Speaker 1: It's media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to me Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your guest host, Jannis Vitellis, aka the Latvian Eagle, or, as my lovely wife recently dubbed me. After a long day at a North Carolina beach, the Latvian Lobster, we need a lot of alo that night. Today we're joined by Brody Henderson, Randall Williams, Hansei Deshermeyer, Max Bard, To Tressa Croker, Rick Hutton, and Spencer Newhart. Spencer, this is your first time answering me Eater questions. Meet Eater your trivia questions. How does it feel to be on the playing side of the game, and how do you think you'll stack up against these players?
Speaker 1: I'm nervous. You should be far more nervous than if I was sitting in your chair because you've gotten comfortable.
Speaker 2: Statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel uncomfortable about not knowing what's next, right, Like I like with the script, I know what the next question is going to be.
Speaker 3: Control freak.
Speaker 1: It's right. I have a pretty good idea in my head about like the the route that the game is going to take, and like, oh, I think this will be a tough one. This is one people do well with. This is kind of a toss up between three choices. I don't like the unknown of.
Speaker 4: Well podcast studio too.
Speaker 1: Probably I think Randall is onto something that was only a joke. I really well, we'll see the.
Speaker 2: Questions. Neither did I.
Speaker 5: I hope so bad that Spencer gets a question he wants to argue about.
Speaker 1: I was like, no, we'll see. As far as how I think I'll do, I don't know. I would say I'm I would I would bet I'm not in the tier that like Brody Randal and Steve Are. I would say I'm not in that tier, probably a full tier below them, which makes me think of maybe like five today. I don't know if our winner gets seven or eight.
Speaker 2: Well, the Gennular index for today now usually I know we say that till later, but since you just brought up what you think your score is, I'll tell you the Jennifer Index was three.
Speaker 1: I hope I can get the Jennifer Index then, Oh that would make me happy.
Speaker 2: You'll get that. I got it. I got a couple bones for everybody in this one, because my goal. My goal is just to do a good enough job today that if this happens again where you're like, man, i'd really like to play again, or I'm out next week? Can you guess host that you know you'll be like, oh, yeah, he did a good enough job last time that I'll ask him to do it again.
Speaker 1: It'll be fun.
Speaker 2: So if you're not familiar, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there's a prize. Meat eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. Now to clarify, I'm not trying to take Spencer's job. I wanted a guest host for two reasons. First, so that Spencer could get to enjoy playing trivia. And I thought that because I thought it'd be fun to host, especially if I could come up with questions that would irritate Steve and Brody. Now, Steve found out that I was hosting and figured he'd be so irritated he decided to stay in Alaska an extra week, so he's not even here today. So Brody, it's all up to you to give me immediate feedback on my questions and hosting a bity.
Speaker 5: It's gonna feel a lot different arguing with you than Spencer, though I'm not sure how it's gonna work out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a substitute teacher is. Yeah, I get treated like a teacher who just gave homework on like the week of Christmas break.
Speaker 5: I feel like, yes, in high school, you'd be a smart ass, and you would have a tea, you'd have certain teachers.
Speaker 2: You'd call him by their first name, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know if I can do that with you, honest, Like with you, I can treat her like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like you can take a bit advantage of honest too.
Speaker 1: So are we intimidated by the substitute teacher? But that we can steamroll this guy because you don't.
Speaker 2: Know what you're getting. When you get a stub.
Speaker 5: You could get a real hard ass or a dude who just doesn't care. So I don't know what I'm getting yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean my go to to if I get in a tough place, I'm just gonna say f off. The next question, is it a good shot?
Speaker 6: All? Right?
Speaker 2: Before we start playing, we're gonna cover our zero percenter and this week the question is oh sorry. The zero per center of the question of the week is it tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode four to fourteen. The topic was trapping, and you guessed that nobody got it right. Name one of the three states that have a bobcat population over two hundred thousand Florida correct, anybody else?
Speaker 3: There's two others Texas.
Speaker 2: Correct, Wow, changed some information. There's one other who can name the.
Speaker 5: Third Alabama, Georgia.
Speaker 2: Georgia, good job. The incorrect answers that were given were Nebraska, California, Arizona, and New Mexico.
Speaker 1: Brody played that game, so did Yanni.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I remember being very surprised by all the southern stains, although we all know that there's a shitload of them in Florida and Texas.
Speaker 7: There's a shipload of everything in Texas, which has kind of become my go to guests for a lot of these types of questions.
Speaker 2: Smart onto some housekeeping. In a previous game of trivia, we talked about New Hampshire's Mount Washington and it's extreme weather. This prompted someone in the room to ask about the mountain's elevation to which Brody said, it was about you. Remember, did I say five K three thousand feet? You wish you would have said five k. This guy probably wouldn't have written in well. A number of listeners wrote in to point out that Brody wasn't even half right. Mount Washington's elevation is six thousand, two hundred and eighty eight feet, making it the tallest mountain in New England. There all right, So if you haven't if you didn't hear me earlier, the Jennifer index for today's game is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers. And with that we're on to the game of trivia. Play the drop, Philo.
Speaker 1: Win everything, just tend to win everything. Game on Suckers, Joanni, did you explain who Jennifer is?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I ventured her already twice in today's episode. I didn't know. I did say my lovely wife, but maybe I didn't say my lovely wife Jennifer earlier. Jennifer is my.
Speaker 1: Lovely wife and she played on the spouse's episode that we had about a year ago.
Speaker 2: That's right. That would have been a nice tidbit for me to add add in there. I thought about Colin Shelby and running up by her to keep on with this Shelby like this.
Speaker 1: I like where you got going.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Jennifer played in bits. She's so busy right now because her summer season is busy. She's running around a lot. So I'd catchure for like three questions and then should come back get another couple. All right. The first question today is in hunting, it's multiple choices always. The pad of a mountain lion has how many lobes one, two, three, or four?
Speaker 3: Throwing a bone to yourself there, I see.
Speaker 2: I see no fast answers so far. Yeah, well, I thought I had to sort of, you know, personalize it a little bit this episode. I talk about this stuff enough with all of my not all, but a lot of my colleagues, because I'm always asking for people to find mountain lion tracks for me and Mangus to trail. So I thought you guys might know it.
Speaker 1: This is how you help them identify. You tell them you got to look for something with this many pads.
Speaker 2: I actually have a little album that has some pictures of tracks, cads, stride lengths, little diagrams.
Speaker 5: All right, it does enough information you've sent me that before I.
Speaker 2: See does everybody have an answer? Yeah? Yes, Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. Brody going with one, trusts the four Rick four, Randall three, Hansi four Max two, Spencer three. We have a correct answer in the room. It is three. This is a common way to distinguish a lion track from similarly sized tracks like those made by domestic dogs and coyotes, which only have two lobes in the pad. A canine track will also be symmetrical, and it'll have nails in it. Feline's tracks are asymmetrical. Draw one. Is this you arguing? Or to improve the show?
Speaker 1: Brody handed his board to Yanni and he said, Yanni, draw on. It was pretty stern.
Speaker 2: Ye see how we thought you could identify a mountain line by drawing an X in the print in the snow? Is that not accurate? So you're talking these jobbies on? Then those are the lobes pad.
Speaker 4: Oh, I thought you were talking about the actual padded So.
Speaker 5: That's why I said one.
Speaker 2: This whole thing.
Speaker 1: Was the lobe.
Speaker 4: I still wouldn't got it.
Speaker 2: But you thought the whole thing was a little this part, Oh yeah, that's the pad. Then it has three lobes.
Speaker 1: That's good question.
Speaker 2: Line's tracks are asymmetrical. They have a leading toe on the inside of the foot. So if you find a track with three lobes in the pad lacking indentse from nails and the second toe from the left is leading the others, you're most likely looking at a track made by the right foot of a cat. If it's about four inches wide and near Bozeman, Montana on blick Land. This winner. Shoot me a d M on Instagram at underscore tell us and mingus and I will come to try and track.
Speaker 1: It was Tress's thing. Correct about you drawn X in the snow? Have you heard that?
Speaker 6: I've heard about I've heard that for canines though, yeh, canine is the X one exactly because it is symmetrical.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you can't drawn extra it it's a cat.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 4: So I've been looking at the wrong.
Speaker 2: Thing on the question too, which is conservation. What state capital is the highest above sea level? Nobody with a quick answer, hmm, Hansi's writing.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, that's a great question.
Speaker 2: Spencer's drawing more than writing.
Speaker 1: Just what my handwriting looks like now. I think if Steve were here, he would already say conservation.
Speaker 2: Point. You wouldn't say that. Though. I like the geography questions, Like I said, I'm not strong at them when when when they go to the eastern side of the country. But uh, you know, I actually had to cut out geography questions because I had too many still thinking.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm trying to my answer is a capital or.
Speaker 3: There's a couple I can think of that would be strong contenders.
Speaker 9: Uh huh, this would be a great like bar trivia question, not to say that it's.
Speaker 2: Question Brody is still thinking, Spencer, do you have an answer?
Speaker 1: I have an answer?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think we're just waiting on Brody and Max.
Speaker 1: For the state.
Speaker 2: I feel like you need a little timer here. I'm gonna have a lot of ideas about how to get this game.
Speaker 8: I mean, this is the guy who was probably the most simply passed the time listen when we played that game at home called uh it's the title game with the numbers no numbers, no numbers.
Speaker 1: If somebody could trademark that game, and.
Speaker 2: You yell the thing when you only have one tile left fish but there explicitly says you only have two minutes, and we always start the timer.
Speaker 1: All right, now we're looking for the capitol, right, not the state.
Speaker 2: Correct, you're listening to the capitol state? What state cap And you're hey, that's tricky because when I first wrote the question, I said which state's capital, and in that case you would have answered the state. But the answer is a city.
Speaker 3: I don't know how tricky that is. Tricky which state's capital versus which state capital? I don't know. I don't think it's that tricky. I think we're good.
Speaker 1: Let's just.
Speaker 2: We're already going Salt Lake City, Tresa, what I was ready? Listen, We're not. We can't.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'm gonna have got to the philm camp to just say we're not re recording this because we can't. The questions have been asked. So we'll come back later and.
Speaker 1: Finish the up real quick to see what happened.
Speaker 2: As long as the room is called comfortable. Tresa Denver, Rick, Helena, Montana, Randall Denver, Hansei Denver, Max Denver, Spencer Denver. We do not have it, Ah, Santa Fe, New Mexican.
Speaker 3: That was my next guest.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll be back after the gas leak. Stay tune.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Sabot I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I just wanted to do it one time so that Spencer would get to enjoy. Are you enjoying yourself?
Speaker 1: I am are re recording, Phil, We're recording it. I am enjoying it. The gas leak was a nice touchy on me. I'd never considered having an emergency interruption before in a show, but you pulled it off.
Speaker 3: I suggested the kitchen fire. He went with a gas leak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was good.
Speaker 2: It worked out well for you too, because it turned into a beer break. Other people just decided to have a cold, sparkling beverage with No. Oh, I'll go home or check your emails, or check you emails. I got a phone call in But anyways, let's get back to trivia. The last question was what state capital is the highest above sea level. Unfortunately, nobody got it wrong. Santa Fe is the answer, at seven one and ninety nine feet. It sits in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, which also holds the state's highest point, wheeler peak, coming at thirteen thousand, one hundred and sixty one feet. The next highest state capitals are Cheyenne, Wyoming at six thousand, eighty six Denver at five thousand, two hundred and seventy six, Carson City, Nevada at four thousand, six hundred and eighty two, and routing out, rounding out the top five Salt Lake City at four thousand, two hundred and sixty five.
Speaker 1: Very interesting, very good price. Question till thank you to If I were going to redo that question right, and obviously if I was trying to make a stronger tie to the media universe, I would say something like, in your factoid, you'd like nestled in the San Bonita Mountains or whatever, this is the highest state capital in America, and then it'd be like a public lands tie. So he was right there. I'd liked it was a good question.
Speaker 7: Though, Wheeler Peak in the adjacent Blank National Forest.
Speaker 2: You guys have been hard on you.
Speaker 8: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think I appreciate appreciate the feedback.
Speaker 1: That's when Yanni says question three.
Speaker 2: F off Question three cooking. This is the thin, tacky, lacquer like layer that forms on fish flesh after it has been brined and then dried, giving smoke something to adhere to Brody with a quick answer as I expected with this question. That's my bone. Yes, yeah, Well, you being a meat eater or a trivia master. There's gonna be a couple in here for you, but yeah, gotta have it if you want. Yep, that's right again. The question is this is the thin, tacky, lacquer like layer that forms on fish flesh after it has been brined and then dried, giving smoke something to adhere to. A couple more answers coming in slowly, Tresa and Rick still thinking. How are you doing down there?
Speaker 5: Randall?
Speaker 3: Not happy.
Speaker 2: My worst fear coming into this is that it'd be like a ten for ten for everybody. Dude, the questions were so easy.
Speaker 1: I don't know this answer, but I know Steve provided it in the past as an incorrect answer to a different question.
Speaker 7: I don't think that's the right answer. That was my initial answer. I don't think it's the right Maybe i'll write it down anyway.
Speaker 1: Oh you think you know what I'm referring to?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Enough, chit chat there, boys.
Speaker 3: I just don't think it's I don't think what do.
Speaker 2: You think it's? Spencer? You know you don't know, like the Games shift.
Speaker 1: I didn't think he'd have that recollection.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your hand on that question. Brody with pellicle Tressa no answer, Rick and A Randall maya globe in Hansei pellicle max silver Skin, Spencer Rind We have a correct question. It is pellicle.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 2: The pellicle is formed when proteins from the meat bond as they dry on the outside of the fish. The pellicle also helps to seal in moisture. It is a crucial step in smoking fish and any meat for that matter. If you want to try smoking fish and making your own pellicle, check out Wade Chewong's recipe for smoked catfish at the meat eater dot com.
Speaker 3: So is the pellicle composed of those proteins?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: Are those myoglobin proteins?
Speaker 2: I do you know what's interesting about this question? I can tell you that there is not a lot besides what I've told you on the internet exactly about the chemical process of creating pellicle.
Speaker 1: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: That was surprised. Kristin wanted me to like Instagram famous chefs and stuff. I'm like, bro, I don't have enough time for it. So we're gonna We're gonna go with what I found. Good way to get it.
Speaker 5: Is run a fan over that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's right. Question one Question four hunting based on sales data from Federal Ammunition. What is the most popular bullet weight in thirty caliber bullets? So I'm looking.
Speaker 3: For a weight, so this is in loaded.
Speaker 2: Correct, So cartridges not well loaded cartridges. What they said looking for a weight bullet weights for answer is in bullet weight, but yeah, what they sell in cartridges? Gotcha, Brody, quick answer. Spencer's got an answer?
Speaker 4: So this is this is the grain?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, hmmm.
Speaker 4: Seemed not a big raffle guy.
Speaker 1: I know you were quick, Brody. You think you have this one?
Speaker 2: Right? Man?
Speaker 5: I shot at thirty caliber for a long time, and yeah, I hope so, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of different ways out there. But yeah, there's for a lot of different things.
Speaker 3: Federal only loads loads certain bullets. They have their own bullets.
Speaker 6: But well, I'm not going to say it because there's one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I put down a shock and weight.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be incorrect.
Speaker 4: I'm joking.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? No? Not yet?
Speaker 6: Hold on, yeah, I'm still I'm between three.
Speaker 4: You got five seconds?
Speaker 2: Come on, Rick, you're a gun guy.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, do you have a favorite question today? Annie and your batch?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do Okay, I saved it for the end.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: It's a tough one. Yeah, but we're all going to learn something again. Based on sales data from Federal Ammunition, what is the most popular bullet weight in thirty caliber caliber bullets?
Speaker 5: I might change my answer.
Speaker 2: Very good question, you're honest. It's a it makes you think about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I'm not going to change it.
Speaker 1: Fine, No, let's go, okay, let's just do it.
Speaker 2: Ye, reveal your answers. Brody one hundred and eighty, Tressade two point zero nine grains, Rick won fifty, Randall won sixty five, Hansei won sixty five, Max one forty, and Spencer one hundred and fifty grains. We do have correct answers in the room. It is one hundred and fifty grains.
Speaker 1: Yess job, guys.
Speaker 2: It's dang thirty thirties.
Speaker 6: Now, Brody's the three oh eighty whatever.
Speaker 2: I guarantee it correct. That's Brian Calvington from Federal and he replied to me that the rifle team went through recent database on a five year average and surprisingly it is the one fifty grain bullet being driven by the thirty thirty and three oh eight one hundred eighty grain is second and then one sixty five. I would have guessed won eighty myself. If you like to know more about the thirty thirty, check out Jordan Siller's Caliber Battle article thirty thirty win versus three point fifty legend at the Meat eater dot Com.
Speaker 1: Well, Donianni, yeah, I really like that question.
Speaker 4: Honest guys making me feel I'm slaying for my bone.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't know who exactly was going to be on the show. Max. Here we go on to question five. It's fishing. I'm going to tell you how to tie a specific knot, and it needs you to tell me what knot it is. Pass the working end of the line through the eye of the hook, Wrap it five times around the standing line, Pass it through the first loop between the hook and the first wrap, Pull the working end and the standing line to tighten the knot, Clip the tag in, and you're finished. What is the name of this knot?
Speaker 5: This would have been a good one for the kids episode.
Speaker 2: I told you I had a bone for everybody of BARROTI. Max is thinking, still, Oh, you got an answer written down? Okay, does ever have an answer? Hansey?
Speaker 1: Oh, I think there's read it again. I want to hear it again.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you how to tie a specific knot. Tell me what the knot is. Pass the working end of the line through the eye of the hook, Wrap it five times around the standing line. Pass it through the first loot between the hook and the first wrap. Pull the working end and the standing line to tighten the knot. Clip the tag end, and you're done. What's the name of the knot? Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 3: This is like a reading comprehension.
Speaker 2: Quiz Brody Clinch, tress Side fisherman's knot, Rick Clinch, Randall Clinch, Hansei Improved Fishermen's Max Improved Clint Inch Fisherman's not from Spencer. The answer is Clinch knot. I would have also accepted Cinch. I am unsure if this knot is ever called a fisherman's I think it's.
Speaker 1: A similar knot, but I feel like it stopped one step short of becoming a fisherman's not.
Speaker 2: Improved the fisherman's make one, So unfortunately, Max, we're not going to be able to give it to you.
Speaker 4: Phil, can you give me a half point.
Speaker 2: The Clinch knot is a foundational knot tied by millions of anglers worldwide, also referred to as the cinch. It's probably the easiest and fastest not to tie. It's strong, although you may experience slippage with raided lines.
Speaker 4: To improve clinch UNI for braid or the improved clinch.
Speaker 2: That was question number five. So Phil, can you give us a score update please? Yeah? I love to. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Okay, We've got Max and Tresa yet to make it on the board of zero points. Hansei has one point and then it's tight game. We've got Brody, Randall, Rick and Spencer all tied up with two points a piece.
Speaker 2: I thought I was out of it. Yeah, I got it. Now I got to concentrate. Yeah. I think there's a bunch of you that were thought you were out of it, but with two you are still in it. I'm feeling a little bit bad for making tough questions now hard as substitute teacher. Yeah. Question number six is hunting. Sarco cistis found in dabbling ducks is a disease more commonly known as what Max. If this ain't a bone for you, I don't know what is? Oh my goodness, sarco cistus found in dabbling ducks, is a disease more commonly known as what HANSI also a waterfowler, and I would hope that it would have been a bone for you as well. I got a bone to pick with you. Oh boy, did I mispronounce it? We'll get there. I knew this would happen, but it's part of playing the game.
Speaker 1: What would happened that there'd be a bone?
Speaker 2: I question six before the first bone to pick came.
Speaker 1: About a grind excited to witness this. I hope you thoroughly pick it. Brody. I'm just going to sit here and enjoy whenever goes down.
Speaker 4: Did you find any in the ducks we killed last de summer?
Speaker 3: This seems like.
Speaker 2: Did you find any what?
Speaker 4: Well, let me tell you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the space that I have on right now, I've seen Spencer make many a time. No, when it's like I can't give away anything from my face about what they're trying to ask of me, poker face. Yeah, is everybody ready to reveal their answers?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't have an answer. I don't have an answer.
Speaker 2: Probably would you like a little more time, Randall?
Speaker 3: No, that's fine.
Speaker 2: You can go ahead, go ahead and reveal your answers. Brody with rice breast, tressa, no answer, Rick bird flu, Randall and no answer Hans the avian flu, Max, rice breast, Spencer, rice breast. The correct answer is rice breast.
Speaker 3: There you go, Max.
Speaker 2: The parasitic infection is called sarcocystis. The infection does not affect the duck. There are no signs of infection other than the visible cysts. The duck or other prey animal is the intermediate host, and pretaders like skunk's coyotes foxes are the primary. When the predator eats an infected duck, the cysts open up may and produce microscopic eggs, which are poofed out the duck accidentally ingest the eggs, usually at water sources. The eggs hatch, The larvae find their way to major muscles of the duck and form the rice shaped cyst. Freezing or cooking meat will kill the parasite, but most hunters discard infected meat. To see a photo of rice breast, go to my instagram Giannis underscore Ptellus and look at the post from December thirty one, twenty twenty two. Brody it's not real bad. I'm just wondering whether it should be called a disease or not. Oh, or a parasite, you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Did any of the ducks that you and Max killed? Did they have ice breast?
Speaker 2: They did?
Speaker 1: Okay, what did you guys do with them?
Speaker 2: I ended up I put him away and then I ended up just cooking them and feeding them to Mingus.
Speaker 1: What Domingus think? Any feedback? That's good.
Speaker 2: We're ont of question seven, which is conservation, and this great question comes to us via Logan Landman. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia atthemeaeater dot com. For his question. Logan is going to receive what can I throw him, Spencer.
Speaker 1: He's going to get books signed by Steve.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go, Logan.
Speaker 1: Eventually, when the board game is now, people are going to get a board game that's signed by us. But until then they get books signed by Steve.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: The question is what tree species dominated American forests and almost went extinct in the early twentieth century due to disease. What was the topic again, conservation? I think that fits one hundred percent in there. Rick Quick answer random quick answer. Rick, you're a forest forestry major major, So was this an easy question for you? Yeah? I feel like it.
Speaker 6: Maybe I'll get slapped and have got wrong.
Speaker 5: But I feel like when when did you say it almost blinked out?
Speaker 4: Nineteen twenty?
Speaker 2: Early twentieth century?
Speaker 4: Got the twenty part right.
Speaker 2: Again? What tree species dominated American forests and almost went extinct in the early twentieth century? Part of the good point?
Speaker 1: Brody stop.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think we can give you that can I'm gonna split it in half and tell you that the it is the eastern half of the United States.
Speaker 1: Didn't change his answer.
Speaker 2: Please reveal your answers. If everybody has one, Brody goes with American elms, oh Rick, American chestnut, Randall Elm Hanse, the elm max, American elm, Spencer chestnut. The correct answer is the American chestnuts.
Speaker 5: Oh, I like my ally, Yeah, good one, because I thought that was in the fifties when that happened.
Speaker 1: That was Is there any while room could have they affected what's the disease? Could have the disease affected elm and about knocked them out?
Speaker 3: There are a lot of folks that thought it was elm.
Speaker 2: Now it's.
Speaker 1: Dutch elm disease was like later in the eighth century.
Speaker 3: I think it was.
Speaker 6: It was not far behind Dutch elm disease was early twentieth would have been American chestnut Dutch elm, depending on the state and what part because it hit like the east coast, different than depper Midwest, which uh would have been like later like mid.
Speaker 2: You could say early mid to late. You can break it into that.
Speaker 1: Do we have any extinct trees in like the United States?
Speaker 6: The American chestnut I think is the one that's the closest to the very close I mean, and the biggest. There's a couple of big ones. I think the biggest ones still could be wrong about this. True trees would be in a Tennessee what true field.
Speaker 1: Of trees theress like.
Speaker 2: The biggest. Yeah. Chestnut blight was brought to the US in nineteen oh four through the introjuct introduction of Japanese chestnut trees to the Bronx Zoo. Within forty years, the nearly four billion strong American chestnut population in North America was devastated, and only a few clumps of trees remained in Michigan, Wisconsin. In the Pacific Northwest, it is estimated that in some places, such such as the Appalachian Mountains, one in every or hardwoods was an American chestnut. Pretty amazing to think that that went down. Onto question eight hunting, And this is your second geography question for the day. What Canadian province sits between Maine and the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. Again, the question is what Canadian province sits between Maine and the Gulf of Saint Lawrence. Brody, how do you feeling about this one? So so, Spencer, I.
Speaker 1: Feel okay, or I might be really embarrassed. You could tell me this is on the other side of the continent, but I think I think I've got a good shot at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Research in this question, I was surprised how many provinces Old Canada asked this is hunting. I see. I just feel like all geography is always related.
Speaker 6: To hunting or conservation in my mind, or conservation, I agree, honestly, I like it.
Speaker 2: Rick, You're being a great cheerleader.
Speaker 6: Oh good, well, everyone you know Brody's beating him up.
Speaker 3: So Rick still has that.
Speaker 1: Questions?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was my bonus.
Speaker 5: Honest came in here thinking everyone was gonna get every question right.
Speaker 3: I think I have two questions right. That's brutal.
Speaker 2: No, I think brutal brutal. Does everyone have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Brodie with Quebec, Tresta Alberta, Rick Newfoundland, Randall Newfoundland, Hansei Newfoundland, Max Newfoundland. Spencer with Nova Scotia. We do not have have a correct answer in the room. The answer is New Brunswick, Brunswick STUW. New Brunswick is one of the three maritime provinces, the other two being Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Spencer, You're probably the closest. It is bordered by Quebec to the north, Nova Scotia to the east, Gulf of St. Lawrence to the northeast, and Bay of Fundi to the southeast. Hunting opportunities include moose Bay or whitetailed dear turkey, as well as waterfowl. I was quite surprised to hear that they pretty much have the.
Speaker 1: Gamut ignorant American No no idea.
Speaker 2: Phil. That was question eight, So that brings us up to another score update. Please not much has changed.
Speaker 8: No, it's correct. If we have to say goodbye to Tresa, Max and Hansei. Technically Randall is still in the game with two points. We've got Brody and Rick with three, and Spencer Newharth is in first place with four points.
Speaker 2: I don't like this position, you know, And I forgot to mention up top I should have had it in the intro is that you guys will just have to trust Spencer and myself that I did not did not let him read this script whatsoever. No, because he'd have like seven right, Spencer.
Speaker 3: Smarter than that.
Speaker 2: If I were cheating.
Speaker 7: If I were cheating, I make sure that I was two questions ahead with two questions left.
Speaker 10: That's exactly how well then you know I'm not cheating. I'm just think, to me, this is.
Speaker 2: My favorite question of the day here of the game. It is cooking, and I'm gonna be just extremely impressed if anyone can get this one, because I would not have gotten it. When butchering an animal. What is the process of removing the trachia and esophagus called?
Speaker 4: Can I leave.
Speaker 2: No answers, no scribbling. Brody at least looks like he's thinking that there might be something in there again. When butchering an animal, what is the process of removing the trachia and esophagus called? Max has gone to checking Google on his phone.
Speaker 4: No, I'm working.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding. It's just my favorite because I was just so excited to learn about this last week.
Speaker 4: Oh when you did your sheep correct.
Speaker 1: Mm so if you attended Yanni's butcher school, you would know this one, you would, okay.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm okay, whether that would be It be interesting to see if any of those children or retained that information that I gave them. All Right, everybody that does have an answer or is gonna have one. You guys ready, Max, that's good, go ahead and reveal your answers. Brody's going with plumb tressa no answer, Rick Road housing is Randall neckcotomy, Hansei tracheotomy, Max dethroating, Spencer throat bottomy.
Speaker 1: I like Han's answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely the closest. The answer is weezending.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Webster's Dictionary defines weazened as throat gullet, also trachia. Removing the trachia and esophagus is thus weezending. I learned this the other day from meat Eater contributor and Borgmann after she weazeneded a domestic you that I used for a field dressing demonstration and an outdoors skills camp held at the Jack Creek Preserve. Awesome location, awesome staff. For more info on their camps and other activities, check out Jack Creek Preserve dot org. And for more great information on butchering and cooking wild animals, check out and his contributions to the Mediator website. I especially like her article how to clean and cook liver. Anyone that reads this article will have the confidence to pack out and deliver this fall and turn it into something tasty. You can also find Anna talking about butchering on Instagram at Anna Borgmann g M A N.
Speaker 4: I really like following her on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Content's great.
Speaker 2: Are you guys happy that you now know the word weazened and weazened it?
Speaker 5: I can't do some weasing this fall.
Speaker 1: I already forgot it by the time.
Speaker 3: Five minutes ago.
Speaker 2: I thought that someone might say, well, why would you reason? Right? Well, y would you? Well? The esophagus, right, I can have a lot of bacteria in there because of the food that's still sitting there, right, and so the way she did. She basically cut the throat and was able to access that, pulled the esophagus out, tied a knot in it, and sort of reamed it as though you were going to ream the anus preparing to field dress it. Right. And then when later when I gutted it was and I just pulled, you know, I grabbed it and the esophaus strake and pulled the hearts and long and everything out. It also came right on out of the animal.
Speaker 1: Now, Anna has creative uses for like every bit of a ful in a critter. Is there anything that she can do with the esophagus and trachea?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I haven't heard about it.
Speaker 5: I Spencer, your head's full of stats. What's the lowest score to ever win this game?
Speaker 2: We've had?
Speaker 1: I think it was like the second or third episode we had a four. We've had a few fives and six is, but for like the last year, I tried to keep it above six.
Speaker 5: Hear that you honest?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well that it seems like that's gonna be the biggest feedback, Phil, Can you give us another score update with one question left?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it is down to Spencer, Rick and Brody Spencer still has his four and Rick and Brody have three points.
Speaker 4: Come back.
Speaker 2: I believe we're gonna have some correct answers this one. It's gonna get interesting. I think you might be a little too optimistic. Yeah. Question ten is hunting. In the nineteen seventy two movie Jeremiah Johnson, Jeremiah finds a frozen mountain man. The mountain man had written a note which is now frozen to his chest. Quote, I Giannis Potellus, being a sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. Later he added, it is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that killed me. Anyway, I am dead yours truly? What is this mountain man's name?
Speaker 1: You know this one? Brody?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I do. Rick Man. I I'm not gonna say rand He's gonna be real mad at you if you don't. Yeah. I'm a little surprised Randall, because you're kind of a movie guy too, right.
Speaker 5: I don't know that I'm a movie Do you know what Randall's been working on lately?
Speaker 2: No book about mountain man? No, No, you might have to tell me that this is a fictional mountain man, not even though.
Speaker 3: I if I think about this for a while, I could. I think I could come up with it.
Speaker 2: But like thirty seconds or thirty hours.
Speaker 7: Oh no, I'm just not working at it because I've already lost and I'm a sore loser.
Speaker 3: It's gonna delight me when I hear the right answer, though I don't say I knew it.
Speaker 1: I knew it, so we're going overtime, I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I could be okay, I could be way over confident and end up looking like a jackass.
Speaker 3: I knew I was confident.
Speaker 2: Rick's answer, Please reveal your answers. Brody hatchet Jack Testa no answer, Rick, hatchet Jack, Randall, no answer, Hansei Max question Mark, Spencer Herman. The correct answer is hatchet Jack. Later in the movie, Jeremiah runs into del Juw and Dell ass of the rifle. Ain't that hatchet Jack's rifle? Jeremiah response, yep. Dell asked, how did you get it? Jeremiah says, found him frozen to a tree. Del lads, damn. Hatchet Jack was a wild one. He was living two years up in a cave on the Muscleshell with a female panther. She never did get used to him. So do we have a winner? Fill are we going to We're.
Speaker 8: Going to a three way tieynes Brody Rick and Spencer.
Speaker 2: Ty tremendous.
Speaker 8: I think just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I never liked it.
Speaker 4: They fell off, man, It never gets old.
Speaker 2: Never do people like, do we know this? Is this the stat we've come up with. Do people like when episodes go to tiebreakers?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Mostly? I think, well when it makes it a little more entertaining to a lot of folks play within a group, like their family or their coworkers or whatever, and they'll often end in a tie and then have no way to break that tie. So it's been requested that I have a tiebreaker every episode for that instance. I can't come up with that many good numerical tiebreakers, so they're just gonna have to settle for having tiebreakers. When we have tiebreakers, what did.
Speaker 2: You do for the game?
Speaker 5: You just like like a block of tiebreaker cards.
Speaker 1: There are fifty cards that are tiebreaker cards that are just like ours where they are numerical.
Speaker 4: This question is probably have to do something with geography.
Speaker 2: A good tiebreaker because I don't have a backup tie break question, so hopefully we won't have another. So it's three way with Rick, Spencer and Brody. Is that correct? Correct? All right?
Speaker 3: But everybody should play along.
Speaker 1: Extra donation if somebody gets a dead nuts.
Speaker 2: All right, and I believe you possibly could. This great question was given to me by me Eiter Managing editor Jordan Sillers. A grain is an obscure unit of measurement still used to weigh bullets and powder charges? How many grains are in one pound?
Speaker 8: Sorry, I don't have this question on the slide, so you just have to look at this lovely logo that Hunter Spencer created.
Speaker 2: Love that logo Hunter again. The question is a grain is an obscure, obscure unit of measurement, still used to weigh bullets and powder charges. How many grains are in one pound?
Speaker 4: Broody really wants to win.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to look like a fool.
Speaker 4: You don't have to worry about that because I have that handle.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've got a way of figuring this one out.
Speaker 4: A square plus B squared you can see squared.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: When I asked this question to a group of botanists, the other day, somehow somebody knew how many grains there were in another measurement and thus got to the correct answer.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Nobody's super confident. I'm getting the bombers.
Speaker 6: I knew this at one point. I remember reading it and knowing and like talking to people about it, and it was so long ago, though, I can't.
Speaker 2: Maybe I got close.
Speaker 1: But it's tough.
Speaker 6: One grain is so obscure. Yeah, you never and you don't compare it no way.
Speaker 5: You said one pound, right?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 4: How many grains are in one pound, which is sixteen ounces?
Speaker 2: That's correct?
Speaker 1: Easy. I'd like to win this. Max.
Speaker 2: Do you feel confidence? Spencer? Okay?
Speaker 1: Max close? Oh, I don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Ricky got an answer, Spencer's got an answer. Brody, do you have your final answer?
Speaker 1: I'm more worried about Rick than Brody.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, folks, go ahead and reveal your answers for the tiebreaker. Tresa coming in at two thousand and thirty seven, Randall seven eight hundred, Hanzi three thousand, Max two thousand and seven hundred, Brody sixteen hundred, Rick seven hundred, Spencer two thousand and one. The correct answer is seven thousand, making Stenser winner. Yes, nice work on your wowful thank you. It's washed over me.
Speaker 1: Now I'm no longer nervous.
Speaker 2: You should.
Speaker 1: Now I feel like I can enjoy it. After recording for forty minutes. Up until now, Yanni, I was almost not enjoying it. This is great.
Speaker 2: We might have to go have a celebratory beer after this together. Because I survived hosting the first episode, you somehow come in and win.
Speaker 1: You know what, winning is fun. This is more than I enjoyed winning, more than I did hosting.
Speaker 8: Despy Randall trying to sabotage the whole game by loosening a pipe somewhere.
Speaker 2: In the Yeah, at this point, you might have to the rest of the crew just want to invite me back, just so that I can give you a loss, so that you know what it feels like to be on both sides of the coin.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe Rick, Rick, if I was you, I just said I forgot one zero.
Speaker 6: I was just like, man, it was one zero off. Yeah, the seven hundred in my mind, So I was just one zero off from beating you.
Speaker 2: No, we would tie. No, yeah, no, you were actually the closest.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I started. My first guest was seventy two hundred. I was going off of how many I've got a three hundred wind mag load of h one thousand, and I was thinking of how many cases I can fill up with a pound of powder.
Speaker 2: Oh, there you go, you got close. Encyclopedia Britannica explains that a grain is one of the earliest units of common measure and the smallest. The ancient grain was defined as the weight of a designated number of dry wheat kernels taken from the middle of the ear. It was also used as the original basis for the medieval English inch, which was defined as the length of three medium sized barley corns placed end to end. That's all a bit confusing, So I checked Webster's too, and they say a unit of weight based on the weight of a grain of wheat as an average of the weight of grains from the middle of the ear. So I hope that that is as clear as mud. If you're wondering how the weight of a grain came about. Thank you all for playing. Join us next time. Were you prepared for this?
Speaker 1: You know what? I I've thought about this in case somebody when we were playing in my head, right, they'd be like spencer. You always host. You never get to choose, so you know, I'm gonna let you give the donation this time. It hasn't happened, Brody, but I've expected.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: I think one of the organizations I benefited from the most of my lifetime is Pheasants Forever. I'm not a huge pheasant hunter, but growing up in South Dakota, I was surrounded by CRP and cr e P, which people call CREP. Most folks think of it as like a singular upland hunting area south of cast It also makes phenomenal habitat for big white tail bucks that I'd like to hunt. A lot of them have water in it, are great for duck hunting. So we're gonna do Pheasants Forever. That's right.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves c RPM. I mean, come on, that's right, all right, So five hundred bucks the Pheasants Forever.
Speaker 1: A little little tip obviously, you know that these were hard questions, and this is good for our listeners to who like to write in the number one feedback I would have to them is their questions are too hard. People would like to write in and ask, like what is the highest mountain in Tennessee? Or things like that that are very obscure and it's hard for somebody to come to getting the right answer unless they were like very local to this thing. Sure, So that's that's a tip for our listeners. Make them a little bit easier, and it's easier for me to then make them harder than it is for me to create a good question out of something that's already super difficult.
Speaker 2: You we'll do it again, super fun. Thank you. It has a little work.
Speaker 5: To do, but you did great.
Speaker 2: Don't let Brodie bring you down. So please join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins day great thanks Max. I wish I could say the same.