Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily where we were Kieran Kulkin super fans going back to down Go Zigbie in two thousand and two doubleheader year. That year for Kieren he had dangerous lives of altar boys. That was good too. Nick Took has no idea what I'm talking about, because he's not worried about any oscars. He's all ball all the time. He has been paying rent at Lucas Oil Stadium all week. How was it, Nick, You are done with the NFL scouting combine?
Speaker 2: Yeah. The only Oscar I knew this week was Oscar style and my stake at Saint Almos. She just had bang nailed it. Yeah. Upwards of thirty thirty five hours spent in Lucas Oil Stadium in the last four days. All beautiful, all magical, all worthwhile and revelatory on some days.
Speaker 3: For better or for worse.
Speaker 1: And we all discuss, you know, speaking to Almo is that I feel bad we worked shook herd. He you know, is right, And of course for the website, he's at these press conferences in the morning, then he's at the stadium for you know, six seven hours during the day, and then he tells me He actually literally left his dinner at Saint Elmos tonight to deliver this news for you. It was mostly finished.
Speaker 2: It's mostly done. It's fine, no guilt here as long as I don't guilt. But that's how much Nick took a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Uh, and we got some big news before we even get to the combine. And I really want to hear about your all combine team, and we'll talk about the last three days of drills. We we got to start with a couple of big items, a veteran news. First of all, closed the circle. It feels like it's a while ago now. But after all that Matthew Stafford talk, in the end, Matthew Stafford decides to stay home with the Los Angeles Rams. That that came out on Friday. It was reported by our friend Jordan Rodrieg of The Athletic and Diana Rossini that Stafford and Sean McVay at he met at six thirty am Friday morning. I mean, if Stafford is getting up at what five point thirty to get over to the facility for a six thirty meeting, forget the leverage in that point, like you've already agreed to stay with the Rams, like, what what do you think? What was the difference here? In the end, he turns down reported good offers from the Raiders, who he seemed more serious with, and the Giants to wind up staying with the Rams.
Speaker 2: I think it's what we discussed earlier this week, which is at this stage in Matthew Stafford's career, you want to play to pursue championships. You want at least your best shot of team success. You don't want to spend your last year or two or three years on a bad football team and leave the NFL with a sour taste in your mouth because it ended poorly. Asked Joe Thomas, how that went not great? So I think that this was his best opportunity to do so. Yes, he could help the Raiders get out of the cellar, out of the situation they're in to a certain degree. You make some additions around him, you can get a little bit of Commander's action going same thing with the Giants.
Speaker 3: But ultimately he lives in LA. I started to get.
Speaker 2: Philip Rivers vibes when it was the Chargers move from San Diego to La and he stayed in San Diego and would take that fancy van up North.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want to leave La.
Speaker 2: He's got a beautiful situation there with a team he's known well in an offense that fits in. It made a ton of sense, and he got most of the money in the leverage play. I think that he's all we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I'm really interested. So yeah, when we left off and we take late Thursday night, we said it started to suddenly feel like it's turning back in the Rams direction, and that's what happened. I find it very interesting we have not heard the financials on this deal that in fact, our guy Ian Rappaport says it won't exactly be all finished for the next couple of weeks. Generally, when you don't hear the numbers, it is not good for the agent because the Rams don't care about putting the numbers out there. They don't want to make their player look bad. They it's not they don't really care if it's out there at all, Why would they care? And yet we know that Matthew Stafford reportedly was offered ninety to one hundred million dollars guaranteed from the Raiders and potentially the Giants as well, and so what that would have been is probably a two year deal where it was basically guaranteed forty five to fifty million dollars a year. That actually sounds about right for Matthew Stafford where he's at. I will be very interested to see what the total is from the RAMS, but what I suspect is that they didn't end up having to move much at all. I don't know if they'll be guaranteed money into a second year. I think Matthew Stafford, either, if you're being generous, kind of had to go through this process and get close to the cliff to realize, Man, I don't really want to do this.
Speaker 3: And and oh god, they're going to call my bluff.
Speaker 1: Oh god, Well maybe it's not even a bluff so much as like I thought, maybe i'd get sixty sixty five from the other teams year and even more money, and I didn't quite get that, or I don't know. I'm being generous and thinking about just the human side of it all, like maybe you don't know how you're really gonna respond. Maybe you really do think this is bs. They're not paying me the right salary, it's not fair. But then you have to go through the process and you get to the end and that's when you can really know, Wait, I actually don't want to do this, and oh, this is unfortunate. The Rams aren't really making it work financially like I was hoping. But Sean McVay has been cool this whole time. We've talked the whole time, and that's more important to me.
Speaker 2: And the alternative is much worse, at least from a football perspective, and I think that that ultimately is what sways him towards staying with what he knows, even if he doesn't get the ultimate money that he wanted out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good call. I'm now thinking back to that Fits and Wit podcast check that out and everything that McVeigh said on that. It was almost like a recruiting session for McVeigh to Matthew Staffer, and he even vocalized that all the mistakes he made and the Jared Goff decision, which was that they were going to make that decision anyways, I think he'd learned from that and maybe use some of those lessons and was really open and honest and both, you know, Fitzpatrick and Whitworth were saying like this is all we ever want out of coach is just be open and honest, like, if you're not going to pay us the money, at least explained to us why and be upfront about it. And maybe, who knows, maybe that podcast appearance helped keep Matthew Stafford. But yeah, big swing and miss tom Brady's over two now really wanted Ben Johnson as their coach, really wanted Matthew Stafford as their quarterback. I don't fault Tom Brady for this because ultimately he was kind of playing a losing hand and it would have been a little crazy for them to extend any more financially. The reports were that the Rams only wanted a second round pick and that would have gotten the deal done. So apparently that would have been the trade terms, and I don't think that was like an issue. They would have gotten like one second round pick for him just.
Speaker 2: On the surface, though, a contract of a hund million dollars over two years plus the second round pick for a guy who is north of thirty five is a lot, you think, Yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Think one of the reasons that the Rams didn't extend further was unsaid in this entire talk about Stafford was he's coming off his worst season as a Ram.
Speaker 3: Or is most inconsistent. At least, he.
Speaker 1: Just wasn't as consistent. He was probably playing through injuries. And I think people remember the big pop up games the Bills, certainly the playoffs. The guy's always had his best when it matters most. That's worth a lot of money. But there were a lot of you know, one to five pm games against the Raiders, for instance, where they're like stuck on thirteen points the whole game. There was there was a lot more of those games this year than we've ever seen before. But for my family's sake, my daughter and my wife who were just just praying to the football gods that they were not going to have Aaron Rodgers as the Rams quarterback in twenty twenty five. They could live without Stafford, but they couldn't live with Rodgers. I am very happy about this move. Let's get to the big trade. The surprising move over the weekend. Deebo Samuel is a Washington commander Nick Schuck. They only gave up a fifth round pick for him. They apparently aren't going to adjust his contract. He's really got one year left on a pretty sizable contract that the forty nine Ers are eating a ton of dead money to make this move. Essentially, they're looking to do some addition by subscription subtraction and save a little bit against the cap and the Commanders at a really interesting piece for a very low price in terms of the trade haul the fifth round pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and honestly, I like the Niners have been kind of up against it financially when they have to move these pieces they have to do with the Chiefs kind of do, which is, let guys Walker move guys seventeen point four million cap number. I believe with Washington. Yeah, it's affordable for them. They needed a receiver opposite term McLaurin to take this offense to the next level. I was sitting in the suite at Lucas Oil when this news came down, and you heard a bit of like a pop, a little bit of a buzz, at least in the suite, if not in the stands for the fans that were there, just because on the surface a year ago, if you had said the Niners are trading Deebo Samuel to the Commanders, it would have blown your mind. Still surprising, Yeah, and it's interesting to see how this will fit.
Speaker 3: I wasn't. Still not one hundred percent certain. I like the fit, but I like.
Speaker 2: The idea of Jaden Daniels haveing another option and then seeing what Cliff Kingsbury can do with him.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's only three wide receivers on the rosters. Luke McCaffrey is number three, Deebo's number two, Terry mclaurin's number one. They need to add another another one or two in free agency, in the draft, and they will. I think the fit's good because it's the yards after catch offense. He's very different than McLaurin. You're not asking him to be a one. You might not even be asking him to be a two. When all is said and done, he is Deebo Samuel. I have my doubts that he's the same guy that he used to be. His success rate on catches for the forty nine ers this year was way lower than he's ever had. His yard per carry as a rusher three point two yards per carry. To me, that's a sign he's not breaking tackles. He's not consistent. You he started to look old. He's taken a lot of beating. But you mentioned the cap hit. I mean it's a one year deal. And this is what can happen when you have a lot of cap space. You know how much cap space they still have nick after.
Speaker 3: They had they had somewhere in the sixties prior to this.
Speaker 1: They still still have sixty because they moved some around even before it. They have sixty four million dollars after Deebo Samuel, So that's perfect. That's that's what cap space is for, is one year deals. You're overpaying a little bit for a guy that you think might get really motivated in this new setting and could be perfect with our young quarterback. And I actually think it's a good offense for him because it's an offense where you're not asking every wide receiver to be like a great route runner.
Speaker 2: No. I mean they were relying on Deanni Brown last year and a lot of days a keys like this guy, you can already move upwards, like the standard was pretty low outside of McLaurin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're absolutely right there. And I really thought it was interesting if you go back to what John Lynch said earlier this week. Number one. He mentioned how their second in cash spending since John Lynch arrived and their fourth in cash spending over the last four years and at some point you have to reset and start to get younger. And I'm thinking, oh, that's that's pretty interesting. That was before this trade. He's already saying, hey, we might not spend as much money. Then we get reports that Ian Rappaport has that they're listing on trades to Brandon Nayuk, the same guy who just had a holdout, and then they gave all this money for and it would be very complicated because they would take a lot more dead money to trade brand than Nayuk. That really says to me they regret that contract. He's coming off of torn acl So I don't know if that mark that's gonna happen, but that's really interesting. Right now without Deebo, they have Juwan Jennings and they have their first round pick from a year ago. Ricky Piersoll that they're listening on Nayuk.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean I honestly, when they did the deal and it was so prolonged, it was so dramatic. There were trade talks with the Browns and the Steelers and god knows who else wants a receiver who I felt wasn't worth that money to begin with. Injury aside. That just makes the matter even more complicated for them because you have to count on him coming back from it. Yes, it was kind of early in the season enough to think that he may be able to come back. But what you realize is that it was a bad investment pretty quickly, alright, And it hurts because you were I would say you were bullied into it, but you were kind of slowly dragged into it, like they just like bent back each toenail until you finally gave in and gave him the money.
Speaker 3: And now they're paying for it.
Speaker 2: But it's a weird moment of transition for them because if I doing this team itself is difficult because of all the injuries they suffered last year, Like how close are they they have to play paybrock Purty soon. What are they exactly trying to be? Is this the fluid rebuild of sorts or the transitional year that the Eagles undertook with how he rosen a few years back to let them two Super Bowl appearances in three years. Who knows, We'll see, but's it's definitely outside of the realm of usual business for them right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really weird. There's actually not many forty nine ers left from the twenty nineteen team that made the Super Bowl. No, I saw it, tweeted out, it's Warner, it's Bosa, it's use Check, it's Wishnowski, and it's George Kittle, and I think that's funny. Baby. Yeah, I think that's the entire list. So that's a team that's changing. And man that I thought the contract for Ayuk made sense at the time, but there was something weird going on there personally between him and the team, and that affected him and he did not look right and then he got injured. And man, Kyle Shanahan, those guys are tough on wide receivers and they seem ready to blow up the whole thing. So more on the space later. By the way, Rams, I should have mentioned they signed the biggest contract of the weekend was Alec Jackson, the left tackle top forty on my free agency list and one of the top tackles that was going to be available. So the money that they kind of save in theory by keeping Stafford for like a reasonable you know price, Hey, here, we're gonna help out. We're gonna we're gonna keep your left tackle. And yeah, the Rams now kind of re enter, you know, super Bowl contention status with Stafford there, Whereas you know the other teams that are looking for quarterbacks, Raiders, Giants, they're they're looking at the leftovers, which right now are Rogers, Darnold, justin Field, Russell Wilson. That crew so very very good.
Speaker 3: Way, it's way worse. You gotta keep going. It gets way worse.
Speaker 1: Yes, you got a very good weekend for the Rams there too. That was a good big bit of business. It was three years for under sixty million dollars for a starting left tackle that you like that you know that. That's pretty good and a great deal for Alaric Jackson who was an undrafted free agent too. The last big item in the news was also from our guy rap sheet. Good good week for rap sheet. I think in the end history will look back finally on him. The Jets are expected to cut DeVante Adams if they are not able to trade him. Kind of just confirms what we've been talking about, to be honest, So we were ahead of this story, but nice, it's nice to get confirmation. We'll see if a team wants to give up a pick for him, but he has a huge salary something like thirty two million dollars this year, So it's not like Deebo Samuel where it's a cheap one year. It'd be a very expensive one year. I think he's somewhat likely to get cut unless unless he can work out a contract with a new team that lowers that number.
Speaker 2: The cap number, according to over the Cap thirty eight point twenty five million. That's a lot for a guy going into the age thirty three season and you don't know what you're doing at quarterback right now. You traded for him because you were trying to help Rogers out and make him happy after he threw Mike Williams under the bus.
Speaker 3: The reason for.
Speaker 2: Him to be on the team no longer exists because you're moving on. So you felt like this was going to happen one way or another. You just thought that maybe they could trade him, and maybe they still will, but again, the alternative of the cut was always on the table. It's interesting because according to over the Cap, if you look at his contract in the way it is right now, if they were to trade him or cut him before June first, they're only taking on eight million in dead cap.
Speaker 3: You do it as a.
Speaker 2: Post first June first, and they clear almost all that money. Then they have two million in dead caps, So it makes sense financially, it makes sense roster wise overall entirely, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. And yet I don't know. I'm just gonna through a question. You would you rather have twenty twenty five DeVante Adams or Amari Cooper?
Speaker 3: I would have Adams.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have Adams or Chris Godwin coming off of a big.
Speaker 2: The Goblin injury happened, but like Week eight Godwin, Okay, you can get him a couple of years too.
Speaker 1: He's finally high up on my top one on one if he gets cut, like, he's pretty much the best wide receiver available because he's a true starting receiver. I don't think he's gonna get the money that he used to get. But he's not Stefan Diggs coming off in ACL you know he's not. He's not Diami Brown. He's not one of these other guys that are available. T Higgins is not gonna be available. So he will be a very interesting free agent. I'm looking forward to that. I need some juice on that free agent list, frankly, and so I'm excited about it. Just a couple other items I'll speed through. We'll take a break, and then we'll get to the combine talk. The Raiders are looking to potentially trade Michael Mayer. That was a little bit of a surprise second round pick who I thought played fairly well a year ago. But it's a new regime. That is from our friends at the Athletic Vic Taffer and to Sean Reid to Sean Reid's going to join the show later in the week. So there's a young, pretty good tight end. I think you could probably get for like a fourth round pick right now, not a crazy idea. Zamir White is also potentially available. And then the Cowboys are reportedly going to tag Osa Adigazua at twenty five million dollars if they can't get a deal done. There were reports in Dallas that they were very close to a deal. It't hasn't happened yet and so he is not going anywhere. That's a big number. Another reminder, get your contracts done early, till the last second you start playing. Ohsa Digiza twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean after they were quiet last offseason. Sometimes they're kind of making up for lost time. Across the board here with this team, So it makes sense to not let another guy leave, especially with a team that could use some help in their front seven. Really, so it makes sense to bring him back. I also think he's a quality player, maybe not worth that type of money, but if you can't get a deal done, you use That's why the franchise tag exists to back yourself up. But on the on the Raiders start real quick with Zamir White and Michael Mahyer, two guys that the previous regime brought in that never lived up to expectation. Mayor dealt with some off field stuff, some personal matters before he came back and was, you know, a little bit better.
Speaker 3: But then they got brock Bowers.
Speaker 2: They don't need a second tight end, and Zamir was like the succession planned to Josh Jacobs and the new regime comes in and.
Speaker 3: Like not blow that up too.
Speaker 2: So like transition, when you get a new coach in new GM, things like this tend to follow. These are the dominoes that fall afterward.
Speaker 1: Well, how about how about three and four years? You know it was it wasn't that long ago that it was Mayock and Gruden. Yeah, you know, it's like he was drafted by Mayock. It was Mayok and Gruden and then and then it flips up and it flips up again. I really liked John Spytech, having having met him, but also just what I hear about him around the league. He was He was a great guest on the show. I think they have the right people to turn around, but it does not mean it's going to be easy. Uh. What is easy is knowing who to call, uh when you want to talk all combined team. We're going to do that. After the break back on NFL Daily, Daniel Jeremiah let loose the news that we're we're dropping a new Draft season only podcast, Me and DJ ME and Move the Sticks coming out later this week Forties and free Agents. Forties in free Agents because you know what people need is more podcasts from me. Uh So that's coming up later this week, and that's come binding. The draft and free agency my favorite time of year. And I was thinking, like, who's been in Lucas Oil Stadium even more than Daniel Jeremiah. It's our guy Nick Shook. He's grinding the in person all twenty two and he's going to tell us who he liked best. Let's go through the skill positions to start, and I know some of them are disappointing, so I want to I want to start with some positive news. Let's talk about the running backs. Running backs are back shook. You give me one or two of your guys that you especially like, but man, this running back class is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a huge promise in a lot of these guys, a lot of guys who tested very well. I picked Quinhawn Judkins as one of my running backs because of how it looked, how good he looked in the passing game. He's like an artist when it comes to running routes.
Speaker 1: As a point, one of the two Ohio state running backs that we'll get taken top fifty, I would say.
Speaker 2: It, and we did not see Trevion Henderson in a comparison. Beyond that, Travion didn't do the drills, Judkins did and he looked fantastic in those areas. He also was largely solid in the running drills save for the deuce daily drill where he got a little caught in the bag. So he looked complete. Trevor etn. I think he just looks like a guy who is a pro. You know his lineage, you know, having an older brother in the league, coming from Georgia, He's been prepared accordingly, and I thought he handled the drills well.
Speaker 3: Testing landed him.
Speaker 2: In the Elite category as well at the Next Gen Stats Athletics as a score of ninety, so complete picture there as well. And then we also had bash Ol Tutin from Virginia Tech, a name that people probably don't know. I was largely unfamiliar because I'm not a Hoky fan that you know myself, not a big acc football guy. But he came out there and blew the doors off of the testing four three to two second forty jump, forty and a half inches in the vert ten foot ten broad jump. His numbers were crazy. And then he went out there and had solid work on the field as well. So those were my top three. I also liked Dylan Sampson from Tennessee kind of looks like the pro. Jaden Blue put down a super fast forty time as well, the running back from Texas, and Dovid Edwards tested well. Some things in the drills I didn't like that much. Kind of lended itself to how he kind of lost his job at Michigan this past year. But we'll see what happens because gms and scouts loved the testing results. When when that when you see the numbers, you think we can make something out of that.
Speaker 1: Guy.
Speaker 2: R J.
Speaker 3: Harvey another running back from use there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many. They literally were all running for four for four.
Speaker 2: To four two. Yeah, it was farious thing. They showed the board and it was just like it was just seconds different.
Speaker 1: And they're huge too. Like you went through all these guys and I and I would never push back on like where's my guy? And maybe he didn't do the drills? Actually a Marion Hampton, he did not do did he do the drills? He did?
Speaker 2: He tested like crazy and he's got a lot of juice, a lot of buzz for those who are paying attention to that.
Speaker 3: I didn't like his workout.
Speaker 2: I thought his workout was just a little sloppy in some of the drills that he did. That's things that can be fixed. And again gms and scouts get on board with he has the physical traits, we can fix the rest of that and code good coaching can So I wouldn't overlook him just in picking all combine team performance here the drills didn't stack up for.
Speaker 1: Me and did in Travion Henderson, I believe ran the forty, but he didn't do anything. That's another big boy and that what I mean. Okay, Hampton didn't like look great in the drills, but he finishes forty three out of about nineteen hundred running backs and relative athletics score. He is a five eleven, two hundred and twenty one pound man who who can run a low four to four. It's just like man. This running back class is one of the best of the last five or six years, maybe the best since that Joe Mixon, Christian McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook class. So it's going to be really exciting to see where these guys go. A lot of them will go in the top sixty picks, which is new for running backs.
Speaker 2: All right, and I'll take you this too before we move on to the next position group. With Tuton, we're on the street. He's gaining some serious attention. So keep his name on your radar as somebody who goes earlier than expected. Not saying he's the first round pick or anything like that, but just when his name flashes in April, don't be surprised if it's earlier than you anticipated.
Speaker 1: He blew up the combine. It's funny that Etm the second, the second brother, who was definitely helped by his combine performance, that that helped Travis rock rocket up the boards. All right, let's go. Let's go to the maybe the more disappointing part of the weekend, and we don't have to focus on the negative. But I guess let's let's combine them together. We can just talk quarterbacks and wide receivers and have a conversation there. I know a lot of the certainly the top quarterbacks didn't throw. I know you weren't thrilled with the wide receiver drills. Though, give me, give me the guys. Let's start with the positive that that you did enjoy watching from those two groups.
Speaker 2: So cam Orden Shaud or Shan Sanders did not participate, they watched. So it left an opportunity for a lot of guys who had questions to answer to come out there and try to answer those questions. And none of them really did. Nobody put together a complete performance. And maybe my evaluation is a little bit skewed because it wasn't that long ago that I was sitting in basically the same seat in that stadium watching CJ. Stroud put together a remarkable performance throwing on air. These guys just weren't consistent throughout the different routes. Some guys were good on short routes like Jalen Milroe, great on running the whip right, like tossing the ball to a route where a receiver runs in and cuts back out toward the sideline. Accurate there, Accurate on the slants. Didn't once the ball moved downfield, it was hit or missed because the deep corner he sails like three over the guy's head. The sale route, he's missing guys, but receivers are also not running routes to the right spot, so it was a difficult evaluation. He looks good in the deep ball and we knew he has that arm, but the dig for example, doesn't trust like drops back, hits the back of his drop, steps up and wants to throw before the receiver is starting to hit his brake, and you could tell he struggled with that. Will Howard was all over the place, not surprised, but was all over the place. Kyle McCord kind of good, but low ceiling quinn Ewers I don't know what's going on with his arm, but the oh my god, a lack of velocity seth hen again from Memphis.
Speaker 1: Often the broadcast was trying to give Quinn. Yeah, I'm telling you, not good.
Speaker 3: It wasn't good. I'm sorry. I'm sitting there and it wasn't good.
Speaker 2: Inaccurate, not a sirking throw, not good, not a good just lack of velocity. The whole thing, Hen again from Memphis was like lofting balls early but then showed some arm strength downfield later. Just a very weird group overall, where Jackson Dart had some moments where I'm like, I can see it, then the other moments where he missed guys. Tyler Schuck started strong, didn't finish as strongly as I would like him too, but I could see the vision there. He's a natural thrower, the kid from Brosmer Max Brosmer. I love his delivery, very short, compact, whip like, but missed some throws later in there. But again the receivers were dropping passes left and right. They weren't running the best routes. There was no separation in that group either, so it was really tough to have valued or at least give positive marks to a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the takeaway is just no orderback stamped themselves.
Speaker 2: You know who was the most consistent, Greg Brady Cook from Missouri.
Speaker 3: That's who made my team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not gonna get drafted. I Jackson Dart, Like there's a whole Jackson Dart mafia out there. I'm not totally sure why. Just whatever he getting, he's getting the Jalen Hurts comp which is not a bad comp to have for a physically talented but somewhat limited guy that that people believe in, that will improve as a pro. But if you're looking for him to have a rocket ship past where Jalen Hurts got drafted, which is you know, late second, I don't think it's happened. Yeah, a couple other quick quarterback things before you know, we go to the receivers. Is just I think consensus finally caught up to how the media was talking about it. Was like how the teams all along probably were re viewing it, which is Shudry Sanders is not looked at I think as like a close prospect to cam Ward that I think conventional wisdom is going to be. There's a decent chance cam Wards still goes number one, whether it's to the Titans or a team trading up, and that he is not going to fall, you know, past the first couple of picks, because he's a really intriguing quarterback prospect and that Sugar Sanders is just not at that level as a quarterback prospect. That and that's fine, Like he still might go top ten, he might go in the first round, he might go top twenty, but that there's there's a gap. I think most teams view there as a gap, and it just there is a logical grap And then the other funny note I thought was a Jalen Milro's hand size grew significantly between the Senior Bowl and the NFL scouting combine, like almost like half of I think it was like three ace of an inch or something that like it grew, I don't know, just doing stretching exercise. It just shows how silly this whole thing. I think he had sub nine inch hands at the Senior Bowl, which is like smaller than Jared Goff, which he's sort of the benchmark of like quite quite small hands. And his hands grew quite a bit, which really made me laugh. Give me, give me a couple of wide receivers that stood out to you the best, because we did have while we didn't have Tech McMillan, who might be the favorite to be the first wide receiver off the board. He's from Arizona, big, strong looking, number one type of receiver. There's some word that he might not even run at his pro day, which is like, that's interesting. We did have more of the first round type of receivers run and work out. Who were your favorites? Doesn't have to be from the first round category.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't get a Mecca, a Buca either, and so that kind of left us with a class that like the next couple of guys headlining it are like Luther Burden from Missouri, an unused player at Missouri who is a playmaker, but they had a revolving dor at quarterback.
Speaker 3: And you know, like I mentioned.
Speaker 2: Cook, but Cook got hurt during the season, so it was an inconsistent situation for him and his a struggle for him to produce. I felt as if he kind of, like when I talked running backs, looked like a pro, Like he he ran the gauntlet really really smooth, like tight to the line, catches were effortless, very natural.
Speaker 1: The little tracers they have on Network, it was beautiful when you were watching. When you were watching him, he does look like a pro Luther Burden from My Man knows.
Speaker 2: How to color inside the lines, and he certainly did at the combine. He didn't do the full battery of testing, but he threw it down a four four, one of the forty that basically checks the box for him.
Speaker 3: So he's on my list.
Speaker 2: And then it got kind of murky because a lot of these guys who ran well didn't participate in the drills, like Matthew Golden from Texas, or guys who did run well were very up and down, like Jalen Lane for Virginia Tech, Jalen Noel from Iowa State.
Speaker 3: So I got caught in this in between.
Speaker 2: Ground where I was like, I kind of have to lean toward guys who tested good, like well enough and looked consistent enough.
Speaker 1: I've got a candidate for you. Go ahead, how about Jalen Newell's college teammate from Iowa State, Jaden Higgins.
Speaker 2: Yes, now he's on my Honorable mentions list. He was kissed to making the top three.
Speaker 1: Yes, when they showed the Nicocollins comp. I was in six' four two fourteen check some, boxes very good times for his, size you, know a very good athletics, score looks pretty good in the. Drills to my, eye that to me is a guy with a decent, floor but like A Nico collins maybe has a nice. Ceiling someone viewed as, like, YEAH i don't, know maybe he's a, second maybe he's a. Third we'll see. That that sort of talent to me seems like a very intriguing second round type of.
Speaker 2: Player, Yeah and that's WHY i end up with the honorable, mentions just because WHEN i do this AND i go back through my notes like, that in some, years guys pop AND i know halfway through the, drills after looking at, Testing i'm, like that guy's gonna be on the. Team we didn't have those separation guys this year, necessarily so we had to kind of dig. Deeper So jim RAY, dk the receiver From, florida he made my squad for the same reason That Isaac tislaw From arkansas, did which is they tested well and they had the most consistent workouts to Where i'm watching them move And i'm, Thinking, OKAY i can see at the next. LEVEL i can see this guy being a producer of. Sorts they just kind of kept popping up over and over. Again they'd make a nice grab, here they'd run this route, well they'd run this drill. Well they never looked. Overwhelmed but the ceiling in general with this class was just lower because nobody popped like in past years like A CD lamb for, example or you, know you could run a Tank. Dell there's no Tank dell in this group that performed in these. Workouts interress THAT i was taken aback by watching them run their routes this time. Around so a lot of similar, guys AND i think if you're in the market for a, receiver if you're not in a position to take A teed, McMillan or in a mecca a buka who's just going to live in the slot in THE nfl, abuka then you're in a tough spot where you can wait and hope for the.
Speaker 1: Best for some of these, guys, well you Mentioned Matthew golden From. Texas he ran a four to, nine one of the fastest times ever for a guy who's over one hundred and ninety, pounds which is you, know a self selecting cutoff because he's he's about that, size but he's a guy with that sort of. Speed wouldn't be shocking if he snuck into the first round Like Xavier worthy a year, ago because he has pretty good tape in production as a college player, too he was already maybe in that Group Jalen noel who you, mentioned the top, broad the top. Vert so certainly people who help, themselves but maybe not an amazing you, know wide receiver. CLASS i still Like Tesz, johnson who happens to be under one hundred and sixty pounds and ran a slow forty but he had insane three cone and insane shuttle, time so all in the eye of the. Beholder WHEN i watched, HIM i, thought, like that guy is A rams. TYPE i could absolutely see him because they love the three, cone they love the. Shuttle they don't they don't mind a.
Speaker 2: Little, guys they could live between zero and twelve, yards win with instant, separation and then run after the.
Speaker 1: Catch, yes he could be like a better version of two two at, Well so who. Knows let's wrap. UP i guess the skill position. Groups we didn't talk tight ends. Yet Now Friday night seems so long. Ago to me WHEN i Watched Mason, taylor he just looks so. Clean he just looks like the guy that you're. LIKE i don't know if he's going to be An All, pro but he will be in the league eight or nine. Years did he make Your All combine?
Speaker 3: Team he's an honorable?
Speaker 2: Mention, okay now that this was a couple of days, AGO i can't remember if it was because the testing wasn't quite, there if it just didn't pop up that thing was like, fine, yeah BECAUSE i think his workout was very. Solid he looked very much like a pro ready, guy so it had to be ethic testing with. Him now That i'm thinking back about, it my top two, guys this was actually. TOUGH i think there's a lot of talent in this tight end. Class there's a lot of guys that are similarly affected that might look like different. Molds Like Harold fannin From Bowling green reminds me Of Isaiah likely and had some really nice moments in his, workout AND i think he put.
Speaker 3: Together a good overall.
Speaker 2: DAY. Cj duprey From alabama looks like a pro ready tight end who just does everything pretty. Well jake Brining stole From clemson kept putting together good reps down the field during the. Drills so we got a lot of those types of, Guys but the guys that ended up on top of my list Were Terrence ferguson From, oregon who just looks like a, smooth silky athlete at tight, end the modern tight end kind of exemplified in this.
Speaker 1: A little bit of a late riser Potentially let's.
Speaker 2: And then we also Had Joshua simon From South, carolina who IS i think just gonna be, Fantastic like he just he's, big he's a, unit and he moves, well he's not, slow he's super, athletic and throughout his WORKOUT i was just, like, damn this is a good, Player like this is the modern tight end who's going to come into THE nfl and make a difference for the right. TEAM i don't know IF i would call him like a like maybe A Gerald everett who was always a super athletic but inconsistent tight, end but a guy WHO i think just has a very high ceiling in the right.
Speaker 1: Situation Jerald everetts still catching them. CHECKS i, MEAN i, know, yes he's still getting it. Done so most of these guys would take that career even if that doesn't get you. Through it's funny now as we're going finishing the combine, HERE i kind of am realizing why people are going wild for this. Class and granted we saw more people sit out the combine than ever, well but here's, why because here are the classes that are. Awesome the running back class is. Awesome it's just not as sexy a position as it used to, be even though it should. Be the tight end class is. Awesome tackle class had like fourteen more people invited to the combine than a year, ago so it's very deep at like defensive, tackle.
Speaker 3: And the top guys didn't really. Participate mid round.
Speaker 1: Guards it's very deep like interior, line, yes running, back tight. End so it's a meat and potatoes type of. Draft And i'm glad you Mentioned Harold. Fannon if you guys listen to the podcast they did With Nate, tice really a fascinating player That i've gone to school on over the lot over the weekend and started watching, him AND i think this was a big weekend for him because people just weren't sure if he was going to be athletic or, not and he's a big, dude and he tested, well like he had a good enough, forty very good, forty and very good in the in the three cone and the short, shuttle and SO i think he's someone's, Like, okay he passes the benchmarks of what we want for AN nfl tight, end and now he could be a guy where, man a lot of these tight ends are going to GO i think in round two and certainly round three And, Hill.
Speaker 3: Yeah we're going to see a number of.
Speaker 2: Them and he would have made my team if his on field workout was just a little bit more. Consistent there were moments WHERE i was, like LIKE i went into it being like every once in a, WHILE i see a guy Where i'm, Like, GOD i really hope you crushed this BECAUSE i want to put you on the team BECAUSE i see your.
Speaker 3: Potential and he's one of those.
Speaker 2: Guys it's just that other guys usurped him with their on field.
Speaker 1: Performance, Okay, well let's wrap up the offense with the guys that did the workouts On. Sunday your last day was about the big boys the offensive line who cut your.
Speaker 2: Eye my last day is the best day because this is my. Wheelhouse, baby all about the, trenches and there is a lot of talent to work, with especially in the interior offensive. Line my center Is Jared wilson From. Georgia he is an athletic. Freak ninety nine the highest score you can get in next GEN stas athleticism score based on how he tested four eight four. Forty the only interior lineman for a second, no the only interior lineman to break twenty one miles per. Hour third fastest speed by an offensive lineman top speed twenty one point zero four miles per over the last three. Years so he started hot, right and then he goes post thirty two inch vert nine to four broad, jump did it all at three hundred and ten.
Speaker 3: Pounds and then he.
Speaker 2: Goes on the field and looks exactly the, Part like this is a guy that you could plug into like An eagles run scheme or another scheme LIKE i think about back four or five years, ago The stefanski wide zone scheme In, minnesota where like you need a guy to get to second level and make a consistent impact and do it with athleticism and strength and. Power this is the, Guy this is the center in the. DRAFT i was totally impressed by. Him every rep was. Good there's a ton of burst in spring in his. Steps he has wildly, light light, feet like featherweight. Feet so taken aback by how good he. Was so that's my.
Speaker 1: CENTER i should have started with offensive linemen because it just brings out the you, know the shine In shooky's. Eyes oh you, know we should have opened with, this all, right go with your second.
Speaker 2: One sunday is the best day because it's the shortest and it's my favorite position. Group then we go to. GUARD a lot of talent at. Guard i'm telling, you interior offensive, line there's a ton of value. HERE i ACTUALLY i had a really hard time picking between these. Guys gray's abel came in with a lot of pop from The Senior. Bowl didn't quite look as consistent AS i want him to be tested, well but didn't quite look as consistent on the, Field so he ends up in the honorable.
Speaker 1: Mentions joshua six inch, vertical by the, way, yes like a guard is kind of a.
Speaker 2: Freak there's some things missing from his. Game but the WAY i characterized it to the guy sitting in the suite with me today was that you put him in a phone booth he's winning that battle every. Time it's just that some of the other situations made Like North Dakota, state he ended up playing some tackle like it's hard to figure out exactly where he's gona. Play he's gonna be the interior. Lineman he could be a, center but you put him in that phone. Booth he's going to win as a bit of a brawler who's very. Agile Joshua, gray the guard From Oregon, state moves phenomenally. WELL i think he's going to have a great career ahead of him as. WELL i also Realized georgia was freaking loaded at offensive line BECAUSE i had a bunch Of georgia guys end up in the honorable mentions or on this. List we Had Dylan Fairchild Xavier trusts both on my honorable, mentions and THEN i also Picked Tate, ratledge.
Speaker 3: The guard From.
Speaker 2: Georgia who you to talk about a guy who can Move and maybe you Say i'm over valuing, movement but guess, what in TODAY'S, nfl you can't just be a brawler at the first. Level you got to get to the second level or really make a difference in the run. Game go look at The eagles go look At Saquon. Barkley that's why they. Succeeded And Tate ratledge is that guy at. Guard he is just so. Swift he's six,' six, he's huge and yet. He moves he's three hundred, eight pounds but he moves like he weighs two eighty and he put on a show in. The testing four nine seven forty thirty two, inch jump nine to five broad best three cone times seven point three. Eight seconds three cone is where teams like to get their guards, moving. Quick agile he did a. Trap drill it was a short pool is what they call IT.
Speaker 3: On tv but it's. A trap you're mimicking.
Speaker 1: A trap talk to me.
Speaker 3: And a lot of.
Speaker 2: These, guys basically the essential thing you want to do on a trap is your first step, is quick, it's backward and you swing open the hit because what you have to do is drive right behind the center's rear end and get through the hole before the running back runs. You over if you can't get through, the hole you can't be, a guard and you can't run, a trap and you can't. Play, football essentially he can not only, do it he was the only guy in the entire GROUP that i saw who was so used to doing it and had such light feet that he did this shuffle that was like, a blur like he'd done this reped thousands. Of times another guy struggle with, this STUFF and i, was like, oh MAN like i felt a tingle. INSIDE me i was.
Speaker 3: Just like this.
Speaker 2: IS incredible i love. This guy and then he crushed the rest of the. DRILL too i wrote a lot about him in The l. Combine team he's not, a brute he's not gonna win with, pure force but he's gonna win with.
Speaker 3: His FEET so i liked him. A.
Speaker 1: Lot okay that's a great shout out. BIG day i think as we get closer to, the draft people, are, realizing yeah there's not a premiere left, tackle prospect but there's a lot of potential in. This class but actually the overall class is pretty deep and. Pretty strong it's just not amazing in the top five. Or ten and, Who Knows aman membu MIGHT be. Ol one after. The day he had a, very, fat ten very. Fast forty he's twenty. Years old he finished twenty sixth out of thirteen hundred and seventy nine qualifiers. At tackle he. Moves well people questioning whether he'd go, to guard, but, like yeah there's. A chance there's a chance he could go in the top ten in, THIS draft i think because Whether it's Tim Or. Will Campbell will campbell had a, good workout but the short arms were were a little shorter even than people were expecting thirty two and, five eighths, which is, you know it depends on how much you care. About that but he had a great. Workout Too will campbell's. So interesting those, two, guys though did not make.
Speaker 2: YOUR team i have things to Say because membu did make. My team first off, At tackle campbell knicks, honorable mention and we'll Start With. MEMBOO membo i don't know if you watched the broadcast with the Sound, on greg but his first forty he screamed through the Entire forty i'm.
Speaker 1: Not, kidding yeah there was a guy like that yesterday who yelped like. A seal yes, he, Ran, yes.
Speaker 3: Oh, keep going? Keep going what?
Speaker 2: Is happening he was ah the whole way through and we're all. Like Wow and eric, at, home PROUD maszoograd i look across the way to go is how they teach You. In columbia eric and then we look up at the board and we see his forty times four to, nine one and it, was, like well it justified. The sound he had an. Excellent drill he was another guy very light on his feet considering, his size, very fluid. Very Comfortable and i'm curious about the PROJECTION because i think about a Guy Like, mkai beckon not the, same Player but makai cakes into garb With the eagles this year and thrives for the most part right and kind of replaces the Void That cam jergens left and he had to slide over the center and they don't miss. A beat and maybe that's what some people. ARE thinking i think there's some other comps that are outside of that with him moving, to GUARD but i could see him playing tackle and. Being fine doesn't define as a traditional top left tackle, prospect NECESSARILY but i see it in the physical traits and. Potential there the other guy that ended up There Was josh connolly because of the way he went through, his drills testing solid eighty five athletics in, the score but not as GOOD for i just.
Speaker 1: Like potential first round pick. Another ONE as i.
Speaker 3: WATCHED him i wrote in my notes he's.
Speaker 2: A stud, IN fact i texted a Friend in oregon grad who, we KNOW and i was, Just like connlee's. A stud and he goes to go back and Watch The big ten title game tape and you'll see, It TOO and i, Was like i've alread.
Speaker 3: WATCHED it i know what you're. Talking about but let's Talk about Campbell Because WILL.
Speaker 1: Campbell lsu potential top. FIVE pick i think.
Speaker 2: He was the number one tackle on a lot of people's boards going. Into this he goes to the podium yesterday and all the questions are about, arm length like you, just referenced and your arms are too short to? Play tackle what do? You think and he was pretty adamant that he's going to play tackle the.
Speaker 3: Next level improve.
Speaker 2: Everybody wrong he's been hearing it for years and he's ready, to do, you know find the same success they HAD. At lsu i'm telling, you this he'll he could be IN the nfl and be a, fine tackle but he's got the potential to be an all pro guard because he wins with, his feet not with. His arms, you know upper body strengthen his arms because his arms. Are short you could even see it in the drills there just wasn't a lot to force, up there but those feet are smooth, as butter and their. Feather light like a lot of these, other guys he had some of the best feet of any lineman in this. ENTIRE group i could see him being a phenomenal guard for a, long time as opposed to being a decent to slightly better tackle IN. THE nfl i, JUST wish i just wish that somebody would draft him, and say you are going to be. A guard he might be top five guard IN the nfl for a.
Speaker 1: Long, Time Look zach Martin And Elijah vera tucker are.
Speaker 3: TOO recent i Thought of martin.
Speaker 1: Of guys who got taken and teams weren't sure where they, would play and they got a little test drive outside and there they were. Better, Inside obviously martin is the. Ultimate Example quintin nelson never even really got tried at, left tackle but he was a guy that got moved Inside in both, those Guys certainly martin And Maybe quintin nelson will Be in canton. One day let's wrap up with. The DB's they went Back. On Friday maxwell harrison has the the FASTEST time i believe of anyone at the combine This year, kentucky cornerback and by all accounts was smooth in the. Drills too so a nice a nice combine for, undersized cornerback but one that has a chance to get taken maybe in the first round and certainly in the first, you know forty to.
Speaker 2: Fifty, picks yeah it kind of feels Like The quinnion mitchell story from, last year where a team banks on explosiveness and athletic potential and then, you know hopes the rest of it's a little bit cleaner in terms. Of technique he had a good he had, good, workout obviously was fantastic in, the testing, smooth confidence, made hands catches inside and outside, the frame and in a group that doesn't really have the top tier corners that we saw in, previous years even, last year, you know With A Terry on Arnold and mitchell and, you Know A cooper degene and stuff.
Speaker 3: LIKE that i think he's going to be the.
Speaker 2: First one off the board at the position and he makes the team from there a little bit harder to separate some of these guys kind of like, the receivers probably a little bit more, talent overall but kind of like the receivers and so brading.
Speaker 3: THESE guys I had Robert longer Beam.
Speaker 2: From rutgers it should have Been as, thomas's spot but he didn't test so incomplete picture there that kind of disqualifies you and just puts you in. Honorable Mentions So longer beam had one of the most complete workouts of anybody in testing in on field drills, as WELL and.
Speaker 3: I liked his performance.
Speaker 2: As well and another guy got to mention this just, For, YOU greg i don't want to, reveal All but i'm going to. Right now none Other Than kayleb bransaw from the Two Lane green Wave Makes let's go makes my team because of the performance he put down that included a four, three three a forty inch avert kind of borderline freakish numbers.
Speaker 3: From him and he was good on the field, As well so he likes LIKE.
Speaker 1: An, nfl player he'll he'll be, a nickel like a smooth player who can who can. Hit, inside yep. LOVE it I love he's going up and before, we go The safety's Nick emin wari just blew up the combined three pounds, you know had a four to four and just. Crazy numbers how did he look in, the DRILLS because i think he's someone who absolutely improved his draft stock to from a guy where it's like maybe he's in that first, round mock maybe. He's NOT so i have a feeling he's going to be in the top twenty of a lot of first.
Speaker 2: Round, mocks yeah he's the first, round pick he's the first safety out, the board but he didn't do, the drills so you just go off, the testing and because of, the testing just in.
Speaker 3: Complete, picture again he's an aauorable mention.
Speaker 2: This team but there is one other GUY who i think helped himself out, a lot maybe not with, the testing but with the way that he went through, those drills and It Was malachi Starks. From georgia he ran a four or five forty to thirty three, inch vert but on the field he. Was excellent he, was springy he, Was sharp he had the most complete performance. Of anybody he was a natural as a. BALL catcher i kind of felt like there was a bit Of A brian branch similarity in terms of testing versus on. Field performance THAT'S what i Felt about branch when he was in the combine a couple of years ago. As WELL so i see good things for. This guy he may have snuck into the first round.
Speaker 1: AS well i. Love That And, jday BURDEN who i don't think did the drills but ran a four to three nine, ninth overall by, the Way On daniel, jeremiah's board and a GUY like i think he's been getting some of that. Branch comparison people weren't sure about. His speed so it's one of those where like maybe he doesn't look like he plays, that fast but he, ran fast and so that's definitely gonna help. His chances so, you, Say amen warri's For safety off. The board there's some other Good, players starks, you know barn if you want to count him. AS one i guess he's sort of a. Hybrid there there, are good good enough. Defensive, backs look you were more than. Good enough you you you put in the work. This week are you going back? Out now, oh, God no i'm going to. GO now i have to have to fly. HOME tomorrow i hit my combine wall three. Hours ago it officially officially hit.
Speaker 3: The wall Luckily is.
Speaker 1: Sunday night right when he dug into, That, state YEAH.
Speaker 3: When i sat DOWN almost i, was like, OH god, i mean, come.
Speaker 1: On it's it's only eleven pm There. In indianapolis that's an. Early night, but yeah if.
Speaker 3: You knew HOW long i was out, last night you.
Speaker 1: WOULD understoke i, Love It nick, Shook everyone let's play that music and. Go home i'm really looking forward to. This WEEK it's i would say it's the colm before, the storm the free. Agency storm but there's gonna be, Trades happening there's gonna be. Cuts happening we will be there for you. All week we'll also preview the off seasons FOR the. Afc teams we'll talk about. Free agents we want To Sign patrick claybond with me on our. Next, show yeah when you're getting the all combined team from the, man himself you know football's back