Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Please welcome front of the show.
Speaker 2: Marcus spears Marcus, Yeah, right there, Marcus looks like he's in game shape.
Speaker 3: Do you think you give me a couple of downs?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah. My wife a couple of weeks ago was like, I'm tired of you being.
Speaker 3: Fat, but you made a living being that way.
Speaker 4: You didn't make a change then, yeah, yeah, but I don't have to make that living anymore. So you know, it's a it's a it's a heavy burden to try to get weight off.
Speaker 2: Man. The biggest player you played against was who Larry Allen? Okay, yeah, but he was just a teammate. Yeah, that was practice. Yeah, that was double teams in practice.
Speaker 3: That was that's a bad day.
Speaker 4: Yeah. My first game actually was against Willie Rolfe when he was in Kansas City. Now he was one hundred years old, but it did not feel like it. It did not feel like it felt like he was twenty. So what's different about somebody that size? Well, yeah, I mean, look, my job in my defense was to hold those guys up so our linebackers could make plays. So imagine somebody asking you to hold up four hundred pounds sixty times like we you know, I was in the league when we when they ran the football all game like I wish I played now, probably be a lot healthier and a lot more mentally stable, but ultimately it was it was what I had to do. Wait, yeah, yeah, the game made me that way really Yeah, how some because you had to psych yourself out, damn like you know that man like you was covering it with. You had to psych yourself out to play against like Willie RoAF and take double teams from Flosia Adams and Larry Allen every day in practice, and you know Clint Ports and Washington running it sixty times and Ron Dane hitting you in the face mass every time. You know, look green Bay, we here in Green Bay, as BJ Roger. How it was, Yeah, it was? It was different.
Speaker 3: What was the game? What was the day after game day?
Speaker 4: Like lay in the bed, It was just a it was a lay in the bed fast and like it took me a couple of years for me to believe my strength and conditioning coaches about you need to move when you feel horrible. So it was very difficult for me to like put my mind around go and take like jogs and lift some weights the day after the game. But as you get older, you realize it worked for you.
Speaker 2: So I were Jerry Jones, I guess he's all in now with maybe what they're gonna do with the you know, with trades here with the draft.
Speaker 4: We couldn't get five minutes, six minutes.
Speaker 2: And but well you played, you played with the Cowboys, and that's the only that's the only reason why I bring that up is trying to understand the inner workings here of.
Speaker 4: But it's like it's like a It's like when you're in a relationship and the man keep telling the woman I'm gonna get better, right, and she realized, like it's we're fifteen years in now you still trying to do those things that you said you will go get better at. I'm just going to wait and see with Jerry Man, Like, but.
Speaker 2: Why even teas that you might do that? Why not where's the element of surprised?
Speaker 4: Because Daan Patrick is going to ask me about it, Like, listen, it is I think the intentions are good, and I say that all the time, right, their intentions are good. And then Jerry gets off on another tangent and he forgets that he has to run a football team. So, yeah, it's unfortunate. There's something I gropple with most of the year since I decided to do this job.
Speaker 3: Okay, cam Ward goes number one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Daniel Jeremiah said that it's a certainty that Travis Hunter is going to that leaves the Giants in kind of an interesting situation. Yeah, because I like Abdul Carter, but I need to know more about Abdul Carter with his foot. Ye, but I wonder if they're open for business of maybe somebody going up and getting Ashton Genty a little bit higher. And three, why not just throwing it. This is the rebirth of the running.
Speaker 4: Back I know, but they just you know, first I let miss I think they'll go. I think they'll take Abdue Carter. Okay, let me say that. Let me put that out there. Ashton gent needs to reach out to Saquan and Christian McCaffrey and Derreck Henery and be like, I should appreciate y'all brothers man like for bringing us back from the dead man. Two years ago, we were having a conversation about running backs not being needed in the NFL, Like it's a crazy world when they transitioned like that. But I think you know what happened. You know, defense has got smaller and faster, and everybody wanted to get physical.
Speaker 2: And I said there would be a market correction because all of a sudden, it's like, you can't stop our running backs because on Wall Street will there be Yeah, I need your help. I'm struggling right now.
Speaker 4: No, look, man, I think generational pass rushers is what they've attached to. Abdul Carter right, And he doesn't like the comparisons of Michael Parsons, but unfortunately, when you turn the field mo on, you can't tell them apart. And Michaeh has given a really good sample size of what that type athleticism, what that type of burse can do in the defense. And him being opposite of Brian Burns and big Dexter Lawrence in the middle, he'll get a lot of one on ones. And last time we saw the jo I know, Eli and a great play get a lot of credit.
Speaker 3: But that d Lion won the Super Bowl for him.
Speaker 4: So it's hard to pass that up, man Like, it's hard to pass that up, especially if you think you're gonna get a guy that's gonna be a consistent ten ten to twelve sacks a year. That's hard to pass up. And you not sure on because remember the Giants. Now I made know at all season long, but they took sa Quan second and that that was an impactful individual position while he was healthy. But that D line is Hey, man, I tell people all the time, if you don't start up front, I don't care if you got I don't care who it is.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I looked at the Eagles that you put the combination of offensive defensive line start there. Everybody gets caught up in quarterback or wide receiver whatever.
Speaker 4: Because it's boring, Dan, I know it's boring. It's boring to talk about the big uglies.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how does that work on when you guys do NFL live? Yeah, and let's say you do want to talk about defensive line, because this is a draft that's full of defensive line. That's not sexy. No, it's not sexy. But I don't care, like I mean, yeah, but they have a rundown here.
Speaker 4: I don't screw the rundown, right, I got, you know, I got, But honestly, man, like the people that I work with, especially on NFL Live and not to cast in this personal anybody else, because we get a deeper dive of football like that show is getting into the weeds and the nuts and bolsa football like Mina is a D line in that heart, the smallest person on earth, but she loves talking about the line of scrimmers. Dan only wants to talk about quarterbacks, so he keeps us a happy medium. Man RC played defense, so he gets he understands played on one of the best defenses ever in the in the league. So I think a lot of times and I'll produce. I gotta get Mark Asman a lot of credit, like he understands where I fall. When it comes to making sure that we get our good conversation about what's happening upfront, I will not. I will fight it to the death to talk about D line and offensive line play more than more D line play.
Speaker 2: Though he's Marcus Spears. You were twentieth overall picks, so you went before Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, unfortunately, Yeah, Well why because I mean Dallas was stupid not to take him.
Speaker 2: Were they going to take No, No, there was no thought of taking you.
Speaker 4: No, they didn't need a didn't they didn't at that time. They didn't feel like they needed a quarterback, and Romo turned out to be pretty good for some years. But you know, it's hindsight twenty twenty, right, Like, if I was drafting again, I would take Aaron Rodgers before me. Okay, right, basically, what would you do with Romo? He probably would never see the field, go somewhere else and play. You know, I thought.
Speaker 2: Romo was a very underrated quarterback. He was like, if he doesn't get hurt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll play five seven more years and have a chance at the Hall.
Speaker 3: He might be a borderline yeah, borderline yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately got hurt. Fortunately he got signed by CBS.
Speaker 4: Cool. But you know what, the law. The law works mysterious way. Buddy. Let me tell you something. If I had to hurt my back to get that, I would have did it. I would have done it too.
Speaker 5: Straight up.
Speaker 3: You'd fake an injury. Yeah, absolutely. But do you believe anything you hear this week the.
Speaker 4: Draft in the next twenty four outside of the first guy, No, Like, we kind of pretty much. That assimilates a couple of weeks leading into it, and you start to realize, like, Okay, this is for sure so I think the only shock would be if cam Wore didn't go first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the Giants wanted to go up and get him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Which leads me to believe they're not gonna.
Speaker 4: I think they'll sit at three and wait for the best player.
Speaker 2: If Shodoor Sanders was Shadoor Thomas.
Speaker 4: Uh, maybe it'll be different. Listen, here's my take on Shador. Right. It falls in a little bit of line with C. J. Stroud. Right, we're talking about that athleticism, and he doesn't have that eyepop and stuff that you see now in the league where players are the Josh Allens of the world, George Love here, Lamar, guys that can get out, create and do phenomenal things. He plays the position at a high level, though, Like and I get it that it is Colorado and he went to Jackson State. You gotta figure out what the competition was like. But watching him play the position, you see a lot of traits that translate. Now, is it third overall translation? I don't think so. Like I didn't. I didn't. I didn't think that that was that high. I didn't think Daniel Jones should have went six. But people, you know, you either fall in love with these guys or you don't. But I think Chador could be one of those guys that ends up going late, goes to a really good situation where he can develop and become a really good starter in the league. Now, damn, ninety eight percent of them fail. Like, this is my thing about the draft. We all get here, like all these dudes gonna turn into Hall of Famous, like four of them do every every year, no matter what position, Like four of them really turn out to be franchised changers. Right, Most of these guys in the first round they end up being really good starters or or they start and they play well and they are important pieces to these organizations. But the conversation around the draft is if he gonna is he gonna be the face of the franchise? Is he gonna change the team trajectory? The answer most of the time is hell no. Right, But when you're drafting a quarterback, you're putting a lot of stock into this guy becoming what you hopefully think he can become based on your projections. I don't think Shador lacks any of those things that you think you can turn him into a really good starter. Now, it matters with coaching, it matters with situation. It matters like even here right Green Bay. I remember how y'all were acting when George Love got drafted. I'm not gonna look I see the crowd over there, I'm not gonna look at us, right. But I was one of the ones that said, like, at what point do you start the contingency player? Like do we wait till these guys literally die to get a new quarterback? No, you get a guy, you bring him in the system, you let him sit, you let him groom. He was behind a guy that won two MVPs while he was here and air, so it was it was perfect. Now you walk into the Green Bay Stadium, it's number ten jerseys everywhere, right, So I think there you should have a plan. Pittsburgh is still waffling because they didn't have a plan. Right. So if you gonna take these guys late in the draft, or even if you're New York and you just signed Russ and jamis right, and you decide at some eleventh hour that Chador is gonna be the guy, well he still can sit and learn, Like, we're not paying these guys fifty million dollars before they show up to the facility anymore. You could, you could handle the financial part of it. So I don't, I don't. I don't see anything about Chador's game that tells me he can't turn into a really good starting the league. I mean, think about it. Darreon Olowski played thirteen years.
Speaker 2: No, he was on a team for thirteen years. He was on a team for thirteen years.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 4: I mean so so a lot of teams thought he was serviceable.
Speaker 3: As a backup. I don't care, or a backup to the backup.
Speaker 4: That was just a shot that day.
Speaker 3: I know, Yeah, he takes enough shots he do.
Speaker 4: It doesn't stop. It's gonna be fair.
Speaker 2: But you know the only reason why bring up you know when you talk about Shudor is in today's NFL. As Steve Young says every time he's on the show, there is so much real estate out there for you to go get. The defenses are giving this to you, and if you don't have somebody who can go get that, you got to find somebody who can.
Speaker 4: Go He can go get five to seven though, like bro, think about it, So.
Speaker 3: He's where do the athleticism got? Leon took all of it.
Speaker 4: I know if any you know, the Lord was like, I gave you all of it yours, but but you skip a generations, like my dad is only five to ten. You know what I'm saying. That suns for him. But again, man, like you look at you, look at you, look at these we always have to be first of all, Steve Young is Steve Young. So Steve was and people forget like Steve Young was the first like dual threat killer right in Randall Conneham. These guys have been around for a long time. Like we it's so public now because we got media everywhere that we think that Lamar and Josh and all of these guys are first. The amount of athletes that played quarterback were and you got to think in the generation of most of those quarterbacks that before this group of guys now they were all two three sport athletes. That was the thing to do when we were growing up. You played basketball, you played, you ran track, you played so they weren't just quarterbacks. But I look at it. Can you go get me five yards on the third and four and we dropped back, can you get me eight to ten? I think chaduer can do that. He's not gonna break a home run. But how many of them really can? I mean, there's a few of us, but man, we talking about like six play it's thirty two teams.
Speaker 2: Okay, but those are the elite quarterbacks, those are the teams in the playoffs, those are the teams winning super.
Speaker 4: I mean we would, we would all get them if they were all out there. It's supplied to mad like I just I don't. I don't. I can't subscribe.
Speaker 3: But that's my only hold up with sor.
Speaker 4: Yeah but we but but how then? Literally what you just said, right, thirty two of them is like seven of those guys you're not gonna find. I don't think cam Ward is a standout athlete.
Speaker 3: He's pretty good. He is, He's always pretty good.
Speaker 4: But if you're gonna compare me yelling at each other, I don't know you. You just made me mad. But if you if you gonna compare them to Josh, you gonna compare him to.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, getting five yards is Steve meant?
Speaker 4: I saw Jared Golf get eighteen yards? I saw uh, I saw who else? I'm thinking about old old man in La right now, Mate, Matt took off a couple of times, like we don't have to. We don't have to like think that these guys got to be four four us and and you know we've been for years trying to get Josh Allen not to run through people face mask so we can watch him play for the next fifteen years. Right, So yeah, Dan, stop man, Okay, all right, all right, it's just not enough of them.
Speaker 2: Why don't you take this enthusiasm to NFL Live today? I will all right, that's a tease. Yeah, he's a Marcus Spears and uh he'll be with Dan Orlovsky's good buddy Mina comes Ryan Clark Laura Rutledge today at for Eastern and extended editions Thursday and Friday beginning at three Eastern.
Speaker 3: I love you man, always great to see you.
Speaker 4: I love you brother. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: Matt Lafleur, the Packer's head coach who joins us on the program, is in season. There, come on in Coach. The Packers went eleven and six the number two seed Eagles. They lost to them. Hi Bud, good to see you. So sit down. We got a home field advantage here.
Speaker 6: I know, nine o'clock in the morning, drinking some beer.
Speaker 4: They only in Green Bay.
Speaker 3: They started showing up at three point thirty in the morning for tomorrow night's draft. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to draft week, are you any different than you are in other weeks preparing for the draft?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean you're juggling.
Speaker 7: We have our first phase of the off season programs, so right now we're doing it virtually because of just all the people that are congregating to Green Bay, and so you're just kind of juggling that schedule and doing the last second setting.
Speaker 4: Of the board.
Speaker 2: But in dealing with the media, in what you say and how you say, because you don't want to tip your hand, sure are you?
Speaker 3: Like how good are you at lying?
Speaker 6: Just depends who you're asking.
Speaker 3: So, like, let me say, who are you drafting?
Speaker 7: Well, that's a great question, you know, That's what I usually say, who are we drafted? I'm sure you've done a mock so no, no, no, I'm only somebody here.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, we do not. We are mock free. We are mockless.
Speaker 4: But some that I.
Speaker 7: Watch and I look at and I'm like, I hope not. And then there's others that I get really excited about.
Speaker 2: So but you have to It's almost like you're preparing somebody for a deposition. You're just like, okay, let's create a mock draft. Now how do we react to that? So you would go through scenarios, probably in real time, where somebody goes all right, cam Ward's off the board, Travis off the board, Ash and Genty off the board. So then you get to where you guys are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know that's something that our scouting department does more than what we do as a staff.
Speaker 2: Oh So you wouldn't get together in a room and go, okay, if this happens, then we do this.
Speaker 7: No, but our scouting department does all that. Okay, So we focus more our time. Like I said, it's it's phase one of our off season programs. So the majority of our time this week is dedicated to our players.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Mel Kuyper about this, and he said, why do coaches and gms put more faith or credence in things that happen after a season is over?
Speaker 3: So they haven't these guys haven't played any games.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe the Senior Bowl, and Mel said, you know, you're trying to get guys playing against guys who will play in the NFL, because there are guys who are playing against guys who won't be in the NFL and trying to understand just how good somebody is.
Speaker 3: So how difficult is that to go?
Speaker 2: Ashton Genty, I see him and man, he's dominating, But is he dominating against guys who will play in the NFL or Shador Sanders playing against somebody or a wide receiver? So how do you then kind of read between the lines of that guy's legitimate.
Speaker 7: Well, I think you always are looking for certain traits at every position, and obviously there's a lot of testing and the guys are doing less and less of that, but you're just looking for traits. I do think it becomes more of a challenge when you're maybe at some of the lower levels, when guys just absolutely dominate the competition. It's easier when you're looking at some guys that are coming from some of these SEC programs where there's just more NFL talent on the field.
Speaker 3: What are red flags to you?
Speaker 7: Well, it just depends is there's character issues that come up, Because I think if you get good people and that love the game of football, and that's always the thing that you're trying to find out throughout the draft process.
Speaker 5: But if you get guys that love the game of.
Speaker 7: Football and have high character, I feel like they have a chance of reading reaching their ceilings.
Speaker 5: So that is something that we're always looking for.
Speaker 3: Okay, but what could you ask me that is going to reveal?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean there's a lot of background that goes into these guys, and that that's where you rely so heavily on the scouting department. And certainly there's relationships that you have with people at schools, whether it's other coaches or whoever, and you're always trying to get people to give you the truth.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Matt Luflor, the Packer's head coach. How often have you gone out for a game and you know it's going to be cold?
Speaker 5: And it's almost every week?
Speaker 2: But but you have to put on a good front. You have to be tough, you know, right, you can't be like all bundled up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're right. So what I've learned is it doesn't matter. It's all about layering. So I might have like seven layers of clothes on now they might be very thin, but I like to wear a vest usually out on the field. But if I'm in a full coat, you know it's cold.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you have good hair. How important is it to make sure that the hair is not covered up?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, it just depends. I try not to wear a hat, but sometimes I do. Yeah, if they make hats that I like, then I'm more apt to wear them. Sometimes they don't always make the hats I like.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you got good hair.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that. Then you know what, you've got great hairs.
Speaker 3: I have great and I have gray hair too. It's great.
Speaker 6: And mine's coming in. It's starting to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How long did it take you to get over the loss to the Eagles?
Speaker 6: I mean you got to flip the script pretty quickly.
Speaker 7: Obviously, it's it's disappointing, but I think that when you look at them, I think they were the best team probably in the NFL, and they proved it.
Speaker 2: You know, we start, we do get caught up on quarterbacks and wide receivers and all of that, and really it's offensive and defensive lines.
Speaker 6: That's a big, big player.
Speaker 7: I mean, you look at they were dominant up front on both sides of the ball. Certainly we had a heart our time blocking them and also conversely getting pressure on the quarterbacks so they are built the right way.
Speaker 2: The brotherly shove that the Packers came out, Kins, would you have liked that to have remained anonymous that there's a team, that it is.
Speaker 5: What it is.
Speaker 7: We might have had some nudging towards that, but I'm not really going to get into that.
Speaker 2: Did the commissioner say we need somebody to speak up?
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think the commissioner wants this. No can I can I say what I think happened. Sure, Okay, I think the commissioner nudged you guys to say, look, if you have a grievance, put your name to it.
Speaker 3: I'll owe you one. And because I don't think he wants that play to stay in the game.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not a great football play.
Speaker 7: And then certainly when you look at what happened in the Washington Commander game where Frankie Louvus launching over.
Speaker 5: The top, which I mean it's a tough play to stop.
Speaker 7: We've actually had more success and we had some studies ran We've had more success with a traditional quarterback sneak than we have with you know, whatever you want to call it, brotherly show.
Speaker 2: I think Philadelphia is still going to be dominating with the quarterback sneak. I agree because that line in that quarterback.
Speaker 7: I mean, they do a great job and I mean Jalen Hurts can squat the house.
Speaker 5: They do a good job of just you know, win in the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 7: It all starts right there and they get really low and they've they've perfected it.
Speaker 2: Take me back to the Jordan Love Draft. How many different players did you have penciled in for that draft?
Speaker 4: Pick?
Speaker 6: What picked? Were we?
Speaker 5: I can't remember, uh what pick? Yeah, I'd say twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How many players did you have on the board that you were thinking of taking if the draft played out how you thought of it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there was certainly a couple.
Speaker 7: And I think, you know, it's a credit to Goody and his staff just having that vision of if you don't have a quarterback in today's game, you're you're screwed, So let's just throw it out there.
Speaker 5: It's just tough. So you need to have that position solidified.
Speaker 7: And we're lucky we got him because I think he's a He's not only a great player, but I think he's an even better person. And I just love the energy comes in with each and every day and he works his tail off and he's continuing to develop as a leader.
Speaker 2: It's like taking a test, but you don't get your grade till three years later because you draft him and then you sit him and everybody is like, you know, you wasted two years with Rogers, or you don't take a wide receive? Were you taking a wide receiver?
Speaker 7: Yeah, potentially if the right guy was there, But who would that have been?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean there was some good ones, so I know I went he went won before, Yeah, I believe. So I think San Francisco traded up.
Speaker 3: Would you have taken Ayuk if he was there?
Speaker 6: I think potentially.
Speaker 7: I mean I don't want to speak for everybody in our organization, but I think that certainly would have been in the discussion.
Speaker 6: I think Jefferson went, yeah, Chase.
Speaker 7: We knew he was going to be gone, so but yeah, Jefferson was right there in the wheelhouse. So I mean there's always you better have a few players that are kind of there for you. And I think the controversy of that whole deal was that we traded up to go get Jordans. If we would have stayed there picked him, I don't I think it would.
Speaker 5: Have been less. Obviously, it still.
Speaker 7: Would have been a big story, but I think the fact that we went up to go get him.
Speaker 6: But I do think obviously it was the right decision.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I understand that, and I thought you guys would.
Speaker 5: I love Yeah, I need I need that support from my packer fans.
Speaker 3: I think you're good.
Speaker 2: I think you're good on that, but you you have to place that call to Aaron.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how was that interesting? I think he was shocked.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll play and you call me.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, oh hey, hey coach, what what what happened?
Speaker 7: I don't think that was the worst, Like, what the bleep?
Speaker 6: I think there was more of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, so what the bleep just happened? I will say, I mean, whether that was why or whatnot. But he did go out and had two pretty damn good years back and back.
Speaker 3: Yeah you pissed him off?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah. What memories do you have playing for the Omaha Beef?
Speaker 7: Oh, the Omaha Beef probably the rump Roasters, which were these three hundred pound men, three hundred plus pound men that would go out there at halftime and perform for the crowd.
Speaker 3: That's what you remember.
Speaker 5: No, not really, but I just thought it was a good story.
Speaker 3: What kind of quarterback were you for the omahak Beef?
Speaker 6: Probably not a very good one.
Speaker 7: No, I just I was kind of a run around guy and can make some plays with my legs.
Speaker 3: Do your players ever bring up your career?
Speaker 4: Now? Do you ever?
Speaker 7: I'm they do behind my back and it probably make fun of me a little bit.
Speaker 3: But do you have your Omaha beef jersey?
Speaker 4: I do not.
Speaker 2: Damn I'd love to have that. I'd love to hang that in the man cave. Yeah, that never found your Omaha Beef.
Speaker 7: I don't think they. I mean, I think the budget was a little bit different. They probably were used it for the next five years.
Speaker 2: So sometimes we get caught up in oh, you never played the game, but you played the game you didn't play, you know at the NFL level.
Speaker 3: Sure, how much does that impact you?
Speaker 2: Do you think when you're especially when you're calling plays and trying to put yourself in the position of Jordan or Aaron.
Speaker 7: Well, I think having the quarterback background certainly helps. I think it allows you to kind of see the game and feel the game through the lens of the quarterback, which is I think most play callers are trying to do. And how do you set that guy up for success and ultimately score as many points as you can? But you know, I don't think it necessarily matters. You've seen great coaches that have never played football that go on and have great careers, and you know, but I was fortunate for my time. I started out of Western Michigan as a as a walk on and was a receiver, and then when I transferred to sag in the Valley, I didn't really know if I was going to play quarterback or receiver, and it just it worked out that way, and I started for three years and we had a lot of fun.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Dan, I got a couple of updates about coach Lafora's time at Omaha Beef on Beefootball dot Com.
Speaker 9: As always so already was before you got here coaching.
Speaker 6: Are they still rolling right now?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, you.
Speaker 9: Went into the Hall of Fame in twenty twenty four, the Beef Hall of Fame.
Speaker 7: Yeah wait man, around of applause, probably my proudest accomplishment.
Speaker 4: And Dan Also, if.
Speaker 8: You go to their website, you can get custom jerseys, so you could have one made for yourself.
Speaker 7: You know what, maybe my wife can do that for me for my birthday or something Christmas.
Speaker 3: That'd be nice, nice little beef gift.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: It's great, see you, thank you for joining us, and good luck with the draft.
Speaker 3: Who are you taking it again?
Speaker 6: That's a great question.
Speaker 7: A lot of unknowns in this draft, guys, a lot of unknowns.
Speaker 3: So wait there they are right there.
Speaker 6: It's who are we taking?
Speaker 2: I you guys, tell me I don't know you, I don't know pick twenty three. You don't normally take a receiver. Now you're going to take a wide receiver.
Speaker 7: What do the fans want? I'm sure, I'm sure they want some wide receivers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 7: So I go to my kids basketball events and certainly somebody will just slip me a piece of paper with their pick for us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, and then you could go, oh oh, I never thought about that.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: I never would have known them. Man, maybe you get a wide receiver. We'll see, Okay, thanks for joining us. He is Matt Lafleur the Packers head coach. Thanks an, thank you coach.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live draft coverage YEP with the first pick. The biggest names that know about every player and every team. You've got it right here, God listen. Ass Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer, former New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas, college Football Hall of Famer and former number two overall pick, LeVar erringtechag and Fox Sports lead college football reporter Jenny Tap delivered a pick fine pick coverage. Good Night, Fox Draft Night Live lives right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: He's Doug gottlie the University of Wisconsin Green Bay head coach, host of The Doug gott Lieb Show on Fox Sports Radio, as well as we make way for the head coach.
Speaker 3: Love the Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Product placement. You got everything that says Wisconsin Green Bay.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yeah, that's the job.
Speaker 3: Don't need a wardrobe, you got it.
Speaker 5: I actually don't. That's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 10: It's like, you know, money wise, everybody says, how further the dollar goes in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Then you throw in that you don't actually ever have to buy clothes. You just wear a DSGB gear and you're saving money on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: If I said two years ago you'd be sitting here and we would be talking about your first year as a head basketball coach, you would have said.
Speaker 5: What I would have believed that.
Speaker 10: I'm not sure I would have believed Green Bay or how everything transpired, but yeah, I mean I felt more and more prepared to take this on with every passing year because I invested more and more into not just the craft of broadcasting. And you know this from It's no different than a radio show or a TV show.
Speaker 5: Or when you're calling games and you've done it.
Speaker 10: There are people that do it and there are people that live it right, And I felt like I was a guy that really lived it and really kind of invested in, Okay, what's this process? I actually like, how do you put together as skyty import how you and all the things that I had thought I had known as a player and studied some as a broadcaster, I'd gone to a deeper dive of because I just had that burning desire every time a game would be done. Every time you just left with this hollow feeling. There's no win, there's no loss when you're broadcasting games. So as much as there was a lot of pain this year, there's still you're alive if you're feeling that pain and you feel very much alive when you're coaching.
Speaker 3: What did you not expect that happened?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 10: How long's the show? Honestly, the hardest part is at the start I learned it, and at the and I learned it. I'm not great at saying no to people I care about, and between when you're hiring people and it's not going to work and you have to not hire somebody, or not offer a scholarship to a player that a dear friend has sworn by, or then at the end when despite the fact that the kid is a great kid, you got a part company because we just have to get better. We still are in the We want to form great men. We want them all to graduate from gb We want to be productive members of society.
Speaker 5: We wanted to have jobs here. We got win some games, and so.
Speaker 10: You know, sometimes those guys shake your hand and walk out the door and put themselves in the transfer portal. And you're legitimately sad you're going to miss them because they're good human beings.
Speaker 5: They filled up your life with good energy.
Speaker 2: You win four games, and I'm curious of you and your radio show, your reputation. How much that impacted, how much criticism you received by just winning four games.
Speaker 10: Oh, I think it was ten to twentyfold what anybody else at our level ever got. We say this around the office, and I say it in recruiting. There's pretty much eleven college basketball teams that people care about. There's the ten best and then there's us. Right, it's the ten best, and it's it was wild.
Speaker 5: I mean, we.
Speaker 2: Had But do you think that it felt like ESPN was going out of its ways?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And others and others, yes.
Speaker 10: But yes, I mean it it was crazy, like yes, like FanDuel was tweeting a record like I have no relationship with FanDuel. I've never said anything critical of FanDuel. You know, the companies that we work for work with other companies other than FanDuel, But they were constantly posting like our record on their social.
Speaker 5: Media pagient, like what is the deal with ESPN?
Speaker 10: I mean, I guess it's it's people defending Adam Schefter for a tweet which was categorically false, you know, so yeah, it did. It felt personally the tweet. Well, Schefty had tweeted that sach State had fifty million dollars in nil uh and they were going after Mike Vick as their head coach.
Speaker 5: And it's just laughable. It's just laughable.
Speaker 10: And again my point, and I quote tweeted back replied to him, and it was like a nothing, you know, It's like it's one of those things where you tube bad, like come on shifty, like you know, it's like one of those check your sources. But I should have just texted him or DMD him.
Speaker 3: Can you not help yourself in situations like this?
Speaker 5: I'm way better than I used to be.
Speaker 10: Well, way have you ever seen you ever seen the evolution of man poster? He has know the evolution of man poster? Right where you go from like hunched over to where we are now, I'm somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: Dan, But you can't help yourself.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 10: When I was at when I left ESPN, that was bad, you know, like I just you know that feeling because you've done it, you did it before me. Where you leave and you fear irrelevance, right, because when you're there, you're trained that this is the only.
Speaker 5: Thing that's relevant.
Speaker 10: This is the only thing I'm in sports that matters, Right, So I would say, yeah, I was totally addicted to social media when I left ESPN went to CBS and it definitely ran me a foul there because their perception of how real social media is, how much it matters, I think skews in a direction which is not accurate. I think they think that's like the end all be all. They think the Richard Ditsch's of the world matter, and they don't. Right, So I'm better now. But again, sometimes it's just like he didn't need that one, right, didn't need that one. But the point was that like Sacramento State having fifty million dollars then an L and never, Hey, my bad, somebody told me something that is And I'm the bad guy for pointing out that everyone in sports that follows Adam Schefter knows that he just cut and pasted a text from somebody connected to the university that's not accurate.
Speaker 5: And it again, this is where you get.
Speaker 3: Do you think any publicity is good publicity?
Speaker 10: Yeah, unless it's like your personal life, your sex life, or some of the stuff that's going on with other people.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about your sex life's let's not.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlieb, the University of Wisconsin Green Bay head coach.
Speaker 3: But if you look.
Speaker 10: So, I'm thinking of your word last night and so now it's in my head.
Speaker 5: I'm struggling. Don't do that to.
Speaker 4: Me, David.
Speaker 10: But you get Dan has a secret word, yes, the secret word, and he planted it and everybody and do you guys know what.
Speaker 4: An earworm is?
Speaker 10: The earworm of a song, Like I have an earworm of that word, and like, just do not say that. Do not say that. You want to keep your jab.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you keep you know you're going after Lebron or Lebron.
Speaker 5: I didn't go after Lebron, Okay, I never went after.
Speaker 2: The Lebron's son couldn't play for years, had guards.
Speaker 5: I did not hold on. I didn't say he could not play.
Speaker 3: Your team.
Speaker 5: I didn't think he would start, Okay.
Speaker 10: Yeah, in hindsight, yeah he probably would have started, not over Anthony Roy Like, hey, just see you know Lebron Anthony Roy everge thirty a game. He's leading the country in effective field goal percentage, he's a walking bucket.
Speaker 5: He's an amazing, amazing young player.
Speaker 10: Okay, so that's my comp My comp was, I don't I never thought that he's a point guard, Okay, and you know that the he's not better than Anthony Roy And it was Jeremiah Johnson who was the top one hundred and fifty kid who's the same age as Bronni And like, you're defending your guys as part of it. But yeah, like I thought he would have to compete to start at Green Bay. In hindsight, when he started, probably, yeah, he's a good player. Like at the mid major level is where he should have gone. I stand by that he should have gone to Ducane for a year and played for Lebron's like best friend, gotten his confidence and then if you want, so, this has been such a dog and pony show, and Lebron's gone around the country, you know, chastising Stephen A.
Speaker 5: Smith and tweeting me for.
Speaker 10: No reason, because all I've ever done is been honest, Like sorry, I saw your son play in the Mission League. He was not one of the ten best high school players in that league. He was the best high school leaue in the country. But he wasn't. I didn't say he stinks. I didn't say he can't play. I never said he can't play at Green Bay. Just the evaluation was completely false. He wasn't a No one was fighting over him to be a second round pick. JJ Reddick saying he earned all of this, Like what are we even talking about? So again, if he develops into an NBA player, great, If this path makes him into something that we didn't see coming, awesome, But like, don't bs us and then chastise us for giving honest basketball opinion, right, I don't think I made it personal.
Speaker 5: And then he quote to.
Speaker 10: Me and here's.
Speaker 5: The crazy part about it.
Speaker 6: Here's great.
Speaker 5: Did you know I signed Lebron? Did you guys know that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Last night sign we signed Lebron Thomas, who's first team Junior College All American. Right, super talented kid. But you'll love the story. So in the process of recruiting Lebron, he's at Vincennes Junior College and his parents are in South Carolina. So the day before the dead period where you can't go out and see people during the final four, I flew down to South Carolina because, like, if you're going to send your baby to green Bay, Wisconsin to play for me for two years. Like, you're gonna want to face to face and meet the guy, right? So I go down and I meet his parents and they're lovely, and we're walking out from a restaurant in Columbia and his dad grabs me. He's like, hey, coach, g one more thing. What's the deal with Lebron tweeted at you?
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, is.
Speaker 9: This gonna be a problem.
Speaker 5: It's like no, no, No, I think it's great. We'll have Lebron played for you and Lebron tweeting at you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 10: The point is in the any publicity is good publicity. We use it in recruiting where we're like, hey, if there's one hundred people who are now tweeting and caring about green Bay basketball who never did before and really don't now they just want to tweak us when we're down. If seventy five percent of them eat their words next year, that's seventy five more people than ever cared about green Bay basketball. And my players come to my defense because they know we're doing the best we possibly can buy them and we just fell short too often.
Speaker 2: Do you want to set the over under PAULI for Wisconsin Green Bay wins next year.
Speaker 4: Let's go they had four. I'm going I'm going twelve and a half.
Speaker 3: Twelve and a half.
Speaker 4: That's aggressive.
Speaker 5: Twelve and a hook.
Speaker 3: How about you, Seeton? I taking the over or under on that you're going over under. I'm a believer. I'm going with the over.
Speaker 2: Dug, Okay, I got you, Dug probably like thirteen yeah, yeah, like a big believer, but like thirteenth.
Speaker 3: That's a massive improvement. Yeah, ok, tot, what about you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see fourteen fourteen?
Speaker 2: Marvin with over also, yeh, twenty plus anybody I know Dan's going eight. No, he did say that he would double his wind total though, Yeah, yeah, you did guarantee that.
Speaker 5: We're going games next year. Yeah, We're going. We're going games.
Speaker 3: How many games do you think? I don't what's the successful Just give me a successful number.
Speaker 10: I I never said that before, So why would I said now? Because I'm asking successful season for us is we want to have a bye in the Horizon League tournament. Okay, we want to have a buy one of the that's one of the top five seeds in the Horizon Leaguement.
Speaker 2: By the way, didn't you critique Caitlin Clark's shooting form.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, yes, but.
Speaker 3: See that that's where you're like, no, what.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 5: No, what do you mean know?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Hold on wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait wait I could critique her show.
Speaker 5: No no no no no no no no. How many divisional men's v log ya.
Speaker 2: If you ever have a shooting car oh I to play now to understand shooting?
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 2: Again, I haven't coached a game, correct, I probably can coach and win four games?
Speaker 5: Again, yes, I could probably win five.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, see.
Speaker 11: Just in the in the in the in the sake of fairness, what you are the guy Dan who told Ray Allen he was shooting the ball wrong to his face, to his face? You did you did say you know you're doing that wrong?
Speaker 3: First to his face?
Speaker 10: First of all, what was the actual tweet? What was actually was? It was the tweet she can't shoot?
Speaker 3: No, or you talk about her form?
Speaker 10: She was shooting the ball from the less other side of Kevin Durant does and it's a no he does not the end, not in the end, right, Okay, but she wasn't. She has she had a little Lonzo ball and she since adjusted it, And the point of the tweet was, it's amazing how much work she's put in to shoot through a shooting flaw. Okay, to shoot through a shooting flaw, where like Klay Thompson like, that's how you're supposed to shoot a basketball. That looks like the picture of how every person's supposed to the basketball. There's no Reggie Aloysius Miller, you know, shot the ball with two hands.
Speaker 5: It's not but he shot through a flaw.
Speaker 10: It actually shows he has greater work ethic and confidence because no matter what how you're supposed to do it, he did it so often and with so much confidence he could make it in spite of it. Okay, but if you watch Caitlin Clark's form, now take a snapshot of it. Take a snapshot of it last year when she was heading into the WNBA, she's changed and fixed her shot. People don't want to hear it because I was a bad shooter in college. My issue was one, I was a HEINZ fifty seven guy. So many people making suggestions that it was constantly moving around, and two it became a self confidence thing. But if I couldn't physically shoot a basketball, I wouldn't have been recruited by the number of schools that was recruited by The shooting issues didn't stop us from winning.
Speaker 5: And oh yeah, by the.
Speaker 10: Way, they didn't actually occur in terms of fundamental flaws.
Speaker 5: But look if.
Speaker 2: Out there that's my job, it doesn't a head coach.
Speaker 10: It wasn't as the head coach. That was when I'm just a radio host and basketball analyst. Go check the time stamp on it.
Speaker 3: Give me the time stamp on the Okay.
Speaker 5: That was?
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 10: That was before I became the head basketball coach at Green Bay, and since I've become the head basketball coach, we talk about the same thing we talked about. Do we do we fix a guy's shot and change his form, which you have to strip it back down and then build it back up, just make adjustment to it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think may first, what day did I get the job?
Speaker 4: Dan? Thank you?
Speaker 5: So what was my job at the time that I made the tweet?
Speaker 3: Your job was to be a radio host.
Speaker 10: And college basketball analyst? And oh yeah, by the way, like this is the amazing thing about me. Whether I like it or don't like it, the reality is that I do have this unique ability to draw.
Speaker 5: Reaction to draw reaction, you do, okay, you do? So, okay, I just I stand by my analysis of a shot. Okay.
Speaker 10: Her three point numbers had gone down when she was at Iowa, and they were lower when she was in the WNBA, And by my assessment was because she was so good, she was getting guard further and further out and she was shooting further and further out.
Speaker 4: Yet.
Speaker 5: No, but you do know who her boyfriend is, right, Yeah, Connor McCaffrey.
Speaker 10: Okay, do you know Connor McCaffrey's dad is Yeah, Okay, you know he recruited me a Notre dame. He's like a second father to me, is a mentor to me. So yeah, like I'm, I'm We're good. It's not like Kaitlin Clark's going around. She's not like Lebron James or she's so insecure that she wants to tweet at me.
Speaker 3: Right that that should help you today?
Speaker 10: Well, it's the reality, Like why are you tweeting about me on your day off?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: He's Doug Gottlieb.
Speaker 2: He guarantees said least thirteen wins or something like that.
Speaker 10: Hold on, can I I know you got to go on? Yeah, Uh, you guys were awesome last night. I mean, let's be honest, Frank was really awesome last night. He carried, he carried the thing. But I truly appreciate, not.
Speaker 3: Just understand how to be stocked in to Malone.
Speaker 2: It's it's you should know this when you you assist somebody.
Speaker 4: That's what it was doing.
Speaker 5: You accompanied.
Speaker 3: It wasn't you said, he carried the show.
Speaker 5: That's worth I was tweaking you the way that you always tweak me.
Speaker 3: Sometimes your words hurt dog. I was working your words hurt dog.
Speaker 5: I was working my way. I know your shots beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thank you couldn't guard a soul, but I never said I could.
Speaker 5: That's right, you are who you can defend.
Speaker 10: But I mean, like, first of all, I think you see from the outpouring support from people you know here at the bar to when you're around town. It means a lot to people of Green Bay that you guys brought the show here by the show.
Speaker 5: And it means and.
Speaker 10: You know, Polly and Seaton and I we used to be right next to each other in a cubicle at ESPN, And I mean to go from there to where you guys are here and to still be honestly gracious with your time last night. I true truly appreciate it. Look, I get it, like the numbers, the record wasn't good.
Speaker 5: We're gonna win. It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 10: But your just support of showing up is awesome, and it's mentorship and friendship.
Speaker 5: I truly appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that he's Doug Gottlieb feels like PAULI may have written a little bit of what Doug just said there.
Speaker 4: I mean, I proud of myself.
Speaker 3: I was the feeling. I mean it had a tinge of sentiment. There.
Speaker 5: He was amazing. Is the singing voice he brought down the house?
Speaker 3: No he can't say. Okay, I gotta go, Doug Gottlieb.
Speaker 1: Everybody be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 3: Please welcome the great Frank Kelly and new.
Speaker 4: There he is.
Speaker 2: He's done it again. Mister Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: Is that I'll take it?
Speaker 3: Yes, you're from here?
Speaker 4: Uh yeah.
Speaker 8: I grew up in Waukeshaw, Wisconsin, right outside of Milwaukee. I went to the went to Waukeshaw South High School, and you were a catcher.
Speaker 4: I was, yeah, I was.
Speaker 8: I was a zero tool baseball players pretty much what I was, all right, I uh they I could hit the fastball a little bit. As soon as I got a curveball coming at me, it was, you know, screwing myself into the ground. And then, uh, I couldn't throw down to second base. You know, you want to have like a one eight, one nine throw down to second base. I was two five something like that, so I didn't get many runners, but there weren't.
Speaker 4: You know, it's Wisconsin. There's some slow people, so I still got some. Guys. I'll tell you what, man, I went gruding on.
Speaker 9: Hatch and I'll tell you what man, or what started doing it already?
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 9: Man, Okay, get back, this kept happening last night.
Speaker 5: We did.
Speaker 8: By the way, I have to tell you guys, as much as I love this show, and I really do love this show, it's become a part of my life.
Speaker 4: I told you guys that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: I've lied to a lot of other people about their shows, but I really do like when somebody calls in about you know, they've just had an operation or been out for a while and they listen to your show gets them through it. I haven't had any of that, but for some reason, you guys get me through it. So, uh, it's it's really great. But to see you last night in the true Dan Patrick form, it's like watching Bad Santa.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 9: I have never seen anything. I've never bet you guys.
Speaker 8: Remember Mystery Science Through Theater three thousand, MST three K where they're commenting on stuff that's.
Speaker 9: Him and none of it's arable ever, and you're just going, who is this guy?
Speaker 4: I like him more than the TV guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, He kept saying, are you really like this? I go, yes, yes, I am. Oh my goodness, it was. It was wonderful.
Speaker 4: It was. Uh, it really was.
Speaker 3: But does when all else fails you go Gruden?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 8: It depends Groodon right now because he's everywhere. I mean there is just you see you get on ex Twitter, whatever it's called. You get down there and within a minute, maybe thirty seconds, let's go five seconds. Within five seconds there's John Gruden opening something up like a box league.
Speaker 9: What do we get now?
Speaker 4: He comes in.
Speaker 9: He had that hip surgery so he can barely walk.
Speaker 8: He's coming in like, I'm trying to get there, man, like an oompa loop but do but he do?
Speaker 9: Here we go, Man, gonna drink from the chocolate river. It's gonna be good.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 8: So then he gets the box. He opens up the box. He's always has trouble opening up the box, right, He's like, gonna just slice into I just cut my finger up.
Speaker 9: But I can keep going.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: You know why because I love football and I love opening up boxes.
Speaker 8: So he will go into the box and sometimes there'll be a box inside of the box, and he's like amazed by that. It's like, what is this inception?
Speaker 6: You ever see that?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 9: You ever see inception?
Speaker 3: Leonard?
Speaker 8: I'm like Leonardo DiCaprio right now. Man, he and I have the same situation. So I'm opening up a box. There's another box.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 8: Man, Luckily I still got that tool in my hand. I gotta go inside a box. Do you ever see those Russian nesting dolls where there's a doll inside of a doll, inside of a doll, you open up the.
Speaker 4: Last one's chucky?
Speaker 8: Tell you what, man, I just wrote a bit that's going on stage.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 8: How does Chris Berman like you're in person? Yeah, Well, Berwin I first met Berman.
Speaker 9: I was doing the gro and.
Speaker 4: He's like, eh, sure you do. You're doing other people.
Speaker 9: You're gonna be doing other people.
Speaker 3: He didn't want.
Speaker 4: You to do him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think he was skeptical. I think he was good about it. Never I was never asked not to do it or something. But everybody does a Chris Berman at ESPN.
Speaker 4: Just nobody.
Speaker 8: Yeah, everybody doesn't like trained seals. Wait wait wait wait wait, so but everybody does one. They're and uh but when you do all the makeup and stuff like that, sit at the desk and be here a Neufrozian field big they big to you?
Speaker 3: Then could you fool somebody? Now with that one on the phone?
Speaker 4: Not with that one? That one's become?
Speaker 3: Which one? Could you call somebody?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 8: I could probably call somebody as well. I think John grew naked, but we uh yeah, I believe I could probably pull that one off, Sunny. The truth of the matter is that's one that you could just He probably doesn't talk like that in real life though, right, But Morgan Freemans like.
Speaker 12: I've just decided to call you out of the blue, dam you saw a number that you didn't recognize, but for some reason you answered it anyways. And this is good work, going through five hundred yards of the fifthith slop. I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to do.
Speaker 8: You guys here, Morgan Free, this sounds pretty good, so I think, yeah, that.
Speaker 4: Would be one.
Speaker 8: I mean there's some that, uh, you have to go more subtle in the old school. To John Madden, I could.
Speaker 12: Have you know, I used to do it on the radio and I would do it in place because when I would do it on stage, I was like, you know, it's that big, over the top. But then to just talk the way he talked, to say the things he says, I mean you know that it's just like it's a part.
Speaker 4: Of what you're doing there.
Speaker 8: So there's different versions of each impression where you can go over the top or you can and berman like I my Bourma was always just pretty good. I didn't think it was great, so I would just go way to the big, you know, just get the laugh out of it at the back. And that's the way I used to always do impressions was over the top, almost to the Dana Carve level. Dana does those huge over the top caricatures, and the person like Darryl Hammond would do right on the money. And I tried to be in the middle somewhere just to have my own style with it.
Speaker 4: But with the Internet and.
Speaker 8: The way people use social media, if you're not dead on with an exact sound of the voice, like terrible awful does it should have been Charles Barker there.
Speaker 4: That's terrible. That's really really bad. So don't bin knuckle here.
Speaker 12: All those Doug gottlib trying to get wins and you're up here slamming them.
Speaker 4: Come on, may Okay, what's going on?
Speaker 2: How often does it happen where somebody comes up to you and says, Frank, I got an impression.
Speaker 4: Well, that's all the time. I mean, it's I it's whence people do.
Speaker 8: I don't mind if somebody does it, it's when they do it for like they do one of my bits or the whole bit. I'm like, I know I wrote that, Or they'll come up to me and do it there yoda, which I think anybody can like it's close, but you're gonna do the all all the lines. So it's it's nice because they know you right, it's not all. And I was on the baseball playoffs for TBS and I had commercials for me. During commercials of me, they were like, you ruined the baseball players. I'm like, I didn't decide where they air. Okay, it wasn't it wasn't my thing. I just I shot them. But so that it's cool. It's just don't go long. That's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 8: And I don't mind when people people say, hey, do some John Madden and I'm just like boom and that's usually enough for people. Uh and when they when they want more. Here's a guy who's good, little greedy though.
Speaker 9: So I feel like I get the chance to make that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And here you are with a draft week in Green Bay and mel Kiper you do uh?
Speaker 4: Mel Kiper, who is the nicest guy you guys had him on it.
Speaker 8: I started doing I wasn't even trying to do it, talking like mel Kuiper junior Dan. I sometimes get lost trying to figure it out, breaking down cam Ward out there in Miami doing his thing and trying to get more pinpoint accuracy. And if you're looking at a guy who can make the reads, I'm gonna go Shadeur Sanders.
Speaker 9: A lot of people talking about that's dad.
Speaker 8: Deon Sanders apparently played football, don't remember, but I'll tell you this pretty good player. A little bit flashy for my taste, but I'd say this about the shador does a tremendous job. We're gonna break down the it's all, you know, I wants to break down the Dan nats here. We have tremendous gotten Marvin over here, tiny hands not it doesn't have the ability to catch the ball, but had is gonna catch a lot of shade. That's what's going on with Marvin. Sometimes people gonna say things he's gonna knock it down on those tiny hand swat and you look at Fritzy, he's gonna have a pun. You know, nobody's had a pun on top of a pun. It that's better. The guy wants to play rhyme time twenty four hours a day. And then you got ye, then we're that we're taught. You know, we're gonna we're gonna talk Seat and his name isn't even actually Seating. He's using an alias that is, But that's because he loves soccer. Nobody cares about soccer. Then Paully the original chat GPT generated Paully translator. He does a tremendous job. Can explain anything that could be explained in three seconds in about four and a half minutes.
Speaker 3: And that's does a tremendous job.
Speaker 8: You know, Scottie Pippin spelled his name with an ie and his son spells it with a y.
Speaker 4: I mean ae o u A.
Speaker 8: I almost got the vows wrong there, but you take a look. I'll tell you what. I want to get the balls wrong?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 8: Why sometimes only your vows so uh so, Yeah, I think we think we got there.
Speaker 4: I deserve it.
Speaker 9: I deserve it.
Speaker 8: Fritzy is so happy we haven't gotten to the Fritzy impression.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna get to that.
Speaker 2: So we were rehearsing yesterday here in Green Bay and Frank comes over and all of a sudden, Frank's observing.
Speaker 9: Everybody, and they just tried not to do.
Speaker 2: And then you just decided to do you know, a Fritzie impersonation.
Speaker 8: Guys, guy, I don't have the voice one hundred percent yet. It's like you with the with your Trump impression where it's all hands right now. But there's a thing I watch somebody's mouth. So if I watch, if I watch how the mouth moves, you can kind of tell how the person talks.
Speaker 4: If you watch their eyes.
Speaker 8: That's how I get how they think a little bit more so, Fritzie's a lot of times gonna say something and at the same time he thinks it's gonna crush, but he's also really worried that it's gonna go real flat.
Speaker 9: I don't know how you can have I don't very big in a Dallas mel kaipra.
Speaker 8: I don't know how you can have that kind of a bravado and at the same time be worried about what you're gonna say.
Speaker 4: But so his sesss are in this.
Speaker 8: So the first thing I do is look at the s and it's it's, uh, that's kind of a I was just trying to I Uh.
Speaker 4: I was that's it.
Speaker 9: And I've heard seat into it too, and you do more of a.
Speaker 8: Lisp and it's it's the F and it's uh uh, you know, I I was just and he explains like he'll say, well, I was just trying to I was just trying to get explain what we were going for with that kind of thing, And you know, I and you just hope the batteries run out, like oh.
Speaker 4: But so like God, well, you guys want to play right good?
Speaker 8: You're supposed to talk, because I was starting to get it last night when he was because he was talking.
Speaker 4: And then when I can hear it while I'm doing it, you know, I'm you know, just kind of you're just leving me out there. Now you just let me die. Scary, scary, scary, scary scary.
Speaker 8: See when I hear the words, when you hear the words, imitation is usually flattering.
Speaker 9: Young lady, there's a lay over there, you sit on my lap.
Speaker 4: That's awkward.
Speaker 2: Who did you not get? Oh, there's a lot, but you kept trying or you still keep trying.
Speaker 8: Fritzy is one of them working toward that, but I think, uh uh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's so many. If you haven't heard me do it, I can't.
Speaker 8: That's the thing, so cause I get ripped so much when they're not very good, and like don't have the cartoon version of the person yet, So.
Speaker 3: Who frustrates you?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 8: As far as an impression, let's say I would love to be able to do a ben Affleck or something like that. A Matt damon, somebody, somebody who's more subtle. I've found little things with some people.
Speaker 2: Timothy Sallow May I think may shadow to may.
Speaker 4: Hey, Danny, how you doing? Man? That sounds pretty good. You want to come down, put a much dash on and uh be in another movie. There we go.
Speaker 2: And we've done this before. Fritzy's Marge Simpson. Oh it's great, it's pretty good.
Speaker 8: Right, No, there's a who's the I'm trying to think play by play tn T Kevin Harley, that's fantastic. That is that is a top notch Come on, you're going to do it. Butt Nuggets are on a twelve six run and the Bucks want to talk about it.
Speaker 9: This since the NBA on.
Speaker 4: T that is I've texted you before.
Speaker 8: I've texted it before during the show and said, that's one I could never get.
Speaker 4: And the problem is now that.
Speaker 8: You've gotten the this it's the NBA on TNT and mine always turns into Marv Albert. Yes, but so when you do that, now that's the tag that that's the perfect tag. But I could never use it because you use it. So it's one of those like, ah, he nailed it. Now gonna find something different because that's the thing you've You've latched onto with it, which is the perfect thing to do because no matter what you say, you end it with that and always appreciate that's very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 9: Now he's gonna do more.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Now I'm gonna sing.
Speaker 4: Now I'm going to sing some Uh.
Speaker 5: This is the NBA on TNT.
Speaker 3: But what you do that makes you so brilliant is so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Wonderful is wonderful you you do your impersonations in context, like there's yeah, it's not just hey, I'm gonna do an impersonation.
Speaker 8: Well I think you do that here, right, I mean, it's usually it's a throw in something you were talking steven A Smith before you throw it out in the midst of a conversation. I'm just having the conversation with myself when I do it. So that's you. I understand where you're coming from with some of these things, mister Patrick. When I first met steven A he's like he was you know, he was at ESPN that he went to Fox for a little while and then he went back to ESPN. I saw him in an elevator when I was going to shoot the NFL on Fox stuff. And uh, he said, mister calli endo of all the impressions and impressionations you do, do me a favor, don't ever ever do me. And then I saw him at the super Bowl a couple of years ago, and uh, there were like fifty people around by the way, like, there's like fifty people surrounding steven A.
Speaker 4: I got you out. Understand there's people trying to get it me.
Speaker 8: I'm I could quite possibly be one and for president and that could happen, and.
Speaker 4: We need to make sure I'm safe. But so he's why.
Speaker 8: But one of the they asked him who the best steven A. Smith impression was, and he'd just seen me, so he said to me, there are other people like Jay Farrow and Jamie Fox who do great, incredible impressions of them, probably better than me.
Speaker 6: Jay.
Speaker 8: I think Pharaoh might do the best one. But it was funny because he said it, and then I was just telling her, I say, I got a great steven A Smith and press. So it's cool when somebody acknowledges that, even if I know I just saw him a little bit ago. I was just a top of mine. So I take that, But do you watch other I try to stay away. I know, I don't like to watch anybody because I will come across somebody once in a while and I say, that's that person's really good.
Speaker 4: I don't want to watch them. Do you listen to other people's sports rate?
Speaker 8: You don't want to listen to anything, because then you could your take could be influenced on that. There's a lot of people that watch this show in local markets and probably beyond that, you'll if you listen to them, you'll hear the same or similar takes after where you guys kind of set the agenda a lot of the time. And there's a few shows that are out there that are like that, but you guys are definitely one where there's a lot of people go, what did they do today?
Speaker 4: Oh, let's do rhyme time too. God, I hope not. I actually enjoyed it. See that. That's the thing.
Speaker 9: We had that conversation.
Speaker 8: We had a conversation about Todd last night and I said, yeah, you cut him off quickly. Sometimes you're like, I got you know, He's like, that's.
Speaker 4: The funny thing.
Speaker 8: When Todd is not trying to be funny, he is hilarious. When he is trying to be funny. It's like, stop trying to be funny so we can laugh.
Speaker 3: It's it's but it's true.
Speaker 4: But it is.
Speaker 8: He'll say something you'll like ah, and then he'll try to explain this way out of it.
Speaker 9: You'll start to get mad. Sometimes everybody's like, no, keep going. This is gonna this is gonna be good.
Speaker 3: It's gonna end poorly.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Frank will be performing all across the country. You can go to Frank on stage dot com for tickets. You're gonna be in Appleton, Wisconsin. What do you think laugh my balls off is a comedy store.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you, well, that's a good name. Like they open a box and look at that. I just realized what I said. That's a bad idea right there.
Speaker 4: You did?
Speaker 3: You did John c Riley in Step Brother.
Speaker 4: I did a little bit of that.
Speaker 13: That's one of those I love that you're getting into this way you're supposed to be doing the plug.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dan?
Speaker 13: Uh did you did you touch my drum set? Did did you touch my drum set? I think he touched my drum set?
Speaker 9: I did him in an animated Disney movie?
Speaker 4: Is he's an ant? Did you did you touch my ant? Hill?
Speaker 13: Did you touch my ant hill because it looks like somebody stepped on it. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: So because if you bring it up, it becomes Sethrogan. So I didn't even know we were doing that. Oh, where's light up?
Speaker 2: He'll be in Appleton, Skyline Comedy Club, the Funny Bone in Des Moines.
Speaker 3: And uh, des Monet des Monee.
Speaker 2: I had the same flat a tenant, Oh my god when she was saying, you know, we are touching down in Chicago and then we will be going to Desmonet, and I went, oh my god, and I'm next to Paulie. I didn't correct her, and she said, and you could just see people go.
Speaker 3: Did she say desmone Iowa?
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure she said.
Speaker 3: Frank on stage dot com.
Speaker 4: Great to see you, Great to see you guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks everybody, Thank you, thank you,