Speaker 1: What will you do when your business falls victim to a crippling ransomware attack? It takes just one employee to click a malicious link, to download an infected document, or visit a compromised website for your business to be paralyzed. Put teeth in your cybersecurity with Barracuda Advanced Threat Protection to text and block suspicious activity in your emails, files and web traffic in real time. Find out how at Maracota dot com new customers on lock ten percent savings when they mentioned this ad Barracuda Fierce Defenses for Complex threats.
Speaker 2: And the Fan.
Speaker 3: Now on Kfan and the Minnesota Vikings radio network, I'm Nordo from nine to noon and Vikings rewind is always presented by Omni Vikinglakes. Go to Omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes to book your stay today.
Speaker 4: Just a programming note.
Speaker 3: Right after this, you're going to hear the Minnesota Wild hosting the Saint Louis Blues at the AX puck Drop shortly after seven pm.
Speaker 4: Where you're home not just for Vikings.
Speaker 3: Football, but Wild hockey as well, and as that team goes through some changes, the Vikings trying to figure out how to navigate changes over the last month at the quarterback position. The Vikings lose last night twelve ten to the Chicago Bears under the bright lights of Monday night football. Vikings now six and six, and while they're firmly still in a playoff position in the NFC Wildcard race, things continuing to get dicey as the Vikings went from winning five straight to now losing a couple in a row by a combined three points.
Speaker 4: And later on you're going to hear from the head coach.
Speaker 3: He does an exclusive KFA and interview after each and every game win or lose. Kevin O'Connell chats with Bett Leeber and I'm going to play that back for you. But first let's rewind to the action. And well, when I say that, during Vikings rewind, usually there's a plethora of highlights that are to be played kind of shortly following that. But last night at US Bank Stadium, frankly, the first half not a lot of highlights. But I will start with this. The offense was a problem. In the first quarter last night. The Minnesota Vikings totaled just three plays. They had the ball for one minute and thirty nine seconds of the first quarter. That's a massive problem. They totaled minus seven yards, part of a sack on Josh Dobbs three and out. They punt and the Bears had two possessions that completed the rest of the first quarter. Tatum Everett Vikings dot Com, Vikings Entertainment Network. She chatted with running back Alexander Madison after the game, and the first thing she asked him is, what are some reasons that the offense struggled so much tonight? Turnovers four of them aside, what's going on with the offense?
Speaker 4: Why were there some struggles?
Speaker 3: And let's play that interview back for you here to kick things off.
Speaker 5: Just you know, all eleven have to do their job on every single play. We have to execute the players that are called. I don't think that we were able to do that snap in a snapout. You got to give credit to the defense on the other.
Speaker 2: Side of the ball and how they played as well.
Speaker 5: But I think you know, it comes down to turnovers as well, you know, us beating ourselves and we just have to clean that up. We can't let that be a case of why we're losing football games. And that's really what it's been all season long. You know, our losses have come at our own hands, and we understand what we have in this locker room where we're capable of.
Speaker 2: We should have to continue to try and live up to that.
Speaker 6: What is something that you guys do weekly to try and shore those issues up.
Speaker 5: It's all about executing. It's all about just make sure that we understand. You know, what it takes to win a football game, what it takes, and sometimes, you know, on Sunday, the ball just bounce away. Sometimes some stuff happens and you just have to live with them. You have to try and bounce back and play complimentary football. Our defense did an amazing job today, but you know, we came up short a few times where we should have put some points on the board to reward them for the amazing defense that they played. So we should have to make sure we look at the tape and dissected and understand where we can be better at.
Speaker 6: There were a few different guys on the Chicago Bears front that were different. They were guys you hadn't seen the last kind of matchup. How did that change things for y'all?
Speaker 5: I mean we still we just we played them as the Chicago Bears, whoever they have lined up against us, whoever is in the front, whereas in the back end.
Speaker 2: We just have to make sure that we go out there and execute.
Speaker 5: So we didn't try and play too much attention to who was lined up against us, but just make sure that we go out.
Speaker 2: There and try and execute.
Speaker 5: And we aren't able to do that tonight, and it sucks, but you know that we have to just continue to push forward, put this one to bed, dissect it, and come off to bye week strong.
Speaker 6: What do you tell Josh Dobbs in a night late tonight that he probably wishes he could have done done better?
Speaker 5: Just supportive, nothing but support. You know, he's an amazing player. You see it every day that the way that he prepares, it's one of those things, like I said, you know, sometimes it doesn't bounce away.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's not your day.
Speaker 5: It's not about you know him as a player, it's not about him as a person.
Speaker 2: It's not about any of that he gave us all.
Speaker 5: You see the effort snap in or snap out, the way that he leads his offense, the way that he encourages his teammates, it's it's nothing but love for him, and I know that he'll come back stronger after this this week, after we look at some tape and after we you know, put this put this one to bed.
Speaker 6: Well, you've got a little bit of time. Finally, it's the bye week, which I'm sure you players are pretty excited about just being able to rest your bodies and get back into you know, maybe fifty percent shape now I'm kidding, and just just to get back a little bit more right, So how do you attack the next five weeks when you return from the bye week?
Speaker 2: Four head of steam? This is the playoffs for us.
Speaker 5: We understand that we have to play that way every week so that we can make sure that we ensure you know the potential of what our future can hold.
Speaker 2: So come back off the bye week.
Speaker 5: Hit a song, and make sure that we just keep our head down, keep pushing.
Speaker 3: Alexander Madison with Tatum Everett following the game last night. Madison, by the way, ten carries fifty two yards, so you like that per carry clip team only ran the ball seventeen times. A lot of people wondering after that fumble that Madison coughed up against the Denver Broncos, would there be any panel to your punishment or accountability a punitive aspect to it, where maybe ty Chandler he's earning more reps, he's got that boost, he's got that spark. Ty Chandler just had four Carrigs, didn't play many snaps actually at all throughout the second half. So Madison's still getting the Lieons share of opportunities there. But as the issues for the offense were mounting, the defense came to play last night.
Speaker 4: The last two games, the.
Speaker 3: Vikings defense have surrendered just one offensive touchdown a total of nine field goals, keeping the Vikings in position to win two games that they have unfortunately lost. Bears got the ball first to start last night's game. They're driving, they're trying to make things happen. But Ivan Pace Junior had something to say about it. Defensive playmaking early on for this team. Second and eighth from the Vikings twenty four fields.
Speaker 4: He's hit.
Speaker 7: Justin fields is dat by Ivan Pace Junior, the first pull sack of his career.
Speaker 3: So where the offense was having problems last night, the defense was having no problems shut down justin fields and that Bears offense for almost the entire game. Cairo Santos he kicked a lot last night, but the first one he missed it.
Speaker 4: Santos is nineteen of twenty this year and.
Speaker 7: He's kicking to the west side of the US Bank Stadium. Patrick Scales as a long snapper in his one hundred and seventeenth game. Punter Trenton gill Hold snap spot Santo's right footed.
Speaker 4: Kit end over end.
Speaker 3: No good, Kyrie Santos missed. So it's good times bad times. That drive by the way, as I play the Madison interview, just kind of getting a vibe for the first half offense can't get it going. But the Bears started off the game with a nine minute drive and they come away empty.
Speaker 4: No points.
Speaker 3: Now, Vikings first possession, I laid it out for you at three plays they went backwards seven yards just a minute thirty nine of possession in the first quarter for the Vikings.
Speaker 7: Well, this is why scoreless Brandon powellin motioned to the right seventh consecutive game without Justin. Jefferson Dobbs on third down back to pass test that.
Speaker 4: Fall over him.
Speaker 7: Hanny sack him at the thirty loss of nine. Minnesota goes three and out.
Speaker 3: They punt, Bears get the ball back another five and a half minute drive.
Speaker 4: They make that field goal.
Speaker 3: Ten plays sixty seven yards so it's three to nothing, and now the Vikings they get a little turnover happy. So first half defense playing well, keeping them out of the end zone. Offense, well, they're giving it to the other team.
Speaker 7: Dobbs on second down, out of the shotgun.
Speaker 4: Poor man rush.
Speaker 7: He throws left in our Stepkin Addison was wide open, but Jalen Johnson picked it off, turns it up into Vikings territory forty five angles to the forty taking down at the thirty seven yard line. Second interception wearing purple and gold for Josh Dobbs. Third this season for Jalen Johnson and the Chicago Bears have turned over the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 4: But then they go three and out.
Speaker 3: Defense playing well, Vikings get the ball back six plays thirty seven yards in and another interception.
Speaker 7: Third and four from their own forty nine Dobbs out of the shot done. Three receivers right, Jordan Addison left, Bears blitch Dobbs straight drop fires.
Speaker 4: Over the middle. It bounces off the hands of.
Speaker 7: Jordan Addison and it picked.
Speaker 4: Off by Jakwan Brisker.
Speaker 7: The Chicago Bears have intercepted Josh Dobbs to White in the first quarter and a half of this Bears battle one twenty six.
Speaker 3: It looked like a great throw from Dobbs, kind of timing as Jordan Addison is making the turn that ball was out of Dobbs's hands and it just smacks Addison right in the helmet and goes right to the Bears defender.
Speaker 4: That's two picks in the first half for Josh Dobbs.
Speaker 3: And then but still defense forces a punt on the next possession for the Bears.
Speaker 4: Vikings offense goes.
Speaker 3: Three and out. Hey, that's better than a turnover. At least you're punting. Force another punt from the Bears, and seven plays sixty four yards of Vikings offense at the end of the first half. I have to play this highlight just to prove to you that the Vikings did indeed score points in the first.
Speaker 4: Half of last night's game.
Speaker 7: Thirty four yard try right hash by Greg Joseph to finish the first half snap spot Joseph right put it Kickings good h and is three to three at halftime.
Speaker 4: The Vikings get the ball to begin the second half. You heard that three to three.
Speaker 3: At the break, Vikings do get the ball, taking advantage of the middle eight, scoring on the back side or front side of halftime, getting points on the back side or the beginning of the third quarter. Vikings get the ball five plays thirty yards, but they're faced with a fourth and seven near midfield. Do they punt it? Kevin O'Connell says, nope, we need points. We feel good about this defense. We're gonna go for it.
Speaker 7: Three two Now, Chandler motions to the backfield.
Speaker 4: They get off the play on fourth down, tops straight, drop, fires right, and.
Speaker 7: It's caught by Hawkinson, who reaches the ball close to the first down.
Speaker 4: He didn't get it.
Speaker 3: I'm really split on this at the time. I just would have preferred a punt, but you're gonna go for it.
Speaker 4: TJ.
Speaker 3: Hawkinson needs seven yards. He ran a six yard route. There's something wrong with that. Additionally, if you watch the throw Dobbs, if he leads TJ closer to the boundary, it's an easy first down, probably plus an extra six seven yards after the catch. But in as it was another turnover this time on downs ensuing possession for the Bears, they're able to take advantage of a short field. They go ten plays, just thirty four yards, but another five minutes off the clock. A lot of possession for the Bears last night. As a matter of fact, they had the ball for thirty five minutes fifty seconds. The Bears had it last night, So some domination in time of possession for the visitors. They get another field goal, so now it's six ' three in favor of the Bears. And here's where the interception started happening again.
Speaker 7: Four through three from the Bears forty four third quarter. Dobbs straight drop, four man rush rolls over the middle, both houses.
Speaker 2: In the air.
Speaker 4: It's intercept it again. TJ.
Speaker 7: Edwards off Josh Dobbs, who has the first three interception.
Speaker 3: Game of his career. It was just ugly last night. And I know it's fourth down. It's fourth and three, so you move the sticks. You're going to turn the ball over on downs anyway, but you do have the right to complete a three yard pass. You have the right to use your legs pick up the first down with your feet instead trying to fit something into a window that wasn't open.
Speaker 4: And TJ.
Speaker 3: Edwards comes down with it, and if anything, you're almost happy. He picked it off. You know why, because line of scrimmage was at the Bears forty four. Edwards could have just batted it down and that's where the Bears take over. He picks it off, So it's good for the stat sheet, but they lose thirteen yards as they took over at their own thirty one yard line. The Bears would drive and they go eight plays thirty two yards. Know the three and a half minute or so drive that takes us into the early stages, less than a minute into the fourth quarter as Cairo santos from fifty five yards and it's good. So now it's nine to three early fourth for the Chicago Bears over the Vikings and the defense keeping them out of the end zone. All of this negativity, all of these turnovers, and the Vikings can score a touchdown and take the lead. Well, the one thing that you can't do is continue giving it to the other team. And at this stage three nothing in terms of takeaways for the Bears to the Vikings.
Speaker 4: Make it on the ensuing possession, four nothing.
Speaker 7: CJ Hamm the tailback dops Encountered crows it over the middle and it's intercepted. I believe, are they gonna stay incomplete or Bear's ball, Bears ball. It nearly was intercepted by defensive lineman Justin Jones, but then it popped out of his arms and into the arms of.
Speaker 4: Kyler Gorton, a cornerback.
Speaker 7: That's four interceptions for Josh Dobbs and the.
Speaker 4: Vikings are minus four in the take give.
Speaker 3: Minus four in the take give twenty four turnovers this season in twelve games by the Vikings offense, You're averaging two giveaways per game. How do you even win six games with numbers like that? Now, if this is any team, most teams other than the three win Bears operation, the Vikings are down double digits and the game is absolutely over. But it is the three win Bears, and they do make mistakes. And on the ensuing possession, Justin Fields made this thing interesting real quick.
Speaker 7: Second and ten for Justin Fields takes the snap, He's going to try to run it, right, he dropped, Fields dropted. Did the Minnesota Vikings recovery, Yes, yes we did. Justin Fields fumbled it and hey, the Vikings have taken the ball from the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 4: How about that?
Speaker 3: And with nine forty six left in the game, the Minnesota Vikings go on an eight play seventy seven yard drive and TJ. Hawkinson helps the Vikings take the lead.
Speaker 7: First and ten from the Bears seventeen clock runs top shot guns, short drop looks right, so he's not.
Speaker 4: He prosed the.
Speaker 2: Anti dude day.
Speaker 7: Hawkinson with a seventeen yard crab.
Speaker 4: Has tied the game at nine.
Speaker 3: And the extra point makes it ten to nine in favor of the Vikings with five and a half minutes left to go in the game, and then the Bears fumble again.
Speaker 4: Burned down for the Bears.
Speaker 7: Third and ten field shot gun, Minnesota rushes four justin steps up, He's gonna run, gets to the forty.
Speaker 2: Rugger.
Speaker 7: The Vikings welcome back Anthony Barr.
Speaker 4: That's a huge fumble recovery, massive moment.
Speaker 3: Two consecutive turnovers by the Bears.
Speaker 4: Vikings have a chance.
Speaker 3: Just move the sticks and you can either get into field goal range to force the need of a touchdown by the Bears, or you can ice this thing.
Speaker 4: And run the clock out.
Speaker 3: Two bad runs by Madison, a catch by Brandon Powell behind the line of scrimmage, a bad Ryan right punt, and the Bears are at the twenty three line with a chance to drive and kick a field goal.
Speaker 4: It's third down.
Speaker 3: Need this defense to stand tall one more time, but they couldn't bear.
Speaker 4: Seventy sixteen on per down.
Speaker 7: He's third and ten from the Vikings forty nine field, straight drop, trailing ten to nine. Fires over the middle, clot Dj Moore at the twenty five, bounce us off Firon Murphy at the twenty, drags Vikings inside the fifteen, and he's taken down at the twelve. It is a reception of thirty five yards per Dj Moore and.
Speaker 4: Just seconds remaining.
Speaker 3: Cairo Santos game winner Trenton gil Holtz Cairo Santos from thirty right hash snap spots.
Speaker 7: Tanto says kick is the band. He made it with ten seconds to go in the game. The Chicago Bears have a twelve ten league and that's your final score. Twelve ten and the Vikings defense keeps the team in it. Vikings offense not able to take it.
Speaker 3: The turnovers absolutely catastrophic for this squad right now as they fall to six and six in a much needed bye week. Is around the corner when we return. You're going to hear from the head coach Kevin O'Connell. He spoke with Ben Lieber after the game last night. But I do want to remind people it is a bye week, so there's no Friday Football Feast live and on site out of Buffalo Wild Wings. But you can go to Vikings dot com slash bww find the schedule for the remaining five weeks of the regular season and hopefully some playoffs as well.
Speaker 4: I'mnordo.
Speaker 3: This is Vikings Rewind, presented by Omni Viking Lakes right here on Kfan and the Minnesota Viking FN the Fan Welcome back to Vikings rewind if presented by Omni Vikings.
Speaker 8: It's the Holiday Friends and Family Sale at jcpenny, and you're invited. Everyone can take on something extra with their thirty percent off coupon. That's on top of already great savings across the store, like fifty percent off essentials to deck your halls and home and up to forty percent off Liz Claiborne perfect for any get together. Or use your coupon to save an extra thirty.
Speaker 4: Percent store wide.
Speaker 8: Jcpenny Make your Holidays count offers ballot on select styles, row White peop on n twelve three busy. Then n's twelve six home sale ends twelve seventeen. Exclusions apply CE store or JCP dot com for details.
Speaker 4: King Lakes, I'm Nordo. Last segment, you heard some high lights and low lights.
Speaker 3: Last night's twelve ten Monday Night Football lost to the Chicago Bears. After the game, head coach Kevin O'Connell sat down with Ben Lieber and here they are chatting and KOC starts off by talking about those nasty turnovers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's you know, all you know, interceptions tonight and you know, there were some tipballs, there were some breakdowns here and there. We'll take a look at some of the decision making that goes into it. Uh, the biggest, the biggest issue right now is, you know, between those turnovers just totally take away your ability to have a chance at time of possession to move the football, to get down into the red zone and have a chance for points in a game where our defense was playing lights out, you know, overcoming some adversity multiple times when we you know, turned it over, and I just we've got to find a way to play complimentary football. And tonight and last week, it's our ability not to turn the football over and sustain drives, and even if drives have to end in punts, that is still more of a winning formula and playing the field position game than turning the football over. It's never ever going to be something that you're just going to easily overcome with some of the things we have going on on offense, and we'll get some pieces back, hopefully we'll get the best receiver in football back, but that's not going to change the fact that we've got a limit giving the football away to the other team because it's catastrophic for your chances to win.
Speaker 10: You mentioned the defense, and that was a really bright spot in this game, and they absolutely gave you guys a chance.
Speaker 2: As a team.
Speaker 10: The four turnovers which I mentioned, but the statistics off the sudden change is incredible. Two three and outs, they held the into one field goal, and they got one takeaway as well with the Sheldon Day fumble recovery. I mean, they played outstanding. What else can you say about this defense? Give me a chance.
Speaker 9: You can't say enough about what they did over there. And then that's how you're able to have a you know, one successful drive. You know, with the we stack some plays together and you know, all eleven guys doing their job offensive, we score a touchdown defensively. We saw it all night long that they had our back. The one thing about this locker room is they're going to keep fighting all the way down to the very end. But the fact of the matter is, when you've lose, you lose the turnover battle like we have the last two weeks, and you're still within a point or still within two points, you know you don't get to play forever. Eventually the clock's gonna run out. They made one throw. You know they're in the two minutes to get down there in field goal range. And when you give yourselves no margin of error because of how the turnovers affect everything that the football game has to do with, you give them a chance to make one throw, and they made a throw down the middle to set themselves up for a game. But I told Flow, I told the defense, you know, they continue to play at a level that we can win with, we've got to find a way to limit the turnovers. And if we've got to, you know, be more conservative and and and limit our opportunities to generate some explosives.
Speaker 2: So be it.
Speaker 9: Because the way our defense is playing complimentary football has to be the starting point. It just has to bend to give ourselves a chance to win some of these football games.
Speaker 10: You know, every wishes you guys could go into the bye week with that winning taste in your mouth.
Speaker 2: But is it has been a long.
Speaker 10: Stretch from the started training camp to this season. You get a chance to get to the bye week, evaluate a lot of different things as as you typically do out of the bye week. You got five games left. What's your what's your mindset gonna be? What's your mindset right now for the for the final five game push?
Speaker 9: Yeah to me, it's about you know, evaluating everything offense, defense, and special teams. Take a look at what our self scouts look like, take a look at how we can improve. You know, I know the one metric that has to improve his turnovers, but there's other things that we'll look at. We'll take a look at whatever personnel we think gives us the best chance to win football games, and we'll come out of this thing ready to go to Vegas and go get a win.
Speaker 2: Last time, you know, we we felt like things.
Speaker 9: Were in a very dark spot, which is how all our guys are gonna feel. When we felt like we let one slip away tonight that you know, we really wanted to get going into the bye. Last time we felt like this, we ripped off five in a row. And if we can come off this buy with the right kind of mentality, which I know our guys will have, this locker room will stay together, and we'll take it one game at a time, starting in Vegas, and we got to go get a victory and then we'll worry about the next one after that and see where we can go this year. Because I believe in this team. I believe we can come together. I believe that there's a lot of things that I can do better, our coaching staff can do better. And ultimately that's what we'll figure out this week. Give our players a great plan, go in Vegas and we'll go play good football game.
Speaker 3: That's Kevin O'Connell with Ben Lieber after the game last night. It wraps up Vikings Rewind presented by Omni Viking Lakes book online today. Go to omnihotels dot com slash Viking Lakes. It's an awesome hotel and it's just stepped from the Vikings headquarters and training facility. Next up's a bye week so a chance to get healthy, chance to figure out this offense and get geared up for the five game sprint, the five games remaining after the bye week, starting with as the head coach said, Las.
Speaker 4: Vegas, just twelve days from now, I'm Nordo.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to Vikings rewind on kfa N and the Minnesota Vikings Radio Network. Wild hockey doing up right around the corner.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Pete Pursuch for my friends at Thousand Hills Lifetime Grades.
Speaker 7: These guys produce clean, nutrient dense, delicious beef, no antibiotics, no synthetic hormones, no feed luck, confinement feeding, just grazing and diverse pastures for the entire life of the animal. Thousand Hills is passionate about regenerative agricultural practices that benefit biological diversity, the water cycle, carbon sequestration, and soil fertility. And best of all, they are local Minnesota companies, So go check them out at Corbyn's and your local food co op or a Thousand Hills Lifetime Grazed dot com