Speaker 1: Trigger warning death and descriptions of the dead. Please listen with care.
Speaker 2: Lucy let Be was a whistleblower. She probably didn't realize it at the time, but she was because she recognized issues in that unit.
Speaker 1: This is Martin Pittman, a retired consultant, obstetrician and gynecologist and NHS whistleblower.
Speaker 2: She raised concerns, she repeatedly put in datech forms when she recognized significant issues, and she put in aggrievance as a junior in there, she put in agrievance against two senior consultants. So all of that, all of those are whistleblowing events.
Speaker 1: In twenty sixteen, before there were any criminal charges, Lucy let Be took on these consultants after they had had her removed from clinical duties on the neonatal ward. She fought back with an employment grievance.
Speaker 2: From Lucy Letbe's perspective, and I think it's underplay the fact that and this is why it never got anywhere near her trial was to be brave enough as a junior nurse to submit a grievance against two senior consultants was an incredible achievement. To win that in an NHS trust was unprecedented, absolutely unprecedented.
Speaker 1: There is a playbook for how whistleblowing cases often play out, and Martin's story unfolds in a very typical way. In twenty nineteen, as Lucy Letbee's case was raging on, Martin was experiencing his own courtroom drama in tribunal with his own hospital when it merged with another local NHS trust. He had noticed an increase of poor outcomes on his ward.
Speaker 2: I very vividly remember the moment when I decided that I had to act. A baby was injured that I know for certain that could have been avoided. And it was that happening in a close or the temper association with a number of our very best midwife saying to me that they were so disheartened with how the unit was being run that they were going to leave.
Speaker 1: Out of concern for patient care and for the well being of the midwives in his department. He spoke up calling for a meeting with the head of Midwiffrey. From here things got increasingly worse. A complaint was made about Martin. Martin took out a grievance against the hospital. He then got taken off the ward and isolated from his colleagues. If you've been following the Lucy let Be case, you'll recognize the parallels. Whistleblowers have a name for what they believe is happening in this process. They call it darvo.
Speaker 2: There's this thing called darva darvo, which is a technique that's the play against whistle blowers. They deny the issues that you've raised. Then the AA is attack or accused, so they basically accuse you of exactly what you have accused the organization about, and then they use techniques to reverse the victim and offender. So the RVO, I was the victim raising the whistleblowing concerns, but they made me or they tried to make me the offender, that I was the problem. And that's an absolutely textbook approach by NHS trusts to get rid of challenging individuals, which is what I was.
Speaker 1: If darvo doesn't silence a whistleblower, there's another move in the playbook.
Speaker 2: If they can't get rid of you for gross professional misconduct and that they can't get you on an inability for you to do your job anymore, then there's this gray area. It's called SOSR or some other substantial reason, which is basically a legal EAES term that enables organizations to dispose of troublesome individuals. So they basically manufactured the belief that my position was untenable because my relationship with the trust senior management had become untenable.
Speaker 1: When this final move was made, Martin Pittman lost his case and his job. It did not matter that he had decades of experience as a successful obstetrician, or that a judge had officially recognized that he'd whistle blown in the interest of the public. Since then, Martin has become a supporter of other NHS whistleblowers.
Speaker 2: I've been in contact with tragically lots of whistleblowers since what happened to me, just to give advice and to console people that have been through a similar thing. They crossed the spectrum of different areas of professions and levels of seniority. I don't think any group of NHS staff are immune to I mean the recent case of the porters in the counter sug good luck to them because they whistle blue co and perceived a trust are in employment tribunal and they didn't have legal representations.
Speaker 1: Two hospital porters blew the whistle on improper conditions at the Countess of Chester Hospital, the very same hospital that went after Lucy after she filed a grievance. In April of this year. A judge oversaw their case. I took the train from London to Chester to find out how it all unfolded. This is doubt the Case of Lucy let be bonus Episode five, The Whistleblowers. I've come to Chester to visit John Creighton and Tom Jones, porters from the Countess of Chester Hospital. We take our seats in John's sky blue living room, which had become something of a situation room over recent months.
Speaker 3: We've done all our case in here.
Speaker 4: Mission control, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was, Yeah, It's like Leslie Park at one point. Yeah, So we went. We went to ground many times and we had to say, look, we need we need four days and we were sort of seven am till the early hour, was preparing prepping.
Speaker 4: We used a ah, well, yeah, sometimes it's not always accurately, not quite right, and sometimes it gets confused, doesn't it when you load it up? Because it was so contracted the case, there were so many different elements to it. It was quite easy to confuse the computer, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we did upgrade. We treated ourselves for the eighteen pounds a month Gemini I mean the lawyers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we were both financially challenged. John supports a family and you know, I've got my own issues at home, so yeah, we didn't really have legal representative finance available to it.
Speaker 1: John as an experienced porter. This role is often called a patient transporter in the US, but the UK version is a little broader than just moving patients. As a hospital porter in the UK, you're expected to deliver equipment and supplies where they're needed, to move patients between different sections of the hospital, and to deliver deceased patients to the hospital mortuary. John moved into the health sector during the pandemic as a porter for a hospital in nearby Wrexham.
Speaker 3: I've worked at a different hospital and it's just a better way of doing it and it was safer and it was better for the.
Speaker 1: Staff wanting to travel less for work. He eventually moved to do the same job at the Countess of Chester, but here he found that the job expectations and conditions were worrying, especially when it came to moving dead bodies, and this is where things got pretty dark at the Countess.
Speaker 3: You knew and I'm like, are you allowed to all right with this? Because there's a better way of doing this, And they.
Speaker 1: Describe the conditions.
Speaker 4: You'd be walking around the hospital doing more transfers and A and E transfers and stuff like that, and you could just sort of you might open a door or peek behind a curtain and they're just people are just laid out. They haven't even been prepared yet.
Speaker 3: You get the job, so you turn up to do the job, and then when you get there, everyone's just got a blue curtain. And then that's how they do it. Unless you don't it, it would just be something dead.
Speaker 1: They tell me, roughly twenty percent of the time they'd be asked to transport a body before it was fully prepared to be moved, meaning the bodies were not covered properly in body bags, nor was appropriate personal protective equipment provided to the porters to safeguard against potential infection or splashback from the bodies they were asked to move and beyond their own safety, there was also the dignity of the deceased to think of but the deaths in the hospital were not the main issue for them. Their main problem was deaths in the community people who had died outside of the hospital. Dealing with any dead body can be emotional and triggering, but these deaths were often more harrowing.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you get situations in a military setting way you never forget it. There was a suicide who some ladder jumped in front of a chain at a nearby train station. Any had dislocated shoulder and a head injury where it was open and was exposed, and he was brought It was raining that night, so the British Transport Police didn't have chance to tag him and still and prepare him for transport. So their plan was to get him in where it was dry and do it in the mortuary. But you've got to be there. You can't just leave them in the mortuary. You've got to supervise then be in there and then you know, wave them off and shut the door. It was just like a security measure, really, and they brought him in and he was in like a shell suit. So we managed to sort of slid him off their table onto one of ours, slid him into the fridge, shut the door.
Speaker 1: Tom, who was a more senior porter at the time, always found himself shaken up, particularly when younger people were brought in who had clearly come to a tragic end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just affected me. So I was trying to delete it out of my brain and put him in the fridge and I just had five minutes to recompose as myself and then the phone rang again.
Speaker 1: The transport police tell Tom there is an issue. The deceased young man may have been assuming another identity, so.
Speaker 4: We need to come back and try and identify him. So we can go back and tell his mum.
Speaker 1: Mortuary technicians should be on call. Assisting with identifying bodies. Is above the pay grade of a hospital porter. So Tom picks up the phone.
Speaker 4: I've phoned the Uncle Moutree technician and he said, oh, I've just add a glass of wine or something. And it was like three o'clock in the morning and he said, just stand there, don't do anything, you'd be all right, just supervised. Transport police had arrived, pulled him back out the fridge and they needed to identify him by a tattoo that he had on his shoulder and it was on the arm that was dislocated the shoulder and every time we tried to the arm just flopped. Would you just hold his hand while we go up with the scissors. I think, gloves on and everything, but it's just it's just not nice. It wasn't nice at all. So, yeah, that was my experience of just seeing things that I shouldn't really see.
Speaker 3: Someone who lives fifty yards from me and you don't know, and you never know who people are, of course, but as I look down, they actually and it's such a shock, isn't it when you see someone you know? But obviously everyone's got loads of stories.
Speaker 1: The staff who usually work in the mortuary would typically keep nine to five hours, leaving the porters to deal with any bodies that came into the hospital on evenings and weekends, so there.
Speaker 3: Is a bleak for the pathologists. They should come out. There's no ifs of but they should come out. If someone dies in the community, they should do it. I think it was just over generations. It might have been you lads couldn't do this for an hour, and you know, our things progress, yes, before you know it, they're doing it all the time. So for instance, even at Easter, there's nobody in for four days solid, not date or night not in.
Speaker 1: The pair had concerns about what they were being expected to do jobs typically reserved for more trained positions like mortuary technicians, as well as the conditions under which they were expected to perform, and their issues were racking up. They were being asked to move bodies that had been dead for many months without proper ppe or any testing done to ensure the bodies weren't infectious. They were told to unwrap the deceased and remove personal effects, including jewelry and false teeth. At one point, they were allegedly taught how to wrap dead patients using a deceased woman as a prop. They were also concerned that, given the lax procedures, their own DNA might contaminate the bodies of crime victims. This was all deeply distressing to them and undignified for the deceased, and none of this had been part of John's previous porter job at the hospital in Wrexham. So the two look into the hospital's policy on mortuary practice.
Speaker 4: We looked on the intranet's site for any policy or standard operating procedures that were available. More policy really wasn't it On the internet, it.
Speaker 3: Would see sure if it was, if it was our job, then we can't gripe about it.
Speaker 4: But there was complete absence of it. There was nothing there. So rings along bells straight away, now, doesn't it because there's no risk assessment been done. If there's no policy written up, there's no guidance, there's just nothing.
Speaker 1: The response from the wider porter staff was varied when it came to attending bodies that came in from the community.
Speaker 3: Some just wouldn't do it, but there they said, I'm not doing it, So it's goodwill then, isn't it. Some will do it, some are reluctant, some don't mind. Some would say I'll do it, but on my last shift at midnight, I am not doing anymore because you don't want to carry them memory.
Speaker 1: In January twenty twenty four, John and Tom spoke to the mortuary manager, encouraged by things they'd been told in training.
Speaker 3: You did have training maybe once a year, and they'd say, if you've got anything, please come and see us. We've got a good ethos working ethos with you people. We appreciate you, so I thought it'd be easy.
Speaker 1: They raise their concerns.
Speaker 3: You go, you say I used to work in Wrexam. This is how we do it. It's much better, it's safer. You don't do community deaths in wrexum do what allow you in there? So they are undertakers and the columners they have access and they do everything themselves. You just get a forum, so you can imagine getting a form compared to this that I'm o' seeing. This is it's not right. It's not right. So I explain and it's immediate, isn't it. You can just sense with people we don't do that here. I'm like, okay, you don't do that, but what about everybody's in the body big even on the wards that way, Well, we don't do that here.
Speaker 4: This is Chester.
Speaker 3: This is Chester. Mate is shut us down then within.
Speaker 1: Ten minutes, And this is probably a good moment to remember that word Martin Pittman used at the beginning of the episode, the word that whistleblowers use to describe their view of how they are treated. Darvo, deny, attack, reverse victim and offender. With their first attempt to bring up the issue, they were told it was a non issue, essentially deny, So the two porters decide to let it go until John has to deal with a particularly disturbing image.
Speaker 3: I had one more incident where it just sent me over the edge, which was as you do open the fridge, everyone should be covered.
Speaker 1: It was just a head, a severed head, just sitting there.
Speaker 3: And then I said, that is it. I'm going to escalate it.
Speaker 1: After one too many unpleasant experiences in the mortuary, John and Tom escalate the issue.
Speaker 3: The only avenue you've got his freedom to speak Up.
Speaker 1: Freedom to Speak Up is an NHS initiative that allows anyone working within the NHS to raise issues of patient safety, poor practices, or bullying without fear of reprisal. An employee raises the issue with the Freedom to Speak Up guardian or their line manager. This is then reported directly to the board and can be open, anonymous or confidential as requested.
Speaker 3: You go see them, tell them, they're horrified. They seem genuine. You tell them that we need to be anonymous because you know our works. No one had any faith and it did they to them really for freedom to speak up.
Speaker 1: When you brought up these problems that the bodies were just left uncovered, that you know, there was no protocol to protect you from potential infection. All of that. I imagine you brought up the emotional toll that that was having on you, But did you also bring up just the lack of dignity to the patient? Can you describe how that conversation went?
Speaker 4: That was one of our primary it was?
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, it was a massive concern for me. I just didn't think it was nice and I wouldn't want it ending up saying I don't really want to die here. As you go and you meet Freedom to Speak Up, they are completely unaware of these things going on. So after an hour you think they're actually really going to do something about this, that the serious people are genuine, aren't that You can tell that this lady's has no idea this is going on, and she's going, can I have your permission? I need to go and see the CEO immediately about this, and she did, Are you coping? And low? Does others feel? As everyone feel the same.
Speaker 4: When Freedom to Speak Up reported it to the chief operating Now for sir, she said she'd go on an investigative journey to see and try and establish what was wrong and try and get us some answers. But she mirrored almost perfectly, and the questions that we'd asked rather than say, oh, can I just come down and have a look around? Would you be all right with that? And would have said yes, and she could have done it sort of covidly. The moltuary technician in question didn't take much chapter two to realize that those questions were the same ones that would ask find me and John when we went in two weeks earlier.
Speaker 1: At this point, the pair's anonymity is blown, the anonymity that the freedom to speak up initiative promises. All sides now know what the complaint is and who made it, and life becomes way more difficult for the two porters as they're questioned by management about whether they'd gone over their heads to the board. Here we are at Darvo letter a attack or accues.
Speaker 3: So he took me access away. Tom's didn't get taken away, but it was going to be next, so my access gets removed.
Speaker 1: John finds that his access to the mortuary is revoked. Though the level of work that the pair were expected to do was above their pay grade as porters, they still had some reasonable responsibilities to fulfill, such as bring bodies from other hospital wards to the mortuary, but John, without his access could not fulfill those duties.
Speaker 3: I went to see my MP about this and she warned me. She actually said this is very, very concerning and I said, yeah, of course. She said are you sure you want to do this? And I said explain. She said, see, come for you. You will be targeted. Are you in a union? I suggest you join one? If you're not, I wouldn't shot, but I knew it, but I was shot. Me MP with selling me to watch out.
Speaker 1: John shows me the subject access request. This is a UK system that allows employees to access all correspondents about themselves written by other staff members, emails, performance reviews, instant messages. John requested access to all that back in June twenty twenty four. A year later, the documents arrive.
Speaker 3: So this is where the circle the wagons were. They suppressed it and now when you get it, of course it's horrifying. So this is the interview notes that the mortuary manager. So they've got to justify why's done it?
Speaker 1: We don't know the infection status. Some have suffered traumatic deaths. I think there were five justifications put into our sop. That is only community deaths.
Speaker 3: So that's where the admittance that there's no infection the PP and it wasn't an adequate by the way which they did change it, which was one thing, but it shows the PPE wasn't right and there's no infection, So that refers to that.
Speaker 1: I took John off. The mortuary authorized the list on Net two.
Speaker 3: So that's you swipe to get in.
Speaker 1: I am aware there is an escalation process to follow. To me, when someone says something like that, to me, it looks like they have something to hide and not wanting to be discovered. Yes, I acted in haste, then with a logical thought perspective, I was acting out of duty of candor for the patients. That comment made me feel he had something to hide.
Speaker 3: So that is the reason that my accessor was moved. That I had something to hide. I didn't want to be discovered in a mortuary setting. So he then goes on to say, when we get this, do.
Speaker 1: I mean was something to hide in a mortuary setting?
Speaker 3: Well, tops see twenty four thousand dollars question.
Speaker 1: John shows me the interview from the head of nursing who believed that the mortuary manager was acting out of concern for deceased patients when he revoked your mortuary access rather than because you raised any concerns. So she's denying.
Speaker 3: That, but she asked that that the reason was he did it out of concern for deceased patients.
Speaker 1: So as if you were doing something to deceased patients. Yea. So here we arrive very firmly at the final stage of DARVO, the RVO reverse victim and offender.
Speaker 3: So there's three phrases there that that's the reason my access was taken away was because I had something to hide and I didn't want to be discovered. And he did it a concern for deceased patients.
Speaker 4: We interpreted that would pose a risk to disease.
Speaker 1: Pictures because you brought up concerns about the conditions of deceased patients. Another manager went even further in their statement as to why John's access was revoked.
Speaker 3: This is career threatening, this is so our highest band manager. She said, it was bordering on a safeguarding issue. Why remove the access? So there's four things there that mean only one thing to I think to anyone normal. Really, the suggestion that sinister.
Speaker 1: All these statements, when put together, are saying without saying that they've revoked John's access, not out of retaliation for his grievances with the job conditions, but because they believe John is up to something in the mortuary, something he wants to hide, something that poses a risk to deceased patients who need safeguarding. John concluded that they were accusing him of sexual acts with the dead.
Speaker 3: Since the allegations so that point, I'm wrong, dude in a Moltary city. Yeah, it's secretly so that was tough to take. But at that point I said that that's it. What'll we both did, but not until that's removed because that's on our file. It's a grieving so it's on your file. The plain meaning of that is risk. That's what we said. Risk. That's the word with a risk if you've got something to hide and don't want to be discovered, and they've done it only out of concern for deceased patients, and it's a safeguard of issue with a risk.
Speaker 1: Tom and John weren't the only ones who concluded that. John said he received a text message asking him if he'd been caught with his pants down in the mortuary and had to put up with jokes from other staffers insinuating that he was a necrophiliac. John felt he had to take action to make sure further accusations could not be made about him.
Speaker 3: So at that point we said, until it's removed, I will not work with the patient alive the dead.
Speaker 4: When we said we wanted that the risk allegations, all these four bits of information removed, rather than removing them because you can't remove it until you appeal, the process facilities then issued a contradictory statement that said that we weren't a rich.
Speaker 1: So the abruptly reversed course, requesting they go back to full duties without removing the sinister insinuations from their file. But John refused to return to full duties until those accusations were removed, and it took the tribunal to make that happen.
Speaker 3: In the parallel world, they're saying, we never said you're a risk. I'm saying put your tribunal. You're saying it was solely removed because there's a risk element, a safeguarding issue. You're saying it under oath. So we do this, I do it for about four months, three months, and then it gets taken off at the appeal. The day it got removed, I said, I will now go back to full duties.
Speaker 4: It later emerged that they'd use this contradictory document to get you on an insubordination charge for not doing what they'd ask you to do.
Speaker 1: In November twenty twenty five, the pair appear in tribunal and give their evidence, but the core proceedings are cut short when one of the trust's key witnesses cannot attend and the case is adjourned to April twenty twenty six. They are immediately put on leave.
Speaker 4: When we got all the emissions that we wanted from the chief operating officer of the trust, we thought there's no real reason why we should stay off because she agreed to make loads of changes that we'd asked for. So we thought, well, that's our dispute settled. So we wanted to go back to it because the one control they've got over you, it's your finances, isn't it. Because they'd just run you down with sick pay and stuff like that, and you end upon half your pay. Everything's still the same price in the shops, isn't it. So we wanted to go back to it because we both sort of enjoyed the job, didn't we Even before all this happened.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty six. The judge finally ruled in favor of the porters, stating that the respondent's position about pay grade was not irrelevant. The claimants were right to set out that the risk all porters were exposed to was disproportionate to their pay grade and not something that was required in their job description. Because wards staff were not complying with the policy, they were required to carry out checks contrary to the respondent's policy. The claimant's belief that their disclosure was in the public interest was reasonable. The respondent has conceded that if the disclosures were qualifying, they would be protected because they were made to the employer. The tribunal also ruled that removal of mortuary access meant mister Creighton could not complete his duties. It added the first claimant's role, as we know from the job description, involved mortuary duties. How do you feel when the judge ruled in your favor, a.
Speaker 4: Complete release of pressure for over two and a half years. It was a bitter sweet, really relieved.
Speaker 3: I felt vindicated. The most up thing out the whole thing is when the judge said that we were creditable and to me to say that we were creditable suggests that they're not.
Speaker 1: It was a long tough road, but they got the outcome they wanted, even if it came at a cost.
Speaker 4: It's sad that it's during the course of this case. It's completely destroyed that both of our relationships with our wives and girlfriends.
Speaker 3: We didn't see it as a victory. It was they painted the light. We've done it for compensation, We've done it for selfish reasons, or completely untrue. It's just their defenses, as if it was a grand plan from me. So the plan was that COVID would come, I'd lose my job, I'd go and work at Rexham and then after four years I'd transfer to the Countess. Then I'd go to Freedom to speak up. Who would completely cock it up. Then this guy had removed me access, then they'd say I was a risk to deceased, and then they get compensation of what plan? I mean, ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Reflecting on the story of these two porters, I'm struck by how much the institution fought to protect itself against a claim of poor conditions and improper policy by two whistleblowers. How the Countess of Chester would apparently sooner let people believe it might have a necrophiliac on staff, rather than address reasonable safety and dignity concerns. How in the same hospital years earlier, a small group of consultants would apparently sooner believe there's a serial killer on the payroll, rather than dig deep into the systems, protocols and environment that could be factors contributing to their poor outcomes. As I learned from Mark MacDonald and MP David Davis, it's not just the Countess. Last week, childbirth expert Donna Ackenden published an explosive report commissioned by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care into the Nottingham University's Hospital Trust. It found that over five hundred women and newborn babies had experienced potentially avoidable outcomes and deaths due to substandard care over thirteen years. Whistleblowers going forward will have to become an essential part of reversing these systemic failures. As such, they need to be encouraged and protected. That's true for the NHS and for other organizations like the Crown Prosecution Service. Getting them to take responsibility won't be easy. I know firsthand what lengths. Such institutions will go to to cover their own own shortcomings, and so I believe does Lucy let Be. That's it for this series of bonus episodes, but look out for more as the story develops. Doubt. The Case of Lucy Ledbe is brought to you by Vespucci, iHeart Podcasts and Knox Robinson Productions. I've been your host Amanda Knox. This episode was written by Isis Thompson and Christopher Robinson. The producer was Isis Thompson. The assistant producer was Amy Gill. Senior producer was Natalia Rodriguez. The sound designer is Chandler Mays. The theme music was written by Tom Biddle, story editing by Natalia Rodriguez. Legal advice for the series was provided by Jack Browning. The producers at iHeart Podcasts are Chandler Mays and Trina Norville. The executive producers were Joe Meek, Amanda Knox, Christopher Robinson, Daniel Turkin, and Johnny Galvin.