much and then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I didn't even know about it till years later. How do you not know you cheated on somebody?
Speaker 1: I guess maybe he's like he just lied to himself and like believed his own lie after a while.
Speaker 3: Maybe, Okay, weird?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: We meet Bella Jolie who wants to be a leading lady Courtney who used to be a bodybuilder.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll find out more about her in another episode, and.
Speaker 1: We get Adam's backstory about being a tech bro lives in a cabin jet Skis this guy's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Apparently.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't jet ski. He rips the jet skis. We just ripped. We just ripped jet skis man.
Speaker 1: So he said sourking about how he used to want to he was always serious and got tired of girls who parted, and that he's really into discipline.
Speaker 2: This comes up a lot.
Speaker 1: And then he sits down to play piano. First's gonna warm his fingers up. We at the fire, and then he breaks into the Moonlight Sonata, and then we get this guy Nick, who was like, you're really good at thet but that's a long song, and he's like, I'll just play one more.
Speaker 3: Just I don't think Adam.
Speaker 4: I don't think Adam needs a spouse because he's so in love with himself. With him, Oh, this guy is one giant, literal six foot five giant walking red flag. I mean, there was so easy to see some of the comments this dude makes. You're just like, are you kidding me? With some of the ship you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: It's it's so funny because the way the episode starts, when they start presenting him, you're like, why hasn't this guy been able to find somebody he's a catch, and then you're like, dang, yeah, this is why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: Pretty it's not the.
Speaker 3: Biggest one for me. Yeah, it's where I was like, dude, you've got it.
Speaker 2: I know it's a little it's a bummer. Yeah, because it was. It was a downfall. I was like, oh, it was interesting, like he's really figured out a lot of his life.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, no, you don't want to be around anybody else, Like you don't want anybody else's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially if you're not going to rip jet skis man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We get the ladies doing.
Speaker 3: Shots, shots, shots, shot shots.
Speaker 2: But I love that. Who is it is it? Marissa?
Speaker 3: That's like everyone hates them, everyone hates them. If you can do It's like, I haven't done a shot shots anymore.
Speaker 2: I was disgusted.
Speaker 1: I used to fake doing shots. I was just like yeah, and then you throw it over your shoulder.
Speaker 3: But I do shots when I was twenty two. No, I mean again, it.
Speaker 2: Was like, dude, it's the dumbest thing in the world.
Speaker 3: You're still doing shots in your thirties. You need to look at yourself.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: It's just my big agree man, it's not a not a great, great lifestyle choice.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: All right, then we get our first matchmaking session with Paul and doctor Lisa. I would like to know a little bit more about these people in the show is giving me. I mean, they just agreed, but I guess maybe they've been hosting for a while, so.
Speaker 2: But I kind of I don't know, Like I wanted to know a little bit more about, like where they come from.
Speaker 3: What they said the same thing because he said I was a matchmaker on the UK version, Okay, and it's like, all right, but are you a professional matchmaker?
Speaker 2: Do you have any Do you just talk together like a couple's coach too? I was like, is that a like how is that different than a couple's therapist? Do you know what I mean? Like a coach? Yeah, she's a doctor, a doctor of what, Like I don't know your first name.
Speaker 3: Could have done research, seriously.
Speaker 1: I'll change my name legal the dr period exactly. Yeah, I mean, I'm sure we could have done research and been professional podcasters, but.
Speaker 3: That's no fun. We like to jump in naked.
Speaker 2: That's what's so Maddy to do.
Speaker 3: She can tell us about it later, I'll say, so, Paul Carrick Brunson from Merredith Firstite is certified.
Speaker 4: He's a certified life coach. Okay, and trained under prominent matchmaking experts.
Speaker 2: Certified life coaches certified.
Speaker 1: Is there a life coach organization out there? I need to make my own life.
Speaker 2: Coach organization and give out certificates.
Speaker 3: You don't need to write her. You're now certified. Congratulations. I just certified you a life coach.
Speaker 4: You're good to go if I just started the LLC Will's Life Coach Certification dot Com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right, Uh so he's a life coach and what else?
Speaker 3: What is she do? We know what she does. Doctor Lisa Paz is a relationship expert, board certified sex therapist, and licensed marriage and family therapists based in Miami.
Speaker 2: So she has some creds. Okay, so she's a sex therapist and okay, that's a yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm really curious about this whole process. I'm curious, like I don't know, I'm dubious about I mean, I know I all have to see. I mean I know I have to see because.
Speaker 4: Therapist is Hopefully they don't start with the same question that Freud always did, which is tell me about your mother, because I think that would be an entirely.
Speaker 3: Different thing I'm talking about. But yeah, no, we again. All I can tell you from the previous episode of previous seasons that I've watched is some of these couples have been are still together and have kids and have been together for years.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, some of these couples have worked out. But is it better than chance? That's my question.
Speaker 3: It's a great question because I don't know. If you pick fifteen.
Speaker 4: Couples for a show or whatever and two of them stay together, isn't.
Speaker 3: That just odds? Isn't that actually when you suck you do.
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 1: I wonder, like, I wonder if somebody's done the and we don't have to do it now because I don't want to ruin the show, but I do think at some point we should see if somebody has written an article or done the stats and like said, how much this show has actually resulted.
Speaker 3: I believe Susan and I looked it up once. I don't remember what it was, but we had that same question because there was things where it's like, all right, you had ten couples on one of them is still together? Do you need experts for that or can you just throw darts?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't remember, but you don't remember. I don't. I don't, I honestly don't. I don't remember what else.
Speaker 4: If memory serves, they had it was, it was they had a much bigger ratio of not working out than they did working out.
Speaker 3: But I don't remember.
Speaker 2: My instinct is it's chance. Like that's my sense of the world is that you could just you.
Speaker 1: Know, pick somebody in the same sort of category, you know, assuming that's like that you're of the same age, in the same sort of in the same like worldview.
Speaker 2: Ish, did you see that? Just what?
Speaker 3: They have an eighteen percent success rate?
Speaker 1: Okay, so what is how does that compare to like other dating apps or.
Speaker 3: Just the world?
Speaker 2: What the world?
Speaker 3: I mean, eighteen percent doesn't seem good like at all? No, I mean, got my god, if you're if you gonna come out of the doctor with an eighteen percent chance to live, you're right in your will that day. So the fact that it's like, I mean again, you're right, are these what does it take to be an expert?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, he certified a life coach and trained under prominent matchmaking experts. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I kind of like for the first all right, here we got more stats. Seventy nine couples have been matches, thirteen couples are still together.
Speaker 4: That seems kind of like a terrible ratio. But that's a great question.
Speaker 3: What I mean, what's the control?
Speaker 2: You have to have a control? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And how many how many you know dates do people normally go on before they find a part?
Speaker 2: But it's interesting because when they were doing their matchmaking sessions and discussing these couples, I agreed with their insights.
Speaker 1: I thought that they were picking up on kind of the right things about these people. So it's going to be interesting because that's I think that's the fun of the show, right, see now that plays.
Speaker 2: Out or not?
Speaker 3: All right, I have a bit of a problem.
Speaker 4: And it's not a problem, but it's a weird way to look at it where and I get why because it's TV. But nobody's unattractive, I know, you know, it's like it seems like you should just go pick a bunch of people I mean that are average people and just go marry you know, try to marry them off.
Speaker 3: Connect to actual people, and I think.
Speaker 2: That would just be an immediate like people just wouldn't do the show.
Speaker 3: Right, But aren't these aren't people that look like this?
Speaker 4: Aren't the vast majority of people that look like this the people that get matched on these these apps anyway, because they're good looking, they're successful. I mean, isn't the point like the people that the apps are like they never match me with anybody. I can never find anybody. Nobody swipes left or right, whatever the hell the way is on me.
Speaker 2: It does seem to be that a conceit of the show.
Speaker 1: Are a tenant of the show is that these aren't people who are having a hard time finding dates.
Speaker 2: These are people who are having a hard time finding a life partner, right right, right? Yea almost said some version of that.
Speaker 1: They all said some version of like basically, I could get late if I want to.
Speaker 2: I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for a marriage. I'm looking for you know, And that I think that is the class of people for the show, you know.
Speaker 1: In other words, it's not a show that's just finding love or finding it's finding a life partner, it's marriage.
Speaker 2: Right, It's about like I'm gonna we're gonna find you the person who's going to be your monogamous, lifelong partner.
Speaker 3: Who's a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that I think it's yeah.
Speaker 3: Because that's what I mean, like part of me. I'd love to see the people that don't get swiped on. I can't get dates.
Speaker 4: Nobody wants to I don't have this. I have an average job. I'm an average guy, and nobody wants to date me. I want to see that.
Speaker 2: Show married a first sight. I'll go edition.
Speaker 5: Sponsored by to get married wearing uds because all there again, they're all beautiful people, and I get it, it's you have to do it, I understand, But I.
Speaker 2: Mean also because I had the same question about Love is Blind.
Speaker 1: I was like, wait a minute, no, And it was like but because no one would do the show otherwise, like if you literally were doing Love is Blind, and and that is even more like the point of the show should be that there are some ugly ducklings thrown in because it's about their personality, or people that are overweight, but there never are.
Speaker 2: They never are. They're always beautiful, and.
Speaker 3: It's like, but that's.
Speaker 4: With them without looking at them, and then you actually fall in love with them. It doesn't matter who runs out.
Speaker 2: But that show makes no sense to me. I don't know. That's a whole other conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah we have. We'll talk about that later, all right.
Speaker 1: But this one, we're gonna trust the experts at least a little while and see how it plays out.
Speaker 2: They've chosen Adam and Marissa for each other. We learned, you know.
Speaker 1: They say that Adam wants someone fit, he's disciplined, he's rich. Paul asks Adam that goes out to Adam's cabin and asks him the obvious, like why are you here? And Adam says, basically what we were saying is that it's not hard to meet people, it's just hard to find the right person. And Paul says the sentence, you're very controlled, which I didn't know how he meant it, like whether that means a compliment or what. But that is to me the biggest red flag.
Speaker 4: I agree, and to me, controlling, that's what I was going to say. To me, it's saying he's controlled is one thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: It's controlling is the thing that's if he said one more time, either the word train or where he's like, oh, I've taught a number of people how to be great athletes.
Speaker 3: What what does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: Like, it's there's so many red flags.
Speaker 1: This is the guy who like gets obsessed with like teaching his German shepherd, like all the commands in German.
Speaker 2: So he can do all that, and it's just like okay, bro, like you you've.
Speaker 3: Got power, Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 4: This is the guy to me that checks your phone and tells you to give me your phone and I want to see who you're dead.
Speaker 3: Like this, there are so many red He's.
Speaker 2: Going to be counting the calories of what she is.
Speaker 3: Yes, like that, she says, the one hundred.
Speaker 1: He says that by the end of the episode. I watching him reveal himself throughout the course of this episode was fascinating.
Speaker 3: I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Fascinating because you're like, yeah, you are.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's so it's and it's an interesting study, like in how you know you're like, oh, man, like you said, the red flags just keep popping up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so Paul does.
Speaker 1: This thing where he makes him call this girl that he's been saying he's been on like five days with her, and he's like, oh, I could just send her a text but he makes him make the call. And I thought this was interesting because she was upset. You know, she's like, my question.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I have a theory about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because this is the only person we saw where this they specifically went another way to.
Speaker 3: Say, you need to call, you need to do this, you need to do that.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to give the theory away right now, but I'll give it away at the end of it, because it comes back at the end and Okay, now I'm gonna let you know what I think.
Speaker 3: Okay, Because I thought the point of this was just that.
Speaker 1: What he thought of as a casual situation with this woman, this woman clearly thought a little bit more of it, and that Paul sort of wanted to prove that to him by being like, you have to have this comment.
Speaker 2: You have to break up with this girl.
Speaker 1: And the fact that he was surprised by you know, that she wouldn't have been cool with just a text that she was upset.
Speaker 2: Indicates I think that he's a little delusion.
Speaker 1: We all are, you know, Like at this point, I was just like, yeah, dude, that's like I think a lot of people have found themselves in a situation where they think it's casually, the other person thinks it a little more seriously. And I think that's especially if men and women, and you know, on the male side, they're like, we're staying out, you sleep together every once in a while, and the woman's like hoping that maybe it'll be a thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: This was like a classic situation where I'm like, dude, you're delusional about what was going on there. So I thought that was a kind of an interesting moment. So then Paul describes Adam as a knight in shining armor and he has.
Speaker 2: To take the armor off and that he is, uh and.
Speaker 3: It'll be easier to rip a jet ski about the armor. That's the cool part.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then Paul, in his meeting with Lisa says they talk about how he has.
Speaker 1: This giant cat. He wants a woman who can handle cats. Marissa loves dogs but allergic to cats. Would find out learn that her parents had a messy divorce. She no longer talks to her dad and Lisa. Paul call Adam the tin man without a heart.
Speaker 2: So now we have this metal.
Speaker 1: He's a knight in shining armor. He's a tin man without a heart. He's got the heart exterior.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, a lot of ways of saying this guy might be an issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like you're you're like RoboCop, Like what with the metal outside? You know you?
Speaker 4: It's like what And Marissa, by the way, we figured it out soon and I were watching and we're like, God, who does she remind us of?
Speaker 3: Who does she remind us of? Totally reminds us of a more grown up Millie Bobby Brown? Oh yeah, and so yeah, we were like, that's who she reminds us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I guess the idea is that she's gonna open at him up. She's gonna make him more emotional, more vulnerable, and reveal his his his heart or his.
Speaker 4: It's exactly what you want in a relationship as a partner that's going to come in to try to change you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting that the matchmakers are sort of relying on that, but maybe I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know either.
Speaker 1: But then Adam talks about how his parents are hiking in Iceland. They're not they're not gonna come, his sister thinks he's crazy, his grandmother is refusing to fly.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody wanted to be involved anyone from his family wanted to be involved in it. I think I think not only does he done well. This is my totally just complete speculation. I think not only has he done well in business, but I think he grew up with money, and I think probably his parents are like, dude, we're not gonna we're not gonna.
Speaker 1: Be considering that they're on like a three country Yeah, He's like, that's always the way they are, you know, like that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: So my guess is he grew up with money and they're like, dude, we're not going on to watch you get married on.
Speaker 2: A reality show.
Speaker 3: Like it's not going to happen, right, So because for nobody to show up, I mean, come on. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting because then we cut to her and she's got not a dissimilar situation.
Speaker 2: You know, she no longer talks to her dad.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, we get kiss kissed me by sixpence on the suir while she walks on the steps, a little on the nose, say a little a little bit of a I would say, come on, guys, we can do it better. We can do better than I actually recreating she's all that never got that band really this is a sweet song.
Speaker 3: Never got it.
Speaker 1: I saw them live went back in the day and they used to do the song they do a cover of there she goes yea was yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Their next big show.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, okay, okay, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: She gets Marissak, walks down the stairs and then she gets a package from Adam which is a pickleball, ski goggles and a kill switch.
Speaker 3: Worst gift package. For first, I was like, is this a dog leash?
Speaker 2: That's what I thought it was at first.
Speaker 3: Put this sleech, which also kind of.
Speaker 1: Works, But I was like, did he just give her a dog leash? And I thought at first maybe because it was like, oh he wanted the dogs. They talked both dog about wanting animals and do you want somebody? But that was like, yeah, maybe that's really about And then it's a kill switch, which also just sounds weird, but it just jet.
Speaker 2: Ski kill switch because that's the jet Ski.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: This is this is.
Speaker 1: Classic, Like that you think that these activities are going to excite somebody.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I'm sorry, there's nothing even close to sentimentality.
Speaker 4: No, like something something, a flow, anything that's reeks of some sentimentalism.
Speaker 2: I care about what you think. Yes, like literally say these are my activities. I'm gonna teach you how to do them. You better like them, you.
Speaker 3: Get them what I'm into.
Speaker 2: Who cares what you're all about doing? Ask her about herself? And I get it.
Speaker 1: Maybe the point of this exercise. But it's interesting that the other other couples didn't do this. So is this something they've done before?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's all they always do, like the early gift. But I mean it's also supposed to be like a little bit for us, a little bit for you, like the diet.
Speaker 2: He gives him a drama.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like we're gonna start our We're gonna start our story together.
Speaker 3: And I wrote the first page.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, these are goggles, Adam. I'm gonna teat you pickle ball.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna teach you in the back of my jet ski. You don't get to drive, get in the back.
Speaker 3: I'm going to train you to be an athlete. Like what the hell?
Speaker 2: Dude over at his camp. He opens it up and she's given him a bottle.
Speaker 3: He doesn't drink. He's like, that's a red flag.
Speaker 4: Is she supposed to know you don't drink, dude, Yeah, I know, how's that a red flash?
Speaker 2: Just be like yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: And also, like you, it's not like you you just stopped drinking a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: You said, like you're it's fine like other people can.
Speaker 4: You also did it because you didn't like what it was doing in your body. It wasn't like, oh I was an alcoholic or I was dealing with an issue.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that.
Speaker 3: He was like inflammation. And it's like, I know.
Speaker 1: Well, she gives him this journal and her first entry and references microwavable mac and cheese and afternoon naps, which awesome, cancer causing chemicals to the microwavy plastics.
Speaker 3: But we can educate her.
Speaker 2: On that he was so dude, Adam bro.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, exactly where I was, like mac and cheese and naps.
Speaker 1: I've already I have trained multiple people to be athletes.
Speaker 2: Oh it's gonna suck.
Speaker 3: Dude, for poor Marissa. That's all I have to say is for Marissa.
Speaker 2: All Right, We cut to to Tori and Felipe. Yes, we've learned before. He runs a restaurant.
Speaker 1: He goes out a lot, seems like kind of a partier, but he does shower a bunch. Apparently in Brazil they shower a lot.
Speaker 3: Four times a day. I guess it makes lady, but it makes sense great.
Speaker 4: And it's so funny because Sue all of a sudden was an expert on that. I don't know how, but he's like, shower four times a day And she's like, oh, it's because of the humidity in Brazil.
Speaker 3: And he's like, it's because of the humidity.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what did that come of knowledge?
Speaker 2: It's Google showers in Brazil.
Speaker 3: It was so weird.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay, yeah, that information at your fingertips, which is odd, but all right.
Speaker 1: And Torri she they asked her what she would want to say to somebody or potential burner. She says that I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy, which is the first indication. I was like, these people might be good for each other, I know, because he seems like a little wild, you know, and I was like, who this is going to be the person for this. We find out that she likes boxing. Then he says that he likes girly girls.
Speaker 2: We cut to her saying she likes traditional men.
Speaker 1: All right, she likes good food, hosting, having things be a little chaotic. She has this thing where she says a family tradition is the cops getting called. So I was like, wow, wk, Yeah, these two are actually on paper saying the right things. She talks about how she grew up poor and that it's like mandatory that that the family, that the family is important. He says, she has to get along with his mom. So these people are lining up pretty well, and you know, compared to Adam and Marissa, like the whole family being important, which to me seems like a kind of a generic thing. But obviously with Adam and Marissa, it's not like, you know, and that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: You know. I go back and I go back and forth.
Speaker 1: About this because I mean, I obviously, like I have a great relationship with my family. My family's actually very small, though I don't have a big same family, same and I've always wanted a big family. I've ended up only having one kid. But I like the idea of big family, you know, like my wife's family is bigger. I love it, like I But that said, I've never had one, so I don't know how, you know, I'm sure maybe it would try me crazy if I had like a million cousins and tons of siblings and you know, because family can be.
Speaker 3: Tough, can't people Just my cousins were just here from Germany.
Speaker 4: It's so great to have I mean again very close to my family, so seeing that is great. But we also don't have twenty five cousins and you know, thirteen aunts and uncles.
Speaker 3: I mean we were just never like that. So but yeah, the family is important.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a littld Chris rockbit where he talks about where he's like, you can't you know, if you need to have the same interests you need to lead if you go to church, they need to go to church. It can't be like one can't be a church goer or the other can't be a crackhead.
Speaker 3: He's like, it doesn't work. If it doesn't work, and they're right.
Speaker 4: I mean at these two when I started, when I really started, and then we'll get to it.
Speaker 3: When they actually got married, I was.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, this could be the kind of couple of the show so far where it's like maybe they got this one right.
Speaker 3: It seemed like they really met, you know, meshed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were working on paper.
Speaker 1: It was just for me a question of like how they were going to respond to each other in person.
Speaker 3: Right, we'll get there, yep. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Paul meets with Felipe and points out that he was late to both of their meetings and that he missed a zoom he parties. And what I like about this is that it sounded almost like, you know, Paul was chastising him or pointing out something that might need to change about him, But actually I think he was sort of highlighting Felipe's personality and style like lifestyle, which I think actually does match in this case with Tory because she says, like a family tradition is the cops get called, right, so like it actually like it was it was an interesting thing to be like.
Speaker 2: And he didn't really apologize.
Speaker 1: He didn't say like you know, He's just said like I show up when it's important, but this is my lifestyle, like I run a restaurant that you know. And I thought it was interesting, Like it wasn't like a job interview where you have to let just who you are. It was more like Felipe, you are, you seem to be this type of person and.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah he is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that might.
Speaker 1: Actually work for Tory, which is super interesting. I'm rooting for him, and so Lisa doctor Lisa talking to Paul. They you know, she says he has a certain love of life, his family, friends, and she has this great line she says, Tory will be the lead guitarist and he will be the lead sign her, which I was like, I like that that'll work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a little page plant thing going on, that'll work.
Speaker 1: We see Tory getting ready talking about how she's a spray tanded little gremlin.
Speaker 2: Oh that was She's funny.
Speaker 1: And this is where she first expresses that she's nervous that he will run away.
Speaker 2: This comes back a.
Speaker 3: Lot, this several times.
Speaker 1: Super interested. I was like, yeah, she means it literally. She means it literally. She has like a fear of him literally looking at her and turning and running in the opposite, which is so fascinating, Like of all the things she says, like she repeats it.
Speaker 2: Like there's like a trauma. She had a nightmare. At some point, well.
Speaker 3: Started going like even family members sargo that She's like what if he runs away? And they're like that could happen.
Speaker 4: It was like wait, wait what your you're it's no, it's not gonna happen where she's going to turn and run on camera.
Speaker 3: That could happen, That could happen, Like no, oh.
Speaker 2: Oh god?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: With Felipe, his sister, dad and mom come to visit him. They're very emotional, the exact opposite of Adam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy needs.
Speaker 1: To be with his family. He needs her to fit in with his family. We see the same thing with her family again. She asks if he's gonna run, and we cut to bel Jo Lee, who's a Sara songwriter.
Speaker 2: Amazing voice, Oh my god, cut to her singing.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, she's not.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, she's got great talent. Definitely an artist. She teaches dance, she does she's a makeup artist. She has all these different jobs. And then they cut to Mecca saying that he would love to have someone who sarenates him. So we're like getting onto the same page.
Speaker 1: And she talks about how she needs somebody with ambition, and then we cut back in are reminded that Mecca cleans toilets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we learned later he cleans toilets for his family's business.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: So it's you know that's first of all, as a sanitation worker, you make very good money. But now if it's also you're doing that for your family business, it also means you could own the business some day.
Speaker 1: See this is This is I think is super interesting because I I think that's exactly what she's not looking for.
Speaker 3: You think like a blue collar worker, yeah, or just a steady like she does not.
Speaker 2: She actually wants an artistic sort of right right right right, And this is one of those things.
Speaker 1: Like because Alex and I talked about this a lot, because we're both artists, we're both like job to job freelancers, we both are multi hyphenits, and there are a lot of people around us who wouldn't want one of when one wouldn't want to be in a relationship like that, Like sure, they think of that, and they think of that as chaos. And I see a lot of people who are like one person's an artist, the other one's a more stable job like lawyer and an actor or and I totally get that, Like I could see that, and I could see myself in this situation. I actually could probably be with somebody who wanted to be more stable. Sure, I'm not sure if Alex is the same way. I think she probably would only want an artist or somebody who is. I don't she's only pretty much dated.
Speaker 2: Uh, people like me, you know the people who are.
Speaker 4: But maybe she's only dated people like you because as actors, it's kind of what we're you're her two year round and what you're used to.
Speaker 1: Where No, she broke her I will say that her first boyfriend, which was a long term relationship she moved in with him, like during college and stuff, was more of a steady sort of like he was like military than like super like regular. I forget what he does, but it's something you know, lawyer e. They something very like good job, stable, and she left him partly because of that, you know, because she was like at twenty three or whatever, staring down the barrel of.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no, I couldn't. I don't want this in my life. So but I think I could be.
Speaker 1: I think I could be with somebody who is like a lawyer or maybe even doesn't have a job, you know what I mean. Like I'm not, but I'm And so I look at Belle jo Lee and I was like, she's gonna hate this about this?
Speaker 3: Oh you think?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Wait, which is interesting because I think personality wise, he is her type he's flashy, he's interesting, he's funny, he's got tons of personality, so he's like, he's like artistic in his personality.
Speaker 3: He was getting a little much towards.
Speaker 1: The end, I know, but but I can see why they were like sholl over the fact that he cleans toilets because he's a steady paycheck. But I disagree. I don't think she cares about that. I think she's gonna want somebody. Okay, that's my hot take on I immediately I was reminded that he cleaned toilets. I was like, shit, he's good for her in every other way, but I think she's not.
Speaker 4: Gonna Like artistic people tend to gravitate towards other artistic people.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I think it can go because I would, you know, like a regular paycheck would be nice for a lot of our course. To know that somebody is stable and that that's gonna be there for you is like the other side of its magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he does say at this point, he references that he's a model, which they don't get into too much.
Speaker 2: So maybe he is kind of artistic. I don't know.
Speaker 3: He talked about how he's a good looking.
Speaker 1: Guy and he wants a female version of him, which I was like a little weird, but then got to her and she says she wants matching outfits, so I was like, Oh, these guys are kind of aligning.
Speaker 4: Can I also tell you a new trend that seems to be happening in the last year or so?
Speaker 3: I can't stand is the things on the teeth.
Speaker 2: I know for a while, has it been longer than that. I just it's like the distracting.
Speaker 3: It's distracted.
Speaker 4: It's all I'm staring at is these like fake diamonds on teeth, and I've seen them in a bunch of reality shows.
Speaker 3: Now it's all all the island.
Speaker 4: People are doing where they're putting these things, and it's just like, dude, knock it off.
Speaker 2: I can't handle face tattoos either.
Speaker 4: I don't like face tattoos either. No, it's but I'm also you and I disagree. I also don't like nose rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can handle piercings. I don't like. I don't like nose rings.
Speaker 2: I like you. I like all face piercings are fine for me. Oh yeah, to me draw your attention. That's that's problem with the face tattoos.
Speaker 1: Your nose the while I don't I don't do.
Speaker 3: It, but yeah I do. It's like, why why are you doing that?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, uh we find out that, uh, Mecca grew up in a broken home. His step mom then left his dad and took his brother and sister with her, which sounds awful and tragic for him.
Speaker 4: And there's a story there because it's like why split up the kids something.
Speaker 1: Belle Julie her mom is her best friend, but she also just did not have a relationship with her dad. So you know, these guys are kind of in this in similar ways, Like they seem like they have similar broken home backgrounds ish things. They both kind of want to rewrite their families, which is that they want to stay together for their kids. So yeah, on paper, you know, Paul and Lisa they're like putting, you know, putting these things, these people together.
Speaker 2: And then they say this line. I think it's Lisa says.
Speaker 1: It that Mecca at his most actualized might be perfect for Bellejoly and that was interesting.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's a weird way.
Speaker 3: I thought so too, I thought, but I love how the other how how.
Speaker 2: Paul was he's like, that's the way Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: He's like pointing out earlier, Yep, that's that's a great way to say it. That's a great way to say it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's similar to like what you said about the Adam thing.
Speaker 1: They're they're expecting somebody to change somebody else or or in this case, for somebody to change, like he will have to actualize himself in order to be in this relationship.
Speaker 2: That's a risk, man. I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: The one of the things that Susan and I always talk about is the fact that one of the things we loved about each other from right from right away and then grew is that other than little things, which is totally normal, neither of us had to change the person we are to be with the other person, right Like we didn't have to change napping during the day.
Speaker 3: All that stuff worked.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like, Okay, I want to be with you and I love you, but you've got to change blah blah blah blahlah.
Speaker 3: It's like none of that totally. And again, little things happen, but that's it.
Speaker 2: A lot of that is being older too.
Speaker 1: When you meet do you know what I mean, because you guys you were already in your thirties, right, Well, no, when we first met in late twenties.
Speaker 3: I was twenty three twenty four when I first.
Speaker 4: Met, okay, But again then it was you know, we've been together now fifteen years. So the second time we were together and started really dating, it was that's when we really got into it. And it was one of those things where it was it was just like, I don't need her to change anything about herself, and she doesn't need me to change anything about myself, and that was one of the best parts about it. So, yeah, the idea of like she's gonna be good for you because she's gonna make you better at the blah blah blah, it's like, don't I agree.
Speaker 3: I agree, it's a bad omen.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think here's what here's what I'll say to that.
Speaker 1: I think actually, you and Susan probably did change a lot, it was just not conscious.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is conscious change. If you're consciously like I need to change who I am to be with this person, or I need that person needs to change to be with me, that's where you are problems. But I do think we make adjustments, we just don't do it consciously.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe you're right. I don't know, because I was thinking about it. I was like, I think I probably did change a lot.
Speaker 1: And you know, from the outside, people might say like, oh that, but if you have to, if it's a conscious thing, that's where I think you run into problems because you start having resentment.
Speaker 2: But I think if you just adjust to each other's speed, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because like I just like, like I find it funny, like I walk so much faster than my wife, and it's like it's such a thing, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like you just like people have different different paces.
Speaker 1: And then I walk with like I go because we like we go hiking, right, we go backpack and we go hiking. I'm always like half a mile ahead of her. And then I go backpacking with like my guy friends. Oh yeah, you're like I am the slowest hiker, and it's like you just realize, like, yeah, we all have kind of a pace, do you know what I mean? And we either like meet each other, we like match up, or we don't. But if we left to our own devices, we really do.
Speaker 2: Just like get miles apart from each other.
Speaker 1: And so I think if you like, if you're expected to make conscious effort and you're like really have to like run to keep up, it might be too much, you know. But if you can just fall into a pace together and be like, oh, you know what I mean this metaphorically like in the relationship, in all the different ways, you just like, I don't know, that's my take, but I get it.
Speaker 2: I can't think you changed a lot.
Speaker 3: Probably I probably and maybe just didn't know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is the best way, right, It just happens. It's like a little Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I worry about these sort of conscious like we're gonna bring these two people together because this bring out the best or the worst. But anyway, bel Jolie's getting ready. She says, if he wore white, that'll mean he's an artist.
Speaker 2: And he is wearing white. He's also not wearing.
Speaker 1: Socks socks, he's got spiky shoes on. But I do like his confidence with his friends, and he's like, as we again, no, I'm not wearing socks, like you know. It's funny because he's confident in all these like out talkie ways, but then it seems like he has some central insecurities, you know, like he's really worried about not being accepted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot going on there, and I think by the end the personality was starting.
Speaker 3: To push a little bit, I know, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, I think he was nervous. I think it was.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Back to Torrian Felipe wedding time, he walks out immediately just says hi everyone, and he keeps he keeps putting everybody at ease, which I just think is totally his personality.
Speaker 4: And I wonder if they asked the cast here to change up something that has been in the show a lot, because some of the couples, not all, but some of the guys would walk down the aisle and instantly turn and introduce themselves to either the dad or the mom of their future partner. Hi, I'm so and so none of them did that. They stood up there and they're like hi, but none none of them walked over. And we're like, hey, I just wanted to do it, and that's happened several times in the past, and I don't understand why you wouldn't do that. So I'm wondering since none of them did it if it was a producer note of like we're gonna stop doing the introducing yourself to parents they just wanted.
Speaker 2: To up there, didn't or like maybe no risk.
Speaker 4: But again, it's one of those things where there were several couples in the past a lot where the you know, the guy especially would walk out because he's out there first and instantly go over to the dad or the mom, introduce himself, shake their hand like it was very respectful.
Speaker 3: And none of them did that this time.
Speaker 4: So I'm curious if that was a producer note or if they just didn't do it.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious too, because I mean, if it's a producer note, they did it in order to protect the people who show up without their family with maybe yeah, and which is in two of the three couples, yere I have complicated family situations where it would be maybe awkward if they did that.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, I thought it was interesting the way that Philippe was Felipe was just immediately like trying to make everybody else feel good.
Speaker 2: Just immediately put himself in a hosting mode. Yeah, I was like, this guy's great, this guy's funny.
Speaker 3: And then well, that's what he does that. You know, he probably in the front of the house of the restaurant. That's what he does.
Speaker 2: And then she she's back backstage. I wanted to say, by the way, I guess it's backstage in a way.
Speaker 3: She brings up that he might run away again.
Speaker 2: It's just like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: She is got this on the brain.
Speaker 4: I'm dying to know how many people have literally turned and run from her.
Speaker 1: Well, he turns around as she walks down the aisle and says, you're stunning because she is. You laugh.
Speaker 2: They immediately are He's.
Speaker 1: Open, He's funny. She makes this comment about being happy that so many friends and family showed up for Felipe.
Speaker 3: Is he the one He's the one who said wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, She's just like wow, and everyone started to laugh. It's great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He makes a little speech about you know, when we argue, I will probably try to win, but I will get you the best table in the house and the dessert that you want, which I thought it was great, you know, And then they have this b moment where there's some in her veil and.
Speaker 3: He calls her babes.
Speaker 1: He's like, your babes, that that's funny because that could be either one of those things.
Speaker 3: It's going to drive her crazy or that's what he's going to call her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love that. Somebody says like, oh, he's already rescuing.
Speaker 3: It was the efficient already rescuing you yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they're pronounced and he says, let's hug. They hug, but then they kissed too, and I think they have chemistry.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty great, you know. And as we're walking away, she says, you're so hot in private, which was nice.
Speaker 2: You know that she sort of saved it for when it was.
Speaker 4: Just them because I was worried about that. I was like, oh, is she not as attracted to him as he is to her? Yeah, because I did I know you didn't listen to the preview, and I don't want to ruin anything. And frankly, I don't know who it is. You hear a voiceover in the preview of a woman telling a man, and I have no idea who it is, but a woman telling a man I'm not I'm not physically attracted to you. Oh no, Yeah, So it's like I don't know who what couple that is.
Speaker 2: But when I first saw it was like hell yeah.
Speaker 4: But then she's like, you're so hot, and I think she was genuine when she said that. So I think they're I think they're attracted to they're right now my favorite couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, they seem like they seemed like well paired on paper and they felt you feel chemistry.
Speaker 3: Yes, agreed.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, cool, Like so yeah, I'm optimistic about these two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know too.
Speaker 1: All right, Then we see Mecca getting ready. He's got like, you know, kind of a rowdy group of guys, lots of laughter, and then he's alone with his dad and his grandma and the you know, they they seem sweet. His dad got to be a little much by the end of the episode, but at this point, I.
Speaker 4: Wait, too much, like he was like trying to make it about himself wedding and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Dude, sit out. I was seriously like, sit down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little weird. It's a little weird that he like got up and gave a speech.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know when they cut to Belgiolie and she's got like her flashy jewelry on her necklace, I was like, these dudes do seem right for each other and they have like a lot of the but she does not want to kiss on the lips.
Speaker 2: She's insisting on the cheek.
Speaker 1: Kiss fair then yeah, But then Mecca's dad says, if she gives you the cheek, it's weak sprung man sprung, and he's really just set his son up for not a great situation. It yeah gives she says in the car, She's like, she's not going to do it. I hope that it doesn't turnish his ego. She's already made the decision and Mecca's trying to play it by ear with his pressure from his dad. So this ends up being kind of a.
Speaker 2: Loaded situation, which is ye, yeah, yeah. It feel like if.
Speaker 1: Nobody had talked about this, yes, let it be, the probably would have worked itself out.
Speaker 2: You just would have not kissed and not thought about it, or kissed and not overthought it.
Speaker 3: But now it literally says, oh, if he gives you the she gives you the cheek.
Speaker 4: It's so like Jesus, you're already there's already you're saying it's bad if you don't.
Speaker 3: She doesn't want to kiss me right there at the wedding, Yeah, he's yeah, did the first couple kiss. Yeah, they did. Okay, that's what he.
Speaker 1: They so Felipe said, let's go for a hug. They hugged and then he pulled out kissed her on the cheek while he went in for the hug, and then they actually He's like, OK.
Speaker 3: Let's kiss.
Speaker 1: So they kind of checked with each other, so they did like a hug cheek, then they actually kissed. So yeah, but Mecca is super nervous and bouncy.
Speaker 2: She comes in.
Speaker 1: She says, Jesus helped me. Everybody laughs. There seem to be, you know, into one another. They're both beautiful people, you know what I mean, Like they're there they clothing in terms of their types.
Speaker 2: That's like, these guys seem right.
Speaker 4: But I feel like, I don't know it felt you think you think it's still gonna be it's gonna be his job.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's just like I don't know. I think the job is a big thing, but it's gonna become I don't know. I feel like he's trying too hard in this moment, and I'm hoping that he can calm it down because like she talks about being a foodie and he immediately says like I'll lead tentacles or whatever, and it's like, I don't know if that's the right, Like he goes too far, you know, and I think it's nerves.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think ultimately.
Speaker 1: Like there might be something about him that just rubs her the wrong way and able to say is cleaning toilets, but in part it might be cleaning toilets.
Speaker 4: I get kind of the same vibe a little bit with Mecca as I do with Adam, And I don't mean anything red flaggy about Mecca, but what I mean by that is how they look on camera is also in their mind, Whereas Felipe to me, seemed like he was kind of all in, like he was just kind of there where these guys are like pushing it for the camera as well, like.
Speaker 3: Adam needs to be the cool, in control guy.
Speaker 4: And Mecha kind of needs to be the fun, like I'm cool kind of guy.
Speaker 3: But it's like.
Speaker 4: It it matters how they come off on camera, and that's a whole different vibe than if you're just there to get married, yea. And it seemed like Felipe was just kind of about getting married and not about being on the show. And they're also thinking about being on the show, and I think that taints it.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: It's a good way to put it, actually, yeah, I would say just try hard, right, yes, yes, exactly exactly. Well, they have their kiss moment and she really kind of sticks to her cheek thing, like pointing cheeky geek, So he respects that, and then she has this moment of like, hey, I just met you, and they sing together this is crazy, which is cute.
Speaker 2: That song comes on the soundtrack.
Speaker 1: And they walk out, and then he immediately starts expressing insecurity, saying that the family seems like they hate me. Yeah, and then he brings back the cheek week tongue sprung thing from his dad, which is haunting him. And I really really blame his dad for yes, bringing this up. Also, like you said, kind of overtaking the ceremony itself, making it about.
Speaker 3: Him standing up and making a speech. It's like you make your speeches after it's not about you right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We cut to Marissa and Adam mom with Marissa. She gives her a diamond bracelet. She didn't Marissa did not invite her dad to the wedding. We don't know the exact history, but she says, we don't talk anymore. So I was thinking like, yeah, you know, this kind of works with Adam's situation. But then she's bringing out all these little alcohol bottles to be shot with.
Speaker 2: Her friends, and I was like, oh, this is not going to go over there.
Speaker 3: No, here's the other thing.
Speaker 4: If you're thirty, you should never take a fireball shot in your life. Fireball is for when you're nineteen and you rated somebody's liquor.
Speaker 1: Cac she was, I know, if she was doing champagne, I was exactly a deal, because it's like, you're just a classy drinker who happens to be with a guy who might not drink. But when you're doing five ball shots at your friends and this is it might be more of a like you're a you're like a party drinker.
Speaker 2: This is what you do for fun and this.
Speaker 3: Is like gas station and this.
Speaker 1: Is yeah, that's not gonna fly with with you know, the guy who's worried about chemicals and the microwavable plastics like.
Speaker 3: And it's just again, it's just the whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of like this is all not not.
Speaker 3: Going This is gonna be bad. This is going to be bad.
Speaker 1: And then he cuts to Adam and they're like, how did you feel about the gives And he goes, oh, she got me a journal, but I read a lot.
Speaker 2: I'm a gentleman and a scholar. Six' five by the, way.
Speaker 1: What, yeah they give off your height when you're trying to describe yourself as a, reader, gentleman, Scholar he, says six to five by the, Way like those things don't counteract when it's, like what are you talking?
Speaker 3: About everything this guy says is horrifying so. Much, dude what are you?
Speaker 1: Doing?
Speaker 2: Dude, yeah what are you?
Speaker 3: Doing? Yeah, yeah He you.
Speaker 1: Know it's funny because he talked about how he doesn't you, know he's always been so seriou about, wife so he doesn't go to like frat, parties and he didn't want to go to like BUT i actually think that's probably where he would meet the type of woman he actually, wants which is probably someone like kind of younger who wants somebody who will mold them into a better per.
Speaker 3: Submissive yes, exactly you, know a better person into his, version.
Speaker 1: But that they will let, him you, know that somebody who's just LIKE i NEED i need a sort of father figure, Person like that's where you meet those, women, Dude like you actually meet them at the parties and, like you know WHAT i, Mean like the sorority he's like is going the wrong, way like by trying to find a, matchmaker who's gonna find like somebody good On he doesn't want somebody good on. Paper, now you want somebody who's like a blank slate who's probably on the younger, side not physically but, mentally do.
Speaker 2: You know WHAT i?
Speaker 4: Mean and probably not the person in the world exactly somebody loves.
Speaker 3: Exactly you're, smart you're like a. Genius, yes, YEAH i don't.
Speaker 2: THINK i don't.
Speaker 1: Think somebody who wants to contribute to her own, pages to a journal with him is what he's looking.
Speaker 4: For and he's given her goggles because he wants to rip it on the jet.
Speaker 3: Skis it's like she wants he.
Speaker 1: Wants he wants somebody with her arms wrapped her around. Him well he drives the jet Ski, yes you know that she's just along for the.
Speaker 2: Ride that is his.
Speaker 4: Life, yeah and he even wrote bonus points if you can tell me what the red thing is and the thing you're, like, really come, on, dude.
Speaker 3: Pop quiz qu here you.
Speaker 6: Go can you tell me the calorie content of microwavable? Popcorn if you can answer that, question Then i'll have some with. You but only, yeah only a quarter of a serving Because i'm. Counting, no this is, yeah you're.
Speaker 4: Exactly this is the guy who is, like you're not having dessert tonight and would pull the dessert away from Her like that's this.
Speaker 1: Guy it's like, No AND i wonder how much of his family just finds him insufferable and that's why they're not, coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah or they're all like.
Speaker 1: This, well he ends up walking down the aisle with his friend's, girlfriend which is just. WEIRD i was kind of like just walked on the island by. HERSELF i don't. Know she's worried that her friends might be drunk again on a great.
Speaker 3: Sign not a good. Sign and then.
Speaker 2: She pulls, up walks out and they know each other.
Speaker 3: Around and she, SAYS i know. Him, okay my.
Speaker 2: Theory here's my.
Speaker 4: THEORY i think the girl that he called earlier is going to be one of her, friends even tangentially obviously not a good enough friend to be invited to the, wedding but somebody where she's gonna be, like, oh he like date he was kind of like with a friend of like SOMEBODY i knew, from which is why they put it in the.
Speaker 3: Show, interesting that's My it's a total shot in the.
Speaker 4: Dark but that was WHAT i said To. Susan she's, like oh my, GOD i wonder if that's.
Speaker 1: It that's a good call BECAUSE i just think they're so LIKE i don't, KNOW i don't know how the show, works But i'm, like could they just call it off right?
Speaker 2: Now if they know each? Other wait?
Speaker 3: SOON i said the same.
Speaker 4: Thing it's, like can they, say, hey we dated years, AGO i we don't like each.
Speaker 2: Other. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah saying what you're saying is more interesting because there would have been a reason for them to have not even considered dating each.
Speaker 2: Other do you know WHAT i?
Speaker 1: Mean, like because OTHERWISE i would, say like the way that they, reacted if they know each, other that they're they're not into, it like they they would have pursued it if they could, have so it might just be.
Speaker 3: Over it was such a good ending to the. EPISODE i was so.
Speaker 1: Pissed, As, oh they're just gonna have turned around and that's, It and THEN i was, like, no they're gonna turn around and set us. Up all, right we're in in line and sinker my.
Speaker 2: Friend all, right, well this is gonna be a good. Season. Man i'm really think so.
Speaker 1: Too i'm very. Curious SO i think we were in. Agreement Then adam And, marissa it's never gonna.
Speaker 3: Work, ever gonna.
Speaker 2: Work Mecca beljerlely probably not gonna. Work probably.
Speaker 3: Not BUT i Am.
Speaker 2: Here's the. THING i really like Both belgilely And, YES i actually like.
Speaker 1: Them both as, people AND i THINK i think THAT i understand why the matchmakers made the choices.
Speaker 2: They, did BUT i think they messed it. UP i don't think they're Gonna.
Speaker 4: Here's one THING i will say about the shows That i've watched. Before it's usually the couple you don't don't think have a chance that are still. Together, Right it's the weirdest. Thing but, Yeah i'd also like to start a new little, segment if that's, okay called what an?
Speaker 3: Arrangement and what it is you.
Speaker 2: Have to, say Like tony d?
Speaker 3: Arrangement oh, no it is some of the most famous arranged marriages throughout.
Speaker 2: History oh, Great so.
Speaker 4: We're going to start today With Marie antoinette And louis the Sixteen, yes both partners in the arrangement had parents before them looking to wheel power and For Marie antoinette and The Austro hungarian, kingdom marriage With louis the sixteenth Of france was intended to push back efforts By prussia And Great britain during the eighteenth.
Speaker 3: Century the two were married by.
Speaker 4: Proxy their union was one that was built the unity of two, kingdoms but later devolved into scandal and then both were eventually executed during The French.
Speaker 2: Revolution by? Proxy does that mean they got married without even seeing each? Other?
Speaker 4: Correct so we would get married and what you would literally stand with somebody else and they give your, vows and somewhere else in another kingdom they do the same.
Speaker 3: Thing and then you'd find each other in the. Middle so that's how it.
Speaker 4: Happened but they the rumors were that they grew to be very much in love even when all the scandals and The French. Revolution that apparently it worked and then.
Speaker 2: They lost their. Heads, wow is?
Speaker 3: It what an? Arrangement what are the reach old.
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 2: Right you've been listening to the pod meets?
Speaker 1: Twirled the vows have been spoken, of the experts have weighed in and our completely off hand conversation has now become a season long.
Speaker 2: Commitment we'll see you next. Time trap your smoking
Speaker 3: The colog